Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


CHAPTER 25


First day back at school and I was dreading it.

After tying the laces of my black converses, I grabbed my school bag and just as I was about to make my way out of my room I stopped at the full length mirror, assessing what I was wearing, which was nothing special; some pair of grey tracksuit bottoms with the matching hoodie. My face was free of anything make-up wise and my hair was parted into two cornrows.

Exhaling slowly, I tried to steady the rocketing nerves embedded within me on thoughts of what more potential self-hating treatment I was going to be so fortunate to receive.

I managed to coax myself into dragging my butt down the stairs to see my mum washing the dishes, just like the perfect housewife she was evolving into.

Not even turning her head to acknowledge my presence she said, "You got a letter in the post today."

Pausing from washing the dishes, she dried her wet hands with the purple dry cloth folded neatly beside her, before picking up a medium-sized brown envelope from the kitchen counter and handing it over to a confused looking me.

"I wonder who it's from."

"If you open it, there's a tiny chance you might just find out," said my mother, sarcasm having taken dominance in her everyday speech.

It's funny how she said the same thing I said every single time she got a letter even though she already knew it'd turn out to be a reminder from an overdue bill. Sigh, parents- the definition of hypocrites.

My look of disapproval changed to high suspicions when I saw the sly, I-know-something-you-don't-know grin smacked on her face and when she caught me looking at her she resumed her earlier housewife duties of washing the dishes.

Dear Sir or Madam,

This letter is to acknowledge that --Luciana Esther Carter - completed 84 hours of community service for our organization(Henriquez Cargo Shipping) between 20nd of December till the 1st of January.

Eduardo Henriquez

C.E.O of Henriquez Cargo Shopping

I flipped the single-page letter to check its legitimacy, but seeing the H.C.S heading imprinted at the top of the page, I started to question the 5W's to the situation.

What was Angelo thinking not telling me I was under some sort of court order of community service whilst I was under the notion that we had settled this out-of-court like we had both agreed and signed to?

When had I ever worked under the supervision of Angelo's uncle and at his company?

Why would Angelo not inform me beforehand of my completion of community service when he came three nights ago?

Where could I get a baboon stick?

Who was strong enough to pin him down whilst I shoved the aforementioned baboon stick up his a-hole as reward for always managing me to leave me even more confused with every action he took?

"So...who's the letter from?"

"Apparently I've completed my community service for Angelo," I replied in a bored tone like not ever seeing Angelo didn't bother me at all when in actual fact it so badly did.

Reasons? Only God knew.

"Ah, you must be real glad about that," stated my mum with a questioning grin on her face as she carefully watched my facial expression waiting for my answer.

"Yeah, sure," Realising that it was time I started making my way to school, I picked up my school bag. "Mum I'm going now."

An example of a good that had come from my dad being finally home was that I didn't need to wake up earlier in order to get Bobby dressed and drop him off at school before making my way to mine. Unlucky for me though, Bobby and my dad left in the car which left me to trudge through the snow.

"Erm, Luciana where do you think you're going?"

"School," I said just when I was about to open the house door.

Where else would I be going? Sometimes I wondered about the woman.

"Well how are you getting to school?"

"I'm walking."

"I don't think so, you'd probably not make it past the door before you slip and bump your head on the pavement. You are a walking hazard whenever your feet come in contact with snow."

"I can walk on snow perfectly fine," I defiantly replied even though I knew she was right.

"Your dad thinks differently. He told me you slipped twice when you went out with him the other day, and that was when the snow was light."

And just when she said that I wondered if she told my dad that she was the one that had supplied me with the condoms and contraceptive pills?

"I know what you're thinking."

"No you don't."

"I know I do."

"Okay, fine what am I thinking?" I challenged her balling my hands on the side of my hips - if she wanted to act like Ms. Mind-Reader well I'd happily give her the floor opening.

My whole family was a cocky bunch, I just wonder why that trait didn't dominate in my genes.

"You're thinking why didn't your dad lash out at me for giving you the condoms and the birth controls when I was the one that gave them to you, right?"

Ignoring my shocked face, she continued, "Don't worry about that, your dad and I have sorted it and we trust you'll make the best decision."

I had no doubt what she meant by 'best decision'.

"Anyway, I was talking to Sara yesterday and she told me her son would be more than happy to take you school today."

"Morning, beautiful!"

Ignoring the serious sparks threatening to blow my heart out, I rolled my eyes as I seated myself uncomfortably in Angelo's car. "Morning."

Secretly savouring a glance his way, I watched with little envy how he could appear attractively calm whilst it felt for me that any second my veins and arteries would sputter out from within me.

I was shaking and it wasn't because of the low temperature - I still hadn't gotten over the scene in my room from the other day, the letter I received and then the strange calmness from him like everything was roses and sunshine.

