Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


When Evangeline and Trevor appeared then stepped through the penthouse front door Todd imagined his gorgeous wife and handsome son coming home to him after a weekend away. Wishful thinking... maybe.  His mind starting to go over the edge... perhaps. Yet he truly believed that time has a way of changing things for the better especially if you make it so.

Trevor anxiously stretched out his arms as a way of saying hello. Todd hoisted him high in the air, kissed and embraced him.

"Hey there little guy...I'm happy to see you too."

Each time he saw him, Todd adored his little boy even more. Although he missed the earliest part of his life, he promised to be there and interact with him as much as possible.  Soon they will leave town but he tried not to dwell on it.

"You missed me?" Trevor shook his head up and down in response. "I missed you too," he said giving him a squeeze.

Trevor babbled away and Todd smiled shaking his head. Naturally, his eyes went over in Evangeline's direction.

"You can wipe that smirk off your face," Evangeline remarked as she strolled past him.

Todd scoffed in disbelief. "What are you talking about?" He followed behind her, his left hand scratching the back of his head. "I'm happy to see our son."

"Let's drop the subject ok...."

Evangeline took a seat on the couch in the living room. Trevor wiggled free from Todd's arms quickly running over and finding a perfect seat on his mother's lap.

"So can I get you anything?"

"I'm fine thank you." She shot him a brief glance. "Not like I'm staying long."

"So... where is this husband of yours?"

Oh no he didn't. "Why is that any of your business?" she asked calmly.

"Because I wouldn't allow my beautiful wife to be off somewhere with the man..."

"Stop right there. I'm not getting into this with you. Last night you caught me at a vulnerable moment. I promise you that it won't happen again and if this conversation continues along this line then I will gladly leave."

Evangeline gave him a knowing look. Todd responded by raising his palms in surrender. For now, playtime was over for the adults but he will gladly accept just having her around however brief it may be. Besides getting into a heating discussion in front of Trevor was never a good thing. Just then, he received a call and went off to the other side of the room. Evangeline went into Trevor's bag.

"Mommy have to go."

"Yes but your daddy is here. Remember what mommy said."

"Hmmm...humph." Trevor shook his head up and down. "Mommyyyy" he started squealing when Evangeline began tickling him.

"Who does mommy love?" Evangeline asked planting kisses on his face.

"Me!'

"And who loves mommy?"

"Me!"

Todd returned enjoying the playful scene. He cleared his throat. "Evangeline..."

Before she could respond, there was a knock at the door.

"Sam is coming over to get something," Todd hastily remarked as he approached the front door.

Evangeline shrugged her shoulders. "Ok." It really didn't matter to her one way or the other.

 

 

"Dad I know I shouldn't be here right now but I need my math book."

"Test huh?"

"Incomplete assignment..."

"Sam..." Todd wrinkled his forehead.

"Don't worry dad math is fifth period and I'm sure I can get it completed by then."

"You better," his tone warned. "Is your Aunt Vicki downstairs waiting?"

"Yeah..."

"Then go and get your book. You know she doesn't like to wait..."

Evangeline's eyes floated over them. Sam was a mini Todd with the blond hair, blue eyes. He already appeared to be quite sure of himself.

"Evangeline?"

"You must be Sam," her tone brighten.

"You know me?" he asked suddenly amazed and a little in awe of the woman whom his father always spoke about with such adoration. She was actually here in their living room. He recalled seeing a couple of pictures in his dad's bedroom and private office. She was definitely more beautiful in person.

"Yes," Evangeline chuckled. Another charmer in the Manning household, she surmised.

"Dad she's here." Sam was rooted at his spot looking straight at her. His eyes spied Trevor shifting on her lap. "Is he your son?"

"Yes this is Trevor." She understood that Todd wanted the responsibility of revealing Trevor's relationship with him. "Say hi to Sam."

"Hi..."

"Hi..."

Todd nudged him. "Sam, get your book and go."

"But dad..." Todd gave Sam a look and he immediately ran up the stairs.

"Like father like son..."

"Yeah but he's so much better than me. I want the best for him always."

"I'm glad you got him back," Evangeline said sincerely.

 

Within a few minutes, Sam came bounding down the stairs. Todd took him aside and said, "Don't tell your Aunt Vicki about seeing Evangeline. I don't want her questioning you."

"I understand dad. ...Evangeline will I see you again later."

"I'm not sure but hopefully."

Sam gave Todd a perplexed look. "I'll work on it," he whispered and watched as a satisfied Sam exited.

"What have you been telling Sam about me?"

"Sorry my lips are sealed."

She could only speculate and left it at that. "I believe it's time for me to leave as well." You can say neither Todd nor Trevor wanted her to leave. "Give mommy a hug and kiss." Trevor acquiesced and thereafter he began playing with Mr. Wobbles.

Todd walked Evangeline to the front door.

"Todd I'll keep in touch. I hope you two won't stay cooped up inside."

"We won't...promise."

