Stereotypically Yours by Brenda1257
Summary:

 

Stereotypically Yours

Matheson felt that VaLysia was just another angry black female when she brought her grandmother to dinner at his mother's request. VaLysia thought Matheson was just another uppity white prick. Neither of them expected the sparks to fly!

 

Stereotypically Yours is an original work of fiction. Please do not copy or post this story to any other websites. Copyright 2010 BRAnderson

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 45 Completed: Yes Word count: 171682 Read: 298030 Published: 05/08/11 Updated: 26/09/11

1. Chapter 1 Preconceived Notions by Brenda1257

2. Chapter 2 Devils Food & Almond Milk by Brenda1257

3. Chapter 3 The Honest Truth by Brenda1257

4. Chapter 4 Myths Everlasting by Brenda1257

5. Chapter 5 Past Hurts & Present Fire by Brenda1257

6. Chapter 6 Facing the Truth by Brenda1257

7. Chapter 7 Facing the Flack by Brenda1257

8. Chapter 8 Feelings and Fears by Brenda1257

9. Chapter 9 Curiosity and Compromise by Brenda1257

10. Chapter 10 Confrontation and Acceptance by Brenda1257

11. Chapter 11 Celebrations and Decisions by Brenda1257

12. Chapter 12 Passion Night. by Brenda1257

13. Chapter 13 Unexpected Vacation by Brenda1257

14. Chapter 14 With This Ring by Brenda1257

15. Chapter 15 Ignorance and Attitude by Brenda1257

16. Chapter 16 Confrontation and Conflict by Brenda1257

17. Chapter 17 A Much Needed Vacation by Brenda1257

18. Chapter 18 Family Faceoff by Brenda1257

19. Chapter 19 Frankly Speaking by Brenda1257

20. Chapter 20 Calm Before the Storm by Brenda1257

21. Chapter 21 Common Ground by Brenda1257

22. Chapter 22 Moving Forward by Brenda1257

23. Chapter 23 A Day of Bonding by Brenda1257

24. Chapter 24 Rest and Relaxation by Brenda1257

25. Chapter 25 Back To Reality by Brenda1257

26. Chapter 26 The Proposition by Brenda1257

27. Chapter 27 The Best Laid Plans by Brenda1257

28. Chapter 28 Don't Mess With Emily by Brenda1257

29. Chapter 29 The Ugly Truth by Brenda1257

30. Chapter 30 Confronting the Past by Brenda1257

31. Chapter 31 Forbidden Love by Brenda1257

32. Chapter 32 Piecing Things Together by Brenda1257

33. Chapter 33 Hidden Agenda by Brenda1257

34. Chapter 34 Matchmaker Matheson by Brenda1257

35. Chapter 35 Nightmares and Revelations by Brenda1257

36. Chapter 36 Wisdom and Regret by Brenda1257

37. Chapter 37 Education and Compensation by Brenda1257

38. Chapter 38 Coverup and Conflict by Brenda1257

39. Chapter 39 Suspicion and Revelation by Brenda1257

40. Chapter 40 Facing the Truth by Brenda1257

41. Chapter 41 Disaster by Brenda1257

42. Chapter 42 The Eye of the Beholder by Brenda1257

43. Chapter 43 A Taste of Insanity and Obsession by Brenda1257

44. Chapter 44 Dinner and Destiny by Brenda1257

45. Chapter 45 To Love and To Cherish by Brenda1257

Chapter 1 Preconceived Notions by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson meets his former housekeeper's granddaughter and the sparks fly!

Preconceived Notions

Matheson Hendricks took a deep breath as he entered his father's office. He wasn't ready to hear another lecture, but he knew one was coming.

His father had always supported his career decisions and he appreciated that. Gregory Hendricks had built a million dollar business with his baking. Gregory Hendricks was a baker and his father before him. Matheson's grandfather had founded the Hannah's Homemade Products over seventy five years ago and the business grew by leaps and bounds when his father took over.

His father now sat behind a desk, no longer actually baking since the company had expanded to neighboring states. Matheson did not want to run the business on a large scale, but continued to run the original store his grandfather had started with.

"So are you going public Dad?" Matheson asked sitting down across from his father.

"Never" he replied. "This is a family business. I'm living comfortable and you don't want for a thing. I like having control."

Matheson knew that was true. His father still liked running things and would show up at the bakery anything without prior notice. Matheson thought that it was because his father missed baking and wanted to get his hands dirty every now and then.

"So…" Matheson said crossing his arms. "You want to tell me why you summoned me here. I know it's not to try to convince me to come up here in the ivory tower with you."

His father leaned back in the chair. "No, son. I know you don't like sitting behind a desk and you're a damn good baker. I would say you're a chip off the old block, but hell you're better than me or my father."

"I wouldn't say that exactly." Matheson replied grinning, though what his father said pleased him.

"I would. You have the advantage of having been trained by both of us as well as going to Culinary School. All of your hard work has paid off. Profits are up with the introduction of some of your creations" his father replied. "However, that's not why I summoned you here. I know you want to get back to the store. Your mother and I want you to come to dinner. Mavis is coming over for a visit."

Matheson grinned. He hadn't seen Mavis since she retired from being their housekeeper several years ago, though his mother talked to her on a regular basis and they even went out from time to time. She was more like family than help. Matheson couldn't remember a time when Mavis wasn't there when he was growing up.

"I'd love to see her." Matheson said. "How long has it been since all of us have actually been together?"

"Ten years." His father replied. "Can you believe it? You had just returned from Culinary School. Since she doesn't drive anymore, her granddaughter is bringing her over."

"I'll be there. Now there must be something else…or you would have called me instead of summoning me over here." Matheson said knowingly.

"Well, that's true" his father said. "We want to give Mavis the little summer cottage in Williamsburg, Virginia. You know we would go there on occasion with your mother. She would always take Mavis along to help with you. She loved it there. I just thought that it would be a nice birthday present for her. She's been such a good friend to us and she's like a mother to Emily. Your mother suggested it, but I had already given it to you and put the property in your name. I can't just take it back."

Matheson looked surprised. "Dad, I haven't been there in years. Of course Mavis can have it if that's what you and Mom want. Just get the paperwork together and I'll sign. It may need some work though."

"I know. That's the other thing. I may need you to go down to Virginia and check it out" he said. "We'll talk more about that later."

"Sure, Dad." Matheson replied. "I thought you were calling me up here to give me another lecture on settling down."

"Well now that you mention it…" Gregory replied grinning.

Matheson rolled his eyes. He felt that he still had time to settle on one woman. He was a handsome man who was tall and muscular from all the lifting in the bakery. His rugged good looks and blue green eyes attracted him many admirers, but he hadn't met that special lady yet. He was now thirty one which his father felt was old since he and his mother had married young. They hadn't started pestering him until last year when he turned thirty and then they kept asking him when he was going to bring a girl around for them to meet.

"Don't even go there, Dad!" Matheson said walking to the door. "I'll see you tonight."

Gregory watched his son walk out of his office. He supposed that he should be happy that his son was particular about the women he dated. Maybe he was looking for a perfect woman and Gregory knew that there was no such woman. Several of his friends had even speculated to him that perhaps Matheson was in the closet. He refused to believe that for a minute. He had seen his son's roving eye on many occasions when he was around beautiful women whenever they had been out together. No, that wasn't it…but what was really holding him back? Gregory wasn't so sure.

                                                     ((***))

Emily Matheson Hendricks was only four feet eleven and weighed ninety pounds soaking wet, but no one crossed her when she was angry, which wasn't that often. She ran the household like a well oiled machine.

She informed her husband that Mavis was coming over for dinner and that she wanted him to leave work on time to be there in time for dinner and she had no doubt that he would comply.

Mavis was now seventy five years old and Emily had known her since she was born. Mavis' family had worked for hers for as long as she could remember. Mavis mother had been her mother's nanny and her father had worked for Gregory's father driving the bakery truck. Emily felt that they were one big happy family. She knew that Mavis' only daughter Rachel had died of cancer some years ago leaving a young daughter. This must be the granddaughter that was bringing Mavis to the dinner. She had only seen her a few times and that was before Mavis had retired.

Dinner was at six and by five thirty both Gregory and Matheson were there. Emily continued to buzz around checking and double checking everything. She wanted everything to be perfect.

"Well Mavis should be here any minute" Emily said. She kept peeping out of the window. "Mavis is usually so timely" she replied looking at her watch after thirty minutes had passed. I wonder what could be keeping her."

                                                  ((***))

VaLysia Chamberlayne stood by the car as the man finished changing the flat tire on her car. She was glad that she had paid extra for the emergency road service. She quickly signed the papers and got back in the car.

"We're late!" her grandmother said looking at her watch. "Miss Emily don't like people to be late!"

"Grandma, you don't work for her anymore! She invited you to dinner. It couldn't be helped! I offered to give you my cell and tell her that we're running late." VaLysia replied.

"I was just hoping that we'd make it. Now we're already late so there's no use calling. I know it's not your fault, but you need to get your car checked out. Maybe that would have prevented the flat tire." Mavis replied frustrated.

VaLysia rolled her eyes. "Grandma, a flat tire can't always be anticipated. Look, I have the emergency road service. If I didn't, we'd be later than this."

Her grandmother didn't reply but looked out the window.

VaLysia wasn't looking forward to this dinner with her grandmother's former employers. Why would she want to have dinner with a bunch of white folks she worked for she would never understand. They would most likely smile their fake smiles and hide their silverware.

She followed the instructions the GPS was giving and soon she drove up the driveway of a large house. House? It was more like a mansion to VaLysia. No doubt they were high and mighty white folks for sure!

"We can drive around back" her grandmother instructed. "I'm sure they're in the kitchen."

"Grandma, I'm not driving around back like we're in 1957 or something. They invited you to dinner, so we're going to the front door." VaLysia replied disgusted. Her grandmother irked her sometimes.

"Now Val, these are nice people. It's not like that. Don't you go running off that militant mouth of yours and embarrassing me." Mavis said.

"Well Grandma, this is the new millennium. As long as they respect me, I'll respect them. I don't really know these people. I don't have the love you have for them. I know that the money you slaved working for them helped put me through college, so I'm grateful for that!" VaLysia replied patiently.

"Don't talk like that!" Mavis said. "They are good people! They treated me like family, and yes they helped finance your education so don't you forget that, Missy!"

Val quickly got out of the car and opened the door for her grandmother. She reached in the back and got her cane and handed it to her.

Val would do anything for her grandmother, even put up with this boring dinner. Not that she had any plans or a boyfriend to spend time with. Her grandmother kept asking her when she was going to bring one around. Val couldn't make her understand that there wasn't one to bring around.

She didn't kid herself. She wasn't exactly what you would call a beauty. She didn't think she was ugly either. Her skin was a dark chocolate brown, unlike her grandmother's fair complexion. She wore her hair natural with tight twists. Her grandmother often told her that she had her mother's build with her small waist and full hips. She was not that big…a size twelve, but sometimes she struggled to find pants that fit properly since her waist was so small. At twenty six, most other females spent their weekends hanging out with friends instead of taking their grandmother to a boring dinner!

She held her grandmother's arm as they walked to the door which suddenly flew open and a small woman with red hair ran out and threw her arms around Mavis VaLysia raised an eyebrow and didn't comment.

"Mavis!" the redhead said. "I was wondering what was keeping you. It's so good to see you"

Val looked at the woman and didn't say anything. An older man with mixed grey hair was observing the scene.

"Emily! Let Mavis come in the house" he scolded his wife laughing. "Don't squeeze the life out of her."

Emily let her go. "Come on in, Mavis."

She continued to hug her and then looked at Val.

"Forgive me" she said grinning and extending her hand. "I'm Emily Hendricks"

"This is my granddaughter, VaLysia" Mavis replied as they walked into the foyer of the house. "She's my daughter Rachel's child."

"Hello" Val said, looking around.

"I'm Gregory" the tall older gentleman said extending his hand. "I remember your mother quite well."

"Mr. Gregory! It's so good to see you." Mavis said laughing and hugging him.

Val tried not to roll her eyes. If she didn't know better, she'd swear that she was back before black people got their civil rights. She knew her grandmother was old school, but still! She bit her lip and looked away.

She noticed a tall young man watching her. He had to be the older man's son because he looked just like him except that his hair was blond. He was tall like his father, but more muscular. He had his mother's large eyes. He looked away from her as if he had given her the once over and quickly dismissed her. Val gritted her teeth and turned up her nose at him.

"Hi Mavis, remember me" he said focusing on Mavis grinning from ear to ear. Val had to admit that he had a nice smile.

"Matheson!" her Grandmother said hugging the tall blond. She turned to VaLysia holding his hand.

"This is my granddaughter, VaLysia" Mavis said.

"Hello, I'm Matheson" he said extending his hand. VaLysia hesitated and then gave him a weak handshake and then wiped her hands on her pants. Matheson saw what she did and proceeded to study her a moment but didn't comment.

VaLysia noticed as she shook his hand that he had the most beautiful eyes she had ever seen. They were a blue green color. He was handsome…for a white guy and she watched as his eyes quickly roamed over her again and he then quickly turned his attention back to Mavis.

"You don't look anything like Mavis" he said more to himself than to her.

VaLysia gritted her teeth. No, white boy I'm not Halle Berry she thought to herself.

"Come on, let's go into the dining room" Gregory said leading the way.

Mavis linked her arm with Matheson and Val followed dutifully behind them.

The dining room was large and elegant. Gregory pulled out Val's chair for her and she gave him a weak smile. Matheson pulled out her grandmother's chair and then he sat directly across from VaLysia.

"I fixed chicken, your favorite Mavis" Emily said proudly.

Val began to cough and all eyes fell on her. She quickly sipped her water.

"Are you alright dear" Emily asked looking concerned.

"Of course. It's just my sinuses" VaLysia lied. What was wrong with these people? Did they think that all black people ate chicken? She saw the look her grandmother was giving her, and sipped some more water.

She looked up and saw that Matheson was watching her, his expression mocking. Did he know what she was thinking?

"So Ms. Val-see-ya" Matheson said. "What do you do besides chauffer your grandmother around?"

"My name is VaLysia." She replied. "Va-leh-see-ya, ok?"

"I stand corrected" Matheson chuckled.

"So Madison" she said deliberately mispronouncing his name. "What do you do besides eat dinner at mommy's?"

"VaLysia!" Mavis snapped, obviously embarrassed by the way she was acting.

"That's alright Mavis" Matheson said grinning. "I deserved that one."

He turned his attention back to Val. "I help run the family business. I'm a baker. I run the Hannah's downtown."

Val was impressed. "I've been there a couple of times. Not that one though, the one out at Cedar Crest Mall."

"Ah, yes. That one is doing well now." Gregory piped in. "It's only been open for a year."

Dinner was uneventful, but Val felt Matheson's watchful eye on her. He probably thought that she was going to steal the silverware or something. She listened as her Grandmother talked relating old stories of Matheson's exploits when he was young. It irritated VaLysia to no end that she kept calling them Mr. Gregory and Miss Emily like it was still slavery times. Why not just call the arrogant prick in front of her Mr. Matheson. She wished the evening would end soon so that she could go home and curl up with a book.

When they had finished their dessert, Gregory led them into the den.

"Matheson, why don't you show VaLysia the music room." Emily suggested. She linked her arm in Mavis' and turned to VaLysia.

Gregory nodded his head in agreement.

"He has quite a collection of music, VaLysia. I know you must be bored with all these talks of old times." He looked at his son. "Be a good host and show the young lady the room. You hardly ever go in there anymore."

"That's because I'm working all the time!" Matheson protested.

"Yeah, but why let all that surround sound go to waste? I'm sure that Mavis wants to get back on the road before it gets too dark. They have about an hour to drive, right?"

"Yes, that's right" Mavis said in agreement. "I live about an hour away, but Val doesn't live that far from here."

"Well go on then! We'll come get you before Mavis gets too tired, VaLysia" Gregory said.

Val followed Matheson to a large room. The walls were covered with shelves and shelves of albums, DVD's and CD's.

"Wow" she said looking around. "What type of music do you have?"

"All kinds." Matheson replied. "All of us are music lovers and we have different tastes. More than likely we have anything that you care to hear."

Val walked around looking at the music. The room also had a piano, organ and several guitars as well as a harp.

"This is impressive." VaLysia said.

Matheson stood and watched her as she walked around. He could tell that she was uncomfortable at dinner and that for some reason she was irritable. Why did black women always seem so angry? No wonder they could never find or keep a man! He doubted if she had one since she was carting Mavis around. With her attitude, he could see why!

He watched her as she walked around the room. She wasn't a bad looking girl. He wondered what was up with her hair? She probably was a militant type of black woman with her hair all natural and her large hoop earrings. He didn't miss her attitude at dinner. She seemed irritated every time her grandmother said something. She acted like one of those black people always ready to yell discrimination! She had all but called him whitey to his face.

He continued to watch her as she was reading the titles of some of the music. She had an extremely tiny waist which made her behind look bigger than it actually was. She was sort of flat chested though, he noted. He liked boobs himself and he wasn't into big butts and bad attitudes.

"So, what would you like to hear?" he asked, crossing his arms, leaning against the wall.

Val looked at him and then to the shelf that was in front of her. She didn't miss his dismissive look when he was first introduced to her. Not that she cared, but he didn't have to be so obvious with it. No, she wasn't the petite little bimbo he normally dated. She gave him a challenging stare.

"How about Sweet Dreams of You by Patsy Cline" she replied.

Matheson was surprised. "You like country music?"

"I like Patsy Cline" she remarked. "Were you expecting me to say James Brown?"

"I wasn't expecting anything." Matheson said defensively.

"I bet you think that all black people listen to is rap or some other black music, right?" she snapped.

"I never thought that!" he said walking over to her. "Why do you have to be so hostile? What's your problem? Your grandmother-"

"My grandmother still thinks it's the fifties where you say 'yassah Mr. Gregory and yessum Miss Emily" she spat.

"At least she has manners!" Matheson replied. "You black people-"

Val laughed. "Oh, so now it's us black people? What do you think my grandmother is? Oh that's right. She's kind of a bright yellow negro so she's not so bad!"

Matheson turned red. "I didn't say that."

"You didn't have to" she replied. "You were thinking it. You're just another white bigot who was feeling charitable and decided to ask your old mammy to dinner!"

"I'm a bigot? You wrote the book on bigotry. You came in here with your mind already made up about us!" he said bringing his face close to hers.

"Me?" Val shouted back, clearly agitated. "You gave me the once over and dismissed me when I walked in here!"

"What?" Matheson shouted back. "Are you all hot and bothered because I didn't ask you for a date? Well I don't date angry black women!"

"Fuck you!" she hissed, rolling her eyes at him.

"That's probably what you need, but I don't have a paper bag available to put over your head when I do it!" he snapped back.

Val caught her breath at his remark. He was all but calling her ugly! Tears stung the corner of her eyes, but she willed them not to fall. She had been called that on more than one occasion. No she wasn't light, bright and damn near white. No she didn't have good hair. Yes, her lips were a little big! So what! How dare he talk to her like that? White people were a trip! Their standard of beauty didn't include any dark skinned kinky head black women like her!

"I'm getting the hell out of here!" she said rushing towards the door trying to keep her composure.

Matheson regretted his words as soon as he said them. Why had he let her get to him like that? She wasn't ugly. He couldn't understand how she just had the ability to set him off. He had never acted like this before.  He quickly did damage control.

"Wait a minute!" he said following her and grabbing her arm.

"Let me go, asshole!" she said struggling against him.

"No, not until I apologize-"

"Fuck your apology!" she hissed.

"I see you use that word a lot. Are you trying to tell me something" he countered.

"You arrogant bastard!" she snapped. "I think I need more than the three to four inches you have to offer me!"

Before he knew what he was doing, Matheson grabbed her hand and rubbed it against his groin. "I got your three to four, sister. How about six to seven?"

VaLysia gasped at his boldness and drew her hand back as if it was burned. He then quickly pulled her into his arms kissing her soundly.

"What the devil is going on in here?" Gregory said opening the door of the music room. "I could hear yelling all the way down the hall!"

Matheson quickly let VaLysia go. He knew he would get a good tongue lashing from his father and his mother once VaLysia told them how he behaved. He was somewhat ashamed of his actions. He had never acted like that before.

"We were just arguing over which one of Patsy Cline's songs were the best" Val lied. "I guess things got out of hand, right Matheson?" She looked at him stretching her eyes for confirmation.

Matheson looked at her surprised and then looked at his father. His mother and Mavis was standing close behind.

"Yeah, that's right. Sorry if we got too loud" he replied.

Gregory started laughing. "Well, that's alright. I know when it comes to music you can get pretty passionate, Matheson."

Matheson looked away wondering why she had covered for him. He stole a quick glance at her and noticed that she was studying her nails.

"Well, I guess we'd better go, Val" Mavis said eying the two of them. She turned to Gregory. "It's been a lovely evening."

"Please come back soon" Emily said. "In fact, your birthday is next month. I want to see you again."

"I don't know..." Mavis replied eying Val.

"Please!" Emily said turning to Val. "Can you bring her back? I have a special surprise planned for her."

"Well Grandma" Val said "If they have a surprise, how can you turn it down?"

Mavis grinned at her. "Alright, Val. If you don't mind bringing me, I'll come."

"Then it's all settled." Emily replied clapping her hands.

VaLysia pulled out of the driveway as her grandmother waved goodbye. She still couldn't understand why she had lied to cover up what Matheson had done. The kiss was totally unexpected. If he thought that she was so ugly, why did he kiss her? She remembered the feel of him under her hand and the thought of it made her stomach do flips.

She had deliberately baited him and he had fallen for it. She hadn't expected him to react like he did. The memory of the kiss and the feel of him under her hand burned in her memory. She could tell that he was embarrassed by his own behavior immediately after his father entered the room.  Why didn't she just throw him under the bus right then?  Maybe it was the shock of him kissing her.  It had been a while since any man had done that.

"We had a nice time" her Grandmother said to her. "You're mighty quiet. What did you think of Matheson?"

"He's an arrogant prick" Val replied.

"He's a nice boy, Val. You didn't pick a fight with him, did you? I know you don't like white folks."

"I never said that!" Val replied. "I just don't like condescending white folks."

"Matheson is not like that." Mavis said. "I've known the boy since he came out the womb. There's not a prejudicial bone in his body."

"Whatever, Grandma" Val said not wanting to argue with her.

Her grandmother didn't respond and Val wondered how she let herself get talked into another dinner with Matheson Hendricks.

Valysia ChamberlayneMatheson Hendricks

End Notes:

Alright folks!  This story has been in progress for over a year and is almost 40 chapters thus far.  I put the beginning out there to give you something (as many have requested) and now I'm going to work on my next chapter before my beta thinks I've left town. 

Chapter 2 Devils Food & Almond Milk by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson remembers the kiss.  Val and Matheson meet up unexpectedly!

Devils Food and Almond Milk

Two weeks had gone by since the infamous dinner and Matheson was still thinking about her. He couldn't understand how she had gotten in his head. 

After all, she was nothing like any woman he'd ever been attracted to…not that he was attracted to her. First of all, he didn't date black women. Not that he was prejudiced or anything. He just didn't think that the two of them had anything in common. Her stinky attitude didn't help matters either.

He was surprised at how soft and sweet her lips were and he could still remember the scent of whatever she was wearing. It reminded him of vanilla. He didn't even understand why he had kissed her in the first place. It was a spontaneous act and he had even surprised himself. He was just glad that she hadn't ratted him out to his parents. The last thing he wanted was to be on his Mom's bad side, plus he didn't need her crying sexual harassment!

Still, he had never met a woman quite like VaLysia. She was nothing like her sweet grandmother Mavis. He thought about how she acted at the dinner and in the music room.  Why did black people always cry fowl? He pushed the thought out of his mind and concentrated on the cakes he was placing in the display case.

He was checking in supplies that were being delivered when Gary came from the front of the store looking for him.

"Your father's up front, Matheson. He says he needs to see you right away."

Matheson wondered what was wrong and looked at the clock. His father normally went to the office about this time. He walked up front and saw his father dressed for the office so he knew he wasn't making one of his surprise visits.

"What's up, Dad?" he asked looking worried. "Is everything alright?"

Gregory fumbled with his cell phone and looked at his son. "No, it's not alright. No one is at the Cedar Crest Mall store! Ernest didn't show up for work and Alice is on vacation. The rest of the employees can't get in. I need you to go out there. I would go, but I have a meeting at 10! The store was supposed to open at eight. It's now almost nine!"

Matheson could see that his father was upset. A lot of money had been invested in the Cedar Crest Mall location and it was just beginning to make a profit!

"Don't worry, Dad!" he said reassuring his father. "I'll go over there, but it's going to take me thirty minutes with the morning commute!"

"Good. Thanks son" his father replied. " Call me when you get there and let me know the status of things. Hopefully we haven't lost a lot of business."

Matheson nodded and quickly went in the back to get his keys.

                                   ((***))

VaLysia hurried back to her office after her meeting with Mr. Jenkins. She felt that she knew her job, but she thought that Mr. Jenkins was always trying to find fault in her work. You would think that a brother would be on your side, but not that Uncle Tom! He seemed to nit pick everything she did!

She loved her job as she loved working with numbers and as the Accounts Receivable Supervisor she was responsible for ten people who posted all receivables and her job included making sure that each day's deposit was balanced against the paperwork where the money was applied.

Most of the people she worked with were nice; except for some reason she felt that Mr. Jenkins had it out for her. She had been on the job three years and had received excellent reviews so she couldn't figure out what the problem was. He had been her manager the entire time, but lately he seemed to critique her work more.

Now he questioned her figures and asked her to recheck several items she had listed on her report. She sighed. She would most likely have to work through lunch since he wanted it before the day's end.

She was surprised an hour later when Mr. Jenkins came into her office.

"Chamberlayne, I need to talk to you." Mr. Jenkins said walking over to her.

Uh-oh, what now? She thought.

"Mr. Jenkins, I will have those figures for you before days end" she replied.

Mr. Jenkins waved his hand at her. "I know you will, Chamberlayne. You're quite efficient."

VaLysia raised her eyebrow in surprise at his complement. It was rare coming from him.

"Look" he said sitting down across from her. "I'm going to be retiring next year and I am recommending you for the manager's position. You're a good supervisor and I think you can handle it even though you're a little young."

VaLysia cleared her throat. She was shocked, but she detected a 'but' in there somewhere. She tried not to get her hopes up.

"Thank you, Mr. Jenkins. I'm surprised. I had no idea-"

"Of course you wouldn't. I've been working you hard, pushing you over the last year to see if you could stand up under the pressure. You've passed with flying colors. I know that the Director will take serious consideration of my recommendation when they start interviewing for my replacement."

He looked at her a moment and then cleared his throat.

"Look, can I speak to you off the record?" He looked around and noticed that her door was still ajar.

"VaLysia nodded still trying to recover from the fact the he was recommending her for a promotion. He leaned forward towards her as she sat behind the desk.

"Look, even though you are an excellent worker…some folks feel that you are not that accessible." He stared at her and VaLysia frowned up wondering what he was talking about.

"Mr. Jenkins, I'm always accessible. I try to help anyone who asks me a question."

"I know that" he replied. He then got up and shut the door. He came back over and sat back down.

"It's just that some people feel that way. Perception is everything. You don't appear accessible. You rarely smile…and you seem aloof a lot of times."

VaLysia stared at him surprised. She tried to hold her temper as she thought about what Mr. Jenkins was saying. She wondered who had a problem with her. Why didn't they come to her if they did?

"Who are these people I am supposed to be intimidating to?" she asked coolly. What had that to do with her overall job performance anyway?

"That doesn't matter-"

"It does to me!" she snapped. "How can I reevaluate my behavior if I don't know what you're talking about?"

Mr. Jenkins pondered her words for a moment and then leaned forward.

"Well, Debbie for one and then there's Ted Reynolds. Both of them feel that you have a chip on your shoulder."

"I have never had words with either of them!" VaLysia said in protest. "I hardly even talk to them!"

"Just try to be more friendlier-"

Val laughed bitterly. Both of them were white and dumb as a brick. It wasn't her problem that they were intimidated by her. If they knew their job and did it properly, they wouldn't have a reason to be so scared. She had never even had words with either of them! How could she be intimidating!

"Is it because I'm black?" she hissed. "Am I supposed to be the singing and dancing darky to keep the white folks at ease, Mr. Jenkins?"

She knew she shouldn't have said that, but she couldn't help herself. Why should she suffer because of someone else's unfounded feelings? Both of them acted like scared rabbits when she was around them. They didn't pay her to be a social butterfly! She was just here to do her job, not try and make white folks comfortable!

"You are totally misunderstanding me!" Mr. Jenkins replied. "I'm just saying that you can be a bit intimidating to some people-"

"White people?"

"Yes, some white people. That's just the way it is." He replied.

She sat back in her chair. "I can't believe this crap!"

"Look, I'm just trying to help you." Jenkins said. "You do with the information what you want to. I just wanted to give you a heads up."

He stood up. "We don't have many black managers here. You are an excellent candidate. I want you to have the job, that's all."

"Did they actually tell you that I needed to make changes in order to get the job?" she asked.

"No…but hints were laid out there…and they mentioned your hair…"

"My hair? What's wrong with my hair?" she snapped defensively.

"Forget it!" Jenkins replied. "I can see that all I'm doing is upsetting you and that was not my intention. I don't need you running out here and filing a discrimination suit. You are not the only qualified candidate, you know. Ramos is also qualified and he's a minority also. He has a few more years with the company than you do. However, I feel that you are the best person for the job, and I stick by that."

Val looked at him. He was only trying to help. She took a deep breath. Maybe she would think about what he was telling her, but she was not about to change her hair to make white people more comfortable! She liked her hair just the way it was! All black people didn't straighten their hair! They needed to get over that! She looked at Mr. Jenkins who was watching her.

"What about my hair? It's clean. It's neat." She explained.

"It's ethnic" Jenkins said. "You will have to do some traveling. You'll be representing the company. I guess your hair makes them nervous."

"I'm not changing my hair to make them comfortable." She replied. "It's just a style. I don't feel that my hair should be straightened in order to fit in with these people's concept of beauty."

"Of course not. Just think about what I said." Mr. Jenkins replied. He looked at his watch. "It's lunch time. Go on out and get you a bite to eat. Think about what I've said. Get out of the building. It'll do you good. You can give me those figures in the morning if you can't finish them by days end."

Val sighed as he shut the door behind him.

What was with white folks anyway? Did they only feel comfortable around blacks who permed their hair and smiled all the time? What about just doing the work? Well she was going to do just what Mr. Jenkins said and take lunch…a nice long one!

She left the building and decided to go to Hannah's in the mall which was only ten minutes away. She would pick up something to go with the salad she brought from home.

She walked in and looked in the case. The place smelled heavenly. She thought about Matheson. The place was full of people milling around. She looked in the case and caught her breath. Two women were behind the counter taking orders and since several people were in front of her, she took her time looking at all the cakes and pies.

They had her favorite, devils food cake with chocolate icing. She needed chocolate after that meeting with Mr. Jenkins! She felt her mouth water in anticipation.

"Hello there" a male voice said startling her. She looked up and saw Matheson standing behind the counter.

"What are you doing here?" she asked surprised. Damn! Those eyes of his were even more startling in the bright light of daytime. She tried not to stare.

"I had to cover for the manager who unfortunately was in a car crash this morning." Matheson said looking at her.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Val said "I hope he's alright."

"Just a little banged up. The car was totaled though" he replied.

His eyes ran over her. She had on a black and white print skirt that flared and a black patent leather belt was around her waist. The white blouse was neatly tucked in the skirt and she had on a black blazer. She bent forward looking into the case and it gave Matheson a glimpse of the tops of her small round breasts. He immediately felt a stirring in his loins and looked away.

"Everything looks so good" she was saying. "But devils food cake is my favorite!"

"I made it myself" Matheson replied grinning.

"Really?" she replied glancing hungrily at the cake. She licked her lips and Matheson tried not to stare.

"Sure did. This morning in fact. It's nice and fresh…and home made with love" he replied.

Now why did I say that? He wondered. She looked at him and smiled. Damn she was even cuter when she smiled. If only she would smile more. He thought she looked prettier than she did at his Moms. Maybe it was the outfit. It was very becoming. The skirt was right above her knees and she had nice legs.

"Well I'm sure that if it was made with love, you didn't have me in mind when you made it" she said laughing. "Give me a piece of it to go. This and a glass of milk will make my day!"

"I wish I could drink milk again" Matheson said cutting the cake. "I've become lactose intolerant. I used to love milk and cookies and the thought of milk and this cake sounds wonderful."

Val watched him as he cut a huge slice and her mouth began to water. Normally she didn't get a piece that big. Was he giving her a bigger piece than normal? She wondered why. She ran her eyes over him in his white chef's uniform and little chef's hat. He had a smudge of flour on his face which made him look sexy as hell. She watched him a few moments longer since his back was to her. She still remembered how he felt under her hand and she found herself blushing. She couldn't believe that she was attracted to this white boy. Well, he'd never know it. She wasn't about to get shot down or ridiculed.

"I can't drink milk either" she said. "Have you tried almond milk? That's what I drink. The vanilla kind is so good and it's great in cereal and I love it with sweets. It's great for people who can't drink regular milk."

Matheson put the cake in a bag. "No, I've never had it. I'll have to check it out."

"Well do you have a cup?" she asked. "I have some in my lunch bag, but I only have one small cup."

Matheson looked around. All of the customers had been taken care of and he decided to take a quick break. He turned back to her.

"You don't have to do that." he said wondering why she was being so nice.

"I know that!" she snapped. "Now get a cup and ring me up before my lunch is over."

Matheson looked at her as she sat her lunch bag on a nearby table and unzipped it. She took out a small carton. He handed her a sample cup and she poured some in it. He took it and gulped it down.

"This is good!" he said surprised.

"It's even better with cake" she replied. He really was handsome.

"I' most definitely will have to buy some of this" he replied. He handed her the bag with the slice of cake in it.

"You didn't ring me up" she replied holding out the money in her hand.

"Your money is no good here. I owe you after my bad behavior at dinner." He said looking sheepish.

"Yeah, I guess you do!" she said putting her money back in her pocket. She looked at her watch. "I might as well eat in here. I have to be back to work shortly."

Matheson watched as she walked over to a table and took out her salad and began eating. She caught him watching her, and smiled at him. She had a beautiful smile. He wondered why she wore her hair with those little ringlets. He had seen some black people with those…mostly the militant type. She was nothing like Mavis, as she obviously disliked white people.  Why did that bother him so much?

He busied himself with customers and looked up and saw that she was reading a book. He didn't know why, but he wanted to talk to her some more. He wiped his hands and told them that he was taking a quick break.

He came from behind the counter and walked over to her just when he saw her begin to eat the cake. He pulled up a chair and sat on it backwards facing her. He could smell a faint trace of the perfume she was wearing.

"So, what do you think?" he asked after her first bite.

"It's delicious!" she said closing her eyes and chewing. It was the most delicious devils food cake she had ever eaten! At least the white boy could cook!

Matheson found himself watching her mouth. He remembered how it felt under his and felt the familiar stirring of his arousal in his stomach. For some reason he wanted to kiss those lips again, but he looked away instead. What was wrong with him? She was not the type of girl he was normally attracted to.

"You're a good cook" she replied taking another swig of milk. She tried not to get lost in his ocean eyes as he stared at her. Her heart felt as if it would beat out of her chest.

She cut another piece with her fork. "Here, you try it."

She held the fork out for him to take a bite which he did and then poured some more milk in the extra glass he had given her earlier. She couldn't understand why she was so excited and nervous at the moment.

He let her feed him the cake and took a swig of the milk. It was good. Normally, he didn't eat behind people. He didn't know why she was any different, except he couldn't get his mind off of the kiss they had shared in the music room.

"Baker" he replied as he chewed. "I'm a baker, not a cook. And thank you for the milk. I'll have to go and buy some almond milk myself."

"Here. You can have the rest of this if you want." She replied handing him the carton. "I didn't drink directly out of it you know."

"Thanks" he said taking it from her. His hands brushed against hers and he immediately felt the electricity that generated between them. She glanced away, yet he knew that she had felt it too.

He knew he was staring but he couldn't help himself. He reached over and touched the side of her mouth. "Milk" he said smiling wiping her mouth with his fingers.

His light touch to her mouth sent shivers through VaLysia. His hand lingered just a moment and Val looked at him surprised. If she didn't know any better, she'd swear that he was looking at her...like that! But that wasn't possible. He wasn't attracted to her at all! Who was she kidding? This white boy was just feeling guilty about what he'd done the other night!

"I have to go" she said standing up. What was wrong with her? Why was she allowing him to get under her skin? He most likely was used to women throwing themselves at him. He probably had two or three of them at a time, most likely all small, thin and blond and dumb as a bag of hammers! There was no way possible that he was interested in her. She had heard that white men liked thin women, not a girl like her with wide hips. They wanted big breasts and she felt that she didn't fit that description.

"Thanks again for the cake." she said not meeting his gaze.

"You're welcome" he said walking her to the door. He looked around and saw that everything was calm in the store so he followed her out to her car. Maybe he had misjudged her. He had to admit that today had gone a lot better than their initial meeting.

"Look I want to apologize again for my bad behavior. I don't know what came over me." he murmured. He wondered if he should ask her out...get to know her better?

She looked at him, her heart was beating fast. Why was she so excited by this white boy? Why was he walking her to the car like he cared about her or something? What was going on here and why was she responding to him this way? He was just feeling guilty she thought trying to convince herself. That's why he was being so nice! He most likely still felt that she was an ugly duckling he should feel sorry for. Why was she letting his smile and those gorgeous eyes of his affect her? She needed to get a grip. He was white. He had his world and she had hers! He would most likely have a good laugh if he knew how she was feeling right now. Most likely he was just afraid that she would say something to her grandmother and end up getting on her bad side. Yes! That was it! It was all about covering his ass. He wasn't interested in her as a woman!

"I don't know what came over you either" she replied nastily trying to calm the butterflies in her stomach. "I can't understand why you would even look at me since doing so would probably hurt your corneas. I need a bag over my head remember?"

Matheson was stunned. Things seemed to be going so well between them earlier! Where did that comment come from? He had already apologized to her several times for what happened at his mother's. Why couldn't she just let it go? Was she bipolar or something? He drew himself up. He was sick of her bad attitude and he wasn't going to apologize a third time for his mistake!

"Well I guess since you were smiling for once and not frowning and making nasty comments, I thought you looked a hell of a lot better. Take my advice; you actually look a whole lot better with a smile on your face than with a brown paper bag over your head! However, either one of them will be an improvement over the way you look and sound to me right now!"

Before she could recover from his comment, he turned and stormed back into the bakery.devil's food cakealmond milk

Chapter 3 The Honest Truth by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Valysia renders an apology.  Matheson asks Val out.

The Honest Truth

Matheson felt like kicking himself. He didn't know why he allowed her to get to him once again. It was crazy! He finished up at the bakery and made arrangements for the assistant manager to be able to open the store the rest of the week. He didn't want to take a chance seeing VaLysia again anytime soon. He doubted if she would come to his store twenty five miles away.

It was late when he got off as the mall closed at nine o'clock that night. He was tired and just wanted to go home, however he had promised to stop by his parent's house and talk to his father about how things looked at the Crescent store. He lived forty five minutes away from his parents and he debated whether or not to just stay the night with them after he talked to his father.

He walked into the house and found his father reading in the den.

"Where's Mom?" he asked looking around.

"She's gone to bed already." Gregory replied. "How were things out at the mall?"

"Business is good" Matheson said sitting down. "I don't think we suffered any with the late opening. People were waiting when I arrived and they were very patient when we did open. I gave them a discount as well as an apology."

"Excellent!" his father replied smiling.

He looked at his father and leaned back on the sofa. "I gave a key to Charlotte. I think she can handle things the rest of this week. I want to get back to my own store. I am confident that she can carry on without me. I'd rather not neglect my own store any longer."

Gregory grinned at him. "All of them are yours..or will be eventually."

"You know what I mean." Matheson replied.

"So...the weekend is coming up." his father replied. "Any hot dates?"

Matheson rolled his eyes. "Who has time for dating when you work me like a government mule?"

"Me?" Gregory replied laughing. "You can take off! You just choose not to. I bet you didn't even take a break today!"

"You're wrong about that. I did. In fact, Mavis' granddaughter came into the store for lunch and we had a little chat."

"Oh really?" Gregory replied surprised. "She seems like a nice girl. Mavis put her through college, you know. She really dotes on her only granddaughter. Such a tragedy with her parents and all."

Matheson tried not to appear too interested. "Really? What's the story?"

"Her mother had cancer. Seems her father fell apart after Rachel died. He just started drinking and had to go into rehab on several occasions. He could never get himself together. His whole world was built around VaLysia's mother. It seems that he totally ignored his own daughter after she passed on. VaLysia was sixteen I think when it happened. That's why Mavis went on and retired to help with her. Her father ended up committing suicide about a year later. I am sure that the whole situation was devastating for a young girl."

Matheson was surprised. "No wonder she's so hostile. Maybe she needs some counseling"

"What are you talking about, Matt?" his father said surprised. "She seemed perfectly nice to me. ..but there was the yelling that was going on when you two were in the music room."

Gregory watched his son's face turn red and knew that he had hit a nerve. Matheson quickly stood and changed the subject. "I'm tired. I think I'll stay here tonight and just get up early in the morning."

Matheson avoided his father's stare. He didn't want to talk about what happened in the music room!

"Of course, son" Gregory replied. He knew Matheson was keeping something from him...but what?

Gregory watched as Matheson quickly exited the room. Well...well...well!

He knew his son and he knew something was up! He remembered how the two of them had jumped apart when he barged into the music room when he heard all the commotion. Gregory knew Matheson well enough to know they were both lying when he told him that they were arguing over Patsy Cline.

He wondered what was really going on, but he then felt that most likely knowing what a hothead Matheson could be; that they had got into an argument of some sort and most likely his son was too embarrassed to tell the truth. Now he wasn't so sure about his previous conclusion.

Elliott who was one of his golfing buddies had called him earlier that day and told him that he had gone by the Crescent store and saw Matheson sitting with a black girl who was feeding him cake. He claimed that Matheson was so up in her face that he didn't even see him come in the store. Elliott proceeded to ask him if she was Matheson's girlfriend! He then speculated that this girl most likely was just someone his son was picking up for some after hours entertainment!

Gregory was slightly irritated at Elliott's inquiry. He was worse than a women when it came to gossip. Elliott was the one who speculated that Matheson might be in the closet and now he was saying that he might be picking up hookers? He did wonder though who the girl could be until Matheson told him indirectly that it was VaLysia.

Gregory wondered if something was going on between the two of them. He doubted it...but he didn't want any trouble with Mavis either. Emily would have a fit and so would Mavis if the two of them had some sort of fling. He had heard of 'jungle fever'...could his son be experimenting? He never would have thought Matheson would do that. He wouldn't even have considered it, but he had to admit that Elliott made a point. Matheson was very germ conscious and he couldn't imagine him eating off a fork of a girl he hardly knew. Something was going on.

As much as he liked Mavis, he couldn't see his only son being serious about someone like VaLysia. He knew that how it sounded, but he wanted white grandchildren and if Matheson and VaLysia got together, any children they produced would most certainly be black! No, Matheson was most likely just fooling around. He was still young and that was to be expected. He just hoped the girl was on some sort of birth control and that his son was smart enough to use condoms!


VaLysia sat on her bed reading. She could hardly concentrate on the book for thinking about Matheson. She realized that she had flown off the handle when he walked her to her car. He was only trying to be nice. He wasn't responsible for her feelings. She remembered the hurt in his voice when he had responded to her comment about hurting his corneas.

Maybe Mr. Jenkins was right. Maybe she really was too blunt, too hostile. She didn't know why she acted like she did sometimes. Maybe he was sincerely sorry. She picked up the phone and called her grandmother.

"Hey, Grandma" she said when she heard her voice.

"Val baby. This is a pleasant surprise!" Mavis replied. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah. Uh, Grandma can you give me Matheson's number?"

Mavis paused for a moment. "I don't have his number, but I have his parent's number. You can call and ask them and I'm sure that they'll give it to you."

Val hesitated. "That's OK. I don't want to bother them!"

"Nonsense!" Mavis replied. "Here take the number."

Val wrote the number down. What would she tell them? Did she have to tell them anything? She felt herself begin to sweat. She was surprised that her grandmother didn't question her further.

"Thanks Grandma" she said

"Sure, baby" she responded.

Val hung up the phone and stared at the number a full ten minutes before she dialed it. She took a deep breath and looked at the time. It was almost eleven o'clock. Suppose they went to bed early or something? She would just have to take her chances!

She quickly dialed the number before she could change her mind.

The phone rang several times before a male voice answered.

"Hello?"

"Uh, hello...may I speak to Matheson, please." Val held her breath figuring it must be his father. She waited for him to ask her who she was. She still hadn't decided on what reason she would give for asking for his number.

"This is Matheson."

Val paused with a lump in her throat. It was him! He was at his parent's house! There was a long pause as she tried to get herself together.

"Hello?" Matheson stated. "Are you still there?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry. Matheson...this is VaLysia." She held her breath waiting for him to hang up in her face.

"VaLysia? Hey...this is a totally unexpected surprise."

She heard the laughter in his voice.

"Well I wasn't exactly expecting you to answer the phone" she said laughing nervously.

"Really? Then why did you call here then?" he responded chuckling.

"I was going to ask for your number." she confessed.

"Oh really? Well you have me. What can I do for you" he asked in his most formal voice.

Val winced in the phone. She took a deep breath again. Her hand shook slightly.

"I..I just wanted to apologize for today." she said finally. "I know I was rude and you hadn't done anything to deserve that."

She heard no response from the other end of the line. Maybe he wouldn't accept her apology.

"Matheson? Are you there?" she asked.

"Yeah. I'm just surprised that's all." he replied.

"Well do you accept my apology?" she whispered apprehensively.

"Only if you'll have dinner with me" he replied chuckling again.

"Why would you want to do that" she gasped.

"Maybe I want your apology face to face" he replied teasingly.

Val hesitated. She wasn't expecting this. What should she do? Was he feeling sorry for her again?

"You don't have to do that" was all she could think of to say. God! She hadn't been on a date in ages and she had never been out with a white guy before!

"I realize that. I want to do it. We can go out to eat and see a movie. I haven't been out in a good while and I need to take a break"

Val was surprised at that bit of information. She knew that he must work long hours, but she found it hard to believe that a man like Matheson was celibate. Maybe since they both hadn't been dating, it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe they both would be a little nervous.

"Alright. When do you want to go out?" Val said finally.

"Saturday evening. Give me your number and address and I'll give you my cell" he said.

Val quickly took down his number and gave him hers.

"Alright, I'll see you Saturday" she said.

"Look forward to it" Matheson replied and hung up.

Gregory was intriged. He had picked up the extension the same time Matheson did. True, he should have hung up as soon as he heard VaLysia ask for Matheson, but he couldn't help eavesdropping. he was curious after the conversation with Elliott.

So, his son was taking Mavis' granddaughter out on a date! Hmmm. Most likely it was just a curious itch he wanted to scratch. Maybe he should have a talk with Matheson. He didn't want any trouble. Then again, he had heard enough about black girls and their sexual habits these days to know that she most likely just wanted a good time also. Hell, they were both adults. Let them have their fun!

Satisfied with his deduction, he grinned to himself. He was sure that this was just a passing fling, an itch that Matheson needed to scratch. Gregory doubted if it was more than that. He got up and cut out the light and decided to go to bed.

Matheson hung up the phone and wondered what had just happened. He still couldn't believe that she had called to apologize. Well, he would accept her apology face to face. After all, she had attacked him and he felt that he should at least give her a chance to explain herself. That was the only reason he asked her out, besides the fact that he hadn't been out in months.

He lounged back on his old bed. This date could get pretty interesting. He heard the hesitation in her voice when he asked her out. He wasn't sure why he had even asked her out.  He had never dated a black girl before. Still it was only a friendly date, nothing serious.  The business had benn consuming a lot of his time and he reasoned that he needed a break.  This was just fun.  She wasn't expecting anything from him and vice versa.  He just hoped that things would remain friendly and stress free!

Unable to sleep, he got up and walked through the house which was now quiet. He wished that he had taken the time to get some more of that almond milk she had told him about. Matheson started to go into the kitchen and grab a snack, but then changed his mind.

He spotted a photo album on the shelf of the den and picked it up. It was one that he hadn't looked at in years so he took it back to his bedroom.

He smiled as he looked at several pictures of his parents before he was born and all of his school pictures. There were even some pictures of Mavis with her arm around a young girl. He stared hard at the picture wondering who she was. It was too old of a picture to be VaLysia. He then realized that it must be Mavis' daughter.

He turned the pages looking for a better shot and got to one that was a closeup of her and Mavis. She was a pretty girl with long hair and a light brown complexion. He wondered where VaLysia got her coloring from being as dark as she was. He could see a resemblance between VaLysia and her mother.

He continued flipping the pages and saw another picture of Mavis, her daughter and a man, apparently Mavis' son in law. He had his arm around Mavis' daughter who was obviously pregnant.

The picture was a little out of focus, but Matheson could see a resemblance also between the man and VaLysia. The man was also fair skinned like Mavis. That surprised him. Maybe the dark skin skipped a generation or something.

He decided to surprise Val and he removed some of the pictures to scan on his copier. He would buy a small photo album and present it to her on Saturday. He knew that she would like that. He quickly scanned the pictures and put them back in the album.

After he was done, he put the pictures in an envelope until he could pick up what he needed from the store.

Matheson climbed in bed and cut out the light. He wondered why he was going through so much trouble to impress a girl that he didn't like. He didn't like black girls remember...he thought chastising himself.

The honest truth though was that he couldn't get VaLysia out of his mind. He didn't know why...but then again he did. He had to admit that he was attracted to her. Ever since that kiss...those full lips of hers and how they felt under his burned in his memory. What he couldn't figure out was why she appeared so hostile much of the time? He couldn't figure that out. It seemed to him that she didn't like white people. If that was the case, then why did she agree to go out with him? It was all so contradictory, but he knew that he wasn't acting normal either.

Maybe this was bigger than both of them. He remembered his father once saying that you can choose a woman with your head, your penis or your heart. Which one was choosing VaLysia? He wasn't so sure.

When he first saw her, she didn't appeal to him at all, so that ruled out the head and the penis. But then again when he kissed her...maybe it was the penis talking. Maybe. He wasn't sure about anything anymore. Whatever it was, he knew that he had to tread carefully. He didn't want any backlash from Mavis or his mother. He certainly didn't want her to get the wrong idea. It was just a friendly date. After all, he didn't like black girls, remember?

 

Chapter 4 Myths Everlasting by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Val is nervous about her upcoming date.  Mavis gives her granddaughter some shocking family history!

Myths Everlasting

VaLysia couldn't remember a time that she had felt so nervous as she was now about a date. She had looked at several outfits trying to decide what to wear. It had been so long since she'd been on an actual date. She finally gave up looking at clothes the prior night and just went to bed.

It was now Saturday morning the day of the date, and she still didn't know what she was going to wear. She didn't know what she was getting all worked up about! It was just a casual date, nothing serious! She quickly got her keys and headed for her grandmother's apartment.

She pulled in front of her grandmother's apartment glad to have something to take her mind off of the upcoming date. She had promised to take her shopping and that would help her pass the time and take her mind off of things. Matheson told her that he would pick her up at six and that was a whole seven hours away.

She stopped at the front desk of the assisted living facility and signed in. Her grandmother was waiting for her when she knocked on her door.

"Val!" she said giving her a kiss. "Come on in. Let me get my pocketbook."

"Hi Grandma" Val replied grinning returning the kiss.

"I appreciate you taking me out" Mavis said. "I just have a few things to pick up."

Val knew that the facility supplied transportation for seniors, but her grandmother preferred her to take her to the store, and Val enjoyed the time she spent with her.

"So, what's your plans for the weekend" Mavis asked as the pulled off.

Val was quiet for a moment. "Uh, I'm going out tonight."

Mavis looked surprised and grinned broadly. "Really? That's great honey! It's about time you do something besides sitting around reading all the time! You're a cute girl! You should go out more."

She noticed that Val didn't comment and she patted her on the leg.

"So...is it a guy you're going out with or will you be hanging out with the girls?"

VaLysia cleared her throat. "It's a guy."

"That's great!" Mavis replied. "Did you meet him at work?"

Val pulled in the parking lot of the WalMart. "No...I'm going out with Matheson."

Mavis eyes got big. "Matheson! You've got to be kidding! Is that why you wanted his number? I thought you two may be planning something for my birthday at his mom's so I didn't ask any questions!"

"Well that wasn't why I was calling him...but he ended up asking me out."

Her grandmother looked upset. "Oh my, god!"

Val looked at her surprised. Suddenly she was hurt and confused. She knew her grandmother loved her, but did she also think that she was too plain of a girl to be with Matheson.

"It's not that big of a deal, Grandma." she said looking away. "I know that I'm not a beauty queen. It's just a friendly date."

Mavis grabbed her by the chin turning her to face her.

"You're a beautiful girl. What are you talking about? I'm just shocked that's all. Why in the world would you even consider going out with someone like Matheson?" Mavis said clearly upset.

"I thought you told me that his family was so great, Grandma. I thought you loved all of them and was there when they came out of the womb. You grew up with them and you raised his mother from birth! What happened to all that? Why now are you so upset about it? I don't understand." She cut the car off looking waiting for Mavis to explain.

"Look honey." Mavis replied "I love them and all, but they are white people. You are my blood, my one and only granddaughter. Now back in my day if a white man tried to get with a colored girl it was for only one thing! He didn't love or respect her. He just wanted to sleep with her back behind the house or in the barn or something. He'd marry a white girl, and sleep with the black one. She would never be more to him than his private piece of ass, excuse my French!"

Val laughed. "Times have changed, Grandma. I'm not going to be Matheson's piece of ass. You can put that in the bank for sure. Don't you trust him?"

Mavis rolled her eyes. "Look, he's a man aint he? I'd trust a man with my money before I trust him alone with my young granddaughter and that's a fact."

Val couldn't believe her grandmother's attitude. "Grandma, I'm shocked. I can't believe you're saying these things."

"I'm not just saying them, Val. I've lived them!"

She looked out the window and Val wondered what she was talking about.

"You're not telling me that you had an affair..."

"Won't no affair, honey. It was rape, pure and simple! It won't me though, it was my Mama!" She turned and looked at her granddaughter. "My mama told me my daddy was a white man. She was just fourteen years old! He was a friend of Miss Emily's grandfather. He came and stayed with them over the Christmas holidays. He saw her and he wanted her and he took what he wanted. Of course it was all hushed up and Ms. Emily's family took good care of me and all."

"Grandma!" Val whispered shocked.

Mavis patted her on the leg again. "I always kept a knife strapped to my leg. That's what my mama told me to do. I made up my mind if I was ever put in that position, he'd leave different than he came. No man was going to take from me what was mines to give freely and no man ever did. "

Val didn't know what to say. Her grandmother took on a faraway look and continued talking.

"My daddy used to come back every few years at Christmas and Emily's folks would let him stay and act like nothing ever happened. He would look at me with his cold gray eyes and smirk like he was all proud of what he done to my Mama. I was scared to death of him. I was glad when he died and that seemed to take such a burden off my Mama even though she was seemed depressed all the time and I used t wonder why.  Probably because no man wanted her after what that man done to her!."

Val was shocked. "I'm so sorry Grandma."

Mavis patted her leg again. "Nothing for you to be sorry about. You just be careful. Matheson is a good boy. I like him. But blood is thicker than water. He's Mr. Gregory's only son. I know his daddy wants him to marry white and make white babies. I know how they think and I'm sure they have some influence over Matheson. This may be a new day honey, but the old ways live on."

"So you don't think I should go out with him then?" Val asked. "I don't think he's a rapist, Grandma"

"I didn't mean it that way, Val." she said shaking her head. "I just don't think there's any future there. If you start liking him and he starts liking you, you can be sure that his daddy will step in and have his say. I don't want you to end up hurt. Matheson has been taken care of all his life. He don't know what it's like to want for anything. I don't know if he's strong enough to go against his daddy's wishes. You just keep that in mind!"

"What about Emily?" Val asked. "Do you think she feels the same way?"

"I'm not so sure about Miss Emily" Mavis replied. "She loves me like a Mama. I know that, and she's all about family. Knowing her, she might just accept it if it's what her son wants and it would make us all family for sure. But then again, she loves Mr. Gregory something fierce and she may just agree with him if it came down to that."

Val got out of the car and walked around and opened the door. "So you are telling me to step back from Matheson!"

"No, I'm telling you to be careful and to look at the whole picture." Mavis replied leaning on her cane. "Let me ask you something."

Val linked her arm in Mavis as they walked into the store.

"Ask me anything, Grandma."

Mavis leaned closer. "You still got your gift? Have you given it to any body yet?"

VaLysia felt herself blushing. Her Grandmother had always talked to her about her special gift. The one thing you should give only to the man you love and that was your virginity.

"No Grandma. I still have it" she murmured.

Mavis smiled and patted her hand. "Good. Just make sure that whoever you give it to, deserves it. Make sure he's worth it."

Val kissed her cheek. "I got you, Grandma."


Matheson was surprised when he got up at five to find his mother in the kitchen.

"You're up early" he said pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"I went to bed early last night. I had a headache" Emily replied. "I feel good today though. I'm surprised that you stayed here last night."

Matheson sat down. "I didn't feel like driving home."

Emily walked over and kissed her son. "I'm glad you did. I hardly ever get to see you anymore. You're always working!"

She noticed the manila envelope on the counter by the coffee and picked it up.

"What's this?"

"It's some pictures I copied out of the photo album. I couldn't sleep last night." he replied.

Emily took the pictures out looking at them.

"They're of Mavis and her daughter! Why are you copying these?" she asked looking at him.

Matheson didn't want to tell her about his date. "I'm getting my birthday present together for Mavis" he lied.

"That's a wonderful idea!" Emily exclaimed. "Wait a minute! I have a few more pictures in another album."

She left the kitchen and returned with an old album made of cloth and began to flip through it.

"Here's a picture of Mavis' mom and there are also a few of Mavis when she was young."

She carefully removed the pictures and handed them to him.

Matheson looked at the old sepia pictures. A dark skinned black woman stared back at him. She had a white cap on her head and she wore a black dress with a large white apron. She reminded him a lot of VaLysia.

Emily handed him another picture of the dark woman with a young white child about two clinging to her leg.

"Who's the baby?" Matheson asked.

"That's Mavis" Emily replied.

Matheson looked shocked. "She looks white in this picture!"

Emily shut the album. "Just scan them before you leave and put them back in the album."

Matheson looked at his mother. Why was she suddenly so tense? He dismissed the thought once she looked at him and her trademark smile returned.

"Alright. Let me do it now. I have to go home and change before I go in to work." he said getting up. "I'm only working a half day. Let Dad know that, please. He says I never take time off"

"Matt.."

His mother hesitated a bit looking at him.

"Valerie told me that Elliott saw you yesterday at the Crescent store."

Matheson was surprised. "Really? I didn't see him. Why didn't he say hi?"

His mother busied herself wiping off the counter. "He said you were preoccupied."

Matheson laughed. "What was I doing that kept him from coming over to talk? I swear that man has an opinion about everything."

"Well..." his mother replied looking at him. "He said you were eating with some girl and that the two of you were in a deep conversation."

She watched as Matheson turned red and looked away. "Mom really! Mr. Harris is the worst gossip! So what if I was talking to someone? I'm a grown man!"

"He says she was black!" Emily blabbered out quickly. Her voice had risen an octave.

Matheson looked at his mother. "And?"

"Is that why you haven't brought her home? Who is she? Are you two serious?" His mother's words tumbled out.

Matheson laughed again. "Mom, it was VaLysia. She came into the store for something to eat. Naturally we would talk!"

His mother looked suddenly relieved and started laughing. "You're so right! I need to stop listening to Valerie and Elliott! They're so dramatic! When I didn't know what she was talking about, they were sure you were hiding her from us or something. What a relief! "

Matheson stared at his mother as if she had two heads. What was the big deal? What if he was dating a black girl? So what? He never once heard either of his parents say anything against black people before. Maybe this was why VaLysia was so uncomfortable when she was here. Maybe she could sense something.

"Don't look at me like that Matheson! I'm not prejudiced or anything" his mother said defensively. "You can date whomever you want. I mean, just make sure she's a decent girl and not one of those ghetto black girls with fake hair and gold teeth!"

"Mom, please" Matheson replied rolling his eyes.

"You're not thinking about dating VaLysia, are you?" She looked at him, her expression guarded.

"Why? I thought you loved Mavis so much! What if I did date her?" he asked.

His mother stared at him a moment. "I mean...she seems nice enough, but we don't know anything about her! How do you know she doesn't already have a boyfriend? I mean, until the dinner, I hadn't seen her since she was a baby! I don't want you upsetting Mavis. You can get sex from any girl. I just don't want any problems."

Matheson looked at his mother as if seeing her for the first time. "What makes you think it's about sex, Mom? Do you think that if I go out with a black girl that it must be about the sex?"

"You tell me!" his mother snapped. "The way some of them dress with their tits hanging out and their navel rings and their booty shorts, what else is it about?

Matheson placed his cup in the sink. "I've got to go, Mom. Thanks for the coffee. It's been a real eye opener!"

He picked up the envelope of pictures and walked out the kitchen. He quickly copied the extra pictures and put the originals back on top of the album which was on the kitchen table. His mother was still sitting at the table sipping her coffee.

"Matheson-"

"I don't have time to talk, Mom. I've got to go" he said brushing her off.

Matheson walked out of the house fuming. He couldn't believe the conversation he had just had with his mother. Knowing her, she had already discussed this with his father. Well he was way past the age of consent and if they didn't like his decisions, then they'd just have to get over it.

He quickly got in his car and sped off, wondering if VaLysia would get the same amount of grief that he had received.

Mavis

Chapter 5 Past Hurts & Present Fire by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Val confronts Matheson.  Matheson makes a decision.

Past Hurts and Present Fire

After much debate, VaLysia decided to wear a simple white sundress and white sandals on her date with Matheson.

She looked in the mirror and smiled. She didn't have much chest so she was fine there. The dress had small spaghetti straps and she could easily wear it without a bra. She had a shawl just in case it was cool in the movie theatre.

She had her twists redone and she wore some white hoop earrings to match her outfit. She wasn't big on a lot of makeup, therefore she only added some burgundy lipstick. She checked herself again for the third time.

She thought about all that her grandmother had told her. Well she wasn't worried. Matheson most likely wasn't thinking about her like that and if he was, well she had pepper spray!

The doorbell rang and she walked downstairs and opened it. Matheson stood before her with a bouquet of yellow roses. He handed them to her.

"Friends?" he asked smiling.

"Of course" Val said taking them. "Come on in."

She took them into the kitchen and got a vase from under the cabinet. Matheson stood in the doorway and watched her as she sat the flowers on the table.

"You look nice" he said to her smiling.

His eyes roamed over her. He noticed that her dress flared out and was just above her knees with small straps that crisscrossed in the back. She had on low heeled sandals with a chain around her left ankle.

"Thanks. You look nice too" she replied.

She tried not to stare. He had on a pale blue oxford shirt and black slacks and his cologne smelled heavenly. She turned to him.

"I'm ready"

She was surprised to see a black shiny BMW convertible in front of her door.

"My, my. Is this yours?" she asked as he opened the door for her.

"Well…yes it is" he replied. "You like?"

"It's very nice. Where are we going?"

He laughed. "You'll see."

VaLysia was surprised that they went to the movies first. She hadn't eaten anything and her stomach began to growl.

"I'll be sure to buy some popcorn" Matheson said laughing. "Have you seen The Book of Eli?"

"No, I haven't been to the movies in a while" she responded.

Val watched him out of the corner of her eye as he drove. Everything her grandmother had said to her kept running through her mind. Why was he doing this? Could he really be attracted to her? Did he think that she was impressed with his money and would just be easy?  Did he ask her out because he thought black girls were easy?  She wasn't sure now what this date was about.

"I've already bought the tickets so we won't have to wait in line" he said as he parked. They went in and were able to get good seats. Matheson handed her the bucket of popcorn. "For your growling stomach" he teased.

Val was totally into the movie and didn't notice Matheson stealing glances at her. He wasn't sure how the rest of the date would go, but so far everything now was going well. He had seen a few people staring, but he didn't care. That was their problem, not his.  He thought that she looked especially pretty.

He put his arm around the back of her seat. She looked up at him and he seemed to be into the movie so she didn't say anything. His fingers brushed her shoulders lightly and she liked the warmth his arm was generating. She didn't even need her shawl.

When the movie was over, she noticed several people staring at them as they walked out of the theatre. You would think people would be used to interracial couples by now. Did she just say 'couple'. Get a grip, VaLysia she thought chastising herself.

"Matheson!"

Val turned around as well as Matheson when they heard someone call his name. Two blonde women, one older and one about their age walked up to them.

"I thought that was you!" the older woman said frowning at Val.

"Hello Mrs. Harris" Matheson replied. He looked at the young woman. "Hello Callie."

"Hi Matt" she said looking from him to Val.

"Oh, this is my friend, VaLysia" he said.

The two women stared at Val for a moment and then turned back to Matheson.

"I talked to your mother" Mrs. Harris said. "We had a very interesting conversation today." She emphasized "interesting" and glanced at Val.

"I know. She told me" he replied dryly. "I didn't realize my personal life was such an interesting topic"

The woman laughed nervously and gave him a playful pat on the arm.

"Wow! I thought you stayed so busy working, Matheson!" Callie said looking a Val again. "I always have such a hard time catching up with you. I didn't know you had time for extra curricular activities! Don't tell me things are slowing down in the store?"  She continued to glance back and forth between him and Val.

"No" he replied. "I just decided that I needed a break."

Callie stared at Val again. "Well, I hope you will keep me in mind next time you need a diversion. You know you promised to take me out on a date."

Val didn't miss her emphasizing the word date. She tried to keep her face impassive.

"I'll keep that in mind" he replied cooly. "Now if you'll excuse me, we have somewhere else we need to be."

He grabbed Val's arm and headed for the exit door.

"What was that all about?" Val asked after he pulled off. "They were looking at me like I was a piece of trash off the sidewalk. Are they friends of yours?"

"No!" he snapped. "They are friends of my parents."

"Even Callie?"

Matheson grinned. Was she jealous? Why did the thought of that please him so much?

"No, Callie is the daughter that they have been trying to get me to take out since we were both in middle school. I'm not interested in her that way, but she keeps on trying to wear me down."

"She's very pretty." Val replied unconvinced.

"Not my type." Matheson responded.

VaLysia stared out the car window. If she wasn't such a big chicken, she'd ask him about his type. Why wouldn't a beauty queen like Callie not be his type?

"I hope you like steak" he said as he pulled into the restaurant parking lot.

"I love steak" she replied eagerly. "I'm starved."

"Good. Then you'll love Cagneys" he replied.

Val was impressed as they walked in and was led to a table with candles. She thought that it was very romantic. She sat across from him and thought that he was so handsome. She glanced around the room and then back at him. He was watching her and she felt herself blush under his stare.

They quickly ordered and she was fascinated as Matheson told her about his habit of critiquing restaurants.

"It's a habit I picked up while in Culinary School." he said. "I always check the place settings, the order in which they take our orders, and the service. We were taught the right way to do things and I always compare what I was taught with what I see happen."

Val was enjoying the evening more than she thought possible. Matheson was interesting and funny. They shared stories of Mavis and how she had affected each of their lives. They found that they had a lot in common including their love of chocolate and late night snacks. Before she knew it, Matheson was paying the bill and he was leading her back to the car.

"I have a surprise for you." he said once he got in. "I forgot and left it at home so we'll have to run by my apartment."

VaLysia was immediately apprehensive. Thoughts of what her grandmother had told her ran through her mind and she wondered if he was just trying to get her there for another reason. Well she had her pepper spray just in case!

Matheson pulled up to his apartment building and quickly came around and opened the door. Val tried not to appear tense and watched his movements as he walked into the apartment and threw his keys on a nearby table once they were inside.

"Have a seat. I'll be right back" he said taking the stairs two at a time. Val watched as he ran up them and then turned and looked around. The apartment hardly looked lived in. The walls were bare and there was only a sofa and chair in the living room with a lamp beside the sofa. She walked around and was about to go into the kitchen when she heard him coming back down stairs.

He walked over to the sofa and with his hand behind his back. He was grinning impishly like a little boy.

Matheson sat on the sofa and patted a place beside him for her to sit down.

She sat down leaving a large space between them.

"Here you go" he said handing her a gift bag that he had behind his back.

VaLysia took the bag and pulled out a small photo album. She opened it up and saw an old picture of a black woman with a young white child by her side. She flipped the pages and saw the woman and the child again and then she came to the picture of her grandmother when she was younger with her mother standing beside her. She looked at Matheson who was grinning.

"Where did you get these?" she asked surprised.

"From my family's album" he said turning back the pages. "I made copies for you. I hope you like it."

"This is Mavis' mother" he said pointing to the dark woman. "And this is Mavis! Can you believe it? I thought it was one of my relatives at first. Here's a picture of your mom and Mavis. There's even a picture of your mother and father with you in the belly!"

He looked at her when she wasn't responding and was surprised to see tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong, VaLysia" he asked surprised.

"Why?" she asked looking at him. "Why are you doing this?"

Matheson was confused. "What do you mean?"

"Why are you being so nice to me...buying flowers...taking me to dinner...giving me this? I need you to be honest with me Matheson." He watched as the tears ran down her face. Why did you go through all this trouble?  It's not as if you like me or anything? Tonight was so nice...but I need to know your real motives. Just be honest with me please!

He stared at her not understanding what she meant. "I...I want us to get along. I haven't been out in a while...I wanted to have a nice pleasant evening. I wanted to make up for that first day when we met."

He watched as VaLysia wiped her eyes and looked away.  Did people do all he had done for her and call it just a friendly date?  Was he expecting something from her?  Would he ruin the best date she'd had in months by pressuring her for sex?

"My grandmother told me that when a white man takes you out, he wants more than just a pleasant evening, especially one of your means. I know I'm not a beauty, Matheson. Are you looking for some sort of payback for tonight? Is this about sex?"

Matheson was stunned. Of all people, he never would have thought Mavis would say such a thing! She had known him all his life! How could she tell her granddaughter that type of thing?

"I can't believe that Mavis would think that I was some type of degenerate!" he snapped. "All this time I thought she cared about me. I thought she knew me! You're telling me that when it comes to taking you out, all she sees is the color of my skin? I bet she wouldn't have thought twice about you going out with a black man who was a complete stranger! She took care of me, bathed me, fed me. I thought she loved me and now I find out that it was just a job to her! I'm just another no good white person trying to ravish her granddaughter! My parents are bad enough with their prejudices, and now I find out she's not much better!"

He jumped up off the sofa, clearly offended and Val got up and followed him.

"I don't think it's like that Matheson! She's told me several times that she loves you. She doesn't think you're a bad person."

He looked at her in disbelief. "Yeah, right!"

"Matheson, she has her issues but I know she loves you. Her own mother was raped by one of your great grandfather's friends right there in the house! She was only fourteen years old. That's why Grandma is so much lighter than her mother. She's half white! Your family knew and did nothing about it."

Matheson stared at her. "You mean Mavis could be kin to me?"

"No, Grandma said that her mother told her that the man was a friend of your great grandfather that came to stay at Christmas. He continued to come and stay there even after my grandmother was born. Your family just hushed it over. That's why my grandmother is so leery about interracial dating. It's not because of you. I guess me telling her that we were going out, sparked old memories or something."

He sat back on the sofa and picked up the album staring at the pictures. She sat down beside him. He flipped through the album again as if looking at it for the very first time.

"Seeing those pictures kind of freaked me out since I had just had the conversation with Grandma today about her mother."

He looked at her. "I didn't ask you up here for sex, VaLysia"

"I realize that now" she replied. "It's been a wonderful evening. Let's not let it end on a bad note."

She smiled at him and he returned her smile. "You have a beautiful smile. You look like Mavis' mother, you know."

She looked back at the album in his hand. "I guess I can see now where I get my dark complexion. My other grandmother used to always call me the mailman's child. She was so mean to me."

Matheson was surprised. "Why? Because you are dark? That doesn't make sense!"

"Well it's a thing in the black community. Some people are color struck. My mother is light and so was my father. I wasn't supposed to come out dark. I was a great disappointment to her."

"That's crazy!" Matheson said.

"That's the way it is" Val said taking the album from his hands. "Other than you, my parents and my grandmother, no one else has ever called me beautiful. It's always about me being too black and my big lips and my kinky hair."

Matheson could hear the pain in her voice and he reached over and pulled her to him.

"I like your dark skin and your hair...and especially your lips." he murmured.

"As I can recall, you didn't like me when you first laid eyes on me" she teased.

"You've grown on me...you've helped me see more than the outer shell of a person" he confessed. "Tonight was the best date I've had in a very long time. I know that I don't want tonight to be our last date. I hope you feel the same way."

She stared at him not knowing what to say. His eyes reminded her of a beautiful ocean on a summer's day. He leaned over and kissed her, pulling her to him. Val's mind was in a whirl as his tongue danced with hers igniting a fire within her. Never had she been kissed like this. Never had she felt like this before. She broke the kiss and stared at him trying to decide if this was really happening or if she was dreaming.

"You're beautiful too" she said touching his face. She pushed his blond hair back from his face and his ocean eyes seemed to hypnotize her. She touched his pointed narrow nose and his thin pink lips. She was amazed at the contrast between his pale skin and her hand. He kissed her fingers as she ran them across his lips which sent shivers over her.

He kissed her again, pulling her down on top of him as he fell back on the sofa. Warning bells were going off in her head, but they became background noise as the music from the dancing of their tongues together overrode her inhibitions. She felt like she was floating over a field of fire. His scent invaded her nostrils and she felt his maleness hard against her stomach which excited and scared her at the same time. She felt his hand under her dress and he was caressing her bottom and the warning bells grew louder causing her to focus through the haze of desire that was overwhelming her.

She quickly broke the kiss and sat up trying to get herself together.

"Look Matheson" she said shakily clearing her throat. "I don't know how to be anything but direct. I'm not a diplomat, so please don't be offended. I like you. I really do. Tonight was great. We had a wonderful time."

"I hear a but in there somewhere" he replied watching her.

"I'm just being a realist. " she said. "I want you to know that up front. Nothing is going to happen between us. I want to be in love when I decide to have sex...and Matheson, I've never been in love."

He stared at her a moment shocked. "Never?"

"No, never."

"You mean you're still a virgin?" he asked in disbelief.

She stood up and straightened her clothes.

"Look" she said turning to him. "You are an only child, the heir of Hannah's. There are certain expectations your family has of you. We both know that I'm not an acceptable choice for you. We need to let it go and just be friends."

"Don't I have a say?" he shot back. "Don't I deserve to be happy?"

Val picked up the album and her purse and didn't reply.

"Look" he said standing up. "I enjoyed tonight too. It was great. I haven't been out in a long time and things turned out better than I had even hoped. I like you too. Why should we limit ourselves because of the dysfunction in our families? There's prejudice on both sides of the aisle here but do we let them sink the ship before the iceberg even hits?"

He came over to her.

"I've never met anyone like you before. I've never really been in love either. I've gone out, but Hannah's has always been there and the responsibility has always overshadowed everything else. I can't live like that forever. I want something more than just the business and I need something more than just casual sex."

"I know you probably have plenty of women-"

He laughed. "Where are they? You mean Callie? I won't let someone else choose for me. I make my own choices. No, I haven't slept with Callie if that's what you're thinking. I haven't slept with anyone in over a year. It's the harsh reality of all work and no play."

He pulled her into his arms. "But I'm tired, Val. I'm so tired of just working and just existing and just getting the relief I need in a shower stall all alone. I need something more. Until tonight, I wasn't sure if that was even possible. I didn't expect to feel this way, but now that I do I 'm not content to just back away. Talking to you, I realized just how much we have in common and I was attracted to you even when we were fighting in the music room.  Am I not supposed to pursue you because you're black? Why can't we continue to go out and see where this leads?"

She looked at him surprised. "You must get plenty of offers, Matheson. I mean you're gorgeous! You have everything a girl could want from a man, it seems. You have the looks and the money!  What could I possibly offer you?"

He laughed bitterly looking at her.

"Looks and money can be a two edged sword. Women see money when they hear about Hannah's and they see stud when they give me the once over. They have their expectations. It's not about me as a person. It's about fulfilling their fantasy. It's about buy me this or buy me that. It's about the expectation of fantastic sex even when you've worked like a dog for sixteen hours. Working as much as I do, well...I can't always be the man they expect. I can't give them the attention they require and I don't always have the stamina they demand. I decided a year ago just to put relationships on the backburner for a while."

Val was surprised at his confession. She knew he must work long hours and she could sympathize with his dilemma.

"Are you saying that you have problems in the area of...you know performance?" Val asked. "I mean...it didn't seem that way a few minutes ago."

"What I meant was that you're being a virgin is a relief of sorts for me. There won't be any pressure from you towards me in that area. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a normal male with normal urges, but when you work as much as I do with the stress that comes with running a business, there can be issues from time to time and some women are just not so understanding of that. They don't want to hear that you're too tired."

He laughed to himself and looked at her shaking his head.

"I can't believe I'm telling you all this! I guess you're just easy to talk to."

He walked over to her and put his arm around her.

"I want to see you again." he said. "Though right now with my schedule I'm not sure when that will be. It may not be until your grandmother's birthday."

Val smiled. She couldn't believe the turn of events. He wanted to see her again! He said that he was attracted to her!

"What will your parents think?" she asked smiling. "They may not like you seeing me, you know."

"I could care less." he replied kissing her again. "I have put all of myself into the business and in helping my father succeed. It's time that I do something for myself. "

He looked at her and smiled. "I'll handle my parents. You just handle Mavis."

roses

Chapter 6 Facing the Truth by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Mavis summons Matheson.  Val is confronted by cousin Tameka!

Facing the Truth

It was Sunday, the only day that Matheson got to sleep in a little. Hannah's downtown was closed and he didn't have to cover at any other store for once! Finally, a full day off. He couldn't remember the last time he had a full day off.

Since their date two weeks earlier, he found himself calling VaLysia every night after he took his shower and climbed into bed. He would lie there in the dark and talk to her. Sometimes it was late, after midnight and he knew they both had to get up and go to work, but they still did it anyway. It was wonderful to talk to a girl that didn't make demands on him for either sex or material items.

He hadn't faced his parents yet. She was braver than he was and told him that she had talked to Mavis and told her that they were going to continue to see each other. Since he had the day off, he planned on calling her and ask her out to dinner. It was one week before Mavis birthday and the two of them needed to talk about plans for that day and dealing with Mavis and his parents. He made up his mind that he would talk to his parents before Mavis birthday.

He turned over and looked at the clock. It was after six in the morning. He was used to early hours having to get up at five every morning, but it felt good just to lie in the bed and not have to get up. He was surprised when he heard his cell go off and he reached over and fumbled for it.

He looked at the number and while it looked slightly familiar, he didn't know who it was.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Matheson" the female voice said on the other end.

"Hi" he said trying to figure out who it was.

"This is Mavis."

"Mavis?" He was surprised. "Is Val alright?"

"I guess she's fine, boy" Mavis said laughing.

"How'd you get my number?" He didn't want to sound rude, but he knew that's how it came out.

"From your Mama, of course!" she replied laughing. "You're not going to block my number now are you Matheson?"

There was a time that he would have joked with Mavis. However since Val told him what her grandmother said, he felt as if she was a stranger. He was still hurt by her words more than he cared to admit.

"Matheson, I was praying this morning you know" Mavis said when he didn't respond.

Matheson rubbed his eyes wondering where this was going.

"God told me that you're upset with me and that I have to make it right." Mavis continued.

"I'm not upset with you" he lied.

"Don't lie to me, Matheson" she scolded.

He didn't know what to say.

"Look" Mavis said after a long pause on the phone. "I want you to come and get me. We're going to church today like we used to when you were small."

Matheson sat up in the bed. "Church? This is my first day off in months, Mavis! I'm not going to church."

"Matheson, remember how I took you to the altar and you cried and cried because you said that Jesus touched you when I took you down front of the church?"

"Mavis, I was six years old!"

"So you telling me you lied?"

"I didn't lie. That's what I thought…what I felt at the time."

"Well, come and go with me today. I need to see you. I need to talk to you about you and Val."

Matheson paused. What was she going to tell him, that she didn't want her granddaughter with a white boy? He didn't want to hear that!

"Please, baby" Mavis cood in the phone like she did when he was small and trying to persuade him.

Matheson sighed. He still cared deeply for Mavis despite what she'd said.

"You hurt my feelings by what you said to Val" he replied. "I don't know if I want to go to church with you."

"That's the best place to go and get things right" Mavis replied. "I want to explain a few things to you. Don't you want to know the truth?"

Matheson sat up on the side of the bed. "Alright, Mavis. What time?"

He didn't know why he agreed to do as she asked. She didn't deserve his respect after what she'd said to VaLysia, but a part of him was curious. Maybe she wanted to apologize. Maybe she wanted to tell him that she was wrong with her assessment of him.

He quickly got ready. He told her that he would pick her up at nine for breakfast and then they would go to church at eleven. He drove to the assisted living home where she lived. He quickly signed in and walked up to her apartment. She opened the door dressed in a pink suit with a matching pink hat with a pink feather. She looked like the typical church lady.

"Morning, Baby'" Mavis said grinning as if there was nothing wrong.

"Morning" he said sourly.

She made him bend down so that she could kiss his cheek. He accepted it and looked away.

"Sit down" she said leading him to a nearby chair.

"I thought we were going out for breakfast." He replied looking at his watch.

"No, I ate some oatmeal this morning early" Mavis said looking at him.

"I know you're upset with me."

Matheson didn't reply but sat down as she instructed.

She smiled at him. "I prayed for you this morning and the Lord told me to get it right so I got you here to talk to you."

Matheson sat back in the chair and crossed his legs. She then sat directly in front of him on the sofa.

"Look Mavis. I think I understand. VaLysia told me what happened with your Mama and all. I just felt that you should have known I'm not like that!"

"Baby, how was I supposed to know what you're like with women?"

He sat up in the chair and leaned forward getting closer to her.

"You practically raised me! I would think you would have some judgment of my character!"

Mavis shook her head. "You still a baby. You don't know what the real world is like, Matheson. How would I know how you'll act when the pressure comes on you for being with Val."

"I'm not a baby, Mavis" he snapped. "I've been a man for a while now."

"What you want with VaLysia?" she asked bluntly.

He stared at her. "I don't want her for just sex if that's what you mean!"

"You're telling me that you are serious about my granddaughter?" Mavis pressed.

"I like her. I want to see her again. We're going to see where it goes" he replied.

"What will you father say?" Mavis asked. "He won't like it."

"I don't care what he says…or Mom either" Matheson replied.

"Matheson you are still mad with me, I can tell." Mavis said. "Let me ask you a question. If you took your Mama to your friend's house and someone totally disrespect her, would you take her back again?"

"Of course not" Matheson replied. "Not unless they apologized."

Mavis stared at him a moment.

"Your family allowed my Mama to be raped and they turned their heads. Then afterwards they let the rapist come back again and again. He'd go to my Mama's room even when I was small and get what he wanted from her and they didn't lift a finger to help her. She had nowhere else to go. I would hide in the corner and listen to him on top of her and listen to her cry afterwards. Then she'd have to get up and serve him breakfast. I was scared to death of him because he always made my mother cry. He never left her alone for as long as he was alive. Now answer me a question, Matheson. Why do you think I stayed there in that house after I was old enought to leave?"

Matheson stared at her in disbelief. "I have no idea."

