Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The desert winds swirled around him and he pulled the fabric around his face higher. Behind him were women and children, all of them hungry and tired. Soon, they would need to rest. 

“Faie.” His eyes turned onto Avery, who came up to him. 

“The checkpoint is up ahead.”

“Will the women and children be able to withstand?” He asked, glancing at them. 

“I think they will last. Food and rest await them.”

“Where are the men?” 

“They’ve reached the location.” He gave a short nod and turned to the crowd who had gathered, some with crying children. 

“I know you are tired and desire rest. Should you preserve, your husbands and brothers await you at the checkpoint. I need you all to work with me as a unit.” He spoke, scanning for any injured. 

“Faie, we trust you…”

“We’ll carry on.” Voices rallied together confidently.

“Is there anyone who is injured?” From the large mass of people, he couldn’t assess correctly.

“My grandmother!” A young girl yelled, slowly pulling her grandmother through the crowd. The old woman looked fatigued and could barely walk. He stepped forward and reached for her hand. 

“T-thank you Faie…” She smiled at him, her breath heavy with exertion. 

“It is nothing dear Elder.” He said gently, pulling her up to sit behind him. The young girl was small enough to fit in front of him. 

“Let’s move! Dusk grows quickly.” Soon, everyone started to move. He revved up his cylis.

“Hold on.”  Arms wrapped tightly around him. He took off, Avery and the others not far behind. 

***

 

Cheers greeted them as they entered into the checkpoint and he slowed his engine until it glided smoothly to a stop. 

“Are you alright?” He asked the older woman behind him. 

“Yes…yes thank you. Tierry,” He set the child down on the ground and she went to her grandmother. 

“Now we can find Argis and Tol.” She said softly, watching as he helped her down. 

“Should you feel any ailments, please come to me.” He said, gripping her hand. The old woman smiled and to his surprise kissed his forehead. 

“You are very kind. Thank you.” A blush entered his cheeks and he nodded his head as they walked away from him. 

“Faie.” The commander of the region eyed him. 

“Zachiel.” The large man shook his hand. 

“We’ve been awaiting you. Glad your group made it.”

“Same.” 

“Since we’re safe and sound, why won’t we have a drink?” He pulled his mask down and nod. 

“Sounds good.” 

 

***

 

“Have you heard?” In the firelight, he watched Zachiel intently. 

“Heard what?”

“Txeis is about to send parties to destroy these refuges. If we don’t do something soon, there will be no where safe to go. I won’t allow them to kill so many innocent people. This is a good place and I’m proud to call it home. I would do anything to protect it.” He watched as he lifted the glass to his mouth. The spirit of strength and protection dwelled inside of him. 

“I understand completely. It gives life meaning when we have something to protect.” 

“Don’t you have something to protect Faie?” His glass lowered. 

“I did. Once.” 

“Was she your wife?” 

“Yes.” 

“What happened to her?” 

“They viciously murdered my son before my eyes and dragged her away as if she were an animal. She serves a life sentence in the metropolis.” Zachiel paled as he continued. 

“Our crime was escaping the control they had over our lives. And for that, we had to pay.” 

“That’s bullshit. No one deserves that Faie.” Slowly, he lifted his glass. 

“Indeed.” 

“So, are you going to free your wife? She’s still alive right?” 

“Yes.”

“This gives us even more reason to fight them. All of the men here who have lost their women, mothers and sisters… we have to fight.” 

“What of you Zachiel?” 

“They killed my mother when I was fourteen. I too once had a love but they imprisoned her and got rid of her family.” 

“I see.” 

“Those bastards will pay for what they’ve done.” 

“We will make right what has been done unto us by any means necessary.” 

 

***

 

The days swirled together and I had lost track of time. But, how pleasant the wind felt on my skin, the warmth from the sun shining upon me. I kept the note tucked against my breast, its words reigniting the small ounce of hope that once had burned up inside my heart. 

“Xaen,” I turned slowly to meet an unfamiliar face. 

