Our Sunshine after the Storm by kellyklue
RetiredSummary:

Can two people overcome the incredible darkness that seems to hover over their lives, to find the goodness and love that live in each other? Can they be each other’s sunshine after the storm?


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Drama
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 34142 Read: 66100 Published: 13/05/11 Updated: 30/06/11
Story Notes:

This is my original story. Any similarities to your life is well...wow! Please do not borrow or post this story elsewhere. No copyright is intended, my characters are my own.

1. Chapter 1-the players by kellyklue

2. Chapter 2 - the intro by kellyklue

3. Chapter 3 - prologue cont'd by kellyklue

4. Chapter 4-Maya by kellyklue

5. Chapter 5-Caleb by kellyklue

6. Chapter 6-My Life by kellyklue

7. Chapter 7-My Loves, my loss by kellyklue

8. Chapter 8-Got to love me or leave me alone by kellyklue

9. Chapter 9 - Where do broken hearts go? by kellyklue

Chapter 1-the players by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

Hello Readers! Please enjoy this new story. I am working on updates for the others too.

 

Maya

Caleb

Pop - Ernest

Reed

Jasmine

Jensen

Nina

Nadine

 

Casey - Star

Xavier

End Notes:

Thanks for stopping by.

Chapter 2 - the intro by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

Thank you all for your support. I owe you some updates and I am working on them :=O. Enjoy this new story for now.

Prologue

 

“Dammit pop! Who’s driving, me or you?”  Caleb snapped. His father was really working his already agitated nerves and his back seating driving right now only added to his annoyance.

 

“Calm down, boy.  I’m just saying that is awful dark along this stretch of the highway.”

 

“Dad, I know. I’ve been driving these roads since I was twelve.” Caleb Manning reminded his father.

 They had both lived their entire lives in Perry County, Georgia. Neither ever had much reason to venture further than the county line; unless they had to. Which usually meant work or in Caleb’s case the local sheriff required it. Everything that they knew was contained in that dusty little place in South Georgia and they never saw the need to abandon it.

“Yeah…don’t remind me about that shit.” His father responded, “You and that damn Reed, causing all kinda hell for me and your mother.”

Ernest Manning silently sent up a prayer of remembrance in honor of his late wife, who he lost years ago.  People often say that as time moves on the pain would get easier to bear. They were wrong. Mary Manning had meant everything to him. She was a loving wife and a devoted mother, who doted on her boys as if they lit the stars in the heavens each night.

He had to admit that he was glad that she wasn’t alive to see the hell her boys had been living in these last few years. It would have broken her heart to watch her smart, caring, loving boys spiral into drugged fuel menaces; Ernest thought as he glanced over to Caleb.

Ernest often wondered where he went wrong. Yes they were young when Mary died, but he believed that he had soldiered on the best way he knew how, to ensure that Reed and Caleb would grow up to be fine respectable young men. But somewhere along the way, things seemed to go terribly wrong. If he was being honest he could admit that his inability to cope with Mary’s passing was probably the stressor that caused his boys to break.

Sneaking a peek at his youngest son, Ernest couldn’t help but become wistful at the fact that the gods had found enough favor with him to give him back one of his sons. Though Caleb was no longer his inquisitive, eager, precocious 8 year old who was quick to learn everything that his father taught him; he was relieved that he was no longer the stoned drunken troublemaker, that he would have to bail out of county jail at least once a month.

First it started with the adolescent drinking, that Ernest quickly brushed it off as boys being boys and even laughing at his own youthful experimenting days. But Reed’s early drinking quickly turned into drug use and not long he was dragging a young Caleb to binge parties with him.

Maybe it was his fault, he had set relaxed boundaries because he knew that they were having a hard time dealing with their mother’s death; he understood what they were going through because he too felt the emptiness that lingered.

“I appreciate you coming with me, tonight. You didn’t have to…so…thanks.” Caleb mumbled into cab, without a glance to his father. He wanted to say more but, he couldn’t. Expressing his feelings died the night his mother did.

“You don’t have to thank me, son; despite everything that you’ve been through….you’ve taken every step to get your shit together. I’m proud of you.” Ernest beamed, referring to Caleb graduation from the local technical college.

Caleb was about to say something in return when he was suddenly blinded by bright lights in his rear view mirror.

“What in the hell?” Ernest screeched. Neither had noticed that they had picked up company on the dark stretch of State Road 341. Country living, it was the norm to encounter stretches of dark roads because the county didn’t have the means to light their share of highway.

“Where in the hell did that truck come from.” Caleb asked trying to shield his eyes from the driver’s high beams and fog lights; while trying to maintain his lane.

Suddenly the truck’s engine revived up as the driver speed up to pass Caleb. Horn honking, raucous laughter and belligerent shouts greeted them as the truck pulled alongside Ernest on the passenger side.

 “Maybe we should call Tate and tell him about this.” Ernest suggested reaching for his cell phone.

 Caleb quickly realized that this driver and his crew were drunk and it was best to let them have their fun and let them pass him, than to interfere and possibly cause a wreck. 

 “And tell him what pop? That some drunken kids are out doing the same stupid shit that Reed and I used to do when were stoned out of our minds?” Caleb eased his foot off of the accelerator, slowing his speed and watched as the loud Dodge Ram 3500 roared passed them and disappeared into the darkness.

“Yes; because they can cause a major accident.”

 He knew that Ernest was right. Caleb didn’t tell him, but he did memorize the license plate number as it drove by them; his thoughts were to mention it to Sheriff Hadley in the morning.

 The pair drove in silence for miles as Caleb thoughts drifted to the past.  That could have easily been them out at tonight doing that and much, much worst, causing so much chaos; he thought. He immediately shook the bad memories that invaded his thoughts at that moment. Reminding himself, that he was no longer that wild, drug fueled idiot that caused so much pain to his parents and others.

“Call Tate if it makes you feel better pop; but those kids are probably long gone by now.” Caleb blurted out, startling his father who had started drifting off.

Ernest fumbled to make his call, cursing his old age and trembling hands; not to mention the darkness and why in the hell did they make the buttons on cell phones so damn small. So caught up in his ramblings that he didn’t even feel the truck slow down significantly to an almost crawl.

 “Dad, tell Tate to send an ambulance.” Caleb whispered into the cab, causing Ernest to look up at sight before them.

 Ernest looked up from his phone to see a car lying in the middle of the road flipped over on its top. Through the darkness of the night both could clearly see faint plumes of smoke escaping from the wreck.

 Caleb hastily put the truck into park and rushed out to see if there were any injuries or worst casualties. The late model Honda Accord was barely recognizable and above the hiss of the fractured vehicle, he could make out strained whimpers as he neared the wreckage.  Reaching the car, Caleb got down onto his hands and knees and crawled closer to the driver’s side, peering into the shattered window.

 “Please…please…please help me…” was the faint plead from the driver.  It was a woman. Her cry for help gnawed at his soul.

 Her back was to him and head was resting closer to the passenger side of the car, obscuring most of her face; but he could make out in the darkness of the night that she was a black female. 

 “Don’t try to talk, Miss; the ambulance is on the way.” Caleb assured, hoping that his father got through to the sheriff’s office.

Reaching for the flashlight that was in his hand, he clicked it on to see if there was any way to possibly pull her out of the window or windshield. Shining the light into the now cramped spaced, Caleb immediately felt panicked, when he saw the amount of blood splattered in the car.

 “Please...” She cried, “The baby…”

Caleb’s eyes quickly darted to her middle and the flashlight followed suit.  It was so dark that he didn’t notice it initially; but now that it was brought to his attention, he couldn’t understand how he missed it before. His heart quickened when he noticed that her protruding stomach was practically resting on the twisted steering wheel.

 “He’s moving…it’s too soon.” The driver whined in pain.

This wasn’t good. She was lodged in her seat. Caleb’s immediate reaction to that was to try to get them out of the car; but because it was on its top, it seemed nearly impossible to get to them.

“Don’t try to move.” Caleb knew that it was a dangerous move to try and extract a pregnant woman on his own; but he had to try.

Her muffled cries tore at his core and knowing that he hadn’t called the sheriff about the crazy driver before made him feel guilty. “Hey, calm down…help is coming; I’ll be right back.”

“Wait; no please don’t leave us…” Was the woman’s cry as Caleb attempted to get up. “I don’t want us to die here, alone.” Crying harder, the woman tried to turn towards the sound of his voice but she couldn’t move.

 “Just calm down, I ain’t gonna let you die out here.” He assured, hoping that she could find some comfort in his words.  “Take a deep breath and try to calm down, ok. Think about the baby.”

Nodding her head slightly, the driver did just that. “Dylan…” she breathed out as another pain assaulted her, “the baby’s name is Dylan.”

 “Dylan…” Caleb repeated, “See, now that’s a good strong name; sounds like a fighter to me. Hang in there mom, keep talking. Dylan needs you to stay awake.”

Maya took a deep breath and thought about Dylan. He was her only company lately and she wasn’t ready for them to be parted, just yet. She prayed that he was ok, he had to be; he was all she had now.

 ----------------------------------

Maya knew that she was in trouble when she felt her stomach lurch; baby Dylan was just as uncomfortable as she was. No matter how much she tried, she could not maneuver her hands into position to reach for her cell phone after the crash.  Tears of frustration and alarm streamed down her face, as a million morbid thoughts raced through her mind. It wasn’t until she heard the screech of tires and a calm reassuring voice that she started to feel hopeful that she and Dylan wouldn’t die tonight.

 --------------------------

She tried to listen to the activity outside but her head was throbbing. Maya closed her eyes in an effort to stay calm but all it did was cause her to replay this dreary day.

 Maya Holliday didn’t think that her day could get much worst from her early waking hours this morning. But clearly she was wrong. Not only did she wake up late, but that cause her to be late to her econ final. Luckily Professor Cleare was in a generous mood and allowed her to enter the lecture hall, breaking one of his own tardy rules.

 In her haste to make the final she parked in an illegal spot on campus and was there just in time to be greeted by the parking attendant placing a boot on her car. After several minutes of negotiation, the attendant took the $35 she had in her purse in lieu of the $50 it would have normally cost.

 Rushing to get to her evening job on time, she left home without her back up shoes. Yep, seven months pregnant and wearing heels were well beyond torture. And if that wasn’t enough to top of the disastrous day, on her way back home to Fort Valley, from working a late night shift at the Peach Landing Country Club, a bunch of idiots thought that it would be fun to play chicken on the highway with the lights off and then turn on high beams when they were nearly head on with a driver. Swerving to avoid a head on collision with the idiots, she lost control of her car and flipped over.

---------------------------

They had to be alright. Even with Dylan on the way, all of her plans were finally falling into place. One more semester and she would have her degree in hospitality management from Fort Valley State; and yet another weapon would be added to her arsenal. It was a hard fought battle but she knew that it would be well worth it in the end. 

 Even though she would have to take yet another semester off to have the baby, she didn’t mind.  Blinking back tears, she didn’t want to cry because she knew that she would become hysterical and that wouldn’t help her or Dylan.

 Dylan, she sighed. Baby Dylan, who was so unexpected, slowly crept into her heart and took over her life. But in a good way and now she couldn’t imagine what she would do if she lost him tonight.  Maya would be the first to admit that she was terrified when she found out that she was pregnant; but as the days rolled into months and Dylan grew bigger inside her, she couldn’t imagine life without him.

 But now this?

 Having a baby right now, she thought would put a serious dent in her future plans. But like most people she found a way to adjust and make changes. Her plan was to still move to Atlanta after college and get a job at one of the bigger hotel chains, for more exposure to international operations; but for now, baby Dylan was her number one priority.

  -------------------------------

 “How many people?” Ernest rushed out, still clutching the phone to his ear.

 “Just one, but she’s pregnant. And she thinks that the baby is coming.” Turning to his father, Caleb informed him of her visible injuries and suspected that she might have a concussion or other head injury; because her speech had started to slur slightly and she was fading in and out of the conversation.

 Caleb went to his truck to grab all the tools he could carry. Heading back to the wreck he rushed to the passenger side of the car with his crowbar in hand.

 “What the hell are you gonna do?” Ernest asked watching Caleb return with his tools.

 “Smash out the passenger side window, so that I can try to slide in try to pry off the steering wheel.”

 “Are you crazy?”

 “Dad, I can’t let them stay in there; she can’t move and that steering wheel is pressing right on top of the baby. The car is hissing and....”

 Ernest nodded his head in understanding, Caleb was always the sensitive son; willing to help others when he could.

 “Be careful son, shattering that window will send glass flying everywhere and that could make matters worse.”

Caleb looked at his father after he spoke. He didn’t think about that; he had to at least try something. He couldn’t stand there waiting for help, knowing that that crouched position could cause the baby injuries or worse, result in his death.

 ********************

 “Just stay calm ok darlin’, help is coming.” Ernest soothed. He’d got on the ground just as Caleb had before to try and keep the driver alert and taking. He watched as Caleb assessed the best way to shatter the passenger side window, hoping that his son was successful in his efforts.

 “Thanks.” Maya mumbled as another pain racked her sore body.”

 “My son, Caleb is determined to get you both out of here.”

 Maya froze as that name rolled around in her head. “Cal…Caleb?”

 “Yeah, the guy with the axe and crowbar….that’s my son, Caleb.” he pointed out.

 Maya fought the pain to move her head, so that she could see who exactly her rescuer was. Caleb’s bright blue eyes locked with Maya’s soft brown orbs, as a cry so loud and murderous escaped from her lips; he was sure everyone in South Georgia heard it.

 --------------------------

 ‘Oh god…oh god,’ she whimpered as recognition dawned on her. Maya would never forget those eyes. How could she? They were like the color of the sky on a bright sunny summer’s day, sparkling and mesmerizing. If the circumstance were of a different nature, she may have thought them beautiful. 

 Alone on a dark desolate stretch of highway, what was the odds of being rescued by the one person who had the power to haunt her dreams. Letting loose a scream of terror that she was sure no other could match, her tears fell faster than rain; seeing those eyes caused her to become panic stricken. Fighting to stay coherent, she kept repeating Dylan’s name; but the pull of darkness was too much for her to fight as she slipped into the abyss.

 -----------------------------

 The sound of Maya’s scream was so blood curling that hearing it frightened Caleb, causing him to slip from his crouched position and onto his ass. Scooting away from the car as if he’d just been scorched, he nearly bowled poor old Ernest over.

 “The hell’s got you moving like the devil is on your ass boy?” Ernest shouted as Caleb attempted to stand but stumbled from the car.

 Caleb couldn’t respond to his father. The ache that gripped his chest was unlike anything he’d ever felt before. Words at that moment failed him. He could barely hold back his revulsion and the vomit that escaped his throat as he began reliving that dreaded night.

When Caleb heard Maya scream, he knew that without a doubt that he was the cause. He wondered how many times he had brought her to that tormented state and just thinking about it, caused his own tears to fall.

End Notes:

Tell me what you think. Thank you for reading and supporting my efforts.

Chapter 3 - prologue cont'd by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

Hi Ladies thank you for reading and commenting. This chapter is the continuation of the prologue and contains foul language, references to drug use and non-consensual sex. If you are offended by any of those things, please feel free to skip this chapter.

All text in italics are meant to be flashbacks.

Prologue cont’d

 

It was nearly two in the morning and Caleb was now starting to feel the events of the day catching up to him. His eyes felt like they were on fire and every muscle in his body ached. Caleb sat in the hard plastic chairs in the waiting room next to his father who dozing off. He had offered to take pop home but he told his son that he wouldn’t be able to sleep until he found out that Maya and Dylan were ok. Caleb understood exactly what his father meant. He couldn’t sleep right now, not even if his own life was on the line. And in a matter of speaking it was.

 

“No please don’t; I’m not a dancer or anything.”

 

He flexed his bandaged hand, only to just notice the cuts on his fingers; souvenirs from breaking the window on Maya’s car. Maya.

 

“She’s your birthday gift, bro.” Reed smiled towards Maya. Moving to her, he whispered something to her that caused her to flinch and cry harder.

 

“Listen, guys hey. I’m the dancer here, why don’t we find us a quiet corner and I’ll give you and the birthday boy as many dances as you want.” Nina offered, fingering the buttons on her top. She had dealt with enough assholes like them to know that this could escalate into something horrible.

 

“That sounds like fun peaches, but I paid for her and that’s what my brother’s gonna get.” Taking his eyes off of Maya for a split second, he apprised Nina’s form and smiled, “but you and I can get to know each other better, once he’s unwrapped his present.”

 

“No, you’ve got the wrong one, my sister is the dancer.” Maya pleaded; “She works for Spike not me.”

 

“Well where is she? Spike took my money and said that his best dancer would meet me here for a private show. And he described you perfectly.” Reed leered ogling her breasts.

 

“Maybe we should just go and find Spike.” Nina suggested moving to the door.

 

“No!” Reed shouted, “I don’t know what scam you hookers are running, but I’m warning you don’t fuck with me or my money.” To prove just how serious he was, Tony pulled out his 9mm hand gun. Anyone who knew him knew that he meant business once his hands were on that trigger.

 

“Tony, put the gun down. There’s no need for that.” Caleb reasoned. He knew his brother’s friend, was a hot head; and this situation was spiraling quickly. They weren’t thinking straight because they were high. “Everyone just calm down.”

 

Caleb’s heart sank to his toes when he locked eyes with Maya, earlier. Those soft warm brown orbs became so filled with fear upon recognizing him that she fainted in an instant. He and Pop both tried to awaken her but it was to no avail; causing Caleb to become a bit faint himself. Seeing her frightened face practically ripped his heart out of his chest. Knowing that he was the cause of such terror for her killed him.

 

Caleb reluctantly moved from the corner of the room and closer to the trembling Maya. They didn’t exchange words as he moved to stand in front of her; her breathing was strained as she inched away from him and farther on to the pool table.

 

Maya had to be alright; they both had to be alright.  Pop questioned Caleb about her reaction to him and asked if they knew each other. He didn’t know how to answer that question. Caleb wanted to tell his father the truth; but he just couldn’t. Not now.

 

********************

 

“Come on it’s your birthday man, we have to celebrate bro.” Reed nagged, “Besides, I’ve already have one hell of a night planned, so you’re just gonna have to suck it up. Tony is gonna hand too…”

 

“Nah, I’ll pass man.” Caleb dusted his hands onto his jeans and went back to his work table.

 

“Fuck! Are you serious? After doing 32 months in the clink, I thought that you would be stickin’ and movin’ all day long; what the hell has gotten into you? Did all that time inside make you soft and shit?”

 

 “I’m not in the mood; sorry bro.” Caleb really wasn’t in the mood; he had a lot of work to get done in the work room and he promised Pop that he would have all the custom orders completed on time.

 

 “What!! Are you shitting me? Not in the mood? Well I can change that, no problem.” Reaching for the baggie that was in his back pocket, Reed threw it to Caleb. The old Caleb would have thought this a godsend. Chex Mix. The baggy contained an array of pills guaranteed to put you into any frame of mind you wanted.

 

“I was serious about the no drugs and stuff. I’m done abusing my body…”

 

“Come on you’re no fun anymore; you haven’t been anywhere since you got home. Not to mention all that birthday pussy that’s waiting on you.” Reed couldn’t believe that Caleb was blowing him off; again he was determined though. It was Caleb’s birthday after all. They always got wild and crazy on their birthdays. The only time they didn’t was when either of them was behind bars.

 

This accident was bad and Caleb needed to do everything he could to help them; then he could face whatever was waiting for him. So instead of answering his father, he did the cowardly thing; he brushed off Pop’s question and went to the back of his truck, under the guise of looking for something. What he was looking for was a moment’s peace. His tears were there waiting for him. She was pregnant. Dear god, what did he do. He took in a deep breath. He had to get them out of that wreck.

