Venus by LoveisPudding
Summary:  Photobucket

This is the rather unorthodox story of the loves of a man named, Mars Nicasio. What makes his story so unorthodox is not Mars himself so much as the women whom surround his life. Each woman making a pivital inpact on his otherwise mundane life.

 


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: Original Character(s)
Classification: General
Genre: Comedy , Friendship, Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: Female/Female, Male/Female
Warnings: Adult Situations, Extreme Language, Femslash, Fluff, Original Characters, Sexual Content , Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 7442 Read: 8908 Published: 22/11/10 Updated: 16/12/10
Story Notes:

This is an original work of fiction. The story and and characters all belong to the author. Though this story is overall a romance it's not straight forward in the sense of boy mets girl 1 and girl 2 and ends up with either one, so you've been warned.

This is a quirky story with quirky characters and will have a little narration in the beginning of each chapter. I was getting bored of regular stories as I myself am a quirky person and so I decided I'd write a quirky story.

I will (hopefully) update weekly :)

1. Beginning credits and Narration by LoveisPudding

2. Ellie by LoveisPudding

3. Maya: Part 1 by LoveisPudding

Beginning credits and Narration by LoveisPudding
Author's Notes:
Please excuse the terrible abuse of the word typical. Thank you.

 Photobucket Photobucket

  Photobucket  Ellie

 

Our story begins on a typical day, in a typical sandwich shop in the not so typical city of San Francisco. Sunlight shined through the two large windows that engulfed the front of the bustling store filled with the archetypal worker stopping by to pick up their lunch from the sandwich counter, but today was not a archetypal day for Mars Nicasio.

Mars was--although he tried to say he was--not a typical person. As a child he aspired to be a writer but after a rather depressing conversation with his mother he made a sad discovery. He had no talent.

So he quickly gave up his hopes and dreams following his father's footsteps, a rather ordinarily unhappy man who seemed to go on unhappily day by day, and went into the marketing business. Unfortunately, he wasn't really good at that either, being able to only get a job at a rather normal cosmetics company out of gratitude after a rather unorthodox  encounter with the owner where he was able to perform the Heimlich maneuver, just in time to save his life after he began to choke on a piece of candy that Mars had earlier offered him. But we must go back to the typical sandwich shop where Mars sat at a typical table with his seemingly regular girlfriend and our not so typical story begins...

Ellie by LoveisPudding

 

                   

Cubical

 

 Ellie

Mars leaned back in his chair his fingers tapping against the table top, his jaw tightening in annoyance as he watched Ellie, her blackberry cradled in her hands, fingers tapping away at the thing, making those short constant clicks that drove him to the edge of madness.

"Ellie."

Ellie's eyes stayed locked on the small device as she sprung up her index finger, asking for another minute for her thumbs to race against the small keyboard of that infernal device. He let out a deep sigh his fingers tapping against the table top faster in further annoyance.

It was decided than that he honestly couldn't take this anymore. That sound, that finger, that Ellie, had been driving him slowly mad for the last four months. The constant work on the blackberry, the hours spent doing boring useless things like silent group knitting and organizing everything from random boring books to some floppy discs she'd found in her closet was not worth the occasional fantastic office sex.

"Sorry about that." She put her blackberry down on the table top sweeping her blonde bangs from her eyes around her ear. "Why is our food not here yet?" She looked to her side at the busy counter than turned back to him with a tight smile on her face.

Mars shrugged and relaxed his fingers down on the table. "It will get here eventually but I wanted to talk-"

"I think it's because of that stumpy Mexican girl at the counter." She interrupted. "She hates me. I can tell by the way she glares at me when I order my food."

"She's Latino not Mexican unless you're sure she's actually from Mexico." Mars corrected. "Plus she doesn't glare she just looks at you normally."

Ellie rolled her eyes flapping her hand dismissively. "Well you obviously don't see the looks she gives me and it's San Francisco so she's Mexican."

Mars raised an eyebrow at the comment but stopped short of saying anything as a server arrived at their table, two plates balanced in his hands. He dropped them down in front of them, Ellie looking down at her turkey Cobb sandwich as the server quickly left to return to the counter.

Mars tangled his fingers together as he watched her take the sandwich in her small well-manicured hands and took a large bite looking at him in curiosity as he watched her, ignoring the smoked ham club sandwich that rested on his plate.

"What's wrong?" She asked, gurgling through her words as she chewed.

Mars fidgeted in his sit, clearing his throat as he looked down at his tangled hands than looked back at her. "I think we should-" He fidgeted again. "Take a break."

