Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Things get a little sticky.

Thank you for staying until chapter 7. ^^




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Reprimand 7

 

"Bayım Öküz!" A gentleman rushed towards them.

 

"They call you Sir?" Daniel whispered.

 

"It's better than boss," Daniel's brow rose in realization and he winced. Diverting his attention, Kurt shook the gentleman's hand, "Ethan, how are things going?"  

 

"Wonderful! I have notes from the last meeting, would like to review them Bayım?" He looked expectant.

 

"No, I brought my friend, Ms. Winters, here for a tour." He introduced them. Ethan regarded her curiously.

 

"Do you have a guide in mind or should I recommend one?"

 

"I do have one in mind..."

 

"Good."

 

"...me." Kurt escorted her forward with his hand in the middle of her back. Ethan quickly masked his surprised expression and followed. He hailed employees and whispered instructions. Much scurrying took place. They stepped into a dark cylinder shaped room. The wall slid around blocking the entrance and opening an exit. They were transported to another time as they stepped out to the beginning of Bağlılık. A thick line marked the center of the floor. It was ticked at years and certain events.

 

As they meandered down the timeline actors dressed in period clothing interacted with each other and them. She saw how they cultivated the land, engaged in war, survived epidemics, protected the ecosystem, married, migrated and died. She had a front row seat to its political and cultural evolution, it's stand through World War I and II and its legal battles. All of this through Kurt's narration, stories told and preformed, interactive kiosks and displays. It ended in 2015 still struggling to maintain its individuality and preserve its heritage despite neighboring nations and ever changing trends.

 

It wasn't the story of the royal family or the three princes. It didn't deify any one particular person. Preference was not given to the privileged. It was the story of the people and their ideals. It was the story of their love for their land and all those in her. It was the story of loyalty and courage. It wasn't so patriotic as it was personal. It was the human story like Daniel had never seen before and she could comprehend Kurt's pride in Bağlılık.

 

She also saw Kurt in his element for the first time. He had never been so animated, so authoritative, so passionate and so commanding as he was guiding her through the winding timeline of the museum. He had encouraged her to ask question and to challenge the actors. He watched patiently as she interacted with the kiosks and was attentive and informative as she perused the displays.

 

They had entered to the right of the two large staircases leading to the second floor, wound their way around the spacious museum and now exited to the left of the staircases. A tour group was stepping into the cylinder room. After careful deliberation, they decided to have a late lunch and enjoy the old town. Satisfied, Kurt gingerly solicited her hand, first touching her pinky then, upon her acceptance, wrapping his fingers around her whole hand. 

 

Daniel felt giddy as he gazed down on her in admiration.

 

~~

 

She spent the next days busy with classes and projects especially due to her truancy. Classmates had sent her notes and assignments at her request so she wouldn't be behind. Who knew missing one day could be so bothersome. But she was not disturbed. During her next free afternoon, she decided to fill Faza in on her trip to the villa. Peddling through the the forest she felt a low rumble in her chest and slid to a stop, her knit skirt flapping in the breeze. She ran a hand up her arm and over the thin strap of her tank top. Ill at ease she remembered the dinner at Kurt's home. As quickly as it came, it went. She glance around before easing back on the seat and moving on.

 

Outside The Human Story she left her bike and entered with a familiar jingle. Faza wasn't the one to greet her however. A studious looking woman in her twenties walked around the counter.

 

"Hello and welcome. May I assist you?"

 

"Is Faza here?" Daniel made a sweep of the shop.

 

"Faza?" The woman frowned.

 

"Yes, I'd like to talk to him."

 

"I'm sorry, but Faza..."

 

"Daniel, my dear." His voice boomed from the stairs. "Come, come." He waved her up then disappeared himself.

 

"Why can't he ever wait for me?" Daniel whined and headed up the stairs after him much to the surprise of the shop assistant. She followed his noise to the room they had taken tea in before. He was moving some papers about with his back to her as she entered.

 

"I can't imagine why I didn't know you would come today."

 

"Because I have concealed her presence." A husky voice answered from behind. 

 

Faza spun around to see Daniel's eyes smolder a golden brown. She then floated a few inches from the floor. Burnt sienna tribal makings seeped out on the earthy latte surface of her arms and legs while freckles of the same color dotted her jaw rising up her hairline. Charcoal liner slid around her eyes and her hair became lustrous and full. Her clothes morphed into a shift. Gauzy material capped the curve of her shoulder, plunged to a seductive V between her breasts and fell to her feet. A slit rose to the gap between her thighs. Her feet remained bare.

