Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Todd went deathly pale scarcely noticing when Trevor scrambled out of his arms, awkwardly rushing over to his mother. He staggered backwards taking in shallow, deep breaths. His eyes wondered briefly over to Evangeline who knelt down to Trevor's eye-level speaking softly. It appeared she cared little about how this stunning announcement was affecting him. And this day started off with so much promise, he exhaled. He spun away from them, hands firmly planted on his hips. His gaze now directed towards the large glass window, which stretched across the width of the office; providing an excellent view of the Llanview skyline. He has a son. He and Evangeline have a son and his name is Trevor. The more he thought about it the more an anger steadily escalated within him. He felt an overwhelming sense of betrayal. Why didn't she say anything? The woman he adored most in this world kept from him the biggest secret. The Evangeline he knew would have come to him from the beginning regardless of what transpired between them. This was like experiencing Michael and Marcie all over again.

"Why did you keep him from me? Why?! I would have never expected this especially from you." His voice laced with hurt, disappointment, anger. "And you have another man raising our son! Calling him dad!"  

His office was eerily quiet as he awaited a response. A heavy tension lingered in the air. Both Evangeline and Trevor stared at him a bit stunned, unmoving. The earlier warm feelings of seeing each other after years spent apart quickly dissipating.

"Now is not the time to get into this discussion..."

"Then when is the perfect time Evangeline because I need answers right now!"

He swung his right arm across his desk; clearing its contents, all of which came crashing to the ground with enough noise to make Trevor start crying. Evangeline immediately lifted him into her arms, soothingly rubbing small circles on his back while giving Todd a menacing glare.

"It's alright. It's alright...There's nothing to be scared of."

Todd calmed down considerably. He plopped down into one of his side chairs, leaning over and covering his face with the palms of his hands. That initial burst of justified angry retreating. He never wanted Trevor to be scared of him. He imagined his son's eyes wide with fright and his little heart beating rapidly. He listened intently to Evangeline doing her best to calm him down. Some moments passed and it became quite once more, the silence very surreal. He speculated that Evangeline might have left which made him anxiously look up.

"Todd..." She looked down at the mixture of emotions in his eyes. Everything she expected. She never doubted his ability to be a good father even if his early actions towards his older children said otherwise.

For Todd it was a wonderful surprise to see both of them still in his office, standing in front of him.

"The main reason I brought Trevor here is so that you can spend some time with your son."

"After all this time I'm glad you think so..." The words rushed out of his mouth.

She dismissed the comment and continued, "Certainly I do realize that our conversation is far from over..."

"Not by a long shot," Todd seethed rising from his seat. "There are so many things you haven't said but for now we'll do things your way."

"Yeah my way of course," Evangeline smirked rolling her eyes.

Todd stretched out his arms and Trevor went into them without any fuss. "Here's my little man." He noticed that Trevor clutched a dark brown pound puppy. It carried the same red collar and dog tag from years ago when he gave it to Evangeline. A just because gift he recalled. Evangeline was never the type of woman to accept or care about lavish, expensive gifts.

"You kept it," he remarked somewhat amazed, his mouth slightly agape.

"It's his favourite toy. It keeps him calm especially when mommy is away." She lovingly gazed at her son; ruffling his curly hair. Trevor giggled.

"You're leaving?"

"It's best. You two need to share some long overdue alone time and this tension between us won't come in the way of that." Todd nodded in agreement. "...His bag is on the couch. It contains everything he needs."

"How long will you be gone?"

"Till this evening. Hopefully I'll meet you at the penthouse," her dark, brown eyes questioned.

"Yeah I'll ask Vicki to keep Sam for another night."

Sam she thought how grown up he must be now. She was certain Todd was drawing parallels. "Ok..."

She kissed Trevor's forehead and both his cheeks thereafter waving goodbye. "Be good. Mommy will come for you later."

"Bye mommy..."

She gave Todd one final look before exiting. It conveyed a hopeful trust. She ran quickly to the elevator glad for it opening once she pressed the button. She perceived the intense stares from those in the office. The news of her return was sure to start circulating throughout Llanview. Let the speculations begin, she sighed as the elevator doors closed.

 

Suddenly the jitters of being a father to an unfamiliar son came rushing back. It was the same way when Sam came into this life. At first, he didn't know what to do or say. Would he respond to him? There was so much yet to learn, another personality to untangle. At least he didn't seem afraid of him.

He kissed the top of his head and breathed in its scent of baby shampoo. "I already love you so much. I hope one day you'll see me as your father and love me the same way..."

Unshed tears blurred his vision. He sensed a small palm press lightly against his left cheek, which made the tears freely flow. A concerned Trevor offered up his precious toy. "Don't cry...," Trevor said in his small little voice. Todd hugged him tightly.

