Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 2 – Rick

"What's she like? The lady Hershel is gonna marry?"

"Uh. I don't know. My dad said she's pretty. Real pretty. Nice butt, nice tits. Way too hot for my uncle. She doesn't look as old as he is either, but she's got a daughter who's 18. Cool lady though. She's a doctor for the Hawks."

"Oh yeah? A doctor just like Hershel. I guess that's a good match. My dad said she's black. Never saw that coming, at least not from Hershel."

"Me neither, but shit, hot is hot. She's gotta be knocking his damn socks off for him to get remarried. And he's probably never met a black woman other than Mrs. Jones in his life, and won't know what the hell to do with all that she's working with. Lucky son of a bitch." Shane blurts, looking over at his uncle. A loud guffaw escapes him at the thought of his own lewd comments about his uncle's fiancée, and his uncle's lack of sexual prowess. As usual the heightened degree of ridiculousness of his antics draws attention to us.

Nervously smiling to dismiss the stares we're getting from Shane's rude laughter, I scrunch up my face and respond to his musing. "I don't wanna think about that, man. Why did you say that? Now I'm gonna be thinking about it during this whole wedding! And you say that like you have. How many black women have you met? Talked to let alone actually been with? I'd say your uncle's already got a leg up on you." I grumble, the thought of Hershel's romantic dalliances causing a grimace to cover my face again.

"Whatever. I'm not listening to the guy who was confused about the difference between 1st base and a home run. And lied about both."

"I didn't lie… I was mixed up about which things counted as what. I'm 24 now, I think I've got it figured out." I grouse, smarting at Shane's reference to me misunderstanding the difference between the bases the summer after I turned 16. I wouldn't say I was a late bloomer, but at that age I was definitely not as experienced as Shane, who had already slept with our art teacher, Mrs. Sanders by then.

"Yeah well your reliability ain't stellar, buddy. Anyway, you don't know everything about me, Rick. Remember that summer Morgan's cousin Tanya was here? Yeah, I met her, talked to her, and some other stuff too. So there you go."

"I don't believe you. By the way, you know Morgan said she had a baby the winter after she was here that summer right?"

"Bullshit!"

I shrug, smirking at the revelation.

"Whatever, man, you made that shit up!" He asserts, watching my face to gauge the truthfulness of my words. Giving up, he makes a dismissive snort with his mouth, and focuses back on the wedding. "I'm happy for my uncle. It's all good, though. Add a little color to the family. Her daughter is cool too. I met her last night at the rehearsal dinner. She's hot as fuck, but in a different way. Like not how Lori is hot, but in a more exotic way. She's my cousin now, so I guess that doesn't matter anyway."

"Exotic?" I ask, incredulous at his description of her. "Exotic is not how you describe a person. That's like for an animal or something…not a person, Shane." I shake my head, a little ashamed on his behalf, because god knows Shane doesn't have an ounce of it in his body.

Interrupting our conversation, the sound of the strings quartet playing a slow tune begins, and we quiet our words and turn our heads away from the end of the aisle where Hershel and my dad, and Shane's dad stand waiting on his bride, and look towards the back rows. Sitting amongst a crowd made up of a good chunk of the population of King County, it's a warm spring day, and the brightness of the sun illuminates our surroundings in a light that makes everything seem new. With a balmy, mild breeze making its way across the farm, the afternoon couldn't be more idyllic. Some in the crowd anxiously stare down the aisle, but Hershel stands proud, erect, eagerly looking forward to the arrival of his future.

The first two people coming down the aisle are Hershel's daughters and Shane's cousins, Beth and Maggie, whom I've known all their lives. In pretty white dresses, Beth tosses flowers to the ground, and Maggie follows behind, crunching them under her slippered feet, and clutching a small bouquet of roses. They are adorable as ever, and have grown up quite a bit since I saw them a month or so ago.

Seeing how much they have grown reminds me of the past. When their mother passed away six years ago they were so young, and the way they experienced the loss, individually and as a family was heartbreaking to witness. My dad used to spend a lot of time monitoring Hershel's drinking, making a concerted effort to try and keep him sober enough to still look after his girls. Though he successfully navigated that pitfall, he still needed a great deal of help with them and the farm, and so I spent a lot of time trying to help out with both, while they helped me figure out a few things as well.

