Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


CHAPTER 2: Drive-Thru

Heading east on Parish Road, the temperature rose another degree. Tara began to feel a little self conscious. She hoped she'd put on enough deodorant and body spray. Maybe I should've put on a little more make-up. Fuck Tara, going to Holmes Depot with a dude is not exactly going on a date,Tara yelled inwardly.

Sam couldn't remember if he'd brushed his teeth before leaving his trailer or if his hair looked alright. He ran his hand through his wavy locks, quickly cupped his hand over his mouth and nose, blew into it and sniffed. He stole a sideways glance at Tara. Good, he thought, she didn't notice. Then, he balled the same hand into a fist and coughed into it while he kept the other on the wheel.

"Uh, Sam, you just passed Holmes Depot", Tara said while looking behind them towards the building that was now getting smaller.

"Oh, yeah, you know, I didn't have anything to eat this morning, how about you? Up for some breakfast?" Sam asked while rubbing his stomach with one hand.

Tara couldn't help but feel that Sam was up to something but just played along. She left her house that morning without a single bite, so, of course she was hungry. She was too nervous to eat as she felt guilty for the way she treated Sam last night. She was eager to see him early before her shift started so that she could explain herself and set things right. Admittedly, things got a bit rocky back at the trailer and although Sam calmed down after that, Tara still sensed things were still left unresolved.

"Now that you mentioned it, yeah, I do, but, what about the screwdriver? Isn't that's why we're out here in the first place?"

"No worries, we can get it on the way back" Sam reassured.


"How are things between you and your mom?" Sam asked clearing his throat.

"Peachy! Never been better!" Tara's sarcasm was thick.

"Uh oh."

"Yeah, I promised her I'd move back in and she promised to stop drinking."

"Sounds like a deal."

"You could call it a life-time deal. 'Cause it's been a life-time of empty promises."

"Well, are you?"

"Moving back in? Yeah. I'm gonna." Tara's voice fell.

"Good!"

"Good?"

"I don't like you living out of that motel. And that neighbour of yours...what's his name? Oh yeah, Roger. He had that look in his eye. Like he was lusting after you."

"Lusting? He was not. First of all, Roger isn't just my neighbour, he's my landlord and secondly he's pushing four-hundred on the scale. So imagine 'lusting' Roger chasing after me. He'd give himself a heart-attack trying to keep up."

Then they both laughed a good laugh. Sam laughed so hard he had to wipe his eyes. Tara looking on followed suit after giving in to a fit of giggles. In between the chuckles, Tara thought how good she felt sitting next to Sam. Her laughter was like music to Sam's ears and he thought how her presence alone made him happy.

Moments later Sam slowed down his blue and white '68 Ford truck and made a hard right unto a narrow concrete driveway. Ahead was a drive-thru. To the left was a one story building painted in bright marigold with green trimmings. On the roof was a huge sign with the words "Miss Matty's" in orange and black flanked by two cut-outs of coconut trees. Already there were five cars in the parking lot and three more waiting for their orders at the drive-through. An old 70's station wagon pulled up and parked behind them and two more cars joined the queue.

As they sat in the truck with the engine idling behind a silver Toyota, Tara guffawed, shook her head from side to side and then finally looked at Sam in disbelief.

"Sheeat!" Tara chuckled.

"What?" Sam turned and looked at Tara, half smiling.

"You, the country music loving, big belt buckle wearing son of a gun eat Jamaican food?" Tara said still getting over the initial shock.

Sam rolled his eyes, sighed then raked his fingers through his thick mane. He then looked her straight in the face. His facial expressions were serious as a judge. With his bright blue eyes staring into her browns he then reeled off the breakfast menu without so much as missing a step,

"Callaloo and Salt-fish, Ackee and Salt-fish, Steamed fish with okra, Fried Sprat, Liver with onions, Cornmeal porridge or Plantain porridge."

Tara paused then said, "Ackee and Salt-fish, please".

"Boiled green bananas, Roasted yam, Bammy or fried dumplings?" Sam's stare was serious yet comedic.

"Dumplings, thanks" Tara chuckled.

Just then, the silver Toyota that was ahead of them moved up allowing them to drive up to the microphone.

"Welcome to Miss Matty's, can I tek yu hawdah" the male voice over the speaker was unmistakably Jamaican.

"Yo Marvin, it's me mon" Sam spoke as he leaned in closer to the microphone. Tara thought how cute yet silly he sounded trying to sound like a Jamaican. She didn't have the heart to tell him that he sounded like a leprechaun.

"Merlat mon, wha' gwaan. What 'appen, yu keepin' scarce these days. Alright, so what yu havin' today? Di usual Liver with extra gravy, roast yam, plantain, coffee and orange juice, right?" Marvin's voice sounded salubrious yet lively.

"Yeah man, and oh, add an order of ackee and salt-fish with dumplings and extra plantain" Sam relayed.

"And a hot chocolate too please" Tara piped in.

"Oh, so you bring company. So dat's why yu been scarce. Nice! Bring her 'round mon." Marvin said. All Tara could do was just shake her head and laugh.

"Alright." Sam replied.

Turning to Tara, he smiled and thought how cute she looked sitting across from him. Tara seemed to pick up on what he was thinking and blushed. Sam allowed his truck to roll up a short distance and stalled right behind the silver Toyota.

While they waited, Tara laughed to herself as she watched Sam smacking his lips in anticipation. She'd never seen him this excited or animated over anything. Well, except for the time when she once stripped for him to 50 Cent's Candy Shop. She recalled the expression he had on his face, like that of a little boy in an ice cream shop. She liked seeing him happy and was beginning to feel glad that she went along for the ride.

Finally the silver pulled away and Sam eased his blue and white in its place. Waiting at the window was a slender, light brown skinned guy in his early thirties. He had a friendly and handsome face with dimples, chiseled look. Tara thought he was cute and as he grinned from ear to ear, he looked comical holding out two brown paper bags.

"Marvin, this is Tara Thornton. Tara, Marvin Thompson" Sam introduced them as he took the bags from Marvin.

"Hello Tara. Yes mon, nice." Marvin smiled at Tara and he gave Sam a nod and said "nice" again.

"Hi Marvin." Tara gave Marvin a wave and struggled to stop herself from laughing when he said nice a second time.

Sam handed Marvin a twenty. Marvin narrowed his eyes and sucked in the air through his teeth.

"Cho man, yu know your money not welcome 'ere" and gave Sam an or-else look.

"How's Aunt Vie doing?" Sam asked placing the bill back in his wallet.

"Mummy alright man. Hey, listen mi fren, she sen' you something. Check di bag. She said I must mek sure to give it to you the next time you breeze by." Marvin said in a semi-serious tone as if he were passing on some top secret information.

"Cassava cake!" Sam eyes widened the moment he detected it's delicious scent. As Sam smiled with his eyes closed, one would've thought that he'd just gone to heaven.

"Make sure you give Aunt Vie a nice big hug and kiss on the cheek for me."

Marvin laughed out loud. The old station wagon behind them gave a toot.

"Lord dem craven eh" Marvin hissed under his breath then fist pumped Sam.

Just before Sam drove off, Tara cried "Nice meeting you Marvin".

"Alright sistren, come back again yu hear!"












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.