Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey Chamber-mates! here is a new chapter for you to read!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The merchant had dropped the small party off at the entrance into the town and turned off the road as he made his way home.  Damisk was loud and hot. The mid day heat intensified by the mass bodies pressed together on the crowded street. Their progress towards the town center, and subsequently the inn, was slow. Even with Kalo’s advantage of height it was hard to see what was causing the hold up, from what he could tell there seemed be a meeting in the square.

  Kalo managed to squeeze through the crowd to gain a closer look, keeping close to the edges of the crowd, Kalo propped himself up against a nearby building. As he perused the crowd Kalo noticed the armed men across the plaza they stood watching the event as it unfolded. The sight of the men struck him as unusual; certainly they don’t need armed guards for a speaker? The side arms they carried a warning to all those around that they would ensure the peace of the town. For now they too waited to see what would happen.

If nothing else this should prove interesting.

 A single old man stood before the crowd elevated by a small stage dressed in drab grey robes that should there ware and tear in his hand he held a long wooden staff. The old man raised his arms grandly over his head, the murmuring voices silenced by his call for attention.

“I am one of the Brothers Findard, a true disciple of great Izeha. Long have we watched and waited. The signs of the times are before us! Many of you here have seen the effects for yourselves and the truth will no longer be denied. The time has come my friends for the evil presiding over these lands to be eradicated.”

The silence in the square was deafening at the priest’s words and like a slow ripple they begun to speak to their neighbors in shock and alarm.

One voice rang out over the din “Why should believe anything you say priest?”

The priest directed his words towards the man, “You have all heard of the armies marching across our lands, both fierce and quest, destroying all that lay in their path. They speak of magical flames that no water or earth can extinguish. These events have been foretold! Too long have you forgotten the old ways and the greatness of Izeha.”

 A great crack of lightening flash, the sky grew suddenly darker followed by the booming of thunder. Cries raised in fear in the square the priest unfazed by the happenings continued his speech, “Do not look to the look to your false King and his cursed Queen for salvation—“  His words were cut short as the bodies of the guards slammed into him dragging him off from the stage. As he struggled against their combined strength, his final pleas were screamed at the tops of his lungs before being stifled by the guards.

“Beware of the false King and Cursed Queen!... Rise again Katjiya…. Save us all Izeha--”

For an old feeble man the priest put up quite a fight against the armed guards, it took four of them and the advantageous use of what looked an electro-shock gun to subdue him. The fifth guard, the senior of the small troop- distinguished by his more elaborate dress, stood watching from a distance atop the stage as his men dragged the old man down a dark alleyway off of the square.    

The crowd buzzed in horror as they watched the priest being dragged away. The final guard turned towards the crowd slowly, his regard stony his movements crisp and exact. Kalo turned his gaze over the crowd wanting to see what the guard saw from atop the stage. There was an energy different from when he had arrived- a mild curiosity to what would happen, it seemed to pulse through the crowd its vitality raised the small hairs on the back of his neck.  The guard must have felt the same thing as he raised his hand over the back of his own neck his eyes meeting Kalo’s at the edge of the crowd. Kalo held the guard’s unwavering gaze until the guard turned away from him discarding his presence as insignificant. The crowd grew restless; their voices raised in volume and movements more aggressive as they discussed the priest’s words and the actions of the guards.

The suddenly darkened sky begun to lighten, the sound of the thunder receded into the distance as the sun shone down on the town. It was then that Kalo understood the energy they radiated and although the Priest’s message had been cut short something else had been accomplished by his words; doubt and discourse radiated around him. The seeds of chaos had been planted.

“There is nothing more to see here, care not for this mad man’s words for they are false. Your King and Queen appreciates your loyalty. Long live King Edrick and Queen Alisa!”

“Long live King Edrick and Queen Alisa” the crowd responded to the guard’s words.

“Go now in comfort that your monarchy supports your happiness and prosperity, go now and return to your lives.”

Kalo glanced around as the crowd began to turn away from the stage and filter out of the square.

“Why are you just standing there Kalo? I thought we were going to an inn-- did you see the sky just now? I have never seen anything like have you Kalo? I did not understand what that old man was talking about but did see when the guards attacked him? They just swooped in and dropped him onto the ground. A man back there nearly trod on Lycia’s tail so I picked her up and been carrying her since, I think she likes it when you hold her, you can hear her purring. Are we going to the inn Kalo?”