At only 18 when Hershel's first wife died, I was desperately adrift in terms of my life ambitions. As a recent high school grad, I did not have the clear cut path some of my peers did. Morgan left for college to become a dentist, heading up north to Ohio to attend some black college his cousin Tanya was also attending. Shane always knew he wanted to be a cop, and went straight to the academy. Me though, I didn't have a clue. I wasn't the best or the worst when it came to school, a strong C student if anything. Given my average educational performance, there was no real desire to continue with such an underwhelming experience. My own father is a farmer, and so was my grandfather, so I was well acquainted with that line of work, and enjoyed the satisfaction of planting something and watching it grow, but wasn't sure if that was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. The idea of trying to figure that out at 18 felt wrong. It was a task I was ill-prepared for, yet the world fully expected it of me.

During the same time, my mother was spending a considerable amount of time at Hershel's helping out with the girls, the house work, and cooking. She mentioned that he could use some help around the farm and so I approached him, and ended up working whatever jobs he had that needed doing, including babysitting. I only have a brother who is 6 years older than I am, so I didn't know much about little girls, but Maggie and Beth made it pretty easy. They were sad and lonely, and well it didn't take a genius to see that what they really needed was a distraction from the heavy weight of mourning and loss that was overwhelmingly perched on such little shoulders. So, when I was around the farm and my work was done, I would take them to the county pool, to the park, you name it. Maggie was older than Beth at 7, and was easier to manage. Beth only being 2 years old, and not potty trained presented a unique challenge I was not prepared for.

Despite the small hiccups, I figured it out along the way and that summer turned out pretty fun. It also sparked in me a desire that I never had before, despite my ongoing relationship with Lori, and that was to one day have a family of my own, a wife, children. Unfortunately, I think my mother and Lori also picked up on that, and that's when they both began pushing ideas of a marriage between Lori and I. Though I was fine dating her, I wasn't interested in marriage then, and I'm not interested now.

The ending of that summer also represented the end of my innocence in a way, and that is what led me to unexpectedly pursue a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, and very recently become a deputy.

Pulling myself away from my memories of that summer, I am back focusing on the wedding procession. Rounding the chairs lined up in the back row, coming up the path from the house, I see a tall, dark skinned woman. For a moment the sun obstructs my view of her, craning my neck left then right, I am able to make her out again, and then her form emerges from the haze of the sun's rays. It's almost ethereal, heavenly maybe, the way she reenters my line of vision, making everything around her disappear. And my god she is stunning. Not exotic. No that word doesn't do her beauty any justice. Even though you can tell she is young, she has a poise about her, an elegance even, something I wouldn't expect to see in an 18-year-old. In a short white strapless dress, her skin is a mix of umber and sepia tones, and the contrast is breathtakingly sexy. She struts up the aisle in a pair of high heeled shoes that delicately cradle her tiny feet, on lean legs, firm with muscled calves. From what I can tell given the short length of the dress, she has equally muscled and tight thighs. Cascading over her dusky shoulders is a long curtain of dark, nearly black, bone straight hair, parted to the side, feathering over her wide coffee colored eyes, and just hitting the angled planes of the middle of her back. Her face is round and cherubic like that of an angel, but she has a set of pouty kissable lips, glossed in a slight reddish hue that are inciting in me all manner of devilish thoughts.

Gawking at her, witnessing the hypnotic swing of her hips and her full rounded bottom, I am initially caught off guard by the assault of her beauty, but now I'm in a full on trance. Only the tingling swell of my cock in my suit pants, and a nudge to the ribs from Shane can pull me from her enticing spell.

"That's the new cousin. Like I said, she's hot." He barely whispers, once again drawing stares as Shane is rarely able to tell the difference between, as my mother likes to call it, his inside or his outside voice. Both of us are awestruck in a way, and I know I can't seem to physically divert my eyes from her. "She goes to some fancy all girls' college in the city. Home for the summer."

"Yeah. She's amazing. She's how old? 18? That's it?" I ask, disbelieving that the woman who just treated us country folk to our very first catwalk, modeling extravaganza, is barely legal.

