Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey Chamber-mates! Another week is here, so here is your update! Enjoy!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“There are rumors of up-risers to East a contingent of rubble rousers that must be squashed. They speak against our King and his fair Queen calling for a revolution. Neighbors and friends let us band together and protect our borders from those who would Myrthza squandered. ” A young lord called out to his fellow statesmen as whispers and nods of agreement spread amongst them.

“Aye, a rash of vandalism and crime has rampaged us to the West as well,” an older man finely garbed and portly called from the other side of the room, “You pansies to the East care for nothing but your trade and finery while we to the West we are fighting for our lives!” The old man finished with a roar turning his pudgy face red with the passion of his message.

“Yes we must care for the trade of finery, my Lord how else would we clothe your massive back!” the younger man quipped, men launched to their feet to shout their defense at one another and chaos ensued amongst the peers. The din created by their voices filled the cavernous hall.

The pain in Edrick’s head that had started that morning as a dull throb that morning grew to a sharp pain between his eyes, reaching to the small table situated beside his seat Edrick picked up the goblet that was rested there and upended it at his mouth. A single drop of the wine, he required for these meetings, fell to his lips. Scuttling feet rushed up beside him and the servant quickly filled his goblet with the amber liquid from his pitcher and feeling less than gracious Edrick threw an angry glare at the servant as he slunk back towards his post holding up the wall as he quickly gobbled down his wine.

Goblet empty and head pain momentarily quelled, Edrick sunk back into his seat and watched the foolery occurring before him for a moment longer. 

“My Lords,” Edrick called out as he got to his feet his hands outstretched, having heard enough of the arguments, making sure he had everyone’s attention before he continued, “We have been to the North, East and West of great city and all now fly under the colors of Myrthza what do we have to fear of these miscreants? ” Edrick cried out, the loud roar that responded to his call reverberated through the hall. Taking in the view of the room and the members of the high court that filled it as they sprawled out before him from his seat at the head of the hall.

He had accomplished what he had set out to do more than forty years ago as an ambitious young man stepping up to the throne. He had no inclinations of playing the master politician that the advisors left over from the previous King’s reign, the old fools Edrick had staked his life on greatness and he would settle for nothing less than he had bartered for but they knew nothing of his assurances and they had doubted him then. His plan had been meet with resistance it was radical they said; waging war on the nations that surrounding them during the hundreds years’ peace but what did they know, true peace would only come through blood and fire only when weak learn to submit to those with power.

It was his desire for that power that brought him to here to this point, the ruler of the greatest nation in the land. Unmitigated pride followed through his body as he reclaimed his seat thinking over all that he had accomplished all that he stood to gain even now with all the land as far as his eye could see under his control, desire kept pushing him for more and he knew just where to look for his more.

Soft footsteps stopped along the side his royal seat the intruder to his thoughts cleared his throat before leaning in to speak near Edrick’s ear.

 “Your majesty,” his manservant spoke.

“What is it Valcant?” Edrick asked half-heartedly his eyes still on the crowd and his mind on thoughts of more fulfilling possibilities.

“You wanted to be informed of the young master’s movements.”

“Yes,” Edrick turned earnestly at the man’s words, “What do you know?”

“It as reached me that the young prince and a few of the elite guard have left the city.”

“Left the city has he? What of his whereabouts before?”

“Prince Phalan spent a great deal of time with your Queen, majesty before leaving with his men.”

“She must have sent him on some sort of hunt then.” Edrick spoke more to himself than to the servant.

“The same conclusion I have drawn as well, my Lord.”

“Do not dare be presumptuous Valcant, I am sure you did not come to the very same conclusion as I.” Edrick haughtily snapped.

“Forgive me, your Highness.” Valcant solemnly replied, performing a small bow in repentance. Edrick looked on as he completed his bow with a smug grin.

“When did the party leave?”

“My Lord,” Valcant hesitated, he knew that up to this point the conversation had gone well and was reluctant to share this particular tidbit. Shoring up his courage Valcant continued, “Phalan and his men have been gone for four full days this evening, my Lord.”

“What?” Edrick shouted fully turning his burning gaze unto the cowering man. Valcant stood frozen under his scrutiny before allowing his eyes to rove the rest of the room where he saw that they had drawn a great deal of attention from the rest of the room. The room was suddenly silent with Edrick’s loud outburst, the occupants eyes trained on them. Valcant cleared his throat again loudly and darting his eyes from Edrick to the room at large in attempt to signal to the reagent that they were being watched.

