Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey, so its been a while, but I wanted to write more and figure out my direction while the story bug still has me. Sorry if its frustrating, but hopefully, I'll get better with quicker uploads. 

So Enjoy!!!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The scent of Z’s oozed underneath the door before Michael entered the room. Heavy footsteps halted, and waited for a couple of seconds to turn the knob. Black light from the hallway split the room down the center; Jasper was still unconscious on the bed, while I sat beside the dying fireplace. I watched from my knees when he crossed the threshold in full gear, while his hunting bag dragged behind him. Swiftly, the door was shut and locked and the room was once again in darkness.

With my face buried in my knees, I listened to his sounds; the bag dropped to the floor, his handgun upon the desk, even the noise from his hood. Michael let out a heavy breath, but stopped undressing. Instead, he approached with a slight limp.

I gagged from the overwhelming scent, which was now only two feet away from me. Michael squatted before the fireplace and within seconds it ignited with energy. I kept my face hidden as his eyes landed on me. My breaths evened and I sat still.  

Michael moved away, this time toward the door. Curiously, I turned my head in his direction, surprised to see his coat off, and his shirt went next. Muscles bulged under skin, still pumped from the run, while his heavy breathing caused his abs to contract. He examined himself for several more seconds before he pulled his feet from his combat boots. A hiss carried as he leaned on his right leg. Through the intense heat and smell of the undead, I sniffed for blood and came up empty.  

“I can show you how to skin it the way you ate it before,” suddenly, he voiced and I had no grounds to further pretend.

My eyes rose, while Michael stood back up; his injury melted to the background. His eyes found mine and held it with such fire. “You don’t have to if you’re hurt,” I whispered, suddenly shy under his gaze.

“Just a bruise; you’ve healed much more serious things,” he responded, his voice lighter than before, but there was still something hidden behind his words. There was no more trust between us, but my heart had a hard time getting on the same page. For the first time since I woke up I allowed myself to wonder.

A silence swept between us, held with raw emotions and memories of the past. My thoughts were filled with images of him and I before the Cove, or even nights within its walls. Michael meant something to me before…and now; the hurt of what I saw downstairs came back.

With the bag in hand, he returned in front of the fireplace and spread out a black plastic trash bag. He pulled out Jasper’s machete, with its sharpened edge, and sat down beside the spread. His eyes met mine as his fingers pulled the clasp to widen its seal on the bag, and immediately, my hunger hit me.

The nausea came back, tenfold, while my vision turned red. The creature within came to light before I could fathom what he caught. “Before I give this to you, we need to establish rules,” Michael spoke, his eyes watched me carefully. My body responded with a growl; my mental stability took second command. However, he understood, spoke to the creature instead of the woman. “First thing, if you ever take over like you did in the van, I will have Dr. Marab get rid of you. Two, she controls you. If her life is danger, come forth as defense; if everything is fine, stay hidden. Third, I will feed you, no one else. Bite my hand, and you will starve, not her.”

Michael didn’t move, nor did his eyes leave mine. Slowly my head moved up and down. He retrieved a small fur ball and laid it on the plastic. Instantly, I moved forward, but stopped once the machete was brought down harshly on the bare floor. The sound sent a shiver through my spine, and for the first time I felt an inkling of fear within myself. Michael was not satisfied with my reaction. “Do you understand?” He demanded words, not gestures, but he didn’t want it from me.

As the seconds went by, my body fought against my inner conscious. On one hand, I wanted to rip the rodent from his hand and devour its warm nectar, while the sane part tried to fight the animal urges down. Michael watched, scrutinized; his arms kept the treasures close to him.

The hunger pains grew as my jaw locked and vision began to blur. The creature began an obedient retreat into the bowels of my belly. I took a deep breath and took control of myself. My eyes closed as I breathed heavily through the ordeal. I concentrated on the explosion from my womb from all the nerves and hormones. Fast heartbeats, too quick to be my own, pounded against my abdominal wall and the first touch of life sent featherlike kisses.

