Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Happy Halloween!!! In spirit of everything spooky, I've decided to update not one, but two awesome chapters for all of you. Beware, they are longer, which might be a norm for now on. So without much to add, ENJOY!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


We ran harder and further than I expected, and yet my legs kept moving. Michael led with power, he jumped over rocks and fallen branches, while his boots stomped through the frozen snow. I followed every step he made to leave only one set of tracks, and by Jasper’s breathing patterns, he was doing the same.

We raced on until we passed the clearing where the van sat, empty and abandoned. I watched through the trees as it came and went in the distance; the boys gave it no attention.

As the van vanished, so did the dirt floor. The ground hardened underneath our feet. The snow covered up its façade, but I could feel the difference. We landed on a harder surface, without any give and it appeared to reject the icy mix, made the journey slippery. Trees, now scattered, gave way to another bright opening in the woods, however sounds of water met my ears. I slowed down, suspicious of what we raced to, when Jasper ran into my back. “Keep moving!” He shouted and gave me a forceful shove.

Even though Michael was the first of the boys to slow down, he kept a steady pace, fought against the ice. We broke through the tree line where a dark grey sky lit the area. A small river raged no more than twenty feet away. Nothing blocked the view, and no matter which way you looked you could see the beginning and end of this beast. “A waterfall,” I whispered and looked upon the top of a two story drop. Though most of the water had iced in midair, what stayed warm forced its way out through a jagged canal.  

“Take her to the cave, I’ll continue over the river and lead the tracks away,” Michael yelled over the spray.

“Got it,” Jasper responded. We both stood by long enough to see Michael run closer to the fall, before jumping over. I watched as he disappeared, the mist was quick to swallow him whole. “Come on, Celeste. It’s not far now,” Jasper started but I stopped him.

An ungloved hand wrapped around his arm and pulled him to me. “Jasper, this is our chance. You got the keys, right? Let’s go, let’s run,” I whispered, slightly afraid of my own words. My grip tightened and I pulled him closer to me. “Right now, we can go, get away from this whole thing. By time anyone figure out, we’ll be out of the mountainside.”

However, I didn’t like the look in his eyes. There was a sadness, almost regret, but it was his hesitant body that angered me most. Even though, I pulled, he stood still. “Jasper, I don’t care about your feelings for anyone back at that camp. We got into this mess together and now, we need to get out!” I urged, and pulled harder one last time. I looked into his green eyes as he just stared at me, ashamed.

“What’s happened to you?” It was nothing more than a whisper, and yet his words punched me.

“What happened to me? What’s happened to you!” I retaliated with as much vigor. I let go of him like he scorched me and began to retrace my steps. “They will continue to destroy us and you want to stay?”

“Celeste, they will die if we leave them.”

“Well, let them!” I threw my hands up in the air and looked around at the barren land. My voice softened as my eyes found him again.  “Caring is what got me harboring something that feeds on blood, and you, looking like a fucking hunting dog. We’re not better off; we’re smarter off without them.” I took one step forward and reached out to him, offered a hand for him to grab and yet he took one step back.

“How can you be so callous? They have no one, no fucking plan without us!” He spat, and I lost my patience.

“If you want to believe this ‘saving the world’ bullshit, then do it without me. We were nothing more than guinea pigs before Michael got us out, and I will rip apart everyone if I hear those lies again. There’s no way in hell we are reaching a boat off the east coast within a week when we are stuck on a mountain full of mutant Z’s, and who’s to say that organization will be any better than the hell we just got away from?”

“…but what if Dr. Marab is right? What if there is hope for us to help develop a cure, especially with help for the United Nations. I was one of those undead, you saw me and now I’m walking around like nothing’s happened…”  Jasper approached, until his body was right up against mine. He took off his gloves, and laid both palms upon my cheeks. “I am warm, again. Red blood flows through me, and brings me life. It gives me something to fight for. There’s a reason I was given a second chance, a reason you were given a second chance…” he paused and I knew he spoke of Michael’s actions a day ago. “Don’t let another person die because you are too afraid that you hell might be our only saving grace.”

His eyes held me with such warmth and compassion, reminded me of the Jasper he was before he kept a count of the people he killed, or before he watched his love turn, or before the callousness of war crept into his heart. I realized then, that I longed for this moment of hope since the first time I heard of Haven’s Cove. While it seemed like a beckon at the beginning, it was Jasper who pulled me forward. It was his drive that kept me going, his drive that kept me alive; it was his love that still protected me.