 Kit’s joyful tone and constant stream of conversation pulled Kalo out of his musings on the unexpected event. He looked down on the boy holding the feline in his scrawny arms. Lycia met Kalo’s eyes for a moment as Kit continued to chatter on. The feline’s eyes conveyed a similar assessing gaze on its surroundings. Thoughts of what had happened at the river earlier in the day and here in the town seemed to independently odd to be unconnected, but did they mean? What of this false Queen that the priest referred to? Who was Katjiya and what of the visions?

“Something is brewing.” Kalo murmured aloud his thoughts rolling in his mind as he tried to make connections between everything he knew.

“Brewing? What is brewing?” Kit sniffed the air mistaking Kalo’s meaning.

“I smell meat!” he yelled excitedly running off towards the origin of the smell. Realizing that Kalo had not made a move to follow, kit turned back sharply and called towards Kalo,

 “Come on Kalo, there is meat this way. Hurry!”

Kalo chuckled to himself as he eased his massive body off the wall watching as Kit turned his back and ran off down the street.  Kalo followed at a more leisurely pace one thing was clear to him as he followed Kit; it was time for Kalo to start doing some digging on his own. As buzz of excitement traveled down his spine at the thought the answers he had been searching for would finally be answered but with the recent events there were also a slew of new questions to ask as well.

 

By the time they had found the stall where the roasting meat was being sold and Kit had eaten enough to satisfy his prodigious appetite, it was already dark outside. The town’s inn, The Feather Grove, would be enough for them to rest for the night or tow at the most.

“Make sure the feline stays out of sight, Kit.”

“Are you going somewhere? Can I go with you?”

“Where I am going is no place for children.”

“I am not a child!” Kit cried out in outrage, his voice cracking in the middle.

“I am going to try and do some investigations of my own you will only get in the way.”

“You know I would never get in the way, I’m small and people don’t pay much mind to me at all. I hear all kind of things.”  A suspicious look settled onto the young boy’s face. Kalo stepped out for the inn after getting Kit and the feline settled into the cozy room for the night.   

“Tell the truth, you just want to drink and flirt with the women.” Kit accused with a suspicious gaze.

“All the more reason why you, Kit, cannot come.” Kalo responded as he made his way out of the door. Kit could hear his deep laughter as he made his way down the empty hallway of the inn. Kit listened to his heavy footsteps on the stairs and watched from the window as he made his way like a shadow down the dark street.

“No fair. Why should we always be left behind?”

Lycia perched next to Kit at the window staring up at the boy and began to purr at his words.

“I couldn’t agree more Lycia. We will just give him a bit of head start, wouldn’t want to get caught before we could even begin.” Kit turned away from the window gathering his coat and shoes, pausing for a moment to don the apparel and to form some of the blankets to resemble a body on the bed. Lycia watched his movements around the room from her spot next to the door were she waited for the boy to finish. With a final extinguishing of the gas lamps in the room Kit was ready to go. He slowly opened the door to peer out before he and Lycia slipped out of the door into the empty corridor.

 

In the years since he had left the Guards Kalo quickly learned that the best places to find information were in the places one could easily slip into the environment, were people were most relaxed and loose with their secrets where a stranger could easily become a comrade or a woman’s one night love.

The Whistling Pig, was not unlike any other tavern it’s well worn in floors made sticky by ale spills and the occasional dousing of one bodily fluid or another. The low ceiling room was cozy and filled with locals Kalo recognized some of the faces from the square earlier in the day as he slipped into the room unnoticed.

Kalo made his way over to the counter manned by an older gentleman; Kalo noticed his pegged leg as the man limped behind the counter filling drink orders. When the old man noticed Kalo near the end of the bar top a startled look flashed across his face as his gaze ran over his intimidating figure. Kalo settled into a seat at the end of the bar top where he could take in all of the occupants in the tavern.  

“Welcome to the Whistling Pig, young sir. Name is Jeffers, what can I get for you this fine evening?”

“A Pint.” Kalo responded. Jeffers turned quickly and shuffled over to the barrel taps and returned with the drink, its froth dripping over the rim of the glass as he placed it in front of Kalo.

“Here you go, That there be the finest ale this side of the plains.”

Kalo lifted the cool glass to his lips and took a big gulp of the ale before returning the glass to the scarred wooden bar top, as he scanned the crowded tavern. Many of the faces he espied some laughing others watching the crowd as he did.

Jeffers stood before Kalo with an expectant look, seeming to be waiting for his reaction.

“You are right this is the best ale I have had.” Kalo commented.

“Did I not tell you? The customers do not come night after night only for my good looks.” Jeffers smiled broadly, as he spoke, exposing the scattering of teeth remaining in his mouth, stained and misshapen.

Kalo returned his attention to the room, hoping that now the man would be satisfied with Kalo’s response and leave him in peace to formulate a plan to get whatever information he could here.