"Would you have stayed? Would you have forgiven them?" she asked.

"Probably not." He admitted.

"I wanted to leave that house after my Mama died. I had made up my mind to leave but Ms. Trudy, your grandma was expecting your mama and pleaded with me to stay on. She was a nice woman…good to me. A couple of times she sent my Mama and me away at Christmas to stay with her brother to help him so Mama wouldn't have to suffer that man's attentions. Her Papa and her would get in awful fights about it. She paid me top dollar not to leave. I was so angry about what happened to my mother. No colored man wanted Mama because of my daddy. Everybody knew her shame."

Mavis got up and walked over to him.

"When your Mama was born, I took care of her. Miss Trudy was sick and she died asking me to take care of her baby and not to leave her. Your Mama was only six months old at the time. I promised Miss. Trudy on her deathbed not to leave your Mama and I kept my promise. Every time your mother was sick and she was a sickly baby, or if she cried too much, your grandfather would smack me in the face hard and tell me to do better. I hated him, but I did love your mother and I had loved Miss Trudy so I put up with it. Your grandfather died when your Mama was ten and I've been there with her ever since. The Lord always works things out."

Matheson looked at her and shook his head. "You must hate us, don't you?"

"No I don't. Now you can understand why I am concerned about you being with my baby. I just didn't know how you really would be towards her. I've put up with a lot from your people, Matheson. How do I know who you took after, whose ways you have?"

"I'm not like them, Mavis. I'm my own person" he said. "I'm sorry what happened to you, but it's not my fault. "

"I'm not blaming you." Mavis replied. "I just wanted you to understand my side. I don't hold nothing against you."

She stood up. "Come on. It's time to go."

Matheson didn't know what to say. He was quiet when he pulled off. He couldn't understand why Mavis was so calm about everything that had happened to her.

"Does my mother know about all this stuff?" he asked.

"I don't know. I didn't tell her" Mavis responded. "I don't want you to carry this stuff either. I only told you so you'd understand."

"Understand what?" Matheson said. "How am I supposed to feel? You just told me that my family, my blood kin were a horrible bunch of human beings!"

"I didn't say that." Mavis replied. "Look let me explain it another way. Let's say that there's this man that is a good Christian man and he has to go on a ship to get some goods from another country. His family kisses him goodbye and he gets on his knees and prays to God and asks God to bless his trip and help him get the goods he needs to feed his family. He asks God to bless his efforts. Tell me Matheson, what's wrong with that?"

"Nothing I guess" he replied.

"Alright" Mavis continued. "What if there's another man that has a family and he goes out to go to work and he kisses his family goodbye. On his way to work he is kidnapped and taken against his will on a ship and he's there all scared and he prays to God that he will be able to escape and return to his family. What's wrong with that? Should God answer his prayer or should God answer the other man's prayer."

Matheson glanced at her as he drove along "Why can't God answer both of their prayers?" he asked. "God should answer both of their prayers."

Mavis looked at him and patted him on the leg. "That's not possible, Matheson. Because the first man is a slave trader and the second man is an African that was captured. So you see, everybody has their point of view. It's not always cut and dry. I can't be mad at your whole family, because some of them have been good to me. That's why I stayed. But when you wanted to court my granddaughter, I wasn't really sure of what your intentions were. Now do you understand?"

Matheson pulled into the church's parking lot. He turned and looked at her. "I don't know what to say, Mavis"

"Say that you're going to do the right thing by my granddaughter. Give me your word as a gentleman and I'll believe you because you are the grandson of Trudy Matheson and the son of Emily Matheson.

Matheson leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. "You have my word as a gentleman" he promised.


VaLysia got up Sunday morning and decided to go to the gym. Normally she would take her grandmother to church, but her grandmother called and told her that she was hanging out with friends. That was fine with her.

Matheson called her every night before he went to bed and he told her the night before that he had the day off. She couldn't believe it! It had been two weeks since their date and he promised to call her that afternoon.

She thought about their date often as well as what happened afterwards. She found herself thinking about him all the time...and remembering his kisses and caresses. She forced herself to workout an entire hour and left the gym feeling rejuvenated.

She decided to stop at the WalMart on her way home and pick up a few items in order to make her lunch for the upcoming week. She hoped that she could just run in and out of there. She wanted to get home and shower and relax until Matheson called.

On her way back to her car after making her purchases, she heard someone calling her.

"VaLysia!"

She turned around to look and see who was calling her and was filled with dread when she saw her uppity and mouthy cousin Tameka. Tameka was tall and slim with light brown eyes and long shoulder length hair. She was a beautiful girl and wore a lot of makeup, even to WalMart apparently. Tameka was her father's sister's child. She had perfect caramel colored skin and a full bosom. She walked up to VaLysia extending a long nailed hand.

"I thought that was you, Cuz." she said laughing.

"Hi, Tameka" Val said popping the trunk of her car.

"Just coming from the gym I assume" Tameka said looking at her outfit. "You know you can shower and change there and put on some decent clothes don't you?"

"I chose not to do that, Tameka" she replied slamming the trunk.

"You talked to Nana lately."

Nana was her father's mother.

"No. I don't talk to her, Tameka."

Tameka laughed. "You ought not to be like that, Cuz. She is after all your grandmother. You got to have a thick skin. You know she's old and set in her ways."

"Yeah, but you're not the one that keeps being called 'mailman's baby' either" Val replied.

"Look, she knows you're family. She's just kidding." Tameka replied. "Besides, she hasn't called you that in ages!"

VaLysia didn't reply but walked around to the drivers side door and opened it.

"Look, I saw you the other day when I was coming out of the nail salon. You were going down Federation street." Tameka said giving her a fake grin.

VaLysia didn't remember what she was talking about.

Seeing her confusion Tameka continued. "You were in a black beemer, girlfriend with this white dude."

Val didn't reply but Tameka knew by her expression that she now knew what she was talking about.

"So...who is he? Is he your boyfriend or something?"

"He's a friend, Tameka." she replied patiently.

"Girl, you don't have to be all shy about it. He was cute and driving that car I know he got money! I told Grandma all about it, Chile you should have seen her face! You know what she said?"

"I can just imagine" Val said dryly.

"She said, "You know Val and a white boy would make some pretty babies." Ain't that funny?" Tameka laughed and Val crossed her arms across her chest.

Tameka continued talking when Val didn't respond to her comment.

"You know, I followed you to see where he was taking you." She appeared a little embarrased at her confession. She then looked at Val and gave another fake grin. "I mean, I just wanted to be sure that he was on the up and up"

Sure you did, nosy heifer! Val thought to herself. Her cousin could be irritating at times.

"So I saw he stopped at Cagney's. My my...that's a nice restaurant. The prices are pretty high there. Girl you must be giving some pretty good head to get a man like that."

You would think so, skank Val thought eying the outfit she had on.

"Then you know me...being curious and all...I kinda wrote down the license number of the beemer...you know just to see if it was his or a rental and I have connections at the DMV."

"Oh really" was all Val could say.

I ought to smack you like you stole something! Val thought to herself.

"Anyway imagine my surprise when I found out that the man driving was Matheson Hendricks. I googled him and found out he's the heir to the Hannah's Bakery. I said to myself, my little cousin has hit it big! I told Nana too. She was really impressed."

"I gotta go!" Val said opening the car door. She didn't want to hear anymore.

"Look, you gotta go see Nana. I mean she is after all still your grandmother." Tameka said.

"I'll think about it." Val replied.

"Look, I know you think that she was hard on you because you're the darkest one in the family...the black sheep so to speak" she giggled at her own joke. "But hey, let bygones be bygones."

"She kept telling my father that my mother cheated and that I wasn't his" Val hissed. "I don't have anything to say to her!"

"Yeah, but the DNA test you and your father took proved that you were his." Tameka insisted. "Let it go!"

"I should never have had to take it in the first place." Val spat. "Papa did it to shut her up! He always knew I was his. Even that didn't satisfy her. She then said to my face that it must have been some sort of freak accident of birth me being dark. She all but called me a birth defect!"

"Cuz-"

"Look Tameka, I gotta go." she replied cutting her off and slamming the car door after she got in. She quickly started the engine and sped out of the parking lot leaving her cousin standing there with that stupid grin on her face!

Tameka Chamberlayne

Chapter 7 Facing the Flack by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson and Val encounter racism in a restaurant!  Matheson pushes Val's boundaries!

Facing the Flack

Matheson enjoyed his morning at church with Mavis. It brought back a lot of happy memories from his childhood. He was surprised that so many people remembered him. He had attended church with Mavis up until he was a teenager when at that time he felt that it wasn't cool to go with her anymore.

He was happy that he had her blessing. He now understood her point of view as she explained it to him. He marveled that she was so trusting and forgiving. He had given his word as a gentleman that he would show her granddaughter the utmost respect. He knew that was the highest form of a promise. Giving your word was a big deal. Giving your word was mortgaging your family's name and honor. He had no intention of letting Mavis down.

He took Mavis home and called Val and invited her to dinner. He then went straight to her apartment.

"I hope you're hungry" he said smiling. "Because I'm famished!"

"Yeah, I've had a busy morning" she replied. "It's my turn to pick. We're going to Mama D's for lunch. I've already made the reservations because they are packed all the time, especially on Sunday."

"I've never been there" he confessed. His eyes roamed over her. She had on a printed brown and black skirt with a black blouse. The skirt had gold fleck throughout it and she had on gold sandals to match. He wanted her. He could hardly think of anything else. Having the day off didn't help. He was energized where often he was tired. Somehow knowing that there would be no pressure from her for sex, made him desire her all the more. His libido was in overdrive, something that hadn't happened in months.

"Well let's go then" she said picking up her purse. He watched the sway of her hips. Damn!

She walked towards her car which surprised him.

"I'm not driving?" he asked looking at her.

"Nope! You're riding and the dinner's on me this time" she said smiling.

Matheson was surprised. No woman he had ever dealt with turned down riding in his car before. He climbed into her Honda and laid the seat back.

"I could get used to this" he replied laughing.

It took them about fifteen minutes to arrive at Mama D's and then they had to find a parking space because the place was packed.

They finally got a break when someone else was pulling out and Val quickly pulled in the space. They could hear the jazz music when they got to the door. Val quickly told them that she had a reservation and they were led to a small table with a good view of the band.

"This place seems nice" Matheson replied. He looked around and noticed that besides himself, there was only one other white person there. He saw several black men staring at him from the bar and he ignored them.

"What's good here?" he asked looking at VaLysia.

"Everything!" she giggled.

Matheson looked at the menu. "I see they have a broiled seafood platter. I may just get that."

"It's good!" Val replied. "I may just get the salmon"

They quickly gave their order and sipped the wine Val ordered. Matheson could feel the stares and the faces that were watching them were far from friendly. He decided to ignore them.

Matheson looked across the table at Val. "We seem to be attracting a bit of attention. "

"Who cares?" Val replied. "Let them stare. Does it bother you?"

"Not really. I just don't understand their beef. I've seen plenty of black guys with white women." Matheson replied.

Their meal arrived and Matheson had to admit that it was quite good. He told Val about his day that he spent with her grandmother and how she got him to give her his word as a gentleman that he'd do right by her. He talked about his visit to church and the people that he saw that he hadn't seen since he was a teenager. He laughed as he told her that Mavis told everyone that he was courting her granddaughter.

"We're alright now, Mavis and I." Matheson said. "We have her blessing. Now I just have to convince my parents. I doubt if they will be as easy as Mavis."

"You never know" Val replied. "They may surprise you."

Matheson reached across the table and took her hand. "I'm happier now than I've been in a long time, Val. I hope they accept us but if they don't, well then they don't. I can't help how they feel. May days seem to go better even though I have less sleep from talking to you an hour on the phone each night."

VaLysia smiled not knowing what to say at his confession. She was glad because she was getting used to his attentions. Even his voice aroused her as she talked to him on the phone. She'd close her eyes and pretend that he was right there in bed beside her. She blushed thinking about it.

The check came and Val picked it up and reached in her bag and gave the waiter her credit card. The waiter paused and looked at Matheson and then walked off.

"I have to run to the lady's room. I'll be right back" Val said getting up.

Matheson sipped his drink and the waiter came back and laid the receipt on the table for Val to sign. He gave Matheson a sidelong glance and then walked off.

One of the men at the bar walked over to his table. He looked to be about his parent's age and he stopped and crossed his arms across his chest in front of Matheson.

"So…you got you a sugar baby, huh?" the tall stocky black man said to Matheson. "You got some stupid black woman paying your way, white boy?"

Matheson looked up surprised. "I beg your pardon?"

"You heard me, boy" the man said. He glanced back at the bar and two other men nodded in agreement.

Matheson stood up. "First of all, I don't know you. You don't know me. I think you need to mind your business." He then glanced angrily over at the men at the bar.

Just then Val walked up on the two of them. She wondered what was going on and why everyone was staring.

"What's going on Matheson?" she said standing between him and the man.

The black man looked at her. "I'm talking about you, sellout. Why you paying this man's way? You're a disgrace to your race."

"Now wait a minute!" Matheson snapped angrily stepping in front of Val and facing the man.

Just then the waiter came rushing over. He pushed the man away and faced Matheson.

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave!" he said looking at Matheson.

"He came over to our table, he's the one that needs to leave" Val snapped to the waiter. "My friend hasn't done anything wrong!"

"Ma'am I'll call the police if necessary" the waiter replied looking from her to Matheson. "This is a nice family business with a quiet atmosphere. We don't want any trouble."

"And we don't either" Matheson snapped. "If we have to leave, then he should leave too and I'll tell the police the same thing, so go ahead and call them right now!"

The waiter looked around. "Sir, please. We don't want any trouble!"

"Val, lets go" Matheson replied angrily.

Val quickly signed the receipt and Matheson put his arms around her and walked out. Everybody's eyes were on them.

Matheson had never experienced prejudice before. He was seething as he walked to the car. He wanted to punch that guy out.

"I guess letting you pay for dinner was a bad idea." Matheson said as she pulled off.

"No, coming here was a bad idea" she snapped. "This will be the last time for me."

"Is it always going to be like this for us" he asked.

"I don't know, but that's not stopping me!" she replied. "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission. Thank you Eleanor Roosevelt!"

Matheson smiled. "At least the food was good."

They returned to her apartment. It was still early. Matheson checked his watch. It was only 4 pm.

"Well you want to bat a thousand and go over to my parent's house so that we can give them the good news" he ventured. "It can't be much worse than what just happened at the restaurant."

His eyes were on her as she walked across the room and sat her bag on the table. She bent over the table and sniffed the yellow roses he had brought her that day exposing an ample amount of leg. Matheson felt the blood rush south and he looked away.

She walked over to him as he sat on the sofa. "What do you want to do?" she asked grinning.

He pulled her to him and she ended up on his lap. He kissed her, his tongue seeking hers. VaLysia felt herself responding. He had a way of igniting a fire in her belly with his kisses. She felt his hand on her breast and the fire began to roar.

Matheson had planned only to kiss her, but by doing so the floodgates had opened. His hand strayed to her breast, which fit perfectly in his hand. He reached inside her bra and caressed it. Her nipple was already hard and he was surprised at the size of it. She had large nipples. His mouth watered for a taste.

Val pulled away from him and he leaned forward following her which causing her to fall back on the sofa. He covered her mouth with his.

"Val...oh god, I want you so bad" he murmured into her neck. "It's been so long..."

His voice trailed off and she could feel him hard against her leg. She didn't know how it happened, but her top was undone and so was her bra and he was kissing her breasts and she wanted to tell him to stop...that they had to stop but she couldn't say the words. All she could do was moan. She found her hands in his hair; his mouth went from one breast to the other.

"So beautiful...so sexy" he was saying to her though the haze of fire he had created.

His lips traveled back and forth over each breast and she felt his hand moved up her thigh. The warning bells were going off again. He reached her panties and she was slightly embarrassed because she was so wet. She broke the kiss. This had to stop before they went too far.

"Matheson…"

She couldn't think straight. His fingers were dancing over her center lightly making it ache in a way that it never had before. She looked into his ocean eyes and saw his hunger which made her wetter still.

"Hmmm" he said returning to her lips kissing her again. She felt her thighs part of their own accord and his fingers increased the pressure and he slipped them in the side of her underwear. She had never let a man touch her like this before.

A part of Matheson waited for her to slap his face or push him off of her. He knew that he should stop, but he couldn't help himself. He had never wanted a woman like he wanted Val. Her center was dripping and he could smell her heat. He brushed his fingers over her panties and she was so wet and so ready. He pushed the boundaries further and slipped his hand inside her panties. She had a lot of hair and he ran his fingers over it. The other women he had been with all shaved. He thought this was so sexy. He rubbed her clit and she moaned which made him shiver. He slipped one finger into her tight opening and felt the resistance when he attempted two. Her virginity intoxicated him. He would be the first and only one. She was his alone. No one else would have her.

He felt a freedom with her that he'd never before experienced. He didn't have to worry about comparisons being made. She was so fresh and so sweet. He wanted more. He had to have more. The desire to taste her sweetness was overwhelming. He could smell her arousal and his nostrils flared and he ached for her more than he ever had for any woman before her.

"Matheson" she gasped. "I…I'm sorry"

"About what?" he whispered

"I think you should stop" she replied. "I've never let anyone touch me like this before"

He looked at her and sat up releasing her.

"I consider it an honor" he murmured.

He brought his fingers to his lips and closed his eyes. She watched as he put them in his mouth. He licked them like he was eating some rare delicacy, like he was sipping a fine wine. She was embarrassed and intrigued at the same time.

He looked at her watching him and smiled.

"I'm willing to wait until you're ready, Val. I'm in no hurry. I want things to be right, perfect for you. You're going to be mine. I'm already so obsessed with you. I can't stop thinking about you and I know it's only been a couple of weeks that we've been together. I think of you as my woman and I think of myself as your man. Do you think I'm crazy?"

"No."

He was looking at her his face now close to hers as she lay there with her legs still apart unladylike. She couldn't move. Her center was throbbing with the need he had aroused as she got lost in the depths of the ocean eyes he was watching her with.

"No. I feel the same way" she confessed. She attempted to close her legs, but he pushed them apart and leaned down bringing his face close to hers.

"Let me kiss you" he whispered, his voice husky. "Can I kiss you, VaLysia?"

"Yes" she replied waiting with anticipation for his lips to meet hers. He surprised her, however as he lifted her skirt and pushed aside her underwear and she felt his tongue on her. Her body bucked up involuntarily as his actions were totally unexpected.

"Matheson!" she gasped.

He then quickly pulled down her underwear tossing them aside and she was lost, his tongue was hot and wet sending her over the edge. She felt his fingers digging into her buttocks and she heard herself screaming his name over and over again. The spasms that resulted from his oral pleasing left her aching when he finally stopped and covered her lips with his and she could taste herself on them.

"I love you already, VaLysia" he murmured. "You taste like sunshine and salt water taffy. I'm hooked. I know that there's no one else for me. You'll never get rid of me now."

Val didn't know what to say. She was half naked and aching for more, but she knew that she wasn't on any birth control. She had to keep a level head. It had only been three weeks! How could she lose control like that?

She touched him there through his pants. He was hard. "What about you?"

"Don't worry about me." He said. "I can wait until you're ready."

"I have to get on birth control first, Matheson" she said pushing him back and sitting up.

"I have condoms in my wallet." He replied watching her straighten her clothes.

"I don't want you to use condoms" she replied.

"What?" he asked shocked. He had never made love without a condom!

"If we love each other and we trust each other and I'm on birth control there's no need. " she replied. "When I give myself, my gift I don't want condoms between us. Condoms are for people who are not sure of themselves or their partners. They don't know what they've picked up to give to someone else and they don't know what they'll catch. I haven't been with a man before. You say it's been a year, so I'm going to ask you to go and get a checkup Matheson and bring me back the results before we make love. I want to go into this with a clean bill of health on both sides and with a mutual promise of fidelity."

Matheson stared at her.

"I've never had sex without a condom, Val. It's not safe!" he protested.

"Are you saying I'm not safe?" she asked putting on her underwear. You just stuck your head between my legs and licked all my bodily fluids. Are you saying you don't trust me?"

"Of course I trust you, VaLysia. " he insisted.

"Having sex without condoms is about trust and commitment between two people. Married people don't use condoms. I want a committed relationship before we have sex. I'm not pressuring you Matheson. This is just how I feel. Take all the time you need. "

He stared at her a moment and then smiled. He didn't need to think about this. He would do whatever she asked of him.

"I have nothing to hide." He said "I'll go to the doctor and get a full report if that's what you want. You go and get one too. Bring it back for me to read."

She was surprised at his request. She didn't have a sexual history. But then again, fair was fair.

"Fine. I'll do the same thing." She replied.

He walked over to her and kissed her again.

"Are we going to my parents house or not."

"Why not" she replied.

She left him momentarily to go into the bathroom and freshen up. Matheson sat there waiting for his arousal to dissipate. He would most definitely need a cold shower tonight. He stood up and stretched. she came out of the bathroom, her eyes traveling below his waist.

"Are you going to be alright?' she asked looking at him worried.

"I'll be fine after a few minutes in your facilities." he replied smiling.

She pointed the way and he went into the bathroom shutting the door.

Val opened her purse and looked in the mirror at her reflection. She was still hot from his attentions and she could just imagine what he was doing in her bathroom. She didn't want to think about that, or she'd end up changing again.

How could things get so serious between them so quickly?  Were the feelings they were experiencing towards each other the real thing?  Was it just lust and sexual attraction because neither of them had been sexually active lately and their bodies were doing the thinking for them?

She wondered what his parents would say. He had said that he was falling in love with her. Was he really in love with her or was it just something he said in a moment of passion? Did he say it because he wanted her or did he really mean it from his heart? She knew that she was falling in love with him too, but part of her was still afraid. It seemed just too good to be true! She had heard of love at first sight, but they hated each other at first sight.  She giggled to herself.

He came out of the bathroom looking like his normal self. Troubling thoughts still ran through her mind as she thought about the two of them and their new and fragile relationship. If there was nothing but sex between them, if this was only a strong sexual attraction, she knew that it would not last.

He walked over to her.

"What's wrong? Are you worried about the visit to my parents?" he asked watching her.

She looked at him and he saw the apprehension on her face. "We need to be sure that we want to do this, Matheson. You need to be sure that you really want to be with me and that it's not just a sexual attraction."

He suddenly looked hurt and Val realized that he thought that she didn't want him. "I'm sure, Val. Are you getting cold feet already? What is it? Are you afraid of what my parents will say?"

"No Matheson. I just want you to be sure of this. I want you to be sure that you are really falling in love with me and that it's not just passion talking." She walked up to him and put her arms around his neck for reassurance. He leaned down and kissed her.

"I've felt passion before, Val. I know passion" He took her face in his hands. "My father once said that you can choose a woman with you head, your penis or your heart. I've never chosen a woman with my heart before, so I know that this is real. I do want you sexually. You know that, but it's the nights we lie in bed and share our day that burns in my memory. I look forward to that at the end of my day. For so long I had no one to talk to...no one who wanted to hear about my day or my troubles. We have so much in common. We like the same things. I don't want to rush you, but I know you're the one for me. I've never been this happy or this sure of anything in my life."

He held her in his arms and rubbed her back. "I know I pushed your boundaries today and I now realize that's why you're questioning me. But it's not just the sex...its everything about you. You make me feel free. You may not know this but I was glad that you were a virgin because it removed the pressure from me that I always had to deal with in the past. Women have their expectations and I must confess that there were times I just didn't measure up to them."

"Pressure?" Val said surprised. "I thought men wanted sex all the time. I thought they were always ready and willing if the female was."

Matheson laughed. "Not always. That's a myth. We'd like to be always ready, but that's not true, at least not for me after I've worked sixteen hours. If I'm dog tired and my back is hurting, sex is the farthest thing from my mind. I want a hot shower and a pillow. We've been together twice now and both days I was well rested. Wait until you've seen me after doing double duty."

She kissed him and laughed. "I promise to be understanding"

"I'm sure I'm going to hold you to that promise" he replied.

Chapter 8 Feelings and Fears by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson brings Val to his parents home and get mixed responses!

Feelings and Fears

Matheson pulled up in front of his parent's house ready for anything. He didn't know what his parents were going to say. He looked at VaLysia. He knew now that he would never give her up. Come what may, he was in it for the long haul.

His mother had always loved Mavis. His father tolerated her because he loved Emily. Gregory couldn't understand their connection and had mentioned it jokingly to Matheson several times over the years. It was amazing to Matheson that the two of them had even gotten together. They were two totally different people.

He pulled around the back of the house and saw his mother outside and he wondered what was going on. She was pacing back and forth with several bags in her hand and she was eating something. He quickly parked and got out.

"Hey, Mom. What are you doing out here?"

Emily looked at the two of them and smiled. "You're just in time! I've been getting some samples from the bakery to plan Mavis' birthday gathering next week. I have cake samples and I have some appetizers. I need someone to help me make a decision! I needed some air and I decided to come out here and try them." She fumbled with two grocery bags. "You know your father is absolutely no help when it comes to party planning! I needed to clear my head! Come help me taste everything!"

Matheson rolled his eyes. "Mom, I don't want to see a cake on my day off!"

She looked at VaLysia. "I'm glad you're here. When I saw you pull up, I figured you two were coming to discuss Mavis dinner next week. Your timing couldn't have been better."

She ran back to the open trunk of her car and pulled out another two bags. She then reached in one of them and pulled out something and popped it in her mouth.

Val looked at Matheson who laughed. "Ma, it's supposed to be a simple dinner-"

"Tut tut, you're no fun Matheson! You've got to help me decide, VaLysia!" she looked at VaLysia her eyes pleading.

"Alright." Val replied grinning.

Emily quickly shoved two bags into her hands and slammed the trunk shut.

"Come on in the kitchen" Emily said leading the way giggling gleefully. She looked back at Matheson. "Your father's in the den. You go on in there while VaLysia helps me make some decisions! You're just like your father...absolutely no help!"

He watched as she pulled Val along and they split up with Val following Emily to the kitchen and he turning and going down the hall to the den. His mother acted like a child sometimes. He smiled to himself. That's why he loved her so much!

He found his father sitting on the sofa reading.

"Hey Dad" he said sitting down across from him.

"Matheson! This is a surprise." Gregory said "What brings you by on your day off?"

Matheson debated on whether to wait for his mother to finish with Val or just go ahead and tell him. He decided to tell him in case things got ugly. His father would be much harder to convince than his mother.

"Look, I need to talk to you. VaLysia and I came by-"

"You can't believe how glad I am to hear that!" Gregory said interrupting. "Your mother has been going on and on about this dinner next week! You would think that the Queen of England was coming or something. Mavis this and Mavis that...I don't know how much more I can take!"

"You know how Mom is about Mavis" Matheson replied laughing.

"Yes, I do" his father replied clearing his throat. "I mean she dotes on the woman! Don't get me wrong, I like Mavis and all, but Emily just thinks the sun doesn't rise in the morning without Mavis' consent!"

"Look Dad," Matheson continued. "I wanted to talk to you about something. You've been on me about a girl and you've been wondering why I'm not involved with anybody. The business had been taking up quite of bit of my time, but now I've met someone and I'm in love with her. Things are getting pretty serious between us."

Gregory's face broke out in a big grin. "Really? Well that's great" he said smacking his son on the back. "Who is she? When are you bringing her by?"

"She's in the kitchen with Mom. I'm sure they will be here in a minute."

"What? I should have known your mother would try to hoard all the girl's time" he said getting up. "Let's go into the kitchen so that I can meet her."

Matheson stopped him. "You've already met her. It's Mavis' granddaughter VaLysia"

Gregory stopped and turned back to him. "Come again?"

"It's Mavis' granddaughter VaLysia" he repeated.

"That's what I thought you said." Gregory replied. "Have you lost your mind? She's a black girl! Why in the world would you even consider a black girl as someone who would be acceptable in our eyes? If you are going to see her, see her. Have your fun! When I told you to bring a girl home, I meant a girl you were serious about, a girl that you wanted to marry!"

"I am serious about her." Matheson replied.

"Ridiculous! You've only known her a month! Is the pussy that good?"

"You don't have to be so vulgar" Matheson snapped. "Besides, I haven't slept with her! She's not that kind of girl"

Gregory rolled his eyes. "Yeah, right. You talk like a fool. If you haven't been lying in it, then you've been playing in it for sure to have your nose so wide open! Next you'll be telling me she's a virgin!"

"She is."

Gregory stared at him in disbelief. "You're a bigger fool than what I thought. You actually believe that this girl...this black, twenty six or twenty seven year old girl is still a virgin? She told you that and you fell for it? Girls don't stay virgins that long unless they've been locked away somewhere! Times are not like they used to be"

"Dad, I'm sure she's telling the truth. In fact, I'm positive." Matheson snapped. "Even if she wasn't, that doesn't matter to me."

Gregory grunted. "Of course it matters! Let's be frank here, Matheson! What man wouldn't want a girl that no one's had before? If she's kept her legs closed all this time and now she's ready to have you part the red sea so to speak, that inflates a man's ego. Since you're so convinced that she is a virgin, all that tells me is that she's been saving it up for the highest bidder. You've fallen for the game hook, line and sinker. If you deflower her, then you'll feel obligated to make a legal woman of her. That's an old fashioned idea that her grandmother probably instilled in her, no doubt!"

"I'm not listening to this crap!" Matheson hissed. "I love her. I'm going to marry her. Deal with it, Dad!"

"Marriage? You're talking marriage already! Damn she is good! Matheson, have you totally lost your mind?" Gregory pushed him back down on the sofa. "Sit down! Do you realize what you're doing? I'm sure she jumped right on your offer knowing how much you're worth, right? How much is virgin pussy worth these days?"

"I haven't asked her to marry me yet, but I'm sure she's the one" Matheson yelled jumping up. I can't believe you, Dad. You are trying to make her sound like some high priced whore. I've worked like a dog for you, put my life on hold for the last eighteen months. I deserve to be happy too. Val makes me happy and nothing you say will change my mind!"

"You were working for yourself!" Gregory shot back. "Hannah's will be yours one day! Think with your head boy, and not your dick!"

"You're unbelievable!" Matheson spat. "Have you forgotten so soon all those problems with the banks and Wall Street? Have you forgotten how our credit dried up and how I had to cover so many areas because we couldn't afford to hire more people? Yes, I did it for the business and I did it to make you proud of me! I tried to be there when you needed me, and now I expect you to at least give my personal choices some respect!"

"What's all this yelling going on in here?" Emily said rushing into the den. "I could hear you two clear down the hall. Gregory! You're not fighting with Matheson already? He just got here!"

Val came in behind her and looked at Matheson whose face was red. He looked ready to deck his father and she knew that he had told him about her. She glanced back and forth between them wondering if World War Three was about to break out.

Gregory looked at his wife. "Your son has some outrageous news for us" he replied his voice totally sarcastic. He looked at Val and then back at Emily. "He's in love and wants to get married!"

Val gasped in shock but no one seemed to notice since all eyes were on Matheson. She looked at him and his fists were balled up and he was facing his father. She prayed that things would not escalate.

Emily clapped her hands together and rushed over to her son "Marriage? Who is she? That's wonderful son!"

"You don't even know who he's marrying!" Gregory snapped. "He thinks he's in love with Mavis granddaughter."

Emily quickly turned and looked at Val and then back at Matheson.

"I would appreciate it if you wouldn't talk about me like I wasn't here" Val snapped. "Besides, I don't know anything about any marriage!"

Emily looked at Matheson confused. "What is going on son?"

"When I said something about marriage, I was talking in the future." He walked over to Val and put his arm around her waist. "However, I am in love with her. I know she's the one. I brought her here so that we both could tell you. I'm courting her and my goal is to eventually marry her."

"You have to ask me first" Val replied raising an eyebrow.

"I plan to" Matheson said smiling.

"That is crazy" Gregory snapped.

"It's not crazy" Matheson replied. "I love her. Get used to it, Dad."

Emily suddenly looked worried. "What does Mavis think about all this? Is she alright about the two of you being together?"

"It's always about Mavis!" Gregory snapped. "Mavis, Mavis, Mavis! I'm sick of this! She was most likely the one that put the girl up to snagging Matheson in the first place. She always had this hold on him. I should have seen this coming!"

"I'm not a child, Dad" Matheson said. "I make my own decisions and I chose who I want to be with. Mavis had nothing to do with my choice. In fact, she was against it at first! I had to convince her and give her my word as a gentleman that I would do right by Val and I plan on keeping my word. That's the only reason she agreed to give us her blessing!"

"I'll never accept it" Gregory replied. He looked at Val. "Nothing against you personally, VaLysia. But you two just met. Marriage is serious business. I'm not prejudiced or anything, but is it wrong to want grandchildren who look like me? Any children you two have will certainly be black and not white."

"You are prejudiced, Dad. I don't care what color my babies are. They will still be mine." Matheson replied.

"Well your mother and I care. The children will be all mixed up and confused not knowing whether they are black or white." Gregory continued.

Emily suddenly burst out crying and sat in a nearby chair.

"Look at how much you've upset your mother" Gregory accused.

"I'm not upset, I'm happy." Emily replied.

Gregory looked at her. "Are you daft woman? You don't know what you're saying! Matheson is our only son! I don't want our line to end like this!"

Emily walked over to him. "Like what? This is an answer to my prayers! All my life the only mother I've ever had has been Mavis. She's the only mother I remember. Now if Matheson marries her granddaughter, we'll be a real family!"

Gregory waved her away. "Look, I'm sorry that you were an orphan and all and you want some sort of bond with Mavis, but I will not accept this or any half black kids"

Emily reached up and quickly smacked her husband's face hard, something that totally stunned Matheson. His mother hardly ever disagreed with his father and never publicly. She always gave in to his wishes. She certainly had never struck him as far as he knew. Then again, his father usually backed down when his mother would get riled up about something. He hadn't seen her upset like this in a long time!

Gregory put his hand to his face stunned at Emily. She was a firecracker when she was mad and he didn't cross her often, but he was going to stand firm on this! She'd just have to get over it!

"Don't you dare say such a thing!" she cried out. "Mavis is not just like a mother to me! She is my mother as far as I'm concerned. If you don't think that VaLysia is good enough for our son, then you're saying that Mavis isn't good enough either and if Mavis isn't good enough, then I'm not good enough for you either apparently!"

"That's the craziest damn thing I've ever heard you say" Gregory snapped totally exasperated. "Mavis is not really your family."

She gasped at his comment and smacked him hard again. Gregory reached up and grabbed her wrist, but she jerked away from him and began to pace back and forth, which she did when she was highly agitated.

"How dare you say such a thing! She is family. She raised me and your son! I will not allow you to reduce her to some sort of paid servant!" She stopped pacing a moment and stood in front of him. "Apologize to me and to VaLysia! To talk this race talk about your future daughter-in-law is totally disrespectful and disgraceful. I won't have it!"

"I will not apologize in my own home!" Gregory snapped.

"Don't worry about it, Mom. We're leaving." Matheson replied getting up and walking towards the door.

"Matheson Gregory Hendricks!" his mother said her voice a loud squeal. "Sit!" She pointed to a chair and then pointed to him. She turned to Gregory. "Do you want to destroy this family?"

"It's not me, it's your son!" Gregory replied still rubbing his face. Never had he seen her like this. She was almost wild, pacing back and forth. She stopped and looked at Val.

"I am sorry for my husband's behavior, VaLysia" She turned to Gregory. "You will apologize to me and your son and VaLysia!"

Val couldn't believe that things had gotten to this level. She looked at Matheson who sat back down immediately upon his mother's command. She had to admit that the two men almost seemed afraid of Emily as she paced back and forth, her face a barely controlled mask of rage. She looked like a mad woman and Val knew that she'd never want to cross her wrong. Val had to admit though that her grandmother would be proud of Emily. This four foot tall woman didn't take mess off of anybody!

Val looked over at Gregory and squeezed Matheson's hand as he held hers.

"Mr. Hendricks, my grandmother is half white! She's not confused. That's just your fear talking" Val said. "Just own up to the fact that you don't like black people!"

"That's not true." he protested. "I've got black friends!"

Matheson laughed. "Just not black relatives, right?"

"Look, I don't have to explain myself to any of you." Gregory replied crossing his legs.

Emily stopped pacing and gave her husband an evil look.

"Look Mom, I think you'd better cancel this dinner." Matheson said. "There's no use upsetting Mavis with all of this commotion"

"Absolutely not! If I've got to have it somewhere else, I will." she looked at Gregory. "And you will pay for it too and you can keep your ass at home!"

"What?" he replied. "So this is all my fault right? Your son comes in here and says that he's getting married to your former servant's grandchild and I'm supposed to be happy! What part of this am I missing?"

Emily quickly walked over to Gregory and smacked him again. He grabbed her wrist. "That's the last time you'll hit me woman!"

Matheson started to get up and get between the two, but his mother gave him a look letting him know to stay put. Emily looked at her husband a moment. "You are my husband, Gregory. I've tried to be a good wife, but I will not allow you to disparage my family. Mavis is my family, so don't you forget it. Now let me go!"

She snatched herself from his grasp and walked over to Matheson.

"I'm happy for you son. Your father will change his mind, I'll guarantee that!"

"I doubt it!" Gregory snapped.

"I'm out of here" Matheson said grabbing Val's hand. "Let''s go."

Val got up and walked out of the house with Matheson. When they got outside, she looked at him and burst out laughing.

"What's so funny?" Matheson asked as they got in the car. "I thought you'd be livid and here you are laughing your head off!"

"I felt like I was in an episode of All in the Family or something." VaLysia said snickering. "This was totally unreal."

"Yeah? What are you going to tell Mavis about our little visit?"

"The truth of course." Val replied.

They were about to get in the car and Emily came to the door.

She waved at them and Val let down the passenger window.

"I'll call you about the dinner party! Thanks for your help, VaLysia"

"You're welcome" Val said.

She looked at Matheson shaking her head. "She acts like nothing ever happened! She still wants to have this thing even though your father is totally against it! I don't get it! I know she doesn't want to upset Grandma, but she acts already like your father has come around and that it's a done deal!"

Matheson chuckled. "Well, I don't know how, but my money is on her. There has never been a time in my life that I can remember that my mother hasn't gotten her way eventually."

Emily Matheson HendricksGregory Hendricks

Chapter 9 Curiosity and Compromise by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Valysia meetis Emily for lunch!

Curiosity and Compromise

The next week was a busy one for VaLysia. Emily had called her telling her that the party was in fact still on and would be at their home as originally planned.

"What about Mr. Hendricks?" Val asked curiously. "He seemed mighty upset to me."

"Don't worry about him, I have everything under control" Emily replied. She then promptly asked Val to meet her for lunch so that they could talk.

They had agreed to meet on Tuesday which worked out perfectly since Val was only working a half day that day.

Emily asked her to meet her at Tripps Restaurant and Val found her waiting outside the door. Her red hair was loose and she was wearing a pair of white Capri pants and a green top. She waved frantically at Val when she spotted her.

"So glad you came." Emily said walking in. The people seemed to know her and immediately led her to a table.

"Thanks for the invite" Val said.

"Tut, tut! This is nothing!" Emily replied laughing. Her big green eyes reminded Val so much of Matheson.

The waiter took their order and Emily sipped her water. "Look VaLysia, I want to apologize again for the other night. Gregory...well he's Gregory! Anyway, he'll come around if he knows what's good for him."

Val laughed. "I don't know how you'll do that, but Matheson thinks that you can."

Emily smiled. "My baby's in love" She paused with a far away look in her eye and then she reached across the table. "You don't know how happy this makes me." She paused for a moment staring off in space again.

"You know, it's been said that I'm a little off you know." She paused again. "Maybe I am, but who's perfect in this world? Mavis said that I didn't breathe for a whole five minutes after I was born, so that may be the problem." She laughed to herself and patted Val's hand.

"You know, Mavis has been my anchor all my life!" She patted Val's hand again. "I remember my father. He was so mean and ornery. I can get that way too sometimes, you know. He'd get riled up something fierce and start to kicking ass and taking numbers." She laughed again. "I get like that sometimes when I get upset. I kind of lose it...that's what you saw the other day and I apologize."

"That's alright" Val replied.

"Well, it doesn't happen often and Gregory doesn't like me to get that way because he doesn't know what I'll do...and to tell the truth,I don't either!" She laughed again. She looked across at Val. "Once, you know when Gregory and I had a huge fight and we didn't talk two weeks...I was so mad at that man that I walked around the house buck balled naked in front of everybody for a full week! " She laughed again.

"I told him that until he paid attention to me, I was going to remain naked and even answer the door naked! Mavis had a fit, but I didn't pay her no never mind. I told her it was a marriage issue." She laughed again. "Anyway, Gregory was fit to be tied. He threatened to have me committed, but I told him that there was no law against walking around naked in your own home." She laughed again. "I had him so stressed out and horny that he practically dragged me in the bedroom and had his way with me by the end of the week. Of course we did make up!"

"Where was Matheson?" she asked shocked.

"Oh, he was there. Mavis got him out of the house and off to school. She had a time keeping him and I separated so that he wouldn't see me walking around naked. He was about five I think" she giggled again.

Val laughed in disbelief. This woman was something else! She had to admit that Matheson's mother was a little strange, and she wondered whether Matheson had any of her quirks.

"So..." Emily said grinning. "I can't believe you and my Matheson! It's like a dream come true. Mavis and I will finally be a real family!" Her face suddenly got serious. "You know people were saying things about my boy that I couldn't believe were true. Some were saying that maybe he doesn't like women...that really upset me. I mean, he's my only son...I wanted grandchildren."

"I can assure you that he's very much into women" Val replied.

"I knew it!" Emily said clapping her hands together. "I told Gregory that very thing! Even with all the yelling and arguing the other day, I could see he loves you. He's just like his father, you know. He has that look in his eye like he wants to devour you." She laughed again. "Devouring me with that mouth of his is not so bad either! Matheson looks like he has his father's mouth...and tongue. You're in for a treat!" She laughed again.

VaLysia blushed obviously embarrassed and Emily laughed again. "Don't mind me, child"

"You know when I met Gregory, he didn't even like me. He thought that I was too little...too juvenile looking. He thought he wanted this girl...Daria something or the other. She was tall and buxom and real flirty. Well I knew that I wanted Gregory the moment I laid eyes on him. He was tall and handsome, just like Matheson. He has the most gorgeous blue eyes and with his dark hair he was a striking piece of man flesh!"

Val leaned forward. "What did you do?"

"Well I admired him from afar at first. He worked all the time with his father in the business. He was doing that and trying to keep up with Ms. Daria. She of course, was seeing him and another fellow because Gregory worked so much. I knew that it was only a matter of time before he found out...and when he did I was ready to make my move!"

Val was entralled with Emily's story. "Then what did you do?"

"I asked him out." she said simply. " I told him that I knew that I wasn't what he thought he wanted, but that I knew I could make him happy. I told him that he was the sexiest piece of manflesh I'd ever laid my eyes on and that even though I may not be a size 36DD, I was still very much a woman! Well since Ms. Daria had damaged his ego, me telling him that he was sexy really picked him back up."

"Did you go out?"

"Of course. I could hardly keep my hands to myself and when he tried to return the favor, I'd smack his hand! I told him that I wasn't that kind of girl that I'd been taught to wait for marriage. My hands wandered every time he kissed me! I couldn't help myself!"

VaLysia laughed. "I guess he didn't like that very much."

"No, but those were the rules. I could touch him, but he couldn't touch me! I kept telling him that he was so sexy that I could hardly help myself. Besides that, I would do other things for him. I'd have a meal ready for him when he had a long run and I'd rub his back when he was tired. I even talked his father into letting me help with the business. My father had left everything to me and I had the resources that allowed the bakery to expand. Of course his family loved me and told him that I'd make a wonderful wife."

She laughed again.

"He told me that he liked me a lot but wasn't in love with me and I told him that he would be because even though I was a virgin, there wasn't another woman alive that would fulfil his every fantasy in bed like I could. You should have seen the expression on his face! I told him I'd been studying a book from France on pleasuring a man and that I had quite a few things I'd like to try out on him if he'd marry me. He asked me to marry him the next month." She laughed again.

"Matheson told me that you always get what you want!" Val replied laughing shaking her head in disbelief.

Their food came and they began to eat. Emily was quiet and seemed almost brooding. Val wasn't sure how to take Matheson's mother. Her emotions seemed to go from one extreme to the other.

"Is everything alright, Emily?" she asked after a few minutes of silence.

Emily looked up and smiled. "Yes, dear. I was thinking about poor Matheson. He's working so hard...twelve and fourteen hours a day. That's not good. He won't listen to me. Maybe he'll listen to you. He tries so hard to get his father's approval. I don't understand why he doesn't know he already has it. Gregory loves Matheson with all his heart. I know he does. If he's thinking about marriage, he needs to slow down."

She looked knowingly at Val.

"You have the power, you know. The woman always does." Emily grinned at her across the table.

VaLysia couldn't help but to think about her conversation with Emily several days later.

She knew that she wouldn't get to see Matheson since he was pulling long shifts so that he would be off for the party. He sounded dog tired when she talked to him on the phone at bedtime, and a couple of nights he was actually falling asleep on the phone.

Val felt that he was working too much. He ran from store to store covering for persons on vacation as well as keeping up with his own location downtown where he was totally in charge of.

It was now Thursday before the Saturday party and she was worried. Matheson hadn't called her and it was after eleven. He normally called her around ten o'clock. She texted his cell and called his phone, but it went straight to voicemail.

She decided to leave home after eleven thirty which was something she never did in order to check on him. She didn't want to call his mother and worry her. She put on her gym shorts and a tee shirt and flip flops and got in the car.

When she arrived at his apartment, she found his car in the parking lot. She breathed a sigh of relief. She went to his apartment and knocked on the door, but he didn't answer. She continued to bang loudly until the next door neighbor opened their door to see what was going on.

"Is there a problem?" the older gentleman asked.

"I hope not" Val replied. "I know my boyfriend's here because his car is in the lot, but I can't get him to come to the door. He's worked twelve hours today and I want to be sure he's alright."

"Have you called him?" the man asked.

"I have, but he doesn't answer" Val said.

"Look, I don't mean to sound unfeeling…but perhaps he has other company with him tonight. I mean that can happen you know."

Val looked away. Could Matheson be seeing someone else? She had been to the doctor a couple of days ago for her physical and had the report with her. No, she could not believe after all they had been through with his father that he'd cheat on her. She gave the neighbor a smile.

"Oh, I'm sure that if someone was by here, it wasn't like what you're implying" she replied with more confidence than she felt.

"Please don't continue to bang on the door then" the man said. "It is very disturbing for the rest of us."

"Of course" Val agreed even though she wanted to continue banging.

She walked back t the car wondering what was going on and she started to get back in her car, but walked across the lot to Matheson's BMW instead. When she looked inside, she was shocked to see Matheson with the seat back sound asleep. She tapped on the glass.

"Matheson! Wake up!"

He opened his eyes and was shocked to see her.

"Val, what are you doing here?" he asked letting down the window.

"I was worried. I was calling you. I woke up the neighbors banging on the door! I thought something had happened to you. Are you alright?"

"Yeah." He said opening the door and rubbing his eyes. "I just thought I'd rest a minute, I could hardly make it home. I just needed a minute to get myself together."

He got out of the car and Val saw that he looked exhausted. His white chef's coat was dirty and he looked sweaty.

"A minute? What time did you get here?" she asked concerned.

"My usual time, I guess" he replied. He looked at his watch. "Damn! It's after midnight!"

Val walked with him to his apartment and he threw the keys on the table and shut the door.

"I'm sorry I worried you" he replied. "I ache all over. We had a big delivery today and Gary was out sick."

"You can't keep doing this Matheson. You're killing yourself!" she said worried.

"I'll be fine" he replied. "You need to get home. You have to get up in the morning."

"I'm off tomorrow, Matheson. I'm supposed to take Grandma out." She said. "Come on"

She led him up the steps to his bedroom. "Undress sir. You need a nice hot bath and I'm going to run it for you."

"I don't take baths anymore Val." He protested mildly.

"That's an order, Mister" she said leaving him and walking into the bathroom.

She ran some warm water in the tub and came back into the bedroom. Matheson was sitting on the bed. He looked like he was about to fall asleep.

"Get undressed, Matheson" she demanded.

"If I wasn't so tired, I swear you would get your request and more" he teased.

She laughed and helped him undress. He winced when he took his arm out of his coat and she knew that his muscles were sore.

"Come on. I'll rub you down after your bath" she said.

She had seen plenty of pictures, but she had never seen a man naked before. She helped him out of all of his clothes and she couldn't help herself, she had to look at the package he had to offer. It didn't look so scary now that it was resting. She giggled to herself.

"What's so funny" he mumbled walking to the tub.

"I 've never seen a naked man in the flesh before" she snickered tapping him on the behind.

"You're lucky I'm incapacitated" he replied climbing in. "If I wasn't so tired, I'd show you more than my nakedness."

She had him lie his head back on the back of the tub on a towel and instructed him to close his eyes. She decided to wash him herself. He did as she requested and she soaped a wash cloth and began her task. She ran the soapy rag over his body and was surprised to find the act arousing for her.

Matheson continued to doze and she went about her task thinking about what it would be like to make love to this man. She found herself thinking about it all the time and if she wasn't thinking about that, she was thinking about him kissing her…the other part of her. She blushed thinking about it.

"Matheson" she whispered. His eyes were still closed.

"Hmmm" he responded not opening his eyes.

"Do you mind if I wash…you know…down there?"

"Be my guest" he mumbled "Put some soap on your hand and do it."

She giggled but complied with his request. She reached under the water for him. He was warm and flaccid, but it was not long before she could feel him come to life in her hands.

"You're starting something." He whispered opening his eyes.

"I didn't mean to" she said giggling. She could feel herself getting wet and hot. He didn't have any hair on his chest, but it began at his navel on down and she ran her fingers through it. She gently cupped his scrotum in her hand and he groaned a little making her hotter still.

"Come on Mister. It's time for you to get out." she said trying to get herself together.

He stood up and she saw that he was perfectly erect. "I thought you were tired" she said to him as he got out of the tub. The sight of him wet and erect made her hotter still.

"I am. My shoulder hurts. " he complained. "Looks can be deceiving."

Val immediately felt guilty when she saw the pained look on his face.

"I'll rub it for you" she replied. She tried to focus her attention on his shoulder instead of his member which now bobbed up and down as he stepped out of the tub.

Matheson let her dry him off and she led him to the bed. She rubbed his shoulder with some liniment and he climbed under the covers naked when she was done.

"Aren't you going to put something on?" she asked. He didn't even kiss her and he was still hard when he climbed in the bed.

"Nope" he mumbled half asleep. She stared at him as he dozed off. How could he sleep? She was all hot and bothered from giving him a bath and watching him salute in all his glory. She looked at her watch and noted it was after one. She had better get on home.

"I'm about to leave Matheson" she said looking at him.

He opened his eyes. "Stay." He said. "You don't have to go. Come on climb in with me."

He moved over in the bed. Why not? She thought. It was perfectly safe…she hoped. Besides she got her birth control shot when she went to the doctor.

She climbed in beside him in her sweats.

"No, get undressed" he protested.

She hesitated but then took off all her clothes and climbed in the bed with her back to him. He pulled her close and she could still feel him semi erect against her back.

"Remember you're tired" she warned.

He put his arm around her and pulled her to him kissing her on the shoulder. "Goodnight" her murmured.

"Goodnight" she replied reaching for the light.

Val couldn't go to sleep with his naked body next to hers. She listened the steady rhythm of his breathing. He was next to her totally naked with his arm thrown across her and she was aching for…well she knew she wanted something! She closed her eyes and tried to concentrate on going to sleep despite the ache that was growing between her thighs, but it did no good.

She tossed and turned several times trying to think of something else besides the heat that was escalating inside her.

"What's wrong" Matheson murmured sleepily.

"I'm sorry. Did I wake you?" Val said sheepishly.

"Can't sleep?" he asked.

She was embarrassed. "I guess its just that I'm not used to the bed." She lied.

"Oh" he said pulling away from her. "I'll give you some space. This is a queen size bed."

No! No!No! Her mind screamed. "Matheson, I'm…hot" she said finally.

"I can turn the ceiling fan on" he responded. She didn't say anything, so he got up and turned it on and then climbed back in bed turning his back to her. She was totally disappointed. What was wrong with her? The man had worked thirteen hours. Get a grip, hussy! She said chastising herself.

Matheson had gone back to sleep and she tried to think of anything besides his naked body lying next to hers. She had never resorted to self pleasure before, but she knew that she had to do something if she wanted to go to sleep. Matheson had opened the door of her sleeping libido and she was now having problems keeping it in check.

She listened for his continued steady breathing and she slowly moved her hand back and forth over her sensitive flesh. She was trying to keep quiet, her eyes were tightly shut and she stifled a moan as she felt her self slowly being drawn towards the goal she was seeking. She paused one moment as Matheson turned over again facing her. She waited until she heard his steady breathing and continued her task.

She slowly turned on her back for better access. The room was so hot and she felt as if she was going to burst. Her fingers moved slowly back and forth and the ache was growing steadily and she caught herself before she let out a moan. She didn't want Matheson to wake up and catch her.

The room was unbearable now and she found her fingers took on a life of their own as they moved back and forth. She felt her breath catch as she was climbing. The spasms were intense and she put her other hand over her mouth trying not to make any noise. Her breathing was labored as she tried to recover.

"Damn, that was hot!" Matheson whispered quickly grabbing her hand and sucking on her fingers.

Val didn't have time to be embarrassed as he quickly took the fingers out of his mouth, pulling her to him. He then parted her legs with his and she felt him rubbing his member against her opening, though he made no attempt to penetrate her.

"Matheson-"

"Don't worry, tonight's not the night" he said kissing her. She wondered what he was doing, but it didn't take long for her to figure it out as he continued to rub himself against her her sensitive flesh.

Matheson had awakened to her erratic breathing and then he realized what she was doing. The thought of her masturbating made him instantly hard. He lay there holding himself with his hand. He was dog tired but listening to her had given him a burst of energy. He was now wide awake and was erect and throbbing.

It took all of his self control not to push his way in, but he wanted to please her and get some release himself. He rubbed himself against her opening which was so wet and ready. He rubbed the head of his member against her sensitive nub and it wasn't long before he received the reward he sought. Her orgasm hit her and he covered her mouth with his as his hand moved up and down his shaft.

Val placed her hand over his. "Let me. Tell me what to do." she whispered. She wanted to please him just as he had done for her.

"Whatever you feel comfortable doing." he replied.

The room was dark and she couldn't see his face, but his body was hot and she ran her hands over him and he groaned.

"Tell me exactly what you want, Matheson. I'm still learning. You know what you like" she insisted.

He hesitated. "Kiss me there" he whispered. "Please". He seemed almost hesitant in asking her. She lowered her head and tentatively touched him with her tongue and then took the head into her mouth and licked him.

He groaned louder which was encouraging to her and she took more of him into her mouth moving slowly up and down. She was surprised to feel his body stiffen and he ejaculated only after a few seconds. She didn't know much, but she knew that it shouldn't have happened that quickly. He instantly went flaccid in her hands.

He pulled her into his arms. "I'm sorry" he said his voice sad. "I have this problem sometimes when I'm extremely tired-"

She cut him off by kissing him. "I don't care about that Matheson."

"One day you will" he said and she could hear a bit of fear in his voice.

"Baby, don't you worry. We'll work it out" she reassured him. "You're working too hard, stressing yourself out."

He paused for a moment as if he was thinking about what she was saying. "I want things to be right between us." he said. "I should have told you. It is something that is important, but it is so...embarrassing...and humiliating.."

"Have you seen a doctor." she asked.

"No"

"Then we'll go to the doctor. I'll go with you. Regardless Matheson, I'm here for the long haul. I won't leave you because you have this problem. We all have something going on, so don't worry about it. What you gave me before and what you did tonight was good for me."

"I love you" he said simply.

"Love you too." she replied.

Chapter 10 Confrontation and Acceptance by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Val confronts Gregory.  Matheson discusses his health issues with Val.

Confrontation and Acceptance

Gregory Hendricks sat at his desk reviewing the payroll for the previous week. Fridays were quiet days. He liked Fridays. He was only working until noon since Emily asked him to come home early.

Emily was still going forward with the party and it amazed him just how much power she had over him and she knew how to weld it. He knew fighting with her was useless. Emily was extremely high strung and sometimes he thought she was down right crazy, but she did love him unconditionally. Somehow she always got around him and got her way. There was never a time that he could remember when she didn't get what she wanted one way or the other, even when it came to him.

He was younger than Emily by five years. He was only eighteen when he met her and nineteen when he married her. She was twenty three and looked like she was fourteen at the time. She wore her long red hair in a ponytail. He always thought she was cute, in a childish sort of way but he didn't think of her as a woman. Most of the time she wore jeans and a simple blouse whenever he saw her.

Somehow without his knowledge, she had wormed her way into his family's good graces. His father absolutely adored her. His mother thought that she was the best thing since sliced bread! While he was out chasing Daria Jenkins, she was busy incorporating herself into his life by getting into his family's good graces. He hadn't had a clue what was going on until the deed was done.

He found that Emily was very perceptive and crafty. She always had a plan when it came to getting what she wanted. He realized later that he had been set up and by the time he found out, it was too late. He smiled now to himself remembering how she seemed satisfied with just being his friend and concentrated on her relationship with his parents. She would be invited to dinner and would talk shop with his father totally ignoring Gregory at the dinner table. He didn't have a clue then that she wanted him, but that was all a part of her plan. She had even been there once when he had invited Daria over and she didn't bat an eye.

When his father was strapped for cash, she immediately bought into the business and talked about expansion which was his father's pipe dream. Oh she was good, that was for sure. Later, he found out about Daria cheating and he was feeling sorry for himself moping around. Emily had been to dinner the night before when he'd found out from his father about Daria.

He still remembered the night that Emily approached him. Emily showed up at the downtown bakery as he was closing and Gregory thought that she was looking for his father. She informed him that she was looking for him and promptly told him that he was the finest looking piece of man flesh she'd ever laid eyes on and that just looking at him made her sweat. Before he could recover from that, she told him that she wanted him to take her out!

The next week his parents were singing her praises and urging him to take her out. It was then that he realized what she had done and confronted her. She denied nothing and grinned at him impishly. "When you want something, you go out and get it! That's what my grandfather always said!" she told him boldly.

Gregory had to admit, the girl had spunk. He took her out, but his friends commented that she looked like his little sister instead of girlfriend and that bothered him. He related as much to her and therefore on their next date she had on a mini skirt and red high heels. She had on a white blouse with no bra and he couldn't stop staring at her small perky breasts and her pink nipples. She then told him that she may not be a 36DD but that she was still a woman. After that night watching her breasts jiggle as she walked in those heels, he had no doubt about it. He never looked at her as a little girl again.

Even with the pressure from his parents and Emily's perky breasts and high heels, he had to admit to her that he didn't feel that he was in love with her. He felt he should at least tell her the truth and he expected her to become angry and break it off with him, giving him relief from the pressure his parents were applying for him to move forward in their relationship.

Emily surprised him yet again and told him that she knew that he was still pining over Daria, but that she loved him and had always loved him. She then told him that she was still a virgin because she had fallen in love with him when he made a delivery to her house for a party when he was fifteen and she was twenty. She told him that she made up in her mind that day that she wanted him and that she saved herself for him. She had patiently waited for him to come of age and then she had to wait for him to find out about Daria. She then told him that she had been studying on ways to pleasure a man and if he'd marry her, she'd fulfill his every sexual fantasy.

Gregory was totally shocked at the time and didn't know what to say. She then asked him if any woman he knew would do what she did for his family and he had to admit that there wasn't. His own father took him aside later after he related to him all Emily had told him hoping he would tell him to break it off with her.

"Gregory" he said. "I knew Emily had a thing for you from the beginning. She's a nice girl and comes from a nice family. She has money and has invested in your future. She's a giver not a taker. What more could you want in a wife?"

"But Dad, I'm still hoping that Daria-"

"Forget Daria, son" his father said wisely. "She'll never make you happy. She needs too much attention and when you don't give it to her, she'll cheat again, I'll guarantee it! Let me give you a word of wisdom boy. You can pick a woman with your mind, your dick or your heart. Right now your dick is talking telling you to get back with Daria because of her body and her looks. Your mind will tell you that I'm right about her character and that she really doesn't love you and she'll cheat again. Now Emily may not have your heart right now, but she's a good mind choice and if I know that girl, she won't be satisfied until she has your heart right in the palm of her little hand. So think about that!"

His father had been right. Emily had made him a good wife in and out of bed. There was nothing that she wouldn't try in bed within reason and then after she left him totally spent, she'd get up and feed him breakfast in bed. She spoiled him rotten, did whatever he asked her to do and treated him like a king. Then she'd keep his head from becoming too inflated by handcuffing him to the bed and dominating him and performing some of the things she learned from her pleasure book until he cried for mercy. She knew how to make him scream and beg for mercy and he ended up giving her whatever she asked; which was rarely something for herself. God, he loved that woman!

His secretary stuck her head into his office interrupting his daydreaming session.

"Mr. Hendricks a Miss Chamberlayne is here to see you. She say's it's about your son and it's urgent!

Gregory stared at her. Who the devil was Miss Chamberlayne?

"What? I don't know her Greta!" he snapped. Maybe it was someone from the downtown store.

"She says it's urgent." Greta said again.

"Oh alright! Send her in" Gregory replied irritated.

He was surprised when he looked up and saw VaLysia.

"Mr. Hendricks, we need to talk." she said shutting the door and walking over to his desk.

"What could we possibly have to talk about? I haven't changed my mind" Gregory replied.

His eyes roamed over her trying to determine what about her Matheson was so infatuated with. He had to admit that now as he took a good look at her, she wasn't a bad looking girl. Her little curls on her head accentuated her facial features even if she did have thick lips. She had a sort of pear shaped figure, her hips were full and her breasts were small.

"I didn't come to you about the party or about me and Matheson's relationship" Val replied coolly. "I'm coming to you about your son's health."

Gregory scoffed. "His health? He's healthy as a horse. What are you talking about?"

"Look" she replied patiently. "He is not alright. He is overworking himself and I can tell something is wrong. He needs to go to the doctor, but he says that he doesn't have time. You are the only one that can order him to go."

Gregory looked at her skeptically. "How do you know something's wrong?"

"I know" she said not wanting to elaborate.

Gregory looked at her running his eyes over her. "Maybe if he's having problems getting it up for you, you're the problem and not him. Have you ever thought about that?"

For a moment VaLysia was speechless not believing what he had said to her. Before she knew what she was doing she leaned across the desk and grabbed him by his tie, yanking it hard.

"Look asshole" she spat "I don't give a flying fuck what you think about me, but your son is not well. He needs to go to the doctor. Now if you are any kind of a father, you will pick up that phone right now and call the store and demand that he does just that, not later but today!"

She yanked him by the tie again and then dropped it.

Before Gregory could recover from her outburst he was flabbergasted as he watched the tears run from her eyes.

"I love him, OK" she sniffed. "I don't expect you to accept that, but I do."

Gregory jumped up. He couldn't stand to see a woman cry. "Look, I believe you love him."

He paused a minute thinking about the devil he would catch if Emily found out about this. He had received enough grief from her already. He handed Val a tissue from the box on his desk.

"Alright. I'll call him right now."

He picked up the phone and called the store. He looked at Val wiping her eyes as he waited for Gary to get Matheson to the phone. He pointed to a chair for her to sit down and she complied.

"Son, I understand that you're putting your health at risk. Now we can't have that." his father said once he came to the phone.

"VaLysia's here and she has made an appointment for you to go at..."

He looked at Val.

"3:30 PM" Val replied.

"3.30 this afternoon" Gregory continued. "I expect you to be there and she's going with you to make sure you keep your appointment."

"I know you're not a child, Matheson" he said continuing to look at Val. "However, you know your mother is high strung. Do you want her to come down there and make a scene in the bakery? "

He paused a minute. "Alright, I'll tell her"

He hung up the phone. "Pick him up from the bakery at 3:00"

Matheson was not too happy about VaLysia going to his father and she could tell when he got in the car with her.

She didn't say anything but drove straight to the office. She was lucky that she was able to get an appointment at the Family Practice Center, but the doctors rotated and she explained that Matheson needed to see someone as early as possible.

They arrived and she sat next to him in the waiting room as he filled out the paperwork. He didn't have to wait that long before the called his name and she waited in the waiting room hoping that he would be in a better mood when he returned.

She waited for over an hour and she began to worry as she had to pick up her grandmother in a couple more hours. He finally came out and walked straight out the door and she jumped up and followed him.

"Matheson!" she said catching up to him.

He stopped and turned to her.

"What did the doctor say?' she asked opening the car door.

He leaned over and kissed her. "I'm sorry I've been so moody, babe." he said pulling out several prescriptions. "It seems I have high blood pressure. I felt fine, but I could tell from the look on the doctor's face it wasn't good. He says that was most likely part of my other problem. It's called premature ejaculation. He gave me some things to read and I have to come back in a month."

Val breathed a sigh of relief. "What does he want you to do? Do I have to do anything?"

"He told me that most likely it was a combination of things including stress and insufficient rest. He gave me some exercises to perform...and some cream that I have to apply that's supposed to help."

She pulled up into the parking lot of the bakery and cut off the engine.

"Matheson, I didn't mean to pull rank on you, but you had me worried especially when you seemed to be in no hurry to go to the doctor. I hope you're not mad at me." she said. "I just wanted you to get checked out."

"I was a little at first" he replied. "But I'm glad you made me go. The doctor told me that high blood pressure is nothing to play with. "He handed her the prescriptions and his card. "Can you get these filled for me?"

"Of course" she said smiling.

"I can't believe you went to my father after the way he acted. I would have thought you'd go to my mother." he said laughing getting out of the car.

"I just took my chances with your father" she said snickering. "I figured I could deal with his anger easier than I could deal with your Mom's pacing.

She made Matheson promise to get off on time tonight and she would meet him at his apartment to give him his medicine when he got off. She quickly kissed him goodbye and pulled off.

Her grandmother was waiting for her and she took her to her dentist appointment. She related everything that had happened when Matheson told his parents and when she went to lunch with Emily.

"Miss Emily got a lot of her father's ways" Mavis said. "But she's sweet like her mother. She can be a little strange sometimes on account that we almost lost her when she was born. I helped deliver her, in fact."

"She told me that" Val replied.

Mavis shook her head. "She had some strange ways for sure. On her eighteenth birthday we had a big party for her. Legally she was a ward of her Uncle Albert. He was Ms. Trudy's brother whose house Mama and I would stay sometimes at Christmas. He handled all her money until she was twenty one. He gave me an allowance and I raised her. He really didn't want to be bothered with her because he had his own family to deal with."

Mavis stopped talking a minute and stared out the window.

"I love her like my own flesh and blood, but sometimes I wonder if she needs to see one of them head doctors. Anyway when she turned eighteen and we were going to throw her an eighteenth birthday party, and we had it catered. Mr. Gregory's father ran the bakery then and Mr. Gregory was just a child. He came to the house with what I had ordered for the party and Miss Emily was in the kitchen. Mr. Gregory was helping his father with the food and Ms. Emily told me after they dropped off the food that she was going to marry him! He was only thirteen years old!"

"I didn't realize that they were that young!" Val exclaimed.

"Yes, and she had her mind made up! She made friends with Gregory's family and everything. She told me that she was a patient woman and she would wait for him to mature. She wouldn't even go out with fellows her age. I told her that it wasn't decent for her to try to date that child. She told me that she wasn't even going to talk to him before he turned eighteen and by then he had a girl. Did that change her mind?"

"I gather it didn't" Val said giggling.

"Nope and she ended up with him just like she wanted." Mavis shook her head. "When Miss Emily gets something in her head, look out! Nothing is going to stop her!"

Val laughed as she pulled up in the dentist's parking lot. "I guess then I shouldn't worry about your birthday dinner party, huh?"

"Nope. I'm not worried one bit." Mavis replied.

Chapter 11 Celebrations and Decisions by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Mavis celebrates her 75th birthday.  Matheson expresses his feelings.

Celebrations and Decisions

Saturday, the day of the party was a flurry of activity at the Hendricks's home.

Matheson followed his mother's instructions and prepared all of the deserts. He made a devil's food cake which he knew was VaLysia's favorite, he made banana pudding which Mavis loved, he made a marble pound cake for his parents and threw in a few more things for good measure! That was his sole task for that day and his mother had called the store four times reminding him not to do another thing but prepare for the party. She even called Gary and reminded him that Matheson should leave the bakery by noon.

Matheson rolled his eyes when he received a fifth call from his mother.

"Enough already, Mom!" he snapped in the phone. "I told you an hour ago that I had everything under control!"

"I'm not calling about that!" Emily replied. "I wondered if you had taken your medicine! I don't want your blood pressure to be up rushing around for this party."

Matheson rolled his eyes again. "Yes, Mom. " He now regretted telling her about his doctor's visit. She was going to worry him to death.

He hung up the phone and checked the time. He was right on schedule. Gary helped him put the items in his car trunk and in the back seat and he planned to go straight to his parents' home. He had to admit that it felt great to get off and not be dog tired. He had brought his clothes to his parent's house the night before and he would shower and change there. He then texted VaLysia and told her that he was leaving the bakery.

His mother ran outside as he drove up and he resisted the urge to roll his eyes again. She was literally jumping up and down like an excited child. He could just imagine what his father was saying.

"Matheson, you're here" she exclaimed clapping her hands. He looked up and saw his father with his arms crossed across his chest standing in the doorway.

"She's been pacing again." He said as Matheson got out and popped the trunk.

"Oh pooh!" Emily replied "I'm just a little excited is all."

"A little?" Matheson teased. "Mom you called me five times at the store!"

"Did you take your medicine?" she asked looking him over carefully.

"Yes, Mom. I told you I took it." Matheson replied patiently.

"I'm so grateful VaLysia made you go to the doctor." Emily said walking into the house with a cake. "You need a wife like that. You've made an excellent choice! "

Matheson looked up at his father who didn't reply.

"At least you think so, Mom" he replied dryly carrying the items into the kitchen.

They made several more trips from the car to the kitchen and Matheson was not the least bit surprised to see that his mother had hired extra help for this party.

"How many people are coming?" Matheson asked looking at the three people that were bustling around the large kitchen.

"Oh, it's just us and Mavis and VaLysia" she replied handing the stuff to the helpers.

"You hired three extra people for a dinner party with just us attending" Matheson replied shocked.

"Only the best for Mavis!" Emily insisted. "I had her favorites professionally done."

Matheson laughed. "I hope it's not fried chicken again."

"Of course not!" Emily replied. "Mavis has several favorites and I've had them all specially prepared. We will have roast beef, veal parmesan, and grilled shrimp and crab cakes."

"Mom, we can't eat all that in one meal!" Matheson protested. He looked at his father who threw up his hands as he stood behind her.

"Well whatever you don't want to take home, we'll take it down to the homeless shelter. I've already called them" she replied smugly.

Matheson had to laugh. His mother was going all out like she was feeding a herd. He followed his father outside on the patio while his mother still rushed around giving the hired help more instructions.

"Why in the world do you let her do this, Dad?" he asked snickering.

"Do you think I have any choice?" his father replied sitting down.

"I really expected you to cancel the party" Matheson replied. "I know you don't like Val-"

"I like her well enough" Gregory relied. "I just wanted you to marry one of your own kind, that's all. You seem to have your mind made up, so all I can do is accept your choice. At least I'm sure that she loves you and it's not about money. It could be a lot worse. "

He looked at Matheson. "I guess I'm just from the old school."

"Times are changing, Dad" Matheson replied.

"I guess" Gregory said. He looked at his hands and then at his son.

"Look, I need to ask you something" he said, his voice hesitant.

"Go on" Matheson replied watching him.

"What is it? What attracted you to her? Did it happen when she was here the first time? I'm trying to understand this."

Matheson looked at his father. "Remember when you told me that a man can choose a woman with his penis, his head or his heart?"

"Yeah."

"Well when I first saw her, the penis rejected her. I wasn't attracted to her at all. My head rejected her because she seemed angry to me and I didn't think I could be with a black girl. I thought we had absolutely nothing in common."

His father was surprised. "What changed your mind?"

"I kissed her" Matheson confessed. "She made me so mad in the music room that I did it without even thinking about it and when I did it, man…I can't explain it except to say it was amazing."

Gregory laughed. "I see"

"After that" Matheson said "She came to the store and she was dressed real nice and well, I was attracted to her. I kept watching those lips of hers and she has really nice legs and I kept thinking about that first kiss. The rest is history."

He looked at his father and lowered his voice. "It bothers me that you don't respect my choices."

Gregory sighed. "Look. I don't like it, but I accept it. You say you love her, well what can I say about that? I know she loves you the way she manhandled me in my own office and then burst out crying when she thought something serious was wrong with you. Women are strange!"

Matheson laughed. "None are as strange as Mom and you married her."

"Yeah, I couldn't help myself" Gregory replied.

"You two seem so different, you and Mom. On one hand, she seems to worship the ground you walk on and on the other you seem …I don't know afraid of her somewhat."

"I'm not afraid of her, son" his father replied. "I just don't know when she will go off that's all."

"How did you know that you loved her?" Matheson asked. "I remember you telling me that she went after you and you were in love with someone else."

"I knew I loved your mother when an old girlfriend tried to get back with me and I had no desire to do so. " Gregory replied. "She had cheated on me and your mother and I ended up together. We had been married a year and Daria the old girlfriend showed up at the store just as I was closing. She was dead broke and needed some money and well she wanted to offer me a little pleasure if I helped her out. Before I married your mother I thought she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. She was tall and blond and had these big round boobs that made me salivate. But when she came to the bakery that night, I felt nothing. She took off her jacket and her boobs looked like they were about to explode out of her top. For the first time I thought she looked like a cartoon character out of a men's magazine. All I could think about was your mother and how this woman could never make me feel alive like Emily could. Then I threw her out of the store."

Matheson laughed. "So you've never cheated?"

"No never" Gregory replied. "You may not want to hear this being my son….but since we're talking man to man I'll just say that your mother has an insatiable sexual appetite and breaking trust is not something I will even consider doing. What's the purpose anyway? She's all I can handle and sometimes she just wears me out. Adding another woman in my life would most likely cause me to have a heart attack."

Matheson laughed and got up. "Well since you're being so frank, how'd she get you to change your mind about today?"

His father looked at him sideways. "You will not want to hear this."

"What? Did she tie you to the bed or something?" he asked laughing.

Gregory didn't reply and Matheson stared at him in disbelief.

"You're kidding right? After all this time…all these years you two are carrying on like that? Really Dad, I thought that part of your life would be over by now! You and Mom need to calm down!"

"Over? Matheson I'm only fifty one! Sex for us is far from over." his father protested. "You talk like a child. Besides, I like your mother's eccentricity when it comes to sex and she knows how to use it to get what she wants from me."

"I am a child…yours!" Matheson replied. "And you're right. I don't need to keep getting visual images. I think I'll be traumatized for sure."

"Well that part of our life isn't over." Gregory replied. "Emily has been a good wife to me. She takes care of me and makes sure that I take care of her too. Son If VaLysia is what you want, so be it. You're my only son and I love you. You know that don't you?"

He looked at Matheson and Matheson stared at the ground and didn't reply right away.

"Don't you?" Gregory pressed.

"Yeah, Dad. I know." he said finally.

"The store is NOT the most important thing to me. You and your mother are." he said. "Don't you ever forget that, OK?"

Matheson nodded and hugged his father.

Just then Emily came running out on the patio.

"Alright you two! You need to get showered and dressed!" she yelled over to them.

"Alright, Ma." Matheson replied. He slapped his Dad on the back. "Come on Dad before she gets the handcuffs!"

                                          ((***))

Valysia picked up Mavis and they arrived at the Hendricks's house fifteen minutes before the six o'clock dinner time that Emily had given them.

She was surprised when they walked in and saw several strange people in uniforms in the house.

Matheson came to greet them and Val caught her breath. He was so handsome. He had on a pale sea form green shirt and black slacks. He walked over and gave both her and Mavis a kiss.

"How's my two favorite women?" he asked grinning.

"Fine" Mavis replied. "What's all this? Who else is coming?"

"You know Mom" Matheson replied. "She goes all out "

"Mavis!" Emily shrieked throwing her arms around her as if she hadn't seen her in years.

"Hey baby" Mavis said grinning.

Emily led her to the dining room and sat her down at the head of the table. She had a rhinestone tiara on the table and placed it on Mavis head. She clapped her hands again looking at her and Val had to laugh at Emily's enthusiasm. Mavis seemed to take it all in stride. Val sat next to Matheson who sat across from his father and mother. The dinner was pleasant and the food was delicious.

"See this is like a dream come true, Mavis. We're finally a real family" Emily said grinning.

"We were always a family, Baby." Mavis replied.

"I can't wait for Matheson and VaLysia to give me a grandbaby. After all, Matheson is thirty one years old!"

Matheson rolled his eyes. "Please Mom. Can't Val and I date a while longer and then get married before we produce a baby?"

"Take all the time you want" Gregory replied tartly. "No need to rush into things."

Emily gave him an evil look and turned back to Mavis. "What do you think, Mavis?"

"I think we ought to eat dessert!" Mavis replied laughing.

One of the servers bought out the cake with a big number seventy five on it. They all sang Happy Birthday and Mavis blew out the candles.

"Did you make a wish" Emily asked giggling.

"I did" Mavis confessed "And now I'd like to say something to all of you, especially you Mr. Gregory."

"I want to thank you Mr. Gregory and Ms. Emily for this wonderful dinner." Mavis said looking at them. "I love both of you like my own. Now Mr. Gregory, I know you're disappointed that your only son is in love with my granddaughter. I understand and I don't hold it against you. I come from a time that such things weren't even thought about, marriage between black and white. I wanted to leave Miss Trudy after my mother died and I had made up my mind that nothing was going to change my mind. I was going to leave that house and never look back!"

She leaned forward and reached across the table and patted his hand.

"Then Ms. Trudy had your wife, Miss Emily. She was small with a head full of orange hair like her daddy. She was blue as a dead body and the midwife and I worked on her something fierce. Ms. Trudy insisted on having her at home instead of in the hospital. God told me to breathe life into that baby and I do know CPR so I blew small puffy breaths through her nose and mouth by covering them with mine. All of a sudden she coughed and I heard her catch her breath and she started crying. Her little hand got tangled in my hair and I knew then that she didn't want me to go. She was telling me not to leave her. I saw her and I knew I couldn't do it! Her Momma made me promise to take care of her and I did. I'm telling you this because you may feel one way now, but when you see your grandbaby and that baby looks like you or your Mama or your Daddy, then you will know that God is real and your heart will melt and you won't care if their skins not white like yours."

The table was quiet for a moment after Mavis' speech. Gregory could only nod in agreement and Mavis continued.

"Miss Emily grew up and when she was eighteen and you was only a thirteen year old boy, you came to the house helping your daddy deliver desserts for her party, just like Matheson brought desserts here today. In fact, this reminds me of that party. You was a shy boy helping your daddy put the food where I told you and Miss Emily stood in the doorway watching your every move. You saw her watching you and you smiled shy like at her, and then she smiled back. After you all left, she told me right away that you were the one and that she was going to marry you. I couldn't see it then, but it happened. Now we sit here and its come full circle. You can't see how it's going to work between your son and my granddaughter, but I know that it will as sure as Miss Emily knew that day on her eighteenth birthday that she was going to marry you."

Everyone was quiet a moment thinking about what Mavis had just said.

Mavis looked around the room and laughed. She focused on Emily. "We are a family, baby. Don't you fret none about that!"

She waved the server over to the table.

"Let's cut the cake!"

They had their dessert and retired to the music room at Matheson's request.

"What's this all about son?" Gregory asked.

"You'll see." He said.

He programmed the CD player and jazz music began to play. He then came over to Mavis and handed her a gift.

"This is from me." He said grinning.

She opened the box and found a baby picture of Matheson in a double frame with a baby picture of VaLysia on the other side.

"You can look at this from time to time and imagine what our babies will look like" he said smiling kissing her

"They will be beautiful, of course" Mavis replied. "Thank you, Baby." She said kissing him back.

Mavis opened the envelope that was from Emily and Gregory.

"What's this?" she asked looking at the legal document.

"It's the cottage in Williamsburg. " Emily said. "Remember when we used to go there? Now it's yours."

Mavis looked shocked. "I can't accept this!"

"Too late. It's already yours." Emily said clapping her hands.

"Matheson, you and VaLysia will have to go down to Virginia and check it out." Gregory said. "I'm sure it's going to need some work and I will need you to give me a report."

"Dad when am I going to have time to go to Virginia?" Matheson asked sitting down beside Val.

"We'll work that out later" his father replied.

"Thank you for the lovely gifts." Mavis replied. She turned to VaLysia. "And thank you too, baby for the outfit I'm wearing today."

"You're welcome, Grandma" Val replied.

"Well let's go and pack up the food you want to take home with you." Emily said standing.

Mavis and Emily went back to the dining room to decide what leftovers she was going to take home and what was going to the homeless shelter.

Gregory followed them shaking his head as Emily continued to chatter.

Matheson walked over to VaLysia. "May I have this dance? I have this song I want you to listen to. It's from me to you. I want you to listen carefully to the words. You may know it, I don't know."

He pulled her in his arms and pushed the button on the remote. The song was "What a Difference a Day Made by Dinah Washington. Val thought it was very romantic and as he held her close, she listened to the words.

What a difference a day made….

Twenty four little hours…

Brought the sun and the flowers…

Where there used to be rain…

My yesterday was blue dear….

Today I'm a part of you dear….

My lonely nights are through dear….

Since you said you were mine….

Matheson kissed her as they moved on the floor and VaLysia felt like she was floating. Matheson's mouth moved to her neck.

"After that first kiss, my life was changed forever." he murmured. "That kiss right here in this room."

What a difference a day makes….

There's a rainbow before me…..

Skies above can't be stormy….

Since that moment of bliss…

That thrilling kiss…

It's heaven when you find romance on your menu…

What a difference a day made….

And the difference is you…..

"Marry me" Matheson murmured. as the song ended and he reached and pushed the button of the CD player and it began to play again.

Val looked at him and smiled. "Of course, one day we'll get married."

"No, I 'm asking you now. I don't want to wait" he replied. "I know it's only been six weeks. I don't care. I know in my heart that you are the one I want. Whether its a day, six days, six weeks or six years I know I love you and I want to marry you. For thirty one years I've waited for the right one. For the last eighteen months I've been working myself to death in order to fall asleep and not feel the loneliness that had been consuming me."

The music and stopped and Val stepped back from him stunned.

"Matheson…."

"When we make love, when you join your body with mine, I want you to have said yes to me to be my wife" he confessed watching her face. "You will then be mine totally."

Val stared into his ocean eyes and saw the depth of emotion there.

"I want you by my side. I want you in my bed. I just want you, Val." He said kissing her again.

"That song expresses my feelings for you. I've been lonely so very long…I know the sex may not be good for you at first...I promise to try hard to please you... I know I have my issues-"

"That has nothing to do with my answer" Val replied interrupting him. "I ..I just am shocked. I mean, you need to be sure."

His face suddenly became pained. "I'm sure, Val, but if you need more time-"

"I don't need more time" she replied kissing him again. "Yes"

He pushed the button and Dinah began to play again and he covered her mouth with his, holding her as if he'd never ever let her go.

A/N (See You tube for the song, "What a difference a day makes" by Dinah Washington. It's beautiful)

Chapter 12 Passion Night. by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Warning:  If you're uncomfortable with sexual scenes...skip this chapter.

Passion Night

Emily shut the door and breathed a sigh of relief. The dinner was a wonderful success! She clapped her hands together and walked through the house which was now quiet. She looked around the kitchen and noticed a brown bag that she had packed for Matheson. Oh well. He'd probably come back for it in the morning.