 

“Man you were killing my buzz with your virgin act, so I dropped a few party favors in your drink.” Reed smirked.

 

“What…you did what?” Caleb screamed at his big brother, who he had a mind to choke out. But Reed only laughed at him and told him to calm down.

 

“Just relax. It was hardly anything; a little of this, a little of that…”

 

 

 

No, no, no; Caleb bemoaned in his head. He had worked too hard on his sobriety to have it taken away from him like this. How could Reed do this to him? “What exactly did you give me?”

 

“Fuck man it was just, only a few happy pills, a few get hard pills, some powdered sugar…”

 

*************

 

Two hours later he and Pop still sat waiting for an update on Maya and Dylan. Caleb was starting to get irritated, because no one was telling him anything; though earlier everyone was praising his heroism. Which he quickly waved off; he was just thankful that he had been passing that dark stretch of desolate road right after the collusion. But the EMT’s insisted that if it wasn’t for him keeping Maya calm and talking and then taking off the steering wheel, the outcome would probably be different.

 

Caleb couldn’t argue with that. It took efforts from the EMT’S, the Fire department, Tate and the other sheriffs, and Red Sampson with his super heavy duty chain saw to free Maya and Dylan from their tight confines.

 

Thinking back to the sight, that he and Pop came up on, had him agonizing over the dangers that Maya and Dylan faced. Caleb quickly closed his eyes hoping to escape the dark thoughts that began to plague his mind. He exhaled slowly; they had to be ok, they just had to be. He needed them both to live.

 

Caleb reached out to touch her arms and she impulsively pulled out of his reach. Pushing him away to no avail, she screamed when he pulled her towards his chest and buried his face into her neck. Pulling her shivering body closer to him, he whispered something into her ear.

 

“Fuck man, I know it’s your birthday and all, but I’m not paying for you to make out with her bro. she’s a pro and paid for; get to it already.” Reed teased.

 

“Dammit Reed, I can’t so this in front of an audience. Both of you get the hell out of here.” Caleb gnashed out staring into the glassy stoned eyes of his big brother.

 

“You’ve never been shy about that shit before?” Tony teased; referring to a few times in the past when they all engaged in some serious tag team action. 

 

 If he had the strength and if Tony wasn’t holding that gun, he would have punched his brother and his friend in the face. This was not how he wanted to be spending his birthday. Caleb was trying to think, but his brain was slowly turning into mush. He was now starting to feel the effects of those little pills Reed dropped into his drink earlier. God how could so many months of sobriety be lost in just a few short hours; how could he be so stupid as to go out with Reed and his friend.

 

“Both of you just get the fuck out.”

 

--------------------------------

 

He saw Nurse Vicki walk over to the nurse’s station. She had asked them to be seated and she would come over with an update. That was over 2 hours ago. Caleb couldn’t take it anymore. Not knowing what was happening with Maya and Dylan was driving him crazy.

 

“Nurse Vicki, please tell me something…I gotta know how they’re doing.”

 

Nurse Vicki looked to him with sympathetic eyes’ she’d never seen anyone who was so distraught over strangers that he’d rescue.

 

“I wish, I could tell you something, sweetie; but I can’t. We are still waiting for her emergency contact to get here. Touching his arm, she gave Caleb a sad smile. “I’m sorry.”

 

“Please, the baby? What about Dylan?” Caleb pleaded. “I need to know if he’s ok.”

 

“I wish I could tell you, but I can’t.”

 

 “Son…they can’t tell us that, we just have to wait and ask her family when they get here.” Ernest reminded softly. They had already asked two different nurses about both Dylan and Maya and received the same scripted answer.

 

“Please I want to know if he’s alive, please just tell me that…”

 

“I know that you rescued them and you are worried about their condition but I can only share that with Ms. Holliday’s next kin.”

 

“I’m his father…” Caleb blurted out, “I’m Dylan’s father.”

 

“Son, what in the hell are you doing?” Ernest asked, confused by his son’s outburst.

 

Nurse Vicki was equally confused and her eyes darted between father and son. “If this is a ploy to get information…”

 

“I’m his father, Maya and I were together once; seven months ago and I didn’t about him until tonight and please, just please tell me he’s ok.” Caleb’s quivering voice told the quick version of his connection with Maya and Dylan. It was quick because he didn’t want to get into the details at the moment.  

 

Ernest moved quickly to comfort his son. This stranger that they happened across alone in the dark, who was injured in a wreck was carrying Caleb’s baby? He needed to know more; but he bit his tongue. Instead he enveloped his son in his arms and began to recall earlier how determined Caleb was to save both Maya and the baby. It didn’t escape Ernest, the way his son had been affected by her and he had wondered if he knew her; he did ask him about it and remembered that Caleb had evaded his question, so he just let it go and didn’t say anything else about it. But thinking about it now, he realized that after Maya passed out, Caleb nearly risked injuring himself trying to get her out of the car.

 

Nurse Vicki couldn’t help but get teary eyed as she watched Caleb break down in front of her. “He’s a strong boy, we tried to slow him down, but he was determined to see daylight.”

 

“He’s ok then? Ernest asked; he doubted Caleb heard Nurse Vicki’s words.

 

“There were some complication; but he’ll be ok, sweetie. And he has your eyes.” Nurse Vicki whispered into his ears. “Dr. Hampton delivered him about an hour ago, but the team is still with him; he is on a respirator. His lungs are not fully developed yet, because he is early and a little underweight.”

 

Caleb felt tightness in his chest at the mention that Dylan was for the most part out of harm’s way. “Can I see him?” he was about to ask her another question when the emergency room door flew open and sudden hail storm named Nina burst in.

 

Demanding to know when Maya was, Nina, her friend was on a crusade to wake up the dead. Nurse Vicki promptly left Caleb and Ernest to diffuse the storm that was brewing into hurricane Nina. From what they could make out, it appeared that the newcomer was Maya’s next of kin. Caleb faintly recognized her face. But she must have recognized him because her movement slowed.

 

Locking eyes with Caleb. Nina stopped mid stride and immediately saw red. Caleb knew that he was in her line of fire and before he could run for cover, her fist connected with his eye.

 

“You’ve got some nerve to show your face here, mother fucker.” Nina yelled as she punched him in the face. She couldn’t believe it; after everything he put Maya through. He had the nerve to be here?

 

Nurse Vicki’s cries for her to stop were ignored as Nina continued to pummel Caleb with all the strength she could muster. Her tiny little hands wrapped around his neck, causing a stunned Caleb to gasp for air. It took the strength of a big burly orderly and Ernest to pull the little spit fire off of Caleb. Her tiny little fingers leaving crimson indents deep into his throat; where she was choking him once he fell to the floor.

 

“This is all you fault, you sick bastard.” She repeated still trying to injure Caleb.

 

“Stop that, stop that right now.” Nurse Vicki barked. As the orderly placed Nina back on her feet. “If you can’t act civilized in here, I will have to ask you to leave.”

 

“Oh hell no. I go and he stays? No. I’m not going anywhere.” Nina advised fixing her clothes and smoothing out her hair.

 

Walking over to where she dropped her purse, Nina picked it up and fixed it back on her shoulder. “Nurse Vicki if you don’t mind, can you please take me to see Maya. She needs to know that she is not alone and that she is safe and nothing or no one can hurt her.” Caleb knew that her comment was direct at him; but he didn’t bother to respond.

 

Pressing the up button for the elevator, she looked over her shoulder and shouted at Caleb, “I’m not done with you, you redneck piece of shit.”

 

Everyone in the waiting area stared at her with wide eyes and open mouths, as she calmly waited near the elevator bank for the doors to open; Nurse Vicki scurried over to her once the doors opened to escorted her to her injured friend.

 

Neither Caleb nor Ernest said anything to each other. Both still shocked at what had just happened.

 

----------------------------------------

 

Caleb walked up to the plate glass window of the nursery, much slower than he realized. He was scared. Too scared, to face the truth about that night. But he wouold have to face it in a minute. Dylan was the truth. He was so tiny.

 

He watched as the doctors and nurses worked on him. Occasionally they would smile and wave and give him thumbs up; letting him know that Dylan was ok. Caleb cried. He wasn’t sure if they were tears of relief or if he afraid for his son’s health. His son. That thought alone made him cried a little more.

 

What an expected surprise tonight. His son. Caleb had not been this emotional since the passing of his mother; but tonight his emotions were having their way with him. Watching his son right now, put his life in perspective and then realized what he needed to do.

 

He lost track of how long he stood and watch the medical team move around Dylan; all Caleb knew was that he never wanted him to be there alone. It wasn’t until Ernest tapped him on the shoulder to let him know that Nurse Vicki had some forms for him to sign and that he would stay with Dylan did Caleb feel comfortable enough to leave his son there.

 

--------------------------

 

After completing the forms, Ernest caught Caleb’s arm and insisted that they take a walk outside for some fresh air. Caleb knew that he probably wanted to talk about what happened inside but he wasn’t ready to.

 

“Listen son, I am just as worried about the young lady and her baby too; but do you know what the hell you are doing, by saying that it’s your baby and signing the birth certificate? You are obligating yourself to him until he is 18?”

 

Rubbing his hands down his now stubbled face, Caleb sighed. “Dad, Dylan is my son.”

 

“And that girl, why did she attack you?”

 

“Because Maya is her friend.”

 

“I see. And are you sure that Dylan is your son?”

 

“Yes, Pop; he is.” Caleb answered looking straight at his father.

 

Pop looked into Caleb’s bright blue eyes; much like his own. He would be the first to admit that his son was a lot of things, but one thing he knew for sure was that he wasn’t a liar. Even when the shit was bad, if he was the cause, Caleb never hesitated to own it. He knew that he telling the truth about the baby.

 

“When did this happen? How come you didn’t know about Dylan?”

 

“It happened on the night of my birthday. We never saw each other after that…” Caleb offered, choosing to omit most of the critical facts.

 

“So it was a one night stand? ‘Cause I mean you’ve never brought her to the house or mention going out on dates or anything like that? So why didn’t she tell you about Dylan?

 

This was too much. Caleb felt like he needed a drink or a taste. Everything was coming at him at warp speed. He needed something to calm his nerves. A quick hit could fix this.  He was going to be sick. He felt it. Caleb opened his mouth to try and answer his father’s questions, but the only thing that came out was a sob. His entire body began shaking and his knees started to get weak.

 

Startled by the emotional out bursts his line of questioning caused. Ernest immediately switched into his sensitive parent role and rushed to soothe his son. “Caleb, what’s wrong; what happened.”

 

“Oh god, dad. I messed up so big.” Taking in a breath Caleb rushed out, “I got high that night and Reed paid for strippers, as a birthday gift for me.” Though Ernest was disappointed that Caleb just admitted to getting high after pledging to leave his drug habit in the past, he knew that something bigger was at play here.  “Ok. So you guys went out got wild, you slept with a stripper, the condom broke and you got her pregnant? That’s ok we can deal with that.”

 

“No Dad...it didn’t happen like that…i didn’t mean to...”

 

“You didn’t mean to do what?” Pop spat out. The hairs on the back of his neck immediately jumped to attention. Caleb looked to the ground, took in a deep breath but didn’t answer the question.

 

By the way Caleb was shaking and averting his eyes. Ernest knew that there was more to this story than he wanted to hear. “What didn’t you mean to do, Caleb?” Grabbing him by his shirt, Ernest threw him against the side of the building. “Answer me boy!”

 

Caleb didn’t answer or get the chance to elaborate before Ernest pieced together the worst case scenario. He looked at his son, who wouldn’t look back at him; Caleb couldn’t meet his eyes. “For the love of the saints above, please tell me you didn’t?”

 

He didn’t respond to his father; Caleb’s mind had already drifted back to that night. “Please, I am not a stripper; please don’t do this…please.”

 

“Tell me you didn’t.” Ernest yelled; shaking Caleb from his thoughts.

 

“I wasn’t thinking, Reed slipped me…” Caleb breathed out through fresh tears.

 

“Reed? You know that you are not supposed to hang with him, if you are trying to stay sober Caleb.” Pop felt his eyes become moist with tears too. This couldn’t be happening. “Please...please, just tell me you didn’t do what I think you did?”

 

Caleb wanted to tell him no that he didn’t rape Maya. But he couldn’t. Instead he turned to face his father with red eyes and a wet face.

 

“Please, please don’t do this….” Maya begged.

 

Caleb avoided her eyes as she pleaded for him not to hurt her. Fuck. This wasn’t him, and he knew it. Shit this was whatever, Reed slipped him earlier. He looked over to his right and saw Reed still standing there with Tony and his gun. He knew this situation was beyond bad; but a drugged up Reed and Tony with a gun was even worse. Caleb shuddered as he thought about what his brother and his friend were capable of. And this scared beauty in front of him, certainly didn’t deserve to find out.

 

“I don’t want to hurt you…”

 

“You stupid shit!!” Pop bellowed right before landing a piercing blow into Caleb’s gut. The blow sent Caleb to the ground, where he simply sat and hung his head in shame. Ernest too angry to say anything walked off in the opposite direction.

 

He deserved to feel his father’s big hands cracking his ribs. He deserved to be hauled off again, to parts unknown to be taught a lesson. He deserved all of that and more. But what he didn’t deserve was that perfect little person upstairs; or his mother’s forgiveness. His father was right; he was a stupid shit and that was exactly what he felt like ever since that night. He now completely understood what Reed meant when he told him that he didn’t deserve Reece, his daughter or Casey her mother.

 

“Is this what your mother and I taught you, to go around assaulting women?” Ernest was ready to pounce on his youngest again; but stopped when he saw that a sniveling Caleb had sunk to the ground and stayed there.

 

“I’m sorry, Pop. I’m so so sorry…” Caleb cried over and over.

 

“Sorry? You damn right you are. But you need to be telling that little man in there fighting to breathe on his own just how sorry you are; not to mention his mother that terrified young lady in there. No wonder she screamed like some had just tossed hot grits on her legs when she saw you.” Pop slid into the vacant seat just outside the doors and cried into his hands. “How could you do something so…?”

 

“I…never wanted to hurt her Pop. I swear…”

 

“I’ve ignored your behavior in the past because I know that we’ve all had a hard time dealing with Mary’s death. I know I was doing a lousy job because both of my sons choose to exercise their demons with drugs and alcohol. But this…I could have never imagined this from either of you. Especially you Caleb…” Pop sobbed quietly.

 

Moments passed as each man was engaged in quiet contemplation.  Caleb couldn’t move, paralyzed by his own admission to his father. Ernest got up from his seat and stood in front of his son. He knew that Caleb was probably on the verge of a melt down and was probably trying to figure out where he could score some goodies. Ernest pushed that fear aside. No matter what, he would never raise his sons to think that it was ok to abuse women; in any way. They were lowliest of low in his opinion. He knew what he had to do. It would be the hardest thing that he would ever have to do as a parent; it would probably cause him his son, but that was a sacrifice he was willing to make.

 

 “I’m sorry son, but…as soon as we know that both Maya and Dylan are fine, I am turning your ass into Tate myself.”

 

Caleb looked up to his father through bleary eyes and whispered shakily, “You don’t have to Pop, I already did.”

End Notes:

Thank you for reading and please tell me what you think. I don't condone any type of abuse and I apologize if any reader is offended by this story.

This story is losely based on a family member's real life experience. It is not my intention to make this terrible occurence seem minor, but I hope to show how they got to a place of forgivenss and ultimately happiness.The couple live a normal life with their daughters and after talking with all parties about it, I was moved to write this story.

Again I apologize if this story offends anyone, but honestly that is not my intention.

Chapter 4-Maya by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

Hello Readers. the next two chapters are backgroud chapters on the characters. Please enjoy the read and tell me what you think. Thank you for the feedback, it helps.

One year prior

Chapter 1

MAYA

"Listen Jazz, we've been through this already. Gran left that money for us to use to better our lives and both make something of ourselves and not waste it on something as frivolous as a car or clothes or any other material thing that won't help secure our futures."

Maya tucked a stray lock of her dark brown hair behind her ears and rubbed her temples as she felt the beginnings of a headache creeping up. Closing her light brown eyes, she prayed for serenity and calm as she continued to reason with her baby sister Jasmine for the umpteenth time. But it was like talking to a brick wall.

Opening her eyes, Maya watched her sister moving frantically around the antiquated kitchen. Their grandmother Louise Stallworth who recently passed, following a long hard battle with heart and kidney problems left them a $50,000 insurance policy to help with their schooling and to help them get started with their adult lives.

Maya the older, at 25 had been attending school off and on for the past 3 years. Taking time off to care for gran and working to save up enough money to take care of the household needs and school.

But Jasmine's interests at 21, lay well beyond the confines of text books and final projects, college wasn't anywhere near her radar.   She wanted to be a dancer. A real dancer. Or maybe an actress. All she knew was that she wanted to be famous or better yet infamous and live the life that she thought saw fitting.

From the time Jasmine was six, everyone always praised her beauty and she loved it. She craved it. It became a serious issue when she hit her teenage years, when men clamored to be in her company. Some even went as far as offering to pay her to spend time with them. And that's when both Gran and Maya noticed a sudden change in her baby sister's attitude. She became a money hungry, manipulative bitch.

So it was of little surprised when the younger sister at 18 expressed that she had no thoughts of college. She didn't need it. Not when she could make a few hundred dollars each night that she decided to dance at the Lush Lounge or the Red Rooster. Her regulars made sure that she had several hundred reasons to dance every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights.

"Listen, you can do whatever you want with your share of the money, but I want my $25,000 in cash to spend it on whatever I want." Jazz tossed over her mid-back length, honey blonde highlights.

"It won't be that much." Maya clarified.

Stopping to look at her sister for the first time, since entering the kitchen, Jazz snidely asked, "And why the hell not?"

Jazz's fiery hazel eyes stood in contrast to Maya's soft brown pools; this was what it had come to. Though, Maya had become used to Jazz's verbal assaults, it still angered her that her sister could be so uncaring towards her.  Yes, she was the only one around and Jazz had no else to lash out on, but still that did not give her the right to be so downright cruel and spiteful.

Maya constantly reminded herself that Jazz's anger was probably a result of the frustration over their situation. Abandoned by their mother, no relationship with their supposed father, being raised by their grandmother and not having enough money to enjoy niceties or in some instances necessities, could make anyone a little bitchy. But still Jasmine had the ability to take it to the next level.

The look Jazz fired to her older sister, challenged Maya to find the right words in order to douse the flame that threaten to flare up into a scorching hot fire.

No one to be easily intimidated by Jazz's outbursts, Maya stoned her face and prepared for the shouting match that was sure to come. Jazz still had some growing up to do, she acted every bit the part of the spoiled selfish brat that she was.

"Hello, how do you think we were able to pay for the funeral, the back property taxes and...?" Maya bit out. But her sister cut her off before she could finish.

"You've got to be kidding me..." Jazz yelled smashing the plate she had just taken out of the cupboard, to the ground.

"What is the matter with you?"

"How much..."

"What?"

"How much..." Jazz gritted out in annoyance.

"After the cost of the service, paying all of gran's final medical bills, the taxes we'll each receive about $5,500."

"That's it?" Jasmine screeched.

"Yes..." Maya whispered.

"Shit...Shit, shit! I was going to use my money to finally get the hell out of here and move to DC." She Jazz yelled, kicking the cupboard near the dishwasher, causing it to fall to the floor.

"DC?" Maya was surprised and hurt by that bit of information. This was the first that she'd even heard about it. "When did you decide this?"

