Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Soundtrack: Late June- It was always You 

idealism-Wanna Know

 

 

 

 

 

 

POSTERS MADE MY ME. I've had this vision (chapter) in my head for three years...it's time now... 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

The smell of collard greens drifted across her nose and she inhaled deeply. Off in the distance, the sun was starting to set, a multitude of colors blending into one. 

 

    “Xaen!” Turning her head, she looked up to see her mother standing there, a big smile on her chestnut brown face. 

 

    “Come! Gael has set the table already. We are waiting on you.” Eagerly, she inched towards the house, the warm summer breeze tickling her strands. It lushed across her bare shoulders, picking up the tinkle of her bracelets that adorned her ankles. Stepping inside the small cozy abode, she set eyes on her love. His hair was starting to grow again, his short strands singing their freedom to the wind. Tall and strong, he helped her mother sit down and went over to the pot, scooping out freshly fragrant greens and yam. Placing it on the table for her, he inched back to the pot, holding another plate. 

 

    “Aren’t you going to eat?” She asked, standing by the doorway. Instead of answering, he reached out his hand, waiting for her touch. Biting her lip, she took his fingers and he pulled her closer to him. Leaning down, he whispered something into her ear. Playfully, she slapped him on the chest, drawing a mischievous grin from him. 

 

    “Gael… behave. We’re in front of my parents.” 

 

    “Acknowledged my love.” Winking at her, he began to fix a plate for her father. 

 

    “We did right with them don’t you think Aoura?” Her father’s observant eyes settled on the two of them and Gael straightened up. 

 

    “I think so. Xaen’s blossomed most beautifully.” She felt her cheeks grow warm and reached up to play with a few of her dreads. 

 

    “Yes. She was so beautiful.” Hands paused. Was?

 

    “We must hurry and eat our meal dear. Soon, it’ll be time for us to leave them.”

 

    “Gael is almost finished. Can’t we wait until they sit?” Her father shook his head and began to eat. 

 

    “This is a meal they should share together.”

 

    “Baba, we wish to eat with you!” Turning, she found Gael still at the pot but he had stopped putting food on the plate. 

 

    “Gael, hurry up.” He moved not, arm bent over a plate. 

 

    “Gael…” He turned around, his face serious and ominous. 

 

    “It’s time we eat together Xaen.”

 

    “What are you talking about?” He pointed toward the table where her parents sat. 

 

    “Look for yourself beloved.” She followed his body language and her parents sat unmoving. 

 

    “Mama? Baba?” 

 

    “Xaen.” Suddenly, they shattered into a million pieces like glass, bringing a scream from her. 

 

    “No!” 

 

 

 

*** 

 

    “Xaen.” My eyes shot open. Still, I could feel the heartbeat of another living being. I wasn’t alone.

 

    “Who’s there?” 

 

    “I will explain later. We have to go.” Lifting up slightly, I could make out a figure in the darkness. Male. 

 

    “Identify yourself.” 

 

    “Xaen….” 

 

    “Who are you and how do you know my name?” The man was silent and grew closer in the darkness. My eyes had not yet adjusted to the room but as soon as I felt a hand on my arm I grabbed him and flipped him on his back. Pinning him down, I reached for the needle I kept close and pressed it against his neck. 

 

    “If you do not answer me I will kill you.” My voice was soft but deadly. Eyes fully adjusted, I could make out the jawline, nose and lips of the man. 

 

    “You’ve never changed. Still the same after all these years.” I froze, pausing from killing him. That voice….. it… it couldn’t be… 

 

    “W-who…who are y-you?”

 

    “We don’t have time Xaen. I’ll explain later.” This man…. sounded so much like Gael…even his touch electrified me. He grabbed my hand before I could do anything and pressed it against the floor, now hovering over me. 

 

    “We must go. If you desire to protest, I will put you over my shoulder.” I spoke not, heart beating wildly in my chest. He got up and helped me stand. 

