Oh Baby!! by chocolate470
Summary:

user posted image 

I'm really not good at summaries. Basically Evangeline has been in Atlanta for a year and arrives back in Llanview with her new baby girl. Either Christian or Todd could be the father...or so she wants everyone to believe..


Categories: Daytime Television, One Life to Live Characters: Evangeline Williamson
Classification: Cannon
Genre: Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: Tangeline (One Life to Live)
Warnings: Adult Situations, Extreme Language, Strong Sexual Content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 48776 Read: 12568 Published: 19/08/08 Updated: 12/11/08

1. Chapter 1 by chocolate470

2. Chapter 2 by chocolate470

3. Chapter 3 by chocolate470

4. Chapter 4 by chocolate470

5. Chapter 5 by chocolate470

6. Chapter 6 by chocolate470

7. Chapter 7 by chocolate470

8. Chapter 8 by chocolate470

9. Chapter 9 by chocolate470

10. Chapter 10 by chocolate470

11. Chapter 11 by chocolate470

12. Chapter 12 by chocolate470

13. Chapter 13 by chocolate470

Chapter 1 by chocolate470

So she was back to where it all started. Certainly things had changed drastically in her life one of which was lying in her arms sleeping… her little chest rising and falling. It had been a year since she had retreated to Atlanta not wanting to face the daunting task of having to deal with two men that were now key players in her daughter’s life. For a moment her mind drifted back to that one night filled with both passion and regret forever changing the term ‘friendship’ between her and Todd but the deed was already finished wasn’t it? There was no going back and changing what had happened. Did she really want it to change if…Evangeline sighed gently stroking the back of her daughter’s head wondering if she was having dreams about little angels and beautiful gardens while her mother was living a nightmare which she help to create – she didn’t know who the father of her little bundle of joy was.

 

While settling down in Atlanta mulling over her future plans she started to experience the nausea and dizziness but the vomiting was excluded. It really surprised her when a routine trip to the doctor revealed that she was four weeks pregnant. She finally had to confess to her sister Layla and mother Lisa about the private details of her now debunked love life.  Advice – keep the pregnancy under wraps for the time being. The advice seemed logical…not having to deal with Todd and Cris at each other’s throats, Blair… but still lying in that delivery room with Lisa at her side, Layla capturing the special moments and Uncle Clay waiting with bated breath outside she felt so alone. Two months along that decision to preclude the supposed father seemed very unfair. Three months and the decision had been made.

 

“Mom I’ve decided to move back to Llanview,” Evangeline said quietly. It wouldn’t be easy her mother had already developed a close attachment.

 

“Cookie, are you really sure about this decision.”

 

“Giving the circumstances yes. How would I feel if there was a child of mine out there that I didn’t know anything about?”

 

“I would be happy if the fathers involved weren’t an abusive ex-boyfriend and a rapist. I am truly disappointed by your reckless behavior Evangeline. Thank God you didn’t contract a sexually transmitted disease. Now you are allowing my granddaughter to go back into a hot mess!”

 

“Ok Mom! Fine! It’s my fault. I should have been more careful and yes I thank God everyday that I am a healthy individual but my daughter deserves to know who her father is. In my heart I know that neither of them would mistreat their own child. Mom I want to do what’s right for her with or without your support,” Evangeline said clasping her hands.

 

Lisa took a deep breath before responding, “Cookie I may not approve of all your decisions but you are your own woman and I raised you as such. I’m going to miss my grandbaby. She is a constant joy to my life but like you said…you have to do what’s best for her. Remember I will always be here whenever you need me.”

 

“Thanks mom. I promise I’ll come visit once this situation is settled.” The conversation ended with a warm hug.

 

A tearful goodbye mixed with promises of keeping in contact Evangeline packed her daughter and belongings for the trip back to Llanview. Amazingly she had been able to secure a two bedroom apartment within her old building. The rest of her furnishings were retrieved from storage and with a little help from Layla she was well on her way. Antonio was generous enough to offer a hand in setting up the nursery.

 

 

Early evening…

 

“Antonio, thank you very much. I think she is enjoying her new crib – sleeping like an angel.”

 

“De nada…”

 

“He can be very handy when he needs to be,” Layla smiled.

 

“I’ll accept that as a compliment,” Antonio said pulling her into a small kiss. “Evangeline you can call on me anytime but I am trying to understand why I have to keep your arrival in town such a big secret.”

 

“Antonio, would you quit worrying. In time all will be revealed,” Layla said shooting Evangeline a quick glance who looked away.

 

“Baby, Cris would be so surprised with her and the ba…”

 

“Haven’t you noticed that Evangeline and Christian are over and done with?”

 

“But…”

 

“I think it’s time for you to go. Evangeline looks pretty tired. Company is the last thing on her mind.”

 

“Ok…ok…I know where I’m not wanted. You’ll drop by later at Capricorn… right?” Antonio asked pulling her closer.

 

“Of course as soon as I am finished with Evangeline I’ll come by and help you set up the bar before the crowd comes rushing in. I’ve got to take care of my baby,” she said wrapping her arms around his neck. It still surprised Evangeline that the two had gotten involved. Both were so caught up in deep love affairs but what did she know.

 

“Evangeline like I said before it’s great having you back in Llanview. See you and the cute bambina later,” Antonio said giving Layla a kiss before he left.

 

***********

 

“Layla and Antonio – it looks promising.”

 

“I figure you are a bit skeptical but a lot can happen in a year.”

 

“You’re telling me,” Evangeline cracked a forced smile, “Layla, I really need your help with something but if you can’t do it then you can’t,” she said in an anxious voice.

 

“Just ask Vange. I might just grant your request.”

 

“I was wondering…” Evangeline bit down on her bottom lip. “It’s very hard for me to speak with Todd and Christian about this situation…damn!”

 

“Evangeline I’ll take care of it. Little sisters are good for something other than driving their big sisters crazy.”

 

“Your big sister didn’t give you a very good example of handling life and the curve balls it throws once in a while.”

 

“Finally she admits that she is not perfect!” They both laughed. “I love you very much big sis and wouldn’t trade you in.”

 

“Not even for a black convertible.”

 

“Does that include chromed, tricked out rims? I’ve always wanted those as a present from my rich boyfriend. ” Another laugh before they hugged each other.

  

 

The next day…

  

Evangeline anxiously waited praying to God that Todd and Christian would show up at different intervals. Her prayers were answered.

 

Christian was the first to knock at her door. The look on his face told the whole story. He gazed around the room then looked at her and the baby extending his arms. She granted his request and he held her for a few moments before giving her back to Evangeline turning around and quickly exiting the apartment without uttering a single sentence. She hadn’t expected that reaction. Todd on the other hand would be another story but yet he still hadn’t made his grand appearance. He’s probably brooding she thought as she laid the baby in the bassinette proceeding to finish her unpacking.

 

Evening was fast approaching and in the midst of fixing a bottle her cell phone rang – it was Layla.

 

“How has your day been so far?”

 

“Emotionally quiet except for you know who screaming for her timely meal. Mom called a little while ago – just checking in. Excuse me for a minute while I attempt this balancing act.” …phone between her ear and shoulder, baby in one arm and bottle in the next. “I think I’ve got it now,” she smiled.

 

“Evangeline that’s odd I thought…”

 

“You thought that I would be frazzled from screaming confrontations with the both of them. Christian did make an appearance. He held the baby for a moment and then left. He didn’t say anything.”

 

“Wow…I see. Antonio has been looking for him everywhere.”

 

“Speaking about Antonio he is going to be pretty upset once he finds out. When I really think about it Layla I’m sorry I got you involved in this mess.”

 

“Evangeline don’t fret about it. I can deal with Antonio. How did Todd handle the news?”

 

“I haven’t seen him as yet. He is probably trying to calm down before we face off. I did a terrible thing Layla and I am not expecting anyone to roll out the welcome wagon. Llanview residents will be very surprised that I have a baby with two potential fathers and the gossip will begin. I have to face the consequences for my actions.”

 

“Damn all of them! You did what you felt was right at the time. There is no use in beating yourself up about it.”

 

“What would you have done in my situation?”

 

“I honestly don’t know Vange. I hope I never have to face something like that.” Layla seem to ponder for a moment. “I could come over and keep you company if you like?”

 

“That’s alright Layla. You have already been a great support to me and the baby and I am very grateful.” Suddenly Evangeline heard a rapping at her door making her heart skip a beat. ”Layla thanks for the call but I have to go. Someone’s at the door.”

 

“I’ll pray for you.”

   “Who is it?” 

“Do you have to ask…” – came a solemn voice.

 

She opened the door. Todd Manning stood before her dressed in a light blue shirt, dark slacks matching his current mood; hair slightly tousled looking as handsome as he ever was. Although his face looked a bit tired there was sadness behind those striking blue eyes.

 

“Todd…”

 

“Evangeline…”

                        

He stepped through the apartment door walking into a place still in the process of becoming occupied once again. Chair, sofa, bassinette preoccupying the living room; an abstract art piece in the center of the bare walls; standing crystal vase filled with fresh flowers and boxes scattered here and there.

 

“Moving back for good this time?”

 

“I still have friends, my sister and a job waiting for my return. Of course my daughter’s father does live here.”

 

“Of course…may I…” Evangeline placed her in his arms. The baby stirred as he sat on her sofa continuing the feeding. She regarded his behavior so far as strange but knowing what he had been through during the last couple of months it was understandable nonetheless.

 

“She is very beautiful like…I could have searched for you if I really wanted to.” She knew that all too well – he didn’t. “But you made it perfectly clear how you felt about us being together in that way. Then there were other complications like my ex-wife Blair.” She also knew about the breakup. “…and finding out the location of my son…” Todd trailed off. “I guess you know that he…he…he died.” The bottle loosened from her lips. She was sleeping peacefully once again mouth moving as if it were still there. He calmly brought her head to his shoulder patting her back lightly listening for her burp. It looked very natural.

 

Although her body wanted to comfort him Evangeline stood stoically at the side of the door where she had remained after he entered the apartment. Hearing about his baby’s death had factored heavily in her decision to come back to Llanview. She still hated to see him in pain – always wanting to be there for him even if she physically wasn’t able to.

 

“Yes I knew. Layla told me about it,” Evangeline said hoarsely.

 

“It has been hard having to deal with not being able to hold him or tell him how much I cared and loved him. What am I talking about – I never really knew him.” It looked as though he was threatening to return to that dark place again but he gazed lovingly at the little one cradled in his arms – soft curly black hair with brown highlights, skin like smooth honey. He smiled saying, “She still hasn’t shown me her eyes. I guess at this age sleep is a preference.”

 

“Her eyes are light brown,” Evangeline interjected. “Todd you do understand that she could be Christian’s daughter.”


“I don’t care about any test. In my heart she is already my daughter.” This was the hot mess her mother warned her about. She let out a little burp. Todd carried her to the bassinette gently kissing her on the forehead caressing the side of her face. He was completely in love and smiled at thought of always being a constant presence in her life.    

 

“If you had only let me be there for you during your pregnancy things would have been different between us,” Todd said as he straightened up and turned to face Evangeline.

 

“Things would have been different with Blair and the stress that always comes along with your life.” They spoke with restraint not wanting to wake the baby. Todd took in a deep breath. “She is my first child and there was no way in this world that I would lose her due to any stressful situations going on around me.”

 

“I guess you are saying that it would have been better if the ‘caveman’ was the outright father.”

 

“Correct.”

 

Evangeline didn’t mean it but the word came out coldly hitting the mark. It was time for him to leave. Staying would mean getting into a heated argument. She turned away as he approached the door.

 

With his right hand already on the door knob he stood behind her breath caressing the nape of her neck.

 

“Funny I didn’t hear you mention her name.”

 

“Her name is Tangie Alexis Williamson,” Evangeline responded dryly. Christian would definitely throw a fit once he found out but for right now his reaction was neither here nor there.

 

Todd uttered a small laugh shaking his head, “I am more hurt than mad at you. Whether you like it or not there is still a strong connection between the two of us which we can never deny. After all why would you name her Tangie which anyone could guess is a combination of both our names...”

“Todd I…” Evangeline said turning around stumbling into a soft kiss. It lasted but a few seconds before he let go silently closing the door behind him as he left.

 

Evangeline stood frozen forgetting all about her pangs of hunger. Finally she let out a breath. She didn’t realize that she had been holding it in for so long.  Soon she realized that the buried emotions were starting to resurface but hoped that this time around it wouldn’t end like it did before.

 

Eventually all of them would meet again together this time. Tomorrow was the scheduled appointment of the DNA test.

End Notes:

Ok guys just tell me what you think about the first chapter...

Chapter 2 by chocolate470
Author's Notes:
Emotions Run Very High!!!

A light crowd milled back and forth through Capricorn’s doors but Antonio wasn’t particularly worried it was early evening and the action wouldn’t start until later on in fact the DJ was already setting up his equipment. He conversed with a few regulars who ordered a beer or two before departing. Every so often he would sneak a peek at Layla who was working feverishly behind the bar with his bartender Angela helping out.

 

“Layla…Layla…Layla!”

“Huh?”

“If all my employees worked as hard as you are doing right now I would be a happy man.”

“You couldn’t afford that employee,” Layla joked sticking out her tongue.

“Watch where you stick that tongue it could be dangerous,” Antonio said but Layla had already return to her preoccupation mind split between two areas – one on getting the bar ready and the other on Evangeline and what she might be going through.

 

A dazed Christian came waltzing into the club requesting a beer. He winked at Angela as he gulped down the entire contents before asking for another.

 

“Christian I’ve been trying to contact you the whole day. Where have you been?”

 

Cris glanced over at Layla before saying, “why don’t you ask your girlfriend.”

 

Hearing her name called Layla struck back, “Get a life.”

 

“I had one before other people interfered and here we are back to the same old shit!”

 

“Whoa…whoa…the both of you hold on. Am I missing something here?”

 

“Did you see Evangeline and the baby?”

 

“Yes I was over at the apartment earlier – helping out.”

 

“Well her little girl may probably be mine or…Todd’s.” Antonio was stunned.

 

“That’s why…Layla why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“I know you would open up your big mouth to that abusive tyrant over there.”

 

“I never abused Evangeline!”

 

“I saw the bruises on her arms and back Christian! I’m not blind and Evangeline wouldn’t lie to me!”

 

“Could you guys please calm down? I do have a business to run. I think we need to take this conversation somewhere else.” Antonio was right people were beginning to stare.

 

“Fine by me!”

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Angela could you please take care of the bar….this won’t take long.”

 

“Ok boss…,” Angela responded nonchalantly. There was always something going with the Vega men.

 

They ended up congregating in Antonio’s upstairs office. Layla strolled over to one corner arms crossed staring sternly at Christian. He stood at the other end staring back and Antonio stood in the middle like a boxing referee.

 

“Judging by your reaction Layla I bet you knew everything from the beginning.”

 

“I am sure of that Antonio.”

 

“Shut the fuck up Christian!”

 

“Layla, how could you do this to me…to Christian? He had a right to know what was going on.”

 

“When my sister shares a confidence with me I am not going around town blabbing about it – not even to you Antonio.”

 

“Now I see what our relationship really means to you.”

 

“So you are the perfect judge of someone’s character. Telling everyone what’s right and what’s wrong. That’s the problem with you Antonio…everything must be black and white in your world when there are a lot of gray areas.”

 

“All I know is that Evangeline kept her pregnancy a secret and look at where we are now. This could have been resolved a long time ago.”

 

“You know what…I’m tired of this shit! Screw you! Get the hell out of my way! Fuck you asshole!” Layla said as she strutted pass Christian slamming the door as she exited. Antonio gave him a stern look and Christian kept his mouth shut. 

 

**********

 

“You need to choose your women more carefully bro.”

 

“Really Christian just shut up! I’m tired of being dragged down in your mess. I happen to like Layla very much and neither you nor whatever is going on is going to screw this up for me.” Antonio roughly sat in his chair and stared off. “I don’t know Cris ever since you came out of the hospital you’re a changed man and it’s not for the better.”

 

“Are you believing what Layla told you man? Estar Mentirosa!”

 

“You are the one lying to yourself! The sooner you admit it the better for everyone involved!”

 

Christian decided to change the subject because it was turning into him being the bad guy instead of Evangeline concealing her pregnancy. “Are you saying that you agree with what Evangeline did to me?”

 

“Of course I don’t agree but Christian there are no winners here!” Cris knew better – to the victor go the spoils and that would be that smug bastard Todd.

 

Antonio turned his chair around and faced the window. His mother always wanted him to look out for his little brother but sometimes it was hard keeping that promise especially when it interfered with his own life. The room became eerily quiet until a contrite Christian pulled up a chair beside him.

 

“During my relationship with Evangeline Todd always kept getting in between. He would just have to call and there she went running off to his rescue. It made me very angry and sorry to say that it brought out the worst in me. Before she left I apologized for hurting her and tried to restart our relationship but it was too late…the damage had already been done.”

 

Christian continued reflecting on meeting Tangie for the first time…

 

“I held her and for the first time in my life I felt really scared. I’ve fucked up my life, career and relationship with her mother…what do I really have to offer compared to Manning. She is so perfect and her father is a washed up artist…” Christian looked down on his hands pondering.

 

“Don’t do this. You do have a lot to offer – it may not be money but you do have a big heart. Mamma and I will be right there to help you share that love.”

 

“That’s why I need you in my corner but it might breakup your relationship with Layla.”

 

“Damnit! You’re my brother and I will always support you for the right reasons. I just pray that you are wrong about Layla. We’ll work through this despite everything that is going on. I don’t think she’s really angry at me just the situation.”

“So how was it seeing Evangeline again?”

 

“I was at a lost for words. There is so much distance between us now and yet we may be joined together for life because of that beautiful little girl.” Christian paused. “Tomorrow is the DNA test. I hope you’ll come along.”

 

“I’ll be there.”

 

Shit…

 

“What?”

 

“I never asked Evangeline her name.”

  

 

Todd’s penthouse…

 

After leaving Evangeline’s apartment all Todd could think of doing was going home. It was empty, dark, cold and lonely – devoid of that feeling of love…Blair had primary custody of the kids and he wanted it that way. He was tired of the constant fighting and what it was doing to Starr and Jack. With Evangeline gone and his divorce finalized the new mission became finding his son but it was a classic Manning storyline – there was no happy ending. Now there may be a new beginning…

 

“Have you come back to me or am I still dreaming…you, me and our little angel Tangie...” The scotch was working its magic as it eased his tension. Phil Collins’ ‘In the Air Tonight’ echoed throughout the room.

 

A persistent knocking stirred him back to reality.

 

“Todd, open up. Let me in.”

 

“Just go away Vicki. I want to be alone with my thoughts!”

 

“And that’s the problem. I’m not going anywhere until you open this door.” He opened the door – who else was he going to talk to? Vicki gazed around as she entered.

 

“Sorry to disappoint you Vicki but I wasn’t in the mood for tearing the penthouse apart.” He did enough of that when he discovered that Sam was truly dead.

 

“Eerie music and scotch go great together,” Vicki responded sarcastically. Todd switched off the music. “Evangeline is back in town and you’re already a wreck.”

 

“Listening to music and drinking a glass of scotch isn’t a wreck Vicki. You need to check your own house before peaking into mine.”

 

“Ha…weren’t you the one crawling in my kitchen when your world was falling apart.”

 

“Evangeline was gone and I needed someone.”

 

“Now that she is back I guess I’m off the list. Is that what I’ve become to you?”

 

“Vicki you don’t understand what I feel. You’ve always wanted to push Blair and I back together and for a while I brought into it until she made me look like a fool time and time again.”

 

“What about Starr and Jack?”

 

“I have another someone to think about as well. She brought a surprise…a little baby girl that could be mine. I know in my heart that she is mine. Evangeline is just accommodating that ‘illegal’. He would be questioning the paternity. Could you believe she named her Tangie.” Vicki was dumbfounded

 

“Oh my…you and Evangeline…her and Christian…Baby…Tangie?!” Then a light went on in Vicki’s mind – visions of the Maury Show screaming through her brain. “How could she do this?”

 

“I’m not going to allow you to speak badly about Evangeline. Before you even think about it Evangeline didn’t leave because she was pregnant. If she had known I’m sure she would have stayed in Llanview. She has done the right thing in coming back.”

 

“Todd, are you listening to yourself? Standing here defending her actions…you seriously need to give up this dream of you and Evangeline being together.”

 

“I would die first before I ever give up that dream. You know what she did…she named our little girl Tangie. Evangeline is back and there is no way I’m going to let her get away again.” It was official Todd had clearly lost his mind Vicki thought. Delusional thinking had finally set in. The death of his son had finally taken a toll on his mental stability.

 

Suddenly Blair came bursting through the doors. It caught them both by surprise.

 

“How the fuck did she get in?!”

 

“I don’t know.” Then Todd remembered he had forgotten to lock the door. This night keeps getting better and better.

 

“Todd I’ve been calling you over and over again – tired of getting your stupid voicemail. Jack’s baseball game is tomorrow.”

 

“I heard the message now go away.”

 

“Why have you stopped listening to me? Where our kids are concerned we need to talk things over,” Blair admonished.

 

“We don’t need to talk we need to move on from one another.”

 

“I’m never going away Todd. I am the mother of your two kids and that whore Evangeline and her bastard child are never going to take that away.” News sure did travel fast. Blair always did have a way of finding out information. Todd snapped.

 

“For a bitch that spreads her legs more than Country Crock you’ve got a lot of nerve. Don’t you call Evangeline a whore or our little girl a bastard ever again!” Todd yelled as he grabbed her by the throat.

 

“Todd I can’t breathe…,” Blair said hoarsely.

 

“Todd, let go. TODD…LET GO!!!” Vicki screamed. He finally did. Blair coughed as air filled her lungs again. She went over to the bar poured herself a glass of club soda drinking it down quickly.

 

“Blair, are you alright?”

 

“Yeah I’m ok Vicki.”

“I can’t believe you tried to choke me to death ov…” Vicki shook her head at Blair. Now wasn’t the time to mention Evangeline’s name again. Blair stopped talking and rubbed her throat.

 

“Todd Manning, are you out of your mind?!”

 

“I told you from the beginning that I wanted to be alone. Everybody get out! Get Out! Get The Fuck Out! I want to be alone! ALONE!” They did as he commanded.

 

Crashing the glass across the wall he slumped into his chair letting out deep sigh. He hated that he lost his cool. Blair was a huge thorn in his side but hell he didn’t wish her any harm. She will probably be blabbing this incident to the kids and that witch Dorian. Even if she didn’t talk the bruising around her neck would say it all.

 

Todd, get a grip. This part of you has got to change for the sake of Evangeline and Tangie.

 

He silently whispered, “Evangeline…Tangie...”

 

 

1:00 a.m.

 

Another bottle feeding and Tangie was settling down in her mother’s arms.

 

“You are my life and I will do everything to protect you.” She enjoyed the connection between mother and daughter. Everyday she grew inside her she felt that overwhelming love. Tangie was that special part of her.

 

“Your mother has made a real mess hasn’t she? Todd and Christian…Antonio and Layla…and the list may go on and on but I have to stop running and face up to life.” She placed a small kiss on her forehead. “I promise you soon it will be all over.”

 

 

30 minutes later…

 

Evangeline had already placed Tangie in her crib sleeping to the tunes of bedtime lullabies. She was preparing to go to bed when she heard her cell phone ring. It was probably Layla she thought…who else could be calling her at this hour. The number looked familiar but it wasn’t Layla’s. It couldn’t possibly be…

 

“Hello…”

 

“Evangeline…”

 

“Todd, how did you get my new number?” Knowing Todd it sounded like a silly question. “Why are you calling me? Is something wrong?” Why did she ask that question?

 

“Vicki was at the penthouse earlier and then Blair came over uninvited of course…” Here we go again. She didn’t need to get involve in another conflict between those two.

 

“Todd I’m sure the two of you can work things out. I need to get some rest – remember…tomorrow.”

 “I know Evangeline but I lost it tonight. I can’t sleep. All I keep thinking about is losing you and my son. I just need someone to talk to; someone who can listen without passing judgments. Evangeline I need you. Can I come over?” 
Chapter 3 by chocolate470
Author's Notes:
I'm getting rid of Blair the easy way so sue me!!! LOL!!!

Christian couldn’t sleep and his tossing and turning was affecting his partner beside him.

 

“Christian!”

 

“Sorry but tomorrow is on my mind.”

 

“Gee when Evangeline reaches town the men go gaga.”

 

“Someone sounds real jealous,” Cris said sarcastically.

 

“Saint Evangeline holds nothing on me.”

 

Christian smirked as he hopped off the bed turning on the lamp on the nightstand. Blair was eyeing his sleek, toned, muscular form as she popped up and leaned against the head board.

 

“Fine ass.”

 

“Stop looking at my ass.”

 

“Well stop showing it!”

 

Blair threw a pillow at him while Christian pulled up his boxer. They were sort of friends but mainly sex buddies. It wasn’t a great evening either because everything was rushed.

 

“I’m taking off for a couple of weeks…have some important business to take care of.”

 

“Where the hell are you going? Running away from the fire…”

 

“I’ll leave the three of you to battle things out.”

 

“I’m surprised at you. What if its Manning’s kid? Didn’t you tell me no bastard will ever share in your children’s inheritance?”

 

“My children are secure. I made sure of that in our divorce. If there is one thing I love about Todd – he takes care of his own.”

 

“Don’t want to hear it. I’ll have to deal with him enough during the next few days. So where are you leaving the kids?”

 

“At their Aunt Dorian’s...”

 

“They should stay at Todd’s after all he is their father.”

 

“Sweetheart do you want his mind occupied. Starr is great at that. Jack can also be very needy.” What a way to view her kids.

 

“Your kids need to know that they might have a little sister.”

 

“Didn’t know you cared so much... I certainly thought that you were vying for father of the year.” She let out a yawn.

 

“Father of the year – what a joke... Here we are sneaking around in fancy hotels which you pay for.”

 

“A great fuck doesn’t come cheap.”

 

She wanted him to come back to bed but he wasn’t ready instead he went to the mini fridge and took out a Heineken.

 

“It’s Todd’s responsibility to tell our kids about his one night stand with Ms. Evangeline.”

 

“Hey you started it.”

 

“What the fuck…As I clearly recalled it was you who couldn’t take Evangeline’s confession of sharing a kiss with Todd and furthermore thought that they were getting their freak on up at Llantano Mountain – get it through your thick skull Evangeline doesn’t love you anymore so don’t try minimizing your role in this whole affair.”

 

“Newsflash Blair Todd hates your guts and wouldn’t come back to you even if his life depended on it!”

 

He was so right. She still remembered his hand around her throat. Evangeline truly had an affect on him. He placed her on this high pedestal and treated his children’s mother like dirt…bitch! Christian hadn’t seen the bruising. He was too busy pumping out his frustration to even notice.

 

“I’m tired and I want to go back to sleep.”

 

“Then do it!” He said angrily, “I’m not stopping you.”

 

He probably wouldn’t talk like that to Evangeline she thought as she slumped back into bed covering herself and going back to sleep.

 

He was the odd man out in this whole scheme. Todd and Evangeline had been friends for years before he entered the picture. What chance did he have even if the baby was his? Manning would still find a way to get back into Evangeline’s life regardless.

  

She was hoping that maybe he had changed his mind. Her body was gripped with a nervous anxiety. How would she react if he were near her and tried to kiss her again? That small kiss had left its indelible mark – lips tingling…wanting.

 

 

“No Todd you can’t come over. It’s late…”

 

“And you don’t trust me…We were once very good friends and I never tried to do anything unless you let me.”

 

“Why don’t you talk to Vicki? I’m sure she will listen to you.”

 

“After what I just did I don’t think we can talk right now. Evangeline I need someone to reach out to and you are the only one left on my list.” …maybe the one and only. “I would never ask you this if I didn’t need a friend.”

 

“Ok,” she sighed. She was tired of arguing and in any event he would also find a way to get around the argument.

 

 

It always seemed that she relented to some of his outrageous requests and here she was waiting for him in the wee hours of the morning with a young child sleeping.

 

She heard a faint knock at her door which made her flinch. She clutched her red silk robe tightly as she opened the door. His earlier ensemble had been replaced by a white short sleeve cotton shirt and dark jeans. A leather jacket slung over his shoulder which he deposited on the back of her chair. It’s almost as if he didn’t see her as he walked past.

 

“What did you do Todd?”

 

“Is Tangie asleep?”

 

“Yes.” His eyes requested an invitation which she granted with a slight nod. It was going to take awhile.

 

He walked in quietly hearing the lullaby playing softly. One look at her face and all his burdens seemed lighter. He brushed a small curl from the side of her face and she smiled. Seeing her reaction he cracked a smile in return. Just like her mother she knew how to hold a man’s heart.

 

When he returned he found Evangeline seated at the corner of her sofa. He looked different from the person that had just entered her apartment.

 

“Tangie has her mother’s charm.”

 

Brushing his comment aside Evangeline said, “You didn’t answer my earlier question.” Todd proceeded to sit at the other corner.

 

 “Vicki and I were talking when Blair came bursting in claiming to be hunting me down everywhere. When I told her to go away she called you and Tangie some horrible names and I lost it. I ended up choking her,” he said quietly. Evangeline looked at him horrified. “You could say thank goodness Vicki was there to calm down the situation.”

 

“What do you want me to say?”

 

“I don’t want you say anything. Heck I scared myself and I don’t scare that easily. I’m always in control or at least that’s what I tell myself,” Todd said looking straight ahead. Evangeline was beginning to understand what he might be going through.

 

“I think you haven’t fully recovered from the death of your son.”

 

“How long is it going to take? How could I love someone so much that I never even knew?”

 

“There is nothing in this world that can match the love that a parent has for a child. He is a part of you just like Tangie is a part of me.”

 

“I really feel that Tangie has become a part of me as well.” She didn’t want to go down this road.

 

“Let’s not talk about this right now.”

 

“Ok you’re right I won’t stray again. At first I blamed Margaret, then Spencer, then myself. Blair and I were constantly fighting. I couldn’t speak to her knowing that she had messed around with that quack. Another pig adding to her collection of men she cheated with. People would think from everything that I’ve done I would be the one whoring around town.”