Gregory had gone to the homeless shelter to drop off the food that was left. Nothing was going to waste and she was happy! She thought about putting the bag in the refrigerator, but quickly forgot that thought as her mind went back over the evening's activities.

She had watched her son and VaLysia that evening and she knew that they were definitely in love. She was so glad that they were a family.

Gregory appeared to have accepted the fact that VaLysia was their son's choice. She was glad about that. Matheson was so slow about dating. She wondered what the problem was. He wouldn't tell her, of course, but she felt that something was wrong and he wasn't telling her. Just like the high blood pressure issue. He was working himself to death. She knew now that she and VaLysia had talked, that she would be on Matheson to take care of himself. Most likely Matheson just had been overworking himself which is why he hadn't been dating. That was all water under the bridge now that VaLysia had come into his life. She smiled to herself.

Emily looked in the bedroom mirror at her reflection. She noticed a few more lines around her eyes. Gregory still looked the same as he always had except for a few gray hairs. She had taken a quick shower and put on her gown.

She heard footsteps and knew that Gregory was back. He walked in the bedroom and threw his keys on the dresser.

"All done" he said.

She watched him through the mirror as he began to undress. She brushed her hair watching him. She wanted him. She had been the one approaching him lately and she could not remember the last time he had initiate sex. It was always her.

"Tonight was a success" she said still watching him. Maybe she didn't give him time to approach her. After all, she knew that she was somewhat impatient and Gregory tended to be a bit too leisurely and slow at times.

"Yeah, I guess" he replied taking off his shoes.

He took off his shirt which always made her hot. He had a large amount of chest hair. She loved the feel of it under her fingers. He stripped naked and picked up his robe. She knew that he was going to take a shower. She had already had hers while he was gone to the shelter.

She sat on the bed and waited. Maybe she would wait and let him approach her. The ache between her thighs was suggesting otherwise, though and she sat there debating what to do.

He came back into the room and her eyes roamed over him. He never seemed to want her as much as she wanted him. She wondered sometimes if he was tiring of her. He was after all five years younger than she was. The thought of that made her sick. She didn't know what she'd do if he didn't want her anymore. She had dedicated her whole life to Gregory.

He hadn't been happy about Matheson and VaLysia. She felt bad because she couldn't give him more babies. Perhaps things wouldn't seem so bad if she had other children, but Matheson was the only one.

She got up and walked around the bed and faced him. She pushed herself between his legs and he stared up at her surprised.

"What's wrong Emily?" he asked noting the worried look on her face.

"Gregory, I'm worried …about us" she confessed.

"What about us? I thought we were fine" he replied.

"Do you still…desire me? I need you to be honest with me" Emily whispered fighting the tears, but they spilled over and ran down her face.

Gregory was surprised. "What brought this on? Didn't I do as you asked? You just said that the party was a success and it was. Mavis had a wonderful birthday. Why are you crying? What is this about?"

She pulled back and sat on the bed beside him hanging her head.

"I know, I know. Sometimes I push too hard to get my way and I wonder if you resent it. I don't want you going through the motions with me Gregory. Tonight when Mavis was talking I realized just how many years it's been that I've loved you. I thought about that for the last six months all of the sexual advances have been from my end. You go along with it…and now I wonder if you are just doing it to shut me up."

Gregory put his arms around her and pulled her closer.

"Woman, you're crazy as a loon! Did I ever tell you that?" he teased.

"Plenty of times" she sniffed.

"I love you Emily. Of course I still want you. There's no one else for me. You're so aggressive most of the time, that I don't have the chance to be the aggressor, that's all. I still want you." He reassured her.

"I remember the first time we made love. Remember?" He whispered.

"It was on our honeymoon" she said.

"I was scared to death, not knowing what to expect from you after you made that declaration about fulfilling all of my sexual fantasies. I was only nineteen. I had only been with one girl before you and I didn't have many fantasies outside the arena of basic man on top sex. I was worried that I would disappoint you even if you were a virgin. I had already been told that I wasn't…overly endowed. the fact that I was a virgin and inexperienced didn't sit too well with the young lady."

Emily looked at him and laughed.

"Remember after you told me that you didn't think you were that endowed and I went and got a measuring tape…on our wedding night no less."

They both laughed at the memory.

"I remember and you informed me that your book told you that the average size of a man's penis was six to seven inches. " Gregory chuckled "And I measured five and a half, proving what I had been told. That left me feeling very inadequate."

"She was a total slut for saying such a thing to you." Emily snapped. "I thought you had an impressive looking penis and told you so, remember? It looked so much better than the drawings in my book."

She reached over and touched his face. "It feels incredible to me. It does the job and I like the way it feels and tastes. I thought it was a magnificent penis myself!"

Gregory kissed her. "You always have a way of making me feel like I'm the best in the world, even though I'm sure I'm not. I love you for that."

"You are the best as far as I'm concerned" Emily said. "It's mine. It would kill me if you gave it to someone else…I know men do stray from time to time, but I don't want to think about that."

Gregory turned her face towards his. "On my grandmother's grave…I've never strayed." He replied honestly.

Emily smiled. "I've always tried my best to do whatever I could to please you." She lowered her head. "I realized today when I was watching Matheson and how he looked at VaLysia that you used to look at me like that; I guess it's too much to hope for."

Gregory laughed. "Matheson is horny as hell and this girls a virgin. I looked at you like that when you wore that see through blouse on our third date! Remember you wanted to prove your womanhood. God, I was hard all night watching your breasts jiggle."

Emily giggled. "I remember when you first tried to penetrate me, it hurt like hell and you kept apologizing."

"I was a bumbling idiot." Gregory agreed.

"You made up for it though" Emily replied. "I remember you took the book that same night and read it."

"Yes, it gave some step by step suggestions on oral stimulation. I was fascinated." He replied. "That was new for me…and the thought of receiving it, well it was very inspirational."

"Inspirational?"

"Yes, I thought that if I got that right, you'd return the favor. The thought of that was very inspirational" he said laughing.

"I remember that after our first time, which lasted only a minute I think" She giggled again. "Then you went to sleep and I was still sore, I woke up to you kissing my thighs. Needless to say, I forgot about my soreness pretty quickly. You were very, very good. I was surprised and pleased with your efforts."

He looked at her. "That's because I liked doing it more than I thought I would."

She looked at him sideways. "You haven't done it in a while."

He laughed again. "Are you throwing me hints? As I can recall, you've been running the show and I've just been coming along for the ride."

"I want you to run the show tonight" she said looking at him.

He pushed her back on the bed. "Gladly" he replied.

Emily closed her eyes as she felt Gregory's lips start at her neck and nibble his way down her body. The day had been wonderful. Her son was in love and Mavis had a wonderful birthday which she had been a part of the entire thing.

By now Gregory had reached her navel and he was being painstakingly slow and she resisted the urge to give direction. She knew that he loved her and she thought of that young boy that was standing in her kitchen with large blue eyes that captured her heart with his smile over thirty five years ago.

She could feel his breath on her most sensitive flesh now, and he slowly ran his tongue between her outer lips causing her to moan. He was so slow, it was driving her crazy. His tongue was making lazy circles around her clit and she had his hair in her hands and she was arching her back to meet his teasing tongue.

"Gregory!" she gasped.

"Quiet woman!" he teased. "I'm giving the orders here, remember?"

He continued his torture and she didn't think she could take much more. His touch was light, too light. Just enough to make her ache. She felt as if she was going to explode.

"Please, Gregory.."

"I haven't heard that in quite a while" Gregory chuckled. He knew her body better than she did and he would bring her to the edge of orgasm and then pull back long enough for the feeling to subside and then begin his torture again.

He raised his head and smiled at her. "This is payback for thinking that I didn't want you anymore."

"Please forgive me" she pleaded. "Come up here!"

"Still trying to give orders?" he asked mockingly covering her mouth with his.

He quickly pushed his way inside her roughly. He slammed his body hard into hers, his movements wild and frenzied.

"God Yes! " Emily exclaimed and Gregory chuckled triumphantly.

He quickly rolled over putting her on top. She leaned down and kissed him. He still looked the same as he had all those years ago.

She moved on top of him frantically, her breasts bounced up and down and her orgasm consumed her.

Matheson and Valysia walked back in the house trying to be quiet in case his parents were asleep. Matheson had forgotten to put the food he was going to bring home in the car.

VaLysia had come to his house after dropping off her grandmother and asked him for it. He had to admit that he had left it on the table and told her that he would just run back by his parent's house to get it.

She rode with him and they walked into the house and planned to just sneak in the kitchen and get it and leave.

When they came into the house and walked down the hall, Matheson could hear the two of them in the bedroom. They quickly went into the kitchen and found the bag still on the kitchen counter. He quickly picked it up and pointed to Val to go out the back door.

His mother let out a scream and Val almost burst into a giggle.

She quickly walked up the hall with Matheson following her.

His mother was being very verbal telling his father to 'fuck her hard!'

Matheson hurried and put the alarm back on and rushed out to the car.

When he got in the car, Val was laughing hysterically.

"Well that was embarrassing!" he said pulling off.

"I'm glad that they are still going at it" Val replied. "I have something to look forward to in my old age."

Matheson grinned. "I guess you're right."

When they arrived at his apartment, Val took the bag from him.

"Why don't you stay with me tonight?' he asked.

"Will you make me scream like your Mama?" Val teased.

"I'll certainly try" he replied.

They walked into his apartment and Val wondered if tonight was going to be the night.

He had declared his love for her, played a song for her and asked her to marry him. She still couldn't believe it. She hadn't told her grandmother because tonight was her night and she didn't want to take the focus off of that. She told Matheson not to tell anyone until he decided on a ring.

They walked upstairs to his bedroom and she pulled a paper out of her bag. "Here. Read this"

"What's this?" he asked taking it from her.

"The report I got from the doctor. Do you have yours?"

She watched as he reached into the drawer beside his bed and pulled out an envelope. She took it and scanned the contents. She looked up and saw that he was watching her.

"Satisfied?"

"I guess" she said folding it back up.

"I'm not tired tonight" he whispered.

Val swallowed. She could see that he was already hard. She looked back up and his eyes were on her. There was still a space between them as they stood there watching each other.

"Undress for me" he asked still standing there not moving.

Val slowly reached back and unzipped her dress and let it fall to the floor. She had on a black bra and panties. She picked her dress up and put it on the chair and then removed her bra. She stepped out of her panties and stood before him.

"Your turn" she whispered.

She watched as he quickly removed his shirt and pants. She caught her breath as he took off his boxers and she glanced at his erection. He took it in his hand and walked over to her.

She watched as he walked past her to the dresser and took out some cream and smeared it on his penis.

"It's supposed to help me…you know control myself" he explained.

Val wished that he hadn't done that. She wanted to taste him again, but she didn't say anything.

He kissed her and pulled her down on the bed.

"I'm going to do my best to make it good" he said.

"I know" she replied.

She felt his hand caressing her thigh and his mouth was on her breast and she closed her eyes. He quickly moved between her thighs, his tongue was exploring her. Knowing that she was about to lose her virginity, she felt a little nervous and it was hard for her to relax. She could tell that Matheson was somewhat anxious himself.

Somehow it was not as intense as it had been before; even though she was enjoying the pleasuring he was giving her with his mouth. He had inserted a finger inside her which wasn't too bad, but now he had inserted two and she felt a little discomfort. She knew that he was trying to get her ready and she wondered how she was going be able to handle him. He was much larger than the two fingers he was using.

He removed his fingers and positioned himself at her entrance.

"You OK?" he whispered in her ear.

"Yeah" she lied trying not to tense up.

She felt him push his way inside her, the pain causing her to bite her lip so that she wouldn't cry out.

Then he was inside of her and she looked up at him. He was watching her and he wasn't moving.

"You alright?" he asked looking worried.

"Yeah, "she replied.

He began to move slowly and she was pleasantly surprised that there was no more pain. So this was what sex was like. She smiled up at him.

"How are you doing?" she asked.

"It's different without a condom, more intense." He replied. "You feel incredible…so tight…so good."

He had moved slowly and first, but now he was in a rhythm and VaLysia could feel herself growing hot and she began to move with him. Suddenly he stopped.

"What's wrong?"

"I…I could feel the end coming…" his voice wandered off as he began again moving slowly.

"That's alright, Matheson" she said. "I like the way you were moving before."

"I won't last long at that pace" he confessed.

"I don't care, I like that pace" she responded.

He began to move again slowly and then he again found his rhythm and she began to match his strokes. She felt herself growing hot again.

"Oh Matheson!" she gasped as her orgasm was approaching.

"God, babe. I don't think I'm going to make it" he confessed.

"Please…oh god…" she said as he continued, his strokes more frenzied.

Matheson struggled to hold back as he could see that she was about to cum. He wanted this to be good for her. It was her first time. He reached down and quickly pinched his scrotum painfully to delay his ejaculation and he felt the sensation subsiding a bit.

"Matheson!" Val hissed when he slowed down to do the exercise.

He quickly picked up the pace again.

"Oh god!" she screamed and he felt her contractions as her orgasm hit her. It was all he could do to try to delay his own.

He felt himself spiraling towards release and he cried out as he felt himself emptying into her. He didn't remember anything else because all seemed to go black.

Val was surprised at how hard Matheson hit the bed. She knew that he had cum as he abruptly disconnected from her and his seed spilled on her belly as he fell on the bed.

"That was great" she said turning to him.

She was shocked when he didn't respond.

She quickly turned the light up brighter and was shocked to see that Matheson had fainted.

Chapter 13 Unexpected Vacation by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson has a heart to heart with Gregory.  Matheson meets Val's cousin.

Unexpected Vacation

Matheson left the doctor's office, glad that they were able to work him in. He wondered what the problem could be.

He didn't even know he had fainted until he felt VaLysia wiping his face with a cold cloth asking him if he was alright. He wasn't sure exactly what had happened and she had insisted that he go to the Emergency Room that night. He was able to convince her that he was fine and that he would go to the doctor that Monday or she could call his mother if he didn't keep his word. She had relented and he texted her that morning and told her that the office had worked him in with an appointment at 9:30 am.

Doctor Lilly reexamined him after he explained to him what had happened. He was relieved that the doctor concluded that most likely his blood pressure medicine just needed to be adjusted. Just to be sure, Doctor Lilly sent him to have an ultrasound of his heart as well as an EEG. Everything checked out and he was relieved.

He related the news to VaLysia who was waiting for him when he returned to the bakery.

"You really had me worried" she said kissing him.

"The doctor is pretty sure that I'm fine. That has never happened before" he said walking into the bakery. "Let's just keep this our little secret."

"Fine, but I'm going to keep my eye on you" she said sternly. "I have to go back to work, but we'll talk later."

"You do that" he replied kissing her.

He waved at her as she left the bakery. He knew that he needed to tell her the other news, but there wasn't a lot of time. He was still trying to accept it himself and he wanted to sit down with her and discuss the situation.

Doctor Lilly had received all of his test results back from his previous visit. The tests revealed that he had an extremely low sperm count and that there was only a ten percent chance of him being able to impregnate Val without outside help. The doctor informed him that stress most likely played a role and told him that he needed to make some lifestyle changes if he ever wanted to have a family.

He thought about the business and how hard he had worked over the last eighteen months and felt that had played a part in his present condition and told Doctor Lilly how he felt. He was surprised when the doctor told him that most likely he was correct and that he would recheck his count in three months. After all, he wasn't trying to get her pregnant right now, and he could allow himself time to see if things would change for him in the future.

He decided to go and see his father at the office and talk to him about his plans to cut back his hours. They weren't that busy at the bakery and he had already told Gary to put an ad on the internet because he wanted to hire another part time person. Matheson was ready to make some changes.

He walked into his father's office and found him behind his desk with a stack of papers her was reading. He looked up surprised.

"Matheson! What a surprise. Is everything alright at the store?" He suddenly looked concerned.

"The store's fine, Dad" he said sitting down. "Gary's there now. Everything's under control."

Gregory sat back in the chair. "So…what's going on?"

"I went to the doctor today." Matheson said.

"Again? So soon?" Gregory asked concerned. "Did something happen?"

Matheson debated on how much to share with his father. He knew that most likely he would have to be up front with him if he planned on cutting back his hours and hiring additional help.

"Yeah, but I'm fine. My medicine had to be changed. Dad, the doctor told me in so many words that I need to make some changes. The stress is affecting my health. I'm hiring another part time person." His father jumped up out of his seat.

"Of course!" Gregory snapped. "You need a vacation. Now's the perfect time for you to go down to Virginia. In fact, I insist on it!"

"I don't know about next week…" Matheson replied. He wanted to see about hiring another person and then making sure that things would run smoothly with his absence.

"I know!" Gregory snapped. "Whatever happened must have scared you for you to run back to the doctor so quickly! The whole thing sounds serious to me. Are you going to tell me what happened or not?"

Matheson rolled his eyes. "Dad-"

"Don't make me get your mother involved!" he threatened.

The last thing Matheson needed was to have his mother involved. He could just imagine how she would react.

"Alright, Dad." Matheson said. "Look, I had a little fainting spell-"

"What? When?" Gregory snapped cutting him off. "Where were you? I hope you weren't driving? What in the world were you doing?"

"Dad will you calm down! I was home. Val was with me." Matheson replied.

His father stared at him and shook his head.

"What in the world were you doing to cause a fainting spell?"

Matheson stared back at him and grinned sheepishly. He couldn't tell his father that he fainted in the midst of orgasm!

He watched as his father immediately comprehended the situation.

"You were with VaLysia?"

"Yes."

His father stared at him for another moment.

Gregory then raised an eyebrow. "So our virgin is a virgin no more, huh?"

Matheson didn't reply. His father cleared his throat.

"So when's the happy day. I know it must be near since the red sea has been parted."

Matheson rolled his eyes. "We haven't set the date. I have to buy the ring to make it official, you know."

"No wonder you look so relaxed and happy." his father replied sarcastically. "Fainting after sex...that's a first for sure!"

"It's not that rare, Dad" Matheson replied "I have serious blood pressure issues and they are trying to stabilize it. They've also checked my heart to be sure that there are no issues there. My heart checked out fine. "

"Do you really believe that changing your medicine is the answer? How are you feeling? When do you have to go back to the doctor?" His father seemed really worried and Matheson was touched.

"Dad, I'm fine. I have to go back next month or sooner if I have any more episodes" he replied.

"Well son, I want you to be here when I'm gone, not the other way around." his father replied seriously. "I want you to take care of yourself. Whatever it takes! Things are getting better and I must admit that I depended on you to fill in the blanks when we were shorthanded." He stopped and looked at Matheson a minute.

"Remember I told you that you and your mother are the two most important things in my life, not this business and I mean it." He sat back down in his chair. "If anything should happen to you, your mother would have my head!"

He took out his calendar and stared at it. "I can cover for you at the store in three weeks. Why don't you and VaLysia plan on going down to Williamsburg and check things out? Stay a week.. in fact take two weeks. I have someone who keeps an eye on my property down there. " He began to scribble on the calendar. "It's just the break you need."

Matheson stood up. "Alright Dad. I'll talk to VaLysia and see if she can take off. I'll let you know."

Gregory's face became stern. "In the meantime, I want you to cut back on your hours. No more than ten hours a day, do you understand?"

"I don't know-"

"I know!" Gregory replied. "Ten hours is too many, but since you're running things I'll allow ten but no more. I'm promoting Gary to Assistant Manager." He picked up the phone.

"I thought that the downtown store was mine. That decision is mine, Dad" Matheson protested.

"Shall I get your mother's opinion?" Gregory replied holding the phone in midair.

"Don't keep threatening me with my mother!" Matheson snapped.

"Whatever works" Gregory replied smiling.

"Look, I'll cut back" Matheson replied. "Work with me here...I want to hire additional help and I'll agree to promote Gary."

"Fine" Gregory replied.

Matheson left his father's office to return to the bakery. He was surprised when he walked out to the parking lot and saw a woman driving down the street come to an abrupt stop and get out of a car and walk over to him. He didn't recognize her and wondered what she wanted.

"Hi" she said walking up to him smiling.

"Hello" Matheson replied. "Can I help you?"

"Well I saw you come out of the building and I decided to stop and say hello" the woman replied. "I mean I figured it's about time for you to meet some of us."

"You wanted to meet me?" Matheson asked clearly surprised.

Matheson stared at the woman confused. She was wearing some jeans that were much too tight with red high heeled sandals and he could see that the buttons on her shirt were stretched as her ample breasts appeared to be about to spill out of it.

"I can't figure out how she snagged a hunk like you" she said licking her lips.

"Excuse me?"

She extended her hand and he looked at the extra long nails each with a small rhinestone and blue nail polish. Her hair was dyed a brassy blonde color. It was more golden brown than yellow and almost matched her skin tone. Matheson thought that she had on too much makeup.

"I'm Tameka" she said grinning. "Tameka Chamberlayne"

Chamberlayne? Surely this overly made up sex kitten couldn't be kin to Val!

Matheson took her hand and stared at her in disbelief. "You're kin to VaLysia?"

"Of course." she replied pulling out a red blow pop and licking it. "We're cousins, though I know you can see we don't look that much alike, of course. But cousins we are!"

"Well it's nice to meet you Tameka" he replied wondering what this was really all about. Val had never even mentioned a cousin Tameka. Then again as he watched her standing by his car sucking on the blow pop, he could imagine why she wouldn't tell him about this woman. He still couldn't figure out what she wanted.

"I think you need to come and meet VaLysia's family" she was saying. "I mean Nana hardly ever gets to see her anymore. She hasn't been around much since her father passed. But I'm getting ahead of myself. You two may not even be serious. That's most likely why we haven't met you. Are you serious about my cousin?"

Matheson stared at her glossy lips. She was a pretty girl, but there was something about her that he instantly disliked. She seemed somewhat abrasive and yes...slutty. He shouldn't think that about Val's family member, but he couldn't help it. Even as she stood before him it seemed that she had popped a few buttons on her shirt open showing even more of her ample bosom.

"Were serious enough" he replied. "I know Val's grandmother Mavis. In fact, we just had dinner together the other night."

Tameka raised an eyebrow. "Oh her. She's not my grandmother. That's VaLysia's grandmother on her mother's side. I'm on her father's side of the family. You should come and meet us. I guarantee you that we're a lot more interesting. Val needs to bring you around to meet everybody."

Matheson stared at her. "I see"

"Yeah, she neglects poor Nana something terrible. " She ran her eyes over him slowly. "If things don't work out between you and my cousin, you can give me a ring since you have a thing for black women."

She licked the blow pop and the stuck it in her mouth sucking on it hard. She then popped it back out and grinned at him.

"I guarantee you that you won't be disappointed." she said batting her eyes at him.

Matheson tried not to laugh. "So...VaLysia told you about me?"

"A little." Tameka replied leaning against his car and running her hand along it. "I bet I'd look good in a picture with this baby."

She quickly handed him her phone and lounged on the car. "Take my picture. I want to keep this."

Matheson stared at her dumbfounded not believing this woman. "You want me to take a picture of you sprawled out on MY car?"

"Yeah. I know I look hot next to this baby." Tameka replied grinning seductively.

He watched as she lounged against the car and he quickly took a shot and handed her the phone. He wished that she would just leave.

"I've got to go to work now, Miss Chamberlayne. It's been interesting." he replied.

He tried to open the door but she was blocking him. "It's Tameka." she said running her hand down his chest.

He jumped back a bit. "Don't do that."

She smiled at him seductively. "Whatever my stuck up cousin did for you, I can do better. Just give me a chance."

"I don't think you can." he replied. "She is your cousin, and for the record I'm in love with her so I don't need you to do anything for me."

"My bad" Tameka replied still licking the blow pop. "I didn't know it was like that. I thought you two were just dating. I thought that you know...that it was just a casual thing."

"Your cousin doesn't do casual sex." he replied looking at her.  "I would think as her cousin you would know that about her."

"Yeah, well like I said, my bad"  Tameka replied grinning.

Matheson opened the driver's side door and she had to step back in the ridiculous high heels she was wearing. She grabbed the door before he could shut it.

"Let's just keep this little conversation between us" she said. "You don't want to cause any more problems between my family and my little cousin. We are not on the best of terms right now, you know."

"I wonder why." Matheson replied sarcastically starting the car and quickly pulling off.

He realized at that moment that perhaps VaLysia needed a vacation as badly as he did.

Chapter 14 With This Ring by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Val avoids Matheson.  Matheson has a surprise!

With This Ring

For Matheson the next month flew by at a rapid speed. He was busy interviewing for an additional person for the store. He was training Gary to run the store in his absence and the bakery had to prepare for a large party for the city's mayor. He kept his word, however, and did not work more than ten hours each day.

The most disturbing thing for him, however was VaLysia. Ever since his little episode, she was handling him with kid gloves. She was almost as bad as his mother, asking him if he was taking his meds and checking to make sure that he got off at a decent hour. Truth be told, he was still going into the bakery by six and usually got off by four o'clock. He no longer worked seven to ten days straight before he had a day off. He took one full day off per week and also Sundays. Normally they were closed on Sunday anyway, but a lot of times he was there preparing for the upcoming week. He now let Gary handle that task.

It seemed that Val was working more than he was. She was up for a promotion and he did not see her as much as he would like. She also had not slept with him since that infamous night and he missed her.

He decided to meet her on her job after he got off. He wanted to surprise her and take her to dinner. She told him that she would be off by six that evening and he walked up to the woman at the front desk with a bouquet of red roses. She looked up at him and smiled.

"May I help you?" the blonde woman asked smiling.

"VaLysia Chamberlayne" Matheson replied returning her smile.

Debbie Whitmore ran her eyes over the handsome young man with the roses. He was dressed in a white double breasted coat and black and white pants. Her curiosity got the best of her.

"You don't look like a delivery man…I've seen that outfit you're wearing somewhere before."

Matheson laughed. "I'm a baker. These are my work clothes"

Debbie grinned appreciatively. He was even more handsome now that he was smiling.

"A baker delivering roses. That's a first. "She grinned at him seductively. "So…are you helping a friend out?"

"No" Matheson replied. "Will you please let Ms. Chamberlayne know that I'm here. "

Debbie continued to stare. "If you're a baker…where's your goodies. I don't get you delivering roses!"

Matheson stared at her. Why was she giving him twenty questions?

"Thank you for your observation. She loves devil's food cake. Maybe next time I'll bring that instead. Now will you please let her know that Matheson is here?"

He tried to keep his voice even and his temper in check. Debbie continued to stare at him and the confusion on her face was obvious.

Debbie picked up the phone. "VaLysia, there's a Mr. Matheson here to see you."

She hung up the phone.

"She'll be right up."

Matheson sat down still feeling her eyes on him. Just then two men came by the desk and spoke to Debbie. One handed her a manila folder and asked her to file it.

"Well" the short man with dark hair and gray eyes said. "Looks like someone is getting some roses."

The black man beside him laughed and turned to Debbie. "Who's the lucky lady?"

"VaLysia" Debbie replied.

Matheson noticed that both men seemed surprised.

"Well good for her." Mr. Jenkins the black man replied. He turned to the other man. "Ted, don't forget to set up the conference room tomorrow morning for our meeting."

Just then Val came to the front desk.

"Matheson, what a surprise." She said smiling.

"Hey babe." He said jumping up and giving her a quick kiss.

All eyes were on the two of them and Debbie's mouth fell open. Mr. Jenkins raised an eyebrow.

"I came to take you to dinner." Matheson murmured. "Are you about ready to leave?"

He tried to keep his voice low, but he knew that the others heard him.

"Yeah. Let me get my things." She took the roses and inhaled their scent. "Are these for me?"

"Who else?" he asked grinning.

"I'll be right back" she said handing them back to him.

He sat back down and noticed that the three of them were still staring.

"Is something wrong?" Matheson asked trying to hold his temper.

"No" Debbie said and tried to busy herself with the papers that were on her desk.

"I didn't think she liked white people" Ted whispered to Debbie after Mr. Jenkins walked off following VaLysia.

Matheson couldn't hear him clearly, but he read his lips and figured it out.

"I can guarantee you that she likes white people" he replied looking at Ted whose face turned red.

Ted then turned and walked off from the desk. Debbie picked up the phone and made a call.

VaLysia came back with her things.

"Let's go" she said.

"Where are we going? We have both of our cars, so who's going to drive?"

"I need to go home and shower and change" he said. "I can pick you up if you want to do the same, or you can follow me home."

Val thought a minute. "I'll follow you home. I'm starving and I don't want to hold things up."

She followed him to his apartment and parked beside him. She walked in with him and he threw his keys on the table and walked straight upstairs. He began undoing his coat as he went up the steps.

Val lingered downstairs a moment and then went upstairs when she heard him in the shower. She had deliberately avoided spending too much time with Matheson. Work had kept both of them fairly busy and she had not been in his apartment since that night.

She had to admit to herself that she missed him terribly. She talked to him on the phone constantly, but truth be told she was afraid that he would have another episode so she had limited her alone time with him. Avoiding him had not always been easy and she made excuses for not being alone with him for any length of time.

She heard the shower cut off and she hurried back downstairs and sat on the sofa. When Matheson got dressed they would leave, have dinner and then she'd tell him that she had to go home. She knew it wasn't right, but she didn't know what else to do. She wanted to wait until after her returned to the doctor at the end of the week before they became intimate again. She wanted to be sure that everything was alright. Matheson had become upset when she first told him this, and he had tried to reassure her that he was fine.

She heard him come downstairs and was surprised to see that he wasn't dressed. He was still damp from the shower and he was bare except for a towel he had wrapped around himself. His hair was plastered to his head and he looked sexy as hell. She tried not to stare.

"You'd better get dressed" she said nervously.

"I don't want to just yet" he replied staring at her. "You've put me on rations and I'm dying here Val. Have some mercy."

She stared at him; his ocean eyes were devouring her. She felt trapped knowing that she most likely would not get out of the apartment without giving him what he wanted.

He walked over to her and pulled her into his arms, kissing her. "It's been twenty seven days" he murmured. "You can't give me your goodies and then cut me off. That's not right."

Val couldn't think straight. He seemed to have the fastest hands possible. He had already unbuttoned her blouse and his hand was cupping her breast. The towel left nothing to the imagination.

"I just want you to be alright." She said breathless from his kisses.

"I am fine" he said undoing her pants. She felt them fall around her ankles.

"Please, babe. Don't say no to me. I need you." His voice was husky with need and she felt own arousal.

"Alright Matheson" she said. "Let's go upstairs."

He started to protest, but she quickly stepped out of her pants and ran upstairs with them in her hands. He followed quickly behind her.

He walked over to the dresser and she walked over to him covering his hand with hers.

"No. Don't put that cream on." She looked into his eyes. "I don't care if you don't last that long. I want to taste you."

Her confession made him groan and he pulled her into his arms and kissed her hard.

"I love you so much, Babe" he whispered.

"Love you too" she said as he pulled her down on the bed. She quickly slid down his body. He was erect and she ran her hand over him squeezing him in her hand. He groaned again and she ran her tongue over him. Even though he had showered, she could detect his scent with his arousal and she found it made her hunger for him even more. She took as much of him into her mouth as she could enjoying the feel and taste of him.

"That's enough" she heard Matheson say after a few moments pulling her back up to him. "Come up here."

He lay back on the bed and pulled her up to his face. He positioned her over his face and held her cheeks in his hands as he devoured her. VaLysia threw back her head as her orgasm came quickly under the attention of his tongue.

He quickly flipped her on her back and he was over her, looking at her as he pushed himself inside of her. He held her by the ankles stretching her legs apart and his strokes which had started out slowly were now becoming more frenzied.

VaLysia reached up and touched his face and he kissed her hand. Sweat was pouring off of his face and she could see that he was so close. He suddenly stopped and pulled out, surprising her.

"Get on your knees" he commanded in a low growl.

She did as he asked and he quickly pushed his way inside her again behind her. She had never seen him like this. She didn't know how he was doing, but he had lasted longer than she thought possible. He was slamming into her hard and furious. He was talking to her, telling her how good she felt and that she was a very bad girl for keeping her sweet cookies away from him.

"You got them now, baby" she replied laughing.

"Oh yeah!" he yelled in agreement. She heard him cry out and felt his orgasm as he pulsated inside of her. He fell on the bed beside her and she quickly looked at him, but he was wide awake and grinning at her. He pulled her into his arms. "I'm fine. See?"

"I see" she replied smiling. "To say that I'm pleasantly surprised is an understatement."

"I've been following doctors orders" he replied. "Doctor Lilly told me that most likely my premature status came about because I was rushing to get it over with when I would try to take care of things in the shower. He told me to change my mindset and try to do make it last longer when I do that. I had to retrain my body. What do you think I've been doing over the last month since you've been avoiding me?"

She kissed him on the nose. "I can see that you've been making good use of your time."

"My father has set it up for me to go to Virginia for two weeks next weekend. Are you going to be able to go with me?"

"I don't think I can be gone longer than a week Matheson" she replied. "Do you want me to go down with you, or do you want me to come down after you've been there a week and stay the second week? We can then come back together."

He stretched and sat up. "Come down the second week. The place most likely is a mess and I'm going to hire some people to help clean it up. I can keep myself busy for a week, I think." He turned to her. "I have something to tell you. "

"What is it" she asked suddenly worried at the serious look on his face.

He pulled her towards him. "I did get a little distressing news from the doctor on my last visit. However it's nothing to be alarmed about."

"What is it?" she asked.

He hesitated a moment. "Well, it seems that my sperm count is low most likely due to stress." He replied. "The doctor doesn't think that we can't conceive on our own. However he feels that it is most likely due to all the stress in my life and by changing some things, my levels will return to normal."

"Well I guess I have nothing to worry about since I've been working so much and I'm two weeks late with my shot!" she said. "I hadn't planned on doing this today."

Matheson laughed. "That's when it's good…when it's not planned."

"Well I'm starving and you promised me dinner." She protested. "So come on and feed me."

"Yes ma'am" Matheson said getting up.

He pulled her into the shower and they showered together and Val had to admit that him lathering her up made her want him again. He was happy to oblige her. She wondered if it would be like this when they were married. She was exhausted when they left the apartment even though she tried not to show it. She was just glad that Matheson didn't have another fainting spell. In fact, he seemed just fine. If anything, he seemed insatiable.

"No more. Let's go" she said pushing away his hands as she tried to get dressed.

They left the apartment and he took her to Cagney's again. She ordered the deluxe seafood platter.

"Are you going to be able to eat all that" he asked surprised when their dinner arrived.

"You've worn me out! What I don't eat, I'll take with me" she replied.

"You're staying with me tonight, right." He asked grinning.

"I don't have any clothes, Matheson. No I'm going home." She replied.

"Can I go with you?" he asked sheepishly.

"Well…"

"Please" he asked chuckling. "I'll make it worth your while."

"Alright. But I have to get up early! There will be no all-nighters Mr. Hendricks!"

"We'll see" he replied.

He looked at the dessert menu.

"Are you ordering?" he asked looking at her over the menu.

"I don't think I can eat another bite" she said sitting back in the chair.

He then ordered chocolate brownie with chocolate syrup and a scoop of ice cream.

"Oooh that sounds good" she said after he placed his order.

"You didn't want any, remember?" he replied.

"Maybe I'll just get a taste" she said grinning.

The waiter brought the brownie back to their table and it had a single candle sticking out of it. Val looked at him puzzled.

"Why the candle? It's not your birthday and it's not mines either."

He quickly reached in his pocket and pulled out a box and opened it revealing the ring he had chosen.

"Will you marry me, VaLysia" he asked taking her hand. He quickly slipped the ring on her finger.

Val was shocked. The diamond was huge with three smaller diamonds on each side of the main stone. The white gold sparkled under the light.

"It's beautiful" she said trying to hold back the tears.

"I want you to be my wife, my soul mate. Forever and ever we will be together as one. Say yes."

"Yes" she replied her voice choking.

She looked down at the ring and then back at him. He leaned across the table and kissed her. They had drawn some attention and a few people began to clap. Val looked up to see the waiter still standing there.

"Congratulations" he said sincerely.

"Thank you" she replied.

Just then a man walked over to their table.

"I'd like to take your picture." He said. He quickly took several before VaLysia or Matheson could protest.

"I'm Jake Harris from The Daily News." He looked at Matheson. "I'd like to do a piece on you two. Interracial relationships still draw a lot of attention. I'd like to interview you two and get your perspective."

"I don't know" VaLysia said. "What do you think Matheson?"

"Matheson?" the man said looking at him surprised. "Are you Matheson Hendricks, who owns the Hannah's chain?"

"My father owns the chain" Matheson replied.

"I remember you" Jake said excitedly. "I interviewed you last year when all those problems started with Wall Street and the Banks. I interviewed you and your father about the effect it was having on small business. Remember?"

"I remember" Matheson replied.

"Well, this is something." He said looking from Val to Matheson. This is a real human interest story. Golden boy, heir to Hannah's in an interracial relationship. Our readers will love it."

Matheson stood up and dropped his napkin on the table. "Look man, I don't want this all over the paper. Our private lives are just that, private."

"Don't worry" Jake replied. "I'll stick to the facts."

He looked at Val. "What's your name?"

"VaLysia Chamberlayne. Matheson's right. I know you have a job to do, but I'd appreciate it if you would limit what you say. I'm sure that there are more important things for you to report on."

Jake grinned and wrote down something on his pad.

"Don't worry. It'll just be a quick blurb, that's all."

Matheson grabbed Val's arm. "Let's go."

They left the restaurant and Val wondered what Jake was going to put in the paper.

Matheson drove back to his apartment and quickly packed a bag and followed her to her apartment.

Matheson called his parents and gave them the news. He didn't want them to find out if it should show up in the paper and Val did the same thing and called her grandmother.

"We are probably just overreacting." Matheson replied as Val hung up the phone. "Most likely there won't be anything in the paper at all."

Even as he said it though, his gut feeling told him that was not the case.

He found out as much when he got up the next day and arrived at work. Not only did the two of them make the bottom of the front page, it was in live and living color. Val was holding her hand and the ring could be seen on her finger. He was looking at her and they both were smiling.

The caption read:

Hannah's heir pops the question at a romantic dinner in Cagney's restaurant.

The short article then stated that it was the first part of a series exploring interracial relationships. It requested that people log in on line and give feedback.

He dropped the paper on the counter. Well, Jake didn't waste any time. He didn't really care, however, what people thought and what their opinions were. He was going to marry Val and nothing was going to change his mind!

Chapter 15 Ignorance and Attitude by Brenda1257

Ignorance and Attitude

All eyes were on Val when she arrived at work. She noticed several small groups of people who had gathered and several had the newspaper. She could just imagine what they were saying.

"Congratulations, VaLysia!" Mr. Jenkins said smiling as he walked by her heading to his office.

"Thank you" she replied.

She walked into the mailroom to remove any mail that was in her box. She decided to ignore the stares she was receiving as she entered the mailroom.

Terry who worked in Customer Service was the only other person in the mailroom. Her burgundy highlights were pulled back in a ponytail. When it came to the angry black female, Terry was it. Mr. Jenkins was telling her to lighten up, she wondered if he had given the same talk to Terry even though she was only a Lead in Customer Service and not a Manager. She was always ready for a fight and Val knew one was coming. Terry gave Valysia a disapproving look and rolled her eyes.

"Do you have a problem" Val asked her never backing down from a challenge.

"You're no better than any of the rest of us because you got a rich white boy" she remarked popping her gum. "I always knew you were a sellout with your proper talking self."

"Oh really" Val replied getting her mail. "I have a right to chose who I want to be with just like anybody else."

"Well, that's true." Terry remarked nastily. "But money doesn't make up for satisfaction in the bedroom. White boys don't have the rhythm in their hips to know how to satisfy a real black woman in bed."

Val stared at her in disbelief.

"That's the most ignorant thing I've ever heard" she replied.

"I know for a fact that most of them don't have what it takes in size and if they do, they don't know how to whip it on you like a brother does." Terry remarked. "Most likely you'll end up with a brother on the side after you marry him. Just wait and see."

"I don't think so" Val replied walking out of the mailroom. People could be so ignorant. She couldn't believe Terry had said that to her! She didn't know her like that! Did she think that because both of them were black women that she had the right to say such things to her? How ignorant!

She walked into her office and shut the door. She didn't want to have to do twenty questions with these people. The night with Matheson had been wonderful. She looked at the ring which looked even more gorgeous in the daylight. No rhythm indeed! Her man had plenty of rhythm and everything else it took to satisfy her. How could Terry come to such a conclusion just because he was white?

After they arrived at her apartment the night before, he had made love to her again, slowly and tenderly. Afterwards he had fallen into a deep sleep. She was glad because she was tired herself. Sleeping with him just felt right. It was as if they had always been together. She couldn't believe the things people would say out of their mouths.

When he woke up that morning, Matheson appeared more relaxed and content than she had ever seen him before and told him as much. He told her that it was because of her and she couldn't begin to express to him how much she loved him, how right it felt for them to be together. He had kissed her and she knew instantly that she wanted him again. He seemed to sense her need and was happy to oblige her. She couldn't remember ever being this happy.

There was a knock on the door and she looked up to see Mr. Jenkins walk in.

"Good morning, VaLysia" he said grinning. "I guess you know you're the talk of the office this morning."

"I can just imagine what they're saying" Val replied sipping a cup of coffee.

"Well the entire office is abuzz about your engagement." he said laughing pulling up a chair. "Personally, I'm happy for you. I could see a dramatic change in you over the last several months. Love does that to you, you know."

VaLysia laughed. "Is it that obvious?"

"It is to me." he said. "But get ready for the backlash. This white boy of yours comes from old money, a family that is well known in the community. You're going to be under the microscope for sure."

"Really Mr. Jenkins" Val replied "I don't expect to find new people lurking outside my door. We're just two regular people."

Mr. Jenkins shook his head. "Hannah's has been around a long time. The Hendricks' are well known for all of their community service. The old man, your boyfriend's grandfather was big on that. Have you met him?"

"No, not yet." Val replied.

"Well, he's something else!" Mr. Jenkins responded. "He must be ninety five years old. I heard that he still comes down to the original Hannah's every now and then. I'm surprised that your boyfriend hasn't introduced you two."

Val was surprised too, but didn't say anything.

"Well I'll let you get some work done" Mr. Jenkins said rising up.

Val watched him walk out of the door and then she thought about what he had said. Why hadn't Matheson mentioned his grandparents? She really didn't know any of his family outside of his mother and father. Maybe there just hadn't been time. After all, he worked a lot of hours and so did she. This engagement, even their time of courting had progressed rather quickly. Still, she would mention it to him.

She picked up the phone and called her grandmother.

Mavis was sounding especially chipper when she answered the phone.

"Hey Baby" she said.

"Hey, Grandma. I guess you saw the paper this morning" Val said leaning back in her chair.

"Sure did Baby" Mavis replied. Val could hear the laughter in her voice.

"I'm glad I called you last night, Grandma" she said. "I guess it's official"

"Oh yeah, it's official alright" Mavis replied. "I got a call from Emily this morning. She's tickled pink herself."

"What about Matheson's other family members? I haven't met them yet. What about his grandfather?" Val replied sounding worried.

"Oh you mean Mr. William"
Mavis asked. "He and Ms. Jessica live in Florida now. They come up on occasion."

Well that answered the question as to why Matheson hadn't introduced her to them. Val felt a bit of relief.

"Do you think they'll be upset" Val asked.

"Yeah, I think they will to a certain degree" Mavis admitted. "But times are changing. Now his father was a nice man. He was a good church going man. He was a hard worker too. Mr. Gregory wasn't his only child...I think he had a set of twins, a boy and girl. I can't remember their names. They are way older than Gregory. "

She laughed in the phone. "I think Mr. Gregory was a change of life baby. His sister and brother are like fifteen years older than him."

"Really?" Val said surprised.

"Yeah. When I first met Mr Gregory when Ms. Emily fell in love with him, those two were already grown and married I think."

Val digested this bit of information. Not only did Matheson have his grandparents, he had an uncle and aunt too!

"Don't worry about it none, Baby"
Mavis cooed sweetly. "It is what it is. They'll just have to accept it."

"How come they aren't involved with the business?" Val asked.

"Who says they're not involved. Of course they're involved." Mavis replied. "They didn't want hands on like Matheson and Mr. Gregory, but they work behind the scenes I think. Matheson can tell you about it. Ask him."

"I'm sure Matheson will tell me about his family now that we're engaged" Val replied trying to sound more confident than she felt at the moment.

She hung up the phone wondering what else about Matheson he failed to tell her about himself and his family.

                                        ((***))

Matheson walked into the bakery that morning feeling better than he had in a long time. He quickly walked in the back and checked supplies. Gary was already there.

"Did you sleep here last night?" Matheson said laughing.

"Not exactly" Gary said grinning. "I did see your smiling face on the front of the paper this morning. Congratulations, man."

"Thanks" Matheson replied grinning.

Gary had worked for the store for over five years. He was young and started straight out of high school. Matheson had encouraged him to take some classes at the community college and Gary had done so and graduated the prior year. He was a hard worker and Matheson felt that he deserved to be the Assistant Manager.

"I'm going to be going on a short vacation soon" Matheson said. "I've talked to my father and he's agreed. I'm offering you the position as Assistant Store Manager if you want it."

Gary looked surprised. "Really? Of course I want it! Who wouldn't? It's more pay, right?'"

"A lot more pay." Matheson assured him.

"Well that's great!" Gary replied.

It wasn't long before the bakery was full of people. Matheson couldn't remember it being this busy in quite a while. He noticed the curious stares and the whispers but he ignored them. No one approached him and he decided that he wasn't going to volunteer any information. A few did say 'congratulations' but that was all.

A little after one he looked up to see Callie Harris walk into the bakery. He wondered what she wanted. He was going to be as polite as possible, but he knew that he was playing with fire when it came to Callie.

"Hi Callie" he said more cheerfully than he felt.

"Matheson" she said coolly. "Can I talk to you?"

Matheson looked around. There was no line and Gary seemed to have things under control. "Sure" he said wiping the flour from his hands. He led her back to his office. He didn't want her on the floor if things got out of hand.

"What's up?" he asked ushering her to a nearby chair as he shut the door.

"You tell me." she spat. "What's with you and this black chick? You couldn't have been seeing her that long and now you want to marry her?"

"Callie, I asked her to marry me because I love her. I want to marry her." Matheson replied patiently. "I don't understand why you're upset. You and I have never been anything but friends."

"I've always loved you Matheson." she said with tears in her eyes. "We belong together. Our families would be a nice fit. You and I have so much in common. We've known each other forever. It was meant to be."

Matheson shook his head. "Callie, you and I have been friends and that's all. I've never seen you that way. I look to you as a sister. I don't see you as anything else."

Callie jumped up and pressed her body against his and began caressing him through his pants. "I don't want to be just a friend Matheson. I'm a woman. I can make you happy. I know I can. I can do whatever she does to get you off. I mean, I know she's experienced and all, but so am I. I'm a fast learner. You know you're taking chances sleeping with her. I mean those people are the cause of all the aids going around."

Matheson pushed her away. "Callie, please. I'm sorry. I need you to understand that I like you, I really do, but as a friend. That's all."

"Are you going to tell me or not?" Callie snapped.

"Tell you what?"

"Tell me what she does that she was able to wiggle a proposal out of you. I certainly hope you're using condoms!"

Matheson laughed. "Callie, I've already told you that I'm in love with her. It has nothing to do with sexual techniques. Just accept what I'm telling you and we can still be friends. Otherwise I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

She stared at him a moment.

"You're serious?"

"Yes, Callie" he replied sincerely.

He watched as her shoulders slumped and he suddenly felt sorry for her. He knew that her parents had programmed in her head that the two of them belonged together. Nothing could be further from the truth. He had to make her understand.

"Callie, you will find someone just like I did. I'm not the one. Even if I had never met VaLysia, it wouldn't have been you. Do you understand?"

She looked up at him and nodded.

"You'd better get an aids test and make her get one too." she replied finally.

"I'm fine. Don't worry" he replied.

He walked her out of his office and shook his head as she left the store. He looked around and saw that the store was still quite busy.

Time passed quickly the rest of the day and he knew that they had made more that Monday than they had in quite a while. A few people gave him congratulations. Several looked as if they wanted to say more but thought better of it. He was sure that in a few days things would die down just as quickly as it had started.

He finished his shift and left Gary with the two part time people to finish up. He wanted to get home and shower and hope that he could meet Val for dinner.

He was surprised when he walked out to his car to find Tameka, Val's cousin leaning against his car.

"Are you stalking me?" he asked surprised.

"Silly boy" Tameka replied giggling. "I'm not stalking you. I pass by here the same time every day when I get off. It seems that we both get off about the same time. I work down the street at the Department of Motor Vehicles, remember?"

She grinned at him showing all of her teeth. "Seems like we're about to become family, huh?"

"Something like that" Matheson replied.

"Well, I talked to Grandma and she wants you and Val to come to dinner tomorrow evening. I just stopped by to tell you since Val won't return her calls."

Matheson opened the driver's side door. "If she won't return her calls, what makes you think that she wants to come to dinner?"

"I was hoping that you'd convince her" Tameka replied.

"I doubt it." Matheson said starting the engine. "However, I will give her the message. See you later" he said as he pulled off.

His phone rang as he was headed home and he glanced down at it to see that it was his mother.

"Ma, I'll call you back" Matheson said. He didn't like talking on the phone while he was driving.

"Matheson, just stop by the house a minute. It's important" his mother replied.

"Alright, Ma" he said and then hung up. He wondered what was going on.

His mother rarely called and asked him to stop by unless it was important. He drove to the house and saw that his father's car wasn't there. He wondered what was up and he was sure that if something was wrong with his father, his mother would have told him.

Emily was waiting in the kitchen.

"Matheson!" she said running up to him and kissing him.

"Hey Ma" he replied grinning.

"You look different" she remarked immediately. She stared at him.

"You got that sleepy look like your father." she replied.

"What does that mean?" he asked

"It means that VaLysia's drained you dry no doubt" Emily replied.

Matheson laughed. "Really, Ma! You're something else."

"I didn't hear you deny it" Emily replied getting a soda out of the refrigerator.

"You didn't ask me over here to see if I'm dehydrated so what's up?" he replied.

"Your Aunt Hannah called. Seems as if some reporter called her and asked her what she thought about your engagement. Well she told him that she didn't know what he was talking about. She in turn called your Uncle William Jr who in turned called your grandfather. "

"So what?" Matheson replied getting a soda from himself. "They were bound to find out eventually. I don't see what the problem is. Dad bought both of them out years ago. Why in the world should I care what they think?"

His mother sighed. "They are still your aunt and uncle. The business was named for your Aunt Hannah. They never liked me. Hannah tried to convince her mother that I was really after your grandfather William, Sr. She couldn't believe that I wanted Gregory. He was so young. Anyway, things worked out but she never took to me. She used to meddle in things when Gregory took over and he ended up buying her out just so he could have control. His brother never was interested in baking. He was the easier of the two to sell his interest."

"I still don't understand what the big deal is." Matheson replied.

"I am sure that she is filling your grandfather with all sorts of tales" Emily replied worried. "She thinks that I had something to do with you and VaLysia getting together."

"I wouldn't worry about it." Matheson replied. "I'll talk to Gramps myself. I mean he may not agree with my choice, but it's my choice and not his."

Emily picked up the phone. "May as well get it over with."

Matheson watched as she quickly dialed the number and handed him the phone.

He heard his grandfather answer the phone.

"Hi Gramps!" he said.

"Who is this?"
his Grandfather replied on the other end.

"It's Matheson"

"Matheson? Boy I ought to take you out behind the barn and whip your butt!"


"Why is that, Gramps?"

"I haven't heard from you in months for one" his Grandfather replied. "Now Hannah tells me that you've run off and eloped with some colored girl? Boy, have you lost your mind? It's not legal is it?"

Matheson laughed. "It's legal, Gramps. But I haven't married her yet. We're just engaged."

"That's great!" his Grandfather replied. "There's still time to change your mind."

"I won't change my mind, Gramps" Matheson replied.

"Boy, colored and white weren't meant to marry! What does your father have to say about this?"

"It's my decision. I told him that I love her. He can't change my mind and neither can you." Matheson replied.

"Boy, you're bringing shame on the Hendrick's name. Why can't you find a nice girl? A decent girl. You're a good looking boy. Why are you doing this?" his Grandfather asked angrily.

"I love her. I want to marry her." Matheson said. "I know things like that weren't done in your day, Gramps but times have changed. She's the one for me."

"That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard. You marry a woman to improve your station. You marry a woman who can contribute something to the marriage. No colored woman can improve your position in the community son. In fact, this foolishness can hinder the business and profits will go down for sure."


Matheson tried to be patient. "Business was booming in the store today, Gramps. Business hasn't been hurt one bit!"

"That's because right now it's a freak show and you're the number one freak! God, Matheson. Wake up boy! Don't do this thing."


"I've got to go, Gramps." he said. He was tired of listening to his Grandfather's tirade.

He hung up the phone and looked at his mother who shook her head. His grandfather was hard of hearing and had talked loudly in the phone. Matheson was sure that she had heard the entire exchanged.

"I'll see you later, Ma" he replied as he walked out the door. He knew that this was just the beginning of confrontations with his friends and family members and he was not looking forward to dealing with them.

Gary

Chapter 16 Confrontation and Conflict by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Tameka hunts down Val and Matheson.  Val faces her other grandmother.

Confrontation andConflict

Matheson met Val for dinner and told her about his meetings with her cousin Tameka. She frowned up her face especially when he told her about her grandmother wanting them to come over for dinner.

"I'm not going over there!" she snapped. "All they want to do is to give you the third degree and try to figure out what you see in me."

Matheson could see the pain on her face at just the mention of her grandmother. He couldn't understand why these people thought less of Val just because she was dark. It didn't make sense to him. As far as he was concerned it was no different from disliking someone because they were a red head. He felt that she needed to face her family and stand up to them.

"It can't be all that bad" Matheson protested following her to the table. Val grunted in reply. They sat down and Val looked at the menu. She held it up and he couldn't see her face. He knew that she was upset and didn't want to talk about it.

Matheson decided not to press the issue. He wanted a nice quiet dinner and he didn't want to fight with her.

"I 'm going down to Virginia next week" he said changing the subject. "I hope you can come down the following weekend.

"I'll be there" she said putting her menu down and smiling at him.

They ordered dinner and Matheson decided to let the subject of her father's mother drop for the moment. They had a pleasant dinner and were walking back to the car where they found Tameka leaning up against Matheson's car. Matheson couldn't believe this woman's gall. She grinned at the two of them. She was wearing another pair of tight jeans with silver studs coming down the sides of the legs. She had on a thin white blouse and he could see that she had on a multicolored bra underneath. The buttons on this top was stretched and her ample bosom appeared to be trying to free itself from the confines of her top.

"God, Tameka!" Val snapped. "Why don't you give it a rest?"

Val was clearly irritated. "Do I have to get a restraining order?"

"Look" Tameka replied calmly, "I'm only here because of Nana! She wants to see you. She asked me to get you to see her by whatever means necessary. I've got better things to do than chase you two all over town. In fact I've got a hot date tonight!"

"Well maybe you need to get on your way then" Matheson replied trying to keep his voice level. What in the world could be that important that Val's grandmother would sic Tameka on their trail?

Tameka leaned against the car and folded her arms looking at them. "So what do you want me to tell her?"

She quickly reached out and grabbed Val's hand holding it up to see the ring.

"Umm...nice" she said before Val snatched her hand away.

"Look Tameka" Val hissed. "I don't want to see her. Tell her that! Why is she so interested now? She never was before and certainly she wasn't interested before Papa died!"

"You're still holding onto that?" Tameka asked sighing as if she was bored. "Really, Val...what happened to being a good forgiving Christian?"

Val looked at Matheson and he quickly unlocked the doors forcing Tameka to step away from the car so that he could open the door for Val to get in.

"Such a gentleman." Tameka remarked looking at Matheson.

Val ignored her and Matheson turned to her after he shut the door.

"Look it's obvious to me that you're going to pester us until she does this. Fine! Lead the way and I'll follow you to your grandmother's house!" He was tired of this. Val needed to face her grandmother. He knew he'd have to face his own relatives soon enough.

Tameka looked surprised. "Now?"

"Yes now" Matheson replied. "Is that a problem?"

"Well alright then!" Tameka said giving him her brightest smile. She quickly got into her vehicle which was parked next to his. He opened the door and got in. He could tell by the look on Val's face that she was not pleased with him.

"I told you that I didn't want to go" she protested. "It's going to be a big mess for sure!"

"Look" Matheson replied pulling out of the parking space and following Tameka. "There's not use ducking and dodging. We need to meet this head on! We will face her together and the moment she insults you, we're out of there. You just say the word! !"

"Promise" Val whispered.

"Promise" Matheson replied.

He didn't like Val feeling unloved and inferior by her own family members! All of this weirdness was because she was dark? He didn't understand this one bit!

"Look, I'm going to need you to be strong for me when I tackle my grandparents and my aunt and uncle" Matheson said grinning at her. "They are no picnic either."

"They can't be that bad" Val replied thinking about all the things her grandmother had said to her in the past. She had to admit that it hurt and she didn't want to face her now. However, Matheson was right. She had to be strong. She could do this!

They followed Tameka to her grandmother's house and Matheson pulled up behind her. He got out and walked around the car and opened the door for Val while Tameka watched. He put his arm around her protectively.

"It'll be alright." he whispered to her giving her a quick kiss.

Tameka quickly walked up the walkway ahead of them and opened the door with her key. Matheson noticed that Val's head had dropped. He wasn't having that! She was no longer a child!

"Hold your head up" he hissed. "You are a beautiful dark woman. I love you. You have nothing to be ashamed of. They're the ones with the problem."

Val's head snapped back and she looked at him. She wasn't even aware that she was hanging her head until he said something to her.

They walked into the house and Val looked around. Nothing seemed to have changed. They walked into the front door and the marble toped table was still there with artificial flowers. The white living room furniture that no one could sit on was still there with the white plastic covers. Val could never understand why someone would buy furniture and not sit on it. Her grandmother was in the den and seeing her instantly filled her with dread. Matheson's arm tightened around her waist.

Ethel Chamberlayne was a small woman whose skin was the color of tan leather. Matheson could tell that she had been a beauty in her day and that she knew it. Her mixed grey hair was pulled back in one long braid down her back and her light brown eyes roamed over them as they entered the den.

"Well, well well" she remarked. "VaLysia. So you've decided to come by and remember that you have another grandmother."

"Hello Nana" she replied meekly. Matheson could tell that she was intimidated by her grandmother. She did not walk over to her, but stayed by Matheson's side.

"It's a shame that I had to read the newspaper like a common stranger to find out that my granddaughter is engaged." Ethel Chamberlayne remarked to Val and then turned to Matheson. "Mr. Hendricks"

"Ma'am" Matheson replied nodding his head. He looked at Tameka who was leaning against the doorway and then to Val who was staring at her grandmother. She looked as if she wanted to be anywhere but where she was at that moment. He rubbed her waist and she looked at him and he gave her a smile of encouragement.

"I must say I was surprised" Ethel Chamberlayne said looking at the two of them. "I know you come from a good family, Mr. Hendricks. Hannah's is well known and I know you can provide for my granddaughter. It is right that you come and meet the rest of her family. VaLysia has more family than just the hired help that took care of you, you know."

"If you are referring to Mavis," Matheson replied coolly "She is more than just hired help. She is family. I've never thought of her as anything else."

"But of course" Ethel said looking down her nose at him in a condescending manner.

"Your granddaughter has a career of her own." Matheson continued. "However, I am sure that I can provide her whatever she needs. You should be proud of your granddaughter, Mrs. Chamberlayne!"

Ethel's eyes roamed over Val and Matheson could see her disapproval which grated on his nerves. Someone needed to bring the old biddy down a peg or two and he just might be the one to do it!

"VaLysia, you really should do something about that nappy head of yours. God, a perm can do wonders!" Ethel said rolling her eyes.

Matheson could feel Val tense up. "I like her hair just the way it is" he replied. "I don't see anything wrong with it!"

"Hmph! That's just curiosity talking" Ethel replied. "It looks a hot mess to me."

"Nana, I'm not changing my hair" Val snapped. "I didn't come here to be insulted! You wanted to see me, so I'm here. Say what you want to say and then Matheson and I will be leaving!"

"I wasn't insulting you." she remarked. "I was just stating facts. So when's the wedding."

"We haven't set a date yet." Matheson replied sitting down and pulling Val down beside him. He could see that she was shutting down and he held her close. He hoped that making her face her grandmother wasn't a mistake.

"So tell me" Ethel said sipping her coffee. "What brought on this quick engagement, VaLysia? Are you pregnant?"

Val gasped. "No Nana, I'm not pregnant"

Matheson quickly piped in. "I'm in love with your granddaughter, Mrs. Chamberlayne. That's why I want to marry her."

Ethel stared at the two of them for a moment. "Well wonders never cease! "

"Your granddaughter is beautiful" Matheson replied. "Inside and out. You of all people should recognize that. I fail to understand your surprise!"

"Well I'm glad you think she's beautiful." Ethel replied. She looked at Val "You're very lucky, young lady!"

She looked at Matheson. "You should have some very beautiful children. They most likely won't be dark like VaLysia, but you never know. Her father was fair and so was her mother and they had Val. "

"I don't care how dark they are." Matheson replied. "That's not important to me...and not to VaLysia either."

"Hmph!" Ethel responded. "You'd better pray that they have hair like yours. It'll be easier to manage! Now, I myself have Indian blood. My hair has always been extremely long, thick and black. My son's was the same way. We were surprised that Val didn't inherit any of our tendencies. I would have thought that she would turn out with a better grain of hair at least!"

"All we care about is that they be healthy" Matheson replied. "It seems to me that wanting light skin and long straight hair is a slave mentality. It's like you love the white blood in you and hate the black. That doesn't make sense to me."

"It's Indian blood" Ethel replied correcting him.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, Mrs. Chamberlayne, but most black people have white blood in them and not Indian. That's a fact. There are not enough American Indians in the US to have fathered all the mixed black people who claim they have Indian blood. It's just easier to accept that you're part Indian than to admit that light blacks are a product of being raped by their white owners." Matheson watched as Ethel's face turned red in anger.

Tameka who had been quiet all this time standing in the doorway walked over to him.

"Who are you calling a slave? You don't know anything about us! If Nana says it's Indian blood and not white, then it's Indian blood."

"Have you checked it out?" Matheson continued.

"I don't need to check it out" Ethel replied. "You're a smart mouth cracker that's for sure! Maybe your people were the ones going around raping field slaves!"

"Perhaps, but I'm not proud of the fact as you seem to be" Matheson replied.

"How dare you!" Ethel snapped standing up. "You don't know anything about me!"

"I know that you're hung up on unimportant things such as skin color and hair texture!" Matheson snapped.

"Look Nana" Val said looking at her. "Why can't you just be happy for me? Why must you keep bringing up the fact that I'm not light like the rest of you all? We're all different! Why can't you accept that?"

Ethel sat back down and began sipped her coffee. She was not going to let this cracker upset her. "Honey, I accept you. The problem is you don't accept yourself. Now you've gone out here and got this white man to make up for your own insecurities and imperfections. Now I must admit that I contributed to it a little bit. For years I didn't believe that you were my granddaughter for obvious reasons. However your father bought me the proof before I died and I accept it."

"Me?" Val snapped shocked. "After all these years of you calling me the 'mailman's baby? "

"It was a joke" Ethel said sitting her cup down. "Let's not get into all that in front of company, VaLysia."

"I'm not company" Matheson said getting up. "I think we'll be leaving now. This has truly been an education!"

"Likewise" Ethel responded. She looked at Val. "How long do you think you'll remain married once he shows his true colors and calls you a nigger."

Matheson stood up. "Let's go VaLysia!"

"I touched a nerve didn't I boy?" Ethel hissed.

Val turned to her grandmother. "I don't know what's more pathetic, you sending Tameka after us or this display of bigotry that you've shown this evening. I'm ashamed to be your granddaughter. You don't ever have to worry about seeing me again!"

"You think this white man is your savior?" Ethel said following them to the door. "He'll be tired of the novelty before you have your first anniversary, mark my words!"

Matheson turned to her and Val ran past him to the car. "What kind of woman are you?" he asked his voice dripping with contempt. "Isn't it enough that you insult me, but now you're trying to destroy your own granddaughter's self esteem? Val was right. We should never have come here!"

He walked out to the car and saw her leaning on the car and wondered if she was alright. The tears were running down her face and he quickly opened the door for her and she got in.

"I'm sorry." he said pulling off. "I guess it was a mistake coming here."

Val wiped her eyes with a tissue from her purse "No, it needed to be done. I'm glad we came and now it's over. I'm never coming back here again"

They drove back to Matheson's place and she wasn't saying much. Matheson knew that she was thinking about all that her grandmother had said. No matter how much she said otherwise, he knew that her grandmother had inflicted another wound into her wobbly self esteem and it angered him.

They walked into the apartment and he walked ahead of her upstairs. Val didn't know if she wanted to stay or not. She thought about asking Matheson to take her home.

She came upstairs and was surprised that he had already undressed.

"I don't think I'm in the mood for sex, Matheson" she said looking at him.

"That's not what this is about." he replied. He pulled her to him and turned her around to face her reflection in the mirror.

He unzipped her dress and pulled it off of her shoulders and watched as it pooled at her feet. He then unhooked her bra. She didn't resist but allowed him to do what he wanted. She stood before the mirror looking at his reflection as he stood behind her.

"What do you see?" he asked kissing her shoulder.

"I see you standing behind me naked and me with just my underwear on!" she quipped.

"I see a beautiful woman." Matheson whispered. "When I first saw you, I thought you were pretty, but you were frowning the whole time you were at dinner and I wondered what it would take to make you smile. When I first saw you smile, it was in the bakery that day you gave me the almond milk, remember?"

"I remember" she said.

"I knew then that I wanted you. I didn't want to admit it then, but I did. When we first kissed in the music room, your lips felt wonderful under mine. Your grandmother is a bitter old woman whose time has passed. All she can hold onto is her light skin and long hair. I think she's jealous of you."

Val looked at him surprised.

"Jealous? I don't think so Matheson"

"Yes, I realized it today. I saw how she looked at you. She's known all along that you were your father's daughter. You look just like him. She still has his pictures all around the den. She lost him to your mother and she's angry about it. She looks at you and sees their love for each other and it pisses her off. That's the real reason she's angry. You told me that he was her only son out of six children. He left her and she was unhappy about that."

Val stared at his reflection in the mirror. Could that be it? Was that what her grandmother's lack of love for her all about?

"But it wasn't my fault!" Val protested.

"Doesn't matter. She could risk cutting him off when he was alive. It was all about separating him from your mother. It was never about you really. By the time your mother died, the damage was done. Your father still didn't come back to her, don't you see? He was devastated by your mother's death and his mother's contempt. It was just too much for him I guess."

Val turned and looked at him. "How do you know so much?"

"I look. I listen. I observe." Matheson replied kissing her neck. "You've told me a lot about your father and mother. Mavis told me a few things and tonight I was able to put it all together."

He took her breast in his hand, caressing it. "I love your breasts."

"But they are kind of small" she protested.

"But your nipples are large and I love the feel and taste of them." he replied. He fingered her nipple and it was hard from his attentions.

"It looks like a cow teat." Val replied. "I wish they were small and pebbly like other women's. I have to wear padded bras just so they don't show through my clothes."

"I don't" he said. "they really turn me on."

Val closed her eyes as he continued his leisurely caresses. She felt herself getting wet.

"I love the taste of them" Matheson continued. "I love the contrast between our skins. I'm glad you're dark."

He pulled her underwear down and stared at her reflection in the mirror and noticed that she had trimmed her pubic hair.

"Don't ever shave it all off" he said rubbing his fingers through it. "I love it"

"It's just so much and I thought that...you know you'd like it better if I did" she responded. "I didn't think you'd like a mouth full of hair."

He continued to caress her, pulling lightly on the hairs as he ran his fingers through it. " Don't worry about that" he whispered.

Val leaned back against him as his fingers brushed over her. His touch always excited her.

"I want you to forget about your grandmother." Matheson whispered. "You are loved."

"I know that" she said kissing him. She looked into his ocean eyes and saw only love and felt her heart swell.

"I'm going to need you to return the favor when my family comes to town" he said kissing her.

Val sat on the bed and pulled him down on her before falling back. "I love you Matheson Hendricks"

He grinned at her. "We'd better stop before I won't be able to control myself"

"Don't control yourself" she countered.

He responded by slowly licking his way down to her naval. Val closed her eyes and reveled in the sensations he was creating. She could feel his nose running over her mound. He hadn't used his tongue yet.

"I love the smell of you when you're aroused" he murmured as if reading her mind. "It makes me so hard."

"Well I'm glad about that" she giggled.

He responded with his tongue, wet and hot on her. She moaned as he lapped greedily and she heard herself calling his name over and over as her orgasm overtook her vocal cords. Then he moved quickly over her and filled her so deliciously that she cried out in ecstasy. He covered her mouth with his and she dug her fingers in his shoulders as she moved aggressively under him.

"Fuck me hard, Matheson!" she hissed. "Make me scream like we heard your Mama scream!"

He complied ramming into her with a force that sent her spiraling into another orgasm. It was at that moment that she realized that she liked it rough and told him so, encouraging him. He quickly turned her over grabbing her by the waist and had her on her knees.

"Oh yes!" she gasped as he filled her again and gave all of himself to her.

Val could hardly remain on her knees as he forcefully pounded into her, but she loved it. She then felt him stiffen and he cried out her name as he poured himself into her. They both collapsed on the bed breathing hard. Val looked at him.

"I think that was the best yet" she said trying to catch her breath.

"You may be right" he replied laughing. "Maybe we should visit your grandmother more often."

Val rolled her eyes at him and gave him a playful slap on the arm before kissing him.
Ethel Chamberlayne

Chapter 17 A Much Needed Vacation by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson witnesses his Aunt Hannah's disapproval.

A Much Needed Vacation

Matheson made preparations to go to Williamsburg to check out the house there. He had plenty of good memories there. His father and mother would go there in the spring and they would ride the ferry from Williamsburg to Surry.

The property he found was worth quite a bit of money now as it had a wonderful view of the river. He hoped that it hadn't been vandalized. Mr. Webster, the man that watched out for the property for his father assured him that everything was fine. He checked on the property at least once a week and his father paid him well to do so. Matheson was looking forward to the trip. Both he and Val could use a break and get away from it all.

Mavis told him that most likely she would give the property back to him and Val as a wedding present provided that they would go there from time to time to spend some time together. It wasn't a hard promise to make.

After the incident with her grandmother, he could detect a sadness in VaLysia that he hadn't seen before. He knew that despite what he told her, that she was hurt by the things her father's mother had told her. She had been working so hard with her recent promotion and he didn't want to bring it back up. He knew that she needed a break also. The week together would do them both some good, but first he had to spend the first week getting the house straight.

He had talked to Mavis about their visit to Ethel Chamberlayne's house. She was emphatic that they were not to go back. Ethel was a bitter and vindictive woman. Matheson couldn't agree more. He had no desire to see her again.

He was all packed and ready to go and went by his parent's house to get the keys before he drove down. He wished that there was a way for Val to come with him, but he would make preparations for her to come the following week.

He pulled up to his parent's house and saw that they had company and used his key to enter the house. He could hear voices and walked back to the kitchen. He was surprised to see his aunt and uncle talking to his father and mother.

His Aunt Hannah who was named for the business and her twin William Jr. were fifteen years older than his father. Matheson hardly saw them growing up as it was rare that they ever visited more than twice a year. When they did see him, he felt that they both were formal and stiff. It seemed to Matheson that the two of them never approved of his parents' marriage and it was one of the few times his mother would hold her tongue for his father's sake.

They both looked up when he walked into the room. His parents were sitting at the kitchen table and his mother was looking none too happy about the visitors.

"Matheson" Hannah said coolly. "How are you?"

"I'm fine" Matheson replied looking around. "What brings you to Baltimore?"

Hannah looked at him over her wire framed glasses. She reminded Matheson of an old school teacher. Her hair was pulled back in a bun and he never remembered her smiling…ever! He was not surprised that she never married. She gave him a disapproving stare and he stared back at her with a look of boredom.

His uncle was a bit warmer. He did smile occasionally. He reminded Matheson of his father except he was older and his hair was totally white. He did marry and had two daughters and four grandchildren.

"We came to check on you." His uncle replied breaking the pause in the conversation. "I saw that picture in the paper about your engagement. I must say that we were totally taken aback."

"Well I'm going to work" Gregory was saying. He looked at his siblings. "You're welcome to stay here if you'd like. " He looked at Matheson. "Are you on your way to Virginia?"

"Yeah. I came for the keys" Matheson replied looking at his mother who was looking none too pleased with his father at the moment. The last thing she wanted was for him to desert her with the two of them there.

His father tossed the keys to him and he caught them with one hand. "Drive safely, son"

"So what's in Virginia?" Hannah asked looking at him. She crossed her arms across her chest.

"One of our properties in Virginia; I'm checking on it." He replied jingling the keys in his hand. His actions seemed to irritate Hannah so he did it again.

"Is your little girlfriend going with you?" Hannah said wrinkling up her nose at the thought.

"If you're speaking of VaLysia, the answer is no." Matheson replied. "She's working."

"So when's the big day?" William Jr. asked looking at him.

"We haven't set a date yet" Matheson replied.

"I'm sure your mother is ecstatic" Hannah replied. "She's good at throwing marriages together, you know."

Emily tapped her fingers on the counter top and didn't reply. Matheson knew that his mother was trying to hold her temper for his father's sake, but if Hannah continued, all bets would be off and the fur was sure to fly. He looked at Hannah who was giving him a challenging stare. He wasn't afraid of her! Who did she think she was fooling with?

"Why don't you just say what's on your mind" Matheson replied irritated. "Stop beating around the bush, Aunt Hannah!"

"Look" Hannah snapped. "You are the sole male heir in this family! Why in the world would you go and marry one of them? I mean really Matheson! "

"One of what?" Matheson snapped back. "She's a beautiful woman and I love her."

"I know these days it's not politically correct, but to hell with that! She's a black girl! How in the world would you think that this would be acceptable?" she replied fanning herself.

"I don't recall asking your permission and last I checked I am 31 years old, Aunt Hannah!" Matheson snapped. "My personal life has nothing to do with managing Hannah's!"

"No need to get testy" Hannah snapped back. "You are just as willful as that mother of yours, doing whatever comes to your head. That's how she wooed your father by stalking him since he was thirteen years old…disgraceful! My father went along with that madness back then and no one said a thing. However, I feel that something must be said and said now!"

"Now wait a minute!" Emily hissed angrily. 'You will not disrespect me in my own house. Do not talk about me like I'm not even here! Gregory was a grown man when we started dating! You wouldn't know since you and William Jr. were long gone! You two ran off to do your own thing while your father struggled to make your namesake work. I invested heavily in his dream and you two are now reaping the benefits of my hard earned investment!"

"You didn't invest in Hannah's for the business!" Hannah spat. "You had your eyes on my brother and for all I know you could have been carrying on with my father as well!"

"That's enough you two!" Gregory snapped. He glared at his sister. "You will respect my wife, Hannah. I don't know what your problem is-"

"God, Gregory!" Hannah said cutting him off. "When will you wake up? The reason your son is with this girl in the first place is because she's the granddaughter of your wife's housekeeper! She probably set the whole thing up just like she set my father up to get her hands on you!"

Matheson walked over to his aunt and his mother grabbed his arm stopping him.

"Don't pay her any attention, Matheson."

"What's wrong Emily? Don't you want your boy to hear the truth! You don't know whether he's Gregory's or my father's son!"

Emily gasped and quickly attempted to slap her sister-in-law but William Jr. grabbed her hand.

"Your father was my business partner, nothing more!" Emily growled. "How dare you make such a statement in front of your brother and my son?"

"Hannah, that's enough" Gregory replied. "I don't appreciate your overly vivid imagination."

"Look Aunt Hannah" Matheson said standing in front of his mother. "You need to check yourself. This is really none of your business! As for my paternity, I know who my father is. Keep your lies to yourself! My pending marriage is also my business. You don't like it, so just get over it!"

"None of my business?" Hannah replied laughing. "It's family business! The business is named after me. Of course we all will be affected by your bad choice! The business will suffer and I still have a part in that, you know! I sold most of my part to your father, but I still retain ten percent and so does your uncle!"

Matheson looked at her and gritted his teeth. His aunt reminded him of Ethel for a moment and it was then that he realized that she too was jealous! She was jealous of his mother and father's relationship!

"You need a man, Aunt Hannah" Matheson replied. "Maybe if you got some personal male attention every now and then, you wouldn't be so sour! You could put that imagination of yours into more productive ventures…like pleasing your man if there's one out there who'll have you!"

Hannah gasped, shocked at his words.

"How dare you, boy! I'm old enough to be your mother! You will not talk to me in such a guttural manner! Male attention indeed!"

Gregory began to snicker. He turned to Matheson. "Apologize to your Aunt" he said trying to maintain a straight face. "That remark was inappropriate. I'm sure that some man out there would be willing to take the task in hand."

"Maybe it was" Matheson replied "I apologize, Aunt Hannah. However, it is the truth. You need some man to clear the cobwebs from up under your skirt. "

Hannah rolled her eyes as she stared back at Matheson. Who did he think he was? She could see that she would get no help from her two brothers.

"I don't accept your half baked apology, Matheson. Has all the world gone to hell?" She looked at her brother William. "Say something, William!"

William looked at his nephew. "Are you determined to do this thing?"

"Yep."

William shrugged his shoulders. "What's there to say? The boy's mind is made up."

Hannah threw up her hands. "You are absolutely no help!"

William shrugged again.

"I'm outta here" Gregory said walking towards the door. "Hannah, I'm not responsible for what'll happen to you if you continue to antagonize Emily."

Matheson watched him walk out and turned back to his mother after he heard the door shut.

"Do you need me to stay?" he asked ignoring Hannah. "I don't want to hear that the police had to be called here after I've gone on the road."

"No son. You need to get going" Emily replied. "Your aunt and I have an understanding. We understand that we totally dislike each other. I only tolerate her because I love your father."

"I'm the only sane one in this family" Hannah replied pouring herself a cup of coffee.

"That's a matter of opinion" William Jr. replied. He walked over to Matheson and patted him on the back. "So I'm a lawyer, you know. Have you got a pre-nup?"

"That's the first productive thing you've said since we arrived here" Hannah replied.

"I don't need a pre-nup, Uncle William. " Matheson replied. "It's about love, not money."

"It's always about money." William replied.

"I don't want to hear this" Matheson said. "If it's just about money, then I'll give it to her up front. "

"You're crazy!" Hannah replied. "You probably don't even know what your portion of Hannah's is worth!"

"I'm well aware of my net worth, Aunt Hannah. "he replied patiently.

"Besides" Emily said crossing her legs. "He is the beneficiary of my entire estate, which is twice as much of what he'll get from Hannah's."

Hannah's eyes got big. "All the more reason for a pre-nup."

"You know, when you get good sex that's worth more than any amount of money" Emily replied.

"Oh good God!" Hannah snapped.

"Why your brother….you know he had to be trained when we first got married, but he was an excellent pupil" Emily continued.

"I don't want to hear this!" Hannah snapped. "Sex isn't everything, Emily. Good god!"

"He gives excellent head. He really knows how to eat a girl out, my Gregory" Emily continued. "I lost my voice the other night from all the screaming he made me do. God, I'd gladly sign over my entire estate for him to eat me and pound into me like he did the other night." She closed her eyes for a moment reliving it and Hannah stared at her with her mouth ajar.

By now William was laughing uncontrollably and Hannah had turned red as a beet. Matheson stared at his mother not believing that she was sharing so much with his aunt.

"William, does your wife give good head?" Emily asked looking at her brother in law. "You can be so stiff and stuffy at times. A good blow job will loosen you up for sure!"

Matheson stared at his mother in total disbelief and William began coughing.

"Really Emily-"

"Well does she?" Emily insisted. "Did you get a pre-nup out of her all those years ago when you married her?"

"Well, no…"

"I bet she doesn't even give you head, right?" Emily continued. "Maybe you should have gotten a pre-nup that included a provision for blow jobs…once a week. You'd be a different man, I guarantee it!"

"What has this got to do with anything?" Hannah snapped. "We should be discussing Matheson and this interracial marriage of his!"

"If you had ever had a man's tongue exploring your vagina, you'd know my point" Emily replied patiently. "Sex is always a part of everything between a man and a woman in love! You're both talking race and pre nups and all that. You're worried about money and business. All I want to know is if it is good in the bedroom. That's not everything, but it's a big part. If it's not right there, nothing in the marriage will be right!"

She turned to Matheson.

"So, is it good, Matheson?"

He stared at her a moment and didn't reply. All eyes were on him.

"Is it good, Matheson" she repeated patiently with emphasis. "Do you give it good, and do you get it just as good?"

Matheson stared at his mother and didn't say anything still trying to process everything that had been said.

"Well?" Emily repeated her voice rising. "Is the sex good or not, Matheson? Answer me!"

"Yes "he heard himself saying. "Very good."

Emily turned to William and Hannah. "There! "

"That doesn't prove anything!" William replied. "It's foolhardy to let your sex drive make all your major decisions for you. That doesn't make a marriage. Lots of people have good sex and end up divorced."

"I said that it wasn't everything, just a big part" Emily replied. "Communication is a big thing. You've got to communicate in and out of bed and you've got to be willing to compromise."

She turned to Matheson. "You understand that, don't you son."

"Yeah, Ma. I understand" he said. He couldn't believe that they were talking about sex as casually as they would talk about the weather. He never knew what his mother was going to say!

"Good. Then we're done talking about this." She pointed to her cheek and he kissed his mother dutifully as she indicated.

"Have a safe trip and call me when you get to Williamsburg" she said turning from him.

She turned back to Hannah. "You know it's still not too late for you. A good orgasm can do wonders for your temperament you know."

Matheson walked out of the house shaking his head. He didn't know what to think about his mother sometimes. He knew that she bought up the conversation about sex just to irritate his aunt. He snickered to himself. He was sure that his father wouldn't appreciate her telling his brother and sister about their sex life, but nothing seemed to surprise his father when it came to his mother.

He pulled off and began to wonder what in the world was going to happen at his wedding. Val had her own crazy relatives to deal with and when he thought about his aunt, he wondered if they would be able to get through the ceremony without a major blowup.

He had been on the highway for about an hour when Val called and he related the conversation that had occurred earlier. Her laughter was catching and he found himself laughing at his mother's antics right along with her. Val said that she couldn't wait to meet his family and he told her that he was sure that she would eat those words when the time came.

He hung up from her and then his phone went off again and he saw from the number that it was his mother calling.

"I want you to know everything is fine" Emily was saying. "I don't want you to be worried about me and Hannah."

"What is it between you and Aunt Hannah, Ma?" Matheson asked.

"Oh, I don't pay her any attention" Emily replied. "She's just jealous because of the close relationship I have with her father. That's why she makes those ugly remarks. While she was running off being a socialite, I had rolled up my sleeves and invested in Hannah's. Her father always called me his 'other daughter' and that always stuck in her craw. He doesn't even call me Emily. He calls me Daughter."

"I could see that she wasn't too happy about that little sex soliloquy you gave earlier. I thought she was going to faint for sure." Matheson replied laughing.

"Oh well I heard her say once that sex was something a woman had to tolerate. I don't know if she's ever had sex because if she had, she'd never make such a statement. Then again…maybe she had someone that didn't know what they were doing!"

"I don't want you two clawing each other's eyes out" Matheson replied.

"Tsk! No chance of that!" Emily replied laughing. "It's much more fun to use words. I think they're both going to stay at a hotel. I eluded to the fact that Gregory and I can get quite loud when we make love so they opted to stay at the Holiday Inn."