 

    “Good. Let’s go.” Pulling me against him, he pushed against the glass wall. Without saying a word, he jumped, forcing the wall to assume the proper position. In a nanosecond, we landed on a cylis and sped away silently, all in a layer of invisibility. My mind and my heart raced. It happened so fast I didn’t have time to think. The only thing I could feel was the fresh air as it hit my face and I opened my mouth to breath in lungfuls. So good, I stuck out my tongue to taste it. Fingers gripped him around the waist and for the briefest second, I couldn’t help but feel as if I’d done this before… a long long time ago. In this way, Gael and I had escaped from enslavement and ran for our lives…  How was it possible that in this same way this unknown man had emancipated me? I closed my mouth and tilted my head back, letting the wind I’d forgotten about brush my neck. Many many questions I had for this stranger. For now, I felt a smile come to my face. I was free. Finally. 

 

 

 

*** 

 

 

 

 

 

    They rode into Chanthy, morning settling in on the rising city. Already, the epicenter was filled with people, setting up their hubs, shops and tents. They looked on as they glided to a smooth stop. Not a surprise that Avery was up and about, in the middle of town so early. Possibly to get his nicotine fix, he turned eyes onto him and knew him.

 

    “You went and got her huh? Good man.” He smiled and shut off the machine. 

 

    “Welcome back Faie.” 

 

    “It’s good to be back…now with what I lost.” She sat still and watched him, scanning his every move. 

 

    “I will ask again who you are.” She asked, eyes intense behind her visor. 

 

    “The man you married.” He replied simply and reached up to take off his helmet.

 

    “Turn around that I may view you stranger.” He did without a second thought and he smirked a bit. 

 

    “I know what you’re up to. Analyzing every vibration of my voice and sudden movement. Quite the cyborg you are.” He came closer and reached up to pull the helmet off of her head. Their eyes met and her hands began to shake. 

 

    “Y-you…you can’t be.” 

 

    “Why can’t I be?” 

 

    “I watched my husband be murdered in cold blood by Txeis pigs. You have to be a counterfeit.”

 

    “I didn’t die.” He spoke softly. 

 

    “No…I don’t believe you…I know what I saw.” 

 

    “I saw them take you away in handcuffs.” He said gripping the seat behind her. 

 

    “I saw them beat you within an inch of your life.” He looked straight into her eyes and she couldn’t look away. 

 

    “I still feel the warmth between your thighs as you cradled my fingers close to you; giving me one last bit of yourself before that bastard was to violate you. Don’t you remember Xaen?” She pushed him away from her with a hard shove. 

 

    “That’s enough!” Getting off of his cylis, she took in her surroundings. 

 

    “Where is this place? What do you intend to do with me?” 

 

    “Follow me.” He led her to his tent and without a word, he entered leaving her outside. She slid her hand through the opening of the tent and came in slowly, taking in everything. It was fairly big in size and had ample space, given to him by Zachiel as a token of thanks.

 

    “This is where you live?” He washed his face in the basin.     

 

    “Yes.” 

 

    “How do you have so many of my husband’s memories? Whomever programmed you did an impeccable job..” He pulled his ponytail apart, letting his hair cascade to his shoulders. She watched him carefully as he turned around. 

 

    “You think me a drone…I don’t know whether to laugh or feel insulted.” He said with a boyish grin, crossing his arms.  She, however, was far from humored and she reached for the nearest weapon she could find, a handgun. Aiming it at him, she held it nice and steady. Ready to fire. 

 

    “You haven’t answered my questions.  My patience is running out.” His grin left and a seriousness invaded. 

 

    “Ask to your heart’s content.” 

 

    “Why have you brought me here?”

 

    “I brought you here to give you freedom.”

 

    “Why?”

 

    “You deserve life and you deserve freedom.” 

 

    “Who are you?” He answered without a breath. 

 

    “I am your husband.” She fired right above his head, moving it downwards towards his heart. 

 

    “Don’t lie to me.” He took a step towards her. Closer she allowed him to come until he wrapped fingers around the barrel, pushing it directly against his chest. 

 

    “I dare not lie to you. But I must admit, after all this time…it pleases me to see that you’re still my spunky little string bean.” That seemed to unravel her and she let go of the weapon, yanking her hand back as if it was on fire.