 

“It’s hard to be in love with someone that can’t express love in the same way.” She was talking about John of that he was sure. “How could you be sure that you are free from that destructive love?”

 

“I just know that I am. You’ll just have to trust me even if my actions in the past haven’t demonstrated it.”

 

“Maybe you should have seen a psychiatrist.” Todd laughed a little.

 

“What could a head shrinker tell me? I already know that I was the one to blame – past misdeeds and corrupt living.”

 

“Even a corrupt bastard like you deserves some happiness especially if you’re trying to change.” A smile came across his face as he looked into her chocolate brown eyes.

 

“I guess you find me redeemable.”

 

“I always have and I always will,” she said quietly and he felt that she meant it too.

 

“I wish we could be great friends again. I know there is no going back and changing the past but one can always start over again.”

 

“Or one can try.” He really didn’t know what she meant. Was she opening or closing the door?

 

“Can we be friends again or has all been ended because of that one night.” He said it almost pleading.

 

She thought about it before saying in a low voice, “Sure we can.”

 

They both knew that there were questions that needed to be asked and things left unsaid but for this moment everything seemed ok. Evangeline went into his arms and stayed there. She had suddenly fallen asleep. It wasn’t as if Todd wanted to let her go. A tear streamed down his cheek as he listened to her breathe softly. It had taken over a year to get her back into his life and he wanted the feeling to remain but therein laid the snag – he would never want them to remain as ‘just friends’.

 

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

 

Ooh Baby you are like sweet honey. You are the sweetest women I’ve ever tasted.

 

Hmmm…I’m glad you feel that way but don’t keep me waiting too long. Ahhhh….Ohhhh…

 

Just like that baby…

 

Oooohhhh…I like that…I like that a whooole lot…go deeper…

 

I’ll take you places till you scream my name over and over and over again.

 

Toooddd…

 

 

*buzz…buzz* 6:00 a.m.

 

Evangeline’s alarm clock woke her from her erotic dream. She could feel a warm sensation between her thighs. Couldn’t believe she was dreaming about Todd in that way again – glad it was just a dream. She stretched out her arms and rubbed her eyes instantly remembering that she hadn’t fed Tangie since 1:00 a.m. A guilt-ridden Evangeline quickly jumped out of bed grabbing her robe and storming outside. It was way easier living in Atlanta…Lisa was there to help her with the baby. What type was she? A bad mother that’s what and Todd was partly to blame. As she was about to make a beeline for Tangie’s room she heard sounds coming from the living room and quickly turned in that direction.

 

“You have the cutest little smile. Yes you do. Look at those pretty brown eyes. Your daddy has to buy a shotgun to keep the guys away.” Tangie gurgled with joy. “I wonder where your mother is. I’m sure she is awake.”

 

“I’m right here,” Evangeline said with relief.

 

Todd gazed at her wishing he would be waking up in her arms some day. “Good Morning Sunshine.”

 

“Good Morning Todd. Good Morning Precious,” Evangeline said taking Tangie in her arms and giving her a kiss. Tangie became excited hearing her mother’s voice. “I didn’t know you stayed. I don’t even remember getting into bed.”

 

“I hope you don’t mind. You fell asleep in my arms and so I decided to take you to your room. There is no need to worry Tangie has already been fed changed.” Evangeline was impressed. It looked like Todd stayed up and didn’t get any sleep.

 

“Other than my Uncle Clay you are the only man that Tangie has responded to.”

 

“She knows that I could never hurt her. I love her very much,” Todd said caressing her cheek.

 

“Could you take care of her for a little while longer? I need to change, take a shower, and brush my teeth.”

 

“Hey go ahead and take care of yourself. Tangie and I are just fine.”

 

Thirty minutes later Evangeline returned dressed in knee-length spaghetti strapped black and red summer dress.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that? If it’s the hair…” She had it tied in a ponytail.

 

“I was admiring the way you look.”

 

“Oh you look good yourself considering.”

 

“What’s wrong with the way I look?”

 

“I saw it earlier this morning.” Todd smiled at that comment. “What’s that smell?”

 

“Tangie…”

 

“Waa…waa…waa…waa...”

 

“As you can see she doesn’t like this feeling.”

 

“Evangeline, it’s me Layla. Open up. ” She hadn’t heard Layla knocking at her door. A small fear struck Evangeline. Layla told her that she would be coming over to take her to the Llanview Medical Center but not this early.

 

“Just a minute as you can hear I have a bit of a situation.”

 

“Ok I’ll hold on.”

 

“Todd you need to hide,” Evangeline whispered harshly.

 

“Why don’t we give Layla a nice surprise. A picture of us together is better than a morning latte.”

 

“I don’t want her thinking that we spent the night together.”

 

“It really wasn’t the night but the early morning.” Evangeline glared at him.

 

“Ok I’ll do as you say,” he whispered by her ear. He knew that she wasn’t trying to but her perfume was very tempting. He kissed Tangie’s cheek before standing behind the door.

 

Tangie was starting to throw a fit when Evangeline opened it.

 

“Well finally. Morning Vange. Love the outfit. Hate the hair. What’s that smell?”

 

“I was starting to get ready before this happened. Could you please change Tangie for me?”

 

“Only for you sis but you owe me big time. Come here smelly diva.”

 

As Layla disappeared around the corner Todd came out.

 

“I guess its time for me to leave. Walk me outside.”

 

They looked at each other for a short while before she said in a soft voice, “thank you for taking such good care of Tangie.”

 

“There is no need to thank me. I would have done it anyway. Thank you for allowing me back into your life and being here for me.” He grasped both her hands and kissed each of them in turn before taking her in his arms. She braced for what was supposed to come but she only received a small kiss on her cheek. Todd gave her a devilish wink as he left. She could only smile.

 

“Evangeline! Where are the wipes? Nevermind!”

Chapter 4 by chocolate470
Author's Notes:
Christian loses his focus. Todd takes advantage of a moment.

Everything was rushing through her mind all at once and she had to take a moment to breathe and think about it. Running her hands across her face her thoughts finally came back to earth noticing that Todd had left his leather jacket behind. She touched it carefully sensing a feeling of his arms wrapped around her. Damn he still had that affect on her whenever he was close. He also had the words to make her feel at ease. Why don’t you just admit it Evangeline.

 

“Evangeline are you going to finish getting ready or are you going to stand around holding on to that jacket?” She wasn’t conscious that she was actually holding it.

 

“Of course Layla – its one of the most important days in Tangie’s and my life.” Layla wanted to ask but decided against it.

 

As Evangeline took Tangie away Layla’s cell phone came to life. When she looked at the caller id she said, “Not again Antonio I don’t want to talk right now.” She let it ring preferring not to take it off – Adrianna might call her with an emergency of some sort.

 

 

30 minutes later…

 

“Who was it?”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“I heard your phone earlier.”

 

“Oh it was no one…wrong number.”

 

“Antonio must be tagging along with Christian to give him support. I’m surprised he hasn’t called you.”

 

“Diva don’t you look cute dressed in your little red and white outfit,” Layla said stroking Tangie’s arm.

 

Seeing that Layla was skirting the issue asked, “Layla are you and Antonio having problems because of me?”

 

“He has his ideas and I have my own. Vange I really don’t want to talk about it. You should go and get Tangie’s bag prepared and then I’ll fix your hair.”

 

“Ok,” Evangeline responded warily.

 

After a few moments Tangie had fallen asleep in her carrier. Layla was busy doing Evangeline’s hair when Lisa called.

 

“Hi Cookie...”

 

“Hi Mom…”

 

“Well today is the big day.”

 

“Not really…the big day will be when the results come in.”

 

“You’re right so how’s my baby.”

 

“Taking her beauty sleep,” Evangeline laughed. “All she needs is to be fed, bathed, changed and played with for a little while before she’s gone. I think the most time I spend with her is five hours during the entire day.” Lisa suddenly went quiet. “Mom I know you miss her very much but I promise that we’ll come back for a visit real soon.”

 

“Promise me that you won’t take that long.”

 

“I promise mom.”

 

“Put me on speaker so that I can talk to the both of you.”

“Hey Layla how is my other baby?”

 

“Mom I haven’t been your baby for a long time. Tangie’s birth took care of that once and for all.”

 

“No matter how old you get you will always be my baby.”

 

“Ok mom.”

 

“Layla please take care of your big sister and my grandbaby.”

 

“Will do...”

 

“I almost forgot…please say hi to Antonio for me – a definite improvement over that mafia wannabe menace Vincent.”

 

“Mom!”

 

“I love you girls. Bye…”

 

“We love you too mom.”

  

“Can you believe what she just said?”

 

“That’s mom…”

 

A little while later…

 

“I must pat myself on the back because I did an excellent job.”

 

“Layla I’m not going to be in a beauty contest.”

 

“It doesn’t matter my gorgeous sister always needs to look her best.”

 

Evangeline went to look in the mirror that was hung against her living room wall. She loved the way it looked. It wasn’t overly done but was sleek and curled at the ends hanging loosely around her shoulders.

 

“A little makeup, lip gloss for that added touch and there I think we’re finished.” Evangeline gave her sister a warm hug.

 

“Well its time to wake up her majesty and she is not going to like it one bit.”

 

“Probably takes after her father.” Evangeline gave her a look. “Geez I was just joking.”

 

“So not funny…”

  

 

Llanview Medical Center….

 

“You shouldn’t be nervous Cris. It’s just a test.”

 

“Whose outcome could affect the rest of my life...” Catching a sight of Todd waiting outside didn’t help matters.

 

*************

 

“Well…well…well if it isn’t Pinky and the Brain.”

 

“Shut up Manning.”

 

“Or what Cris you will use your fists instead of your depleted brain power. I heard that boxing can do that to you. Antonio, how does it feel to have a dumb ass for a brother?” Antonio tried to hold back an upset Christian – his face flushed with anger. He wanted to plant his fists in Todd’s face. Todd on the other hand leaned calmly against the wall chewing away at the last morsel of his breakfast bar.

 

“Christian, stop it! Don’t you see what Manning is trying to do?”

 

“Listen to your brother. He’s the smart one,” Todd smiled as he started to walk away seeing Layla’s car approaching the parking lot.

 

:”Cris you need to calm down.”

 

“Alright…I’m ok,” Cris said shaking loose from his brother’s grip. He had to take a shot at Todd. “Hey Manning your ex-wife sure didn’t find me dumb last night!”

 

Todd stopped in his tracks turned around and said, “I always felt that Blair should have auditioned for the Geico commercial – she is so easy even a ‘caveman’ could do her.”

 

“Why you sonofabitch!” Christian jumped at Todd causing him to fall to the ground hard. Gripping Todd’s shirt lapels he reared back to punch Todd squarely in the face until he heard Evangeline.

 

“Christian Vega don’t you dare hurt him!” The sound of her voice confused him. He quickly let go got up and returned to where Antonio was standing looking very disappointed.

 

A concerned Evangeline rushed to Todd’s side. “Todd, are you alright?”

 

“A little bruised but now that you are here I’m definitely alright.”

 

“Were you behaving badly?”

 

“What can I say… he brings out the best in me. Where’s Tangie?” Todd asked getting up from the ground and brushing himself off . “I think nothing is broken but I will need a massage later.”

 

“Layla is taking out Tangie from her car seat. As for that massage later don’t hold your breath,” Evangeline grinned.

 

He was going to answer her comment but as he took a better view of Evangeline he saw a vision of loveliness standing before him. He tried to stop his heart from beating fast.

 

“There’s that look again.”

 

“Evangeline I am a man and sometimes we do compliment women with our eyes.”

 

“Hmmm…”

  

“Leave it to Todd Manning to provide fireworks outside a doctor’s office.”

 

“I aim to please. Hey Layla...”

 

“Hey Todd…” During the past year Layla’s opinion of Todd had cooled down considerably. She finally figured that when it came to Evangeline Todd always tried to do his best.

 

“Hey cutie – remember me…” Hearing Todd’s voice Tangie moved excitedly.

 

“It looks like Tangie is happy to see you Todd. I could imagine the look on Christian’s face if he saw this reaction.”

 

“Both of you need to realize that Christian might be Tangie’s father and we need to respect him including you Todd.”

 

“I never laid a finger on the guy. I can’t help it if words hurt him more than sticks and stones.”

 

“Evangeline, why are you defending Christian?” Layla asked.

 

“I am not defending him. It is my fault that he is involved in this mess and I understand what he might be going through seeing us huddled together.”

 

“Cris behaves like a big baby Vange. He should be able to take care of himself instead of letting others fight his battles all the time.”

 

**************

 

“Look at the three of them. It must be a let’s all bash Christian session going on. Poor Todd the big bad Christian tried to hurt him, Give me a fucking break.”

 

“Christian, if you are the father none of this will matter. Calmaté. We are all here for one reason.”  Antonio tried to look Layla’s way but she turned away.

 

“I think its time for all of us to go inside,” Layla reminded everyone.

 

The inside of Llanview Medical Center provided a cozy atmosphere with a modern touch.  Turquoise walls displayed abstract paintings and indoor greenery fitted perfectly within the spacious waiting area. The Center was owned and operated by Dr. Diane Stevenson one of Evangeline’s good friends and a person she could trust.

 

The receptionist approached them and said, “Ms. Williamson, Dr. Stevenson is expecting you. Right this way.” Mother and child along with the two prospective fathers proceeded to follow her down the corridor leaving Antonio and Layla behind to share an awkward moment of staring at one another. Layla finally put forward her hand before walking outside.

 

*************

 

Grasping her hand Diane said, “It’s great to see you back in Llanview again Evangeline.”

 

“One always has to come home again especially when they leave unsettled issues behind. This is…”

 

“Todd Manning – you own the ‘Sun’ newspaper right.”

 

“Right...”

 

“And I’m Christian Vega the other prospect.” Diane cleared her throat and started playing with Tangie.

 

“Your daughter is very beautiful. What’s her name?”

 

“Tangie Alexis Williamson,” she said softly.

 

It finally struck Christian. “Tangie! You named her Tangie!”

 

“Maybe you’re not so dense after all!”

 

“Aye…” Evangeline sighed.

 

“Gentlemen, there is no need to raise your voices or have an argument. You might upset the baby. Can we go ahead with the DNA test?” They all shook their heads yes and seated themselves.

 

**************

 

“Why are you walking away from me Layla?”

 

“I don’t want to discuss anything with you.”

 

“I wonder if this is really about this situation or the fact that you are afraid of going deeper in our relationship.”

 

“Don’t presume to think that you know everything about me Antonio Vega,” Layla said harshly.

 

“I never said I did. I just want us to talk things over. What’s wrong with that?”

 

“I’m here with Evangeline and you’re with Christian. There is nothing left to talk about.”

 

“Yes there is. Last night and this morning I tried calling you but you refuse to answer. Jamie really missed you last night.”

 

“I really missed her too but please don’t bring her in the middle of this. She has been through so much in her short life.”

 

“That’s why I want to build a future for the three of us.” Layla chuckled to herself. “What’s so funny?”

 

“You are. Yesterday you were accusing me of not being able to trust you and of orchestrating a betrayal – now you want a future with me. I’m not a yoyo Antonio and I hate when men treat me that way.” This time Layla went back inside sat down and grabbed a magazine. There was no getting through to her – not now at least but he was still going to try.

 

**************

 

“I’m going to swab the inside of everyone’s cheeks and the sample will be placed and sealed in their individual packets.”

 

“How long will the results take?” Evangeline asked.

 

“I’ll do my best to make sure that it takes five days at most.”

 

After a while they all filed outside. Evangeline stayed behind to talk to Diane.

 

“I hope to talk to you again under different circumstances.”

 

“I hope so too,” Evangeline said giving her friend a goodbye hug.

 

**************

 

“You better stay out of my way for the next five days Manning.”

 

“Here’s another thought stay out of mine...”

 

“Guys I’m tired of this,” Evangeline interjected.

 

“So tell me Evangeline were you trying to get back at me for sleeping with Blair or do you really believe in your heart that Todd’s the father when you named her Tangie.” An interested Todd wanted to know her answer as well.

 

“The day that you did what you did to me made you give up the right to question anything I do in my life.” Evangeline abruptly walked off and sighting Layla said, “Layla let’s go.”

 

“Right behind you…” Todd followed the two of them.

 

Antonio looked on as they left. Time to baby Christian...

 

Placing a hand on his back Antonio asked, “Are you ok?”

 

“She wants Tangie to be Todd’s I can feel it,” Christian said gritting his teeth.

 

“The baby is named Tangie?” Antonio clearly saw why Layla had to be so cagy about giving out the facts.

 

“Just drive me over to the café I think I need some of mama’s cooking to ease my mind.”

 

“Sure.”

 

***************

 

“Adrianna, why can’t you find the order? I left it in the top drawer. I’m not accusing you of anything I’m just saying that maybe you overlooked it. Ok…ok…I’m coming.” An exasperated Layla turned to Evangeline and said, “I’m sorry but Adrianna is having a major crisis and I need to go to the boutique maybe Todd could give you a lift home.”

 

“Yeah I can do that.”

 

Evangeline remained silent as she gathered her stuff and watched Todd take out the car seat and placing it in his vehicle. It seemed as if Layla was having one of those days as she quickly drove off.

 

“Ok princess I think you are securely strapped in.” Todd opened the door for Evangeline before running over to the driver’s side and buckling up.

 

“Don’t you have a driver?”

 

“He doesn’t have to know everything I do. I have to take the car for a spin and let him take a break once in a while.”

“Evangeline I thought maybe…I could take you over to my penthouse for quick tour.”

 

Evangeline turned around to check on Tangie, “That sounds ok.” Todd beamed before driving off.

 

Since it was soon lunchtime Todd stopped off at a McDonalds drive thru to order them some takeout. Tangie was starting to fuss. She was glad when they made it to the penthouse – feeding Tangie had become a top priority and so they didn’t have time to take that quick tour after all.

 

Sitting down in Todd’s huge kitchen around the island Evangeline reflected on her order – a chicken salad.

 

“Todd, what did you order again?” Evangeline asked gently patting Tangie on the back.

 

“A double cheese burger with a side order of large fries and a coke...,” Todd responded sitting across from her.

 

“Could you please give me a taste of your burger? I’m not feeling this chicken salad.” Todd had already taken a bite.

 

“I don’t know Evangeline this burger is pretty tasty. I don’t think I want to share. Hmmm…”

 

“Give me that.” Evangeline snatched it away and started feasting.

 

“Hey I didn’t tell you to order rabbit food.”

 

“Someone like you needs to eat more vegetables. Go ahead try it. It’s real good for you,” Evangeline laughed.

 

“No thanks I think I’ll save it for later,” Todd smiled digging into the fries and sipping his coke.

 

He was glad that he was spending time with two of his best girls. Making Evangeline laugh and the back and forth was an added bonus.

 

Cradling Tangie in her arms Evangeline said, “So tell mommy if you like hanging out at Todd’s penthouse. Say ahhh…for yes or say waa…for I hate Todd’s digs.” Tangie was really enjoying the interaction making cooing sounds as if she were responding to the question.

 

“Her response might be in between.”

 

“No way Evangeline I think that was a definite yes.” 

 

Todd looked on as Evangeline finished the last piece of the burger before saying, “It’s good that we are friends because you don’t get between a man and his meat.”

 

“It depends on the type of meat you are talking about,” Evangeline said slyly licking her fingers. He so wanted to lick her fingers as well as her mouth. Her parted lips granted him the access he needed as he leaned forward and started kissing her passionately. Entwined tongues danced together feverishly only pulling apart from the lack of air.  

 

Suddenly they heard his front door buzzer.

 

“I think you should get that,” a breathless Evangeline said.

 

Staring deep into her eyes Todd said, “I think I’ll see who it is before telling them to go away. This isn’t over.” As he left Evangeline took a deep breath. Saved by the bell.

 

When he looked through his peep and opened the door he knew exactly who it was.

 

“Dad surprise!” Todd was indeed surprised he thought that they were at school. “Since you decided to take a day off from work we decided to take a day off from school. Since mom is away we thought we will give you a visit,” Starr said.

 

“I call that playing hooky and I don’t like it.”

 

“Why?” Evangeline came outside with Tangie. “Evangeline I should have known!”

 

“Hi Ms. Evangeline,” Jack said rushing to greet her.

“Hi Jack.”

 

“What is she doing here?” Starr asked angrily.

 

“Evangeline, could you please take Jack to the kitchen. I need to have a word with my daughter alone.”

 

*************

 

“I haven’t seen you in a longtime. Were you far away?”

 

“I was in Atlanta.”

 

“She’s beautiful Ms. Evangeline. Is she yours?”

 

“Yes she is…” Their voices trailed of.              

 

**************

 

“Starr I’m not going to have you asking me questions in that tone or disrespecting Evangeline. I can have whomever I want over at this penthouse.”

 

“But dad she gave up on you and when you really needed her she wasn’t there for you.”

 

“That’s a blatant lie and you know it! How could you forget that Evangeline was there for me during the darkest days of my life? I have the scars to prove it.” Starr flipped her hair and crossed her arms staring straight ahead. “I’m sorry that you and Jack cannot have the happily ever after that you wanted but I must move on with my life.”

 

“Who’s the baby?” Starr asked coolly turning to face her father.

 

“She is Evangeline’s daughter Tangie. She could possibly be my daughter as well.”

 

“Dad how could you? I hate the both of you!” Starr yelled as she stormed off slamming the door behind her.

 

“That went as well as I expected.”

End Notes:
Next Chapter Todd and Evangeline finally have their heart to heart.
Chapter 5 by chocolate470
Author's Notes:
I WANT TO ACKNOWLEDGE IDJUNKIE FOR CREATING AN AWESOME BANNER FOR MY FANFIC. YOU REALLY CAPTURED WHAT I WAS TRYING TO CONVEY TO THE READERS. I KNOW IT TOOK YOUR TIME AWAY FROM YOUR OWN STORIES AND I AM VERY GRATEFUL THAT YOU DID THIS FOR ME.

It seemed like they were both waiting for him as he entered the kitchen. One thing he knew for sure was that the mood had drastically changed from the way it was earlier – Evangeline kept her attention squarely on Tangie whom she was rocking gently while Jack looked on stoically. Upon seeing his father Jack came back to life blue eyes staring at him…questioning.

 

“Dad, where’s Starr? We heard the door slam so we were just wondering.”

 

“As you clearly heard she is very upset with me…so she left.”

 

“Where did she go?”

 

“I don’t know buddy but don’t worry I’ll find out sooner or later.” Todd took a seat on a chair by the kitchen island and Jack climbed on his lap leaning against his chest. “Are you hungry Jack?” he asked fiddling around in his loose strands.

 

“Starr and I had something to eat before we came over.” At that point light conversation was effectively over. Todd glanced at Evangeline whose focused hadn’t change since his return. He loved Starr but she had come at the most inopportune time and her display was really atrocious.

 

“I believe its time for us to go home,” Evangeline said softly.

 

“You haven’t had your tour as yet.” …was Todd’s rebuttal.

 

“We could do it at some other time. I’m mentally tired and Tangie needs to sleep in her crib. Jack looks like he wants to spend some quality time with his father.”

 

He wasn’t going to fight her about it especially with Jack around. This was the logical Evangeline at her best. He knew sooner or later his opportunity would come again. “Ok I’ll drive you and Tangie home.”

  

Two hours later….

 

After wondering aimlessly around Angel Square Starr had found her way to Vicki’s office at the Banner. Wanting to vent her frustration she waited anxiously for Vicki to return who at that same moment happened to receive an important phone call that she preferred to take outside.

 

“Sorry I took so long – had to deal with some staff issues as well but you don’t care about those. So why did your dad upset you so much?” Vicki asked leaning by the side of her desk. Starr was prepared for her detailed explanation.

 

“Evangeline comes back to Llanview for a couple of days and my dad drops everything for her. He barely notices us. We stop by for a quick visit and he is upset because we are not in school. That’s not right. Exams are over. Summer is here. I wonder what the rest of us mean to him.”

 

“Todd sees Evangeline as his best friend. You can’t fault your father for that. She has seen him through some tough times in his life.”

 

“When dad found out that my little brother was tragically killed, she didn’t return to Llanview. He was so devastated but there was no sign of ‘Ms. Evangeline’,” she said sarcastically.

 

“Maybe she didn’t know.”

 

“She knew and my…hasn’t things changed for Ms. Evangeline – a new baby daughter named Tangie that could be my father’s. He is probably looking at her as the next Mrs. Manning.”

 

“And what is it to you?! The last time I checked I was still the parent,” Todd said closing the door behind him with a thud. This Todd appeared different…sinister…not the doting father.

 

A betrayed looked came across Starr’s face, “Aunt Vicki you told him where I was?!”

 

“Your father called checking to see where you were and I felt I had to allay his fears.” Starr sighed heavily. Sometimes there was no getting away from her father.

 

“Here you have my daughter going behind my back and making assumptions about what I should and shouldn’t do with my love life – my sister listening intently.”

 

“Didn’t I tell you where she was Todd?” Todd mockingly clapped his hands while Vicki looked at him disgustedly. He returned his attention to Starr.

 

“Starr did you give a damn when your mother was fucking around on me.”

 

“Todd…” Vicki interjected.

 

“She needs to know exactly how I feel instead of sweeping everything that her mother has done to me under the rug. I will claim credit for my own bad behavior but I never in my life fucked around on her.”

 

“Dad I never said that mom wasn’t equally responsible for problems in your marriage but you have always found a way back to each other.”

 

“Plainly put Starr your mother was readily available.” It was as if Todd had slapped her across the face.

 

“Todd again you have gone too far.”

 

“I haven’t gone far enough. Our love was gone a longtime ago. For the sake of the kids as they say. She met me at a weak moment.”

 

“You were just using her!” Starr said with a horrified look at her face tears starting to creep down her cheeks.

 

“Ha! Clearly you don’t know your mother very well. Every turn she sleeps with men after men in Llanview and you want me to sleep with that whore…”

 

“Todd enough!”

 

“Dad, stop it! I don’t want to hear anymore!” She rushed into Vicki’s arms.

 

Vicki cradled a sobbing Starr in her arms and said, “Starr was just expressing what children feel when their parents get divorced. They want to get back to familiar things and hate it when everything has changed.”

 

“She came into my home and disrespected the woman I love!”

 

“And the one you want to start a brand new family with…forgetting about Jack and me...,” she said between sobs. Todd was finally able to see where she was coming from and relaxed his tone.

 

“Starr, Baby…Come here.” Starr gingerly strolled to his awaiting arms. “You have always been my strongest defender even when your mother turned her back on me and believed in Dr. Evil. I tried baby I really tried for all those years but there was nothing left. Remember you and Jack will always have my love because you are my family. The best thing that happened to Blair and I was the both of you.” She looked up to gaze into his eyes as he lightly stroked her hair. “There is no going back. It is finally time for me to start a new chapter in my life and find some happiness.”

 

As if she was beginning to understand Starr asked, “Does she know how you feel? Does she want to be with you?”

 

“I think that she knows but she is fighting against it. Your little display at the penthouse didn’t help my chances of convincing her that we should be together.”

 

“Sooner or later I will accept your relationship with Evangeline but at this time I will support you going after your happiness.”

 

It wasn’t a definite acceptance but it would do for now. Todd hugged her tightly kissing her on the forehead. “Thanks Shortman. I think you need to go and check in on your little brother. I bet he’s getting lonely in the cafeteria.”

 

“Ok dad I will. By the way I have nothing against Tangie. I hope that she is yours.”

 

“I hope so too.” He winked at her as she left.

 

*****************

 

“Let’s hear it Vicki. Bring it on. You shouldn’t have spoken that way to your daughter.”

 

“Far be it for me to say anything. The name Manning means never having to say I’m sorry.” Vicki went to take a seat behind her desk while Todd rested his thigh against it.

 

“I have told someone sorry before.”

 

“Let me take a wild guess – Evangeline.”

 

“Why do you have such a huge problem with Evangeline? I thought my big sister would be the one supporting my chance at happiness.”

 

“I don’t have a problem with Evangeline it’s just that you and Blair have always gotten back together.”

 

“I was really a screwed up bastard when we were together and Blair encouraged it along. She messed with my heart that was already fragile. Evangeline is a beckon of hope in the dark spaces of my heart. I want to turn my life around because of her.”

 

“And you want to be Tangie’s father as well.”

 

“I do love my little angel,” Todd smiled, “she always does the cutest little things even when she cries.”

 

“I hope you’re not trying to replace Sam. It was a great loss for all of us and it still must be really hard to accept. You need to realize that Tangie is not Sam.” It angered Todd to hear her say it in that way but he kept calm.

 

“I know that Tangie isn’t Sam. I will always miss Sam but he could never be replaced in my heart. All of my children have their individual traits and I love them as separate human beings. I never had the chance to get to know my son but I will with Tangie.”

 

“You must remember that Tangie could also be Christian’s biological daughter.” Vicki was behaving like a stone-cold counselor that told you nothing but the facts.

 

“You are really starting to piss me off Vicki. You think I give a shit if the test proves that Christian is Tangie’s father. He will be just another sperm donor. I will be her father!”

 

“I know you don’t want to hear this but there are things that you and Evangeline need to talk about. My best advice is for you to take it easy before you rush into something that you may both regret.”

 

“It’s too late for your advice Vicki. We already have something and I’m not regretting it not for one moment.”

  

Later on...

 

The sky over Llanview was beginning to get dark and gloomy. Todd was standing once again in her living room while she gazed out the window. During her time alone she had convinced herself that their kiss didn’t mean anything – just caught up in a moment. He really hadn’t said anything when he dropped her off at home earlier and wasn’t saying much now. Of course he had brought a present…for Tangie. It was a teddy bear clad in a pink t-shirt marked ‘Daddy’s Little Baby Girl’ a gold necklace hung from its neck.

 

Todd remembered clearly what he told Tangie when he took the teddy bear to her room.

 

“I promise you that before the night ends your mother and I will be together – we will be a family. Your daddy usually gets what he wants.”

