Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN MARVEL NOR ANY OF ITS CHARACTERS. I DO NOT OWN X-MEN nor WOLVERINE>>>PLEASE SUPPORT THE OFFICIAL RELEASE!




Author's Chapter Notes:

Watched Logan, and since this will be Hugh Jackman's last debut as wolverine, I decided to do another suoer hero romance story. I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY!

 

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN MARVEL




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 Elise sighed as she gathered the firewood inside the cabin. Although it was equipped with a heating, she grew accustomed with the fireplace and loved staring at its red depths. Her godfather, Mills slouched in the lazy boy in a huff. She chuckled.

 

      Her father and Mills were close friends. Both were in the marines and both grew up in the small town of Waterloo, Canada. Mills was her father's only friend, therefore granting him the honor of becoming his only child's godfather. However, the two friends separated after their marine times, one being a sheriff and the other being a bar owner.

 

 

 

      Everyone in Salem, Oregon respected her father's hard work. He was honorable and trustworthy…but even his good deeds only brought ten of the forty people who claimed to love him to his funeral. His good heart and friendship could not disperse the pure ignorance of him being a mutant.

 

 

 

'Two policemen and a mutant was killed due to a high volume of smoke after courthouse was set ablaze.'

 

 

 

Sadness. Not even anger could console them. 'A mutant' were the words that described her father. Even after healing the Mayor's child of her injuries during the arson, her father paid the ultimate price and was only described as 'A mutant.'  It was this that sent Elise to thwart her anger of the inequality that mutants had in society with her journalism. To her surprise, before the funeral she received acknowledgement and thanks from a man named Charles Xavier who she figured was also a mutant. Although appreciative of the respectful card, it couldn't withdraw the emotions from her nor her mother.

 

 

 

Her mother moved from Salem to Portland in order to duck and dodge the gossip and the stares. Elise, however, decided to go to her father's old cabin assuring her mother that Mills would look after her. Her mother refused constantly, and it took her two days before she agreed for Elise to continue her articles and private journalism away from the public eye, due to Mills promise.

 

     Leaving her mother was not easy, but the twenty-one year old wanted to make a change. That is, until Mills warned her to keep her advocating voice hidden. Due to the mutants coming out more and more, he warned her it was still unsafe, even though she didn't have the gift.

 

      Reluctantly, the beautiful brown skinned young woman only rolled her dark brown eyes in agreement. She was just happy to be in a place that her father used to bring her, and it felt like home.

 

 

 

"What are your plans tonight?" Mills said in heavy breaths.

 

Elise shrugged off her jacket. "I may just stay here tonight and get things organized…" She paused. "Do you know anyone around here that would let me use their wifi?"

 

 

 

Mills chuckled. "You young people and your technology. Yeah, I know a person. I'll give you the code once they give it to me."

 

Elise smiled. "Can you text it instead?"

 

He rolled his eyes. "Sure, if you want my fat fingers to press those tiny ass buttons." He said.

 

Elise stretched as Mills got up from his seat.

 

 

 

"Welp, better go check on the bar."

 

"Already?"

 

"Yep. It's Friday and it gets a little packed those days."

 

"So you're going to leave me in the middle of nowhere, by myself with bears and god knows what?"

 

Mills sighed. "Elise I gave you my favorite truck, my favorite hound, and my favorite quilt. I can't sit here and watch over you all day, and I don't care if Patricia kicks my ass."

 

She giggled, but he was right. He was old, greying, and had a business to run. Tucker the hound was a loyal, lovely dog to say the least, but it had only been a week since her father's funeral and she felt alone.

 

Elise's face saddened. Tucker whimpered, whilst nudging her hand. Mills noticed this and sat in front of her.

 

 

 

"I miss him too Elise." he said.

 

She sniffed. "They didn't even have the courtesy of giving him any-"

 

 

 

"I know…I know. But you gotta see it from their point of view Elise. All the news ever buzz about are attacks from mutants."

 

"But you knew him Mills. My dad was not like them. His gifts cured and helped people, he would never hurt anyone."