Todd thought he was the perfect time to pull her into an embrace, which surprised her. He lingered taking in her fresh vanilla and jasmine scent. He missed those moments when they used to snuggle up together. So much he had taken for granted when their future of love and happiness seemed all but certain.

 Hmmm Nautica.... Immediately she pulled away asking, "What are you doing?"

"I just wanted to say goodbye as well."

"Oh please Todd...," she replied dismissively with her hand on the doorknob.

"Evangeline I do want us to build some sort of friendship. I understand that it can never be as it was before..."

"No it can't. Too much has changed between us and..." She stared back at Trevor. This was her life now, wife to Stephen and mother to Trevor.

"Talk to me..."

"No I can't...won't...not anymore. You are no longer the person I choose to share my hopes and dreams..."

The point became perfectly obvious that bringing Trevor over worked against her original reasoning for doing so. Yet what did it say about her that he could easily sway her into these stirring conversations? Did she enjoy the fact that he still yearned for them to be together? For so many years, she allowed him to be a part of her world; one could not easily let that go no matter how hard she tried to distance her emotions.

"You will always be my only love," his voice heartrendingly low, utterly sincere. He leaned his head against the doorframe; his incredible blue eyes locked with her exquisite hues.

The emotions going back and forth between them were quite intense. His words cascading down on her like a waterfall on a cool spring day. This moment was strangely terrifying. She hasn't felt like this in a longtime. Again, she let her guard down; she believed her mind and body betraying her.

"Love is never and will never be enough for us. Look at where we are now..."

"Do you still love me?"

For Evangeline the question seem to come out of nowhere. She chose not to respond; instead she quietly opened the door and left. Todd briefly remained by the door impressed by his ability to affect her still. Her response wasn't needed; he already knew and the thought elated his heart.

 

♥♥♥♥♥

While walking through the elevator doors she thought the nerve of Todd Manning but then again her reactions weren't helping him think otherwise. Her body felt hot and tingly; heart furiously pounding. She blew out a few frustrated breaths to calm herself. Eventually she leaned the right side of her body against the elevator's wall as it went down to the main floor. Todd was getting to her in that true Manning fashion. She decided it best to have Trevor's visits arrange on neutral territory.

 

Later On...

"Your mom says we need to get out." Todd sat Trevor on his lap while scrolling through some pictures on his tablet. "So is it going to be the park?" Trevor barely reacted. "Carnival?" He expected more than the reaction he received. "Last one zoo." Trevor pointed at the pictures of the animals and started kicking his feet wildly. "Ok...ok...zoo it is," Todd chuckled. "I think many people believe your father's life..."

"Todd Manning!" Vicki knocked loudly and yelled from outside.

"Uh...I can't take a day off without your Aunt becoming suspicious." He knew ignoring her phone calls might lead to this.

"Todd Manning!"

"Looks like the jig is up kiddo." He kissed Trevor's cheek and placed him on the floor of the living room to play with his trucks. Brum...Brum... He heard Trevor saying before he opened the door.

"What brings you by Vicki?"

"Don't play coy Todd. What in the world is going on with you? First, you cancel your scheduled visit to New York. Then you're taking time away from the office...Oh..." Trevor caught her attention. "Who is that adorable little boy? Don't tell me that you've taking on some babysitting..."

"He's my son Trevor."

Todd relayed the information so calmly that Vicki didn't believe her ears. "What?" her eyes blinked.

"Trevor is my son," he reiterated.

"Are you serious?"

"Do you see me laughing Vicki?" Todd turned and gazed at Trevor who was more interested in his truck collection and lining them up properly.

Vicki face etched with concern. "Who? When? Where? Todd who else knows about this. The boys? Starr?"

"I haven't gotten that chance to tell anyone except you. They will learn about this soon enough. ...I enjoy watching him. Just look at him. I love him so much."

"Are you sure?"

He could not believe what his sister was implying. "Vicki, Evangeline wouldn't lie about something so important..."

Then it dawned on her. "So that's why she's here?"  

"Don't get started on the whys and hows. Forget about it," his voice stressed. "The past is the past. The future is before us."

"Todd she's married. I saw the ring."

Todd offered her an irritated stare. "I know that Vicki. ...Look I really don't want to hear about this right now. Trevor and I are going out."

"At least let me see him."

When Todd introduced the pair, a shy Trevor clung to his father. "I promise you she won't bite although she likes to bark a lot," he whispered to Trevor.

"He is a cutie. Hi little guy I'm your Aunt Vicki." Little by little, Trevor smiled at her. She talked with him a little more. "Alright I won't keep father and son from their day out.  ...Todd we will talk some time later."

"Sure...and Vicki don't go commiserating with Blair."

Vicki opened her mouth to respond but thought it wise not to say anything.

 

֍֍֍֍

 

 Earlier in the day, Evangeline made a quick trip into Angel Square reacquainting herself with a few friends over coffee. She answered as much of their questions as possible except for explaining the true purpose for her visit. Seeking out Nora was not on the agenda though. She perceived Nora to be far too judgmental concerning her relationship with Todd and she didn't want to see the folded arms and the "I told you so" expression on her face. They barely spoke during her time away and had lost contact altogether which suited her just fine.