 

Clad in a strapless thigh-length stripped dress hair tied in a ponytail she had waited for him to come back from his visit. The window seemed to be her best retreat. Now she could feel his eyes exploring from the soles of her bare feet to the top of her smooth, lean legs.

 

“Starr was a sign that our relationship should remain platonic.” Her words jarred him back to reality.

 

“Oh I see we are looking for supposed signs,” Todd said in a lighthearted tone.

 

“Could you please be serious?”

 

“I am being serious. You always don’t want to go down that road when it comes to me talking about us.”

 

“There is no ‘us’. The night we had sex…”

 

“No…the night we made love. It was the best experience in my life so far with you and it may have created one of the best things to happen to ‘us’.” Evangeline ignored the comment.

 

“The night we had sex was merely because of our deep hurt. We found out about Cris and Blair and we took it from there. It was a huge mistake!”

 

“Are you calling our daughter Tangie a mistake?”

 

“Don’t try to misconstrue what I just said. We were really great friends.”

 

“Who grew closer and closer – it was always within us to go further but we were too scared to do anything about it. Remember Llantano Mountain.”

 

“You always want to see things your way instead of looking at the situation as it actually occurred.”

 

“While you always runaway from things that are too overwhelming for you to handle.”

 

Thinking that Todd was referring to her hidden pregnancy Evangeline said, “So tell me Todd what do you really feel about me keeping my pregnancy a secret. When Layla made that call and told you about Tangie what was your first reaction? I’m really curious.”

 

Todd inhaled then exhaled before joining her by the window and saying, “I felt like someone had dropped a bomb on my heart. The only person that has understood who I am for so long and has traveled a long and tough road with me – desperately fighting for my innocence, crying at my execution and watching me die could keep that part of her hidden away for over a year. Even if we only shared a special friendship what did it really mean to have her walk away and do this to me?” He paused for a moment reaching out and clutching her hands as she gazed at him. “I could have been there caressing your belly; massaging away some of your aches and talking to our baby girl.” Todd ran his fingers through his hair before continuing, “The most important thing I missed was being at the birth of our first child together…watching Tangie take her first breaths in this world and cutting the umbilical cord – all of that you denied me.” There it was…the raw truth. She had hurt him deeply and her baby too.

 

Feeling a lump in her throat she still managed to say, “Then why are you here wanting to be with me.”

 

“Like I told you in the beginning I have always felt a strong connection between us. I knew you didn’t do it to intentionally hurt me and then there was numb nuts to think about. You were so confused and scared.” She sensed that his comment was sincere but she was still apprehensive of his gesture.

 

It started to rain and Evangeline became mesmerized by the droplets banging against her window pane. She turned away from him. He didn’t feel rebuffed because she was probably contemplating her next move. There were other ways of getting Evangeline to realize that they were meant to be together.

 

The room became far too quiet – only the sounds of the rain could be heard from outside so he decided to turn on the radio. After a few channel changes Todd found what he wanted to hear – Kenny Loggins’ ‘Forever’. It was the perfect song for the perfect moment.

 

Forever

 

Now, while we’re here alone

And all is said and done                    

Now I can let you know

 

“Evangeline”

“Yes Todd.”

“Come on and dance with me. No matter what happens between us I still want you as my best friend. I know you feel the same way.”

 

Because of all you’ve shown             

I’ve grown enough to tell you           

You’ll always be inside of me           

 

He offered her a hand which she gladly accepted. She could never refuse him as their fingers interlocked and they danced cheek to cheek.

 

How many roads have gone by         

So many words left unspoken                       

I needed to be by your side               

If only to hold you

 

“You smell damn good.” It was Night Fragrance by L’Eau d’lssey. Instead of responding she closed her eyes and let her body move in time with his rhythm.

 

Forever in my heart                            

Forever we will be                             

And even when I’m gone                  

You’ll be here in me

Forever                                               

 

I wonder what he’s thinking. You know what he’s thinking. Aren’t you feeling it too?

 

Once, I dreamed that you were gone

I cried out trying to find you             

I begged the dream to fade away      

And please awaken me

 

It wasn’t a dream. It was a nightmare. You left my side and it grieved me. I could never let you go again.

 

But night took a hold of my heart

And left me with no one to follow    

the love that I lost to the dark                       

I’ll always remember                          

 

They danced at their own pace her arms now encircled around his neck foreheads touching. His hands locked around her waist.

 

Forever in my heart

Forever we will be

And know that when I’m gone

You’ll be here in me

Forever in my heart

You always thought I’d be

I’d be yours

Forever….

 

When that song ended ‘All Cried Out’ by Cult Jam came on but the song wasn’t really on their minds as they remained embraced and continued dancing. Todd was being the perfect gentleman even though his body was craving for more of her.

 

“There are things that I love about you and others I don’t.”

 

“I feel the same way.”

 

Evangeline lifted her head from his and looked into his amazing blue eyes. They seem to be staring into the depths of her soul and for a second it shook her sensibilities.

 

“I love the way you are with your kids and how you put yourself on the line for those you love but I hate some of your methods.”

 

“Ok good enough,” Todd smiled, “I love your smile, charm and the way you saw my innocence even when everyone was screaming guilty. You almost lost everything just for me.”

 

“I couldn’t see an innocent man be put away for a crime he didn’t commit. Then again I was beginning to see you as my friend.”

 

Todd stroked the side of her face gently, “Evangeline you are the most beautiful person inside and out. I have never met someone like you before that I instantly want to share my life with but I hate how you didn’t compliment me on my handsome features.” It induced a smile on her part. “There is that smile.”

 

“Todd, what am I going to do with you…,” she whispered softly.

 

“Love me as I love you.” He wasn’t afraid to say it.

 

“I don’t think I can do it. I’ve opened up my heart once before and…”

 

“It was broken in two. That bastard may have moved on with his life and yet he still has so much control over you.”

 

“He…I’m…” Words escaped her and she closed her eyes tightly trying to fight back the tears. Everything he said was true – she had allowed John to take away her power to love another man. Todd moved a finger across her cheek.

 

“I’m sad and lonely too and in the past I have allowed others to guide my path in this world but it ends tonight. No longer am I going to make circumstances control my future because it is with you, Starr, Jack and Tangie. I can mend your broken heart because I love you and would never do anything to intentionally hurt you. Please let me…” His intense stare enthralled her mind and his words opened up a part of her not even John came close to reaching. She finally knew what she wanted and he was standing right before her eyes.

 

“Todd…baby…I love you too.” Tears came streaming down her cheeks and his lips covered hers with a force that made them backup against the wall.

 

Their lips abruptly let go and Todd said, “Say it again my love. My heart needs to hear it again.”

 

“I love you Todd Manning…completely. I will never stop loving you.”

 

“Nor could I ever stop loving you,” Todd giggled lightly, eyes glistened by his own tears.

 

They exchanged small kisses and little tongue teases before delving deeper into a frantic kiss – tongues twisting and caressing…soft moans echoing across the room. Evangeline unbuttoned his shirt her hands glided across his chest before pulling him close.

 

“Feel how much I want you,” Todd’s hot breath whispered against the nape of her neck. “Ahhh…” Evangeline’s hand slowly began to massage his swollen phallus straining and wanting to be released.

 

Tugging at her dress allowing it to slide to the floor he easily exposed a pair of chocolate covered goodies waiting for him to suckle. He gave both its own special attention allowing sensual sensations to permeate her body as his tongue flicked each erect tip over and over again while his fingertips prodded the neglected areole.

 

Todd’s right hand drifted downward dipping past her lacy underneath he found the velvet of her inner thigh. Two fingers penetrating deep inside as his thumb massaged her swollen clitoris to total exhilaration. Evangeline moaned in ecstasy her body giving way to wave after wave of orgasmic heightened excitement.

 

“I’ve missed you…I’ve missed all of you. No one else can give me what you can.” He fingered her slowly at first then faster and faster. Evangeline body trembled for more. 

 

“I don’t know how long I can wait for you to be inside me. I hope you brought what we need.” Evangeline whispered. Todd removed cream coated fingers placing them in his mouth and licking them clean. “You are so delicious.” He proceeded to eagerly search his back pocket.

 

“I’m ready for you baby,” he said producing a pack of condoms taking one from its contents while the others fell to the floor. Evangeline laughed as she held the condom in her hands. He was definitely prepared to get some tonight. An anxious Todd unzipped his trousers along with his boxers and shoes quickly slid them off discarding them to the side. Evangeline followed his lead by removing her loved soaked panties.

 

She felt for his shaft again and it was long and thick, sticky with arousal ready to be covered. It was the same way that night they gave into to their desires.

 

“It hurts when you tease me this way.” Slowly she moved the condom upwards causing Todd to hiss fighting to maintain his control. She loved holding its huge length in her hand. Becoming very frustrated Todd grabbed her arms and placed them above her head. “I thought you couldn’t wait but two can play this game.”

 

He placed his shaft at the entrance of her love center sliding it along her swollen slit. She licked her lips seductively watching his eyes already glazed over with desire. Who was going to be the first to give in to their need?

 

“Baby, believe me I wasn’t teasing…I just want to hold…what belongs to me.” Her body pulsated for him to be deep inside.

 

Todd nipped at her earlobe, “Every part of me belongs to you.” He inched his shaft slowly inside. “Hmmm….as you belong to me.”

 

“Oooohhh….every part of me belongs to you,” she repeated.  “More…more…deeper…deeper.”

 

He let go of her arms and began thrusting and filling her with ever inch of himself. Evangeline wrapped her left foot around his waist stretching and arching her back to accommodate his huge erection.

 

“Shit…” It had been too long and it felt so damn good.

 

He grasped her buttocks moving her up and down the length of his shaft. Sweat poured from their bodies and Evangeline felt herself rising from the ground as Todd moved faster and deeper hitting against her g-spot.

 

“Oh…Yes!” Instantly she was being taken over the edge and held on as her hot flesh suddenly tightened around him.

 

“Baby I’m coming…”

 

“I’m already theeerr…”

 

Pure pleasure enveloped them and muffled screams were heard as they collapsed to the ground thoroughly satisfied. They laughed breathing fast trying to catch back their breaths.

 

“What was that?”

 

“A year off from sex...”

 

“Never again...I love you.”

 

“Never…ever again…I love you too.”

 

Tender lips kissed gently before drifting off to the bathroom for another round of love making and a refreshing shower. They laid across her bed naked entangled in one another’s embrace bodies still tingling from their lustful interludes. To Todd it felt like a dream as his fingers caressed the curve of her back. It had been over a year and Evangeline was lying in his arms hair spread out loosely on his chest. If he uttered a word the spell may be broken.

 

“You could have made my return to Llanview a living nightmare but you have been real supportive and I love you for treating me well.”

 

“Vicki and Starr would say that I’m behaving like a love sick puppy.”

 

“Well they are so wrong. The heart wants what it wants and who are we to deny ourselves.”

 

“Evangeline…look at me.” She rose up on her elbows to gaze into those gorgeous blues which were looking pretty serious.  “That question that Christian asked you – I want to hear it from your lips even though I’m sure I know the answer. “

 

“Yes my love I’ve always wanted Tangie to be yours. When I was giving birth I wanted you there…beside me. I knew eventually I had to sort out my feelings for you and after so long I didn’t know what I was feeling.”

 

“You make a guy work hard.”

 

“In the end it was definitely worth it,” she said giving him a kiss.

 

“Baby…listen to me… this might be short notice but I want to take our relationship to the next level.”

 

“What do you mean?” She could hear her heart beating faster and he took a hold of her left hand.

 

“We have known each other for many years…good times and bad. When you were gone from my life I felt lost and when you came back I realized that I can’t live without you and would never want to lose you again. It is our time and we need to…”

 

“Damnit Todd, just say it!”

 

“Marry me Evangeline!”

 

Evangeline shook her head over and over again and said, “Yes my love.”

 

“It isn’t too soon. You don’t need to think about it,” Todd said a bit doubtful.

 

She kissed him passionately, “What is there to think about. You have all of me and Tangie has you wrapped around her finger.”

“I love you. You love me. We’re a happy family,” Evangeline sang sweetly.

 

“With a great big hug and a kiss…from…me,” Todd was clearly off key but Evangeline fell backwards laughing that Todd knew this theme song.

 

“Who doesn’t know ‘Barney’? I’ve got two kids.” Evangeline was still laughing. “We’ll see how long you’ll be laughing my love,” Todd said as his mouth covered her womanly cove. He was right it wasn’t long.

Chapter 6 by chocolate470

Having a baby to take care of didn’t give a couple the luxury of lying around and cuddling with one another so while Evangeline prepared breakfast Todd did his best to  feed and entertain little Tangie although he kept going into the kitchen from time to time.

 

“Something smells good in the kitchen. I wonder what your mom is making.”

 

“Maybe I could finish breakfast if I had less interruption,” Evangeline smiled as Todd gave her a sweet kiss.

 

“Just one more and then we’re leaving,” Todd said giving her another kiss, “Baby please don’t take long your man is starving for attention and some of your good home cooking.” Evangeline shook her head and laughed as they left again.

 

A few minutes later…

 

Breakfast was finally ready. Last night’s rain had cooled the atmosphere enough for Todd, Evangeline and Baby T to enjoy breakfast out on the terrace where a table and two small chairs were situated. Evangeline brought out stray that had a plate of stuffed strawberry-filled French toast, a glass jug containing orange juice, two glasses, plates, silverware and a couple of napkins.

 

“I hope you enjoy it because I’m trying out a recipe I saw on ‘Big Daddy’s House’,” Evangeline said as she took Tangie into her arms. Todd prepared his plate and took a first bite.

 

“Umm…umm…I was right you are a great cook.” His fork and mouth emphasized that point. “This time I’m really getting the complete package.”

 

Evangeline beamed and said, “Were you expecting a bowl with some cereal? My mama didn’t raise me that way. Least you forget I’m not your ex-wife.”

 

“Sweetheart I already know that but last night and this morning solidified that belief,” Todd answered slyly filling his mouth with more of the stuffed French toast.

 

“I’m glad you got the point, “she smiled. Evangeline gazed at Tangie whose attention seemed focused elsewhere. “Tangie looks rather bored with us. Like her daddy she craves lots of attention. Don’t you my angel?” Tangie was enjoying sucking on her fingers. Evangeline played with her chubby cheeks making her chuckle.

 

A surprised Todd responded, “You finally said the D word.”

 

Evangeline thoughtfully sipped her orange juice…whatever happened to respecting Christian and giving him a chance. “So…whatever happens you are going to her daddy. She has grown quite attached to you.”

 

“And so has her mother but I’m not complaining. It is great to have two beautiful women in love with you.”

 

They stared at each other lovingly. It was known that Todd wouldn’t be staying much longer and he hated the fact that he had to leave but there was something very important he had to take care before going off to work. Evangeline would have loved to go with him but now wasn’t the appropriate time.

 

“Baby I’m sorry you can’t come along.”

 

“Like I told you earlier I completely understand the reason why. You and the kids have to handle this moment together. My presence would make everyone feel uncomfortable. Tangie and I would be fine hanging out together. I’m also planning on making a spa appointment.” After last night and this morning she was feeling a bit sore. Todd’s lovemaking was hitting on all cylinders. She didn’t say why she was going to the spa but clearly he knew by the gleam in his eyes.

 

“Baby you are already beautiful and my hands can be magical if you require my services.”

 

“I need more than your magical touch Mr. Manning.”  A manicure and pedicure as well.

 

“Other parts of me can be oh so magical if you would give them try,” Todd said gazing at her intently.

 

“Todd, behave…,” Evangeline said softly lifting Tangie to her shoulder.

 

Todd sighed. Their little playtime was over. “You’re right I need to remain focused even though…I just don’t know.” He had taken his last bite and his eyes drifted afar off.

 

“It’s going to be a very difficult morning for you.”

 

“It will but I have to look at the positives in my life. Two of them are sitting right at this table.”

 

Todd checked his watch and saw that it was time for him to leave. Rising from the table Evangeline placed Tangie in his arms and they began walking back inside until they paused at her apartment door.

 

“Remember we have a special date tonight.”

 

“But Todd I need a babysitter and I’m not going to lean on Layla again. I’ve done it too much already,” Evangeline said almost whining.

 

“Then bring Tangie along. I’m sure my little princess won’t mind.” Todd made a funny face and Tangie squealed.

 

“A baby going out in the evenings…I don’t think so.”

 

“Either way Evangeline we are going out this evening so be prepared.” It was his final word on the matter.

 

“Ok Todd no use arguing with you I’ll work something out.”

 

Todd kissed her gently, “you always do.”

 

“I wish you could come back and stay with me and Tangie.”

 

“I desperately want to but I need to finish the layout of the paper and I also need to finish my editorial. I promise I’ll make it up to you tonight. Alright my love…” Truth was he didn’t want her to feel obligated to baby him when she had Tangie to take care of.  

He pulled her closer brushing his lips against hers before entering and giving her another kiss that was longer and sweeter. “Thanks for the superb breakfast sexy mama. I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

“I love you also my little princess.” He gave her a loving squeeze and smack on the lips. “Don’t give your mother too much trouble today.” Tangie started gurgling fingers in her mouth again. “Keep your phone on. I’ll call you later.”

  

 

Angel Square Diner…

 

“Good Morning Mamá,” Antonio said giving Carlotta a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

 

“Buenas dias mi hijo and my beautiful nieta. I swear you get prettier everyday.”

 

“Morning grandma!” Jamie yelled giving her a huge hug.

 

“Tell grandma what do you want for breakfast?”

 

“Booberry waafuls.”

 

“Coming up.” Carlotta laughed. “And what about you hijo?”

 

“Just coffee mamá.” Carlotta looked at Antonio. “Mamá I’m fine ok. I’m just not hungry right now. Jamie needs to eat some breakfast before I drive her off to daycare.” Reluctantly she left to make the order while Antonio and Jamie seated themselves. The diner wasn’t that crowded.

 

5 minutes later…

 

“Here you go mi amor. Your blueberry waffles and a glass of orange juice. Here’s your cup of coffee Antonio freshly brewed.”

 

“What do we say?”

 

“Thanks grandma.”

 

“You’re welcome Jamie. Good girl.” Carlotta and Antonio clapped. Jamie started digging in. “Jamie not too fast.”

 

“Ok daddy.” She slowed down the best she could.

 

“Thanks for the coffee mamá,” Antonio said taking a sip.

 

“Bueno hijo. Antonio I’ve tried calling your brother so many times but he hasn’t picked up the phone. Do you know how and where he is?”

 

“I don’t know and I really don’t care. He needs to handle his own life,” an aggravated Antonio responded.

 

“Christian your brother and we need to continue supporting him.”

 

“Support yes but not run after him. He’s slacking off and it’s affecting his training. It’s also affecting my life.”

 

“I see what this is about. Layla still hasn’t talked to you. Antonio, she needs to understand that you will be on your brother’s side.”

 

“Layla and I have a deeper issue and I can’t figure it out and talk to her as long as I have to keep an eye on Cris and take care of Jamie and take care of Capricorn. It’s too much.”

 

“Daddy I miss Layla,” Jamie interjected in mid-chew.

 

“I know Jamie. I know. I miss her too but daddy will do all he can to get her back.”

 

“Come on Jamie let me help you cut up these waffles.” Just when things were looking up for the Vegas life intervenes. “There you go. Everything will be just fine.”

 

“Promise grandma.”

 

Carlotta gave her a little squeeze and said, “I promise.” Antonio also hoped he could keep his promise.

  

 

Llanview cemetery…

 

“You’re a bit late dad,” Starr said calmly.

 

Starr and Jack were already standing by the headstone – a bouquet of white roses in her hand and a collection of white balloons with gold ribbons in his.

 

“I was contemplating whether doing this was such a good idea after all.”

 

“It’s not going to be easy but we all agreed to do it.”

 

“Dad we must do it even if it’s just this one time.”

 

“Alright Starr and Jack I know.” An earlier conversation made him realize how important the moment was. “That’s why I’m here.”

 

“Did you bring it?”

 

“Yeah it’s right here.”

 

Todd revealed a box filled with gold impressions of some of the gifts a little boy would receive from a baby until the day he would leave for college – rattle, toy truck, car, train, baseball cards, video games and of course a set of car keys. A special case was made by the side of the headstone where the box would be inserted and sealed away.

 

They all turned to face the grave of little Sam Christopher Manning – gone but will never be forgotten in our hearts. A carved marble stone cherub kept watch from above and an internal flame glowed at its base. Starr placed the flowers in the little marble vase at the center.

 

This would have been Sam’s fourth birthday and they had decided after the funeral that when the time came it would be celebrated because they never got the chance to do it.

 

Todd let out a breath before kneeling at the front of the grave and placing the box in the case. “Son it’s still hard for your daddy to feel that he did everything he could to save you but I feel in my heart that you are happy,” Todd said tearfully running his fingers over Sam’s etched out name. “I couldn’t save my son. I couldn’t protect my little boy…I just couldn’t…He doesn’t even know…why…why…he did nothing to deserve this. My Sam. My brave little boy.”

 

“Dad…” The kids said concerned kneeling down beside him. Their eyes also filled with tears.

 

They tried to comfort their father but at that moment he was inconsolable burying his face in his hands. It continued for a few minutes more until Todd remembered something that Evangeline said earlier.

 

“There are times when a parent can do nothing to save the life of their precious child but it isn’t their fault. Todd it’s not your fault. I’m sure Sam doesn’t want you to become the next victim of Spencer’s evil plot as he was. Where will we be if your mind is lost to us? We need you my love. I need you…”

 

Evangeline was right if he gave into his emotions then he would sink into a deep depression. Spencer would have gotten what he always wanted – making Todd’s life a living hell for the rest of his life. He wiped the tears from his cheeks and regained his composure.

 

“I’m going to be alright…I’m sure you guys have something to say. Go ahead.”

 

Starr and Jack looked at their father before speaking to make sure that he was indeed ok. He was.

 

“Even though we never met you personally we still love and miss you very much,” Starr sniffled. “I wonder what it would have been like having another little brother to chase after and tell to stop bothering me but I would have always wanted to protect you as well. I really…miss you. Jack...”

 

Jack wiped the tears from his eyes as Todd held him tightly. “I will miss being your big brother and the both of us running around and having fun together but I guess heaven needs you more than we do. God must have made you a guardian angel to look out for all of us.”

 

“Guys those were very nice words. I think we should say it now.”

 

1-2-3

 

“Happy Birthday Sam!” They all said together then bowed their heads in silence.

 

Jack released the balloons and they watched as it drifted away. The children clung to their father as they said their goodbyes and solemnly strolled away. It wasn’t the right moment to tell them about his engagement but he would eventually.  

  

 

Evangeline’s apartment…

 

Evangeline worried about Todd and the children. He still hadn’t called even though he promised he would. She couldn’t think about it for long because Tangie needed her attention.

 

“You love your teddy bear and your little gold necklace. It’s only going to get worst…yes it will. Soon it will be diamonds and pearls.” Tangie cooed loudly and moved about excitedly. “Can you believe your daddy knows Barney? You two are going to have lots of fun,” she said giving Tangie a kiss. “Ok one down two to go. I need to give your Auntie Layla a call because we need to talk.”

 

“Hi Layla…”

 

“Hi Vange. What’s up?”

 

“I was hoping that we could go to the spa together at Total Body and Spirit.”

 

“I wonder why my sister is so in need of a spa treatment.”

 

“It will give us a chance to talk.” …which was partly truthful. “No topics will be off limits including your own.”

 

“Maybe I shouldn’t agree to this,” Layla said hesitantly.

 

“Layla please…sister to sister – from my lips to your ears and vice versa.”

 

“Ok… I guess you’ve already made our appointment….so very lucky for you that they also have daycare available.”

 

“Girl you know I do my research ahead of time. I’ve made sure to schedule it around your lunch break.”

 

“One should be so grateful,” Layla laughed. It was going to be a very long lunch break. Lately Adrianna had stuck her so many times with the boutique she deserved a break.

  

 

The Sun Newspaper…

 

“I don’t know if I can do this.”

 

“I believe you can. You’ve come a long way Todd Manning.”

 

“It still hurts me very deeply and I don’t want to breakdown like I did before.”

 

“You won’t.”

 

“How do you know?”

 

“Because the Todd Manning I know is a very strong person. That same strength will carry him through this day. It has carried him through many crises in his life. He’s still here and alive.”

 

Evangeline always knew what to say to make him feel hopeful about life.

  

 

“Uncle Todd…”

 

“Yeah.” Jessica had interrupted his reflections.

 

“Are you finished with the editorial as yet? The staff is anxious to get this layout started.”

 

“Just a few changes and then I’ll meet you guys. You can start without me,” Todd said quietly.

 

Before speaking Jessica paused for a moment then asked, “So how are you doing otherwise?” She knew about the event that morning.

 

“Other than this morning’s emotions you should consider me a very happy man,” Todd responded in an up-beat tone.

 

“Really?” His response was surprising.

 

“Last night I felt that the moment was right to ask Evangeline to become my wife. Thankfully she said yes even though there was no ring…flowers…atmosphere. When I really think about it I really messed up the proposal.”

 

“You work fairly quickly. Didn’t she just arrive back in town? Never mind. Congratulations Uncle Todd!” she exclaimed giving him a hug. “I’m sure you’ll make it up to her but I’m also quite certain Evangeline doesn’t care about all of that,” Jessica said waving her hand. Todd had to smile. “Wow that smile has been missing from your face for such a long time.”

 

“And it only took the love of one woman to bring it back to me.”

  

 

TBS…

 

“You what?!”

 

“Layla please you don’t have to shout.”

 

They were both waiting for their massage session.

 

“How do you know that Todd is the right guy to marry? You have a lot of history together but I never really expected an engagement after a few days,” Layla said in a much calmer tone. After she thought about it for a minute she sighed and said, “Well it’s your life and who am I to tell you how to live it. Congratulations.”

 

Layla’s quick turn around and matter-of-fact tone made Evangeline pause because she was expecting more of a battle. There was something or should she say someone on her mind – Evangeline pondered.

 

“Be honest with me Layla…why are you running away from a relationship with Antonio? It makes me feel like I’m destroying another one of your relationships.” It was really no topics off limits Layla thought.

 

“Evangeline you’re not responsible for my failed relationship with Vincent. He was the one that chose to walk away.”

 

“My coma gave him the push he needed. How has Antonio been? Is he upset with you for not talking about everything that was going on?”

 

“It’s very strange. At first he was upset but now he wants to talk about our future.”

 

“I don’t understand Layla. What’s the problem?”

 

“The problem is that Antonio is moving too fast…too soon. He is talking about love and family togetherness. I don’t think I’m ready to take on the full responsibility of being a full-time mother to Jamie. I know Jamie is hurting because I’m not around. I’m really scared Vange.”

 

Evangeline placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “I can’t tell you what to do but I can tell you about my own experience with Todd. I was afraid of opening up my heart to another man and getting hurt again – it almost cost me the love of my life. I was in love with him but I couldn’t accept it given everything that was going on around us. I’ve learned that you shouldn’t let people or circumstances interfere with your chance of happiness.”

“Antonio is a great guy. Jessica made a huge mistake by letting him go. Layla are you afraid of falling in love with him or are you in love with Antonio already?”

 

“Honestly I really don’t know maybe I’m afraid to know. It will take some time to sort out my feelings.”

 

“Take all the time you need but don’t shut him out. Talk to him and say what you’re feeling. I’m sure he is willing to listen to whatever you have to say.”

 

“Great advice sis but am I missing something. Where’s that big, sparkling diamond ring.”

 

“I’m sure I will get one tonight but I need a babysitter for Tangie.”

 

“I can take care of Tangie.” It was time for their massages. They proceeded to get up and walk to the next room.

 

“No Layla you have already done too much.”

 

“Tangie is my niece and Aunt Cheryl is dying to meet the new addition to the family. Furthermore I need a place to stay tonight since Adrianna and Rex have plans that I do not want to hear about if you get my meaning.”

 

“Are you implying that I plan on staying over at Todd’s penthouse tonight?”

 

“Judging by the expression on your face when I first saw you today… I’m sure you will.” They burst out laughing.

 

“My baby certainly knows how to please his fiancée,” Evangeline said wickedly. “Afterglow is a wonderful thing.”

 

“Especially if you haven’t been receiving any in over a year...” They started laughing again.

  

 

Evening…

 

Todd definitely started off the evening properly – a bouquet of red flowers, limousine, Dom Pérignon and two champagne glasses. Music:

 OPEN ARMS (Journey)

Lying beside you, here in the dark, feeling your heart beat with mine
Softly you whisper, you're so sincere, how could our love be so blind
We sailed on together, we drifted apart, and here you are by my side

So now I come to you with open arms, nothing to hide, believe what I say
So here I am with open arms, hoping you'll see what your love means to me
Open arms

Living without you, living alone, this empty house seems to cold
Wanting to hold you, wanting you near, how much I wanted you home But now that you've come back, turned night into day, I need you to stay   

 

“Here’s to happy endings.”

 

“And new beginnings…”

 

They clink their glasses and took a sip. Todd more so than Evangeline thereafter glasses and champagne bottle were set aside

 

“I’ve missed you.”

 

“I’ve missed you more.”

 

Todd snuggled Evangeline closing his eyes taking in all of her. Mentally he was drained but having her near him was lifting his spirits and of course she smelled damn good.

 

Evangeline dressed in a knee-length plum sheath showing off her curves; brown Jimmy Choo boots hugged her long lean legs. She had found a use for his jacket. She was wearing it. Her hair straight and sleek makeup flawless diamond studded earrings completed the look.

 

Todd donned an Armani navy blue stripped blazer, baby blue dress shirt and dark trousers. Shoes Armani…hair loosely cut – Evangeline loved running her fingers through his hair.

 

“I wondered what happened to my jacket.”

 

“I found a perfect use for something you refuse to take home.”

 

“I didn’t refuse,” Todd said turning slightly and touching her cheek.

 

“You never asked and I never answered.”

 

Evangeline moved from his side and leaned against the limousine. She wanted to look him squarely in the face.