"Yep. Wait, here comes her mother. Check her out and tell me my uncle Hersh ain't gonna stroke out after a honeymoon of loving from her." He loudly laughs again. This time it is effectively drowned out by a change of the melody delivered by a violin, and the emergence of a soloist who belts out the words to "At Last" by Etta James.

Just as beautiful, but in a more mature and filled out way, Hershel's bride is indeed a sight to behold. In a champagne colored lace dress that just reaches the floor to cover the tops of her feet, she is what my pops would call voluptuous. In total agreement with Shane's previous assessment she indeed possess more butt and boobs than one would expect, especially in a curvy proportion to her overall build, which is a lot more pronounced than most women around here. She glides down the aisle with less of a strut than her daughter, but the gazelle like grace is still there, and I can easily see where her daughter got it from.

A wide smile is on her face, and even though she may physically be too hot for Hershel's muted, salt and pepper haired, older man look, she appears every bit as smitten with him as he is for her. Making it to the end of the aisle, she hands her bouquet to her daughter and turns to Hershel, joyfully taking hold of his outstretched hands.

The ceremony begins, and Shane finally quiets down, turning his attention to the couple saying their vows. I can't say the same for myself though, as my focus is targeted on the daughter. There is something about her. I keep trying to fight it though, as I don't want to be busted by Shane staring at her, but my gaze continues to be drawn back, to travel the length of her form. At one point my eyes wander over her for a moment too long, and she and I make eye contact. Hurriedly I attempt to snatch my eyes away, hoping that from three rows back from the front, she couldn't really tell I was staring. I suspect that I'm not that lucky though, as a nearly imperceptible grin takes over just the corner of her full lips. Gotdamn. Even that little smirk is driving me crazy.


"Dude, why don't you just ask her dance. I won't tell Lori." Shane offers, smirking over at me.

"What?"

"You've been staring at my new little cousin since you saw her at the ceremony. Want me to introduce you? Just remember she's off limits."

"To who? She's off limits to you because she's your cousin. And Lori and I aren't together anymore."

"Oh yeah? I didn't know y'all called it quits again. She still trying to get you down the aisle?"

"Yeah. Her and my mother. I'm not interested."

"That why you keep eye-fucking my new cousin?"

"She's just…there's something about her, she's different. In a good way though, I don't mean that how it sounds."

"I gotcha. She's nothing like your usual. Ya know, like Lori." He teases, continuing to obnoxiously name drop my ex.

Prepared to abolish any more discussion of my on again off again ex-girlfriend, Shane's uncle Hershel, and his new wife approach.

"Boys, it's good to see you. Glad you could make it." Hershel says, clapping Shane on the back, then shaking my hand, broadly smiling at each of us.

"Thank you for inviting me, sir."

"Of course. Let me introduce you guys to my new wife. Mona this is my rascally nephew Shane, Dale's son. He was at the rehearsal last night, but I don't think I got a chance to introduce him to you. And this is my friend Rance Grimes' boy, Rick."

"How nice to meet you both. I'm Mona. Thank you for coming."

"Happy to be invited, ma'am." I answer, scrutinizing her face a little, as it's like looking into her daughter's future. This is definitely what she's going to look like one day.

"Wouldn't have missed it. It's good to see Unc get hitched to such a beauty." Shane winks, flirting in a way that is totally him.

"Awe. Aren't you boys sweet. You know what, hold on. Let me introduce you to my daughter. I haven't seen a whole lot of youngsters her age around here for her to get acquainted with." Turning to look for her daughter in the crowd, I can feel myself tense up at the prospect of her coming over. It's one thing to admire her visage from afar, but I'm not sure that my nerves will allow me not to make a fool out of myself close up.

"You ready, loverboy? Here she comes!" Shane whispers.

"Now listen, you both be nice to my new daughter. I want you both to take her out soon, and show her around, but I won't tolerate any disrespect. I'm not too worried about you, Rick. But, Shane, you keep a civil head about you. None of that wolfish, hot-headed behavior you're known for. Like I told you at the rehearsal last night. She is family, so hands off!" Turning to greet his new daughter as she approaches, Hershel's face relaxes away the tension it held as he was admonishing both Shane and I.

