Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I apologize in advance to anyone on the site who lives in Maine....Like my Cassie, I know zero about Maine..LOL. But, that is one of the wonderful things about the creativity of writing...you can research and you can indulge in the fantasy...Chapter 2...enjoy!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


2)

 

The house Mason spoke of is a large two-story home built of gray colored brick, with wide windows outlined with black shutters and a wrap-around porch with matching white railing. The house is situated about a mile back from the main road, sitting on just over an acre of flawlessly manicured landscape in Greenville, Maine.

I know zero about Maine, even less about this town, but as I sit in the backseat of the taxi I rented, watching the scenery go by, I instantly feel a sense of peace. This place reminds me of my life back in Edensburg, Pennsylvania. Not in the sense that they are exactly similar; Edensburg is rural while, Greenville is a gateway town, situated at the bottom of Moose Head Lake, the largest lake in the State (according to the brochure I snagged at the airport).

What I mean to say is Greenville appears quiet, like Edensburg; slower paced than New York, reminding me of a time in my life when things had been less complicated.

As the taxi pulls into the driveway, I hear Chase shift in the seat beside me. I glance over to see him crooning his neck to get a good view of the land surrounding the house. He doesn't say anything; hasn't since we drove away from New York and the only home he's known from the day he was born. But, I see a glimmer of interest.

My heart swells with hope.

My announcement that we were moving had not gone over well and he sat in silent protest during the plane ride from New York to Portland, Maine and the long taxi ride from the airport our new home.

I get it...I do. I felt the same way when I drove away from Edensburg in the back seat of a fancy Bentley, seated beside my new husband. I watched everything I ever knew disappear in the rearview mirror of Charles's car. It crushed me in ways I could not begin to communicate.

This is different; I get that too. I made a choice. Chase did not get one.

I touch Chase's hand. I want him to understand why I did this. I want him to see that, while he gave up a home, a school filled with friends, he gained the same thing I did....freedom.

His aunts surely would have never left us at alone. Not while, we remained living in the family Estate. And, not so long as they were determined to use whatever resource, me especially, to dethrone Mason. I want no part in their schemes. I also have no intention of letting them drag Chase into their mess either.

As I climb out of the taxi and look up at the house, I breathe a sigh of relief. The house is mine, my life is mine. Silently, I thank Charles for his gift.

"Woah!" I hear Chase say from behind me when we step inside our new home. The fully furnished living room is grand, boasting a high ceiling and large double-pane windows that allowed an abundance of natural light into the home, which bounced off of the gleaming cherry wood flooring.

I drop my bags and begin walking. The flooring carried through the formal dining room (also fully furnished), stopping at the open gourmet kitchen, where it gave way to two-toned marble flooring in contrasting shades of tan that matched the countertops. Dark oak cabinets aligned the walls, accompanied by matching base cabinets; all topped off with stainless steel appliances.

Just beyond the kitchen sits a fully furnished bonus room with a fireplace. The walls are a muted shade of tan that, with the sun shining through the double French doors, makes a cozy scene. I peer out the doors and spot a boat house. Just beyond it, I can see greenery and a short dock leading to a small body of water I gather flows out into  Moose Head Lake at a point I could not see from where I stood.

I hear another "Woah" from Chase, somewhere in the distance and I smile. His sudden enthusiasm I find interesting. This house is half the size of our old home, yet I can't recall him every giving the place one whoa, let alone two. 

A second later he appears before me. "Mom, you have to see this", he says, taking my hand and tugging me away from the view.

I don't mind. He's talking and he's excited; I am happy.

He drags me up the set of back stairs to the second floor, so fast I almost missed noticing the powder room beside them. Chase pulls me into a massive bedroom, I deduce is the master. It is, not surprisingly, furnished like the rest of the house. The main wall holds a four-posted king-sized bed, covered in cream colored bedding and large fluffy pillows Just to its left is a private sitting area; to the right, the master bath.

Down the hall is another large bedroom with its own smaller bathroom, perfect for Chase. Two smaller bedrooms with a Jack-n-Jill bathroom, finish off the second level.

The house is perfect.

After unpacking a good bit of our belongings, Chase enters my bedroom announcing he is hungry. My stomach answers for me with a rumble of its own. I giggle. "Clearly, so am I", I say.

"F.Y.I., checked the refrigerator, it's empty", he informs me.

Oh no. Food was the one thing I completely forgot about.

I scratch my head, thinking. "I guess we'll have to google this town and find some place that delivers".

Chase nods in agreement. "You know", he says. "We can't order out every night".

"I'm aware", I reply.

"We are going to have to go shopping. We don't have someone to do it for us anymore", he points out.

