Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Delivery Day


"Nope you're not in labor yet." Corey says, pulling the hem of my night gown back down over my thighs, removing his gloves and tossing them in the trash in our en suite bathroom.


"What? Are you sure?" I question, tossing my head back on my pillow in frustration. Clad in nothing but a short, white, cotton night gown, the fact that my boys seem unwilling to give up my womb today is making me anxious. Between the sweltering heat of Virginia, and the general discomfort of being so swollen, I'm ready to serve these babies with an immediate eviction notice.


"I didn't think she was in labor just yet, Corey. Sorry we woke you up and got you over here so late." Rick apologized, seated next to me at the edge of the bed shirtless in just his pajama pants, holding my hand. "She's been crying wolf all day though, so I just wanted to be sure." He looked over to me, giving me a knowing smirk.


"Really, Rick? Whose side are you on?" I ask, agitated with his description of me, and my general physical discomfort. Though I suppose he's not far off. Every touch of heightened pressure has felt like a trigger for labor, but it sounds like they have all deceptively just been Braxton-Hicks.


"I'm always on your side, baby, you know that. You don't even have to ask." He picks up the hand that he's holding and lovingly kisses my wrist, indulging and softening me to him. "But I think if you were really in labor you wouldn't have been so calm about it." He laughs. "Right, Corey? Probably a lot more hollerin' involved if I correctly remember how this goes."


"All of the babies I have delivered were welcomed by a whole lot of hollering!" Corey agreed with Rick, sending them into a moment of shared convivial laughter. While I don't appreciate their amusement at my expense, it is good to see Corey and Rick getting along. I sincerely thought that after their first meeting, and my admission about finding Corey attractive, familiar, that Rick was going to either kill him, or at least hate his guts forever. But, recently he has been making a concerted effort to get along with him. Helping him get setup in one of the nicest apartments in Alexandria, the Monroe's old apartment. Going on runs for specific medical supplies to help further stock the infirmary, at Corey's request. Introducing him around the community. It's the little things that have made a big difference. He's still Rick Grimes though, so while he doesn't stare him down any time a pelvic exam is involved, he does still get tense. But, I no longer worry about his Colt Python making a lethal appearance at the same time. Progress.


I appreciate the effort he's putting forth to tame his anger and jealousy some, though sometimes I have to admit that it turns me on a little. Sometimes a lot. Last week when he found Scott and I at the lake talking, the fire in Rick's eyes had me so excited I couldn't wait to get him back to our house and wear him out. Which I did. He deserved a reward for not killing Scott, which knowing Rick, crossed his mind at least once.


That night we had a good talk about it too, which is also something he has been doing a lot of lately. Talking, communicating, making sure we understand each other. Not just to me, but to others as well. What I have learned from our talks, and a few conversations with Maggie as well, is that the situation with Shane and Lori really did a number on him. When you have had the two people you are closest to, that you love the most in the world, hurt and betray you like they did to him, it's hard for anyone to forget that kind of pain. There was so much about Lori and Rick's relationship that was toxic, that it has permeated itself into the fabric of who Rick is, how he feels about himself, and others around him. There was a reason that Rick was hesitant for he and I to be together, to love again, to let us really have a chance at this future, and that reason is Lori. Who sleeps with another man, your husband's best friend, weeks, maybe months after you assume he died? The only thing good I have ever heard about Lori was that she gave the world some amazing kids, and with that I can agree. Other than that I can't even muster a kind thought for her.


My Rick is such a wonderful, loving man, who sacrifices and gives so much of himself, that I can't find it in me to punish him for reacting in a purely human and understandable way. I knew he would be upset about Scott, to find out about our time together. Scott was what I needed, when I needed it. It's because I was able to open myself emotionally with Scott, that I could fully embrace who I really wanted, and that was Rick. My heart, everything I am and that I have, undoubtedly belongs to that man. So, I have decided to be patient with him, and to encourage him to work through the feelings of jealousy on his own time. To remind him that he can trust me, in our love, and that I would never betray him, hurt him. Never. As I sit here on this bed, watching him patting Corey on the back, listening to them laugh together, and the fact that Scott is still breathing, I think he's doing an amazing job working through it, all things considered. There was a time when my husband would have shot first and asked questions later.


Being honest I'm also no saint when it comes to Rick. I get jealous, I just hide it better than he does. Rick's temper is like an immediate brush fire, wildly consuming everything around it with lethal efficiency. My temper is more like ice. Cool, enchanting, in some forms deceptively beautiful, yet still lethal. Never one to show my own hand, I did secretly hate the ground Jessie walked on. Clearly not broken up by her death, I simply chose to ignore her at the time, and moved on with hopes that Rick would snap out of it, while I occupied myself with Scott. And I did make sure to kill Jadis, when we stormed and took over their junkyard. Though under the guise of war being war, and simply brutal, there was nothing but pure satisfaction in my heart when I felt the blade of my katana sever her bad haircut and head from her body. I could have let her live, but I did not take kindly to her having the nerve to even consider being with Rick, let alone boldly asking me to lay with him. I may be just now warming up to the outward possessive claiming of Rick, but I don't play when it comes to him, and truthfully I think that at the end of the day, he likes that in me as much as I like it in him.