"This is my daughter Michonne. Michonne, you met Shane last night. And this is, Rick. He's Rance's son."

"Hey, Shane. Nice to meet you, Rick." She waves a small hello at Shane, and reaches her hand out towards me to shake in polite greeting. Stricken by how stunning she is up close and personal, I initially miss the socially expected queue for me to shake her hand, and I leave her hanging as I just continue to stare at her.

"Rick, you gonna shake her hand or leave her hanging, dude?" Shane asks on a loud chuckle.

Embarrassed beyond belief, I awkwardly jut my hand out towards her now withdrawn hand. I leave it there for a moment, then finally noticing that she has taken her hand back, I draw mine back as well, as she offers hers again. It's a mortifyingly ridiculous thing to experience at our first introduction, and it must be even more agonizing to watch as her mother lightly laughs it off, Hershel groans, and Shane bursts out in a guffaw that I'm sure the whole reception can hear.

"How about I help you dorks out?" Grabbing my hand and hers, Shane orchestrates a handshake.

With her hand now in mine, I catch the release of a small sigh from her full lips. Lips that my eyes don't want to release the sight of, but I'm momentarily dazed by the feel of her tiny hand in my larger one, and I briefly look into her eyes. Growing warm at the electricity transferred between us when our hands meet, I'm indulging in the grasp of her slender fingers around my hand. Needing to devour all of her, my eyes travel slowly over her eyes and lips, her neck and cleavage, then back to her eyes to see if there is any indication in those dark brown pools that she senses the immediate connection between us. Gifting me with a glimpse of her perfect white teeth, she just smiles confidently and tries to ease her hand from mine, which I'm now clutching on to with both hands eagerly wrapped around her smaller one. Though she gives another small tug, indicating that she still wants her hand back, I am reluctant to release her, and instead raise it to my lips to place a small kiss to her knuckles.

Gathering my wits about me, needing to make up for the handshaking gaffe, I clear my throat and run my tongue across my lips. Finally finding my voice, I speak to her with all the confidence I can muster. "It's my pleasure to meet you, Michonne."

For what seems like forever, there is a pause, a sliver in time where nothing exists but her and I, frozen in this moment together. It feels like I could stay here with her forever. I could live and sustain myself on her wide chocolate gaze. Feast on the elegance of her swan like neck, the high perky swell of her breasts, her lean toned arms and legs. It's a heady trip, to be adrift in such a brief spontaneous encounter. Stranger even, Lori and I have been together romantically off and on since I was 16, and I have never experienced anything so enchanting as this. Not sure what to make of it, hoping that she's sharing the same tingle of awareness, I'm content to fall down this rabbit hole with her and see where it goes.

"Aren't you quite the gentleman!" Her mother exclaims, her eyes bouncing between her daughter and I. Michonne's hand still in mind, the confidence in her stare is now waning with the sound of her mother's voice breaking into our trance.

"Uh. Thank you. I'm gonna get something to drink. Excuse me." Michonne turns and hastily prances away from our little group, once again throwing a mean sway into her hips. Instantly I'm drawn to her retreating figure. Though she's thin, lean and toned, she definitely has a womanly hint of hips and a more rounded bottom than I'm used to. I'm not Shane, and would never use a loaded word like "exotic" to describe a person, but she is something else. Her velvet like skin is so soft, and striking in contrast to my own. I'm not some backwoods hick. I've been exposed to the world, been to college, seen beautiful women before, black and white, but words are not sufficient to describe Michonne, or the strength of the visceral reaction I'm having to her. At this moment I have to fight the indescribable urge to pursue her. To pursue her where ever she has retreated to, and kiss her lips. To run my own lips across her shoulders, down her back. Damn.

Over the speaker system a slow country tune, an oldie that I have heard my mother play many times, draws my attention back to our little gathering. Patsy Cline is belting out "Sweet Dreams" in her strong, lilting twang, backed by a light accompaniment.

