LIMITS by Little Tree
Summary:

 

  I love I love I love
This dream of going upstream
I love I love I love
All the trouble that you give me

-Feist - "The Limit to Your Love"


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Friendship, Romance
Story Status: Completed
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Sexual Content , Strong Sexual Content , Work in Progress
Challenges: They're Playing Our Song Challenge
Challenges: They're Playing Our Song Challenge
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 3213 Read: 3447 Published: 08/02/10 Updated: 08/02/10
Story Notes:

 

 

Chapter 1 by Little Tree
Author's Notes:

DISCLAIMER: This is an original story and all characters and plot are the property of Little Tree. The lyrics are from "The Limit to Your Love" by Feist. There's also a James Blake cover of this song.. No copyright infringement is intended.

***

Clouds part
Just to give us a little sun

 

Jacob woke up to the sound of rain pounding on his bedroom windows. Luna was cuddled up next to him, lying on her side, with her arm slung across his stomach. He felt the urge to wake her up so that they could make love again but a glance at the glowing alarm clock on the side table told him that it was three in the morning. His girl certainly deserved her sleep after their last session and how enthusiastic and generous she had been with her body. A soft sigh escaped Luna’s pouty lips and he leaned down to drop a kiss to her forehead before pulling her more tightly into his arms and arranging the covers over her. 

“You okay?”

“Yeah, just listening to the rain.”

“Mmm,” she pressed a sleepy kiss to his heart. “Love you.”

“I love you too, babygirl.”  Pretty soon her breathing had evened out again and Jacob could tell that she was asleep.  

 

There's a limit to your love
Like a waterfall in slow motion
Like a map with no ocean
There's a limit to your love

 

She was staring at him with a look he had never seen before. It was a combination of shock, hurt, and something else that he couldn’t quite identify. Luna was the first to break their eye contact. She did so by turning away from him and covering her face with her hands. It was the posture of defeat.  Jacob could see the soft shaking of her shoulders as she tried to take steadying breaths.

 “What are you thinking, baby?” Jacob asked from the other side of kitchen counter. He forced himself to stay where he was even though his body yearned to touch her – to comfort her. Luna hated to be touched by someone she was angry with. She said it confused her body and heart.

 “I’m hurt,” Luna’s hands swiped at her eyes, rubbing away any moisture. “Jacob, how could you do that to me?”

 “I was out of options, Luna.” He leaned against the counter. “Adán knows that I’m hiding something from him and he knows that you -.”

“So what?” Luna interrupted. “Why are you so afraid of hurting my brother?”

Jacob knew that any answer he gave her wouldn’t be the right one because what she was really asking was why he wasn’t afraid of hurting her. “Babygirl...”

Luna moved stiffly away from the counter and into the living room where she had deposited her coat and purse. Jacob watched as she readied herself for the cold outside, all the while trying to think of something to say that would ease her pain and give her comfort.

 Luna turned to face him once again but this time her face was an emotionless mask. This scared Jacob more than her silence.  “What time am I supposed to go on this blind date with – this guy?”

 “Victor. The reservation is for eight.” The words were sour in his mouth. “At Spice.”

 “How will I know it’s him?”

It was Jacob’s turn to cover his face with his hands. “Adán gave him a picture of you.” He heard her sharp intake of breath. Heard her feet moving to the door and just before it clicked shut behind her, he heard her sniffle. 

Jacob was sure that he had reached a new low that night. As eight rolled around, his stomach started to ache. If only Luna had yelled at him. If only she had told him what an asshole he was being. She should have told him that this was the final indignity that she would suffer because of him.  But Jacob had known all along that she would do what he asked. She cared too much about him, and his friendship with Adán, to cause any trouble or raise any suspiscions. 

 Jacob’s phone vibrated in his pocket and he reached for it.

One new text message from Luna: I love you.

Even when she was hurt, his girl knew just how to comfort others.

