Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

To make it a little more authentic, I decided to write the names as they appear in the Turkish language. I intend on doing so for previous chapters as well.

Thank you if you reviewed, I enjoyed reading them. And thank to all who are still with me at this point.

Enjoy :)




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Five hundred Lyra 3

 

Concentration was beyond Daniel. The evolution of Romanian linguistics was the day's topic for Romanian History. The topic reminded her of Adonia and Adonia reminded her of the Öküz family in whose mansion she attended dinner two evenings ago. Adonia had not attended, but everyone in the Öküz clan had. Or so it seemed. It was an event she had desperately wanted to skip however, paying her fellow alumni nine hundred dollars for his lens was not an option.

 

~~

 

When she had cycled up to the gate that evening two forms were discernible in the purplish haze of twilight. One was that of a guard and the other one one was...

 

"Don't tell me you're sitting here waiting for your master like a nice little pup Kurt."

 

"I don't believe I gave permission for you to shorten my name." He nodded towards the guard. "Remember this is what trouble looks like," the guard opened the gate.

 

Daniel curtsied before navigating her bicycle through the pedestrian entrance. The guard took the contraption from her and the two shuffled toward the house together.

 

"So you admit to being my pup."

 

"Why are you on a bicycle?" His voice was even. She couldn't much make out his face.

 

"Beneficial exercise."

 

"Can't afford a taxi."

 

"Behave, naughty pups get the classifieds right upside the..."

 

"Assuming you can't afford a taxi, if you had told me, I could have sent the car." 

 

"Assuming you're being sincere, don't start now, we are beyond such pleasantries." They had walked a path around god-knows-where and now they approached a well lit terrace. Light came from the inside of the home as well as candelabras placed around the rim of the patio and snow lights draped in the foliage of trees and shrubs. A huge pit fire burned a safe distance from the tables. 

 

Kurt stopped, "we are. Isn't it refreshing?" He took a satisfied breath. "I though you would bring me more amusement at lunch, but it was dull as usual. Very disappointing until the end of course," with that he stepped around Daniel, leaving her to follow.

 

True to form, he give no introductions on the terrace. He quietly blended into the small cluster of kin mingling here and there. But it turned out he didn't have to.

 

"Oh my god." A young woman rushed towards her with sun kissed arms stretched out. "You must be Daniel W I N T E R S." She grabbed Daniel's hands and squeezed. Her hair was long and lineal, a lustrous hue of brown. Her eyes were blue, closer to navy in the dim illumination.

 

"Well, yes..."

 

"Okay, did you or did you not, call Adonia a pompous shrew?" Anticipation and glee held her classic features and slender body ridged.

 

Daniel winced, "well, yes..."

 

The young woman cackled in wicked ecstasy, "yes!" She turned her attention away but kept a firm hold on Daniel's left hand. "Guillermo! Did you hear that? She said yes and you owe me five hundred Lyra!" A few people clapped others hooted. Her attention was back on Daniel. She was appraised quickly and favorably it seemed. "Where are my manners..."

 

"Wrapped in my five hundred Lyra no doubt!" Came an answer from behind.

 

"...my name is Voda. I'm a Primul, but my mother is an Öküz..."

 

"You're name means water."

 

Voda's navy blues widened with interest, "do you speak Serbian?"

 

"Znam pomalo, but only a very little. Really, not enough to form sentences or anything. We received a very short introductory lesson during orientation."

 

Voda waved it away quickly, "it is not important. Let me introduce you to everyone."

 

To Daniel it felt very much like being picked up in the tornado of the Tasmanian devil. Voda whisked her around the terrace spouting a grand list of names while pointing ambiguously in this direction or that. Names none of which Daniel did, could or had any intentions of committing to memory. What she did later recall was how Voda described them: burly chested Bağlıco, Barbie Bağlıca, Quagmire chinned Bağlıco, Botox Bağlıca, bespectacled Bağlıca, etc.

 

Her taunts were laughed at then laughed off. Not a drop of low self esteem amongst the lot of them.

 

"Voda, what nonsense." Mir elegantly appeared to the rescue. "Give Daniel room to breath."

 

Voda looked stricken, "you are not cross with me are you Daniel?"

 

"Not at all." Daniel laughed at Voda's obvious relief.

 

"Of course not. As I have determined we shall be good friends. You see," she looked conspiringly, "I think Adonia a pompous shrew as well."

 

"Shrew! Shrew! Shrew!" The cry repeated until Mir silenced them with a hand.

 

"But that Bağlıco," an accusative finger was pointed at the man who had entered with her to lunch, "has not a bit of Öküz blood..."

 

"Not a bit of it!" Sanctioned an enthralled spectator.

 

"...and will not, cannot kick her back over the Carpathians to Romania from wince she swooped down on us."