Attempting to control my shaking nerves, I matted my hands on my laps to stop the trembling.

"Are you cold?"

Before he heard my answer he grabbed my hand with his soft, manly ones, effectively stopping my shudders. His thumb then stroked my palms before weaving his slim fingers through the gaps of mine and settling our joint hands on his thighs.

"Are you still cold?"

"No, not anymore."

"Good."

It seriously got to me that he was acting all calm and wasn't addressing the elephant in the room.

"So are you ready for your first day back?"

"What's there to be ready for? School is shit."

"Someone's got a potty mouth."

"Is it that obvious?"

"Clearly someone isn't in a good mood either. What's wrong?"

You! You're what's wrong! I wanted to shout out, but of course I didn't. "Nothing's wrong."

"Of course not", he said, before adding, "I don't know why you girls always do this. There's obviously something wrong yet you wanna play mind games."

Despite the tension, we still held hands - and that's all I could think about as I looked out of the window, silence taking over us.

I took in the thick inches of snow on the streets and even though I wouldn't admit it to my mum I was grateful that Angelo had given me a ride to school. The traffic was ridiculous but at least I was in the warmth.

I looked at Angelo for a quick second and it was then that it really sank the reality of what was going on - he was holding my hands.

He'd said he wanted to create love with me.

He thought I was 'beautiful'.

And I certainly hadn't forgot the so-called community service.

And something else too.

"Are you really a virgin?"

"You're not seriously going to tell me that's what bothering you," he replied dryly as he swerved past the other cars when the lights went green.

"You haven't answered my question."

"I am a handsome, intelligent and kind..." after a second he added, "...at times, 21 year-old virgin, who not only is capable of thinking outside the box, but also outside the boxers...most of the time."

We were at the traffic lights that had turned red, so Angelo turned in his seat staring intently at me and I was almost forced to break eye contact, but I managed to hold my ground. "One guy is not like every other guy and every other guy isn't like the one guy. I need you to trust me Lucy."

"So you're serious about saving yourself for marriage?"

"Yeah I guess."

In that brief moment we locked gazes, which probably didn't last for more than a second, something intimate and powerful transferred into the enclosed atmosphere. It gave me the funnies just thinking about it.

It took few minutes before we went back to normal, or as normal as I could be and I was thankful for the conversation having digressed to my plans after I finished high school.

Conversation between us flowed and I found myself getting uneasy at how easy I was starting to become used to him and being around him. Too easy for my liking.

I had told him how after high school I wanted to take a year out from education and instead work to raise money for college and also volunteer part time at an orphanage or a foster home. He had asked me what my career plans were and I told him I wanted to become a child nurse, and this was his smart response:

"Hmm, I'll be a doctor and you'll be a nurse. I see how that can be fun in other circumstances."

Finally after half an hour's drive, he parked in the school's parking lot despite me repeatedly protesting he shouldn't, given the fact his car would certainly attract attention.

"Did you bring the letter?" Angelo asked whilst I was unbuckling the seatbelt from my waist.

Pausing after realising what he was talking about, my eyes cut into slits, my annoyance pouring in, in heaps.

"Yes I did bring the letter and I was wondering when you would tell me that I was under a court order, despite the out of court deal you made me sign."

"Relax, all you need to do is show it to your principal to prove that you're on good behaviour again. Believe it or not, but the paper where you wrote your number on was actually a school letter, so you kind of made it easy for me. I came to your school but they withheld information from me, for your security, so I had to explain to them what happened and get my lawyer involved."

With every word of explanation that was supposed to bring clarity to the situation I got even more pissed.

"So now that my school knows, they won't give me a good reference when I go applying for jobs and I might as well kiss being a child nurse goodbye. Thank you so much for your marvellous help in ruining my future."

Before he could give another stupid explanation to me, I got my stuff and climbed out of his car.

A mass of students scattered around the school building, many taking a look at the car I had just come out from. From behind me, I heard the sound of a car door being slammed shut. Desperate not to be anywhere near the Buttbag I upped my pace in the direction of the school entrance. It only took ten or so steps before I felt myself tumbling down but with my guardian angel, or ironically speaking Angelo on my side or rather behind me he quickly hoisted me up and kept me steady before I did my first face plank in public.

"Careful."

Having turned me around, he pressed me against his warm chest and enveloped me in a tight embrace. My limp, cold hands hung to the sides resisting giving in to him.

"Don't worry everything's sorted, stay in them books and stay outta trouble."

Pushing him away after making me sound like an imbecile, he grinned at me before jogging back over to his car and setting off.

Shifting back to the direction of the school entrance, I ignored the several pairs of eyes dotted around staring openly at me.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.