 

    “There are things between us that no drone would ever remember or have access to.” He lifted teary eyes to her. They mirrored hers. 

 

    “I didn’t die that day. I witnessed everything. The murder of our son. Your arrest. All of it. It tormented me for 10 years. 10 long fucking years I had to play dead while you wasted away in prison.” Her throat grew thick with unshed tears.     

 

    “I’m far from a drone. And you’re far from any hurt harm or danger now that I’ve gotten to you.”  She reached her shaking hand out to finally touch him…grazing his cheek. He sighed into her palm. 

 

    “G-Gael?” Her soft spoken voice uttered his name… a name he had once tried to forget. He pulled her against him. 

 

    “Yes beloved. It’s me.” He whispered against her neck. She felt her legs give out and he drifted to the floor with her. 

 

    “Gael…Gael…” She cried against him and he held her tightly. Over 10 years has passed but now that he had her back, he was never going to let her go again. 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

 

    The morning came as a blur and after so long of lying still, I awakened, memories of my capture playing over and over again in my head. A male body laid next to me, arms tight around his torso. Away from me. Turning, I pressed my head against a pillow and indulged in the sight of him. There were a strand of grey here and there in otherwise midnight hair. Skin once soft and smooth now looked rough. His hands now reminded me of Baba’s. What remained the same was the expression on his face as he slept. His face was relaxed, calm and peaceful. I wanted to reach up and touch him, his brow, his cheek…his lips. But I couldn’t bring myself to. His heat tempted me to come near but away I stayed.

 

     My mind tangled in knots. I couldn’t believe he was really alive…really here. All the years I’d mourned him…Turning away from him, I took in our surroundings. In true Gael fashion, everything was orderly and in its proper place. Hustle and bustle happened nearby and I knew sooner or later, he would wake. He’d always been an early riser. Turning back towards him I curled up into a ball, fingers tight around myself. I’d try to sleep a little while longer, my body begged for rest. Closing my eyes, I fell back asleep. 

 

 

 

*** 

 

 

 

    Standing at the basin, he dipped his razor into the hot water. Staring at himself in the mirror, he began to shave his five o’clock shadow. The sunlight had awakened him not too long ago. Xaen still slept, something he hoped she got more of. After so many years of imprisonment, he wanted her to regain the agency to dictate her own decisions. Gliding the razor smoothly down his skin, he glanced at her from the mirror. She had grown more comfortable this time in slumber, smooth brown skin, slender limbs and soft woman pressed against him. For the longest, he couldn’t do anything but look at her. Watching her chest rise and fall, she affirmed with each breath that she was real. 

 

    She was so beautiful. She was still so small but her arms appeared even more sculpted and legs toned than before. Her once full dreadlocks were no more and she kept her hair closely shaved. She no longer looked innocent and wide-eyed, a hard grit translated in her face like stone. But to him she had grown even more beautiful away from him. Neither one of them resembled their younger selves and that was more than all right with him. After living in the past for so long, they would need to carve out just exactly how they intended to spend the future. 

 

    Finishing up, he wiped his face now clean shaven. Pulling his hair up and away from him, he secured it with a holder. Stepping away, he began to dress. He heard her stir behind him just as he’d pulled up his pants. Turning, he found her wide awake, staring holes into him. 

 

    “Good morning.” 

 

    “Good morning…” He fastened his pants and reached for a shirt. 

 

    “How was your rest?” She kept her gaze level, observing his every move. 

 

    “It was fine.”

 

    “Good.”

 

    “Will you leave me?” Turning fully, he let her gaze travel down the length of him. The absence away had made her hungry for him. He reciprocated greatly. 

 

    “No. I want you to accompany me today.” She stretched, lifting hands above her head.

 

    “Fine.” Lifting, she yawned. 

 

    “There you may wash and groom as needed.” He pointed behind her to the small vanity. 

 

    “Thank you.”

 

    “When you are ready, I’ll be outside.” 

 

    “Acknowledged.” Lifting the flap, he exit the tent breath deeply leaving him. He planned to show her around Chanthy, what of it he had come to know. His camp would be especially interested to know who she was so it was proper to introduce her to them. He glanced to his right and found Avery coming towards him.