 

"Where she belongs!" Another spectator concurred.

 

Said spineless Öküz sat unfazed enjoying his cognac.

 

"Decorum Bağlıcau. We do not wish Daniel to think we are uncivilized." Mir looked at the group of relatives. "My dear," to Daniel, "if my husband were here they would be better behaved."

 

"Not so." Voda mumbled.

 

"I assure you, I am envious of your honesty." Daniel patted Mir's hand. "In fact, I think a good swift kick would do a great deal of good."  

 

"Hurray!"

 

"And if the projectile happened to clear the mountain range, it would be no skin off my teeth." Daniel laughed at their joviality.

 

"Get her a drink!"

 

Suddenly, Daniel's hair stood on the back of her neck. Simultaneously, a reverent hush fell over the congregation.

 

"And this projectile would be whom?" A deep yet warm voice inquired from behind. No one said a word. Where was the careless joviality now? The brash calls? Well, Daniel had stuck her foot in it. Wasn't the first time, wouldn't be the last. She turned around calmly and met the appraising eyes of a commanding figure. She tilted her head. He was what Kurt would probably look like given some weathering. He was more mature. Lots more grey. More perspicacious too maybe? The internal jab made Daniel chuckle.

 

"You're laughing?"

 

"You must be Kurt's father." She replied with a smile. There followed some murmuring.

 

"Kurt?" The gentleman blinked. His eyes began to search the group while all heads began to turn in one direction. Kurt stood from his lounge chair and raised his drink.

 

"Welcome home father."

 

Someone snorted and roaring ensued. Daniel looked about them in confusion until her eyes met Kurt's. He simply stared at her devoid of any emotion and took a gulp from his drink. She touched the back of her fingers to her mouth and snickered.

 

"I thought.." He started and the merriment began to subside, "I said..." A titter here, "I didn't give you permission to shorten my name."

 

Daniel shrugged, "seeing as how I'm here by proxy and we are past pleasantries, as you said, I don't see the benefit in waiting for your permission." The swish was audible as all heads pivoted in Kurt's direction.

 

"You made the statement."

 

"I was joking."

 

"No, you weren't," he took another drink from his glass.

 

"No, I wasn't," she feigned contrition, "but you were right," she smiled brightly, "it is refreshing."

 

He finally let a smile creep across his face as he watched her, "yes, it is." Then he laughed and she joined him. Both were oblivious to the reaction of those around them. A notable hum swirled about them. Not of words, but of excitement, interest, expectation and promise. Some were astounded, most were amused.

 

"My dear, I'd like to introduce you, since my son lacks the manners, to my husband, Sevgili Öküz." She guided Daniel over to the patriarch. "Koca, this is Daniel Winters." Daniel extended her hand, which was enveloped by his own.

 

"How do you do?" She shook his firmly and noticed his matched her own but gentle.

 

"I am very happy indeed to come home to such mirth. When my people are light of heart, I am at peace." His eyes never left her face. They were sincere and inviting as was his demeanor. "Please tell me," he released her hand and took his wife's. "How did you come to us?" He led her to a lounge chair and sat with her occupying the armrest.

 

"I suppose if we go back far enough," she frowned, "by way of Faza." An invisible vacuum absorbed all ebullience from the atmosphere as everyone stilled.

 

"You met Faza?" Voda asked in awe.

 

"Yes, I went to his store and met him when I entered."

 

"Faza answered the door?" A cousin asked. They began to exchange looks.

 

Daniel frowned again, "yes we talked about the portrait of his ancestor and then he showed me the view from his writing nest." There followed a few gasps.

 

"Faza is not known to interact with the public Daniel. You must excuse us, we are a bit surprised." Sevgili reassured her in behalf of his family.

 

"Much less take people upstairs. I myself have never been invited." Voda explained.

 

"Oh," Daniel felt self conscious. "He gave me a book and suggested I come take pictures." While the other's eyes again shared undisclosed communications, she looked around until hers fell in line with Kurt's. He smiled and nodded his head slightly. She took a fortifying breath.

 

"Do not make too much of it, my dear," Mir stood and took her hand. "Faza is a great eccentric, I'm sure it is not as singular as these coarse Bağlıcau would cause you to believe." At that dinner was announced and all waited as Sevgili took the lead with Mir to the tables.

 

Voda grabbed Daniel, "come." There was now in her manner something kindred.

 

For dinner, Daniel was invited to sit at the table with Kurt, his brother, Sevgili, Voda and Mir. Questions were delicately placed to learn more about Daniel. She didn't hold back in her answers, though she was discrete. She was from Richmond, Virginia. She had two older sisters. Her parents were retired but not well off. Her sisters were married and had children along with dogs and gerbils and other creatures. One was a nurse, the other a forensic scientist. 