Jazz's eyes met her sister's, "What? You think you're the only one smart enough to make plans?" Staring at her sister, Jasmine's eyes became full of malice. "You think I shake my ass at that hole in the wall for kicks three times a week?"

"You do it because you want to." Maya tossed back.

"I do it so that I can get the hell out of this god forsaken wretched town. I hate this place..." Screaming at her sister, Jasmine was quickly getting irritated by the conversation.

"You don't have to dance, Jazz; I told you I could get you a job at the country club."

Jazz's lip curled up into a sneer, "Them good white folks sure got you trained. Why the hell would I want a job cleaning up their shit?"

"It's not like that...besides when did you decide that you wanted to leave home anyway?" Maya asked, feeling tears bubbling up to the surface.

"Home, you call this shit hole a home. Look around you Maya." Jazz ranted, "This house is falling down on our heads. How long has that blue tarp been on the roof? The pipes are so old, we can't even shower if one of us is washing the dishes. This place is a death trap and I am tired of suffocating in this house, in this town, in this life!"

Maya had to admit that Jasmine did have some valid points, the old Victorian had seen better days and she and Jensen planned on renovating it after their wedding. "Listen, I know that we need to..."

"No correction, you need to. You are the only person who still wants to be invested in this dump.  Sell it so that we can both move on to something better. Stop holding on the past..."

"What do you mean? This was our grandmother's house, our mother was raised here, and we were raised here."

"Are you serious? You want to play the nostalgia card? Are you forgetting that our crack whore of a mother dumped us here and never looked back?"

"She was not a whore..." Maya screamed as her tears threaten to spill.

Walking towards her sister, Jasmine took in a calming breath. She didn't want to have another argument with Maya over their mother. That shit was old. "Forgive me, Maya if I've hurt your feelings." Jazz soothed.

Rubbing her back, Jazz whispered, "I'm sorry, you're right, our mother wasn't a whore. Nadine wasn't smart enough to demand any money for services rendered. So that just made her stupid."

At her sister's cruel jest, Maya's tears did fall. She would let Jasmine have her say as usual and ignore her until she left.

"I know how much you like to think that all our mother did was dance in those clubs, but I think that we both know better." Jazz smirked, "Since it makes you feel better about yourself, you keep holding onto your distorted memory of who Nadine Stallworth was. But I on the other hand prefer to live in the real. I know who she was...she was a whore who slept with anyone who could pay for her next fix. And if you want to see her, I know where she is; her stage name is ‘Delight' and she is available for private parties."

Forgoing the breakfast that she made, Jazz grabbed her Chanel handbag and breezed out of the room. But not before tossing one of her glossy business cards at her sister. The card was covered in a semi-nude image of herself with a note that read, ‘What a Delight' and listed her phone number.

Seeing the card was still a shock to Maya and Jazz knew how it made her sister feel to see it. It reminded her of their earlier days, living with their mother in Atlanta. Maya often would have to help her take off one of her skimpy dancer costumes when Nadine was either too high or drunk to do it herself.

 Maya couldn't understand why Jasmine was so determined to use her past as an excuse for her behavior. She didn't need to be a stripper. Jasmine had real creative talent. Besides her dancing, which if she really wanted to she could easily become one of the hottest choreographers around, she was also a whiz with a sewing machine and needle and thread. She could ‘remix' your closet and design just about anything you could imagine. Jasmine just didn't believe that her talent was as good as everyone suggested.

"You're nothing like her, Jazz...." she whispered, but her sister was already out of the front door.

*******************************

JASMINE

Jasmine tore down the drive way in her 2009 silver Mazda Miata. A gift, from a loyal fan she had at the Red Rooster. The seedy gentlemen's club where she danced twice a week did have some perks, she thought as she cranked up her music.

She was tired of fighting with Maya. Maya. The smart one, the sensible one. The one who would make something of herself. The good one. Jasmine scoffed at that one. Naïve and gullible were the only two traits that she saw in her sister.

Jasmine's cell phone buzzed, she looked at the number and immediately answered.

"Hello handsome. I've missed you." She cooed into the phone.

It was one of her mature regulars, Eric. His calls took priority over everyone else's. And not because she just would be spending the week with him in Charleston next month. Or that she had spent a few days in playing with him in California last month, while he was there on business.

Typically older guys weren't her thing. But she had made an exception in his case; especially after he offered her a cool thousand to spend the night with him. She had received plenty offers in the past to sell her body, but she usually declined. She was a dancer but not a prostitute. She made that very clear to the club's patrons. But Eric was very insistent and sexy for a man his age. She found it hard to refuse him.

Jasmine didn't know why she accepted Eric's offer, that first time. Yes she did. She wanted the money. He offered her more money than anyone else had for her body and that made it easier for her to say yes to him. And from that day on, she was always paid for services rendered. She would never end up like Nadine. Never.

"So am I going to see you this weekend?" Jasmine asked already knowing the answer to that. Eric was damn near obsessed with her and she used it to her advantage. He would clear his calendar just to spend time with her and she would use him until she got bored or got a better offer. It was their little game and she intended to milk it for all it was worth.

***************************

MAYA

Maya continued to clean up after Jasmine stormed out of the kitchen. Her grandmother always said that she and Maya were complete opposites. She often thought that gran was referring to their looks, because she always said that, Maya was a classic beauty with her small features and quiet demeanor. While Jazz, was more of a dazzling beauty with her stunning eyes and radiant smile. She was easily the center of attention where ever she went and was as charming as she was cunning.

Maya laughed at that, as she recalled her grandmother's words. Maya now fully understood what gran was eluding too. Their personalities were as different as night and day.

Those around them found much pleasure in comparing the sisters to each other, much to Maya's annoyance.  Maya swore that if she wasn't so confident in herself, she could have easily developed self-esteem issues because of it. She knew that she wasn't a great beauty like her sister but everyone always referred to her as a pretty girl who could be gorgeous if she wanted to be. She suspected that those comments referred to her to her quiet personality and conservative dress.

She was the first to admit to being a wallflower and shying away from any sort of attention, while Jasmine on the other hand lived for it. In fact all of the kids in school often called the sisters beauty and the geek. Because Maya's face was always buried in a book, she rarely went to parties and didn't spend time with them hanging out, doing nothing.

Jasmine however was the life of the party. She loved to be seen everywhere and her dress...well. She and gran had many heated arguments over her style of dress. But Jasmine didn't care, she did what she wanted, everyone else's wishes and feelings be damned.

Sometimes she wished that she could be as brash as Jasmine. But Jensen was quick to reminder her that he was first attracted to her elegant manners and self-assurance and then her eyes. Her big beautiful brown eyes, that shone so bright yet they held so much sadness.

He told her after meeting her that he was going to make it his life's quest to remedy the cause and make her eyes twinkle in laughter. Maya let out a heavy sigh as she replayed the night she met him and smiled.

Jensen had brought some happiness into her life, though sadness seemed intent on hanging around. She was still having a hard time dealing with her grandmother's death and she was growing weary of Jasmine's attitude. She hoped that her sister would wake up and realize that, they weren't doomed to repeat their mother's mistakes. They had the power to create whatever life they wanted for themself.

Maya just wished that she could convince Jasmine of it. She looked over to the old fridge and the picture of her mother caught her eye. It had been 10 maybe 12 years since they last saw her. She knew that it bothered gran on her death bed, that they couldn't find her after all those years.

Gran finally told Maya the real reason why Nadine was so messed up. It was a simple yet hard thing. After all these years, Nadine was still suffering from a broken heart. She never got over the man she ran off to Atlanta to marry. She met him at school in her junior year of college. And they dated secretly for over a year, before he asked her to marry him. They were going to move to Atlanta so that he wouldn't have to deal with his family. But he never showed up at the courthouse and she never heard from him again. Gran said that she never knew the man's name, Nadine never said; but gran knew that he was a white man with money. Nadine never got over that hurt and turned to alcohol and drugs for comfort.

Maya ran her fingers over her mother's smiling face. It was a sad thing really, not knowing whether your mother was living or dead, hungry or fed, cold or warm. Maybe that was the reason why Jasmine was so angry all the time. She had a fear of the unknown.

Jasmine. Maya couldn't understand what was happening with her sister, but she also knew that they couldn't go on this way.  Of late, it seemed as if the only thing that she and Jazz did was argue. No matter how hard Maya fought, the tears fell on their own.

She was so tired of fighting Jasmine. The adorable little girl would hang on to her every word had been replaced by a money hungry, self-absorbed, rude bitch. Yes, their absent mother and unknown father or fathers could be to blame. But you could only cling to that for so long, before you decide to take ownership of your life, your destiny. Why couldn't Jazz get that? Why did she have to strip at that stupid club and get caught up with so many trifling men?

Her sobs grew louder in the empty room and she was surprised when she felt Jensen's arms around her shoulders.

"Shh...shh...." Soothing her as best as her could, given the circumstances. He hated to see Maya like this. And the cause was always the same. Jasmine.

"I'm sorry did I wake you."

"No, it's ok....."

"No you just got off a 48 hour shift. You must be exhausted." Kissing her temple, he assured her that he was fine. "Hey, what time is your class today? Let me make you some lunch, before you leave."

Maya tried to wave Jensen away but he wasn't going anywhere. She was lucky to have him in her life. She sat down at the old rickety kitchen table and surveyed the room as Jensen searched for pots and pans.

The tin tiles on the ceiling had seen better days. The old cabinetry was literally hanging on for dear life. The back staircase had more than one loose step, though Jensen had already replaced quite a few. Maya sighed.

If she and Jensen seriously wanted to live here in the old Victorian, then they had a lot of work to put into the house. Jensen had been a breath of fresh air into her stale existence and she was happy to now have someone to share her life with. She knew that her handsome fiancée who was more rocker, than young doctor could have any woman out there and the fact that he wanted to marry a shy quiet girl like her made her smile harder. Maybe Jasmine was right, maybe it was time to start off with something fresh with Jensen, she made a mental note to talk to him about possibly selling the house.

***********************

 "Maya! Maya!" Jasmine yelled from the kitchen door, with shopping bags in hand.

"Well good afternoon to you too, Brat."

Slipping her D&G sunglasses off her head, Jasmine ignored Jensen's sarcastic remark. "Where's Maya?"

"She isn't back from campus yet." Jensen offered, annoyed at Jasmine's self-absorb attitude and ear piercing yells for her sister.

"Oh and you are just being a good little pet, I see.  Taking care of things until she gets back?" Jazz asked pointing to the pots simmering on the stove.  Moving closer to Jensen she petted him on his head and laughed, "Such a good little doggie."

"Fuck you, Jasmine."

"I always knew you wanted to." Smiling wickedly at Jensen, she winked. "Any time lover... But just remember that I get paid first." 

"You know what, you're a real bitch. You know that?"

"So I've been told." Jazz replied, moving to the fridge to grab a Vitamin water. "But I guess that's better than being a cold frigid bitch like my sister."

"I am going to ignore you for Maya's sake. Because if it were up to me, I would wrap my hands around your neck and..."

"And what daddy, fuck me silly. Just the way I like it." Jasmine grinned and then bit her lip suggestively. "My sister is too soft to let you give it to her rough. But I can take it.  I bet she turns off all of the lights and keeps her clothes on doesn't she?" Jazz laughed, which caused Jensen to seethe in anger even more.

"If you weren't her sister, I would tell her to kick your ass out of her house and forget about you."

"Oh, little miss perfect Maya would never ever do that." Jazz laughed at the absurdity of Jensen's threat. "Family is way too important to her to ever consider doing that. Nope, I guess were just going to have to live as one big happy family."

"I think Maya would be happier if you weren't around."

"And I think that I would be happier, if you weren't around." Jasmine tossed back, "Why don't you let mommy and daddy marry you off to some ditz from the county club and leave my sister alone."

Jensen was truly pissed now. Who the hell did Jasmine think she was telling him these things?

"What is your problem Jasmine, I love Maya."

"You love Maya? Ha...you love what's between her dark thighs. I know your type. I meet them all the time at the club.

"Really, my type?" Jensen mocked.

"Yep, hungry white boys who only want to dip their wicks in chocolate, to say that they've done it."

"And that's who I am."

"Yep."

"Your logic is not only stupid, it's flawed.  I have dated many other black women before Maya and I did ask her to be my wife, remember."

"Oh yeah that..." Moving to where he stood, Jasmine considered his argument.

Tapping her finger on her chin, she smiled teasingly and then replied. "You know why you're marrying my sister? Because she's gullible. She is so happy that you that the young, handsome, rich doctor is even remotely interested in her, that she can't see you for the snake that you are."

"You picked Maya, because she'll be the perfect little wife for you. She'll never ever cheat on you. Never question you, never challenge you. She'll do everything you want her to. And you, well you'll be free to do everyone, you want to do."

"You are full of shit and you know nothing about Me, Maya or our relationship."

"Oh cut the bull shit, it's starting to stink up the kitchen." Just for kicks Jasmine got on her tip toes and licked Jensen's earlobe and slid her hands down chest to rest on his thighs,  in an effort to illicit some type of reaction from him, she squeezed them. Jensen tensed up at her touch but was too surprised, by her actions to react accordingly.

"I know who you are Jensen. I can see it in your eyes. You can only fight it for so long."

 Jensen pushed her wicked little hands off him and stormed out of the kitchen without uttering another word, to the sounds of her high pitch laughter.

Heading up the stairs to Maya's bedroom, he kept telling himself that it was wrong to hate anyone, but every day Jasmine made it easier and easier to do so.

Ever since the day Maya introduced them, he knew the day would come where he would hate to be in the same room as her, unfortunately he had hoped that that day would come much later.

From the moment they met he could tell that Jasmine held some animosity towards Maya. She was rude and selfish and he still couldn't understand how she could possibly be related to Maya or gran. They were two of the most loving giving people he'd ever met, but Jasmine was their polar opposite.

Jensen tried to be civil towards Jasmine for Maya's sake, but he was counting the days until they got married. Because, surprisingly Jasmine offered to move out of the house once they were wed.

He wanted to scream in delight, though he knew that Maya would miss having Jasmine around; even though her younger sibling didn't give her the respect or love that she deserved.

Maya didn't need Jasmine in her life, Jensen thought. It was crystal clear to him that, Jasmine only cared about one thing, Jasmine.

End Notes:

Thanks for reading and please take a min to write a review. Please forgive errors, typos, etc.

Chapter 5-Caleb by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

Thanks for reading...I know it's a slow build up but it will be worth it. At least I think so :-)

CALEB

Caleb exited the 15 feet high steel gates and couldn't help but smile as the sunshine heated his skin. He closed his eyes, inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. This was living. What more could a man ask for, fresh air, a gentle breeze and birds chirping in his ears. He really missed simple things like that.

"Fuck man, are you just gonna stand there like a pussy or do you wanna wait for them to invite you to stay longer?"

Caleb smiled and ran to hug the lanky guy smirking at him. Reed, who stood in stark contradiction to everyone's ideal of the traditional big brother, was truly happy to see his shadow, his baby brother finally released from prison.

Caleb couldn't ask for a better brother, he thought. Reed was leaning against a '72 Camaro that had seen better days. Cigarette dangling from his lips, he took a few steps to embrace Caleb. Reed had always been the cool older brother that he and his friends worshipped. He bought Caleb and his friends beer and cigarettes even though they were under age. He would kick anyone's ass if they messed with Caleb. He taught his baby brother how to drive in case he got so out of it Caleb could get them home. He took him to clubs that he was way too young for and he taught Caleb how to roll a joint properly. Reed even hooked him up with Callie Strube, she was a senior when he was just a sophomore; she introduced him to the pleasures of the female form and for that he would forever be grateful to Reed.

"Fuck you man..." Caleb greeted, happy that his big brother had insisted on picking him up once he was released.

"Shit what's up with that Army do? Damn, you lost weight and shit...." Reed observed, noting the short haircut and that his baby brother's plaid shirt was hanging a bit lose on his medium frame.

"You know how it is in there man, they don't feed you shit." Reed nodded in acknowledgement, he knew exactly what it was like in there.  He should. He'd been in there enough times.

It had been 32 months since Caleb wore his own clothes and the feeling of his blue jeans and steel toe boots was a refreshing change from his standard issue prison garbs.

"I missed you bro..." Reed smiled, pulling Caleb into a big hug and running his fingers through his shorn dusty blonde locks. "Fuck man...should I drop you off straight to boot camp or what?"

"Go fuck yourself." Caleb hugged in return, holding him tighter than he realized. "I missed you too, Reed."

The brother's stood staring at each other for a few minutes, genuinely happy to be back in each other's company. Caleb stared into the blank eyes of his brother, he was definitely using again. Reed's usually pale blue orbs were murky and almost grey.  Caleb sighed inside, Reed needed serious help. After all these years he was still heavily in denial. Caleb knew that he would have to bring it up again; they would have to save each other from that life. But not now, not today, Caleb wanted to enjoy his first day out.

"Please, if you love me, and missed me as much as you say you do. You gotta take me to get something to eat. I'm fuckin' starving man."

They both started laughing; Caleb wasn't a big guy, but he could sure eat like one.  "Sure thing, anything you want...." Reed grabbed the bag Caleb was carrying from his hand tossed it into the trunk.

"Umm...whose car is this?" Caleb asked, getting comfortable in the passenger side.

"It's my girl's....."

"Star bought a Camaro? Wow that is so out of character for her." Caleb thought, Casey or Star as she was called by Reed was much too girly to own a loud muscle car like this.

"I didn't say baby girl...shit head." Reed clarified but didn't meet his brother's eyes "Lacey...is my new girl..."

"Reed...." Caleb started but his brother cut him off.

"Don't start with that shit," Reed warned his baby brother. "You're starting to sound like Pop. Besides, Lacey is just for entertainment purposes."

"And Star?" Caleb questioned, slightly annoyed that Reed could so easily dismiss her.

"What about her?" Reed barked.

"What is she for? No matter what she says Reed, it's gotta hurt seeing you around town with so many different women. She loves you man..."

"I know." Reed replied softly; he knew how much he was hurting her but yet he still chose to selfishly ignore it. He allowed himself a moment to dwell on what could be for a moment. "She's dating someone."

"Wow..." Caleb was stunned by that bit of news. He looked over to Reed and watched as his brother lit another cigarette. He was still in love with Casey. "Are you ok with that. I mean...I know you still love her, right?"

"Doesn't matter..."was Reed's clipped response as he put the car in gear.

 "If still you love her and she still loves you, you'll find a way to make it work." Caleb offered, noticing that Reed had drifted off in thought.  

Caleb fastened his seat belt and didn't even bothered looking back at the steel cage that was his home for three years, as Reed pulled out of the parking lot of the Samuel Clay Correctional Facility. He promised himself on his last night there that he was never coming back.

Reed stared straight ahead and tried to ignore Caleb's last statement. But it sat heavy on his heart and toyed with his thoughts.

Make it work, how? What Reed really wanted to tell his brother was that he didn't know why Star loved him, she could do so much better than him. He was a piece of shit and he knew it and so did she. Reed knew that he certainly didn't deserve her time, her energy, her tears or her love and most of all, he truly didn't deserve their beautiful daughter Reece.

---------------------------------------------------

Caleb took in the scenery and observed what had changed in the nearly 3 years he had been locked up. He watched as the area became increasingly familiar, they were almost home. Reed caught him up on the latest around town, which took all of ten minutes. They drove in silence for a few miles before they cranked up the radio and took off down the open road.

-----------------------------------

Caleb glanced over at his brother, who was lighting yet another cigarette. He was definitely using. Reed only chained smoked when he was in between highs. He needed a fix. Watching Reed now had Caleb's stomach in knots. That was him, not so long ago.