 

Faza's papers slid from his fingers to litter the floor. Glancing around he moved to the windows and closed the shutters then the door to the room. He then dropped to his knees before her, put his hand together at his forehead and hunched his shoulders.

 

"Raise your head Faza of Dalibor. The pledge of your blood has been remembered. Raise your head and speak."

 

"How can I please you Caninae?" He stayed as he was.

 

"Tell me why my vessel knows nothing of me."

 

"I am unworthy to answer. It is a question better put to the gods."

 

"Raise your head I say. I find no pleasure in your prostrations." She spoke with such force Faza had no choice. She was indeed unhappy.

 

"As you wish Caninae." He moved to stand.

 

"But do not stand before me. I am displeased."

 

"We are all shocked I assure you. May I ask, does the vessel displease you?"

 

"No," Daniel glided to the shuttered windows looking through them to the clueless humans bellow, "she is compassion, curiosity, integrity and honesty. Her mind is independent, intelligent, courageous and observant. She fits the criteria for my vessel. More to the point, she is bound by nothing in this world and her desire is for Yalnız." She focused on Faza once more, "but she is vulnerable."

 

"She has the relic to protect her." Faza offered.

 

"But she does not posses it at all times."

 

"Surely during the day..."

 

"The Dalibor blood has grown weak." Faza responded by lowering his eyes to the floor. "Her presence is known to them. I am not the first to visit her. Buthidae, the two head scorpion appeared. And He calls to her."

 

"How?"

 

"Twice it has occurred, the latter while coming to you just now. This is why her presence was concealed to you."

 

"They wish to destroy the vessel."

 

"Or corrupt it. Initiate her training. If another beast comes forth, I can take over and fight for her, but the damage to the vessel will be substantial. It is better for her to learn to assimilate as quickly as possible."

 

"Yes."

 

"You have been slow. Yalnız appears to waver as well. I have shielded her from remembering our convergence to give you time. Your time has expired."

 

"I will amend the situation I have caused."

 

She crossed to him and her features finally softening, "raise to you feet Faza of Dalibor." She watched him rise, "do not be disheartened by my words. Your service is faithful and steadfast. You maintain the favor of the gods." She lifted her hands above his head and white sparks of light cascaded upon him. He took a deep breath and exhaled a dark vapor. "Good health to you."

 

She absorbed the vapor then settled on the floor. Slowly the markings faded as well as the liner. The clothes morphed back and her eye color deepened.

 

The human Daniel gazed back at him in distress. "Faza?" She slumped into his arms.

 

~~

 

Daniel awoke to the crackling of fire. Her eyelids flexuous fought to contract and remain open. They roamed the murky room as she lay flaccid on her back. The earth itself pressed her into the mattress beneath. Her mind opened to her convergence with Caninae and she whimpered. Remembering the whispers and the familiar presence, she gasped for air.

 

Calm yourself Daniel. You have nothing to fear.

 

She cried out, her back arched from the bed as pain seared her cranium. Light pierced the room as a door flew open and a figure rushed towards her.

 

You must attain tranquility.

 

"Daniel." Kurt pulled her into his arms.

 

"It hurts..."

 

"Yes."

 

"...and I can't move..."

 

"Give yourself some time." He cradled her head under his chin.

 

"...and there's a...a voice."

 

"Breathe with me Daniel." He began to take slow deep breaths and she did her best to keep up with him. They found a rhythm and she began to calm.

 

Excellent Daniel.

 

She tensed.

 

"Don't falter, just, let it flow." She was able to lift her arms around his torso and squeeze.

 

"What's happening to me Kurt?" She muffled in his chest.

 

"Tawny, you'd best leave her to me."

 

"Mother..."

 

"I know my son."

 

As hard as she tried, Daniel could not hold on to him as he reluctantly retreated. She could however, sit up and watch him slowly back away then turn leave. Mir turned on a lamp as he closed the door then stationed herself in front of Daniel and sank to the floor bending both legs to one side. Clasping her hands together she put them to her forehead and bowed her head. Daniel felt it coming this time, the prickly sensation. She breathed through it, yet her mouth opened and another voice proceeded from her throat.