 

She had no idea where all her ancestors were from, but she was aware of British, Native American and African lines. They suspected others but nothing was confirmed. She had traveled to fourteen countries in total over the years. Bağlılık was her fifteenth. She was finishing up her studies at BGU and wanted to do something that would allow her to continue to move about.

 

Daniel enjoyed Sevgili's perspective. It's seemed perfectly natural to him that she should do what brought her joy. He didn't pass judgement but congratulated her on remaining true to her ideals. He asked if she liked Bağlılık, what she had seen so far and what she would like to see. An invitation was extended for her to come back anytime she liked. She graciously accepted but decided not to take it to heart. After dinner, family members played instruments and Sevgili and Mir danced with a serenity Daniel found herself envying. 

 

In the recesses of her mind, something gnawed at her.

 

"Do you play?" Kurt collapsed in the seat next to her.

 

"Instruments? The guitar, a bit of piano and I can fudge my way around a cello." A sound rumbled in her chest, "what was that?" She looked out into the dark.

 

"What?"

 

"It sounded like...um...elephants when they communicate at low decibels."

 

"Don't tell me you worked in a zoo or something." He smirked at her.

 

"Working with animals teaches one quite a bit about humans." She said smugly.

 

"I bet."

 

"Why, little pup, are you always challenging me?" She turned to him. He matched her scrutiny.

 

"Why, great escapist, do you keep defying me?" His brows tilted in confrontation.

 

She hissed, "escapist...that's...that is, where did that come from?"

 

"What I can't figure, is what you're running from." He pressed his nose down with his index finger. There was silence while they stared at each other.

 

"That, is a great look for you." Daniel pinched his nose with force as she got up.

 

"Ow, what the?" He gingerly pet it as she walked away.

 

"Daniel." Voda followed. "Are you leaving us already?"

 

"Yes, I have..."

 

"No, uncle make her stay." Voda called to Sevgili. He came over with an air of genuine concern, yet Daniel felt a definite vibe from him. It was hard for her to shape the gelatinous ideas in her mind. He was all there, but a part of him wasn't. There was a wherewithal repressed by his natural humility. It was all so herd to pinpoint.

 

"Must you leave Daniel?" He penetrated her with his gaze. She looked away.

 

"Yes, I have class tomorrow."

 

He nodded his head in understanding. "Yes, of course. Are you driving home?" A few of the clan started to gather.

 

"She rode a bicycle." Kurt offered much to Daniel's dismay.

 

"Oh, but it is horribly dark in old town after the sun goes down." Mir fidgeted.

 

"I'll be fine, it was well lit coming in. Besides, the exercise will help clear my head." She scratched said appendage with a smile.

 

"Please, send for the car koca." Mir advised.

 

"Really, I'll be fine," Daniel started backing away. She suddenly felt suffocated.

 

Kurt came forward and grabbed her gently by the arm. "I'll walk you down to the gate."

 

"Yes, thank you." She was awash with relief. "And thank you, for generously inviting me to dinner Mir." 

 

The lady stepped forward and took her hand with a smile. "You must come again. Next Sunday, come next Sunday. We will spend the day at the Danube. Do you swim?"

 

"Um, yes." 

 

"Good, it's settled." Voda clapped, "I'll come fetch you."

 

"All settled," was all Daniel could think to say. Then Kurt was leading her away, away from the terrace and the candles and she was waving and he was carrying an oil lamp and guiding her through the darkness. Darkness so thick and heavy she could grab it and mold it like putty. The crickets chirped and the cicadas buzzed and the wind tussled the leaves. Rocks crunched underfoot and off in the distance she could hear water. The earthly resonance shielded her against the darkness. That and the warm grip her guide had on her arm. She stopped abruptly, "Kurt why am I here?"

 

The light cast a murky shadow over the left side of his face. His brow hid his right eye. "What do you mean?" His answer monotone. She could detect nothing. "You were invited to dinner."

 

"No, I mean, why me?"

 

He lifted the oil lamp slightly elongating the shadows concealing his face, "you sure your okay? Maybe I should take you home myself."

 

"No, I can make it home." She went to move and he arrested her arm again and took the lead. 

 

After collecting her bicycle, she had only looked back at the estate once. Kurt's oil lamp floating eerily between the gate bars the only indication of his presence. Still watching. 

 

She had burnt rubber peddling to the homestay. For the feeling became increasingly unshakable that she was being watched. Sweat had beaded and trailed down her temples. She had wiped at it in intervals, but her attention remained focused ahead on the next illumination on the path. Even after she turned off the ring road and even as she weaved her way rapidly through landscape then just an inky void, she felt it. 







Chapter End Notes:

A little taste of intrigue?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.