 

"You don't think I know that? I was supposed to die on that field, but your father healed my wound with just one look. However, you gotta take in consideration of the others more powerful. Those X-Men and Magneto or whatever are not what they seem."

 

 

 

"What are you saying Mills? That my father was an exception?"

 

 

 

"No…" He sighed, as he put a hand to her shoulder. "What I'm saying is you declaring war on us normal folk who  don't trust them is a bit harsh. I'm not saying don't speak out, I'm saying be careful Elise. Not everyone is like your father. Don't trust them so easily."

 

 

 

Elise furrowed her eyebrows. She understood his sentiments completely, but he was no different from the people in Salem. Yet, he was scared and many people are scared of what they don't understand. Elise sighed in defeat.

 

 

 

"Okay Mills."

 

"You promise?"

 

Elise shook her head and smiled. "I promise."

 

He gave her the old man smiled and hoisted himself up. "Oh upstairs I left a rifle, in the drawer there's a box of bullets. Do not hesitate to use it."

 

Elise had no intention of ever using such a weapon. Violence already made her sick as it is. She only chuckled.

 

"No need. I think Tucker would do a great job at handling the perp."

 

He chuckled. "Alright, I'll check on you in the morning. Have a good night, Elise."

 

"You too!" She called out as he closed the door.

 

 

 

She inhaled and exhaled and looked into the hounds curious eyes. "Looks like it's just you and me." She said scratching his head.

 

 

 

        Elise spent the rest of her evening cleaning and organizing her things. The house had two beds, one and a half bath, and a small deck to complete. It was a small two levelled house, but it was cozy. Her father bought the cabin when her married her mother, and she absolutely adored coming here during Christmas. Just like when she was young Elise decided to sleep in her old bedroom, which was provided with a queen sized mattress thanks to Mills.

 

 

 

        It was the middle of June and the weather would never reach its warm peak over seventy, but the house was warm leaving her in her pajama shorts and a tank top. She put her curly hair into a bun and started to relax. She made herself a cup of apple cider and nibbled on the snicker doodles she bought before coming to the house.

 

       She smiled at the letter that was sent to her by Mr. Xavier. She did close research on him and saw that he had a school for people like her father. He was bald and sat in a wheelchair, whilst a few others stood around him. One was a beautiful black woman with white hair and another was of a blue furred beast looking man. All of them were exquisite and fascinated Elise. She hoped one day she could meet them. She sat the letter beside the picture of her father, Leon and her mother, Patricia and went to the living room to relax and continue her meditation. Tucker jumped on the couch beside her and allowed his head to rest on her lap. She stared into the fireplace as it was ablaze. She thought of her childhood, her mother, losing her father and her lack of a love life. Elise gave her virginity to a football player in high school. Although they had sex once whilst she was seventeen, she wished she would've saved it for someone more deserving. The guy was a complete asshole, and if she had gifts like the X-Men she would totally zap him. She chuckled from her thoughts. He was her first and the last…. She hadn’t had sex since then. She sighed knowing that her father would not walk her on her future wedding day, or berate her dating interests. Her parents wanted grandchildren…but without him she knew that would never happened. Tears swelled up in her eyes, but her crying only made her sleepy.  Still gazing into the hypnotizing colors of the fire, Elise finally fell asleep peacefully.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

****************

 

 

 

     She woke up immediately. She was startled by what sounded like a loud gun shot  that was very close. Tucker started to bark furiously by the front door. She knew from Mills that neither of the two houses eight miles away from the cabin hunted around the area. She looked at her phone and saw it was twelve in the morning. Definitely had to be a trespasser.

 

     Another loud bang that was too close for comfort, left her heart almost beating out of her chest. She quickly raced up the stairs and as much as she didn't want to, Elise found the rifle that was already loaded and ran back down the stairs at a still barking Tucker. She pulled Tucker by the collar, not wanting him to be possibly hurt by the intruder. She took a deep shaky  breath and put her hand on the door knob ready to open.

 

 

 

     With a count to three, Elise opened the door quickly aiming outside. She heard Tucker run from behind her as he sniffed fiercely. Elise looked around, shivering from the blasting cool air. However, she never slouched in her aiming position and bravely walked down the porch steps.