 

 There's a limit to your care
So carelessly there
Is it truth or dare
There's a limit to your care

 

The bar was crowded with friends and Adán had an almost permanent grin on his face. Tonight was supposed to be a celebration for him and Jacob; their documentary had been accepted into its first major festival. There was only one thing that was keeping the night from being perfect and that was Jacob’s solemn mood. His best friend had always been reserved, and Adán was used to that, but on a night like this one, he knew there had to be another reason for his pensive expression.

 “What’s wrong, man?” Adán leaned against the wall next to the other man.

 Jacob smiled and shook his head. “Nothing.”

 “You’re a shitty liar,” Adán took a sip of beer. A strange look cam over Jacob’s face and for a second Adán thought that he was going to say something in response but the look passed and Jacob only shrugged.

 “Where’s Leah?” Jacob glanced around looking for Adán’s girlfriend. “I haven’t seen any of the girls yet.”

 “Leah had to cover for another yoga instructor so she’s going to be late. I think Susan might be up front with that girl Karla, you know the one from Luna’s job.” Adán pointed to the far end of the bar. “And Luna and Victor are over there.” He turned to Jacob with a sly grin. “When's the last time you saw her looking so relaxed? I think she might really be into him.”

 “Maybe,” Jacob offered noncommittally as he eyed the pair. It was true, she did look relaxed.

 “I know that sometimes I can be overprotective of her,” Adán paused and tried to find the right words. “I mean, you know what I’m talking about, you’ve got a little sister too.”

 “Yeah…” Jacob nodded his head and thought of Maggie. His sister was just starting to date and the idea of it wasn’t sitting well with him. “But Maggie is in high school.”

 Adán grinned sheepishly. “I know, I know. And Luna and I are twins so my older brother act is a little misguided but I don’t really care.” He gestured to Luna again. “That girl is special and I would kill any dude who did wrong by her.”

 “I know.” Jacob’s stomach was starting to hurt again.  He knew better than anyone else just how protective Adán could be when it came to his sister.  

Jacob remembered a time when they had been just eight years old laying side by side on the carpet of the Ventura’s family room while watching cartoons. Normally, Luna would have been with them, curled up on the old couch drawing in her notebook while the boys watched their shows but Jacob could tell that Luna was in a bad mood the moment that he came over. She’d opened the door, given him a thoughtful look, and then took off up the stairs. A moment later he heard her door slam. On a commercial break, Jacob decided to ask Adán what was bothering his twin.

 “Greg Johnson told her that she’s ugly.” Adán shrugged his shoulders. “If he don’t apologize tomorrow, I’m going to hit him.”

Jacob thought about this a moment. “Greg never says sorry.”

Adán shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t care. He can’t tell my little sister that she’s ugly. She’s not ugly, she’s just a girl.”

“No she’s not ugly.” Jacob said simply. “I think I will hit him too.”

“Good.” Adán patted Jacob’s shoulder approvingly.

It had been the first of their many trips to the principal’s office and Jacob’s first lesson on how far Adán would go to protect his sister.

I love I love I love
This dream of going upstream
I love I love I love
The trouble that you give me
I know I know I know
That only I can save me
I'll go I'll go I'll go
Right down the road

Luna woke to sun beaming through the sheer curtains of her bedroom windows and soft kisses on her shoulder. “What time is it?”

“Almost noon,” Was the gravelly response. “What time is brunch?”

Luna turned in Jacob’s arms and sighed softly. His body felt so warm and comforting next to hers that she didn’t even want to think about moving. She snuggled against his chest and waited another moment before answering his question. “Susan asked everyone to be there at 1:30.”

Jacob leaned down and pressed a kiss to her forehead. “That doesn’t give us much time.”

“No, it doesn’t.” She agreed. Luna ran a hand over Jacob’s well-muscled chest before pressing a kiss over his heart. “I wish we could just skip it and stay in bed all day. I’ve missed you so much.”

“Me too, babygirl.” Jacob groaned as her hands slipped lower to toy with the waistband of his boxers. “I can’t think of anything I’d rather be doing today than you.”

Luna giggled at his response but sat up reluctantly. “But then they’d send a search party and can you imagine my brother’s surprise if he were to find us in such a compromising position?”