"What?" Ellie's voice spiked as she put down her sandwich on the plate in front of her. "You mean you want to break up with me."

Ellie's tone took an irritated turn her eyebrows furrowed catching him off-guard so he just, kept his mouth shut slowly nodding his head in agreement, in fear of something stupid spilling from his mouth. Mars was never any good at these type of things

. Her eyebrow twitched, but she just shrugged it off putting on another tight smile and picking her up her sandwich again, her eyes never leaving him.

"So are we going to be cool at work?" Mars asked picking up his previously untouched coffee. "We're good right."

Ellie laughed, an odd shrill that always sent shivers running up his spine. He definitely wouldn't miss that either. "I'm a professional Mars. Of course we're cool."

 

For Kylie, more commonly known as Kyle Summers, Mars Nicasio was the only man other than her father that she had ever loved. Having known each other since her first clear memory they were like brothers. They told each other everything, moving in together once they'd moved to San Francisco after a series of mishaps and meeting each girl the other dated.

Mars-though he tried to argue differently-had relatively terrible taste in women. Ellie Keese was not an exception to this. Kyle had attempted, in vain, to warn him against dating the woman who she had observed to be narcissistic and quite frankly boring as fuck.

 These observations had come from the general way the woman held herself, as if she was above everyone around her and from a rather unfortunately boring conversation they'd had about how Ellie had spent her vacation reading the dictionary and all the new exciting useless words she's learnt, but never the less Mars refused to heed her warnings going as far as to not use common sense against dating her in that she also happened to also be his boss.

 "I did it!" Mars slammed the door of their two bed roomed studio apartment behind him and raised his arms up with fists balled up in victory. "I dumped her."

"Congratulations." Kyle said briefly taking her eyes off the television to glance over at him from the red futon in their living room. "I hope you know you've royally screwed yourself."

"Don't ruin the moment for me." Mars dropped his arms down to his side walked over to her and plummeted down next to her on the sofa. "So what are we watching?"

"Outer Limits." Kyle said. " Are you going to start looking for a new job soon?'

"Of course not." Mars shook his head kicking off his shoes. "Why would I need to? Ellie's a professional and won't let this get between us at work."

She let out a short mocking snicker and turned to look at him.

"The chick is your boss."

"Victor wouldn't ever let her fire me." Mars propped his feet up on the table satisfied with himself. She rolled her eyes at the sad excuse. The I-saved-the-boss-and-now-he-owes-me thing wasn't going to last forever. "Plus she smiled at me when she left. I think that's a good sign."

Kyle raised an eyebrow at this turning her head to face him. "If she smiled than what did you tell her you dumped her for?"

"She didn't ask so I didn't have to tell her." Mars sunk his body down into the futon, turning to look at her. "How was I supposed to nicely tell her that being around her was less fun than having my teeth pulled. It was a win-win situation for the both of us."

Kyle laughed. "Alright let's see how well this turns out."

Mars turned away from her, his attention now fully now on the odd immortal girl with the freakishly green eyes wondering around on the television.

~

Ellie Keese was a fucking good catch. She was blonde, had fantastic green eyes, a rocking body that most girls were jealous of and a personality that was just as good-if not better-than her physical appearance. So naturally a woman such as her had never been dumped, that was until Mars Nicasio.

Mars was unlike any other man Ellie had ever dated. He wasn't successful, rich, hadn't gone to an Ivy League school, in fact he hadn't really accomplished anything in his life, but there was something about him that had convinced her to give him a shot. Maybe it was the kindness that shone in his gorgeous pale blue eyes, maybe it was the adorable look that flashed on his face when he was confused (which was often) or maybe it was of the genetically beautiful children they would could have had.

So as she watched him strut past the cubicles in the massive room towards his own tiny cubicle, from the large window of her office, his headphones cupping his ears, his blue eyes looking straight at her, a seemingly friendly smile perched on his face she knew better than to buy into it. For now all that he was to her was a theoretical baby killer.

Ellie twisted the shutters close, turning away from the window walking towards her mahogany desk, and running her hand across it as she went around taking a seat in her large black leather chair. Her eyes went to her computer monitor, a close-up picture of her and Mars together in much better times plastered on her wallpaper. They looked beautiful together and he threw it away for-

Actually she didn't know why he'd thrown it all away, but she sure as hell wasn't going to look like one of those crazy needy ex-girlfriends and ask him. She would just act like the professional that she knew she was.