He wanted to tell Reed that it didn't have to be like that. The constant push and pull. The feeling of utter hopelessness, feeling out of control all of the time. He decided that he could no longer be a witness to it. He couldn't watch his brother destroy himself and what was left of their family. He would have to help Reed get clean and sober. He loved his brother too much to bear witness to his self-destruction any longer. His rehab councilor told Caleb he had two choices when it came to Reed. Help him get sober or get him out of your life. The latter was not an option for Caleb.

For Caleb, Reed was everything that a kid could want in a big brother. They were each other's best friend and that was one of the main reasons that he knew it would be difficult to separate himself from Reed. But his rehab councilor reminded him that it was necessary if he wanted to remain clean and sober. He hoped that it would not come to that.  His life without Reed would be a hard one.

That thought, pained Caleb. Knowing that at some point he may very well have to turn his back on his own brother or worse, watch Reed continue to spiral out of control.

Caleb knew that Reed's drug binges had completely broken Casey and he knew that it could so the same for him. She had given up everything to be with him, but he just couldn't let go of the drugs to be with her.

Caleb knew deep down in his soul, despite all of his faults, that Reed loves both Casey and Reece with his whole heart. His brother just can't seem to find a way to give them the life that they deserved, the one that they want with him in it.

Caleb knew that Reed's inability to love Casey more than drugs, as she hoped, was due to the fact that he had yet to come to terms with their mother's death.

She never left a note and they never knew why? Reed was 13 and Caleb was 10 when Mary Manning decided one day that life was just not worth living and blew her brains out all over her bathroom floor. 

Caleb remembered rushing home to show his mother something that he'd done at school, only to stop short when he saw the flurry of activity around the lodge house. Reed was there to stop him from entering the house.

He never told him, but Caleb always felt that since Reed was the one who found her, that he couldn't shake the image of seeing her brains splattered about. They never talked about it, but Caleb knew that that pain that Reed carried eventually was the cause of his drug addiction. And Reed's addition slowly became his own.

But that was in the past, he was done with all of that. He wanted a fresh start, no more in and out of jail for him. He wanted what Reed seemed to so easily disregard. The love of a smart, beautiful woman and an adorable baby girl or boy.

He knew what he had to do. He needed to talk with Pop first.

---------------------------------

"I hope you're hungry cause I asked Miss Della to cook, everything on the menu for you." Reed advised, shaking Caleb from his thoughts.

A few minutes later, they were parking in front of "Della's Country Cooking."

Caleb knew that Reed probably didn't eat here as often as he did in the past because it was hard to come in and see Casey working.

She initially began working as a server, but Della soon gave Casey the job as her bookkeeper, after Della kept complaining that her place was in the kitchen cooking not worrying about whether the Coca-Cola guy got a check. So she offered Casey the job. She worked in the morning allowing her time to teach dance in the afternoon and go to school in the evening.

"Daddy!!!" Reece screamed, before Reed had both feet in the door.

"Is that my sweetie Reecey?" Caleb teased just as she was about to jump on Reed.

Screams filled the dinner as Reece zoomed past Reed and launched herself into the arms of her uncle Caleb. Caleb hugged her tight, not realizing how much he missed something as simple and sweet as a hug from his little niece. She had the day off from school and was ‘working' clearing table to earn tips for a new bike.

"I've missed you so much." She smiled at him and wrapped her tiny tan arms around his neck. "You're so big...what is Star feeding you?"

"Hot dogs." Reece replied and Caleb couldn't help but laugh at her honest response.

Before long there where choruses of welcome home, and stay out of trouble, you look thin and make something of yourself. Caleb took it in stride, it was a small town. This was probably all of the excitement that the residents would witness all day.

Caleb and Reed found an empty booth and Della herself came out of the kitchen to take their order.

"Well lookey here?" Caleb immediately rose to great Miss Della. "Long time no see that's for sure." She teased, patting his flat stomach.

"Hi Miss Della, I missed you too." He kissed her mocha cheek and was moved when he thought he saw tears in her eyes.

"Well, let that be the last time that you have to go without my cooking." She warned, he knew what she meant. She didn't have to say anything else. That was her way of telling him to stay out of trouble.

"Yes ma'am."

"Miss Maryann raised you better than that, right?"

"Yes ma'am. She did." Caleb replied looking at the floor.

"Good, so no more fighting. I hope you hungry ‘cause I been cooking everything you liked, ever since Reed told me you were coming home today, I've been over that hot stove. Is Pop coming too?"

"No ma'am he had to go to Warner Robbins for some parts." Reed answered.

"Okay well let me bring out everything..." Della kissed Caleb's cheek again and then headed back to the kitchen.

"So where's Star?" Caleb asked Reed, but was surprised when Reece spoke.

"She had to take Uncle Brian to work, because his truck is in the shop?" Reece answered for her father, as she played with Caleb's silverware.

Uncle Brian? Caleb mouthed to his brother over his niece's head; who the hell was Uncle Brian? Reed didn't respond he simply turned his head to look out of the window.

"Uncle Caleb?"

"Yes, honey."

"Are you going on vacation for a long time again?" startled by her question, his eyes flitted to Reed for help. Reed shrugged his shoulders and then sipped his sweet tea.

"Who told you that I went on a vacation?"

"My mama..."

"Oh...well Uncle Caleb has no plans for any more long vacations. Why?"

Reece turned around in his lap and smiled, "good, because I am having a birthday party and I want you to be there. I'm going to be 8."

Caleb smiled back at her, "Of course I'll be there. I don't ever want to miss another one of your birthdays."

"Good cause there is going to be a pony and everything."

"Really?"

"Yes, Uncle Brian said that I could have anything that I wanted."

"Ok seriously, who the hell is Uncle Brian?" Caleb asked his brother.

--------------------------------------

REED & CASEY

Before Reed could answer him, he looked up and saw Casey walking over to the table. She was still beautiful. Her thick dark tresses were out of its usual ponytail bondage and she was wearing a pink floral sundress and matching sandals. She smiled her shy half smile at him. And Reed willed himself to look away from her but he couldn't. He still loved her.

Why couldn't he give her what she wanted, he asked himself that a million times and had yet to come up with a good answer? Just as she reached the table, he turned his head away from her view and went back to looking over the town square.

Casey would be lying if she denied that Reed's actions didn't affect her because they did. Why was she still so hooked on him, even when he made it clear that he was no longer interested in her? Maybe it was guilt over their daughter or the loss of her family that kept her hanging on to him. She wasn't sure but she knew that nothing was going to change because Reed wasn't going to change. She had to let him go. She sighed inwardly and tried to mask the emotions that were slowly starting to take a toll on her.

"Welcome home Caleb." Casey beamed with all of the enthusiasm she could muster. She leaned over to kiss his cheek. "We missed you."

"I missed you guys too."

"Reed..."

"Hey baby girl, you ok?" Reed asked her, but still didn not look away from the window.

"I'm good." Was the only thing that Casey could utter.

"Star, Uncle Caleb said that he was coming to my party."

"He did? And what did I tell you about calling me Star?"

"Sorry mom..." Reece sassed snootily at Casey, rolling her eyes as well.

"Hey, you mind your manners when you are talking to your mama; you hear me?" Reed warned Reece sternly. "I don't ever want to hear or see that again. Ok?"

"Yes...daddy." Reece replied sheepishly and was almost in tears, "sorry mom."

Both Casey and Caleb were shocked at Reed's outburst. He rarely disciplined Reece. In fact he was the one who spoiled her so much, that it was as if Reece had no concept of the answer no. Turning back to look out of the window, Reed offered nothing more to the group.

Casey combed her fingers through Reece's dark brown curls and told her that it was ok. She was probably just as frighten as Casey was by Reed's admonishment. He had never so much as raised his voice to either of them. Her daughter looked up at her with wet eyes to make sure that he mama wasn't mad at her and Casey smiled at her to reassure her.

"Ok, who's ready to eat?" Della asked, as she placed the food items on the table. Thank god for Della. She was always there at the right time.

"You staying to have lunch with boys, honey?" Della asked Casey motioning to the empty seat next to Reed.

"No, I have some things to get done in the office." Casey rushed out, though she hoped that Reed would have asked her to stay. He continued eating his lunch and never gave her a glance. She looked over to Caleb who was watching them. He gave her a sad smile and patted the spot next to him and Reece. She smiled back at him and mouthed thanks, but turned on her heels and headed to her office.

Before she reached her office door, Casey watched as Reece continued to chat up Caleb while Reed ate in silence. Why couldn't she just let him go? That was easy, she still loved him.

-----------------------

Reed sat back and watched Reece eat Caleb's food off of his plate. Reece. She was perhaps the one good thing that he had done in his life so far. God and everyone else know how badly he screwed up Casey's life. Casey.

When she initially showed interest in him, he tried to warn her away from him. He tried to stay away from her. Reed knew himself well enough to know that she was too good for him and she would definitely want more than he would be willing to give. He was beyond guilty. Star had sacrificed everything to be with him. While he on the other hand, had given up very little in return.

Reed was every girl's bad boy dream and their father's worst nightmare. He was a tall, beautiful blonde, slightly muscular, covered in tattoos, chain smoking, Jack drinking, skirt chasing, brawl baiting rebel who was typically arrested on a Saturday night. It started in high school and very little changed, thereafter.

He met Casey back then, in his senior year. Sheriff Tate forced him to volunteer his time at the local Red Cross shelter in lieu of jail time, for something stupid he got himself into as usual. She was there volunteering too, only because they need the help.

When he first saw her, Reed thought that that she was a pretty little thing. Her almond colored complexion and expressive dark brown eyes called to him immediately. But it was her cute dimples that made an appearance each time she smiled that soften him the moment he saw them.

At lunch she came over to introduce herself to him, it was only right. Since they spent most of the morning of eye flirting with each other. Reed wanted to talk to her, but he was hesitant. Not because she was black, but because she looked young and was visibly an educated young woman. Not that he was stupid or couldn't hold a conversation. But there was something about the way she carried herself, with an air of confidence and refinement. He knew right away that she was special.

Her name was Casey, but everyone called her Star, on account of her amazing singing voice and dancing abilities. Reed learned that she was sixteen and had just won Miss Jr. Georgia and that she would probably be on her way to winning Miss South Georgia next year and hopefully that would put her in the running for Miss Georgia, which would lead to Miss USA.

Reed sat mesmerized by her beauty and her easy manor. He learned that she was the only daughter of Richard and Lucy Westall, and she had 3 older brothers. She grew up in a deeply religious household and that her singing secular songs and competing in pageants was only tolerated because it could help win scholarship money for college. She planned on attending NYU, where she would major in dance and theatre and one day she hoped to see her name in lights on Broadway. 

Reed sat in awe of the sixteen year old, who knew what she wanted to do with her life. When each day, it was a struggle for him to just get out of bed.  Casey gave him her phone number before he left. He put it in his pocket in front of her but then later trashed it. She was sweet and caring and didn't deserve to be corrupted by him.

------------------

A year later he ran into her, while buying supplies for Pop in Macon.  She was just as pretty as he remembered. She gave him hell for not calling her but he didn't care. He was just surprised that she remembered him.  She went into her purse and pulled out a ticket to the Miss South Georgia pageant and asked him if he would come to cheer her on. He was hesitant. He'd never been to anything like that, it wasn't his style. But when he looked into her eyes, to tell her that he couldn't, she smiled and before he knew what was happening, he was asking her what would be appropriate for him to wear to a beauty pageant.

-----------------------

Casey won Miss South Georgia that night and went on to win Miss Georgia. But her reign was short and she would never reach Las Vegas for Miss USA. Two months into her reign as Miss Georgia, she found out that she was pregnant with Reece.

She quietly resigned her crown and packed her things from her parent's house. Her father told her that her Jezebel ways had marred his family's good name and she was no longer welcomed in his home. It broke her heart to hear her father's words and to watch her mother stand by his side turning her back on her as well. It didn't matter though, she had Reed and he promised to take care of her and their baby.

---------------------------------------

Reed shook his thoughts away. That was in the past. He couldn't go back and change things. He couldn't go back and fix the mess he created, so he opted to do nothing. Ignore it. Ignore her at best as he could, hoping that she would just forget about what could be and move on.

*********************************

Opening her office door, she stepped inside the quiet space and screamed into hands. After 8 years, loving Reed was still driving her crazy. Casey grabbed a Kleenex of her desk and dabbed at her moisten eyes. An unexpected knock on the door, had her scrambling to dry her tears.

Della came in and wrapped a now sobbing Casey in her arms. "I'm sorry Della..." Casey cried. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's ok. We've all been there. Sometimes it just takes a little longer for others." Della knew that Casey was still very much in love with Reed, though she was now dating Brian.

"Della, I still love him, from the day I met him. My heart was his..."Casey cried. "And it hurts so much."

"I know it does..." Della soothed, hoping that Casey could eventually get over the hurt of loving someone who wasn't prepared to love her back.

 

 

End Notes:

Thank you for reading. More updates to come.

Chapter 6-My Life by kellyklue

Chapter 3


10 months earlier


Several weeks after his release, Caleb found himself still trying to adjust to being back at home in his own bed. Months of sleeping on something that wasn’t bigger than the bunk bed he used to have as a kid, did a number on his back.


So today, like yesterday, he found himself sleeping in later than usual; enjoying all of the comforts of home. It was a blessing to have this quiet time to himself, he thought. Being surrounded by other men with little privacy and the constant noise of the cell block gnawed at him each day he was in jail. He really didn’t miss that. The noise. Give him, crickets at night and chirping birds in the morning. He didn’t even mind an occasional rooster at sun-up. To him that was the best noise, that other stuff was maddening.


His future plans were still somewhat in the in air, but after being out of jail for the past few weeks, it was safe to say that revisiting his old life was not an option. That part of his life was over. He had to take advantage of being sober and out of jail. That constant chaos wasn’t life, that was death and he was never going back there.


Caleb adjusted his sheets on the bed and couldn’t decide if he was getting up now or sleeping in again. The sun had just cracked the sky and morning air was still crisp and clean. Caleb remained in bed staring up at the ceiling not sure what the day would bring.


He knew that he had to get busy doing something today, he had done nothing but lounge around for the past few weeks. But Caleb still wasn’t sure if wanted to go back to building log homes with Pop full time, concentrate on his organic farming, like he had planned to do all those years ago or focus on gift.


His gift. That was what everyone else called it. To him it was just simple woodworking. He made furniture or just about anything from wood. He didn’t learn it school, no one ever taught him. It just came to him as child and he would create pieces, whenever the mood struck. He never sketched anything. He would just conjure up something in his head, grab his tools and start working. His father always told him that his talent was much more than some fluke. It was his genius; that he should use to guide his life.


His life. Caleb rubbed his hands over his face and thought about what he wanted out of life. For Caleb it wasn’t that complicated. He wanted a quiet simple life. A life where Pop’s two worthless sons didn’t cause him so much stress and leave him short-handed on jobs or too old and stiff to complete a client’s home. One where his wife and children needed him there with them more than anything else and he in turn needed them just as much right back. A life where he got up every morning with purpose, and went to bed on a promise of building a better tomorrow for those he loved.


The knock on the door jarred him from his thoughts.


“Come in.”


“You still in bed boy…” Ernest eyed him with caution. Caleb had vowed to stay away from drugs, but as a father he couldn’t help but keep an eye out for the signs of a relapse.


“Yes, sir.” Caleb sat up a tossed the covers off his body. “I guess my back can’t get enough of my bed.”


“I understand. Well I’ll let you rest some more then.”


“No, wait. Did you want something?”


“No, not really. I just wanted to know if you had plans for today.” Pop was hoping that Caleb was ready to go back to work; he missed having him working at his side on the jobs.


“I have a meeting with Pastor Haynes at 3 o’clock about the church’s pantry, but that’s it.”


“Well I wasn’t sure if you wanted to sleep in, but if you’re up to it, I could certainly use your help on some projects we have going on.”


“Umm….Yeah, sure. I was just about to get up and find you. Is the site you’re working on local?”


“No. You don’t have to go out just if you don’t want to. If you just want to hang around here, we have another log cabin that just got started and the left field needs to be cut down. I just thought that you may be bored by now… so take your time….”


“No, No… that’s fine, I actually don’t mind jumping back into things....it’s…I still need to get my license back.” Caleb murmured, embarrassed that he had to remind his father of yet another episode in his former life.


It was suspended after his last DUI and then he was sent to jail, so there was no real reason to make sure that he had it. “So I can’t run back and forth between sites, until I make sure it has been reinstated...”


“Well, why don’t we take care of that this morning and go from there.”


“Thanks Pop” Caleb got up and grabbed a clean shirt out of a draw and a pair of jeans off of the floor, “In rehab, I learned that it is best to develop a daily routine that you can stick with. So there is no time like the present, to start right?”


Ernest nodded his head in agreement and was happy to see his youngest looking much better than he had the night he had been arrested for aggravated assault. He hoped that this time, Caleb would stick with being drug free.


“Where’s Reed working today?”


“Reed? How the hell should I know? You left with him yesterday. Did he even come home last night?” Ernest asked, surprised by Caleb’s question.


“I don’t know?” Caleb then remembered that Reed never came inside the house, last night. He only dropped him off at home and left. Reed wanted to go out drinking with him, even though Caleb had yet to take him up on any of his offers these past few weeks.


-------------------------------------------------


Caleb replayed the conversation that they had in truck right before Reed dropped him off.


“So you are really gonna try to do the virgin thing man?” Reed teased, pulling a fresh joint out of his pocket and offering it to Caleb.


Caleb shot a disbelieving look to his brother, as if to ask ‘are you insane?’ Reed merely shrugged off Caleb’s reaction and made sure that his smoke was rolled the way he liked it.


“I’m done man; I’ve abused this body enough.” Caleb waved it away and hoped that Reed didn’t plan on smoking that right now.


“I see… well let’s go get a beer at least.” Reed suggested, lighting the joint.


Shit, Caleb cursed inwardly. He couldn’t believe that Reed actual lit the smoke with him sitting right there. This was why he didn’t want to ride with Reed in the first place, he knew this could happen. He needed to check in with Tate, as a condition of his release and Pop was working a few miles away, so Reed offered to take him.


“No, I can’t no alcohol, either remember?” Caleb bit out. Reed was testing his patience.


Reed nearly choked on his puff. “Are you fucking serious?”


“I am very serious.” Caleb stuck his head out of the window; he didn’t want to get high from Reed’s contact smoke.


“If this is about a piss test, I can get you some clean stuff. No worries.” Reed offered exhaling his kush into the truck. Never again Caleb promised himself.


“No, this isn’t about that. It’s about me. I’m living clean from here on out. No drugs, no alcohol and maybe one day no sugar.” Shit. This was pissing him off. Reed knew that he couldn’t be around this stuff and it bothered Caleb that his brother didn’t care about that. “I want to live the rest of my life this way, sober and in control.”


“Well I guess one of us should.” Reed mumbled as he watched Caleb from the corner of his eye.


------------------------------------------------


“Does he do that often?” Caleb blurted out causing Pop looked at him in confusion. “I mean leave you to work on sites alone?” Caleb clarified.


“You know your brother better that I do.” Pop didn’t have to elaborate any further; Caleb knew what he was alluding to. “Do you really need me to answer that?”


“Reed, will show up to work, long enough to make money for his next fix.” Pop stated matter of factly. “I’m just about done with him.”


Caleb looked up at his father with sad eyes. Pop was tired too. It was in his eyes and etched on his face. His boys had caused him to age significantly before it was time. Looking at his father now was like a punch in the gut and it made him feel guiltier for everything that he did in the past.


Ernest must have sensed Caleb’s guilt; he reached out and put his arms on his son’s shoulders a small gesture of affection. No matter what he still loved his boys. “I hope that I don’t have that same problem out of you.”


