Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


CHAPTER 14: Sunday Dinner

Waking up to jubilant birds chirping outside and sunlight streaming in through the window, Sam raised up his head to find that he was alone in Tara's bed. The clock radio on the night table beside him showed 8:30 AM. Looking around the small room, he saw two low bookshelves crammed with books and stacks more on the floor against the wall and on the dressing table. Tara surely had a passion for books. He chuckled remembering seeing her reading at the bar on slow days.

Stretching and flexing in the bed while he was on his back, he then paused and stared at the ceiling and thought about their early morning romp. Making love with Tara without using rubbers was beyond powerful. Their bodies and minds connected in a way he'd never experienced before. The feeling was so strong and so honest. Honest, he played the word over and over in his head. I'm the one who isn't honest in this relationship, he thought to himself. I must tell her.

Hearing the floor boards creak, he quickly flipped on his side with his back facing the door and then shut his eyes. Feeling Tara's presence and her cool soft lips on his exposed cheek, he quickly rolled on his back and grabbed her. Pulling her on top of him, she squealed in delight. Wrapping his arms around her he held her hostage.

"Hey beautiful." he said looking directly into her brown eyes, their faces just inches apart.

With her hands resting on his bare chest, she said with a twinkle in her eyes, "Hey handsome."

"Hungry?" she asked giving a radiant smile.

"Hmm, for you, always." Sam growled and kissed her neck.

"Sam, I meant, do you want to eat?" Tara giggled and squirmed in his arms.

"Yes. You. Spread 'em." he replied grinning devilishly and licking his lips.

"Argh! I give up." Tara bowed her head and chuckled burying her forehead between his pecs.

Loosening his grip, his stomach began to grumble loudly. Tara lifted her head up, looked at him then said with one brow arched, "Uh huh. Right."

Rolling off of him, she got to her feet and walked over to her dressing table. She was dressed in nothing but his cotton button-down shirt. Seeing her in his favorite blue plaid with its sleeves rolled up at her elbows, Sam thought she looked sweet, a stark contrast to the sultry seductress who ignited fires of desire in him just few hours ago. Sitting up, he then scooted back until his back was leaning against the headboard behind while lilac sheets covered him from the waist down. While her back was to him, he told her that she looked adorable. She giggled and told him"Thanks, so do you." Just as he was about to say something else, she turned around.

"Ta-dah!" she exclaimed.

Smiling prettily she placed a breakfast tray over his lap. Coffee, orange-juice, eggs sunny side up, pancakes, bacon, and, a small bowl of strawberries were neatly arranged before him.

"Wow!" Surprised, Sam smiled broadly.

"Eat up before it gets cold." Tara warned.

"Thanks honey." Sam reached up to her and pulled her to his lips then he kissed her softly.

"How about you, aren't you eating too?" Sam asked already crunching on a strip of bacon.

"You didn't see me making two trips up here now did ya sleeping head." Tara winked at him over her shoulder as she retrieved her own breakfast tray waiting on the dressing table.

***.

As planned Tara met Sam at his place by twelve noon. Moments later, they headed for Aunt Vie's in his truck. On the way Sam spoke about Aunt Vie. His face lit up every time he mentioned her name. It was obvious to Tara that Mrs. Thompson was very special to him. He spoke about her moving to Louisiana from Georgia two years ago after retiring as a senior clinical administrative nurse. He added that she'd worked twelve years as a registered nurse in Jamaica before the Thompson family immigrated to the U.S. and after working five years at the hospital in Georgia, she went back to school and did some part-time courses gaining her masters degree within two years.

"Holding down a job and studying while raising a family ain't easy. She's a remarkable woman." Tara said looking out the window as Sam drove along the highway.

"Yes, she is, remarkable." Sam said in agreement.

"Ever thought of completing your bachelor's?" he asked.

"It's something that is always in the back of my mind." Tara sighed.

"Well, I think you should. You're smart, you can do it." Sam encouraged.

"Yeah, I think I will." Tara perked up.