The tear, which took a slow course down my cheek, was wiped away by his thumb. As more followed, Jasper was there to catch them. “We all have the same fears, Celeste, but what do any of us have to lose now?”

His palms tightened and seconds later a tender touch graced my lips. It was a delicate kiss, one filled with all his promises. I soaked in his sweet caress, but carved for more. I wanted to be engulfed in the emotion that kept him going, that kept his demons at bay. I applied more pressure, urged him to intensify, but he pulled away. I watched as his eyes squinted for a second and his nostrils widened. He sent one kiss along my forehead, and faced the other side of the river. I looked over his shoulder to see Michael, with his hunting rifle in hand.

“I thought we planned to take her to the cave,” he yelled over to Jasper.

“We did, and I will,” Jasper responded. Michael said nothing, but continued to stare, however the thickness in the air was not caused from the mist.

“Well, hurry we are ready to leave.”

Jasper snuck a quick glance to make sure I was still behind him, before he took off in the same direction as Michael. I looked back over the river to see that the Seal never moved. His eyes stayed on its prey. “See, we’ve all changed…” I whispered.

I followed after my friend to a rock formation in the water. I watched as he skillfully maneuvered around as many as possible, only landing on those safely implanted underneath. When it came to me, I jumped over the first and went on to cover Jasper’s pattern. By time I came to the bank, Michael had approached the other man.

They spoke in hushed tones, more of an argument, but I barely heard a word. I inched forward when a snap echoed throughout the riverside. Immediately, I reached for an arrow, but they were ghosts now. “Fuck,” I curse and snapped toward the trees behind us. Jasper raised his machete, while I moved closer to the water.

“Don’t move,” Michael snapped, but I could care less. I rolled my eyes at his defensive state and began to back away. “Doesn’t smell like Z’s, actually, I can’t smell anything pass your anger…” I started but the last word was never finished. There was another snap,  and I made out footsteps from behind. I spun around, instantly on guard when I heard giggles and then my neck hairs rose. Danger.

“No, Celeste!” Jasper screamed, as something…no, someone jumped out from behind a tree. A blur of white sprinted toward me and immediately, my fists rose, aimed for its head. “Jesus,” Jasper called, as he intercepted the person and was knocked to the ground. I watched as he wrapped arms around the person in white, before his back slammed against the rocks.

“Oh, no,” the small bundle spoke, and wiggled on top of a gasping Jasper. His hood comforted his head as it fell backwards, with his arms still wrapped tightly around the person; his machete lay on the ground by my feet.  I watched as they crawled off of him, whispered apologizes before it stood and looked at me.

“Violet,” the words slipped through my lips as I took in her pale blue ski jacket and rosy cheeks.

“Celeste!” she screamed and ran to me, her arms wide and body flew. She jumped from a few feet away, and once again brought someone down. We landed in a heap of snow that didn’t wash away from the spray of the water.  

“Ahh, kiddo,” I gasped as her weight settled on mine.

“I missed you so much!” she screamed, and I slapped my hand over her mouth.

“Shhh, or you’ll wake the dead,” I joked before the words rang true. Jasper was already up and held out a hand to Violet.

“Come squirt, on your own two feet.” Violet took his hand instantly, but continued to smile down at me. She offered her hand, but I smiled up at her.

“What makes you think you could lift me?” I laughed genuinely.

“Because I’m better, stronger, that’s what Dr. Marab said.” She stood up higher, pride brightened her face.

I continued to smile, but a taste of disgust crawled up my stomach. “You let him near her?” I whispered to Michael when I climbed to my feet.

“He stopped the bleeding,” Jasper interrupted, but I wasn’t convinced that was all he did.  

With a smile, I pulled her to me and kissed her head. “You are special, kid,” I whispered into her willowy, platinum hair.

“Yeah, I know and so are you,” she responded and placed a hand on my stomach.

“You know,” I asked, suddenly. Not many people knew, and that’s the way I would like to keep it.

“I can hear its heart,” she responded, nonchalantly and smiled. My eyes found Jasper, but he just looked at me, surprise not present. He knew she was like us…he knew more than what he was saying. “Are we leaving now?” Violet’s blue eyes found Jasper.

“Actually, we all should go now, the others are waiting,” Michael announced.

She looked up at Jasper and I with such hope, but completely ignored Michael, and he felt it. We caught each other’s eye for a second, and then he turned, determined to create as much distance as possible.

