Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

John tells Evangeline and Natalie something that he has kept secret from the both of them.  How will they react and where will that leave Evangeline and John?




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

ILLUMINATION

 

 

Chapter 1

 

 

After my talk with Nora about my breakup with John I decide to go to his apartment and return his key.  The door was ajar and so I walk in and find him hugging Natalie.  I tell Natalie that she didn’t waste any time cuddling up to ex-boyfriend and as usual she has some nasty response.  Once again John tries to defend Natalie and I’ve had enough of it.  John turns to Natalie and tells her that he’s not her soul mate and tells me that he can’t change for me.  So there it’s said.  He’s not the one for me.  I turn to leave but he shouts for me to stay because there is something that he has to tell both of us.  

 

“John I don’t think that there is anything more to say.  You just told me that you wouldn’t change for me.  I already broke up with you so what else is there to say?”

 

“John just let her go.  I don’t care what you say you and I have a connection. Evangeline is just jealous that we have so much in common and she doesn’t understand you like I do.”

 

To my surprise John responds to Natalie’s comment about their so-called connection.

 

“Natalie I don’t agree with you.  Yes we both grew up in Atlantic City and yes we both lost people we loved but Evangeline and I have more in common than you and I have.  We both had loving parents, we both worked hard to make it in our chosen careers, we both lost our fathers, and even though she didn’t grow up in the grit of a big city her life wasn’t easy either but she worked hard in school and made a life for herself.  She cares for people whereas you only seem to care for yourself.”

 

“That’s not true John I care for you.  If she doesn’t want you I want you.”

 

“Okay this has to stop.  Both of you please just wait here for a moment I have something to show you.”John says as he goes to his bedroom.

 

I stand there having no idea what he plans to do.  I just want to get this over with so that I can leave.  John returns and has an envelope in his hand.

 

“Months ago when the John Doe confessed to killing Tico Santi I had a DNA test conducted to prove that the John Doe was not Christian Vega.  The results came back the same day that John Doe was sentenced.”

 

“John we know that John Doe is not Christian so why are you bringing this up now?” Natalie interrupts him.

 

I stand there now realizing that what John has in his hand is the DNA report that proves that John Doe IS Christian Vega and John has known this for months.  I don’t say anything.  I wait for John to finish his little speech.

 

“You’re wrong Natalie.  This DNA report proves that John Doe is Christian Vega. When I read the report months ago I went to Statesville and confronted John Doe.  He already knew.  Christian’s memory had returned and he knew who he was.  He asked me not to tell anybody, especially you. He didn’t want you to wait for him.  He didn’t want you to put your life on hold while he was in prison.  He wanted you to have a life.  I didn’t tell anyone.”

 

Natalie sits on the couch, dumbfounded by John’s revelation.  After a few moments she says,

 

“All of this time John why didn’t you tell me? I had a right to know that my husband is alive.  Did you keep this a secret so that you could have me?”

 

“Natalie how could you think that I kept this a secret so that I could have you.  Have I tried to have a relationship with you in all of these months?”

 

“No but that’s because you were with Evangeline but every time I called for your help you came so I thought that you wanted me and only stayed with her so you wouldn’t hurt her feelings.”

 

“Natalie if I wanted to be with you I would have been with you.  Staying with Evangeline and wanting to be with you would hurt her feelings more. No I didn’t do this to be with you I did this because Christian asked me to and after all of the harm that I caused him I thought that it was the least that I could do for him.  He almost died and was kidnapped and brainwashed because I got you two involved in that sting operation.  If neither of you were involved you would be together now. This was all my fault.”

 

“I don’t blame you John.  It wasn’t your fault that the sting went wrong.”

 

“I disagree Natalie but that’s not the point now.  Christian is alive. You are a married woman.”

 

“So if I wasn’t married would you want me then?”

 

“What are you saying Natalie?  Your husband is alive isn’t that what should concern you?”

 

“You didn’t answer my question John. Suppose I don’t want to go back to Christian would you want to be with me?”

 

“No Natalie.  We tried to make a go of it after Christian died and it didn’t work.  I think that it didn’t work for a reason.  I told you then that I needed time but you didn’t want to wait.”

 

“Yes John you did and not soon after that you got involved with Evangeline.  I asked you this evening if you loved her but you didn’t answer.  You did say that you want her back but you didn’t say that you loved her but you told me when we were in the forest that you couldn’t lose someone else that you loved.  You love me John.  You don’t love her.”

 

“Yes Natalie I love you but not as a soul mate.  After we thought that Christian had died I felt responsible for you.  I had caused your unhappiness and so I felt that I should look out for you.  When Christian asked me to keep his secret I felt even more obligated to look out for you.  I love you like that.”

 

“I don’t understand that John.  Just answer me flat out do you love me and if you don’t why did you say that you did?  I know you probably won’t tell the truth just because Evangeline is standing here but I don’t care if she is tell me John so that we both can hear it.”

 

“Yes I love you Natalie but I am not in love with you.  There is a difference.”

 

“That makes no sense to me John.  Either you love me or you don’t.”

 

“That’s the only way that I can explain it Natalie.  I love you but I am not in love with you.  I don’t love you enough to be in a relationship with you.  I am not the one for you.  Now you have the information about Christian you can do with it what you please. That’s all that I have to say on the matter.”

 

During the conversation between John and Natalie I just stand there listening to them. Once John finishes his speech I ask to see the report.  He hands it to me.  I read it over and then return it to him.  I turn to walk out of his apartment.

 

“So now you have what you want Evangeline. John is all yours.”

 

Not wanting to dignify Natalie’s little snide remark with an answer I gracefully make it to the door and start to exit.  As I cross the threshold I hear John asking me to wait.

 

“Evangeline please wait.  I want to talk to you.  Natalie you can go now.”

 

“Why do I have to leave?  Evangeline heard our conversation why can’t I hear yours with her?”

 

“Natalie I said that you can leave for your benefit.  If you decide to stay you make hear things that you don’t want to hear.”

 

“I prefer to stay John.”

 

“Suit yourself.”

 

Standing in the doorway I turn around to face the two of them and simply say,

 

“John whatever you have to say I don’t want to hear it.  All that I need to know I learned from this DNA report.  I will make a suggestion to you though.  You should retain a lawyer because soon you will probably find yourself facing obstruction of justice and withholding evidence charges.  Also once Antonio learns that you knew all along that his brother has been wasting away in prison unjustly he will probably come after you too.  Goodbye John.  Oh and Natalie, he’s all yours.”

 

 

With that I turn and leave and make it to my car and drive away hurriedly not giving John the time to run after me to try to change my mind.

 

 

To be continued…?

 

A/N: I’m open to suggestions as to which direction this should go.  I already have at least two possibilities.  As I have said repeatedly I write stories for my own enjoyment but I thought that with this story I might ask the readers for suggestions.  It might work for me and it might not. 






Chapter End Notes:

Who knows which direction I will take on this story.  Thnx for reading and do leave a review.  Give me your suggestion on a possible course for the plot.  I may not use your suggestion but it will prove interesting what the readers might suggest.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.