"You really know how to get what you want, don't you?" Matheson said snickering.

"Of course!" Emily replied.

Matheson hung up the phone and continued to laugh at the situation as he drove down Interstate 95.
Hannah HendricksWilliam Hendricks Jr

Chapter 18 Family Faceoff by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Val meets Hannah and Billy Hendricks

Family Faceoff

Val drove up to Emily's after she got off from work. Matheson had been gone for five days and she had heard from him every evening after he came home from work. She missed him and couldn't wait to catch the train to Virginia.

He told her that the house was in excellent condition, though a bit dusty and he had hired a few people to help him clean it up as well as a couple of guys to clean up the yard. He told her that the weather was beautiful and that he couldn't wait for her to come down.

At first she was going to drive down, but Matheson suggested that she catch the train so that she could ride back with him. She even managed to get off a half day on Friday and that would put her in Virginia a little after 6 pm if she caught the 1:15 train. Emily had called her that morning and told her that Matheson had a few things he wanted Emily to send down by Val and she had agreed to stop by to pick them up.

She pulled into the driveway and noticed a white Lincoln parked in front of the door and figured that Emily must have some company. She hadn't planned on being there that long and she felt Emily would be tied up with them and that would work in her favor.

She decided to go around back as most likely Emily would be in the kitchen. She rang the bell that was on the back door and waited. She was surprised when an older woman answered the door. She was tall with mixed gray hair that was pulled back in a tight bun.

She wore a simple black skirt and pink blouse and the pale pink lipstick she wore did nothing to improve her features. She seemed to be wearing a permanent frown.

"May I help you" she asked looking down her nose at Val. She had her small wire framed glasses on a chain that hung around her neck. At the moment they were perched on her nose and she looked over them suspiciously at Val.

VaLysia looked back at her feeling the woman's immediate disapproval. With her guard firmly in place and her attitude apparent, she stared back at the woman defiantly.

"I'm here to see Emily" she said pushing her way past the woman walking into the house. So this must be Matheson's spinster aunt she thought. Val didn't like the way this woman was giving her the once over and appeared to quickly dismiss her.

"You can wait in the doorway and I'll get her" the woman snapped surprised at Val's boldness in walking past her into the house.

"No thanks" Val replied walking in and looking around for Emily.

"Who are you" the woman asked following her. "What are you selling?" Val could hear the irritation in the woman's voice.

Val turned around and faced her. "I'm VaLysia Chamberlayne. Who are you?" Val knew who she was, but she wasn't giving the woman the satisfaction of knowing that Matheson had talked about her.

"I'm Hannah Hendricks!" the woman replied. "Obviously you don't know who I am! Do you always come barging into people's homes uninvited?"

"I was invited" Val replied sitting down on a bar stool. "Where's Emily?"

Suddenly the woman's eyes narrowed. "You're the one, aren't you?"

"One what" Val asked glaring back at Hannah.

Hannah took her glasses off and let them hang by the chain around her neck. She looked at this black girl with large gold earrings and wondered what in the world Matheson saw in her. She wasn't ugly…but she wasn't pretty either! What in the world was wrong with her hair? She doubted if the girl could get a comb through those knots on her head! She wasn't a small girl by any means. Hannah looked at her and figured she had to be at least a size fourteen and those hips of hers! Black girls all seemed to have big hips she felt because they consumed too much junk food and grease! Surely her nephew could do better than this!

"You must be the woman that conned my nephew into a proposal. You're the girl that he's talking about marrying!" Hannah said in total disbelief. She walked over to Val and stuck her finger in her face. "I'm onto your game, Missy! You and your grandmother think you have set up a sweet deal for the rest of your lives! I know how you people think! We have convinced Matheson to get a pre-nup! You won't get a dime from Hannahs!"

Val stared back at her. She knew that the woman was lying. Boy, Matheson has some nutballs in his family too!

"A pre-nup?" Val responded laughing. "I haven't been asked to sign one and I doubt if Matheson wants one anyway."

"Don't be so sure of yourself!" Hannah shot back. "You will sign a pre nup!"

Just then a white haired man walked in the room. He was tall and handsome with piercing blue eyes like Gregory's. He was older than Gregory and Val knew it must be his older brother.

"Hi there" the man said grinning and extending his hand. "I'm William Hendricks." He turned to his sister. "I could hear you all the way down the hall."

"I'm VaLysia" Val responded smiling taking his hand.

"Ah, Matheson's girl, right?" William replied taking her hand. "I must say that you're not what I expected."

Val raised an eyebrow and drew her hand back. "What exactly were you expecting?"

"To be truthful" Hannah replied with her hands on her hips "We were expecting someone…more refined. It would seem to me that if Matheson would lower himself and his family name to marry a black girl, the least he could do is get one that dressed half way decent!"

Val's mouth fell open. "Refined? There's nothing wrong with the way I dress!"

" I would think that Matheson would choose someone worthy of the Hendricks name" Hannah replied waving her hand in a dismissive fashion at Val. "I expected a stunning beauty if Matheson chose a black girl. I'm just surprised at his taste that's all."

"Now Hannah, that wasn't nice" William replied looking from her to Val. "You don't know this girl. I mean, you don't know that much about her family…we don't want any repercussions You need to watch your mouth!"

Val looked at him. What was he talking about….repercussions? William looked at her worried.

"I'm sorry. I apologize for my sister. We don't want any trouble from your family." he replied running his hand through his hair.

"My family?" Val questioned. "What about my family?"

"He means that he doesn't want any of your thug relatives coming to your rescue" Hannah replied crisply. "I know how things operate. I was telling my brother earlier that Baltimore is known for its gangs! All black people have family members that belong to gangs. It's a proven fact!"

"Thug relatives? Gang members?" Val gasped in disbelief. These people were a trip! Next thing they'll be asking her is if she is in a gang!

"Look, I just stopped by because Emily asked me to" she said looking at the two of them. "Where is she?"

"She's upstairs" William replied. "We didn't mean any harm-"

Val walked by him and headed up the steps. She didn't want to hear anymore out of those two!

"Now just wait a minute!" Hannah snapped. Val ignored her. She wasn't going to stand around listening to their rhetoric. However she had never been upstairs in the house before and she wandered around looking for Emily. She didn't want to go back downstairs and hear anymore wild accusations.

She walked around not wanting to call out to Emily. She hadn't realized how big the house really was. She tapped lightly on a door and opened it. It was a bedroom and she noticed immediately a picture of Matheson on the wall. He looked about ten. The room was decorated for a boy and she wondered if it was his old room.

She walked around wondering what Matheson was like when he was a boy. She heard footsteps in the hall and peeked out the door and relived to see that it was Emily.

"Emily!" she said sticking her head out of the door.

"There you are!" Emily replied clapping her hands together. "I was wondering if those two had run you off."

"They almost did" Val said walking back into the hallway. "They think I'm after Matheson's money and that I have family that are gang members."

Emily rolled her eyes. "That Hannah! She watches too much television!"

She led Val into her bedroom.

"I have shipped those things Matheson wanted down to Virginia. They should arrive at the Train Station before you get there and he can pick the box up when he comes to get you." she said handing her a receipt.

Val then followed her back downstairs. They found Hannah and William sitting in the kitchen eating some coffee cake.

"You two need to mind your manners!" Emily said walking in with Val. "Don't be asking my future daughter-in-law a bunch of asinine questions!"

Hannah looked at them over her glasses which were now back on her nose.

"Someone needs to ask some questions around here. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what's really going on between this woman and your son. You're blind as a bat, Emily. This so called love affair could just be a smokescreen, you know!"

"A smokescreen for what" Val asked clearly exasperated. "Matheson and I are in love."

Emily grabbed her long red hair and began to braid it in one braid. "Don't pay her any attention, VaLysia. She doesn't have the slightest concept of what it's like to love somebody. Hannah only loves herself!"

Val looked at William who was now licking the icing off of his fingers from eating the coffee cake.

"William here is sexually deprived, so he eats" Emily replied. She looked at Val. "The poor dear has never had a blow job! Can you imagine that?"

Hannah sat down the cup of coffee she was drinking. "Here we go again with the sex talk. Give it a break Emily. I'm sure the girl here can teach you a few things. She doesn't need to hear any of this."

Emily smiled at Hannah as if she were talking to a small child. "Hannah dear, any sex talk I speak of now is for your benefit. I am sure that VaLysia is getting good and plenty from my son."

"At one time I heard the boy was a little slow in that department" Hannah remarked casually. "You remember Jessica, that girl he was seeing a couple of years ago." She looked at Val. "Anyway I ran into her and she told me that your boy was a little fast on the trigger which is why she broke up with him."

Emily gasped and Hannah looked directly at Val. "Of course money can compensate for his shortcomings...and a good acting job, of course."

Val wanted to slap Matheson's aunt, but resisted. The old biddy needed to be brought down a peg or two.

"Emily I have to go" Val said looking at her and ignoring Hannah.

"Don't rush off" William said. "We haven't gotten to know our future niece yet."

Emily looked at Hannah. "You take back what you said about my Matheson! It's not true!" She turned to Val. "It's not true, is it Val?"

Seeing the concern on Emily's face, Hannah went for the jugular. "It's been said he's a little limp in the wrist too." She held out her hand dropping her wrist. "This whole marriage thing may just be some sort of coverup for what he's really into."

Val had heard enough. She turned to Emily. "Emily don't listen to her! What does she know!"

Emily looked at Val. "Tell her! Tell her it's not true!"

Val looked at Emily surprised. "I don't have to prove anything to anybody. Matheson is a man" She looked at Hannah. "All man...every inch a man. I love him and he loves me."

"That's good to hear" William replied. "Hannah seems to speculate that he's queer or bisexual."

"Well the boy could never keep a girl!" Hannah snapped. "Something's not right."

"You shut your mouth!" Emily snapped raising her voice. She began to pace back and forth and Val knew that things were about to get out of hand.

"Emily, you're not listening to her tales are you?" Val asked. She had to leave, but she didn't want to leave Emily upset. She turned to Hannah.

"What is your problem? You're a guest in her home. You need to mind your manners."

Hannah clucked her mouth. "And you're just the person to teach me, right? You're hiding something...you and Matheson! Emily needs to know the truth, girl."

"The truth?" Val snapped her voice rising. "The truth is that Matheson is all man and a very good lover! That's the truth. He's not gay and he's not bisexual either!"

Emily stopped pacing. "You tell her, VaLysia!"

"You need to stop listening to her Emily. You know your son." Val said watching Emily continue to pace.

"I know you love my Matheson" Emily said. "Hannah is just being mean, as usual."

"I think my sister thinks that with your experience with men that Matheson maybe somewhat lacking and that all this is about money." William said running his finger around the edges of the pan that the coffee cake was in. " Emily thinks that a marriage is based on sex, Hannah thinks that it's based on money. I think that it'll probably end anyway so you need a pre-nup. What do you say?"

"I say that I love Matheson" Val replied. "Emily, you have nothing to worry about. I love him. I don't want his money and if he wants me to sign a pre-nup I will."

"So the sex is good, right" Emily asked hopeful.

"Good God Emily! What do you expect the girl to say? I bet he's not as good as some of the black men she's been with. How could your son measure up to that? I've heard about how endowed those men are...like horses! Do you think that your son can compete with that?"

"You're stupid!" Val said looking at Hannah

and Hannah gasped at her remark in surprise.

Val looked at Emily. "Of course it's good. I love him."

"Good compared to what?" Hannah asked sarcastically.

This woman was really getting on Val's nerves. She wished that Emily would make her leave, but right now she could tell that the woman had upset Emily as she continued to pace back and forth.

"I don't make comparisons...and if I did, I wouldn't have anyone else to compare him to." Val snapped back at her without thinking.

William's eyes widened. "My, my...Matheson found himself an untouched virgin. I'm impressed."

Val was immediately embarrassed. Why had she let that woman get to her? "I've got to go." she mumbled to Emily.

"Well now I can see why the boy is so hell bent on getting married" Hannah replied. "I didn't think girls your age waited that long."

"You leave her alone" Emily snapped. "That's Mavis' granddaughter, you know! I wasn't surprised at all that my Matheson won her over. He's just like his father. " She turned to Val.

"Forgive my sister-in-law. She's never had sex in her life, so she doesn't understand. As I said before, William here has never had a blow job. They're both sexually deprived."

"Good god, there she goes again!" Hannah grumbled.

"I want you to know William I called Felicia earlier before you two arrived." Emily said walking over to him.

"What the devil did you do that for?" William asked surprised. He tossed the coffee cake pan in the sink.

"I told her that you needed a blow job." Emily replied running water in the pan.

"You did what" William gasped walking over to her. "You didn't!"

"I did!" Emily said adding the dish detergent. "I told her to give you a good blow job when you got home. I even gave her some pointers you know, so that she wouldn't gag."

"Oh good god!" Hannah snapped.

Emily turned to Val. "You give blow jobs don't you dear? I wouldn't want my boy to be deprived."

Val started to giggle in disbelief at their conversation. "Uh, I can guarantee you Emily, he's just fine"

"Good, I knew it!" She clapped her hands together. "He's been looking very drained and happy lately."

"Too much information!" Hannah hissed.

"Now Hannah here needs a good lay." Emily continued. "I bet if she met the right man who would just push those legs of hers way above her head and just lay it on her hard and fierce, she'd be a changed woman"

"No doubt" Val said giggling.

"God, Emily! I do not need sex to solve my problems! You are crazy!" Hannah snapped. "I'm doing just fine without it!"

"That's a matter of opinion." William replied. "I may owe you a lot if my wife follows your advice"

"Go on home and find out" Emily replied. "You will have to reciprocate, however. Do you eat pussy, William?"

Hannah jumped up. "That's enough! Don't answer that, William. She's crazy."

"Well do you?" Emily asked ignoring Hannah.

"I'm willing to try it" he admitted.

"Good. You're a little late...but better late than never" Emily replied.

"You're crazy as a bedbug!" Hannah hissed pointing her finger at Emily.

"Maybe, but I'm getting satisfied. You on the other hand, are not" Emily said grabbing Val's hand and leading her towards the door.

"I know you have to go. Kiss my baby for me"

She turned and looked back into the kitchen. "In fact, kiss him on the penis and think of me. "

Val could hear Hannah groan.

"Are you going to be alright with them here?" Val asked looking doubtful.

"Of course, dear" Emily replied back to her chipper self. "Gregory will be home any minute. You go on. I'll be just fine."

Val walked out to the car and wondered whose family was crazier, hers or Matheson's.

Chapter 19 Frankly Speaking by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Emily has it out with Hannah!

Frankly Speaking

Gregory groaned as he pulled up into his driveway. He had worked hard at the downtown bakery in Matheson's absence. It had been a while for him and he ached all over. Even with Gary being assistant manager, he had forgotten how physical the work could get.

He did enjoy baking though. He had almost forgotten how much he enjoyed that part of the business. It had only been a week since he had sent Matheson to Virginia, but it felt like a month. He would be glad when his son returned.

He got out of the car and hoped that his sister hadn't started something with Emily. He glanced at the white Lincoln. He wondered when they were returning to Florida. Didn't they need to go and check on his father, for god's sake!

He walked into the kitchen and saw Hannah sitting on a stool and William looking into the refrigerator. He had a bowl of jello in his hand.

"It's about time you got here!" Hannah quipped. "That wife of yours has gone off the deep end for sure this time."

Gregory was irritated. "I've worked hard today, Hannah. I'm not in the mood for any of your antics."

"Me?" Hannah responded by pushing her glasses up on her nose. "Your wife is the one telling us of your sexual escapades. She can't stop talking about it. You really need to get her in line."

Gregory unbuttoned his white chef's coat. "What are you saying? Was she talking bad about me?"

William shut the refrigerator door and began to quickly eat the jello. "On the contrary. She was relating to us your wonderful sexual know how. Well not just us, but your future daughter in law as well."

Gregory took off the chef's coat and tossed it on a chair and stood before them in his baker's pants and tee shirt. "Oh really?"

"You really need to talk to her" Hannah replied. "It's embarrassing to hear her go on and on talking about such private matters." She started fanning herself with a paper plate as if she was hot.

"I think she's gotten to Hannah" William replied quickly finishing off the jello.

"Excuse me. " Hannah replied. "I'm going upstairs and wash my face. William, I'll be ready to go when I return"

Gregory watched her walk out of the kitchen and then turned to his brother.

"I'm tired." He said looking at William. Where's my wife?"

"She's upstairs. She said that she had to call Matheson" William replied. "Don't worry about Hannah. We're leaving in the morning."

Gregory stared at his brother. "You should have come up here by yourself!"

He pulled out a chair and sat down across from his brother. "Hannah is always stirring up trouble. I don't know what her problem is."

William laughed and leaned back in the chair he sat in. "Your wife seems to think that she's sexually deprived. I think it's her mission to find Hannah a man."

Gregory kicked off his shoes. "She may be right. Good luck in finding a man for our sister though."

William leaned on the table facing his brother. "She's become a real Dr. Ruth. She even gave me some advice. "He hesitated a moment and looked at his younger brother.

"She called Felecia and told her that I needed a blow job. Can you believe that? She actually called her and told her that!" Billy whispered.

Gregory laughed. "That sounds just like Emily."

"She told me that she had convinced Felecia to do it…but that I'd have to…you know…do it to her!"

Gregory stared at his brother and could see that he was clearly uncomfortable with the idea. "So what's the problem?"

William stared back at him in disbelief. "You can't be serious? The problem is that…you know…the thought of it…I mean…I'm not so sure I want to. Suppose it smells…or something."

Gregory stared back at his brother and then got up and opened the refrigerator and got a beer. He turned back to William who was watching him.

"Well I'm not ashamed to admit that I like it. I like the smell…and taste. But to each his own."

William squirmed in his seat clearly uncomfortable with the thought of oral sex.

"She bragged on how much you made her scream…I mean…she brags about you and how you drive her crazy in bed. God man, you two have been married for over thirty years! "

"What is it you're asking me?" Gregory said obviously tired. "Emily…well she's Emily. She likes sex, having sex, talking about sex…whatever. She's a good wife to me. I have no complaints. I enjoy pleasing her and she enjoys pleasing me."

William looked at him and sipped the beer that Gregory had handed him. "She talks about sex like someone normal talks about the daily news or something. She just says whatever she wants to."

Gregory shrugged. "That's Emily"

"You don't mind? I mean, I would be upset if my wife talked to you about how good the oral sex is that she gets. God, how embarrassing…knowing that my brother put his mouth…I mean…the thought of it…"

His voice trailed off and he would not meet Gregory's eyes.

"I'd be more upset if she told everyone that I sucked at it." Gregory replied. "I'd rather she not talk about it, but as I said before, that's Emily. At least she's bragging on me. Why does that bother you? I'm the one that should be upset, even though I'm not. I'm used to her antics. There's nothing wrong with it. I enjoy it. She knows that. Sex with Emily is an adventure. There's never a dull moment. She promised me that a long time ago. She told me that she was a virgin but that she would love to try all sorts of things with me. She kept her promise. "

William stared at his beer. He was the older brother and he couldn't believe that they were really having this conversation. He could remember the day his mother and father told him and Hannah that they were expecting. They were twelve. Gregory was born when they were thirteen years old.

Hannah had been upset at the thought of their parents still having sex and told them as much. Her father had laughed in her face. Still, they hadn't paid much attention to Gregory when he was born. When he and Hannah had turned eighteen and went off to college, Gregory was only five. They had hardly come back home after they had graduated. He married his college sweetheart and Hannah…well Hannah had traveled. Billy felt that she had never really accepted Gregory into her life, but he regretted not spending more time with his little brother. Before he knew it, he was all grown up and marrying Emily.

Gregory couldn't even keep it straight how many years they were apart. He told everyone that there was fifteen years between them, while in fact it was only thirteen. Still, it was a big difference and he regretted that the two of them weren't closer. Now at sixty four and Gregory at fifty one, they were at his kitchen table discussing sex.

"Something's bothering you." Gregory was saying.

Billy looked at him, his face sad. "I regret not spending more time with you when we were younger. I feel that we should be closer as brothers, Greg."

Gregory smiled. "No use crying over spilled milk, Billy Boy. " He looked towards the doorway. "Now if you could find that sister of yours a man, then she'd have something to do besides pester us!"

William snickered. "Yeah, Felicia never wants to come up here with me when I bring her!"

Gregory looked at him and sipped his beer. "So are you going to take Emily's advice and give her a good licking? I can't believe you haven't done that before. You don't know what you're missing!"

Billy threw his empty beer bottle in the trash can. "You talk about it so casually. I don't know if I want to. Don't tell me you like doing it! I mean…suppose I don't like the smell or something?"

Gregory laughed at his brother's worried expression. "Doesn't your wife wash?" He patted his brother on the shoulder as he stood up. "Believe me, she'll let you know if she doesn't like what you're doing. As for liking it, what's there not to like? Remember she's going to be doing you and she may have the same apprehensions. Believe me, once you get it, man you'll want her doing you all the time!"

Billy shook his head in disbelief. "I can't believe I'm talking about this with you. Felecia and I…well we've always kept to the basics. Now your wife has put this idea in her head about giving me a blow job."

Gregory picked up his shoes and chef coat. "Doesn't the thought of it just make you horny as hell, though?"

"Yeah" William admitted. "I can't wait to get home."

"Well then go for it." Gregory replied. "I'm going to take a shower."

He walked up the steps and found Emily in the hallway.

"Gregory, you're home!" she said throwing her arms around his neck.

He kissed her and smiled. "I understand that you've been bragging on me again."

"Well it's the truth!" Emily replied. She rubbed him through his pants. "Are you tired?"

"Yeah, I am Emily. I just want to take a shower." He admitted.

"Would you like me to rub you down" she asked. By now she had undid his pants and was fondling him.

"Emily…we have guests" he protested.

"They're not guests! They are your family" she replied.

Gregory was too tired to argue with her. By now he was fully erect and she was biting his nipples through his tee shirt.

"Shouldn't we go into our bedroom to continue this?" he asked.

"We will in a minute" she murmured. "Don't worry about them…they're downstairs. Maybe they will just leave!"

By now she was on her knees in front of him. Gregory leaned against the wall and closed his eyes. He was too tired to fight her.

"Emily…"

He groaned as she took him fully. There was no use trying to argue her when she was like this. He just went along with it. God, it did feel good though. Emily knew how to get him off.

Hannah watched them through the crack of the bathroom door. She had heard their voices in the hall and had cut out the light and opened the door about an inch. She watched in disbelief as Emily undid her brother's pants right there in the hall. It amazed her that Gregory had no backbone as far as Emily was concerned. She always wondered why and now she felt that she had part of the answer at least.

Her eyes were glued on the two of them as Emily appeared to have total control of the situation. Her brother's weak protest didn't stop her as she took out his most private part and held it in her hand. Hannah was fascinated as she watched Emily fall to her knees and take him fully in her mouth.

Hannah had to admit to herself that watching the two of them was more arousing than she could have possibly imagined. She felt herself become moist and wondered if it was as enjoyable as both of them appeared to be. She thought about what Emily had told her brother William. No wonder he was in such a hurry to leave the next morning.

She watched as Gregory finally pulled Emily to her feet and picked her up. She wrapped her legs around him and she watched as he backed up into their bedroom and shut the door. She then quickly walked past their bedroom and went downstairs.

She found Billy in the den flipping channels on the television and sat down in a nearby chair.

"This whole family is crazy!" she hissed. "Emily was just upstairs in the hallway giving fellatio to our brother in the hallway!"

William paused from eating some grapes he was munching on. "Good for him!"

Hannah rolled her eyes. "Really William! In the hallway?"

"It's his house" Billy replied still munching grapes.

Hannah grabbed the remote from his hand. "How can you be so casual about all this? We have to go by Papa's and tell him what's going on up here. He'll want to come himself for sure! He needs to know what his precious little Emily is up to!"

Billy yawned and stretched his legs in front of him. "Let him come then. God, Hannah. Emily and Greg have been married for years and are still hot after each other. There's something to be said for that."

Hannah threw the remote on the coffee table.

"Like I said, they're crazy. Now Matheson is marrying this fat black girl-"

"She's not fat!" her brother protested. "I think she has a nice figure."

"You mean she has a big ass!" Hannah hissed.

"Boy, I bet Matheson tears that thing up!" Billy chuckled.

"You're beginning to sound like Emily" Hannah replied disgusted. "There's more to life than just sex!"

"I know that!" Billy replied standing. "You're the one that seems so uptight about the subject."

Hannah walked towards the door. "Let's go!"

Just then Emily walked into the den grinning.

"You two ready to leave?" she asked looking at Hannah directly.

"We were about to" Billy replied standing. "Where's Greg?"

"In the shower" Emily stated looking at Hannah. "I made some sandwiches for you to take with you." She looked at William. "Will you get them off the counter and put them in the car?"

"Sure" Billy said walking out of the room.

Emily turned to Hannah. "Did you get an eyeful earlier?"

Hannah gasped. "You knew!"

"I saw the bathroom door open" Emily replied. "I knew it was you."

"Yet you still continued on with your little sex fest!" Hannah spat.

"You didn't look away, did you Hannah" Emily replied. "I have nothing to be ashamed about. I didn't know you were in there until I saw the door crack. I figured maybe if you actually saw someone enjoying sex, you'd be more open to the possibility yourself."

Hannah's face turned red and she pushed her glasses back up on her nose. "You're reprehensible!"

"He's my husband and I love the taste of his penis, even when he's hot and sweaty" Emily said mockingly. "In fact, I like it better that way!"

"Good god, Emily. You are something else!" Hannah replied fanning herself with a piece of newspaper from the coffee table.

"Oh, I know what I am…but what are you" Emily snickered. She walked into Hannah's personal space.

"I know you wonder sometimes what it's really like. You don't fool me one bit! I know you wonder sometimes what's it like to have a man's penis in your mouth…what it smells like…what his balls taste like." Emily closed her eyes for a moment relishing the time she had spent with Gregory a little while earlier.

"You're disgusting" Hannah snapped.

"Am I really?" Emily replied backing Hannah up against the wall. "Well let me tell you. It's wonderful. It makes me hot and horny to suck him until he just cums all over my face. I like it, Hannah!"

Emily watched as Hannah's eyes grew big. Hannah thought Emily looked wild. Sex couldn't be all that good as she proclaimed, could it?

"The thought of that just makes me sick!" Hannah lied. Actually she was getting hotter by the minute and she didn't understand why.

"Oh really?" Emily snickered. "Well I guess then the thought of that hot hard piece of meat between your legs, pumping and pulsating makes you sick too, right? It feels wonderful, Hannah. You ought to try it sometimes!"

Hannah pushed past Emily. "I'm getting out of here! You are crazy! I won't listen to this vulgarity another minute! You need to be institutionalized!"

Emily quickly grabbed her arm and Hannah swung around. Her glasses fell off of her face and she was breathing hard.

"You don't fool me one bit, Hannah Hendricks. " Emily hissed. "You pretend to be above it all while all the time you're aching inside for some attention. I feel sorry for you. A real woman would go out and get what she needs, not just sit around criticizing everybody else. A real woman would grab the world by its balls and fuck it senseless! A real woman would go out and find a man, because he is out there somewhere waiting for you Hannah….all hard and pulsating, ready to fuck you senseless but you're too scared to go out and find him!"

For once Hannah was speechless. She stared at Emily with her mouth hanging open. Seeing that she had her sister-in-law's full attention, Emily continued talking.

"You keep throwing up in my face that I lusted after your brother when he was just a child. Well you're right. When I saw him, I knew I wanted him. I knew that he would be the one to bust this cherry! I waited and I planned and I went after what I wanted. I got him, Hannah. He was more man at thirteen than you are now as a woman of sixty! Even though he was just a boy, I envisioned what he would be as a man, and he hasn't disappointed me one bit! I love him. Every inch of his body, I've explored with my mouth." She narrowed her eyes and leaned close to Hannah. "I've even licked his ass. You know why? Because he's mine….all mine…to do with what I please. I would have given my entire inheritance to have Gregory Hendricks. "

Hannah continued to stare at her sister in law. She seemed glued on the spot that she stood watching Emily who seemed almost wild. The things Emily said…things that were totally foreign to her…and yet sounded so…

"It's a glorious thing, Hannah. To have a man that you adore and who adores you. It's wonderful to hear him scream your name as he cums and it's even better when you scream his. Stop being such a bitter pussy and go out and find yours. You won't regret it."

Emily drew back and seemed to calm down a bit.

"Now go on back to your hotel. William is waiting in the car for you."

Hannah was clearly shaken by all she had heard Emily say. She quickly turned and ran out to the car.

Emily watched as Billy waved and pulled off and wondered if Hannah had taken in anything that she had said to her.

Chapter 20 Calm Before the Storm by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson and Val face prejudice.  Possessive Matheson.  Uexpected Visitor

Calm Before the Storm

The house in Virginia was beautiful! It was much larger than Val had imagined. She looked around amazed. There was an abundance of trees and a gazebo. She expected a small bungalow, but it was a four bedroom brick home with a large two car garage. It had a long driveway that led up to the house which reminded her of the opening scene of the television show Dallas.

Matheson picked her up from the train station and it took him about twenty minutes to get to the house which overlooked the James River. She could see why her grandmother would love it here. It was quiet and peaceful. The only sound she could hear when she got out of the car was the rustling of the wind in the trees.

"This is a great escape" she said looking around the grounds. "I can't imagine why you all don't come here more often."

"No time really" Matheson replied getting the bags out of the trunk of his car. "I always enjoyed my time here. Come on in and let me show you the house."

There were four large white rockers on the front porch and they walked into the hallway where there were steps leading upstairs. She followed Matheson as he took the stairs two at a time. The bedroom he led her into was large with a beautiful cedar bed with matching furniture. There were French double doors which led out to a small screened in porch. Matheson sat the luggage down and she walked over to the dresser and looked in the mirror at her reflection. She could see Matheson watching her closely.

There was a white bowl and pitcher on the dresser and she ran her hand along it. "It's beautiful" she said smiling. She felt that she had stepped back in time as she looked at the chenille bedspread on the four poster bed.

"This will be our room" he said watching her. "It used to be my parent's room. I sent some things down last week to make it homier for us. The rest Ma shipped down."

He walked over to her and took her in his arms. "I used to dream about what it would be like to bring my wife here. Now I'm about to find out."

"Yes, it seems you may get your wish" she replied kissing him. "Show me the rest of the house."

He showed her the other three bedrooms as well another screened in porch that was on the upper level that gave them an excellent view of the river. There was a full bath upstairs and a shower off from the bedroom they were staying in.

Downstairs there was a living room, dining room, a full kitchen, den and a sunroom as well as another screened in porch and a small bedroom off from the kitchen. A half bath was off from the large kitchen as well. They walked out of the back door onto a large deck.

"I had to have the yard cleaned up. It was totally overgrown" Matheson said. "That path leads down to the river and I'll be glad to take you down there later if you want. The house has been cleaned, so you don't have to worry about that. It was in great shape, however there is still some work needed on the exterior."

Just then they saw an older man coming up the path towards the house. His white hair and bushy eyebrows reminded Val of Andy Rooney off of Sixty Minutes. He had on a pair of beige shorts and a navy polo shirt.

"Hi, may I help you?" Matheson asked as he approached.

"I'm looking for the owners of this property" the man replied none too friendly. He continued to walk around looking at the property as if the two of them were not even there.

"Is there a problem?" Matheson asked walking down the steps of the deck to face him.

"I'm James Barnham. I own the property next to this one. Are you the owner?" he looked up at Val and then back at Matheson.

"Actually it's her grandmother's property" Matheson replied looking at Val. "If you have a concern, you can let me or my fiancé know and it will be addressed."

The man looked from Matheson to Val surprised. He crossed his arms across his chest and stared at the two of them.

"It was my understanding that the founder of the Hannah's Bakery chain owned this property. That's what I was told when I bought mine a couple of years ago!" Mr. Barnham snapped none too pleased. "It seems I've been misled. I didn't know black people owned this property!"

Matheson heard Val gasp and his eyes narrowed at Mr. Barnham. Val instantly recognized that look. She had seen it on his mother's face when she became upset. She wondered what Matheson was going to do and hoped that he wouldn't lose his temper.

"Mr. Barnham, you were not misled" he replied tartly. "This property originally belonged to my parents who are the owners of the Hannah's chain. I am their son. What is the problem?"

Mr. Barnham cleared his throat. "Look, I don't want any problems. You liberals from up north think you can come down here and change the world. I've invested a lot in my property. I don't want the value going down with wild parties and noise, jacked up cars with people leaving forty ounce beer bottles lying around. "

Matheson clenched and unclenched his fist. "The only noise I hear right now is what's coming out of your mouth, Mr. Barnham. I don't appreciate your speculation on events that haven't even happened. "

Mr. Barnham began walking around the property. "I see you've been cleaning this place up. I was about to file a complaint about all the overgrown shrubbery, but you've taken care of that. The shutters could use some paint and so could your fence though!"

Matheson tried to be patient. "I am aware of the improvements that need to be made to the property" he replied his voice a low growl. "If you had been paying attention, you would have seen the people here working over the last week."

Mr. Barnham ignored his hostility. He turned to Val. "Have your grandmother call me if she's interested in selling the property. I'm sure that the money I'm willing to pay is more than she could get otherwise."

Val drew back as he attempted to hand her a card. "No thank you, Mr. Barnham. My grandmother has already stated that she's giving it to me and Matheson as a wedding gift. I love it here already."

Mr. Barnham looked at her and then at Matheson and shook his head. "Look, I don't want no trouble down here. It's a quiet community. We want to keep it that way. You're not planning on living here in this house are you?"

Matheson tried to control his temper. "Look Mr. Barnham, whether we live here or not is none of your business. What difference does that make anyway?"

"Matheson, I'm going into the house to get something to drink" Val said. She had heard enough! That Mr. Barnham had some nerve!

"Alright, Babe. I've got this" he replied watching her. He waited until she had shut the door behind her.

"I don't appreciate the way you've been talking around my fiancé!" Matheson hissed. "Her being the owner will not bring down property values!"

"Look boy" Mr. Barnham replied. "You may be the son of a millionaire and all that, but we have different ways down here in the south. If you can't abide by the rules, maybe you need to be somewhere else."

"What rules?" Matheson snapped.

"We have a clean and decent community. I mean you may want to mix with those people, but I'm telling you that there are a lot of people who won't like it" he replied his voice a veiled threat.

"What does that mean?" Matheson replied. "Times are changing, Mr. Barnham."

"Yeah" he spat. "Usually we have to protect our daughters from them…now look at you! What kind of example will you be to other boys in this community? They'll think that it's OK to bring home a black girl once they see the two of you parading around. In my day-"

"It was going on in your day too, Mr. Barnham" Matheson replied patiently.

"Not out in the open" Barnham replied "You never saw any colored people unless they were working in the yard or the house."

"Well thank god those days are over" Matheson replied sarcastically.

Mr. Barnham continued to walk around the property looking as he talked with Matheson following close behind.

"Look, I'm just warning you. People around here will not be comfortable seeing you two. They'll have to try to explain this thing to their kids. "

"Look Barnham, I'm not responsible for your children or anyone else's! If their sons want a black girl, they wanted one before they saw me with Val. Now I've heard enough. You need to get off of my property."

Mr. Barnham stopped in his tracks and turned to Matheson. "Look, I'm just trying to warn you. Other neighbors may not be so friendly. I just came over here to find out the truth so that I can let The Association know. I'm willing to take this property off of your hands. This place has been borderline on getting a warning as it is. I was just trying to help."

"Well the dues are paid up. The property is in order and you've delivered your welcome" Matheson spat. "You can leave now, and tell the Association that a white man marrying a black woman is not the end of the world, nor is it in the Association Handbook!"

He turned and then walked back into the house and slammed the door. He found Val in the kitchen.

"Is he gone?" she asked.

"Yeah, the welcoming committee has spoken" Matheson replied sarcastically. "Can you believe that man? He comes up here and tries to tell me that I'm setting a bad example for the other boys in the neighborhood! He thinks that if they see us together that they'll want to bring black girls home."

Val laughed. "That's funny."

"I don't see how you can be so casual about this!" Matheson replied clearly offended.

"Look, baby" she said walking over to him. "I've put up with crap like this all my life. Don't let it get to you."

Matheson sighed. "I guess this is what Mavis was talking about when she asked me if I could handle the repercussions of being with you."

"It's only just begun" Val said kissing him.

He grinned and ran his hand over her backside. "Well let them bring it on. I like what I got and no one 's going to change my mind."

"Oh, I hope not" she giggled.

"I gave the workers the weekend off. They won't be back until Monday" he whispered. "We can try out all four rooms if you want to."

"I'm hungry" Val said pulling away from him.

"I'll take you to this nice seafood restaurant" he replied "but I need a little personal attention. After all, it's been eight long days."

She looked down at his obvious erection.

"What about the poor example you're setting for all the neighborhood boys?" she teased.

"I think I'm setting a good example" he replied. "If she makes you horny as hell, marry her on the spot!"

He grabbed at her and she evaded him and ran up the steps. Matheson was close behind her and grabbed her as she reached the bedroom. They fell on the bed and he rolled on top of her. Val was giggling uncontrollably. She looked up at him and was surprised at the serious expression on his face.

"What's wrong?"

"We need to set a date for the wedding. I want to get married, Val." His voice was serious.

"I know that, Matheson" she replied sitting up. "I have to get my money together-"

"I'm paying for everything" he replied. "You don't have to save up for the wedding."

"Matheson that's not right. " Val protested. "I have to make a contribution. Weddings are expensive-"

"Look" he replied patiently. "I have six million dollars in the bank. My mother gave me part of her inheritance when I turned twenty one. She still has another twenty five million. Hannah's is turning a profit. I've had all the money any man could want for a long time, yet I was miserable. You have never asked me for one dime since we've been together. Other than the ring and a few dinners, I've hardly spent anything on you. I want to do this. It's our money. Let's spend it."

Val stared at him. He was worth millions. Damn! "I have to pay for something!" she protested. "It's only right. My grandma would have a fit if I let you pay for everything!"

"Then pay for your dress! The rest I'll take care of." He replied. "I'll tell Mavis myself if you want me to."

"Please" his voice was pleading as he pulled up her skirt and pushed her back on the bed.

"I want some married pussy. Sweet and all mines." He confessed kissing her thighs.

"It's already all yours" she reminded him.

"I want it legal. I want my name stamped on this" he said kissing her through her underwear. "I want God and everybody to know its mine and mine alone."

"Matheson's pussy….that's what you want to call it? Shall I have that tattooed on it for you?" she asked as he pulled down her underwear.

He didn't reply immediately as his full attention was now on the task at hand. Started at her toes and began nibbling up her leg. When he reached his destination, he parted her with his fingers and gave her a long lick. She closed her eyes and let him have his way. There appeared to be desperation in him and she felt him bite the inside of her thigh.

"Matheson!" she gasped at his assault on her tender flesh.

"I just tattooed it for you" he murmured. "Get on your knees. You know you like it like that."

"I do" she replied. She got off of the bed and quickly removed the rest of her clothes and he did the same. For a moment he looked like his mother with the wild look he had in his eyes. He was after all Emily Matheson Hendricks's son and she realized now that he did possess some of his mother's ways.

He grabbed her by the leg when she climbed back on the bed and she felt his teeth nip her backside. She gasped and then he quickly kissed the offended area. He parted her cheeks and licked her, his actions totally shocking her. He gave her backside numerous kisses and then he ran his tongue between her cheeks. She felt him run his tongue back and forth along her virgin opening wondering what he was planning to do.

"Matheson!"

"All mine! Everything is mine, even this. All of it!" he snapped before returning to explore the area again. "This is mine too, isn't it Val?"

She was too shocked to reply and gasped as he inserted his finger. "Don't worry…I'll take it slow" he whispered when she didn't respond.

Val didn't protest, but let him do whatever he wanted. When he was satisfied that he had her consent, he inserted a second finger and she gasped. She wasn't sure that she was ready for this. He then removed his fingers and entered her center from behind and she breathed a sigh of relief that he did not try to penetrate her where he'd just removed his fingers.

"That's for another time" he said as if reading her mind.

He gripped her tightly pounding into her none too gently.

"You like this?" he growled. "Tell me you like it!"

His voice was both demanding and desperate. He seemed almost wild, his movements were wild and he gripped her tightly.

"Yeah baby I like it." She replied barely able to catch her breath.

"You miss it? Tell me you missed it!" he demanded raising her up off of the bed.

"I missed it terribly" she exclaimed back at him. "Show me how much you missed it!"

His grip was like a vise now and she felt him raise her hips up on the bed even higher as he exploded inside her. Never had he been this possessive of her and she wondered if the conversation with Mr. Barnham had anything to do with his mood.

He collapsed on the bed beside her pulling her close.

"Eight days is way too long" he whispered. "I'm addicted."

Val giggled. "You're lucky, buster. My time is right around the corner."

He groaned. "Isn't there something you can do to get rid of that?"

"Yeah, pregnancy" she quipped.

"That wouldn't be a bad thing" he said grinning.

"Can't we get used to each other first before we bring a baby in the picture?" she asked.

"I'm already used to you" he replied.

Just then his cell went off and he reached across the bed and saw that his Mom was calling.

"Hi Mom" he said smiling.

"This is your father, Matheson." Gregory said from the other end of the line. "Where is VaLyisa?"

"She's right here" Matheson replied grinning at Val.

"Look, I've got some bad news."

Matheson sat up in the bed. "What's wrong? Is Mom alright? Is it Mavis?"

Val's eyes locked with his at his worried expression.

"No, nothing like that." Gregory replied. "It seems that Billy broke an axle when he was passing through Richmond. Hannah asked the tow truck driver how far they were from Williamsburg and when he told her about an hour, she insisted on going there instead since it would take several days for the car to be repaired."

"You've got to be kidding." Matheson snapped. "Why the hell didn't Uncle Billy stop her?"

"There's no stopping her, Matheson." Gregory replied. "Anyway, she called a cab and asked to be brought to Williamsburg. Billy refused to intrude on you two and decided to stay in Richmond for the night until he could get a rental car. It seems my busybody sister is now stranded in Williamsburg and wants to come to see the property. She suddenly called my father and told him what happened and told him about you and Val going to Williamsburg. Grandpa told her that he gave the property to me and your mother after we were married and so she became hell bent on coming there to check it out. She says that she forgot her wallet and that it's with Billy. You'll have to go and pick her up and put her up for the night, son. As much as she irritates me, she is my sister. Billy will be there in the morning to get her."

Matheson stared at the phone in disbelief.

"I can't believe this!" Matheson spat.

"I'm sorry son" Gregory said. "I tried to offer her a room in Colonial Williamsburg instead, but she insisted on coming to the house. It's just for one night."

Matheson was livid. "Fine! I'll go and get the old biddy, but I'm not responsible for any bodily injury that may occur."

He hung up the phone and related the conversation to Val.

"Well let's go and get her then" Val replied. "It's only for one night, Matheson. How bad could it be?"

Matheson got off of the bed clearly upset. "I could ignore the call and just leave her sitting out there on a bench somewhere!"

"That wouldn't be right, Matheson" Val replied. "She's just being difficult…and nosy!"

She kissed him. "Look, let her look. We have nothing to be ashamed about. Maybe she'll leave here a more educated woman."

"You have to have an open mind to be educated." Matheson replied. "Maybe I should send her over to Barnham's house and let her stay over there! Come on, let's get this over with!"

Val quickly dressed and wondered what else was in store for them on this so called stress free vacation.
Hendricks Va. Home

Chapter 21 Common Ground by Brenda1257

Common Ground

Matheson tried to keep his temper under control as he drove through Williamsburg to the Outlet Mall where Hannah was supposed to be.

He spotted her after driving around for about fifteen minutes as the Outlet was packed with people and that only irritated him further. He saw her sitting on a bench before she saw him and he quickly parked the car as someone was pulling out.

"Now Matheson, keep your cool" Val warned. She could tell that he was tense and angry.

"Wait here" Matheson replied getting out of the car and slamming the door.

He walked over to Hannah who was sitting on a bench with her hands clasped together. She did not look at him directly.

"Hannah" he remarked crisply pointing in the direction where he had parked. "The car is over there."

Hannah didn't say anything, but got up and walked to the car following him. She knew that he was angry at her.

"Matheson-"

He cut her off and turned to her, his anger apparent. "I don't know what caused you to pull this ridiculous stunt!" he snapped. "I have been working long hard hours and I wanted a little time to rest and recuperate. I wanted some time with my woman, Aunt Hannah. I know you can't comprehend what I'm talking about-"

"I'm not stupid, Matheson" she protested.

"What are you then?" he snapped back at her. "What in the world would possess you to come down here uninvited? It's not on your way home. You deliberately came here to ruin my time with Val and I don't appreciate it!"

"That's not it at all" she protested following behind him.

Matheson waved a dismissive hand at her and continued to walk to the car. "I don't want to hear it!"

"You can stay the night, but I hope Uncle Billy comes and get you as quickly as possible. You're a miserable old woman and you can't stand to see anyone else happy! I am happy for the first time in years and you or no one else is going to ruin it for me Aunt Hannah."

They reached the car and Matheson climbed in and didn't even open the door for his Aunt he was so angry. Val got out of the car so that Hannah could get in the passenger side in the back seat. She noticed immediately that Hannah's eyes were red as if she had been crying. Their eyes locked and Hannah looked away. She had a hanky and dabbed her eyes.

Val looked at Matheson who was staring straight ahead, his lips pressed together in a grim line. He pulled off as soon as she shut the door. The tention was thick as well as the awkward silence and Val wondered what in the world he was going to do. They rode the rest of the way home and Matheson's eyes did not leave the road. They pulled up into the driveway and Matheson got out of the car and walked to the front door to open it. Val got out of the car and bent back the front seat so Hannah could get out.

"Thank you" she murmured not meeting Val's gaze. She looked up at the house and saw that Matheson had walked in already.

"Hannah what's going on" Val asked grabbing her arm. "What's this all about?"

Hannah didn't reply but walked up to the house and then through the front door. Val followed her inside. She didn't see Matheson so she called out to him.

"Up here" he replied from upstairs. She followed Hannah up the steps and she stopped on the landing and indicated for her to walk ahead of her. Val saw the light on in the bedroom down the hall and she walked down there with Hannah following close behind.

Matheson looked up as they walked through the door. "You can stay here for the night" he said not looking at Hannah directly. "The room has been cleaned and fresh linen is on the bed."

"Thank you Matheson" Hannah responded softly.

Val raised an eyebrow. Where was the smart mouth aunt that she had met before? Something most definitely was wrong.

Matheson walked past her and headed out the bedroom. "Come on Val."

Val looked at Hannah. "Where's you things? Don't you have an overnight bag?"

"No I left everything with Billy" she replied looking around the room.

Val looked at her surprised. She had on a plain gray dress that buttoned down the front with a white peter pan collar.

"You can't sleep in that!" Val protested. "You're much smaller and taller than I am, but I am sure I can find you something to sleep in."

She half expected Hannah to refuse, but all she said was "Thank you."

Val walked out of the room and found Matheson in their bedroom. She could tell that he was still angry by his jerky movements as he moved about the room. He threw the car keys on the dresser and pulled his shirt over his head.

"Matheson" Val said quietly.

"What?" he snapped, his anger still apparent.

Val stared at him a moment and didn't say anything and watched as he put his hand to his head.

"I'm sorry babe. This whole thing has given me a splitting headache. I hope if you don't mind if we don't go out. I want to lie down for a bit."

"Of course not Matheson" she replied. "There's plenty of food in the fridge. I'll fix us something. You shouldn't have let this whole thing upset you so much. Most likely it caused your pressure to rise which is why you have a headache."

"You're probably right" he said kicking off his shoes. "I don't want to even see her right now."

"Matheson" Val said calmly and sat on the bed beside him. He had taken off his clothes and was lying across the bed in his boxers.

"Hmmm?" he asked lying on his stomach.

"Something's not right" Val said rubbing his back. "Your aunt has been crying and she's not talking much. You couldn't help but notice how contrite she's acting."

"I really don't want to talk about her, Val." He replied. "There's nothing wrong with her!"

She got up and went in the bathroom and wet a washcloth and came back and wiped his face.

After a few minutes, he opened his eyes and looked at her because she was quiet.

"What's wrong, Val" he asked. "You think I'm being too hard on her?"

"Matheson, your aunt doesn't even have a toothbrush. Something is wrong. I'm going downstairs and fix us something to eat. I'll check on her and see if she wants anything. I have some extra things in my suitcase that I'll share with her."

Matheson closed his eyes and didn't reply. He didn't want to think about his aunt. He had a quiet vacation planned with Val. Why couldn't people just leave them alone!

Val got up and walked down the hall. She knew that Matheson was upset, but still if he would look beyond his anger, he would realize that something wasn't right. She walked down the hall and tapped on the door and opened it. She found Hannah still sitting on the bed.

"Are you hungry?" Val asked. "I'm going downstairs and try to throw something together."

"I don't want to put you out" Hannah replied staring at her hands.

"You have to eat something" Val replied.

Hannah didn't reply and she shut the door and walked down to the kitchen. She found some corned beef in the pantry and some potatoes and onions and quickly made a stew that her mother used to make for a quick meal. She was surprised to see some corn meal and hoped that there was baking powder and flour in the cabinet. Finding everything she needed, she quickly mixed some cornbread together and poured it into a square Pyrex pan she found.

It wasn't long before the stew was done and she looked in the oven and quickly checked the cornbread. It wasn't the seafood dinner that Matheson had promised, but still it would fill a hungry belly. She found herself humming as she took the cornbread out of the oven and quickly stirred the stew and cut the burner off.

She was surprised when she turned around and found Hannah standing in the doorway.

"It smells delicious" Hannah said. "You people can cook."

Val raised her eyebrow at the 'you people' remark but didn't reply.

"You're welcome to some" she said. She sat three bowls on the table. "I'm going to fix Matheson a bowl and take it upstairs. He's not feeling well."

Hannah walked over to her. "I guess he's upset with me"

"Something like that" Val replied putting the stew in a bowl and cutting a piece of cornbread.

Hannah looked around the kitchen. "The house hasn't changed much…just looks more modern."

Val looked at her surprised. "You've been here before?"

"It was my parent's house before my father gave it to Gregory" she said. "Billy and I used to come here with my parents before they had Gregory. "She looked at Val. "It was the only thing I asked him for and he gave it to Gregory" She laughed bitterly. "He told me that if I ever found a husband, that it was his responsibility to buy me a house."

She took the ladle from Val and put some of the stew in a bowl. Val was surprised at her outburst. She glanced sideways at Hannah. Her hair was pulled back in a bun as usual. She was a plain woman, but that was because she chose to be that way. She wasn't ugly. She seemed unhappy and Val found herself feeling sorry for her.

"Why not just buy your own?" Val asked.

"Why would I buy a big old house just for myself" Hannah replied. "It's more reasonable just to live in a condo like I'm doing now."

Val looked at her and didn't reply. She took the bowl of stew and cornbread and placed it on a tray and carried it upstairs. Matheson was still lying on the bed and he opened his eyes when she came into the room.

"What's this?" he asked sitting up. "It smells good."

"Just something I threw together" Val replied. She watched as he ate the stew and cornbread.

"Feeling better" she asked.

"A little" he replied. "Where's Aunt Hannah."

"I left her downstairs" Val replied. "I think you should talk to her Matheson."

"Not tonight, Val" he said.

She dropped the subject and got up and opened her suitcase. She pulled out a nightgown that she'd brought and an extra toothbrush that was in a double pack that she had never used and took it down the hall to Hannah. She knocked on the door but didn't receive an answer. She opened it and found the room empty and figured that Hannah must still be downstairs. She put the gown and toothbrush on the bed and shut the door.

She hadn't eaten herself so she went back down to the kitchen and fixed her a bowl of stew and took it upstairs to eat with Matheson.

"Where's Aunt Hannah" he asked when she returned.

"I'm not sure" Val replied sitting in a nearby chair. "She wasn't in the kitchen. She's probably wandering around the house. She said that this was her parent's house and that her father gave it to your father after he and Emily got married." She sipped the stew and looked at Matheson. "She says that she asked your grandfather for the house and he in turn gave it to your father. He told her that it was her husband's duty to buy her a house."

Matheson looked at her surprised.

"I didn't know that Gramps gave this house to my parents. No wonder she was so hell bent on coming down here. Still…she knew we were here on vacation. It wasn't right for her to barge in here."

"Maybe not" Val replied. "Maybe she wasn't thinking and now she regrets it. She's not the acid tongue aunt we left in Baltimore for sure. Something's not right. I feel sorry for her."

Matheson smiled. "That's what I like about you. You have a heart of compassion, even for someone like my aunt."

Val smiled. "I gave her a gown I bought. Obviously I won't be using it."

"Obviously" he replied walking over to her pulling her to her feet.

She reached inside his boxers and began caressing him making him hard instantly. She began kissing his chest. His nipples came to life and she heard him groan as she ran her tongue over them.

"Matheson" she whispered working her way down his body as he stood before her.

"Hmmm?"

By now she had reached his navel and he stumbled back against the bed. She pulled down his boxers and he kicked them off. She pushed him back on the bed. "You really should talk to her" she replied.

"I know what you're doing, VaLysia!" he protested weakly. "You're not playing fair!"

She took him in her mouth. "I love the taste of you, Matheson" she replied running her tongue along his length. She ran her tongue around the sensitive head and observed the drop of pre cum that formed before licking it. "It's so hard…and so sweet..." she continued teasingly licking him. "I'm going to lick your balls now" she said and he groaned as she did just what she said. "Just think about it."

"Val…oh god" he moaned after a few minutes of her teasing tongue. "Come on up here."

She laughed but didn't do as he asked, but took him again in her mouth.

"Val…I need you to stop" he protested weakly.

"Why?" she asked looking at him.

"Because…I won't be able to last much longer if you keep this up." He replied.

"That's my goal" she snickered returning to her task. She had never made him cum this way and she wanted that experience. She sucked him hard as she tried to take as much of him as possible moving up and down his shaft. Matheson began moving and she tried to keep up with him. She tried not to gag and control the situation as she could tell that he was close. She stopped a moment using her hand as he continued to move at a frenzied pace.

"Come on baby" she encouraged looking at him with his eye tightly closed. "Cum for me baby."

She took him back into her mouth again sucking hard. His breathing was labored and he was moaning. He then suddenly rose up on the bed and felt him stiffen. His hand was pulling on her hair as he exploded in her mouth. She was surprised as the taste was different than she imagined. It wasn't bad…just different. She released him as she felt him soften in her hand and quickly kissed him and laid on the bed beside him.

"I think I like eating the babies" she whispered giggling.

He looked over at her and smiled. "You're a very bad girl."

She giggled again. "Well…it's true. You said that I taste like salt water taffy and sunshine. You taste like ice cream and sparkling cider."

He laughed. "Oh really? I'll have to remember that one."

He sat up on the bed. "I feel a whole lot better now."

"I bet you do" Val responded. "Do you feel well enough to find out what's going on with your aunt?"

"You're not going to let this go, are you" he asked. "You know I can't refuse you after you told me that I taste like ice cream. " He pulled on his boxers and stood up. "I'll go and talk to her."

"Thank you" Val replied grinning.

She watched him as he dressed and she decided to go and clean up the kitchen. She quickly threw something on and went downstairs. She glanced at the clock and saw that it really wasn't that late, only nine o'clock. She could hear voices in the den and surmised that Matheson must have found his aunt. She quickly began putting the dishes in the dishwasher.

Matheson felt more relaxed than he thought possible when he came out of the bedroom. He knocked on Hannah's bedroom door, but didn't get an answer. He opened it and peeked in, but did not find her there. He then walked to the bathroom door and knocked and opened the door, but the light was off.

He went downstairs and began to wander around and found her sitting in the den staring out of the window.

"I used to sit here and look out when I was a child" she remarked when he walked into the room.

Matheson sat across from her and didn't reply.

Hannah looked at her nephew and saw that he no longer appeared as angry as he had been earlier. He looked so much like her own father…in fact more than he looked like her brother. He had his mother's large eyes, except for the color and he had her father's blond hair.

"You look like your grandfather sitting there watching me" she stated looking back out the window again.

"I'm just trying to understand what's going on in that head of yours" Matheson replied.

"Do you think I like being like I am?" she asked still staring out the window. "Do you think I don't know what you all say about me? I'm the ugly spinster aunt that no one likes. I'm a burden, and embarrassment, a failure. No man wants Hannah! Maybe I can sell her off to the highest bidder!" she laughed bitterly and Matheson was surprised at the pain her heard in her voice. He had never had this type of conversation with his aunt before. She had barely tolerated him when he was growing up.

"I've never said you were ugly" Matheson replied. "Everyone is beautiful in their own way. I just never understood you. You were always frowning and you seemed mean to me. I was always scared of you."

She turned from gazing out the window and looked at him directly. "But you're not anymore, right?"

"No." he replied. "I'm a man now Aunt Hannah. I'm not a little boy anymore."

"I can see that" she replied looking out the window again. "I guess you're wondering why I came here. I don't fully understand it myself really. You mother said some things….some things that were true…yet very upsetting to me. I realized that my life is almost over…" her voice cracked with emotion that she was trying to control "and it's too late for me! I dreaded going home back to that empty house of mine. Billy was anxious to get home and I hated him for it. He has something to go back home to…everybody has something! I have nothing….I just wanted to relive a happy part of my life for a little bit. I was secretly glad that the axle broke. I saw my chance to escape back to my childhood for a little while and I took it! My coming here was not about you."

Matheson stared at her in disbelief. "I don't know what my mother said that could be so upsetting-"

"Don't you" she shot back cutting him off and glaring at him. "You look at me and what do you see Matheson? You see an old woman who's never been loved. No man has ever wanted me…unless my father paid him to take me out. I'm the ugly duckling of the family. I have the Hendricks's looks" she laughed bitterly again. "I look just like you and Billy and Gregory. I have that 'Hendricks" hard face and while it looks great on a man, it doesn't do much for a woman!"

She stood up. "I'm sorry if I intruded on your little love fest. I'll be gone in the morning and in the meanwhile, I'll just stay out of your way!"

She attempted to walk by him and Matheson grabbed her arm swinging her around.

"You're not ugly, Aunt Hannah!" he said. "You just need to let someone get behind that wall you've built up over of the years." He reached and grabbed the bun on the back of her head and tugged on it and felt her hair come loose in his hands. It was long and thick and mostly gray.

"Stop wearing this ridiculous bun. Let your hair down. Stop wearing these old timey dresses that don't become you! Put a smile on your face." he snapped.

"Matheson!" she said grabbing her hair shocked at his actions.

"You've given up and that's so disappointing" Matheson snapped back. "You're only sixty some years old and you look and act like you're eighty because of your attitude. If you change that, you can look like you're forty. Dye that gray out of your hair! Wear a becoming style! Wear some modern clothes! Change your attitude and stop hiding behind that sharp negative tongue of yours!"

Hannah gasped at her nephew's boldness and looked at the doorway and found Val standing there looking puzzled at the two of them. Embarrassed with her hair flowing freely, she rushed past Val up the steps to her room. Val heard the door slam from upstairs and looked at Matheson.

"What was that all about?"

"I told her that she needs to change herself. She thinks her life is over. Val, I think she's still a virgin and she's sixty years old! She's been told that she's ugly. Can you believe that?"

Val smiled sadly. "It sounds very familiar, Matheson."

He stared at her realizing what she was saying. Val too had been told that she was ugly by family members. He couldn't believe that his father would make his own daughter feel that way. Maybe it was just Hannah's interpretation. The father he knew was always loving and kind. He couldn't believe that he would damage his daughter in such a way.

"I can't believe that my father or my mother would tell her that she was ugly." Matheson said. "There must be some mistake."

"Maybe it wasn't said to her directly, Matheson" Val said walking over to him. "Maybe it was implied. Her face brightened for a moment.

"Why don't I take her out shopping tomorrow? Do you think she'll go with me" Val asked.

"Who knows" Matheson replied. "Let's go up together and talk to her."

They went upstairs and knocked on Hannah's door.

"Come in"

She was sitting on the bed in the oversized nightgown that Val had provided.

"I see that it's too big on you." Val observed. "It's a size twelve and I know you're a lot smaller."

"I'm an eight. I'm not that much smaller" Hannah replied. "Thank you though."

Matheson crossed his arms. "I hope I didn't hurt your feelings, Aunt Hannah. It has been a very stressful day to say the least."

"Yes, well you did hurt my feelings, Matheson" she replied looking at him. "However, considering everything, it was somewhat justified. I don't hold it against you"

"Look" he said sitting on the bed beside her. "I don't understand what's going on. You ran down here, for what? What did you hope to accomplish? What did my mother say?"

She looked at Val and hesitated.

"She's going to be my wife Aunt Hannah. You can talk in front of her. What is said in this room is just between us. I know my mother can be a little odd at times, but she's not a mean person. What did she say?" He reached over and took his aunt's hand, which caused the dam to burst as tears began to run from her eyes.

"She hates me! She makes it sound like sex is such a glorious thing and she's always throwing it in my face because she knows that no one wants me. She and Gregory parade around like they are the world's most loving couple! She doesn't know what it's like to have been ridiculed all your life! She's always been surrounded by love!"

She blew her nose and wiped her eyes. Val looked at Matheson who was obviously confused by what Hannah was saying.

"Maybe that was just your perception of things" Val interjected gently. Emily always talks about sex to everybody. That's just how she is."

"Did Gramps tell you tell you that you were ugly? " Matheson asked. "Where did this come from?"

"No, not directly. He just used to joke with me and said that I was too tall for a woman. He told me that I had the Hendricks' look which was a pity since I was a girl. He didn't mean any harm, I guess. I mean I knew that he loved me… I guess when I found out that he was trying to find dates for me…my pride rose up and I wouldn't cooperate. How pathetic is it for your father to try to buy you a date! I heard Billy's friends telling him plenty of times that I looked like the farm woman with the husband holding the pitchfork! Papa actually thought that was funny!"

She stood up and looked out the window. "Papa was consumed with raising your father after Billy told him that he wasn't interested in running the business. He kept telling me to find a husband and I just dug my heels in and refused. Mama told me that I had money to make up for my lack of looks. I stayed away from home as much as possible. I traveled and I taught High School French. I became independent, but that wasn't good enough! I was a failure in their eyes because I wasn't marriage material! Then your mother came along and it was like I didn't even exist at all. He said Emily had spunk! All I used to hear was how wonderful Emily was. Both of them were constantly singing her praises!"

Matheson looked at his aunt sympathetically.

"That was because Mom helped with the business. She bought into Gramps' dream" Matheson replied. "Neither you or Uncle Billy was interested in the bakery."

"I can't believe that you've never met someone…someone you cared about" Val said. "Surely there was someone at one time in your life."

"Not really" Hannah replied. "Once they found out that I was Hannah Hendricks the namesake for the business, they saw dollar signs. I've never trusted men's advances. I never felt that they were sincere."

"Well that's your problem right there" Matheson replied. "Did it ever occur to you that just maybe there was someone who cared about you for you and not for money?"

She turned to Matheson. "I couldn't take that chance!"

"You mean you wouldn't take that chance" Matheson replied. "This is why you are alone today."

"How do you know that she's not after your money?" she replied pointing to Val.

"Because she's never asked me for a dime. I've been with women who've wanted what they could get out of me, Aunt Hannah. I know the difference" He said.

"I love him" Val replied. "I don't care about the money."

Hannah looked at Matheson and then back to Val.

"Well I guess you're lucky then" she replied skeptically.

"Look Aunt Hannah. It's not too late for you. Why don't you and Val go shopping tomorrow and you buy some decent clothes and get your hair done in a decent style." Matheson suggested.

"I'm not a child, Matheson. I know how to dress" she snapped.

"Of course you do" Val replied. "He just meant that maybe you'd want some company when you shop. Why not try out a new style and new makeup just for fun?"

Hannah looked at Val. "Maybe so"

"We could go out around ten" Val continued. "I doubt if your brother will be here before late tomorrow afternoon.

"Alright" Hannah conceded. "Why not? Ten it is."

Chapter 22 Moving Forward by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Hannah reflects.  Matheson hears a confession.

Moving Forward

Hannah Evangeline Hendricks sat in the den after Matheson and Val had returned upstairs to their room for the night. The day had been an eventful one indeed. She had never imagined in a million years that it would turn out like it did.

Matheson was now a grown man in his own right. Where had the time gone? She looked down at her hands and then back out of the window. Her nephew had always seemed afraid of her and she used to think that it was because his mother had poisoned his mind against her. Talking to him that night made her realize that it was her own sour disposition that had caused him to withdraw and she was filled with regret.

Matheson had shocked her when he had grabbed her and pulled her hair down. He reminded her of his mother at that moment, his eyes flashing with a wildness that she thought only Emily possessed. She should have realized that he was after all his mother's son and was sure to have some of her ways.

She didn't know what caused her to spill her guts in front of a black girl she hardly knew or trusted, but Matheson had taken her hand in his, his large eyes a mixture of Gregory's blue and Emily's green were filled with concern. When she saw that, she began to unravel. No one had looked at her like that for a very long time. Everyone thought that she was hard as nails with no feelings at all, but it seemed that Matheson knew what buttons to push to get her to open up.

She thought about the time when she was twelve that their parents had come to her and Billy and announced that they were having another baby. She had been totally floored. She had thought that they were long past doing 'that' and her father had laughed right in her face when she told them so. Her mother told her that she would understand when she was married that men were passionate beings and that sex didn't end just because you started to get gray hair. It seemed after their announcement, their father came home a lot earlier in the evenings than he had before. He doted on their mother and when Gregory was born, she was surprised at his dark hair and blue eyes. He was a beautiful baby. She and Billy were blond like their father, but Gregory had his mother's dark hair and he was the spitting image of their father.

When she and Billy turned eighteen and Gregory was five, their parents made more fuss over Gregory going to kindergarten than they did of them going off to college. Somehow with the birth of Gregory, she felt that she and Billy became second fiddle. It was even more so after Billy announced that he wanted to be a lawyer and had no interest in working for Hannah's. Billy seemed to take it all in stride, but it irked Hannah to no end. At sixteen she felt that she needed some of her mother's attention, but was unable to get any. It was always about Gregory, the golden child.

She sighed and stood up and stretched. On several occasions she tried to talk to her mother wanting her advice and attention in her teen years, but her mother was consumed with her father and Gregory. She never seemed to have time for her and once she finished high school, she didn't think that her daughter needed any time. After all, she was an adult now and Hannah had heard that more than once. Her mother told her to just go out there and socialize and find a nice man to marry. She had hinted that she shouldn't have a problem since she was after all Hannah Hendricks and that she had a decent dowry to entice a man even though she was a bit plain. The fact that her mother felt that she could only get a man by enticing him with her wealth and her father's feeble attempts to try get men to take her out, hurt Hannah more than she let on. It was at that point that her heart began to harden. Hannah's mother encouraged her to 'spruce herself up' whatever that meant. It had been the 60's and the guys at the college weren't interested in anything but music and sex and parties. They scared her to death. She stayed in her dorm room most of the time.

She graduated from the University of Rhode Island at the top of her class and went on to graduate school. She had top honors, but did that matter? Of course not! "Hannah, have you met anyone?" was always her mother's question and her answer was always 'no' and she saw her father's disappointment!

She stayed away from home as much as possible, traveling and teaching French in high class private institutions. She was paid well, but she didn't really need the money. She still remembered the Christmas she came home and somehow Gregory seemed to have grown up overnight. He was fourteen, tall and handsome; his intense blue eyes made her catch her breath and she knew that he would have a choice of girls to date.

Billy brought Felicia home and announced that they were getting married and his father had announced that he had obtained a business partner. She had been shocked when she saw Emily in the office with her father looking over the books. She appeared to be a mere girl with her long curly bright red hair and Hannah had immediately become suspicious.

Her father seemed to dote on Emily and her mother appeared totally clueless. It seemed that Emily was very well off and had invested quite a bit of money in the bakery. Her father was able to expand and open more stores, buy more equipment and hire more people all because of Miss Emily Matheson!

Hannah couldn't understand why Emily was so engrossed in the business and suspected that she was having an affair with her father. Why else would a nineteen year old woman who had never worked a day in her life be interested in a bakery? When she tried to talk to her mother about her concerns, her mother had just smiled at her and told her that Emily was a sweet girl and it was nothing like that.

She looked at her mother in total disbelief and thought that she was totally naïve! She took a leave of absence from teaching and came back home that spring to try see for herself what was really going on.

Emily was at their house at least two or three times a week. She was down at the bakery, but Hannah didn't understand why she was there since she wasn't baking. She came over for tea and would go with her mother shopping which totally irked Hannah. Her mother hardly ever went shopping with her!

Finally unable to take another minute of the perceived deception, she cornered her mother one evening after she returned from shopping with Emily and told her mother that she was going to confront Emily on the matter. Her mother had taken her into her room and shut the door and sat her down.

"Look, Hannah" she had told her. "I understand your concern, but it's nothing like you're thinking."

"But Mama!" Hannah had protested "Do you really think that she's hanging around here because of the business? Surely you can't be that dense!"

Her mother had smiled. "Honey, I know why she's really here and it's not because of your father."

Her mother had then explained that Emily had come to them before she had even bought into the business and explained what she wanted. She told Hannah that Emily had been very thorough in her research and that she knew that her father wanted to expand the business and that she had ample resources to help him.

Her mother admitted that she had been skeptical at first and had asked Emily point blank why she wanted to become part of the business. Emily had blushed and told her mother and father that she was very much interested in Gregory and that she had fallen in love with him the moment she laid eyes on him when he made a delivery to a party at her house. She had told them that she wanted to marry him if he would have her when he reached adulthood.

Her mother admitted to Hannah that she had been shocked by Emily's confession. Emily went on to say that she realized that Gregory wasn't a man yet and that she was content to wait. She then said that she was willing to put whatever resources that were needed into the business on the condition that they would not tell Gregory about her feelings for him. She wanted it to happen naturally and if by chance he didn't want her, she'd still remain a partner in the business. She then told them that it was a 'win win' situation for them and she was willing to take the chance. She didn't even want them to introduce her to Gregory and if he asked who she was, they were to tell him that she was just a partner in the business.

Hannah was shocked that Emily wanted her fourteen year old brother! Not only that, but that her parents had agreed to such madness! She then began watching Emily more closely, but she seemed to totally ignore Gregory or totally avoid being in direct contact with him when he was in Emily's presence. For a while Hannah thought it was all an elaborate hoax that Emily was perpetrating in order to really have an affair with her father, however one day she caught Emily staring at Gregory in the bakery while he was making some bread. He was totally unaware of her presence and Hannah was in the office helping her father with the books. The raw lust on Emily's face shocked her as Emily watched her brother like a lion watched its prey. Hannah's eyes kept traveling back and forth between Emily and Gregory and suddenly a desire to protect her brother rose up within her.

She began spending more time with him, much to Gregory's surprise. They would spend some time talking in the evenings and she would take him to museums and to the movies on his days off. By the time he was sixteen, he wanted to be with his friends, but he seemed happy to oblige his sister and go out with her on occasion. He was a normal teen who was interested in girls and she doubted that Miss Emily would get her wish to claim him as her own.

Satisfied that things were under control, she left home again when Gregory was seventeen, confident in the fact that Emily didn't stand a chance, especially after Gregory had confessed to her that he liked a girl named Daria. She was dumbfounded however, when Gregory had called her at the age of nineteen and announced that he was marrying Emily Matheson! She had dropped the phone in total disbelief. She never forgot the smug look on Emily's face when she came home and thus began their love/hate relationship.

When Matheson was born, Hannah was surprised that he was the spitting image of her father. Emily had a ruptured uterus and there would be no more children. Hannah remembered her crying for days and her brother looking so helpless while Matheson looked up from his crib in his bedroom and smiled at his aunt.

Hannah had gone to his room while Gregory was trying to console his wife and she had looked down at the baby and he had smiled up at her. She felt her heart melt and she knew at that moment that she loved him. She resisted the urge to pick him up, afraid of the attachment she knew would develop. She told herself that if she loved him, Emily was sure to try to keep her from him. She turned quickly and left the room.

From that day on, she had made up in her mind that she would keep her distance from her brother and his family and would only visit on special occasions. Gregory seemed hurt and confused by her actions and that tore at her heart, but she couldn't help how she felt. She didn't trust Emily. Matheson being a friendly baby would reach for her when she'd visit. He would be in Gregory's arms, but she wouldn't take him. She didn't want to love him, the pretty blonde baby boy with aqua eyes!

After a while, Matheson stopped reaching for her when she visited and then as a child she could see that he was afraid of her. It broke her heart. Now it seemed that it hadn't been Emily at all that had kept him away from her…she had been her own worst enemy.

She looked around and decided to go to bed. She walked out of the den and into the kitchen to get some water and was surprised to see Matheson. He didn't have a shirt on and wore a pair of lounging pants that hung low on his hips. He turned around and smiled at her.

"Going to bed, Aunt Hannah?" he asked raising his arms in a stretch revealing an abundance of underarm hair. He wasn't a boy any longer. He was right. He was all man.

"I guess" she said avoiding his eyes. She could smell his scent from where she was standing…a mixture of soap and something else. She surmised that he must have just showered and wondered where his girlfriend was.

He walked over to her. "Look, we've both have had a trying day. Why don't we just let bygones be bygones?" He stretched his arms out to take her in a hug and she drew back shocked. He hadn't done that to her in years.

Immediately she regretted her actions as she observed Matheson's hurt expression as he dropped his hands to his sides and then turned away.

"Good night, Aunt Hannah" he said heading out of the kitchen.

"Matheson wait" she said grabbing his arm.

He turned and looked at her. His expression was sad at her perceived rejection of him and she wanted to make it right.

"I'm sorry" she said. "I didn't mean any harm."

"You've never liked me, have you? Is it because of my mother?" he asked his eyes guarded.

"No, no!" she exclaimed. "I've always loved you, Matheson"

He scoffed at her declaration. "Loved me? You hardly tolerated me!"

"I was afraid" she confessed feeling herself tear up again. She reached out and grabbed his hand and decided to be totally honest with him.

Matheson looked surprised. "Afraid? What was there to be afraid of?"

Hannah hung her head. "I thought that if your mother saw that I loved you…that she'd use that against me…not let me see you. I couldn't give her that power over me. I…I was the one…you know who would send you those 'secret pal' gifts on your birthday and at Christmas. I wanted to do for you without her knowing it."

Matheson was shocked. His parents swore to him that they had no idea who his 'secret pal' was. For as long as he could remember he received secret pal gifts on his birthday and at holidays. Sometimes he would receive them for no reason at all. He even received encouraging notes from his pal throughout his life when he was growing up. He didn't know how his 'pal' knew the things that he was going through, but he would receive a note in the mail and it would always make him feel better. The notes were always postmarked in Valentine, Virginia and he had even gone to the small town trying to figure out who it could be, but was never able to do so. Now his aunt was telling him that it was her!

"Aunt Hannah!" he whispered "You? You've been my secret pal all these years?"

"Yes, Matheson" she replied not looking at him.

"Who knows that it's you?" he asked. "I asked my parents and the swore that they had no idea but felt it was Gramps or Uncle Billy even though both of them denied it."

"I think Billy figured it out…other than that, I'm not sure" she replied.

Matheson stared at her a moment. This weekend was revealing a lot of things to him. "You really do love me then?" he asked looking at her in amazement. He had always felt that his aunt didn't like him and he never understood why.

"I've always loved you…ever since you were one week old and smiled up at me from your crib" she replied sniffing trying to hold back the tears.

"Love shouldn't be hidden, Aunt Hannah" he replied sadly. "This feud between you and my mother has got to end! It has cost you too much!" He pulled her into his arms and hugged her. He was filled with a mixture of relief and wonder. All this time, she had been secretly loving him, being the aunt in secret that he longed for her to be in public.

Matheson listened as Hannah broke down in sobs. All this time….all the years wasted in fear. He wasn't going to live like that. He kissed her on the forehead. "Things are going to be different from now on, Aunt Hannah." he replied firmly.

She didn't respond and instead pulled back from him and wiped her eyes.

He grabbed her by the chin, forcing her to look at him. "Things are going to be different. We can't change the past, but we can move forward. I'm going to marry Val. I love her. If you love me like you say you do, like you've shown me over the years when I didn't know it was you, you will accept that and be happy for me."

He watched as Hannah wiped her nose with a tissue.

"Well, I'll see what kind of shopper she is before I pass judgment on her" Hannah replied drawing herself up and putting her glasses back on. She lifted the hem of the nightgown that Val gave her examining it.

"Her taste in lingerie leaves much to be desired." her voice had returned with its former haughtiness.

Matheson smiled. Now this was the Aunt Hannah he recognized.

"Then maybe you can help her out in that department" he quipped laughing.

secret pal gift

Chapter 23 A Day of Bonding by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Val and Hannah spend the day together.  

A Day of Bonding

Val walked down to Hannah's room and tapped gently on the door. She opened it and could tell from the light from the hallway that Hannah was sound asleep. She walked over to her and shook her.

"Hannah, wake up!" Val said leaning over her.

Hannah jumped up. "What's wrong?" she asked sounding confused.

"Nothing is wrong." Val replied. "I need you to get up. I've made an appointment at Illusions by Mario. We have to be there at 7 AM."

"What? I thought we were going shopping" Hannah said sitting up.

"We are. I made an appointment at a salon nice for us. You can get your hair done and maybe I can get a massage." Val said grinning. "I called my beautician for a recommendation for a nice hair salon and spa in this area. I told her I wanted only the best!"

"Your beautician?" Hannah replied shocked "What would she know about my hair?"

Val laughed. "Beauticians are just like any other profession. They go to seminars and they network with others in their field both white and black. I asked her for the very best here in Williamsburg and she made a few calls and found out about this place. I hear it's quite expensive."

Hannah rubbed her eyes. "Just because it's expensive does not mean that it's good. Where is this place?"

"Over on Hawthorne Street." Val replied. "Just check it out. If it's not up to your standards then we'll leave."

Hannah stood up and stretched. "Well I hope it's worth the interruption of my rest. I'll get ready."

Val quickly showered and dressed leaving Matheson in the bed when she left the house at 6:30 AM. Hannah came out of the house with her hair back in her classic bun and Val took Matheson's car. He still had the pickup truck in the garage if he wanted to go anywhere.

They arrived at Mario's and there were three cars in the parking lot. Hannah got out and looked around. Maybe they weren't that busy yet since it was only 7 am.

"This is a nice area, but they don't appear to do much business." She replied sounding skeptical. She didn't know what possessed her to listen to this girl allow her to talk her into this in the first place!

"It's by appointment only." Val replied. "Matheson put in a call last night to the owner and paid for everything in advance. Mario, the owner was only happy to oblige and gave us an appointment before they open their regular time."

Before they could reach for the door it quickly opened and the owner Mario was there to greet them.

He was a short man with dark eyes and black hair. He was perfectly groomed and looked about forty years old. His smile was infectious and warm.

"Good Morning, ladies" he said grinning. "Miss Hendricks, we have been expecting you. Your nephew insisted that you receive the very best treatment. My staff and I have been anticipating your arrival!"

Hannah sniffed and looked around as they walked in. The place was gorgeous. The hardwood floors were immaculate and shiny. Lit candles burned giving off light that was warm and relaxing. Two young ladies dressed in black uniforms were standing and waiting to attend them.

"Miss Hendricks, you will go with Anna "Mario said to Hannah pointing to a short dark haired woman who nodded.

Before Hannah could respond, Anna came over and took her arm.

Val watched as Hannah was led away. She looked around and then back at Mario.

"What time should I come back to get her?" She doubted if she could afford this place and decided to just leave Hannah and come back. She would try to get her massage at a later date.

Mario grinned. "Ah, you are Miss Chamberlayne, correct?"

"Yes" Val replied surprised.

"I have instructions from Mr. Hendricks that I am to give you my personal attention." Mario replied grinning. "Nothing but the very best for his aunt and fiancé were his exact words!"

Val raised an eyebrow. "Oh really? I gather that Mr. Hendricks has paid a pretty penny for all this, right?"

"My instructions were that money would not be discussed with either of you." Mario replied. "You and your aunt are to get everything I have to offer and you both are to receive our full attention. Everything has been generously paid for by Mr. Hendricks in advance. There will be no other clients before noon."

He waved the other young lady over that was that was standing by.

"This is Melody. She will assist me by giving you the full body treatment. You will leave here today feeling refreshed and invigorated. I have called in a beautician that has been highly recommended for your hair type and style you prefer. She will redo your hair after I administer a complete scalp therapy, a scalp massage and hair treatment."

Val was shocked at Matheson's extravagance. She couldn't imagine how much all of this "attention" would cost. However if he wanted her to have it, she wasn't going to protest.

It was nearly noon before Val was done. Mario had personally administered the hair and scalp therapy starting with a scalp, neck and shoulder massage before washing and conditioning her hair. He had the beautician he brought in redo her twists and then he had given her a facial. Later she had a hydrothermal massage where she had lain in a tub of water filled cushions as Mario and Melody massaged her body. She felt like she was in heaven and when they were done, she was totally relaxed and invigorated just as Mario had promised. She received a manicure and pedicure and a full body wrap which smelled like peppermint and rosemary. Val was then rubbed down by Melody from her neck to her toes with lotions and oils specifically chosen for her skin type.

When she was done, Mario escorted her to the waiting area and served her some hot tea and shortbread cookies as she waited for Hannah. She felt wonderful and wondered how Hannah was enjoying all that Mario had to offer.

"That was wonderful. I must say that I'm impressed!" she heard Hannah say from behind her as she walked into the room. Val turned around and was shocked. If it wasn't for the grey dress and the voice, she may not have realized that this was Hannah standing before her.

They had cut her long hair. Gone was the bun and the gray and it was now blonde with noticeable highlights. It was cut in a bob haircut that was parted on the left side and cut at an angle about an inch below her chin. Her makeup was flawless and her lipstick while still pink was a richer tone than what she had worn before. She looked at least twenty years younger. Her thick eyebrows had been thinned out some bringing out her blue eyes that reminded Val of Gregory.

"Hannah!" Val exclaimed. "You look wonderful."

Hannah stared at her a moment. "Thank you. I must say that I was a bit apprehensive at first, but Mario told me that with my bone structure that I could wear this style well. I must say that when I looked in the mirror, I couldn't believe what I saw staring back at me."

"I'll bet!" Val replied. "It's very becoming. Matheson is going to be shocked for sure."

Hannah looked at Val. "I see you haven't changed your hair much."

"Afraid not." She replied smiling. "I like this style"

They walked out to the car. Val decided to go to Talbot's first so that Hannah could shop. Hannah looked at her impressed as they pulled up into the parking lot.

"I half expected you to take me to Wal-Mart or something." She said grinning. Val rolled her eyes.

"Talbot's is a very nice store and I think its right in line with your taste" Val replied.

"We'll see" Hannah remarked. "I haven't been here in a while. They are however very conservative and classy when it comes to clothes. I have to agree with you on that."

She looked at Val and smiled. "You've surprised me. You're nothing like I thought you'd be."

"Well you've surprised me too." Val replied laughing getting out of the car. "I half expected you to refuse getting a new look."

"I did it because of Matheson" Hannah remarked.

Truth be told, no one had ever cared enough to talk to her like Matheson had. He had shocked her. She had thought about what he said about her hair when she looked in the mirror before she went to bed that night. She realized then that she needed a change, a new beginning.

They walked into the store and were greeted at the door. The sales lady looked at them and appeared to have just as much attitude as Hannah.

"May I help you?" she said looking at Val and giving her a dismissive look.

"Yes, I'd like to see some of everything" Val replied looking around.

"We don't have any sales going on right now" the older sales lady replied, her glasses perched on the end of her nose.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Hannah asked just as haughtily. "Who said anything about a sale?"

"I'm sorry" the woman said looking from Val to Hannah. "Are you two together?"