"I'm glad that you two are so amused over my discomfort." I grumble, not seeing the humor at all.


"I think the babies will come soon though, Michonne, so it's good that you are prepared. But you've gone into labor before, you will know when it's really show time." Corey advised, packing up his doctor's bag.


"I told her that, too. I think we're both just kinda eager to get the show on the road, so I don't blame her." Rick leans over me and kisses me softly on the forehead.


"I was reading about ways to induce labor earlier today, and I have a few suggestions for you. You could try exercise like walking, or spicy foods if you can find any, or…ahem sex might help as well." He trips a little on that last one, his eyes nervously bouncing from Rick to me.


The room grows quiet, and Corey looks to me, maybe looking for a clue as to how Rick is taking this, and I'm looking to Rick to gauge his response. But in no time, a slow, wide grin hits his lips, a scarlet blush rushing from his toned chest to his handsome face. The mood in the room remains light as Rick's wide smile, nestled in the brush of his thick beard, is followed by a burst of raucous laughter erupting from him. Turning to me, his eyebrows raised high over those sapphire eyes of his, he cheekily asks, "Think we can manage that, Chonne, the sex part?"


Following his lead, taken in by his sexy flirtation, not caring that Corey is in the room with us, I bite down on my lip and answer. "Yeah, Rick, I think we've got that down in spades, baby."


"Alrighty then. I think that's my cue." Corey mutters, apparently uncomfortable with the sexually laced banter between Rick and I. "Michonne, I wouldn't suggest leaving Alexandria any time soon. Babies should be here any day now. Good night folks. I'll show myself out." He says, grabbing his bag, turning to hurriedly exit through the bedroom door.


Mischief evident in his eyes, not even acknowledging Corey's hasty departure, or waiting to be sure that he is gone from the house, Rick brushes my lips with his own, and whispers, "Come here."


Opening my mouth to answer him, Rick takes advantage and quickly moves to plunge his commanding tongue into my mouth, firmly capturing and sucking on my bottom lip. Turning my head towards him with his hungry kiss, his heavy body is now pressing to my side. Throwing his left leg over my own, he's holding me open for his left hand to hoist my nightgown up and over my breasts. Firmly grasping my chin, holding my mouth to his, his powerful hand is now slowly gravitating downward. Stopping to take a hold of my throat, he nudges my head back to the headboard just enough for his lips to vigorously suck at my quickening pulse. A quiet moan escapes my lips, as his sucking turns to soft bites and licks.


My back is arched now, and Rick's capable hand is masterfully kneading my large breasts, his thumb rolling over the erect peaks, now tight with the thrill of my arousal. Everything on my body has heightened sensitivity now, and I can barely handle what he's doing to me, his masterful attention to my most erogenous parts. "Oh God. Rick…", I groan, my lust reaching such formidable peaks that I can barely breathe. With my own left hand, I'm determined to help assuage the fire that has my body poised to melt into a satiated puddle. Legs thrown wide apart, I dip my fingers into the damp heat between my legs, slowly massaging the folds for relief. Seeing that I have begun to pleasure myself, Rick places his left hand over my right, guiding my fingers back and forth, spreading my juices across my clit with concentrated strokes.


Rick's heavy breaths fall from his lips in warm puffs. Looking to pleasure him as well, I wrangle my left arm from between us, and lick my palm. His eyes open to observe my movements, watching as I reach my hand into his pajama pants and grab hold to his cock. Firmly I wrap my hand around him, his flesh steely and erect. Twisting and pulling, the gyrations of my hand draw out rough growls that rumble in his hard chest pressed against my arm, and I can tell that his wanton appetite is as greedy as my own.


"Grab me tighter, Chonne." Rick assertively demands, gruffness tinging his voice. Indulging his request, I tighten my grip on him, and we are equally delighting in the pleasure we are giving each other, but I need more.


"Rick, I need you to fuck me. Please, baby." I beg, knowing that the craving evident in my voice will drive him crazy, spur him to further action.


Withdrawing his hand from my body, he jumps out of the bed. Glancing over at him, I witness him hurriedly pushing down his pajama pants over his lean hips, and stepping out of them to reveal the full length and heft of his satisfying cock. My perusal of his body is both lewd and lascivious, as the need to partake of what he's offering, my desire to be filled to the hilt by him, is nudging me to the brink of insanity.


Taking me in, Rick's own gaze is dark and lust filled, as he commands me. "Stand up and turn around, Chonne." Following his orders, I slowly raise from the bed, my thighs slick from enjoyment at the gruff way he summons me to act. Coming up behind me, his chest to my back, cock nestled firmly into the cleft of my ass, left arm wrapped around my shoulders, he's softly caressing my throat with his agile fingers. Tilting his head to the right, he wetly licks and kisses the corner of my lips. "Bend over, hands on the bed."


Again following his direction, I bend over slowly, clutching the sheets in my palms, yearning for his touch. Tight with anticipation, Rick's ambitious palms caress my pussy and massage my ass, pulling apart the cheeks. Leaning over and taking a long salacious lick, from my clit to my ass, he moans in appreciation, as I bury my face in the sheets, unable to quietly withstand the pleasure. Standing once again, he administers a sharp smack to my right cheek and proclaims in his southern tenor, "Now you're ready."