"Sweet dreams of you
Every night I go through
Why can't I forget you and start my life anew
Instead of having sweet dreams about you…"

Sweet dreams indeed. Unbeknownst to me, before the music began there was a deep silence hanging over the group, as all eyes were focused on me as I witnessed Michonne's retreat. Clearing his throat, Hershel brings everyone's attention back around. "Well, I'm going to take my new bride for a spin on the dance floor. Mona, will you do me the honor?"

"Of course. See you later, boys." She waves with a flutter of her fingers.

"Man, what the hell was that?" Shane questions, a look of shock and concern in his furrowed brows.

"What do you mean?"

"That whole weird thing with Michonne. You just eye-fucked her in front of her damn parents man!"

"No I didn't. I just introduced myself."

"Man! Come on, let's get a drink so you can cool off. I ain't never seen you behave like that. Get yourself together, or you're gonna scare her coming on so strong. Shit, she's only 18, Rick!"

"I didn't mean to scare her. She's just…I was caught off guard is all." In a bit of a panic now, I run my hand down my face, growling at the thought that I might have come off as pervy or weird. Shit.

"Yeah, well, get your shit together, playboy. You was moonin' over her like you've never had a sniff before. And I know Lori's been givin' you plenty of sniffs, so just play it cool."

"Shut up! Why you keep bringing up Lori? I told you that is over. I'm done with her." I swipe my hand across my neck to signify that relationship is finally dead.

"Yeah. I heard that before."


"You know I take dance lessons now, Rick. My daddy says that's why I'm such a good dancer." Beth proudly proclaims as she moves about in a series of rather clumsy stomps, mixed in with a few claps and pops of her fingers.

"Oh yeah? Well you are indeed a good dancer, Beth." I agree, commending her on her moves.

"Watch this!" She twirls around, and the skirt of her dress billows out like a bell around her little legs. Spinning, over and over, she becomes unsteady on her feet. Giggling and giddy, just about to whirl to the ground, I lunge out to grab her, but Michonne comes up and catches her before she falls.

"Easy there, little sister." Michonne grins down at her, hugging her close to calm her down some.

Nearly hysterical with laughter, Beth is red-faced, and maybe just a little embarrassed. Taking easily to her new sister's affections, Beth hugs her back though. The song changes up from the old Tim McGraw song that I can't really remember the name of, and moves into a slow paced R&B song that I'm definitely not familiar with.

"Awe, this song is too old and slow to dance to." Beth scrunches her face in disgust. Cute as a button, with her hair now wild and falling free from her bun, her grin showcasing her missing front tooth, Beth eases out of Michonne's arms. "But you guys could dance to it together."

"Uh, Rick is probably tired from dancing already." Michonne stutters.

"Rick is not." I reply, offering my hand to her, beckoning her towards me and hoping to charm her into accepting.

Wordlessly she secures my hand in her own and proceeds to wrap her arms around my neck, her hands loosely draped at the nape. With my own arms snuggly wrapped around her petite waist, itching to gravitate further south, I'm holding her firmly against me. Guiding her in a side to side sway to the music, I'm inhaling the sweet scent of her perfume, light and airy on her skin.

"You were meant for me
No one else could come between this love, I know
Cause I'll never let you go

You and me...it seems
Never have a problem we can't overcome
Cause you'll always be the one

Never thought I'd be so happy
Loving you has made feel so fine
I can see my friends turn green with envy
Everytime I tell them, I'm so glad you're mine

The hopeful, romantic lyrics float between us, as I delight in the feel of her against me, unreasonably relating to the meaning of the words. It has gotten later in the day, and with dusk's emergence, the lights draped around the dance floor cast an ambient glow that make this whole scene feel as though it's been snatched from a movie. I'm almost giddy to have her in my arms now, to have the opportunity to get closer to this woman. A woman that has caught me so off guard, and not just with her physical beauty, but her presence. More than any woman I have ever met, she has a self-assured and confident way about her that is simply beguiling. Needing to hear her voice, I initiate conversation.

"Thanks for catching Beth. I almost had her, but you kinda swooped in and saved the day before I got a chance." It's a weak conversation starter, but it's all I could think of on the fly.

"Mmhm. I think she has a little crush on you." Her response is brief, but presents me with the perfect opening to engage her further.

"Really? What makes you think that?" I question, amused by her declaration.