Jacob shot her a withering look and almost immediately started to get out of bed. Part of Luna wanted to kick herself for mentioning Adán and ruining the mood between them – things were finally getting back on track. The other part wanted to make Jacob have this conversation with her, even if it would end in her feelings being hurt.

Luna ran her fingers through her wild tangle of hair while she watched Jacob move around her bedroom, collecting his discarded clothing. How much longer could they keep this up?

There's a limit to your love
Like a waterfall in slow motion
Like a map with no ocean
There's a limit to your love
Your love your love your love

 Luna returned to her desk after a quick lunch with some of her coworkers. The first thing that she did was check her e-mail. She responded quickly to the messages from the office in China regarding the proper colors to be used on one of her designs. Afterwards, Luna reached for her phone to listen to her voicemail.

“Hey babygirl, I was going through some of my things and I found all those photos that I took of you the summer we turned thirteen. I’m, uh, looking at that one from the day we first kissed. You’re wearing the ratty yellow bathing suit that you loved so much and your overalls and some muddy garden boots. I thought you looked so beautiful.  I, um… you know that I love you, right? I just don’t know what do. But I love you, Luna. I always have.”

It physically hurt her to listen to the turmoil and indecision in Jacob’s voice. Didn’t he realize that they’d been keeping secrets from everyone for more than ten years? Didn’t it break his heart the way it did hers?

I can't read your smile
It should be written on your face
I'm piecing it together
There's something out of place

Luna stepped out of the shower and reached for her terry cloth bathrobe. The pounding on the front door had interrupted what was supposed to be a long relaxing shower. Her day had consisted of a never-ending series of errands and meetings all over New York. To make a difficult day more frustrating, Luna had been wearing her newest pair of suede heels, which were highly impractical, especially given the flash rainstorm in the afternoon. All she wanted to do was relax now.

Leaving a trail of wet footprints behind her, Luna scrambled to the door, tying her bathrobe tightly. “I’m coming.”

A quick peep through the keyhole revealed Jacob on the other side.

Luna grinned and opened the door. “I should have known it was you.” She turned on her heel and started towards the kitchen. “Did you finish work early or something? I thought you weren’t going to be free until late tonight.”

“Or something,” Jacob closed the door behind him and glanced around. “Is anyone here?”

“Adán and Leah will be here soon. He told me that you all have been working on a new project, something about–” Luna was just about to open the refrigerator when she felt Jacob’s arms wrap around her waist and pull her closer into him.

He moved her wet hair to the side of her neck and planted a kiss there. “How much time do we have?” She could feel the unmistakable manifestation of his desire pressing into her back.

“Not that much,” Luna moaned softly. She knew it was wrong but she couldn’t help her hips from instinctually grinding back against his.

Jacob’s trail of kisses led straight to her ear. “Do you want me to stop?” He whispered, his hands tugging at the knot on her robe. “Or do you like it when I touch you?” His left hand found one of her sensitive nipples and played with the pinkish brown tip until it was hard and she was quivering under his touch.

“Jacob…” Luna groaned “Adán is-“

“Stop talking about him.”

 Jacob pushed her so that she was bent over, holding onto the counter.  He pulled the robe up and spread her legs with one of his own. “You want this, don’t you, babygirl?”

“Jacob…” Luna did want him to continue but the threat of their friends walking in at any moment had her heart thundering in her chest.

“You’re dripping wet and I know you’re ready,” Jacob nipped her neck causing her to shudder.

“I just got out the shower.” Luna willed herself to pull away from him but her limbs wouldn’t move.

Jacob’s right hand started to slide down her stomach, outlining the curves of her body. “Oh really, Luna…” His hand cupped her sex and he laugh. “Is that your story?”

“Yes…” She moaned arching her back against him and grinding her pussy into his hand.

Jacob pressed his middle finger against her clit- flicking it hard and causing her to cry out. “I don’t know, Luna, it feels like you’re hot and sticky for me.”