I gasped as chills spread with the evidence of my possession. This bean grew, and it wasn’t just a hungry bitch.

My eyes opened and the red had vanished, swallowed down and silent with the baby. “It moved; definitely, not what I expected,” I voiced and put my hand on my stomach. I rubbed against the hard cotton nightgown, but there was nothing but toned muscles.

My eyes found the man, his face void of any emotions, but somehow I could see that he retreated. His back wasn’t erect and fingers were weaponless. “What did you feel?” he asked, genuinely curious.

“Wings…” I whispered. It was the only way I could describe the light touch, and if my concentration was somewhere else, I would’ve messed it all together.

“…Wings,” he repeated and looked at my hand upon my stomach.

As the room grew silent, Michael’s action went back to the food. Skillfully, he skinned the rabbit then set it up a small grill in the fireplace. I watched as he sliced the flesh off the bone, delicate this time. Half of it was tossed to cook over the flames and the other was cut in medium cubes. Out came the organs, which he pushed to the side, and scrapped up the bones. It was only when he finished with the first animal that he looked up to me. “I think she got the picture,” he whispered, and uttered words not even I knew were true.

I sat frozen, while he moved to his cooked meat and retrieved it from the fire. He came back, dropped his portion on the bag, and pretended like his words had no effect. “So you believe me?” I whispered, and for the first time I realized how crazy it may be for him.

“It’s not about me anymore,” he answered and moved the chopped pieces toward me.

While the creature may lie dormant, it’s hunger was far from asleep. Famished, no other words were spoken as we both devoured our meals in minutes. Occasionally, Michael would steal a couple of pieces and place them back on the fire. However, I craved only the bloodiest.

“What’s this?” I asked, as he slid a dark piece over to me.

“The liver. See if this is more of your taste,” he said as he observed what I chose to eat.

As instructed, I picked up the soft morsel and let it slide between my blood stain lips. “Mmmm,” I moaned, and my mouth exploded with pleasure. It’s tender, irony taste registered like filet mignon.

“Good?” Michael asked; his deep voice cut through my euphoria.

“Mmmm, hmm, “ I nodded, and a slow smile formed. I ate my fill, dipped the extra pieces to soak up the juices and sat back against the wall. He produced a water jug, and passed it along, while he brought out another rabbit and skinned it.

“Marab has a theory,” he started and looked up to see if I was awake.

“And that is,” I said through half-lidded eyes.

“Well, that you may not be like the Zs at all.”

Instantly, I laughed at the claim. All of my side effects were traits of the undead, so what else could I be. I voiced my opinions, but Michael didn’t share my humor. “You can’t believe that?” I whispered.

“I don’t know what to believe anymore. However…”

“There is no however. He wants to keep studying me like I’m a lab rat, and he’ll use any words to support his wishes. I’m done with doctors.” I shut him down and closed my eyes. I sat there while his words permeated my thoughts and wrapped around the only truth I had. Karen said this baby was the cure, but who knew exactly what it was. We had a link that surpassed a normal pregnancy. I could hear heartbeats that weren’t my own and now could feel movement even though it’s only been a couple of weeks. Maybe the doctor was on to something, but I stood by my words. “Where are we going next,” I whispered, quick to change the subject.

A long pause went between us where I was convinced he wouldn’t answer, but then I opened my eyes to see him staring at me. “There’s a town, Kassbrook, not too far away by car. Miriam has some suspicions, and it’s close to the crash site. It’ll be a good place to start…”

“Kassbrook…” I repeated, with a feeling of familiarity. I knew that place…but why?

***

“We definitely know this place.”

Once we refilled the gas during early morning, we drove the van for hours through abandoned towns and forgotten roads. Michael stopped the vehicle about two miles from our destination in the wooded outskirts, however we continued on foot until we hit overgrown cornfields.

We picked some of the good veggies, neglected from last fall’s harvest and sat down for some lunch. Sage was closest to me, on his back with a cap over his eyes; Violet was not too far, hidden in the shadows of the tall stock. I sat in between two rows, allowed the noon sun to scorch life back into my skin and energy into my soul.

