Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


After the initial supposed sighting, Todd made Carter drive around the scenic parts of Llanview just to settle his head. The sighting just brought back a huge tidal wave of emotions relating to their relationship that for the time being affected him a great deal. To be truly honest, he never thought about searching for Evangeline because he made it a point to refocus his energies into raising Sam and reconnecting with Starr and Jack. Aside from his business and Blair's periodic intrusions, he remained busy from the time he woke up until he set his head down on the pillow. There wasn't any time to rethink the grave mistakes of his past only to live for the present. 

Life had a way of throwing a monkey wrench into any carefully laid plans.

He slumped against the back seat of his black escalade. It became hard to gain an exact prospective on what to do next. He felt off his game and it irritated him to no end. Staring out the window, his head leaning alongside his right hand, he sighed wearily. Even after all this time spent apart, he senses her presence. Perhaps his mind was playing a cruel trick yet the feeling refused to go away.

For Carter sometimes working for Mr. Manning meant going that extra mile especially when he went into a funk over his ex and he wasn't referring to Blair. The two never spoke of it but he heard the rumours floating around regarding Manning and his ex-lawyer, turned best friend then eventually lovers. She quickly left Llanview and everyone understood it was because of Mr. Manning remarrying Blair. Whatever the reasoning her leaving affected his boss even when he did his best not to let it show.

 

"Where to Mr. Manning?"

 

Todd didn't respond immediately. He knew going back to the penthouse right now was out of the question; his mind would be forever distracted. Three options kept swirling around in his brain - drink it off, sleep it off which was doubtful or pay little sis a long overdue visit.

 

"Remember your old haunt."

 

"I guess we're going back down memory lane."

 

 

****

"So let me get this straight, my option won out...go figure," a perturbed Layla stated.

 

She was in the midst of nursing her second cosmopolitan or was it her third. It had to be her third to be putting up with the likes of Todd Manning and dismissing her entourage. Reserving a private room upstairs at the Oasis came at a cost.

 

"VIP?"

 

"And I was having a grand time too until you showed up. You're lucky I owed Carter a huge favour. I told him we're even now."

"Where is Evangeline?" He got straight to the point.

 

"In her skin...I can't believe it," Layla said shaking her head. "Don't you have a fleet of investigators on your payroll? I simply cannot be your only source for Evangeline updates..."

 

"Oh Come On Layla!" Todd yelled aggravated.

 

"No you come on!" Layla pointed an accusatory index finger at him, setting aside her drink. "My sister has always been in your corner and I could never understand why. The one time she needed you, put her heart on the line for you, you smashed it to pieces." Todd started to open his mouth. "I'm not finished...," she glared at him. "She loved you and you devastated her so completely that she left Llanview without sending so much as a text message to me..."

 

"I had a hard choice," Todd replied with his head down. Her words stabbing at his heart.

 

"Well your hard choices usually involve your overbearing ex-wife. Marrying her Todd how could you? There must have been another way."

 

He looked up at her. "There wasn't another way!"

 

"Then that says it all doesn't it." Layla crossed her legs. "Why don't you do yourself and the rest of us a huge favour and leave my sister alone. She deserves to move on with her life."

 

"I can't," he said leaning over and rubbing his palms together. "She's my only shot at complete happiness. Believe it or not Layla, I do love her..."

 

"Then you have a weird way of showing it. Why you do the things you do...just another part of the Todd psyche."

 

"I know she's returned to Llanview. I just need to talk to her."

 

"To give her another explanation, forget it Todd, it's too late. ...You know I once believed that you would have tracked her down by now but thank heaven for small mercies."

 

"I lost my nerve..."

find

 

Layla let out a light chuckle. "Never in my wildest dreams...but stranger things have happened." She sighed. "Well Todd this has been such an interesting conversation but I need to get my party on and of course my peeps are waiting. ...May I be excused?" she added mockingly.

 

"You haven't answered my question," Todd countered, his eyes narrowly focused on hers.

 

"There's nothing to answer. I haven't heard anything about her coming to Llanview and even if I did, do you honestly believe I will tell you about it?"

 

"I will find her and it won't take long."

 

"Humph...now I see what this little visit is all about. Todd Manning is on the hunt with Evangeline as his target. Everyone beware," she sneered at him. "I hope Stephen is prepared for the bullet train fast approaching," she added rising from her seat.

 

The man's name got his attention. "What? Who is Stephen?" Todd stood up quickly and held her arm.

 

"Let go of me," Layla said in an ominous tone and she snatched her arm away. "Yes Todd, Evangeline has finally moved on and has been married to Stephen for two years now."

 

He felt like Layla punched him in the gut. He fell back into the seat with a look of disbelief on his face. Married?

 

"And here I thought this evening couldn't get any better," Layla ended with a smile on her face.

 

 

****

 

Evangeline...married? He kept replaying those two words over and over. That could have been him. It should have been him. He grabbed Layla's leftover drink and gulped it down. For the moment he just couldn't seem to move. It didn't matter. This Stephen guy meant nothing. He could never get in the way of what they'll always share.

 

"I've loved you for a long time but I was too afraid..."

 

"The infamous Todd Manning afraid? Impossible..."

 

"I've always been afraid of sharing with you exactly how I feel Angel."

 

"Why?"

 

"You are so...perfect and I'm..."

 

"Todd I'm not perfect, far from it. I hate when people place me on this unrealistic pedestal like there's this special criteria for the man that is supposed to be in my life."

 

"Yet I am the monster..."

 

"I don't want to hear it! Stop putting yourself down. ...I see you Todd Manning. I've always seen the real you. Underneath all the bravado..."

 

"Bravado?"

 

"Yes bravado... there's a man who is charming, wonderful, loving and absolutely adorable when he wants to be. Sometimes ...I wish you would love yourself as much as I love you and I...do...love...you...always."

 

"Always..."

 

"And forever..."

 

He slowly closed his eyes, lightly touching his mouth with his fingertips. Recalling the sensation of her soft, plump lips against his, the feel of her hands at the back of his neck pulling him downwards as their kiss deepen. Recalling her mouth tasting of expensive wine and strawberries while his tongue explored within.

 

The cocktail glass shattered within his grasp and his eyes popped opened.

 

"We have never been over. We will have our always Angel."

 

 

****

 

"Layla why did you feel the need to tell him?" Evangeline questioned more than a little upset about what transpired.

 

Instead of heading for the dancefloor, Layla retreated to the ladies' room to get away from the noise and call Evangeline.

 

"He didn't seem to know and it became my duty to tell him," Layla replied sarcastically. "He also didn't need to come to me to ask about your whereabouts. Why does he always do that?"

 

"You're my sister...seeing and talking to you makes him feel connected to me in some weird way..."

 

"Oh my goodness Vange, you still have a lesson plan for Todd 101..."

 

"Haven't I moved on with my life as promised? And you understand the reason why I need to see him. This cannot go on any longer given the circumstances. I really need your support Layla not your cynicism." 

 

"Okay, Okay sis. I get it. I really do. Todd knows how to work my brain. ...I guess you're going to see him in the morning."

 

"I'm certain he'll be holdup in his office not wanting to see or speak to anyone."

 

"Lesson 2 from the Todd 101 workbook," Layla muttered under her breath.

 

"What?"

 

"Nothing. It's pretty late and you need to get some rest. Tomorrow is going to be a big day. Just don't forget to call me okay."

 

 

"Okay."












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.