"Yes we are" Val snapped.

The woman turned Hannah. "I see. Come this way."

Hannah followed her and looked around and saw that Val was looking at some blouses. The woman got the attention of another sales clerk that happened to be black and pointed to Val for her to go over and help her.

Val looked up as the young lady approached her.

"I will be happy to assist you" she replied smiling.

"Do you work on commission?" Val asked glancing at snooty sales clerk that was talking to Hannah.

"Yes ma'am" the girl responded.

Val smiled at the girl who appeared to be about sixteen. "I gather that you don't make as much as the others, huh?" she asked grinning noticing that the girl wore a tag with the name Tesha on it.

"No. I normally work the register. Most of the regular clientele come when there preferred sales clerk is here." Tesha admitted. "If they request that a particular sales clerk help them and they are on duty, we are happy to do so."

Val looked at the girl. "That's what I thought. Look, I'm the one paying for the two of us." She nodded towards Hannah. "You will earn a hefty commission today. Come on and help me pick some things out."

The girl grinned broadly and Val noticed that Hannah was walking towards them and the other sales clerk appeared none too happy.

"I don't have my credit card with me" Hannah whispered to Val. "I had to tell that clerk that I was just browsing. If you will just allow me to get some basic things-"

"Forget it, Hannah!" Val replied. "I have my credit card and I'm buying everything. Madison will reimburse me. He just called checking on us and insisted that I buy you a whole new wardrobe!"

"I can't allow you to do that" Hannah gasped.

"I have my instructions." Val replied. "Matheson wants you to get a whole new wardrobe and I am to help you pick it out." She turned to Tesha. "Tesha here will assist us, won't you Tesha?"

"Yes ma'am" Tesha replied grinning.

"In fact, we're going to be sure to pick out something you can wear home!" Val exclaimed. "I can't wait for Matheson to see the new you."

The snooty sales clerk was now helping another customer and Val was glad about that. When they completed their shopping, Val had helped Hannah pick out ten outfits as well as accessories and lingerie. Hannah on the other hand picked out several items for Val.

"I told my nephew that your taste in lingerie left much to be desired" she said giving Val a slight smile as they stood at the register. "I cannot imagine that Matheson approved of what you gave me to sleep in. That gown was below my knees so it has to reach the floor when you wear it. I'm perplexed as to why you even bought it in the first place."

Val giggled. "Well, I bought it in case I got cold…you know afterwards"

Hannah cleared her throat and watched at Tesha rung up the items. "I see"

They ended up spending over a thousand dollars and the snooty sales clerk was none too happy about losing the sale. Tesha on the other hand appeared euphoric. She helped them carry their purchases to the car.

"Thank you so much!" she said grinning from ear to ear.

Val pulled off into the traffic.

"I'm starving" Hannah replied.

"Matheson texted me and told me that he's cooking on the grill." Val replied. "That was about thirty minutes ago. It should be ready by the time we get there."

Matheson looked at his watch and noticed that it was nearly three o'clock! Val and Hannah had been gone the entire day. Normally he would have been upset, but she had reminded him the night before that they still had the entire week ahead of them.

He heard a car pull up into the drive way and was a little disappointed when he realized that it was his uncle. He had talked to him that morning and told him to come down and plan on staying for the night. He realized that he wanted to spend some time with both of them because didn't get to see them that often. Billy had agreed and he and Hannah would leave the next morning.

He walked off of the deck and met Billy at the car.

"Hey Uncle Billy" he replied grinning.

"Matheson." Billy said opening the trunk. "I must say I was surprised at the invite considering the situation. Hannah can be a pest sometimes."

Matheson helped him with the bags and took his uncle to the bedroom next to Hannah's.

"You can stay here for the night" he said "Aunt Hannah's staying right next to you."

"Where is she by the way" Billy asked looking around.

"She and Val went shopping. They should be back any time now" Matheson replied showing his uncle around.

"Now that is a surprise for sure' Billy replied laughing. "I can't imagine that my sister and your fiancé having anything in common."

"You'd be surprised" Matheson replied.

"The house looks good" Billy observed as Matheson did the walk through.

"I didn't realize that Gramps owned it until Hannah told me." Matheson replied. "She said she came back to recapture a bit of her childhood and not to pester me."

"Humph! Do you believe that" Billy asked as they walked back on the deck. Matheson handed him a glass and poured some lemonade from a pitcher he got out of the refrigerator.

"Yeah, I think she's being sincere" Matheson replied.

"She's really unhappy Billy. She doesn't have anyone-"

"That's her fault" Billy insisted. "If she wasn't so stuck up and ornery, she'd have someone!"

"I don't think that's it" Matheson replied "Did you all used to joke about her looks and tell her she looked like the woman with the farmer holding a pitchfork?"

Billy laughed. "I forgot all about that!" He looked at Matheson. "That was all in fun. Hannah was always so serious! Surely she knew that! I mean, you know Papa. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body and he thought it was funny! He even tried to get some guys that worked with him to take her out and she fought him at every turn!"

Matheson checked the food on the grill and then turned to his uncle.

"Can you blame her? Who wants to go out with someone that your father coerced into taking you out. Take that and add it to the jokes about her looks and you have a girl with no self esteem." Matheson replied. "She's not as hard hearted and cold as you think she is."

Billy laughed. "Oh she's really got you snowed! Mama used to say that Hannah was born an adult! She was serious from the womb and so independent and opinionated! She's never needed any of us! All Hannah ever needed was Hannah!"

Matheson stared at his uncle a moment. How could this man, her twin be so dense as to believe that his sister didn't need anyone. He didn't reply and just continued to turn the food over on the grill. Was he the only one who could see Hannah's pain? Was he the only one that could see behind wall she had built around herself?

Just then he heard another car door shut and walked around the corner of the wrap around deck and looked up the driveway and saw Val get out of the car. He didn't see Hannah and wondered what had happened.

"Close your eyes!" Val yelled as she waved to him. "We have a surprise for you!"

Matheson laughed. "Uncle Billy's here. Do you want him to close his eyes too?"

"Of course" Val yelled back.

Matheson walked back around to the other end of the deck where Billy was sitting.

"Val wants us to close our eyes. She has a surprise for us"

"You're kidding." Billy said. "Alright then. I"ll play along."

"Come on, Val" Matheson yelled out loud.

He could hear footsteps approaching and walking up the steps of the deck.

"Open up." Val said.

Matheson looked at Val and for a moment he didn't recognize his aunt. Her hair was now it's former blonde color that he had seen in pictures that were in his mother's photo album. Her hair had been cut in a short bob and her make up brought out her large blue eyes. Her glasses hung around her neck on her chain as usual, but gone was the grey dress. She had on a seafoam green sweather and black slacks. All Matheson could do was stare at the radical transformation.

"Close your mouth Matheson" he heard Val say giggling.

Matheson looked at his uncle who was equally stunned. He then walked over to his aunt and took her by the shoulders. She looked up at him and he could see her apprehension.

"You look beautiful, Aunt Hannah" he said sincerely. "I told you that this would be a new beginning for all of us."

For a moment he could see her hesistation and then relief at his declaration. He knew that she wanted his approval and she tried to hide the joy that her eyes revealed. "I want to thank you for your generousity, Matheson." she said "I insist on paying you back for all the things we bought today."

"No way" Matheson replied kissing her on the cheek. "This is a long overdue gift for my secret pal."

He watched as her expression softened and she quickly looked away. Matheson took her by the chin and forced her to look at him.

"You really are beautiful" he whispered.

Hannah stared at him a moment and he could see that she was afraid to take him at his word. She quickly looked over at her brother who was watching the exchange. Matheson watched as she drew herself up and walked away from him displaying her former haughtiness, however there was a sway of confidence in her walk as she went over to the grill. She looked up at him giving him a wry smile.

"What's a girl got to do to get fed around this joint? I'm starved!" she snapped winking at him.
Hannah Hendricks

Chapter 24 Rest and Relaxation by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Val and Matheson set a date!

Rest and Relaxation

Matheson listened to Val's steady breathing as she slept. The day had been an eventful one. He couldn't get over the changes in his aunt's appearance, and to top it all off it appeared that she and Val were now getting along. The makeover and shopping trip had worked wonders. Who would have thought such a thing was possible?

He had questioned his aunt and uncle at length about their lives when they were younger and they had related a few interesting tales about his father also. They ended up talking until late and then Val suggested that they play a game of Taboo. By the time they had finished it was well after two in the morning and they decided to call it a night.

He never would have thought that he would have bonded with his aunt and uncle like he had and part of the reason for it was Valysia. She encouraged them to stay for the night and for Matheson to get to know his people better. She was responsible for bringing his family together and a part of him wished that he could do the same for her.

Her back was to him now and he snuggled close to her. He didn't want to appear greedy and he did not attempt to make love to her when they went to bed as he could tell that she was tired. Now lying next to her, he could feel her soft behind pressing against him and he felt the familiar stirring in his loins.

The room was warm and he started to throw the covers back and just keep the sheet over them, however as he lifted the covers, her scent from them being in such close proximity invaded his nostrils.

He glanced at the clock and noted that it was almost 6 am. He tried to ignore his libido and made himself content to just lie still. The room grew warmer and her scent was beckoning to his nostrils causing the blood to rush south and he was instantly aroused. She had that affect on him and he knew that there was nothing he could do about it…not that he wanted to do anything about it.

Her gown was up around her waist revealing yellow underwear and he couldn't resist the temptation to run his hand over her backside. He was surprised that she hardly moved when he did this as she was still in a deep sleep. He slipped his fingers into the side of her underwear seeking her from behind. He found her moist center and that discovery made him groan. He ran his finger lightly back and forth over her entrance, feeling the wetness increase as he lightly brushed her back and forth with his finger.

He was surprised that she didn't awaken immediately, but he did notice her breathing changed and she began to moan softly in her sleep. He wondered if she was dreaming about him and the thought of that made him hotter still. She then turned away from him onto her stomach causing his fingers to slip out. He could make out her face in the dimness of the morning light and saw that she was still sleeping.

A part of him wanted to let her rest and yet he knew he was lost when he brought his fingers to his nose and inhaled. He then put them in his mouth and the taste and smell of her made the throbbing need between his legs intensify.

Val awoke drenched in sweat. She wasn't exactly sure what caused her to wake up, but she could feel the throbbing from her center as she lay on her stomach. She glanced over at Matheson who was staring at her.

"Hey" she said groggily. "Are you alright?"

Instantly he was on her, his mouth capturing her hungrily. He took her hand and pressed it against his throbbing member and she clamped her hands around it. She was surprised to find that he was naked and wondered when he had discarded his boxers.

She broke the kiss breathless. "What's gotten into you so early this morning?"

"I've been playing in the pudding" he confessed burying his face in her shoulder as he nipped her there. "I couldn't help it." It took a moment to register in her mind what he was talking about as she connected the throbbing of her center to his guilty expression.

"No wonder I'm so warm" she snickered. "I gather playing in it wasn't enough for you."

"Well the sample I licked off of my fingers only made things worse" he mumbled as he pulled down her underwear.

He buried his face in her center inhaling her musky scent. Val ran her fingers through his hair. "Marry me, Val" he whispered as he explored her with his tongue.

"I've already said yes" she said between groans as he licked and sucked her like a man possessed. His tongue seemed to be everywhere at once and she arched her back as she felt her approaching climax. When he was satisfied with the spasms of her orgasm, he hovered over her. He then pushed his way inside her staring down at her. His large ocean eyes were wild and reminded Val of his mother.

"I don't want to wait much longer, Val" he grunted and gave her all he could. "Tell me a date right now!" Val couldn't think as he rolled his hips, pushing in and out slowly as if he was savoring every stroke which only made her shiver. She was still throbbing from her orgasm and now he was moving in such a way that his member rubbed against her clit. He kissed her, the taste of her all over his mouth as his tongue sought hers.

"You make me so crazy, Val. I can't get enough of you. I want you all the time." He confessed. "I never dreamed it could be this good."

"You already have me, Matheson." She reminded him. "I'm not going anywhere."

"You're not really mines until we become one. I want that bad, Val. I want my name on you. I want us to be man and wife." He whispered still moving slowly in and out of her.

He groaned and leaned down and kissed her breasts.

He grabbed her under the hips and picked up the pace. "I've never felt like this before. I love you so much Val that it hurts. I can't wrap my mind around how wonderful my life is now compared to what it was last year this time. Never have I ever been this happy, this fulfilled."

"I love you too, Matheson" she said smiling up at him. "But a marriage can't survive on just sex."

Immediately she regretted her words as Matheson looked at her as if he had been slapped. He quickly disconnected from her even though doing so left him aching as he was about to climax himself. He turned her face towards his as he lay next to her.

"Don't ever think that, Val." He said seriously. "It's not the sex even though sex with you is the best I've had in my life. It's everything. What you did for my Aunt yesterday…..your kindness and your sweetness. You mean everything to me."

"Oh Matheson" she sniffed with tears in her eyes. "I didn't mean anything bad when I said that. I just meant that it has to be more than that."

He kissed her. "It is more than that Val. I'd do anything for you, give you anything you want even if it's every cent I have to my name."

She smiled at him. "All I want is you."

She took his member in her hand. "You seem to have some unfinished business to take care of."

She guided him back inside her and Matheson groaned as he began to move once again.

She looked at him. His eyes were closed and after a few moments she knew that he was close. His strokes were becoming more rapid and his lips were slightly parted. She waited until he was about to cum and whispered, "October 18th"

Matheson slammed into her one final time and she felt the contractions from his orgasm as his seed filled her. His grip was tight, but she didn't complain and then he collapsed on the bed beside her.

"Did you hear me, Matheson?" she asked looking at him.

Matheson coughed as he tried to catch his breath.

"October 18th it is then" he replied.

Hannah walked downstairs into the kitchen. She knew that Matheson and Val were still in bed. She had heard them earlier and blushed now thinking about it. She was glad that her nephew was happy.

She felt like a different woman than the one who had come here after being upset by Emily. Matheson had told her that this was a new beginning and she believed him.

She thought that it would be a good idea to get breakfast started for the lovebirds; however she knew that she wasn't much of a cook. She then picked up a nearby phonebook and wondered if Boychicks was still around. Her parents would order from the restaurant from time to time when they were younger. More than likely though it was no longer around like a lot of the old businesses in the area.

As luck would have it, she found it in the phonebook and called the number. She was pleasantly surprised to find that they were still around and still delivered breakfasts if the order was fifty dollars or more. She quickly gave them a large order to deliver and hung up the phone.

Even though she wasn't much of a cook, Hannah did know how to make coffee and quickly turned on the coffeemaker and prepared the coffee. She heard footsteps coming towards the kitchen and wasn't surprised to see her brother.

"What are you doing down here?" he asked looking at his sister.

"I've ordered breakfast from Boychicks" Hannah replied wiping off the counter top.

"Boychicks? Are they still around?" Billy said surprised.

"Really William" Hannah replied pouring herself a cup of the newly brewed coffee. "How could I order if they weren't around. I must say I was a bit surprised. It's been many years since we've ordered from them."

Billy quickly got a cup and poured himself a cup. "I doubt if it's the same people" he said. "I just hope it's as good as it was years ago."

He glanced towards the steps. "I heard the lovebirds as I walked past their room. Morning delight, no doubt. Damn! She had Matheson hollering."

"I guess" Hannah replied sipping her coffee.

Billy looked at her and grinned. "No smart remarks? I gather the new Hannah has accepted our nephew's choice in women and accepted the fact that he's having sex."

"I just want Matheson to be happy" Hannah replied. "Val loves him. How can I argue with that? She seems to be a decent girl. Matheson is clearly smitten."

"Yeah" Billy agreed "He would probably chain her to the bed if he could get away with it. I'm just surprised that you're not outraged or something. My, my how the worm has turned. What in the world will Emily say?"

Hannah rolled her eyes. "I could care less what Emily has to say about me. She hates me. I've always known that."

"Only because you are so hard on her, Hannah. She's not that bad…a little eccentric perhaps, but she loves Gregory." He finished his coffee and sat his cup on the sink. "She's going to flip her wig when she finds out that you've been Matheson's secret pal all these years."

"I could care less what she thinks" Hannah replied.

"But you do care about Matheson. You've tried to hide it over the years, but I could see it. I always suspected you were the one sending him those gifts. You never took to my girls like you took to Matheson."

Hannah fingered the handle on her cup. "He looks like Papa."

"Yeah, I know." Billy replied. "Emily stole Papa and Gregory, so now you're stealing Matheson."

"This is not about Emily" Hannah snapped.

Hannah couldn't explain her feelings for Matheson. He was just like the son she always imagined having. She knew that she would do anything for him and now regretted the nasty things she had said about him to get under Emily's skin.

"What time are we leaving" she asked her brother.

"I'm already packed…most likely after breakfast. We don't want to wear out our welcome."

Just then there was a knock on the door and Hannah was glad to see that Boychicks had arrived. She had them take the food to the kitchen and then gave the delivery man a generous tip since she had paid for the meal on her debit card.

She heard movement on the steps and smiled when Matheson walked into the kitchen.

"What's all this, Aunt Hannah" Matheson asked looking at the spread of food.

Hannah glanced at him as he was wearing his lounging pants with no shirt. His hair was all over his head and he rubbed his eyes like a little boy. She smiled at him.

"I ordered us breakfast. We can all eat together before your Uncle and I hit the road" she replied getting the juice from the refrigerator. "Where's Val?"

"She'll be down in a minute" he replied grabbing a piece of bacon. Hannah smacked his hand playfully.

"Go and get her!" she snapped "And put a shirt on."

Matheson laughed. "Dad said that I ran to you squealing naked once when I was about two, so you've seen everything I have."

"That was a long time ago" Hannah snapped. "Don't come running to me now squealing or I'm going to smack both you and Val because I know she'll be the one chasing after you!"

Matheson walked over to her and hugged her. "Oh alright!"

He then turned and went back upstairs. Hannah looked up to find her brother watching her.

"You were never the touchy feely type. I'm surprised that you didn't cringe at an almost naked Matheson pressing your body to his." He teased.

"Don't be ridiculous!" Hannah said getting some plates from the cabinet.

Hannah couldn't explain her feelings right now and certainly not to her cynical brother! Matheson had told her that she was beautiful. When was the last time she heard that? When was the last time anyone had treated her with kindness. True, she was prickly as a cactus, but still! Matheson had encouraged her to walk with her head up. Maybe there was someone out there for her. Maybe Emily was right about that at least.

She wasn't going to look for a man…she wasn't that type of woman, but she decided that she was going to be open minded about it.

She turned around when she heard footsteps behind her. Matheson came back in the kitchen still in his lounging pants but now he had on a tee shirt. Val had on a pair of sweat pants and a tee shirt.

"Everything smells great" Val replied looking around at the table.

"I just wanted to say thank you" Hannah replied as they sat down. "I just wanted to leave on a happier note than when I first arrived. We'll leave you two lovebirds so that you can enjoy your week."

Val looked at Hannah and smiled. She still could not believe that this was the same woman she met in Baltimore.

"I've enjoyed your company." Matheson replied.

"Yes, I agree" Val said taking Hannah's hand. Matheson reached for his Uncle's hand and they formed a circle around the table.

"Lord, thank you for this food. Thank you for our family and give Aunt Hannah and Uncle Billy traveling grace as they travel back to Florida" Val prayed. "Amen."

Matheson released his Uncle and Val's hand and began passing the food.

Billy looked at Val. "You called us Aunt and Uncle. Does that mean a wedding is coming up soon?"

"Yep" Matheson replied. "October 18th"

"That's less than six months away!" Hannah gasped. "How in the world will you get everything done by then?"

"Don't worry about that. I'll get done" Matheson replied. "You just mark it on your calendars because I want you both there."

"Of course I'll be there" Hannah replied grinning. She knew that they must have just set the date and wondered what Emily would say when she found out that Matheson had told her and Billy before he had told his own mother.

 

Boychiks

Chapter 25 Back To Reality by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Val gives Mavis the good news.  Trouble is brewing at Matheson parent's home!

Back To Reality

The week of rest and relaxation flew by for both Val and Matheson. After Hannah and Billy left, they decided to visit the historic First Baptist Church in Williamsburg which was the oldest Black Baptist Church in the nation and was founded in 1776.

They walked around Colonial Williamsburg after service was over and then had dinner later that evening at a restaurant where everyone was dressed in colonial attire. There was even someone playing the violin and singing throughout the dinner. Val felt that she had taken a trip back in time.

Before long, however, Friday had arrived and they had to return to Baltimore. Matheson wondered how things had been with his father taking care of everything while they were gone. He was happy that he was able to take off the two weeks, but he was refreshed and felt ready to get back to work.

He dropped Val off at her apartment and she told him that she was going to check on Mavis. He decided to go to his apartment and unpack and then call around and check on things at the store.

Val found her grandmother sitting in her living room napping. She had some knitting on her lap.

"Grandma, are you alright?" Val asked as she walked in using the keys that Mavis had given to her.

Mavis opened her eyes and smiled. "I'm fine baby. When did you get back? Where's Matheson?"

Val walked over to the sofa and sat next to her. "He went home to unpack. He dropped me off about an hour ago and I came by here to check on you."

Mavis stretched and stood up. "I'm just fine. Emily's been by here every day checking on me. She even made me spend the night with her and Mr. Gregory a couple of days ago."

Val smiled. "Well I'm glad about that. I know she loves you."

Mavis laughed. "I remember a time when you couldn't understand why I was so taken with my former employers."

Val didn't reply and Mavis got up and went into the kitchen with Val following her.

"We've set the date" she said watching her grandmother turn on the kettle that was on the stove.

Mavis looked at her and patted her on the arm. "So tell me. When is it?"

"October 18. We set the date while we were in Williamsburg" Val replied. She watched as her grandmother got a tea bag and put it in a cup. She took the cup that Mavis offered her and then followed her back to the living room.

"Well that's good." Mavis said slowly. "Are you going to tell your father's folks?"

Val rolled her eyes. She didn't want to think about them. "I don't want to talk about them after the way my grandmother treated me and Matheson"

"I know, baby" Mavis said as the kettle began to boil. She picked it up and poured the tea in to both of their cups. "They are still your family. You should invite them."

Val walked back into the living room and sat on the sofa. "I'll think about it."

Mavis patted her on the knee. "I know you'll do the right thing, baby"

Val wasn't so sure what that meant right now. She didn't want her other Grandmother ruining her wedding. Then she thought about Tameka and a cold chill ran over her. What had happened there?  They used to be so close when they were kids.  No, she didn't want any of them to be at her wedding. She wasn't as forgiving as her grandmother.

She talked to Mavis a while longer telling her all about her week in Williamsburg and relating the change in Hannah Hendricks. Mavis was surprised.

"She and Ms. Emily have been at each other's throats since they've known each other." Mavis replied laughing. " Emily was upset that Hannah never accepted her marriage to her brother. Hannah was angry that Emily had her eyes on her brother at such a young age. Hannah adored Mr. Gregory! Mr. Gregory had to come in between them more than once. I can think of several occasions that they tried to scratch each other's eyes out. They were younger then though. I think they've calmed down and do more bickering than actual fighting now."

Val shook her head. "Well Hannah has changed for the better. I can guarantee you that. I hope for Matheson's sake that the two of them can call a truce."

"Well that will be something to see for sure." Mavis said as Val headed to the door. "You go on now. I'm expecting Ms. Emily to pop up later on. Does she know the two of you are back?"

"I'm sure Matheson has called them by now" Val said giving her a kiss. "I'll see you later, Grandma"

Val left her grandmother's thinking about what she said about inviting her father's family. She didn't think that they would take the snub lightly if she did not invite them, yet she wasn't sure what antics they would perform if she did. She sighed and headed back to her apartment.

She was surprised to see Matheson waiting for her when she pulled up.

She got out of her car and walked over to his and he rolled down the window.

"Back so soon?" she asked jokingly. Seeing the look on his face, she quickly regrouped.

"What's wrong?"

Matheson sighed. "We need to go over my parent's house. It seems that my grandfather showed up last night. Apparently Uncle Billy told him that we had set the date and he confronted my father. He of course was surprised because we hadn't told them yet. I didn't want to tell them on the phone. I wanted to tell them in person. I told Billy that I was going to tell my parents when we got back. I wish he had honored my wishes and not said anything."

Val walked around the car and got in. "Are they mad?"

Matheson began to back out of the parking lot. "Irritated is more like it"

Matheson didn't say much on the way to his parent's house. He wondered how his mother would react to all that had happened. He could only hope that his grandfather would be on good behavior with Val being there, but a part of him seriously doubted that.

He pulled up in the driveway and looked for a car. His grandfather no longer drove and most likely had someone bring him to Maryland. There wasn't an extra car in the driveway. His grandfather could have caught a plane and had his son pick him up at the airport.

They got out of the car and Matheson walked into the house first not knowing what to expect. He heard voices coming from the den and nodded for Val to follow him. He took her hand in his and led her into the den. William Hendricks, Sr. sat in the overstuffed chair that was his father's. Matheson noticed that he was thinner, but his eyes were alert and he spotted them as soon as they walked in. William Hendricks, Sr. looked at Val and narrowed his eyes before shifting them to Matheson.

"Matheson!" he snapped. "We need to talk….privately."

Matheson walked over to his grandfather still holding Val's hand.

"Gramps this is Valysia. She is my fiancée." He looked at his father and mother who were sitting on the sofa obviously on edge. Matheson thought that they looked like a pair of chastised children sitting there. He turned back to his grandfather.

"Whatever you have to say, you can say in front of Val. She's going to be my wife" he said squeezing her hand.

His grandfather grunted. "This is family business and this woman isn't family yet and it won't happen at all if I have anything to say about it!"

Val gasped but didn't reply. She felt Matheson's hand tighten over hers.

"You don't have anything to say about it Gramps. It's my decision and I expect you to be respectful of the choice I've made." Matheson then dropped her hand and put his arm around her waist.

"This girl is hardly an appropriate mate for you, son" Gramps replied.

"I beg to differ with you" Matheson snapped. "My decision is final. The date has been set for October."

His father stood up walking over to them. "So I heard…I just wish I had heard it from you!"

Matheson watched as his father then walked over to the liquor case and poured himself a drink. His mother followed him and poured herself one also. Matheson raised an eyebrow. His mother rarely drank and her actions surprised him.

"Dad, I planned on telling you both face to face when we returned from Williamsburg. I told Uncle Billy as much and I am disappointed that he didn't honor my wishes to keep it quiet until I could talk to you."

Gramps laughed at that remark and turned back to Matheson. "Billy is worse than a broken refrigerator, boy. He can't keep anything. Now that Hannah, she'll keep your secrets locked up tight. "

"You told her?" Emily said walking over to Matheson. "How could you tell her before you even told us, Matheson?"

"Ma, it was a spur of the moment decision. I'm not sorry we made it, I'm just sorry that you had to find out the way that you did" Matheson replied.

He was totally frustrated. Things were not going the way he planned at all. His mother began to pace which was something he dreaded. His father was working on his second vodka and orange juice and Gramps was being his regular intimidating self.

Matheson looked at him, his hair thinner than her remembered but was snow white. His grandfather still had a full head of hair and now ran his hand through it as he watched his son drink and Emily pace back and forth. His large blue eyes reminded Matheson of his father and his facial hair reminded him of Colonel Sanders minus the beard. Even though he moved slower now that he was older, his mind was still as sharp as a tack and Matheson knew that he was not going to play nice.

"This thing needs to be called off immediately" Gramps replied. "It's the craziest damn thing I've ever heard!" He looked at Val. "I understand you're that woman Mavis' granddaughter."

"That's right" Val replied.

He turned and looked at Gregory. "Son, isn't she from North or South Carolina? Those people are known to work roots on people. She probably put something in Matheson's drink to get her claws in him."

Val looked at Matheson and almost burst out laughing. It seemed the Hendricks had a habit of talking about people as if they weren't there.

"I don't know anything about working roots, Mr. Hendricks" Val snapped. "That's absurd!"

"Of course you would deny it" Gramps replied. "But I know how you people operate."

Matheson quickly spoke up. "And how is that, Gramps? How do they operate? I told you before that I'm in love with her and I'm going to marry her. You need to accept it and if you can't you can stay home and not come to the wedding."

Gramps stood up and leaned on the cane he had beside the chair. He turned to Matheson and pointed his finger in his face.

"Look here, boy. I'm not taking no sass off of you! You will show me respect! You get a little piece of black tail and you've lost your mind!"

"I respect you Gramps" Matheson replied looking up to see his mother pacing back and forth. "I am marrying Valysia and I'm not changing my mind. I would appreciate it if you show me and my fiancée that same respect!"

Gramps grunted. "Damn fool"

He watched Emily pace for a second. "Daughter, don't you get yourself upset over this now. I'm sure that your son is not going to ruin the family name by marrying this colored girl. We'll talk some sense into him!"

"Pops, Val won't ruin the family" Emily replied. She stopped pacing and walked over to him, her voice pleading. "She's Mavis' granddaughter. When she and Matheson get married, we'll be a real family. Mavis is the only mother I've ever known. You know Mavis is a decent person."

Gramps rolled his eyes. "Look girl, I know you're the sentimental type and all, but it's foolhardy to try to create a mother by marrying your only son off to her granddaughter! She was your paid servant! She took care of you because she was paid to do so! Don't get it all twisted up in that head of yours. This is about Matheson's future. He's your only son! Don't you want some grandchildren?"

Emily began to pace again. "Don't you dare say that Mavis is not my mother! I love her and she loves me! If you continue to talk like this, I'll have to ask you to leave my home even if you are Gregory's father!"

Emily looked at Val and quickly grabbed her hand. "You and my Matheson do plan on having some babies, right?"

"Yes, eventually" Val replied smiling.

"I don't want no damn pickaninny grandchildren!" Gramps snapped.

"That's enough, Pop" Gregory said. "You're being disrespectful to Valysia with such talk and you're upsetting Emily."

Gramps walked over to his son and pointed the cane at him. "I would think that you'd be on my side. You can't tell me that you approve of this ...this …engagement or whatever the hell they call it!"

Gregory sighed. "Look, I wasn't too happy about it myself at first." He looked at Val and then to his son. "But they love each other. I'm sure of that. Matheson is thirty one years old. He's a grown man and I can't tell him what to do-"

"You can do something!" Gramps snapped interrupting him. "Cut the funds off! Take the store back!"

"I would never do that" Gregory replied. "I can't run things like I used to, Pops. I'm getting older. Besides that, Matheson has gotten quite a bit of money already from his mother. I would never try to manipulate him with money. He does an excellent job running the store. Times are changing. We have to change with the times. I didn't think I'd accept it either, but things could be a lot worse than him marrying someone of another race."

Gramps tapped his cane on the floor in frustration and sat back down. "I don't care times are changing! The world's going mad! What in the world would possess him to marry this girl?"

"Gramps, I love her" Matheson said staring at his grandfather. "I chose her with my heart. Remember what you told Dad about choosing a mate...with your head, penis or heart. I chose her with my heart."

Gramps looked at him and then at Val. "Come over here, Gal" he snapped.

Val looked at Matheson and then walked over to Gramps.

He stared at her a moment. "Turn around"

She looked at Matheson again, but quickly turned around in front of him wondering what this was all about.

"Well, you got the hips for lots of babies. I can say that much" he cackled. "I heard you were down at the house in Virginia. For all we know the girl could be pregnant right now. Is this why you're talking about marrying?"

"I'm not pregnant!" Val replied.

"That's usually why you people get married, if you get married at all. How many other babies do you have?" he asked glancing back at Matheson.

Emily caught her breath at the insult.

"Now Pops that's enough" she snapped before Val could respond. "Val is a good girl."

"She's not so good if she's giving it up to your boy!" Gramps responded. "Billy told me that she was a virgin until your boy broke her in. More than likely that is why he feels obligated no doubt."

Val couldn't listen anymore. He was talking about her like she was a prize cow or something. She knew that Matheson's grandfather was almost ninety, but still! She wasn't going to take any more of his insults.

"Mr. Hendricks, I don't appreciate you talking about me as if I wasn't here and the things you are saying are degrading and racist!" She looked at Matheson. "Take me home, Matheson."

"Gramps, I think you need to apologize to Val" Matheson snapped.

"Apologize?" he asked looking surprised. "What the hell do I have to apologize for?"

"Pops you were rude" Emily said pacing again.

Gramps grunted again. "Considering the conversation, I think that I restrained myself fairly well!"

Matheson started to speak and his father raised his hand. "Look, Pop" he said looking at his father. "You had better get used to the idea or you're going to have to stay in Florida and not come to the wedding as Matheson said. "

"You can't tell me not to come to my only grandson's wedding." Gramps replied.

"I can and I will" Gregory said seriously.

Gramps grunted again and quickly changed the subject. "I'm tired. I have to sleep on this. Emily take me to my room" he commanded.

Emily stopped pacing and quickly walked over to him. "Pops, now I don't want you to upset yourself. You just sleep on it and give yourself time to adjust. I'm sure you'll see things differently after a good night's slieep!"

"Humph!" Gramps replied leaving the room with Emily guiding him.

Gregory watched as Emily led him to the stairs and he then turned back to Val and Matheson.

"I'm sorry about that, Valysia" he replied.

"It's not your fault" she said. "I'm just grateful that you took up for me considering that not so long ago you felt the same way."

"Well I wasn't that vocal about it" Gregory replied. "I did try to be somewhat diplomatic when you first told me."

"Pickaninny grandchildren!" Val responded giggling. "My my I haven't heard that term in years."

"I'm sorry about that" Gregory said looking sheepish. "I guess he thinks it's still 1950"

"Don't be" Val said giggling. "Just my luck those pickaninny babies will look just like your father."

William Hendricks, Sr.

Chapter 26 The Proposition by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

William Sr. gives Mavis a proposition.  Matheson is disappointed with his mother.

The Proposition

William Hendricks was a man that was used to getting his way. He hadn't built Hannah's by being soft. No, he had to do what he had to do over the years. He had built a successful business and had turned it over to his son who had grown it even more. Now, Matheson was on the verge of taking things over and his expectations for his grandson were huge. This marriage, however did not figure in his plans.

His oldest son and namesake had been a slight disappointment to him. Billy had shown absolutely no interest in the business when he was younger. His head was always in a book and he'd rather eat than cook. He could hardly stand to get his hands dirty, much less kneading dough!

His daughter Hannah did show interest in the bakery, however her interest was in the accounting aspect of the business. Hannah loved crunching numbers. At first he thought that perhaps she just wanted to see how much money they were making, but he soon realized that she actually loved doing the books and didn't even want to be paid for it. He was surprised when she decided to go off to school instead of staying home and working with him. He knew that his persistant nagging about finding a husband had something to do with it, but he hadn't expected her to run off like she did.

His wife later had explained to him that Hannah was hurt by his efforts to find her a husband. Well hell, maybe he could have handled the situation more delicately, but he did try. He was trying to help her out! After all, he was a practical man and he knew that Hannah was no beauty! She was nothing like Emily. He could understand her. Emily had spunk and went after what she wanted. He could relate to that. Hannah was too quiet and mousy. Her shyness and reclusive personality exasperated him. He was a go getter and he tried to push Hannah to be the same way, but she totally rebelled.

William knew that his daughter and Emily didn't get along, but he figured it would work out in time. It never did. Emily and Hannah were like oil and water. Hannah and Gregory had grown closer by the time he reached his teens and she was protective of her brother. William doubted that any woman would be up to her expectations when it came to Gregory.

Gregory had been a pleasant surprise for him. He wasn't expecting any more children after the twins. After all more than ten years had gone by and nothing had happened. He was shocked when Jessica told him that she was pregnant. She was almost forty years old! Still, he had been secretly thrilled and when Gregory was born, he felt his heart swell with pride. Gregory was a perfectly beautiful child and a mirror image of himself. Unlike the twins, his hair was a dark brown almost black and his eyes were large and blue.

He knew that he doted on Gregory and spoiled him rotten, but it seemed to have no adverse affect on him. Gregory loved being in the bakery and seemed to absorb everything about its operation at a young age. William knew that he should have given more attention to the twins, but he couldn't help himself. Gregory was special. He was happy and content to turn the business over to him after he and Emily got married.

His mind wandered to Matheson. He was disappointed when he heard about Emily's medical condition and the fact that there would be no more babies. Still Matheson was a perfect baby and he was delighted when he was interested in the business. William Sr. was glad that the legacy would continue for another generation.

Now of course, he wasn't happy with Matheson's choice in women and he wondered what he could do about it. He didn't want to alienate his grandson so things had to be handled delicately. First he hired a private investigator to do a thorough background check on Valysia Chamberlayne. Then he had the same thing done to her grandmother, Mavis.

He had now been at his son's for two weeks and he was ready to return to Florida. Jessica had phoned him several days ago asking when he would return and he had been evasive. He decided to ask her to come to Baltimore for a visit to stall his return. After all, she hadn't been to Baltimore in over a year. He knew that she didn't travel much being on dialysis, but still that could be arranged.

He convinced Jessica and her to visit for a week and quickly informed his son and Emily. He told them that Jessica needed to be told in person about Matheson's engagement and they had agreed. It looked like things were working in his favor and Jessica's visit would buy him enough time until he could get the report back from the private investigator.

William hadn't discussed the engagement with anyone since he had talked to Matheson several weeks before. He had avoided the issue until he could figure out a plan. He knew that Gregory and Emily must think that he had accepted Matheson's decision; however he had only retreated until he could regroup with a plan.

He was happy when Jessica called him back and informed him that she was flying to Baltimore and had made medical arrangements for her dialysis, but he was surprised when she told him that Hannah was returning with her. He hadn't planned on that…but still he could handle Hannah. In the meantime, he planned to have a little talk with Mavis.

He waited until Gregory had gone to work and then he told Emily that he was going out for some fresh air. He then called a cab and headed for Mavis apartment. The investigator had no problem locating her address and he thought about what he was going to say to her as he rode in the cab.

It wasn't long before they arrived at the assisted living facilty where Mavis lived, and he got out and paid the driver. He tapped his cane as he walked up the walkway. Maybe he could reason with this grandmother of Valysia's. He remembered her from the time he had met Emily. She seemed like a reasonable person. He didn't remember that much about her except for the fact that Emily doted on her and thought of her as her mother. He shook his head. How pathetic...making the hired help your mother! At first it hadn't bothered him too much especially when Emily and his wife got along so well. He just assumed that Mavis would be replaced by the more acceptable Jessica as a mother figure, however that had not happened. Emily practically worshiped the ground this colored woman walked on! He couldn't understand it.

He got the directions from the front desk and took the elevator to the floor of the apartment where Mavis resided. He knocked on the door. She opened it and if she was surprised to see him, she didn't let it show.

"Hello, Mr. William. This is a pleasant surprise" she replied smiling. "Won't you come in?"

Her attitude unnerved him a bit. He didn't expect her to be so pleasant. Still, he nodded and walked in and she ushered him to a nearby chair. The apartment was small, but he noticed that it was warm and comfortable. It was homey and she had instrumental Christian music playing. He could smell something pleasant cooking and it made his stomach growl. He hoped that she didn't hear it because this was not really a social call. Still if she offered, he wouldn't turn down whatever she was cooking.

"Can I get you a cup of tea" Mavis asked smiling. "I'm cooking some stew for a function at church. I'd be glad to fix a bowl for you."

"Don't mind if I do" William replied.

He watched as she walked into the kitchen and returned shortly with two steaming cups on a tray. She sat his on the table beside him and took hers and sat across from him. She pointed to a small bowl of soup and spoon that was also on the tray.

"You act as if you were expecting me" William said trying to figure her out. He tasted the soup and thought that it was delicious. He quickly bit a cracker.

"I had a feeling you might show up" Mavis said grinning. "I gather that you aren't too pleased with your grandson's choice of a bride. Does that have anything to do with your visit to me?"

"Look, don't take it personal-"

"I'm not" Mavis replied interrupting him. "My granddaughter told me that you didn't want any pickaninny grandchildren."

William had the decency to blush under her stare. Her mouth was smiling, but her eyes were hard and for a moment a bit of fear gripped him and he wondered if she had put anything in the tea he was sipping.

"I just want white grandchildren! He's the only male heir in the family. He's inheriting Hannah's." William said looking at her. "I don't have anything personally against your granddaughter. I just want him to marry white! By the way, this soup is delicious!"

Mavis smiled at his comment and picked up her cup.

"Suppose he had been gay?" Mavis asked sipping her tea. "What then would have happened to your precious legacy?"

William straightened up in his chair. "Matheson is not gay!"

"Oh I know that much" Mavis replied setting her cup down. "But just suppose. Who would you be having this conversation with? I mean he and his lover could adopt to continue the Hendricks legacy you know."

William stood up. "This conversation is asinine!"

He didn't want to think about that. He was glad that Matheson wasn't gay, and he didn't want to think about what he would have done in that situation.

"Look Matheson's not gay" William snapped. "I don't have to deal with that."

"And you're not going to have lily white grandchildren either" Mavis replied.

William stared at her.

"So you think this is a better alternative, being with your granddaughter?" He pointed his cane at her. "You think that I should be grateful that he's not gay so that makes being with your granddaughter more palatable? I don't think so!"

"Don't you think its better? At least you'll have grandchildren that are your blood." Mavis replied.

William was clearly shaken by her words. He wasn't expecting this. He turned around and returned to the chair across from her. He had to get control of this conversation.

"Look, I came here to make you an offer. If its money your granddaughter wants-"

Mavis started laughing. "You can't buy Valysia. She could care less about money. "

"All women care about money" William insisted.

"Then why can't Matheson make her spend any of his?" Mavis quipped.

William stared at her dumbfounded unable to respond to her comment.

Mavis smiled at his puzzled expression.

"Not every woman is interested in money, Mr. William. You won't be able to buy my granddaughter off. She loves Matheson and he loves her." She sipped her tea with her eyes still fixed on him.

"One million dollars is nothing to sneeze at" William replied hoping that the figure would impress her.

"I understand Matheson is worth much more than that" Mavis chuckled.

"What do you want?" William said sighing in defeat.

Mavis leaned forward in her seat and brought her face close to his.

"Accept it. It's a done deal" She sat back and sipped her tea again still smiling.

She sat her cup down and cleared her throat.

"Mr. William, I know you're not a bad man. I know you think that you know what's best for Matheson. I'm not even upset that you don't want him to marry my Valysia because she's black. We come from a different era. The truth is I was against their relationship at first for a whole different reason. In our day white men who wanted black women only wanted sex. They didn't want a real relationship. I was afraid that Matheson was that way. I misjudged him. He wants more from her than that. He's an honorable man because he comes from an honorable family."

"He doesn't have to marry her. I don't mean any harm but such a relationship has nothing positive going for it as far as Matheson is concerned." William said getting up. "He's my only grandson. The Hendricks name will end with him."

"I doubt if it'll end with him, Mr. William. Val and Matheson will have children" she said still eying him.

William got up and walked towards the door. "I told the cab to come back in an hour, so I'd better leave. I appreciate your hospitality. I wish you'd consider what I said. You could be taken care of for the rest of your life."

Mavis walked over to him. "I don't want for nothing, Mr. William" she said simply. "Your money is no good here."

"Goodbye Mavis" he said as he walked out the door.

William Hendricks walked outside and found the cab waiting. Everyone had a price. What was Valysia Chamberlayne's price? Perhaps the report from the private investigator would shed some light on the situation.

                                                    ((***))

Emily hung up the phone wondering what in the world was going on. Papa Hendricks was still staying with her and Gregory and wasn't even talking about going home. Now she received a call from Gregory's mother stating that she was flying in with Hannah. She paced back and forth for a few minutes. Hannah had just returned to Florida several weeks ago and now she was returning to Baltimore? That was highly unusual and she wondered what her sister in law was up to.

Mama Jessica said that her flight would be in that evening and Emily called Gregory and gave him the news. She didn't know where her father in law was as he had been leaving the house daily to 'get some air' as he called it. Something was most definitely up, but she didn't know what.

Mavis did tell her that he came by to see her which surprised Emily greatly. At first she speculated that perhaps her father in law was coming to accept the idea of Matheson and Val's engagement, but Mavis quickly killed that thought when she explained that he had tried to bribe her. He could have saved himself a trip if he had told her of his harebrained scheme, Emily thought. There was no way that her Mavis or Valysia would take his money.

She watched as the cab pulled up and Papa Hendricks got out and walked to the house. She met him at the door, flinging it open.

"Papa, where have you been?" she questioned as he walked by her.

"Out" he replied taking off his hat and throwing it on the table.

"I hope you're not out trying to bribe somebody else!" Emily snapped.

William looked at her and raised an eyebrow. "So she told you!"

Emily put her hands on her hips, clearly upset. "Of course she did!" she snapped. "How could you do such a thing? My Matheson is happy. He loves Val. Mavis would never take your money!"

William sighed and pulled out a chair and sat down. Emily noted that he looked tired.

"I had to try something. This marriage…this interracial union…it's unthinkable!" He said it more to himself than to Emily.

"Papa, don't upset yourself" Emily said patting him on the shoulder. "Matheson is happy. That's all that matters."

"You talk like a damn fool, Daughter! He could be just as happy with someone white! He just needs to look a little harder."

"His mind is made up" Emily said pulling up a chair and sitting down. "You just need to accept it."

"I don't think so!" William snapped tapping his cane on the kitchen tile.

"Ms. Jessica and Hannah are flying in and will be here this evening. She called me and told me that her flight will be in at 5:30 PM. Gregory is going to meet them at the airport."

She paused and looked at him sternly. "I don't want any trouble out of Hannah or you Papa. My Matheson is happy and you should just accept that fact!"

William clucked his mouth and stood up. "I'm tired. I'm going to lie down so that I can be well rested by the time they get here."

Emily watched as he walked out of the kitchen and hoped that he would be on his best behavior.


Matheson looked at his phone and read the text message from his Aunt Hannah. He was surprised that she was back in town so soon and even more surprised that she was traveling with his grandmother. His grandmother was sickly and did not travel a lot. He hadn't seen her for a while and he was glad that she was coming so that she could meet Val and learn of their engagement.

He called Val and told her that he was headed over to his parent's house and asked her to meet him there. He wanted her to meet his grandmother. He hoped that she was more reasonable than Gramps.

He pulled up in front of the door and saw that his father was home which meant that his Grandmother and Hannah had arrived.

He walked into the house and followed the voices he heard into the den. He found his parents sitting on the sofa talking to his grandparents. Hannah was sitting in a nearby chair. They all looked up as he entered the room.

"Matheson" his grandmother said reaching out for him. He immediately walked over to her and bent down and accepted the kiss she placed on his cheek. She looked at him, her eyes full of love. She patted his cheek and laughed gleefully.

"Hi Grandma" he replied grinning.

She patted his cheek again. "You look well. I've heard the news. Your father told me of your engagement. So when do I meet her?"

Matheson looked up at his father who was shaking his head vigorously and he gathered that his Grandmother had not been told that Val was black.

"Real soon, Grandmother" he said glancing around the room.

He looked over at Hannah who was wearing an aqua dress with matching heels. He stood up from kneeling in front of his grandmother and walked over to her.

"Aunt Hannah, you look beautiful" he said kissing her on the cheek. "I wasn't expecting to see you again so soon. This is a pleasant surprise!"

"Why thank you Matheson" she replied blushing. "I was hoping you wouldn't mind me coming back so soon."

"I'm always happy to see my favorite aunt" he teased. "Come back as often as you'd like."

Emily sat there and watched the exchange in shock. Since when did Matheson and Hannah become so chummy?

"Matheson can you help me in the kitchen a moment?" Emily said smiling while gritting her teeth.

Matheson followed her into the kitchen and she quickly turned around.

"So what was that all about?" she snapped at him.

"What?" Matheson asked surprised.

"You and Hannah. I've never seen her so….sickly sweet! I'd think you'd be totally put out with her after that stunt she pulled in Virginia!"

Matheson looked at his mother and couldn't believe that she was jealous.

"Ma, Aunt Hannah and I are getting along now. We worked everything out in Virginia. We agreed to let bygones be bygones and we are starting off with a clean slate. I found out that she was my secret pal." He put his arm around his mother's shoulder. "All this time she was loving me and I didn't even know it."

Emily rolled her eyes. How could he be so forgiving so quickly!

"Is that why she's suddenly so sweet? Is this why she changed her hair and started wearing stylish clothes?"Emily accused. "I hardly recognized her when she arrived today!"

"I made a few suggestions" Matheson replied. "She's not so bad-"

"She came down to Virginia and tried to interrupt your vacation!" Emily snapped. "She's an old shrew and you rewarded her by buying her a new wardrobe and giving her a makeover! What's wrong with you?"

She looked at Matheson's surprised face. "Yeah, Billy told me all about it, but I didn't believe it until I saw the two of you just now!"

"Ma, what's the problem" Matheson asked. "I thought you'd be happy that she's being nice. The two of you aren't at each other's throats! She's being nice and not nasty. She's making an effort to change her ways. You should be happy!"

Emily knew that he was right, but somehow all of this didn't sit well with her.

"She's just trying to steal you from me!" she hissed. "She's trying to pay me back for marrying your father!"

Matheson rolled his eyes. His mother was being dramatic.

"No wonder she kept being my pal a secret. Will you give it a rest and bury the hatchet please! Aunt Hannah is trying." he pleaded.

Just then Hannah walked into the kitchen and Emily walked over to her pointing her finger in her face.

"I know what you're up to!" she snapped. "You're trying to steal my Matheson!"

Hannah laughed in disbelief. "I believe that Val already has him, Emily. I can't steal him!"

Matheson put his arm around Hannah which only irritated Emily more. "Ma, be nice!"

Emily walked over to the refrigerator and angrily flung it open causing the eggs in the door to fly out when the door banged against the cabinet.

"Emily!" Hannah gasped walking over to the mess of the eggs that splattered on the floor and began wiping them up with a paper towel. "What in the world's gotten into you?"

"I know this game you're playing!" Emily snapped leaning down to Hannah who was now on her knees wiping up the eggs. "You're trying to steal Matheson's love for me. You've never cared about him before. Why are you two so chummy with him now?"

Hannah stood up and threw the soggy paper towels in the trash. "You're wrong, Emily. I've always loved Matheson and the reason why I was afraid to show it is because I was afraid you'd use that against me and by the way you're acting now, I can see I was right."

She turned and walked out of the kitchen and Emily watched her depart knowing that she had won temporarily. She knew that her behavior was unacceptable, but she couldn't help herself. She looked up at Matheson who was watching her.

"I don't trust her, Matheson. You shouldn't either!" Emily said even though she knew that he would not take her words seriously. "I don't think you should spend too much time with her. In fact, you should suggest that she return to Florida as soon as possible."

Matheson's expression was suddenly sad. "Ma, really. I can't believe you're acting this way. "

"Can't you see what's going on?" Emily said walking over to him. She knew that Matheson had this 'one big happy family' attitude and she wasn't helping matters with her attitude towards Hannah, but she didn't trust her one bit!

"All I see is your bad behavior. Aunt Hannah is making an effort to change. This feud between the two of you has to stop! Aunt Hannah is making and effort, now I expect you to do the same."

"I am your mother! You don't tell me what to do!" Emily hissed. "You don't know how she really is. She did everything in her power to keep your father and I apart. I was glad that she hardly ever came around and now since the two of you are so chummy, she'll be up here all the time! She needs to get a life! She needs to find a man and leave you alone!"

Matheson stared at his mother's angry expression a moment. "You actually like fighting, don't you? You like keeping this thing between the two of you going. You don't want it to end!" He shook his head and turned to walk out of the kitchen. "Really Ma, I'm so disappointed."

Emily watched him leave not knowing what to say or what to do. Matheson was her only child. She couldn't lose him to Hannah! She began to pace back and forth trying to figure out what just happened between her and her son.

 

Chapter 27 The Best Laid Plans by Brenda1257

 

The Best Laid Plans

William Sr. read the report and tossed it on the table in total disgust. There was absolutely nothing in there that he could use to separate Matheson from that black girl. If he didn't know better, he'd swear that she was some sort of saint. Browne had always been able to dig up something when he needed him to. He couldn't believe that he had failed so miserably!

"Is this the best you could do?" he snapped looking at Browne whom he had used often for such tasks. Private Investigating after all, was his specialty. Usually he didn't have any problem digging up a little dirt.

The tall balding man looked at William Sr., his face serious. How could he make William Hendricks understand that not everyone had a closet full of skeletons.

"I'm sorry, sir. There's not much on the girl. She kept pretty much to herself before she got involved with your grandson. She only dated occasionally and it appears that her claims of being a virgin must have been true because we could find no one who would admit to being with her outside of a friendly date." Browne picked up the report that William Sr. had thrown down.

"The only thing that I can say for sure is that apparently she is estranged from her father's family and her grandmother Mavis is the only relative that she has on her mother's side that she's close to." He put the papers in the folder he was holding. "I will continue to monitor the situation."

William Sr. crossed his arms still unable to accept defeat. "Were you able to find out anything about the grandmother then that could be useful?"

"She's worked for your daughter in law's family all her life. In fact she was born in the same house your daughter in law was raised in." Browne continued to shuffle the papers in his hand. "One interesting thing though, I talked to Melford Jenkins whose father used to do grounds keeping work for the Matheson family. He's an old guy…about eighty I think."

Browne watched at William Sr. seemed to perk up. "I remember Melford Jenkins. He did grounds work for me also. Did he know anything that could be useful?"

"He says that Mavis' father was white. He was some big time politician" Browne looked at his notes. "I asked him if he knew who he was and I had to bribe him a bit. It seems that Langston Oxford came almost every Christmas holiday and spent it with the Mathesons. He and Emily Matheson's father had some sort of side business going on. He apparently was also having an affair with Mavis mother."

William Sr. leaned forward in his chair and scratched his chin. "Are you sure that Melford said that the man's name was Oxford?"

"Quite sure" Browne replied.

"Very interesting indeed" William Sr. replied. "I just so happen to know the Oxfords. Langston is dead of course, but he was married and had a child. His son is a Senator in fact. My, my. No wonder Mavis didn't need my money! That family most likely has been paying her way for years trying to keep her in the closet so to speak! I'm sure they wouldn't want people to know of the black sheep in the family and I mean that literally. I wonder if her granddaughter knows anything about them. The Oxfords are heavy into politics. They are WASP's to the core and very conservative."

"I don't how that would help you separate Valysia Chamberlayne from your grandson" Browne replied.

"It won't…but it could be a distraction if I play my cards right…buy me some time" William replied in deep thought.

He handed Browne an envelope. "Find out all you can about this Oxford connection. Maybe it's about time that Mavis learns about her father's family." He chuckled to himself. "This thing could cause a change in plans."

                                                 ((***))

Hannah walked around the mall not really shopping but she needed some time alone to think. She didn't want to come between Matheson and his mother. She liked the close relationship she and Matheson had developed and she didn't want anything changing that.

Things had even improved between her and Gregory. Only Emily seemed to despise her efforts to make peace and she wasn't sure what she was going to do about it. Why couldn't Emily just be happy that things were better? After all, her mother and father still doted on her. Emily didn't know what it was like to be an outsider in your own family. She had always been the one to have everyone's attention. What was wrong with sharing a little bit of that?

She wandered into one of the stores and immediately realized that it was a clothing store that catered to teens. She walked around looking at all of the glittery form fitting outfits. She saw a couple of girls with their friends and some with their mothers as they looked at the clothes. She was about to turn around and walk out of the store when she saw a young lady about fourteen or fifteen whose eyes were red from crying. Hannah noticed that she held a glittery belt in her hand and she was rolling it up and looking around. Hannah wondered if she was about to steal it and didn't know why she was compelled to go over to her, but she did.

"Hi" she said giving the girl a quick smile. "That's a nice belt you have. Are you going to purchase it?"

The girl looked at her surprised. "I was just looking at it" she replied in a heavy Latino accent.

"Where are you from?" Hannah asked taking the belt from her and examining it.

"I...I wasn't going to steal it" the girl protested. She looked away avoiding Hannah's eyes and Hannah knew that she was lying.

"It's not worth it." Hannah replied looking at the price tag. "It's only $9.99. You are worth much more than that, you know."

The girl frowned up at her. "What's it to you? Why do you care?"

"You've been crying" Hannah observed. "You wouldn't want to do anything hasty now, would you?"

"You don't know me!" the girl snapped tossing back her thick mane of waist length dark curls.

"No I don't." Hannah replied. "I'm Hannah Hendricks. What's your name?" She extended her hand and the girl looked at it suspiciously.

"You work in this store?" she asked eying Hannah.

"No, I was just shopping" Hannah replied putting the belt back on the rack.

"For your daughter?" the girl asked.

"I don't have a daughter." Hannah said. "I just wandered in here."

"You're too old for this stuff" the girl replied tartly.

"Oh really?" Hannah said laughing. "What about the belt? I could wear that with jeans."

"I suppose" the girl admitted. She rubbed her hands on the worn jeans she wore which were too short and too tight. Her long thick curly hair was loose and almost reached her waist.

Hannah stared at her a moment. "So, what's your name?"

"Amaya" she said looking around. "I have to go."

"Are you going to tell me why you were crying and contemplating stealing a belt?" Hannah asked.

Amaya turned to her surprised. "How do you know I was going to steal it? I told you that I was just looking at it!"

Hannah followed her out of the store and watched as she looked around as if looking for someone.

"You were going to steal it" Hannah replied knowingly. "That was a foolish idea. Nothing is worth throwing your life away."

Amaya looked at her clearly upset at Hannah's insight. "You don't know nothing about me, lady!"

Hannah watched as she ran off before she could respond and shrugged her shoulders. Well maybe she stopped the girl from throwing away a future. She decided leave the mall and return to the car she had rented. Her plan had been to walk around the mall and think about her own situation, not help some sticky fingered teen. She walked over to a nearby bench and decided to sit down for a moment.

Just then a security officer walked up to her. She looked up surprised when he stopped and stood in front of her.

"Excuse me, ma'am. May I have a word with you?"

Hannah looked up at him wondering what he wanted. "What's this all about, officer?"

"Who was that young lady you were conversing with earlier?" the officer asked fingering the handcuffs that were attached to his belt. Hannah looked at him and surmised that he couldn't be any older than Matheson. He had a young looking face with dirty blonde hair.

"I don't know her" Hannah replied.

"But you were talking to her" the officer insisted.

"Yes, because I thought she might have been contemplating stealing something. I tried to talk to her. Is that a problem?" Hannah crossed her arms across her chest.

"The store had been watching her. She's been in Body Central before and the employees believe that she stole something once before, but were not able to catch her. If she is your friend, you need to warn her not to come back into the store or there will be trouble and if you are hiding something, then you could be charged as her accomplice."

Hannah raised her eyebrow. "A person is innocent until proven guilty, sir. I told you that I don't know her."

The officer looked unconvinced. "Do you always try to save young hooligans that you don't know?"

Hannah stood up drew herself up clearly irritated. "I don't believe that I like your tone, sir. Is there anything else? I've told you all I know. I know my rights!"

The officer stepped back from her. "No, that is all. "

Hannah walked off in a huff, irritated by the officer's attitude. Just as she was about to exit the mall, she heard someone yelling.

"That's her! That's the lady!"

Hannah turned around and saw Amaya with a stocky man who was only about five feet four inches. She raised her eyebrow as the man walked over to her with Amaya in tow. Amaya looked afraid and the man was clearly angry.

"Madam, I understand that you were bothering my daughter!" he hissed. "She said you accused her of stealing. She told me she ran off before you could try anything. For all I know you could be on the list of pedophiles in the area! Do you always accost young girls who are shopping?"

Hannah cleared her throat surprised at his accusation. "I beg your pardon?"

"You heard me" the man snapped.

Hannah looked at Amaya who was grinning wickedly behind the man's back and then turned her attention back to the man.

"Your daughter was about to steal from that store and I stopped her. In fact the security guard came out and questioned me because they saw me talking to her. They wanted to know who she was because they believe that she may have stolen something before. If you don't believe me, I'd be happy to escort you back to the store and you can talk to the manager and security there. " She then looked at Amaya. "I am sure that the security in the store has video that we can review."

Suddenly the grin left Amaya's face, replaced by fear at what Hannah had said. "Papa, that's ok. Let's go."

The man looked at her and then at Hannah trying to figure out what was really going on. He yanked his daughter closer to him forcing her to look him in the eyes.

"Is this true, Amaya? Have you been stealing?" His grip tightened on her arm.

"No Papa!" she shrieked and quickly jerked away from him.

He turned to Hannah. "Is there really a video?"

"I don't know" Hannah replied. "But they are watching her. It would be best if she didn't go back in that store again."

Hannah watched as the father began speaking to Amaya rapidly in Spanish. He was a short man, but she could tell that he knew how to wield his authority. Amaya responded in Spanish and began to cry. He then turned back to Hannah.

"I appreciate you keeping my daughter from doing something foolish. She has admitted to me that she has not stolen anything, but came close on several occasions. I can see now that she cannot be trusted to shop on her own, therefore she will not be allowed to shop unless I accompany her."

He turned to Amaya and handed her his keys. "Go wait in the truck." He snapped. He then turned back to Hannah.

"What about her mother?" Hannah asked.

"Her mother is deceased, but that's no excuse!" He turned and said something again to his daughter in Spanish and she hurried out the mall with the keys to the truck in her hands.

"Thank you again…Mrs…" He said looking at Hannah extending his hand.

"Hannah Hendricks" Hannah replied.

"Emilio Juarez" the man said shaking her hand briefly. "Please forgive me for my previous behavior. I realize now that you were only trying to help."

Hannah felt the electricity at Emilo's touch and instantly blushed. His handshake was warm and firm. He had the same curly hair that his daughter possessed, but it was cut close on the sides and in the back leaving about an inch on top. His black hair had flecks of gray, but his face was smooth and handsome. He didn't look a day over forty five. He was stocky and muscular and Hannah could tell that he was used to hard work.

"Mr. Juarez…" Hannah said releasing her hold on his hand. "There's nothing to forgive. I can understand why you'd be upset. You seem to have things under control so I'll be leaving now."

"Very well…Mrs. Hendricks-"

"It's Miss" Hannah corrected him. She tried not to blush under his stare as he looked up at her.

"Miss Hendricks" Emilio replied. "I appreciate your concern for my daughter."

Hannah felt her heart pound hard as if it would jump out of her chest. She looked into his warm brown eyes and her eyes wandered to his neckline where he wore a silver chain with a cross. His checkered cotton shirt was open at the collar revealing a hint of the abundance of chest hair that he must possess and looking at made her hot. She looked back to his eyes and found him watching her which caused her to blush again.

"You're welcome Mr. Juarez" she said looking away.

"Emilio" he said with his thick Latino accent which made her hotter still.

"Yes…uh, Emilio"

He then pulled out a card and handed it to her.

"If you ever need any landscaping work done, please keep me in mind." Emilio said grinning. "Goodbye and thank you again."

Hannah's mouth was dry as she stared at the card and watched him exit the mall. She didn't know what had gotten into her. No man had ever affected her like Emilio had. His voice…his eyes… She quickly chastised herself bringing herself back to reality. The man was much too young for her! What was her problem?

She then walked out to the car and tried not to think anymore about Emilio Juarez. She shook her head as she thought about her plans of a peaceful time at the mall to think. So much for that!

                                            ((***))

Matheson drove to his parent's house after picking up Val so that she could meet his Grandmother. His father had delayed their meeting stating that his mother needed to be "prepared" as he called it.

His grandfather had made every move possible to try to convince him not to bring Val over stating that his wife's medical condition would be compromised with the news. Matheson had wanted Val to come over the very first day that his Grandmother had arrived, but somehow he had allowed his father and grandfather convince him to wait. Well he wasn't going to wait another minute longer.

He pulled up into the driveway and turned to Val.

"I'm sorry for allowing my father and grandfather to delay you meeting my grandmother" he said leaning over and kissing her.

Val laughed. "Maybe they hoped that you would change your mind…at least I believe that's what your Grandfather hopes. I think your father has accepted the fact that this marriage is going to happen."

Matheson got out and opened her car door. "Well I certainly hope so!"

They walked into the house and Matheson took her hand and led her into the den. His Grandmother was sitting on the sofa with her feet elevated on a hassock.

"Hi Grandma" he said walking over to her. His grandmother looked up surprised.

"Matheson, my boy!" she said pulling him down to her and kissing his cheek. "I wasn't expecting you until dinner time. Your mother's gone out to the store and your father is still at the office."

"Where's Gramps?" he inquired looking around.

"Out taking care of some sort of business." His Grandmother replied. She then looked at Val and then at Matheson's hand holding hers. Her hair was completely white and she wore it in a long french braid.

"So…who is this young lady, Matheson" she asked.

"This is Valysia…my fiancé." He replied.

His grandmother's mouth fell open and stared from Val to Matheson.

"Your fiancé?" she asked clearly shocked.

"Yes Grandmother, I love her" Matheson replied putting his arm around Val.

"Hello" Val said shyly extending her hand.

"Well my goodness!" his Grandmother said taking her hand. "This is a surprise. You're black right? I mean are you black or are you an African?"

Val tried not to laugh. "I'm black, Mrs. Hendricks. Born right here in the good old U S of A."

"I see" Grandma Hendricks replied and then turned to Matheson.

"How did the two of you meet?"

"She's Mavis' granddaughter" Matheson replied.

His grandmother looked surprised. "Mavis…why does that name sound familiar?"

"Mavis is the woman who raised my mother." Matheson said. "You remember her, don't you Grandma?"

His grandmother studied him a moment. "Yes, Matheson. Now I remember her. "She turned and looked at Val. "I don't know what to say…so I guess all I can say is congratulations."

Matheson laughed. "Gramps had a whole lot more to say than that! He's already told me that he doesn't want any pickaninny grandchildren. He doesn't approve of my marriage and has told me so on several occasions."

"You know your grandfather. He doesn't know how to be diplomatic." She replied still staring at Val.

Matheson sat down beside his grandmother and pointed to a chair for Val to sit. He turned to his grandmother and took her hand.

"But you know how to be diplomatic even though you feel the same way that he does, right?" Matheson said looking at Val. "I love her, Grandma. I just want you two to understand that and be happy for me."

"Love may not be enough in a mean and cold world, Matheson. You're fortunate because you have a good living and an inheritance. I have never seriously gone against anything that your grandfather has made a decision on. Don't expect me to change now." She looked at Valysia. "What does your family have to say about this?"

"My Grandmother is happy for me. She's the only one that matters. The rest of my father's family knows but their opinion is unimportant."

"Family is always important" Grandma Hendricks replied. "I'm an old lady. I know times are changing as they say…but still. You should think seriously about this before you make such a move, Matheson."

Matheson stood up. "I have thought about it, Grandma. My mind is made up."

"I'm not surprised. You're just like your Grandfather when you make your mind up about something, there's no changing it." She sighed and sat up straight on the sofa. "What are you going to do about your grandfather?"

Matheson could see the worried look on her face and put his arm around her. "I'm not going to do anything. He'll just have to accept it."

Grandma Hendricks shook her head. "One thing I know about William Hendricks, he's not going to just accept it. He'll fight and finagle until he gets his way!"

"I don't think he'll get his way!" Matheson replied. "I can be just as stubborn."

Grandma Hendricks sighed and sat back down. "That's just what I was afraid of."

Grandma Hendricks

Chapter 28 Don't Mess With Emily by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson and VAl attend a bridal show.  Mavis gets an unexpected surprise from her past!

Don't Mess with Emily

Emily looked over the guest list she was writing. It was already up to one hundred and fifty people and she hadn't even added any of Gregory's associates or their friends to the list.

She was scheduled to attend a bridal show with Matheson and Val that day and she was excited. She was happy that Val wanted her advice. This was going to be almost as much fun as being the bride! The house was quiet as Gregory was at work and her inlaws had returned to Florida.

She checked her watch and realized that it was getting near the time to pick up Mavis. It was Saturday and Matheson was at the bakery. Val was off from her job and she assured her that picking up Mavis and meeting them at the hotel would not be a problem. She quickly put the list in her pocketbook and left the house and headed to Mavis' apartment.

The drive didn't take her as long as she expected as there was little traffic on the road which pleased her. She pulled up in front of Mavis' apartment complex and quickly went up and knocked on the door. Mavis opened the door and smiled. She had a cup of coffee in her hand.

"Miss Emily! You're early" Mavis observed leading her into the living room. She then went into the kitchen and got another cup and handed it to Emily who took it and gave it a quick sip.

"Bah, I'm not that early" Emily protested jumping up and almost spilling the coffee. She quickly sat the cup down and began to pace back and forth unable to contain her excitement. "I know you're just as excited about Val and Matheson as I am. I haven't been to a bridal show in years! I didn't think I'd have the experience since I don't have a daughter, but this is truly a blessing! You remember all the planning you helped me with when I married Gregory! It's like that all over again!"

She clapped her hands together and sat back down and picked up her cup and began to sip the coffee again. Mavis was dressed in a plaid skirt and white blouse. She was unmoved by Emily's outburst as she was used to her ways. Suddenly Emily looked worried. She reached over and touched Mavis.

"Are you sure you can handle being at the show?" she asked eying Mavis like an overprotective mother. "There will be a lot of people there and I don't want you to overexert yourself!"

"I'll be fine!" Mavis replied rolling her eyes. Emily could change moods in a blink of an eye. "I'm sure that they will have some chairs around. It's at the Omni. I'll look for one if I get tired. Stop worrying!"

Emily jumped up again when she saw Mavis get her jacket and began to help her put it on. "Matheson and Val should already be there when we arrive." Emily replied searching her purse for her keys.

"Remember I told you that Mr. William came to see me not too long ago" Mavis said as they walked out the door. "He's not to happy about this marriage."

"So you told me!" Emily snapped none too pleased. "I am going to keep an eye on him. He's most definitely up to something. He's not going to ruin this for my Matheson! I won't have it!"

The got in the car and pulled off. Mavis knew Emily well enough to know that Mr. William had better watch his back. Nobody messed with Emily Matheson Hendricks and got away with it.


Val walked up to the registration table and signed in. The perky brunette quickly gave her a sticker to put on saying "Bride" and one for Matheson that said "Groom".

"Congratulations!" the brunette said grinning after watching them put on their stickers.

"Thank you" Matheson replied putting his arm around Val. He quickly looked around and then checked his cell phone.

"Mom's going to call me on her cell when she and Mavis arrives" Matheson said looking around at the crowd of people that were entering the hotel. "There seems to be a lot of vendors here."

"I know" Val replied following his gaze. The place was crowded but not overly so. People were milling around the many vendors that were displaying their wares. Matheson's phone went off and he quickly answered it.

"They're here" Matheson replied walking back to the hotel entrance pulling her along with him. He spotted his mother and waved to get her attention. She was holding Mavis arm protectively and was looking around at the crowd with a worried expression on her face. She smiled when she spotted Matheson and Val.

"I think this is great!" Emily said clapping her hands together as they walked up to her. She quickly turned to Mavis. "Let me know as soon as you feel too tired"

Mavis rolled her eyes. "I'm fine" She turned to Val. "So what do we do first?"

"Let's walk around to the different vendors and we can taste their samples." Val replied. They have everything a bride could want here."

"I am sure" Mavis replied dryly "I bet the prices are outrageous!"

"Money is no object when it comes to my Matheson" Emily replied patting her on the arm. "Don't you worry about that."

"I'm not worried" Mavis replied. "I have some money. I won't have you paying for everything, Ms. Emily"

Emily patted her on the arm and looked at Matheson. "We'll work that out later. Let's just have some fun."

There were several caterers there and they sampled all they had to offer. There were meatballs and crab dip and spinach dip. Matheson and Val talked to a DJ while Emily looked at invitations. She kept an eye on Mavis who was talking to one of the representatives from a limo company.

"There's so much for them to think about" Mavis said walking back over to Emily. "How in the world will the keep it all straight?"

"They need a wedding planner" Emily replied. "In fact, there's a booth over there with one and we'll have to tell the kids about it."

They walked over to Matheson and Val who were now talking to a woman that made wedding cakes. Val was getting information from each booth that they were interested in and putting the information in a pink canvas bag that had been provided to them by the hotel.

"Come on, Grandma" she said looking around. "We need to go and get seated. The fashion show will start in thirty minutes.

Mavis was glad that they were going to sit down. She had tasted enough wedding cakes and reception food and was ready to take a break. The suite where the fashion show was being held was filling up fast, but the got great seats on the second row.

Matheson watched trying not to let his mind wander as bridal gown after bridal gown was being modeled. Then came the brides maids dresses and the mother's dresses. Enough already! A few grooms came out in tuxedo's which perked up his interest a bit, but all in all he found it quite boring. Still as a groom he knew he had to endure all this.

He glanced over at Val who was watching the show intensely and writing everything down. He could see the imprint of her nipples through the cotton shirt she was wearing with her jeans and he felt the familar stirring in his belly. Down boy, he thought to himself and tried to concentrate on the show.

The last few weeks had been quite hectic for him. Dealing with his grandparents had not been an easy task. Sure his Grandmother was a sweetheart, but Gramps had made it clear that he didn't approve of his choice in a bride and Matheson knew that he would do whatever he could to throw a wrench in his plans, but that was not going to happen!

What he wanted to do right now was to take his bride to be out of this hotel...or maybe get a room here and have his way with her. It had been a couple of weeks since they had been intimate and he was beginning to feel the neglect. He glanced over at his mother who was talking to Mavis and pointing to the models. Women loved this kind of thing. He just didn't see the excitement about all this. Still he would do anything to make Val happy and Val was happy. Maybe she would show him some gratitude a little later.

Finally, the show was over and Matheson tried not to let out a sigh of relief.

"We should go and get something to eat!" Emily said clapping her hands together. She quickly looked at Mavis. "Unless you are too tired, dear."

"I'm fine" Mavis replied smiling. "Let's go to Panera Bread"

She looked at Matheson. "Unless you two have other plans."

Matheson smiled at her. He did have something else in mind...but that could wait for a little bit.

"Well we have to eat" he replied. "Panera it is."

He waited on a bench while the ladies went into the rest room. Most of the people were now beginning to leave as the bulk of the show was over. He looked up as his mother came out of the rest room first.

"Where's Val and Mavis?" he asked surprised.

"Oh, they'll be out in a minute" Emily said smiling. She was wearing her long red hair loosely around her shoulders. As always she looked to Matheson like she was up to something. She rubbed her hands together like an excited child.

"Wasn't that great?" she squealed sitting next to Matheson on the bench. She quickly linked her arm in his. "All this reminds me of my own wedding so long ago."

"Feeling a little nostalgic, huh Ma?" he teased.

"Well I know you don't think much of all this." Emily replied wisely. "Men aren't into all the wedding planning stuff. All they want to do is tear the wedding dress off the bride and give her all they got to give!"

Matheson chuckled. "Oh really?"

Emily layed her head on his shoulder. "You don't fool me, boy. I saw you staring at Val's chest. The only thing on your mind was the wedding night, not all this stuff."

Matheson hugged her back. "You're a mess, Ma."

"I'm so happy, Matheson." she confessed kissing him on the cheek. "I just wish I could have had more like you."

Matheson chuckled again. "It is what it is, Ma."

"What do you want for a wedding present?" she asked sitting back up and releasing his arm.

Matheson stared at her a moment. "What I want will cost you too much, so I'm not going to ask for it."

"That's ridiculous!" Emily snapped. "Ask me. If I can do it, I will."

"I don't know..." Matheson replied slowly.

Emly jumped up from the bench. "Matheson Gregory Hendricks! Answer me! What is it!"

She put her hands on her hips.

"I want you to forgive Aunt Hannah. I want us to be a real family." Matheson replied his eyes sad. "I want you to know that you're my mother and I love you and my love for Aunt Hannah is not a threat to that."

For a moment Emily stared at him. "You're trying to trick me."

"No Ma." he replied sincerely. "You asked me what I wanted, demanded to know in fact and I'm being as honest as I can. That's all I want from you. It will make me happy and it will make Dad happy too."

Emily stared at him and didn't say anything for a moment. She reached over and rubbed his face. He stared at her, his eyes glassy and she knew he meant just what he said.

"You know, you remind me of her in a way." she confessed finally.

"Really?" Matheson replied surprised.

"Yeah." Emily snapped. "It irks the hell out of me to admit it, but it's true. Some of your facial expressions, your eyes...I see her in you all the time! I just never wanted to admit such a thing." She sat back down beside him.

Matheson reached over and kissed her on the cheek. "Then look at her and see me"

Emily smiled at him. "I do. That irks the hell out of me even more!"

The meal at Panera bread was just the thing they needed to finish off the afternoon. Emily called Gregory on her cell and had him meet them there. Matheson was surpised that he arrived there so quickly.

"Your mother called me as soon as the bridal show was over" Greogry replied. "This way she gets out of cooking dinner."

"Bah, you like Panera anyway" Emily said wrinkling her nose at him as she ate the potato soup and a sandwich. "So what's your plans for the rest of the evening?" She turned to Matheson and Val.

"We really don't have any." Val replied. "I want to look over some of the things I picked up at the show."

"Miss Emily can take me home, Val" Mavis replied. She was beginning to feel a little tired.

"Of course I can" Emily said. "You two go on and enjoy the rest of your evening.

Suddenly Mavis looked up and caught her breath. Emily watched Mavis as the spoon she was eating her soup with clattered to the floor. Mavis looked as if she had seen a ghost and all eyes were on her. Suddenly she began to tremble.

"Grandma, what's wrong?" Val asked reaching across the table.

"It's him!" Mavis whispered, her voice shaky. "I mean...it looks just like him!"

"Like who?" Emily replied looking around quickly trying to figure out what she was talking about. She looked at Mavis who was beginning to shake even more.

"What is it?" Emily said putting her arm around her protectively. Her gaze followed Mavis' who was watching a tall man whose hair was completely white. He had narrow grey eyes and was well dressed in a business suit. He looked to be in his late sixties.

"Do you know that man?" Gregory asked following Mavis' gaze.

"I...I" Mavis stammered unable to tear her eyes away from the man who sat unknowingly with his family.

"He looks just like my father." She turned to Emily. "You don't know him Ms. Emily. He used to come and stay with your folks when my mother was alive. I told you about him."

Emily stared at the man a moment and before anyone could say anything further she jumped up from the table and walked over to the man. Mavis was horrified. "Miss Emily, No!" Mavis gasped, but Emily ignored her.

"Excuse me" Emily said walking over to the man and extending her hand. "I'm Emily Matheson Hendricks.

The man looked up at her surprised. He was sitting with a woman and several young children. He stared at Emily's outstretched hand.

"Langston Oxford, III" the man replied smiling taking her hand in his. He turned back to the table. "This is my daughter Rowena and my two grandsons, Miles and Chauncey. The two young boys stared at Emily curiously. "What can I do for you Ms. Hendricks."

"Well, it seems that my mother" she pointed to Mavis "recognized you and couldn't place you. I just thought I'd come over and find out for myself."

Langston stared at Mavis and then back at Emily. "Your mother you say?"

"Yes...my adopted mother. But she's the only mother I know. My biological mother died when I was just a baby."

He looked from Mavis to Emily not knowing exactly what to make of all this. He wondered for a moment if someone was playing a prank. The older black woman looked terrified and this redhead that stood before him looked sort of wild to him.

"I don't think I know your mother." he said finally.

"Was your father also named Langston Oxford?" she asked.

"Of course" he replied.

"Did he have a business venture with a family named Matheson? Perhaps you may have heard of my family." Emily said glancing over to Mavis.

Langston stared at her a moment and then broke out in a smile. "Of course! Now I remember." he replied. My father would spend a week during the Christmas holiday's every few years with a family named Matheson. My mother had passed and we would stay with her sister during Christmas. Papa hated Christmas without our mother so he worked a lot of times. Yes, now I remember. So you're that family?"

"Yes. " Emily replied. "I don't remember your father. All that happened before I was born, I think. I do remember Papa  and my grandfather talking about him when I was small. They were in business together it seems."

"Well it's a small world" Langston replied grinning.

Emily looked up and saw Gregory walking towards her.

"Emily we need to go. Mavis is tired" Gregory replied. He nodded at Langston. "Hello. I hope my wife isn't disturbing you."

"Not at all" Langston replied. "It seems that her family and mines are old friends."

"Just a minute." Emily said walking over to Mavis. Langston watched curiously as she walked back over to their table.

"Mavis it's not your father, it's his son." Emily said. "I think you should meet him."

"I can't " Mavis replied shaking. "He looks just like him."

"He's your brother, Mavis" Emily replied.

"He doesn't know that!" Mavis insisted. "It's best to just leave the past in the past!"

"Nonsense!" Emily protested. "The best way to heal is to get it all out in the open."

"Ma, please" Matheson interjected standing up from the table. "Mavis is upset. We should just go."

Emily looked at Val. "We need to get this straight don't you think?"

Val looked at Mavis and then back at Emily. Everything was happening so fast. "I don't want my grandmother to be upset. Obviously this man upsets her. We should just go."

Just then Langston Oxford walked over to their table.

"Is everything alright?" he asked curiously. He extended his hand to Mavis. "Hi, I'm Langston Oxford. You knew my father, right?"

Mavis stood up and wouldn't look him in the face. She hung her head. "I've got to go."

"Are you alright?" Langston asked watching her as she trembled.

"I'm fine" Mavis muttered.

Emily turned to Langston. "She's not fine. She saw you and you reminded her of your father."

Langston looked at Mavis and smiled. "You knew my father? Everybody says I look just like him!"

Mavis didn't reply and Emily looked in horror as tears began to run down her face as she began to cry.

'Mavis don't cry. I can't stand to see you upset." She turned to Langston. "We've got to go."

"I don't understand." Langston said backing up as Matheson and Val came around the table to Mavis. "Is she alright?"

"No she's not alright" Emily replied. "You look just like your father and it has upset her."

The confusion on Langston's face was obvious. "You look just like her father" Emily whispered as she picked up her purse to follow the rest who had already headed for the door. "Just think about what I just said."

She then quickly walked towards the exit leaving a dumbfounded Langston Oxford standing in the middle of the floor.

Langston Oxford, III

Chapter 29 The Ugly Truth by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Langston seaches his past with shocking results.

The Ugly Truth

Langston Oxford was disturbed by what happened at Panera though he tried not to show it. He explained to Rowena that the Matheson's were an old family friend and she seemed satisfied with his explanation.

He finished his meal with his daughter and grandchildren and went home to his own empty condo. The thought of him actually having siblings never entered his mind. His father always seemed distant and consumed with his business. He never brought home a woman after his mother died and as far as he knew his father never dated.

Langston's own wife had been dead for years. In fact, she had died when Rowena was just twelve years old and she was now thirty five. Rowena was his only child just as he had been an only child…or so he thought. Could it be possible that the black woman…that Matheson woman's mother could be his sister? Could his father have had an affair with some black woman? Was that the real reason that his father was gone every other Christmas, to be with his mistress instead of spending Christmas with his only son? It was all very confusing.

Langston guessed that the woman that was possibly his sister was about his age. How ironic. He had to learn more. This was a side of his father that he couldn't comprehend. His father seemed totally unsypathetic towards blacks. Calling him prejudiced was not far from the truth. When Langston was young, he argued against the civil rights movement and black's voting rights. He called them low life coons when he was in the presence of his constituents, in fact. Still, he had never seen his father mistreat any black person that he'd employed and the younger Langston felt that it was all just political talk anyway. His father never said these things otherwise and they always rang false to him when he did say them.

Langston didn't share his father's beliefs. He was a young man when blacks were marching for their rights and he sympathized with them. Somehow it just didn't seem fair to him the way that they had been treated. He often debated this with his father when he a teenager and his father was still alive. Since his father was a Senator, he thought his father was in a position to instigate some change, but his father didn't want to even consider doing anything to help black people. He was too concerned about making his constituents angry and most of them was against it. The elder Langston was always concerned about "appearances".