Immediately the pressure from his heavy blunt tip is felt pushing against my drenched lips, causing me to loudly cry out. Bending over, around me, he's draping my body with his own. My awareness of how close and connected we are through all of my senses is significantly increased in this position. Rick is everywhere. The taste of his mouth is still lacing the flavor of my own. The feel of his heavy body tightly surrounding, and fully engorged inside of me. Deep pants of excitement find their way to my ears. Over my shoulder I can see his chestnut curls dancing across his forehead with every strong push of his body against mine. Drenched in sweat, the smell of his masculine musk incites every animalistic desire inside of me that delights in him taking me in this way, satisfying my deepest urges.


Thrusting with a slight measure of force, he's impaling me despite the tight resistance of my snug canal, causing such a delicious friction that I'm hungrily pushing back to consume as much of his cock as I can take. His left hand is tightly grasping the swell of my thigh, directly below my stomach, his right arm is now thrown across my breasts. Lazily his right gravitates lovingly to the side of my face, turning it towards him. Sloppily licking and biting on my chin, my cheeks, he stops at my lips. Though it's dark, the moon's specter sneaking through the windows, creates enough dusky lighting for me to see his piercing blue eyes studying my face.


"Is that what you needed, baby? Hm?" He asks in a low seductive growl, that sends a streak of excitement from my core and up my spine. Now fully seated, his groin pressed close to my butt, he lessens the force, and his hips begin a slow seductive roll, in and out. Widening his stance, and swiveling his hips from side to side, I'm momentarily frozen from the delicious feeling of him opening me up further.


I finally catch my breath enough to answer him. "Yes! Yes! Rick, please!"


"Please what, Chonne?" He asks, his left hand is now busily brushing against my clit in a steady rhythm that has me desperate to capture and succumb to the climax he's stirring in me. Picking up speed, his thrusts are becoming near frantic in their pace. Back arched as much as I can in his tight hold, I'm trying to meet his groin every time it grinds against my ass. The force with which his cock is tunneling and knocking against my g-spot is simply the purest and most exquisite torture. Panting, attempting to take in as much air as I can to survive the thrill of this ride, I'm responding in small huffs, "Fuck me, Rick, harder! Please."


Clutching me to his chest with his strong right arm is wrapped around my shoulders, Rick lightly grabs onto my left thigh with his other hand, bending it to place it on the bed, giving him deeper access to my pussy. Since my stomach is so large now, our sex positions are more limited, but Rick knows this one is my absolute favorite. Spread this way for him, Rick is able to get deep inside of me, to that magic spot that is guaranteed to deliver a breathtaking orgasm.


"There you go, open up for me, baby. Shit, you're so damn wet!" He exclaims, peppering my face with his adoring kisses.


"It's so good, Rick. Don't stop, don't stop."


"You feel amazing on my dick, Chonne, fuck!"


Before I know it, fire is licking through my body, my orgasm erupting through me. Head bowed over in exhaustion, I'm savoring the electrifying stirring in my womanhood, slickness drowning Rick's cock. Words can't describe the sensation, the only sound that can exit my lips is a satisfying hum. "Mmmmmm…"


"Fuck, I'm coming…" Still chasing his own completion, Rick's grip of my body grows tighter, his left hand clutching my hip with such strength it's exciting me all over again. With a final hard thrust I can instantly sense the splash of his cum. "Fuuuuuuck!"


Collapsing together, our senses are recovering from the overwhelmingly titillating way we've pleasured each other. Cuddled together, my body dwarfed by Rick's, cloaked in his warmth, we're both exhausted. Helping me up, and into the bed, turning onto my side, sleep is immediately making a hard play at dragging me under. Edging up behind me in the bed, his palm lightly rubbing my stomach in hypnotizing circles, Rick breaks through my imminent slumber with a gentle nipping tug from his lips to my ear, and raspy low spoken words. "I think that will get my boys outta there, Chonne."




"Hey." Rosita greets Judith and I, hand in hand, coming up the sidewalk in a slow stroll.


"Hello, Rosita. How are you feeling?" I query, taking note that Rosita is still attempting to mask her pregnancy with oversized clothing. Clad in jeans, and man's oversized T-shirt, her modest bump is thinly concealed, but easy to detect if you were looking for it. It's also a stark contrast to her normal summer attire of short shorts, and tank tops.


"I'm fine. Tired, hot, aggravated. Nothing new." She huffs, and shrugs.


"Do you want to talk about it? Judy and I are just taking a walk, keeping busy."


"Oh yeah? You mind if I join you guys and talk to your mommy for a little bit, Judith?" Rosita asks in an uncharacteristically sweet voice, the one that's reserved only for children.


"Ok." She shrugs. "I'm just walking my mommy so that my brothers will come out. I heard Daddy tell Mommy he thought he did the trick last night, but the babies still aren't here." Judith states matter of factly, confusion lacing her elf-like little voice. "But you can help I guess." She says, releasing her grip on my hand and skipping ahead of us in her pretty purple sundress.


Waddling side to side, I'm putting forth a great deal of effort to balance all this belly and body, and not melt in this heat. Rosita falls in step with me, heading towards the middle of the community.