 

    “Morning Faie.”

 

    “Good morning.”

 

    “How are you feeling now that you’ve got your wife?”

 

    “Words cannot explain.”

 

    “I’m sure.” 

 

    “Now, you need to retrieve Tyvni.” 

 

    “Yeah that’s actually what I wanted to talk to you about.”

 

    “Roger.”

 

    “Why does he call you a name that does not belong to you?” Both of them turned to find her standing behind them, clothed in that dirty dingy garment of imprisonment. Avery met her eyes. 

 

    “You must be Xaen.”

 

    “I am.”

 

    “It’s nice to meet you. I’m Avery.” He outstretched his hand but she merely looked at it. 

 

    “Who are you to him?”

 

    “A comrade and a friend.” 

 

    “Hm.” She took him in and he remained relaxed, not put off by her behavior. 

 

    “I’m no threat Xaen. Ask your husband about me.” 

 

    “I shall in due time.” 

 

    “I’m glad you’re a free woman. It’s good to have you on the team. Hopefully in a while, you’ll warm up to me.”

 

    “Hm.” 

 

    “I’ll get going then. Catch up with our camp. Let me know when you’ll be back Faie.”

 

    “Acknowledged.” He slid hands into his pockets and traveled away from them. 

 

    “Xaen-”

 

    “Who is Faie?” 

 

    “He is me.”

 

    “I do not compute.”

 

    “I’ll explain at a later date.”  He came closer until he was a breath’s length away. 

 

    “For now, let’s go get you some clothes.” She swallowed and looked down. 

 

    “Okay.” 

 

 

 

*** 

 

    My heart threatened to come out of my chest. I tried not to make it appear too obvious but perhaps I was failing. Everything was so confusing and going so fast. I hadn’t anticipated this in my newfound freedom. My once dead husband was alive and had been the whole time. I had mourned the loss of him for so long and now that I had him so suddenly, I did not know how to react. But even so, his gaze still commanded me. He still owned every particle in my body and I wanted to submit. 

 

    “Do you like this?” Looking up, I swallowed thickly. He held up a dress, one that resembled what I used to wear when we were younger. Smiling to myself, I reached out to touch it. 

 

    “It’s lovely.” 

 

    “Do you want to try it on?” Biting my lip, I fingered the material. It was strange to feel anything other than rough cotton against my skin. You’re no longer enslaved. Reclaim yourself. 

 

    “Yes.”

 

    “Pick what you like Xaen. It does not matter the price.” Bowing my head, I took the dress he’d offered and went into a small dressing area. Stripping down, I gingerly stepped into the dress. Staring at myself in the mirror, I felt tears come to my eyes. The material was soft and white, cascading down around my body. Short sleeves adorned my shoulders and arms. Lastly, a plunging neckline traveled down my chest. There I am. Licking my lips, I took a shaky breath. Turning, I part the curtain and peeked out, looking for Gael. There. Back turned, his hands in his pockets. Quietly approaching him, I cleared my throat. Turning, he grew still. The way he looked at me made me bite my lips and I twirled some. 

 

    “This will be okay?” I asked, fingers balled into fists. 

 

    “It will more than suffice. You’re a vision of beauty Xaen.” Feeling my cheeks grow warm, I nod and began to turn around. His hand grabbed mine, stopping me. 

 

    “Pick what you want.”

 

    “I don’t want to abuse your kindness Gael.”

 

    “Stop it.” He gripped my hand tighter. 

 

    “You’re a free woman now. You must dress like it as well as act like it.” I bit the inside of my cheek.

 

    “Very well.”  I pulled my hand away from him and went to browse the selection of clothing they had. Selecting more items, I went into the area again. After a while, I returned and handed them to him. Watching as he went to pay, I reached up to scratch my head.     “Xaen,” 

 

    “Yes..”

 

    “Select what you will wear now. I’ll also take you to get some shoes.” 

 

    “O-okay.” I quickly grabbed an outfit, one that was comfortable and slipped into it. Returning, he smiled as he viewed me. 

 

    “Much better.”

 

    “Thank you.”