Maybe Violet identified with Jasper and I, since we all went through the same thing, but why the cold shoulder to the Seal, he was the one who got us out. I looked down at her tiny fingers and frown. Violet would be a problem.

By the time, I entered the forest, Miriam’s yelling ricocheted off the wood. “He split from them and Jasper has the keys? What if there’s no van to go back to? You shouldn’t have stopped him.”

Papers were shuffled, things were thrown, and bags were zipped. I looked around the trees for the source of all the noise, but their camp was hidden well.

“I told you we need her, just like we need to find the brother,” Dr. Marab stated, but his words stopped suddenly.

“Ever think that you might be as crazy as that nut back at the cove, Doc?” Miriam interrupted; her voice filled me with dread. “I don’t care if the pope could save her, I’m not riding anywhere until she’s out cold, so fill up the fucking syringe before Michael gets back,” she directed.

“Miriam!” Michael’s voice filled the trees, but there was no stopping the woman. I listened as a slew of threats, a rant about not trusting me, and curses toward Violet slipped past her lips, before Jasper cleared his throat loudly. I watched as he walked to the right and cleared away some branches and debris, to show an opening. Firelight lit up the space, as shadows swirled on the inside. Jasper went through the hole and disappeared.

“We didn’t leave,” he said, but relief did not come. Instead, her anger intensified. “And we don’t have much time…” he whispered.

“How many?” Michael voiced as people scattered, Sage came out first. He was dressed identically to the Seal, down to the black duffel bag on his back. He paused when he saw me, fear in his eye before he looked down at Violet.

“Glad you found her,” he whispered, before he disappeared right passed us.

“You went missing?” I asked, however Violet didn’t need to answer, Miriam did instead.

 “Goddamn it, I didn’t sign up for this shit, Michael. When I catch that little girl, my fingers will be around her neck,” Miriam spat as she walked out the door to come face to face with me. Violet shuddered and hid behind me, while Miriam paused.

The woman didn’t hide her disgust. Sage’s fear lingered in the air, however Miriam’s emotions didn’t add to it. Instead, she stood up straighter, eyes glared, and approached.

“Well, well, well. Looks like someone let the beast out of its cage. That’s more than I would do.” She continued on until our faces were leveled, like she had some school girl gossip. “I would’ve left your ass to rot like the sick fucker you are, or better yet, just put a bullet through your head.”

Violet gasped at my side, before she broke away from me and pushed at the woman. The shove wasn’t much, but it ignited a tantrum from Miriam. Quickly she reached out and gripped Violet’s face in her fist. “Touch me again, and I’ll do the same to you as well.”

My reaction was instant. I gripped the woman’s hair in my right hand, only to bring her back to full height. My left hand wrapped around her throat as I swung her up against a tree. I knocked the wind from her, and tightened my fingers as she gasped for air. “With little force…”I started as my thumb stroked the side of her neck bone. “…I could break your neck, but I’m not that kind. No,…” and my fingers squeezed, my mouth moved toward her ear “…I would just choke you until your unconscious and leave you right where you stand, so the whole lot of undead’s can feast on your flesh. If you’re lucky they’ll start head first.”

“Fuck you…” she mouthed while her face turned blue. I watched as her eyes bulged and she clawed at my arm. I watched as the darkness I once saw, took over her vision. I watched until strong arms gripped me around the waist and ripped me away. I continued to watch, as her body dropped on all four and she struggled to catch her breath.

I was so far gone in my despise for that bitch, I didn’t noticed the commotion around me, or the intense smell of Z’s in the air. My ears throbbed with intensity as my blood raged through my veins. All the while, Michael carried me away on his shoulders.

“Michael…” I screamed against his back, as his footsteps increased, and we were on the river bank. “Michael!” I called more urgently. The smell of Zs were so close, I gagged.

“Shut up!” He demanded and dropped me to the ground right before the rocks. “Move.” He pushed my back and I went sliding toward the stepping stones.

“There are Zs,” I screamed, as shapes swayed through the trees across the river.

 

“Move!” He yelled once more, and this time when he shoved, I wrapped my hand around his loaded holster and pulled out his handgun. I should’ve noticed his lack of surprise or lack of resistance but the growls of the Z’s were my main focus. I spun around and faced the riverside, trigger finger high. When the first one broke the tree line, I waited, ready, as my vision turned red. 






Chapter End Notes:

Oh snap, Celeste is going to handle business, but what do you think about her and Jasper staying? Also, who wants to Miriam, uhh, that woman. 

Like I promised next chapter will be up soon. Leave me some treats...or tricks!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.