"What's on your mind, Rosita?"


"I know that you and Rick know about Daryl's and my situation. You haven't told anyone else have you?" Peaking over at me, wariness in her eyes.


"No. But, I hope you realize that it's not really a secret anymore. Your cheeks are puffing out, your nose is getting bigger, your stomach is bigger. People can probably tell, Rosita. More importantly, why do you want it to be a secret?"


"Because then people are going to want to know whose baby it is, Michonne. It's not like with you and Rick. Daryl and I aren't together. I don't want to have to explain to people that my baby is the result of a wartime, mourning, grief hookup." She explains. There is a hint of both bitterness and regret in her words, and I understand why. While I don't fault her for not wanting to answer all of the questions that she will be flooded with should she admit to being pregnant, let alone being pregnant by Daryl, I think she owes it to herself and to him to at least be honest and straightforward with each other.


I will never understand why the stereotype that women like to gossip ever became a thing. Men gossip more than any women I have ever known. Rick is a perfect example. He simply cannot hold water. That man has never met a secret or a bit of gossip that he couldn't wait to tell me. So, when Daryl came to him about two months ago and confessed that he and Rosita had slept together the night that Carol died, and that now she was pregnant with his baby, Rick beat a path directly to the pantry where Aaron and I were putting together a list of needs for the next run. Finding me with Aaron, and not wanting to spill the beans to him as well, he came up with some bogus story to get me away, so we could be alone and he could fill me in on his newest bit of Alexandria gossip. As usual it was a story about who is sleeping with who, but the twist here was that the parties involved were resident grouches, Rosita and Daryl. And that not only had they slept together, but she was now pregnant and pretty much refusing to acknowledge it or him, at least not until she was inevitably left with no choice.


As unlikely as their pairing seemed, I could see how and why they would seek comfort in each other. Everyone knew that there was something with Carol and Daryl, with Rick telling me that he unbelievingly caught them together once at the prison. But, when she moved to The Kingdom, and seemed to be trying to build a life with Ezekiel, their "thing" fizzled out completely. When she was killed by an explosion set off on the road by the saviors before the end of the war, he never fully recovered. Afterwards he threw himself completely into his ambassador duties with Eugene. Rosita on the other hand has been functioning, or not, depending on who you ask, in a constant state of hurt and anger since Abe left her for Sasha. Subsequently losing both of them, Glenn, Denise, Olivia, and Spencer as well. Then Eugene's relocation to The Sanctuary, mostly due to her actions as well, it was all a lot for her to cope with. The saviors had taken so much from all of us, grief running rampant through our war torn communities. It really was no surprise that the same dark anger that cast a pall over each of us in mourning, would pull those two together.


"But you don't have to tell them if you don't want to, and I think that Daryl would want you to at least not deny him access to the baby. It's his baby as well, and you both deserve to try and find the happiness in this. From your grief you created a life."


"How do you know he would want me to, Michonne? He doesn't talk to me. Not really." Rosita states, eye cast somewhere ahead of his, nervously searching for understanding.


"He's not a talker. But, I know Daryl, and I know he wants this baby, but he also wants to do whatever you want to do. And he wants you take care of yourself and the baby. At least do that. Let Corey examine you to make sure everything is ok."


"I wanted to die for so long, I was ready to die. But Sasha said it wasn't my time, so here I am. I don't think I want to give up anymore. Maybe."


"Perhaps this thing with Daryl, this chance to start building a new life together, with all of us, is why it wasn't your time then. For sure we will all go at some point, we can lose each other at any time. But, what are we going to do with the time we have now? All of this fighting and surviving has to mean something, it's got to be for some reason."


"Is that how you feel about your relationship with Rick?" She asks in earnest


At the sound of his name, I get a flash reminder of what we did last night, and a happy smile claims my face, from my lips to my eyes. "Yeah, it is. Rick is definitely one of the reasons. Do yourself a favor and talk to Daryl. Figure it out together. Right now, you are the only family each other has. Add your baby to the mix, and you can have something, Rosita. If you want it. There's a reason you guys found each other in the first place. Ok?"


"We'll see. I'll let you go and catch up with Judith, she's gotten pretty far on those little legs of hers." She nods ahead and jokes, attempting to lighten the moment.


"Take care, Rosita." Knowing that Rosita doesn't really seek affection, I sense that she needs it, and reach out to give her a hug. Surprisingly, she returns it with sincere fervor. Parting ways, I watch her walk away towards Daryl's apartment, hopeful that they will be able to work things out.


"Judy, sweetie, come back now!" I scream out for my daughter, who has made it nearly a full block away from me.


Obeying and running back towards me, her chubby cheeks are red from exertion. "Mommy, are you done with big girl talk with 'Sita?" Judith asks, scrunching up her little face at me.


"Yes I am, and I'm ready to head home. Mommy's back is hurting and I think I need to use the potty."


"We gotta get home, Mommy! You can't use the potty in your big girl panties, you gotta use the potty like a big girl, Mommy." She reminds me, scolding me in the same way I did her while she was potty training.