The younger Langston thought that his father's speeches against intergration were all a bunch of hogwash and that his father was just another politician playing the game. The younger Langston wanted to be a public servant in order to make some changes in the system. His father had laughed in his face when he told him that, but he had the last laugh when he was elected. He used to always say to his son that everyone goes in with greal ideals, but things will change once you're actually elected.  Young Langston didn't believe that for a minute! Too bad that his father was already deceased by the time he became a Senator himself.

Surely that red headed Matheson woman must be mistaken. He and his father were never that close. In fact, he was always pawning Langston off to a relative so that he could work. Could this affair be the work his father was talking about? Did he keep it a secret because she was black? Was his father really that much of a hypocrite? Could he have gone around saying racist things about blacks to his constituents while all the time he was sleeping with one?

Langston quickly entered his condo and went up to his bed room and searched through the dresser for the keys to their family home. He had to know. The house was shut up and he did go there from time to time. It was only about a few hours drive away in Northern Virginia. If there were any answers to be found, he felt that he could find some there.

He quickly got in the car and drove to his birthplace wondering if his search through his father's things would turn up anything. He still remembered the terrified look on the black woman's face. What was that all about? Was she afraid of his father? Did he threaten her and her mother if they exposed his father's affair. Could it be that her seeing him caused it all to come flooding back in her mind? Langston didn't know the truth but he made up his mind that he had to find out!


Matheson and Val followed Emily and Mavis to the car after they left Panera. They looked around to make sure that Langston Oxford didn't follow them outside and was relieved that he did not. Val needed some time to sort all this out in her head.

"We'll follow you home Grandma" Val insisted. "This has been a hectic day and to top it all off seeing that man must have been quite stressful!'

"Nonsense!" Mavis protested. "I'm fine. That may just caught me completely off guard. I wasn't expecting to see him, that's all."

"I will see that she gets some tea and get right into bed" Emily insisted. "Your father will follow me. You two go on. We'll be fine."

"I don't know…" Val said reluctantly.

"I'm fine, really" Mavis insisted. "I guess I overreacted a bit."

"You couldn't help it thinking you were coming face to face with your mother's rapist!" Emily insisted.

"I can see why you were upset. Perhaps you're right. Just let the past be the past." Matheson said patting her hand.

"He must have thought I was a nut case" Mavis replied getting into the car.

"It doesn't matter what he thinks" Emily said shutting the door.

"Are you sure you'll be alright, Grandma" Val asked worried. She leaned in the car window and gave Mavis a quick kiss.

"Baby, I'm fine" Mavis replied patting her hand.

"Alright then. I'll call you later" Val said looking at Matheson who put has arm around her as she backed away from the car.

She watched as Emily pulled out into traffic and then turned to Matheson. "Maybe we should follow them."

"It's up to you" he replied leading her back to his car.

Just then Val's phone went off and she looked at it. "It's Grandma!"

"I want you to go on home now" Mavis said as if reading her mind. "No need to follow me. I'm just fine."

Val laughed. "Yes ma'am."

She hung up the phone smiling. "She knows me too well."

"I haven't seen much of your lately." Matheson replied after they pulled into traffic. "Our schedules haven't been synching."

"I know. You've been working a lot" She looked at him sideways. "You are taking your meds right?"

"Of course" he replied. "I feel great."

He grinned at her giving her a pained look. "I do hurt in a certain area though…some parts of me are feeling neglected."

Val laughed. "Oh really? Well we'll have to see what we can do about that."

Matheson picked up speed at her reply.

"What are you doing?'" she asked laughing.

"Getting you to my apartment as quickly as possible!" he chuckled. "I don't want you changing your mind on me."

She reached over and caressed him through his pants making him instantly hard.

"What do you think you're doing?" he asked putting his hand over hers.

"Rubbing it trying to make it feel better" she replied innocently.

"I'm sure you want to get to my apartment in one piece." he whispered "So you'd better behave yourself, Missy."

When they pulled into the lot of his complex she gave him another quick squeeze.

"You're going to pay for that" he threatened as she quickly exited the vehicle. She laughed as he tried to shift himself so that his erection wasn't so obvious.

"Promises, promises." she teased and ran up to his door. He quickly followd her and inserted the key into the lock and pushed her into the apartment.

"I've changed my mind" she stated trying to keep a straight face as she turned to face him.

"Like hell you have" he snapped grabbing her and kicking the door shut with his foot. She broke free from his grasp and walked across the room.

"A woman can change her mind if she wants to." she replied plopping down on the sofa and looking up at him. She watched as he began undressing wondering what he was going to do. In a few moments he stood before her completely naked. His eyes were on her as he stroked himself. He didn't say anything, but continued to stare at her his eyes an intense blue.

"It's been two weeks...you don't want me?" he whispered moving closer to her. By now his penis was inches from her face and she watched as the bead of precum formed on the head. She could smell his arousal and it made her wet. She looked up at him watching her intensely as he stroked himself.

"I'm a gentleman" he whispered. "I'd never try to force a lady. However it's been two weeks...surely you want some of this."

"Maybe" she replied staring at the perfectly shapped head. She reached out for him and he backed up.

"You don't want me, remember?" he teased. "I guess I'll just have to take care of this little problem myself while you watch."

"I changed my mind again." she whispered. "Come here. I've got something for you."

He moved closer and she quickly grabbed him and ran her tongue over the head making him shudder.

"Val-"

"I've missed this." she confessed cutting him off. She took as much of him into her mouth as she could. He groaned grabbing her hair. He loved the way she made him feel when she did oral. The suction of her mouth and the feel of her tongue was indescribable.

Matheson could feel himself being drawn to the end after several minutes of her talented tongue. Her hands were caressing his scrotum and her teasing tongue ran up and down his shaft. She would then suck hard on the head and then run her tongue over him again.

"Val-"

"I know" she whispered 'Come on, baby. I want you to."

"But I want-" he protested between gasps of pleasure. She watched as his legs quivered as he tried to remain in a standing position.

"I want this first one" she said licking the underside of his erection before sucking hard on him once again. "Come on give it to me. Don't hold back."

Matheson couldn't fight her. She seemed to be able to read him. Just as he came close she would stop and waited for his pending orgasm to subside prolonging his pleasure.

"Val, you're torturing me..."

She took him back into her mouth again at his protest. "It'll make it better in the end."

She watched as he seemed to quiver at her touch more and more. The power she had over him made her want him even more. Suddenly he lurched forward as his orgasm consumed him and she felt him filling her mouth. For a moment she wondered if she could handle it as it didn't seem as if it was going to end. He then collasped on the sofa beside her. His breathing was labored and his eyes closed.

"I think I've died and gone to heaven" he muttered.

Val began kissing him starting at his forehead and working her way down. She ran her lips over his eyes planting light kisses all over his face. He didn't protest, but let her have her way. Matheson loved the feel of her lips as they traveled over his body. She ran her tongue over his lips and his chin. She nibbled on his ear lobe. He felt her tongue explore his nipples and then he shivered as she placed small kisses on his stomach.

He grabbed her and pulled her face up to his. He had never known a woman like his Val that was so giving...so loving...so much of a woman. His heart felt as if it would leap out of his chest. There was nothing that he wouldn't do for her.

"Do you know how much I love you?" he asked kissing her hard.

"I have an idea" she said smiling.

"Good" he replied sitting up. "Get undressed. It's my turn to show you."


Langston pulled into the driveway of his family home. The large white house with the large oak in the front yard looked the same as it always had. He paid to have it kept up and noticed that the lawn was perfectly manicured.

He got out of the car and walked in taking the alarm off. The house felt cold and empty. It was much too large for him and he often asked himself why he held onto it. He hadn't lived in it in years and only came here about twice a year.

Still, it was his family home and it would be Rowena's one day. He threw the keys on a nearby table and cut on the lights. The inside was dusty as he hadn't been there in several months.

He didn't have a lot of good memories in the house. His father was always sending him to his mother's sister when he was younger. The older Langston acted like he didn't know what to do with a small child. When he lived here he stayed in his room mostly. The house was always quiet since his father mostly stayed in his room or his office. They hardly ever had meals together and he had only the servants to talk to.

As he got older, his father communicated with him a little more, but still he was more into his work than he was into his son. The younger Langston vowed that he would not be that way and had to admit that he had spoiled Rowena rotten. Still, she was an overacheiver just like his father and he found that she'd rather work for what she wanted than to have it handed to her. He guessed that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

He had left most of his father's things in the bedroom he had occupied when he was alive and the younger Langston rarely went into his father's bedroom. He had promised himself years ago that he would clean it out, but he kept procastinating. Now he was glad that he didn't as he had promised himself that he would search it thoroughly to see what he could find out about the secret life his father had led.

He went up the steps to the large bedroom and opened the door. The large poster bed stared back at him with the chenille bedspread. He walked over to the closet and opened the door. Most of his father's things were still there as if he had died recently rather than the forty years he knew had passed since his death.

He realized that his father stopped traveling to the Matheson's for Christmas by the time he was a teenager. It was then that it was discovered that he had heart problems and he hardly left the house accept to go to the doctor.

He pulled some boxes down from the top of the closet. Mostly the boxes contained receipts and some old documents. Nothing was there pertaining to his father's dealings with the Mathesons. He coughed and sneezed because of all the dust and put the boxes back and pondered for a moment.

His office! Langston had forgotten that his father had a small office off from the kitchen. He quickly went downstairs. The office was off from the kitchen pantry and was not that noticible which is why he had forgotten about it. He turned the knob and found it locked. He thought for a minute and ran back upstairs and opened the drawer on the nightstand beside the bed. He remembered a ring of keys being there. Finding them, he quickly returned to his task. There were about twelve keys on the ring and at about the eighth key he felt it turn in the lock.

The office was very dusty. No one had been in there in years. He walked around. The large mahogany desk was covered with papers. He looked around and saw several file cabinets and storage boxes. He didn't know where to begin to look. He sighed and cut on the light on the desk and began to rummage through the papers.

Several hours passed and he didn't find anything at all indicating that he was anything other than the father he knew. Perhaps that crazy red head was wrong. Maybe she was mistaken. He pushed himself back from the desk. He had gone through the file cabinets and the desk and hadn't found anything. Most of the storage boxes held more receipts, bank statements, tax forms and the like. Nothing out of the ordinary.

He got up and was about to walk out of the room when he noticed a picture hanging on the wall in the far corner. It was an odd place for a picture because the way it was hanging, no one would be able to really see it.

He walked over to the picture and it was a winter scene of people iceskating. Upon closer inspection Langston noticed that several of the people in the picture were holding presents and a couple was sitting on a bench holding hands. The female had a gift in her lap. It was obvious to him that it was Christmastime. His father hated Christmas!

Langston removed the picture from the wall and found a safe hidden there. He quickly retreived the keys that had let him into the room. He remembered the key chain that was on the ring of keys. Now it made sense. The keychain was an old plastic key chain from a car dealership. His father had scratched three numbers on the back of the keychain.

Langston remembered that his father always had a bad memory and perhaps the numbers were the combination to the safe. He quickly picked up the keys and held the under the light and saw 15-43-12 written on the back.

After several tries the safe popped open. Langston removed everything and brought it back over to the desk into the light. He discovered some money in an envelope, about five thousand dollars in cash. There were insurance policies on him that he knew were no longer valid. There were some stocks that he would check out later. Then there was a brown accordian file. He opened it and found a few pictures.

There were several of a black woman dressed with a rag tied around her head. She was standing with a white man and woman. It was obvious to Langston that she was a servant. Could this be his father's mistress? She was dark but had striking features...but not at all what he pictured in his head as a mistress. Maybe he was mistaken. He couldn't imagine the stuffy Langston Oxford, Jr. carrying on with a black servant!

There was another picture of the same woman with a baby. The baby looked white in the old black and white pictures but Langston couldn't be sure. Could this be the woman at Panera's? There were a few more pictures of the woman and the baby. Langston noted that the woman did not look happy. She didn't smile in any of the pictures. There were no pictures of his father with the woman, only the woman with baby and a white woman and man. Could this be the Mathesons?

He sat the pictures aside and looked to see what else was in the envelope and found an old letter. He could tell it was written by a woman. He glanced towards the bottom of the letter and saw that it was signed by Trudy Matheson.

Mr. Oxford:

I am writing this letter without the knowledge of my father. I am trusting you to least hear me out.

Lillie is not well. We do not expect her to last another six months. Mavis is only fourteen and has already told me that she is going to leave as soon as her mother passes. She is full of anger over her situation and I do not believe I can compel her to stay after that.

My pregnancy is not going well and I cannot bear to lose both her and Lilly. Even though you may not want to admit it, we all know that Mavis is your child conceived in our house and we feel responsible.

The least you can do is send me $500 as an incentive to get Mavis to stay with me. I will, of course be discrete and she will not know that it came from you because that would only make matters worse.

I am appealing to your sense of duty as a father and to any remaining decency you may possess, Mr. Oxford. Please do not disappoint me by showing yourself to be less of a man than I have already credited you to be.

Sincerely,

Trudy Matheson

Langston found a money order receipt for $500 made out to Trudy Matheson also in the envelope. The letter was dated June 15, 1959. The letter stated that the child was fourteen so that would make her about 65. That must have been the woman at Paneras! She was four years younger than Langston. It surprised him that with the tone of the letter that his father had actually sent the requested funds. He must have felt guilty about what he did to that woman!

He quickly put the information back in the envelope and stuffed everything back in the safe. He had to sit down a moment to think. He had a sister! She was black! He opened the desk drawer looking for the bottle of liquor he had seen there earlier. Maybe a drink could calm his nerves.

He opened the bottom drawer and found the bottle. A cloth patch was stuck to the bottom of the bottle as he lifted it from the drawer and he pulled it off and examined it. It was the type that should be sewn onto a uniform. It was white with blue writing that said "Klans of America." A white hand holding up a red torch was in the center of the patch.

Lanston dropped the patch feeling sick and then threw the liquor bottle in the trash. What kind of man was his father? How could he sanction the killing of black people and then lie down and make a baby with one of them? His head began to throb. He was flesh of his father's flesh and bone of his father's bone. Everyone told him as he was growing up that he looked just like him. Langston now wondered if deep down he had any of his father's tendencies? No wonder the black woman was so upset when she saw him. Her own father...his father was a Klan member!

Langston quickly cut off the lights and left the office, locking the door behind him. He needed some answers and he knew he had to find Emily Matheson Hendricks and her mother Mavis in order to obtain them.

 

Lilly and Mavis

Chapter 30 Confronting the Past by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Langston visits Mavis.  Langston learns the truth!

Confronting the Past

Mavis exited the church and looked around for VaLysia who had promised to pick her up from her meeting. She spotted her car and waved to get her attention. She was happy that Val was picking her up as she hadn't seen much of her over the last few weeks with the wedding planning. Val had called her every day to check on her since the infamous confrontation with Langston Oxford.

Val pulled up to the curb and quickly jumped out of the car. She hugged her Grandmother and gave her a quick kiss before opening the passenger door of the car for her.

"Hey Grandma. I hope I'm not late" she said grinning.

"Of course not" Mavis replied as she climbed into the car. "I just walked out of the church."

She slid her cane in the back seat and snapped her seat belt. Val quickly closed the door and walked around the car and got in the driver's seat.

"How's the wedding plans going?" Mavis asked. "You're practically glowing. I gather that Matheson has been treating you well."

"Everything's coming together." Val replied "Emily is a big help. I can't believe that it's getting so close. We'll be getting married in a couple of months!"

"I know Matheson is counting down the days" Mavis replied giving Val a sidelong glance. "That boy seems totally over the moon for you, girl. "

Val laughed. "The feeling is mutual, Grandma. I feel that I'm the luckiest person in the world"

They pulled up in front of Mavis' residence and Val helped her grandmother out of the car. Mavis never used her cane unless she was tired and so she walked into the building holding it in her hand. Val held her arm as they walked into the building.

Val was surprised when a man got up from one of the chairs in the lobby and approached them. It was Langston Oxford. She quickly looked at her Grandmother dreading her reaction. Her Grandmother stiffened for a moment and looked at Langston warily as he approached, her expression guarded.

"Good evening" Langston said nodding his head. He looked a bit nervous himself, Val observed. Gone was the suit that she first saw him in and now he was wearing a green polo shirt and navy blue pants with a blazer. His gray hair was neatly parted on the side and he ran his hand through it.

"Good evening" Val replied looking at her grandmother.

"What can we do for you, Mr. Oxford" Mavis asked her voice straining to remain in control. Now that she looked at him she could see obvious differences between him and his father. He was taller and his eyes while they were the same gray color as their fathers, they were shaped differently. His father's nose was also narrower than his.

"I really need to talk to you Mrs. James." Langston was saying.

"Talk? What is there to talk about?" Mavis asked walking away from him towards the elevator.

Langston followed her. "I think you know what. Your mother told me that we have the same father. This is a shock to me. I think we need to talk about this. I have some questions that I am not sure you can answer."

"I don't want you upsetting my grandmother" Val protested as he followed them uninvited onto the elevator. She placed herself between Langston and her grandmother. She wished that he would just leave. She would call security as soon as they reached her grandmother's apartment!

"I don't want to upset anybody, Miss" Langston replied turning for the first time to look at Val. "However-"

He paused and stared at her a moment forgetting what he was about to say as he focused on Val's face. Langston was taken aback as he realized that Val looked a lot like the woman in the picture. He was glad that he decided to bring the pictures and letter with him. Was this Mavis daughter or granddaughter perhaps?

Val looked at him curiously as he stared at her his lips slightly parted. "You were saying?"

"I just want some answers." He replied recovering from his initial surprise. He looked at Mavis pleadingly. "Ms. James don't you want some too or do you already have all the answers?"

Mavis sighed and looked at him as they rode up in the elevator. "No one has all the answers, Mr. Oxford."

"Langston" he insisted as the doors opened and they got off the elevator.

Mavis didn't reply but walked up to her door and inserted the key.

"It's been a month since I saw you at Panera" Langston continued. "I had to find you. I remembered that your daughter said that her name was Emily Matheson Hendricks and so I traced you through her. She wouldn't give me any information on you, but I was able to find you with a little detective work of my own."

Mavis opened the door and turned to him. He really did look like her father, but she knew that he couldn't help that. His eyes were kinder than their fathers. Perhaps that was a trait her inherited from his mother.

"Come in, Langston" she said finally after staring at him several moments.

"Thank you." He replied sounding relieved.

Mavis led him to the sofa and indicated for him to sit down. She turned to Val as she sat down across from him. "You don't have to stay baby."

Val's mouth fell open. She wasn't about to leave her grandmother alone with this man. She stared at him as he sat on the sofa with his hands folded in his lap.

Mavis looked at her and smiled as if reading her mind.

"I'll be fine."

Val looked at Langston and then back at Mavis. "I don't have any plans for a while Grandma. I'm not leaving." Her voice was firm letting Mavis know that she meant business.

"Alright then" Mavis replied reluctantly. "Would you mind making us some tea then?"

Val stared at the two of them a moment in total disbelief. He Grandmother looked at her and nodded towards the kitchen. She couldn't believe that her grandmother was actually going to talk to this man. Val sighed and walked off knowing that Mavis wanted to talk to Langston alone. She didn't want to fight with her, but she was going to keep her eyes on the two of them.

"I'm sorry if I upset you the other day." Langston was saying. "I had no idea..." His voice trailed off as he looked away. He then fumbled as he reached in his jacket pocket and pulled out an envelope.

"After you all left Panera's I went back to my family home and searched through my father's things to see what I could learn. I found these" he said holding the envelope. He opened it and took out three pictures and handed them to her.

He watched her face as she looked at them and he could tell that she recognized the people in them.

"Who are they?" Langston asked.

Mavis got up from her chair and sat on the sofa beside him. She held up the picture of the black woman and the baby. "That's my mother and the baby is me." She held up the second picture of the same woman with a small girl who looked about two. "That's me and my mother" She held up the third picture. "That's me, my mother and Ms. Trudy and her husband Mr. Alvin."

Langston stared at the pictures a moment. "So you really are my sister."

"I guess I am" Mavis replied. "I didn't know about you...I didn't know much about my father. I just hated him for what he did to my mother."

"You mean because he didn't marry her?" Langston asked.

Mavis laughed bitterly. "Marry her? I am a product of rape, Langston. Your father raped my mother when she was fourteen! She was just as child and he took advantage of her! Then he'd come back every other Christmas and she couldn't keep him off of her! He even did it in front of me. I hated his guts."

Langston stared at her in total disbelief. "I...I don't know what to say. "

"There's nothing to say. It's not your fault." Mavis replied.

"I guess I had hoped that he loved her" Langston said. "It doesn't make sense to me. Why did the Mathesons allow it? Why did they let him stay at their home over and over again?"

"I've often wondered the same thing" Mavis replied. "I know Ms. Trudy tried to protect my mother. She'd send us away sometimes when she knew he was coming and she and her father would get in awful fights. He controlled the purse strings and he knew how to exert his power over the household. Mr. Arnold worked for Ms. Trudy's father so Mr. Matheson had complete control."

Langston looked at her curiously. "Her father's name was Matheson too?"

Mavis nodded. "Yes. He only had Ms. Trudy and always wanted a son. Mr. Alvin was a distant cousin of theirs. He played matchmaker with Ms. Trudy and that boy. Mr. Alvin's family was in a lot of debt and Ms. Trudy's father told them that if Mr. Alvin married his daughter, he'd take care of everything. Mr. Alvin's folks were against it because even though they were distant cousins, they were still blood but Ms. Trudy's father wouldn't take no for answer."

"He arranged a marriage with his daughter with her own cousin?" Langston asked shocked.

"That's right." Mavis replied. "Ms. Trudy and Mr. Alvin's great grandfathers were brothers...they weren't close, but that still too close for some folks."

"Ms Trudy's father wanted a grandson bad. But he got Ms. Emily." Mavis said as Val came from the kitchen with the tea and handed each of them a cup. Her grandmother paused and then looked at her. Val knew that she would not continue her conversation with Langston until she left.

"I'm going to call Matheson" Val said walking into her Grandmother's bedroom.

"That's fine, dear. Shut the door" Mavis replied. She waited until she heard the door shut and then turned back to Langston.

"I love Miss Emily like my own daughter" Mavis said sipping her tea. "I raised her. Her mother's deathbed wish was that I do so. Ms. Trudy knew I wanted to leave that house. I was very angry at them for what they allowed to happen to my mother." Mavis sighed and sat the cup down. "I don't know what I thought she and Mr. Alvin could do. Her father ruled that house with an iron fist. Now God don't like ugly but he ain't stuck on beauty either. Ms. Trudy's father wanted a grandson, but he got Miss Emily and Ms. Emily is a little off. We don't know if it's because of the close family connection or if it's because she took so long to take her first breath when she was born."

"Why do you think they allowed my father...our father to come back again and again?" Langston asked reaching into his pocket. "I don't believe Trudy Matheson approved whatever the reason." He handed Mavis the letter from Trudy and she opened it. Langston watched her as she read it and heard her gasp before she slowly closed the letter and handed it back to him.

"I never knew that the money she paid me came from him." Mavis said looking at Langston.

"She knew you wouldn't take it" Langston replied.

They didn't speak for several minutes as Mavis seemed deep in thought. "What do you hope to get out of all this, Langston?" she said finally.

"I don't know." he confessed. "I guess I just want to make sense of it all. Why would my father do such a thing? Why would Mr. Matheson condone his behavior? I guess we'll never have any answers."

He stood up. "I've taken up enough of your time. I'll take my leave."

"There is one other thing." Mavis said slowly. "I could never bring myself to do it...but now may just be the time."

Langston looked at her curiously. "Do what?"

"Read my mother's writings...she used to write and keep a diary. I kept it all, but could never bring myself to read any of it. It was much too painful so I kept all of it in a box."

Langston sat back down. "I don't want you doing anything you don't feel comfortable about"

"No...now is the time. I just know it." She reached out and took Langston's hand. "You're my brother. It's not your fault what your daddy did. We both should know the truth. Have you searched through all of your father's things? Are you sure that there's nothing else?"

"I'm not sure" Langston confessed. "I didn't look through everything. What should I be looking for?"

"I don't know really" Mavis replied standing up. "Wait here"

She knocked on the bedroom door and went in. She came back out with a box and Val was with her. The box was the size of a normal storage box that was used to store documents.

"I've kept this in the closet for years." Mavis said. "It's my mother's writings. I haven't looked at them and I don't want to just yet." She handed him the box. "I want you to look through them. I don't want to read about the trauma she went through with that man...it would be too hard for me. You read it. Maybe you can find some answers."

Langston took the box from her. "I'm not sure what I should be looking for."

"The answers you seek...that's what you're looking for." Mavis said leading him towards the door. "Read though these and look around your father's house and then come back to see me and we'll talk."

Langston nodded. "Very well then." He looked at Val who was watching them. "You look just like her." he said then his gaze returned to Mavis.

"Like who?" Val asked.

Mavis smiled "My mother. You look like my mother."

She opened the door for Langston. He then turned back to Mavis. "I'm sorry about all this."

"There's a time and a season for everything, Langston. I believe it's our time to now confront our past."

He nodded in agreement. "Perhaps you're right."


William Hendricks, Sr. sat back in the chair and read the report he had received. He had a plan. If he couldn't break them up, he could at least stir the pot a bit.

He had set up a meeting with a couple of Matheson's old girlfriends. One looked particularly promising. Iris Andrews was the type of girl that William Sr. approved of for his only grandson. She was a striking beauty with large green eyes. Her long auburn hair and olive complexion enhanced her striking features. What went wrong there?

Iris had been located and the report said that she was still single. Good. He had paid her way to fly to Florida and offered her a free weekend at a top notch hotel. She had quickly taken advantage of his generosity and she should arrive any minute. His plan had to work!

The doorbell rang and he knew it was her. His wife was at dialysis and would be gone for hours so he knew that he'd have no interference from her. His housekeeper Debra knew how to keep her mouth shut because he paid her extra to do so. She hadn't let him down yet.

William Sr looked up as Debra led Iris into the room. She looked around curiously and then smiled at William Sr.

"Good afternoon, Ms. Andrews" William Sr said. "Sit down. I appreciate you taking me up on my offer."

"The pleasure is all mines" Iris said mentally calculating the cost of the expensive items she saw in the room as she sat down across from him.

"I asked you here for one purpose. " William Sr. leaned forward in the chair. "I want to know what happened between you and my grandson. What ended your relationship?"

Iris looked at him surprised. Was this why Matheson's grandfather was being so generous? Why was he concerned now about something that happened over two years ago?

"Matheson worked all the time. He never had time for me" Iris explained.

"I find it hard to believe that he never had time for a beautiful girl like you" William said smiling hoping to get more out of her.

"Well...he was into his work a lot" Iris continued. "We saw each other on occasion...I mean...he worked so much that he never had much energy for me."

William raised an eyebrow. "Meaning?"

Iris sighed. Did she have to spell it out to this old man? What was this really all about? "He was tired all the time. He never had time for me. I'm a grown woman with urges just like anybody else, sir. I mean...we'd go weeks and weeks without...you know...being together and then when I'd finally get with him...well let's just say his efforts left much to be desired."

William studied her a moment. "I see...and did Matheson ever try to correct his...er...problem?"

"I asked him to buy me things and he did...I mean I needed something out of the relationship. I wasn't getting much affection from him...so he bought me things to make up for it."

"I gather though that these "things" were not enough" William responded.

"Let's just say I started getting what I needed elsewhere and then Matheson found out about it." Iris replied looking down at her nails.

William Sr. took out his checkbook and began to write. "I don't think he has that problem anymore" He handed Iris a check and watched as her eyes grew big reading it.

"I want you to look my grandson up. See if something may be still there" William replied smiling.

Iris looked at him confused. "I heard that he's engaged. What's the point?"

"The point is" William replied standing. "Is that I'm not too happy with his choice in a bride. His family wants him to reconsider his decision and just maybe seeing you, he will do that."

"I don't know..." Iris replied putting the check back on the desk. "It doesn't seem right. Matheson is a nice guy...he just didn't have much going on in the bedroom. Either he couldn't get it up or he couldn't keep it up. I mean...I'm happy that he's better now. If he's happy I don't want to mess with that."

William Sr. tried to hide his anger as he smiled at her. He had done his homework and knew that Iris was up to her ears in debt. He immediately went for the jugular.

"Miss Andrews, I've done my research well." he said politely. " You have overextended yourself and can barely make it month to month. The bank that you've worked at for over ten years tends to frown on employees with low credit scores."

Iris jumped up. "I'm making my payments!" How did he know her financial condition? She tried not to panic.

"Barely!"William Sr snapped back. "Your credit is about to go down the toilet!"

"My credit is just fine" she replied trying to sound confident.

William Sr scoffed at her denial. He had her just where he wanted her.

"Yes...but for how long? You have a younger brother you're help putting through college. If you lose your job..." He let his voice trail off and watched as Iris eyes filled with tears.

"Please don't do this Mr. Hendricks." she begged.

"Do what?" William Sr. said trying to sound innocent. "All I want you to do is to look up Matheson. Talk to him. Feel him out. Is that too much to ask? This check will pay your brother's tuition and cover your debt. What I'm asking of you is just a small favor in exchange for becoming debt free, don't you agree?"

Iris stared at the check for a moment. He had cornered her. She looked at him admitting defeat. "Alright I'll do it."

She walked towards the door and then quickly turned around. "However, cancel my weekend here. I want to go home."

"As you wish" William Sr replied smiling triumphantly.


Langston took the box that he had obtained from Mavis back to his condo. He wondered how she could go all those years and not read the contents. He could barely wait to get home to sift through the papers.

He took the box to his bedroom and opened it on the bed. The drive had taken him over two hours because of the traffic. He quickly undressed and checked his watch. It was only eight o'clock but he had a feeling that he would be up for a while. Inside the box were several cloth bound notebooks and some letters wrapped up in a string. He was surprised to see that all the letters came from his father. He flipped through them seeing that they were in date order and took out the oldest one. It was yellow with age. He decided to read the letters first.

February 15, 1947

My Dearest Lilly:

I know that you think that I am a coward and have told me that you do not wish to see me ever again, but I cannot do so. If we were in a different era, perhaps things could be different. Perhaps one day colored people and white people may be able to get married, but that is not so today.

I was disappointed when you returned the money I sent you. I wish you would keep it and use it to help with our child when it is born. I know that you are proud and I respect that.

You said my career as a Senator is more important to me than you and the baby. That's not fair. It's more complicated than that. I have everything to lose. Most likely I would lose custody of my young son. I cannot allow that to happen. Please try to understand my position. Know that in my heart, I do love you and I always will.

Yours, Langston.

Langston stared at the letter totally stunned. Mavis had said that her mother was raped. This letter indicated otherwise to him. His father had been in love with her. He quickly read some of the other letters. There were about ten in all.

August 14, 1955

My Dearest Lilly:

It is a hard thing to look in the face of your child and show no emotion. It's hard to lie with you at night and then remain impassive in the morning as you serve me breakfast. It's hard to know that your child doesn't know you, doesn't love you, and in fact hates you. It's hard.

I know that your life is much harder than mine, so I'll cease my whining for a bit. I made my bed and so I have to lie in it. Emmit Matheson has insisted that I continue to finance his endeavors if I know what's good for me. That means that he'll drop some hints to some reporters and my constituents if I don't do as he asks. He even set up a meeting with me and my radical KKK constituents. I think he likes to remind me of the power he has over me.

The only light in all this mess is the fact that he welcomes me still in his home and I get to see you and Mavis. I've talked to Alvin about my situation and he is very sympathetic even if his wife Trudy isn't. She feels that I have taken advantage of your position. Perhaps she's right. All I know is that I love you.

It was hard for me to leave you in tears and return to Virginia. I spotted Mavis in the corner as I was leaving your bed. I didn't know how long she had been there. She must have sneaked back in your room after you left her with Cissy. How could I explain my actions to an eight year old? I cannot, so I let her be.

I look forward to seeing you over the Christmas holidays. I will be down then.

With all my love,

Langston

Langston sat there stunned. Emmit Matheson was blackmailing his father about his relationship with Lilly. Surely there was something his father could have done! He sat there and remembered the fear in his father's face when he argued with him about the civil rights movement. No wonder he was so against it. How could the elder Langston allow himself to get in such a mess!

Langston opened the last letter in the bundle dated several months before the letter he had read from Trudy Matheson.

April 12, 1959

My Dearest Lilly:

I am truly grieved to hear about our loss. You may not believe me, but I do regret all that I have put you through. You told me that you never turned me away when I came to the Matheson house because you loved me too, yet you cried every time I left your bed. It breaks my heart to realize all you have endured because of me. This past Christmas was a happy time for me. I should have been more careful with you. Only when I'm with you do I feel whole. The fact that you would still accept me in your bed is a bit of a mystery, but being with you makes the burden of my life much more bearable.

I would come to see you, but I am sure Trudy Matheson would have my head on a platter after this latest pregnancy. I will do as you ask and stay away for now. Mavis is growing up to be such a beautiful young lady. It's tragic that I can't claim her as my own and even if I could, I doubt if she'd have me. You were her age when we fell in love and yet I cannot imagine my own daughter being put through what you have endured from me. It may be of little consolation, but there is no other woman for me. I only want you, my dearest Lilly.

Even though you have refused funds in the past, I am ready to provide whatever you may need. All you have to do is ask. I hope that you will be well soon. I understand that you are still recovering and are weak from a lot of blood loss. I will do all I can in the future to protect you from conceiving even if it means abstinence. I think you know that my feelings for you are beyond the physical.

I have decided not to run for reelection. I am tired of the blackmail and the threats. I'm tired of hiding my feelings and trying to field questions from others as to why I never remarried. I'm tired of people telling me that Langston needs a mother. He's 18 now and he doesn't even need me, much less a stepmother. If things had been different, that person would have been you. He's off to college soon. He's so naive to this world, yet he's so optimistic. I feel older than my fifty years. I just wish things could have been different for us. I'm afraid that all this has seriously affected my relationship with my son. My life is full of regrets. My failures are numerous especially when it pertains to you and Mavis.

Regardless of what has happened, I love you and I love my child. I love the one you lost. How I long to lie next to you and hear the steady beat of your heart and I pray for one more visit with you that I may do so, however I feel in my heart that my wish may not come to pass. Nevertheless, know that I will always love you.

Yours,

Langston

Langston put the letters back in the box. he couldn't read anymore right now. What was he going to tell Mavis? His father didn't force her, but still...she was only a child when their relationship started! How would Mavis take the fact that there had been another baby who didn't make it? He wouldn't contact her right away. He needed to get Lilly's perspective on all this. Perhaps something in her writings would reveal her true feelings about his father.

He placed the box by the side of his bed and cut out the light. In the darkness he thought about all he had read and realized that he really didn't know his father at all.

 

Lilly

Chapter 31 Forbidden Love by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Langston discovers the truth about his father.

Forbidden Love

Langston looked down at the childish writing on the first page of Mavis' mother's notebook.

My name is Lilly Jackson. Ima be 14 soon. I git dis nice buk from Mr. Oxfa. He be a kine man not lik Mr. Emit. I hate him. He don let me go to skool. Mr. Emit teez me in front of Mr. Oxfa an say Ise stupid. He say colerd people stupid an can't learn.He say skool a wase of time fo a dum girl like me.  I try not to cry. I hangs my head an leave the rum. Mr. Oxfa foun me by the zebo and tol me not to cry. He wipe my face wid his kerchef. He say I not stupid, he say Mr. Emit stupid but it be our secret. I laff at him. I feel betta afta he say dat. Mr. Oxfa tol me to writ my feelin in dis buk he gave me to help me writ betta. He say he hep me to read and writ betta. He say Mr. Emit wrong bout me. I see his eys up close and they be gray lik a stormy day. Dey look more stormy when he talk bout Mr. Emit. I like dat.

Langston smiled to himself. Lilly was calling him Mr. Oxford so they must not be involved at this point. Maybe the relationship started out as a friendship, but he still couldn't understand why his father who would have been thirty five would get involved with such a young girl.

Decemba 25, 1944

Mr Oxford came to be with us fo de holday. He bot me a gif of a dikshunary and a red writn book. I showed him what I rote befo and he tol me not to hate Mr. Emit but I cant help it. He say date my writn so I kin member so I put date first. He say I do my best an that make Mr. Emit wrong bout me. He say he help me lik I in skool. I lik Mr. Oxford a lot. He taks time an help me lern. He make me reed to him when he not wid Mr. Emit doin bisness.I tell him I go to 3 grade an dat Mr Emit say law say colerd chiren don hav to go skool pas 12. Ms. Trudy say Mr. Oxford is impotant man in Washton and he be nice to help me. She glad cuz she fite wid Mr. Emit all de time bout me not goin skool. Mr. Emit say he pay fo me to wuk not lern.  Ms Trudy be mad all de time wid him cuz she my godyun but he got de mony. Mr. Oxford tell Ms. Trudy he hep me and she glad. Ise made him a scarf fo his Chrismas present.. He like it an say he promise to wear it an think of me.

Langston read a few more entries from Lilly where she talked about Mr. Emit being mean to her and how Trudy Matheson took care of her. Langston wondered how she came to be with the Mathesons in the first place. Where were her parents? He saw a few heart drawings with her initials and his father's in the center of the heart. It was obvious that a school girl crush had developed because his father was spending time with Lilly.

May 26, 1945

I herd Mr. Emit sayn that Mr. Oxford was coming. I don no why my heart beat so fas. I want to call him Langston but Ise afraid Ise gwine get slapped by Mr. Emit ifn he her me. When Langston was here befo I sat nex to him when he help me wit my writn an I cud smell him. He smell nice an I tell him so an he smile. He don't smile much cuz he miss his wife. I don lik to see him sad. He be a wite man an I no I not de one fo him but I can dreem. I almos 15 n lots of colered girls git marrd at 15. Langston he real smart an he don talk down to me. He talk to me lik a real persen. I'd run way iffen it wasnt for Langston an Miss Trudy. She be only few years oller than me but she good to me since Mama died. I luv Miss Trudy an Mr. Alvin nice too. Don't no why Mr. Emit so mean an crazy. Maybe he need nother wife but no one mus want him.

June 12, 1945

Langston is here. I try not to be too happy roun Mr. Emit cuz heed teez me in front of Langston to make me feel bad agin. I serv dem lunch in de big office. Dey was in the big office all day meetn and Langston he be tied when he cum out. I fix him suppa an take it to his room. I sit on de bed nex to him n my heart beat fast. I show him my buk. He saw de hart I dru wid us in it. He say he an ol man an ise shud fine a colerd boy to like. I tell him ya cant tell ya hart who to luv an he smile. I lik his smile. He say he too ol fo me. I say he jus rite fo me. He turn red an look way but I no he pleased. I ask iffn he gots a woman an he say no. Ise happy bout that.

June 15, 1945

Langston in meetn all day wid Mr. Emit. He not in his room when I take him his suppa so I go lookn fo him. I fine him in the zebo. His eys red cuz he ben cryn an ise askn him what wrung and he say its his dead wife bifday I no he miss her.. I don't lik to see him cryin so I kiss him. He push me way an I kiss him agin an tell him I luv him. He kiss me bak then he push me away and leave me at the zebo an go to his rum. He cryn fo his wife but her dead. Ise alive. I no he like me too but he got a storm inside him. I kin wait fo him to sort it out.

Langston was somewhat surprised to read that Lilly had chased after his father…not that he condoned his father's behavior, but still….it wasn't as bad as Mavis thought. His father was grieving over his mother. In 1945 he was just a toddler himself. Most likely his father had left him with a nanny. His mother died shortly after he was born. At least he knew that he did love his mother and that gave Langston some comfort. He continued to read.

June 18, 1945

Langston been voiding me. I fine him agin at the zebo an it be afta 9. He say he shudna kiss me bak de otha nite. He say Ise still a chile even tho I ack an look like a woman. I say Ise a woman not a chile. I say I brave nuf to luv him issn he brave nuf to luv me? He don say nuttn an den he smile. I lik his smile. He tole me to keep writn and learnin and he say I not dum lik Mr. Emit say. He say I reel smart and reel pretty. He want me to read dictionary more so I kin spell better. He say I hav butiful skin lik choklate. I lik that. His gray eys git stormy agin and I no he want me too. I kiss him again an he don't push me back this time. He hol me tite and I tase his tong and he tase mine. I git all hot lik I'm on fire. Langston he git hot too. I neva been wid a man befo an tol him so. He tol me I shud wait fo someone spesha. I say he spesha. I want him. I no bout man and woman. I see he want me. He tried to hide it wid his han, but I see. My buzum is full an roun and I see him lookn at me when he think I don't see. He be goin back to his home day afta morro. Iffin I cant go back wid him, den I want him wile he be here.

Langston found himself engrossed in Lilly's writings. He could see an improvement in her handwriting from when she first started. Apparently his father had been helping her whenever he came to the Matheson home. It was obvious to Langston that the two of them were attracted to one another and it seemed that Lilly was determined to get her man.

June 20, 1945

Langston didn't leave today lik he said cuz Mr. Emit tole him to stay one mo nite. Ise glad. Fo the first time Mr. Emit make me happy. I wait at the zebo fo Langston an he come after it is dark. He sez Mr. Emit go drive him to the train stashun. I tol him I gone miss him something ferce. He smile and say he gone miss me too. I go to my rum an I think of him cuz he push me back at the zebo agin when I kiss him. I feel him agin me when we kiss. I git brave and tuch him dere an he jump. He say no to me but I kin tell he mean yes. I no Ise yunger but I no he de one fo me. He say I need be sure an I say I sure. I go to his rum an he be sitn on the bed. I sit nex to him an I say I reddy. He say he 30 an too ol fo me.  I say I love no one but him. I say I no da man shud do the chasen but he be leavn in da mornin. I undress and he watch. He don stop me. His eys like gray fire. He kiss me all ova. I didn no peple kiss like dat. He say he not feel lik this since befo his wife died. I neva felt like dis befo. I feel his hart beatn wid mine when he join wid me. He maken happy moans dat make me burn all ova. Ise happy I kin make him happy.

December 21, 1945

Langston came today. I am so happy. I haven't seen him since the summer. I been studying the dictionary real hard so he can be proud of me. He say he is proud of me. I been writing too and he say it much better. He say I make him proud.

He ask if I fin nother man an I say he my man. He say he feel gilty cuz I so much yunger.  I say no need to be gilty cuz I love him.

I told him that I think about that night we first be together before I go to sleep each night. I tell him that I dream of him being beside me in bed and him being in side me. When he inside me I say we be one like man and wife. I say I like his moan when he make luv to me. His face turn red. I laugh and kiss him when we be by ourself. Cissy scold me about Langston saying it not proper to be with a white man. She say he have white woman in Va to try to upset me. I say I don't care even though I do. Langston say he not want no one else and I believe him. I go to him at nite. I say I love him and he say he love me too. His hair is dark brown on his head and on his body. His skin is real pale ginst mine that is so dark. He say we butiful together. I think he right.

Langston closed the book and rubbed his eyes. Well according to her writings she was fifteen by the time they slept together. Still that was too young and a thirty five year old man should have known better.

He sighed and wondered how Mavis was going to take all of this when he returned to Baltimore.


Iris took a deep breath as she parked outside of the bakery. She walked in and saw Matheson behind the counter. It was five minutes before closing and the store was virtually empty just like she hoped.

"Hello Matheson" she said.

Matheson looked up and for a moment she could tell that her face didn't register in his memory. He then recognized her and broke out into a smile.

"Iris! How have you been?" He came around the counter giving her a quick hug.

"I'm fine" she said returning his smile.

"What brings you here?" Matheson asked releasing her.

"I came to see you." Iris replied.

"Really?" Matheson responded watching her curiously. "What about?"

"About us" she said reaching up to him and putting her arms around his neck. She pressed her body against his.

Matheson backed up and reached up and removed her arms from around his neck.

"Hold on a minute, Iris. You might not know this, but I'm engaged." He backed up from her and walked back around the counter and began wiping it off with a rag.

Iris smiled back at him. "Oh really"

"Yeah" Matheson replied. "Besides, what ever happened to Jerry or Terry or whatever his name was that you cheated on me with?"

Iris sat down and Matheson suddenly wished that she would just leave.

"I only went to him because you were neglecting me as I recall." she said examining her nails.

Matheson came from around the counter and took off his apron and chef's hat. "Relationships are built on more than sex, Iris. I admit that I let you down, but why not talk about it? Why would you just run off and screw someone else?"

"I admit I was stupid" Iris confessed "But that's water under the bridge now."

Matheson shook his head. "I'm in love with someone else. I'm sorry Iris. I've moved on and so should you."

"Does she have a low sex drive or something?" Iris said "Or was it me? You were no longer attracted to me, right?"

Matheson sighed. "That wasn't it. I admit our relationship failure was a lot of my fault. I thought we parted as friends. Let's just keep it that way."

"Oh well, I tried" Iris said standing. "I kept my end of the bargain, so I'll go."

She headed for the door and Matheson quickly reached over her and slammed it shut preventing her exit. "What do you mean by that?" he snapped. "What bargain?"

"Your grandfather paid me to come back here and try to seduce you and you know what? I'm glad I failed" Iris replied laughing. She looked at Matheson. "Look, he thinks you picked the wrong girl and that I'm the right girl. Well I was flattered by his remark, but my heart wasn't in it. He paid off my debt and helped me with Doug's tuition. So doing this was a small price to pay. "

Matheson was shocked. "You've got to be kidding! My grandfather paid you to come here and try to seduce me!"

"Yes and since I've already cashed his check, I don't mind telling you. I think he's crazy myself." Iris pulled on her skirt straightening it and put her bag on her shoulder.

Matheson was furious at his grandfather's antics. How could he do such a thing? He looked at Iris. He really couldn't be mad at her. Who wouldn't have done what she did to get out of debt? He had to think about what he was going to do to his grandfather.

"How much did he pay you for this little charade?" Matheson asked.

"Twenty five thousand dollars" Iris replied grinning.

"Well I'm going to give you another twenty five thousand to go back to him and tell him that I told you that I had already eloped with Val because she's pregnant with twins. Tell him I'm keeping the news from my family until an appropriate time. Let's see how he likes them apples!"

Iris began to laugh. "You're just as crazy as he is!"

"You got that right" Matheson snapped holding the door open for her.


Langston continued to read Lilly's writings over the next few weeks between his sessions in the Senate. He half expected Mavis to try to contact him, but she never did. he knew that she was waiting for him to contact her. He read and reread the letters and then traveled back to his father's house in search of more information. There had to be more. He did discover a note that he'd overlooked earlier regarding the money in the envelope. It seems it was the money that Lilly had returned to him for Mavis. He would take it to Mavis when he returned to Baltimore. He picked up the journal and began to read again.

Janaury 15, 1947

I cried a lot last night. I miss Langston so much. He stayed a whole month here between Thanksgiving and Christmas. He told me that Mr. Emit knows about us. He saw us kiss at the zebo. I was scared but Langston say it be alright.

I tole him that I am sure that I gone to have his baby. I tole him I want to come to Va wid him and be wid him at his home. He say he cant do that. I tole him what Cissy keep sayn that he have a woman there. He say he has only his son. He say he luv me but I can't come. I don't understand. I tell him I won't say nuthin, but he say no. He want me to understand but I dont want to understand.

Ms. Trudy is really mad bout all this. She say Langston take vantage of me. I say we in luv and she roll her eyes. She call Langston on the telafone and yell at him afta he went back home. Mr. Emit tell her to leave him lone cuz it was all my fault. He say Langston say it my fault too but I no he lie. I aways no when Mr. Emit lie.

Ms. Trudy is upset cuz she los her baby and now Ise gone to have one. I try to be nice to her and Mr. Alvin. Sometimes dey seem so sad. Mr. Emit keep sayn he want a granson. Mr. Alvin aint god. He can only try to give Ms. Trudy a baby. Mr. Alvin go way a lot to work. I think him want to git way from Mr. Emit. I here him say to Miss Trudy dat he wan to take her away.

July 17, 1947

Langston is here and I be hidin from him. Ise so big I dont want him to see me lik dis, but he hunt be out and fines me in the barn. He ask me why I void him. I hang my head and he raise it up. He say I beutiful. He say he love me. I smile. He lay beside me at nite and the baby kick hard. He kiss my belly. I wish we culd get marrd by he say it not be legal. I tole him to leave me lone in my letter to him cuz he wont let me come and be wid him an little Langston but when I see him, I cant say it. I still want to be wid him. I cry when he leave my bed cuz I no he not really mines. least Ise has my baby. Dats my piece of Langston dat wont neva leave me. He say lotsa folks don like race mixin an he dont want me to git hurt. I no Mr. Emit is being mean to him cuz I see he git upset when dey cum out to big office. I hear yellin an Mr. Emit callin him a niggalova. I hear him tell Langston he betta do what he say or else. I scared for Langston. Mr. Emit he be crazy as a loon.

August 28, 1947

I name the baby Mavis cuz my mama name Mable and Langston mama name Victoria. I get them together and make Mavis. Langston laugh at that. The baby look white she so light. Her skin like her daddys with lots of brown hair like her daddy got. Ms. Trudy came by my room and say Mavis a pretty baby. She is nice to Langston for once. He not with me when she come to my room but she no Langston the father. Everybody no and some give me mean looks but I don't care. I let Ms. Trudy keep Mavis when I work roun de house. Mr. Emit fuss but Miss Trudy stans up to him an he be quite fo once. I like see Miss Trudy happy. Miss Trudy luvs Mavis. I like dat. I tol her not to be mad wid Langston cuz I want him just like she want Mr. Alvin. She say that diffrent cuz dey marred. I say Ise marred too in my hart and she smile. I like to see Ms. Trudy smile. She say Langston shud stand up an be a reel man an not let Mr. Emit push him round. I say Mr. Emit push everbody roun an he push Mr. Alvin roun too. She don't say nuthin but I see she don't like my words. She say Mr. Emit tell Langston what to do how to vote in Washton and dat not rite. I say Langston do it fo me and Mavis. I luv Miss Trudy but I don't like her talkn bout Langston in a bad way an tell her so.

There was a break in the writing after that entry. Langston surmised that Lilly must have been too preoccupied with her work and taking care of a new baby to do much writing. He was about to continue reading but decided to remove everything from the box again. There were six journals as well as the letters. He could determine the order by the dates that she had written on the first page of each one.

There was a picture of his father in the back of the first journal. He recognized it as he had a copy of the same shot at home. His father must have given it to Lilly. There was also another picture taken with an old brownie camera of his father and Mavis and it looked like they were in a field. Mavis appeared to be only a few months old. He was shocked to see a picture of his father with his arm around Lilly and she was smiling up at him holding Mavis. Langston wondered who could have taken that one. It must have been someone that Lilly could trust. Perhaps it was her beloved Ms. Trudy.

Langston sighed to himself. His father spent very little time with him when he was young. Most of the time he was in Washington until he gave up his Senate seat by not running for reelection. Now he understood why. They did do some things together after re retired. He took young Langston to ball games and he took him fishing from time to time, however he always appeared distant to young Langston, almost preoccupied. Now he knew why. Between hiding his relationship and dealing with the blackmail, he most likely couldn't concentrate on much else.

The Oxford family was well off and Langston never wanted for anything...that is except for the affection of his father that he craved. Maybe if he had brought Lilly to Virginia under to cover of being his servant, his father would have had a happier life and he would have been a happier son and had better memories of his father.

What would Mavis think about all this? He wasn't sure when he would be going back to Baltimore since he had to be in Washington. Perhaps he would go and see Mavis after he finished reading everything. He had only gone through the first of Lilly's journals and there was more reading to do. He knew that he had to talk to Rowena and tell her about the aunt that she never knew and all he had discovered about his father's secret life.

 

Langton Oxford II

Chapter 32 Piecing Things Together by Brenda1257

Piecing Things Together

Mavis sat in her living room with her brother Langston sitting next to her. She had been waiting to hear from him and had tried to be patient and not bother him and now he had finally come back to her.

He was now sitting next to her in an expensive navy blue suit. He was a bit nervous, she could tell. He looked at his watch and she saw the silver cufflinks he wore with his initials on them and his white French cuffs. He had expensive taste, she could tell. Well, he could afford it! She couldn't get over how much he resembled his father…her father...the same gray eyes only his wasn't as serious or sad.

He was her older brother. It was hard to believe, yet it was true. He was watching her like her father used to watch her when he came to the Matheson home and it made her stomach jump with the memory.

"Mavis I haven't read everything yet" he was saying as he ran his fingers over her mother's journal. "But I have read enough to come back and talk to you and clear up a few misconceptions."

Mavis watched as he then ran his hand through his snow white hair. She now knew that he did this when he was nervous. He then surprised her by taking her hand in his and she looked at him curiously. She could see that he was struggling for words and smiled back at him for encouragement.

"Alright, Langston. Go ahead" she heard herself saying.

He looked down at her hand in his as he talked. "My father and your mother were in love. She said so in her writings. He didn't rape her."

Mavis snatched her hand away from his. "I don't believe you! He raped her! I know he did!"

"How do you know that?" Langston persisted. "Who told you? Did your mother say so?"

Mavis looked away. "No. It was Miss Trudy. I overheard her saying that to Mr. Alvin when I was small. She was mad and I only heard a little bit, but I heard that!"

Langston reached out and took her hands again. "Mavis, I think she was talking about statutory rape. Your mother was fifteen and my father was thirty five when they became involved. It was consensual. I know that Miss Trudy didn't like it and felt that he took advantage of your mother, but it wasn't rape. Did you ever talk to your mother about our father?"

"How could I? Every time he was around, he was all over her every chance he got. My mother didn't talk about him to me...and I was too afraid to ask her about him."

Langston opened the first book he bought back with him and began to read Lilly's writings to Mavis. She sat there silently and listened as he read. Langston read all the way to the entry when Mavis was born and then closed the book. He looked at Mavis who had tears running down her face. She looked at him, her expression sad.

"She loved him?" she asked with a mixture of total disbelief awe.

"Yes, Mavis…and he loved her. That much is obvious to me." He put his arm around her. "I don't condone what my father did but it did make me feel better to know that he wasn't such a brute. He loved her...and he loved you too."

He reached in his jacket and brought out an old yellowed envelope and handed it to her.

"What's this?" she asked wiping her eyes.

"This is the money that my father sent to your mother that she sent back. The money was for you. You should have it. The bills are old though and may be worth more than their face value."

Mavis stared at the envelope a moment. "I don't know if I want this. My mother refused to take it from him."

"I can't keep it. It's yours" Langston persisted. "If you don't want it, give it to your daughter that resembles your mother."

Mavis laughed. "My daughter's dead. If you're talking about VaLysia she's my granddaughter."

"She looks just like your mother" Langston replied.

"I know. I get comfort in that" Mavis replied putting the envelope on the table.

"I hardly ever saw my father" Langston said staring at his hands "He was always in Washington and then he was with the Matheson's at Christmas. He bought me things and I know he cared for me, but his mind was always preoccupied. I know now that he was thinking of you and your mother." He rubbed his eyes and pinched his nose not looking at her. "I always thought something was wrong with me…that he didn't love me…that he blamed me for my mother's death…." His voice trailed off as he tried to remain composed, the pain in his voice was obvious.

He handed her the two pictures that were in the book. Mavis gasped as she saw the picture of him and her mother with a baby in his arms that she knew was her.

"Who took this?" she gasped.

"I don't know" Langston replied. "Perhaps it was Miss Trudy."

"Probably…" Mavis replied still staring at the picture. She looked up and saw him wiping his eyes. It was at that moment that she then realized that he was affected by all of this just as much as she was.

"Langston, I'm sure your father loved you…I think he just got in way over his head. Mr. Emitt Matheson was a mean man. I'll never forget him. Miss Emily has a lot of her grandfather's ways, but she's just the opposite of him in temperament. I'm not surprised that Mr. Emit blackmailed our father. He liked having a hold on people. Miss Emily is not like that."

"You mean your adopted daughter?" Langston asked.

Mavis smiled. "She calls me her Mama, but I never adopted her. I raised her though after Miss Trudy died. Mr. Alvin was away a lot and Mr. Emitt was there too. Then Mr. Alvin got killed in a car crash and there was just Mr. Emitt. He died when Miss Emily was twelve, I think and I've been her mother ever since."

"It appears that Emitt Matheson was blackmailing our father. Most likely it was about his relationship with your mother."

Mavis nodded. "I realize that now"

"How did your mother end up in that household, anyway" Langston asked. "She was thirteen when she started writing. Where were her parents?"

"She was an orphan" Mavis replied. "Miss Isabelle, that's Ms. Trudy's mama took her in after her mother died. Her mama used to do washing for Ms. Isabelle and Mr. Emitt. She stayed in a small shack on their property. My mama said that one day she couldn't wake her up. She didn't know that she was dead. I think she was about ten when that happened."

"What do you remember about our father?" Langston asked quietly.

Mavis was quiet a moment. "I just remember that he was always touching my mama and I didn't like it. She never complained and I thought it was because she had no choice in the matter. Now it seems that it was their way...lover's way of communicating. Mama used to send me to Cissy's room when he would visit and I'd sneak back because I thought he was hurting her. She was always crying after he left."

Langston looked at her. "Did you ever talk to her about it?"

"I tried" Mavis said softly. "She just said that it was grown folks business and I couldn't be concerned. I remember telling her that if he touched her again I would get a knife and stab him in the heart and she slapped me. She said 'No matter what you think, he's still your father and you need to show some respect.' "

"Did he try...you know to talk to you...have a relationship with you?"

"I was afraid of him" Mavis replied. "He'd watch me a lot and not say anything. I didn't understand that...he always looked sad..or mad. I was never sure. I thought it was me...but I guess it could have been that he was upset about his situation. He never tried to talk to me. I guess he thought it best to leave it be. I remember Mama told me that I couldn't call him daddy. I had to call him Mr. Oxford especially when visitors were around. I guess I drew my own conclusions."

Langston sighed and stood up and looked at her. "So now where do we go from here?"

Mavis looked at him a moment and paused and then smiled as if an idea entered her head. "I know...we head to the old Matheson home place in Frederick, Maryland."


Val waited expectantly for Matheson at her apartment. He had promised to take her to the new seafood calabash restaurant that had opened.

She stood in front of the mirror in her bedroom and stared at her reflection. She ran her hands over the brass colored silky dress she wore and wondered if Matheson would like it. She didn't wear brown often, but she liked this dress. It complimented her figure and she ran her hands over it as she looked at her reflection.

She heard a knock at her door and hurried down the stairs. She was surprised when she opened the door and saw her grandmother standing there.

"Nana!" she said shocked.

"Valysia" Edith Chamberlayne responded coolly. "Aren't you going to invite me in?"

Val looked over her shoulder and saw Tameka sitting in the car. She backed up and allowed her grandmother to come in.

"What's this all about, Nana?"

Her grandmother looked around the apartment not trying to hide her distain.

"I came over here to try to talk some sense into you." her Grandmother said sitting on the edge of a nearby chair.

Val stared at her a moment. Her grandmother's hair was pulled back in her trademark braid that reached the middle of her back. She was dressed in a black suit with a white blouse.

"I don't know what you mean." Val said walking over to her.

"That man...the one that you brought to my home-"

"You mean the one that Tameka has been stalking and we came to your home because you demanded that we come!" Val snapped interrupting her.

"Whatever!" her Grandmother snapped back. "All I know is that he's an arrogant bastard! You're talking about marrying this white piece of trash. Who cares if he has a little money! He's still trash!"

Val bristled. "He's my man, Nana. I love him. You will respect him!"

"He doesn't deserve my respect!" she replied. She stood and faced Val. "I've done a little background check on your precious Matheson Hendricks. He's nothing more than a closet redneck! I have done my homework! His whole family are a bunch of racist pigs!"

Val crossed her arms across her chest. "I'm not listening to this crap!"

"You watch your mouth, young lady!" Edith replied.

"You don't care about me!" Val replied as the tears began to flow. "You've never cared about me! All you cared about was my father and you never could accept the fact that he loved my mother. That's what this is really all about! Now I'm about to get married to a wonderful man and you can't be happy for me. Well that's just fine...just get out of my house and get out of my life!"

Edith brought her face closer to Val's. "I'm still your grandmother, Missy. You can't change that!"

"I wish I could" Val replied truthfully wiping her eyes.

"He doesn't really love you" Edith hissed. "He has another agenda and you're too blind to see it. I'm just trying to warn you-"

"You're miserable and you're trying to make me miserable! Get out, Nana. Get out now!"

She opened the door and was surprised to see Matheson.

"I could hear the yelling all the way to the street. What's going on?" he asked. He walked in and saw Edith.

"What's she doing here?" he asked surprised.

"She came over here to warn me that your family is racist" Val replied.

Edith pointed her finger at Matheson. "You don't fool me one bit, buster!"

"Well that's good to know" Matheson said laughing.

"You think you're pretty clever." Edith continued.

"Am I?" Matheson asked sounding amused.

"Yes, you'll parade my granddaughter around to try to show that you love our people. It's all a business ploy to increase sales with your company! "

"You mean that I'm only marrying Val as a promotional ploy to get increased African American sales at Hannah's?"

"Exactly!" Edith snapped. "Your own grandfather admitted as much to me!"

"What?" Matheson replied clearly surprised. "What has he got to do with this?"

"He paid me a little visit and opened my eyes!" Edith hissed. "I knew you were up to no good when I first saw you!"

Matheson rolled his eyes. "If for a moment I thought you were concerned about your granddaughter, I'd try to convince you of my love for her. You could care less about Val."

Val walked over and opened the door. "Please leave, Nana."

Edith ignored her and looked at Matheson. "Your own family won't accept her-"

"I will deal with my grandfather in my own way" Matheson replied. "However read my lips Mrs. Chamberlayne!" he hissed his voice deadly serious. "I am going to marry her and I don't give a damn if you don't like it, my grandfather don't like it or if the whole damn world doesn't like it. Now get that through that thick head of yours!"

"Hmph!" Edith replied walking towards the door. "I came here because I was concerned after your grandfather came to see me! It's obvious that he doesn't approve of this union and neither do I! Both of you need to wake up!"

"I will handle my grandfather!" Matheson snapped "As I said, nothing is going to stop me from marrying Val. I love her and she's the one for me so the two of you had better just get over yourselves!"

Edith looked at Val. "Don't say I didn't warn you. You don't realize what you're getting yourself into."

Val opened the door wider for her grandmother to exit. "If I thought you really cared for me, Nana I'd give your words some consideration. But all you ever did was hurt me and put me down. I can't listen to anything you tell me."

Edith looked back at Matheson and then at Val. "We'll see."

Val slammed the door after she left and stared at it a moment trying to get herself together. She stood that way for several minutes until she felt Matheson's arms going around her waist and he put his chin on her shoulder. He then kissed her on the cheek.

"I love you" she heard him whisper in her ear. She broke her glare at the door and turned to him. His face was full of love and concern. Why couldn't their families just accept them? Why couldn't they see that they were in love? No matter what they said, she knew that she loved Matheson and that he loved her.

"Love you too, Pancake" she said and giggled when she saw his puzzled expression.

"Pancake? Where did that come from?"

"I think of pancakes when I see you all covered with flour. I think it's soooo sexy!" she whispered.

"Oh really? Shall I get some syrup and pour it all over myself for you to lick off?" he asked pulling her closer.

"Ooooh I think I'd like that" she said kissing him.

"Good. That'll give you something else to think about besides our crazy relatives!" he replied.


It was several days before Mavis called her brother back and instructed him to meet her and Emily in Frederick, MD. She gave him the address to the home and Emily came and picked her up to meet him there.

"Isn't it exciting to go back to the home place, Mavis" Emily asked clapping her hands together as they got in the car.

"I don't know" Mavis was saying slowly as she looked out the window.

Emily watched her a moment and didn't reply. All this seemed so strange. Mavis had a brother...a Senator no less! She hadn't been to her home in a while. She had people keeping it up and she'd used to go up once or twice a year to check on things. She had many offers to see the place, but she never could bring herself to do so. Several attempts had been made to try to wrangle the property from her, but none had succeeded. It was Matheson's inheritance and if he wanted to sell the place that was up to him.

Mavis watched as they turned off the road onto the property. You couldn't see the house for the road because of the trees. After about a quarter of a mile the trees ended and there were the fields where they used to grow their own vegetables and the house sat back beyond the fields. It still looked the same to her, but didn't seem quite as large as it used to. It was a huge white frame Victorian home with black shutters. Five steps led up to the wrap around porch on both sides and it was three stories.

The house had a lot of rooms and Mavis remembered cleaning them all. The foyer was huge followed by the front room where guests were received. Then there was the family room and across from that, the library and then the large office where Emily's father would conduct business. Next there was the kitchen and the dining room. A large storage room was behind that as well as a small bathroom that was added when she was small. Actually it had been a servant's bedroom that they later converted to a bath. There was the "round room" as Miss Emily would call it which was a sun room or breakfast nook that she would eat in and look out the window. Upstairs there were six bedrooms and two bathrooms, one off from the master bedroom. Since Emily had loved the "round room" the bedroom above it which also had three bay windows like the round room she ate her breakfast had been her bedroom.

The third floor was used for storage as well as two additional bedrooms that the servants occupied. This was where she and her mother had stayed when she was younger. There were always a lot of guests in the house. Mr. Emitt always had something going on or someone visiting including her father.

They got out the car and Mavis stared up at the house as they walked up the steps.

"Are you alright, Mavis" Emily asked looking worried. She put her arms around Mavis.

"I'm fine" Mavis replied. "Just thinking...that's all."

"We did have some good times here, didn't we?" Emily asked watching her. "I mean...I know my grandfather wasn't the easiest person to get along with, but Mama and Papa were good to you, right?"

Mavis patted her hand. "I loved your Mama. She was the sweetest thing...just like you."

Emily smiled. "People used to say I was just like my Grandfather."

"You got some of his ways, that's for sure!" Mavis replied laughing. "But only the good parts."

Emily took out her keys and opened the door and quickly pressed the code in for the alarm that had been installed. It was as if she was a child all over again. Nothing much had changed. She hadn't changed any of the furniture. She had updated the plumbing and put on a new roof. She had installed an alarm system, but everything else was the same as it always had been.

They walked into the library and Mavis looked at the pictures on the wall. So many memories. Mr. Emitt stared back at her from a large portrait and she quickly looked away. She walked over and picked up a picture of Trudy Matheson. It was her wedding picture and she smiled back at Mavis. Everything was covered with dust and resisted an urge to start cleaning.

"It's a mess in here" Emily was saying. "I should have had some people come and clean the place up before we arrived."

"That's alright" Mavis replied setting the picture back down.

"What are we looking for?" Emily asked curiously. "There's lots of papers and stuff in the library. I never cleaned out Papa's things. I just wish that I could remember more about my daddy. He died when I was so young!"

"He traveled a lot and he got killed in a train wreck" Mavis replied. "Your mother had only been dead a year when it happened."

Emily stared at the wedding picture. It was black and white but appeared to have been "colored in" like a lot of the old photos. "It seems everyone in the family was a redhead including my father."

Mavis didn't reply. She didn't know if Emily realized that her father and mother were distant cousins in a marriage arranged by her grandfather.

Just then they heard a car door shut and Emily ran to the front of the house. "It's your brother" she said clapping her hands together.

Mavis stood in the doorway as Langston walked through the foyer. He was dressed in a simple polo shirt and navy blue slacks. She stared at him looking so much like his father. Her father...their father. She stared at him unable to take her eyes away and unable to hold back the tears.

"Mavis!" Emily gasped clearly alarmed. She ran over to her leaving Langston standing helplessly in the foyer.

"I'm alright." Mavis sniffed.

"Have I upset you?" Langston asked walking over to her. "We can do this some other time."

"No, I'm fine" Mavis said looking at him. "It's just all the memories...and then you walked in..." she let her voice trail off.

"And I look just like him, right?" Langston finished for her.

"Yeah" was all she could say.

"I know this was a bad idea" Emily snapped. "We should just leave!"

"No!" Mavis snapped back. "I wanted to come here. It was all my idea. We need to find out the truth!"

Emily sighed. "Where do you want to start?"

Mavis looked at Langston and didn't reply.

"I guess we could look at anything your grandfather may have kept concerning my father." he replied. "I just wonder why my father got mixed up with him for in the first place. I'm in the midst of reading all of Lilly's writings. I can't find much from my father. Did your mother keep a diary? Could there be something there?"

Emily thought for a moment. "I don't know...I'd have to check the rooms. A lot of stuff is still here. I haven't gotten rid of much of anything. I just don't know where to begin."

"I remember Ms. Trudy did read a lot and she did some writing but I don't know if she kept a diary" Mavis responded. She turned to Langston. "Why don't you search the big office and Emily and I will go up to her parent's bedroom."

"You sure you can navigate those stairs?" Emily asked worried.

Mavis rolled her eyes. "I used to take them two at a time so I know I can still make it up there!" Mavis remarked laughing "Though I doubt if it'll be two at a time."

Emily watched protectively as Mavis walked up the stairs. They stopped on the landing a moment for her to catch her breath and then continued on. She didn't remember her mother at all and Emily depended on Mavis to fill in the blanks.

"Do I look like her at all?" she asked Mavis as they stood outside of the bedroom door.

Mavis had heard this question many times before, but it had been a while since Emily had asked her that question.

"You do" she replied. Emily pushed open the door and they walked in. The room still looked the same. The large mahogany poster bed took up a good portion of the room. Emily walked over to it and sat down. "It's dusty in here" she remarked.

"Well what did you expect?" Mavis asked laughing and sat down beside her.

They began to search the room and the found several old pictures of Trudy when she was young. There were pictures of her mother and father early in their marriage and Mavis watched as Emily stared down at them. She looked up at Mavis. "You're all I've got left of them." she said sadly.

"Nonsense!" Mavis shot back. "You have Matheson. He's a part of them too you know."

Emily broke out in a grin. "I hadn't thought of that. Although Matheson looks just like his father's people. He doesn't look like my family!"

"He has their ways" Mavis replied. "That's even better. His eyes remind me of your Mama's. They are large like hers."

Emily smiled and patted Mavis' hand. "Thanks for saying that."

"It's the truth!" Mavis replied. "Now come on let's look through some of this stuff."

 

Emitt MathesonAlvin Matheson (Emily's father)

Emily's Grandfather                               Emily's FatherTrudy Matheson

Trudy Matheson (Emily's mother)

Chapter 33 Hidden Agenda by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson pays his grandfather a surprise visit.

Hidden Agenda

Langston didn't know what he expected to find in the office that once belonged to Emitt Matheson. After searching for over an hour he didn't find much of anything. He had hoped to locate something that would explain his father's behavior and the hold Matheson had on him, but all he found were a lot of old bills and receipts. Whatever he had that he used to keep his father in his grasp must be stored away somewhere. Since he didn't know the layout of the house, he didn't have a clue where it might be stashed.

He walked out of the office and looked around the rest of the house. He just imagined his father wandering though the house stealing some time with Lilly out of the sight of the Mathesons. He wished that his father had been brave enough to take a stand, but he knew in his heart that he would have suffered because of it and he understood why his father chose to keep it concealed.

Langston could hear Mavis and Emily upstairs moving around and he wondered if they found anything at all. He went back into the office and looked around the room. Where would someone hide something that they didn't want anyone else to know about? The office was large and he had searched the desk thoroughly. That would be an obvious place to look. He looked around. There were two chairs in front of the desk where he surmised that his father must have sat in on most occasions. The room was large and there wasn't much else in the room.

The walls were lined with bookshelves and he knew that it would take quite a while to look through all of those. There was an old stuffed rocker in the corner of the room opposite the desk. Why would anyone want a rocker in an office? It looked somewhat out of place.

Langston walked over to it and sat down. He rocked back and forth for a moment, surprised that it still worked and was quite comfortable. Still, he couldn't imagine anyone sitting in here rocking staring at Emitt Matheson and considering that to be a relaxing moment. Maybe Emily's mother sat there while he conducted business, but Langston couldn't imagine Emitt Matheson having warm and cozy moments with his daughter while he was conducting business.

He got up and turned the chair over. The bottom revealed wire and straw for the support. He then noticed that the cloth on the back of the chair was unraveling and someone had done a bad sewing job to fix it. He ran his hand across it and heard a slight crinkle like paper. He then gently pulled it back and could see that something had been stuffed in the back of the chair.

The paper was yellow with age and was neatly handwritten. He quickly realized that it was notes someone had taken...an agenda of sorts. It was dated July 1947 and had notes about President Truman's plan to abolish segregation in the military. It further stated that the Klan was meeting to discuss ways to hinder the plan. It was then followed by a note to talk to Langston.

Did Emitt Matheson try to use his father's vote to try to stop what the President was doing? He poked around the chair some more but didn't find anything further. He quickly folded the paper and put it in his jacket pocket.

                                           ((***))

Emily fell back on her mother's bed while Mavis sat next to her going through a box she had found in the closet.

"Aren't you tired yet?" she asked looking over at Mavis.

"I'm fine. I'm sitting." Mavis replied laughing. "You were the one climbing up into that closet and going up under the bed on your hands and knees."

"Look at me! I'm a mess!" Emily snapped. Mavis looked at her and smiled. She was dirty from crawling under the bed.

"You can take a shower if you want." Mavis replied. "There's still plenty of your things here."

"No thank you! I'll be fine til I get home" Emily replied sitting up. "What's in there anyway?"

Mavis sifted through the papers. "Well I found your birth certificate" she said grinning and placed it on the bed. She then pulled out a small pink diary.

"Look what I found" She turned it over in her hand. It was leather with a gold lock and not much bigger than her hand.

She handed it to Emily. "Is it yours?"

Emily shook her head. "I could never stay still long enough to do much writing."

She noticed that it was locked and wondered if she could open it without damaging it. "I can't open it" she said flipping it over. "I don't want to break the lock."

"You may not have to" Mavis replied taking it from her. "Sometimes you can trigger these locks with a hairpin. Hold on a minute."

She got up and fished around on the dresser and found a black hairpin and put it in the lock. It took several tries but them the lock popped open. She didn't open it but handed it to Emily instead.

Emily stared at it a moment and Mavis noticed that her hands shook slightly and she slowly opened it.

"My mama's writing" Emily said more to herself than to Mavis.

                                              ((***))

Matheson rode from the airport trying to get his thoughts together as to what he was going to say to his grandfather. He was tired of his meddling.

Since he had the day off, he caught an early flight to Daytona. He would return that evening.

He realized that the old man came from a different era and that his upcoming marriage would be a hard thing for him to digest, but he was not going to let him or anyone else interfere with his happiness.

He got out of the taxi and quickly paid the driver. He stood before the large brick house that belonged to his grandparents and walked up to the door and rang the bell.

A young woman answered the door that he didn't recognize. She looked to be no older than he was.

"May I help you?" she asked curiously.

"I'm Matheson Hendricks. I'm here to see my grandfather." Matheson replied.

The girl looked surprised. "Was he expecting you?"

Matheson crossed his arms across his chest and tried not to be irritated.

"Since when does a grandchild need an appointment to see his grandfather?" Matheson asked dryly.

The girl raised an eyebrow but didn't reply. She opened the door wider. "Come in and I'll tell him you're here"

"No need." Matheson replied walking briskly past her. "I assume he's in his study."

The girl started to protest and quickly followed him as he walked down the hall. "He asked not to be disturbed" she said weakly catching up to him. "I don't want to get into any trouble-"

"You won't" Matheson replied cutting her off. He reached the study door and knocked quickly and then opened it before walking in.

Matheson found his grandfather sitting behind his desk and a man was sitting in a chair across from him. He could tell that his grandfather was surprised to see him.

"Matheson! What are you doing here?" he asked jumping up. Matheson didn't reply but walked across the room uninvited. He stared at his grandfather's guest a moment and then looked back at him.

"We need to talk" he snapped.

"Mr. Hendricks, I told him that you didn't want to be disturbed-" the girl said nervously.

Matheson's grandfather waved his hand in a dismissive fashion. "Forget it, Heina." He said looking at Matheson. She then walked out and shut the door.

"What's so damn important that you would bust into my office and disturb my meeting, boy?" William Hendricks asked sitting back down.

"I want you to stop meddling in my life." Matheson replied.

"You came all the way down here to tell me that?" William Hendricks asked laughing. "Boy you could have saved yourself some plane fare."

"I mean it, Gramps." He looked at the man sitting in the seat across from his grandfather. "Who is this, one of your henchmen?"

"You make me sound like the mob or something." William Hendricks said sitting down. "Let me introduce you to my colleague, Mr. Jones."

Matheson nodded at the man and then turned back to his grandfather. Jones didn't reply but continued to look back and forth between the two of them.

"Look Gramps, I'm marrying Valysia next month. You need to check yourself. This marriage is going to happen." Matheson snapped.

William Hendricks smiled. Matheson reminded him of Emily when he got riled up.

His grandfather sat back in the chair. "Someone has to look out for the Hannah's interest! I didn't work all my life to have my business go down the toilet!"

"Hannah's is doing well, Gramps. What are you talking about?"

Matheson looked at Jones. "What did my grandfather hire you for?"

"You don't come into my home, boy and question me or my colleagues!" William Hendricks growled jumping up from his seat. "You got yourself a fresh piece of black ass and now you've lost your mind!"

"You will watch your mouth, Gramps!" Matheson replied not backing down.

William Hendricks walked around the desk and pointed to the chair next to Jones. "Sit, boy. There's a few things I need to enlighten you on!"

Matheson sat down and crossed his arms across his chest. "Fine, but nothing you say will change my mind"

"I still own 51 percent of the business, boy." William Hendricks replied pointing his finger in Matheson's face. "Of course I'd promised that portion to your father in my will and I was going to leave you and the rest of my grandchildren cash, but I'm not giving you a dime if you go through with this marriage and I'm not giving your father the business either!"

"You can't do that Gramps! Pop has been running the business for years. You can't just cut him off." Matheson gasped clearly shocked.

"I can and I will" Gramps replied bringing his face close to his grandsons. "Your uncle and aunt still own five percent of the business each with your father owning the rest. He wanted to buy them out years ago and they did sell him a portion of their ownership, but Gregory only has 39 percent which is much less than my 51 percent. If you marry that girl, you won't get a dime of my money!"

"I don't need your money" Matheson snapped back.

"Perhaps not" Gramps replied smugly walking back to his desk. "However I know you'd hate to see Hannah's sold to the highest bidder."

"You would never do that!" Matheson snapped. "Hannah's is a family business."

"Exactly and that girl is not our family. You had better think long and hard about this. " he said calmly. "I'd rather sell at a profit rather than have the business go down the tubes because of your interracial mess."

"I've tried to tell you that the business is fine, Gramps. Just because I'm marrying a black girl does not mean that the business will suffer." Matheson said trying to reason with him.

"How do you know that this marriage will work? She could divorce you and sue you for all you're worth. I've already been told that you won't make her sign a prenup. That puts yourself as well as Hannah's at risk!" William Hendricks replied in contempt.

"Is that what this is all about? You're worried about the marriage ending before it even begins?" Matheson replied. "My marriage could end if I married a white girl or any other girl. You're not making sense! Valysia is a wonderful and decent woman. She loves me and I love her. You don't know anything about her!"

"Actually, I've had Jones here checking into your girl's background. Did you know her father went off the deep end after her mother died? The poor weak sap, couldn't recover from her death. He was an alcoholic! The wife died of cancer, and your girl has promiscuous family members. Her grandfather on her father's side of the family was a numbers runner. There are several unsavory members of her family that have a criminal background. I bet you didn't even know that!"

"What has that got to do with Val?" Matheson hissed. "I'm sure you're telling me all this about her family because you couldn't find anything on her to throw up in my face."

Jones pulled out his notebook and began to flip through it. "She doesn't have any assets to speak of" he said. "She does have a car note and a few credit cards. Her credit score is about 650."

"I can't believe you did this" Matheson snapped glaring at his grandfather.

"She hardly dated before you..." Jones continued reading ignoring Matheson's outburst.

"I guess I'll have to believe your virgin story" Gramps replied interrupting Jones. "Though one guy that took her out called her...uh what was it Jonsey?"

"Frigid." Jones replied.

"She's hardly frigid" Matheson hissed turning to Gramps. "You've gone too far, Gramps. I can't believe you had Val investigated!"

"I'm only looking out for your best interest." he replied totally unaffected by Matheson's anger.

"No you're not." Matheson countered. "You're trying to find something on Val that will make me break up with her."

Gramps sighed and relaxed back in his chair. "Well I could only hope. However, I can see that your mind is made up...especially knowing that you've been her only lover."

Matheson stood up. "Look, I came down here to reason with you. I can see that's not going to happen. I won't succumb to your threats against me, Val or my father. You can't run Hannah's on your own and I can tell you without a doubt that if you do this, you will lose your son and your daughter in law."

"Emily loves me" Gramps replied. He knew Emily was high strung, but he didn't like getting on her bad side. He knew that she was crazy about that woman...what's her name that raised her, but this was business!

"But I'm her son, and don't you forget it!" Matheson continued. "She will be very upset with you... and will cut you off! Remember that if it wasn't for her money, Hannah's wouldn't be what it is today!"

A thought suddenly hit him. "Wait a minute...doesn't my mother have a part ownership since she invested her money years ago?"

William suddenly looked sheepish. "Well...maybe a few shares."

"A few shares?" Matheson asked in disbelief. He quickly pulled out his phone and dialed his mother.

"What are you doing?" Gramps said trying not to panic.

"I'm calling Mom and asking her exactly how many shares she owns in the company."

"There's no need to do that" Gramps replied. "Emily has always sided with me in business matters."

"You're crazy if you think Ma's going to go along with this. You must have dementia or something." Matheson snapped listening to the phone ring as he held it in his hand. He watched as his grandfather shifted nervously in his seat.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Ma. It's Matheson." he said looking at his Grandfather.

"Matheson! Son is everything alright? Where are you?"


"In Florida, Ma."

"Florida? Are you visiting your grandparents? Where's Valysia?"


She's at home" Matheson replied. "I called to ask you how many shares do you own in Hannah's. What percentage of the company do you own?"

"Actually, I don't have any Hannah shares."
Emily replied. "I signed them over to you father years ago. I think it was about 25 percent. Why do you ask?"

"Well Gramps is threatening to sell the business if I marry Valysia." He watched as his Grandfather jumped up and came around the desk trying to grab the phone out of his hand. "He says he had 51 percent of the business."

"He can't do that. No that's not right..." Emily was saying as he dodged his Grandfather's grasp. "I believe your father already had thirty percent before I gave him my share. I'm sure that he has controlling interest in the company, Matheson. You will have to ask your father when you get back. Don't worry about your grandfather. He's all bark and no bite."

"Thanks, Ma." Matheson replied snapping the phone shut.

"You think you're pretty smart, don't you?" Gramps snapped clearly angry that he had been outsmarted.

Matheson laughed. "It seems you can't sell something you don't own, Gramps."

"Hmph!" Gramps replied pulling a cigar out of the box on his desk and lighting it up. "I was just testing you. I wanted to know for sure if you were really in love with this woman."

Matheson rolled his eyes. "I told you that I'm marrying her and nothing you say and no dirt you can dig up will change that."

"Well it's your funeral!" Gramps snapped back.

Matheson snickered. "So are you coming or not? If you are, I want you on your best behavior."

Gramps puffed the cigar and glared at him. "I hope you don't think I'm going to be happy about this!"

"You don't have to be happy, just well behaved" Matheson replied grinning. He turned to Jonesy. "Make sure he pays you will for all your hard detective work!"

"Oh, he pays very well" Jonesy replied smiling.

Matheson glanced at his Grandfather who was still puffing away on his cigar and glaring at him. "Hmph!" he replied totally disgusted by the turn of events.

Matheson chuckled and walked out of the den.

Chapter 34 Matchmaker Matheson by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson visits Hannah.  Val and Tameka go out on the town.

Matchmaker Matheson

Hannah was surprised when she opened the front door of her condo and found Matheson grinning at her holding a vase of daffodils, her favorite flower.

