Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 photo tobias_zpsc9558a7f.jpg




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


"So... why do you think you need to do this?" Alexa leans over the counter with her mug of coffee to get a better view of the laptop screen.

"My willpower is practically non-existent. This could help me break bad habits and change my life." I've been battling my fluctuating weight for years.

"But you're not fat," Alexa looks at me with a serious and confused stare. "You got a good body on you girl. I'd kill for hips like that." Alexa has always been a stick with an appetite and I've always envied her for it.

Running my hands over my wide hips. Hips that have brought me nothing but harsh comments from my peers all through school.

Camp Outlook is a co-ed weight loss camp for people 13-19 years old. I've had my eye on it since I was 15 but couldn't afford the outrageous cost. But I'm 18 now, an actual adult and this was my last chance to get into Camp Outlook. I've been saving all year and 19 is the age cut off, so it's now or never.

"Personally I think you should put that money towards college but I can see this is important to you so I'll support whatever you do."

"You're the best." Alexa has never let me down in the 5 years I've known her. "Help me pack?"

***

The camp is huge. Land for miles and there are cabins scattered everywhere. So many campers of all different sizes that this place actually looks like a regular camp to an unknowing person.

"Campers, check the boards to see where you'll be bunking." The loudspeaker blares instructions. The various boards are hanging on buildings, poles, and any other place able to hold it so I don't have to fight my way to get to one.

Cabin #12: Bunk leader Tobias

Chole Anez, Rosie Appel, Denise Friberg, Joss Messer, Abbey Sieder, Jenifer Williams

The cabin is on the other side of the camp closer to the lake. I set off lugging 2 suitcases and backpack 2 miles to get there while having a look around. Swimming pool, horses, archery, not really interested in any of those things but what the hell, I'm an adult now so it's time for reinvention. I could come out of here as some sort of badass horse taming archer... that swims. Anything could happen.

At the cabin a guy is sitting on the cabin steps flipping through a clipboard.

"You must be in my cabin," he stands to greet me. He's handsome in a weird indie kind of way with a deep voice that doesn't fit his face. I like him already.

"So you're the bunk leader Tobias?" I set my luggage in the dirt and flex my finger. I must have been gripping the luggage too tight.

"Yes ma'am and wait I can guess which one you are," His eyes shift from my face to the clipboard and back to my face. "Help me out here," he laughs and wow his smile is pretty.

"Joss,"

"I was gonna say Rosie. You look more like a Rosie."

"Somebody call me name?" A short, dark brown, curvy brunette pops up from behind the cabin. "Am I late?"

"Right on time. I'm Tobias and this is Joss." Rosie, who clearly doesn't care about boundaries hugs us both at the same time. Tobias looks at me panicked and I just shrug because I don't know what the hell is going on either.

By the time she lets go a crowd of other bunkers has gathered around.

"We don't have to hug do we?" A girl asks.

"No, not required. Not even suggested." Tobias brushes off his already clean clothes and puts a little distance between him and us girls.

"Sorry, I get excited." Rosie waves. I'll admit she's adorable.

"Ladies. My name is Tobias but everyone calls me Obie and I will be your bunk leader. I am also the Camp nutritionist, Lifeguard, and hiking instructor. Although my time is spread a bit thin I assure you Bunk Leader is my most important position and I take it very seriously. If you need me do not hesitate, I will drop everything." Tobias looks around the cabin at his new charges. "Roll call," his clip board reads that he should have 6 girls in this cabin and everyone is accounted for. "I'll give you all a minute to get to know one another. When I come back I'll be giving you a tour." He waves and walks off towards a circle of other bunk leaders.

"Whoa Tobias is hot,"

"It's Obie, remember."

"Oh, I won't forget."

"Should we go around and introduce ourselves?"

"Do we have to?" Says the girl who also objected to hugs.

"I'm Chloe," she's tall, olive toned, and slim with broad shoulders and a pixie cut. "I'm 17 and I play guitar in a band." She smiles and waves at everyone, she seems really sweet.

Everyone faces the next girl.