Looking straight into his father’s eyes, Caleb declared, “No Pop, I swear I’m clean and want to stay that way.”


“I’ve heard that before.” Pop replied somberly, with his eyes still fixed on Caleb’s.


“I mean it this time dad. I don’t want that life any more. No more bull shittin’ around.”


“Good. Well go get breakfast and meet me outside in 30 minutes.”


-------------------------------------


Ernest left Caleb to get dressed and closed the door behind him. Standing in the hallway he exhaled the breath that he had been holding. Caleb had called him dad. He was serious. He was always Pop to his boys; whenever they called him dad, Ernest knew that he still had them. His Caleb was still in there somewhere. He thanked the heavens for giving him one of his sons back and prayed that Reed would not lost to him for much longer.


--------------------------------------


Caleb grabbed his t-shirt and pulled it over his head. Heading to the bathroom he stopped and looked at the picture that was on his dresser. It was the last picture that he had taken with his mother. It was a picture of him holding a bass and Maryann giving a thumbs up. It was the first one he’d caught all by himself, and she was so proud of him that she insisted that his fish was the only one that would be served for dinner. He smiled as he remembered that day, but it also made him sad. Was his mother’s life so terrible, that she couldn’t share her unhappiness with anyone? Her only resort was to kill herself?


Choosing not to dwell on that question today, Caleb gathered his clothes for the day but stopped to stare at his reflection in the mirror. He had gained back some weight and he also needed a haircut. His skin tone was now taking on its natural summer tan look as opposed to the pasty milky hue that he’d been sporting for months. He was getting healthier both physically and mentally and he wanted to keep it that way. This meant that he would have to confront Reed about his drug habit for the sake of his own sanity and their family.


*****************


Maya sat on the black micro suede sofa with her feet curled under a chenille throw, crossing off all the items that she had already taken care of on her wedding day to do list. She still couldn’t believe that in two short months, she would be Mrs. Jensen Perdue. She picked up the engagement pictures and started shuffling through them and started grinning like a silly school girl. She was that happy. Jensen made her that happy.


The couple met one evening at the country club where she worked. One of his buddies was hosing his wedding there. They met over a spilled drink and hit it off instantly. Both surprised to learn that they lived so close to each other. He was a primary care physician at South Georgia Regional Hospital and that was less than 20 miles from her home.


Maya had never really dated anyone before Jensen. A dinner here, coffee there but never was it anything special. But she knew that things with Jensen would be different, she felt it. And that was part of her hesitation in dating him at first. But Jensen was rather persistent, telling Maya that he was not going to stop asking her out, until she said yes. She did eventually and was glad that she agreed to go out with him. He was not what she was expecting of a blue blood of the southern country club tradition and that’s what endeared him to her all the more.


Jensen wore graphic tees and jeans, when he was working at the hospital, cereal and mac and cheese were his favorite food. He could recall every single Simpson’s episode and he loved music, all music period. He was probably the only doctor she’d met who would call in sick to attend a concert in Atlanta. He was funny and sweet and she enjoyed his company. The only time she felt nervous about dating him surfaced when it was time to meet his family.


The Perdue’s were an old Georgia family of doctors, lawyers and politicians and they couldn’t have been prouder of their Emory medical school graduate. When Jensen took Maya home to meet the family Perdue, they were greeted with mixed reactions but that didn’t deter Jensen. He loved her. That’s why there was no hesitation on his part when he felt it was time to pop the question. He knew that she was the best woman for him to spend the rest of his life with.


Maya on the other hand was surprised by his proposal. They had been dating for well over a year and talked about marriage in abstract but it was always something that she thought would happen eventually. Maya didn’t think that the timing was right. She still had so much to do before considering marriage. She needed to finish school, she had just lost gran and then there was her job situation at the country club and other plans.


She needed to find a more permanent work situation, because her internship at the country club was up. Maya was happy to go in and act as hostess, tour guide, and server, whatever was needed. She saw it as moving one step closer to realizing her dream of owning her own string of southern chic bed and breakfast inns. She believed that there was nothing sweeter than a heaping spoonful of southern charm and quaintness. And who knows maybe she would even move onto owning boutique hotels. The management team at the country club was so impressed with her professionalism and friendly demeanor with the patrons, that after her internship, they often called her in to work on holidays, private functions and some weekends; but she needed more than that once she began her life as Jensen’s wife.


She asked Jensen to delay their nuptials for another year. He refused, telling her that the timing couldn’t be better. His only regret was that they didn’t plan to do it sooner, so that gran was with them on their special day.


Maya smiled when he said those words. Jensen was thoughtful that way.


-----------------------------


Later that day Nina, Maya’s bestie came by to help with wedding plans. Nina was more than her best friend; she was the only real friend she had. Maya had always been too busy with other obligations to really take the time to meet new people and make friends; plus she was rather shy too. But Nina Malloy wasn’t having any of that. They met at the country club where Nina worked as a bartender. Nina considered her ‘remixed’. Her father was black and her mother was Puerto Rican. Nina considered herself a sistah with Latin swag. She was tall with a café-au-lait complexion and chestnut hair. She had an amazing smile and beautiful light brown eyes. She was a real fire cracker and proved to be a true friend to Maya; and she had come to rely on her more than she did Jasmine.


“Hola chica, I’m here, so let the final wedding preparation meeting commence. We are only what 8 weeks out?” Nina yelled waving a bottle of sparkling rose’ in the air.


Nina hugged her friend tightly and kissed both of her cheeks and gave her the grocery bags. Which were stuffed with ice cream, cookies, cakes and wine; everything that the girls would need to spend the rest of the day wrapped up in wedding plans.


“So we have a lot of ground to cover, head pieces, hair styles, shoes, make-up artist.” Nina called off from her list that she yanked out of her handbag.


“Wow, none of those things were on my list.” Maya laughed.


“Well, the maid of honor should remind you of all those things.” Nina gave the room a quick glance and noticed that they were a duo instead of a trio.


“So where is princess Jasmine?” Nina asked sarcastically, it was her nickname for her friend’s bitchy little sister.


“She had a commitment that she couldn’t break.” Maya repeated her sister’s response to Nina. She asked her about Jasmine whereabouts during an earlier call to her cell phone and that was her reply.


“Wait, you’ve got to be kidding me.” Nina screeched,


“That bitch is lucky that she’s your sister. I swear sometimes I want to cut that heffa with my blade.”


Maya laughed at her friend, “You sound just like Jensen.”


“I knew I liked that guy for a reason, is he on call?” Nina asked, grabbing plates for the meal.


“No. His bachelor party is this weekend, in Atlanta.” Maya rushed out, making sure that their dinner of grilled salmon steaks, confetti rice, corn salsa and summer vegetable pasta salad was still warm.


“Nice.”


“He went to school there and most of his buddies are still there so…he told me that we should have fun tonight and don’t think about you know who.”


“He’s right.”


Nina filled the glasses with the sparkling wine and sat down. She was in awe of the feast before her. Her friend was amazing in every aspect. Maya was truly a good person. She deserved every good thing that happening in her life. Nina watched as she packed up the third place setting that was placed on the table for Jasmine and it made her slightly irritated.


“Maya you’re such a sweet heart. I would be so done with that girl. But not you, why?” Maya sat down at the table and fixed a plate, but didn’t answer Nina’s question. She didn’t think that Nina could fully understand her relationship with her sister, because she was an only child.


Nina was still perplexed by Jasmine’s blow off of their planning meeting. “We planned this dinner weeks ago…what couldn’t wait until she was finished helping her sister plan her wedding?”


Maya looked to her friend, shrugged and smiled, “Your guess is as good as mine.”


Maya insisted that Nina fill up her plate and pour more wine, they would have their own party. The pair ate and chatted about the wedding, the new guy Nina was seeing and her classes at cosmetology school. Maya loved spending time with Nina. Their friendship was easy. She didn’t have to walk on egg shells or hold her tongue, like she normally did around Jasmine. This was the type of female bonding that she always wished that her sister friendship would grow into with Jazz. Maybe someday it would be just like this for them, Maya hoped.


********************************


 


Chapter 7-My Loves, my loss by kellyklue

Caleb stood outside the barn’s entrance. The grass and trees had grown up around the structure and he was sure if it was even safe to enter it. It had been a such long time since he’d even step foot in the space, that he wasn’t sure what he had hoped to gain by going in today.


Yes he did. He hoped to gain some sense of peace and calm and maybe reclaim some of his sanity. He hoped that some semblance of the Caleb that loved being in that building was stored somewhere in there with his tools and alongside all of the furniture that had yet to be completed.


People often told him that he wasn’t a craftsman, he was an artisan. His hand carved wood furniture had been in high demand, before he got caught up in the madness that surrounded him. He had a furniture gallery in Atlanta clamoring to carry his goods exclusively. He wasn’t ready for that then; he was too young and stupid to see the brightness of his future.


He looked at his hands, unsure if they could create that type of magic again. He broke his right wrist in that fight that landed him in the county jail for 32 months. Caleb was lucky and he knew it. He flexed his hands and wiggled his finger. What he did to that guy was no assault it was damn near murder. But in his defense, witnesses to the brawl all claimed that Caleb had been provoked by the victim. The judge, who was tired of seeing the Manning boys in his court room, sentenced him without even looking up from the paperwork in front of him.


But that was his life no more. One fueled by drugs and excessive drinking and causing trouble with Reed. While in prison he decided that he no longer wanted to be that out of control and reckless any more. He wanted more out of life; he needed more out of his life.


He didn’t want to wake up one day and realize that he was still lying in a hard bed in county, wearing stripes and didn’t accomplish anything with his life. Caleb had to constantly tell himself that. That was his old crazy life. Especially after now being home and forced to watch Reed’s self-destruction.


This was what he needed. His own private therapy. Caleb walked in his make shift studio. Pop had converted the old barn for his use. He ran his hands over the work tables and marveled that everything was just as he’d left it.


“I didn’t touch anything.” Pop said from the barn doors, startling his youngest. “I know how much you hate anyone messing with you tools and stuff.”


“Thanks Pop.” He tossed over his shoulder. “I have a lot of unfinished things here.”


Pop walked inside the studio and inspected the pieces that sat atop of the work tables.


“I wouldn’t call them unfinished son. They’re work in progress. Just like you.” Ernest walked over to Caleb and put his arm around his shoulders and kissed his youngest on top of his head. Something he had not done sine Caleb was probably 10. “I am so proud of the steps you’re taking, son.”


“Me too, dad.” Caleb replied and turned to hug his father.


 


****************************


“Ok so I’ve planned one banging weekend for us. First, an early dinner at Morton’s.” Jensen shot his friend a quizzical look, as if asking of all places why there.


Pushing another cocktail to his friend, Dr. Xavier Ruiz began mixing his own drink. “Dude, your dad insisted that if we were going to be out ‘carousing’ all night, then we needed to start out by enjoying the best steaks the city has to offer.”


Taking the seat next to his friend, Xavier or X as he was called by his ‘boys’, tasted the mix and was pleased with the concoction.


“Then it’s on to the Hawks/Lakers game, oh and since we have a suite, I’ve asked a couple of sweets to keep us company during the game.” Waggling his eyebrows mischievously, Jensen knew that Xavier had a long night planned for them.


He met X at a dorm party freshman year and they became each other’s shadow ever since that night. Medical school, residency roommates, travel buddies, they were party boys who took care of each other like brothers. Jensen called ‘X’ the X-man because he was a beast, when it came to partying. He was always the last man standing and no matter how shitfaced he got, he never missed a lecture. To this day Jensen couldn’t figure it out. X said that was party of his culture. His mother was afro-Cuban and his father Mexican, rum on one side and tequila on the other. He joked that he was born with a cocktail in each hand.


“After the game…well let’s just say desert, desert and more deserts. But pace yourself my friend, because we have to do this like three more times before you say I do.” Xavier warned as he answered a text message. “Chase is taking care of the one down south the week of and your dad is hosting a golf outing the day before.”


“Wow. Ok…all of that really isn’t necessary.”


“Isn’t necessary! Are you kidding me? You should have a pussy party every Friday until the wedding. Think about it Jensen. You are about to commit yourself to one pussy for the rest of your life. Life. Shit, you’re a doctor so you know that people are living longer and longer. Life…” Xavier started gargling and making choking noises to emphasize his point.


“Whatever you say X-man” Jensen rolled his eyes and laughed at his buddy. It was sad really, not only was this guy a doctor, but he was gaining a reputation of being one of the best pediatric surgeons in the south.


Xavier’s phone rang and he cursed when he read the number. That was also a possibility. Though he wasn’t on duty, he could still be called in to surgery.


Truth be told Jensen would have been happy with steaks at Morton’s and the Hawks vs. the Lakers game later on. He really didn’t care about this silly ritual that Xavier probably had planned. But the menfolk would probably riot if he attempted spoil their fun.


“So how many guys are hanging tonight?” Jensen asked, as Xavier rejoined him at the bar.


“Um, last count was 30...”


“30?” Jensen repeated in shock. He didn’t think he could name 30 guys who want to go out all night with them “30? Are you sure?”


“Well yeah, I am mean you have a ton of cousins, your brothers, our frat brothers, the guys from undergrad, med school and all the doctors who we did are residency with at Emory.”


“30?”


“Yep, 30.”


------------------------


5 beers, 6 shots and 2 long island ice teas later Jensen didn’t hate the bachelor weekend away as much as he had earlier. From their first freshman party it was clear that the X-man knew how to throw a party. And he didn’t hide the fact that he loved women, all women. So it came as no surprise to Jensen when, the limo van pulled up to ‘Chocolate City.’


Xavier quickly stood at the van’s door to give the already rowdy crowd their marching orders.


“Ok gents, we are here to help Jensen celebrate one of his last bachelor weekends. Now, for some of you Chocolate City may not be your thing, but it’s certainly his flavor; so please just indulge just a little.”


The men all broke out into fits of boisterous laughter as some ribbed Jensen about his love of all things chocolate.


“So I am going to encourage those of you who have yet to sample all of the flavors of the rainbow to keep both an open mind and an open wallet.”


More laughter filled the van.


“Seriously, we have the entire VIP floor to ourselves so let’s go house down Chocolate City with a whole lotta vanilla. And remember what happens at the bachelor party stays at the bachelor party. Who’s with me?”


The men all roared in agreement and Jensen could only shake his head at the manic display. No one would believe that most of these men where physicians, lawyers, accountants or worst professors.


--------------------


Jensen was surprised that the VIP area was divided into 4 separate rooms, each not only stocked with whatever high end spirit your palate desired, but also a bevy of beauties ready and willing to attend to your most personal whim.


The first area was a lounge where you could enjoy the show on the stage below. A ‘play room’ where most of his buddies were getting lap dance, among other things he was sure. A private pole room, where the dancer of your choice could slip and slip, spins and twirl on the pole until you were dizzy. They last room was the Ultra room and was used for private one on one entertain. The club owners were quick to point out that everything was above board, but the Ultra room was designed with celebrities in mind; as it had its own elevator that went straight down to the private garage below the building.


Beautiful women moved pleasingly from room to room; lavishing the men with attention, lap dances and in one case a much needed ear. Most of his friends had disappeared into the dimly lit rooms, even the ones who claimed that they had very little interest in chocolate, were nowhere to be found.


Standing in the door of the play room, he couldn’t help but stare in surprise at his older brother Chase, who was getting a lap dance from a gorgeous leggy caramel dancer. Jensen swore he saw his brother salivating at the stripper’s moves. She had one leg draped over his shoulder exposing her juicy fruit to his gaze. Jensen laughed, when he recalled Chase telling him that chocolate just didn’t do it for him; he smiled and surmised that perhaps caramel was more to his brother’s taste.


Leaning over the balcony looking at the dancer on the stage, Jensen watched the show for a while. There was a time when he would have had at least two dancers on his lap and two reserves. He hadn’t been to a strip club in a while and now Jensen remembered why. It only got him horned up and in the end he would be going home alone, so what was the point of it?


This just wasn’t his thing anymore, he guessed. Maybe he had finally matured? Or maybe it was the fact that he truly was in love with Maya. Being here now only had him missing her even more. He pulled out his phone to text her when Xavier quickly swiped it from his hands.


“Unless you’re about to take some shots of all this naked ass running around here you need to put that shit away.”


Pushing Jensen’s phone into his pocket, Xavier pointed out everything that was on display and was surprised to see that his friend just kept nursing his watery drink. Xavier whispered something to that very attractive cocoa glamazon standing next to him, who was combing her fingers though his wavy chestnut locks. She giggled, gave him a kiss and then sashayed over to the pole room.


“Man I can’t wait to climb that tree, dude she is 6’1” and I am 5’8”….you know what that means? I can bury my face it those fat tits standing up.” Mimicking the act, Xavier was in a fantasy world of his own.


Jensen didn’t respond, he only shook his head at his friend’s antics.


“Ok Bachelor numero uno, I got something for you man…” After getting them another drink, Xavier led Jensen to the Ultra room.


“X, man I’m cool.” Jensen argued waving off the glass Xavier was pushing into his hands. “I told you I’d come and play along but….” Pulling away from his buddy, he knew where this was going.


“What? You’re not even married yet and you’re dick has already gone limp. You know I can write a script for that right?”


“I can write my own damn scripts. Troll”


“So your dick is limp?”


“Fuck you.” Jensen laughed.


“You’re not my type; I like my studs studlier and not so waif like.” Xavier Winked and gave Jensen the once over.


“X!”


“Any who. She’s just your thing man. Petite but stacked and just the right shade.” Xavier winked. “Man, she has these fat titties, just the way you like them. Maya has fat tits right?”


“You’re an idiot, you know that right?” Jensen downed the cocktail against his better judgment and followed his friend to the Ultra room.


“In my defense…it’s that ass of hers, wait until you see it….it will drive you crazy. Oh and the tits did I tell you about the tits….” Xavier eyes were rolling around in head.


Jensen still stood in the door, unsure of his next step.


“Go at least say hello to the young lady, her name is Mocha and she is really sweet.” Xavier pushed his friend through the door. “Bro, go and enjoy your time with Mocha. She is only available by special request. So consider yourself lucky…it’s only costing me $500 for your lap dance.” Xavier laughed.


---------------------------


Jensen walked into the room and was surprised to see ‘Mocha’ standing near the bar topless. She was wearing nothing more than glittery stilettoes, a mini skirt, an ornate Mardi Gras mask that covered most of her face and a huge grin. He had to admit that she was his type. Petite but with a delicious body.


X was accurate on all accounts. Her breasts were truly a thing of beauty. Perfect and heavy half-moon shaped, with nipples that could almost pass for Hershey kisses. Her petite legs had great muscle tone and her tiny waste was accented with a navel piercing. He couldn’t see her ass from her current position but he was pretty sure that it would be as delectable as Xavier claimed.


Mocha didn’t wait for him to say anything in response. The fact that his eyes remained glued to her nakedness was all the encouragement that she needed. She moved to the light controls punched a few buttons and immediately the lights dimmed to near darkness and music began playing.


Jensen watched her movements but did not say a word. He was entranced.


“You can touch me anywhere you want to, except here.” Slowly lifting her gold lame ruffled mini skirt, Mocha revealed her smooth hairless snatch to Jensen and then gave it a soft squeeze. “Club rules….”


Jensen bit his bottom lip and he gulped audibly, as soon as he saw her puffiness. This was no good. For one, he was already drunk and he barely registered that ‘Mocha’ was speaking to him; he couldn’t shake the image of her pretty bare folds smiling at him. And second, he felt his dick stir when she cupped her snatch.