"Let's go then, Judy." I say, inviting her to take hold of my hand again. Walking the block or so back towards our house is proving nearly impossible with the dull pressure and ache in my back now spreading to my abdomen.


Needing to take a break and catch my breath, I'm looking to the sky, composing myself when I hear Judith's admonishing voice again. "Uh oh, Mommy. You didn't make it to the potty in time!"


Lowering my head to see what Judith is talking about, I instantly realize that my water has broken, and is trickling down my thigh. Trying to stay calm I take a few deep breaths in and out, but the ache is becoming more precise now, more of a tightening sting to both my abdomen and back. Hands to my stomach, bent over in pain, a grimace is covering my face.


Chubby little hands to my face, Judith touches my cheeks and looks me in the eyes, with all the childlike seriousness she can muster. "Come on, Mommy, I walk you home and I won't tell anyone you went pee pee on yourself." Shaking her head slightly, she smiles at me like this is our little secret.


"Thank you, sweetheart, but I think we should walk to the infirmary instead. Maybe stop at the house to see if Daddy is still there to walk with us, ok? Can you help Mommy do that, Judy?" I ask, trying to prevent my demeanor and face from scaring her, but I'm in a great deal of pain now. More pain and pressure than I remember experiencing with Andre, and the profoundness of it is quite jolting.


"Yes, Mommy, I can do that! Let's go." Grabbing hold to my hand, a moment passes for me to collect myself enough to stand up straight and move my legs, my feet. One foot in front of the other, we slowly make our way to our house. Judith releases my hand and takes off up the stairs to crash through the door, looking and hollering for Rick.


I continue my sluggish amble towards the infirmary, when Rick comes frantically running out of the house towards me, without his boots on, Judith trailing behind him. "Michonne! What's happening? Judith said you peed yourself?"


"I had to tell him, Mommy, cause he wouldn't wake up from his nap until I did. Sorry." She apologizes, pouting at her father telling on her about telling on me.


"It's ok, you did good." I smile at her, giving her a pat on the back for being so helpful. "Rick, it's time, my water broke while Judith and I were walking. And it hurts, so can we get to the infirmary now? The pain is pretty intense." Excitement animating his features, I put my hand out for him to try, a weak attempt to try and relax both of us. "I need help to get there, Rick. I can't walk the few blocks on my own, it's too much." I breathe out, feeling my face flush with sweat and heat from the exertion of walking and enduring the consistent rush of pain in my stomach.


"Yes! Yeah!" Rick swivels his head back and forth, curls flying around his head, looking for something, but not moving. I need to get going.


"Rick, why don't you run in the house and get your boots. Is Carl home?" I calmly ask, hopiong to spur him to action.


"No, but Aaron or Eric might be home a few doors down. Ho-Hold on. Can you stand here for a sec on your own?" he asks, rambling through his answer, running his hands through his hair in a panic.


"Ok, go ahead. Judith and I will just try and walk a bit while you get your things." I reason, holding tightly to my baby girl's hand. "Come on, Judy, I need you to walk with Mommy some more." My halting words are now eeking out in between my attempts to relax, to employ meditative breathing to get through the pain and the absurdity of the situation. Running back out of the house boots in hand, not on his feet, Rick takes off down the street to bang on Aaron's door. Luckily Aaron appears pretty quickly, used to the dramatic turns that have taken place in Alexandria, always poised for action. I can't hear what Rick is saying, but he's grabbed Aaron's hand and is pulling him towards me and Judith.


Shuffling at a snail's pace, having barely left the front of my house, it's easy for Rick and Aaron to reach us, and take over from Judith. Rick hands Judith his boots to carry. Arms supporting my back, Rick and Aaron each grasp tightly to one of my own arms. They lead me the few blocks over to the infirmary, drawing the curious stares and questions of neighbors and friends. Judith excitedly answers all queries, explaining that her Mommy had a potty accident, with Rick exasperatedly clarifying that my water broke and I'm in labor. Faking a smile to everyone through my steadily increasing pants and gasps, I'm overwhelmed with relief that we finally make it to the infirmary and that Corey is there.


"Grimes family, it's finally show time huh? Rick, let's get her into the bathroom in the back with the tub." Corey directs.


"Huh? Why the bathroom?" Rick asks, not understanding.


"Michonne said she wanted a water birth, and when I read up on them, I think it will be best considering that an epidural is not possible, and we don't want to do a C-Section unless we have no choice. The warm water should help with the pain, and hopefully reduce the chance of tearing. If your plans have changed we can try something different, but medically speaking I think the water birth is the best option." He assures.


"Oh, uh, Chonne if that's what you want I'm fine with it. You sure you don't want any pain meds of any kind? Corey, you can't give her something?" Rick asks, uncertainty clear in voice.


"No, this should be fine. I think it will be ok." I utter. "Aaron, thank you for helping Rick get me here. Can you please take Judith and see if you can find Carl, let him know we're here?"


"Sure. Good luck!"




Submerged in the warm soothing water, my legs bent at the knee, pulled to my chest, I'm leaning back on Rick's chest, controlling my breathing. Clad in nothing but a bra, and Rick in his boxers, this whole experience is surreal. That I'm here, in this place, with the love of my life, giving birth to twins, in an idyllic community surrounded by decay and destruction. Who says that the universe doesn't have a wicked sense of humor? Growing exhausted from the grueling start and stop of the pushing, attempting to meditate to mitigate the pain, I ease my head back on Rick's shoulder to capture a brief moment of relief.