"She told me you were cute. Doesn't get any more direct than that." She shrugs. Shorter than me, and with her head turned to the side, it is difficult to gauge her reaction to the conversation. So I cling to the crisp enunciation of her words, colored with just the slightest hint of a southern inflection.

"Hm. What do you think?"

"About?" Briefly glancing up at me, she furrows her brow in confusion.

"Beth's assessment."

"I see no lies." She succinctly answers, and her shoulders bounce with the light accompanying chuckle. With the tiniest of smiles, she turns her head away from me, and once again silence envelopes us. Feeling hopeful and encouraged at her veiled compliment, I keep talking.

"This is a nice song. I think I've heard it before."

"What do you know about Donny Hathaway?" She asks, returning her pretty face up towards me. With her manicured eyebrow quirked, and her lips pursed in question, I am momentarily tripped up again, and nearly forget to answer her.

"My friend Morgan Jones, his dad plays a lot of old music like this at their house. I'm…familiar."

"Ah, the Jones family. The only black family in King County." She knowingly asserts.

"You know them?"

"Why would I know them? You think all black people know each other?"

"No! You just-" My staggered attempts at answering are cut off by her light laughter, and I realize she is making fun of me. Rubbing my hand down my cheek, scratching at the stubble, I can feel my face growing bright red for the second time today. How is it she seems to keep doing this to me?

"Ha ha. You got me."

"I did. Beth and Maggie told me about them. You, Morgan, and Shane all grew up together, huh?"

"Yeah. We've been friends for as long as I can remember. Anyway, what do you think of King County so far?" Not wanting to hog the conversation, and really just wanting to get to know her better, and hear more of the alluring timbre of her voice, I send the questions back her way.

"It's different from Atlanta, obviously, but I won't be here that much. I'll be back at school in August. My cousin Sasha and I are going to get an apartment near campus. Dorm life is not for me." She informs, shaking her head slightly, obviously disturbed at the thought of living in the dorms again.

"I heard you were in college at…Spelman, right?"

"You were asking about me?" Tilting her head up, delicate chin raised, she's blinking those dark eyes at me in a seductive, teasing manner. I don't feel teased though, at least not in the way she probably intended to.

"Maybe."

"Why would you do that? Something about me interesting to you? You see something you like, Rick?" Michonne smirks her red glossed lips. I want to taste those lips so bad. Licking my tongue over my own I recognize her actions and words for what they are. I realize that she isn't just harmlessly teasing me, she's flirting.

Nodding my head slowly I save my words, afraid that I will blurt out my true desires to this stranger.

"My boyfriend might have something to say about that."

"I'm not interested in him so why would he care?" I flirt back, emboldened by the inebriating effect of her coquettish demeanor.

"Doesn't matter. I heard you have a girlfriend anyway." She leans her head to the side, her eyes roaming over my face.

"You been asking about me?"

"Maybe."

"Something about me interesting to you? You see something you like, Michonne?" Using her own words, I'm desperate with anticipation to hear her answer. While the presence of a boyfriend is unfortunate, there is something about this connection with her that won't allow me to back away from her. To take my foot off the gas. Biting down on my bottom lip I await her answer, the expectancy of her delayed answer is killing me.

Briefly looking away, as if giving my question some serious thought, she slowly recaptures my eyes, and hesitantly responds. "Yes."

Her admission drops from her lips, sugary sweet as candy. The win is short lived though, as our dance is broken up by the deep, imposing voice and presence of a well built black guy.

"Hey baby, here you are. Sorry I'm so late. I just got back to town."

Hastily stepping back from me as if caught doing something she shouldn't, she releases me from her grasp. Michonne turns to the man, and gifts to him the brightest smile I have ever seen grace her face, reaching all the way to her eyes. Immediately I'm jealous that it's not directed at me, and confused as to why it isn't.

"Mike! I'm glad you could make it!" Embracing him, she plants a quick kiss to his lips. They are creating a little world for themselves right before my eyes, and I don't like it one bit. In the pit of my stomach an ache has begun, and now its radiating out to seize the rest of my body in a painful swath of discomfort. About to walk away, to avoid the sight of her in his arms, and make some effort to hang on to the magical moment she and I just shared, I turn on my heels but catch the introduction thrown my way from this guy, Mike.