 

    “Let’s go. There’s so much I want to show you.” 

 

    “Lead the way.” 

 

*** 

 

    “What do you do here?” They walked down a sandy road, the sky above them deceivingly blue. The dry desert air was hard for her to handle and she coughed a bit. He’d have to get her a turban. She eyed every person, observing their communication, the way they moved, what they did. 

 

    “I lead a group of refugees.”

 

    “Oh so this is a refugee camp.” Eying the women and small children, she pursed her lips. 

 

    “No… this is Chanthy.” 

 

    “Chanthy?” She asked, turning those big beautiful brown eyes up towards him. 

 

    “Yes.”

 

    “What is that? Where is it located?” 

 

    “It is the invisible city.”

 

    “Invisible?” Her eyebrows skyrocketed. 

 

    “Yes. It’s been undetectable for centuries. Brilliantly masterminded with a field that acts upon the will of the inhabitants.” 

 

    “How is that possible?” He chuckled at all of her questions. 

 

    “You forget the technology we helped create? How far in advance it was.” Looking out at the people, he smiled softly.

 

    “Now, it has evolved into something greater than we could ever imagine.”  She was quiet for a long while. 

 

    “Did we create it truly or did we just help it to progress?”

 

    “The latter.”

 

    “Another lie we were fed.”

 

    “Indeed.” Scowling, she crossed her arms as they continued on, passing several strands of people, women and children…brothers and uncles. 

 

    “How did you come to lead these people?” 

 

    “It’s a long story…” Their conversation was cut short as an elderly man came towards them.

 

    “Miss, Mister…would you like to invest in one of these?” She looked down to find him holding a strange fruit.

 

    “No.” She spoke coldly but he reached into his satchel and pressed a coin into his hand. 

 

    “I will take one please.”

 

    “Here you are young man.”

 

    “Thank you.” Showing a toothless smile, the man went on away from them onto other unsuspecting customers. 

 

    “Gael,”

 

    “This is pretty good. It reminds me of the fruits your mother used to grow in her garden.” She grew quiet, eying it before he put it into his satchel. 

 

    “You quiver with rage. Bitterness and anger ebb from you.” He observed quietly, glancing down at her. 

 

    “It does not from you?” 

 

    “While I desire to eradicate Txeis for harming the lives of thousands…I have not forgotten how to treat people.”

 

    “You also weren’t kept in a cell chained like an animal for 10 years either.” 

 

    “No. But I lived in a prison of my own, a hell even death could not release me from.” That didn’t gather a response from her but that was okay. She’d been through hell. So had he. Soon, the epicenter came into view and at once the hawking and loud hustle and bustle began. Slipping an arm around her waist, he pulled her to his side as they entered, pushing through throngs of people. Being high noon, they had walked into the busiest time of day. 

 

    “FAIE! OVER HERE!” Zachiel. making it through the suffocating amount of people, they came over to where members of their camps lounged, drinking coffee and eating sweets. Upon sight of her, Zachiel stood. 

 

    “Who is this Faie?”

 

    “This is my wife.” His eyes grew big as he took her in. She kept her expression cool and hard, fingers digging into his side. 

 

    “This is the woman you spoke of? She’s gorgeous!”

 

    “Thank you.”

 

    “Man, look at her. Faie didn’t tell me he had a woman.”

 

    “She’s beautiful. Glad you were able to free her.”

 

    “Indeed.” 

 

    “Will she then be a female leader for your camp of women?” 

 

    “We haven’t discussed anything as of yet.”

 

    “I see.” The men looked at her and she said not a word. 

 

    “Doesn’t speak much huh?”

 

    “Xaen…” He lifted her chin to make her look at him. 

 

    “It’s okay. These are trustworthy men.” 

 

    “I’ll see about that.” 

 

    “You got yourself a feisty one Faie..”

 

    “Yeah that’s how he likes em. Can’t you tell?” Laughter spread through the group and he chuckled lightly. 

 

    “Are you ready to go?” 

 

    “Yes.”

 

    “Very well. I’ll meet you guys later on.”

 

    “Take up my offer for a nightcap Faie.” Zachiel said with a big grin, lifting his cup. 