“Jacob,” Luna groaned. “Please…”

“Please what?” Jacob growled. “What do you want, Luna?”

“You…only you. Always”

I love I love I love
This dream of going upstream
I love I love I love
All the trouble that you give me
I know I know I know
That only I can save me
I'll go I'll go I'll go
Out on the road

“I think that’s everything,” Luna grinned as she zipped up her travel bag. “I can’t believe I’m actually leaving.” She glanced around her bedroom, surveying it. Everything was put away in the proper place, where it would stay for the next two weeks. The only thing that was askew, were the two unhappy looking men sitting on her bed.

“Well, you’re not really leaving,” her twin was the first to speak up. Adán’s eyes and were narrowing with determination. “You’re going to Italy for two weeks, it’s a vacation.”

“It’s not a vacation,” Luna insisted. She shook her head and glanced over at Jacob, who had his eyes trained on the ground. “I’m meeting with the staff out there and trying to figure out if I want to accept the job offer. I’ll be working, meeting people, and looking at housing. It’s not a vacation.”

“Do you realize how ridiculous this is?” Adán asked. He shook his head back at her. “You can’t just pick up and move to Europe.”

“Says the guy who travels for a living,” Luna stood up and ruffled her brother’s dark brown curls. His response was to glare back at her.

“That’s different,” Adán insisted. “Jake and I travel but we always come back. We always come back to New York and we always come back to you.”

Luna sighed and went to her closet and started idly flipping through her hangers, just to have something to do. “Adán, you’re moving in with Leah and my bet is the two of you will be married within the year. You’ve got to face the facts; we’re not little kids anymore. What’s here for me?”

Adán glanced over at Jacob, giving him an opportunity to speak up but the other man never did. “Luna, we need you here.”

“Evidently not,” Luna laughed lightly but on the inside she felt hurt. She knew that Adán would miss her but ultimately he wanted her to be happy, even if that was in Italy. But Jacob had been strangely indifferent about things since she’d announced the news. He wasn’t even pretending to argue with her for Adán’s sake. “Okay, the cab is going to be here any moment. Any last requests? Things you want me to bring back?”

Jacob’s cell phone started to ring then and he jumped at the sound. “Sorry, it’s my Mom, I’ll be right back.” Luna watched him walk out of her bedroom before turning back to her unhappy brother.

“Adán, I’m going to miss you but this is just something that I need to do. I can’t just tag along with you for the rest of my life. Leah will get sick of me.”

Adán stood up and pulled his sister into a tight hug. “No she won’t, she loves you, possibly more than she loves me.”

“True,” Luna giggled and pulled back a bit so that she could look up at her brother’s face. “You’re so lucky to have someone like her. She would do anything for you. I want that.”

“I know,” Adán nodded. “I want that for you too Luna, I just don’t think you need to go to Italy to find it.”

Luna pushed some errant curls back from her face. “That’s not why I’m going. I’m stuck in a bad routine here and I need some time away to sort out my life.”

 Because there is no limit
There's no limit
No limit no limit no limit
Limit to my love

Adán watched his sister’s taxi pull away from the curb and into traffic before he turned to his best friend. “I didn’t think you were really going to let her go.”

 “What?” Jacob looked at him with a startled expression.

 Adán shook his head and handed him a small envelope. “She left this for you.”

 Jacob thanked him quietly.

 “Look, I don’t know what’s going on between you two but you’ve got two weeks to figure it out or I think she really will leave.” Adán gave Jacob a hard stare before turning and heading towards the subway.

 

Jacob saved the envelope until much later that evening. Alone in his bed, surrounded by Luna’s scent and missing the heat of her body, he took it out, shocked to find a photograph inside. It’s of the three of them – he and Adán are on either side of Luna, kissing her smiling cheeks. They’re probably six in this photo.  On the back, he finds a message written in her neat scrawl.

 

Jacob, 

There’s no limit to my love. 

Luna

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Hope you enjoyed this piece - I'm thinking of expanding it further.

Feeback is always appreciated!

xxo,

Little Tree

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=948