Rick's kisses to my temple, and his firm calloused touch rubbing through my locs, do provide some modicum of comfort. "You're doing great, baby, you really are. Right, Corey, she's doing good?" Rick encourages, always so supportive.


"You're doing amazing, Michonne. But, I think we can try something else to speed things along, maybe use gravity to your advantage. Baby A is nearly here, I could feel his head right there, but I think you're so tired that the pushes aren't doing the trick just yet. How about we try with you on your knees, or squatting on your feet facing Rick? And then you can push and let's see if we can't get at least the first baby out? Can you do that?" Corey asks. He has been extremely patient throughout the long day. Getting things set up for us, not balking at Rick's demanding commands that he do something about the pain every time I moan, move, or sweat. And offering helpful options, like this one to change positions. No, his grace under pressure is sorely needed, and he's proving to be a fantastic doctor, a big asset to us.


Everything is so different from when I had Andre. It's not at all what I expected. These Grimes boys are as stubborn as their father, and just don't seem to want to come out. Swiftly going from eight to ten centimeters dilated, and now at 100% effacement, this should be going quicker than it is. When I came in and got settled Corey thought it would move along at a fairly fast pace. But it didn't, not exactly. It seems like when I got in the tub, these boys went the opposite direction and slowed down, settling in and abandoning their previously enacted escape plan. I assume that like their father, a warm, safe, and cozy home is not something they are going to give up too easily.


Over the last 12 hours of labor, Rick walked with me up and down the hall to keep my mind off the reality of an active, drawn out labor with no pain medication. And Carl and Judith came, bringing me ice to suck on since I was not allowed to eat any food. Judith chattered away, completely unaware of the seriousness of what was going on. Her constant questions and stories did serve to pleasantly distract me as she detailed to Rick and I all the games she was going to play, things she was going to do with her new brothers, all fun stuff that Carl is too old to do. And names, baby names that she thought should be considered. If she had her way Pooh and Piglet, from one of her favorite bed time stories, would be purely logical choices.


My poor, sweet son, Carl on the other hand, seemed freaked out about the whole thing, and kept his distance unless he was bringing a new batch of ice. I think it's bringing back too many awful memories of his mother giving birth to Judith, the fatal way that ended for Lori, and the heart-wrenching role he had to play in that. As a family we talked about what this could mean, me giving birth to twins. And not just the change in our lives for a successful birth, but the potential for a less than happy outcome. Judith didn't understand anything past babies. Carl completely understood, but with a stoicism we have come to expect from him, he said he's with us either way. After hours of stalled labor, watching me grunt and groan, he and Judith decided to sleep at the infirmary until the babies came, but Carl didn't want to be in the room for the delivery. And frankly, it's too soon to explain to Judith why the babies are coming out of Mommy's "girl parts", and how they got in there, so it's best she not be present either. With a quick kiss to my cheek from Carl, and a sloppy "kissy" from Judith's cookie crumb covered lips, Rick and I were alone in the tub, ready for delivery.


Deciding to listen to Corey's advice, Rick helps me to my knees, which are straddling his thighs, my pelvis widely set. I'm leaning over him, with my arms extended to his shoulders, head bowed to his, our foreheads touching. His arms are snugly around my waist, resting on my back, his hands massaging up and down, settling us in to this new position.


"This feels familiar huh? Probably how we ended up in this tub in the first place?" Rick grins at me, his blues roaming over my face, lovingly gazing into my weary, tired eyes. His own are red rimmed, a clear sign of how tired he is as well. This man has been with me every step of the way, walking with me, holding my hand, pulling my hair up into a messy bun on top of my head, attempting to absorb as much of the stress and pain of this delivery as he realistically can. The only complaint he had all day was that the water in the tub was too hot, as usual, as he always claims I like the shower and the tub hotter than necessary. That minor grumble aside, he has been perfect. Though frantic at times, nerves evident by how unkempt his curls have become all over his head, he has been my rock, keeping me from giving up when the pain was too burdensome, or the pushing was draining me.


"Rick…" I say, drawing out his name, offering a little chuckle at the end, amused by his astute observation. "No more twins. You promise? This is taking a lot out of me."


"My goddess, I can't make that promise. You know you incite the best outta me. Next time let's do triplets." He offers, raising his greying eyebrows high, teasing me, biting down on his perfectly pink bottom lip. Proceeding to take away my breath, he places his lips firmly against mine, and whispers over my lips "You're amazing, and strong, Chonne, you got this. You're so beautiful right now, like this, always. You are making every one of my dreams reality. Thank you."


"Don't try to smooth talk me, Grimes. I might not let you touch me again if these boys don't come on out. Ooooooh!"


"Let me check you, Michonne. You're going to feel my hands." I can feel Corey behind me, his hands gently prodding, feeling for the baby's head at the entrance of my tender canal. "Oh yeah, Baby A is crowning. Give me a big push, come on, your boys are coming. Rick, help her to her feet, in more of a crouch, and support her upper half." Corey advised.