Kassbrook was a small farming town with a big university within its borders. The five mile radius around the town center provided enough space for a good village to spread out, and to keep secured from Zs and people. It was rumored to be sanctuary for hippies and natives from reservations, but Jasper and I knew they took in wanderers.

“About a year ago, we were lost with the last of our group; we took a wrong turn… ” I started, but Jasper interrupted.

“…for miles. For some reason we thought we were going southeast, not southwest. Anyway, we kept going until signs popped up on trees, offered salvation to those in need, I was the most skeptical; no one gave anything away for free to strangers, but we had no leader in our group, so it was a vote.” His eyes landed on me. Jasper was the only one that voted to avoid the place.

“So what did you find?” Michael asked.

I readjusted my position under Jasper’s gaze and closed my eyes. The memory of that day came back sudden and fresh, like it happened yesterday instead of a year and half ago. “We came in from the North side of town, about ninety degrees from this spot. The university sport’s dome sits in the center of town and offered shelter during the war. In that time, local officers and military provided security. They still had stations posted up from the fight, and the buildings were all in immaculate shape, like the town left the city and no one got in.”

Miriam scoffed and stood to stretch her limbs. “But that’s impossible. Looters would’ve came across this by now. Even when I was here everything seemed frozen.”

“Yeah, the same with us,” Sage whispered. I looked over at the man of few words. He was still on his back, cap over his face, but I guess he was no longer sleeping. “Norris gave us orders to stay posted a few blocks away from the stadium, while he got closer. By the time he came back, he said there was nothing.”

“That’s a lie,” Jasper spat. “By time we got here, it was a full on commune. We’re standing in their farming area.”

“Then where are the people? If what Miriam and Sage have said is true, then they are not protected within glass windows that hasn’t been boarded up. And why not drive away; why not leave if there are ample vehicles?” Dr. Marab questioned, concern etched into his brow.

“Don’t know. We didn’t stay long enough.” Jasper pointed toward town. “They abandoned us and I didn’t care to ask.”

“I bet you regret that now,” Miriam whispered, but it was loud enough for everyone to hear.

Jasper shot her a look; there was no room for denial. Given what I knew now, I would’ve abandoned him too. But every place had it flaws, and I knew exactly what was in this one. “We stayed one night, camped out on the borders.” Jasper’s eyes flew to me as I spoke up to  reveal a secret that changed the fate of our group; the truth that split us apart. “When everyone was asleep, a couple of us snuck away to get a closer look at this sanctuary. Miriam you’re right, everyone abandoned their stores, their homes, the town, but they never left. They stayed in the stadium, made it home and only ventured out for security detail. We witnessed a shift change and learned what they used for their entry way. I was the first to go in.” I thought back to the massive hallway, which still held chairs and tables. It led toward a sprawling concourse, but only remnants of the survivors were left. I remembered breathing deeply, only to be consumed with the smells of plants. “Pitch black, everything was so dark, but smelled so safe. No smell of Z’s, no smell of death or dirt. It was all so very quiet, empty, and yet filled with a florally scent.”

“Were you guys caught?”

“No. We ventured around for an hour and all we found were weeds on the field and a hole in the ceiling. It was beautiful, ethereal, but something was wrong. We entered the bowl and I climbed up some steps to get a better view; the moon provided enough light to cover the floor. That’s when I noticed the movements. Shadows raced through the weeds toward us, fast and hard, but why we didn’t smell them, I thought. Instantly, it came to me.”

“Those weren’t weeds…” The doctor stated, only for Sage to intercept.

He sat up and looked straight at me. “When Norris returned he called it a greenhouse, but it was a trap. They must’ve found a way to mask the smells with flowers.”

“Maybe the same tool they used for the town,” Michael piped up and I noticed that he was on high alert, his rifle raised. “Everyone break is over.”

“What is it?” Miriam asked with her military weapon high, her back toward the group. My eyes found Jasper, who too, was alerted.

I jumped to my feet and approached. “Do you smell anything?”