"We'll manage", I say.

"How are we going to get to the supermarket? We need a car".

"To what, admire parked out front?" I ask.  "You know I don't know how to drive".

"Dad's gone, you need to learn", he says in a tone that is not childlike.

"Go wash up", I tell him. "I'll order dinner".

I glare at his back as he leaves. Not because I'm angry, but, because he is right. My 9-year old son, the voice of logic.

After dinner, I settle into my new bed with a book. I stare at the same page for a while then shut the book. It is useless, I can't concentrate with so much going on inside my head. Charles's revelation still weighed on my mind. 

Charles waltzed into my life and turned my world upside down. Then, he dies and my world is flipped yet again. I am a 30 year-old widow, who went for rags to riches and back.

I shake my head. That, was not entirely true. I look around my bedroom, taking in every detail. I am hardly living in squalor. This house is amazing and I have plenty of money in the bank, more than enough to get by. I am also, apparently a business owner.

Tomorrow I am to meet with the contractor at the Bed and Breakfast I owed but had yet to officially name. I am anxious and unsure about this venture. I had not done any research, but, I am pretty sure Bed and Breakfasts were not exactly a new concept in this area. What would set mine apart from the rest? I desperately wanted to figure that out because I did not want to fail, I couldn't.

Too much was riding on its success.

I frown at myself. What is wrong with me. I am an intelligent, capable woman with a degree in Economics. "Which you've never used", my inner voice whispers.

I did not put my degree to use, true. Charles and I had come to a second arrangement regarding our marriage. He wanted children, he agreed to wait until after I finished college. No sooner than my name was inked onto my degree, he flushed my birth control down the toilet. Six months later, I was pregnant with Chase.

When I held Chase in my arms for the first time, nothing became more important than him. So, I went from college grad straight to full time "stay at home" mother. I could have worked, we had plenty of house staff who would have attended to Chase. But, I am his mother. I wanted to be the one to raise him, instill his values. It was important to me he knew love first hand, like I did from my parents.

"Mom".

Chase is standing in my doorway. "Can I sleep in here tonight?" He asks, sounding like a child again. I pat the empty space beside me. He crawls in.  I kiss his hair and almost immediately, he drifts off.

My mouth sets with determination. I can do this....I will do it. Just, like I will learn to drive.

 

******

 

My taxi arrives later than expected, which makes Chase and I late for my meeting with the contractor.

I slide into the back of the taxi with Chase, bark out the address to the drive and we are on our way. Unconsciously, I began to chew my fingernail; a habit I had not visited since I was 12. I catch myself mid-chew, lowering my hand. I stare out the window, noticing that instead of the coastline, I am looking at mountains.

I frown. "Excuse me? Where are you taking us?" I ask the drive.

He glances at me through the rearview mirror. "To the location you gave me", he replies.

"This isn't the coastline", I point out.

"Your location isn't on the coastline", he fires back.

My frown deepens. "Then, where is it?"

"Up by Albany Mountain, Ma'am".

Mountain? Did he say mountain?

"There must be some mistake".

The driver shakes his head, "No ma'am".

I offer no additional response. What could I say? Again, I know zero about Maine, so if the man says my location is up by the mountains, who am I to argue with him. However, I mentally go through what I have in my purse that I can use as a weapon just in case he isn't on the up and up.

Luckily for him, he is, I say to myself as he pulls to a stop outside a three-story log cabin style structure. I scan the building and its surroundings as I pay my fare.

"Do you want me to wait?", the driver asks.

I can tell he sees the look of uncertainty on my face. Chase hops out and begins walking. "No. Thank you", I say quickly, jumping out and rushing to catch up to Chase. I take Chase by the arm. "What are you thinking, taking off like that? There's likely wild animals out here".

Chase's eyes widen...not in fear, in sheer delight. "Cool!" he belts out.

"Not so cool if one mistakes you for a meal".

"What kind?" he asks, totally ignoring my comment.

I roll my eyes into the air.

"Bears mostly", a deep male voice says from behind us. "But we have our fair share of bobcats, mountain lions and such".

I turn with a start. Immediately I pull Chase closer to me, holding his arm in a vice-like grip.

"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you", he says. "I saw you from up there" he explains, pointing over his shoulder up toward the third level of the cabin with his thumb.

I stare at him; I know I am but I can't seem to do much else. Yes, he startled me damn near to death but that isn't the only reason. I find myself transfixed on his ruggedly handsome face, most specifically, his pale green eyes, which, with the sun shining into them, almost appear yellow...no, not yellow...golden. 

