Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


CHAPTER 6

 

I had gotten myself a job without actually applying for it. To some, that would be a call for celebration but for me it meant explaining to my mum who was going to take care of Bobby, because she sure as hell wasn't going to pay for a babysitter.

After the interrogation I had been offered a ride back home by one of the officers unfortunately Buttbag insisted on taking me home. When I asked why, he didn't even answer. And of course, he was driving another ridiculously priced car, although a little more humble looking, if that was even possible for a car I didn't know but I couldn't lie, the interior was amazing. It was during the car ride that I came to know how much of an ass hole he was.

It had gone something like this:

Butt Bag: What's your full name?

Me: You already know that.

Butt Bag: Yes, but I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. Now answer.

Me: Luciana Esther Carter. What's yours?

Butt Bag: I ask, you answer not the other way round but I'll let you off this time. My name's Angelo. What's your date of birth?

Me: I'm of legal age.

Butt Bag: You know, when I ask for your date of birth, I'm looking for figures.

Me: I don't see why you need to know that. I'm only working for you for a short while. Why did you even offer me the job?

Butt Bag: Think of it more as...Community Service or hmm... if you want, it could be a Personal Service.

Me: If you so much as dare try anything with me, the only 'personal service' you'd be getting is my fist in your face!

At my threat he had laughed calling me 'crazy' and then wondered out loud if I'd be 'crazy in bed too' and in return he'd received a punch to his arm. Having not expected it, the car swerved dangerously to the side of the road, but fortunately he managed to gain back control in time.

"You'd be working much longer for me, if you damage this car too!"

Oddly, the idea had appealed to me. I know - I was too stupid. I was warming all the way up to the idea of being his housemaid. It must have been because I never really did interact with the opposite sex outside of my family, it was a totally new arena for me and I was excited. A guy talking to little ol' me?

Yeah it was lots to be excited about.

I did feel as if I was getting way ahead of myself, considering how I'd impulsively punched him. I didn't know how to be around boys, like did they like being punched, did they like being sassed?

In an effort to not do something stupid I looked out the window remaining silent for the rest of the journey. When we reached my place, I murmured a bye and got out of the car not looking back.

When I got up to the steps of my house I heard him shout, "See you soon mi pequeño querido!"

He'd driven off before I could ask him to translate what he'd said but truth be told he could have called me a fat hippo and I still would have thought it sounded gorgeous from his lips.

Forgetting rather quickly about my misfortune with the Buttbag, I unlocked the door to my house and not even three steps in I felt thin arms envelope my chunky thighs.

"Lucy, you're back!"

I looked down to see my eight-year old brother who had the biggest smile placed on his face. "Yes, I'm back Bobby."

He made it seem like I had been gone for a six months voyage, whereas in reality it had only been two hours at most.

"Where's mum?" I asked after paying attention to the silence in the house.

"She's still upstairs sleeping."

"Okay, so have you eaten?"

"Yeah, momma made me some bacon and eggs before she went to sleep."

Surprised by the revelation that my mum had cooked something, I lifted my eyebrows in disbelief - she hardly ever cooked.

"Come watch TV with me, Lucy."

Forever having a spot for toothless children I gave in despite the situation that I was still trying to sort out in my head. "Fine, but only 'cos you asked nicely."

And that was how we spent most of the day; from one cartoon to the other. I'd always been a kid at heart and having a younger sibling gave me an excuse for watching things which wouldn't be expected to be watched by an eighteen year old. I was still in my robes, not having bothered to change because I didn't feel the need to and my brother was still in his pyjamas -we were having an epic lazy day -well apart from me being summoned to the police station.

My brother and I were still lazily watching TV when I heard footsteps marching down the stairs. A red alert went off in my head at knowing that it was my mum. I hopped off the sofa, leaving my brother to continue the cartoon-fest and met my mother at the landing.

"Good afternoon, mum."

Snorting she replied, "And what's so good about the afternoon Luciana? Is it you lying to my face? Or maybe coming back from a twelve hour shift and seeing the police at my doorstep? Hmm tell me which one of those makes for a 'good afternoon'?"

"Mum, I was just greeting you."

"Well don't", she said walking around me to walk in the kitchen switching on the kettle to make tea to put in the flask she took to work.

My mum had some serious attitude going on and I knew that she'd be less than patient to sit down and hear what else I had to say so I decided to just come with it - which was easier said than done.

"The damage I done to the car meant that I'd be liable to pay a hundred and twenty thousand dollars but-"

That undoubtedly got my mother's attention. "WHAT?! Girl were you high when you smashed into his car? A hundred and twenty thousand?!"

"Mum listen, I signed to agree an out-of-court settlement, which in my case is better, since I don't have the money for a lawyer. Knowing this, Mr. Henriquez offered me a job...to be his housemaid."

I looked on as my mother poured in the water in her flask not having said anything in response to my explanation. Feeling exasperated, I called her name again.

"Whatever, I don't have time for your stupidity. You wanna act all grown, carry on."

With that she closed the lid to her flask, got her bag, put on her coat as she walked towards the front door. Before leaving she yelled a bye to Bobby and slammed the door behind her not giving me a second glance.

I couldn't help but feeling like a piece of shit at having my mother dismiss me like that. Too weighed out in my hurt feelings I decided to have an early night in.

Before I headed up the stairs I told my brother I was going to sleep but not before reminding him what time he had to go up to bed. Luckily, my brother was pretty much the kind of child who was okay left on his own, as long as he had the TV and I didn't need to worry about the sort of programmes he watched as my mum had set up the parental control on the cable.

I got to my room and immediately crashed onto my bed. My bed had never felt as comfortable as it did then and within five minutes I had drifted off to sleep.

The sound of my phone ringing broke me off my so far sound sleep. Possessed by utmost annoyance I retrieved my phone from underneath my pillow. Not bothering to check the ID, I accepted the call.

"Who's this?"

"Is that any way to greet to your employer?"

Hearing the word 'employer' all sleep erased from my eyes as I erected myself into a sitting position on my bed.

"Why are you calling me at..." I took my phone away from my ears to check the time that was on the screen before continuing, '...at 04:02 in the freaking morning? And how did you even get my number in the first place?"

His warm chuckle through the phone put me in a light daze, it sounded too good to be true so I brought it down to me still being half asleep.

"Remember when you told me to call you, 'after sorting out what's stuck up my

ass', well baby I think you'd be the perfect person to sort that out for me."

Grateful that he could not see my flushed face, I took in deep breaths in an attempt to calm the blood rushing through my veins. With the most disgusted tone I could muster, I said, "If that's what you called me at four am in the morning for, then goodbye."

I was about to press the 'end call' button when I heard a short snort from his side. "I'm picking you up in an hour to come to my place."

And get this, he was the one that cut off the line.

I sat there in the darkness of my room, repeating his last words as if I was reciting for a French speaking test. When his words finally sunk in I scrambled off my bed but not before tripping somehow on my feet, making a very a heavy thumping sound that could only resemble elephants stumping on the ground.

Not having any choice but to bring my brother along, I went to his room seeing him sprawled on top of his covers. I had to shake him rather violently as my brother was such a heavy sleeper - seriously, a tornado, earthquake and hurricane could be going on outside at the same time and he would still have been sleeping soundly.

Bobby and I were bathed and dressed and ready to go at exactly five am, and at exactly that time Angelo rolled up in front of the house. I locked the door to our house and carried my sleepy brother to the car. The car windows rolled down to reveal a questioning pout on Angelo's face at the sleeping figure resting on the crook of my neck.

Not really knowing what to say, I just said, "It's 'Take Your Son To Work' today."

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.