"I got it. Come on, Chonne. Baby, we're almost there." Rick encourages, eyes excited at the impending arrival of our babies.


"Mmmmm, oh God!" I groan through the push and the pain, but instantly I feel a relief of the immediate pressure, sending me nearly collapsing onto Rick, leaving my unsteady feet. Sweat is dripping down my face, streaming over my nose and lips.


Rubbing the back of my neck, Rick excitedly exclaims, "He's here! Chonne, baby, he's here!"


I can't move though, I'm exhausted. My neck won't even move to turn and see my baby boy. Corey is scurrying from his position behind me at the side of the tub, where he guided the first baby out. Hurriedly pulling him from the bloody water, I can hear Corey clearing his mouth with the aspirator, encouraging him to cry. Slightly turning my head towards the commotion, Rick and I both catch our first glimpse of our boy. Hollering loudly, flailing his arms and miniature fists about wildly, is our boy. His tiny body is covered in a white, greasy substance, and his head is overspread in long jet black curls.


"Look at him, Chonne. He's beautiful! Hey little guy!" Rick says, pride and excitement in his voice. Tears of joy welling in his icy blue eyes, are released by a quick succession of ecstatic blinks. Mesmorized momentarily, we are both locked into the sight of our baby. The first real empirical evidence of our love, our coupling.


Gasping for air, trying to collect myself, the joy of our first son's arrival is cut short by the tensing pressure of his brother following him out. "Oh God, it hurts again! Oh God!" I suddenly moan from the uptick of pressure to my canal again.


"Here, Rick, hold Baby A in your left arm here, on your shoulder. Michonne, back on your feet, but shift the weight from your top half to Rick's right shoulder, ok? Everybody got it? Whew, we're almost there!" Corey enthusiastically guides. Heading back towards the foot of the tub, he places his hands at my opening to check for my other son. "Yeah, the little guy is crowning, as well. Big push, Michonne, he's coming fast."


Teetering on my tired feet, one hand around Rick's right shoulder, the other on the rim of the tub, my head is bowed and I question whether or not I have another push left in me.


Reading my mood, recognizing that fatigue is conquering me, Rick withdraws his awestruck gaze from our son, and peeks over at me. "Look at me, Chonne, me and the baby. Look at what you've already done. One more push, Mommy, then you can rest, I promise. You can do that, you can do anything. I know you can." Clasping his free arm around my shoulders, he's holding me steady, encouraging me to push.


Acquiescing to his demand, I turn my attention towards Rick and our baby, and observe the way my baby's loud screaming has descended into a quiet mewling and nuzzling against his father's chest. The way my husband is looking between me and the baby, with a smile that's like the sun, bright and full of hope, love. I don't think I've ever seen him so happy, and it spurs me on to dig deep for one more big push. With tears in my tired eyes, I bear down, venturing to bring this long journey to a close.


Immense pain shoots from the soft tissues around my canal, as my other son bursts from me and into the world. "Ahhhhhh!" Is all I can muster, as my body gives in to how depleted I am, worn out. From there things are a blur. I hear Corey exclaim that the last baby is here. I catch a bit of the same buzz of movement from before, I assume extract him from the cloudy water, and clean him up. Crumpled into a heap on Rick's shoulder, now back on my knees and facing him, I can clearly hear Rick's sobs of joy, witness the elation and relief in the tears traveling down his face, onto the heads of the babies, now both snugly together in his arms. Smiling, I'm slipping away, closing my eyes. The last thing I see before giving in to the clawing grasp of unconsciousness are the faces of my babies, and my husband.




Groggily, I wake up in a darkened room. Struggling to fully open my eyes, I try to sit up, but there is a great deal of pain throbbing below, and it sends me reclining back onto the bed. Turning my head left and right, I notice a small twin sized bed next to mine, same as the one I'm in. But in the other, swaddled with two pillows on either side of them, are my babies, my boys. Face down, resting on one of the pillows is Rick, softly snorting, one arm protectively laid over the babies' bodies. Hearing rustling below, I look to the floor and see two familiar lumps that resemble Judith and Carl, asleep, wrapped up in blankets.


Seeing that all of my family is accounted for, I allow sleep to reclaim me, needing its energizing affects.


Startled by the sound of a baby crying, I momentarily forget where I am, what's happening and what's going on.


"Mommy, you're up!" Judith rushes me, and throws her little arms and body around me. Brilliant sun rays are covering the room in a luster that makes everything seem new, heavenly. Weakly returning my little girl's hug, I search the room for the originator of the crying. "Mommy, I'm so glad you woke up! You were sleep a long time. And the babies are here, you missed it." She pouts, poking her lips out momentarily, then continues with another complaint, "And, Daddy won't let me name them Pooh and Piglet because he said those are not good names. I say they are, but Carl said they weren't either, so you have to pick my side, ok?" She finishes all in one long breath.


Caught off guard by her rapid-fire commands, I'm happy to see that Carl and Rick are approaching my bed. Carl leans his tall frame down to give me a gentle hug and kiss, as though I might break apart if he does so too tightly. Hair messy, and still in need of a cut, swipes it from his eyes, and reaches for Judith's hand to lightly tug her away from the bed. "Judes, let's give Mom and Dad a minute to feed the babies. We will be back soon, Mom, we haven't eaten yet, but we figured we would wait until you woke up. Dad was right, you woke up right around 5:30 am."