"I'm Jenifer," she flatly says. So all I know about Jenifer is she doesn't like hugs and I don't think she likes people. She's light skin with a curly bun atop her head and fresh Nikes that will no doubt still be fresh when camp ends because if they're not I'm sure she'll take a life.

"I'm Rosie and don't worry Jenifer, I'll make sure you like it here." She winks at her and Jen smiles a little.

"Denise. And I can't be the only one here who thinks our bunk leader is hot as hell." Denise is average. That's really the only way I can put it. She's white, brown hair, average weight, wearing average clothes.

"I'm Abbey. It's nice to meet you all." Abbey is pretty which is weird because her and Denise don't look that much different. Same skin, hair, weight, but something about Abbey is really beautiful compared to Denise.

"Hey I'm Joss, I hope this summer goes by quickly." If I had the power to blink and start my new life, I would.

"Should we say why we're here?" Chloe asks.

"Don't you think that's personal?" Jen is right. I'd prefer if we didn't.

Tobias is making his way back to the cabin and Denise is making weird gestures. I can tell she's going to make him uncomfortable. "Ready for a tour ladies?"

"Ladies, this here is the camp clinic. You get to meet with me twice a week, one on one then as a group to discuss nutrition. Doesn't that sound exciting?" Some of the ladies grumbled no. "No? I'll have you know I make nutrition very exciting. Give it a chance."

"Here we have the pool, where I'll be guarding your lives so it's in your best interest to get on my good side unless you want to drown." A few of the girls laughed and rolled their eyes. I like watching him as he enthusiastically talks about all the water activities available. He just seems so excited to get us doing these things.

"There are hiking trails all over this place. You can go at any time as long as you don't go alone. Always bring a hiking instructor, it could be me or one of the dozen others but never alone. So how many here like hiking?" Abbey raises her hand. "Good looks like we'll be hiking buddies." Abbey smiles sheepishly. "Ok, on to the dining hall so you can meet the rest of the crew."

Gathered at the dining hall the camp director welcomed us all.

"So here at Camp Outlook things run a bit differently. Your days are mostly planned by your bunk leaders. We do camp wide activities as well but most of your fun will be had amongst your bunkmates and possibly the surrounding cabins. So now I'm going to let the staff introduce themselves so you can get to know them a little better."

"My name is Joshua. I'm 20 years old and I was actually a camper here when I was 16. This is my first year as a counselor and I'm really excited. I'm a hiking instructor and lifeguard. Don't be afraid to approach me for anything I'm here to help, especially if you are drowning." Joshua was a tall, thin man working on a 5 o'clock shadow. He had a big genuine smile and seemed eager to please.

"I'm Kristen. I'm 24 and this is my third year here. I teach horseback riding and I'm one of the camp nurses. The nurses' station is located right off the dining hall so you have no excuse to not stop by and say hello." Kristen is perky with dark hair and a close lipped smile.

"Hey guys I'm Tobias," he waltzes to the front of the room.

"But we can call you Obie!" Denise from our bunk yells and Tobias laughs and winks at her. Denise practically swoons.

"Yes you can call me Obie. I'm 22 years old and this is my second year here. I am the camp nutritionist so it's kinda important that you know me. You'll all be seeing me once a week and if you're in my bunk it will be twice a week. I'm also a lifeguard and hiking instructor. We'll all be seeing a lot of each other this summer so I hope we can have a comfortable relationship. I really look forward to fun summer with you all." As the rest of the counselors introduced themselves I zoned out and focused on Tobias. He strolled back to the rest of the staff smiling and laughing amongst themselves.

As the evening winds down we're allowed to wander and make ourselves at home. There's a creek behind our bunk with a hammock someone has set up, I seclude myself there. My bunkmates are interesting, my bunk leader is hot, and it sounds like this could be the summer that changes my life.






Chapter End Notes:

I know summer is over but this was on my mind while I was supposed to be finishing a paper. 

WIP so yay or nay?

Yal know how I am with WIPs but I wrote all this and couldn't not share it you know?

I'm trying to come back to you guys







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.