“Nothing by corn,” he answered however there was discomfort amongst the group. I turned away to load up my back pack and retrieved my bow. Violet was up from her nap, but even she felt the change.

“What’s wrong,” she whispered underneath a wicker sun hat she stole from the farmhouse.

“Z’s!” Jasper whispered and pointed toward the woods behind us. Though it was a mile away, there weren’t many places to hide in the fields.

“Toward the town, move,” Michael ordered and we quickly obeyed.

Jasper took lead, running until we intercepted a row that led straight to town. I followed closely, kept my feet from crunchy down on any fallen leaves or corn. Violet was right at my side, her head down to hide as much skin for the sun; Sage brought up the rear.

“They’re gaining,” Jasper whispered, and looked at me. I nodded, knew exactly what he wanted. Ever since I picked up the bow, I was always the first strike against the Zs because I was always the quietest.

“Violet stay close to Jasper,” I demanded but she hesitated, on the verge of refusal. “Stay with him, I’ll find you later,” I ordered and shoved her toward the guy. “There’s a couple of doors south of the building, hidden behind a couple of dumpsters. I’m meet you inside…” and I thought of a random section number. “210, Row H.”

Jasper nodded, and I watched as he grabbed Violet’s tiny, translucent hand. Quickly, they jumped through the row and raced toward the town center. I turned around and faced the woods only to stop facing Sage.

“You should go,” I whispered toward him.

The man held up his firearm, equipped with a silencer and smiled. “My attack is silent, too.”

“Fine, but don’t try to save me. Worry about yourself,” I stated, and then suddenly took off towards the road.

Fast, I sped under the sun, through the heated pasture, while Sage followed my every move. We needed to find higher ground, but I also wanted some of the Zs to follow me.

Sage caught up to me, jumped to the row adjacent to mine and we both ran at top speed; however the race didn’t last long.

Dirt stain boots slid amongst the soil to stop ourselves quickly. My body fell backwards, and I braced for the impact as Sage positioned his rifle up during his fall. With a quick exhale, I heard him whisper two and then his trigger finger moved.

In front, straight down the row, a cluster of Z’s moved fast, determined. They caught scent of something, not us, not even after Sage took down two. The bullet passed through the cranium of one and entered the back of the neck of another. Quickly, I sat up to watch some of the undead trip over the fallen, but they moved with such ambition.

“Get up,” Sage appeared with a hand out to me. I took his offer and he pulled me to my feet immediately. “They’re after something, and I don’t think it’s us. Something else is calling them.”

I watched behind him as more raced past, even the disfigured slugs. “Where are they going?”

“Into town?”

And then I had a flashback of the military school. The Zs moved, programmed to come, identical to those I faced in the courtyard. They were summoned, trained, but by who? “Come on,” I yelled and now raced through the rows of corn.

Sweat beaded against my brow as I pushed harder through the field. I tracked the Z’s movement and followed them with as much vigor. I could feel Sage beside me, fighting the same battle of endurance, but we couldn’t stop now. Someone was behind this.

My controlled breathing was harsh and short as we neared the end of the rows. The undead were now taking a harsh left, opposite of where we were. By now, my nose picked up on their intense odor and I couldn’t believe I missed it before.

A hand caught my wrist before I raced straight into the road. Sage pulled me back to him and we both landed on the leaves of the last crop row. “They’ll see you,” he whispered.

“They’re distracted…”

“Or maybe the corn has messed with they’re sense like it did to you and Jasper. We can’t take chances. Where is the stadium?”

I pointed right in front of us. “About five blocks in from here.”

“Good, we’ll stay to the alleyways, got it?”

“Yes,” I nodded.

“Okay, on a count of three, guns high and keep moving, no matter what. One…”

My body exploded with heat, and my vision became shaky, red.

“…two…”

The creature I carried pulled at me, with a strength that spread chills up my spine. It enticed me with its control and heightened awareness. She would protect herself no matter what, and me.

 

“…three…”






Chapter End Notes:

I broke this chapter up, so II should come soon. 

Thanks for reading, your thoughts are welcomed. 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.