"How you doing? I'm Mike, Michonne's boyfriend." Offering me his outstretched hand, I grasp it, making sure my grip is firm and steady.

"Rick."

"Thanks for keeping my girl company until I could get here. My Michonne likes to dance. Don't you, baby?" Standing long and lean over her, he places a kiss to her temple that transforms the ache into a ball of fire. Staring directly at me, he's laying his claim on her, and I can't say that I blame him. If she were mine, I wouldn't take kindly to some guy trying to take her from me. Because that's exactly what I was trying to do.

Noticing that Mike and I are locked in a stare, Michonne tries to lighten the tense scene, and responds to his probably rhetorical question.

"I do like to dance. You got me." Fidgeting a bit under the tight hold Mike has around her waist, Michonne moves away from him a little, and gestures to me. "Rick and his family live at the next farm over. Um… Anyway, thanks for the dance, Rick. Mike, why don't we go get you something to eat, let my mom know you're here?" Michonne pleads, attempting to break up this impromptu confrontation.

"Sure. Nice meeting you, Rick." Mike turns her away from me, and they begin to walk off. But just as I'm losing faith in her earlier admission of interest, and the connection I felt with her, Michonne turns her head, and makes eye contact with me. Gifting me with one of her dazzling smiles, I'm back on her hook.


"Met her boyfriend, huh?"

"Yeah."

"Saw you dancing with her. Does that mean you and Lori are finished?" My dad questions, taking an easy sip of his bourbon.

"Yeah. That's been done, Pop. Her and mom were trying to push me into a marriage I don't want. No, I'm done with her."

"I saw Lori coming out of your apartment in the pole barn last month, so I didn't know if you guys were getting that band back together or not…"

"Nope. That was a last time, shouldn't have even happened, kinda thing. I'm serious."

"I gotcha, son. Just remember that sex complicates and can confuse things. Emotions. You may be done, but she might not be. Be a man and be clear about what you want, or don't want, and stick to it this time. Got it?"

"Yes, sir. I do. I'm not ready to get married, especially not to Lori." I explain, feeling a little ashamed that my father busted me in a moment of weakness.

Lori did pop up at my apartment in the pole barn on my family's farm last month. I did sleep with her. I hadn't been with her or anyone in months, and I hate to admit it but shit, I needed an itch scratched. Why did I do that though? With her. She called me everyday for a week straight, my attempts to ignore her not effective at all. Finally, I was forced to answer one of those calls and remind her that a hookup in the middle of a non-relationship, that is already broken up, doesn't count as us being back together. As expected, that was met with tears and hollering, all on her part.

I can't blame anyone but myself for that, and since then I have been successful in staying away from her. And thankfully she hasn't miraculously shown up at my job or my apartment since, both of which she has been known to do.

"And the dancing?" My dad brings the conversation back to the reception, and me dancing with Michonne. "Seemed intense."

"Just trying to get to know Hershel's new daughter is all. She seems nice."

"She's pretty. Very pretty. Her mother too."

"Yeah"

"Different."

"Huh?"

"You heard me, Rick."

"Yes, sir, I did. But I don't understand that last bit." I replied to my father, clearly confused about what he means when he says 'different'.

"What I mean, son, is that just because she is different than what you are used to, doesn't mean you get to live out some fantasy at her expense. Understand me now?"

"Yes, sir, I do. I would never be so callous, you raised me better than that. My interest, attraction, to her is not wayward. I think she's pretty, stunning actually. And I want to get to know her better. Just like I would with any other pretty girl."

"Ok. She's now the daughter of my best friend. And she's younger than you are. Basically, I'm saying don't be a dipshit, ok? Be respectful, and mindful of your manners, son."

"Yes, sir."

"But the boyfriend… Now that's a problem."

"Not really. I think she likes me. I'll just play it by ear for now, but I'm not worried. Gonna ask her to lunch tomorrow."

"Moving fast. Good luck. I guess I will have to tell your mama to let go of her dreams of Lori being her daughter in law then."

"Absolutely."












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.