“Who are you?” The woman began to speak in a dialect belonging to my home village, one only a few knew. 

“The resistance has started outside the metropolis. The men are coming to free us. Txeis will fall.” 

“Are you the one who sent me the letter?” The woman nodded. 

“I will contact you again soon.” Before I knew it, she had darted away and I stood alone once again. I had scanned her appearance and stored it in my memory. The language I once thought had died on my tongue brought me comfort. I wondered if I could trust her. The informant had finally shown herself and from the sound of it, she wasn’t alone. The resistance she called it. I wondered what it entailed. Turning back to face the sun, I closed my eyes. I would see about her and this so called resistance. 

 

 

***

 

The summer sun blazed down on him, bringing his body to a sweat. He pulled the hair back from his forehead into a ponytail. Sighing, he placed his visor onto his eyes. Grabbing the welding tool he kneeled underneath his cylis. After a while of repair, he lifted and stretched, the heat drying the oil on his hands, arms and face. 

“Faie.” He reached for a towel and turned. Zachiel. 

“Is there a problem?” 

“I found her.” Blinking he leaned back against the cylis seat. 

“Found whom?” 

“Xaen.” At the mention of her name, he slowly stood straight, his eyes intent on the man. 

“I don’t recall giving you any names.” 

“I have moles inside the prison. One of them made contact with her and told me her name. She is your wife isn’t she?” 

“What was the purpose for the contact?” 

“Jesyra is gathering together a group of women who will oppose the prison system from the inside. I am planning to gather a group of men from the outside who will be willing to retrieve their women.” He swallowed tightly. 

“You understand that what you are attempting is a suicide mission?” 

“It’s one I am willing to take.” 

“You also understand that you will be putting these people in direct risk of being annihilated.” 

“A representative of mine will lead the operation. I will not abandon my checkpoint.” 

“Very good.”

“You will go to her won’t you? This is the last opportunity we have to fight for our livelihoods. While you still can, take Xaen and go.”  His heart throbbed painfully in his chest. 

“I cannot be that selfish. The lives of those who reside in the checkpoints are just as important.” Zachiel pat his shoulder. 

“I understand. The choice is yours. Should you want to go, they are gathering in the public square tonight to go over a plan.” 

“Acknowledged.” As the man left him, he sighed again. Perhaps when he was younger, he would have jumped at the opportunity. Now, being wiser, he understood that there were so many ways the decision could go wrong. He appreciated the passion that dwelled in these people. But, little did Zachiel know…Xaen would not have wanted him to waste his life solely for her. She would have encouraged him to do the right thing and put others above himself. That was the kind of woman she was. Looking up to the sky, he swallowed. He wished all the men who volunteered the best. He knew many of them would not return. As for him, he would free Xaen himself. No one could but him. Glancing towards the direction Zachiel went, the breeze rustled his heated skin. He’d watch him closely and see if he was worth trusting. Whether he knew it or not… there within was a rising up of rage, fire and vengeance and sooner or later he would act upon all three. With or without him. 

 

 

***

 

Silence enclosed around me and my eyes adjusted to the darkness of my cell. Body still and straight, my mind raced with so many thoughts. A small sound shot through the quiet and I sat up, eyes trained towards the door. The sound of something sliding through the nearly invisible crack underneath the door caught my attention and soon, the silence resumed. I sat for a moment longer before I slowly got out of bed. Lightly stepping on my feet I picked up the paper. Going towards the window, I read it, starlight sifting through the thin parchment. 

 

In the garden of sorrows shall you find your chance to be free. 

Tonight unity awaits. 

My hands started to tremble and my throat had suddenly grown dry. Glancing towards the door, I stood. I would go. Perhaps an alliance could be formed and we could have a chance to escape. I touched the wall and felt no life beyond. The guards surely couldn’t stay put all night now could they? Wrapping my fingers around the bars to the door, I blew out a breath. Slowly, the strength within me enabled me to become like water and I slipped through the narrow bars. I willed my feet to remain light and I commanded my body heat to be undetectable. 