 

    “Acknowledged.” Pulling her away, he went in the direction of the central headquarters tent. 

 

    “It seems you have built yourself a nice brotherhood here.” She observed as he reached for her hand. 

 

    “Yeah. These guys helped me through.” The rest of the walk was relatively quiet as they reached the compound. Upon sight of them, Avery poked his head through the tent opening. 

 

    “Hey.”

 

    “Hi.”

 

    “Showin her around?”

 

    “Yes. She’s met Zachiel and his bunch already.”

 

    “Okay then. Well, it’s just me and another subordinate here. I’m sure Faie told you that he leads this bunch.” She nod, lips pressed tight. 

 

    “I am his second in command. We met years ago in another refugee camp and since then, we’ve stuck together.” Her grip on his hand tightened ever so slightly. 

 

    “I have a wife who serves a life sentence in the metropolis, same as you did.” That peaked her interest some and she let go of his hand save two fingers. 

 

    “Just like Faie here I aim to rescue her and bring her back into freedom.”

 

    “What is her name?” She asked quietly, staring at him. 

 

    “Tyvni. Tyvni Kim.” Her eyes grew wide. 

 

    “Tvyni Kim?”

 

    “Yeah..you’ve seen her?” Avery asked, standing up from his desk. 

 

    “She visited once or twice to a meeting Jesyra conducted.”

 

    “Did you speak to her?”

 

    “Not but briefly.”

 

    “What’d she say?”

 

    “She expressed how she wanted to join the resistance. But after the second time, I never saw her again.” Avery tightened his fists. 

 

    “Got it.”

 

    “Avery.” Letting go of his hand completely, she stepped closer to him. 

 

    “She couldn’t have been too far away from my cell block. Where Gael retrieved me…she can’t be too far away. The prision is massive yes. But, Jesyra gained her initial following of freedom fighters on my side of the building.” He nod, jaw tight. 

 

    “I appreciate the information.” 

 

    “I hope you are able to succeed in your mission.” Smiling slightly at her, he sighed. 

 

    “Me too.” 

 

    “Av, when is the next gathering?” 

 

    “In a few days.”

 

    “There I will introduce Xaen to the camp. For now, I’ll take her back.”

 

    “Sounds good.” 

 

    “Ready?” She nod but not before outstretching her hand towards Avery. 

 

    “Best of luck to you Avery.” Firmly shaking her hand, he smiled at her. 

 

    “Appreciate that Xaen.” 

 

***

 

    On the way back, I lifted my hand to my mouth, the sand in the air suffocating. Noticing, Gael stopped and pulled off the scarf he had around his neck. Wrapping it around my head, he covered my mouth. 

 

    “This air is difficult to breathe. It had taken some getting used to.” Thanking him softly, we resumed our walk. There were so many questions I had to ask but I’d persist. One thing proved clear. Gael had utilized his time wisely in the time we’d been apart. His actions pleased me greatly. He still had a heart for people and he’d risked his life time and time again for this bunch. I was given a reprieve as we came up on his tent. Taking in lungfuls, I sighed upon entering. 

 

    “What are your thoughts? You’ve been very quiet.” He mused, standing near the entryway, arms crossed. 

 

    “I have too many thoughts to name just one.” I replied, taking his scarf and neatly folding it. 

 

    “I’m curious to hear them.” Coming to sit down at his desk, I looked at him for a while before I spoke. 

 

    “You’re very much needed here.” My statement surprised him and he smiled gently. 

 

    “I think so too.”

 

    “How long have you been leading these people?”

 

    “Five years.” 

 

    “Wow.”

 

    “Yeah…they welcomed me in with open arms and allowed me to lead them whenever Tceis threatened to destroy them. I had to feel useful somehow.” Coming into the room, he laid hands on the desk, near an array of tools. 

 

    “When we are not in danger, I take to repairing machinery and curing those who have fallen ill.” 

 

 

 

    “You still practice medicine…” A small smile came to my mouth. He was a healer by blood and his desire to make people well came straight from his heart. Perhaps that is why Txeis wanted his abilities so. The greatness within him couldn’t help but be noticed. 

