Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


A local hip-hop station played some Dj Mustard sounding song as the bass saturated every corner of my car. I drove slow past every bus stop pulling my head out the window to make sure I didn’t miss Ava sitting at one of them. I had my coat zipped up to my chin freezing. It was sunny but just below 50 degrees outside. It was not the most ideal weather to ride around with my window all the way down along with my passenger side.


I would only dedicate an hour, maybe two, to driving around a few blocks away from the hospital before I called it quits. No one would know, and if I found Ava in front of some Mcdonalds, or anything like that, she would be dropped off back in front of the hospital door. What she did after that I would no longer be concerned. She already cut into my work twice. And I made no plans on moving her into my crib. the car behind me hit his horn aggressively as I slowed down in front of the fifth bus stop.


+

 

Ava took a deep inhale of the outdoor air as her feet straddled between the entrance and exit of the hospital. She adjusted the terrible bra which was lacy, tan, and a little too large for her barely C-cup sized breast. The brisk breeze or the winter wind pricked against her exposed arms.


“Freezing.” She whispered to herself as she feverishly rubbed her arms for warmth. She wasted no time briskly walking out to the street. The moon was faint behind the clouds and the few streetlights gave passersby an eerie shadow over their face.


Where am I?


The air was  thin, clear of dust and gases. Coming to the hospital as she looked down to her ankle and recognized the brace, she knew that Julian was not a liar. She had managed to forget the details, but she was in the year 2013. That was the only way she could explain why no matter how hard she tried she just couldn’t remove that tackey, tight, sweaty anklet in her hospital bed.


But why couldn’t she remember that she had traveled? From being sick to then being turned into the police, Ava hadn’t even thought about exactly what was the last thing she remembered. She stopped took a seat at some bench with glass surrounding it.


Okay.


I had just finished my test in one of my classes in computer programming. I grabbed some coffee, then I met professor Schulz in his lab. I even saw him working on this ankle bracelet I was wearing when I got there. Suddenly I woke up in 2013.


“Damn it Schulz!” She cursed out.


“Really? a time machine that makes you forget you traveled time?”


She was cold, tired, hungry, and some dirty man sitting beside her wouldn’t stop asking her for a quarter. She got up and continued to walk down the sidewalk aimlessly.  She knew that if she couldn’t find a place with some heating soon, she would only come down with a fever again and end up back with the police in a hospital bed.


“Yo ma!”


Ava’s head whipped around to take a glimpse at a young man who had to be no older than 25. He was dressed neatly in a royal blue hoodie and pair of black jeans. You could tell from the lazy way his feet dragged one foot in front of the other that he was intoxicated.


“Yea, I’m talking to you! What’s good?”


Ava quickly looked back in front of her ignoring the young man. She didn’t understand exactly what was happening. No one spoke like this in the year 2652, the way he spoke was too colloquial. But the barking tone of his voice  in the middle of night, on some street with no bystanders, made Ava’s skin feel like it was crawling.


“Prissy Bitch!” He shouted turning clumsily to stumble away.


Ava abruptly turned a corner onto the next street where she spotted a similar bench surrounded by glass like the bench she had sat on earlier. tired and unsure where she going, she rested her head across it and closed her eyes.


+


There she was. After driving around for two hours she was there at the bus stop in front of Sonic asleep. She had changed out of her hospital gear back into Kat’s old clothes I had given her coming to the hospital. I didn’t even look at oncoming traffic when I whipped the wheel across the street onto the shoulder of the road right across from Sonic. I ran across the street and lifted up her 5’ 5’’ petite frame onto my own. She was wearing no coat and her body was freezing against mine.  When we got back in my car I rolled up my windows and turned the heat up high. I heard her rustling in the back seat and from the rearview mirror I could see the slit of white between her eyelids. She moved about in the backseat, but for the most part she was still asleep.


“Mommy?” she mumbled under her breath.


“You must be crazy for real, I’m not your mother.” I said without looking back, mindful that she wasn’t listening.


“I’ll find him and the world will change. I promise.”


She hummed to herself, and from the rearview mirror I could see her nodding her head. Her eyes were still shut.


“Schulz promised.”

 

I turned up the radio to keep her nonsensical ramblings out of my ear. It was my first time dealing with this level of crazy.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.