Motioning for Jensen to move to the sofa, Mocha quickly climbed into his lap once he was seated. Moving slowly to inch as close as possible as she could to his body, she smiled to herself as she felt the bulge in his pants grow with each heated movement.


Jensen closed his eyes in bliss, loving the feeling of Mocha’s ass moving in time to the music, on his lap. She was slowly causing Jensen’s defenses to fall. Her bare breasts were rubbing against his chest and though he was still wearing his shirt, the feeling of her tight nipples stabling his flesh caused his erection to stiffen more.


The sounds that escaped from his lips encouraged Mocha to give the lucky bachelor what she suspected he wanted. Slipping off of his lap so that she could lean her back into him while he played with breasts, was her first thought. But that quickly changed when she heard him groan as she stood up. Not looking back at him, she slipped off her tiny skirt to reveal her plush ass. She waited for him to touch it but he didn’t. Turning to look over her shoulder, she watched as he looked at her.


Jensen had enough sense to know that this was as far as things should go with the stripper. Getting a lap dance was one thing, but having Mocha give him a lap dance completely naked was quite another. Before he could think of what to say to her, she plunked her hot little ass back into his lap and began grinding on him, making sure that his stiffness was stabbing her hard.


Taking his hands that were resting on the cushions, Mocha brought them to roam all over her body. With his hands in hers, she brought them to her mouth and sucked his fingers as if they were her favorite cherry Popsicle on a hot summer’s day. When she felt as if she had teased his fingers enough, she placed the wet digits on her breasts urging his hands to knead and tease her mounds. Jensen pulling and twisting her nipples had Mocha sighing, whimpering and moving that delicious ass faster and harder in his lap.


Jensen knew that this was all kinds of wrong, but Mocha was working his dick like she owned it. It had been so long since….his thought died mid-stream as his mind suddenly went numb. He felt her right hand pushing his down lower over her body to grasp her thighs.


Damn, he felt it…his fingers had just grazed her wetness. Mocha quickly threw her thighs over Jensen’s, leaving her completely open and exposed to his probing. Though his face was buried in her neck and hair, his nose distinctly caught a whiff of her sweet aroma, causing him to grasp her left breasts harder.


He had to stop this. Drinks or no drinks this was wrong, this wasn’t him. Maya didn’t deserve this.


Attempting to lift his hands off of Mocha’s thighs, Jensen was shocked when he felt her petite fingers guide his to cup her dripping slit. Jensen groaned at the sticky contact and nearly came when she squeezed his hands tighter causing his middle finger to scrape her knot. The sexy little sound she made at the contact was his undoing. He couldn’t take it anymore and before he knew it, he was pushing his digits deeper into her hot tight well.


Jensen was finger fucking the stripper as if he had every right to and she was riding his hand as if it was his dick. Her moans and cries grew louder and Jensen knew what was coming, so he sped up his heated caress of her soaked slit. Feeling her walls constrict with his fingers buried deep inside her, he thumbed her clit as warm fluids began coating his fingers and hand. Watching Mocha’s orgasm had his balls heavy and ready to explode. He continued to lightly thumb her sensitive spot until her cries were nothing more than a soft whine.


Slipping his hands from her slippery heat, Jensen sunk deeper into the sofa, and then closed his eyes in shame. He had just cheated on his fiancée. But that wasn’t the worst of it. Not only had he enjoyed fooling around with Mocha, but now his dick was harder than it had ever been before. His body wanted more and she knew it.


As if reading his mind, Mocha stood up and turned to face him. Jensen didn’t meet her eyes. He couldn’t. He was so ashamed of himself. Reaching for the zipper on his pants, she leisurely unzipped it. Waiting for a reaction from him and not receiving one, Mocha unbuttoned his pants. Jensen didn’t say anything, nor did he try to stop her.


When he felt her small warm hands wrap around his dick and thumb the pre cum oozing from his slit, he moaned and thought that he would explode right then. But when she dropped to her knees and buried her face in his crotch, he felt his body shoot off the sofa at the contact. He was drowning in the sensations of her mouth working on his member and the situation was now out of his control.


***************


Jensen woke with a start and one hell of a headache. He lay in the unfamiliar bed trying to recall the events of the previous nights. He knew that he had too much to drink but surely that didn’t happen… Tears threaten to slide from his eyes as one memory in particular replayed over and over again. It had to be a dream, no correction a nightmare.


Hastily sitting up and seeking out his clothes, Jensen got out of bed. He spotted his jeans on the chair and slipped them on. He walked to the bathroom and couldn’t meet his reflection in the mirror. Grabbing his toothbrush off the counter, his hand brushed the sharp edges of the card that was propped up in front of the tumblers. His hand began shaking as he immediately recognized what it was. He read the note as his stomach began churning. Its contents seemed happy and ready to spill out onto the floor.


Flipping the card over, sure enough he was hit with the dreaded reality, it wasn’t a dream. Dropping to sit on the toilet, Jensen sat as his tears began to fall. He started to recall bits and pieces of their interlude in the Ultra room. And he vaguely remembered the heated exchange they had when she pulled off her mask, shortly after he had exploded in her mouth from the incredible blow job she gave him.


If that wasn’t bad enough, what happened after the club scared the shit out of him; she was one of the half dozen dancers invited back to Xavier’s penthouse for the after party. He didn’t need to think about much more; he clearly remembered that they spent the better part of the early morning, screwing each other’s brains out all over Xavier’s penthouse. Panic overwhelmed him as the enormity of the previous night’s events started to smother him.


Rushing from the bathroom, Jensen started yelling Xavier’s name. “X, I’ve fucked up so big man…”Jensen cried. “X, X…”


A sleepy Xavier stumbled into the living area not quite sure what all the noise was about. “Damn right you have, it’s not even noon yet and dude, I have company.” Xavier pointed down the hall way to the master bedroom in an attempt to quiet Jensen’s yells.


“No X, that stripper last night….”


“Yeah I know.” Xavier smirked, “You two seem to hit it off pretty well. I mean at least from what I could hear down on this end.”


“Oh shit, this is bad…”


“What? Bro, no worries. What happens at the bachelor party stays at the bachelor party right?”


“X!” Jensen yelled with his hands in his face.


Wiping the sleep from his face, Xavier finally looked at his friend. He finally noticed how agitated Jensen was. His friend’s eyes were wet with tears. Whatever it was, it was serious.


“What is it? What’s wrong?” Xavier’s grey eyes searched Jensen’s for a hint of what was causing his friend’s distress, but Jensen only shook his head and rubbed his temples.


Jensen suddenly remembered all of the things that they did in the Ultra room. He remembered the heated argument that they had, right before she dared him to be a man and take what he wanted. She wanted him and he was hard and ready. Against everything that believed in himself, ignoring the love he felt for Maya, he fucked that stripper right there against the wall of the strip club. With her legs dangling over his arms and begging for him to fuck her harder, Jensen did just that without much thought of repercussions.


Repercussions….will be of gigantic proportions once Maya finds out, Jensen thought. Raking his hands through his hair, attempting to calm his frazzled nerves Jensen took in a deep breath and slowly exhaled.


“What’s wrong?” Jensen mocked with red rimmed eyes, tossing the card to X.


Xavier caught the card and read the six little words that had the power to crush so many lives, ‘My sister is one lucky girl….’


“That stripper, Mocha…her real name is Jasmine and she is Maya’s sister.”


Plopping down on the nearest chair, the only thing that Xavier could offer his friend was an ‘oh shit.’


Chapter 8-Got to love me or leave me alone by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

Thanks for reading! This chapter is focused on Caleb and his family. Enjoy.

9 months prior

Caleb was just finishing up his lunch when Casey walked into Della’s. He waved her over and she happily sat down in the empty seat in front of him. He always enjoyed her company and often felt guilty about the way Reed treated her. From the day he met her, he regarded her as his sister, that’s why watching Reed walk all over her feelings hurt him as well.

“Look at you.” Casey beamed his way. “You look terrific Caleb. Keep doing what you’re doing.”

“I’m trying.” Was Caleb’s honest response. “And how are you Casey?”

Casey thought about that for half a second and then offered, “I’m good.”

Caleb looked at her and he could see the veiled attempt at forced happiness. He knew her better than to accept the fake smile on her face.

“But you could be better, right?” she smiled a weak smile at him. It always came to this, “Casey, You are an incredible person and I am so glad that my brother has you in his corner. But I hate to see you like this. I would much prefer to see you happy, really happy; even if that means, no Reed. I hate to be the one to say this, because I love him too, but, he’ll probably never be what you need him to be.”


She was still holding on to her silly teenaged fantasy of Reed. “I know,” Casey whispered softy. “Tell that to my heart.”


No matter what happened between her and Reed she could always confide in Caleb. They had become brother and sister almost instantly, when she moved into the lodge. He helped her with Reece without hesitation and he was always there with his shoulders or tissues whenever she needed it. Casey valued his opinions and sought his council on all things Reed. Today he was being honest with her, in the past he would have danced around the obvious, she needed to move on.


Casey sat back into the booth’s vinyl and sighed. “I have this wonderful new man in my life who wants to move on to the next step in our relationship and I can’t let go of the past. My brain is screaming that I give Brian a chance but my heart; my heart won’t let Reed go. I’ve tried so hard to forget about him but I just can’t.”


“I know how you feel. I love him too, but since I’ve been home these past few months, I’ve realized that I need to distance myself from him, at least until he cleans up. It’s hard, he’s my best friend.” Caleb offered; understanding exactly what Casey was feeling.


Reed had them both under his spell. “I keep waiting for the day when he says enough is enough and that he wants to get clean for good, for you and Reece and for him too. I hope that it would have happened by now, but... ”


“I guess Reed has made us both fools in love, huh?” Casey joked.


“Yeah, I guess so.” Caleb thought wistfully.


“Enough about Reed. What about you Caleb. You deserve to be happy too?” Casey reached for his hands for comfort. “In all of the years that I’ve known you, you’ve never really had anyone special in your life. Why is that?”


“I guess, I never really saw myself as anything special; so I never had a need to share my life with anyone else.”


“Are you kidding? You’re a great catch. You are sweet and caring. Children love you. You have your own business and if that isn’t enough just, one look into those baby blues of yours can melt any woman on the spot. There aren’t too many women I know would say no to you if you looked their way.”


Caleb stared at her blankly for half a second, then burst into a thunderous laugh at Casey’s words.


“I mean it, you’re gorgeous.” Caleb continued to laugh as Casey relayed all of the whisperings of his handsomeness by female onlookers whenever he was around. “I’m serious; all the women at church think so too. The ladies at the bank, Wal-Mart…”


“Really?” Caleb grinned, “I mean I know that I’m not an ogre or anything but gorgeous…” he shook his head in disbelief.


“It’s true. You’ve been describe as devastatingly beautiful, for a man.” Casey teased and smiled when she saw Caleb blush.


“Wow…ok.” was all Caleb could manage for a response.


“Caleb, despite all of your life’s obstacles, you are still the sweetest, most considerate person I know, you should be sharing your life with someone. You’ve taken on Reed’s problem as your own, but you don’t have to anymore, you deserve to have your own life and not worry about his struggles.”


Casey stopped herself. She didn’t want to talk about Reed anymore. And she certainly didn’t want to get emotional in front of him. Caleb had seen it enough times; and every time he told her if that’s what she needed to get over his brother, so be it. “Without your friendship, I don’t know where I would be right now. I just want you to have a happy life too…”


The one thing that Casey had come to value in the past years was the kindness that Ernest and Caleb showed her. They loved her; she had no doubts about that. And it pained them too, to watch her sunshine wither away waiting for Reed to come around. Caleb gave her hand a light squeeze and told her that he felt the same about her.


“Oh and don’t get me started on that voice…the ladies go nuts over it.” She joked, attempting to lighten both of their moods, “Which reminds me I need a partner for the Festival of Saints in a few weeks.”


“No, oh no…” Caleb protested, his church singing days were over.


“Come on Caleb, you are the best duet partner that I’ve ever sang with.”


“No. you can go pour all that sugar on someone else, you conned me into doing it that twice already...never again.”


Casey smiled; she was trying to butter him up. She always said that he had natural talent. “You have to admit, we did sound pretty amazing.”


He smiled, remembering that Sunday evening service. “Yes, we did.”


Caleb noticed the sparkle return to her eyes as she talked about signing and hoped that Casey could find a way to be truly happy, without Reed. Sitting there watching her it hit him. He wanted what Reed had. He wanted a family of his own. He sat and listened to Casey prattle on about Reece and her adventures and was comforted when her whole demeanor changed at the mention of her daughter.


“You should smile more, it looks great on you.”


“Thanks. I’ll smile all you want if you agree to sing with me at the festival.” She bargained in a sing song voice.


Caleb laughed, “You’re good. Just for you…I’ll think about it.”


Casey couldn't help but jump up and hug him over the table. They could both use a little joyful noise in their lives.


The pair sat and chatted for a while, each thinking that is was such a wonderful feeling to be able to sit and it have a light hearted conversation with someone else. It was well into the late afternoon before they parted company; but not before agreeing that they should check in with each other more often and if their schedules allowed, they would meet for either lunch or dinner.


*******************************


Casey put the last batch of cookies in the plastic containers and put the last set of cupcake in the refrigerator before turning off the kitchen lights. Dance classes ran later than usual, forcing her to stay up and finish the treats that Reece wanted to take to school tomorrow.


Setting the alarm, Casey’s hands brushed against the picture of Reed holding Reece right after her delivery. He was such a nervous dad that it was too cute for words. The nurses found it endearing and all rushed to give him a crash course on all things newborn. She smiled thinking back, how he instantly went into protector mode after that morning. She couldn’t help but smile at the picture, taken nearly 8 years ago. That moment seemed like a life time ago.


As Casey was walking to turn out the lights in the living room, another image caught her eye. The picture that was propped up next to a more recent picture of Reece was one that she had not seen in a very long time.


‘How did this get down here?’ Probably Ms. Nosey Rosy Reece she laughed to her herself. It was an old photo of her dressed to the nines as Miss Georgia. Crown, sash and at least 20 pounds lighter. That was her first and only official photo taken, before she resigned her crown and started her new life in this small town. She sighed as she remembered the night she was crowned. She was ready to take on the world. Little did she know how much her life was really about to change. Her life here wasn’t bad; it just wasn’t what she ever expected it to be.


For starters, she expected that she and Reed would have married, many years ago. He told her they could get married they day she moved in with him, but she wanted to wait until after Reece was born. In retrospect she had yet to decide if that in itself was a blessing or a curse. Because the Reed she interacted with now, was not the Reed she fell in love with and a marriage to him, would be nothing short of devastation. So why after eight years of hoping and wishing and constantly being disappointed by Reed, did she never pack up and move away? It was simple her heart wouldn’t allow her to give up on Reed.


She thought about what Caleb said earlier about finding happiness without Reed. He had some valid points. The years were rolling by and she was perpetually on hold waiting for him. Why?


Casey knew that there was nothing really keeping her here, in Perry County, she had full custody of their daughter, she had completed her degree and she had saved enough money to Atlanta or anywhere else with Reece and could do whatever she wanted. Brian pointed out much the same tonight and asked her to consider moving with him to Savannah, as his wife.


To say she was stunned by his proposal was an understatement; they had been friends for nearly four years but had only been dating for about 9 months. She felt that is was too soon for such a big step, especially considering that she loved Brian but she was not in love with him. She never hid that fact from him, Casey knew better than anyone how it felt to love someone who didn’t love you back. But Brian wasn’t deterred by her confession; he insisted that he had enough love in his heart for the both of them.


Those were the sweetest words she’d heard in a long time, and it had her thinking. Maybe it was time to move on from Reed and this place; and to finally share her life with someone who loved her. Yes, Reece would miss her daddy, papa and Uncle Caleb, but perhaps a new start in a new place with Brian would give Casey a chance at having true happiness. Besides, what was the point of pining away for a man who went out of his way to avoid her?


**************************


Caleb watched as Reed dragged the last of the timber to the staging area for transport. Pop still insisted that the cabins were mostly built at the lodge and then reassembled at the homeowner’s site. It was twice as much work to do so. But that was always the way EJ Manning Custom Builds did it. Reed told him that it was something Pop did because when he was first starting out he hated to be gone too long away from his family, working on a custom build. Reassembling a completed structure only took a few days to complete in comparison to a custom build on site which could take weeks or months. Family had always been important to both Pop and his mother and that’s why he still continued the practice today. It allowed his work crew to only be away from their family for a few days.


“Hey, need some help?” Caleb asked as he began stacking logs based on the color coding method they used.


“Yeah, sure.” Reed replied without looking to his brother.


Caleb tried to engage Reed is small talk in an attempt to get a feeling for his mood. He was treading lightly with his brother, but he needed to also speak his piece. He knew better than to think Reed would actually engage him in the conversation about his habit, but Caleb was hoping that he would at least listen to his concerns and that was all he could ask for, right now.


“I noticed that you didn’t come home last night again. Are you on, again?” Caleb asked, though he already knew the answer to his question.


“Not today, Caleb I’ve got a lot of shit on my mind and a lot of work to do.”


Reed fixed his gaze to wander over the lake behind Caleb. He wasn’t in the mood for this. He loved his brother dearly, but he didn’t want to hear about how he needed to get his shit together for the people he loved. He already knew that, he already wanted that. He just had difficulty getting there.


“Listen, just hear me out ok.”


“Fuck…you want to do this right now?” Reed yelled, “What do you want to say, Caleb? Tell me something that I haven’t heard already. ‘Cause I’ve heard it all before. ‘Put that stuff down’, ‘we love you’. ‘Your life doesn’t have to be this screwed up.’”


Reed continued to ramble as Caleb stood with his mouth agape. “What? Am I close? Listen I’m glad you got that shit outta your life...”


“Reed” Caleb shouted cutting his brother off in the middle of his tirade. “I’m not here to tell you what you should do with your life, but I am here to tell you that I can’t watch you destroy yourself anymore.”


Caleb watched his brother for some type of reaction, a change in facial expression, relaxed posture, a sound, anything. But Reed stood still staring at the lake and seemed to be unaware that his brother was still talking. Caleb wasn’t sure if Reed was still listening to him, but he knew that he couldn’t give up just yet.


“I have no idea what eats at you so much, that the only way that you can cope is by using. I don’t know what plagues your thoughts, because you’ve never shared it. But I can tell you, I’m here waiting on you to make the smart decision, the right decision for our family and I want to help you, just tell me what you need.”


At Caleb’s last statement, Reed did react to his brother’s words. He ran a hand over his stubbled face then turned to walk to the edge of the lake, where he sat down on the moist ground. He fished in his pocket for his cigarettes and quickly lit one. He didn’t want to think about this today.


“I need you to just leave me alone. I need everyone to just leave me alone. Can you do that?”


For Reed getting clean was much more than checking into rehab or working a 12 step program. He’d already done that, more than once. This was about finally finding the courage to face his demons and let go of the pain that had been griping his soul for as long as he could remember.


Caleb followed his brother and hoped that his words were reaching Reed. “You know I can’t do that. My concern is not only for you but it is also for Reece and Casey.”


He was right. At the mention of Casey and Reece’s names Reed shoulders slumped and he hung his head. Caleb was there by his side with his arm around his brother in an instant.


“I know how much you love them, bro; but you gotta see that fighting you for your love is draining Casey. It’s sucking the life out of her. And I know that you don’t want that. You’ve gotta beat this, not just for you. But for them too.”