 

“So tell me how has your day been? I waited for your call but it never came and I didn’t want to bother you. I was surprised when you called and said that our date was still on.”

 

“Our date would always be on. I admit I did have a little break down but I remembered what you told me and I felt better.”

 

“My poor baby but I’m glad that you’re feeling ok.” She continued stroking his hair   stretching out her legs on his lap and he started caressing them gently. She was asking for it.

 

“Wherever we are going I want to get there in one piece,” she moaned.

 

“Could I at least taste those luscious lips of yours...”

 

She didn’t mind. Her mouth parted allowing his tongue to delve in sucking hard on her own. If the limo hadn’t stop things would have gotten pretty steamy. Todd straightened his blazer and stepped out extended a hand to Evangeline so she could do the same. They walked hand in hand to Tiffany’s Jewelry. An elegant jewelry store on Llanview’s famous boulevard. She was getting her ring tonight. Evangeline was very excited. Was she going to choose her ring or would it be a surprise?

 

“Good evening sir and lady.” A tall lean gentleman with pale skin said. “We’ve been expecting you.” He led them to a back room and seated them at an elegant table. Classical music played in the background.

 

“I’m not going to make this easy for you.”

 

“Whaaa…”

 

Todd placed a blind-fold over her eyes. Ok so it was going to be a surprise. She wasn’t complaining but kept still…smiling. Their host opened a huge cabinet that contained an array of rings in different colors. He brought out a set of rings and Todd mulled over his decision. Evangeline tapped her fingers lightly on the table getting a bit impatient. Why was he taking so long?

 

Finally Todd said, “I’ve made my decision. This one seems perfect. Let’s see if its fits my love’s finger.”

 

He took a hold of her left hand and kissed it sweetly before slowly sliding the ring on her finger. It was making its way down easily and Evangeline felt chills going up and down her spine.

 

“Evangeline Williamson would you make me the happiest man in the world by becoming my wife.”

 

Tears flowed from her eyes as she took off her blind-fold and uttered, “Yes Baby. Yes!”

 

Evangeline marveled at the ring. It was a huge 7.53 ct emerald cut diamond accented by two baguette diamonds on each side.

 

“You like it?” Todd asked wiping the tears from her eyes and his own.

 

“I love it! I love you! I love you so much.”

 

“I love you too baby!” They kissed passionately forgetting that there might be someone else in the room besides them.

 

They stayed for a little while longer choosing their wedding rings but soon it came time to continue to the next part of their evening. They were going back to Todd’s place for a celebratory dinner.

 

Happily they strolled back to the limousine, arms around each other, giggling, laughing, and kissing not noticing that someone was watching them closely.

 

“That fucking bastard…” Christian said under his breath.

 

He was walking to the gym fuming about Antonio’s sudden turn against him and his mother questioning his desire when he saw Todd and Evangeline carrying on like a couple in love. What was going on? Then he saw that huge ring glittering in the moonlight and his heart almost stopped beating.

Chapter 7 by chocolate470

“This ring must have cost you a fortune.”

 

“It doesn’t matter because you are worth every penny and more. If someone told me that I had to give up my fortune to have you in my life I would gladly do it.” Todd said kissing her ring finger sweetly.

 

Evangeline giggled delightfully like a teenager. “You would because in the end you’ll get it all back.”

 

“Just for you and the family baby…”

 

She happened to glance over Todd’s shoulders where she saw a solitary figure gazing at them intently. At first she couldn’t make out who it was but then…

 

“Honey let’s hurry up and get in the limo.”

 

“I’m coming. Baby don’t fret we’ve got lots of time.”

 

“I’m glad you think so.” Christian seemed to have recovered from his shock as he approached them. “Nice ring Manning.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. It costs more than you will ever make in a lifetime,” Todd responded harshly.

 

“Evangeline, how could you prance around town with this psycho?” She glared at him arms crossed. She did hear her name but he couldn’t be talking to her…the nerve of this guy.

 

“Look who’s talking…the Llanview stalker. Why don’t you return to your play pen instead of interrupting a loving couple…newly engaged.” Todd wanted to rub in that last part.

 

Todd looked at Christian’s bewildered expression drawing Evangeline close to his side kissing her deeply. He looked away but still he didn’t leave. Manning’s words wouldn’t distract him this time even if it cut him like a knife.

 

Their lips released and he said, “It hurts doesn’t it. You had all of her but blew it for a cheap fuck with the Llanview skank.” When Todd said it so bluntly a fleeting expression of hurt crossed his face. Part of her felt for Christian…she couldn’t help it. “The mind can play tricks on a hapless bastard such as yourself.”

 

“You kept pushing and pushing your way into her life. What was I supposed to believe? And indeed she fell victim to the so-called Manning charm!” Christian said angrily. “Our love never had a chance to grow because of your interference time after time!”

Evangeline could appreciate that even though the talk was tough everything was pretty much calm for the most part. Their night was turning out so beautifully and then this.

 

“Puppy love at best. There was no way Evangeline was ready for any deep shit after Batman. I must say neither were you Christian after the Tasmanian.”

“Come on baby tell him the truth,” Todd whispered in her ear. “If he’s a real man he can take it.”

 

Christian raked his fingers through his hair then said, “He controls you now. Talk you talk. Jump you say how high. He has already conned you into an engagement. Do you let Todd control Tangie as well? It doesn’t…” A hard slap came across his face making him flinch and place a hand by his crimson jaw.

 

“No man controls me – get that through that thick skull of yours! I’ll tell you the truth since you won’t shut up. You weren’t a true love – just a quick fix and a good fuck. Todd holds the title of great in every little detail that you could ever think of…stupid bastard!”

 

Todd laughed loudly while Christian smirked. Evangeline was getting tired of the endless discussion and decided it was time to go back to the limo.

 

“I’ll be waiting for you inside…but not too long,” she stressed kissing him softly then looking back at Christian disgustedly.

 

“We’ll leave shortly. I won’t let rent-a-boxer spoil our splendid evening.”

 

“Please don’t.” She entered the limo slamming the door. It was the perfect time to check in on how Tangie was doing. She started to dial Layla’s cell number.

 

“Hey Lay how is everything?” Evangeline asked quietly

 

“Fine…Tangie and I are getting along great. In fact she is already asleep. Maybe I should ask you that question because you don’t sound very happy.”

 

“Christian showed up. He and Todd are having a ‘discussion’. There goes my perfect evening. Todd and I were really having a great time. I finally got my engagement ring and he made it so romantic.”

 

“Then keep that wonderful feeling.”

 

“I’ll try. Give my little angel a goodnight kiss for me and please remember to call if you have an emergency.”

 

“I will. Goodnight Vange. I can’t wait to see you in the morning and hear all the details.”

 

“Goodnight Layla.”

 

How to keep my wonderful feeling – turn the music up and drink more champagne. I hope Todd come’s back soon or I’ll break this bottle over both their heads.

  

“I love it when my woman hits straight to the point,” Todd chuckled. “I also like having these periodic chats with you but I think it’s time for you to run-along while Evangeline and I continue our romantic evening.”

 

“Big bad Todd Manning always gets what he wants…including my daughter. It will hurt badly when that test comes back and says that Christian is the father.”

 

“Your daughter!” Todd rushed into his face. “You don’t know what the fuck you are talking about! Tangie doesn’t know you. I’m the only father she knows. If you come near her she would probably scream her head off!”

 

“Get the fuck out of my face!” Christian yelled pushing Todd against the limo. George came quickly out of the driver’s seat.

 

“Is everything ok Mr. Manning?”

 

“Everything is fine George.”

“Is that the best you can do…huh?”

 

“You fucking come near me I will slice you from ear to ear and I don’t care you sees!” Christian lifted up his shirt and revealed a dagger. “You want to try me Manning?” Todd laughed at his opponent’s audacity and put a hand out to George who was ready to make his move.

 

“Oh George.”

 

“Yes Mr. Manning.”

 

“Would you please show Mr. Vega with whom he is dealing.”

 

“Yes sir.”

 

George pulled out a chrome 9mm handgun from his jacket pocket and pointed it at Christian’s head. He swallowed hard eyes darting from George to Todd and back again. Todd casually stepped up to him and started twisting his right arm behind his back. Christian gritted his teeth and his face wrinkled in obvious pain.

 

“Say Uncle…you fucking illiterate.”

 

“Fuck you!...argh…let go of my arm!”

 

“By now you know me very well and know what I’m capable of doing. You are way out of your league and don’t deserve a woman like Evangeline. She and Tangie deserve the best. I will make sure that they get it.” Christian tried to wiggle free but Todd had him in a quandary. His arm was threatening to break. “You get the point…say uncle.”

 

“Uncle…Shit!” Todd being totally satisfied let him go leaving Christian to massage his aching arm and bruised ego. Todd straightened out his jacket and cleared the speckle of sweat from his brow.

 

“Evangeline should have seen this display – the real Todd Manning instead of the fake who is whispering sweet nothings in her ear.”

 

“You – dagger…me – defenseless – it all adds up to self-defense. George, please take care of this piece of shit.”

 

George nodded his head…went over to Christian punching him squarely in the jaw knocking him to the ground. A bloody nose and a swollen jaw was his reward for interfering. Christian concluded that the world was round and Todd would get his eventually.

 

 Todd entered the limo and Evangeline turned down the music.

 

“Todd, what went on outside?” like she didn’t know already.

 

“Just talk – nothing broken.”

 

“Yeah I believe you,” Evangeline said sarcastically and from that moment on she turned her face away and kept quiet. Todd slid an arm around her shoulders pulling her close to him…and so it remained for the rest of the drive. At least she didn’t pull away Todd thought as he drank some more champagne.

  

 

Todd’s penthouse…

 

As she entered the apartment she stopped at the middle of the living room taking off Todd’s jacket. Todd casually removed his jacket as well. He strolled up from behind leaving soft kisses on her bare tension-filled shoulders.

 

“Have you checked in on Tangie?”

 

“Yes and so far she is doing ok,” she responded dryly.

 

“Evangeline are we fighting?”

 

“I don’t know. I’m just pissed off. The two of you might have promised to stay away from one another but it’s not going to work in Llanview. I have only myself to blame for all of it,” she said throwing her purse on the sofa. Todd took a breath – it wasn’t him she was upset with but he had to rescue the rest of their evening.

 

“Baby, look at me,” Todd turned her around. “This is our night. At the time you did what you felt was right and I don’t blame you for any of it. Frankly I don’t give a damn about Cris and his issues.” He cupped her face tenderly brushing his tongue against her bottom lip.

 

“But how can…” He kissed her softly and seated her on the sofa.

 

He started removing her boots. Evangeline was perplexed but let him continue. He removed his shoes as well then took her by the hand leading her to an adjacent room.

 

As he opened the door Evangeline marveled at what was laid out before her eyes – red and white roses, lavender scented candles glowing against beige colored walls.

 

She observed that the room contained an armoire, an unlit fireplace, a Japanese-styled coffee table but surprisingly there were no chairs visible. The floor was covered with wall-to-wall white carpeting.

 

“Todd this room is absolutely gorgeous.”

 

“I’ve just started adding a few things here and there. As you can see it’s not completely finished but I still thought that it would be perfect set up for a romantic interlude.”

 

“It is,” Evangeline smiled happily wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him passionately.

 

“This room can be one of your pet projects when you move in. I was hoping that will happen tomorrow.”

 

“I’m way ahead of you babe…already started packing.”

 

“Great minds do think alike.” Another titillating kiss...

 

A few moments later Todd took out some floor pillows from the armoire and placed them around the coffee table and said, “I want you to get comfortable and relax my love. I’ll be back shortly.”

 

She breathed in the lavender scent and concentrated on the better parts of her fabulous evening…like her exquisite ring – Todd really knew how to make a woman feel special. By the time he returned with wine and dinner she was totally relaxed leaning against the pillows.

 

Todd placed the tray on the table and turned on the entertainment system. Miles Davis’ jazz tunes floated freely within their hideaway. He definitely had an assistant but an invisible one Evangeline surmised.

 

“So what’s on the menu?” Evangeline asked as Todd sat down beside her and poured her a glass of Chardonnay.

 

“White wine and shrimp in a rich buttery sauce. Open up wide because I’ll be feeding you every delicious bite.” She gazed at him lovingly as she parted her lips. “By the time this night is over there will be other parts of you that will be opening up to me freely,” he said seductively. “You look so amazing tonight.”

 

“You look amazing yourself. “Angelina eat your heart out because Brad Pitt has nothing on my man – astounding blue eyes that stare deep into my soul and his sexy body turns me on…all…day…long.” Todd beamed. “You see I did remember to compliment you on your handsome features.” Evangeline cracked a wicked smile sipping her wine.

 

The Christian episode seemed to be completely forgotten and who could have guess that even after that comment Todd was being a complete gentleman. Now and then stealing a kiss but mainly keeping his hands wrapped around his wine glass instead of traveling up her thighs. Evangeline wondered about that when Todd left to get dessert but inwardly she knew it wouldn’t last long. The smell of his cologne was driving her wild. There has to be a way to let Mr. Manning out.

 

When Todd returned he almost dropped the dessert stray when he saw a naked Evangeline sprawled out along side the pillows.

 

“Dessert is on me…,” Evangeline whispered…enticingly brushing her fingers across erect nipples. The engagement ring gleamed through the dim lighting. Todd’s manhood immediately rose to her seductive play.

 

“I so love my dark chocolate splashed with a hint of cream,” he said as he set down the tray and stripped away his clothing.

 

Her lips instantly covered his and their tongues encircled playing off one another as the kiss deepened in its intensity. She ran her fingers along his back and he grounded his sex against her throbbing need. Todd’s right hand inched its way up her sensitive thighs pausing long enough to insert two taut fingers into her cove working them slowly back and forth…her body moving with their rhythm.

 

“Ummm…that feels so good.”

 

“You’re so hot and ready for me baby but I need to taste all of my dark chocolate.”

 

“Ahhh…hmmm…,” she bit her bottom lip. His tongue was suckling away on her erect tips one by exquisite one. Lustful sensations tingled up and down her body.

 

Deeper and deeper his fingers penetrated – further down his tongue traveled joining them in providing the onslaught of passion that she craved.

 

“Oh Todd…,” she moaned. He was the only man that could cater to her every desire.

 

Gripping his hair tightly she intensified her rhythm in time with him hitting against her g-spot. A tension came over her body as she finally reached her peak…sweet juices started to flow and for the moment she was completely satisfied. Todd’s head remained buried between her thighs licking up every last delicious drop.

 

Having indulged in his pleasure he returned to her gaze and said, “You always taste so sweet don’t ever give my love away.”

 

“As long as you don’t give away mine...”

 

 “Touché,” Todd smiled capturing her lips giving Evangeline a taste of her cum.

“Can I be inside you?” Todd whispered hovering slightly over her mouth. The scent of their desires filled the air.

 

“I’ve taken care of that complication and I trust that I’m safe with you my love,” she responded softly.

 

“You can definitely trust me. I can never hurt you in that way. Now open those beautiful legs for me and let me give you what we both long for.”

 

She stretched them out as far as they could go and he guided his shaft through her slick opening. Evangeline breathed deeply as she felt her body stretched to accommodate his huge size but she wanted him so badly that it didn’t matter.

 

It felt so good to be inside her in that way. “Damn Evangeline…you’re so tight,” Todd said moving her legs to his shoulders increasing his thrusts and angling his shaft to give her the ultimate sensation.

 

Evangeline arched her back to feel all of him. “Shit…Todd.” Her climax was coming on strong.

 

The music mixed with the wine and the ambience – sweat covering their bodies, the feel of him grasping her tightly driving into her harder and faster Evangeline was in a happy place and she didn’t want to come back down but…

 

“Ahhh…ahhh”

 

“That its baby…that’s it...” Her vaginal walls suddenly tightened around him.

 

“Todd…ohhhh!”

 

“Evangeline!” His seed spilled freely inside of her and he loved the feeling.

 

Evangeline lied spent on the floor breathing heavily where Todd flopped against her chest. For a moment he was still inside her until he pulled out slowly. Thereafter he rolled unto his side spooning his body against hers.

 

“You have a power over me. Every time I’m with you I want you to stay forever,” he said kissing her temple.

 

“I feel the same way my love.”

 

“So are you spending the night?”

 

“Yeah Layla is over at my apartment. Tangie is in good hands so there is no need to worry.”

 

“I was hoping that this upcoming weekend that the family could get together. We could tell Starr and Jack about our engagement.” Evangeline sighed – he hadn’t told them as yet.

“At that moment it didn’t feel appropriate to tell them.”

 

Evangeline shifted her position to face him. “I guess I should prepare for my showdown with Starr,” she said stroking his damp hair.

 

Todd chuckled caressing her cheek and kissing her lightly, “Starr doesn’t hate you my love…she is just very over-protective of me. It’s because of her mother and I that she is the way she is. Instead of concentrating on my life and well-being she should be thinking about her own. She’s a teenager and I know she is missing out on a lot of stuff.”

 

“Todd she’s a smart kid who feels like it’s her duty to have a guard post around her brother and father.”

 

“I should be the one protecting her not the other way around. Blair and I have been very bad examples for our daughter. I want to teach her about love and having a stable relationship. I know that this time around I will have that with you.”

 

She lifted her head to gaze into those gorgeous blue eyes, “I love you so much.”

 

“I love you too.” Evangeline suddenly moved from his side. “Babe, where are you going?”

 

“I can’t let our dessert go to waste – hmmm…strawberries and chocolate fondue.”

 

“Hey aren’t you going to give your fiancé a taste?”

 

Evangeline had a wicked smile splashed across her face. As she brought him the dessert she allowed the chocolate from the strawberry to drizzle over his left nipple. “It’s my turn now and I so love my vanilla and cream.”

  

 

Evangeline’s apartment…

 

“Hey mom…”

 

“So how is my baby doing?”

 

“Fine…so what’s up?”

 

“I called your sister earlier and I have a suspicion that she’s holding something back. Do you know what it is?”

 

“Mom I-I-I don’t know. The results haven’t come back as yet so I really don’t know what might be bothering her.” Does marrying Todd ring a bell? Ding.

 

“Hmmm I’ll bide my time because whatever she is hiding will come to light eventually.”

 

“Oh mom will you quit worrying. Evangeline can handle her business.” The way she handled Todd and Christian…

 

“Ok baby you have a good evening. Love you.”

 

“Love you too mom.”

 

Layla exhaled. Tomorrow she had to alert Evangeline about mom. Lisa will be paying a visit to Llanview sooner rather than later.

  

 

Capricorn…

 

“What the hell happened to you?” Antonio viewed Christian’s bruised jaw and cut lip. It also looked like he had been bleeding from his nose. He hoped that this was due to sparring session getting a little out of control.

 

“My face ran into Todd’s bodyguard,” Christian responded bluntly.

 

“What! Mom told me that you were going to the gym.”

 

“I was going to the gym but I got front row seats to Todd and Evangeline’s engagement. I felt it necessary to impose myself.”

 

No está importante!

 

“If Tangie is my daughter I believe that Evangeline should give us another chance.”

 

“I don’t fucking believe you! Are you crazy? After everything that went on between the two of you? Evangeline will respect you as the father but nothing else. You are such dumb ass!” Antonio shook his head disgustedly.

 

“Hey wait a minute! Is it wrong for me to think about something like that?”

 

“You know what handle your business your way and I will handle mine! I’m fucking tired of having to deal with your shit!” Antonio yelled before storming off.

 

“Yeah Antonio go ahead…turn your back on your brother!” Christian yelled back but he was already gone. “Fuck I need a drink.” His body ached as well as his pride. “Angela, pour me a scotch… neat. I need it more than anyone in this place tonight.”     

Chapter 8 by chocolate470

It would have been wonderful waking up with a warm body close by his side, inhaling her scent…caressing, holding, kissing her – making love but Evangeline had other plans for the morning namely being with Tangie so he had to let her go. He lied nude snuggled under the bed covers while waiting for Evangeline to get dressed. Soon she returned jumping on the bed next to him.

 

“My love, don’t stay asleep too long,” she said kissing him lightly.

 

“Ummm…I’m not really asleep but this tired feeling is partly your fault.”

 

“Why?” she asked softly sliding her index finger across his stubble chin.

 

“If you hadn’t gone at me like you did last night maybe I would have had the strength for you this morning. I’m not ashamed to admit that you wore the hell out of me. And look at this…” Todd exposed the skin where Evangeline had placed her love mark.

 

“And how about mine…” He chuckled then planted small kisses around the nape of her neck before returning to her lips.

 

A few moments later her eyes scanned Todd’s bedroom taking in the full display. It was the customary male influenced bedroom – mahogany-stained wood flooring dark furniture with the wide screen tv across from the king-sized bed but what really impressed her was the huge walk-in closet – just enough space for her clothes, handbags and shoe collection. The master bathroom was elegant with its marbled-tiled flooring Jacuzzi tub and double sinks. The view of the Llanview skyline was breathtaking. It seemed that she was getting to know his penthouse one room at a time.

 

“I think I like your bedroom very much…a shot of classy with a hint of mystery. A few additions here and there and it will be perfect for the both of us.”

 

“Those little brain cells of yours are going full steam ahead.”

 

“Is someone afraid that I’m invading their private domain?” A hand grazed over his awakening arousal.

 

Todd sucked in a breath and whispered, “You can bring along the whole Spanish armada but they can’t stay. There’s only room for one beautiful design.”

 

His right fingertips were making a statement delicately stroking her breast. She could see and feel his on setting desire damn she was feeling it too but she had to remain focus on the present. “Baby this is getting really good but it’s time for me to leave.”

 

“That’s not fair. You can’t leave your man hanging like this.”

 

“Sweetheart all’s fair in love and I do love you.” She kissed him farewell before making a hasty retreat.

 

“Today will be the last time we’ll be having a long distance relationship.” He yelled smiling.

 

 Todd quickly jumped out of bed and headed for a cold shower…thoughts of his gorgeous fiancée and what could have happened dancing around in his mind. Just seeing her walk into a room turned him on and when she smiled…it took his breath away. Ultimately the doubt always found its way through.

 

Things are going way too smoothly with Evangeline. What if the Dna results reveal that Christian is indeed Tangie’s father? You must remember what happened with Jack.

 

“Tangie is very close to my heart and I would never do anything to hurt her or the woman that I’ve always waited for. I was a different man back then and this time that ugly feeling is not going to take over my mind and corrupt my soul.”

 

Twenty minutes later he was dressed, shaved, refreshed wearing a white shirt and khaki slacks. He had just turned on his cell phone when it came to life. It was Vicki on the other end.

 

“Oh it’s you…,” Todd answered disappointedly.

 

“Your fiancée isn’t by your side?” Vicki responded sarcastically. “Jessica told me all about your big news.”

 

Before she could get into it with him Todd replied, “Vicki I’ve made my decision and there is nothing that you can say that will make me change my mind about her. I love Evangeline and she loves me and we are committed to building a great life together.”

 

“Isn’t it a bit too soon to be jumping into another marriage?”

 

“Come on Vicki. Where was this sage advice when I was jumping back and forth with Blair? I sure didn’t hear you having any complaints then.”

 

“The difference being…you have two children with Blair.”

 

“And also the destructive behavior… Tell me the truth Vicki what do you really have against Evangeline? It can’t be her looks because she is drop-dead gorgeous – maybe her intellect but to think about it she is the smartest person I know. Probably the way she dresses…nah it couldn’t be that because she exuberates style and elegance. Mannerisms please she helps me out with that on many occasions. So what could it possible be? Oh I get it…”

 

“Don’t you dare go there Todd Christopher Manning! Whatever you’re thinking is really a low blow even for you! Jessica was once involved with Antonio for crying out loud and I never had a problem with that relationship.”

 

“I have a problem with you butting into my love life and questioning my decision to marry Evangeline! I love you as my sister but you’re not my mother. If you can’t accept Evangeline as my wife then you need to stay hell away from me!”

 

 

 

At that same moment…

 

Layla continued to drink her morning cup of brew while marveling at super mom Evangeline trying to get everything together. On her arrival she quickly changed into a black-collared dress blouse jeans comfortable sandals and tied her hair in a ponytail before proceeding to take care of Tangie. Bathing, changing, feeding and a little bit of play time. All three eventually ended up in the kitchen.

 

“Hey have you got time for a glass of juice?”

 

“Thanks Layla. Could you please prepare me a bowl of cereal with some milk?”

 

“Sure no prob.”

“I was wondering about those little details from last night,” she said as she fix Evangeline’s bowl and pushed it across the table towards her.

 

“Here is detail number one.” Evangeline extending her hand showing off her diamond. Layla’s eyes widened and she was momentarily struck speechless while examining it. “So Layla what do you think? Doesn’t it look very beautiful?”

 

“It’s more than beautiful – it’s…It’s humungous! It’s magnificent! How much did Todd pay for this?” Layla asked in a different tone.

 

“I don’t know and I really don’t care.”

 

“I’m advising you not to flash around this ring publicly or you’ll need extra security. I’m really not joking Vange.”

 

“I won’t be flashing it around as you say but I will keep it in a safe place.”

 

Promise by Ciara started to play.

 

“I see someone has a new ring tone.” Evangeline smiled at the comment before answering the phone.

 

“Hey baby how did you enjoy your morning so far? Stop it you’re making a black girl blush and get all hot and bothered at the same time.” Layla rolled her eyes. “She’s right here being peaceful for the time being. Say hi to dada.” Tangie made a cute little coo when she heard Todd’s voice. Layla thought daddy? “She knows your voice pretty well by now. You always seem to get her brighter side…already a daddy’s girl.” Evangeline laughed at something Todd said. “I’ll see you real soon. I love you always. Bye.”

 

“Did I hear correctly? Daddy?”

 

“Have you talked to Antonio as yet?” Evangeline was clearly trying to change the subject.

 

“Not as yet but I promise I will” Layla didn’t want to get deep into that subject either. “Sis I see some boxes around the apartment. It looks like you’re already packed and ready to move into Todd’s swanky digs.”

 

“Today isn’t soon enough.”

 

Layla pursed her lips and shook her head nonchalantly. “Just remember that I’ll be over there often to relax and take in the scenery. Penthouse equals excellent views of Llanview.”

 

“Just remember to call before you show up. I don’t want you interrupting the perfect interlude for your perfect view.”

 

“Deal.” They laughed heartily. “Oh by the way mom called me last night.”

 

“What about?”

 

“She has a sneaky suspicion that you are keeping her in the dark about something. I suggest you call and tell her about the engagement before someone else does.”

 

“Either way she will be on a plane to Llanview.”

 

“Still it will sound better coming from you. Have you really thought about the different shit that the both of you are going to face.”

 

“Todd and I have been through worst obstacles in both our lives so people disagreeing with our relationship won’t be a huge deal.”

 

“Ok if you say so. Oh man would you look at the time. I gotta run before my partner lights up my cell phone. Bye diva,” Layla said giving Tangie a little squeeze and a kiss. “According to your mom Todd is your daddy so you’ll be acting more like a diva. I saw that teddy bear with the gold necklace.”

 

“He can’t help himself.” Evangeline smiled giving Layla a warm hug. “Thanks lil’ sis. I don’t know what’ll do without you.”

 

“And don’t you forget it.”

 

They strolled past the living room towards the apartment door.

 

 

“Knock…knock!”

 

“Uh Oh…that sounds like Nora.”

 

“It is Nora and I hear you guys so open up.”

 

Layla opened the door.

 

“Good Morning Nora.”

 

“Hey the gang’s all here. Good morning everyone. Well they say if Mohammed can’t go to the mountain then the mountain will come to Mohammed.”

 

“Well said Nora. I’m off to work. You two have a good chat. Bye Nora. Bye Evangeline.” She also whispered good luck as she left.

  

 

“How long have you been in town and you haven’t dropped by to say hello,” Nora said giving Evangeline a hug. “Isn’t she a little cutie...what’s her name?”

 

“Tangie Alexis Williamson.”

 

“Oh…so is it true that both Christian and Todd might be her father? Rumors have been flying around.”

 

“It isn’t one of my better moments but yeah it’s true. It sounds like the town is already placing bets.”

 

“I think it’s evenly split. Let’s take a seat here little angel. I’m enjoying little Tangie.”

 

“I find that she interacts better with women…men not so much.”

 

“Do the prospective fathers come around often?”

 

“Christian came one time. Todd always.” Evangeline felt interrogated but there were times when both she and Nora had their lawyer moments.

 

“Hmm…interesting. I guess with everything going on you haven’t had time to think about going back to work.”

 

Evangeline joined her on the sofa placing her left hand close to her chin. “It’s crossed my mind a little but I think now is not the right time. Tangie still needs me and I don’t want to hand over that role as yet to anyone.”

 

“Evangeline are you engaged?” Nora noticed the sparkle but before Evangeline answered there was a knock at her door.

 

“Busy morning,” she laughed nervously.

 

As she opened the door Todd greeted her with a tender kiss.

 

“I didn’t know if you had breakfast as yet so I brought you some crispy crèmes and a bouquet of fresh flowers. I hope you like them.”

 

“The flowers are very beautiful and the crispy crèmes are a wonderful gesture. I just didn’t expect to see you hear this soon,” she said accepting his gifts.

 

“I couldn’t keep away from you too long,” he said encircling his arms around her waist and kissing her again but he didn’t get back the response he had grown accustomed to. “Why do I get the feeling that I came at a bad time?”

 

“We’ve got company.” Todd finally caught sight of Nora holding Tangie with a stunned expression across her face. “I’m going to take these things to the kitchen. I’ll be back shortly so you two please behave.”

  

 

“Why it’s my favorite D.A. Are you still screwing over innocent people’s lives?”

 

“There has and will never be an innocent bone in your body.”

 

“You really lucked out on framing me for Margaret’s murder. You can’t and never will be able to put me behind your cold steel.”

 

“You want to bet on that one Todd!”

 

“The both of you cool it right now! I don’t want my daughter to get upset,” Evangeline yelled returning from the kitchen.