"Matheson!" she gasped obviously shocked. "What are you doing here in Florida? Is everything alright?"

Matheson kissed her cheek and grinned impishly at her surprised expression. "Yeah, everything is great! I just finished visiting Gramps. I must say he's none too happy with me right now."

He walked into the apartment and looked around. He had never been to his Aunt's home before. It was very spacious with only a few furnishings. She did, however have an abundance of pictures around of the family and there were quite of few of him! He knew that she was a softee!

"Well come on in" Hannah was saying as she sat the vase of flowers on a nearby table. "How long will you be in town?"

She led him to the sofa and he sat down. He looked at her and was pleased that she had maintained her new look. The change had taken at least fifteen years off of her and he was happy that she had kept herself up since she returned from Virginia. Her glasses still hung around her neck on a chain. She was wearing a royal blue blouse and black slacks.

"I have a plane to catch in a few hours. I just stopped by to see how you were doing. You look good." he replied as she sat down beside him.

Hannah noticed that his eyes roamed over her and was glad that he approved. A part of her wanted to please her nephew and she now felt closer to him than she ever had before. She just wished that Emily would bury the hatchet, but maybe that was expecting too much of her sister in law.

Hannah moved closer to him and patted him on the knee. He knew that she was pleased with his response. It bothered him a bit that she was alone. He wished that he could do something to help her meet somebody.

"Thanks for the compliment Mat." She replied smiling. "I owe it all to you, I guess."

"Nonsense!" Matheson replied. "You had it in you all the time. You just needed to open up. Have you met anybody yet?"

Hannah's face turned red and looked away. "Not really..." She let her voice trail off.

Matheson grabbed her hand. "I heard that hesitation in your voice. There's someone who has caught your eye? Who is it? Tell me."

"Matheson, really!" she snapped trying to use her most offended and haughty voice. "I am not desperate! My life is perfectly fine as it is! I am not chasing after any man!"

"I think you protest too much, Auntie" Matheson chuckled.

"Humph!" Hannah replied standing and changing the subject. "Would you like something to drink?"

She quickly walked into the kitchen with Matheson close behind. He knew by her attitude that she was hiding something and he wasn't about to drop the subject.

"You don't fool me." Matheson snickered. "When you get all high and mighty, you're hiding something."

Hannah turned to him trying not to smile but it was getting difficult. How did Matheson know her so well? She tried to sound indignant.

"I've nothing to hide, Matheson." She lied.

"Well then, who is he" Matheson pressed. He knew her. This uppity act she was putting on didn't fool him one bit.

She didn't reply right away but walked over to the refrigerator. "Would you like some lemonade?"

"Sure" Matheson replied still grinning. "And I would like to know who this fellow is that has caught your eye."

She got a glass out of the cabinet and Matheson crossed his arms across his chest and watched her as she poured it for him.

"I'm waiting" he said watching her.

"You're impossible!" Hannah replied handing him the glass.

"You might as well tell me" he continued, downing the lemonade. He handed her the empty glass and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

"It's nothing really" Hannah was saying avoiding his stare. "I met someone when I was in Baltimore. He seemed interested…but he's younger than I am…and he has a young daughter. He's a widow and he doesn't look like he's more than fifty years old."

Matheson watched her as she washed out the glass. "So what's this Romeo's name?"

"Emilio…Emilio Juarez. There's nothing to it really. He gave me his card…asked if I knew of any lawn work he could do. He has his own business." She looked at Matheson and shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know why I'm even telling you this. It's absurd. He was just looking for business…I don't know why I thought it may have been something more."

Matheson watched as she put the glass back in the cabinet. "Obviously something else must have been said in order for you to think that he was interested." he said.

"I don't know what it could be" Hannah replied. "I mean, now that I think about it-"

"You think too much!" Matheson snapped interrupting her. "Some things you just know. Sometimes there's just a spark between two people. You feel it, but you can't explain it…you just know! You're anything but dense, Aunt Hannah. A woman knows when a man is interested and if he was just interested in business, you would have known that too! I bet you were looking at him and he was looking at you and you both knew that the other one was interested."

"That's right" Hannah replied surprised at his insight. "That's exactly how it was."

"Well then?" Matheson asked following her back into the living room. "What are you going to do about it?"

"Really Matheson!" she said looking over her glasses at him. "What can I do about it? He's in Baltimore and I'm here! I don't know why I said anything to you about it in the first place. This whole conversation is pointless."

"You just can't help yourself. You like spilling your guts to me." Matheson snickered. "Give me his card and let me check him out for you."

He followed her to the bedroom where she picked up her purse and she removed the card and handed it to him. "I feel so foolish. Here I am a grown woman giving you permission to check out a possible beau!"

"I consider it an honor" Matheson replied grinning. "Only the best for my Auntie."

"What are you going to do?" she asked curiously. "And what's going on with you and Papa anyway."

"Gramps tried to get me to break it off with Val." Matheson replied looking at the card she handed him. "He told me that he's going to sell off the business if I marry her."

"He can't do that" Hannah replied. "Gregory has controlling interest."

"So my mother told me" Matheson said putting the card in his pocket. "I think he was just trying to scare me."

"He'll get used to the idea. Don't worry about it." Hannah replied laughing.

Matheson stared at his Aunt curiously. "How do you know that he'll finally accept Val?"

"Because he loves you and he doesn't have any other choice" she replied smugly.

Matheson laughed. "I hope you're right about that, Auntie!"

                                   ((***))

Val gritted her teeth as she opened the front door and found Tameka standing there.

She had on her usual tight jeans and she was sucking on a green blow pop.

'Cuz, what's up?" she asked grinning.

Val was immediately irritated. What did Tameka want? She tried to have some patience. "Well you're standing in my doorway sucking on that ridiculous piece of candy, that's what's up." she replied dryly.

Tameka grinned and ignored the controlled anger in her cousin's voice. "Now cuz, we are family. Don't be like that."

"Don't remind me. What do you want Tameka?" she asked.

Tameka glanced over her shoulder. "Where's your handsome fiance? I didn't see his car out front."

Val rolled her eyes. "Well since you didn't see his car, obviously he's not here."

Tameka sucked on the blow pop a moment and didn't reply. Her expression suddenly became sad.

"Look, are you going to ask me in or what? Don't be rude. We need to talk." She looked down at her hands. "I know Grandma upset you, but that wasn't me. How can you blame me for what she did?"

Val pointed to the couch when she walked in the door and watched her sit down. Her cousin was up to something, she just didn't know what it could be. Still, Tameka was right. She wasn't responsible for her grandmother's behavior.

"Look, Valysia" she was saying looking around. "We are family. We need to let bygones be bygones. You grandmother's not getting any younger, you know. You can't just cut yourself of from everybody else. All of us aren't against you."
Val stood in front of her and put her hands on her hips.

"She could care less about me, Tameka. I know that and you know that. Why did you really come here?"

Val watched as Tameka continued to suck on the blow pop and resisted an urge to snatch it from her.

"We are family. You're my family. I still love you, cuz. There's only a few months difference in our ages. It hurst my feelings how you look down on me, how you treat me. You think you're something now that you're marrying into the money, don't you?" she asked sadly. "You're marrying white and you think you're better than us! I know that I'm not a well educated Negro such as yourself. I didn't go to college like you did, but that doesn't make me dirt. That doesn't make you better than me. I do what I have to do to survive out here."

Val sighed. "I don't think I'm better than anybody, Tameka."

"Prove it!" Tameka replied grinning. "Let's go out tonight like we did when you would come home from college."

Val was surprised. "Go out where Tameka?"

"There's this club that just opened. In fact, it will be a little bachlorette outing for you." She suddenly looked sad again. "Remember how we used to play out in the yard when we were little. You and I were bestest friends. We used to be so close...like two sisters!"

"We were kids, Meka" Val replied trying not to smile. She remembered how they used to make mud pies and Tameka even ate one on a dare. What ever happened to the simple times they shared together? Tameka was always the daredevil and she got Val to do things she would never do on her own...like sneaking through the fence and getting in a neighbor's backyard pool. She even jumped in and helped her when she got into a fight with a school bully. Tameka wasn't so bad...and she was family.

"Yeah, we were kids and we let all this color nonsense come between us. Screw all our crazy family and their hangups! Let's hangout like we did when we were kids. Remember the sleepovers?" Tameka continued. "Remember when we snuck out of the house and took our sleeping bags out in the backyard and slept under the tree?"

Val giggled. "Yeah, I remember. I remember that bird poop that ended up in your hair too."

Tameka rolled her eyes. "There were hazards for being an explorer!"

Val laughed and smiled at her cousin. Those were good times...carefree times.

Tameka could see that Val was considering her offer. "Let's do it, Val. For old times sake. Come on. When is your man coming back?"

"He just called and told me that he's spending the night with his aunt and then he's flying back in the morning." Val replied.

"Well then you don't have any reason not to go out. " She could see Val hesitate. "Come on. It'll be fun."

Val grinned. Tameka's right. They weren't going to have many more opportunities to bond. "Alright then."

Tameka bit down on the blow pop. This was going to be easier than she thought. Fifty thousand dollars was a lot of money and Matheson's grandfather had given her an advance of ten thousand dollars to get Valysia in a compromising position so that Matheson would break up with her. A part of her felt guilty for her deceit, but she had a lot of debts to pay and that money would come in handy. Besides if he really loved her cousin, he'd take her back eventually.

Tameka grinned at Val. "I'll come back and pick you up around nine."

"Alright then" Val replied.

Tameka returned promptly at nine. She was dressed in a short black skirt with a silver halter top and silver shoes. Her makeup was flawless and her lips were a dark burgundy. She looked at her nails after ringing the bell and wondered what her cousin was wearing. She hoped that she wouldn't be too conservative.

Val opened the door and Tameka smiled. Perfect! She was her usual conservative self, but she had on a knee length black skirt with a peach colored top that crisscrossed and tied on the side. Tameka was glad that she told her that jeans were not allowed.

"How do I look?" Val asked grinning.

"Great" Tameka replied. Her cousin had on matching jewelry and black sandals. She could have used a little more makeup, but this would have to do.
"Come on" Tameka said leading her to the car.

Val was a little excited. She had texted Matheson and told him about her outing with Tameka and she could tell from his response that he was not happy about her going out with her cousin. Still, Tameka was family and they had been close when they were kids. She was an adult. She knew how to handle herself. Her grandmother had always been the one to give her grief. Tameka was right. Their grandmother was the one who drove a wedge between them. She couldn't hold that against Tameka even if her cousin was a little bit on the promiscuous side.

They arrived at the club and Tameka insisted on paying the ten dollar cover charge. The music was loud and the club was dark and Val had to wait for her eyes to adjust to the dim light. Val followed her to a table and they sat down. It wasn't long before several guys walked over to their table and Val was immediately uncomfortable when they took it upon themselves to sit down uninvited.

"Wanna dance" Val noticed one guy asked Tameka. He grinned showing an abundance of gold teeth and Val was immediately repulsed.

"Maybe later" Tameka replied. Val let out a sigh of relief. She was glad that her cousin rejected this loser. He reminded her of an oily snake with his nappy afro and tattoo on his neck.

"What about you?" Goldie said looking at her and giving her the once over.

Val hated guys who did that. "What am I, leftover seconds?" she replied coolly. "No thanks"

"Your friend is an uppity proper talking bitch, ain't she?" Goldie said looking at Tameka.

Val bit her tongue, but she felt like slapping him. She looked at Tameka.

"Now be nice" her cousin was saying to Goldie. "I'll dance with you in a little bit."

Goldie and his friend got up and left and Tameka turned to her.

"You need to loosen up, cuz."

"Me?" Val replied. "Am I supposed to take him calling me a bitch? Please! You can do a lot better than that loser, Meka."

Tameka beckoned for the waitress and ordered both of them a drink.

"Remember you're driving" Val warned as the waitress left them.

"Yeah, I know" Tameka replied. "I've only ordered one beer apiece. We can handle that."

Val was sure that Tameka could hold her liquor, but she didn't want her drinking and driving. She was going to make sure that she would keep her promise of just one beer.

Tameka took a swig of her beer and Val noticed that Goldie was walking back over to their table. Tameka stood up and turned to her. "I'll be back in a minute."

Val watched as she met Goldie on the floor and they began to dance. She sipped her beer and looked around. The place was packed and she then noticed a tall dark man walk over towards their table. "Hi" he said grinning. "You look like you could use some company."

"I'm fine. Thank you" Val replied. He was tall and nicely built. He had on black slacks and a pale blue shirt. He looked like he could be a male model and wondered what he did for a living and why on earth was he talking to her? She could see the envious stares from women as he walked over to her table.

She had to admit that it gave her a good feeling watching those women stare as he was absolutely gorgeous. He smiled at her revealing perfectly white teeth. He sat down beside her at the table and she inhaled the pleasant scent of his cologne.

"I'm Matthew." he said extending his hand.

"I'm Valysia" she murmured after the brief handshake.

"Valysia...how beautiful" he replied his voice smooth and deep like Barry White's. "Beautiful name for a beautiful lady. You're here alone?"

"I'm with my cousin" Val replied nervously. What was wrong with her? Yes, he was a good looking man, but he didn't measure up to her Matheson. So what if he had a voice like Barry White and a body like Nelly. So what that he smelled and sounded sexy as hell? So what if there was a bunch of women across the room drooling enviously?

"Girls night out" Matthew asked sliding his chair closer to hers.

"Uh..something like that" Val heard herself saying.

"Will you dance with me, Valysia?" he asked his voice a hypnotic baritone.

"Uh..I don't dance on slow songs with anyone but my fiance." she replied nervously. His large brown eyes were chocolate pools of fire as he looked at her. He didn't give her the once over. His eyes were locked with hers. She felt her heart pound in her chest.

"Ah, I like that...a woman with integrity" Matthew whispered smiling. "Just one dance...I promise to be a gentleman."

Val hesitated a moment. What was one little dance? After all, he seemed to be a nice guy. She glanced over at Tameka who was still on the floor with Goldie who had his hands on her behind. She felt herself shudder at the sight.

"Are you alright?" Matthew asked looking concerned.

"I'm fine. I just caught a chill" Val replied.

Before she realized it, Matthew had grabbed her and pulled her onto the dance floor. Startled, she looked around and saw that people were dancing and weren't paying her much attention. What was her problem? There wasn't anything wrong with her dancing with Matthew. She had told Matheson that she was going to a club with Tameka. He knew that people danced. She was just having a little fun. It was all perfectly innocent.

She relaxed under her own reasoning and began to dance. After a few moments, she realized that she was actually having fun and before she knew it that had danced off of three songs. Matthew was a perfect gentleman. He led her back over to the table and she sat down. She looked around and Tameka was no where in sight! She looked back at Matthew and started to pick up her beer. She was hot from all the dancing and her mouth was dry.

"Don't drink that" Matthew replied grabbing her arm. "Never drink something you left on the table unattended. You can never be too careful!"

Val was grateful. What was wrong with her? She knew that. "Thanks Matthew. I guess I was just thirsty. I wasn't thinking."

"I'll get you a fresh beer." he replied getting up.

After he left the table, Val looked around for Tameka. She spotted her after a few moments dancing with another man. Goldie was no where to be found. This one was an improvement. He was good looking and very muscular.

Mathew returned to the table with a beer and a glass and sat it down in front her.

"Thanks." she said taking a sip from the bottle.

They chatted for a few minutes and Val sipped her beer and looked around for Tameka. The sound of Matthews voice echoed through her brain and she felt herself grow warmer as he talked. He was holding her hand across the table and she felt herself become aroused. He was so damn handsome and sexy and she found herself wondering what it would be like to be with him.

Warning bells began going off in her head. What was wrong with her? Why was she thinking those kinds of thoughts? She was engaged to Matheson. She loved him, not this stranger with the smooth voice sitting in front of her. He slid around the table and she felt his hand around her waist.

"You're a hard woman to resist, Valysia" she heard him saying. She felt his hand on her knee and his hand began to inch up her leg. God she was horny as hell! What was wrong with her? Why didn't she move his hand or slap his face?

"You feel like I feel, don't you?" Matthew was saying. "I promise you that I'm a very good lover."

Val's mouth was dry and her panties were dripping. Something wasn't right. She wasn't a loose girl. She was engaged. She felt the hand that was around her waist inch up to the underside of her breast while the other hand was still on her thigh. She looked up and saw Tameka kissing the man that she was dancing with. Matthew leaned into her, his lips grazing her ear. "I know how to please a woman. I know how to use my lips. You won't be disappointed."

His comment seemed to make her body ache more and she felt him rub her through her panties sending volts of electricity through her. Somehow her hand was on him and she could feel his arousal through his pants. Her brain was foggy and she was hot and horny, her center screaming for attention. It took all of her will power not to open her legs wider for his seeking fingers.

Val jumped up. "I...I've got to go"

Matthew grabbed her arm. "Don't leave. We can go someplace. Just tell your cousin that I'll take you home."

She walked quickly over to Tameka. "Meka. I'm ready to go."

"What?" Tameka said grabbing her arm and leading her towards the ladies room.

"It's only one o'clock. Things are just beginning to crank up. What's your problem?"

"I...I don't feel well" Val lied.

"I see you were all up on that good looking chocolate hunk that came over to your table." Tameka observed. "Could it be that you're feeling a little guilty about cheating on Snow White."

"I am not cheating!" Val snapped. "I...I just danced, that's all."

"Uh-huh. It looked like you were ready to give him a lap dance at the table a moment ago." Tameka snickered.

"Meka, something's not right...I need to leave" Val pleaded. "I don't feel well."

Tameka pulled her into the bathroom. "I just met David Jarrod. Do you know who he is? He's a football player for the Baltimore Blackbirds! Ching Ching! I can't leave now Val. Get Chocolate thunder to take you home."

"You've got to be kidding!" Val hissed. "What happened to us being together? What happened to cousins bonding and all that?"

"Didn't you hear me? David Jarrod! And he's very interested in me. This is my opportunity Val. You've got your hunk, now I have a chance to get mine. If you don't want the guy to take you home, I'll call you a cab. I'm staying!"

"Fine!" Val hissed back at her. Why did she even come out here with Tameka. This was her own fault. She knew her cousin was a whore and now she was about to become one too if she didn't get the hell out of there!

Both men were standing out in the hallway when they exited the bathroom.

"Is everything alright?" Mathew asked.

"My fiance is on his way to get me." Val lied. "Thanks for the dance, Matthew."

Val could see that he was clearly disappointed. "Well call me if things don't work out." he replied handing her a slip of paper. She slipped it into her purse.

Val looked at Tameka who was now talking to David Jarrod. She knew a booty call if she ever saw one. Her cousin was a fool if she thought tonight would lead to anything else other than sex.

Why had she even agreed to this madness? She walked outside of the club and waited for the cab. She should have never come here. The air made her feel a bit better. She didn't know what happened back there. Could Matthew have slipped something in her beer? She wasn't sure. The club's body guard eyed her and walked over to her as she stood on the curb.

"Are you waiting for someone, Miss? It's not good to be standing out here alone."

Val smiled gratefully. "My cab should be here any minute."

The body guard nodded and walked back over to the front of the club still watching her.

Val sighed as the cab pulled up and quickly got in. How could she let that man touch her so intimately? What possessed her to touch him in return? How could she explain her behavior to Matheson? What was she going to do? It wasn't Tameka's fault that she did what she did. Her head began to throb and she quickly gave the cabbie her address and laid her head back and closed her eyes as he pulled off. She dreaded explaining herself to Matheson, but there was no way she could keep this to herself. She had acted like a hussy just three and a half weeks before her wedding!

Nightclub

Chapter 35 Nightmares and Revelations by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Val has a confession. 

Nightmares and Revelations

Matheson listened as Val tried to explain her behavior that night at the club. He watched as the tears ran down her face and her voice broke between the sobs of her explanation. Her hand shook slightly as she held his hand in hers. She had cheated- well, not physically, but surely mentally she had betrayed him!

She should never have gone with that cousin of hers. He had felt nothing but dread when she told him that she was going out with Tameka. He'd wanted to command her not to go -knowing that he didn't have a right to do so- and he had immediately felt the apprehension and dread that threatened to overtake him. Now it seemed that his fears had not been unfounded.

When he was in Florida and had hung up his phone and put it in his pocket, he'd found his Aunt Hannah staring at him curiously. He had played it off, but not very well. He didn't want to discuss his sexual insecurities with his Aunt. No one knew his pain in that area. He had not even gone into detail with Val because it was much too painful. Now that his trust in her had been shaken, he wasn't sure if he could. Val was unlike any woman he had ever met. She didn't have anyone else to compare him to, which gave him confidence in the bedroom. He had done everything he knew how to please her and the thought of her turning to someone else hurt more than he thought possible.

When he returned home, he knew immediately from the sound of her voice that something was wrong. Something had happened. He had come over immediately, per her request, and now he sat next to her on the sofa and stared down at her hand trembling in his as he listened to the details of her infidelity.

"Matheson, please say something!" Val whispered, looking at him after she had finished. He sat next to her, unwilling to look at her. She thought that she could have handled it much better if he had just become angry and yelled at her. Instead, he looked so defeated that it broke her heart.

Matheson looked up at her, trying to will the tears that threatened to fall from the corners of his eyes to dissipate. He didn't want her to see how much this hurt, even though he wasn't very good at hiding his emotions. He quickly realized that he'd failed miserably, as the rebellious tears ran from his eyes.

"What is there to say, Val? Obviously, I'm not providing all you need and you had to go out seeking it from someone else!" he whispered, not meeting her eyes.

"That's not true!" she exclaimed, jumping up. "I went out to be with Tameka. I didn't go out looking for a man. It was supposed to be girl's night out."

Matheson shrugged. "What is girl's night out really, Val? It's girls going out looking for men! What was this, a last fling before being tied down to mediocre me? You wanted to see what it was like to be with a black man?"

There! He had let it out! He had always heard that white men couldn't really satisfy black women. He'd thought he had a chance, since she had been a virgin… but now, he wasn't so sure. He had been so sure that he was satisfying her sexually. Now, his confidence was shaken. Maybe she just wanted to make a comparison of some sort.

Val gasped at his comment. "How can you even think that? I didn't go looking for anyone. It just happened, Matheson. How can you say such a thing to me?"

"I say that because you are now following in the footsteps of the other women I've been involved with. I thought things would be different with us. I thought that, just maybe, you would be happy with just me." He pulled away from her and wiped his face with the back of his hand.

Val grabbed his hand again, and he looked at her. "I am happy with you, Matheson. There's no one else for me-you know that. What happened was a freak accident! I don't know; maybe something was in my drink. I felt strange, like I didn't have much self control. You've got to believe me. I'd never do anything to hurt you."

"The drink made me do it," he spat sarcastically. He stood up. "Right! I've heard enough. I need time to think- to clear my head."

Val watched in horror as he headed towards the door. She had to make him understand, somehow.

"Where are you going?" she asked, walking up behind him. He couldn't just leave! They had to talk this thing out.

"Home." He replied, not turning around. He opened the door and she quickly reached around it and slammed it shut.

"Matheson please-" she begged.

He spun around. "I need time to think, Val. I need to decide whether to go on with this marriage or not."

"You want to call it off?" she asked, shocked. Her head began to throb, as the consequences of her actions that loomed before her.

"I don't know what I'm going to do yet." Matheson replied. "I need time to think. For me, marriage is forever. I need to feel that I'm all you'll ever want and need. I need to be able to trust you."

Tears ran down her face, which tore at his heart. He wasn't feeling vindictive. He was hurt and he needed some time to think and lick his wounds -the old ones that had surfaced.

"Matheson, I love you-" she pleaded. "You know that I do."

"Would a woman who loved me allow another man to touch what belongs to me?" he asked, staring at her. "Would a woman who loved me allow herself to be aroused by another man?"

He turned and walked out of the apartment, slamming the door behind him.

Val stared at the door, unable to comprehend what had just happened. She loved Matheson. She was sure of that. She didn't know what she'd expected him to say when she told him what she had done. What would she have done if the roles had been reversed? Most likely, she would have responded much in the same way Matheson had. How could she be so foolish? How could she have allowed herself to end up in such a compromising position?

Could that drink have been spiked with something? How would she know? She picked up the phone and quickly dialed Tameka's cell. If she could prove that she had been taken advantage of, perhaps Matheson would find it in his heart to forgive her. Tameka went to the club a lot; she would know if something like this had happened to anyone else. Perhaps she had even seen Matthew there before with another woman, and maybe even heard that he'd done this before. After a few rings, Tameka picked up, her voice groggy.

"Hello?"

"Meka, it's me Val." Tameka sounded as if she were hung-over.

"Uh…ok…what's up Val?
"

"Are you alright?" Val asked, concerned.

"No, I had a bad night."


"What happened?" Val asked, when her cousin failed to elaborate. Tameka sounded strange, her voice, rough and scratchy, causing Val to temporarily forgot her own dilemma.

"That asshole-"


"You mean the football player?"

"Yeah him! It seems he likes it rough and when I didn't want to cooperate, things got ugly."

"What? Did he rape you?" Val snapped. "What are you talking about? What did he do to you, Meka?"

"He wouldn't call it rape."

"Did you say no?" Val insisted. "Did he force you?"

"I mean, I was willing until he wanted to tie me up and choke me!"
Tameka replied. "He smacked me around. He was a real freak!"

"Did you say no? Did you tell him to stop, and did you try to leave?" Val pressed.

"Yeah, but he did it anyway. He's much bigger than me, Val."

"Then you were raped, Meka. I'm calling the police!"

"No, Val!"
she sobbed into the phone. "Please don't. I don't want anyone to know what a fool I was for dealing with the asshole, in the first place. Everyone at the club saw us together. I knew what time it was. I don't have a leg to stand on! He's famous with a lot of money. He'll drag me through the mud for sure!"

"Tameka, that doesn't give him a right to rape you! I'm coming over there!"

Before Tameka could protest, Val hung up the phone. She would have to use her GPS to locate Meka's apartment, since she had never been there before.

Val now felt that her own problems were minor compared to Tameka's. She would not allow her cousin to let this go. Who cares that this rapist was David Jarrod; a famous football player? He had raped her, and he would pay for it!

Val followed the directions given by the voice on the GPS and pulled into the parking lot of Tameka's apartment. She saw several clusters of young men hanging around, with their pants hanging off their behinds, smoking. One of them was drinking from a beer can openly, laughing with the others. It appeared that Tameka didn't live in the best of neighborhoods.

She walked up the steps of the apartment complex and could hear the loud music playing from several different apartments. Half naked children played in the yard, which was a dust bowl with no grass. The railing was loose as she walked up the steps. This place was a dump! She walked down the walkway overlooking the parking lot. Several of the young men watched her from below as she looked for Tameka's apartment, and she gripped the pepper spray in her pocket.

She stopped when she reached number 1520 and knocked on the door. It was several moments before the door was opened, with the chain still on the door from the inside.

"Tameka?"

"I told you not to come!" Tameka hissed.

"Open this door or I'll kick it down!" Val hissed back.

Tameka shut the door and Val could hear her removing the chain. The room was dark and Val walked in and tried to adjust her vision from being outside. She shut the door behind her and replaced the chain.

Tameka turned around and walked back to the bedroom with Val following her.

Val quickly turned on the light and was shocked at what she saw. Tameka had on a thin gown and she was covered with bruises. There was a larger bruise around her neck that looked as if something had been tied around it. Her eye was black and her lip was swollen. Dried blood was under her nose. Bruises were everywhere and there was no hiding them, with Tameka's fair skin. Val was livid though she tried to keep her voice calm. Tameka didn't need to hear a lecture, she needed emergency care!

"Meka!" Val gasped in a shocked whisper. "Oh my god! Did he do this?"

"It's not that bad." Tameka stammered defensively.

"Not that bad?" Val snapped. "It looks like he beat the crap out of you! I'm calling the police!"

"No, Val. Please don't call the police!" Tameka begged. "I don't want to be in the papers. I don't want people whispering and gossiping about me. They'll say it's about money-"

Val shook her head. "He needs to be in jail and I'm going to be the one to help you put him there!"

She quickly dialed 911. Tameka tried to grab the phone from her, but then groaned, as she was too sore to fight her cousin. Tameka fell back on the bed in defeat and put her arm across her face.

Val walked into the living room as she talked to the police. She walked back into the bedroom after she hung up the phone.

"Have you showered since you came back?" she asked. "The police want to know."

"I hurt too much to get in the shower. I thought I'd just wait until later-" Tameka groaned behind the arm that was across her face.

"Good. They will be doing a rape kit. I have to take you to the emergency room." Val replied.

"I don't want to go." Tameka whined. "I'll be fine, Val. I just need a few days to recover."

Val ignored her. She looked in her closet and tried to find something loose fitting that wouldn't hurt her to try to put on. She didn't see much to choose from, and rummaged around in her drawer before finding a tee shirt and a short jean skirt. Didn't her cousin even own a pair of sweat pants or loose fitting clothes?

"Put these on. I'll help you," Val instructed, walking over to her.

Tameka didn't protest and grimaced as she pulled off the gown. Val gasped at the bite marks on her shoulders, stomach and buttocks. Bite marks were on her breasts as well. On one breast, he had broken the skin and there was dry blood on the mark. What kind of sadistic animal would do this?

She helped Tameka dress, which was a slow process. She handed her a pair of flip flops and led her to the car. They drove in silence to the emergency room and Val talked to the desk clerk as Tameka sat in the waiting room. It wasn't long before the nurse led then to a room and drew the curtain, asking Tameka to undress. She asked Val to wait in the waiting room.

Val used the opportunity to text Matheson and tell him what was going on. Maybe he was angry at her, but no one deserved to be brutalized like Tameka had been. For a moment she realized that the same thing could have happened to her and a chill ran over her. She wished that they had never gone to that club!

Val wasn't about to call her grandmother Chamberlayne. She could just imagine how she would respond. She rested her head back against the seat in the waiting room, which was quite comfortable. She glanced at her watch and realized that she had already been there for over an hour. The waiting room was almost empty. There were just a few people and they were quickly called to the back after a few minutes. She closed her eyes and tried not to think about Matheson.

"Val!"

She looked up and saw Matheson standing in front of her. She realized that she must have dozed off.

"I didn't think you'd come." she confessed. He had changed his clothes from his earlier visit. He was now dressed in his baker's uniform and Val wondered if he had left the store to come to the hospital.

"Matheson, I didn't mean for you to leave the store." she stammered.

"Gary's there" he replied avoiding her stare.

He sat down beside her and took her hand in his, which gave her hope. He rubbed his thumb across her fingers and appeared to be in deep thought. Val didn't know what to say to him. He had come. Despite everything, he'd left the store on a moments notice and came to her.

"How's your cousin?" Matheson murmured, not looking up.

"She's a mess, Matheson!" Val whispered squeezing his hand. "She's covered with bruises and bites."

She stared down at her hand in his. "I realized that it could have been me instead of Meka back there, Matheson. This was supposed to be a girl's night out with the two of us bonding and having fun. It wasn't supposed to turn out this way."

Her voice cracked under the pressure of the realization of all that happened. Tameka was raped and Matheson could very well leave her. Her world was falling apart. She placed her face in her hands, trying to hide the sobs that she couldn't hold back.

Matheson put his arm around her. He had been angry at Tameka for taking Val out; angry that Val had gone along with it. Now it seemed that their night out had cost her cousin far more than she had bargained for. Val was right, it could have been her instead of Tameka.

"Have the police arrived?" he asked, finally looking at her.

"They're back there now, I think." Val sniffed, wiping her eyes. Her eyes locked with his. His large, ocean eyes couldn't hide his feelings. She had hurt him deeply.

"Matheson…I'm so sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen!"

"I know." he replied as he watched the nurse approach them.

"Miss Chamberlayne, you can go back now. Your cousin wants to see you."

"Go on, I'll wait here." Matheson replied as he watched her stand.

Val walked back to the room and saw that Tameka was alone. She looked at her watch and realized that they had been there almost three hours.

"Well, it's done. The wheels have started turning." Tameka stated as she slipped her feet back into her flip flops.

"You're pressing charges, right?" Val insisted.

"I didn't want to…but yes I did." Tameka replied. "I don't know how I'll be able to look him in the face. I don't know how I'll be able to face him in court."

Val put her arm around her. "Matheson is here."

"Why'd you tell him?" Tameka snapped. "I don't want him looking at me all, weirded-out!"

"He's not like that, Meka." Val reassured her. "He's a good, kind hearted man."

Tameka didn't respond as they walked out into the waiting room. Matheson had left the store and come down here, despite what she'd done. This wasn't his problem. Tameka was her cousin, her family. He loved her more than she imagined. She couldn't lose him now. She would do whatever it took to make him trust her again.

Matheson tried to hide his shock when he saw Tameka. The black eye was obvious as well as the bruises on her arms. Who would do this to another human being? At first he had been angry about her taking Val to the club, now he was angry at whoever had done this to Tameka. No one deserved this type of abuse. He watched as she limped slightly as they walked over to him.

"I hope the doctor gave you something for pain." He said, looking from Tameka to Val. "I can pick up your prescription while Val takes you home. It'll save you a trip."

"Thank you." Tameka replied gratefully, handing them to him.

Val decided to take Tameka to her apartment, instead of taking her home. She didn't want that brute to come back for seconds, as she was sure he knew where Tameka lived. She texted Matheson and told him to bring the prescriptions to her apartment.

Tameka was sleepy after taking the pain medication administered at the hospital and Val put her in her bed and cut out the light. She would have to go back to Meka's place and get some of her things. It was beginning to get dark and she didn't want to return to Tameka's apartment alone. She decided to ask Matheson to go with her when he arrived.

Tameka's phone began to vibrate and she quickly answered it.

"Miss Chamberlayne?" the voice on the other end said. "This is Detective Grant."

"This isn't Tameka Chamberlayne. I'm her cousin, Valysia. "Val replied. "She's asleep from the meds the doctor gave her."

"Yes, I remember you from the hospital. I came by the apartment but I didn't get an answer."

"That's because she's with me." Val replied. She quickly gave him her address.

Just then, Matheson knocked on the door. She quickly explained that the detective was coming over, but that she needed to go and pick up some things from Tameka's apartment.

"I'll go with you." he said. "You'd better go wake up Tameka."

He gave her the prescriptions and watched as she walked upstairs. Things were not going as he had planned. He had wanted to get away and try to think about their relationship. Now, this rape had changed everything. Things could have been a whole lot worse.

He knew that he loved Val, but they still had to talk about what had happened. Right now, though, she was preoccupied with Tameka, which he understood.

There was a knock on the door and an older man with salt and pepper hair stood in the doorway. He seemed surprised to see Matheson.

"I'm looking for Miss Chamberlayne. I'm Detective Grant."

"Come in." Matheson replied, opening the door. "They are upstairs."

He showed Detective Grant to the sofa and then ran upstairs and knocked on the bedroom door. Val opened it and he saw Tameka sitting on the side of the bed.

"The detective is downstairs." he said, as he saw a wobbly Tameka trying to stand.

"We'll be down in a minute." Val replied.

He walked back downstairs and it was about ten minutes before the two of them descended the stairs.

"Miss Chamberlayne, I'm sorry to have to disturb you so soon after your discharge." Detective Grant was saying.

Tameka nodded and grimaced as she sat in a nearby chair.

"It seems that there has been some sort of mix-up."

"What are you talking about?" Tameka replied.

"The man that assaulted you was not David Jarrod. We've just left Mr. Jarrod, and he has an airtight alibi. He wasn't the man that attacked you." Detective Grant replied, sympathetically.

"What?" Val snapped. "I don't believe this bull!"

"It was him!" Tameka insisted. "I guess he's using his millions to buy his alibi."

"I don't think so." Detective Grant countered. He handed her a photo. "Is this the man that you were with last night?"

Tameka looked at the picture of the stranger that was dressed in a Blackbird's uniform. He was a handsome and muscular man, but he was not the man that she was with before.

"No, who is this?" she asked, handing the picture back to the detective.

"That's the real David Jarrod. It seems that the man who attacked you is an imposter."

"Isn't there a law against that?" Matheson asked, jumping up.

"Yes there is." Detective Grant replied. "We're trying to locate this perpetrator and we are reviewing the tapes from the club. We have some solid leads." He stood up. "We'll be in touch."

Val showed him to the door and led Tameka back to her bedroom.

Tameka seemed to be exhausted and she cut off the light and headed back downstairs. She had taken the keys to Tameka's apartment from her purse. Matheson was sitting on the sofa.

"I need to go over to her apartment and pick up a few things." She said. Matheson nodded.

"I would appreciate it if you would go with me." she ventured.

"Of course." Matheson replied.

They rode in silence to Tameka's and Val could hardly stand it. She cut off the engine when they pulled into the parking lot.

"Matheson, we've got to talk."

"Not now. " he replied. "This is about Tameka, remember."

"I don't want you to leave me." Val pleaded. "I love you. I want only you."

Matheson sighed. "I wish I could believe you, Val."

"You can Matheson. Some things you can't fake. You know that I love you."

She reached for his face and leaned over and kissed him. He didn't respond, but just stared at her.

"I need time, Val." he said finally.

Val felt as if her heart was going to break. She got out of the car. She knew that the time wasn't right, but she couldn't help it. She didn't know what she would do if she lost Matheson.

"What's this?" Matheson asked, holding up a card as they walked up the steps. "It fell out of your purse when you were getting Tameka's keys."

Val was filled with dread as she realized it was Matthew's phone number. Why didn't she throw it away? She had forgotten all about it.

"It's nothing." she stammered.

"Nothing? It says Mathew and it has a number on it. Is this the man you saw at the club? Why would you keep his number, Val?"

"It was a mistake." Val explained as she opened the door to Tameka's apartment. "I forgot I had it."

"Don't lie to me!" Matheson snapped grabbing her as she opened the door. His fingers dug into her shoulders. "Don't lie to me!"

"I'm not lying, Matheson. He stuck it in my purse and I forgot about it. That's the truth."

His face searched hers and then he let her go. "Go and get what you came for. I want to go home."

"Matheson-"

"Don't push things with me Val. Right now I don't want to talk to you."

Tears stung her eyes. Never had Matheson spoken to her in that tone before. She quickly gathered up some things and put them in a suitcase she found. What a mess! She couldn't blame Matheson if he left her. How could she even explain her actions?

She knew that she should give him some time, but she also knew that if his father or his grandfather knew that their relationship was in trouble, they both would convince him to break it off. She tried not to panic.

He was standing by the door and she dropped the suitcase and ran up to him, throwing her arms around his neck. She kissed him and reached between his legs and began to massage him.

"Matheson, you know you've been the only one. You're the only one I want." She pleaded. "I'll do whatever you want. Please…please don't leave me." She felt him grow hard under her hand, but he pushed her away.

"What do you think you're doing? Sex isn't going to solve our problems!" he snapped. She quickly unzipped his pants, loosing his member, and quickly dropped to her knees.

Matheson's mind was screaming for her to stop, but his body was responding. She knew just what to do, and maybe that was the problem. She had never used sex as a weapon before and mentally he was repulsed. He didn't want her like this.

He pulled away from her and grabbed her by her shoulders pulling her to her feet.

"So now you want to play the whore?" he mocked. "Is this a trade? A blow job for a wedding?"

Val gasped. "I just want to make it up to you."

"You'll never make it up to me this way." he replied adjusting his clothes. "I never would have thought that you of all people would try to buy my love with sex. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that you would use sex to try to manipulate me."

"That's not it-"

"Then what is it then? You tell me!" he snapped.

"I…I just don't want to lose you." She confessed.

"You'll never have me like this. I need a woman I can trust. I don't know if that's you, right now, and this…this that you tried to do, has dirtied my memory of us. Sex was special between us. You tried to turn it into something dirty."

"I'm sorry." Val replied crying. "I was desperate. I didn't know what else to do."

Matheson stared at her a moment. "I thought you knew me Val. Maybe we really don't know each other, at all. Maybe we need to postpone this wedding."

Val stared at him and realized he was deadly serious. She had made things worse. Her shoulders slumped in defeat.

"Alright Matheson. Whatever you want. I can't say that I'd blame you if wanted to break it off. Regardless of what you may think of me, I do love you and I'd do anything to make this up to you."

Matheson stared at her. Leaving her was the last thing he wanted to do, but he needed time to sort out all of his feelings. He wanted to pull her into his arms and kiss her senseless. She looked so hopeless…so lost, right now. He knew in his heart that he loved her and he believed that she loved him. Yet he didn't want to go into a marriage where there was mistrust.

He sighed. "Let's just get out of here."

He walked out of the apartment and Val followed him, locking the door behind her.

Chapter 36 Wisdom and Regret by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Gregory becomes the voice of reason.

Wisdom and Regret

Gregory impatiently tapped his pen on the desk as he waited for Matheson to arrive at his office. He had dismissed his secretary for the day and no one else was there. He looked at his watch and saw that it was after five. Matheson had promised him that he would meet him at five. He wanted privacy when he talked to his son. He did not want any interruptions.

Matheson had been distant lately which was unlike him. He always stopped by the house to visit at least once a week. Something was most definitely up. At first there had been the announcement that he and Val were moving the wedding up from the original October date to June. Now Matheson had told him that they had decided to change it back to the original October date. When he had questioned his son he had merely replied that Val wasn't quite ready for marriage.

On top of all this, Matheson had been conveniently busy, and he knew that his son was avoiding both he and Emily. Of course, he told them that things were hectic at the store, which was true, and that he was tired which may also be true, but Gregory knew his son. He knew that Matheson was avoiding them because Matheson knew that he and his mother could read him like a book, and he most likely did not want to discuss what was really going on. Matheson could never hide things from them for very long, and he knew that they would ask him about the change of plans- plus, he was a terrible liar.

Gregory sighed, wondering if the two lovebirds had gotten into some sort of a fight, or if they had just gotten cold feet. He knew that Matheson was suddenly putting in longer hours at the store, and that worried him. He didn't want his son overworking himself, only to end up with more blood pressure issues. He knew that he couldn't come right out and confront him over the phone, so he asked him to come by the office because of a problem with the Cedar Crest Mall store. It wasn't a lie. The Cedar Crest store sales had increased forty five percent, and he needed to hire additional help.

He heard footsteps approaching his office and Gregory knew that Matheson had arrived. Gregory tried to hide his initial shock at Matheson's appearance when he walked into the office. His son appeared exhausted and Gregory resisted the urge to chastise Matheson as he watched his son run his hand through his hair.

Matheson gave his father a forced smile and Gregory reluctantly did the same. He noticed that his eyes were bloodshot and baggy. He looked as if he hadn't slept in days.

"Son, you're overworking yourself." Gregory said, pointing to a chair for him to sit down. "I called you down here to talk about the Cedar Crest Mall store, but now I'm not so sure that I did the right thing. You look as if you could use another vacation, not additional headaches."

Matheson laughed. "I'm fine Dad. Things have just been hectic lately." He rubbed his eyes and would not meet his father's stare.

Gregory studied him a moment before speaking. "How's Val?" He asked, finally.

Matheson shifted in his seat and glanced around the room. "She's fine." He replied, clearing this throat, he rushed to continue. "Look, I may be able to spare some of my part time help for the Cedar Crest store. A couple of my part time people are looking for full time employment. They are hard, dependable workers and I think that they will jump at the opportunity."

He pulled out his phone and then began to write their names and numbers on a piece of paper that he tore from the yellow legal pad on his father's desk. "I can call them right now if you'd like," he said, not looking up.

"We can take care of that later." Gregory replied. "I want to talk to you about something else."

Matheson sat back in the chair in front of his father's desk and crossed his legs. He didn't want to talk about Val, and tried not to meet his father's stare. Matheson knew that his father was wondering why they had postponed the wedding for a couple of months and wasn't quite sure how he was going to get around his father's questions.

Gregory studied his son a moment. He could tell that he was uncomfortable because Matheson knew where this conversation was headed. He knew that Matheson was avoiding the issue by changing the subject.

Gregory picked up the piece of paper Matheson had scribbled on, studying it. He folded the paper and put it in his coat pocket. He then cleared his throat, giving his son a serious stare. "Now, are we going to pussy foot around or are you going to tell me what's really going on? You've been avoiding your mother and I for almost two weeks, and you tell her on the phone that you and Valysia are postponing the wedding when just a month ago, you moved it up from October to June? What's this all about?"

Matheson shifted in his seat and pulled out his phone to check for messages. "Nothing to tell Dad. We both have a lot going on-"

"Cut the crap!" Gregory snapped at his son. "I'm your father. I know when I'm being bullshitted-especially when it's you. Now, I will ask you again, what's going on?"

Matheson sighed. "I'd really rather not talk about it."

"I see." Gregory replied, sitting back in his chair. "Don't tell me she cheated on you?"

Matheson didn't reply, and stared down at the phone in his hands.

"You've got to be kidding!" Gregory replied at his reaction, clearly shocked.

"Look, Dad I told you I didn't want to talk about it." Matheson snapped. "She didn't actually sleep with another man, but she let him…take liberties with her. Let's just leave it at that."

"No, let's not!" Gregory said, raising his voice. "You look like hell; you're working yourself into an early grave. You need to talk to somebody. Why not me?"

Matheson was irritated even though his father was right. He didn't have anyone else that he was close enough with to discuss this situation with. Still, he didn't want to talk about Val's infidelity with his father. More than likely his father would tell him to leave her, and Matheson didn't want to hear that. He could see however, that his father was not going to let the matter rest until he came clean.

"She claimed that she thinks something may have been slipped into her drink when she was out with her cousin." He then reluctantly told his father the whole story.

"Well, did you check her story out?" Gregory asked, after he had finished. "Val seems as straight-laced as they come. I've heard about these date drugs that guys slip in on unsuspecting women. She's lucky that she didn't end up in the hospital!"

"She should never have gone there in the first place!" Matheson snapped. "Her cousin ended up getting raped! That could have happened to her."

"Let me get this straight." Gregory replied leaning on his desk. "You're postponing the wedding because some guy tried to take advantage of your woman and you're jealous; or are you postponing the wedding because Val is traumatized about what happened to her cousin?"

Matheson looked away. "It's complicated."

"Son, what's really bothering you?" Gregory asked. "It's obvious to me that you need someone to talk to. From the looks of you, I can see that you haven't been sleeping, and probably not eating much either. The stress will affect your health. I'm your father. I love you, you know that. Come on now, let's talk."

Matheson fidgeted in his seat and cleared his throat. What the hell? He had to talk to somebody!

"I just can't see how she could let this happen." He said finally.

"She let it happen?" his father replied, surprised. "You think she wanted someone to take advantage of her?"

"That's not what I'm saying-"

"That's exactly what you're saying, Matheson. I suppose her cousin let herself get raped too, right?"

"You're twisting my words!" he growled. "If she had never gone there, this would never have happened."

Gregory knew that Matheson was irritated, but he refused to back down.

"No I'm not twisting your words. You don't want to admit it, but you are blaming Val because she went out without you and talked to another man, which could have started out as being perfectly innocent. I think I see the problem here. I've been wondering all along what was going on in that head of yours, and I think I've finally figured it out. You're scared shitless. Admit it!"

"What?" Matheson replied surprised that it appeared that his father, who didn't want him to marry Val in the first place, was now taking her side!

"You're afraid." His father continued. "First, things didn't work out with you and that girl Ivy; and before Ivy, things never worked out for you and any other women you've been involved with. Your relationships have never lasted longer than a few months. I never could figure it out. Now you've latched on to Valysia. You seem to have fallen madly in love with her overnight. You find out she's a virgin and suddenly, you're in a mad rush to get married. Now that some other man has put his hands on her or whatever he did-she's now damaged goods that you don't want anymore."

"That's not true." Matheson replied angrily, jumping up from his seat. "I love her! "

"Oh really? " Gregory replied unconvinced. "Then what's the problem?"

Matheson was quiet for a moment and then sat back down. "There are just some things I have to figure out."

"Like I said, you're scared shitless." Gregory concluded.

"I'm not scared" Matheson protested.

"Alright, Son." His father replied seriously. "So tell me why you want to change the date."

Matheson stared at his father. "You would never understand."

"Try me"

Matheson sighed and looked at his hands. "I just feel that, since she went to that club while I was away, that perhaps she went there looking for something….something that I wasn't providing. Maybe she feels that I'm lacking in some way, and since I was out of town, she used the opportunity to go out and seek what she needed from someone else."

Gregory raised an eyebrow. "Why on earth would you think something like that? Has she seemed dissatisfied, or has she been holding out on you sexually? Before this incident, did you feel that you weren't satisfying her? Did she seem unhappy?"

"No" Matheson confessed. "I thought we were very happy."

"Then explain yourself." Gregory pressed. "You were out of town…her cousin invites her out to a night on the town, or whatever. So what? What's wrong with that? They go to a club, where some guy tries to take advantage of her and she leaves the club and goes home alone. Sounds as if she did the right thing to me. Why, then, are you so upset? Don't you realize that, if there was anything to it, she'd have never told you in the first place? In fact, if she hadn't said anything at all, do you think that you would have ever found out what happened to her? I doubt it."

Matheson didn't reply. What his father had said made sense. How would he have known anything if Val hadn't told him? He doubted if Tameka would have said anything to him about it.

"Son, I only want to help." Gregory continued, seeing that Matheson was thinking about what he had said. "What you say here stays here, between us. Man to man, I'm your father. You've got to trust me. What are you really upset about? You've never seemed like the overly possessive type. The fact that she resisted temptation should count for something."

"He was black and I was wondering if, perhaps, she wanted to find out what it was like to be with a black man. "He confessed.

Gregory's mouth went slack. Surely Matheson didn't buy into the stereotype of black men being superior studs in the bedroom!

"God, Matheson! Don't tell me that you believe all that bullshit about Mandingo warriors and extra large penises?" Gregory replied, surprised at his confession. "Do you really believe that Val would do such a thing? Do you seriously think that she wanted to compare you to a black man?"

"I just know that, with my history, I'm not always up to par and women want a man that can get the job done." Matheson continued. "You say you have always wondered what the problem was with my relationships. In the past, I have not always been the man that they expected, and you only get so many chances with a woman. I know that on more than one occasion, I haven't been up to par."

"No man is always up to par, Matheson." Gregory sighed. "That's where love kicks in. If a woman loves her man, she understands that he can't always be at his best. When it happens, you talk about it. You take corrective action. There's no doubt in my mind that Valysia loves you. Remember that night you fainted? She came into my office the next day and manhandled me and then burst out crying. I gather that you weren't at your best that night. Val didn't seem upset about your physical attributes or your sexual experience. She was concerned about your health."

"Sometimes it seems that things are just too good to be true." Matheson replied. "I keep waiting for the ball to drop. Things have been going so good between us, I feel at times that it is not going to last."

Gregory looked surprised. Why was Matheson doing this to himself? "Don't you feel that you deserve to be happy?"

"Of course." Matheson replied. "However, in the past, happiness has always eluded me."

"I don't think it's fair to Valysia that you're carrying your baggage from your failed relationships and dumping them on her. Let the past stay in the past."

"That's not what I'm doing." Matheson replied, defensively. "You didn't want me to marry her in the first place, remember? Now all of a sudden, you're singing her praises? I would expect this from Ma, but I never expected you of all people to respond like this."

Gregory stood up and put on his suit jacket. "You're right. I was totally against this wedding, but not for the reasons you're putting it off. I didn't want you to marry a black girl. I admit that I was prejudiced, and wanted you to marry white. I was against it, until I saw how happy you two were and how much you two loved each other. "

He walked around the desk and put his arm around his son as he stood up. "All your mother and I ever wanted for you was to be happy…like we're happy."

Matheson chuckled. "Everyone can't be happy like you and Ma."

"You have to work at it." Gregory said. He leaned closer to Matheson. "You love her, don't you?"

"Of course." Matheson said as they walked out of the office. "I just don't know right now if I can trust her."

"Look, before I met your mother I was head over heels in love with this girl named Daria." Gregory said. "She cheated on me every chance she got and I was blind to it all. She didn't even have any regrets when I found out, other than the fact that she had gotten caught. At that moment, I realized that she really didn't love me. Can you say the same about Valysia? Do you feel that she doesn't really love you?"

"No. I know that she loves me." Matheson admitted.

"Take my advice son." Gregory said, as they exited the building. "You need to talk to her about your feelings and insecurities and then move forward. Communication is the only way a marriage is going to work. Now, when can we expect you two to come over for a visit?"

Matheson walked over to his car. He looked back at his father, who was watching him.

"Soon." He replied smiling.

                                                 ((***))

Tameka stared back at her reflection in the mirror. It had been two weeks since her attack. The bruises were fading, and she covered what was left of them with makeup. On the outside, she looked like her normal self, but on the inside, she was a bundle of nerves.

She had stayed with Val for a week, and she couldn't help but notice that her cousin appeared depressed. She had not seen Matheson, and he did not come to Val's apartment while she stayed there. She knew that their estrangement was partly her fault, but she didn't know that it would turn out like this.

She wanted to tell Val the truth, but she was afraid. Val and Mavis had been so kind to her. Her own Grandmother had shown her absolutely no compassion and if she lost Val's friendship while she was still dealing with her feelings about the rape, she didn't know what she'd do. What a sorry mess! She should have never listened to Matheson's grandfather.

Val had been quiet most of the time while she was staying with her, and she went to work and returned to check on Tameka immediately after work. She hardly ate anything and Tameka had caught her crying on several occasions. Mavis had been over and had prepared some soup for her since her mouth was sore. Her own grandmother had only berated her for allowing such a thing to happen to disgrace the family. She didn't even have any sympathy for Tameka and had not even called to check on her recovery.

Unable to deal with the guilt that was suffocating her, she told Val that she wanted to go home to her own bed after she began to feel better. She had to think about what she was going to do and how she could fix the mess she had created.

Detective Grant called her cell after she returned home and told her to come down to the station to pick the bogus David Jarrod out of a lineup. She called Val and told her, not wanting to go to the police station alone. Val had insisted on going with her and she was surprised that the police had actually caught the guy.

It turned out that the man that claimed to be David Jarrod was actually a former trainer for the team named Bernard Holby. He had been fired from the team because he had sexually harassed another player's wife. David Jarrod had testified against him which was why he had used his name. Tameka left the police station as quickly as she could; glad that the ordeal was temporarily over though she dreaded the thought of going to court.

Several days after she returned home, she was surprised when UPS knocked on her apartment door. She quickly signed for the package and took it inside. She opened it and found a neatly wrapped blue box inside the large cardboard box that had been shipped to her. She opened the blue box and was shocked to find that it contained cash and a note.

"I know we agreed on $25 thousand, but you deserve more. I've enclosed $35 thousand. Enjoy!"

Tameka knew that the note was from Matheson's grandfather and she now wondered if he had anything to do with Bernard Holby being at the club that night. She remembered that the cops had said that he had a large amount of cash on him when they'd arrested him. She threw the box of money in her nightstand drawer. She didn't know what she was going to do with the money now. She really didn't want it anymore. She had taken FMLA at work and could use the money since she wasn't working, but she couldn't think about that now.

She fell asleep on the bed, and did not know how long she had lain there when she felt her phone vibrate.

"Hello?"

"Hello there young lady. I assume you got my package."

"I got it" Tameka responded.

"You don't sound happy. Wasn't it enough?"

'I was raped at that club that you told me to take her to, Mr. Hendricks. Did you have anything to do with that?" Tameka asked raising her voice.

"What makes you think I had anything to do with that, girl? You need to pick your men more carefully." He snapped back at her unsympathetically.

"You never told me what you were planning. You only told me to get Val there. If you had that man put something in her drink like she thinks, then you could have also had someone there to rape me." Tameka hissed accusingly.

"You flatter yourself. I wasn't the least concerned about you.
" He replied unmoved. "I just wanted that cousin of your to be caught with another man. I hired Matthew to come onto Val and his pal Bernard to take the pictures even though when I saw them I realized that what he took wasn't very good."

"Bernard? Are you talking about Bernard Holby?" Tameka snapped. "He was the man who raped me."

"Not my fault." Matheson's grandfather replied.

"Not your fault?" Tameka shrieked. "It is your fault. You paid those men to come there! You told me to bring Val to that club!"

"Look, girl! You were paid and paid well. Don't start crying to me now. It's my understanding that my grandson and your cousin are now estranged, which was my ultimate goal. Is that information correct?"


"How would you know that?" Tameka asked suspiciously.

"I pay my informants well" he replied. "You had better keep your mouth shut! Your hands aren't clean in this, either, you know."

"You told me that all you wanted to do was take a few pictures of her in the club dancing with someone else. You didn't say anything about drugging her and trying to get that guy to sleep with her."

"What do you care about the details? You were paid well, weren't you?"

"What about what happened to me?" Tameka said crying. "I'm still trying to recover-"

"Stop your bawling and grow up! If you play with the devil, you should know you might get burned" William Hendricks snapped. "I checked you out too, Missy. You're loose as a goose. You've slept around, and I'll venture so far as to say that you don't care who you screw; so don't get all puritanical with me now!"

"I never asked to be raped." Tameka said, accusingly. "He beat me-"

"What do you want, another ten thousand?"
William Hendricks asked, interrupting her.

"Go to hell!" Tameka replied slamming the phone shut and throwing it on the bed.

                                                ((***))

Val hated to return to her empty apartment. At least with Tameka being there, it gave her something to do so that she wouldn't think about Matheson.

He called her the very next day after she had left Tameka's apartment to tell her that he wanted to postpone the wedding for a few months. She wasn't surprised, and didn't argue with him. She hadn't heard from him since.

She knew that she needed to give him time, so she didn't press the issue. She told her grandmother about the postponement and Mavis hadn't questioned her further which surprised her. Val knew that her grandmother was preoccupied with her brother Langston and she was grateful for that. She knew her grandmother well enough to know that she would bring the subject back up at a later date.

Val missed Matheson terribly, and since Tameka was no longer there to fill the void she realized that she was also lonely. There had been a time when she had spent many hours alone, after working all day; reading and doing other things. She didn't think that she could go back to being the way she was before Matheson came into her life. Being with him had changed everything.

She began straightening up the apartment, even though it was already tidy. Emily had called her and invited her to lunch, but she had given her a lame excuse and begged off. She didn't want her getting in the middle of things.

There was a knock on the door and she looked at her watch wondering who it could be. It was Friday evening, and she wasn't expecting anyone. She looked out of the peephole and didn't see anyone. She opened the door and was surprised to see a crystal cake dish with a whole chocolate cake on it. A yellow sticky note was stuck on the cake dish.

"Forgive me?"

Val looked around but didn't see anyone. She looked in the parking lot and didn't see Matheson's car, but she knew that the cake was from him. She picked it up.

"Matheson?" she asked looking around.

He then came from around the side of her apartment. He held a bouquet of multicolored roses and a carton of almond milk.

"You didn't answer the question." He said, looking at her seriously.

"Only if you forgive me. I made a stupid mistake." she replied happy to see him.

He walked over to her and her heart skipped a beat. He was so handsome, his ocean eyes wary. He still had on his baker's uniform; he must have just left work.

"I love you, Val." He confessed. "It scares me how much I love you."

She opened the door wider, and he walked in. She took the flowers from him and put them in a vase. He followed close behind her, setting the almond milk in the refrigerator.

"I've been miserable these last two weeks." He confessed turning to her.

"Me too" she replied. He walked out of the kitchen back into the living room and sat down on the sofa. He patted a spot beside him and she sat down.

"Matheson, I don't want anybody else. You've got to believe that-"

"I know…I was…in fact I still am insecure, Val. I guess that's why I reacted like I did. I'm sorry."

Val looked at him surprised. "Matheson! What have you got to be insecure about?'

"Us…I wonder, sometimes, if I'm all you'll ever want. I wonder if you will leave me for someone else."

"Why on earth would you feel that way?" Val asked taking his hand. "I love you, Matheson. Only you. I thought you knew that."

He looked down at her hand in his. "I've always had to deal with some degree of sexual dysfunction, Val. I've been impotent from time to time. You know I've had my issues…premature ejaculation-"

"Matheson, do you think that's all I want from you is sex?"She asked cupping his face in her hands. She had to make him understand. She gave him a quick kiss. "Whatever problems you have, they're my problems too. Sex isn't the total sum of any real relationship."

"I don't kid myself, Val. Sex is important-"he replied looking away from her.

"But we've been fine!" she protested, interrupting him.

"But for how long? I mean, as soon as I get a little stressed out at the store, things are bound to happen. I'm going to have performance issues. It's always been that way for me."

"And because of that, you think that I'll stray? Don't you trust me, Matheson?" she asked, looking at him. She could see the fear in his eyes, and it disappointed her.

"I want to, Val, but no woman has ever put up with my problems for very long. When you told me that you were going to the club, I started to wonder if some man would come along and take you from me."

"That's not going to happen, Matheson" she replied.

"Val, I want to believe that. I guess I got scared, and then when you told me what happened, I felt threatened. I started to wonder if whatever attracted you to him was something that I was lacking."

"I don't need a spiked drink for you to turn me on, Matheson. I can't say the same for him." She replied, smiling.

He returned her smile. "I guess I never thought of it that way. I apologize for being such a prick. I want to make it up to you."

She looked at him coyly. "Oh really? How do you plan to do that and what about our wedding date? We have to set another one, you know."

"Who have you told? Have you notified the vendors?"

"No. I thought you were doing that"

"Well, I haven't told anyone but my parents, so let's just get married as we planned."

"But, Matheson," Val protested. "That's a week and a half away. We haven't even been to our counseling sessions at the church. I did tell Reverend Williamson that the wedding has been postponed. I don't know who my Grandmother has talked to."

"Call him back." Matheson insisted. "Tell him that we want to get married as planned."

"He's going to think we're crazy!" Val protested.

"Well then let me call him." Matheson said pulling out his phone. "Give me his number."

Val watched, astonished as Matheson smooth talked Reverend Williamson about the change; telling him that it was all his fault- because he got cold feet- and that he really wanted to marry her on the date that they had originally given him. He hung up the phone, grinning.

"Reverend Williamson wants to see us in an hour."

"An hour?" Val shrieked. "We can't see him in an hour-"

"It's all set." Matheson insisted. "If we want him to marry us, we'd better keep the appointment."

"Matheson this is crazy!" Val protested.

"I know. I'm the crazy one, and you drive me crazy. We'll talk about all that at the counseling session." He replied, happily. "If we hurry, I can run home and take a quick shower."

"What about the cake and almond milk?" She asked snickering, as she grabbed her purse, overjoyed at the turn of events. "What about your promise to make things up to me?"

"We'll celebrate when we get back!" Matheson said over his shoulder, as he headed out the door, with Val following close behind.

Chapter 37 Education and Compensation by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson reflects on his good fortune.  Hannah makes a confession.

Education and Compensation

Matheson listened to the steady sound of Valysia's breathing. He knew that she was sound asleep. His body was exhausted, but his mind was still wide awake, attempting to process all that had happened to him that day.

His meeting with his father the prior day had surprised him. If he had ever doubted the depth of his father's love for him, his perspective had changed considerably after that conversation in his office. Gregory had even called him that night and encouraged him not to dwell on the aspect of not being able to perform sexually, but to concentrate on the relationship he had with Val.

Matheson had then made up his mind to talk to her, to tell her everything, and to seek her forgiveness. When he did, it was if a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He had confessed his insecurities to her on the way to their counseling session and she had listened intently without passing judgment. When he had first approached her with her favorite chocolate cake, the roses and the almond milk, he wasn't exactly sure how she would respond. Things had turned out much better than he had expected.

The meeting with Reverend Williamson had been very productive. Reverend Williamson had been the pastor of the church for forty years. He was seventy years old, and full of wisdom. Matheson remembered him from his childhood, when Mavis used to take him with her to church. He could still recall the day that he went to the altar for prayer, and Reverend Williamson had put his hand on his head and prayed for him. He had immediately felt heat rush over his body as the Reverend prayed, and Matheson had begun to cry, though he hadn't understood why. Matheson remembered that the congregation had become excited and that he'd heard a voice in his head telling him that he was loved. All of it had been confusing and overwhelming for a six year old boy, yet he knew that he could never forget that day. He recalled leaving the church feeling special because Reverend Williamson had told him that Jesus had indeed touched him.

The counseling session had gone well, with Reverend Williamson telling them the duties and responsibilities of marriage. He'd then instructed them to come back for their second session on Monday. It was only when they'd left the session that Matheson had realized that he was truly exhausted. He had been working fourteen-hour shifts for the last six days, and it was taking a toll on him. The rush of adrenaline he'd felt when they had first made up had worn off, and he had ached all over.

He'd told Val that he was tired, and asked her to drive. Matheson had immediately recognized the concern that was on her face. She'd then drove him back to her apartment, insisting that he stay over for the night. He hadn't argued with her, and had done as she'd suggested. They'd showered together, but while his mind had wanted to make love to her, his body would not cooperate. It was a familiar dilemma, and he had been deeply ashamed.

"This is what I was afraid of." he'd told Val, not meeting her eyes as they left the shower. He had wondered what she would do, how she would respond. Would she become angry at him? Would she openly show her disappointment, her scorn?

"Matheson, you've been working like a dog. Don't beat yourself up about it." she'd responded.

Her words had been little comfort for him. Impotence made him feel like less of a man. He felt that lots of men worked hard, and were still able to take care of business. It was times like these that made him feel like a failure, and he had told her as much.

Her response had been to make him lie on the bed after their shower together, and she had massaged his muscles. She'd kept telling him that she loved him, and that it wasn't about his performance. She had told him that she wanted to just express her love for him. She had then proceeded to kiss him as she continued to massage him. She'd insisted that he relax and she'd told him that under no circumstances, even if he got an erection were they going to have intercourse that night.

He had tried to relax once she'd told him this, as the pressure to perform decreased, somewhat. He had attempted to relax and take what she was offering him. Her hands had been everywhere, and so had her lips. She'd kissed his eyes and his nose. She'd massaged his scalp as she kissed his chin. She had run her tongue over his lips before kissing him deeply. She'd licked his ear, while gently pinching his nipples, which had sent shivers over his body. She'd seemed to be everywhere at once, and he had kept his eyes closed as instructed and relaxed as much as he could.

Matheson hadn't really expected her to do anything with his flaccid member, but she had cradled it lovingly in her hands and then taken it into her mouth. The suction of her mouth and the dancing of her tongue on him had made him quiver. He'd instantly become hot and aroused, even though he hadn't been erect, which was something that he hadn't quite understood. He'd opened his eyes and watched her. She'd smiled up at him as she had continued to kiss and massage him; and she'd then taken his scrotum, and had begun sucking gently. He had only been semi-hard then, but he had felt as if he were going to explode. There had been a war going on between his mind and body. He had wanted to be inside her badly, but he had known that he couldn't penetrate her, at that point.

He had risen up off of the bed, moaning her name, as she had continued her sensual assault; her hands kneading, and her tongue, wet and hot, her lips soft and caressing, had elicited responses and feelings from him that he had never before experienced. He had found himself unable to keep still, as her tongue and hands left a burning trail of fire. She'd then found his perineum, which had caused his whole body to slowly relax, as her tongue had explored the sensitive area. No woman had ever sucked his balls before, and certainly no one had ever put their tongue so close to his anus- as she had done -causing him to moan uncontrollably. Never had he felt like this, so aroused, yet not erect; so hot and so loved. After a few minutes of attention in that area, she had returned to his member and he'd soon felt himself being drawn toward orgasm, even though he still hadn't achieved a full erection. The orgasm had been unexpectedly intense and immediately thereafter, his penis had returned to its totally flaccid state. She had kissed its head, and then laid down beside him.

Val had kissed his lips, grinning impishly. "Now go to sleep!" she'd instructed, turning out the light before she'd turned her back to him and nestled close to him, with her butt against his stomach. He had been perplexed by her behavior.

"Val, what about you?" he'd asked amazed, that she was ready to go to sleep. "I can go down on you- in fact I want to-" he had stammered, not willing to just take what she'd offered. He had felt that he had to do something, after that mind-blowing experience.

"Sorry, no thanks." She'd murmured.

"Why not?"

"Matheson, tonight wasn't about pleasing me. It was about you." She had replied. "I didn't do this to receive. I just wanted to give. Take my gift, and go to sleep."

She had turned over and faced him. He hadn't been able to see her expression, but he had heard the love in her voice. "I love you, Matheson Hendricks." She'd whispered. "Whether you are the number one stud, or whether you are at what you perceive to be your worst, I still love you. You need to have that confidence in me and in yourself; that whether you can fuck me senseless, or not give me anything at all, my love doesn't change. Do you understand that?"

He had been quiet for a moment. "I…I guess so" he'd ventured. "I want to believe that."

"Good!" she'd replied, kissing him again, and then turning back over. "Good night."

Now he lay in the dark, listening to the sound of her steady breathing, totally relaxed. If he didn't know any better, he would think that she had been totally satisfied. Even though she hadn't received anything from him, she did appear perfectly content. Never had he been in this situation before. He pulled her closer to him and kissed her shoulder. He heard her mumble in her sleep, and he closed his eyes. Matheson sighed, feeling relaxed and content for the first time in weeks. He couldn't wait until he was married to this incredible woman.

                                            ((***))

Val awoke to the smell of bacon, and her mouth began to water. She sat up in bed and realized that it must be Matheson cooking. The clock on the nightstand said that it was after ten. She got up, put on her robe, and went to find him in the kitchen.

"Hey there, Sleepyhead." he said, grinning from ear to ear. "Today we have bacon and eggs, hash browns, corned beef hash, and pancakes. For your drinking pleasure, we have coffee and orange juice."

"It smells delicious!" Val remarked, pulling up a stool to the island. "I wasn't expecting all this. I doubt I could eat it all, anyway. Did you go to the store? I didn't have all this in my fridge."

Matheson sat a plate in front of her. "Yes, I went to the store. You were sleeping like a log." He then sat in front of her with a plate of his own. "I wanted to surprise you." He said.

Val smiled at him. "I'm surprised."

She quickly took his hands in hers and said a prayer. She then began eating the plate of food he had given her.

"So, do you have plans for today?" he asked.

"I'm afraid I do." Val replied. "I didn't know you were coming over. I have to meet Grandma." She smiled at him between forkfuls of food. "I hope you aren't disappointed."

"Not at all." Matheson replied. "I have a few things to do myself. Maybe we can get together this evening. My parents have been asking about you."

"I'd love to see them." she replied.

Matheson left Val's apartment, after they had cleaned up the kitchen together. He would have loved to take her back to bed, but Mavis was expecting her. No matter. He was off for the rest of the weekend, and he knew that when he returned to her, he would be ready.

He drove back to his condo and decided to relax. He hadn't risen that morning as early as he normally did, but he had a habit of waking up at five and this morning wasn't any different. It was at that point that he decided to get up and prepare breakfast. It was the least he could do. He walked in the door of his apartment and noticed that his mail was piling up where he had thrown it each evening when he came home, too tired to open any of it.

He gathered it up and took it to his bedroom, sitting on the bed to go through it. He noticed an eight-by-ten envelope with no return address. Curious, he opened it and was surprised when several photos fell out.

He was surprised when he saw that they were pictures of Val in the club. One picture showed her with a man. Matheson guessed it to be Matthew, the guy who had spiked her drink. She was smiling, and he had his hand on her knee.

Madison felt a nerve began to tick in his jaw. There was another one with Matthew kissing her on her neck, while his hand appeared to be under her skirt. The final picture was of the two of them dancing. All three of the pictures were of poor quality and very grainy, but there was no mistaking their content. Matheson became filled with anger all over again, but then thought of his night with Val. It had been so wonderful, so special. He quickly tore up the pictures and threw them in the trash. It was all coming together, now. The pictures proved to him that someone was trying to sabotage their relationship. The man- Matthew -must have been some sort of plant, whose sole task was to seduce Val while someone else took the pictures.

His thoughts went quickly to Tameka. Maybe she could shed some light on this situation. He hastily searched through his dresser for the card he had confiscated from Val. He hadn't thrown away the card with Matthew's number on it, since he had toyed with the idea of confronting the man.

He didn't have Tameka's number, but he knew where she lived. He got up, and after finding Matthew's number, decided to give Tameka a visit. He grabbed his keys and walked out of the door.

Fifteen minutes later, Matheson pulled into the parking lot of the apartment complex where Tameka lived. He looked around for the red Ford Focus she drove, and spotted it parked nearby. Several men were watching him from the corner as he got out of the car.

"Hey, man." one of them called, approaching him. "What you need?"

Matheson was surprised, and realized that the man was offering him drugs.

"Nothing, thanks." He replied, locking his car.

"I got the best." the man persisted. "If you don't want to score, then why you here? Are you slumming or something?"

"Just visiting a friend." Matheson replied, walking off.

The man looked at him, and then looked back at his black BMW.

"Yeah, I bet."

Matheson felt the man watching him as he climbed the steps to Tameka's apartment.

Tameka was shocked when she opened the door and Val's boyfriend was standing there.

"Hello, Tameka." he said. "May I come in?"

"Sure." Tameka said, opening the door wider.

She led Matheson into her living room, and he sat down.

"What can I do for you, Matheson?" she asked, nervously. She wondered if he had found out her part in what had happened to Val. How could he have found out?

"I want to talk to you about what happened to you and Val at the club." Matheson explained. "I have reason to believe that the meeting between her and that man Matthew wasn't just a chance meeting. I believe it was some sort of setup. If that's true, then your rape may also have been premeditated."

"What makes you think that?" Tameka asked, nervously wiping her hands on the side of her pants.

"Someone sent me several photos of Val and that man in the club. Needless to say, they were very incriminating photos, and I am sure they were sent to me to ensure the end of our relationship."

Tameka stood up. "Do you have any idea who would do such a thing?"

"I have my suspicions." Matheson replied. "Did you see anyone taking pictures at the club while you were there?"

"I try not to recall that night. I still have nightmares." Tameka responded, evasively.

Matheson walked over to her and put his arm around her shoulders. "I'm so sorry. I know this must be hard for you. I can't imagine what you've been through."

His gesture took her totally by surprise. Tameka suddenly felt overwhelmed and began to cry. It was just too much! She thought about the nasty things William Hendricks had said to her, and now his grandson was behaving in a totally different manner.

She didn't know what she was going to do. She felt that she was the cause of Matheson and Val breaking up, in the first place. "It's all my fault!" she cried. "I was the one who insisted on going to that club-"

"It's not your fault-" Matheson insisted.

"But I caused you and Val to break up-"

"We're back together again." Matheson said, smiling at her. "We're together, and the wedding is going on as planned. Our relationship is stronger than ever."

Tameka stared at him in disbelief.

"You…you're back together?" she asked wiping her eyes.

"Yes, so don't be blaming yourself. This is not your fault." Matheson continued. "I have the number of that fellow, Matthew, who was with you at the club. I need to talk to him, so I want you to do me a favor."

"What?" Tameka asked, still trying to decide whether or not to tell Matheson her part in all of this.

"I want you to call him, pretend that you are Val, and ask him to meet you. I'll give you an address to send him."

Tameka tried not to panic. "It'll never work." She insisted. "He probably knows what happened to me, and will think that it's some sort of setup!"

"How would he know what happened to you, unless he was in on it, Tameka?" Matheson reasoned. "I believe that the guy that attacked you most likely doesn't even know this guy Matthew. There were a lot of people in the club that night, right?"

"I guess" Tameka replied slowly. She wasn't going to debate that fact with Matheson. He had no idea that Holby and Matthew were working together, and she wasn't about to be the one to tell him!

Tameka didn't know what to do. Should she tell Matheson everything, or should she just play along?

She took the card from Matheson's hand and dialed the number, as he requested.

"Hello?"


"Matthew, this is Val." Tameka lied.

"Who?"


"You know, Valysia. We met at the club several weeks ago, remember?" Tameka said watching as Matheson wrote on a piece of paper things he wanted her to say.

"Oh yeah, Val. How's it going? I wasn't expecting to hear from you ever again. What about that fiancé you told me about?"

Tameka read what Matheson had scribbled on the paper. "Oh, we broke up."

"Really?" Matthew replied, clearly interested. "Well, his loss is my gain. Why don't we go out tonight?"

Tameka looked at Matheson, who was still writing.

"I'd like that" she replied slowly, as she read from the paper. "But I can't go out tonight. Why don't you let me buy you lunch today?"

"I like a woman who believes in equality!"
Matthew replied, laughing.

Tameka gave Matthew the address that Matheson provided, realizing that he had planned on meeting Matthew at Hannah's.

"What are you going to do?" Tameka asked him, after she closed her cell.

"I'm going to meet him, and we are going to have a little talk" Matheson replied.

Tameka tried not to panic. "What do you hope to find out? Is this really necessary?"

"Oh, yes it's very necessary." Matheson said angrily. "I want to know who set you and Val up and I won't rest until I get to the bottom this mess. You were raped and Val was drugged! Whoever masterminded this mess is going to pay and pay dearly!"

He walked across the room, heading for the door, and Tameka tried to remain calm.

"Matheson! I don't know if this is such a great idea! What if he gets violent?" she hedged.

Matheson turned to her, his face a barely concealed mask of rage. Tameka didn't know that much about Matheson, and she had only seen him a few times, but never had she seen him like this. "Matheson, think for a minute! What if he does admit to drugging Val? You don't need to lose your cool and end up in jail! What about your upcoming wedding? What about your future?"

Matheson looked at her, and his face softened a bit. "Don't worry about me; I will control myself. However, just to be on the safe side, give me the name and number of the detective, who's handling your case, I want to fill him in."

Of all the things she expected him to say, this was the last thing she wanted to hear. If Matthew talked, it would tie back to William Hendricks. Would Matthew then give her up to Matheson and Val? If she didn't come clean, she knew that Val would never forgive her. However, if she did come clean, then neither of them would ever speak to her again. She would just have to take her chances.

"Look Matheson," she said slowly, her mind racing. "How will you know he's telling the truth? He's liable to say anything. He may even say that there was no drug, and that Val was all over him. He may say that I asked for what I got, or that I must be the one who drugged Val. Who knows what he could say! After all, if I had never suggested that we go to the club that night, none of this would have ever happened."

"That's ridiculous!" Matheson replied. "Val and I both realize that this isn't your fault. Most likely, he had been tracking her for quite some time, saw an opportunity to take advantage of her, and acted on it."

He walked to the door, and Tameka didn't try to stop him. "Thanks for the help." He replied, smiling at her. "And by the way, call your cousin. She's worried about you."

Tameka closed her eyes and heard him shut the door. She felt that she was sinking deeper in the quagmire of lies and deception she had created, and wondered what in the world she was going to do.

                                                     ((***))

Hannah waited in the hotel lobby, somewhat anxious about her date with Emilio. She had given Matheson Emilio's card when her nephew came to visit several weeks earlier, but she had failed to tell him that she had already called Emilio and asked him out, six weeks before. They had been going out quite often and she was beginning to rack up the frequent flier miles. She could still remember the night of their first date, which was several weeks after they first met.

Never had she approached a man before, and a part of her had hoped that he would reject her offer, so that she wouldn't have to go through with it. She had been somewhat surprised, however, when he had told her that he did remember her, and that he would love to go out with her. She hadn't told him that she was in Florida and that she would have to catch a plane to Baltimore. He would have most likely thought that she was either a nut, or a desperate spinster, for sure.

She recalled waiting in the Fabulous Steak & Shrimp Restaurant a week after her call to him, and wondering if he would show up. She had caught an early flight and checked into the Omni Hotel, wondering if she could really go through with it. She hadn't called her brother or Matheson. They would probably have said she was crazy...well maybe not Matheson.

The restaurant had been quite busy on a Friday night. She had worn aqua top and black slacks, and she had hoped that Emilio would approve.

Hannah had spotted him when he walked into the restaurant, and watched as he was led to her table.

"Hello" he had said, smiling at her.

"Hi" Hannah had said nervously.

Emilio had pulled up a chair and sat down. "I must say that I was surprised when you called." He grinned at her, showing perfectly white teeth. "It's been several weeks since we first talked, you know."

"Yes, that is true" Hannah had admitted. "I..I just couldn't get up the nerve to contact you."

"And why is that?" he'd asked, reaching across the table and covering her hand with his.

Hannah had blushed deeply. "Normally a woman doesn't ask the man out." she admitted. "Plus, you look somewhat younger..." She had allowed her voice to trail off as the waiter approached their table.

"We may be closer in age than you think." Emilio replied, laughing. "I doubt if you asked me out because of my age, now did you?"

Hannah had smiled. He was so handsome and he had a voice that reminded her of that actor that played Puss in Boots...Antonio What's-His-Name. His Hispanic accent only made him sound even sexier over the phone than she had remembered him being, in person.

Matheson had been right. She needed to live her life and take some risks, and nothing was riskier than going out with sexy Puss in Boots.

Six weeks...she had been seeing him for six weekends in a row. Tonight, he had asked if he could pick her up and take her out instead of her meeting him at a restaurant. She had finally told him that she lived out of town, and that he would have to pick her up at her hotel.

She watched as he walked into the lobby carrying a vase with pink roses. Her heart skipped a beat.

"Hello, Hannah" he said, walking over to her. He handed her the vase of flowers and kissed her on the cheek. "I hope you find these acceptable." He said, smiling.

"They're beautiful." she replied. "I've got to take them back to my room."

"Of course." he agreed.

He walked with her to the elevator and followed her up to her room. She walked into the suite and put the vase on the dresser.

"This is very nice." Emilio said, looking around.

"Where are we going tonight?" Hannah asked, smiling.

Emilio stared at her with an expression on his face that was unfamiliar to her. "Where do you want to go, Hannah?" He asked, his voice low and husky.

Hannah's mouth felt as if it was full of cotton. He walked over to her, and the scent of his cologne invaded her nostrils. He was looking at her like...well, he was looking at her! Before she could think of what to say, he pulled her into his arms and kissed her. They had kissed before, but this kiss was not like the goodnight kisses they had shared previously. His mouth strayed to her neck and she felt his hand on her breast.

"Mi Carino…"she heard him whisper as he continued to kiss her.

"I want you, Hannah." he was saying, through the haze of fog that now filled her brain. She heard him speaking low in Spanish, but didn't understand what he was saying. Hannah couldn't think straight. What was she supposed to do now? She hadn't expected this to happen, even though she knew that it was possible that he would desire her. What was she going to tell him, that she was a sixty year old virgin? Would he laugh in her face?

"Emilio, I...don't know what to say." she said, pulling away from him and walking across the room.

He stared at her a moment. "I gather, from your protest, that the feeling is not mutual?" he asked. "We've been seeing each other for a while, now. My daughter is asking me where I am going every weekend. What do I tell her, Hannah? I want more from you than just one date on Friday night."

"Emilio, I'm sorry" Hannah replied, still stunned. She watched as his face fell, his disappointment obvious.

"I see. I have misread you, Hannah. I was hoping for more. Perhaps you were not looking for more than friendship. I apologize." He then turned and headed for the door.

"Emilio, wait." Hannah gasped, as she watched him open the door.

He turned to her. "Yes, Hannah?"

"I want more than friendship from you." she admitted. "It's just that..."

"What?" he asked, closing the door and walking over to her. "Is there someone else? Are you ashamed to introduce me to your family? Why do we continue to meet like this? I am a family man, Hannah. I work hard. I am only a laborer, and not a rich like your family. Is this why you are ashamed of me?"

Hannah sat on the side of the bed. "I'm not ashamed of you, Emilio. I'm still shocked that you are even interested in me."

Emilio looked amused. "What man would not be interested, Hannah? You are a beautiful woman. You know this. We are older adults, we are not teenagers. Let us not play games."

Hannah tried to hold back the tears that threatened to fall. "I'm not playing games, Emilio and I'm not ashamed of you. I'm ashamed of myself. It's just that I have never been in a romantic relationship before."

Emilio stared at her in disbelief. "What are you saying, Hannah? Surely you have dated. Surely you've been in love before?"