Though it was mid November, it was unseasonably warm and it still felt like another summer day. Sam pressed the doorbell once and waited. Right beside him was Tara looking cute in dark blue skinny jeans and off-white peasant blouse. Beige wedge sandals completed the look. With her hair pulled to one side in a low ponytail, dark curls hung over one shoulder and long bangs parted in the middle framed her oval face. Her sapphire drop earrings dangled from her small neat ears.

"You look beautiful." Sam said and held her hand as he looked adoringly in her tender brown eyes.

"Thanks baby. So do you, look handsome, I mean." Tara smiled and thought how cute he looked in his white polo shirt and loose fit jeans.

"What you got there?" Sam asked looking at the yellow bag in her other hand.

"It's a silver picture frame for Mrs. Thompson. Do you think she'll like it?"

"Oh yes, she will." Sam said with certainty.

Then the door opened up and they were greeted by a brilliant smile. "Hey!" Aunt Vie exclaimed and she opened her arms to them. She hugged them together when they bent down. Wearing a yellow satin short-sleeved blouse and boot-cut jeans, Aunt Vie stood before them with her dark brown shoulder-length hair neatly styled with red streaks in the front. For a woman in her early sixties, she looked more like a woman in her mid forties. Holding Tara at arms length, she said,

"Miss Tara, yu look pretty as ever."

"Thank you Aunt Vie. You look marvelous." Tara kissed her on the cheek then handed her the gift bag.

"For me?" Aunt Vie eyes widened as she took the bright yellow bag from Tara. With bold enthusiasm, she dug into the bag and pulled out a nine by fourteen silver picture frame with delicate engraved designs.

"Oh this is perfect. It's beautiful. Thank you!" Aunt Vie said and hugged her again.

"My turn." Sam chuckled and proceeded to pick up the tiny woman clear off the ground. Setting her back on her feet, she laughed out loudly and said,

"Sammy, yu just love to lift up di girls eeeh."

"Not all the girls Auntie, just two." Sam smiled at her and winked at Tara. Turning around he stooped down. Turning back around to face her, he presented her with a box containing six bottles of red wine.

"Sammy, you remembered. Thank you! Alright, come on in guys." Aunt Vie said then closed the door once they were inside.

The house was one of those older homes that was at least a hundred years old. It had its original crown moldings and wide plank oak flooring. Although Aunt Vie had only lived there a two years, clearly the previous owners kept it well maintained. Of course it had her own touches. For starters, the entire length of wall in the hallway leading to the large living room was decked out with family pictures. There were at least twenty pictures hanging on that wall. Tara noticed that no two frames looked alike and that they were all around the same size, similar in size to the one she'd given her.

There was a black and white wedding picture of Mr. and Mrs. Thompson. Tall lean and wide shouldered was Uncle Ronnie, as Sam fondly called him. Dark skinned with with fine handsome features, he looked like a professional basketball player. Next to him was Aunt Vie looking as beautiful as ever in a gorgeous white wedding dress. Scanning the other photos, Tara saw another one with Aunt Vie holding two babies in her arms, Marvin and Martin no doubt.

"Hey, there I am." Sam said pointing at a photo of a teenage version of himself standing right smack in the middle of the twins with both his arms slung around their necks. Beside the three smiling boys was an African bull elephant and its trainer while tents stood in the backdrop.

"Oh, you were all at a circus." Tara said.

"Yes we were. Martin was particularly fascinated in the elephant and begged the trainer to let him ride him which of course never happened but was lucky enough to be able to touch his trunk."

"Wow. I wonder what that is like." Tara said while bending at the hips and leaning in for a closer look at the photo.

"What, touching an elephant's trunk?" Sam asked standing directly behind her paying close attention to her sexy curves.

"Yeah." Tara replied oblivious to Sam's roving eyes.

"I'll let you touch mine." Sam whispered in her ear brushing his growing erection against her butt.

"Jeez Sam! What's come over you?" Tara whispered loudly then playfully elbowed him in the ribs.

Then Aunt Vie called out from the kitchen, "Sam, how about setting the table and opening one of the bottles of wine."

