Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


CHAPTER 30 Pt.1

 

"Esther girl come down, we're late as it is!"

The heat of nerves lodged in the hollows of my belly only intensified when I heard my dad shout for me. I kept telling myself to stop being so chicken-shit over eggs not laid. And for those who did not understand that metaphor - too bad. Breathing in and breathing out in risk of hyperventilating, I came to stand in front of my mirror, assessing my simple, white sun dress that stopped just above my knees. The day before, out of laziness in maintaining the short kinky mess at the top of my head, I had gone to the hairdresser's and had big Bantu knots done.

My heart lurched against my chest at hearing my mother scream at me from the bottom of the stairs. "Luciana how long is it gonna take you to get ready?!"

I feared never. I wasn't ready to see Angelo again.

He had wanted me, that much I could say.

I had wanted him, that much I could admit.

His light brown eyes had turned coal-coloured from the waves of tamed passion that I saw emanate itself in the few milliseconds he realised what I was wearing.

Thank God Almighty my mind was in gear - I had shrunk away from him as far away as possible whilst trying to do the impossible of covering my too obvious butt in those damned French maid knickers, whilst he stood in a trance-like state. Needing to take control of the situation, I had stuttered out a small white lie about my mum calling me while he was gone saying she needed me back home to do something for her. Thankfully, he didn't try probe for more information like he'd usually do instead he walked out the room saying he'd be waiting in the car for me.

The car ride had been silent, even the smell of the pizza couldn't sway my attention to my empty belly. When I had reached my house I had said a quick bye to him, grabbing my box of pizza I had flung out the car as if swarms of midget devils were chasing me.

The thought of a guy evidently showing in a less than verbal way but more 'body language' how much he wanted me, terrified me. Any ounce of confidence I had wearing the stupid costume immediately fizzled away from then on. Against Angelo's lethal look of lust, I had shrivelled into a cesspool from intimidation.

The image of the scene in his room I fought hard to erase from my memory but I just couldn't. It was all just so hard with us being Christian and aiming for a chaste life before marriage, but the tension we felt between us was some major sexual currents that our fragile, fallible bodies found hard to power out. Thankfully we did in time.

Weirdly in the two day period we didn't see each other face to face our communication did not appear in anyway awkward and I was more than happy to carry on with the pretence that there was nothing that needed to be discussed but based on history I knew I had to put my adult- cap on and eventually have a conversation with him.

"Hurry up Luciana, mum said that I should come get you," the unexpected voice of Bobby in my bedroom roused me from my thoughts.

Taking a deep breath, I turned away from my mirror to face my little brother who was standing impatiently by the doorway, no doubt eager to be reacquainted with his friend Robinho. Not wanting to delay my family any longer to the barbecue I replied, "Alright, alright I'm ready."

As I walked closer to exit my room I noticed the sly little smile casually settled on my brother's lips. It was discomforting to say the least. Clearing invisible mucus and crumbs from my face with my fingertips, I raised my eyebrows at him. "What?"

Silly knowing smile still intact, my brother decided to be the smart-ass he was growing up to be and replied with a question of his own. "What's what?"

He wasn't helping my nerves nor my patience. Breathing out slowly to calm my spazzing nerves, I asked, "What are you looking at?"

"You."

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you smiling in my face like you know something I don't?"

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't," my brother's not so innocent smile having grown wider sparked a mischievous twinkle in his playful dark, brown eyes.

"How does it feel?"

A semi-serious gaze had taken over my brother's face and I became more confused than ever.

"How does what feel?" I asked my brain having gone blank from the random question.

He shrugged his shoulders at me, with yet another smart-ass reply hot and ready to be served. "That's what I'm asking you, big sis."

Someone must have been teaching my former innocent brother the art of been an increasingly frustrating and infuriating smart-ass.

Smart-ass.

Ass.

Butt.

Butt?

Butt-bag.

Butt Bag.

Butt Bag!

Damn that Angelo.

"Have you been speaking to Robinho's bro-"

"LUCIANA I AIN'T PLAYING, IF ALL THE BARBECUE CHICKEN IS GONE, I'M EATING YOUR ASS FOR DINNER!"

At the sound of my mother's threat; any sign of nerves, anxiety or interrogation vanished - immediately. No one wanted to keep Maya Carter waiting when she was hungry.

It was only when my dad drove into the Henriquezs' residence that I grew queasy with anxiety - I was shitting myself.

Without hesitation my mum, dad, and brother eagerly climbed out the cars stretching their limbs briefly before strolling away. Out the car window, my mum had grabbed hold of Bobby's wrists before he went shooting off to God knows where.