 A group of rowdy women entered the tavern, their heavy make-up and revealing clothing announcing to all the nature of their business in the tavern. The women made their way deeper into the tavern making faces and throwing their overt lure towards the men at the various tables.

Kalo was overwhelmed by the thick cloud of perfume that followed the women as they passed him at the end of the bar top. The scents seemed to entice the other men as much as it disgusted Kalo; he took another gulp of his ale.    

  Jeffers leaned over the bar top his glance focused over Kalo’s shoulder, “Although the company of a willing woman would be incentive enough for most men.”

Kalo felt an intense regard upon his person. He turned in search of its source and met the cool eyes of one of the heavily perfumed women. She was seated facing Kalo, her gaze was hungry he could feel its progress as it slowly crept up his body. She had a determined look on her face when their gazes finally met and Kalo knew, instinctively, that before too long she would be making her way over to him, staking her claim and letting all others know that she was his. Kalo knew it was only a matter of time and it was not conceit that made him so sure, it was the hunger he had seen in her eyes that was the desperation of the woman of that ilk. Who were looking for a big pay off or a protector and Kalo would play along with the innuendos and flirtation for as long as it took to get the information that he wanted. He was never interested in more than that.     

 His eyes fell onto a table near the door where a few men gathered speaking in hushed tones their heads bent close together as he felt a light tap on his shoulder.

“Looking for some company tonight stranger?”

Her voice was raspy with seduction as she whispered into Kalo’s ear as she trailed her long finger down his shoulder and across to his chest. His eyes followed the pale thin finger’s progress as it traced the lines of his worn-in great coat, before lifting his eyes to the owner’s face.

The woman wore her dark hair piled atop her head, as was the fashion, with a few limp curls caressing her pale cheeks and the nape of her neck beckoning a man’s hand to reach out and touch that same neck. Red swollen lips stretched into a sly smile exposing a gap in her teeth made by a few missing teeth, probably knocked out by a disgruntled customer. What little life there remained in her golden eyes was easily dimmed by the pain and suffering etched into its depths. She couldn’t have been that much older than he was, old enough to be home with a hoard of children under foot but like Kalo, it didn’t seem that her life had turned out any more expected than his had. Kalo continued to watch the woman perched against his shoulder.   

“I was just thinking that very thing. How bout I buy you a drink and you can keep me company tonight?”

“Why’d you think I came over here in the first place?” 

Without even a glance over his shoulder towards the bar his eyes glued to hers, Kalo called out, “Jeffers, another ale for my pretty companion.”

They stood, their eyes held undisturbed until the Jeffers placed the drink on the tabletop.

“Here you go Lily, your regular, nice and cold; just the way that you like it.”

Lily turned away from Kalo’s penetrating gaze to address the bar keep. “Thank ya Jeff, you always know just how I like it.” Her laugh was a raspy jangling of air, all rust and wary from a life hard lived, no twinkling bells for this woman, the struggle of each day apparent in all of her features.

Kalo reached into his pocket and withdrew a few gold coins and tossed them onto the bar top and waited as Jeffers happily swooped up the money and hobbled back along the bar to the others in want of a drink before reaching out his hand to gently caress her bare arm.

Jolted by the touch of his callused hand on her arm, Lily slowly returned her attention to Kalo, with a seductive tilt to her smile now that his interest obvious to her. She took another gulp her drink, downing most of the glass’s contents before returning it to the tabletop.

“I was wondering if you might be able to help me with something Lily.”

The pungent smell of liquor -- Kalo decided; not ale-- laced her breath as she leaned into him. The weight of the hand that she placed on his knee and soft circular motion of her hand and its slow progress up his leg threatened to distract Kalo from his purpose.

“Need my help do you? What is in it for me?” she husked out, as she pressed her ample cleavage into Kalo’s chest and her small hand eagerly grasping him.

Kalo couldn’t help the low chuckle that spilled from him as he looked down at the woman and reached his free arm into his pocket again withdrawing his coin purse to dangle before her downturned face. He held the bag there between their tightly pressed bodies drawing her attention back to his face.

“Don’t you worry, you will be compensated.”

Her voice lacked its flirtatious lilt as she sifted back towards the ledge of the bar and onto her a nearby stool. “What is it that you want to know?”

“The Priest, from the square this morning. Where did they take him?”  

 

§                      §                      §

           

Kit hadn’t meant to be so far behind Kalo once he had left the inn. The lower level had been bustling with the guests and maids moving about, and since Lycia wasn’t allowed in the establishment it had taken extra time for the feline to be believably concealed within his clothes. By the time he and the feline had made safely out on to the streets any sign of Kalo’s movements where long gone.