 

 

 

"Hello?" She said aloud.

 

"Is anyone there?" she said a little louder still aiming. In her peripheral vision she saw movement. She gasped, turning her rifle towards them, only to see two figures running towards a pickup truck. Once they were in, the truck sped away. Elise watched confusingly. She lowered her rifle and rolled her eyes.

 

 

 

"What a bunch of idiots." She assumed that they were trying to hunt a deer…but from what she was told, hunters normally wouldn't allow gun play so close to a home…but a shrill fright crawled up her spine as she heard an agonizing deep moan. Tucker immediately barked and ran towards the sound.

 

 

 

"Tucker wait!" She shouted. Running after the dog she stopped in her tracks with horror in her eyes. The dog's barking went deaf to her ears, as she witnessed a man struggling to breathe. He was bloody with two bullet wounds in his chest. He was staring up at the sky, but when his breath started giving way, Elise immediately dropped the rifle and ran to him.  She touched his wounds and he bucked in pain.

 

 

 

"Sir, stay with me…everything is going to be alright, okay? We have to get you to the hospital." The man squirmed aggressively and before Elise knew it he drew blood from her arm. Elise hissed the pain, but her eyes widened in astonishment. One of the holes blown into his chest was slowly….mending. Not only that, but the blood dripping from her medium length cut was done by blades… blades that protruded from his hands.

 

 

 

A mutant? In Waterloo? She thought.

 

 

 

As fast as they came out, the blades slowly retreated back into his hands. She was mesmerized, but Tucker eventually pulled her out of her stupor. The stranger's moaning may have subsided, but he was still in pain. Him healing was almost in comparison of those of her father's talents. Only Leon could not heal himself. Elise quickly took her scarf and wrapped it around her bleeding arm.

 

 

 

The man's eyes although heavy, watched Elise as she tried to pull him inside the cabin.

 

 

 

Even barely unconscious he was hostile, weakly refusing her hospitality.

 

 

 

"Look sir, or whomever you are, I don't know what you did to those people or what kind of grudge they have against you, but either way you will die in this weather, so either bare with me or let those people finish the job, because you are  heavy and you are not making this any easy!" she scolded. She didn’t mean to sound harsh, but the man weighed a ton, cut her arm, and him being barely alive didn't help. However, as if understanding her words, the man's eyes closed as he was completely knocked out.

 

 

 

It took her thirty minutes to drag him to the living room and lift him on the couch. Elise was exhausted, but with leftover strength, she ran up stairs and gathered quilts, rags, scissors, and towels and brought them down. She filled a bucket with warm water, and sat beside him.

 

 

 

Tucker looked  at both of them, now calm.

 

 

 

"So lazy." She said rolling her eyes at the dog. She began to wipe the remaining blood from his face and removed his leather jacket. She then took the scissors and cut up the wife beater he wore and discarded the bloody fabric. She thanked god that her mother was a nurse and knew how to save someone from shock.

 

 

 

     Elise's thoughts were distracted. She was known to be very immune to temptation, but the removal of his clothing made it hard not to stare. She tried her best to resist gawking at his big muscled chest and even made herself ignore the fact that he was in fact very handsome. She noticed the two bullet wounds growing smaller, slowly but surely. She touched them once more, and he moved slightly. She licked her dry lips, but looked down in shame as she was allowing herself to swoon over a barely conscious mutant.

 

 

 

Elise shook her head from her perverted thoughts and continued to care for him. She watched over his hands hoping that his blades of fury wouldn’t protrude again. She removed his shoes and socks and decided to leave his pants on, in fear of embarrassment.

 

 

 

Whilst wrapping him in the quilts she noticed a dog tag hanging from his neck. She carefully held it in her hand for a closer look.

 

 

 

"Wolverine?" she said aloud. She looked at him, his eyes still closed.

 

 

 

She released the tag and grabbed the remaining quilt. She sat on the lazy boy and reclined it back still watching the sleeping stranger.

 

 

 

"Who are you?" she whispered. Before she knew it, her energy gave way, and she finally drifted off to sleep.

 

 

 

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

ANOTHER CHAPTER COMING NEXT!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.