Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Warnings: fluff, mild angst, Emo!Spock




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter Two - Crave: Warmth

Spock loved to cuddle as much as Nyota did. Their relationship had sparked into life quietly, become heated, then overtaken much of their common sense and caution in a joyful blaze before it changed again, becoming a persistent source of warmth that made life easier. As a child, Nyota had read about fires in underground mines that burned for decades, fueled by gases or coal. Their thoughts and feelings for each other seemed to burn just as persistently behind a surface of discretion and formal public behavior.

Something in Nyota's soul had burned steadily for Spock from the moment she'd first seen him walk to the podium in an underheated Starfleet Academy lecture hall. He had looked up from the padd with his lecture notes. For the space of a breath he seemed to look at her as though they were alone in the large room. Nyota was unable to look away, thrilled, frightened, and curious. Spock had suddenly looked away and begun his lecture, but she knew that he would matter to her.

More than a year later, Spock admitted that he knew at that same moment that Nyota would matter to him.

...

Four Months Earlier - Aboard the Enterprise, 2261

During his weekly call to Spock, Sarek had declined Nyota's invitation to spend a few days of the winter season with her and Spock at the Uhura family compound. Usually, Nyota greeted Sarek at the beginning of the call, then left the two men alone to talk privately. This time, both Nyota and Spock sat before the screen so that Nyota could speak to Sarek at length. Spock had decided to maintain a small apartment near Starfleet Academy, where the couple occasionally spent a 24-hour or other short term leave period. Nyota decorated it with a few textiles and favorite objects from home, but something about it remained slightly impersonal. Spock and Uhura planned to spend a few days consulting on research projects at the Academy before travelling to the Uhura compound for the winter holidays.

Nyota tried not to babble, but Sarek seemed expressionless as she tried to convince him to visit. The Uhura family would be happy to meet the Ambassador and show him the natural beauty of their land. Her parents could introduce him to their scholar and scientist colleagues at the university, as well as merchants dealing in raw and finished materials of possible benefit to New Vulcan colonists.

But Sarek politely said no. Twice. His diplomatic services were in great demand on New Vulcan. His calendar was full for the next several months, and he could not deny his people's needs.

Sarek saw disappointment spread across his soon-to-be daughter-in-law's face. His son's eyes widened slightly; whether with in anger or dismay, he was unsure.

"You are always welcome to come to New Vulcan," he said quickly. "Please consider it an open invitation; you may visit at any time, for as long as you wish. My staff will make your travel arrangements and my Ambassadorial quarters are sufficiently large to house many."

Nyota let a flare of excitement travel through the bond to Spock, who gazed back at her solemnly, then returned his attention to Sarek's image on the screen.

"Father, your offer is generous. Nyota? Is this invitation agreeable to you?"

"Yes. A visit to New Vulcan will be very interesting."

"Then we do accept, father. I will consult with Starfleet regarding a mutually convenient leave time. The visit will also provide the three of us with sufficient time and privacy to discuss our future plans. To be perfectly clear, I mean my plans with Nyota." Spock extended his fingers so that the tips brushed Nyota's. The movement was a small one, barely visible at the edge of the screen, but Sarek saw it.

"Thank you for your gracious invitation, Osasu Sarek."

Nyota excused herself from the room. Father and son shifted to a rather stilted discussion of New Vulcan business and weather, of all things, before Sarek ended the transmission.

Spock and Nyota's workaholic habits resulted in a considerable amount of accumulated leave time, and they were able to schedule a seven-day visit to New Vulcan without difficulty. Nyota was excited, eager to get to know Sarek better and experience Vulcan culture firsthand. She reviewed news reports from New Vulcan so that she had conversational topics ready. She packed a few textiles from her home region in the United States of Africa and loaded a padd with novels by African authors, hoping to share something about herself and make friends on New Vulcan.


Spock appeared less excited. He did place an order for a few sets of new, Vulcan-style clothing. Nyota's expectations for the trip distracted her so thoroughly that she did not sense Spock's unease through their gradually deepening bond when they discussed travel plans.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.