 

“I think I’ll take Tangie on the terrace while you two talk it over. Come here my honeysuckle. Daddy’s got you,” he said taking Tangie into his arms and kissing her on the cheek. He strolled over to Evangeline and said, “Say the word and we can get rid of the shrew instantly.”

 

“Todd…”

 

“Just saying,” he kissed her lightly and walked away closing the sliding door.

  

 

Nora stood up and said, “I would ask if you’ve lost your mind. Have you lost your freaking mind?!”

 

“Nora I know you don’t like Todd.”

 

“I loathe him and you should stay away from that crazy bastard even though he might be Tangie’s father. He’s capable of anything. Look at his past with Blair.”

 

“I love him Nora. I’ve tried to run away from that love but I can’t do it anymore.”

 

“Boy you must have drank the Todd Manning cool aid the only difference being that you’re not dead just engaged to the Llanview psycho. It may well be the kiss of death regardless.”

 

“You sound just like Christian.”

 

“I may not like him either but at least he and I can agree on something. Your choice of bedmates was really outrageous.”

 

“Nora you’re my friend. Please don’t go there! I expect this talk from my enemies not my best friend.”

 

“I’m your friend not his. I don’t owe him shit! I want what’s best for you and that little girl. Todd isn’t the one.”

 

“Then who is it? John?” Evangeline asked frustrated. “That fine upstanding detective who is honest, loyal, strong and brave. Honest to the Llanview public but not to himself or to the woman who wanted to love him. Nora I wasn’t what he wanted.”

 

“You have always been attracted to bad boys.”

 

“It was an occupational hazard but my mind is different. That beautiful man who is standing out there holding our daughter is a man that I’ve grown to know and love throughout the years. First came our wonderful friendship and then our true love.”

 

Nora let out an exasperated breath. “That love is going to cost you in the end and baby you need to open your eyes before it’s too late!” It didn’t seem that Evangeline wanted to listen anymore.  “Evangeline I’ve got to go. My desk is heaped with a lot of paper work that I need to attend to.” She hugged Evangeline warily “I’ll call you later.”

 

“Ok.” Closing the door slowly behind her Nora was soon gone.

 

Maybe she wanted to cry but she didn’t. She stared off really looking at nothing in particular but thinking about everything. She felt like she just lost a friend or at least a close confidant.

 

Instead of going outside to join Todd and Tangie she decided to place an important call.

 

“Good Morning mom.”

 

“Good Morning Cookie. You sound a bit sad.”

 

“Mom I’ve some news but I don’t know how you’ll take it.”

 

“Just say what it is and let me be the judge.”

 

“Todd and I are getting married. Mom..mom…Mom!”

 

Lisa had abruptly hung up leaving Evangeline to gaze down on her phone as she sat on the sofa. She didn’t hear Todd’s approach.

 

“Would you believe she fell asleep on me?”

 

“Don’t worry she’ll be awake soon enough,” she responded softly.

 

“Evangeline what’s going on?”

 

“Everything is going on. As you can see Nora left unhappily and I just called my mother and told her about our engagement. You could probably guess her reaction.”

 

He didn’t give a shit about Nora but her mother would be a different story. “Baby I’m sorry,” he said sitting down close beside her.

 

“I expected it to be that way but still she is my mother and deep down inside I want her approval. She was there for me throughout my pregnancy.”

 

“She probably hates my guts even more.”

 

“I doubt that she hates your guts…she hasn’t seen them as yet.” Todd didn’t laugh but just stared at her. “I know bad joke,” she chuckled lightly leaning her head against his shoulder.

 

“I would rate that a two.”

 

“You are being so mean. I would have given myself a five.”

 

“Ok since you want a better rating I’ve changed my mind it’s a ten for effort.” He kissed the top of her head and heard her stomach growl. “Evangeline have you eaten breakfast as yet?”

 

“I don’t remember…too many things were going on.”

 

“Once I’ve put Tangie to bed we’re going to have breakfast. It’s already been a trying morning but your fiancé is going to cheer you up with his better jokes…teach you a thing or two about scoring a punch line.” Evangeline laughed and punched him lightly in the side.

   

 

The Boutique…

 

“I think our ad campaign is really going great. This lingerie line is selling like hot cakes.”

 

“Layla you have a visitor.” She looked up and saw Antonio with a dozen red roses in his hands.

 

“Antonio…”

 

“Adrianna can I steal your beautiful partner away for a moment. We need to talk.”

 

“Sure Antonio I’ll take care of things out here.”

 

Layla accepted the roses and led him to back room where they kept most of their inventory.

 

“The roses are beautiful but you shouldn’t have. It really wasn’t necessary.”

 

Suddenly she felt his lips on hers. At first she didn’t know how to respond but after a moment she gave into it encircling her arms around his neck.

 

When their lips broke free he hugged her tightly and said, “I’ve missed you and so has Jamie.” Layla abruptly came out of the embrace leaving Antonio confused. “Is it wrong to miss you?”

 

“Antonio you’re moving way too fast for me. You’ve placed me in a role that makes me feel sort of uncomfortable.”

 

“I wish I had the luxury of waiting around but I don’t. I’m a single father with a very young daughter.”

 

“Who we feel needs a mother.”

 

“We are a package deal. Jamie’s mother is dead and I can’t help that. I also can’t have women walking in and out of our lives because invariably she becomes attached. When I was with Jessica I made a lot of mistakes especially with Jamie. She became my second priority instead of my first.”

 

Layla walked off to the side picking at the rose petals…reminiscing.

 

“I remember when I first came to Llanview I had this huge crush on you but you were blinded by your love for Jessica. I did all sorts of things to get your attention including babysitting Jamie. She is such a lovely little girl but I don’t know.”

 

Antonio approached her caressing her face and looking into her chocolate browns. “I was a fool back then. I loved a woman who really didn’t love me in the same way.”

 

“I would say obsessed.”

 

“Ok obsessed,” Antonio smiled, “If you don’t feel the same way I do then just say it. I don’t want to go through another heartbreak. Just don’t leave me hanging wondering if I have a chance when I really don’t.”

 

“You do have a chance…you’re just further along than I am.”

 

“I love you.”

 

“And I’m falling in love with you.”

 

“I can accept that,” he said kissing her gently. “So did you miss me?”

 

“I’ve missed everything about you. Would you believe I want you right now,” she whispered.

 

“I know the feeling because I wanted you from the time I stepped into this place. Adrianna can wait a little while longer.”

 

“Huh uh…”

   

 

Todd’s penthouse…

 

The morning’s occurrences were a distant memory and it became a busy and excited day. It was time for the big move and after breakfast their minds focused on moving Evangeline’s and Tangie’s possessions out of her apartment. Most of the furniture stayed behind because it had already been decided that Layla would get the key to the apartment.

 

Evangeline finally met Todd’s penthouse assistant, Mrs. Jenny Torres, a 56 year old Hispanic-American with short, curly black hair and a pleasant smile. She helped her immensely with putting away her things and setting up Tangie’s baby room.

 

“Mrs. Torres, why has Todd been keeping you such a big secret?”

 

“Please call me Jenny everyone does.”

“I don’t know maybe he wanted you to believe that the penthouse gets cleaned by magic.” Evangeline laughed.

 

“I heard that Jenny. Evangeline I didn’t have time to introduce you.”

 

“You could have told her about me instead of surprising her when she moved in but no matter.” Jenny could be as forthright as he was at times but they still got along great. “Mr. Manning has told me so much about you and it is so nice to finally meet the woman who has turned his life around for the better. Your daughter is very beautiful.” Tangie had made herself comfortable in Todd’s arms.

 

“Thank you Jenny. I think we’ll get along fine.”

 

“Compared to that ex-wife of his I’m sure we will.” Jenny sounded like someone who had done her share of battles with Blair.

 

“There goes my cell phone again.”  

 

Layla had called earlier but this time it was Dr. Stevenson on the other end. The Dna results were in and they had to go for the results.  

   

 

Llanview Medical Center…

 

Christian and Todd almost stood side by side reserved unlike their first visit to the center. Evangeline preferred to remain seated cradling a quiet Tangie in her arms. She glanced across at Christian’s bruised face. It looked like he didn’t care about it or was showing Evangeline what Todd did to his face that night. She couldn’t care about that right now because she was really scared her mind and heart seemed to be racing at the same time.

 

Diane finally handed them the results. They both opened the manila envelopes.

 

“Maybe this is a good thing. I don’t have to deal with you anymore.”

 

Christian tore up the paper and threw it in the trash. Evangeline’s heart was elated. It meant that only one person could be Tangie’s father…Todd. Yes!

 

“No…no…no. This can’t be right Dr. Stevenson. This is bullshit!”

 

“Baby what is it?” Evangeline asked concerned.

 

“This says that I’m excluded from being Tangie’s father!”

 

Evangeline quickly stood up. “This would mean…Hell No! There were only two men that can be the father and they were both standing in this office a minute ago. I didn’t sleep with anyone else!”

 

“I believe Evangeline. Did you do this test?” Todd pointed at the paper before throwing it to the side.

 

“I didn’t perform the Dna test. It was one of my technicians.”

 

“Tell me who it fucking is right now or I’m going to tear this place apart! My fiancée is not a person who sleeps around. Your employee is playing a fucking game with people’s lives or he/she doesn’t know how to do the job properly!”

 

A frightened stare came across Diane’s face because Todd was ready to explode. Tangie began crying uncontrollably and Evangeline couldn’t calm her down.

 

“Todd baby please…please.”

 

“I know she’s your friend but how could she entrust something as important as this to someone else!” Todd said angrily.

 

“I know baby…I know. Tangie needs you right now and I’ll stay behind and talk to her about it ok.”

 

“Tangie is our daughter…yours and mine.” She could hear the hurt in his voice. Carefully she placed her in his arms. He closed his eyes holding her tightly. Tangie’s cries echoed across the room.

 

“Yes my love…she’s ours. Please Todd take her outside and wait for me.” She kissed him and watched as he slowly walked out the room.

 

She stood before Diane terrified with tears in her eyes. This day couldn’t have gotten any worst than it had already started but it did.

 

“How many years have you known me?”

 

“Many.”

 

“Do you really think that I don’t remember the men I slept with? I apologize for my fiancé’s behavior but these tests results put my character into question.”

“Here’s the story. Todd and I went to Llantano Mountain to keep an eye on his daughter and her ex-boyfriend. We shared a room, a bed and we kissed but we never slept together. Both of us decided to give our significant others another chance. Todd was still wrapped up in Blair and of course I had Cris. Little did we know that during our stay in the mountains they slept together thinking we had already performed the deed. Both of us were hurt confused. We leaned on each other for comfort one night and…You must understand Diane there were no other men in my life at the time. These results are a huge mistake. You must believe in what I just told you.”

 “I believe you Evangeline and I’ll clear my schedule and do a retest myself.” Evangeline rushed into her friend’s arms and sobbed lightly. 
Chapter 9 by chocolate470

“I’m sorry Evangeline but I really don’t trust that doctor friend of yours.”

 

Todd had not only walked outside he and Tangie had retreated to the comfy confines of the BMW. An anxious Evangeline had to scope out his location when she couldn’t find him in the waiting room. His ornery mood was evident when she pleaded Diane’s case to do the retest.

 

“She knew how sensitive the situation was and yet she entrusted a dimwit to bring about the results.”

 

“Diane will do it this time around. She is clearing her schedule as well as her center to cater to this family. Please give her another chance.”

 

He turned his gaze to a peaceful Tangie breathing softly as she slept. Her frantic sobbing had subsided as they left Diane’s office and soon after being fed she drifted off to sleep.

 

“Even if I allowed her to perform the retest I may never be able to trust the results.”

 

“Damnit Todd,” she whispered harshly, “I believe in her as I believe in you. If I lived by the same creed that you apply to everyone I would have never agreed to marry you.”

 

He immediately figured what she was trying to do…reverse psychology. It worked. “Just because it’s you I’ll go through with it.” An exasperated Todd replied.

 

Evangeline still had something to ask. “If it’s proven that you are not Tangie’s father will you be able to accept it?”

 

“Evangeline, I am Tangie’s father. In your heart you’ve always known it to be true.” It was the response she expected but not the one she wanted.

 

The three of them silently exited the car. As they walked along Evangeline wondered about his response and the what ifs... What would be his real reaction? He probably wouldn’t treat Tangie any differently but what about their relationship. Was he lying to himself about accepting things as they may be?

 

Evangeline was right when she said that Diane had cleared the center. There were only herself and a security guard waiting for their return.

 

“I almost thought that you might not return.”

 

“The thought did cross my mind but Evangeline convinced me otherwise. I hope you are deserving of her unwavering faith in you.”

 

“The same can be said of you Mr. Manning. After just a few days to see you return to my office as Evangeline’s fiancé makes my mind apply the exact sentiments. What about Mr. Vega?” Her question was mainly aimed at Evangeline.

 

Todd responded, “He doesn’t need to be involved. If it’s proven that I’m not the father then he certainly is. End of discussion.”

 

“Let’s proceed.”

  

 

Christian’s apartment…

 

“Christian I tried looking for you everywhere.”

 

“Shit…”

 

What the hell was Blair doing at his place? He was trying to drown his sorrows and out of nowhere this bitch shows up.

 

“Aren’t you going to let me in?”

 

“Blair, go away! I don’t need your fucking company. I’m doing fine on my own two feet. Besides weren’t you supposed to be out of town?”

 

“I missed my kids.” She probably missed a stiff dick. He couldn’t say whether it was his or Todd’s.

 

“Yeah right Blair and I’m Father Vega,” Christian said rising up from his blank canvas. Drinking and artistic futility didn’t mix.

 

“Crissy come on…open the door. I know something you don’t know Christian.”

 

She could hear him rummaging around his apartment before he opened the door clad in an old t-shirt and washed out jeans beer in his left hand.

 

“Ok you got me. What is it you know that I don’t?”  

 

“Your place looks like shit and smells like old socks and turpentine. Hell Christian you look like shit!”

 

“Thank you Carmen San Diego.” Christian was referring to Blair dressed in dark shades and a wide brim hat. A navy blue blouse with designer jeans and black sandals completed the outfit. “I don’t remember extending an invitation to Suzie Homemaker or Dr. Feel Good. You wanted to come in. If you don’t like my face or my place turn around and get the fuck out.”

 

“Todd rearranged your face didn’t he? I can see why… you can be so mean and awful. I truly don’t have any guilt when it comes to excluding you from shit,” she said taking off her hat and sunglasses. “Can’t even begin one brush stroke...”

 

“This has been a fucked up day and I don’t have time for games! You’ve got something to say…just say it!”

 

“Alright! I know who the father of Evangeline’s daughter is.”

 

“Newsflash she isn’t my daughter.”

 

“Well she isn’t Todd’s either.”

 

Christian almost choked on his last sip of beer. He cleared a spot on his lazyboy and sat down. Blair stood arms crossed tapping her feet steadily.

 

“Am I boring you?”

 

“Not at all… I just don’t believe you. You have an air for the dramatics.” Blair flicked her tongue at that comment. “How could you possibly know the results unless you had a hand in the outcome.”

 

“Bingo – you hit the nail right on the head Crissy.” He hated when she called him Crissy in that twang of hers.

 

“Fuck you Blair! You had a plan and you didn’t tell me about it!”

 

“I would have told you that night before I left town but you had to piss me off and as they say the rest is history.”

 

Christian quickly jumped up grabbing her right arm saying, “Did Todd and I go down to the Dna Center for nothing?!”

 

“Christian let go of my arm!”

 

“Blair, do you know who the father of Tangie is?!”

 

“And if I do what are you going to do about it? Beat if out of me!” Blair pulled her hand away. Christian glared at her. “I dare you to call them for a retest since you are so dying to be Tangie’s father.” Christian smirked loudly. “Tangie is such a lovely name. Saint Evangeline knew exactly what she was doing.”

 

“Blair go away and let me remain with my little bit of sanity.”

 

“You can never get far Crissy,” she said caressing his torso. “Damn he had to hurt your pretty face. Thank goodness you heal pretty fast.”

 

“Cut it out,” Christian said without conviction.

 

“My poor Christian. How long has it been since you’ve been touched by a woman?”

 

“When you last touched me.”

 

“Let’s not fight,” she whispered, “we do better in on room all by ourselves. I can be the Muse you’re looking for. ”

 

“The bed is clean…”

  

 

LLanview Medical Center…

 

It felt like time was moving at a slower pace as she listened to the clock ticking on the nearby wall. It was her choice not to go along with them and her punishment would be the waiting. Where the guard had disappeared to she didn’t quite know but she was sure he was somewhere around. She was also sure that Todd was keeping his cool – no loud disturbances.

 

Before long she saw them approaching at the corner of her eye. Tangie had weathered another invasion…her baby was still asleep.

 

“I think you are mad at me.”

 

“Why do you keep saying that?”

 

“Your body language says a lot.”

 

“I told you last night – it’s the situation besides nothing surprises me anymore.” He passed the baby over to her.

 

“I’m going to stay until the result comes back,” Todd said sitting down beside her.

 

“It may take many hours. Does Diane know that you are doing this?”

 

“Yes she does but I didn’t coerce her.”

 

“Like you talked to Christian...”

 

Todd sighed. “I must stay. If I go back to the penthouse I’ll drive myself crazy and you as well.”

“I don’t think you can handle Tangie not being yours. I’m not saying this to hurt you Todd. I just want you to realize…”

 

“You are worried that I’m going to react badly if your friend tells me something that I don’t want to hear.”

 

“Should I be worried?”

 

“Evangeline because of you I have changed so much. I’m not expecting everything to change overnight but you must have noticed some change.”

 

“I’m tired Todd. We’ll talk once you come home,” she said rising. Todd stood up as well hugging her and kissing her lips lightly. He kissed Tangie on the forehand and walked them to the car before going back to his waiting game.

 

 

“When you can’t control everything you lose control of yourself. If it doesn’t go Todd Manning’s way then everyone better watch out.”

 

“Is that how you see me?”

 

“You are who you are and no one can change that side of you.”

 

“Yes they can if I let them.”

 

 

Mentally he recalled an early conversation with Blair during one of their many battles... part of him was afraid that Evangeline was losing a bit of faith in his utterances of accepting come what may. He acknowledged he could never totally get rid of the old Todd especially when it came to protect her and their family.

  

 

Todd’s Penthouse an hour later…

 

“I thought this would be over by now.”

 

“I thought so too. The both of us must have really messed with the universe – apart, together there is still a dark cloud hanging over our heads.”

 

“Evangeline, don’t give up on him. He needs you so much.”

 

“I need him too Jenny. He’s my heart and my soul. I hurt when he hurts and right now we are hurting and I’m to blame for staying away so long.”

 

Jenny laid a reassuring arm on Evangeline’s shoulder. She glanced over at Tangie who felt at ease her new surroundings and was playing a game of discovery in her baby swing….cooing from time to time.

 

Evangeline began fidgeting with her engagement ring. She appreciated Jenny’s presence and conversation – another soul to talk to instead of leaning so heavily on her sister Layla.

 

“You should go ahead and relax. I can take care of the baby. She isn’t too much trouble unlike my Benny when he was younger waa…waa...waa…if I left him for just a minute. He almost threw my husband and me into divorce court for the first year of his life.”

 

“And you remind him about it every time he gives you a spot of trouble.”

 

“Of course I need some leverage – that kid is huge.”

 

Evangeline laughed, “Thanks Jenny I needed that.”

 

**************************

 

For a little while she was able to relax in the Jacuzzi preparing a nice bubble bath listening to some easy soulful music and sipping on a cup of herbal tea. After her soak she brushed her hair lotion her skin and attired herself in a black camisole and white capris.

 

Reality was Todd still hadn’t come home. The bright hues of the day were changing into dark shades of the evening. The sun was setting over the horizon and Jenny was taking her last tour of the penthouse before she left. Evangeline lounged in the chaise observing her movements while keeping an ear to the baby monitor situated on the coffee table in front of her. She had placed a call to Todd but he was being very cryptic with his responses and she wondered about it. Lisa’s impending visit to Llanview was also weighing heavily on her mind. For the moment the front door buzzer was ringing.

 

“I’ll get it,” Jenny offered. Upon seeing their guest she asked, “Starr what are doing here at this time?”

 

“I came to see my dad Jenny.”

 

“Well your dad isn’t here,” Evangeline interjected.

 

“This is still my father’s house and I can stay if I like. I do have a room upstairs,” she remarked snidely.

 

“I didn’t say you couldn’t stay. You asked for your father and I told you he wasn’t here.”

 

“Starr Manning show Ms. Evangeline some respect. She is a very good person and your father loves her very much. I expect better from you. Apologize right now!”

 

Starr pushed pass her and flopped into the sofa. “Sorry.” It sure didn’t sound like she meant it to Jenny.

 

“Jenny it’s ok. Starr and I do need to talk.”

 

“I’ll go check on Tangie before I leave. Starr I expect you to behave while I’m gone.” Starr scratched her head casting her eyes downwards. “Teenagers,” Jenny sighed as she climbed the stairs.

 

************************

 

“It’s easy to blame me. Go ahead.”

 

“The two of you are engage and his kids don’t know anything.”

 

“We were going to tell you guys this weekend.”

 

“I guess you shouldn’t bother because it slipped from Aunt Vicki’s mouth. She and dad had a disagreement over you and she was very upset.”

 

“I wasn’t aware of that.”

 

“I’m trying my best to like you Evangeline.”

 

“You could have fooled me…our few conversations have been arguments. Like it or not Starr your dad and I are in love and we are going to get married!”

 

“Bravo!”

 

They were both startled at Todd’s sudden appearance.

 

“Starr, why are you upsetting Evangeline?”

 

“I came here to talk to you dad. So you and Evangeline are engaged,” Starr said quickly rising. “You should have told us something before it happened.” Evangeline turned away. She had already said her part.

 

“Young lady who do you think you’re talking to?”

 

“I’m talking to my dad!”

 

“You’re talking to your dad so I don’t have to run anything pass you for your approval.”

 

“She is going to be our stepmother.”

 

Todd became very frustrated. “That trip that you wanted with your friends for your sweet sixteen consider it cancelled.”

 

“Dad!”

 

“The party…the car…gone!” He saw the look on her face. “Say it Starr you hate me! You hate the both of us!”

 

“I’m leaving!”

 

“No you’re not! You are going straight to your room upstairs. It’s getting late and your mom is out of town so I’m the parent!”

 

Starr turned on her heels and ran up the stairs slamming her bedroom door. Evangeline took it all in and looked at Todd intently.

 

“Questioning my decisions,” Todd muttered to himself.

 

“I thought that was harsh.”

 

“I love her Evangeline but she has gone too far with her disrespect of you in our own home.”

 

“I understand but she could easily go to Blair if she wanted those things.”

 

“Sweetheart you really don’t know…Blair has lost a lot of interest in Starr. She has taken my side once too often especially during the split.”

 

If Starr had agreed with the break-up what did Starr want if it wasn’t her marrying Todd? She wandered but there was also something else on her mind.

 

“Todd you do have something to tell me…” She silently told him the question in her eyes.

 

“Oh! How could I forget?!” His features changed to happiness. “You made a good name choice. Tangie is my daughter…our daughter!”

 

Evangeline rushed into his arms crying. He was crying tears of joy too. The man that she loves and that she is meant to spend her life with is indeed the father of their precious little angel.

 

“Thank God! Thank God! Todd I love you baby!”

 

“I love you my beautiful queen!” He picked her up spinning her around. Evangeline let out a squeal. Easing her down their parted lips met in a long passionate kiss. As they let go Todd searched his pocket for the result. He unfolded the paper and said, “99.99999% that Todd Manning is not excluded from being the father of Tangie Alexis MANNING! Tangie is mine! I need to see my daughter!”

 

“Hey what’s going on down here?”

 

“Tangie is my daughter Jenny!”

 

“Congratulations to the both of you! I knew there was a silver lining in that dark cloud. Well I’m off.”

 

“We’ll celebrate with everyone tomorrow but tonight I need to be with my fiancée and my little girl.”

  

Todd visited Tangie wanting to scoop her up and kiss her but Evangeline made him do it quietly explaining that tomorrow he could do whatever he wanted the baby needed to rest. It was too late she opened her eyes and started stretching.

 

“My little princess, our little angel…you have always been a part of my heart from the first moment I saw you and you smiled at me. I’m your daddy…I’m your daddy…,” he said softly kissing her gently. “Daddy loves you and he always will.”

 

It looked like Tangie didn’t have any intentions of staying up too long because she started to cry.

 

“Ok daddy time to put your little girl back to sleep.”

 

“This daddy doesn’t mind.”

 

Evangeline left them alone and went off to call Layla.

  

 

Later on…

 

Todd showered and joined Evangeline in the master bed.  They had a mini-celebration of chocolate and apple cider.

 

“I’m going to frame the result and put it right in the center of this room.”

 

“Sounds terrific babe. I’m so glad this nightmare is finally over. You and I 

  

They talked about their future plans and the kids… how the families would blend. Evangeline needed to find a pediatrician for Tangie’s four-month appointment and she also tried to bargain for a reduction in Starr’s punishment. Todd said he would think about it and as for Tangie her pediatrician would be LLanview’s best, Dr. Evelyn Peters.

 

“Evangeline something is still bugging me.”

 

“I love these silk sheets. It feels so good against one’s skin…so cool. Who needs a man’s arms when this is available.”

 

Todd didn’t get the hint. “I don’t believe your friend hires idiots to work with her. It just doesn’t feel right.”

 

“Would you please drop it….”

 

Evangeline slid off the bed and walked towards the entertainment system. Her cd collection was threatening to overtake his accumulation. Todd continued pondering while Evangeline found what she wanted and popped it in. 

 

“Todd if you go deeper into this thing you might make Diane get into a whole lot of trouble. I’m the one that sought her out and she granted me a courtesy.”

 

Whitney Houston starting piping out her tune and Evangeline sang along with her.

 

I found out what I’ve been missing

Always on the run

I’ve been looking for someone

 

Todd stared at her dumbfounded. He had totally forgotten about the lovely voice she possessed.

 

Now you’re here like you’ve been before

And you know just what I need

It took some time for me to see

 

That you give good love to me baby

So good, take this heart of mine into your hands

You give good love to me

Never too much

Baby you give good love

 

“We supposed to be celebrating and I’m in the mood…to celebrate.”

 

“Evangeline you sound amazing.”

 

“That’s not the only thing I’m good at,” she said seductively…taking off her cami.

 

Instantly Todd was by her side massaging her erect tips. She moaned softly with anticipation as he gently squeezed.

 

“You’re right baby…let’s celebrate,” he said as he devoured her lips.

 

Evangeline couldn’t say how many times she came that night and Todd couldn’t say how many times he called her name but their love making that night was beyond anything they had experienced up to that point. After taking a shower they both went to sleep happily.

 

Todd awoke in the middle of the night very hungry. Evangeline arms and legs were tangled around him and he did his best to extricate himself without waking her. He looked in on Tangie before going downstairs to the kitchen to make a ham and cheese sandwich. He soon found out that he wasn’t alone.

 

“Couldn’t sleep?” Todd asked getting his stuff together. Starr was drinking a glass of warm milk. Her eyes were red from crying.

 

“I’m sorry dad. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. Evangeline is a nice person and I shouldn’t have treated her the way I did.”

 

“You should apologize to her in the morning.”

 

“I will dad.”

 

“I hate it when my daughter is fighting with the woman I love over nothing because I love you just like I love your little sister and your brother. You missed the big news.”

 

“What?”

 

“We found out that Tangie is my daughter after all.”

 

“I have a little sister! Congrats dad,” she said hugging her father.

 

“Ah Shortman sometimes you make it hard on your old man.”

 

“I am a teenager dealing with emotional changes.”

 

“So that’s the excuse. Evangeline bargained pretty hard for you so I think you’ll have the party and the car but the trip is still off.”

 

“I can accept that.”

“Finally I have a little sister. She is so cute but I bet she gets it from Evangeline.”

 

“Ha..ha..ha...She has the Manning genes so part of her cuteness comes from me.”

 

“Ok dad. Tomorrow we’ll celebrate.”

 

“Other things might be happening tomorrow.”

 

Starr shrugged off the comment and said, “Dad a package came for you.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“When you guys were busy upstairs I came down to get a snack. Steve brought a brown envelope. He said some guy left it for you.” Steve was the Security Guard downstairs. “It’s marked urgent but I didn’t want to get into any more trouble for causing an unwanted disruption.”

 

“Who could be sending me a package that late? It doesn’t look like a bomb does it?”

 

“No dad,” Starr answered sarcastically. “I put it on the side table near the door.”

 

“Ok Starr thanks. Goodnight.”

 

“Good night dad.”

 

He totally forgot about his sandwich and went to retrieve the package. He turned on the light and stared at it curiously. He touched it carefully trying to figure out what may be inside.

 

“It feels like a…” He quickly tore open the package. “A disc.”

 

It was actually a dvd with the phrase “View At Your Own Risk’ scribbled across the surface.

 

The contents of the dvd were certainly intriguing and it was proof positive of a thought that had already crossed his mind. After making a call he stripped off his clothing and climbed back into bed. Snuggling close to Evangeline he was confident in the decision he had made. He started kissing her cheek then the nape of her neck.

 

“Hmmm…,” Evangeline said still caught in between her dream cycle. She felt his arousal on the small of her back.

 

“I need you,” he whispered in her ear kissing it softly.

 

“I need you too my love.” …was her breathy reply.

 

She gave into the desire that he had created turning around kissing his sweet lips moaning as his hands continued their magical tour across her beautiful landscape.

 Tomorrow would be the great unknown but tonight belonged to their love.  
Chapter 10 by chocolate470

Inevitably the dreaded tomorrow did arrive but during the early morning light Todd was able to enjoy precious few moments of feeling Evangeline spooned against the length of his body. She sighed softly as he prodded her awake with his heighten desire.

 

"Again...you're insatiable."

 

"No I'm in love."

 

She leaned her head backwards capturing his lips in a soft kiss a hand reaching out to grasp his blond strands. But immediately she let go sighing as his fingers slipped into her passion cove stroking the sides of her vaginal walls hitting her g spot. Her cream started flowing effortlessly.