All of a sudden my dad halted to a stop which prompted the other two to cease from further movement. He had said something to them and nodded his head to the direction of where they just came from before heading back towards the car.

At least someone realises I'm missing, I thought.

I was sadly mistaken. Figures that my dad only came back to lock the car doors. I banged repetitively hard on the window as he made steps to catch up with my brother and mother. Hearing the loud banging from behind him, he turned around once again sporting an identical smile as that of the one his son had worn earlier on.

"I knew that would get you out the car."

"Oh my gosh dad, I can't believe you made me think that you forgot about me," I huffed irritated as he opened the passenger door for me.

"Never that Es, couldn't forget my star," he chuckled lightly, offering me his arm to loop mine through.

An involuntary grin fleeted across my face as we walked arm-in-arm to meet up with my mother and Bobby. The four of us rounded the corner of the house since the barbecue was being held in the backyard and I don't think any of us were prepared for the sight that we were met with.

"Mum I thought you said the barbecue was between friends and family so why does it look like the whole world has been invited?"

"Child, I have no clue."

We'd walked past the big house and into the big number-acre backyard of Angelo's uncle. There was a bouncy castle and carousel on one end that was occupied by the little ones, several canopy tents were set up with guests seated around the round plastic tables eating the delicious looking barbecued meats and drinking and laughing and just being generally merry. Mega-sized speakers boomed with Latin music, I smiled content as I watched people dance and get lost in the music. In front of the glass sliding doors of the back of the house there was a great, green canopy tent set up and if the constant fog of smoke was not an indication I don't know what could be more obvious to know that was where the barbecue action was taking place.

"Mum I want to get a water gun too," Bobby said seeing children his age running around the grass with water guns whilst the adults yelled at them in Spanish for getting them wet.

My mum one too get easily hot and bothered especially if she was running on an empty belly said, "Not until we find Sara."

Then as an afterthought she added, "My feet are already killing me."

"No one told you wear the damned shoe, May."

I knew as soon as my dad said something a silly argument would commence. My mum rolling her neck faced my father giving him the one finger. "I wore them because they looked good and judging by the look you gave me earlier on, I'd say you agree."

"What choice do I really have?" asked my dad, sighing softly at my mum's typical hard-headed antics.

"None, exactly. So when we get home I'm gonna need you to massage my feet."

A scowl surfacing his lips, my dad replied, "That's not possible."

Fingering underneath her newly-manicured nails, she replied in a casual tone, "Very well. I guess someone isn't getting their midnight snack tonight."

Glancing up, she then gave my dad a challenging look which my dad surely understood as an amused smile quickly grew on his face.

"Erm, hello, children present."

I jumped in before it got any naughtier for my innocent ears whilst nodding my head to Bobby who really wasn't paying attention to the three of us but nevertheless I no longer wanted to be a witness to my parents' conversation.

"Look, there's Sara!"

We all followed Bobby's gaze and there and behold was Sara talking animatedly to one of the people in charge of the barbecue in the green canopy. With a light chuckle after sending a not so sly suggestive wink at my mum, my dad said, "Let's go meet the Henriquezs."

I was shitting myself once again- next to Sara was Angelo. My belly churned and churned as if it was in a belly-go-round and then it decided to juggle the contents of my stomach up and down like it was in some sick circus. Whilst my parents and brother all sported excited, care-free smiles as they approached the green canopy, I stormed up ways in my brain in which I could avoid him.

"Dad I need to go find the toilet," I said as we were only twenty feet away from the Henriquezs.

"Wait till we say hello to the Heriquezs. It's all part of the social convention."

Social convention could have kissed my coffee beans at that moment.

Groaning, I half-whispered, half-moaned like a two year old. "Dad I honestly need the toilet, I'm desperate."

"Esther, I just told you we have to greet the Henriquezs first. For once could you be less like your mother and just listen?"

Even with his cheeks all ballooned up as he took a big bite out of his burger and barbecue sauce on his chin he still looked good, thankfully he hadn't noticed me. Already I could hear my mum way-too happily greeting Sara and Sara equally happily responding, her accent stronger than ever. I refused to make eye-contact with any of them and all the smoke coming from the barbecue and the lovely, intoxicating, meaty smells wafting around was starting to mess with my senses and I really just wanted to get out of there.

"Daddy, I need to poo..." realising that I had unfailingly gained the attention of everyone in close proximity to us, I continued, "...put my make-up on."

Of course I was subject to the laughter that followed.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.