********************************


Reed stared at the house that he bought for him and Casey two years after Reece was born. Sitting in his truck, Reed surveyed the neighborhood. The house was a quaint 3 bedroom bungalow that sat in the garden district of their quiet small town. It was an old historic home that he got for a steal with Pop’s help. He thought it that it would be the perfect house for Reece to grow up in, with its big back yard that was perfect to fill with every playground toy, gizmo and gadget he could find. After growing up on the lake, with trees and greenery, Reed knew that Reece would love an expanse space to run around and explore.


Though he knew that Casey and Reece would have preferred to be living at the lodge house with him, Pop and Caleb, like they did when Reece was first born, he thought it best that they have their own space.


In truth, he didn’t want Casey and Reece around when he was truly at his worst and she didn’t fight him on it. It broke her heart to see him so messed up and no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn’t let go of his habit. Not even for them.


The conversation between him and Caleb had been working overtime in his head. What Caleb said wasn’t new to his ears but the words pierce his soul just the same. He just needed some more time to straighten out his life.


Caleb asked him, how could he still want to hang around all of those skanky girls, he was always with, when he had such a wonderful person waiting for him at home. He wanted to tell his brother that being with those women was easy; they were interchangeable, he wasn’t vested in any of them. But his Star, was just that a star. A bright luminous point in his otherwise dark existence, leading him, guiding him to the life he wanted. Whether she realized it or not, knowing that she was there for him helped him get through many difficult days. For him, she was everything, yet he treated her like nothing. How was that possible? Reed didn’t want to explore it, every time he did, he hated himself even more.


Checking the time on his cell phone, Reed debated whether to call her or not. Call her and say what he asked himself as he sat in his truck that was parked one house over. He had developed this crazy little habit of driving past the house at night, sometimes stopping and watching for hours from his truck. It was just to make sure that Casey and Reece were safe at home; at least that’s what he kept telling himself.


10:15. He knew that Casey was probably still awake. Brian had dropped her off not that long ago. He wouldn’t admit it to anyone, but the fact that she was dating Brian bothered him. He didn’t have a right to feel that way, not after everything that he put her through; but still knowing that she was no longer his, left him feeling anxious and sad.


Our life wasn’t supposed to be like this. But what else what would it be like? Reed argued with himself. We were supposed to be married and happy. But she wanted to wait. Yes, but only until after Reece was born. Reece is almost 8. Why would she marry you now, when all you do is push her away? I don’t always push her away. No, you’re right. The few times when you aren’t stoned, you are at least polite to her. I just…I can’t let her and my daughter, see me like this. So stop it; stop hurting them. That sounded so easy to his ears, if only his will was as compliant.


************************


Caleb closed the door quietly knowing that any slight sound from the heavy pine doors would disturb Ernest. But to his surprise Pop was still sitting behind the desk in his home office. Files and spreadsheets where strewn everywhere and Pop was looking at his computer, scratching his head.


“Pop, what are you still doing up?”


“Still working on the stupid books. I have to meet with Leland for our quarterly meeting, in a few days. And he is one CPA who is a stickler for the rules.”


“I told you a long time ago that you needed help. It’s too much for you now. The business is much bigger than it was when you first started out, Pop. Hire someone to do that stuff.”


“I know, I need to. Casey usually helps me out but I hate to have her comer over when Reed…..”


“I know what you mean.” Caleb stated.


“Well let me at least try to help you.” Caleb grabbed the manila folders that were strewn about tried to make sense of his father’s system.


“Thanks, son.” Ernest replied, surprised that Caleb was just now heading to bed. “And why are you still up. It’s not like you be up after midnight.”


“I just started carving and I was on a roll. When it flows…”


Pop smiled at him in understanding, “Which reminds me, Julius Lindy wants to see your portfolio before he leaves on Friday.”


“What!” Caleb screamed. “Julius Lindy, the music guy?”


“Yes sir, the same one. Judging from the look on your face, I guess I forgot to tell you this, huh?”


“Yes, you did.”


Pop shrugged his shoulders and went back to his spreadsheet. “Apparently he is friends with Lyle Eshebrooke and saw some your pieces in one of Lyle’s mountain retreats and wants to commission several pieces for his lodge.”


Caleb’s thoughts were going a mile a minute about the possibility of designing for Julius Lindy. “Damn, I don’t have a portfolio.”


“Well you better put one together; he is coming down to see the work on his cabin, Friday morning.”


“I guess I need to call Casey and ask for her help with that too.” Caleb laughed to himself; he knew exactly what her help was going to cost him. He made a mental note to call Casey in the morning, but not before he ran down a list of songs that he would agree to sing with her, in his head.


“That would be smart,” Pop laughed, but his manner quickly changed to serious. “Caleb, this is a great opportunity for you. Don’t blow it.”


“I won’t.” Caleb promised sifting through another file.


*********************


Casey jumped at the sound that invaded her sleep. It sounded like steps coming down the hallway; she opened her eyes, slightly alarmed and was surprised to see him sitting in the chair next to bed.


“Reed? What are you doing here?”


Reed didn’t answer her; he sat and stared at her reclined form. Without saying a word, he pulled off his shirt and crawled into bed next to her. Planting a soft tentative kiss on her lips, he murmured into the darkness, “I…I miss you.”


Casey didn’t move. She was in shock, it was dark and she couldn’t tell if Reed was high or not. “How did you get in?”


“My key.” The key that you may have used twice in 5 years? Casey wanted to ask him but didn’t. “You never use that key, you always knock on the door; like everyone else.”


“I didn’t want to wake Reece up.”


“And the alarm code?”


“The day we met.” Reed wasn’t high, he was very aware of what he was doing. She had never given him the alarm code. He propped himself on one arm and ran his hands down Casey’s body.


“Don’t…don’t do that.”


“Why?”


“Just don’t...ok”


“Are you sleeping with him?”


“What?”


“That clown Brian, are you sleeping with him.” Reed asked, his eyes never leaving hers. He desperately needed to hear the truth.


“That isn’t any of your business…” Casey countered, surprised by his question.


“Not my business….everything about you is my business, Star.” Reed shouted, forgetting that it was so late and their daughter was in the next room asleep.


“Ssh, before you wake Reece up…”


“Answer me…”


“You really shouldn’t be in here.” Casey evaded, “If she wakes up and sees you here it will send her the wrong message.”


“What wrong message? That her parents love each other?” Reed asked pulling Casey closer to him.


Kissing Casey’s neck, Reed nudged her legs wider. “Reed…”Casey warned, when she felt his fingers caress the inside of her thighs.


“Damn it Star…why? Why do you do this to me? Why do you make me so crazy, baby?”


“Me?” Casey wanted to scream as she sat up, pushing Reed off her body. She blew out a breath in frustration.


“How can you say that to me, after everything that you’ve put me through?” Casey reminded, “You have some nerve…get out.”


“Why are you torturing me, baby? I hate seeing you with him.” Casey stopped fighting his movements and stilled to look into Reed’s eyes. Was he out of it? No. He wasn’t high, he was serious.


“And I hate seeing you with your cheap sluts, but that has never stopped you. Not once.” Casey replied, wishing her tears away.


Reed eased his body on top of Casey, kissing the tracks of tears that rolled down her cheeks. “Look at me Star, there is no one else for me except you, no one.”


Casey wanted to tell him to stop, just go away, leave her alone and stop tormenting her. She knew her limits and it would be hard to stop Reed from lighting the flame that she was so sure had burned out between them years ago.


“I lose my mind thinking about him holding you and kissing. When all I want to do is to hold you and kiss you, myself.” Reed’s lips hovered over her face, moving closer to her, he began kissing around her jawline and ear. “It drives me crazy, when I see you with him.”


“Don’t Reed. Don’t tease me like this….why are you here?” she asked swatting his hands away from her face.


“I miss us, Star.” Reed replied simply as his lips descended on hers, covering her mouth in a thousand kisses.


His warm body crushed into of hers and she readily accepted his long overdue tenderness. Against her better judgment, Casey relaxed into his warmth and was hypnotized by the look in his pale blue eyes. This was her Reed; the one who held her as she cried over the positive results of her pregnancy tests and pledged his love and support forever. This was the man she had been waiting on all these years. Had been? Then it hit her.


“Reed we can’t do this, Brian...”


Reed wasn’t hearing her. He swallowed her words with his lips, as he began kissing her full lips and teasing her tongue with his. “Forget about him Casey.”


Casey moaned as she felt his mouth and tongue massaging hers. He was dominating her, owning her and after years of wishing for just that, her body quickly yielded to Reed’s touch. She felt his long slender fingers brush against her already moist center and before she could stop his roaming hands, she was lost to all the sensations he was producing. But just as quickly as she was lost in the moment, she suddenly found herself pulling away and attempting to push Reed off of her.


“Stop! He, he asked me to marry him…he wants Reece and I to move to Savannah with him. I, I told him that I would think about it, but I am going to tell him, yes.”


Reed stilled his movements and stared into her wet eyes. She was crying and so was he, on the inside. Star had no idea the hell that she had just ushered him into by revealing that Brian wanted to marry her. It hurt him. But in a way he deserved it. It was his payback for everything that he put her through. He could never find the words to tell her what she and Reece meant to him. But worse he couldn’t stop using, long enough to show her.


He pulled her face forward and kissed her; really kissed her. The way he did, when they were younger. Reed hated to see the sadness and hurt that lingered in her beautiful brown eyes, knowing that he was the source of such pain. Why couldn’t he love her and make her happy the way they both wanted him to? Reed held her tightly and fought his own aching feelings, as he felt her wet face lodged into his neck. He let her have her cry for what seemed like an eternity, but was no longer than a few minutes. He couldn’t accept her marrying someone else or his family moving away; he couldn’t take that.


“I love you Star, please don’t…leave me baby.” He blurted out, surprising them both. Reed had not told Casey he loved her in a long time.


“Reed…I…”


“Please, don’t leave me, Star. I promise, I’ll do better.” Reed cried. Casey was shocked to see the tears in his eyes. He cared, his tears told her so. Reed was never emotional and she didn’t know how to respond to it. His soft kisses landed all over her neck and face and the sensations of their feathered touch sent a shiver though her body.


“Don’t go, if you and Reece left me…I’ll just die.” Reed confessed, looking into her eyes.


“Don’t talk like that.” A scared Casey sobbed, as she stared back at Reed.


“I know I will. You’re the only reasons why I haven’t killed myself, yet.” Casey was so shocked to see the pain that was in his eyes, and to hear the agony in his words; it frightened her.


“Oh god Reed, don’t say that…” Casey cried, feeling the sobs moving through his body. “Don’t even think that.” She begged, pulling him closer to her.


“It’s true baby, if you and Reece leave me…”


‘We won’t…” Casey cut off. “I promise you, we won’t leave you.” She kissed his wet face and held him close to her heart. They held each other that way for the rest of the night without further words and only their tears exchanged between them.


--------------


Reed didn’t sleep. When he wasn’t in bed holding Casey close to him, he was watching Reece sleep. When Casey told him that that other man wanted to take his place in their lives, the possessiveness he felt over his girls nearly overpowered his good sense. There was no way he was going to let some other man claim his family.


His feelings for Casey had always scared him; and as scared as her was over those feelings, his hope to be her great love again somehow trumped it. With the dawn of a new day, he knew that he had to make the right decisions that would keep his family here with him. He wouldn’t last another day without them, not anymore.


------------------------

As her body eased awake, Casey’s eyes fluttered open as she searched the room for Reed. She ran her and over the empty space next to her finding that the sheets were cool; which meant he’d left some time ago.

Her heart sank as she pulled the sheet higher to cover her trembling body. Burning tears of frustration hovered on her eye lids and she willed them away. Why did she have to be so weak when it came to Reed? No more. She would be weak for him no more.


End Notes:

Tell me what you think. Please forgive all errors and typos. Have a great weekend!

Chapter 9 - Where do broken hearts go? by kellyklue
Author's Notes:

Happy 4th! I know that I'm early but I love holidays :-). Thank you all so much for reading anc commenting, it helps.

This is a Maya chapter and I hope you enjoy reading it,

 

Maya clasped her pink pearl earrings to her ears and studied her profile yet again. She wanted to look perfect today; she would be on display as the soon to be Mrs. Purdue. She couldn’t help but smile, she was ecstatic. The wedding day was mere weeks away and now she was starting to feel like a bride. 

Today was just the beginning of her life as a Perdue and she was both joyful and nervous. Her bridal shower was going to be held in the magnolia gardens at the Perdue family home, Red Oak Hall. It was everything that an old antebellum mansion was supposed to be and even included the requisite southern belle; Jensen’s mother, Vivian. A household staff, useless rooms that were in keeping with the traditional southern family lifestyle, gardens and antiques that had been in the family for generations.

Maya was on pins and needles when she first met Jensen’s parents. His father, Jasper immediately hugged her and welcomed her into the family. Vivian on the other hand, grilled her like a steak. Jensen assured her that her bark was much worse than her bite and he was right. Within in a few hours of their meeting the ladies were chitchatting it up like old friends and making lunch dates.

Even though Vivian could be a bit over bearing, Maya didn’t mind it. Vivian made no secrets when it came to telling anyone who would listen, that she always wanted a daughter. She loved her four boys dearly, but she always wanted to go shopping with her daughter, have tea with her daughter, spoil her daughter and since Maya didn’t have a mother herself, to do those things for her, their relationship fell into place and seemed to work for both ladies.

Smoothing her hands down her ankle length silk pink floral wrap dress, Maya smiled and felt confident that Vivian would approve of it. The lady was the epitome of southern chic and Maya secretly took cues from her style portfolio. Though she didn’t have much money to spend on clothes, she did splurge on this one purchase. Last week, Vivian offered to take her shopping for today, but Maya declined; telling Vivian that she could spoil her new daughter in law after the wedding. Vivian squealed in delight at the compromise and went back to advising on floral arrangements and cakes for the wedding.

Maya smiled as she thought about her soon to be mother in law, taking care of all the details of the day. To some it would seem that Vivian was taking over the affair, because as president of the Women’s League of South Georgia, she had an image to maintain and hosting the shower anywhere else would have seem gauche. But Maya knew better, Vivian was simply excited about the wedding as was she.

She looked back into the mirror to check her reflection one more time and was surprised to see Jensen standing there watching her. She was lovely he thought. And she deserves better.

“What do you think? Is it too much?” she asked nervously, smoothing out invisible wrinkles.

“It’s perfect. You’re perfect. Mom is going to be so jealous.” He teased.

She laughed and walked over to him, giving him a quick kiss.

Jensen kissed her back but felt sick to his stomach. Living with his betrayal for the past few weeks had him twisted in knots. He had to come clean about what happened in Atlanta with Jasmine. Maya deserved better than both of them.

Sighing inwardly, he thought about what was at risk. Telling her the truth would hurt her. But living with the lie was hurting them both.

Jensen sat on the bed and was half listening to her talk about the day’s event. He watched Maya as she dabbed on perfume and touched up her lipstick, she truly was everything he wanted in his life partner; beautiful, smart, loving and supportive. How could he be so stupid to risk losing her over a few quickies with Jasmine? Every time he thought about it, it made him sick.

He had to tell her. But coming clean now would mean losing Maya. He knew that, he felt it. And he just couldn’t face that right now; not with their wedding less than a month away and especially since he still wanted her to be his wife.

“Hey, what’s the matter?” Maya asked with concern.

Jensen was so lost in his thoughts that he did realize she had asked him a question. He was sweating and his hands were shaking.

“Still not feeling any better?”

“I…I…Maya…I need to...” Tell her, she deserves to know the truth.

“What is it?” Nothing, just a little guilty conscious. That’s all.

Looking into her warm brown eyes nearly broke him. “Do you need more ginger ale?” she asked ushering him to lie back on the pillows.

“No; I think I just need to lie down for a bit, I’m still not feeling 100%.” Coward.

“Ok, well just take it easy. I’ll just sit with you for a few minutes, until you feel better.” Maya moved to sit next to him, but he stopped her.

“No! Go…my mom would kill me if she knew that you were late to your bridal shower because I had a tummy ache.” He half laughed and so did she. She is going to hate me and rightfully so.

Maya bent down to kiss his forehead and it was surprisingly heated.

“You do feel a little warm, should I call a doctor?” she joked. They both laughed and Jensen mustered enough energy to throw one of the decorative pillows off of the bed at her. I love you so much, how could I be so stupid.

“I’ll be fine in a few; I think I just need some rest. All of these double shifts have been running me ragged.” That and lying to you.

“Ok, well get a nap, but remember that your mother expects you to show by 6pm; so that we can thank everyone properly. Nina is on her way to pick me up, so I’ll be downs stairs for a few more minutes, if you need anything.” Maya walked over to the dresser and picked up her clutch and sunglasses.

“Jasmine left already, so the house should be quiet.” She teased, but he didn’t laugh back.

“Are you sure you’re ok?”

“I’m fine. You look beautiful wife,” Jensen smiled. “I love you,”

“And I love you too. Hope you feel better.”

Jensen nodded as Maya closed the bedroom door. He sighed heavily into the room and fought the tears that hovered. Their wedding date was fast approaching and there was no way he could fix this. He had no choice; it was eating away at him. He had to tell her soon and he had to do it, before Jasmine did.

**************************

Mrs. Purdue thought of everything for the shower and she loved Maya’s ankle length floral wrap dress. Maya was more impressed with Vivian’s dress herself. A yellow sundress with handmade satin daisies for pockets was so en vogue for a summer soiree. The color complimented Vivian’s sun kissed skin, wheat colored hair and cool azure eyes. Her soon to be mother in law was always impeccably dressed and was ever the gracious hostess.

Vivian was a true social butterfly and she made sure that all of their guests, who were mostly her guests, were well attended to and felt welcomed. Maya had only a few friends to speak of, some ladies from church, her job at the country club and a few classmates made up her list of invitees. Nonetheless all of the ladies, mingled, played games and had a great time. Even Jasmine was there, smiling and fulfilling her maid of honor duties and generally being pleasant to everyone; surprising both Maya and Nina.

But the highlight of the affair came at the end the evening when Maya and Jensen exchanged gifts. When Jensen presented her with the shiny silver envelope, Maya couldn’t imagine what it could be. But when she opened it up and read the certificate she jumped into his arms and kissed him. It was a certificate for a week at the Serena Williams Fantasy Camp. She always wanted to learn how to play tennis and Jensen had offered to teach her numerous, times. But she always refused his help, jokingly telling him that if she was going to learn to play tennis, her lessons would be taught by a pro. She meant a regular tennis coach and never in her wildest dreams was she expecting that.

Jensen’s gift from her wasn’t as pricey as his gift to her; but she knew that it would be something that he would love and appreciate. She asked him to take a seat and close his eyes. He joked that he would prefer that she gave him this lap dance later on tonight. His mother’s eyes bulged out of their lids at his comment, while the other guests laughed, whistled and cheered.

Jensen didn’t know what to expect, but when he felt two fluffy paws jump up on him, he opened his eyes and was stunned. There, waiting for his caress was a chocolate Labrador retriever, slobbering all over his clothes. Jensen smiled nearly cracked his face. She remembered. His chocolate lab Hersey died the week of his high school graduation and he was devastated. He always wanted another dog, but wanted to wait until he had a house with a backyard. Well he would have that soon. With Maya. Vivian cried too when she saw his gift, remembering how much her son loved his dog, Hersey.

That was one of the reasons why Jensen loved Maya; she was so thoughtful and willing to make those around her happy. Even if it meant sacrificing her own happiness and that was why he couldn’t hurt her, by lying to her.

He had to tell her the truth.

------------------------

“It’s just like the Purdue men to show up just in time for cake and the run off to get out of helping clean up.” Vivian fussed as she directed the caterers, who were still packing away crystal and china.

Maya laughed at Vivian’s observation, the Perdue men were all gathered around the desert table a few minutes ago, but somehow they all vanished.