That said she would just have to increase Mars's work load as now he had the extra time to finish it all since he'd have so much free time now that he wasn't spending that time with her. It was the professional thing to do.

Ellie tapped her fingers against her wooden desk looking at the wallpaper on her computer, a smile spreading on her face.

~

 Work reminded Mars of High School Trigonometry class, few understood it while the general population of the class just crossed their fingers, hoping they were doing it right.

Alright, maybe that was just him, and that was a terrible analogy but it hopefully set the point that he attempted to put across.

Mars looked down at the paper to his side that was almost identical to the other papers that riddled his desk lying in tall piles. He took his aching fingers away from the keyboard of his computer reaching his arm out to touch a small smiling sunshine spring toy that sat on top of his block calendar that was pressed up against the wall of his cubical. It bobbed around on its spring putting a much needed smile on his face.

Today there had been a sudden surge in work for him, almost as if everyone in his department had directed their extra lag to him. It was something that never happened. Not even when people actually needed extra help, because everyone in his department knew better than to direct it towards him.

 His attention shifted over to his computer screen, and he minimized his work files, a picture of him and Kyle trolling San Francisco for the first time, a happier time, plastered as his wallpaper cheering him up further. His eyes drifted over to the time, a sigh of relief escaping through his lips as the clock rang for his lunch time. He spun around on his chair slowly moving himself towards the opening of his cubical, his eyes first going to Ellie's office across from him, her shutters flickering close at his gaze. Odd.

 His eyes drifted further towards the door to find Kyle strutting towards his cubical dark aviators covering her eyes, holding two brown paper bags in her hand. He moved back to his desk as she walked into his office, scooting the papers on his desk into a large messy pile in the corner and talking a seat down on the cold metal top.

"I feel like your mother." Kyle plopped one of the bags down on his lap looking towards him, her dark aviators still resting on her face. "Next time you bring your own lunch."

"Next time make your own lunch than." Mars opened his bag, taking his ham sandwich out and placing the paper bag next to his monitor on his desk. "Plus if you were like my mother this would be organic and vegetarian and you wouldn't be  wearing sunglasses inside like a douchbag."

Kyle scoffed. "It's not douchy it's just to intimidate the nerds somehow."

"The nerds that you're talking about." Mars pointed at his short paper thin wall. "They can hear you."

Kyle smirked in response pulling out a yogurt cup and spoon from her paper bag.

Mars rolled his eyes, taking a bite out of his sandwich, watching as Kyle peeled off the lid to the yogurt cup, plunging in her spoon and stuffing it in her mouth. Her eyes roamed around the room as she pulled the spoon out of her mouth, pausing momentarily at the large pile of papers she shoved aside.

"What's up with all the random crap everywhere?" Kyle said  scooping a spoonful of yogurt from her cup and stuffing it into his mouth. "Has it already begun?"

"It's just a busy day." Mars shrugged. "And what is it?"

"You know what it is." Kyle pulled the spoon out of his mouth using it to point toward the entrance of the cubical, indicating towards Ellie's desk. "She wants retribution."

"No she doesn't." Mars sighed, growing increasingly irritated. "Can we just drop it and talk about other things? Like why you've suddenly switched to mixed berry yogurt?"

"I think Kyle's right on this one Mars."

Mars looked over to the entrance of the cubical his eyebrows furrowed at Leland, his cubical neighbor, peeking his head inside.

"Me and the guys over at the Human Resources Department are all betting on how long you'll last."

"Thanks for the support Leland." Mars said sarcastically. "You call all kiss-my-ass."

"Hey I said you'd last at least a month." Leland pointed at him with a smirk on his face, looking content with himself.

Mars shook his head in disapproval, his face cold and serious watching as Leland slowly wheeled himself back into his own cubical. Mars was not amused.

"Alright so can we now just drop this subject please." Mars pleaded, taking another bite from his ham sandwich.

"Fine, but I don't really have much to talk about today." Kyle scooted back on his desk, leaning her head against the wall. "Though later today, we could crash the production department's work party over at Blue Moon."

Mars groaned, remembering the last time he'd been at the bar. He'd sat at their usual table on the phone with Ellie over what qualities made the perfect lampshade while Kyle worked her magic on a group of superhot volleyball players. Kyle, in regular Kyle fashion, had them all hooked, only choosing two of the superhot volleyball players to take home, which meant bunking at Ellie's for Mars where she proceeded to continue telling him in more detail the qualities that made up a perfect fucking lampshade. So in other words it sucked.