 

"Ah baby you're wet for me already," he said nipping gently at her earlobe.

 

"I would think that is a good thing," she whispered.

 

"Oh yes it is my love...yes it is."

 

He thrust into her from behind one hand stroking her sensitive erect tip while the other continued massaging her swollen clit. Early morning delights were truly amazing she thought as she reached her climax. He soon reached his own breathing heavily against her shoulder wishing every morning would be this pleasurable.

 

Morning...

 

At the breakfast table he played along with a lively Tangie satisfied from an earlier feeding.

 

"You have your mother's lips but those light brown eyes staring back at me are definitely mine never mind the color. Whose nose is that? Give me back my nose," he said jokingly gently grabbing a hold of it. Tangie squealed at his action.

 

Evangeline and Starr sitting adjacent from one another peered at Todd closely taking small bites of their pancakes - Starr was glad that her father was so thrilled and Evangeline contented that she was a part of the process that made him so. 

 

"My princess didn't need any test you knew who your daddy was from the first moment you saw me. Yes you did. I know how my heart felt when I first saw you. You're my baby girl...Tangie Alexis Mannning."

 

Starr decided it was the appropriate time to ask a question. "So dad, have you planned where we will be celebrating?"

 

"I was thinking of taking everyone to ‘Emerald'," he responded eyes still focused on Tangie.

 

"Oooh the place with the gourmet burgers and pizzas as well as a game room...."

 

"Honey I've invited Layla to join us...I hope you don't mind."

 

"We all have to get along sometime." He was definitely referring to Antonio in a roundabout way Evangeline surmised.

 

"Ok I don't want to leave my little sweetie or my two lovely ladies but I'm off to take care of some business and pick up Jack from Aunt Dorian's. It will be a pleasure seeing her again," he said sarcastically rising from the table.

 

"Business on a Saturday Todd..."

 

"Yes a bit of business - I promise I won't take long." He placed Tangie in Starr's arms kissing both their cheeks. As for Evangeline she received the full lip service before he waved goodbye and left.

 

*********************

 

"How long before she cries?" She asked staring at a smiling Tangie.

 

"It all depends on her mood but you can see she's cheerful."

 

She had to start sometime. "I'm sorry for the way I've treated you Evangeline. There was no excuse for my multiple tirades," Starr said apologetically.

 

"I accept your apology. There are really no hard feelings I truly want to be your friend if nothing else."

 

"I believe I want to be yours as well. My dad has found his happiness but..."

 

"You're still upset about your breakup from Cole."

 

"How did you know?"

 

"I guessed. I've been there a time or two but Starr at your age there will be time enough to get serious about a guy. You should get to know yourself first before taking that huge step and attaching to that one guy. Believe me sometimes it takes a lot of years before you do."

 

"It's somewhat hard when your body and mind seem to be spinning out of control all at once. Then there's the peer pressure."

 

"I understand but if you need to talk you can come to me if you're afraid of talking to your father."

 

"I think he'll find out anyway," Starr laughed. Tangie's small hand was hitting against her chest.

 

"Well it won't be from my lips. Us Manning ladies have got to stick together including the newest member."

 

"Have you guys set a wedding date?"

 

"Your father says whenever I'm ready."

 

"When will that be?"

 

Evangeline smiled with a gleam in her eyes. "Soon."

 

 

Emerald parking lot...

 

"Baby I don't want you to get into a back and forth with Todd. Evangeline, myself and the kids will be hanging out together from time to time. It will be embarrassing if every time we get together the two of you get into a heated argument," Layla said as the three of them strolled to the entrance.

 

"Daddy, Layla, hurry up I wanna go inside and see the baby."

 

"Alright Jamie." She jumped into Antonio's arms. "Layla I'll be good."

 

Layla had a feeling this was the same conversation Evangeline had with Todd.

 

It was an awkward feeling when they all congregated together. Todd had reserved a private room with a game room attached for the kids to play in upstairs. Downstairs Todd, Evangeline, Antonio and Layla ordered and ate quietly. Jenny was busy upstairs with the kids but she didn't mind.

 

Evangeline couldn't help but feel uneasy around Antonio. After all they had the secret from him not to mention Christian's involvement in the whole saga. She almost wanted to ask how Cris was doing but her tongue failed her and of course there was Todd.

 

Layla broke the silence. "Todd nice place - the food is splendid. Again I say congratulations to the both of you."

 

Todd and Evangeline gazed lovingly at one another.

 

"Yeah congrats," Antonio said dryly.

 

"Please excuse Antonio."

 

"He has a good excuse...for a brother." Todd just needed a push.

 

Todd and Antonio leered across the table at each other.

 

"Todd I want to have a quiet lunch without you behaving like a teenager."

 

"It's over Antonio. Christian is not the father and we all need to move on with our lives."

 

"Maybe he's upset about the whole Jessica fiasco. She's my niece that I happen to love her very much."

 

"What the hell are you talking about?" Antonio asked flustered. "My relationship with Jessica is ancient history."

 

"Layla you need to watch out for this guy I'm telling you he has unresolved feelings."

 

"Look who's talking about unresolved feelings. Take a good look in the mirror Manning."

 

"I think I've just lost my appetite. Layla let's go upstairs and see the kids," Evangeline said pushing herself away from the table.

 

"Evangeline..."

 

"No Todd you can't seem to leave well enough alone."

"I'm with you Vange...let's go."

 

"What did I do Layla?"

 

"You started it and you promised to behave."

 

"I didn't start anything. It was Manning who can't keep his opinions to himself," he said gripping the palm of her hand. Layla wasn't listening as she pulled her hand away.

 

"Keep this up and you know where you'll be spending tonight Todd."

 

"Same here," Layla said sarcastically. They both walked off angrily.

 

*********************

 

"Shit. This is your fault Antonio and I always thought you were the smart brother."

 

"My fault? I said congrats and you took it as an insult. So my brother isn't the father big deal. I still consider myself Evangeline's friend.  I'm glad it's finally over."

 

"I think we should try to get along." Todd couldn't believe the words came out of his mouth.

 

"Why? You love to verbally communicate with people in your own special way. It shows off your so-called witty charm."

 

"At least I have some."

 

"Will you please shut up...," Antonio said exasperated. Todd reminded him of the energizer bunny - he keeps going and going.

 

"I will once we get this situation resolved. I don't like you - you don't like me but that's not the point. If we don't try to get along our gorgeous significant others will put us in the doghouse. I don't know about you but I can't stand to be away from my fiancée for too long especially in the evenings."

 

Antonio sighed Todd Manning was actually making some sense. Evangeline had a hand in this turn around. "I've already had that unfortunate pleasure of being away from Layla and I don't particularly like it...not one bit."

 

"Let's shake on it. Deal...," Todd said extending a hand.

 

"Deal..." They shook each other's hand firmly.

 

Thinking about it they did share a couple of things together - they owned their own businesses and wanted to marry a Williamson sister.

"You're going to ask Layla to marry you?"

 

"I want to but I can't right now. She's not ready. I believe she's really enjoying Evangeline's old apartment."

 

"You are definitely a step up from Vincent and I mean that in a good way."

 

"Sure I believe you," Antonio grinned.

 

They glimpsed the ladies returning to the table. Somehow they must have been spying on them.

 

"It seems like you two have kissed and made up."

 

"Ewww Evangeline my lips are only made to kiss you. I'm missing your lips right about now so how about a reward for my good behavior...baby... please..." Evangeline obliged. Layla joined in with Antonio sitting down on his lap.

 

"Layla..."

 

"What Vange? Can't you see I'm very busy at the moment."

 

"Mom is here staring at us."

 

It wasn't but a few seconds ago when they returned to the table. When did Lisa slip in?

 

"What?" Layla's heart skipped a beat when she rose. "Mom? Dr. Hill?" It was a surprise.

 

Lisa Williamson had made her long awaited appearance and had brought along a guest.

 

"Layla, could you please take Antonio and go back upstairs."

 

"Are you sure Vange?"

 

"Yes just go. This is my battle with mom."

 

"Ok let's go baby." Antonio took a hold of her hand and together they went upstairs. Lisa didn't mind Layla leaving. Evangeline was right it was between the two of them.

 

Lisa Williamson was an impressive woman. Her elegance and style were passed on to her daughters. Todd gazed at this dark beauty momentarily before reality set in that she was trying to prevent him from being with the woman he loved the most.

 

"How am I going keep my peace if she says something hateful? Who is this Dr. Hill?" Evangeline couldn't respond her eyes were staring deep into her mother's gaze.

 

Dr. Marian Hill had been a family friend for many years. Lisa had always turned to him in times of crisis especially after their father died. His appearance was that of a well put together individual having the face of an older Blair Underwood with a soothing voice to match. He was one of the best psychologists in the Atlanta area.

 

"Surprised I know where you are? Surprised I brought Marian along? But I had to bring Marian with me since you've gone completely out of your mind." This lady didn't miss a beat.

 

"Hi to you too mom... Sorry to inform you that I'm not experiencing a breakdown. I'm in love with Todd. Why is it so hard for you to recognize that?"

 

"How can I accept my daughter getting married to a murderer/rapist/kidnapper. He looks lucid right now - owner of a newspaper, millionaire, billionaire...who cares - but underneath beats the heart of a devil." The way she expressed it got Todd's attention.

 

"Mrs. Williamson I happen to be a good father and I'm going to be a great husband! I love Evangeline with all my heart!"

 

"Do you really know the meaning Mr. Manning?" she asked shifting her position as she walked forward. "Your many marriages are enough evidence for me. I know all the sorted details of your past history."

 

"Evangeline knows it too and she sees how I want to change my life for her and our family. She still loves me and wants to share a future with me and our children."

 

"You see what I'm talking about Marian. Evangeline is not thinking clearly seeing a future with this guy...it's really pathetic... like he is. Look at that engagement ring it's like he's trying to buy her affections." She returned her focus towards Todd again and said, "You don't have a stake in my daughter's nor my granddaughter's future!"

 

"MY DAUGHTER!"

 

Suddenly Todd felt a pang on his cheek where Lisa slapped him. His face flinched and the area turned a bright shade of red. Todd turned away in disgust cursing under his breath...he couldn't and shouldn't retaliate. Evangeline encircled her arms around his waist leaning her head upon his shoulder whispering comforting words. He felt her love and was able to calm down as much as he could. Soon those soothing arms were removed and he decided to take a seat back at the table. Dr. Marian joined him. Lisa remained standing arms crossed across her chest.

 

"Mother don't you ever lay a hand on Todd again. What are you doing? Stop embarrassing me and talking badly about the man I love! I need to have a word with you over to the side. You owe me that."

 

Lisa gave Evangeline a quick nod then glared at Todd icily before turning to Dr. Marian and saying, "Marian, keep an eye on him while I'm away. He's capable of anything probably has a weapon hidden somewhere."

 

"Mom Stop It or this may be the last time you see your daughter or granddaughter ever again!" Lisa saw that she really meant it by the look in her eyes. It was the last thing she wanted.

 

"Ok for your sake I'll stop."

 

*********************

 

"Hi I'm Dr. Marian Hill."

 

"I'm Todd Manning...Evangeline's fiancé - father of our daughter Tangie."

 

*********************

 

The look of hurt and confusion was etched across Evangeline's face. Lisa on the other hand had concerns for her daughter's well being.

 

"Mom you really want to fight over this?"

 

"Baby I'm fighting for you and my granddaughter. What am I supposed to believe? You've just come back to Llanview and already you're engaged to Todd."

 

"Let's say I call everything off give Todd his ring back and go back to Atlanta - do you think Todd won't go looking for us?"

 

"Who cares what he does if I have to hire a hundred security guards to stop him from getting to you I will."

 

"Huh...Todd is the father of Tangie and I will never keep him away from his daughter. I love him too much to keep him away from me."

 

"You found out that he is Tangie's father. Why didn't you tell me?"

 

"You never gave me the chance."

 

+++++++++++++++++

 

"I should have guess Lisa would show up with a head shrinker."

 

"I'm her friend and she cares about her daughters very much. She wants what's best for them."

 

"I'm not best for Evangeline? Who gave her that right to judge our relationship?"

 

"How would you feel if your daughter brought home someone of your character? Would you be thrilled about it?"

 

Todd thought about it for a minute and said, "You got me there doc." He had to admit. "She didn't have to slap me. I was stating a fact not an opinion."

 

"So you really are the father?" Todd shook his head yes. "Lisa didn't know about it. Sometimes she can overreact to things she can't wrap her mind around."

 

"Humph..." 

 

Todd couldn't figure it out but he actually liked talking to the guy.

 

"As far as the things she said...that shit was years ago. A screwed up mind with little to live for except for my two kids Starr and Jack. I've changed a lot because of my friendship and later on love for Evangeline. I'm not going give her and my daughter up that easily without a fight even if it is her mother."

 

"I'm not here to judge anyone Mr. Manning. I came here to humor Lisa in a way. She is one of my dearest friends and I'm her personal confidant. I know that Evangeline is an intelligent woman and is old enough to make her own decisions."

 

It was still one of the few times that Todd thought about having a drink in front of him instead of the remnants of a coca-cola. The color of his face was returning but a tinge of red still remained along with the hand print.

 

+++++++++++++++++

 

"I've tried to walk away from Todd but we have a connection that always keeps me coming back. I don't expect you to understand what I'm saying especially after what you just did. Do you think for one minute that I'm going to leave him just because you say so?"

 

"Then why did you coming running back home?"

 

"I was scared to experience that feeling of love again. It couldn't be possible that someone loved me that deeply. When I found out that I was pregnant it just complicated the whole situation."

 

"Evangeline, what about Blair? That woman is connected to him until the day she dies."

 

"When it comes to Starr and Jack but not when it comes to us. Blair made him believe that she was as good as he could get. No good woman would get close to him but I want him; I need him; I love him." 

 

"Child..."

 

"Mother I'm not a child I'm the woman that you raised to be strong enough to think for herself. I choose Todd, his children and our future together. Everyday is not going to be birds singing and flowers blooming but as long as it's Todd, Tangie, Starr and Jack it's the life I'm willing to take," Evangeline started breaking down. It was like she was repeating herself over and over again. Todd saw this and quickly rushed to her side.

 

"Mrs. Williamson you can call me every dirty rotten name in the book and of course I deserve all of those names but your daughter has brought a joy to my life. We know each other, we feel each other's pain and we talk to one another. If it's hard for you to accept me as your son-in-law fine just go and leave us. I hate seeing my baby cry."

 

Evangeline went into his arms and held him closely sobbing lightly. If her mother was beyond convincing then it didn't matter anymore. She had Todd in her life to help her make it through. Lisa looked at them finding comfort in each other's arms.

 

"Lisa..."

 

"Yes Marian..."

 

"I think its best to leave this two alone but in the meantime why don't we go and see the children. You've missed your granddaughter very much."

 

"Yes... where is she?"

 

"Upstairs in the game room with the others..." Evangeline lifted up her head and responded. Lisa and Dr. Hill walked away quietly arm in arm.

 

********************

 

"Are you ok?" Todd asked softly grasping the sides of her face and staring deeply.

 

"Yeah I'm ok. Are you?" she asked caressing his cheek.

 

"Your mother packs quite a slap," he smiled, "but I'm ok. I wonder what it means," Todd said as they strolled back to the table hand in hand. He held out her chair as she sat down.

 

"With my mother who knows..."

 

"I actually like Dr. Hill."

 

"Well I'll be. He has always had that affect on people. He also loves my mother."

 

"Now I see," he said contemplating rubbing his chin.

 

"I'm glad I didn't tell you earlier."

 

"It would have been great ammunition."

 

The tears were gone now and her smile had returned. He would always love her smile because it made her lips look warm and inviting for a tender kiss.

 

"I love you so much Todd Manning and I could really careless about people's opinion including my mother's."

 

His fingers traced lightly across her cheek and his eyes gazed deep into her own chocolate orbs. "I love you too Mrs. Manning until the day I die."

 

He starting kissing her passionately and their tongues encircled intensely pulling the essence of love from each other but alas one still needed to breathe. Begrudgingly their lips finally released and arms enclosed happy that they were alone.  

 

Everyone remained quiet upstairs as Lisa and Dr. Hill walked into the room. Of course they had been eavesdropping on the event going on downstairs. When they saw the two approaching they had quickly scampered back to their positions. An excited Tangie brought the room back to life as she was placed in her grandmother's arms.

 

When they all got back together it was more enjoyable. The kids got their fill of ice cream and cake for dessert. Jack said it was a mini-party for Tangie. Layla and Evangeline winked at each other when they saw Lisa stay and mingle with the grandkids...actually posing for some family pictures Todd not included.

 

After the festivities Todd drove Evangeline, Jenny and the children back to the penthouse.

 

"The kids will be spending the weekend. I hope you don't mind?"

 

"Why should I? If I'm going to be a part of your life I have to be a part of theirs as well."

 

"Baby you're the greatest," he said kissing her. "I'll be back soon. Ok Jenny let's go."

 

Where did she hear this before? She could sense that there was something preoccupying his mind. Even though Jenny's husband stated that he would pick her up Todd quickly volunteered to drop Jenny off at her place since George had the weekend off or so he wanted her to believe.

 

 

30 minutes later somewhere on the outskirts of Llanview...

 

Blair awoke dazed and listless in a place that she wasn't familiar. She figured it was an old, abandoned house and time hadn't been kind to its structure. The decrepit walls bore the evidence of nature reclaiming what it had lost some years ago. She was sitting in a wicker chair having use of her upper extremities but her legs felt very weak.

 

"We suck the vitality of life out of one another but when you involve the people that I love a line has been crossed." She didn't need to see the face because she knew that voice instantly. The steps he made creaked the decaying wood flooring. "It has to end."

 

"Todd, how did you find out?" She didn't turn his way instead keeping her gaze forward.

 

"Bitch you shouldn't ask me that question. Why you thought I wouldn't is beyond comprehension," he said voice slightly elevated.

 

"Of course you would find out but that wasn't really the intent of my actions. Poor Evangeline she must have been worried, concerned about her future with you - a doubt that any woman would experience when it shows that both men are not the father."

 

"It was just a fucking game to you!" Inside of him boiled red hot.

 

"She has your love; your new daughter, your bed... I have nothing!"       

 

"You have our two kids!"                                                            

 

Todd stepped into her line of sight. She could see the disgust etched across his face longing to touch it again. He was wearing dark jeans, grey shirt and her favorite Armani jacket.

 

"Once we were a happy family with two beautiful children."

 

"You were the one that fucked it up. You thought you had so much control over me because of my wretched past. Opening up your legs for the Llanview male population and simple, stupid Todd always took you back. You can't stand that a good woman loves me with all her heart and we share a child together. She wants the best for me." Todd paused then said, "I can feel her thinking about me right now."  I'm ok baby.

 

"Screw you Todd. You've turned Starr against me and everyday I'm losing Jack."

 

"You leave Starr and Jack at your Aunt Dorian's every chance you get so that you can run off and get your kicks."

 

"I need a life too! You are not the only one that deserves one. Todd almost loses his life for a crime he didn't commit. Todd loses his son to a terrible tragedy. What about me?"

 

"Huh what about you...You were the one that chose to give up on me. Damnit I needed my wife to believe in me."

 

An eerie silence came between them. She could hear nothing outside but the wind blowing through the trees. Where were they? She hated the cold silence.

 

"What do you want from me?" She felt a lump in her throat but the tears refused to come.

 

"I'm glad you asked. Tomorrow you will call your lawyer and have him draft up papers stating that you are giving full custody of Starr and Jack to me and Evangeline."

 

"Never! To let you and that..." She bit her tongue remembering the last time she insulted Evangeline in Todd's presence.

 

Soon Blair started to realize her predicament. Todd had her drugged and brought to this desolate place. He could do anything he wanted. No one knew she was back in town expect Christian. She couldn't depend on him. Damn she tried to control him too.

 

"So this is new and improved Todd."

 

"You are alive and unharmed and not just because you are the mother of my two kids. You could thank Evangeline for that fact. Here's a thought I could give over evidence to the LPD and see you suffer in prison for a couple of months or maybe years."

 

"You wouldn't do that because Evangeline's doctor friend would get into a whole lot of trouble."

 

"Oh Blair in our battles there are inevitable casualties and I can show Evangeline why I had to do what I had to do." He was bluffing but Blair didn't catch on. With Todd Manning one never really knew. He crept closer walking behind her and stooping down to her shoulder level. He whispered softly in her ear, "I don't want your rancid body I just want my kids. By the way if you every fuck around with my wife again consider this child's play," She so wanted to say but Evangeline isn't your wife as yet. He quickly stood up and started walking away.

 

"You are going to leave me in the middle of nowhere...like this!" She yelled frightened.

 

"This place reminds me so much of you and what you have become to me. I'll have someone pick you up when I think its time." Todd turned around and smiled wickedly, "I really need you to sign those papers."

 

"AHHHH!!!!" She yelled to no one. Todd couldn't help but laugh.

 

 

Early evening...

 

The Manning's Penthouse...

 

Evangeline, Starr and Jack were sitting on the couch relaxing in the living room watching tv. Jack was situated comfortably in Evangeline's arms his mind squarely focused on tube while Evangeline and Starr had their attentions focused elsewhere. 

 

"Tangie's baby book! It is so beautiful." Starr traced her fingers along the pink borders and colorful ribbons before opening it.

 

"It doesn't contain many pictures but I think that after today I'll have a few to add. There are also a few mementos."

 

"And what is this?" Starr found a white square box tied with a red bow.

 

"I forgot I left it there. It's a gift for your father. What do you give the man that has everything?"

 

"A beautiful wife and daughter for starters..."

 

Their attention was interrupted by a whistling Todd strolling through the penthouse doors.

 

"Hey dad!" The kids both yelled together.

 

"Hi honey, where have you been?"

 

"Here and there and looking at this," he said kissing Evangeline. He produced a folder containing pictures of a beautiful colonial five-bedroom house. It looked more like a mansion.

 

"Dad you're buying us a house?" Starr enquired.

 

"Great!" Jack shouted.

 

"Great another move," Evangeline responded sarcastically.

 

"Baby we don't have to get it. I want your approval on this."

 

"It has a huge backyard. I'm seeing backyard barbecues and pool parties with my friends. Does it have a pool?"

 

"It has everything. Once Evangeline approves then we can go and take a look."

 

"I'm seeing a dog."

 

"A dog!" The others said in unison.

 

"I'll clean up the mess."

 

"Yeah right," Starr said.

 

"I don't know about this right now."

 

"At least think about it Ms. Evangeline...please...," Jack pleaded.

 

"Please..." Starr followed.

 

It was three against one. Evangeline caved a little. "Ok I'll think about it," she sighed smiling. Todd winked at Starr.

 

"Jack let's go upstairs so that dad and Evangeline can talk about it."

 

"Ok and we can check on Tangie...our new baby sister." He hugged Evangeline and said please again.

 

"Jack, come on..."

 

"Ok I'm coming..."

 

******************

 

"If you don't want the house..."

 

"Todd let's cut the bullshit. Where were you and what have you been up to?" 

Chapter 11 by chocolate470

Todd decided to take off his jacket. The atmosphere was beginning to get pretty heated including the perplexing stares from his impatient fiancée waiting for his response.

 

“Todd, I asked you a couple of questions. Say something.”

 

“What do you want me to say?” Evangeline frowned at his question.

 

“Hold on…”

 

She heard the front door buzzer and a man yelling pizza delivery. She and the kids had ordered a couple of pizzas earlier – one large pepperoni and cheese pizza for her and Starr and a medium supreme for Jack. Todd wasn’t on the list since he had become unreachable and they didn’t know what he wanted to eat.

 

While Evangeline was paying for the pizzas Todd concluded it was best to ask for an excuse when the time was convenient.

 

“Evangeline I’m going upstairs to take a shower.”

 

“Ok.” I’ll let you go for now but eventually we will talk. “Starr, Jack, Pizza!”

   

 

Capricorn…

 

DJ Linx had the crowd hyped on his remixes of popular Latin Reggaeton and yet Antonio wondered where he had lost his direction. Capricorn was meant to be a place for Llanview’s sophisticated bar patrons to get a great drink, an even greater beer – throw in a wide screen tv and some sleek furnishings and he had it made…once upon a time. Now the 20 somethings were taking over the weekends and he hoped that his security was checking the ids. For a few pennies more his dream was disappearing little by little. He thought about selling the place maybe rejoining the LPD or managing the diner. Eventually he would have to do something he was getting too old for this.

 

“Interesting crowd,” Layla observed the shortie shorts, mini-dresses with enough cleavage to make even a lingerie businesswoman blush. She was sitting close to him on the barstool.

 

“What!” Antonio yelled.

 

She started laughing it was really hard to hear yourself think with the amount of noise and activity that was going on around them. It was best to take their conversation elsewhere. She took their drinks and led him to unoccupied quiet corner – quiet was the operative word…at least it wasn’t as noisy.

 

“I would also consider our lunch with Evangeline and Todd pretty interesting as well,” she said sipping on her piña colada.

 

“You mean like mine and Todd’s earlier confrontation or your mother’s sudden appearance.”

 

“Yeah like that,” she said nonchalantly.

 

“I wonder what will happen to me when your mother finds out about my sorted past,” he said sneaking in close and brushing her lips with his. Layla moved her hair to the side and glanced at him sideways smiling wickedly.

 

“Compared to Todd you’re as meek as a lamb so there’s nothing to worry about.”

 

“If she only knew that in other areas I would never be considered…meek...”

 

“That’s what I love about you baby – you always keep me coming back for more of that meekness.”

 

He moved his hand to caress the side of her face while playfully nipping at her bottom lip until…

 

“Antonio I need to talk to you.”

 

“Excuse us. You have a bad habit of interrupting couples.”

 

“Layla I just want a few moments of Antonio’s time.”

 

After their last conversation it confounded Antonio that Christian would still want to see him much less talk to him. His eyes and hands pleaded for the moment and Layla reluctantly left them alone – she needed a refill.

  

 

The Penthouse…

 

The droplets of cold water cascaded over his entire body but within the depths of his mind thoughts were still raging from one extreme to the next – either Evangeline loved him enough to look pass this error in judgment or she would leave him forever taking their precious baby daughter along with her – Mama Lisa would be so thrilled saying I told you so.

 

An error in judgment? Please get over yourself and your lame classification for what you did. This time it’s going to cost you.

The words kept repeating over and over and again.

 

“Shut up! She loves me and I love her,” he said switching off the shower head and roughly grabbing a towel to wrap around his waist.

 

Love is never enough when truth is compromised in a big way. She will come for an answer and you better be prepared to tell her everything and take it from there.

 

“Shit who am I kidding…I’m scared…really scared. If she leaves my life it will be the end of me.” His heart began pacing. Todd wouldn’t allow himself to see a better outcome. It was just his nature.

 

 

Downstairs…

 

“Jack slow down or you are going to choke.” Evangeline couldn’t help but laugh at her stepson hastily eating away at the pizza.

 

“Dad says that I’m a growing boy and growing boys need to eat a lot.”

 

“Oh I see.”

 

When Evangeline beckoned them downstairs they went off to the kitchen grabbing some cold drinks from the fridge.

 

“Ms. Evangeline, have you and dad discussed the house as yet.” Since Evangeline noticed he began eating slower.

 

“Jack of course not…the pizza guy came five minutes later,” Starr interjected.

 

“I don’t keep track of time like you do Starr,” he said condescendingly then returned his attention to Evangeline. “I wish we could live with you and my dad permanently. Sometimes I hate being at my mom’s.” Starr was shocked at what he said and she glared at him.

 

Evangeline became a bit uncomfortable but she still managed to say, “Baby, Blair is your mother and regardless of anything she loves the both of you.

 

“Yeah,” the kids answered together.

 

“Hey where’s dad?” Starr asked just now noticing his absence.

 

“He’s upstairs taking a shower but I’m sure he’s finished by now. I’ll see what he’s doing,” she said picking up the baby monitor. “Could you please clean up the kitchen when you’re finished? Goodnight.”

 

“We will. Goodnight Evangeline.”

 

**********

 

“Way to go Jack bringing up living with dad permanently. You made her feel uncomfortable.”

 

“So I want to live with them in the new house. Don’t you?”

 

“If we get the new house of course but you need to learn that you can’t push things on adults. They need to ease into it.”

 

“I don’t understand a word you said.”

 

“That’s because you’re a dimwit.”

 

“And you are the bride of Frankenstein.” Starr chased after him in the kitchen.

 

“Help! The bride of Frankenstein is after me!”

 

“Shut up you little weasel! Wait till I catch you and then you’ll see who is the bride of Frankenstein!”

 

Evangeline upon hearing the commotion turned around and went back to the kitchen.

 

“I guess this is what it feels like to have kids running around the house,” she laughed.

  

 

Capricorn…

 

“Talk Christian you’ve got my attention.”

 

“If looks could kill I’ll probably be dead in Layla’s world.”

 

“I really wonder why. Cris Layla isn’t your concern bro you should be looking at yourself and your life,” he said pointing his index finger at him. “Tangie is not your daughter…she’s Todd’s. I know you hate to hear those words but its reality.”

 

“Don’t you think I fucking know that? I’m sorry you can’t trust my actions anymore. This whole fucking situation has caused a wedge between us.” There was a tone of regret.

 

Christian could look pretty pitiful when he wanted to but Antonio felt the need to play the older brother once again. It really looked like he had erased their last conversation from his mind. Antonio leaned over and extended a comforting hand on his shoulder.

 

“I won’t lie. I was very disappointed in the way you handled the situation. Todd is definitely not on my Christmas list but he kept his focus on that baby. I know you only saw Tangie once.”

 

Christian pushed his hand away, “You call that comforting. I heard you and Todd are buddies now. Is he my new replacement?”

 

“Shit Christian! I’m in love with Layla. Layla and Evangeline happen to be very close sisters. Evangeline and Todd are going to get married. We are all part of this huge circle with a fair amount of kids included.”

 

“Well I guess I’m the odd man out of this ‘huge circle,” he said looking away, “you’re going to need me one day like I needed you. Pray that I don’t turn my back on you like you did to me.”