"Just like your mother," he softly admitted, kissing the side of his face. For now, he chose not to think about the past. "Hey let's say we get out of here and have some fun."

 

 

♥♥♥♥♥

 

The elevator doors couldn't open up fast enough for Evangeline who came rushing past them, through the main doors and unto the street outside. Once her boots hit the pavement she let out a huge breath, leaned her back against the side of the building, hugging herself. She was literally shaking uncontrollably having lost all of her built up composure. Seeing the man, you once loved so completely and putting out such a huge announcement can do that to you. Certainly, she understood Todd's reaction, interacting and being friends with him for enough years gave her a huge indication. She kept her pregnancy and their son a secret. If circumstances reversed, she knew her reaction would be the same. Yet there were varied reasons for that most significant decision but it was never because of revenge. Never...

It took a few moments but her strayed nerves recovered enough for her to stroll over to her car service that waited just a few strides ahead. She cared less if anyone was staring at her or the many questions, which may or may not be reverberating inside their minds. The thought of calling Layla right now pushed to the backburner given the oncoming headache. A ride back to her hotel room, a couple of aspirins and a short nap provided the best opportunity to regroup.

 

֍֍֍֍

 

"You should have still called me earlier," a ticked off Layla commented as she sat beside Evangeline sampling her plate of shrimp salad. "Just look at you." She noticed a weariness in her whole demeanour. "And you should eat. It doesn't do Trevor any good to see his mother becoming weak and depressed."

"I'm not becoming weak or depressed," Evangeline protested but instead of arguing, she took a reasonable bite of her chicken sandwich. It tasted quite bland but she knew it had more to do with her present mood.

"Then don't let Todd get to you."

"He does have a right to be angry considering. Besides Todd isn't getting to me... just the situation as it is."

Layla preferred to retrieve her cup of ice tea from the side table taking a long, slow sip.

Evangeline gave her a side eye. "Come on Layla."

"What? I didn't say anything. I believe you."

"Yeah..." Evangeline left it at that and tried her best to continue eat.

"Vange I firmly renew my objections about you and Trevor staying at this hotel especially when your sister has enough room. ...I never get to see you and Trevor especially with my busy schedule and you guys living in so far away...please..." Layla sulked.

"Ok, ok you win. I do see your point plus I hate to see a Williamson beg," Evangeline chuckled. "It certainly doesn't look good on you."

"Whatever, anything looks good on me," Layla smiled back at her. "This will give me a chance to be here for my big sis who has always been there for me throughout my crazy moments," she said clutching Evangeline's hands. "I know this is turning into one heck of an overwhelming experience."

Evangeline shifted her eyes away. "From the beginning I expected it to be this way but I'm also worried about Stephen. This is not his fault. I alone placed this burden upon us."

Layla countered, "And he knew what he was getting into."

"Or maybe he thought he did," Evangeline reflected. "Todd is capable of doing anything and I don't want Stephen to feel any less about us and the strength of our family."

"You haven't heard from him."

"Not since the last time he called," she breathed, "which ended in a huge argument."

 

Layla started realizing the true gravity of the situation. Would Evangeline ever be free of Todd's hold on her life? Sadly, the answer appeared to be never. Like it or not, Todd held a part of her that was beyond Stephen's reach and she feared for her big sis. Not that she would voice that opinion aloud to Evangeline.

"Be honest with me Evangeline. What was it like seeing Todd again after so long?"

Evangeline eased back into the couch and thought about it; her right leg tucked beneath her left, fingers playing with the hem of her blouse. Life seemed so simple sitting here with her sister compared to what awaited her beyond those doors.

"That's a gorgeous man from head to toe," she readily admitted.

"Yeah the fair haired beast with the ability to drain the life out of you... Count Dracula at your service..."

Evangeline couldn't help but chuckle at Layla's description until she became serious again.

"I can never deny what we once shared. It's forever a part of both of us but I also remember the heartache that came along with it."

"Oh Vange I want you to be happy. You deserve to be happy."

"And I will be again once this situation is resolved."

"I really hope so. Humph, that is enough intense conversing for one day. We should do some sisterly bonding while Todd is playing father of the year with my nephew. We can go shopping over in Penn..."

"No I'm not going to avoid bumping into the Llanview community. My life is my life not theirs," she stated emphatically.

"Now that's the Vange I know and love."

Evangeline smiled, "Thanks for being here Lays."

"Anytime sis," she replied while giving her a warm hug. "Anytime..."






Chapter End Notes:

Thanks to Jacci for greatly assisting me with updating my story while my account was giving me a lot of trouble. Turns out I needed to change the whole system and now everything is working YAY! So everyone please read and review and I'll definitely be able to respond!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.