"Come on." Kyle pleaded sticking her spoon back into her yogurt. "You'll have more fun now that you have your freedom back."

A smile spread across his face, the notion that he, Mars Nicasio, was free from her, Ellie boring as shit Keese, bought nothing but pure joy  in his heart.

"All right." Mars perked up in his seat, taking a small bite from his sandwich. "Yeah it should be fun now that I'm free like a Blue jay."

"A Blue Jay?" Kyle questioned raising an eyebrow. "Why specifically a Blue Jay?"

"Because Blue Jays are the freest, manliest birds out there."

Mars nodded his head in approval his eyes drifting over to Leland who had once again wheeled himself to the entrance of his cubical.

"Well I think they're some pretty fruity birds." Kyle retorted with a mocking snicker. "They're free but not manly in the least."

Leland let out a deep gasp clenching his shirt for dramatic effect, while Mars wheeled himself towards him.
"Have you ever heard the wise ancient saying, don't hate appreciate." Leland bumped a fist to his chest, breaking it out into a peace sign stretching his arm out to her. "Join the love train Kyle."

Kyle burst out laughing, shaking her head. "I'm at a loss for words."

"Dude." Mars smacked Leland on the arm, catching his attention. "I never knew you appreciated Blue Jays too."

"They're amazing how could someone not." Leland paused his eyes shifting to Kyle than back to Mars. "Whoever doesn't is like a robot or something."

"Oh my gosh guys." Kyle chuckled. "You guys are so gay for each other."

"Hey." Leland threw his hands up. "Mars you're awesome and all but no homo."

"Right back at you man." Mars said wheeling himself back towards his desk. "So do you want to crash the production department's work party with us tonight?"

"Sure, but  it's going to have to be kinda late I have my last PVP battle with my guild on Wow tonight before I go cold turkey."

Kyle rolled her eyes. "I need a nerd translation."

"He's got a player verse player battle on World of Warcraft before he tries to quiet." Mars responded nonchalantly. He hated translating for her as she knew all the typical nerd  terminology. She just thought she was too cool to show that she did in front of anyone but him.

"I'm not going to try Mars, I'm going to succeed and Call of Duty is going to be my buffer to help me along."  Leland said. He slowly wheeled himself back towards his cubical, a determined look plastered on his face.

~

For Mars parties were usually just opportunities for a large crowd of people to see how awkward he was in, well a large crowd of people. So naturally he avoided them like the plague. That was until he discovered the beauty in crashing parties.

It was a whole new experience altogether. You could be anyone, say anything because the possibility that you'd ever see those people ever again was slim. There was mischief and fun to be had in crashing parties and due to the production and account departments being at a separate building while within a short walking distance the two building where nevertheless two worlds that never seemed to interact with each other creating many office myths about the second building (prostitutes, blow, aliens, the works) and the golden opportunity to party crash.

Mars smoothed out his white button up shirt, giving his black jacket a light tug as Kyle placed a gray fedora on top of her head in the passenger seat, her eyes fixed on the mirror in front of her.

"What do you think." Kyle turned to him, her fingers lightly placed on the rim of the hat, like a douchbag pop star.

Mars shook his head. "Too Justin Timberlake."

Kyle let out a low groan in distaste, picking up the fedora from her head and throwing it in the back of the car. She reached her hand out, popping open the glove compartment in front of her.

"Here." Kyle said pulling out two dark blue lanyards, id badges hanging from the end and placed one on his lap. "You are now Jose Recardo and I'm now Sophie-Ann Daniels."

Mars chuckled, picking up the lanyard from his lap. "Where did you get these?"

"From Natalie, Victor's assistant." Kyle threw the lanyard over her head letting it hang around her neck. "I didn't really ask nor did I care why she had them, but she did."

"Did you get one for Leland?" Mars asked already sure he knew the answer. Kyle scoffed a smug smile cracking across her face.

"Hell no."

Mars let out a deep sigh, digging into his pocket and dragging his cell phone out.

"Don't worry about him." Kyle said snatching the phone from his hand. "I told him I wouldn't get him one. Besides he's a nifty critter he'll find a way in."

"It sounds like you're talking about a squirrel or something." 

"There really is no other way to describe him." Kyle grumbled. She pushed open the door to his Toyota and started walking towards the sky blue door of the bar in front of them, leaving Mars behind as he struggled with his seatbelt.