"It never fails. Morning, baby," Rick greets me with his thick and heavy morning voice, deeper and raspier than his usual heavily southern twang. "Some folks here wanna have breakfast with you if you're up to it." With great care, Rick places each baby in my arms. "Alright, boys, that's your Mommy."


Overwhelmed with happiness, tears cloud my eyes, and quick blink sends them dropping down my face. I'm taking in their tiny faces peeking out of their swaddling blankets. Tinged with just a brush of my own chocolate tone, Rick's nose and my lips, these agitated and hungry boys are a perfect mix of the both of us, in the exact same way. Frowning a bit, trying to make sense of what I'm seeing, Rick's voice cuts in to my thoughts.


"Obviously we don't have names for them yet," He pointedly looks at Judith, who is quietly still pouting over by the door with Carl. "And since they are identical we can only tell them apart so far by this little mole here that Baby A has on his cheek. Other than that, they are exactly the same."


"How wonderfully perfect you two are." I exclaim, falling in love with them even more than when we were all together, sharing my body. Hearing my voice for the first time since being on the outside, they each begin to settle down a little more, as if they recognize me, but continue to scrunch their diminutive mouths into the cutest little pucker.


"I think they're hungry. I gave them a little formula last night, but Corey said it's best if you can breastfeed them if you want to. Either way, it's up to you how you want this to go." Rick tiredly offers, raising his hands above his head in a long stretch.


"Uh yeah, we're definitely gonna leave then before you start pulling body parts out. We'll be back later." Carl comments, rushing out of the room with Judith.


"Do you need anything, Chonne? You hungry? Tara brought some of that decaf green tea you like, or some bread? Folks have been dropping off food and gifts all night."


"I'll take some tea later. Let me see if I can get some milk going for these babies, first. Then you can tell me what happened after the second baby came. I think I passed out." I say, handing one of the babies back to Rick so that I can get situated to try and breast feed. Clearly distracted by me removing my shirt to expose my breasts, Rick is frozen, watching as I place my nipple at the baby's lips to encourage him to latch on. "Rick?" I ask.


"Huh?" He answers, distracted, eyes laser focused on my grasp of my now large breasts, and the pinch of my blackberry colored nipples.


"Well? What happened when the second baby came?" I laugh, watching as my hungry baby boy greedily begins a tentative suckle, that is quickly picking up speed.


"Oh, uh sorry. I've never seen breast feeding before. Lori didn't have much in that area, and said she wasn't interested in it at all. And your breasts are even bigger it seems. Much bigger." He quietly chuckles, amazed by the transformation of my body.


"Here, sit next to me. Tell me what happened after Pooh and Piglet got here." I smirk, amused by the names gifted to the boys by their big sister. I scoot as much as I can in the small bed to make room for Rick and the other baby he's softly rocking, attempting to appease him until he can have his turn to feed.


"Oh no, please don't you start too. Anyway, you did pass out. And for a moment," He stops briefly, a sheepish look on his face, "I panicked. I thought you were dead. But Corey said you were just exhausted. So, he let me cut the babies' cords to their placenta, showed me how to clean 'em up and swaddle them. Then we got you out of the tub, I washed you up, and got you in this bed. That was late last night, and you've been sleep ever since."


"Why do I have so much pain? I don't even want to know what's going on down there." I grumble, smarting from the ache.


"A little tearing. Corey gave you about 4 stitches. Said he'll be in today to talk to you about aftercare and all. But, everything went really well. You did amazing, baby, I'm proud of you." He summarizes, recounting the events of the evening.


"Thanks, Rick. It was much harder than I remembered it being with Andre. Of course your babies would be difficult, just like you, huh?" I teased.


"Am I difficult? I don't think so. You must have me confused with some other guy. But you better not!" Leaning over to steal a playful kiss from my lips, the little one in my arms doesn't appreciate the jostling and opens his eyes. Peeking down at him I realize that he has his father's eyes.


"Do they both have your eyes? I see they have your unruly hair." I jokingly comment, unable to pull my gaze away from my sons' cherubic faces.


"Yeah. My nose too. But you're in there, Mommy. Look at those cheeks, how big their eyes are, and those lips, that's my Chonne in there. Perfection." He grins, that naughty smile crossing his lips. "I told you I would induce your labor, didn't I?"


"Oh please! I think it was Judith walking with me."


"Whatever! So what do you want to name them? Don't you dare say Pooh and Piglet, or Mathias! Woman, you and Judith have terrible taste in names."


"I don't know. How did you name Carl and Judith?"


"I didn't get to name either of 'em. Lori named Carl after her father, and Carl named Judith after an old teacher of his. I'm not creative, whatever you pick is fine with me."


"How about we name the oldest boy Richard after your first name, and the younger boy James after your middle name? That way they both have their father's name and his features."


"You don't have to do that, Chonne," He says, blushing, but clearly flattered.


"I like it. Richard Grimes Jr., and James Grimes it is."


"Thank you, sweetheart. I like it too."












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.