Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey Chamber-Mates! It's another week and so here is another chapter for you! I hope you Enjoy!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The Great Hall of Karn, nestled deep within the heart of the Citadel, glistened in the sunlight that poured through the massive glass panes and bustled with the coming and goings of servants and court sycophants, seeking favor with the king, during the day. By evening’s light, thousands of candles cast their flames upon the marble floors that merely exaggerated the shadows of the columns that they sought to illuminate. It was the realm of Kings, betrayers and murders alike.

It was in those very shadows that Edrick feared what awaited him. In the stillness of the night with no musicians playing and without the small army of servants awaiting his next word that he begun to feel his glass like existance creep upon him. The truth could not be avoided despite his faithful manservant reassurances, The Great Conqueror, was only flesh and bone a mere man who was becoming too old, his usefulness and dominance over the vast lands fading with the passing years. Rumors had already begun to spread amongst the people that the peaceful times had begun to soften the once victorious warrior into an ever-expanding courtier. There was no solace to be found even for the King. Already, his most powerful support, Alissa was beginning to stir. The changes he had seen in his chambers continued to weigh heavily on his mind.

For four decades she had remained quiet in her tower, lending him the power he needed to conquer Myrthza’s enemies and unite a nation under his rule. He had become a living God among men and they bowed willingly to his will.

Shuffling footsteps echoed through the hall, halting Edrick’s thoughts and returning him to the hall where he sat upon his gilded throne amongst the night shadows, as he watched the man approach him.

“My Lord, I have not been able to locate the Prince.”  The servant spoke, executing a neat bow before the dais.

“Where has he gone?” Edrick spoke, his words slow and deliberate.

“Forgive me, my Lord.” He rushed out hearing the ire dripping from Edrick’s voice as he fell into a deeper bow before his sovereign.

“I do not wish to forgive your failure. You were to bring Phalan to me!” he sneered.

“My Lord, the Prince has not been seen these last two days, not since he visited the Southern Tower.” 

“Why was I not told before?”

“My Lord, I had not discovered it until this very day.”

The reports of frequent and strange movements within, the Southern Tower, had reached Edrick long before he had gone to see her and now Phalan’s sudden disappearance after seeing the witch did nothing to settle his mind. What has she bid you do, Phalan? What exactly was Alysa planning? There were still too many unanswered questions to make any certain moves, for now he needed information.

“What of his personal guards, where are they?”

“They could not be found either, my Lord. It seems they have all gone with him.”

“Make ready my horse man. I will ride to meet the troops.”  Edrick spoke, dismissing the man with a wave his mind turning with implications.

“Yes, my Lord” the man spoke quietly retreating the way he had entered, his steps echoing throughout the cavernous room and silenced with the final thud of the door.

Edrick sat in the silence that remained.

 

Badbah watched from her shadowed perch high amongst the rafters, as the servant scuttled out of the room. Amusement that she found at the human King’s ponderings riffled beneath her sleek black feathers and excited her blood into action. It was time to execute the next stage of her plans. Angling her pointy head towards the seated King, Badbah stretched her wings and glided soundlessly to perch upon his shoulder.

Edrick jumped in his seat suddenly full aware of his surroundings at the sharp prick of the large bird’s talon into his shoulder.

“Get away with you fowl beast” Edrick commanded trying to brush the creature away only for the bird to take flight once again with a piercing caw that echoed throughout the room before landing once more before his feet taking the appearance of a haggard old woman cloaked in garb as dark as night.

Edrick tried to hide, unsuccessfully, his shock at the bird’s transformation. Even after the many years he had spent in the company of Alyssa, and her mystical requirements and dealings had not made him comfortable to such things. At heart, he was a man of the earth only believing and trusting in the things that he could physically touch, see and taste, much as he had been as a young vagabond roaming the countryside where only his wits and nerves had saved him from the executioner’s blade. He silently vowed to become better accustomed to the inexplicable happening or at least make a better show of his unaffectedness. He was a King and would not allow himself to be cowed before these unnatural creatures and then he would admit if only to his  self, that they still managed to surprise him. Another thing that he had learned was that it was best to always maintain the upper hand.

“What manner of creature might you be?” Edrick commanded, trying to convey a strength and indifference he did not feel into his voice as he looked upon the old woman as her eyes glittered gaily in the low light. “Insolent creature, do you not bow before the King?”

“I could, if that is what you should wish of me,” She spoke softly executing a small bow of her head, “I am called Badbah and I would wish to speak to you, my Lord.”

“Badbah?” Edrick thought aloud, “The crow? I have heard of you. I thought you nothing but a myth but a fool I was to imagine you could not exist. Your treacherous nature precedes you crow, and I have no wish to hear your callous droppings.” He said with finality rising from his seat to quit the room and the woman’s presence.

“Yes, some might call you fool for thinking that I was not of this world but more than you would be a fool for not hearing what I have come to say, my lord. I believe you will wish to hear this,” Badbah spoke, her voice clear and fierce stopping Edrick where he stood.

A great and heavy silence fell between the pair as their gazes held in a battle of wills and supremacy.

Curiosity, not defeat, settled Edrick back into his seat. With a lazy wave of his hand Edrick signaled for the bedraggled woman to continue in her purpose. The slight uplifting of the woman’s mouth did nothing to improve upon her appearance in the dim light but let Edrick know that she recognized the true nature of his gesture.  

“You a mere mortal may not be truly aware of this but there is a war going on, my Lord. One that will affect all of us both mortal and supposed myths together and the time has come for you too must choose whom you will side with.” Badbah paused allowing her words to seep in, “What I have come to give you is non other than that very choice and if you should choose correctly you might be able to get all that you so desperately desire.”

“And what is it that you know of my desires?” Edrick asked his temper flaring at the crow’s presumptuousness.

“You are not so mysterious, my Lord. Men want nothing if not power even to the end of their very existence.”

“And what would you have from me in exchange, crow?”

“You have nothing that I seek to claim, I am but a servant and merely wish to help, in any way that I can.” Badbah replied sweetly bowing her cloaked body reverently. 

“A servant, are you? But whom do you call master?” Edrick’s question was met with another of the old woman’s enigmatic smiles that led to nothing but a crawling feeling along the King’s backbone and more questions in his mind. Coming to some conclusion to learn all that he could from the notorious trickster Edrick continued, “You are most gracious Badbah in your offer of assistance. What if I should choose wrongly?”

“Then you will fall all with the rest.” Badbah spoke with certainty.

“What would you have of me?” Edrick asked his interest peeked by her words.

“First, I would tell you a tale.”

“A tale? For one who has disturbed my solitude, you already begin to try my patience old woman.”

“We must first begin with the tale, I trust at the end of it you will know what must be done. It is the tale about the beginning of all things.”






Chapter End Notes:

Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading. What do you guys think so far? I would love to hear from you!

Until next week!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.