Mars' seatbelt snapped off and he quickly pushed open the door, slamming it behind him as he ran to catch up with Kyle, who stood next to a man guarding the door. Mars ran up to her, and they lifted up their lanyards in sync to show the tall thin wannabe bouncer. The man's eyes looked over at their names than at them and back, a small chuckle escaping from his lips as he opened the door and moved out of the way of the door frame.

Mars walked into the large deep blue establishment, the mysterious second building people lined up at the bar counter, a few scattered on the make-shift dance floor placed where tables usually stood on regular days at the bar. Kyle grabbed his arm, pulling him to the bar counter squeezing them in-between the crowd of people. She slammed her hands down on the counter, calling for the bartenders attention.

"I'd like 2 shots of whiskey and 2 Budweiser's." Kyle said. "And make it fast Eric."

Eric turned, his eyes going to Mars than Kyle a smile spreading across his face. "What are you guys doing here?" Eric's eyes dropped to their lanyards a small chuckle escaping his lips. "Oh I forgot you had a work party today Jose."

Mars threw on an awkward smile scratching the back of his head nervously. "Well we do Eric so could we have our drinks please?"

"I'll get right to it." Eric's eyes scanned over Mars' body, a shiver crawling up Mars' spine as he felt Eric's eyes undress him, before he grabbed a whiskey bottle and started pouring their drinks.

Kyle smacked Mars on the back, a cheeky smile on her face. "You should take that as a complement to your good looks instead of looking so horrified."

"But he's objectifying me." Mars shrugged leaning forward on the bar counter and Kyle laughed.

Eric walked back to them placing their shots in front of them pulling up their beers from underneath the counter.

"Here are your drinks." Eric gave him a smug smile and a wink before going off to serve the other people in the bar.

Mars picked up his glass, brought it to his lips and quickly downed the drink slamming the glass down on the counter, as the liquid burned a hot trail down his throat followed by a congratulatory slap on the shoulder from Kyle.

He grabbed his beer, taking a soothing sip as Kyle downed her shot, throwing up her arms before she slammed it down on the counter.

"Tequila next time." Kyle said picking up her beer and turning around to lean back against the counter. "I'm going to go fraternize."

 Kyle pushed off from the counter, walking towards the crowd of people on the dance floor leaving him behind and the majority of the people who crowded the bar before took off with her almost as if she was carrying the party with her. Mars took another drink from his beer scanning the few people left at the bar, ignoring Eric's content gaze from over the counter.

The previously mentioned scanning actually went something like this: Guy, guy, guy, probably a guy, no idea, guy, guy, gu-wait--.

Mars' eyes stopped at a women leaning her back against the bar her legs stretched out in front of her constricted in skin tight jeans. Her jet black hair stopped at her shoulders, her bangs sweeping over her gorgeous face, her dark brown eyes watching the dance floor.

Mars took a deep breath, confidently walking over to her and casually leaning against the counter next to her. His eyes nervously cut over to her and he took a sip of his beer to calm him down.

"Hey." Mars said a smile spreading across his face.

She quirked an eyebrow at him and he mentally kicked himself, his smile disappearing from his face, knowing he sounded as goofy to her as he had to himself.

"Hey," Her eyes dropped to his lanyard than returned to him and she let out a small chuckle. "Jose? Is that really your name?"

"Of course it's my name," Mars shrugged, his eyes dropping to look at her own Id, a smile returning to his face. "Bryce? How do you say your last name?"

Her head tilted back and she let out a short sweet laugh, a bright smile on her face.

"I have no idea."

"I don't think I've seen many Ks in a name before." Mars said his nervousness melting away. "Did you get that from Natalie?"

"Yeah, she just kinda handed it to me." She whispered, leaning in closer to him. "It was really odd. Name's Maya by the way."

"That seems to fit you better than Bryce." Mars said brightly taking another drink of his beer. "Name's Mars and no I'm not shitting you it really is."

Maya nodded her head. "That's such an awesome name."

 "Well you're one of the few people that think so." Mars laughed. "Can I get you a drink or something?"

"I think I'm good for now." Maya lifted her beer and took a sip.

"Alright, then I'll get you one when you're finished with that one." Mars said scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

"Jose!"

Mars jumped at the voice, looking over to the door to find Leland walking towards him, with his arms up in the air and a wide smile on his face. Leland grabbed hold of his shoulder putting his arm around his neck.

"Sorry I'm late bro."

"How did you even get in?" Mars asked picking Leland's arm off.

"It's me."

"Jose!"

This time it was Kyle and Mars didn't bother turning to look over at her, prompting instead to stare awkwardly at Maya, with Leland leering over them. Kyle danced her way over to them carrying two shot glasses in her hand and bring with her a short Congo line of women.