“Not all of us mother.” Seth corrected, “Is there anymore cake?”

“Where is everyone?” Vivian asked her youngest, pointing to what was left of the desert bar.

“I think that they are still in the library playing with Trixie.” Seth replied before stuffing his mouth with cake.

“Trixie?” both women said at the same time.

“Yep, that’s what Jensen named her.” Seth laughed, revealing the chocolate lab’s new name.

-----------------------------------

“Of all the boneheaded, idiotic things you’ve done. This is by far, the icing on the cake Jensen.” Jasper Perdue, bellowed from the library; as Jensen’s siblings Chase and Royce looked on.

Jensen had confided in brothers already and the only advice they both came up with was to talk it over with their father. Now Jensen wasn’t so sure that it was the best idea, because this was not going the way he thought it would.

“Dad, don’t you think I know that.”

“No, son I don’t think you do. Jasper gritted out. His face was red and his temples were pulsating. “You have your choice of all of those sluts roaming around the country club, and you pick your fiancée’s sister to have one last fling with, are you insane?”

“Dad it wasn’t like that…it just happened.”

“I see.” Jasper responded coolly; but he could easily read Jensen’s body language and it revealed more than his son realized.

“And how many times did it ‘just happen’, hmm?” his father inquired although he already had his answer.

Jensen averted his eyes from his father’s stern gaze.

“Christ almighty, you’ve got to be the biggest….”

Jasper was usually as easy going man, so the fact that his father was not only standing up but yelling surprised Jensen.

 “Dad!” Jensen yelled, stopping Jasper from completing his thought. “Please, just help me fix this.”

“Fix this?” his father asked incredulously. “You’re joking right? Son, this isn’t like getting out of a speeding ticket for going 95 in 45 or having charges dropped after you’ve been arrested for a drunken tirade at the Marriott, Jensen. Both of which Jensen had been guilty of.  You’ve been sleeping with Maya’s sister, so tell me how am I going to help you fix this?”

“You...slept with Jasmine?’ Maya stuttered from the library door.

All sets of eyes that were previous glued on Jensen slowly moved to the figure at the door. No one had heard her soft taps on the door or her steps into the room. The men stood in silent surprise and watched as Maya grabbed on to the door for support.

Maya’s voice was small and quivering but she found the will to ask the question again. “You…you slept with Jasmine?”

Jensen couldn’t lie to her. He wouldn’t. She deserved to know the truth.

His father moved from behind his mammoth mahogany desk and began ushering his other sons out of the room, to give them privacy. He rubbed his hands down Jensen’s back for support and hoped that his son summoned the courage to face his now frantic bride.

Opting not to speak immediately, Jensen considered his words carefully. No matter what he said to Maya, his betrayal would hurt her. Jensen met her light brown eyes that already looked moist with tears. He felt as if he had just been punched in the gut and it caused his own tears to start falling.

 “Maya…” Jensen started, as he moved closer to the door where she stood trembling. He reached for her but she pushed his hands away.

“NO!” Maya yelled, “Just answer the question, Jensen. Did you?”

“Yes…”

**********************************

Still stunned from the turn of events, Maya sat quietly in her bed still clothed in her floral wrap dress. She only managed to pull her hair out of the elaborate ponytail, Nina had styled earlier and took her shoes off. How she could be so blind, she thought as her face fell into her hands. Her thoughts were driving her crazy as she began to replay every interaction that she witnessed between the two; how could she miss the signs of something that hurtful, so close to home.

She heard the nick of the front door closing and Jensen’s footsteps heading up the old pine stairs towards her bedroom. The closer his steps came, the faster her tears fell. She tried to steel herself for the exchange that was to come, but when he walked into the room, her pain bubbled to the surface and the tears spilled out on to her make-up smeared face.

Jensen opened the bedroom door, his heart feeling heavier than he thought possible. If he wasn’t a doctor, he would have sworn that he was having a heart attack. He took one look at Maya’s tear soaked face and wanted to kick his own ass, he broke her heart.

Taking a seat at the foot of the bed, Jensen hung his head in disgrace. How could he explain this to her, when he couldn’t even face it himself.

“How could you hurt me like this Jensen?” Maya whimpered into the room, before he could say anything. “How could you do that to me…to us…?”

Watching her now had Jensen fixed on the spot where sat. Now it was his turn to cry, “I’m so sorry Maya. I’m so sorry I did this, I’m so sorry that I’ve hurt you…”

“It hurts so much…” He reached out to touch her, but Maya quickly evaded the contact. She had come to mean so much to him in the last year, how could he ruin what they had? How could he hurt her like this?

“How long?” Maya choked out through her sobs. She was now looking at him, for the first time since he entered the room and he felt smaller than an ant.

Jensen sighed heavily; with his guilty watery eyes fixed on her, he replied, “The night of my bachelor party in Atlanta.”

“Was that the only time?” Maya whispered.

Jensen’s eyes, dropped to the bed.

“Oh god….” Maya cried and she huddled further into her pillows, letting lose a feral shriek.

Maya couldn’t hold it in any longer as the tears fell down her cheeks. She screamed in frustration and slammed her had against the head board. “How could I be so stupid?” she wondered aloud.

“No, you’re not stupid.” Jensen whispered; trying to get closer to her, but she only pushed him away. “I’m the one who’s stupid. I am about to marry the best person I’ve ever met and what do I do? I fuck it up.”

“Is it…because I am still a virgin and wanted us to wait until we were married?” Maya sobbed.

Guilt overwhelmed him as he saw the tears streaming down Maya’s face. She looked at him too, with her sad eyes.

“No…No baby,” Jensen cried. “I wanted to make love for the first time to my virign bride on our wedding night. I  love you so much, Maya…”

He wanted to say something else but the expression on her face stopped all the words from flowing from his lips. She was heartbroken and now so was he.

 “Jensen, I loved you.” She spoke softly. “I really loved.”

“And I love you too, Maya. So much, I’m so sorry.” Repeating his declaration at least a thousand times, Jensen locked his arms around Maya and refused to let her go.  Maya let Jensen hold her just then, as her body continued to shake from her sobbing. In that embrace he felt her pain and hurt and the tension of the moment had both of then stiff with sadness. He held her in his arms for who knows how long, hoping and praying that she could find it in her heart to forgive him.

The pair sat intertwined on her bed, without words; only sharing tears and the sadness of their situation. She heard Jensen’s sniffles and Maya heart lurched. She held him tighter, not really wanting to let him go. She loved Jensen, she truly did. But sleeping with her sister was unforgivable.

Maya had never felt a hurt this deep. Not by Nadine, not by a father she barely remembered, not by Gran’s death. The two people that she loved more than probably herself had hurt her more than she could have ever imagined. She searched her mind for obvious signs that she could have missed but nothing really stood out.

Suddenly Maya sat up and reached for a tissue off of her bedside table. Dabbing the corners of her eyes, she knew what needed to be done. She was beyond angry with both Jensen and Jazz, but she had to put that aside for the moment so that she could talk to him, calmly.

Jensen watched her as she took a deep breath. “Jensen, I think that it’s best that we…”

A sense of dread settled within in his heart, his hope was that Maya would find it in her heart to forgive him. But it quickly faded before his eyes.

“No, Maya…”Jensen sobbed; he hoped that it wouldn’t come to this. “Please don’t do that…” he pleaded as Maya pulled off her engagement ring.

“It’s for the best.” She took a long look at her ring and then placed it in his palm.

“I’ll call Vivian in the morning to tell her myself. She worked so hard to make sure that everything would be perfect for us...so…I owe her that much.”

Jensen was caught off guard by her actions but he quickly scrambled off the bed, begging and pleading with her to reconsider calling off the wedding.

“I actually believed that we would have been so happy together.” Maya laughed sadly.

“We still can Maya, I still want this.” Jensen promised, kissing her forehead. “I want to marry you more than anything. Please…”

“Jensen, just…go, please.” Maya sobbed staring at the light fixture on the ceiling.

He knew that his pleas would fall on deaf ears tonight. So when she asked him to leave, he understood that as hard as that was, he had to respect her wishes.

Reluctantly he started for the door but then turned to face her,

“Look at me Maya,” She did, it was hard for them both as their pain was clearly visible in each other’s eyes. “I love you, you may not believe that right now but I do. If you find it in your heart to give me another chance, on my life, I promise you I will never do anything that would hurt you like this again. I swear it Maya. I love you.”

Kissing her temple, Jensen told her that he loved her again and that he would call her in the morning. She didn’t acknowledge his parting words and her silence crushed him a bit more. Jensen realized that that it was best not to push her right now.  He had to give her time and space and he would do whatever he had to gain her trust again. Jensen didn’t want to lose her and he certainly didn’t want to call off the wedding. 

------------------------------------------

Climbing up the staircase to face Maya had been hard for Jensen, descending them now was even worst.

“Save it Nina. There is nothing you can say to me that I haven’t said to myself or heard from everyone else, already.” He warned.

Nina stood in the living room fuming. He wasn’t in the mood to deal with her fireworks tonight.

“I can usually spot a rat a mile away; that Jasmine, I had her number the day I met her. But you...you slipped under my radar. That skank has always been jealous of her big sister, but what is your excuse, huh?” Nina offered bitterly as she opened the door for him to leave.

“I just hope that Maya can recover from this. She loves you both so much, this broke her heart, Jensen.”

Jensen walked through the door and didn’t acknowledge what Nina said to him; though he knew her words were true.

Chase got out of the car when he saw the front door open; he didn’t have to ask the question that was on his lips, when he saw his brother’s face. Jensen’s posture said as much.

“Tequila or Bourbon, bro?” Chase asked as he watched Jensen’s defeated form sink in to the passenger side of his silver BMW.

“Tequila, lots and lots of Tequila.” Was Jensen’s somber response.

******************************

Maya sat on the couch and waited for Jasmine to come through the door. She spent the night thinking about what she wanted to say to her sister and two things were at the top of her list.

First Jasmine needed to know that not only had she hurt her by sleeping with Jensen, but that she had also destroyed the last remnant of familial bond that she held so dearly.

And second, Jasmine needed psychological help, because from all the signs that she saw, her sister was on a self-destructive path. Bad choices, habits, people, and men could only lead her down her own dark path.

Maya was starting to grow impatient sitting on the sofa waiting for her sister; who didn’t come home after leaving the bridal shower the previous night.  When Maya woke up this morning she felt as if she had been hit by a freight train. Her emotions were bouncing all over the place. Especially after she spoke with Jensen. He was reluctant to give her details, but she need to know how this could have happened. He pleaded for her forgiveness and she told him that she still needed think things through. Harder still was the conversation she had with Vivian who was firmly on her side but completely devastated by the turn of events.

Maya spent most of the night and morning in bed with Nina lying next to her, encouraging her to cry out her pain and promising to kick both Jensen and Jasmine’s ass. Maya appreciated Nina’s loyalty and told her that she could stomach this whole sullied mess, if Jensen had confessed his love for her younger sister; or if her sister had done the same.

But to know that Jensen’s infidelity was simply in response to Jasmine’s availability and willingness made her insides cringe. What hurt her more was the realization that Jasmine probably did this to snuff out Maya’s new found happiness. Maya knew her sister well enough to recognize the signs of her sister’s manipulative ways, she did this on purpose.

She knew that Jasmine could be selfish and uncaring but this, this was just cruel. Not that she was excusing Jensen for his part in the betrayal, because that was a whole other animal. But as sisters, she was taught that they shared an unyielding bond that nothing could break. Maya laughed at that thought now, recalling all the times that Jasmine had either said or done something that hurt her, but she simply brushed it off.  But today was a new day and this, was certainly not an easily forgivable offence.

Her thoughts were interrupted, when she heard keys jangling in the lock as Jasmine breezed through the door.

“What’s all this?” Jasmine asked pointing to the boxes and suitcases at the door.

“Your shit.” Maya replied icily.

“So he told you?” Jasmine mumbled, slipping her sunglasses off of her face.

Ignoring her question, Maya continued, “You still owe me rent for this month and I think that it’s best that you take your stuff and get out.”

“Are you serious?” Jasmine screeched, looking at her sister.

“No bitch, I’m joking.” Maya glared. Jasmine was too shock at her sister’s response to say anything. “Get your shit and get out.”

“Maya…listen, what Jensen and I did was wrong but…”

“Wrong?” Maya laughed, “Wrong is leaving one cookie in the bag after you’ve eaten the rest; wrong is borrowing my clothes without asking. You sleeping with my fiancé is…how could you do that to me? How could you hurt me like that and on purpose?”

“It wasn’t like that.”

“No? Then tell me how it was; tell me how you fooled him into thinking that you were someone else, tell me how you asked Xavier to introduce you to the lucky bachelor, tell me about your green eye contacts, tell me about your Mardi Gras mask… tell me about it all, because I am dying to hear all about it, sister.”

“I see, so he’s already painted me as the bad guy here; so this is my fault?” Jasmine asked as her tears began falling. “You’re going to take his word over your own sister?”

Maya would have been moved if she didn’t know that those tears weren’t of regret but because she had been caught. The water works were on full blast. Maya at least expected that, the same old manipulative Jasmine.

“Sister!!” Maya yelled.

“You are no sister of mine, slut. My sister wouldn’t go out of her way to hurt me like this.  My sister, who I have been taking care of for as long as I can remember, wouldn’t purposely cause this ache in my heart and she certainly wouldn’t sleep with my future husband. As far as I’m concerned we’re done here.” Maya gritted out, motioning between them.

“You don’t mean that.” Jasmine cried as her eyes darted from her sister to the pile of her belongings.

“The hell I don’t.” getting off the sofa Maya, blocked Jasmine’s attempt to move further into the room. “Everything you own is right there,” pointing to the stacked boxes and suitcases. Maya crossed her arms and watched the stunned expression cross Jasmine’s face.

“Maya, please. I’m sorry…”

“Yeah well, I’m sorry too…”

“I have nowhere to go.”

“Not my issue,” Maya shrugged, “Why don’t you go back to where you slept last night. Or better yet, why don’t you do what you do best, go spread your legs like you always do and hope that the poor sucker is interested long enough to let you stay the night.”

“Fuck you, you think you’re better than me?”

“All day long, whore.”

“Does calling me that make you feel better?”

“No. But kicking you out of my house and my life sure will.” 

Maya looked at her sister and for the first time she could remember, she was looking into the face of that scared little girl who would climb into her bed and ask her if she thought their mother was ever coming back for them.

“Despite what you think, yes, I do think I am better than you. But not for the reasons you’re thinking. I think that we are both better than the life we’ve been dealt. I know you can do better Jazz. I push you because I only want what is best for you, for us. You are smart and talented but you never once believed that. And I guess we can thank our parents for that. I know you think that we are doomed to repeat her sins, but we don’t have to. I don’t plan on it, but the way you are going, you are bound to far exceed the tragedy that was her life.”

Maya looked to her sister when she heard a soft squeak and was surprised that she was actually crying harder at her words.

 “The biggest difference between you and our mother, despite all of her flaws, was that she believed in her family. Nadine always said that we were the only things that she did right in her life and that we should take care of each other. She loved us enough to know, that she couldn’t keep us, living the way she was. She knew her limits. She maybe guilty off all those things you’ve accused her of, but she would have never done anything this hurtful to someone she loved.”

“Please Maya, I’m sorry…” a teary eyed Jasmine pleaded.

“You’ve crossed the line so far on this one that there is no turning back for us.”

Maya moved to face her sibling directly, “No matter what you say Jazz, I’ve known you long enough to know that you did this intentionally. Not because you were drunk, or high, or you wanted to test Jensen’s fidelity. You did this to prove to me that my life can and should be just as miserable as yours. And now, now Jensen and I are left to deal with the consequences of this recklessness. While you’ll just shrug it off and wonder what the big deal is. The big deal is, this time I am not shrugging it off as Jasmine being Jasmine. Not this time. You are a heartless conniving bitch and I am done with you.”

Hearing her sister’s little speech lit a fire in Jasmine’s soul. She couldn’t believe Maya was about to turn her back on her own sister over some dick.  “So that’s it. You’re so hooked on him, that you’re ‘gonna’ pick him over me.”

“Didn’t you hear a world I just said?” Maya yelled in frustration. “This has nothing to do with him; this is between you and me.”

“This has everything to do with him.” Jasmine yelled right back.

“Poor little Maya, bad Jasmine has hurt her feelings again.” Jasmine mocked and then pinned her sister with a look so venomous, Maya thought she would melt on the spot.

“No matter how hard you tried to be this perfect little person to impress him and his family, it didn’t work. Not going to college, not the clothes, not going to all of those charity events with his mother, nothing. In the end he proved to be just like any other guy, all he wanted was a warm place to shove his dick.” Jasmine taunted. “You’re just mad that all it took was one blow job from me, to blow you out of the water. You should be thanking me, I did you a favor. He was a piece of shit and you were too blind to see it.”

Maya ignored Jasmine as best as she could, though she was crying inside at her words. She had been waiting for the real Jasmine to emerge and here she was. The spiteful vindictive bitch that took perverse delight in tormenting her sister, was putting on a show for all to see, no surprises there.

“You think you struck gold with Jensen Perdue? Huh. Bad Jasmine ruined it for you? Did he tell you how he couldn’t get enough of me after we fucked in Atlanta? Huh? Did he tell you that we fucked for three hours straight while you were at school taking your finals? How long after you two got married do you think he would have waited to start cheating on a cold frigid bitch like you.”

Maya knew that Jasmine was baiting her by saying those spiteful things, so she just stood there holding the door knob as if the breeze was whistling in her ear; though she cringed inwardly at her sister’s insults. But Jasmine was not deterred, in fact Maya’s silence only added to her furor.

“Me being a cold frigid bitch pales in comparison to your dirty whoring ways.”

Placing one foot out the door, Jasmine stopped in her tracks to face Maya; her upper lip curled into a sneer at hearing her sister’s words. She moved to stand toe to toe with Maya.

“You think you’re better than me, because I sell my body and you don’t? You think that I’m some cheap slut, just because I fucked your man? Well I got news for you dear sister, your man was fucking me right back. Don’t get it twisted sis, any dog that has a good bitch at home, never has time to feed his bone to anyone else.”

Surprising both of them, Maya slapped her sister across the face, before she could fully complete her sentence. Jasmine reached for her stinging face and could only stare at her sister in disbelief. This time she did cry genuine tears.

“Get. Out. Now.” Maya warned, the blood was boiling and the rage she had been swallowing threatened to burst out at any moment.

Jasmine didn’t move, much to her sister’s annoyance. Maya pushed past her and started shoving Jasmine’s boxes onto the porch. “Get out!!!”

“Please Maya, I’m sorry...” Jasmine begged, as box after box landed onto the porch. “I wasn’t thinking. It was just supposed to be a joke, I didn’t think...”

Maya couldn’t believe what she’d just heard.

 “You think that this is funny, ruining people’s lives is a joke to you?” Still holding the front door open, Maya refused to look at her sister. “Leave now.”

Stepping on to the porch, Jasmine knew everything that Maya said was the truth but hearing it and losing her sister now, hurt her more than the slap did.

“Maya, please…we’re all we have...” Jasmine pleaded, searching her sister’s eyes for her usual compassion and was shocked to see that she held none this time; there was nothing there except coldness.

“Funny…Did you think about that at least once while you were fucking Jensen?”

Jasmine had the good sense to look at the ground and not respond.

“That’s what I thought; you still owe me rent. Leave it mail box before Friday.”

With that Maya slammed the front door on her sister and sank down onto the hardwood floors with her head in her hand and cried.

 

 

End Notes:

Tell me what you think. Forgive errors etc. Working not next chapters too. THX!

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=1627