 

"Raise your head Mir, we are of the same skulk."

 

"I am but your kit Caninae."

 

"I am well pleased with you."

 

Daniel's eyes gathered tears as audience to this greeting. How long must she endure this paranormal ventriloquism?

 

Do not let yourself feel helpless. In the end it is you who will control all.

 

"Allow me to assist the vessel," Mir continued unknowingly, "myself and Nana."

 

"Nana, the vessel has grown old, but is still worthy. Lift your head my child." Mir obeyed. "Do as you have spoken." Again there was a prickly sensation and Daniel felt herself again. Mir reached up and gently wiped the water from her eyes.

 

"I am so sorry it had to turn out this way. I know the vexation of being a vessel, but I was more prepared for it than you, my dear." She lifted herself from the floor and the bed sagged as she sat in front of Daniel. "You see," Daniel allowed her to arrange her wayward curls, "you are the first to be chosen who knows nothing about Caninae."

 

"I don't understand."

 

"Yes, well the first thing to do is get you food. You've been asleep for three days. Let me help you up." Daniel, eager to move despite the bazaar situation, leaned on Mir who helped her remove her legs from the bed and stand. With Mir as crutch, she ambled around the room. She was left to bathe and dress on her own.

 

She stood in the spacious bath draped in a towel arms wrapped tight around a body that was no longer hers. Her hair dripped water down her shoulders and neck. The shower had been so hot she radiated a red hue. Finally, her eyes lifted to the mirror in fear of what they would see. It was she. Same eyes. Same nose and lips. Same slim neck, prominent collar bones and square shoulders. Same high cheekbones, slight indention in her chin and mole under her right eye.  

 

But there was something else there.

 

We are not separate, but one.

 

Daniel slowly shut her eyes, then turned away. She shrugged into the undergarments and loose linen dress waiting for her then quietly opened the door to her last sanctuary. The setting was yet another unfamiliar room, the players Faza and Kurt. The audience Mir, Sevgili and Voda.

 

"I should have never invited her to lunch." Kurt glared at Faza defiant.

 

"It was fate."

 

"How could the gods do this? How could they hurl an innocent woman in the midst of our conflict? It is ours and ours alone!" He thrust an angry finger towards the floor. "Is that not what we pledged with our blood?"

 

"It does no use being angry with the gods. It will not loose Caninae and Daniel from each other."

 

"Is there any way to pry us apart?" Everyone turned at Daniel's hollow voice.

 

"Daniel you must be feeling quite confused." Faze started towards her.

 

"And hungry. I'll get you something to eat." Voda stood.

 

She looked around the room, "I do not need your sympathy." Her dull eyes fell on Voda, "I do not desire something to eat," and she shrunk back from Faza, "but most of all I do not want you to touch me!" Her screeched words echoed through the room, raked over its inhabitants and stopped Faza in his tracks. She held his gaze her voice low, "you're a liar. You're all liars." She thrust out her hand. "You all lied to me!"

 

How could they lie about what they did not know?

 

"They knew. At some point, they all knew."

 

Daniel.

 

"Shut up. Get out, get out of me!" She thrashed around beating on her head and pulling her hair. Kurt closed in to calm her hysterics. Before anyone knew what happened, she reared back her open hand and slapped him with so much force his head jerked. They both stared at each other stricken until Daniel couldn't take it anymore and ran away from him. How could she? She had never in her life done such a thing. With tears clouding her vision and embarrassment and regret overwhelming her senses, she slammed into Sevgili. His arms closed around her pinning her to his strong body.

 

"Daniel you are angry and you have every right to be." His voice gentle, his grip unyielding against her struggling. "You will doubt me when I say I understand what you are going through."

 

"Let me go."

 

"But you are only hurting yourself now."

 

"Let..." Her strength began to collapse.

 

"You are shredding your own soul and its bleeding heavily."

 

"...go."

 

"Please Daniel, please let us help you."

 

Such humble gentleness, his heart beat rapidly in his chest. He was disturbed, disturbed for her? She broke down into sobs, wailing sobs. She cried for everything she had lost and everything she would continue to lose in Sevgili's kind arms.







Chapter End Notes:

I wonder if shouldn't have categorized this as alternate universe.

Anyways, what do you think of her reaction? Realistic?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.