"One for you," Kyle grabbed his free hand, opened it and placed the glass inside. "And one for me."

Kyle quickly downed the shot, raising her arms up, which resulted in her congo line and the crowd behind her to break out into a loud tipsy cheer.

"I'm so sorry." Mars said, his voice overshadowed by the loud commotion.

Maya nodded, though he was pretty sure she couldn't have heard what he said over the commotion and she placed her beer down and pointed towards the door.

"I'm going to go!" Maya yelled backing away from him. "It's getting rowdier than I thought it would be and that's not really my scene but I'll hopefully see you at work!"

Mars nodded his head, flashing her a quick wide smile as she walked out.

"Who was that?" Leland yelled, leaning over to speak right into his ear. "She was hot."


  

Maya

Maya: Part 1 by LoveisPudding
Author's Notes:

Wow sorry it's been a bit. I got sick (stomach flu), and had finals to do but I'm done with all that now so updates should be more frequent.

I wanted to update now so I just put up what has been quickly betaed so excuse the mistakes and such. This is in two parts because the other part isn't all that good so I'm revising it but it should be up soon (hopefully) or at least sooner in terms of from my first update to this one.

To really get a grasp of the unusual whirlwind that is Mars Nicasio's life, one needs to understand the usual group of friends in which he occupies himself with, starting with his fun-loving roommate Kylie better known as Kyle Summers.

Kyle had the typical family set up. She was an only child, her father was a dentist and her mother a stay at home-mum. She was a normal kid, with a normal family until the age of 17 after a bought of extremely disappointing sex with the captain of the lacrosse team she made a life changing revelation. She was a lesbian.

The revelation gave her an exponential boost of confidence, for she felt as though she'd finally found herself, but this revelation was not what made it so life changing. Her revelation triggered something that was really unexplainable, something rarely, something unique. This something was later uncreatively dubbed, The Kyle Effect by Mars.

This so-called "Kyle Effect" is characterized by the strange effect that Kyle has on other women within a short period of time of being around them. Sexual orientation seems to be cancelled out as almost every woman swoons when she is around as if she were a sexual magnet. But only almost, so this daunting almost is where our story picks back  up...

Maya

Chess

Mars sat in his office chair aimlessly wondering around on his computer ignoring the ever growing work load that was piling on his desk and on his computer. His fingers moved in excitement against the keyboard, for in a few minutes the mail chart would make its daily rounds and for the first time in a long time he would receive a package. The package itself served no real importance to him as it was just a favor bore onto him from Leland after gaining information of the new mail carrier, Maya Selite.

How he gained information of the new mail carrier is of no importance (he may or may not have looked up every Maya in the building to find her), but he could barely contain himself in his excitement at seeing her again.

His mind raced, going over what he'd say when she arrived, what he'd do.  Their first interaction had been awkward at the least and this time he didn't want to appear as awkward as he really was. That could wait for later.

"The Pelican is on route."

Mars quirked his eyebrows looking over to his side at Leland resting his head on the short wall that separated them.

"What are you talking about?"

"Your hot mail carrier is here."

Mars' mouth opened and closed with nothing clever to say (though he never really said anything clever anyway) before he just took to rolling his chair back peeking out into the hallway, looking out as Maya used her back to push open the glass door to the work area, trying to drag the mail cart into the room the wheels stuck on the metal bump underneath the door. Mars combed his fingers through his hair, taking a deep breath before he stood and made his way over to her.

"Let me help you with that." Maya looked up at him, her lips breaking into a bright smile bring a smile to his face.

"That would be greatly appreciated."

Maya stepped to the side, giving him room to take hold of the cart. He grabbed the metal pole that hung from a string on the handle, pressing it against one of the wheels and pushed the cart back over the metal bump into the room, the door closing behind it.

"You are amazing." Maya gawked doing a miniature bow. "This whole time I was wondering why there was a metal pole hanging from that thing and now I know."

Mars flipped his hand dismissively at her and tied the pole back to the handle.

"It's simple you just have to know how to work the pole." His eyes widened and her eyebrows quirked at him. He was blowing this even before he really even had a chance to do anything. "Not work the pole, but ah-you know-work with the pole."

He scratched the back of his head nervously. "It's simple once you learn how to work with the pole to help push the right wheel through."

Maya laughed, a smile wider than before on her face.

"Do you want to make the rounds with me till we reach your desk?"