“Where to now to do you think?” Kit asked aloud as he glanced down the street. To the left he knew was where the market lay and beyond that the town square and the road they had used to enter the town that morning. On the right, the streets were narrowed and little light escaped the windows of the few buildings that occupied it. A small shiver ran down Kit’s back as he stood looking down the street a feeling of dread settling upon his young shoulders.

He is more the likely to have gone to the right hadn’t he? Seems the likely option. But that way is just so… to the left it is!

Kit moved to take a step off of the threshold where he had been standing pondering his next move when Lycia let out a low mew and began to wiggle and paw under his shirt.

“Hold on a moment. Let me just- stop scratching me—that hurts!”

Lycia squirmed and scratched her way from under Kit’s clothes; struggling against even Kit’s attempts to free her until she stood before him on the night darkened street. He was winded from the struggle with the feline.

“I suppose you have a few ideas as to what we should do next then?” Kit asked peering down at the feline staring at him from at his feet. With a lift of her long slender tail, and a slight roll of her amethyst eyes Lycia padded off towards the right; her outline vanishing into the shadows of the street as she stalked away from him.

Of course you would want to go to the right, Kit thought to himself taking a deep breath of the cold night air.

Kit peered down the street to the left, wishing beyond all hope that they were walking in the direction of the lights and sounds and sights of both hearth and home. Thoughts of turning back and doubts to the wisdom of his decision to chase after Kalo raced through his mind as he turned to follow the feline, when he noticed the fog settling over the street.

The disembodied cry of the feline jerked Kit’s attention from the eerie street, back to his purpose, and the pair of glowing eyes watching him from in the distance. The eyes watched him enticing him to journey down the street but Kit remained as he was standing before the side entrance of The Whistling Pig, bracing his prepubescent chest against the chill of the night and the damp of the foggy air.

The feline cried out to Kit again.

“Alright, alright I heard you the first time. I’m coming.” Kit grumbled as he walked out of the well-lit shelter of the inn towards were the feline led.

Lycia led Kit down the dark roadways; occasionally she stopped to turn back to the young boy to ensure he followed and that is how they progressed until they reached the small tavern lit up as a beacon of life on the otherwise deserted road.

Kit watched the tavern crouched behind a garbage pile across the street from the building. He retreated further into the shadows as a group of barely dressed and heavily perfumed women stumbled by his hiding place. Their revelry pierced the silent night air. Kit tracked their movements across the narrow road and to the door of the tavern.

 Even from the distance of his hiding place the strong smell of ale and raucous voices spilled out onto the street when the women entered the tavern.

Kalo was there.

Kit had never been more certain of anything in his young life. This had to be the place, it all the makings of the kind of seedy tavern Kalo had always told him about; cheap liquor, lively music and even looser women.

A quick look passed between the feline and the young boy confirmed his suspicions that they had reached their destination. Stealthily, Lycia turned away from the garbage pile and slinked across the road and around the side of the tavern; Kit following closely on her heels.

They finally settled below a small grimy window, at the back of the tavern. Kit’s wiry youthful frame was a perfect fit in the tight crevice in which the window was perched.

Kit peered into the tavern through the grime and dirt of the small window. In the dim light that escaped he barely made out the tables spread across the floor and the men and women drinking and laughing together upon them. From the corner of the windowpane Kit made out Kalo’s dark and intimidating form perched near the bar.

A sudden gust of biting wind raced up the loose hem of his shirt sending shivers through his body. The mist that had been moving into the town when Kit first set out on this adventure from the inn, seeped into Kit’s bones chilling him to his very core.

Kit tucked himself further into the tiny alcove by the tiny window, wrapping his arms around his chest to better brace himself against the late night’s chill. While the feline, in a smooth coordination of muscle, jumped onto the window’s sill. She settled her long body along the wooden edge with her face towards the direction where Kit had spotted Kalo.

They made themselves as comfortable as was possible considering; the harsh elements, the lateness of the hour and the ripe smell of refuse that littered the alley. The scent of it rode on the gusts of wind that whipped outside of their shelter to curl up into their noses. Being a sleuth was never easy, wither for truth seeking or a mere curiosity, they were determined if nothing else.

And so there they were; a feline and a young boy crouched in a small widow in a tight alcove hidden in a foul alley behind a seedy tavern, waiting for their prey to make some move. Their senses focused and hyperaware to the sounds and movements of the alleyway and interior of The Whistling Pig.






Chapter End Notes:

As always, thanks for reading and if you feel so moved, please comment! Until next week!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.