"Yeah Sam, why don't you go make yourself useful." Tara chuckled mockingly.

Sam yelled, "OK Auntie" then groped Tara's breasts on his way to the dining room leaving Tara to roll her eyes and sigh exasperatingly.

Just as Tara was about to head for the kitchen, a lone photo of a collie caught her eye and for some odd reason there was something familiar about that dog. Shrugging her shoulders, she left the wall of pictures behind. Meeting Aunt Vie in the large bright updated kitchen, she helped make the salad, the last thing that was left to do as everything else, oxtail, roasted chicken, ham, rice and peas, candied plantain were already done. Almost immediately the two women bonded and chatted and laughed away while they chopped and sliced vegetables.

Standing shoulder to shoulder with Aunt Vie at the counter, Tara asked,

"Aunt Vie, what did Sam whisper to you in your ear the night of the party?"

Aunt Vie smiled and said, "He said, 'Auntie, she's the one'"

On hearing this, Tara's heart somersaulted in her chest. Suddenly she felt weak at the knees and her mouth dry. Aunt Vie noticing something was up immediately had her sit down on a stool. Then, she poured some warm tea from a thermos into a mug.

"Here, drink dis." Aunt Vie said placing the mug in Tara's hands and proceeded to rub her back. Even through her blouse, Tara couldn't help but notice how feverishly warm Aunt Vie's hands felt. Just like Sam's.

After taking a few gulps, Tara felt her old self coming back, at least on the outside. On the inside her heart raced as doubt and fear was forcing their ways back in. With her back to the entrance way, she didn't notice that Sam had been standing at the threshold watching. With a concerned look upon his face, Sam looked at Aunt Vie for answers and mouthed what's wrong. Making sure that Tara wasn't watching, Aunt Vie silently motioned to him to leave them be. Once he was out of sight, she began,

"Oh Tara. Don't fear so. He loves you, that's all."

"I.. I know. I didn't realize how much until now." Tara said softly. She didn't know if she should rejoice or flee.

"I don't even have to ask but I can tell you love him deeply and it scares you." Aunt Vie said.

"Yes..it does." Tara confessed giving a weak smile and looked down into the mug before her.

"Sam is fiercely loyal so if you're worried that he'll leave you, don't. He won't stray. I know dat for a fact." Aunt Vie added.

"I believe you I really do. It's just that I've never met anyone as kind and gentle and loving as he is. He's everything a woman could ever want in a man. When I'm with him, everything is so perfect and I'm afraid that I'll ruin everything." Tara said softly.

"You know, you are the only girl he's ever introduced me to. You mean a lot to him. One night he told me on the phone that he's afraid you'll leave him. He's scared of losing you. So you see, you're not the only one who's scared in this relationship." Aunt Vie paused a bit as if a thought came to her but suppressed it.

Putting a reassuring arm around Tara's shoulders, she ended saying,

"Love is a thing that is simple. It is something that you shouldn't fret and over analyze."

"Yes..you're right." Tara said as she got to her feet. Giving Aunt Vie a hug, she told her thanks.

"Alright, come now, let's eat, I can hear Sammy's belly bawlin' from all di way in di dining room." Aunt Vie said then laughed her infectious laugh. The two women carried the food into the dining room and set them in the center of the table.

"Something's missing.." Aunt Vie said with her hands on her hip while standing in front of the dining table.

"Cassava cake!" Sam chimed in.

"Oh, I'll get it." Tara offered skipping in the direction of the kitchen.

"It's on the bottom shelf in the fridge, Tara. Yu can't miss it." Aunt Vie called out when Tara disappeared around the corner.

"Auntie, is everything OK with Tara?" Sam whispered at Aunt Vie with worry etched across his handsome face.

"Yes dear, she's fine now. Don't worry. We was just having a likkle girl time. Call me later tonight. You know me, I go to bed real late." Smiling, Aunt Vie winked at him and ended her sentence just before Tara returned with the infamous cassava cake in her hands.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.