He let out a relieved breath."Yeah that would be awesome."

"Alright, I'll push the cart." Mars shifted to the side allowing Maya to grab the handle. "You can hand out the mail."

Maya turned the cart to face the aisles of cubicles before them, with him following over to her side. They began their adventure, walking down the aisle as he picked up the first package of mail taking out the rubber band around the bundle his eyes searching the cubicles for the names printed on each letter.

"So Mars what do you do here?"

He shrugged. "Usually nothing but of late I've been getting actual work and I'm starting to ask myself the same question."

Maya chuckled as he tossed some mail into a cubical, happy that she assumed that he was joking. He really had begun to wonder about what he was assigned to do day by day, since he really hadn't been trained in his job he just usually looked at what Leland was doing and attempted to copy him.

"Gasp."

"I know it's ridicules." Mars threw down the letters in their destined cubical picking up a new load. "So do you do anything besides working in the vastly lucrative market of mail?"

"I'm a painter." Maya said. "I was doing the whole starving artist thing up until I remembered how much I like food and decided to get a "proper" job."

"Are you a Pollack, style post-modern painter?" Mars looked over to her with a raised eyebrow. "Because if so you're going to have to explain the concept of it to me."

"When I figure it out I'll tell you." Maya laughed, looking over at him. "I'm not a fan of the Pollack, style post-modernism. I'm starting to think that it might just be a load of crap."

He gasped, snapping his head to look at her dramatically. "Are you allowed to say that?"

"I'm not really sure." Maya said, biting her bottom lip. "But I've always been a something of a rule breaker."

Mars smiled at her picking up a medium sized box with his name stamped on it from the mail cart as they neared his office, Leland's eyes obviously sliding over them in a failed attempt at sedulity.

"This is my stop." Mars throw the box down on his desk leaning his shoulder against the short wall. "Well, backtracking a bit you said you liked food right?"

"Oh yeah can't live without the stuff." Maya said, stopping in front of his desk, the cart taking up a large chunk of the room in the hallway. "Do you like food too?"

"Coincidently I do."

"Freaky."

"I know right. So now that that is established do you also like sandwiches?"

She nodded her head, and swayed her body as if contemplating the question. "Meat, veggies and the possibility of cheese all packed between two slices of bread. What's not to like?"
"Well me and my friends are planning on going to this place that makes awful nice sandwiches at lunch in about an hour and now that I know that you like both food and sandwiches maybe you'd like to tag along?" He said and she smiled nodding her head in agreement much to his relief.

"What's the place called?"

"The Sandwich Shop"

"Straight forward, I like it already."She shrugged and her eyes drifted to the box on his desk. "Alright so what's in the box? Every time I look at it peeks my curiosity."

Mars pushed off the wall, picking the package up from his desk and giving it a good shake. A faint rattling sound came from it peeking his own curiosity. He thought it would be empty.

"Dude, what's in here?" Mars looked down into Leland's cubical, causing him to rise from his chair with a huge grin on his face and a letter opener in his hand.

"Wait, why did your cubical neighbor send you a package?" Maya quirked her eyebrow looking at him than at Leland. "You could have just handed it to him."
Mars paused, looking at Leland and flashing him a nervous smile. He didn't know what to say now.

"Because it's no fun that way." Leland said dismissively. "Leland Hunte, never got to properly introduce myself before amongst all the awkward last night."

"Maya Selite." Maya said, raising her hand to give him a small wave and a warm smile. "Nice to properly meet you."

Leland handed Mars the letter opener, Maya and his attention now devoted to him and the box. Mars stabbed the tape line, pulling it across and put the letter opener down to ripe open the sides of the box. He stuck his hand into the packing peanuts that filled the box, his hand grabbing hold of another box inside. He looked at Leland with a mildly confused look on his faceas he pulled the box out. He wasn't actually expecting to get anything.

He pulled the box out, his eyes widening and his confusion turning into pure excitement.

"Walkie-talkie's?" Maya questioned as he opened the box, pulling the marvelous devices out and tossing one over to Leland. Her eyes shifted between the two." Why did you get walkie-talkie's when you sit next to each other?"

"Because they're awesome." Leland excitedly pulled the plastic tab from where the batteries where, Mars following lead. He pressed down on the square talk button sinking down into his cubical. " This is awesome right, over."

"Kyle is going to be so jealous, over." Mars giggled (a manly giggle) and looked over at Maya, his excitement still painted plain on his face. "Uh, yeah we're kinda odd, sorry."