He steps closer. His frame is broad and solid. Even underneath the loose fit of his red and black flannel shirt, I see the bulge of muscles. And, he is tall, I realize, 6'2", possibly 6'3". At 5'7", I find I still have to tilt my head more than a bit, to continue to look at him. 

The sun is now also bathing his shoulder length hair in light; the thick strains are a rich sable, perfectly matching the short, neatly trimmed hair covering his square jaw, chin and the upper portion of his mouth.

His face contorts a bit, showing signs of concern. I know it is because I have yet to do more than stand here, still as a statue, gazing at him. Inside my head I scream to myself, "Say something Cassie!"

"Are you the contractor?" God, is that really me? I ask myself, hearing the small, timid voice that comes out of me.

His lips curve into a friendly smile, as he extends his hand. He nods, "Noah McCormick".

I look down, taking the hand he offers. His fingers are a bit calloused. The contact with my softer fingers sends a shiver along my spine. "Casandra Friel", I reply, again in that mousy voice; this time, however, it's shaky.

My hand remains in his. He is watching me more closely now and I am mortified that he might see what is really going on.

What is going on?

I'm not 100% certain but it feels like attraction; raw, lusty, attraction.

I slip my hand from his, desperate to break our contact. He watches me a little longer than he kneels down, so that he is eye level with Chase.

"Hi there" he says.

"Hi", Chase replies. "Are there really bears and lions out here?"

Noah nods. "Yup, sure are".

"Awesome", Chase says, beaming with excitement.

"Steer clear", he warns Chase. "Wild animals are unpredictable".

He rose, our eyes connect again. "Ready to go inside?" he asks.

I nod. 

As I follow him up the walkway, Chase at my side, I can't help but wonder if he fell into that category.

I chew on the notion; however, my thoughts are averted when we enter the "cabin". Upon observation, I see my use of the word is accurate...too accurate for my particular taste. The interior walls are an exact replication of the exterior, all large, brown logs. Even the ceiling is covered with them. At the main entrance is a sitting area with two old sofas, dressed in flowered fabric. A coffee table which appeared to be handcrafted of wood, sat between them. It is a great area, that catches plenty of sunlight during the day through the long, wide windows and I bet the view of the woods and mountain is breathtaking at night. Across the room is the check-in area; the dilapidated counter had seen better days I'm sure.

We continue venturing through, into a dining area with eight bulky wood tables and matching chair that have the same flowery fabric as the sofas in the sitting area. It is a terrible fabric and I cannot help but frown at the idea someone thought to carrying it over into this room.

The kitchen, 2nd and 3rd floor bedrooms and bathrooms are more of the same; old, outdated furniture.

I resist the urge to sigh. I may be from small town U.S.A. originally, but rustic is not my cup of tea, never was. The small renovation I imagined based on my conversation with Mason, was way off the mark. Everything must go.

Mentally, I begin doing a checklist of what needed to happen to make this place ready to open for business. By the time we return to the sitting area, my brain hurts ever so slightly.

"What do you think?" Noah asks me.

I've no clue but I do not say so out loud. I need to go home and regroup, my mind has had one too many shocks this morning. First, the unexpected, instantaneous draw to him. Then, the revelation that my new business will likely break the bank in order for me to get it up and running the way I see fit.

"I have a few ideas", I say instead. "I will have to work them out on paper first then I'll get back to you and we can discuss the cost".

"I've done a full inspection. It may not look like it but this place has good bones. The roofer is newer, the plumbing is in excellent condition, HVAC needs updating but there are no foundation issues. Mostly needs some cosmetics", Noah says, stroking his chin.

That was a relief to hear. "Thank you. Do you wish to be paid separately for the initial inspection?"

Noah raises an eyebrow. "The inspection fee was paid beforehand".

"Oh, I see". Mason did mention that the contractor was on standby. I clear my throat, "In that case, I will work on the details and be in touch".

"Okay", he replies. "I'll wait to hear from you".

Out goes his hand. I hesitate before taking his offered hand. No sooner than we touch, I feel the crackle of energy in the air. My breath catches in my lungs and I quickly pull away.

I can feel his eyes boring into me but I do not dare look up to meet them. Instead, I focus my attention on Chase. "Say good-bye to Mr. McCormick, Chase".

Chase waves as I ushered us to the door. I am half way down the walk when I remember I sent the taxi driver away without securing a means for us to get back home.

I pull out my cell phone to call for a ride only to discover I have no service. I guess the mountain and the trees are messing with the reception. "Damn it".

"You said a bad word mom", Chase informs me.

"I know sweetie. Sorry. My cell phone isn't working and we need a ride". I glance over my shoulder to see Noah standing in the doorway. I've no alternative but to ask for his assistance or Chase and I will be stuck up here for God knows how long.

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.