Swiftly and silently, I cut around the corner. Empty. I smirked to myself. Fools. Didn’t they know it was dangerous leaving women unattended? Oh the things we could do. I jolted down the hall until I heard a gathering of voices. The sound of rushing water grew nearer and soon I slowed, coming face to face with a small group of women. They stopped talking and turned to greet me. 

“Welcome.” I didn’t speak as I looked through the small cluster of women.

“Xaen,” My eyes met ones that I had seen once before. The same woman. She smiled, hands clasped together. 

“How do you know my name?”

“You’re quite the talk around here. Everyone knows who you are.” 

“Is that so?”

“Wife to the esteemed Dr. Gael Choi, you yourself were a former doctor and director of Txeis Medicinal Department. The findings of you and your husband have brought many advancements to this world.” I chose not to reply. 

“It is wonderful that you chose to attend this humble meeting.” 

“Why have you gathered here tonight? What are you planning?” I asked, looking her in the eyes.

“We plan an uprising. It is time that Txeis be eradicated. They’ve done nothing but bring grief, shame, misery and death to all who has been associated with it. It is time we dictate for ourselves the life we wish to live.” Her words were so passionate.

“Who are you?” 

“I am Jesyra, born in the countryside of the humble beautiful people called Zor like you Xaen. My entire family was murdered by Txeis. Used as laboratory rats, they were taken down one by one. A year or two ago, I stumbled upon this man by the name of Zachiel. He is the commander of one of the refugee checkpoints on the outskirts of the metropolis. He also suffered at the hands of this Corporation and wanted to take it down. Just as I am on the inside, he is gathering men to come for you, their sisters, wives, aunts and grandmothers. Together, we will be a force to be reckoned with.” My heart ached for the man I’d never again see.  the tall sweet grasses and the warmth of the sun from my childhood. Even so, it hurt for what this woman must have endured.

“You knew I’m Zorian?” 

“The language Txeis tried to eradicate still lives on your tongue. The way you operate, you couldn’t be any other but a daughter of Zor.” I nodded, my emotions carefully controlled.

“It is to be understood that what you embark on will cost many of you your lives.” I spoke up, coming closer. 

“We willingly accept.” I sighed and glanced around at the other women. Age mattered not for some of them were elders. They ranged in ethnicity and intelligence but one thing that united us all was the desire to bring freedom. 

“What are your names?” I asked, looking at them.

“My name is Alia…this is my sister Chaye.” One woman spoke, gently grabbing another woman on her arm.

“What is your story?” I asked, glancing between the two of them. Chaye’s face grew sour and Alia scowled deeply. 

“They had selected our mother and once they were done using her, they disposed of her. They blamed it on her being defective and destroyed our family. We are the last surviving members.” An older woman came from behind them.

“I am Mnhanna. They used my husband as an experiment for a new test using acid. Least to say I soon became a widow. I want to live to see this evil brought down.” She spoke, gaze and voice fierce. The others introduced themselves one by one. Then Jesyra spoke. 

“It is imperative that we develop a plan. I am not sure how many more times we will have the opportunity to meet like this.” 

“Would it be possible to reprogram the droids who guard the cells?” I threw the idea out and Alia took it.

“It’s very possible. I would need direct contact with them in order to do so.” 

“If droids can be shut down, the first level of security will be clear.” I looked at Jesyra. 

“What we need is a complete system shut down. If we can divert their attention towards the collapse of power, we can begin to make our escape.” 

“Agreed. ” 

“Is there any way for you to contact your men? If they are to come as you say, they need to know of our move.”

 

“I can make contact with them. For now let this meeting be between us. Lips must remain closed… no matter what.” The group of women agreed and soon they all departed, finding their way back to their respective cells. I however stood alone. Inhaling the night air, I sighed. It was time to let the end begin.






Chapter End Notes:

<3 

D&L <3 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.