Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The sun was high in the sky when, Kit bounded into the truck bed to shake Kalo from his slumber.

            “Kalo wake up. We are here, we are here” his voice full of the kind of energy that should have been outlawed in the early morning hours.

            “Wake up!”

            “No more your voice would disturb even the dead, I am awake.”

            Kalo opened his eyes slowly as Kit jumped off the back of the truck happy in accomplishing his goal of waking him. The land before him was lush and green the sunlight dimpled through the leaves of the tree under which the truck had been parked.

            “Ah, you are awake young master.” The merchant, who had picked up the small party the night before on the road, spoke happily as he approached the truck his bare arms rippling with muscles formed in hard labor.  

“We have not yet reached Damisk but there is a small river just down the hill from here. I thought it would be good to stop and rest a moment before going into the town. I’m sure you could use the chance to clean your self up a bit before we get in.”  

Kalo could use some time in the river, he was certain he was beginning to smell himself.

“Thank you, sir.”

The merchant smile brightened “Never mind all that get on with you” waving Kalo off. 

He arose from the truck bed his muscles sore from sleep on the wooden slats; he stretched to its full height his arms raised over his head. The merchant looked up at Kalo his eyes full of wonder and his lower jaw slack in shock.

Kalo was unfazed by the merchant’s reaction to him like so many others he was amazed by Kalo’s well above six foot and densely muscled frame. His time with the Guard had taught Kalo how to disguise his unusual height and to blend in if he chose. They had taught him to be a killer both silent and quick. By the time his prey noticed his size and speed it was already too late; the cold rush of steel against warm skin followed by the thump of their body as it hit the ground, was how it normally ended.

It had been three years since he left the Guard and all that it had meant to him. Three years since he turned his back on the desecrated village; combing the valley and surrounding town for any hint or whisper as to what had happened there, for Camisa.   

What he had found during his travels in the beginning had caused his gut to boil. Many of the surrounding areas had been attacked as Broughton had; burned to the ground, the land black from the fires and not a survivor in sight.  It was a massacre.

A new breed of enemy lived in the land of Myrthza. While Kalo and his compatriots fought in the distant lands; forces had been released on their own people and imposed a new order over the lands.

Those who had survived, the rampaging forces, spoke only of deathly shadows with the strength of ten men and fires hotter than the sun that no water could extinguish. Kalo had not been able to fathom why the King would allow this to happen and had journeyed into The Citadel to plea for help and aide. Only to be turned away at the door his concerns one of many among those left without home or hearth littered in the streets of the gleaming city.

It was then that Kalo made the decision to not return the Guard. His mind could not reconcile fighting for the country that would victimize its own people. His defection had not been taking lightly, the commanding officer had looked at his him as if he were less than human; a traitor. His body still bore the scars of the beating that ordered on him and dealt out by his brothers in arms. Kalo left the camp where they stationed with a broken body but a determined mind.

 

Kalo joined Kit and the feline down on the rocky shore of the river. Bright morning sunlight danced across the surface of the moving water as a cool breeze moved through the trees that lined the bank. Kalo breathed in the morning air as he took in his surroundings always watching for possible dangers lurking in the shadows. He could hear the gentle footsteps of the doe scurrying through the trees just upwind of where they were and the woman on the opposite shore humming as she set about doing her washing. Kalo listened for a moment longer.

 Confident that the there was no immediate danger, Kalo settled beneath one the trees to undress. The feline, who always seemed to be lurking nearby when it was least expected, had found a patch of sun under a nearby tree to stretch out in. Its fur glittering under the rays like the scales of a fish would; gave Kalo pause. Even with his limited experience with felines, as they were rare creatures to encounter, he was certain that this one was odder than the rest. For the most part it was a docile even tempered creature taking in movements around it calmly but stretched as it was now, Kalo could see how very large the animal was. It was more the size of a canine rather than a feline but like Kalo it too was adept at hiding its true capacity.

Feeling his intense scrutiny the feline turned its head towards Kalo. Its amethyst bright and aware stared into Kalo’s gaze. The air separating the two dissolved the moment their eyes connected and image of a dark haired woman with her back to him rushed his mind. The woman was dressed in a heavy breast plate and torn billowing pants. Her long rave locks where bound into a tail behind her head, the figure began to turn towards him. Her moonlight skin and beautiful face marred by scratches, her amethyst eyes fierce. Suddenly the image changed to a dark room too dark for Kalo to see anything but he could hear the dripping of water in the distance, he could feel a presence in the room. Kalo tried to delve further into the image, focusing his mind to reveal what secrets the room held.

I know you.

The husky voice surprised Kalo as it rang through his mind.

Who are you?

A blinding light flashed and a woman’s scream shattered Kalo’s focus on the image.

“Kalo?”

Kalo blinked his eyes hard trying to recall the images and the voice of the woman. His eyes shifted back to the feline laid under the tree, its eyes closed in private glee as it liked its raised leg.

Kit came to a sudden stop in front of Kalo his body dripping and face lit in happiness.

“Kalo, look what I caught?” Kit peered up at Kalo noticing his distraction as he gazed over the young boy’s shoulder towards the feline.

“Kalo, why are you staring at Lycia like that?

“Who?”

“Lycia. That is her name.” Kit said indicating the feline.

“Is that the name you have decided to give her?”

“No silly that is her name. She told me.”

Told you?

            Kalo stored the thought away as his mind struggled to take in all the information. His eyes drifted over the boy and notice the fish Kit held struggling in his hand.

             “That is a fine catch you have there, Kit. It will make a fine meal.”

            “There are tons in the river, Kalo. We should start a fire and roast them! They will be delicious.”

            Kalo reached out and took the fish from the boy.

            “I will start the fire; you go on and see what else you can manage for us.”

            “What a feast for us today.”

  Kit, free of his catch, dashed off into the water excitedly he eyes fixed on the bed of the river seeking out his prey. Kalo on shore rested the fish on a river rock away from the water and begun searching for a place to build to fire. From the corner of his eye he watched the feline now up on its haunches, interested in the prospect of a meal.

 

It would be best, I think, to keep my eye on that one.






Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! As always please leave thoughts and comments, I would love to hear from you guys! More to come!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.