Edrick noted the strange dance of Valcant’s eyes and followed his gaze towards the others.

The room was at a complete stand still, once a bustling crowd now all were turned towards the King and servant their curiosity peeked. Edrick turned back in his chair to face the crowd staring out into the room willing its occupants to look away and resume their musings. It took a few moments but eventually they did and their chatter once again filled the room, although a few watchful eyes remained glued in his direction but safe enough by his estimation to continue the conversation.

“Why am I only hearing about this now?” Edrick spat speaking out if the side of his mouth.

“You did not wish to be disturbed whilst you were—entertaining, my Lord.”

Yes, those few nights locked away with the gypsy women had been very entertaining indeed. A man needed his outlets especially a man in his position. A slight smile graced his faced before he quickly pushed his lustful memories aside and addressed the servant once again.

“Is there anything else to report?”

“No my Lord, there is nothing else.”

Edrick stood suddenly and once again the room became silent, they too took to their feet in his honor. Turning briefly to the servant again as he descended from the platform on which his seat was stationed.

“The Queen?” he asked taking each step in a regal manner.

“As always she keeps to the southern tower.” Valcant spoke walking along side Edrick as they quitted the room into the corridor beyond.

“Good.”

“Do you mean to ask her, my Lord?” Valcant asked his bewilderment at the thought of Queen Alyssa answering any questions that the King put forth to her apparent in his tone. Edrick turned back to the servant.  

“I find I have great number if things to take up with the Queen.” With those few words took his leave of Valcant and strode out into the bright light of the plaza. Valcant stood in silence watching as Edrick made his way through the plaza and out of his sight.

 

 

In the highest room of the tallest tower at the southernmost point of the palace Edrick came to the massive oak and iron door that proceeded Alyssa’s chambers. It was covered with swirls and abstract shapes in an intricate design that from a distance resembled the starry sky and all it’s celestial beings. Up close, the mural revealed something much more cryptic, symbols and figures that he in his youth had attempted to decipher forged underneath and there were times, in just the right light, he could have sworn the images were alive and moving. He had convinced himself that it was just that, a trick of the light, but the he had never truly been able to quell that fear—that unknown.

 Sentries stood to the sides of the door guarding their mistress’s domicile, neither man attempted made eye contact with him so unmoved they were by his presence. Silence stretched between the trio. Irritation welled within Edrick deferment, as the King, was his right and he had learned to expect it wherever he ventured but here in this place staring at the closed door he was only what he had been born as.

“I have come to see your mistress.” Edrick spoke steadily watching the guards as they spared one another a quick glance and then moved as one towards the seam that ran the length of the massive entryway catching some hidden mechanism within the ornate surface releasing the doors. The heavy doors swept out towards Edrick and shiver ran along his spine as reached its fully opened position the sentries positioned to quickly close them once he crossed the threshold.

Shoring up his nerve Edrick stepped through the doorway and down the corridor that led beyond it. His fine leather boots sounded dull on the marble floors, his breath harsh to his own ears as torch light flickered around him.

Finally reaching the end of the corridor where it took a bend to the left, straight to Alyssa’s private quarters, Edrick drew himself up to his full height with his head thrown back and his heart racing he forcefully push the last door that stood between him and Alyssa and came just as quickly to a complete and sudden stop.

It was not that he had never seen her in this state of undress before, Alyssa was a beautiful woman and she knew it and often used her countenance as a useful tool and a deadly weapon to those who were unsuspecting of what lay beneath the fine figure and gorgeous face. What stopped him was the jagged scar that started from between her shoulders and journeyed across to her femininely curved hips, that she exposed as she stepped out of her bath. Edrick had never seen it before even with his familiarity with her body but the faded edges and the overall dull color of the scar, as so far as he could see from the doorway, suggested it was a wound from long ago—so long ago that it had become part of the very fabric of her skin. But that too was impossible, it had only been a few days before that she had taunted him with her body.

Edrick’s mind began to race with the implications of this new finding along with the information his late night visitor had provided and stored that too away at the back of his mind for further scrutiny and focused again on Alyssa as she drew up a coverlet over her slim shoulders and turned towards him with an innocent smile upon her face and her robe closed loosely about her.

“So you have come.” She spoke.

Edrick sank to his knees reverently and bowed before Alyssa his head nearly touching the marbled floor and before sinking onto his haunches his eyes turned upward towards her face. “Yes, my Lady I have come.”






Chapter End Notes:

Hope you enjoyed this update! Please comment, ask questions etc. I would love to hear more from you guys! 

Until Next Week!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.