Now back at Layla's she kept herself entertained with legal readings while lounging on the couch. Layla wanted to stick around and be supportive but Evangeline insisted that seeing after her growing business was far more important.

 

"I'm doing fine...really. Besides I know where to find you."

"I doubt that. These creations don't sell themselves."

 

She had already made a few calls and found a meditator who had no knowledge of their personal history. The initial plan was to discuss it over with Todd. She hoped that old attitudes didn't resurface once the process started. She checked in on Trevor a couple of times. Father and son were getting on better than expected. Good for them both but what about her needs. She perceived herself to be very much alone.

The connection remained but Llanview wasn't her home any longer. Leaning on Todd was definitely out of the question and she grew tired of leaning on Layla even if she didn't find it bothersome. She needed her husband but truthfully, their relationship slowly began falling apart once Trevor was born. It was as if he resented her for spending most of her free time with Trevor. Here they were new parents and she believed he would stand by her side to experience this amazing little life but instead he withdrew. There were small arguments here and there nothing too explosive though. A friend explained to her that since the dynamic of the relationship changed then this was expected but she also knew Trevor's paternity weighed heavily on his mind as well.

Her cell phone rang and she instantly recognized the number. "Hey Stephen..."

"Evangeline come home," Stephen stated in a direct voice.

It irritated her that he didn't even care to ask about her and Trevor's welfare. "Is this the only reason you called? You know why I'm here!"

"And you could have easily sent Manning pictures along with a letter."

"That's not the way I do things especially with something this important."

"You understand how this makes me feel right."

"Then catch a flight to Llanview and be with us," her voice pleaded. "Todd and I are going to work an amicable arrangement and I'll soon be back home."

"Just come home Evangeline. I can't go to Llanview."

"But why? You can take some time off from work..."

"Enough! It is always about you! What about me? I can't take time off of work anytime I feel like it..."

"As oppose to me right? Goodbye Stephen!"

"UGH!" She threw her phone aside, placed her palms on the top of her head and leaning her head back. That familiar jingle on her phone came to life but she chose to ignore it. Ever since her arrival in Llanview, their conversations highlighted a brewing mistrust. She hoped that eventually cooler heads would prevail because this wasn't getting them anywhere fast. It was making her question her decision-making. Was it always about her? Did she marry too quickly? Were her relationships always doomed to fail? If she and Todd remained... Evangeline stop this, she admonished herself. She knew what she needed...dessert. She hopped off the couch and made a beeline for the kitchen. 

 

֍֍֍֍

Later on in the day, Carter dropped off Jack and Sam at the penthouse. Of course, Sam already met Trevor but Jack began a round of questioning. Todd sat both boys down to explain and go over the entire situation. Their eyes darted between Trevor who tugged at Todd's shirt and their father. Jack thought drama was always a part of the Manning clan; Trevor was just the newest addition. After he was finished, Todd was unable to judge their true reactions because they just sat unmoving giving him a blank stare.

Sam was first to break the weird silence. "Whoa Trevor is our brother..."

"I should have known you would be happy," Jack commented.

"So... dad likes Evangeline a whole lot..."

Jack smirked. "But that does not mean they are getting back together..."

"Guys...guys...you don't need to..."

"Dad weren't you mad that she kept Trevor's birth a secret?" Jack questioned.

"Yeah at first I was pretty upset but then it didn't matter. I wanted to spend as much time with Trevor as possible instead of battling with Evangeline."

That answer hardly surprised Jack. Evangeline was everything to his dad unlike his mother.

"Dad are you and Evangeline getting back together?" Sam questioned with curious eyes. Jack wanted an answer as well.

"Not right now and I don't want your mind thinking about it either Sam. Ok Sam," he stressed gazing directly at him.

"Ok dad," Sam shrugged his shoulders.

Todd understood he needed to speak to Sam later.

"You know mom isn't going to react to this well..."

"Jack your mother may believe that she has control over everything especially my life but she doesn't and hasn't for a long time now. I really don't want to bring your mother into this discussion alright."

The very subject of Blair and her thoughts made his blood boil. Trevor touched his cheek and gazed up at him. It made him realize that he needed to take a breath. "I just want the both of you to get acquainted with the newest Manning."

The boys eyed each other. No one seemed particularly interested in making the first move. Todd whispered in Trevor's left ear and he started to giggle. Afterwards he brought him over placing him between his two oldest.

"Hey Trevor I'm your big brother Sam."

"And I'm your big brother Jack."

Trevor's eyes shifted between them. Todd offered up a tablet, which contained pictures of him and Trevor spending the day together at the zoo. This appeared to break the ice. A little while later Trevor was hanging all over his big brothers. Todd enjoyed the scene of his boys laughing and interacting together. Just one last important piece remained to this 3D jigsaw.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.