Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


She must have hit her head last night too.

 

That was the only conclusion I could make as I sorted through files at work.  My job at a small law firm was nothing to make noise about. I organized some files, and followed the head lawyer of the firm to some of his cases. Truthfully, I wasn’t a ‘lawyer’. But for my parents own bragging rights I was.

 

“Hey, you going to happy hour?” another worker from the firm asked as he peaked his head into the door.

 

“Can’t,” I sighed. “I’m actually getting ready to head out. Do you mind telling the others I had to leave early?”

 

“ You can count on it, I’ll catch you tomorrow.” on that note he left me alone. Not for long though, I left a few minutes after that.

 

I called Sora over to my place, and I couldn’t leave her waiting. She was terribly impatient, and did not like anyone wasting her time. I had not planned on telling her about Ava, but she had convinced me that Sora’s medical attention was needed.

 

I had beat Sora back, and I was glad to find Ava sleeping with all my things in the places I had left them earlier.  It wasn’t surprising since I had drugged Ava up on all those painkillers to keep her from doing anything criminal while I was gone. The look on her face was peaceful, and I didn’t dare disturb her. I switched out of my work clothes for a plain white shirt and some dark blue denim jeans, and by the time I had settled I heard the doorbell ring.

 

“ I should have known that you wouldn’t be able to handle it. Where is Cat?” Sora bursted through the door without a greeting. This was typical Sora behavior, so I wasn’t too bothered.

 

“About that-” I said as I followed behind Sora. Somehow on the phone I had failed to mention Ava, and refute my lie about Kat having the flu.She roamed around the house, and finally spotted Ava on the couch.

 

“Why is Cat three shades darker?” Sora asked as she eyed Ava’s sleeping body. I ran my left hand over my hair, and prepared myself for the story I was about to unleash on Sora. She looked back at me dead on, anxiously anticipating my explanation.

 

“What had happened was...”


+


“Julian, why haven’t you reported this!” Sora was speaking to me, but her eyes were on Ava as she circled around the sofa.

 

“I was going to, but-”

 

“But what?!”  Sora countered. I was about to give her my reasoning, but we were both interrupted by the sound of Ava stirring in her sleep.

 

She was awake.

 

Sora immediately ran to her side, and kneeled before her. “How do you feel?” She asked. The tone of her voice had done a three sixty from grueling to soft and caring. It was a tone that I was only familiar with when Sora was talking to a patient. She felt her cheek and forehead and nodded her head in approval without saying a word. “Do you remember how you got here?” she asked almost innocently.

 

“I was with the professor,” She spoke slowly.

 

 

“Then I woke up here”.  She looked around the room, and her eyes fell on the roses with intrigue once again.

 

“Where is your professor.” Sora asked.

 

Ava looked out the window in the back of the living room. It was pitch black outside, so there was really nothing to look at.  

 

“He should be on the MIT campus right now.” she said gazing back at Sora and I.

 

“The last place I remember being was in a lab with him on campus.” She sat up as her memory began to overwhelm her.

 

“I just don’t remember what I was doing in there with him.” she said flustered.

 

Sora and I looked at one another debating on who would break the news to her.

 

“Go on”, I could see her practically demanding with her eyes. I cleared my throat and took a good look at Ava.

 

“Ava, you're in Maryland right now.” I could feel Sora affirming my words with the nodding of her head from behind my back.

 

“That’s impossible”,  She looked around astonished.

 

Sora couldn’t take it any longer “I’m calling the police,” she said.

 

Sora grabbed her iphone and just before she could enter her passcode Ava cried, “You can’t!”

 

Both of our attention was back on her. “Just give me some time, some time to remember”.

 

“I don’t think-” Sora began.

 

“Fine.” I cut her off before she could finish. She looked at me her face screwing up.

 

“What are you doing! You can’t keep an amnesiac you found at your doorstep in your home!” Sora was beyond disbelief.

 

“And I can’t turn her in either”, I ended the conversation at that.

 

“I hope you know what you’ve gotten yourself into”, Sora mumbled to herself. I acted like I hadn’t heard her, but I knew she was right.

 

Sora was always right.


+


Sora looked over my shoulder at Ava then whispered to me “Have you told Cat?”

 

“No.” Sora and I were only standing a few feet away from her in the kitchen. Sora had pulled me there in an attempt to talk some sense into me.

 

“Well, what do you expect her to do when she finds out there’s some women staying in your home?” She shouted barely above a whisper.

 

“She’ll be fine, Do you think I can get your help though?” without being too obvious I diverted the conversation away from Cat. I still hadn’t told Sora we had called it quits.

 

“Help!? Julian I’m calling the-”, just as she tried to walk away I pulled her back by the arm.

 

“ You’re either going to help, or you're not.” I said frankly.

 

“The hell is that! Are you giving me some type of ultimatum?” Sora cocked her hip out as she placed her right hand on it.

 

“Julian, she thinks it is 2562!”

 

“I know!

 

“For all I know, you're not right in the head either. How could you go to work and leave some strange women in your house!” Sora was no longer whispering, but yelling. She took a moment to close her eyes taking one long breath in then a slow one out. Then calmly she said,

 

“This is not a conversation, were not a having a dialogue.” She drew out her words, and waved her hand between the space that sat between us with an over emphasis of her shoulders.

 

“Were taking her to the emergency room, then I am calling the police.” In a motherly fashion she nodded her head up and down as she slowly drew out the word “police”.  I willingly gave into Sora with no further argument. From across the room I peeked over at the questionable woman, (Ava if i remembered correctly), sitting tense in my love sit. She idly thumbed around with her fingers occasionally taking her bottom lip between her teeth.

 

“Hey.” I called to her. Her eyes looked up  from her hand with wide irises. She had been startled by the sound of my voice.

 

“Were going to take you to the hospital. My girlfriend left some clothes behind. I think you should fit some....” My words trailed off and I wandered off into my room.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.