 

    “Yes…after all this time it has not ruined me.” Coming to stand beside me, he lifted my hand. 

 

    “I have several projects to complete today. Would you like to accompany me or explore on your own?” 

 

    “I want to see what this Chanthy is about.”

 

    “Alright. I’ll be back in a few hours.” 

 

    “Okay.” Lifting my hand, he pressed a kiss to it and soon left me alone. Biting my lips, I stood and went to finger some of his clothes. Pressing my nose against them, I felt tears come to my eyes. Quietly, I sobbed, the emotion within my chest spilling free. My mind threatened this all was another deception brought about by the drugs that once coursed through my veins. But the earthy sweet scent that dwelled in his clothes told a different story. A truer story. We’re really here…we’re really together. 

 

    Letting go of his belongings, I wiped my face with back of my hands. All this time we could have been together… like always… We’d been robbed most cruelly. But now that I had my freedom, I needed to have him be apart of me again. To make me even a little bit whole.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

    A long day it had been. Vehicle grease lined the inside of his nails and his body was tired from the medicinal treatments he’d given. Sighing, he gladly opened the flap to his tent, eager to see her. She didn’t disappoint, sitting in the middle of the floor, sluicing water in a small tin pan. 

 

    “Xaen,” Turning, she smiled. 

 

    “Welcome back.” 

 

    “Somehow I wasn’t sure if you would be here.” She stood, lifting the pan. 

 

    “I share your sentiment.” He sat down at the table, wiping his face with the back of his sleeve. She came to sit the pan on the table. 

 

    “What did you discover?” He asked, watching her intensely. 

 

    “This place is full of surprises and wonders. But I can’t help but miss Zor. The long country roads, lush green grass.” 

 

    “Mm.”

 

    “You could make a very nice life here. That’s for sure.” 

 

    “But?”

 

    “But nothing…Chanthy is a haven. I’ve determined that.”

 

    “I agree.” She gently slid small fingers across the back of his hand. 

 

    “I discovered this pan as well. I figured I would care for you the same way you care for your camp.” Lifting his hand, she turned it palm side up. Quiet, she ran fingertips across the blisters and hard skin. 

 

    “Xaen…” Pressing her lips against the skin, she lowered it into warm water, smoothly scrubbing away the dirt and grime. He couldn’t find words, emotion locked within his throat. She brushed underneath his nails with a small brush until the appearance satisfied her. He watched her intensely as she lowered the other hand and groomed him with tenderness and care. She stepped back for a moment, finding a towel dry and clean. Before she could dry them, he’d pulled her closer by her arm. Touch solid but gentle, he grew her closer still. The emotion that lied in his belly had drifted below his waist and the long forgotten tendrils of desire stroked his blood. Her presence, the force of her shook him to his core and he wanted more. 

 

    “Gael…” Pressing his forehead against hers, he sighed heavily, letting her arm go to instead encircle her hip. 

 

    “You’re the very first thing I thought about when I arose and the last thing I thought about before I closed my eyes. My spirit cried out for you but I never could reach you.” The skin underneath his fingers felt like the finest satin. He lifted his gaze to hers and her gaze mirrored his. They spoke volumes without her having to say a word. 

 

    “I fear you are just another dream. Should I kiss you will you vanish from me?” Without a word, she lifted hands and pulled his hair out of the restrainer. Getting lost in the strands, she gripped them slightly. Nuzzling his nose, she lowered her mouth to his. He felt his body come alive, the press of her lips a slow tender fire.

 

    “Here I am husband…and how I have missed you…Everything about you…”  She let his lips kiss her, roam free and explore. His hands strong and large covered her and she sighed, allowing him to pull her up into his lap.

 

    “Gael…” She whispered as he pressed his face against her chest. He was silent, waiting… listening. 

 

    “I must be reunited with you…I must know you again.” He bent and kissed her clavicle. 

 

    “Very well.” 

