Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


An Amazon Story

 

Question:

Why don't Indie books published by black authors often make it to the top of the sales ranks?

 

Answer:

Comments.

Yes, it really is that simple. You hold the power to either blow up your favorite author, or to allow them to languish in obscurity, while less talented authors get to shine.


How?

Simple Formula:

Increased Comments → Increased Visibility + Increased Consumer Confidence = Increased Sales.

 

Then Why Don't We Participate?

I have been told that reviewers on Amazon can receive a backlash from authors and fans. However, you don't have to leave your name. In the upper right hand corner, you can change your name to something different, for the purpose of making reviews.

Besides, these people do not know your email, your phone number, your home address or any other means to contact you, directly.


Why Should I?

Black female consumers buy a lot of books, in comparison with our counterparts in other communities. We are often over-represented in this category. Yet, our independent authors make only a fraction of the sales that their counterparts in other communities make. For instance, one Erotica novelist makes, on average, $50K per month online, because she got her voice out there. How? Comments.

 

Encouraging Our Brightest Voices

You have the means to increase awareness of our literature. Some of the writers on Valentchamber are among the most talented I have ever seen, published or not. Has anyone read Beast, by Onimosity? Why that story is not on Amazon, where I can download it to my Kindle, I have no idea. However, I personally believe that a lot of it has to do with our confidence that we will receive support if we put our writing out there. When you write, it's like giving birth to a child, and when people don't support your work, it's like they're saying that your child is ugly. It's not pleasant, it's not fun and it hurts.

If you've ever read Pepper Pace, then you know that she is one of the greatest talents in IR/MC Fiction of our generation. Yet, she refused to publish her work until someone stole it, because she lacked the confidence to believe that she would be supported, and with good reason. A talent such as hers should stay in the top 100, and yet she regularly achieves sales ranks that I achieve in the same category with one or two sales. That just should not be the case.

 

Social and Economic Power

Authors such as Brenda1257 are leading the way by showing us how to be generous with others. She is taking a portion of the proceeds from her book, The Preacher's Son, and she is helping other authors to get started. However, our authors can only help others if they can first help themselves. In other words, if you don't support, they have neither the social, nor the financial resources to get the next voice out there.

 

At What Cost?

There is no cost to comment. If you preferred to read my book, Amended Hearts, by Noelle Vonham Paling, for free, and have no intention of ever purchasing it, then that was the risk I took by putting it out there. However, Amazon does weigh your comment more highly if you are a verified purchaser. You simply have to have an Amazon account where you've made one purchase.

 

How Long Will It Take?

That depends on the length of your comment. However, most of them take less than five minutes. It probably took you longer to read this article.

 

What To Do If Your Comment Is Refused...

Contact Amazon immediately. A scandal erupted a few years ago, where reviewers were being paid to review certain books. As a result, Amazon sometimes rules out, or even eliminates, legitimate comments. If you don't complain, the board won't review the decision made by the computers.

I have placed several story links below. Any other authors who have published a book, or any readers who are aware of an excellent indie author, are welcome to post their information in the Comments Section. We can definitely make a difference. Do you want to be a part of the solution, or wait idly on the sidelines? The choice is up to you.

 

Links:

Amended Hearts:

http://www.amazon.com/Amended-Hearts-Multicultural-Romance-Chiming-ebook/dp/B00J1AO7UO


The Preacher's Son:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Preachers-Son-B-D-Anderson-ebook/dp/B00I1U161I

 

Pepperpace:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Pepper-Pace/e/B006NYWFT6/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1397070144&sr=1-2-ent












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.