 

“I really thought I could give you a second chance but I see I was sadly mistaken.”

 

Antonio was really hurt by his brother’s view of their relationship. He twisted his beer round and round in his palm.

 

“Whatever Antonio….I just stopped by to tell you that I’m leaving town for a while to clear my head.”

 

“Did you tell mom?”

 

“Yeah she is the reason I stopped by,” he said standing up.

 

“Ok I wish you the best of luck.”

 

“Thanks,” he responded uninspired.

 

Maybe someday they could be close again.

  

 

The Penthouse…

 

She searched the bedroom but he was nowhere to be found. Todd couldn’t possibly be playing a game of hide and seek…not likely. There was only one room left and that’s where she found him – standing quietly by Tangie’s crib gazing upon her as she slept. Hearing Evangeline walk in he gravitated towards where she stood pulling her against him. Something was definitely wrong and she feared what he might tell her given this reaction.

 

“Is it that bad?” she asked in a small voice.

 

He didn’t respond instead he released her from the embrace and led her back to their bedroom. She went over and sat on the edge of the bed while he remained standing.

 

“You’ve seen what becomes of secrets. I hate that you’re keeping something from me.” She didn’t even look in his direction instead her eyes stared at the mahogany stained wood flooring.

 

“I had Blair taken to a deserted house and kept there against her will for two reasons. One was to tell her that I knew that she had the Dna results falsified and two that I wanted her give us primary custody of the kids. Don’t worry the bitch is still breathing – safe, unharmed.”

 

Todd blurted it out so quickly that Evangeline had to wrap her brain around what she just heard but her lawyer’s mentality kicked in. She appeared unmoved by Todd’s revelation.

 

“When did you find out about Blair’s involvement?”

 

“Last night.”

 

“I remember you waking me up and…” It suddenly hit her like a flash of lightning. “Was it before or after we made love?”

 

“…Before…” He hesitated before he pushed the word pass his lips.

 

“Oh I didn’t deserve to know. That bitch almost caused harm to me and our daughter and yet I didn’t have the right to know!”

 

A strong wave of emotion swept over her. A long time ago she had this same feeling of inadequacy – naïve to think that the man she truly loved wouldn’t invoke this same sensation.

 

“Men must think me to be a very fragile female…they always keep things hidden away from me. The first time it happened I didn’t want to recognize the glaring evidence but you and I are very different…aren’t we? This evening I was worried about you and then I felt like you were telling me that everything was ok – you were ok.”

“I still remember what you told me the first time you came to see Tangie…whether I like it or not there is still a strong connection between the two of us which we can never deny. You’ve always pointed it out so definitively,” she said sharply.

 

It seemed to Todd that she was throwing her last statement back at him but there was one thing he never considered Evangeline to be and that was fragile. He stepped in front of her gaze. His masculine scent began overpowering her womanly sensibilities. Truthfully all she wanted to do was wrap her arms around him saying how much she still loved him and they could work things out but instead she kept her arms affixed to her lap.

 

“You’re so wrong my love,” he said gently cupping her face looking intently into her sorrowful chocolate-brown eyes, “an amazing woman like you would never be considered fragile enduring my shit over the years. You’ve always been good to me and have cared deeply about my well being. I take every advice that you’ve given me to heart that’s why I love you so much.”

 

Her eyes turned dark and defiant as she looked passed him and pushed his hand away angrily. His words weren’t comforting enough. She didn’t care about Blair and what might be happening to her but the fact that Todd chose to keep what he had done concealed made her extremely upset – if she didn’t ask he wouldn’t have told her. She wanted to slap him but Lisa had already beaten her to that tactic. Why didn’t he tell her? What was he afraid of?

 

Still Todd continued pleading his case. “You warned me to leave it alone and I was going to until I received that package. I couldn’t give it up that easily especially to the Llanview dumdums who would have shifted their attention to Dr. Stevenson.”

“I needed to scare Blair into giving me what I wanted…custody of Starr and Jack.”

 

“Another thing that you neglected to discuss with me…I can’t live my life this way. Don’t get me wrong because I’m in favor of allowing the kids to stay with us. I love them as much as I love our daughter but we should be making these decisions together as a couple.”

 

“Fuck,” Todd said stepping back raking his fingers across his damp strands. “Evangeline I’m…”

 

She raised her right palm and said, “Todd, I prefer to be alone right now. Please give me that respect.”

 

“Ok…I will,” he whispered reluctantly before walking away.

 

Todd glanced back briefly as he saw her curled up across the bed hugging herself. He had been carefully warning others about bringing her to tears and now the blame was squarely on his shoulders.

 

Maybe her mother was right – I don’t understand the true meaning of loving someone but there is one thing I know Evangeline – I will never give up on us…that must be love.

 

 

A few minutes later…

 

Evangeline laid quietly coming to the realization about the benefits of being a mother. Sure her whole world was swathed by Todd’s love but if she had to protect Tangie she would leave him in a heartbeat. It didn’t qualify for this situation.

 

How long have I ever stayed mad at that bastard? I love him but he has to wise up about telling me about his plans.

 

She felt him aching to comfort her remorseful that he had been the cause of her distress.

 

Downstairs he felt her too – she still loved him.

 

Todd flipped open his cell phone and started dialing.

 

“Pick her up…” and the call was ended. Blair’s momentary stay in the heart of darkness would scare her enough to do as he said.

 

He trotted back up the stairs never intending to leave her alone for very long. When he arrived he found the bedroom devoid of her presence – she was outside on their private balcony gazing out into the night sky probably contemplating her next maneuver.

 

He thought she looked very beautiful silhouetted against the skyline of downtown Llanview. Todd observed her shifting position slightly moving an errant strand behind her ear. It was time for him to go to her side.

 

“There was no excuse for my hurting you. I’m a stupid ass for letting things happen the way it did. Please forgive me,” he pleaded his strong arms encircling her waist – his lips kissing the crown of her head.

 

Damn his scent was intoxicating. “This is not about forgiveness Todd. I sure don’t qualify as a saint after keeping Tangie a secret for over a year. When it is this important and it can affect our family I want us to talk it over. We’re in this together. Damnit Todd I love you and I’m committed to spending the rest of my life with you.”

 

“I love you too baby and I promise we’ll never have to go down this road again.”

 

“That’s all I need to hear from you,” she whispered stoking his arms. A quiet sense of peace surrounded them.

 

She turned around and became mesmerized by his intense stare. In his eyes there was love and repentance. “Baby, please don’t take advantage of my love for you.”

 

“I never will again,” he whispered hoarsely pulling her against him.

 

His mouth covered hers savoring the taste of her sweet lips. Instantly it turned into a feverish dance of tongues fighting to claim one another culminating in soft romantic kisses as lips parted once again.

 

Instinctively his manhood arose straining against the confines of his jeans and pressing against the small of her stomach.

 

Evangeline smiled picturing the display, “I see someone is awake,” she said seductively.

 

“Very, you wanna see how wide awake he is,” he grinned slyly.

 

Todd eagerly unzipped his jeans and pulled it and his boxers down discarding them to the side. His huge ivory rod sprung free from its confinement. He smiled delightfully – one look on Evangeline’s face told him everything.

 

She moved her hand carefully along its length pausing to caress its glistening tip. He felt the covered tips of her breasts perk up against his chest. She was thrilled at the way it reacted to her touch. Todd responded with a deep moan…Evangeline could be such a tease but he allowed her to be so.

 

“Now I wanna taste what’s mine forever,” she said crouching down quickly taking him into the warmth of her mouth.

 

“Uh…,” he sighed in a low voice.

 

With his back pressed up against the corner he was clutching her bobbing head firmly. An aching fire burned within him as her tongue licked and suckled his shaft with wild abandon while a gentle hand was massaging away at his scrotum. Her missing hand was heightening her arousal making small circles around her swollen clitoris fingers sliding down its slickly cream path.

 

Suddenly he scooped up Evangeline and carried her back inside to their love nest. He deposited her back on her feet by the edge of the bed. They stood silently kissing as they proceeded to remove each other’s attire.   

 

“You’re so beautiful,” he whispered cupping the fullness of her breasts lightly stroking its pearly chocolate tips with his thumbs.

 

“And you’re so damn sexy,” came her breathy response.

 

Evangeline’s hands roamed freely across his bare torso and then his back as he drew an erect tip into his mouth laving it with the moistness of his tongue. “Oh…,”she moaned. He was making her weak and she fell unto the bed taking him with her saying, “Baby I need you now.”

 

He slid into her easily filling her with every delicious inch of himself. Evangeline wrapped her long lean legs around his waist giving in to the force of his penetrating desire. He was lost inside her and it was the greatest feeling that he had ever known. She moved with his rhythm all her senses taking in the incredible pleasure that he was bestowing her way.

 

On and on…up and down…in and out. Both bodies were drenched with sweat and the scent of their love making permeated the entire bedroom. He was reaching his destiny and soon they would be riding the crest of that incredible wave of satisfaction.

 

“Shit….” The sensation of her walls tightening around his shaft made his thrusts come harder and faster bouncing Evangeline’s body up and down on the bed her fingers gripped the sheet tightly.

 

“Oh…Todd…!” Evangeline cried out as sweet release washed over her. Todd let loose a satisfying groan feeling her body shudder beneath him. His own body grew rigid, then still – his seed spilling inside her. He collapsed against her breast breathing heavily.

 

“That was incredible…”

 

“Every time we’re together it’s an incredible experience.”

 

Tender lips met again in a lingering kiss before settling down in one another’s arms for a quiet respite.

  

 

A few minutes later…

 

Todd was tracing invisible lines along the curve of her back causing Evangeline to sigh periodically as she wrapped her tresses.

 

“Baby what are you doing?” She was really trying to get the wrapping completed.

 

“What a silly question. Of course I’m trying to get you back in the mood. Is it working?”

 

“You know it is,” she chuckled finishing up.

 

Soon he eased up by her side kissing the nape of her neck.

 

“So tell me my heart when is our wedding?” He was working on her breasts fingering her tips lightly. She gasped. “Tangie is our daughter and I want you to be my wife.”

 

“But…you said,” Evangeline said breathlessly.

 

“Damn what I said,” he whispered by her ear nipping at the earlobe. His hand was progressing from her breasts downward to her special place. “Baby, answer me.” Evangeline halted his movement.

 

“How can I respond when you’re doing a great job of seducing me?”

 

He kissed her cheek and wrapped his arms around her, “Ok I’ve stopped for the moment. So what’s your answer? Don’t tell me next year or this fall because that’s too far away. I can’t wait. I want you to be my wife like today.”

 

“How about next weekend?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Yeah…we’ll be man and wife by next weekend. Fine by you Mr. Manning…”

 

“Fine by me Mrs. Manning…Woo Hoo!” Todd yelled squeezing her more tightly and kissing her gently. Suddenly he jumped off the bed “Come on let’s go and take a couple’s shower,” he said scooping her up off the bed. “There are still more of you that I didn’t get a chance to explore.”   

End Notes:
My mind is in two places so forgive me!
Chapter 12 by chocolate470

“Come on Todd I’m not trying to hear this,” a frustrated Evangeline remarked, “It will be a great opportunity for you and the kids to get to meet the rest of my family.”

 

“Baby I’m not feeling all that great to go anywhere. I woke up this morning with a terrible headache and even though I took a couple of aspirins my body still feels achy.”

 

Evangeline immediately change her tune and said, “I hope you’re not coming down with anything.” She felt his forehead with the back of her hand. “You do feel a little warm but not enough to make me believe you have a fever.”

 

After taking a shower earlier that morning Todd retreated back to bed. It didn’t help matters when Evangeline told him about her plans to take the kids to a family gathering at her Aunt Cheryl’s home.

 

“You believe your daddy don’t you my little princess.” Tangie cooed at her father. She was lying on her stomach practicing her pre-crawls before Todd cradled her in his arms. “You see it’s two against one.”

 

“Part of me does believe you Todd but another part thinks there’s a reason why you don’t want to go.”

 

“Ok I also don’t want to run into Lisa and her negative vibes trying to impose her will upon our relationship.”

 

“Rome wasn’t built in a day Todd,” Evangeline sighed.

 

“This great divide between your mother and I is more like the Pacific Ocean and you know how long it took Columbus to cross it.” Todd decided to change the subject when he took a closer look at his lovely fiancée sitting beside him. “Your mamma is looking pretty sexy today.”

 

Evangeline was dressed in her yellow spaghetti-strapped blouse, black form-fitting skirt showing off her shapely legs hair clasped loosely at the back of her shoulders.

 

“Flattery might get you somewhere,” she said playfully.

 

“Why not everywhere,” Todd said slyly reaching out to touch her exposed thigh. “If this wasn’t a family event I would definitely be jealous of someone else getting all this eye candy.” He was just about the kiss the nape of her neck until…

 

“Dad you’re still in bed?” Jack asked as he and Starr barged into the bedroom.

 

“Do you two ever knock?” Todd asked irritated at the intrusion.

 

“Why was something going on?” Starr asked lifting an eyebrow.

 

“Not anymore,” Evangeline smiled rising.

 

“Jack let me answer your question. Dad is not going anywhere because he’s scared of Evangeline’s mother.”

 

“Starr, when have you known me to be afraid of anyone? I’m not feeling well at the moment and also I don’t want to be part of any disruptions because of her mother.”

 

“Alright enough about my mother…I’m going downstairs to prepare some lunch for your father before we leave.”

 

“Evangeline hold on for a minute. Since everyone is here I think we should tell the kids about what we decided last night.”

 

“My birthday trip is back on,” Starr said hopeful.

 

“Not in your dreams Short Man.”

“We’re getting married next weekend!” Evangeline and Todd yelled together.

 

“Well finally,” Starr smiled hugging Evangeline. “Congratulations,” Jack said hugging her too.

 

“Hey I’m part of the wedding aka the groom.”

 

“Dad Tangie is holding you.”

 

“More like hitting her father.”

 

“Uh Oh I smell something.” “Me too...” The kids said. Tangie started to cry.

 

“Come here my love I know…I know…,” Evangeline said hoisting a shrieking Tangie from Todd’s arms. “We’ll be back.”

 

Starr and Jack climbed on top of the bed and comfortably sat on either side of their father.

 

“I’m proud of the two of you for hanging out with Evangeline’s family.”

 

“I like Evangeline very much and it’s better than staying coop up in the penthouse and doing nothing. I’m not afraid of Evangeline’s mother. I believe deep down she likes you…a little,” Starr smiled.

 

“Why do you keep saying that I’m afraid of Lisa?” Jack snuggled close to his father causing him to ask, “What’s wrong buddy?”

 

“Mom’s back in Llanview and will be picking us up Monday morning. Dad I don’t want to go back. I want to stay here with you and Ms. Evangeline.”

 

“Mom called us last night,” Starr said.

 

“Oh…how did she sound?”

 

“Funny you should ask that question– at first she sounded excited then sad or maybe confused…I really can’t say.”

 

It was time to give them an indication of what he was planning.

 

“Jack and Starr don’t worry about anything. Your mother and I have been talking about making an arrangement where you guys might come and live with me.”

 

Starr and Jack couldn’t believe their ears. “Really dad?”

 

“It’s really possible.” They hugged their father tightly.

 

Suddenly Starr had her doubts. When was the last time she remembered her parents speaking amicably about anything. “Dad did you and mom really talk about this? And if you did does Evangeline know?”

 

“Evangeline doesn’t have any hang-ups about the two of you coming to live with us. As far as your mother goes yes we did speak and well the ball is in her court if she wants to do it or not.”

 

Starr was still not buying what her father was trying to sell but Jack was feeling optimistic. “I think it will happen in fact I’m sure of it…wanna bet Starr?”

 

“You don’t have anything I want little brother.”

  

“Hey what are you guys talking about?” Evangeline popped back in with a happier Tangie.

 

“Blair is picking up the kids Monday morning and they were feeling a bit sad about leaving us. I told them that there is possibility of them coming to stay with us. ”

 

“I know what my dad told us but Evangeline…”

 

Evangeline cut her off and said, “If I can handle your father…I’m sure I will be able to get along fine with his kids,” she winked at Todd. “Since that is all settled I want the both of you to come down to the kitchen and help me make my grandma’s special chicken soup. Your father is going to baby sit.” She gave him a kiss as she handed Tangie back to him.

 

“What makes your grandma’s chicken soup so special?” Jack asked climbing down off the bed.

 

“It’s a Williamson’s family secret recipe sure to get your father feeling better.”

 

“But we’re also a part of your family,” Starr reminded her. Evangeline’s heart felt happy hearing her say that after their rough beginning.

 

”Yes Starr you and your brother are definitely a part of my family.”

 

Le Petite Café…

“You’re my lawyer Paul and I hate when you question my decisions.”

 

“I’m looking out for the best interests of my client. It feels strange when suddenly you want to give your ex-husband primary custody of your two aces. Did he get to you in anyway?”

 

Paul Harrison could always smell a rotten deal from a mile away. He had been involved in enough of them to know that Blair wasn’t coming clean. To top it all off she looked pretty awful with puffiness under her eyes, dull tresses no makeup. At least her DKNY black pant suit was neatly pressed he thought. 

 

His piercing green eyes stared at her intently wanting to know the truth.

 

“Nobody gets to Blair Cramer Paul and you should know that,” Blair whispered harshly.

 

“Todd has always been the exception to the rule. He’s engaged to be married to a woman you totally despise and yet here we are.”

 

“Believe it or not my life isn’t on an even keel at the moment but I’m willing to sacrifice my own selfish needs to give my kids some stability.”

 

“You’re a bad actress feeding me that crappy shit. I’ve heard better sob stories from a homeless wino crying in his empty bourbon bottle.”

 

“How about if you don’t do as I say I’ll drop you as my attorney,” Blair responded sipping her wine, “there goes your big fat retainer.” That’s the Blair he knew so well.

 

“Alright don’t get our panties in a bunch I’ll get to it quickly. Remember I always collect double for this type of rushed paperwork.”

 

“Fine just send me the bill.”

 

“Blair but honestly speaking you really do need to get some rest you look like you’ve been out all night,” Paul remarked as he left.

 

She drank down the rest of her wine and poured herself another. Paul didn’t know the half of it – the couple of hours she spent in that decrepit house was a harrowing experience to say the least. Seeing shadows around every corner and hearing indistinct noises made her want to flee for her life but of course she couldn’t because she was still feeling the effects of the drug-induced stupor. Imagine how grateful she was when she heard the car pulling up to take her back to LLanview. Just thinking about it now made her skin shiver and she drank down her wine pouring herself another. When you cross the line with Todd Manning there was no telling the methods he would use to get even.    

 

The Penthouse…

 

Todd had already eaten his first bowl of Evangeline’s chicken soup and hankering for more. One bowl of that stuff wasn’t enough – it was so damn delicious. He found what he was looking for in the fridge and decided to reheat the remainder of the soup. Evangeline would be a bit upset but oh well who told her to prepare it so well.

 

He took his prize to the living room, put his feet up and turned on the tv – the Pittsburgh Pirates and New York Mets were playing the bottom of the 6th inning with the score tied 2-2. He thought about getting tickets to a game or better yet the World Series – a good outing for father and son. He was slurping down his last spoonfuls when he heard his cell phone start ringing.

 

“Hi Honey.”

 

“Hi baby, are you feeling any better?”

 

“I’m feeling fine. I think your grandma’s special soup did the trick. It looks like you and the kids are having a good time.” He heard music and laughter in the background.

 

“Yeah they are really blending in well with my cousin’s kids. I still wish you were here to see everyone.”

 

“Maybe some other time… By the way I’ve finished the last of the soup. I couldn’t help it.”

 

“I should have known that would happen,” Evangeline laughed,” I still love you anyway.”

 

“I love you too baby. Continue to have a great time.”

 

“Bye my love.”

  

As he turned his attention back to the game something caught his attention on the coffee table – it was Tangie’s baby book.

 

“Hmph…Evangeline must have forgotten about this being down here.”

 

The first time he remembered seeing it he immersed himself in every detail – information about where she was born, the attending doctor, her first photos, footprints, birth certificate. As he flipped through its pages he found Evangeline’s forgotten gift.  To the Man I love – a little note read. He started pulling at the red ribbon securing the little square white box. When he opened it he found another note that read – You may not have been there physically but you were always there in my heart.

 

The gift turned out to be a dvd marked ‘Tangie’s First Day’. A beautiful black and white image of a smiling Tangie overlaid the background. He placed it in the dvd player and pushed play.

 

First Scene

 

“Sometimes I wish you would get that stupid camera out of my face.” Todd smiled.

 

“You were the one that insisted that I capture the blessed event.” That was Layla’s sarcastic voice he surmised.

 

“Layla I’m not going to argue with you right now because hmmm…”

 

“Layla back up the camera and give her some breathing room. Evangeline, baby, just breathe…that’s it…breathe baby.”

 

“Mom I want to push so badly. I feel a lot of pressure. I really believe it’s time to deliver this baby. Where is the doctor?”

 

A nurse came into view and said, “Sweetie, hold on the doctor is on his way.”

 

“Evangeline are you sure that you don’t want an epidural to relieve the pain.”

 

“I’ve made up my mind mom. I’m going to have a natural birth. Mom hold me…I feel another contraction coming on oohhh….”

 

Todd felt a tug on his heart. He should have been there coaching Evangeline along…taking care of the mother of his child.

 

Scene 2…The doctor had finally arrived.

 

“Alright Evangeline listen to me carefully. We’ll count to ten and then you go ahead and push.”

 

Evangeline nodded her head. He could only imagine what she was feeling at that moment getting ready to bring a new life into the world. The nurse counted to ten and Evangeline pushed down hard.

 

“Ahhhh!”

 

“You’re doing great baby. Soon we’ll me seeing my first grandbaby.”

 

“Ohhhh…” Evangeline sighed and leaned her head back against the pillow. Lisa was carefully mopping her brow.

 

“Alright Evangeline…ready…”

 

The nurse counted to ten again. Evangeline took a deep breath and pushed.

 

“I see the head. Nurse Suction please…Ok Evangeline one more push and it will be over.”

 

Todd was drawn to the edge of his seat intently watching the birth of their daughter with tears in his eyes.

 

“1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Push!”

 

“Ahhhhhhh!” Evangeline was putting all her strength in that last push.

 

“Waa…waa…waa…waa…” Tangie’s whole body was flailing about as she took her first breaths.

 

“It’s a beautiful baby girl Ms. Williamson. Ok little girl it’s time to meet your mamma.”

 

Evangeline laughed and cried as Tangie was placed on her abdomen. Tears were rolling down Todd’s cheek. “She is so beautiful and still is.”

 

“You did an amazing job Vange.” Todd heard Layla sniff loudly.

 

“Yes she did. She is a Williamson... my baby having a baby. The baby is so beautiful.”

 

“She is a Manning now.”

 

Scene Three…

 

Evangeline was cradling a quiet Tangie in her arms. Already cleaned up and wrapped in an adorable pink blanket she was staring at her mother moving her tiny little fingers lightly.

 

Look at those pretty brown eyes. They certainly remind me of someone.”

 

“Evangeline…”

 

“Alright I should be enjoying you… my little sweetheart. You have your ten little fingers and toes. My angel mommy loves you very much. I hope I can give the best of everything.” She kissed her little forehead and Tangie made a little noise.

 

“Do you know what you’re going to name her?”

 

“I have a name in mind but for now put the camera down and come and hold your niece for a little while.”

 

It was the last scene. Todd sat back amazed at what he just saw. He was so caught up in what was occurring that he almost felt that he was there watching every scene unfold. There was no use in bemoaning the fact that he wasn’t present. He was so happy to have a gift that he would treasure forever.

 

 

 

Aunt Cheryl’s House…

 

Evangeline had the music turned down and stood on the steps located by her Aunt’s kitchen door trying to get everyone’s attention.

 

“Family…I have an announcement to make!” Everyone stopped talking and all eyes turned around and focused on what she was about to say. “Of course you know that I’m engaged to be married and even though Todd couldn’t be here with us this afternoon I want to thank everyone for making his children Starr and Jack feel very welcome. I also want to announce that Todd and I will be getting married next weekend and the whole family is invited. I will give you all the details when everything is prepared.”

 

Almost everyone applauded the announcement and some even gazed at Lisa who sat shaking her head with a scowl expression on her face.

 

“I’ve also brought a couple bottles of champagne for everyone to celebrate”

“Put down your glass Kiki…it’s for the adults only.”

 

The party got back into full swing with the music turned up, people laughing, talking and eating while the kids ran around in the yard. Evangeline and Tangie wound their way around greeting well-wishers. They finally made it to the table where her sister Layla, Antonio and Cousin Brenda were seated.

 

“So cousin it’s probably going to be a huge wedding like Charles and Princess Diana. Llanview better watch out.”

 

“Brenda…please you know me by now. It’s going to be an intimate affair with just family and friends. You’re already down on my bridesmaid list.”

 

“Thank goodness that I’m already in shape to take that stroll. I’ve been following a strict exercise regiment.”

 

“Then you better put down that barbecue rib before you pop out again.” Brenda playfully smacked Layla’s arm.

“Evangeline weren’t we already making plans. You really sprang a surprise on your sister. It’s too bad the groom isn’t here.”

 

“I don’t think he wanted to cause a scene with mom being here. As far as telling you about my plans…it was just decided last night.”

 

“Ohhh it’s one of those.”

 

“You have a dirty mind Layla.” They both laughed but her features totally changed when she looked at Antonio. “Layla told me about Christian leaving town earlier.”

 

“It isn’t anyone’s fault. He needed to take a break from Llanview.”

“Well I sincerely hope he finds a sense of peace wherever he is.”

 

Evangeline caught sight of her mother conspicuously sitting in a corner whispering who knows what to Dr. Hill.

 

“Layla, could you please keep an eye on Tangie for me. I need to talk to mom.”

 

“Evangeline, why do you keep doing this yourself? We already know how she feels about your impending marriage to Todd.”

 

“I still want to smooth things over,” she responded softly.

 

Evangeline made measured steps to where her mother and Dr. Hill were seated in the backyard. Dr. Hill seeing her approach stood up and gave her a warm hug.

 

“I’m sure you’ll make the most beautiful bride Evangeline. I wish you, Todd and the children all the best.”

 

“Thank you very much Dr. Hill. I certainly hope that you and mom can attend. Mom I also want Uncle Clay to walk me down the aisle.”

 

“I’m sorry baby girl but I don’t know if we can attend. I can’t be somewhere and pretend that I’m happy when I’m not. I’ll be bringing down everyone and we don’t want that to happen. I’ll be sure to ask your Uncle Clay if he can make it when I get back home.”

 

“Ok mom at least I tried but no matter what I love you and you’re still invited to my wedding,” she said before walking away disappointed.

   

“You must be Todd.”

 

“Yes mam and you must be Aunt Cheryl.”

 

“Yes I am. How did you know?”

 

“I happen to take a guess. Your face reminds me of Evangeline’s mother.”

 

“We have somewhat the same looks but I have half the temperament,” Aunt Cheryl smiled.

 

Todd thought beauty definitely ran among the women in this family and it sure wasn’t taken away by time. Todd stood idly by the front door not wanting to venture pass it.

 

“I should say congratulations. Evangeline just announced to everyone that the both of you are getting married next weekend. Would you mind joining us in the backyard?”

 

“Thanks Aunt Cheryl for your invitation but I don’t feel like going back there right now. I just want to see Evangeline for a moment.”

 

“Ok I’ll go and get her for you.”

 

 

Two minutes later…

 

“Hey Boo. You finally made it,” Evangeline beamed, “My aunt said to remind you that the family doesn’t bite.”

 

He lifted her in his arms and started kissing her passionately until she gently let go jokingly fanning herself.

 

“Whoa…what was that for?”

 

“For everything and how much I love you,” he said kissing her again and again. “I also found your gift.”

 

“The gift...” She allowed their foreheads to touch. It had totally slipped her mind. “Did you really like it?” she asked as her chocolate brown eyes stared deeply into his. “I know that you felt very hurt that you were unable to present at her birth.”

 

“It doesn’t matter now. It was the perfect gift and I loved it very much as I love you,” he said in a sultry voice. “Where is our little angel?”

 

“I love you too baby,” she responded encircling her arms around his neck and pressing her soft lips against his own. “Tangie is outside with Layla. It is time for us to go out and meet the family together.” She took a hold of his hand and they began walking towards the kitchen.

 

“I bet your mom was pretty happy about your sudden announcement.”

 

“I’ve stopped worrying about my mom. All I care about is you and our life together. We are creating our own family dynamic.” 

  

“Ahem. I see that I’m already a part of your conversation.”

 

“Surprised to see me here Mrs. Williamson?”

 

“When it concerns my daughter I put nothing pass you Mr. Manning.”

 

Evangeline sighed and turned around. “Mom, what is it this time? It’s already apparent what you think about us being together.”

 

“Don’t mind me. I’m going upstairs to lay my head down. The afternoon’s events have given me a throbbing headache.” She thought about it for a second before saying, “I have one last word of advice for you Mr. Manning.” Todd blue eyes gazed at her intently. “If you ever hurt my daughter and my grandbaby you’ll have to deal with me. I can be just as ruthless as you have ever been when it comes to protecting those that I love.”

 

“Well I intend to never hurt them,” Todd responded confidently.

 

Lisa calmly walked pass them and then paused at the foot of the stairs. “You know Evangeline has always been adept at rescuing strays. It looks like one got firmly attached.” One final jab before starting her ascent…

 

“Baby, don‘t mind her.”

 

“Honey I’m not,” he said interlocking her fingers with his and kissing them tenderly. “My mind and heart are totally focused on my gorgeous fiancée.”

  

“Evangeline there you are!”

“Well look who’s decided to join us. Finally your daddy has showed up to the party.” Layla was holding Tangie happily sucking away on her pacifier. “I almost thought my mother scared away the great Todd Manning.”

 

It was the theme of the day – Todd Manning scared away by Evangeline’s mother. Todd thought maybe he should have attended the event after all.