 

 

 

***

 

     For the very first time in over 10 years… I felt safe again.  Fingers traced along the side of my waist. Like a paintbrush, they formed lines across my ribs. I could feel my breath grow heavier. Lifting me up into his arms, he stood. I slid fingers into silky hair and kissed him deeply as he crossed the room. A low rumble electrified me as he gently laid me down upon furs. His lips, as soft as I held in my memory took tiny little pieces of me as they left mine and traveled downwards. Tears came to my eyes. My mind hadn’t accepted his existence. But, now…now I simply wanted…needed to surrender to reality. 

 

    “Gael…” He took in a shaky breath, discarding slowly what clothed me. For a long while, he just stared at my naked flesh silently. His eyes were intense, filled with so many emotions I couldn’t name them all at once. Lifting, I brought my hand to his cheek and made him look at me. 

 

    “Time had been taken from us so cruelly. It’s not fair.” His eyes grew teary at once and he soon pulled the clothes from his body until he was as bare as the day he was birthed. His kiss spoke of sadness and grief… crippling grief. I wrapped my arms around him and held him to me as he began to weep. We never did get to mourn for the soul we had so tenderly created that was ripped from our grasps. 

 

    “Xaen…”

 

    “Yes husband?” Lifting above her, he pressed his forehead against hers. 

 

    “Will you allow me to possess you? In mind, body, spirit…even your soul?” Lifting my legs around his hips, I urged him closer ever so slightly. 

 

    “Have your way my love.” With permission granted, he began to take hold of me, lips, mouth and tongue awakening the parts of me I yearned for him most. I gasped for breath but it didn’t come until he had become apart of me, nestled deep inside. I didn’t even try to contain the sound that came from my belly. Shuddering against me, his throat resounded with throaty notes and his hands, large and warm covered my hips, bringing them closer. I felt the wet heat of release tickle my skin but I fought it off. Not yet. Not until I was ready. 

 

    Pushing up, I turned until I hovered above him. I had to bring some sense of normalcy back between us. The time away from us communicated almost animalistic hunger. Tangling his strands between my fingers, I leaned down to kiss him soft and sweet, the way I felt. Arms enclosed around me, his breath warm against my chin. My body moved to a dance of its own, coaxing him to follow. But, his fingers gripped my cheeks, his willing submission. His eyes held power and emotion as I flitted so delicately. Lifting from the furs, he pressed his face against my breasts, breath discordant. You are everything. His voice was calm but emotive as it echoed across my brainwaves. His nose pressed against my neck. Smiling, I pressed kisses to his hairline and further down to his cheeks. He bit his lip before raising his eyes, beautiful and deep. Xaen…I began to move again and his shaky groan gave me life. Let me reclaim you first. In my own way.             Leaning back, I arched my back, lifting my arms above me. Further I went until I felt the warm fire’s heat against my forehead. His breath caught in his throat. I wanted to love him in a way I’d never before done and this was the only way I could tell him exactly what lied in my heart. Closing my eyes, I inhaled deeply and willed my hips to move, nice and slow.  

 

 

 

***

 

    He wouldn’t ever be able to remove her from his mind, not like this. She’d shifted their entire world into another level of eroticism… one they’d never before discovered. In only a way in which she could, she left him breathless. He forced himself to remain still, fingers gliding up across her stomach. Soon, they covered her breasts. He gently followed her gait. 

 

    “Gael…” Letting go of her, he loosely encircled her waist and moved his body weight forward, allowing her to lie flat against the furs. Pressing his face against her ribcage, he felt the urge to climax hit him in the stomach. Not until she was ready. He wouldn’t do it without her. 

 

    “Xaen…baby…” She grasped his hair and pulled, forcing him to slide upwards. 

 

    “I submit to you. Do what you will.” Crushing his lips against hers, he intertwined their fingers and pushed them back into the furs. He wasted no time and the ferocity that dwelled in him crumbled her into pieces. She gripped his fingers tightly and surrendered to the will of his body, a loud wailing cry coming from the depths of her spirit. He devoured her release coming to his own with a groan that vibrated against her lips. She tore her mouth from his, gasping for breath. Pressing his mouth against her jaw, he drew breaths until they slowed. He wasn’t satisfied until he felt her heart pump against his ear. Then and only then did he close his eyes and find rest.






Chapter End Notes:

Finally...







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.