Maya flapped her hand dismissively at him.

"Don't apologize."

Maya's attention drifted back to the aisle ahead of her and she glanced back at him. "I've got to go finish my rounds, but I'll see you at lunch."
"Alright, I'll see you then." Mars waved as she pushed her cart away from him, continuing her voyage around the cubicals.

"I like her, over."

~

Drinking was a strange and magical thing to Kyle. One minute she's partying it up in the Blue Moon the next thing she remembers she's waking up in a spacey loft not too far from her place naked with a random woman lying next to her. Magic.

This magical thing had given her a good time and gotten her laid, but as she sat in the board room with her dark Ray Bands covering her eyes from the bright blaring luminescent lights above, her head throbbing like a drum she remembered the truth. With this great magical gift came a curse, known as the mind fucking hangover.

Kyle leaned back in her chair her legs stretched out in front of her, slowly drifting to sleep as Eric her supervisor went on about production, design, and more boring shit that had to do with work. He went on, flipping though a PowerPoint she could vaguely see through the dark tint of her glasses, making her wish she'd just stayed home or at Emily's (Possibly the name of random woman).

"Kyle?" Eric called out and she flashed him a brief smile in acknowledgement. "Are you listening to me?"

"Nope."

Eric let out a frustrated sigh and she shrugged nonchalantly. She was being honest.

 "Could you go let in the mail girl?" Eric pointed a long thin finger at the door seen through the glass walls outside their enclosed board room. "I think the door locked again."

Kyle groaned as she slowly and reluctantly stood from her seat, and Eric resumed his boring ass PowerPoint. She walked out of the board room through the aisles of offices to the glass door to the large work room. The mail carrier stood leaning back against the wall, outside the room waiting patiently, her attention to a small device in her hands.

Kyle pulled open the door wide, the mail carrier's bright mahogany eyes drifting over to her. The woman placed the device into the pocket of her skinny jeans, a large smile spreading on her face as she grabbed the handle of the mail cart.

Kyle's eyes conspicuously drifted over the woman's curvy body, her eyes lingering a moment longer on her cleavage displayed nicely by her red checked button up shirt. Kyle smiled at the woman, her day apparently looking up.

"Thanks."

The woman pushed the cart inside, passing Kyle towards the aisles and Kyle followed by her side.

"Name's Kyle by the way." Kyle stuck her hand out towards her, seeming to catch the woman off guard with her conversation. "I pretty much know everyone who works here so  it's important that I know you."

"Maya." Maya said accepting her hand, smiling brightly. "So now I guess you know everyone instead of pretty much everyone."

"Exactly." Kyle nodded. "Some of those people are even lucky enough to be friends with me."

"Awesome."Kyle's smile waned a bit hearing slight disinterest in her voice, something she wasn't used to.

"So before what was it you had?" Kyle said hoping to reel her interest back to her. "That you stuffed in your pocket."

Maya turned to look over at her for the first time since the brief glance she'd given her since she'd opened the door for her and smiled quickly before returning her attention in front of her.

"An old gameboy I found in the mail room." Maya said. "It's old school, had Mario in it and I just couldn't resist."

Kyle laughed, biting her bottom lip as she realized how long it had been since she'd had to have any sort of conversation with a woman she liked/wanted to bang. Relatively no words had to be spoken whenever she picked up girls it was all body language that always ended in a happy ending.

"So I'm thinking  we should get a drink after work or something." Kyle said scratching her head.

Maya's head snapped towards her, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion much to her surprise.

"You're joking right?" Maya chuckled, only adding to Kyle's surprise and mild hurt. "I just met you about five seconds ago. I don't know you."

"But if you go out for a drink with me you will know me." Kyle said, giving her the crooked smile that always got girls, but Maya just shook her head, letting out another mocking chuckle.

"You don't even know if I'm in a relationship or not."

"First thing you would have said if you were." Kyle shrugged. "And believe me when I say you're sexual orientation doesn't really matter."

"Alright." Maya held up her hand signaling for her to stop. "I need to go finish my rounds and you should go do anything but continue to hit on me."

Kyle stopped in her tracks allowing Maya to continue on her way, respecting her wishes. She stuffed her hands in her pockets, watching her walk away in front of her, her pace faster than before. She stood there confused, her ego slightly impaired, but above that intrigued. No woman nor man (as gross and weird it is to think back to those days) had ever rejected her. She walked back towards the board room, looking at Maya with one more passing glance and a sense of persistence building in her chest that she'd been missing for a long time.

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=1349