 

“It was more the heated exchanges that we might get involved in. It wouldn’t have been fair to the rest of the family who wanted to have a good time.” Tangie insisted on going to her father and Layla obliged. “You miss your daddy don’t you because I sure missed you a whole lot.”  He gave her a warm hug pressing small kisses all over her face.

 

“Evangeline you’re having a good influence on your man. There’s hope for you yet Todd Manning. Come on let’s go meet and greet the family.”

  

 

Monday morning…

 

Blair had picked up the kids earlier that morning. Evangeline was nowhere in sight and the contact between her and Todd was very fleeting. There was not need for long cold stares and harsh words being spoken. She had executed his order perfectly.

 

“Mom so how was your trip?” Jack asked as they strolled into her penthouse.

 

“The trip was good but I missed you – the both of you,” she added as Starr walked pass her.

 

Starr’s mind was distant. The place they walked into didn’t feel like home. It hadn’t felt that way for a long time. Starr also wanted to ask her a question there and then.

 

“Dad told us that you guys were talking about having us stay with him. Have you made your decision?”

 

Why that bastard. She was caught off guard by the fact that Todd was already dropping subtle hints to their children. It must have been his Plan B if she didn’t go through with what he requested.

 

“Well mom what is your decision?” Starr asked again.

 

“I’ve decided that it’s best…,” she felt a heaviness in her heart. Evangeline was getting everything that was once hers – a slow wrenching transfer that started the day she became Todd’s lawyer. All that bitch had to do was flash that ‘pretty’ smile and tell him how she would always be there for him and Todd was hers. “From now on you’ll both stay with your father. I’ll come get you every other weekend. The paperwork has already been completed. It will just need our signatures. I hope you’re happy Starr. You’re finally getting what you’ve always wanted,” Blair responded with a hint of bitterness.

 

“I wouldn’t have wanted it if you treated us like a mother should. You don’t want to be with us. All you want to do is ship us off to Aunt Dorian’s or Aunt Vicki’s so that you can go off and do whatever the hell you want!”

 

“Young lady don’t you ever speak to me in that tone again. I’m your mother for crying out loud!”

 

“Oh you’re a mother now!” Blair slapped her hard across the cheek. Starr was stunned for a second. “I’m going to call dad right now to come pick us up!” She yelled running up the stairs.

 

“Starr I didn’t mean it…

 

“Whatever mom!”

 

“Shit…”

 

It was frustrating dealing with Todd’s spawn. She looked like him, acted like him and took his side on everything. Blair looked for the only comfort she could think about – a bottle of scotch.

 

“Mom…,” Jack said concerned.

 

“Jack, go upstairs and be with your sister. Mommy needs to be alone for a minute baby.” Jack turned to leave but Blair said, “Jack before you go come here.” Jack nervously approached her open arms. “Your mother loves you. Do you still love me Jack?”

 

“I’ll always love you mom.”

 

Blair squeezed him tightly and sobbed. She let him go and said, “Now go to your sister…go…” He quickly ran up the stairs.

  

“I hope you’re happy Evan-geline,” she said unscrewing the cap and raising the bottle to her head. The brown liquid felt so good going down her throat but it brought back a lasting memory.

 

“Todd, you fucking bastard. Why are you tearing our family apart?”

 

“Bitch so you want to put the blame on me. All the times I came back to your sorry ass trying to make our family and relationship work but it was all a fucking joke to you. You didn’t care about me or this family.”

 

“I always cared about you and this family. I love you Todd…please…”

 

“When Evangeline left I realized that she was the one person that I want to share my love with. I want her to be a part of my life. Once I find my son I’m going to find her and never let her go again.”

 

“It’s always been about Evangeline but she left you didn’t she? She doesn’t want you Todd and even if she does she can’t love you the way I can.”

 

“It’s over Blair and this time its forever!”

  

 

“This time its forever…,” she repeated softly. She didn’t feel like drinking anymore instead she slumped to the floor crying uncontrollably.

Chapter 13 by chocolate470
Author's Notes:
Be Prepared for mushiness

"Jack what are you doing?" I've already packed. Stop moping around and get your stuff together."

"You've already called dad," he said in a sad voice.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Mom's drinking again and she's pretty depressed. I'm afraid she might do something." Jack sat down on the edge of his bed.

"No she won't Jack."

"How do you know?"

"Believe me when I tell you that this has always been mom's MO. When she doesn't get what she wants or things aren't going her way this is how she behaves. Dad has fallen for it plenty of times."

"Do you hate her Starr?"

"It's complicated Jack. I wish I could talk to her...you know have a real mother and daughter conversation but I can't and it hurts a lot. So my answer is yes I still love mom but I won't stay in craziness. Do you want to stay with mom?"

"I want to be with dad but I also want mom to get better."

"Oh Jack," Starr said hugging her brother. "We're not ordinary kids. We have been through so much because of our parents. I think it's time for us to start worrying about ourselves for a change."

 

"When will this fucking elevator reach the top floor?! Come on...come on...Fuck!" Todd beat his fist the panel.

"Would you please stop yelling!"

"Baby, how do you expect me to remain calm after receiving a frantic call from my daughter? Didn't Blair just pick them up this morning? What the hell happened between that time and now?"

"I don't know Todd but I guess we are about to find out."

The elevator stopped and the doors swung open. Todd rushed out with Evangeline trailing behind.

"Blair Open Up!" Todd shouted pounding the door. "Open up this fucking door or so help me I'll break it down!"

"Alright I'm already here!" ...came the loud response from the other side. Blair opened the door to a hysterical Todd his face flushed with anger, ready to pounce.

"Tell me where Starr and Jack right now!" Todd yelled grabbing her arms. He could smell the slight hint of alcohol on her breath.

"Upstairs...why? This is my time with them. We haven't signed any papers as yet. Todd let go of me!"

"When Starr calls me clearly upset about something then bitch I think your time is definitely up."

Blair almost seemed shock to hear that Starr had actually called her dad. What was she thinking? Of course she would.

Evangeline laid a reassuring hand on his tense shoulder and said, "Honey just go upstairs and see if they're ok."

"You're right," Todd said letting out a breath. He let go his grip.

Blair came back from her momentary shock. "Todd she is not allowed to come into my home. What the fuck is she doing here?!"

"She's my fiancée...where I go she goes! I don't need your fucking permission. I could care less about what you feel."

"Well I guess I'll just have to call security to get her out of here!"

Before Evangeline could respond Todd warned, "Make that call and I'll make you regret every fucking step you take towards that phone."

 

The kids hearing the commotion came running down the stairs leaping into Todd's arms. "Dad...Evangeline..."

"Are you both ok?" Todd asked concerned giving them a once over.

"Mom says she already has the papers so just sign them dad then we can leave," Starr said abruptly.

"Short Man, why is the side of your face so red?"

Starr glanced at her brother briefly then said, "Dad it's nothing. Come on let's go upstairs and get our stuff."

"It is something," Todd said caressing her chin, "If your mother had anything to do with this... just tell me. Evangeline and I are here now. She can't hurt you anymore."

"It's my fault dad," Jack interjected, "Starr and I got into a fight and I slapped her pretty hard."

Evangeline noticed Blair pull in a breath when Jack confessed. On the other hand Todd didn't believe a word of it.

"Is this true Starr?"

"Yeah dad," she responded quietly.

"I thought you wanted to leave because you and your mother have been fighting."

"I don't want to stay here anymore dad...please!" Her eyes pleaded for him to take them home with him.

"You see Todd...the kids are ok. They can stay here with me for one day. It was nothing."

"I won't allow my kids to stay with a drunk! Give those papers to Evangeline so she can look them over. I'm taking my kids home today!" He gave Evangeline a sweet kiss before following the kids upstairs. Blair was disgusted by the spectacle.

 

"I'm waiting bitch."

She so wanted to put a hurting on Blair for that shit she had put her and her daughter through but the kids had been through enough that morning especially Jack. Starr was very resilient more like her father but she could see that her brother wasn't of the same nature. He was more emotionally sensitive. She committed herself to playing an active role in his life.

Blair retrieved the document from a black folder that was lying on the sofa. Evangeline eyed her carefully as she handed her the paperwork.

"That little ploy you tried to pull regarding the Dna results was a new low even for you. Even if it was proven that Tangie wasn't his daughter we would have still stayed together," she said nonchalantly perusing the document.

"It must have been eating away at you because I know you felt in your heart that she was his. Would Todd stay in the relationship because he has the propensity for loving kids or rolling around with his lawyer?" She made a little chuckle. "I should give you props for being a good fuck buddy but I will still go down as his best." Blair smiled as Evangeline shifted her eyes from the document and focused it squarely on her. "Oops...did I hit a nerve."

"I hope you enjoyed your brief stay in the Bates Motel. I could easily arrange a return trip if you don't shut the hell up." Blair flinched remembering the experience. "Oh yes Todd told me all about it. You can blame me for keeping him distracted. The hours do fly by pretty quickly these days." Blair's mind was still reflecting back at some of the more horrifying moments. She remained silent. "Don't mess with me and especially don't mess with my daughter's happiness," she said in a restrained voice. "Todd is all mine, he wouldn't return to a washed up hag like you whose piano strings have been played one too many times by other men."

Satisfied Evangeline went back to her reading. Sometimes she really did miss being a lawyer - the endless research, countless hours spent with clients good and bad, the courtroom being her stage and the jury her captive audience. Above all else she missed the knowledge and prestige that came with being regarded as the best at what she did. It was also how she came to meet the love of her life.

She was nearing the end of her review. The document was in order - clearly stating Todd as the primary caregiver and custodial parent. Blair visits would be limited to every other weekend. Summer, Christmas and holidays were at Todd's discretion. She was clearly giving up a lot - her lawyer must have had a fit drafting it. The bitch deserved it she thought as she sang...Todd's mine you might have had him once but I have him all the time... mainly to herself but within Blair's earshot. Her eyes never strayed from the papers.

Blair couldn't take it anymore. It was obvious that Evangeline was taunting her every chance she got and that damn ring Todd didn't spare any expensive - it was a wonder it didn't break her finger. With Evangeline preoccupied here was her opportunity to do something about it....which she did. She lounged at Evangeline who was certainly caught off guard as they both fell to the floor...the papers went flying.

A struggle ensued and Evangeline managed to push her off the first time but Blair grabbed her legs as she attempted to get up... turning her around in the process.

"You're not going anywhere until we settle this woman to woman!"

"Bitch, get off me!" Evangeline struggled to keep Blair's hands from attacking her face.

"I guess you'll reach the altar with scratches and bruises as a wedding gift from me to you."

"You'll...eh... never get the chance," Evangeline grimaced.

Evangeline used both her arms and legs to hurl Blair off her body. She crashed hard against the coffee table knocking over the flower vase. The noise alerted Todd and the kids that something was going on downstairs.

Evangeline, aided by the sofa's armrest, stood back on her feet. A dazed Blair got back up as well. She charged head butting Evangeline in the chest. Evangeline staggered backwards into the side of the wall but for the second time she pushed her off smacking her with the back of her left hand.

"Ow!" Blair screamed touching her right cheek. The ring had evidently given it a small cut. "Bitch! I'm bleeding!"

"I told you not to mess with me," Evangeline said calmly smoothing out her tresses. "Damnit! I broke a nail."

 

"Mom Stop!" The kids yelled simultaneously.

"Baby, watch out!"

Evangeline caught sight of her opponent's oncoming attack. This bitch just didn't give up she thought as she took a hold of her flailing arms; swinging her into the edge of the wall. Blair hit the wall hard and her body slumped down towards the floor. She wasn't going to get up so easily. Blair groaned in obvious pain - her entire body felt bruised and out of joint.

Evangeline was breathing heavily. She really wasn't looking to fight with Blair today but she enjoyed the payback. She looked up and saw Todd and the kids looking at them stunned. Evangeline swallowed hard. She didn't have to say anything. He already knew Blair started it.

"Are you alright?" Todd asked embracing and kissing her lightly. Starr retrieved the papers while Jack stood by observing.

"It could have been worst," she said referring to her broken fingernail, "but I'm alright."

"Isn't anybody going to ask how I am? Todd, Jack, Starr...help me!"

"You'll live," Todd responded disgustedly. Blair was a hopeless case.

"Mom you need help alright but we can't give to you," Starr vehemently responded.

"Come on kids let's get your bags and get the hell out of this place."

"Todd! Starr! Jack! Don't walk away from me!" They all grabbed the kids luggage walked out and didn't turn around. "I'm your mother...I need you...," she cried to an empty house. "Why is this happening to me? WHY!"

 

The car ride home was pretty uneventful. Everyone kept themselves staring out of the car windows. Once they arrived home the kids retreated to their rooms and Todd and Evangeline stayed in the living room.

Tangie was provided light entertainment for her parents as they stretched out on the sofa. Everyday she was growing and wanting to do new things.

"I knew you had it in you but I never say it before. I loved the way you took Blair out. I'm cared of you," he said jokingly.

"She had it coming. You better behave or I might bring out my right hook." She played smack his jaw and Todd moved his chin laughing. Soon her mind returned to another thought. "We all need to get out of this penthouse and stop thinking about what happened this morning."

"I concur, my love. Do you happen to have a suggestion?"

"You know I do. Todd, could you please call the real estate agent so that we can get a tour of the colonial house." He happily acquiesced.

He had put it on the backburner given Evangeline's reaction to having to make another move. When the kids heard the news they became very excited.

 

It was a quiet neighborhood located in the growing Llanview suburb of Rivendale. The residents seemed as if they mostly kept to themselves. As they drove along the tree-lined boulevard the property came into view and everyone was thrilled. They hurriedly exited the car eyes roaming everywhere. Ms. Melanie Davis, a petite blonde real estate agent greeted them at the front door.

"I really wasn't sure if you were still interested in the property Mr. Manning but I'm very happy to see that you brought your whole family along for this tour," she said excitedly gray eyes shining brightly.

"Lead the way Ms. Davis."

This was one time that the dwelling lived up to its advertised imagery. Inside the house it was truly remarkable with its spacious five bedrooms; marble tiled 3 ½ baths, kitchen with modern fixtures and appliances, living room with a cozy fireplace and a basement that the previous owner had turned into a den. The backyard featured a deck, a patio with a covered pool and Jacuzzi. There was enough space to run around and add playground equipment for the kids.

Todd, Evangeline. Jenny and Baby Tangie were hanging out on the deck watching the kids play around in the backyard. The day's first real moments of happiness for them.

"So what do you guys think about the house?" The real estate agent eagerly asked.

"It's very lovely and our kids enjoy it very much," Evangeline replied.

"Could you give us a moment to mull things over," Todd said. This agent was too sprightly for his taste.

"Alrighty then. I need to place some calls but I'll be back shortly," she responded in a high pitched voice.

 

"Are you ladies agreed?" Evangeline was resting on his lap while Jenny sat across from them.

"Todd we can go ahead and sign on the dotted line. If it pleases you I will look over the papers but you've convinced me that this house is worth buying. I love it very much and as you can see the kids love it too. I also believe that it's not too big that Jenny and I won't be able to manage."

"Yes Mr. Manning, go ahead and sign. The hijos need a place to run around. They must be tired of penthouse after penthouse. You and Ms. Evangeline are building a new life. It's time for a change."

"I couldn't have said it better myself," he remarked giving Evangeline a tight squeeze.

"My only question will be... what are we going to do with the penthouse?"

"Weekend getaway for two," Todd whispered wickedly.

"I also think I'm inline for a raise given the added work," Jenny said calmly.

"Don't worry Jenny everyone will be properly taken care of."

 

Thursday Night...

Layla had managed to pull off a great engagement party on such short notice. Earlier in the evening both families had shared dinner with the kids at ‘The View' an exclusive restaurant in the heart of the downtown area. Its rooftop setting offered great views of the Llanview skyline.

Inevitably the kids were shuffled off to the babysitters while the adults partied on at Club Capricorn. The drinks flowed freely, the music was hyped and the dance floor was crowded with family and friends amongst them some of the staffers from the ‘Banner' newspaper.

The invited guests left them alone for the most part and Todd and Evangeline were able to mentally create a secluded spot at the end of the bar.

"How long has it been since I've drank one of these?"

Evangeline was referring to the dirty martini she was swirling around in a glass in front of her. Todd preferred his beer choice. He plucked an errant olive and inserted it into her parted lips. She chewed slowly and for good measure sucked on his fingertip. Secret messages were being conveyed between the two. Suddenly Evangeline turned away smiling.

"What? I can't help how you're making me feel."

"Could you be less obvious though?"

There was a slight bulge in his trousers. Todd shrugged his shoulders. "You caused this and no I don't want to be...less obvious," he said leaning in for a sweet kiss. Layla was about to end this pleasant encountering.

The music was turned down low and she grabbed a microphone saying, "Well folks looks like the party is officially winding down but we've been having lots of fun." Some in the crowd cheered. "But it's time for our couple to start off our slow jam session with a special dance. This song was requested by Todd for his lovely bride. It's a wonder he didn't invite the singer."

"I thought it would have been too much!" Todd shouted as he and Evangeline stood.

Evangeline raised an eyebrow when she heard the tune that started to play. It was Jessie Powell's ‘You'.

Oooh... oooh... you...

I've finally found the nerve to say
I'm gonna make a change in my life starting here today

I surrender all my love I never thought I could
I'm giving all my love away and there's only one reason that I would
And baby it's you

"Did you think I was all about jazz and Metallica," he whispered pulling her against him as they reached the center of the dance floor.

"I don't know Mr. Manning because you're always full of surprises." Evangeline's hands gently stroked the curve of his back.

"All good I hope..."

"So far so good..."

"Every morning when I rise I'll tell you how much I love you." His striking blue eyes stared back at her adoringly.

"I'll tell you how much I love you too."

Their foreheads touched and they allowed the music to carry them away kissing whenever they felt the need arise.

 

Jessica arrived fashionably late with two guests accompanying her. One Antonio didn't care to entertain and the other was her mother Vicki. Antonio had a minor reaction when he first saw her entering the club with Nash but it went away quickly. He knew his heart lied with the woman that was cuddled up beside him. Layla was his future - a new beginning, a whole world of exciting possibilities. One day they will be expressing their everlasting love. Instinctively Layla leaned closer to him and he kissed her.

"I don't know why you insisted on my coming. Todd doesn't want me here."

"Uncle Todd is getting married this weekend and you need to be there for him. It's time for the both of you to end this feud. Mom you'll have to be the one to make the first move."

The way you walk, the way you talk
The way you say my name and smile
The way you move me, the way you soothe me
The way you speak softly through the night

Every morning you rise and open your eyes
I just wanna be there with you baby
I just wanna be yours from this day forth

 

The song ended and the captivated audience applauded as they let go from their embrace and began walking away from the dance floor.

"Let's get out of here," he whispered.

"I was waiting to hear those words," Evangeline said nodding her approval.

With hands intertwined they were ready to leave but their quick exit was blocked by Jessica and her entourage.

 

"Todd I just wanted to...."

Todd cutoff Vicki immediately and said, "Jessica why did you bring her here. Evangeline and I don't want people around who don't to celebrate our relationship." They moved to the corner away from prying eyes and ears.

"Uncle Todd will you please hear her out...Mom has always stuck by you through some awful times."

"She has also stuck by Blair's fascination with getting us back together. Vicki, Evangeline makes me happy," he said harshly.

"Todd let's hear what she has to say," Evangeline said calmly rubbing his arm. Todd decided to listen.

"Todd it was wrong of me to try to discourage your relationship with Evangeline."

"Evangeline I'm really sorry. I guess I've always seen you as my brother's lawyer instead of his best friend and someone that can really love and care for him."

"Vicki I love your brother very much and we have a daughter that you should get to know. Tangie needs her family and you have always been a very important part of Todd's life."

"My brother couldn't have chosen a more amazing woman to share his life with. I would love to meet my niece and get to know her better."

"Todd, are we going to be ok?"

"It's been hard trying to understand your reasoning but you're my sister. We're good Vicki," he remarked clasping her right hand. "Enjoy the rest of the evening. It's time for my fiancée and I to slip away." Evangeline gave Vicki a warm hug before they left.

 

The Penthouse...

"What if it rains tomorrow night I'll need a warm body beside me."

"Then grab a pillow and hold it tightly."

After making love two times since their arrival Todd was brooding over Evangeline's plan to spend the next day and evening at her Aunt's house.

"You're being pretty funny," he remarked not too pleased.

"And you're being silly. Baby I need tomorrow to finish last minute details for our big day. Jack will be here with you and two of my male cousins. Besides it's a tradition that I like very much."

"Fuck tradition," he muttered.

Todd eased away from her arms feigning disappointment... his back turned towards her. Evangeline decided upon a tactic and went ahead with it.

"I want something and you're going to give it to me."

"No I'm not. This sex shop is closed for business," he said trying to sound serious.

"Oh yes you are." Evangeline gripped his muscular ass.

"Make me..."

"Like you Todd I always get what I want."

Her hand went around his waist and she started fondling his shaft bringing it back to life. He instantly reacted with a heavy groan.

"I can't get what is mine. Are you telling me that any woman can make you feel the way I do," she breathed against his shoulder.

"No one but you baby," he moaned, "There's only you..."

"I thought so...," she whispered slyly.

She let out a heavy sigh feeling his shaft grow rigged in her grasp. She wanted him even more and the thought of him being inside her again made her cream with anticipation. Abruptly he turned around kissing her fervently inserting two taut fingers inside her walls thumb massaging her clit to passionate heights. His erection lied heavy on the small of her stomach.

"Ohhh." A moan escaped her lips.

Soon his mouth was sucking hard at her hard nipples before traveling downwards to satisfy his taste for delicious chocolate cream. She tightened her fingers around the sheet as an orgasmic surge came over her.

"You've always got me wrapped around your finger but at least I can enjoy the ride."

He plunged his tongue deep inside her mouth allowing her to taste a sample of her cum.

"Time to satisfy my need for you..."

Evangeline arched her back and gasped as he thrust into her again and again driving her over the edge reaching her climax. Todd soon followed breathing heavily against the nape of her neck.

 

 

Wedding Day...

       

 

The Gown       Tangie's Dress

                          

 

Maid of Honor Dress   Bridesmaids Dresses

Evangeline gazed at herself in the floor length mirror as Layla and Brenda were adding the final touches. Her soft black curls hung loosely along her shoulders. Face featured earthy-toned makeup, a splash of cranberry cocktail lipstick layered with gloss for a subtle sheen. Bare shoulders covered lightly with body shimmer.

Evangeline, Layla, her bridesmaids, Baby Tangie and a photographer crowded the bridal chamber.

"You look gorgeous...Absolutely radiant..." ...were some of the comments.

"My dad must be anxiously waiting for this ceremony to begin," Starr remarked

"Patience was never one of his virtues." They all laughed.

"Did he give you this?" Layla asked as she carefully placed a pearl necklace around her neck. Evangeline nodded her head yes. He had suddenly given it to her before she left for her Aunt's house. She appreciated it very much knowing that it would have accented her gown very well along with her pearl earrings and grandmothers diamond bracelet.

 

 

"Starr your father has great taste in expensive and fine jewelry," Brenda uttered her eyes amazed by wonder.

"Especially when he buys them for the women in his life," Starr beamed.

"Let's try it on and see how it looks." It truly complimented the gown perfectly. *click* *click*

"Let us all leave these two sisters and get ready to take our positions," Brenda said.

Evangeline received hugs from all bridesmaids. She gave Tangie a small peck on the cheek.

"My big sister getting married... How could you be so calm?" Layla asked holding her hands.

"I'm not calm. I'm really nervous inside- excited...whatever you want to call it. I'm here ready to take on the role of Mrs. Todd Manning."

 

"Vange, how did you know that Todd was the one?" She let go.

"Are you thinking about Antonio? Layla there is no need to rush especially if you're not ready. Todd and I just seem that way but this thing between us has been going on for years."

"I'm so in love with Antonio but once upon a time I thought I was so in love with Vincent. How do I know it's real this time? I hope I'm not just towing the line because he has a daughter and wants to settle down." Almost immediately she regretted her statement. "I shouldn't be talking about this. This is your day. You don't have to answer."

"I will still offer some advice. Don't wait too long. You'll figure it out like I did. It's true that life doesn't have too many guarantees but it will come to you because your heart will tell you so."

There was a small knock at the door and they saw the door knob turn.

 

"Are you ladies ready? I think the groom is getting antsy."

"Hi Uncle Clay..."

"Hi Sweetpea...," he said giving her a hug.

"I'm so glad you were able to make it."

"I made a promise to your father a longtime ago that I'll always be there for his baby girls whenever they needed me. Now I'm ready to place his first born into the hands of a man who is prepared to do anything for you even stand up to your stubborn mother."

"Deep down I knew she wouldn't come."

"Don't worry about her. I'm here. Are you ready to take your stroll?"

"I'm ready."

 

Layla retrieved Evangeline's bouquet.   Uncle Clay took her hand and wrapped it around his flexed elbow. It was time.

 

Todd was already nervous as he kept a keen eye on the procession winding its way down the aisle. Where was she? Time seemed to be creeping by very slowly but then the music changed and when it did his heart started beating faster. All the guests stood in awe as ‘At Last' played - a tribute to Todd's fondness of the genre and their relationship.

Evangeline and her Uncle Clay came into view. Damn it was the most gorgeous he had ever seen her...his eyes welled with tears. In his eyes she was already the most gorgeous woman but today she took it to another level. Evangeline let out a small sigh when she saw Todd...her man looked so handsome and debonair. She couldn't wait to be by his side.

Blame me for this mess here but couldnt get the pic I really wanted but it is one of these suits...LOL! 

When she reached the altar her own eyes filled with tears as he took her hand. It was about to happen. They were about to join together as one soul.

"I'm speechless...you...you are so beautiful...more beautiful than I have ever seen you."

"You are looking very handsome yourself."

"Let's get married."

 

 

The Altar

The Vows...

I look into your eyes and I see our destinies entwined into one because we are insperable in mind, body and spirit. Our storied history together may not have had the classic fairytale beginning but my heart tells me that we'll live happily ever after...together in love as one soul and family. I love you.

Evangeline...mother of my child - keeper of my soul I fought for your love and when you opened your heart to me I didn't appreciate what you had given. I promise never to make that same mistake again because without you there's only sadness. When you're near me there is joy and my life is complete. I'll always love you forever.

"Awwww...," the guests murmured. The tears really started to flow and they had to get their bearings back before the wedding proceeded.

The ceremony continued with the exchanging of rings and the lighting of a unity candle with all the kids present. It was the perfect symbol of both families coming together.

By the power vested in me by God and the State of Pennsylvania I now pronounce you husband and wife.

Lips met softly then eager tongues took over. The kiss seemed to go on forever until the invited guests stood and started cheering.

 

Reception...Brentwood Estates...

Presenting Mr. and Mrs. Todd Manning...

Another cheer went out and the room and the bride and groom took their first toasts as husband and wife.

 

      

Two hours later and the skylight was fading. What a wedding and reception it had been. Brenda beat out Layla at the bouquet toss but Evangeline still whispered that she would be next. Cousin Calvin managed to catch the garter without trying too hard. Once it was thrown the men seemed afraid to catch it. Some of the kids had ran themselves tired and were sleeping in an adjacent room along with Tangie under the watchful eyes of Aunt Cheryl. There was enough champagne, wine, food, and entertainment to keep the invitees satisfied. Security was tight and there was only one incident of Cousin Eddie making a scene from drinking too much but he was given a good talking and he quieted down. All in all things turned out great.

The room became quiet as the newlyweds prepared for their first dance as a married couple.

Closed off from love
I didn't need the pain
Once or twice was enough
And it was all in vain
Time starts to pass
Before you know it you're frozen

"Is that your voice?" Todd asked amazed.

"Yes it is," she answered proudly.

Evangeline was performing Leona Lewis' mega hit to the slow rhythm of two acoustic guitars.

"I believe that you are the one that is full of surprises Mrs. Manning." He found her mouth to be cool from drinking chilled champagne. He loved the taste.

"It's the way I feel about you and everything I was going through with some of our family and friends - that song told part of the experience." He pulled her even closer their bodies meshing together.

"Baby I never thought that I was capable of finding a woman like you. My love for you transcends anything that I have felt before."

"It's a once in a lifetime love. We should always do our best to keep it going."

"I'll do more than my best."

Her voice was heavenly and every note she sang touched his soul. You could hear her emotion echoing throughout the room. The audience was truly captivated by her expression of love and glimpsed part of it as they danced

She sang the last notes to him and he sang it along with her and soon the song was over.

"Are you ready for another surprise Mrs. Manning?"

"I don't think my heart can take another one."

"My love I just want to take you on a tour of the estate before night sets in. Our carriage awaits."

She grasped his extended hand and followed him outside where she saw a horse and carriage waiting for them.

 

Todd helped an eager Evangeline into the carriage. He draped his arm across her shoulders and snuggled in as they embarked on a tour of the estates spacious grounds covered in beautiful flowering gardens and ancient oak trees. In the distance birds were flying back to their resting grounds.

"Enjoying the tour Mrs. Manning," he whispered. His male senses rising as he took in her seductive scent.

"I'm enjoying the tour but I'm also enjoying being in the arms of my new husband." Todd smelled good too.

"Later can't come fast enough." Evangeline laughed. "Mrs. Evangeline Manning. I love the way those words roll of my tongue."

She turned slightly and slid her fingers through his hair kissing him passionately.

The carriage was winding its way back to the estate when they heard the faint beating of helicopter blades whirling overhead. By the time they had disembarked and were making their way back to the estate the helicopter sounded as if it were touching down because it got noisier .All the guests proceeded to rush outside. Evangeline noticed that Todd was un-phased by this development.

"Baby what's going on? You know something about this."

"Just that..." He scooped up Evangeline who uttered a small squeal. "Time to bid our guests a good evening because it's time to go on our honeymoon,"

"Honeymoon... in that thing?"

"It will take us where we want to go. You're not afraid are you?"

"I'm never afraid with you by my side. I love you."

"I love you always."

End Notes:

Who knows maybe I'll bring back this family dynamic in another fanfic..

Thanks to all the readers who have supported my story and especially those who provided some great reviews! 

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=142