Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


CHAPTER 6 Pt. 3 (But really it's a bonus chapter to compensate for my long-absence)

 

I was too lazy to be chasing after him so I just sat on the bed licking the cake off of my face with my tongue. For a second I was tempted to smear his passport with the icing and then he wouldn't be able to travel. That would serve him right.

Besides my obviously good-natured personality, the last time I'd received a birthday cake was a long time ago, so I'd be damned if I couldn't have my cake and eat it too. But when my face started getting all itchy with the all the sugar I decided it'd be wiser for me to have my bath. Half an hour later just as I was putting my foot into my black boots the Buttbag finally made an appearance with a smirk on his face.

“Why did you wipe it off? I think the icing on the cake really enhanced your features.”

Giving him a dirty look I said nothing as I threw the other boot in his direction and he once again dodged it whilst laughing to himself.

“Why do you have to be so violent?”

“You love it,” I replied back sticking my tongue out at him as he threw back the other pair of boots for me to catch.

“Oh I do now?”

“Absolutely. You're a sadomasochist.”

To this he just snorted at me, whilst I laughed at myself like I'd spontaneously grown a funny bone.

Fifteen minutes later, we were in the rental car heading in the direction of my so-called 'birthday present' when in reality it was my boyfriend's playground.

“Did you ever join any after school clubs or did any extra-curricular activities?” Angelo asked about five minutes into the journey breaking the comfortable silence between us.

My mind came up blank. “No.”

“Nothing at all?”

“You got yourself a pretty boring girlfriend. Nothing at all. I always had to rush to pick my brother up from school. It left no time for anything.”

“Ah I see,” he said with a thoughtful expression on his face but I was enjoying the peaceful moment between us so I didn't bother asking why he'd asked me that question.

When we finally arrived at the racing track it felt for a second like I was sitting next to Pepito before a football match but instead it was my twenty-three year old boyfriend. He was barely able to apply the clutches properly before jumping out of the car.

We had an instructor who gave a long talk to us about the health and safety protocols - basically the boring part and that took just over an hour. I can't lie though, the news of us getting to ride a Ferrari and Mercedes did spur a little excitement in me. It's funny that I felt that, because here was me who up until six weeks ago did have a sports car to call my own but instead I sold it because of the fear I always had of owning such a valuable thing but now I was missing it.

Oh well.

Near the end of the health and safety session a former F1 driver made an appearance. I didn't know who it was, and I must have been the only one who didn't know who it was as everyone else had given him a standing ovation when he came into the room.

Realising this Angelo gave me like a ten second history as to why I should be excited and honoured to be breathing in the same oxygen as the man, and that was after I had lagged a few seconds to get up and awkwardly join in the clapping.

It was things like this that stressed how different both of us were. I loved how passionate he got about things but sometimes I could see his frustration that he tried to hide when I didn't match his enthusiasm. And I sort of knew already that that was why he'd asked me the question back in the car; I was just like the wind floating here and there seeing where I could fit in.

It actually bothered me.

Determined to not let such things get to me, especially because it would be our last full day before he'd be going back to the States, I paid attention to what was going on.

After the tutorial, we each got helmets and protective clothing which I had to rent – Angelo had come with his own and I was pleased to see he'd brought along the one I bought him for his birthday, which was just as well because racing gear did not come cheap.

On the back of the helmet, I had gotten the people at the shop where I bought the helmet from to write in cursive writing, “Pièce de Résistance” because I knew Angelo would appreciate that and indeed he had. Of course he did, it's Angelo I'm talking about. Angelo was Angelo's biggest fan.

After getting ready, we were driven around for several laps to familiarise ourselves with the race course. After doing that, we had some real nice lunch, but Angelo was too excited about getting back on the racing track and hurried me to eat. When we got back, we got to choose what F1 cars to race in I called first dibs on the Ferrari so Angelo had to go with the Mercedes, seeing as I was the birthday girl, he had no choice in the matter.

I got to say though, the feeling of being under the influence of speed - car speed I'm talking about, don't be getting the wrong idea now - was pure ecstasy ( the emotion, I'm referring to). It was just at those moments when I was behind the wheel, I felt like a pilot accelerating, before flying. My mind was blank, and I was being fueled by adrenaline and all my anxieties and worries were in my rear view mirror – behind me.

After about ten thrilling rounds in the cars, we had another break but for some reason Angelo left about half way through saying he needed to go to the toilet but he didn't return till it was time for us to be transferred to the proper F1 single seater cars. I found that weird since he'd taken over thirty minutes, but I decided to let it go.

He was super excited telling me about the brake horsepower, and generally stuff I had to pretend to understand and be excited over - to be honest it kinda was sexy how passionate he was about this whole Formula Uno palaver.

It would be our last set of laps for the day and Angelo decided that we should have a race. For some reason he was really adamant about this but I was pretty confident in my fast and furious driving skills so I just knew my boyfriend wouldn't have anything on me. I was doing it for the win.

“Okay, so three laps. If I win you'll pay for dinner, but if you win I'll pay.”

“Fine then,” I said cockily, “I don't even like lobster but you're going to be paying for one tonight.”

Angelo chuckled as he faced the road ahead, but for a moment before he inserted his head into his helmet, I thought I saw a glimmer of nervousness shadow his face. Giddy with excitement that I'd got my boyfriend shook, I put my own helmet on.

The horn was blown.

With everything in me I pressed my foot down on the gas pedal and set off.

Fifteen minutes later and the results were in – no free lobster for me.

I was close but not close enough.

No one could imagine how greatly surprised I was to have a hombre like Angelo beat me. This was the same guy who always complained about me driving too fast. The same guy who's sluggish driving drove me crazy – he made a normal hour's drive somewhere, an hour AND a hundred and twenty minutes.

In some ways I felt betrayed because Angelo failing to admit just what a beast he was behind the wheels was like an athlete winning medals with the help of performance enhancing drugs or going against a 300lb opponent in the boxing ring when I was just under 200lb – clearly that's not fair competition.

The finishing line was finally in my vision but instead of speeding up to sooner throttle my boyfriend over his borderline cheating, I felt myself slow down noticing my name on the big pole flag along with some other words I couldn't properly see.

A few people standing around, including the former F1 driver, were holding bottles and glasses filled with champagne, looking at me eagerly to come out of the car, but at that moment I couldn't.

Minor detail: Angelo was kneeling down on one leg.

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

A.N: Hey guys, I'm so sorry for the long pause between my uploads – to sum it up in few words - life has been pretty intense.


I hope to upload the next chapter soon enough, Godwilling, and also I shall be posting this month's post on my blog within the coming days, so keep your eyes out for that.


For those of you still with me, honestly thank you. You mean more to me than you'll ever know.


Have a good day and God Bless :-)







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.