Hannah shook her head and didn't reply. She avoided looking at him directly. Surely he must think that she was some sort of freak.

"You are a virgin, no?" he asked, sitting next to her on the bed. "Is this why you are ashamed?"

"Yes." she admitted, as the tears began to fall. "I feel so foolish."

"There is no need to feel foolish." Emilio replied, wiping her eyes with his handkerchief. "Are you afraid of men?"

"No, I'm not afraid." she replied. "No man has ever wanted me before. I dedicated my life to teaching and helping others. I used to wear long, dark dresses, my hair was long and grey, and I wore it in a bun. My nephew changed all that. He told me that I needed to change my appearance, and I did as he suggested."

Emilio reached up and brushed her hair back from her eyes. "Ah, so you color your hair? It is very becoming. Your eyes are the color of the sea, my Hannah. You would be an easy person to love."

Hannah looked down at her hands. "I'm sixty years old. I'm old; My body is old."

"I am fifty-three." Emilio replied, taking her hand in his. "See, there is not that much space between us."

Hannah smiled. "I guess not. Do you really want to be in a relationship with me?" she asked looking hopeful.

"I do not say what I do not mean" Emilio replied. "My family is asking questions. I told them that I would bring you to meet them, soon. I will not rush you. I will take my time. The first time for anyone is supposed to be special."

"I do not want to wait." She confessed, looking at him. "I have waited much too long already. I want to know what it's really like..." She lowered her voice to a whisper. "I want to know what its like to make love."

Emilio leaned over and kissed her, and for some reason, she immediately thought about Emily and what she had told her the day that Hannah had caught her and Gregory making love in the hallway.

"There's a man out there for you somewhere, Hannah. Why don't you stop being a sour pussy and go out there and find him and fuck him senseless."

For the first time in her life, Hannah wanted to take Emily up on her suggestion.

 

Emilio

Chapter 38 Coverup and Conflict by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Tameka has an unexpected encounter.  Emilio changes Hannah's plans.

Cover-up and Conflict

Tameka could not get the conversation with Matheson out of her mind. She thought about him and Val and was happy that they had gotten back together, despite her own selfish attempts for financial gain.

She and Val had grown closer since the incident, and it reminded her of the time when they were young girls. Tameka had called Val as Matheson instructed. Val's concern for her mental well-being only heightened her guilt about what she had done. She hadn't realized how much she missed their camaraderie until their fateful night out on the town. Tameka being a few months older had always been able to convince Val to go along with her escapades. She hadn't had many friends, and Val had adored her. The two had been best buddies, much to their grandmother's dismay.

Tameka hadn't liked it when her grandmother made fun of Val, and remembered telling her so, when she was younger. She had received a slap in the mouth for her efforts, and had hesitated to bring it up again. She hadn't been able to understand her grandmother's rage. So what if Valysia was dark? Val was smart…smarter than Tameka, in fact! They'd been like two sisters, but her grandmother had been determined to drive a wedge between them, and she had eventually succeeded. Ethel Chamberlayne continued to point out that Tameka was pretty, while Val was ugly. She was light skinned, and Val was dark.

Her words had crushed Val, which had made Tameka angry and hostile. She blamed her grandmother for their eventual separation, however, hers and Val's relationship had improved somewhat after they had both graduated from high school. Val had always been on guard around Tameka, since Ethel had convinced her that Tameka had been making the same ugly comments that she had been making. Tameka had felt that Val didn't want to associate with her and that Val looked down on her.

Valysia wasn't aware of it, but their grandmother had been equally mean to Tameka when she was a child, since Tina, Tameka's mother, was constantly leaving Tameka in her grandmother's care. Tina had never spent time with her daughter, and had thrown the responsibility of raising her onto her mother, which had made Ethel angry and resentful. Ethel, in turn, would take out her frustrations on Tameka, calling her worthless and stupid. She'd made ugly comments about her large breasts when, at eleven, Tameka had developed ahead of other girls her age. With the development of her ample bosom, Tameka's grandmother had begun to tell her that her mother was a slut, and that Tameka would end up being just like her. Tameka's mother had only shrugged her shoulders when Tameka, hoping for some love and comfort, had repeated back to her mother what her Grandmother had told her. Tina accused her of whining, and had told her to just get over it.

Tameka felt that she had now become a self-fulfilling prophecy, since, by the age of fourteen, she'd often found herself seeking love and attention from men to replace the love she longed to obtain from her mother and grandmother. It hurt her deeply that neither of them would tell her who her father was and she felt that was why she had turned to men for the affection she couldn't receive at home.

Val had been appalled when Tameka confided in her that she was sexually active, and it had severed the last remnants of their lifelong relationship. The then thirteen year old Valysia had told her cousin that her actions "grossed her out," which had deeply hurt Tameka's feelings. She had felt that Val had thrown her away, just like the rest of the people she loved. There was no one who loved her; not Val, not her mother, and certainly not her grandmother.

Now, at age twenty eight- her mother being forty nine -nothing had changed. Tameka tolerated her grandmother, because negative attention was better than no attention at all. Her mother was still hanging in the clubs, chasing men, as she had done for as long as Tameka could remember. Only now, she was also sleeping with men her daughter's age, which disgusted Tameka. Tameka felt that her mother most likely didn't even know who her father was, and she had long ago given up trying to get the truth, as her mother's story changed constantly.

Tameka couldn't explain why she was still seeking her grandmother's approval by chasing after Val and Matheson, and doing whatever she asked her to do. Deep down, she knew that nothing she did gained her any love from the woman. She wished that she could be strong, like Val, and just cut her grandmother off…but she had no one else. Her mother had recently run off to California with some boy half her age, and hadn't even had the decency to tell Tameka she was leaving town. She hadn't bothered to call her daughter since she had left, and Tameka didn't have any idea where she was; if her Grandmother knew, she wasn't sharing the information. At least Val had Matheson.

She walked over to the nightstand and removed the package with the money. Seeing it now bothered her immensely; she knew that she had to get it out of the house. She made up her mind that she was going to give it to Val and Matheson, and tell them everything. Maybe they would forgive her. Maybe, if she begged their forgiveness, Val would listen to her explanation. She had to go to her counseling session that day, and she felt that confessing everything would help her on the road to recovery. She hadn't slept well since the rape.

She put the package in her bag, and headed out of the apartment. She walked over to her car, and was so deep in thought that she did not see someone walk up behind her. She felt something press into her back, as someone grabbed her by the arm.

"Come with me." The man growled. "We need to talk!"

Tameka tried to turn around, but immediately her face was covered with something that reeked of a chemical, and she lost consciousness.

She awoke disoriented and confused, looking around and wondering where she was. She glanced at a clock that was on the wall in front of her, and realized an hour had passed. She then looked around the room, but did not recognize her surroundings.

An older white man in a dark suit was sitting in a chair, watching her. She did not recognize him.

"So you're awake." He said gruffly.

"Why am I here? What do you want?" Tameka gasped, realizing that she was tied to the chair she was occupying. "Let me go!"

"All in good time." The man responded gruffly. "I have a few questions for you."

He held up the package from her purse. "What exactly, may I ask, were you going to do with this? The banks are closed today, so don't tell me you were going to the bank." His voice was hard and filled with anger.

"What business is it of yours?" Tameka snapped back at him. "What are you trying to do, rob me?"

The man threw the money and her purse at her, hitting her in the chest before they fell to the floor. "That was your money for a job well done. You ought to have been grateful! Mr. Hendricks wants to be sure that you plan on keeping your mouth shut. He wouldn't like it if you implicate him in this. Things could go bad for you if you start running your mouth!"

Tameka stared at him, and didn't reply. So, William Hendricks sent him! What was he planning on doing with her? She tried to remain calm, even though she was fighting not to hyperventilate.

"What do you want with me?" Tameka asked, fighting to remain calm. "Why are you following me?"

"We want to be sure you understand that Mr. Hendricks expects you to hold up your end of the bargain." the man replied. "After his last conversation with you, your responses left him feeling a bit doubtful about your ability to keep your mouth shut." The man replied.

"Sure, whatever." Tameka replied with more bravado than she actually felt.

"Frankly, I agree with him. I don't believe you'll keep quiet." the man said, pulling out a syringe. "Which is why I am going to have to cash in my insurance policy."

"What's that? What do you plan to do?" Tameka gasped, fighting the fear in the pit of her stomach as he approached her.

"Don't worry," the man said, sticking her with the syringe. "This is just a little something that will help you to forget a few things."

"I won't forget anything!" Tameka snapped, feeling the effects of the drug he injected.

"Oh, but you will." the man replied confidently. "This drug will cause you to forget at least the last couple of weeks of your life…permanently. "

Tameka started to speak, but was unable to do so. Her eyes became heavy, and in a few minutes, the main grinned triumphantly as he watched the drug take effect, rendering her unconscious.

                                              ((***))

Matheson sat in his office and waited. There was a knock on his office door, and he looked up as it opened.

"He's here." Gary said, sticking his head through the door.

Matheson got up from his desk and walked out onto the floor. He saw Gary nod towards the front of the store where he saw the man- Matthew -sitting at one of the tables and walked over to him.

"Sir," Matheson said, approaching him. "Are you Matthew?"

"Yes." Matthew replied, eyeing Matheson curiously.

"Miss Chamberlayne would like to see you in our private dining area. " Matheson stated in his most formal voice. "If you will follow me, I will take you to her

Right this way, Sir"

Matthew followed Matheson back to his office. Before he realized what was happening, Matheson quickly shut the door and locked it.

"What's this all about?" Matthew asked, looking around the office

"Have a seat." Matheson replied. "The two of us need to talk!"

"Talk? About what?" Matthew replied angrily. "Man, I don't know you! Where's Val? What's do you want with me?"

"You may not know me, but I know you." Matheson replied, trying to remain in control, even though he wanted to smash Matthew's face in. "You're the punk that tries to seduce young women in clubs by spiking their drinks." Matheson spat, barely able to control the rage he felt.

"What's wrong, Matthew? You can't get a girl without some additional help?"

" I get plenty of women! What's it to you? You don't know anything about me." Matthew spat angrily.

Matheson quickly grabbed him by the throat. All of his hard work in the bakery had given him additional strength; his muscles bulged as Matthew struggled against him. Matthew was a big man, but Matheson was stronger- fueled by adrenaline and his barely controlled rage.

"I know that you are a degenerate!" Matheson hissed. "Val is my fiancé; you attempted to take advantage of her, and I don't like it. What I want to know is, who hired you? What did you need the drug for, unless you were told by whoever paid you that she would resist your advances? Who paid you?"

"No one!" Matthew replied, struggling against Matheson's grip on him.

Matheson pressed his body against Matthew's, pinning him against the wall and preventing his escape. "Wrong answer!" he snapped, as he increased the pressure on Matthew's neck, cutting off his oxygen supply.

Matthew began to flail his arms trying to get loose from Matheson, but it was a losing battle.

Matheson saw that he was losing consciousness and let him go. Matthew began coughing uncontrollably, and tried to get to the door, but Matheson stopped him.

"I'll ask you again." Matheson said, shoving Matthew back against the wall. "Who hired you?"

"I…don't know exactly. " Matthew lied. "I was approached by another party to do this for his boss. That's all I know."

"Who?" Matheson hissed, twisting Matthew's arm behind his back. "Tell me"

"He contacted me, calling himself 'Green,' and he told me that his boss was a 'Mr. J.'" Matthew replied. "All of our contact was by phone. I had a gambling debt, and he offered to take care of it for me, if I did this job for his boss. I figured someone must have sold my mark to Mr. J."

"How do you get in touch with him?" Matheson snapped angrily.

"By cell phone." Matthew replied grudgingly.

Matheson snatched Matthew's cell from his belt. "Give it to me!" he growled, handing him the phone. Matthew quickly gave him the number.

"One final thing;" Matheson said, turning to him as he unlocked the door. "Did you drug Val, or not?"

"Yeah, but I didn't do that until later on that evening. She was ripe and ready, even before I made my move." Matthew replied mockingly.

"Liar!" Matheson growled.

"Man, she was dripping for me and you can't fake that!" Matthew chuckled, realizing that he had touched a nerve. "Obviously you must not be taking care of business. Your girl was horny as hell, and she let me play in that pie."

Before he could think, Matheson punched Matthew in the face, sending him flying backwards.

"Get out!" Matheson hissed, his voice low. "Get out before I kill you!"

Matthew got up and rubbed his jaw. "It ain't my fault if you can't control your woman." Matthew snapped, walking out of the office.

Matheson slammed the door behind him.

                                                   ((***))

William Hendricks hung up the phone, pleased with the way things were going. He had known that Tameka would be a problem, after their last conversation, and had taken the appropriate measures to ensure her silence.

Her rape had not been part of the original equation, but when it happened, he knew that he had to do damage control. While the drug he had obtained was illegal in the US, he'd had no problem getting what he wanted. He had been told that the drug was very effective in erasing a person's memory, which was what he felt Tameka needed in order to keep her quiet. Hell, he was doing her a favor. She wouldn't even remember her rape, and could go on as if nothing had happened. He smiled to himself and patted himself on the back for tying up loose ends.

It had been tricky adjusting the dosage, which controlled the degree of memory loss. His contact had assured him that the recommended amount should erase two to three weeks of her memory. He had also arranged for her to receive a mild blow to the head and be discovered by a 'Good Samaritan,' who would then call an ambulance and say that they had found her at the bottom of the steps of her apartment. It was a brilliant scheme, and no one would be the wiser.

He smiled to himself. Of course, since she wouldn't remember anything about him and their agreement, he would have to reclaim the reward money he'd given her. He was glad that she'd had it on her person when she was questioned, to preclude anyone needing to search her apartment.

Just then, his cell rang and he answered it.

"What do you want?" William Hendricks snapped, clearly irritated when he saw the number on his cell.

"Sir, I have some bad news!" Matthew was saying on the other end of the line. "Your grandson and the girl are apparently back together."

"What?" William snapped. "When did that happen?"

"I don't know. He lured me to the Hannah's downtown- I should have known that it wasn't a coincidence. He then assaulted me, wanting to know who hired me to seduce her. You were smart to give me a red herring to throw out in case I needed it."

"Does he think that you did it to pay for a gambling debt?"

"Yes. I believe he fell for it" Matthew replied.

"Good." William Hendricks said, relieved. "I'm coming to Baltimore to see my son. I'll get to the bottom of my grandson's reunion with that woman. He must be a fool for sure, to take her back after she cheated on him."

"What are you going to do?" Matthew asked.

"Don't you worry about it." William Hendricks replied. "I think it's about time for you to get out of town, before something else happens. That fool Holby should have learned to control his urges. Whatever possessed him to rape that girl, in the first place? She's nothing but a tart anyway, so he didn't have to do that! He could have gotten what he wanted from her without raping her! He almost botched things up! He went too far, and now I've had to take care of his little problem and mine. With no memory, there is no court case. He'd better be glad that I'm so forgiving and accommodating!"

"What else do you want me to do?" Matthew asked.

"Just get out of town!" William snapped.

"Yes sir." Matthew replied.

William hung up the phone and sat back in his chair. He hadn't anticipated Matheson being so forgiving. He hadn't done so with the other women he'd been involved with! What was it about this girl that he didn't care that she cheated? He'd find out soon enough, when he returned to Baltimore.

                                                ((***))

Hannah hung up the phone from checking her messages. No one had called. No surprise, there. She debated on whether to go home that afternoon, as she normally did, or to stay the entire weekend.

She wished that Emilio had spent the night with her, but he had told her that he needed to go home to his daughter. She looked in the mirror, now that she was no longer a virgin, and concluded that there were no visible changes…except, maybe, the grin on her face. She giggled at her reflection.

She had been nervous, and Emilio had been very patient with her. She'd felt silly telling him that she had never seen a man naked, except in pictures, and he had undressed and walked back in forth in front of her as if he was a model.

"You like, no?" he'd asked, winking at her.

She hadn't been able to control herself, and had broken down in a fit of nervous giggles. She'd then quickly composed herself, and said in her most serious voice, "Well Sir, that thing looks dangerous to me!"

He had then come over to her, holding "it," and said "It is. It is dangerously delicious. You want some, no?"

That's what she liked about Emilio. He had a comeback for everything she threw at him, plus he had a sense of humor.

She had looked at him seriously as he stood before her, and tried not to focus on that part of him. "I don't really know what to do." She had replied, avoiding his stare. "I feel so stupid. You'll have to tell me what to do."

"You do what you want." Emilio had responded. "I have watched you these past weeks, Hannah. You like to take control sometimes. You have ordered for me in the restaurant; you have taught me things. Sex is no different. You explore, you experiment. You try things. You are not the type of woman to lie back and just take what I offer."

"You have more confidence in me than I do." she had replied, standing up. "Doesn't it bother you that I'm taller than you?" She didn't like looking down on him, which is why she had remained seated on the bed.

Emilio had laughed. Hannah was a full head taller than he was, but that didn't bother him in the least. In fact, he liked it. He had cocked his head and grinned up at her. "People are the same height in bed, no?"

Hannah had laughed at that, and sat back down. As he stood in front of her, she had reached out and gently grasped his member, eliciting a groan from him. He had then bent down and kissed her.

He had been gentle with her, and she would even say he had taken extra care. He'd moved painstakingly slowly, and part of her had wanted to snap at him to get on with it, but she'd held her tongue. She had been somewhat disappointed when it was all over, but she hadn't had the heart to tell him so. After all, it had been her first time, and maybe she had to get used to it. She'd been able to tell that he had tried to please her.

"Are you alright, Hannah?" he had asked her when it was over.

"I'm fine." she had lied.

"You are not fine," Emilio had replied patiently. "But that is OK. It was your first time. It takes time to learn a person and what pleases them. You will have to learn what pleases you and tell me what to do."

It had seemed like a tall order to Hannah. How could she tell him what to do, when she didn't know, herself? She had enjoyed his attentions, but something was missing. He had been so careful, so sweet, yet his actions had grated on her nerves a little. What was wrong with her?

Emilio had gone home about his usual time, but not before making love to her a second time. It had been better than the first time, but she still hadn't been satisfied, even though she had felt that he had tried to do all he knew how.

She now concluded that perhaps she was just too old to enjoy good sex. She sighed and stood up from her musing, deciding to shower and to go shopping before she caught her plane back to Florida, later that afternoon.

Shortly after her shower, there was a knock on the door. She exited the bathroom in her robe, and was surprised to see Emilio standing there when she cracked the door.

"What are you doing here?" Hannah asked, shocked. "I thought you had to work today."

"I do." Emilio replied, after she removed the chain and opened the door. "I just wanted to ask you if you must leave Baltimore today. I want to convince you to stay."

"I already have my ticket, Emilio. You could have called me to ask me this." Hannah replied, folding her arms across her chest and pushing the door shut. Secretly, she was glad to see him.

"I know." he replied, taking her in his arms, grinning. "I wanted to see you."

"So, now you see me." she teased, pulling her robe tighter and walking across the room. "I'll be back next week."

He followed her and grabbed her by the belt of her robe, causing it to come undone.

"Stop it, Emilio!" she shrieked, pulling the robe back together.

"Take it off, Hannah." he replied calmly, his voice deadly serious.

"I thought you had to go to work." Hannah replied, stalling. She didn't want to see his disappointment when he saw her body in the light of day. "There's no time for any hanky panky."

"There is always time for, as you say, 'hanky panky.'" Emilio replied, staring at her. "Why do you not wish for me to see you naked? Are you ashamed of your body? Last night you cut out the light. You hid under the covers. I do not like you doing this, Hannah!" He replied, his voice accusing.

Hannah fidgeted with the belt for a moment and pulled the robe tighter, sitting on the bed. Her breasts were full and sagged a little. She felt like a cow, and dreaded the disappointment she anticipated seeing in his eyes, once he viewed them in the daylight.

"You don't understand," was all she could muster, not wanting to meet his gaze.

"Explain." Emilio replied, walking over to her. He watched as she pulled the belt tighter.

"I told you that my body…it's not perfect." She whispered, avoiding his eyes. "My breasts…they are large, and now they sag without a bra. My thighs and butt have cellulite. I know that it is not attractive."

Emilio roughly pulled her to her feet. "I do not like this part of you, Hannah. I do not like your insecurity. You hide your body and you criticize it. Why do you say these things?"

Before she could recover, he roughly pulled her over to the full length mirror that was in the room. He then snatched the robe open. "Now take it off." He commanded. "You are a very bad girl for trying to hide. Perhaps you need a spanking, no?"

Hannah looked at him, feeling herself become excited at the prospect of a spanking, though she didn't understand why. She slowly began to remove the robe, and he impatiently pulled it off her shoulders and threw it on the floor. He then cupped her breasts and pinched her nipples as she watched him in the mirror.

"You will not speak like this to me ever again." Emilio replied seriously, looking at her reflection in the mirror while he cupped her buttocks. "You are beautiful. Your breasts are beautiful. I do not care about imperfections; we all have them. Do you understand me, Hannah? You will not speak to me this way ever again!" His voice was commanding and firm, which excited her more.

"You will not spank me. That's just an empty threat." She snapped back at him, unsure as to why this conversation was so arousing. She stared back at his reflection in the mirror defiantly, her pulse racing.

"I will spank you and you will like it." Emilio teased gruffly.

Hannah didn't understand why, but the playful sternness of his voice, along with the mental picture of his threat dancing around in her head and his rough actions of a few moments earlier, excited her in a way that his soft caresses hadn't been able to the night before. She couldn't explain it. Now she wanted to antagonize him a bit more, as she felt her arousal increase.

"Who are you to order me around?" she replied sarcastically, her breathing labored. She turned to him and grabbed him roughly by his shirt. "So you like sagging breasts? That's a first! Next you'll be telling me you like my grey hairs down below too!"

Emilio stared at her, realizing that something had changed with Hannah in an instant. She had a hunger in her eyes now that she hadn't possessed the previous night. He could see that she wanted him, yet she was deliberately picking a fight. He knew instantly what to do.

"I will order you around, and you will like it. I am the man here!" he replied gruffly, snatching her hands from his shirt and grabbing her by the wrists.

Hannah laughed mockingly and jerked away from him, walking across the room. "If you are so much of a man, then show me, otherwise get out! I have things to do!"

He came over to her and pushed her back against the edge of the bed. "My actions are better than my English, Hannah Hendricks!" he chuckled. "I can see that you are a fighter. I am happy to oblige." Emilio pulled her to him and roughly kissed her before pushing her back on the bed.

Hannah watched anxiously as he began to undress.

"I think I'm beginning to understand you, Hannah" he said, climbing on the bed and grabbing her by her leg. He covered her body with his. Hannah struggled against him, and he began to kiss her breasts.

"You like a fight, no?" he murmured. "I can handle you, Hannah."

"No man can handle me!" Hannah declared, struggling and moaning as he held her down, his mouth moving lower.

"Ah, this we will see." Emilio chuckled. "You stopped me last night from tasting you, but I will now get what I want and you will like it." He quickly lifted her legs over his shoulders. "You will give me what I seek today, no?"

"Let go of me!" Hannah snapped half heartedly. "I don't want this!"

"Your mouth lies, Hannah." he replied, unconvinced. "You are very wet…much wetter than last night, no?" He began kissing her thighs. "I think I like your lumps and bumps and your gray pussy hairs."

"You're vulgar!" she hissed, even though she was getting hotter by the minute.

"Is it vulgar to lick the kitty as it meows to me, Hannah?" he asked mockingly. "It calls to me and I must answer."

Hannah couldn't respond as his mouth found her, sending a rushing wave of heat over her body. She had been afraid of him looking at her. Now, he had her totally open and exposed for his viewing. His tongue was probing her sensitive flesh, and she couldn't contain the moans that were escaping her throat.

Emilio chuckled triumphantly at her responses. "Talk dirty to me, my Hannah. Tell me to lick the kitty. Tell me you like it or I will stop, and you do not want me to stop, no?" Emilio asked, pausing from his torture. "Today you will cum on my mouth, my Hannah. Your fighting will help you to cum for me, no? You did not cum last night, but today I will get my reward. Your very wet kitty betrays you, Hannah! You like me eating it, no?"

"Bastard!" she snapped, as he had stopped his torture, watching her as she wiggled in his grasp. The things he was doing with his tongue and lips were driving her over the edge.

Emilio chuckled again, and blew his breath on her most sensitive flesh. Hannah moaned as he teased her clit with the tip of his tongue. She had only looked at herself in a mirror- "down there" -only once, when she was a teenager, out of curiosity.

Now, he had her legs spread apart, unladylike, and he was exploring her. She could see him watching her from between her legs as he held them apart, spreading her open, kissing, licking and sucking. He paused every now and then and gave her a wink and a grin. Whatever modesty she had possessed before was now long gone. He seemed to be enjoying the fact that he had her totally exposed and vulnerable, embarrassing her with his descriptions of her most private area.

"Your clit is very big and stands at attention, my Hannah. It is hard and aching and demanding." he murmured. "You will say what I require, or I will continue to tickle it with my tongue." He then made good on his threat and returned to his torture.

Hannah groaned in defeat. His teasing tongue was driving her crazy, and her center was aching in a way that it never had before. She longed to feel him inside her, which surprised her. His tongue continued to tease her sensitive nub, while her center ached for attention from that special part of him.

"Please, Emilio" she begged. She didn't want to tell him to 'fuck her,' as she had heard Emily say once, but at least now she understood why Emily had made the demand from her brother. Emilio's tongue was torture, and if he didn't give her what she needed soon, she felt as if she would go crazy.

"Yes, my Hannah?" he asked patiently. "Is there something you want from me?"

"Do it." she whispered, not wanting to ask him directly.

"Do what, Hannah…say it!" he demanded. "Do not be ashamed to tell me what you want."

"Lick the kitty" she said, finally giving in to his request. She lowered her voice along with her pride. "Please fuck me."

Hannah gasped as he chuckled and then spread her with his fingers, probing her with his tongue. It felt as if she was melting from the inside out, and she could feel the wetness run down her buttocks. She could feel herself being drawn towards something as her body involuntarily arched upwards, but he would always stop short, frustrating her.

"Will the kitty purr back at me, Hannah?" he teased, raising his head and grinning at her. "Will you cum for me?"

"I don't know…" she confessed, embarrassed at her need for him.

"I think you do." He replied. He took her sensitive nub between his lips, sucking gently and then inserted two fingers inside her. She felt her walls grasp greedily at his fingers. Finding the sensitive bundle of nerves he sought, he caressed them with his fingers. The resulting spasms caught her totally off guard, consuming her, and Emilio was pleased to feel the spasms from her orgasm on his fingers as she called out his name several times.

"You are mine, Hannah Hendricks" he said, releasing her limp body. "I am going to enjoy taming this body of yours. I must go now, but tonight I will give you more."

Hannah looked at him, surprised. He couldn't be serious about leaving now. "I thought we were going to…you know..." her voice trailed off.

"Yes Hannah?" he asked, raising an eyebrow as she watched him dress. "Did I forget something?"

She still ached for him, more than she had the previous night, but didn't want to tell him, because she didn't understand it herself.

"I want you inside me" she confessed finally.

"You said no hanky panky, remember?" he reminded her, zipping his jeans.

"How can you just leave me like this?" she spat angrily.

"Like what, my darling?" he asked innocently. "Do you need some dick? You should have told me earlier. Now you will have to wait. I have to go to work, as you have already pointed out to me."

"Asshole!" she hissed clearly frustrated.

"Tsk, tsk my Hannah." he said smiling. "How else could I be sure that you would not run off and leave me for another week? I have to be sure you will be here when I return. I will think of the sweet taste of your kitty while I work. You will think of what I have in my pants, that you ache for, no?" He walked over to the door, opened it, and then turned back grinning at her.

"I may not be here when you return!" she snapped at him. "I have a plane to catch."

"I have something you want, my Hannah. You will not leave me." He replied confidently. "I will see you tonight, no? Promise me that you will not tear my clothes off and hurt me too bad when I return, will you Hannah? I promised to bring you to meet my family. I must return home presentable after I come to get you."

"Bastard!" she snapped, realizing what he had done. How could she leave now? He hadn't mentioned that bit of information about taking her to meet his people! She silently cursed and wanted to get up, get on a plane, and leave as scheduled; but her aching center was talking back to her telling her to stay. "Bastard!" she hissed again, glaring at him as he grinned at her.

Emilio chuckled at the anger he saw on her face, realizing he had won this battle, and quietly shut the door behind him as he left her.

 

Chapter 39 Suspicion and Revelation by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson investigates.  Hannah meets the family.

Suspicion and Revelation

Matheson dialed the number that Matthew had given him, unsure of what exactly he was going to say if anyone answered. The voicemail indicated that the man's name was Leo Greene and it instructed him to leave a message. Matheson hung up, not sure how he should proceed from this point.

He pulled out the card that Tameka had given him from Detective Grant and decided to give him a call. Perhaps he could get some guidance from him. Damn! Another voicemail. He quickly left a message and asked the detective to return his call.

Frustrated, he decided to double back to Tameka's. Maybe she could remember something else about that night. He had hesitated in questioning her earlier because of her trauma. He now decided that he would tread carefully, but he would try to talk to her some more.

He pulled into her parking lot and spotted her car. Good! She was home. He quickly climbed the steps to her apartment and knocked on the door. No one answered, and after a few minutes of persistent knocking, he figured she must have gone out. He then remembered her saying earlier something about an appointment some time that day. Well, if she had gone to her appointment, why was her car still here? He speculated that perhaps Val had come by and taken her, or maybe her grandmother.

Suddenly, he heard a car come to a screeching halt as he stood at Tameka's door, contemplating his next move. He looked over the banister into the parking lot below, thinking that someone must have come close to a collision. He watched, shocked, as a dark van's sliding door opened and something or someone was pushed out. It was a moment before Matheson realized that it was a person that was on the ground, before the van quickly backed up and then pulled off. Matheson could see that it was a woman, even though she was face down. The car circled the parking lot and appeared to be returning to the spot where she lay, when the driver spotted Matheson as he ran down the stairs. By the time he reached the bottom of the steps, the van pulled quickly out of the lot. Matheson was about to get the license plates when he heard a moan from the woman. His attention diverted, he walked over to her and was shocked to discover that it was Tameka.

He realized that she was unconscious, and quickly dialed 911. The ambulance was there in record time, but it seemed like an eternity to Matheson. Who could have done this? Could Holby be out of jail and have decided to come to her apartment for revenge? He was immediately filled with rage, but tried to control himself as the medics began asking him questions. He tried to remain calm as they quickly put Tameka into the ambulance. Matheson picked up her purse, which was on the ground, got in his car, and followed the ambulance. He wasn't sure how Val was going to take this latest development.

As he pulled into the Emergency Room of Good Samaritan Hospital he felt his phone vibrate. He quickly answered it, and discovered that it was Detective Grant returning his call. He briefly explained the situation with Tameka and asked him to come to the hospital. He stared at the phone a few moments longer after hanging up, and decided to wait to call Val until he knew something more on Tameka's condition.

There was a flurry of activity in the emergency room, and several nurses began asking him questions after they took her to the examination area. A doctor came out and told him that it appeared that Tameka had been drugged, and asked him if he had any idea what that drug could be. The questions were coming at him at rapid-fire pace, from several of the hospital staff, and Matheson could not answer most of them. He was glad when they left him alone, and he sat in the Emergency waiting room trying to get his thoughts together.

                                                ((***))

Val was surprised to find Langston at her grandmother's apartment when they returned from shopping. Her grandmother had told her that she had to be back home by 3pm, but she hadn't questioned her. Now she knew that she had been expecting Langston, and it irritated her a bit that they had to cut short their time together because of him.

"Hello Langston." Mavis said, grinning as she spotted him sitting in the lobby waiting for her. Val watched as her grandmother walked over to him and gave him a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek.

They took the elevator to Mavis' apartment, and Val could tell that her Grandmother was aware of her irritation, but she didn't care at the moment. Mavis opened the door to her apartment and they walked in. Val noticed that Langston had a briefcase, and wondered if he was only stopping by on his way to another appointment. She hoped that his visit would be a short one.

"I hope you weren't waiting long." Mavis said, smiling. "Can I get you something to drink?"

"No, I'm fine." Langston replied. "How was the shopping trip?"

"It's just good to get out every once in a while." Mavis responded. She looked over at Val, who wasn't saying anything, and Langston followed her gaze.

"I hope I'm not intruding on your time together." he said, smiling at Val.

"Not at all." Mavis said, when Val didn't reply. She knew her granddaughter was a little jealous of the time she was spending with Langston. She watched Val as she took the packages to the kitchen, and then returned to sit down across from them.

"We have a surprise for you." Mavis said to her, grinning. She sat close to Langston who looked at his sister for confirmation. He nodded at Val while he took Mavis' hand in his.

Mavis smiled at the startled look on Val's face. She hadn't talked to Val about her newfound relationship with her brother. Val had been preoccupied with Matheson and with Tameka. She hoped that her granddaughter would be accepting of Langston and his family.

"So tell me" Val said without any enthusiasm.

"Langston and I are writing a book." Mavis said proudly. "We're writing about our parents' relationship."

"It's going to be called 'Langston and Lilly a Love Story'' Langston said, looking at Mavis and then back at Val. "We've gathered quite a bit of information from both of their writings, as well as the diary of Emily's mother."

"Langston's daughter...my niece, Rowena is helping us." Mavis replied, grinning.

"Grandma, are you sure this is a good idea?" Val asked, trying not to reveal the irritation she felt. It had just been the two of them for so long, and now Langston had wiggled his way into her grandmother's affections. She watched them, holding hands and grinning like two mischievous children. Somehow without her knowledge, the two of them had grown closer and were thick and thieves. Her grandmother seemed happier and at peace. Val thought that Mavis appeared more content with Langston than she had been with her since Val's mother died and it angered her. Val knew that her feelings were selfish, but she couldn't help it. She looked at Langston. "What does your family think about this?"

"The only one that matters is Rowena, and she supports me 100 percent." Langston replied. "Your grandmother and I are working together, and we already have a publisher who's interested."

"Well that's nice." Val replied with hardly any enthusiasm.

"VaLysia, what's wrong with you?" Mavis asked, eyeing her.

"Nothing, Grandma." she replied, not meeting her eyes.

Langston cleared his throat. "Well Mavis, I've got to be going."

"Nonsense!" Mavis replied. "We haven't had lunch. Why don't we all go out and get something?"

"I don't want to intrude." he said, eyeing Val.

"You won't be intruding, will he Val?" Mavis asked, looking at her.

"Of course not." Val said reluctantly, looking at Langston. "Please come. Maybe we can go back to Panera Bread." She wanted to remind her grandmother that not too long ago she had been terrified of this man! She needed to get a grip!

She watched as Mavis laughed, patting Langston on the knee. "I'd like that. That's where we first met. That's a perfectly wonderful suggestion, Val."

"I wasn't so sure you'd want to remember that day." Langston replied, shaking his head. "You were pretty upset."

"Yes, well I'm not anymore." Mavis replied, getting up and noticing Val's sour expression. "Val, can you help me a moment in my bedroom?" She turned to Langston. "Just let me freshen up a bit, and we can go."

"Of course." he responded.

Val followed her grandmother into the bedroom and shut the door.

"Alright, VaLysia. What's on your mind?" she asked, crossing her arms across her chest.

"Grandma, you just met this man!" Val protested. "You were scared to death of him at first, and now you two are best friends? I don't get it."

"He's my brother, Val." Mavis replied. "He's a part of me...and a part of you, too. Don't you realize that? He's been able to give me peace about a lot of things concerning my past. I'm grateful for that."

She sat down on the bed, and pulled Val down beside her. "You will always be my baby." She looked at Val, who still wouldn't meet her eyes. "But you and Matheson are getting married. I'm happy for you, but I'll be all alone. Have you thought about that? I'm glad Langston came into my life."

Val hugged her. "You won't be alone, Grandma. You still have me and you have Matheson too!"

Mavis laughed. "You and Matheson will be preoccupied for a while, once the two of you marry." She patted Val on the knee. "That's the way it's supposed to be; two people in love, enjoying each other. Don't be jealous of Langston. I've filled a void in his life, and he's filled a void in mine. This book, reading all the writings from our parents and from Miss Trudy, answers a lot of questions and gives both of us the peace we seek. Don't begrudge us this."

Val kissed her grandmother on the cheek. "I'm sorry. You're right, Grandma. It's just hard to share you, when I've had you to myself for so long."

"You still have me." Mavis reassured her. "You have Langston too"

"I don't think he likes me very much." Val confessed. "Sometimes he just stares at me with those gray eyes of his. Maybe he looks at me and sees Lilly, the woman who took his father away from him."

"That's ridiculous!" Mavis said, laughing. "I don't think Langston blames you for what his father did."

They stood up, and Mavis walked out of the bedroom. Langston was sitting on the sofa with his legs crossed, reading some notes from the briefcase beside him.

"Val thinks that you don't like her." Mavis said to Langston as she walked over to him.

"Grandma!" Val gasped, horrified.

Langston looked up, surprised. "Why on earth wouldn't I like you?"

Val glared at her grandmother and didn't reply.

"She thinks its because she reminds you of Lilly." Mavis said ignoring Val's horrified expression. "She thinks that you're angry because of the time your father spent with Lilly instead of you."

"Good grief, Grandma! Have you no tact?" Val hissed through clenched teeth.

"I can assure you that I have no animosity towards you." Langston said reassuringly. "I think the mere fact that you look like your great grandmother is a fascinating anomaly!"

"You mean because I'm dark." Val grumbled. "You find it strangely fascinating that I'm dark, even though my grandmother and my parents are not!"

Langston suddenly looked confused. "I don't understand. I was merely saying-"

"You were saying that, with all the white blood coursing through my veins, I should be a little brighter Negro." Val hissed.

"VaLysia!" Mavis snapped. "That's enough!"

Langston looked at Val and then at Mavis. "I'm afraid I don't understand. I was merely saying that I think it's fascinating that you look so much like the Lilly my father fell in love with, while I look so much like my father."

He walked over to her. "I didn't mean to upset you. You're a beautiful girl. I can see why my father fell in love with Lilly. I don't understand why you would think I'd be upset because you are dark, instead of fair like Mavis. I don't see what difference it makes, or why you'd think it made a difference to me."

Val looked at Langston. "I'm sorry. I guess I'm feeling a little stressed, with the wedding and everything else that's going on."

"Of course." Langston replied, grinning. He patted her on the shoulder. "You must be excited about your upcoming nuptials. I hope I am invited."

"Of course you are, and Rowena too." Mavis responded.

"Yes, please come." Val replied. "I guess I have to meet all the new additions to my family."

She then felt her phone vibrate, and saw that it was Matheson. "Well, the groom's calling now." she said smiling as she answered the phone. "Hey, Pancake!"

Val felt all of the blood drain from her face as she listened to what Matheson had to say.

"Val, what's wrong?" she heard her grandmother say as she tried to absorb what Matheson was telling her.

"How could this happen?" Val asked as the tears ran down her face. Val sat down on the sofa, obviously stunned, her mouth hanging open.

"What's wrong baby?" Mavis asked, quickly sitting next to her.

"It's Tameka, Grandma." Val whispered in shock. "Someone drugged her and threw her out of a car. Matheson witnessed the whole thing. She's in the hospital!"

She then quickly wiped the tears that were falling from her eyes. "Matheson, I'll be right over there!" She hung up and turned to her grandmother.

"Grandma, I'm going to have to take a rain check on our lunch date." she said. "I'm going over to Good Samaritan."

"Of course, Baby" Mavis agreed. "I'll go with you."

"No, you and Langston go on to lunch." Val insisted. "You haven't eaten anything!"

"Are you sure that you don't want us to go with you?" Langston asked, concerned.

"No. Get some food into my grandmother." Val replied. "I'll call you and give you an update as soon as I know something. Give me your cell number."

She quickly put the number in her phone and gave Langston hers, before she hurried out of the door.

                                                 ((***))

Tameka could hear voices, but it was difficult to open her eyes. Her throat was dry, and she wished that she had some water. She forced her eyes open and realized that she was on a bed. She looked around, and her eyes locked with a woman who was dressed like a nurse, who came quickly over to her bed.

"You're awake!" the nurse exclaimed. "Let me get the doctor."

Tameka tried to sit up, but her head felt as if it was going to explode, so she fell back on the bed. Where was she? She glanced around the room and decided that she must be in the hospital. How did she get here? The last thing she remembered was that man sticking her with something. He'd said that she would forget everything, but she hadn't. She had better be careful. Maybe this all was some sort of trick, to see if she had retained her memory.

"Young lady, you gave us a scare!"

Tameka opened her eyes again, and saw an older man standing by her bed.

"I'm Doctor Rasch." the man said. "Do you remember what happened to you?"

Tameka shook her head negatively. Well, it wasn't entirely true. She remembered being abducted, and knew that William Hendricks was the one behind it. The man had said that her memory would be erased, but she remembered everything! Maybe the needle hadn't worked. She didn't know where she was, or how she had gotten here, so it wasn't a complete lie.

"Do you know where you are?" the doctor asked, giving her a few ice chips. She gulped them down greedily.

"I guess I'm in the hospital…" Tameka croaked, looking around. "What's wrong with me?"

"Your tox screen tested positive for a combination of zalepon, alprazolam, etomidate and ketamine. This was a dangerous combination of drugs. Did you take any of these on your own?"

"No." Tameka replied, looking away.

"I gather, then, that they were administered without your consent." the doctor responded. "Do you know who did this?"

"I don't remember." Tameka replied.

The doctor looked at the nurse and then back at Tameka. "Because of the nature of your attack, you will not be allowed to have visitors or phone calls unless you first provide them with a code that your nurse will provide for you. There is a detective waiting to talk to you."

The doctor walked out of the room, and Detective Grant entered.

"Hello, Miss Chamberlayne" he said, pulling up a chair. "Do you remember what happened to you?"

"Not really…" Tameka lied.

"Tell me what you do remember." he said, pulling out a pad.

Tameka told him about her day up to the abduction, and then told him that she had awoken in the hospital. She decided that she would pretend that she didn't remember any of the abduction, since, more than likely, William Hendricks had his spies all around. She wanted him to believe that the drugs that were given to her had worked until she could figure out what to do. Who knows? Maybe Grant was in on all of this, and was testing her to see if she had lost her memory like they wanted.

Detective Grant continued to ask her questions, getting her to repeat several times what she remembered. She had to be careful. She didn't want to tell him more than she had to. She couldn't trust him, or anybody else. Next time, she might not be so lucky, and she could end up dead. She had to be smart about this.

"Alright, Ms. Chamberlayne" Detective Grant said, standing. "I'll let you rest. You have a couple of visitors waiting."

"Who?" Tameka replied, trying not to panic.

Detective Grant studied her a moment. "Your cousin and Mr. Hendricks."

"Mr. Hendricks?" Tameka gasped.

"Yes." the detective said, eying her. "Your cousin's fiancé. You remember him, don't you?"

"Of course." Tameka replied, relieved.

"Who did you think I meant?" the detective asked watching her.

Tameka would not meet his gaze. "I..I guess I'm just a little confused and overwhelmed. So much has happened."

"Of course." Detective Grant responded. "I'll get them. Call me if you remember anything else. I doubt Holby was involved in this. He's still in lockup."

Tameka nodded and watched the detective leave the room.

                                         ((***))

Detective Grant walked over to Val and Matheson, who were in the waiting area.

"How is she?" Val asked anxiously.

"She's waiting to see you." Detective Grant replied. He looked at Matheson. "I'd like a word with you, Mr. Hendricks."

"Go on. I'll be there in a minute." Matheson said.

Grant watched Val until she was out of earshot. He turned to Matheson. "Is Ms. Tameka Chamberlayne acquainted with any of your family members?" he asked.

Matheson was surprised. "Not that I know of. Why do you ask?"

"She seemed petrified when I told her that Mr. Hendricks was waiting to see her- that is, until I actually told her that it was you -and then she seemed relieved. I gather she was thinking of another Mr. Hendricks. Do you have a brother?"

"No sir, I'm an only child." Matheson replied.

"She's not telling me everything." Grant explained. "I can tell. She's afraid of something...or someone. Holby is in jail. I need you to tell me if you know what is going on here."

"Detective, I have no idea." Matheson replied, irritated.

"You're telling me that you just happened to come by her apartment at the moment that some perp threw her out of a van? Do you have any idea who would want to hurt her?"

"No, sir." Matheson replied.

The detective studied him a moment. "Is there anything going on between you and Ms. Chamberlayne that your fiancé is not aware of?"

"Absolutely not!" Matheson snapped.

"This happened in broad daylight, Mr. Hendricks. You just happened to be there? Are you saying that no one else witnessed her being thrown from this alleged van?"

"Look," Matheson hissed. "There is nothing going on between me and Tameka. I love her cousin. You need to be out looking for the man that did this, not questioning me!"

"We question everyone involved." Grant replied calmly. "I will need you to come down to the station to give us your statement."

Matheson tried not to lose his temper. He knew that it was procedure, but he didn't like what the detective was implying. "Fine." he replied. "As soon as I check on Tameka, I'll be down there."

"I'll wait here for you." the Detective replied, sitting back down.

Matheson looked at him a moment, as if he wanted to say something, but then turned and walked towards Tameka's room. He decided that he would watch Tameka carefully. Grant said that Tameka seemed fearful before she was told that he was the Mr. Hendricks waiting to see her. Could his grandfather be involved somehow?

Matheson couldn't believe that his grandfather would actually try to harm Tameka. He needed to know just how much she remembered before she was abducted. What would be the point anyway? What would his grandfather have to gain by hurting Tameka? It didn't make any sense!

Tameka was sitting up in the bed and eyed him cautiously when he walked in the room.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, glancing over at Val, who sat in a chair close to Tameka's bed.

"A little woozy." Tameka replied.

"I can't believe all this!" Val said, holding Tameka's hand. "Meka, do you remember anything about the man who abducted you?"

"Not really…" Tameka lied. "I just remember walking to the parking lot, and then I woke up here."

"Grant said that you seemed a little upset when he told you that I was waiting to see you."

Matheson said casually. "Are you mad at me, or something?"

Tameka picked at the bedspread and wouldn't look at him. "Of course not. I was just confused, that's all."

Matheson knew that she was lying, but he didn't press her further. Now he wondered if his grandfather really had played a part in all this. Why would he come after Tameka? It didn't make any sense! Matheson considered that perhaps he was just being paranoid. However, he knew that something was going on, and he wasn't going to rest until he got to the bottom of it!

                                          ((***))

Hannah had to admit that the battle between her mind and her libido hadn't lasted very long. Her mind hadn't put up much of a fight, and she resigned herself to the fact that Emilio had gained the upper hand on her.

She spent the rest of the day shopping, trying to decide what to wear when she met his family. She decided on a pale lavender top with some white slacks and took her purchases back to her room.

She rescheduled her flight, and kicked off her shoes as she lounged on the bed.

Emilio had texted her and told her that he would pick her up at six. She tried to think of a way to pay him back for leaving her all hot and bothered. Yet a part of her was afraid that she would do something to cause him to leave her. It was all so new. No man had wanted her before. Did he really think that she had a nice body? How was that possible when no other man had noticed her that way before? Had the clothes and change in hairstyles really made that much difference? She was sure that women found him attractive and she wondered how long he would want her before he became bored and moved on. After all, she didn't have much sexual knowledge and after he had called her out because of her behavior the first time they had been together, she wondered how long he would put up with her ignorance. Hannah wondered what she could do to please him and keep him interested.

She pulled out her laptop and began doing some research. She had been a bit of a prude before, but now that Emilio had opened her eyes, she wanted to learn more about sex and intimacy. She concentrated on articles about men's sexual pleasure, particularly oral sex. She read all of the information she could find. She wanted to get it right. The internet was a wonderful thing. There was so much to learn, and they even had pictures! After reading several articles, she ventured out further and looked at a few videos and realized that she must be watching porn and she found herself blushing, but she couldn't' tear her eyes away from the screen. She didn't realize how much time had passed until her phone rang. It was Emilio.

"I'll be there in about an hour, Hannah." he said.

"I'll be ready." she replied, and then hung up the phone. She was shocked to see that it was a little after five. She quickly shut the computer down and decided to take a shower.

Forty five minutes later, Hannah answered the knock on the door.

"Hello." she said smiling.

"My Hannah." he said, kissing her. "Are you ready?"

"I am ready, but I am still angry with you." she replied, walking over to the bed to get her purse.

"I am sure that I can obtain your forgiveness" he replied, grinning.

"I don't think so." Hannah replied. "It won't be that easy."

"You are still here, no? You didn't return to Florida." he replied confidently.

"This is true." Hannah said, shutting the door. "However, I am still upset about the way you left this morning."

"I will make it up to you." he whispered in her ear as they walked to the elevator.

"We will see." she replied, trying to remain calm. Every touch- even the closeness of his lips to her ear -excited her. She tried to focus as they walked. He had his arm around her waist, and even that excited her.

Hannah had to admit that she was a bit nervous at the prospect of meeting his family. She didn't ask Emilio where they were going, or what he had told his family about her. She knew from an earlier conversation that his parents were deceased, and she wondered who she would be meeting.

She was surprised when he pulled into the parking lot of a Chinese restaurant.

"Why are we coming here?" she asked, perplexed.

"We are having dinner here with my family." Emilio replied.

"A Chinese restaurant? We're eating out at a Chinese restaurant?" Hannah asked in disbelief.

"What were you expecting, Hannah?" Emilio asked, opening the passenger door of his truck. "Did you expect Taco Bell? We like Chinese."

Hannah allowed him to help her out of the truck. Somehow, this was not what she envisioned.

"I don't know what I expected." she said honestly. "I guess I thought we would be going to your house, and that your family would be looking at me, and I'd have to eat Mexican food."

Emilio laughed. "I am not Mexican, Hannah. I told you that my father is from Barcelona, and my mother is from Argentina. Spain plus Argentina does not equal Mexico!"

"You all speak Spanish. I don't understand the differences. You all look alike." Hannah confessed. "I don't mean to sound ignorant, I just don't understand. You're all Hispanic, right?"

Emilio laughed again. "What is the difference between people from Sweden, and people from Russia, or France? They look alike too. You think that they are all white, no? People from Britain speak English, and so do Americans. British people do not speak the same English as Americans. People from Mexico don't speak the same Spanish as people from Argentina or Spain."

"I think I understand your logic." Hannah said as they walked into the restaurant. "I can see I have a lot to learn."

"I will try to be a good teacher in all things." Emilio replied, winking and putting his arm around her. "I will also try to be a good student."

Hannah could see some people waving frantically from a table, and tried to calm the butterflies in her stomach. Emilio led her over to the table, and she quickly recognized his daughter, Amaya, among the crowd.

"Hi, Amaya." she said, smiling as she walked over to the table.

"Hi." Amaya said sourly. "I thought it might be you. I thought you might be the one."

Hannah glanced at Emilio anxiously, and he appeared to ignore his daughter's comment.

There were about ten people in the group. Most were young adults, though there was one older couple. Two tables had been pushed together to accommodate all of them. Hannah nodded politely as introductions were made; everyone appeared to be friendly towards her, except Amaya.

Hannah sat down in the empty chair next to Amaya, and Emilio sat directly across from her.

"What do you do for a living?" the older woman with mixed gray hair asked. Emilio had introduced her as his Aunt, but Hannah couldn't recall her name.

"I teach French, but I'm semi retired now." Hannah explained.

"Are you a widow?" the older woman asked. "What happened to your husband?"

"I've never been married." Hannah replied, glancing across the table at Emilio.

"Where is your family?" the man next to her asked. Hannah surmised that he must be the woman's husband.

"I have family here in Baltimore." Hannah responded. "However, I live in Florida, as do my parents."

"You still live with your family?" the man asked surprised.

"No, I live alone." Hannah said, glancing at Emilio. Why didn't he jump in here? How long was she going to have to bear this interrogation?

The waiter came and took their drink orders, and Hannah was glad for the reprieve.

"Hannah's family are business owners, Tia Elena." Emilio replied. He looked at Hannah. "My aunt is very protective of me. You will have to excuse her many questions."

"Do not apologize for me, Emilio." Tia Elaina replied. "I have been after you to date, and you have refused, even though Ana has been dead for eight years. Now you date, so we wanted to meet her." She studied Hannah a moment. "We are curious as to why you are the one, after so many years. We had almost given up on Amaya getting a new mother."

Hannah didn't know what to say. She didn't realize that Emilio had been a widower for that long; their relationship was still so new. She didn't want his family thinking that things had gotten that serious.

"I was busy working." Emilio replied as the waiter set their food in front of them.

"You are still busy working." Tia Elaina shot back accusingly. "I have introduced you to several young girls who can still bear children. Amaya needs sisters and brothers. You would not cooperate. Now here you are, out of the blue, dating!"

Hannah noticed that she had stressed "young," and picked up her glass to sip her water. She wondered where this conversation was headed.

"I already have children. Carlos and Amaya are all the children I need." he replied patiently. He noticed Hannah's surprise expression. "I have a son who is in college." he said giving her a smile.

"He should be here." Tia Elaina snapped. "Carlos should see what his father is up to."

"They are testing now, Tia. He could not come." Emilio replied. "He will meet Hannah when he comes home on his break."

"So your family is well off, I assume." Tia Elaina said, studying Hannah.

"They are comfortable." Hannah said uneasily.

"They are the owners of the Hannah's bakery. The business was named after my Hannah." Emilio said proudly. "Hannah comes from a good family."

"Your Hannah?" Tia Elaina said surprised. She looked at Hannah and then back at Emilio. "Is there something you wish to tell us Emilio?"

"Not at the moment." he said laughing. "Hannah and I are just good friends, right now."

Hannah didn't see what he found so amusing. His aunt had called her old, his daughter stared at her as if she had two heads, and all the rest of his family were studying her like a monkey in a cage.

"I can understand why you made your choice, Emilio." Tia Elaina looked at Hannah. "I can see that you must have given it a great deal of thought. You have made a practical choice, I suppose."

"What do you mean?" Hannah snapped, and Tia Elaina raised an eyebrow. "What kind of choice am I?"

"You are obviously too old to bear children." Tia Elaina replied patiently, as if she were talking to a child. "You must have something to offer my nephew. Your family is wealthy. That is good."

Hannah felt her face grow hot. "Are you saying that Emilio is dating me because of my money?"

"Hannah, Tia Elaina didn't mean it that way!" Emilio replied defensively.

"A woman named after a business must have some assets." Tia Elaina replied. "You are single, and have never married. You are one these liberated women, correct? You have had many lovers, but no husband. You do what you please. Amaya needs a mother, not a woman who cannot show her how to be a good wife."

Hannah drew herself up as if she had been slapped. She wanted to bring the old biddy down a peg or two!

"Just because I have never married, does not mean I'm not a good person. " Hannah snapped defensively. "Just because I am single, does not mean that I have loose morals either!"

"Tia, she is a good woman." Emilio replied. "I think that you assume too much."

Tia Elaina didn't reply, but began eating her food. Dinner was relatively quiet. Hannah glanced at Emilio, who gave her another wink of reassurance. She turned to Amaya, who was picking at her Egg Foo Young.

"Amaya, how is school?" she asked, trying to start a conversation to ease the tension in the room.

"What do you want with my father?" Amaya asked, ignoring her question. "Don't you think you're too old for him? If you marry him, you'll be too old to do anything with me!"

Hannah gasped, glanced around the table, and saw that everyone was staring at her.

"I'm not that much older than your father, Amaya." she replied, holding her head up high. "You'd be surprised at what I can do. I know that we both like to shop."

"Well, then let's go shopping." Amaya said grinning. "You can buy me things to win my approval."

Hannah chuckled. "I hardly think a bribe is appropriate, Amaya."

"A bribe is cash." she insisted. "It's not a bribe for you to buy me things."

"If I use it to try to sway your opinion of me, then it is a bribe." Hannah insisted. "I had hoped that we would develop a friendship normally."

Amaya looked surprised. "Do you really want to be my friend?"

"Of course." Hannah replied.

"Well, we'll see." Amaya said, returning to her Egg Foo Young.

"I still believe that a young woman that can bear more children would be a more appropriate choice!" Tia Elaina stressed again, pointing her finger at Emilio. "However, you are an adult, Emilio, and I will reserve my final judgment for now."

"I appreciate that, Tia Elaina." Emilio replied, chuckling. "I am not looking for a wife, right now. If it happens, it happens. Hannah and I are still getting to know each other, right Hannah?"

"Yes, of course." Hannah replied, looking at Tia Elaina. "I've waited this long. I'm not looking for a husband, just now. If you feel that you have a younger woman that would be acceptable marriage material for your nephew, then I suggest you introduce her to him, before we become serious."

Hannah sipped her water looking at Emilio. "Let it not be said that I got in the way of true romance."

"I think you are being smart with me." Tia Elaina replied. "Are you going to allow this woman to talk to me this way, Emilio?"

"Of course!" Emilio replied, grinning. "You dish it out, you have to be able to take it, no?"

'Humph!" Tia Elaina replied, returning to her meal.

Hannah looked down at the plate of Sweet and Sour chicken she had ordered. Emilio's family was most definitely a handful, and she wondered how she would make it through the rest of the evening.

Tia ElainaAmaya Jarez

Chapter 40 Facing the Truth by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Tameka struggles. William Sr. confesses to Gregory.  Hannah is found out!

Facing the Truth

Tameka checked her messages for the third time within the last hour. She never dreamed that things would become this complicated. Why on earth had she taken that bribe from William Hendricks? It had seemed like a good idea at the time, and now her life was in a shambles.

She hadn't decided how long she would hide the truth about what happened to her. Who could she trust? She could tell Val or Matheson, but then William Hendricks would just deny it, and there was no telling what he would do to her. No, she'd have to remain quiet.

The hospital had released her several days earlier, and while she felt fine, she couldn't help looking over her shoulder wherever she went. Now she pulled out the phone and checked her messages again. She had thought that perhaps she could stay with her grandmother for a few days, until she could get herself back together, but her grandmother hadn't bothered to return her calls.

Tameka sighed, walked over to the window in her apartment, and looked out onto the parking lot. She couldn't help thinking about all that had happened to her. Now she was facing another problem. Val's wedding was less than two days away, and she knew that her cousin expected her to be there. The thought of being in the same vicinity as William Hendricks scared her to death, but she couldn't think of any rational excuse to give Val that wouldn't hurt her feelings. She didn't know what she was going to do.

The scars from the attack had faded, but the ones that she was dealing with on the inside were far worse. She had returned to work, and she wore her fake smile as people came up to her and asked how she was doing. How could she tell them that she felt dead inside? Her libido had died, and she felt that the counseling wasn't really helping her as it should. No, she had to get through this on her own.

After leaving work, she and promptly headed to the beauty shop and had them cut her hair. She needed a change. She then had it dyed a brassy auburn. She knew her grandmother would be furious, and the thought of that made her smile. She liked the short pixie hairstyle much better than she'd thought she would. After having her brows done, a manicure and a pedicure, she felt somewhat better.

The phone suddenly began to vibrate, and she quickly opened it.

"Hey Val," she said, sitting in a nearby chair.

"Meka! Are you alright? I saw that you had called, earlier." Val said, sounding worried.

"I'm fine," Tameka lied. "I was just checking in. I wondered if you were ready to call this thing off, being the nervous bride and all."

"Of course not!" Val laughed. "I'm eager to be Mrs. Hendricks." Her voice again became concerned. "What about you, Meka? Are you alright? I'm worried about you."

"Me?" Tameka replied, trying to sound calm. "I'm fine."

"Oh." Val said, sounding unconvinced. "How was your first day back to work?"

"Stressful," Tameka replied, sighing. "However, I made it through."

"Why don't you come on and go out to dinner with me and Matheson?" Val said.

"I don't know…" Tameka replied slowly. She didn't want to be the odd man out.

"Why not? What are you doing?" Val pressed.

"Nothing. I don't want to be a third wheel. "Tameka sighed. "I'm fine really. You two go on. I might just do a little shopping."

"We're going by the Crescent Mall. Matheson has to check on the store, and I was going to do some shopping while he's there. I was going to shop on my own, but it would be great if you'd come along." Val pleaded. "You know you're not doing anything. Come on, Meka!"

"Alright then," Tameka replied. "So…you sure that you're all ready for the big day?"

"Of course." Val replied. "It's just a small private wedding. Emily wanted a big wedding for Matheson, but we just wanted something small and intimate. There wasn't that much planning to do."

"So…there's just going to be the immediate family, right?" Tameka asked hopefully.

"Well if you're talking about Nana, no I'm not expecting her. Matheson's family will be there, of course. But you and Grandma and her brother, Langston, will be there. "

"I can't believe you have a white uncle!" Tameka said, laughing.

"Why is that so surprising? You probably got some in your family too, with your yellow self," Val teased.

"You're probably right. Well, if you ever hear who my father might be, let me know." Tameka replied, her voice slightly harsh.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Val asked, sounding worried. She knew that Tameka was sensitive about not knowing who her father was. "I don't understand why your mother wouldn't tell you who he is."

"That's because she probably doesn't know, herself," Tameka grumbled.

"It's got to be hard not knowing." Val said sympathetically.

"Yeah. No use crying over spilled milk," Tameka snapped. "What time do you want to meet?"

"We'll pick you up in about an hour." Val replied, still sounding concerned. Before she could question Tameka further, her cousin gave Val a quick goodbye and hung up the phone.

                                                      ((***))

William Hendricks couldn't believe that the wedding was still going to happen. He had less than forty eight hours to do something! There was no sense in talking to his grandson; he had his mind made up. He decided to visit his son at the office. Maybe there was still a way to stop this madness.

William smiled to himself. He had always been able to handle Gregory; he would listen to reason. His sources had informed him that it appeared that the Chamberlayne girl didn't remember anything! Good! She had returned to work that day, and everything appeared to be normal. At least something worked out in his favor!

He walked into the offices of Hannah's; the receptionist looked up at him and smiled.

"May I help you?" she asked.

Who was this Oriental girl? What had happened to Margaret, who had been the receptionist for years?

"Do you have an appointment with someone , Sir?" the girl asked, looking at him curiously.

William Hendricks leaned on his cane and glared at her. "Do you know who I am, young lady?" He asked.

"No sir," she replied, looking confused. "Should I?"

"I'm the founder of this company! I want to see my son!" he snapped at her.

The receptionist stared at him a moment before replying. "Your son? Do you mean Mr. Hendricks?"

"What's your name, girl?" William snapped. "What happened to Margaret?"

"Gloria," she replied, surprised. "I'm Margaret's replacement. She retired last year."

"Well Gloria, I am William Hendricks, Sr. Does that ring any bells with you?" William asked.

"Yes sir." She replied. "I'll let Mr. Hendricks know that you are here."

William sat in a nearby seat and looked around. Gregory was spending way too much money on decorations and furniture. He would have to talk to him about that, also. He watched as Gloria quickly dialed the phone and then hung up.

"Mr. Hendricks will be up in a moment."

He looked up and saw Gregory coming from around the corner.

"Pop! What are you doing here? Have you and Ma arrived already for the wedding?" Gregory asked, surprised. "I thought Mom said you two were coming in on a plane, tomorrow."

"I had some business to attend to." William replied. "We need to talk."

Gregory looked surprised, and led his father back to his office, shutting the door.

"As I said, I came early so that we can have a talk," William replied, sitting in a chair across from Gregory's desk. "I want to know what you're doing to stop this madness. You cannot let Matheson marry that woman."

Gregory laughed. "The last time I checked, Matheson was thirty years old, Pop. I don't have any say-so in the matter."

"You're just going to accept it, then?" William hissed. "I can't believe you, son. This is your only child. I've been working diligently from my end; what have you been doing?"

"What do you mean by that?" Gregory asked, surprised. "What work have you been doing?"

"Don't you mind that." William replied. "Let's just say I've been trying to help bring their relationship to a swift end. That girl cheated on him, and he still wants to marry her! It doesn't make sense!"

"What do you know about that?" Gregory gasped.

"I have my sources," William replied crisply. "I'm only revealing this to you because you are my son, and I know that you will take my side over hers. You would never betray my trust!"

"Pop, Matheson is my only son! Do you expect me to just sit idly by and let you destroy his relationship with Val? He'd be devastated!"

"He'd get over her, in time," William replied. "I'm doing what's best for all of us."

"No, you're not," Gregory snapped. He then stood up and came around the desk. "Did you have anything to do with what happened at that club with Val and her cousin?"

"If you must know, I only set the scene." William replied. "I can't take credit or blame for what happened."

"God, Pop! I can't believe you. A girl was raped! Val was drugged! How could you do this?" Gregory leaned against the desk for balance, clearly stunned by his father's actions.

"Extreme circumstances call for extreme measures!" William snapped. "You and I both know that this girl is not the right one for Matheson!"

"Did you hear what I said, Pop? Val's cousin was raped and Val was drugged!"

"That girl is a tart…a whore! I doubt if it was rape. Besides, that girl of Matheson's would never have been drugged if she hadn't been in that club looking for some action."

"I can't believe this," Gregory snapped angrily. "my own father plotting the ruin of my son's life!"

"I think you've got that backwards," William replied calmly. "I'm trying to save his life."

"I don't know what's happened to you to make you so racist. I don't remember you teaching me to hate black people. I didn't want Matheson to marry her, at first, but he's happy and that supersedes that girl's skin color. I want my boy to be happy, and now he is. I won't interfere with that, and you shouldn't, either!"

"You talk like a fool," William replied, clearly irritated. "He is the last male in our family. Our heritage is running through him. Billy only has girls, who will take their husbands' names. Don't you see what I'm trying to do?"

Gregory came around the desk. "Yes…I see that you are trying to impose your prejudices onto my son. It didn't work when I tried it, and it certainly won't work if you try it, so give it a rest, Pop."

William shook his head in disbelief. "I can't believe that you are just going to accept this!"

Gregory pointed a finger at his father. "And you will too, because this is what Matheson wants."

"You're not going to tell him that I was the one behind that incident at the club, are you?" William growled. "Remember family loyalty. If you do, it will be your fault that I end up in court -or worse, in jail! You wouldn't betray your father, would you? What about your mother? If I end up in jail, who'll take care of her? I'll most likely die from a heart attack in that place. You'd better think about whose side you're on before you act."

Gregory shook his head. He knew that his father was being a bit dramatic, but still, he had to admit that he didn't want to see his father in jail. It would kill his mother. Why had his father told him what he'd done? Gregory wished that he had just kept his mouth shut!

"Pop, I can't carry this thing around with me, knowing that you are still trying to hurt Matheson. I have to warn him. I love you, but I love my son too. It wasn't right for you to put me in the middle of your mess!"

William jumped up. "I'll deny everything, anyway, and there is no proof! You'd better think carefully before you act, son. All I tried to do was to preserve our family."

"Preserve our family? What are you talking about? Our family is intact! Your actions are the ones that could tear our family apart!"

"Marrying that girl will be the end of the line for us. Their children will be all mixed up. I won't accept them as my kin; I'm telling you this right now!'

Gregory stared at him a moment in total disbelief. "Look, I don't want you in jail and I'll be quiet about this for now, but you must stop this madness. They are getting married tomorrow, and it's a done deal. If I get any inkling of anything suspicious, I'm going straight to the police, myself! The only reason I'm agreeing to be quiet is because I want Matheson to have a nice, quiet wedding with no problems."

"He's marrying the problem." William snapped.

"I mean it, Pop. You will not do or say anything further, or I'll tell everyone in the family what you did, and then I'll go to the police."

"Fine." William growled back at his son. He got up and walked out of the office, slamming the door.

Gregory couldn't believe what his father had admitted to him. He knew that he should tell Matheson, but perhaps it would be best to wait until after the wedding. Still, he didn't trust his father to just play nice. If he had gone through so much trouble to end the wedding before, he wondered what he could possibly plan to do next.

Gregory decided that it would take a crazy person to understand another crazy person, and therefore he decided to call Emily.

                                              ((***))

Emily was surprised when Gregory called and asked her to meet him for dinner that evening. It was unlike him to be spontaneous, and she wondered what was up.

He had asked her to make a reservation at The Waterford, which was a very nice restaurant. She hadn't been there in over a year. She glanced at her watch and decided to catch a cab there, instead of driving, so that the two of them could ride back home together. Perhaps he knew that she had been running around helping Mavis with the last minute wedding preparations, and didn't want her to be worried about dinner.

Her baby was getting married in just a couple of days. She couldn't believe it. She had convinced Mavis and Val that she wanted to decorate the church and Mavis had rented the ballroom at the Omni for the reception. Val had insisted on a small wedding, but Emily and Mavis had planned a grand reception. By the time she was done, she had sent invitations to the reception to over three hundred people. She smiled to herself. She always got her way, one way or another. Besides, Val was somewhat preoccupied after that horrible incident with her cousin! She quickly checked herself one last time, before running out of the door when she heard the cab blow it's horn.

She arrived at the Waterford in record time, and was led to a table after giving them her reservation information. Gregory was late, of course! She quickly texted him on her phone, asking him how much longer he would be. He responded that he would be there in fifteen minutes, so she knew that it would most likely be thirty.

She looked around and sipped her water. Her eyes locked onto a couple across the room. The woman looked a lot like Hannah, but it couldn't be Hannah…could it? She was with a man with dark hair, and they were talking. The man reached across the table and took the woman's hand. Emily watched, fascinated, as he brought the woman's fingers to his lips and kissed them. Emily continued to watch the couple for several more minutes, and then the woman stood up, apparently to go to the ladies room.

Emily quickly jumped up to follow her. By the time she reached the bathroom herself, the woman had already gone in, and the lounging area of the bathroom was clear. She decided to sit and wait.

After a few minutes, she watched as Hannah came out and went to the sink to wash her hands. She did not seem to notice Emily sitting in the corner.

"So that was you I saw with that man!" Emily said, walking over to Hannah, startling her.

"What?" Hannah asked, looking surprised. "What are you doing here, Emily?"

"I'm meeting my husband for dinner," Emily replied, grinning like the cat who ate the canary. "What are you doing here, and who is that man that was kissing your hand?"

She watched as Hannah turned beet red and drew herself up.

"I don't see what business it is of yours," she snapped. "After all, I am an adult."

"I'm sure your brother would be interested in this turn of events." Emily replied.

"I don't answer to Gregory, and I certainly don't answer to you!" Hannah snapped walking by her, reaching for the door.

"Are you going to introduce us?" Emily asked, following her out of the restroom. "You're not experienced with men. Perhaps Gregory can talk to him and check out his background."

"I'm not a child, Emily." Hannah whispered angrily, as she headed back to her table. "I know what I'm doing. Mind your own business!"

Emily looked over at her table and saw that Gregory had arrived. "Your brother's here," she warned, before heading back to her own table. "I'm sure he'll want to meet this fellow."

Hannah did not reply, but headed back to her table. Emily decided not to pursue Hannah, but just tell Gregory about her discovery.

"Emily, I figured you were in the restroom," Gregory said, looking up from the menu at his wife as she approached the table.

"I was talking to Hannah." She replied, sitting down. "She's here with a date! Can you believe it, Gregory? Your sister has a date."

Gregory looked around until he spotted his sister, who appeared to be scanning the room, also. Their eyes locked.

"We should go over and introduce ourselves." Emily insisted.

"Maybe it's just a casual date," Gregory replied. "We don't need to do that."

"Don't you want to know what's going on?" Emily fumed. "Your sister is dating!"

Gregory picked up the menu and began to scan it for the second time. "Yes, and if she wants us to know anything, she'll tell us."

Emily stared at her husband in total disbelief. "I can't believe you two! You're both just alike in so many ways!" she snapped.

"Ah, well she is my sister, you know," Gregory replied, grinning. " Now, what would you like to order?"

"Aren't you the least bit concerned? Hannah doesn't have experience with men! He might be someone trying to take advantage of her! Where did they meet? What if she's slept with him already? Don't you wonder if she's protecting herself?"

Gregory looked up from the menu. "Your concern for my sister is touching, Emily. I like your concern for her a lot better than the past battles that have been waged between you two. Stop jumping to conclusions. Maybe they're just friends. Maybe it's a first date. If it is serious, she'll let us know. Now look at the menu and tell me what you want to eat!"

Emily stared at the menu, unable to concentrate, and resisted the urge to glance back over at Hannah's table. "I don't know what I want," She admitted. "Maybe you should just order for the both of us."

Before Gregory could comment, she saw that the man at Hannah's table had stood up, and was now walking their way. Hannah quickly got up to follow him.

Emily immediately noticed that he was a full head shorter than Hannah. He was a stocky man, but he seemed to be all muscle. He had a thick mane of black hair with a few flecks of gray. Emily had to admit to herself that he was quite handsome, and wondered if he sounded as good as he looked.

"Good evening," he said, extending his hand to Gregory. "I am Emilio Juarez. I am a friend of Hannah's."

Emily's mouth dropped open and glanced at Hannah. This Emilio had a deep baritone voice, with a heavy Hispanic accent. She could tell he was a charmer.

Hannah walked up behind him, and Emily knew immediately that she was not happy with this turn of events.

"Hannah told me that her brother and sister-in-law were dining here, also, and I insisted on us coming over to greet you. I am not interrupting, I hope? If so, please forgive me."

Emily thought that his voice was low and sexy. She glanced at Hannah, who would not meet her gaze.

"It's nice to meet you, Emilio," Gregory replied standing, grinning as he shook Emilio's hand. "This is my wife Emily" Emilio nodded. Gregory then looked at his sister and knew immediately that she wasn't happy that Emilio had come over to their table. He wondered what the big deal was. "Hannah, we didn't realize you were in town. I was expecting you to come with Pop and Ma tomorrow, for the wedding." he stated watching for her reaction.

"Wedding?" Emilio asked, surprised.

"Yes, my son is getting married." Emily said looking from Emilio to Hannah. "I can't imagine why Hannah didn't ask you to be her escort. Who wouldn't want a handsome hunk like you on their arm?"

Emilio took Emily's hand and grinned at her. "You are most kind, Emily." He then looked at Hannah while still holding Emily's hand. "Ah, perhaps it slipped her mind. Is that what happened, Hannah?" he asked slyly.

Hannah glared at him, and then back at Emily, who was pointedly ignoring her gaze.

"Perhaps she thought that, since you two are just casual friends, you might not want to accompany her and have people draw incorrect conclusions." Emily baited, while smiling at him sweetly.

"I can assure you that Hannah and I are more than just casual friends." He replied deliberately taking the bait.

"Is that so?" Emily responded surprised, looking at Hannah and then back at Gregory. "Shame on you, Hannah, for not bringing Emilio around before," Emily snickered, enjoying Hannah's obvious discomfort. "You shouldn't hide such a handsome suitor."

"Yes, shame on you, mi querida, " Emilio replied, grinning at Emily. "We should not keep secrets."

"It wasn't a secret, it just never came up." Hannah replied. She looked at Gregory. "Well we'll get back to our table and let you enjoy your dinner."

"Nonsense!" Gregory replied. "Why don't the two of you join us? After all, I think as your brother, I should get to know your suitor a little better, don't you think, Sis?"

"What are you talking about, Gregory?" she asked, as the waiter walked over to their table.

"We will be all having dinner together," Gregory said to the waiter, who was taking in the scene. "Do you have another table that can seat all of us?"

"Of course, Sir," the waiter replied. "Just follow me this way."

Gregory stood up and grabbed his sister's arm, pulling her close. "You forget that I took Spanish in school, Hannah. Or should I call you 'my darling?'

Hannah glared at her brother, and then at Emilio, who was now talking to Emily as they were led to another table.

                                                 ((***))

Val was shocked when she arrived at Tameka's and saw that she had cut off and dyed her hair. She had to admit ,though, that the look was becoming. She had expected Tameka to show up in her usual tight, form-fitting clothes, and so was surprised to see that she had on a loose-fitting tank top, with a blazer and a pair of slacks. She didn't have on her usual makeup, either. This was not like Tameka.

"Are you alright, Meka?" she asked, worried.

"I wish you would enhance your vocabulary!" Tameka replied, laughing. "I'm fine."

"You look so different." Val said as they walked down to the car, where Matheson was waiting. She tried to choose her words carefully.

"It's the new me," Tameka replied tartly.

"I see," Val replied, even though she really didn't.

"Hi, Tameka," Matheson said, grinning as he opened the door for her.

"Hi." She replied, not meeting his gaze. Matheson glanced at Val, and then back at Tameka.

"You cut your hair." He said, pulling out of the parking lot.

"You're very observant," Tameka replied caustically.

"Tameka, I'm worried about you." Val said, glancing at her in the back seat. "You're not yourself."

"Who am I, then, Val?" she asked.

"I mean…you're different." Val replied defensively. "I feel like something's wrong."

"Oh, I suppose you feel like I should be over what happened to me, right?" Tameka snapped.

"I didn't mean-"

"I know what you meant!" Tameka interrupted, looking out the window. "No, I'm not the same. I was raped and I was drugged. That's not normal even for me, Miss Perfect!"

Val gasped. "Meka, I'm only concerned. Why are you so angry with me?" Her voice cracked with hurt.

"I'm not angry with you!" Tameka replied. "You keep asking me if I'm alright; well I'm not. You make it sound like I'm supposed to be fine. Would you be fine, in my position?"

"Tameka, Val is just concerned about you." Matheson said, jumping to Val's defense.

Tameka glanced at him. "Yeah, right."

"Meka, are you still seeing the doctor?" Val whispered. "You need to talk to somebody."

"Talking hasn't helped." Tameka retorted. "I've accepted the fact that I'm damaged goods. I'm a basket case! I'm not even interested in dating or sex or relationships anymore. I just want to work and come home and sleep. I don't want to go out anywhere, and I don't want to keep talking to a shrink, when it does me no good!"

"Meka!" Val exclaimed at her outburst. "If the doctor you're seeing isn't doing you any good, you need to find another one."

Tameka stared out the window and didn't reply. Val looked at Matheson helplessly as he pulled into the mall's parking lot. He pulled into the first available space, and came around the car to open both of the passenger doors.

"I brought this on myself," Val heard Tameka mumble as she got out of the car.

"This is not your fault," Matheson snapped before Val could say anything. He quickly grabbed Tameka by the shoulders, startling her.

"I'm going to get to the bottom of all this," he vowed angrily. "Whoever's behind this mess is going to pay. I guarantee that."

Val was surprised at his response. His rage was barely controlled, and his eyes flashed with a wildness she had seen his mother possess. It was that part of him that scared her. She had only seen it a couple of times, and while she knew that Matheson loved her, she still never wanted to be the one to get on his bad side.

"Alright, Matheson," Tameka replied, pulling away. "I believe you will."

She turned to Val and gave her a weak smile, trying to hide the nervousness she felt. "Alright Cuz, c'mon. Let's spend some money!"

End Notes:

Alright everyone, this is all I've written thus far.  Now you will have to be patient with me as I get back to the business of actually writing. 

Thanks for all your reviews and comments.  They inspire me to write.  Future updates will not be as frequent, of course.  Hopefully they will be coming about once a week or so. 

I love it here on the Chamber.

Brenda

Chapter 41 Disaster by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson and Gregory discuss options.  Hannah speaks her mind.  Tameka takes matters in her own hands!

Disaster

Matheson looked at himself in the mirror and smiled. Tomorrow he would wake up a married man; today would be his last day waking up alone. He had often wondered how it would feel to be married. Right now, he was happy - happier than he'd ever been.

He had not slept with Val since they had gotten back together. Well, technically, they had slept together- and she had blown his mind with her demonstration of her love for him that night- but they had not been together since then, and he was more than ready for their honeymoon. He was well rested and ready for her. He had several surprises in store for her on their wedding night.

Val had been busy with last minute preparations, and he had turned the store over to Gary the previous night when his shift ended. Gary would be in charge until they returned from their honeymoon. He was confident that Gary could handle things, but his father would be on standby if he needed him. Val had expressed a desire to go to Hawaii for their honeymoon, and he had taken care of everything. Nothing was too good for her. He had arranged for a two week stay.

Today, however, he had some unfinished business to deal with. He had planned to talk to Tameka again to see if he could learn more about what happened to her, but he had delayed doing so in order to give her time to recover from this latest trauma. He didn't know what her plans were for the day, however he speculated that most likely, she would be home resting.

He had already made up his mind to go over to her apartment and talk to her first thing this morning. His grandparents were staying with his parents, so he had decided to go over there for a friendly visit. He didn't want to upset his grandmother, but he had already made up his mind that he would try to talk to his grandfather and find out what was really going on.

Matheson was putting on his shoes when he heard the doorbell. He looked at his watch and, seeing that it was a little after 9 am, he wondered who would be visiting him at this time of morning. Val had a key, so she wouldn't be ringing the bell.

He ran downstairs whistling, skipped over the last three steps, and landed loudly at the bottom. Looking through the peephole, he was surprised to see his father and quickly opened the door.

"Pop, what are you doing here this time of morning?" he asked, surprised.

His father laughed. "I can see that the groom is mighty chipper, this morning," He replied, walking into the apartment. He looked at Matheson, giving him the once-over. He was happy to find that his son appeared to be well rested. "I guess I can see that you're ready for tomorrow, but are you ready for your mother's rehearsal dinner tonight?"

"I don't understand why she's having this dinner," Matheson replied, shaking his head. He shut the door and they walked into the living room. Matheson pointed to the sofa for his father to sit down. "Val and I decided on just a simple ceremony, with no brides maids, or any of that. She wanted just the two of us, and you, Mom and Mavis, as we stand before Reverend Davis. What is the reason for this dinner? We explained all this to Ma ahead of time!"

Gregory laughed. "Does your mother need a reason, son?"

"I guess not," Matheson agreed. He sat down across from his father. "However, I know that you didn't just come over here for that. So, what's up?"

Gregory sighed, and didn't reply immediately. This was the day before his son was about to be married, and he had wrestled with coming over to his apartment for days now, but he had to get it off of his chest. He had changed his mind about telling Emily about the conversation he'd had with his father. He knew how she could be, and he didn't need a disaster on his hands.

After weighing his options, he had decided to talk to Matheson. He didn't want to keep quiet, only to have something else end up happening. Matheson had called him and told him about Tameka being kidnapped, and that had been the last straw. He didn't know how much his father was involved in all this, but he felt that he should share what he did know with his son.

"Son, have you heard anymore about what happened to Val and her cousin the night that her drink was spiked?" Gregory asked.

Of all things, Matheson was not prepared for that question from his father. Could his father know something?

"Not really," Matheson replied. He then explained to his father that he had been about to go over to Tameka's to talk to her, when Gregory had arrived. She was now home from the hospital, and he wanted to check on her, as well as try to get her to talk to him.

"This is crazy! First the club, and now this kidnapping!" Gregory snapped. "Do the police have any leads?"

"They are still investigating," Matheson replied. He studied his father a moment, noting that he appeared to be highly agitated. "Why did you come over here, Pop? Do you know something about all this?"

"I believe your grandfather is involved," Gregory replied. "I think he wants to try to stop you from marrying Val. I hadn't planned on dumping this on you, in fact I had planned on talking to your mother about it. However, you know how your mother can be, and I didn't want a full blown catastrophe to occur right before your wedding… so I kept quiet, especially after Hannah and her new beau turned up-"

"What?" Matheson asked, surprised. "Aunt Hannah has a boyfriend?"

"Yes, but that's another story," Gregory replied. " I don't know what to do about Papa."

"Did he actually admit to you that he had something to do with what happened, or are you just speculating?" Matheson asked.

"He told me- in so many words -that he ‘did what he had to do to stop the wedding.’ He said that 'extreme circumstances called for extreme actions,' or something like that. I was totally shocked. He also said that he didn't understand why you'd stay with Val, when you knew that she had cheated. How could he know that, unless he was somehow involved?"

He stood up and walked over to Matheson, whose face was a mask of barely-controlled rage. He knew that his son might take matters into his own hands, and he wanted the two of them to reason this thing out.

"Son, I came over here to talk to you, so that the two of us could decide how to go forward with this information. He is my father, even though I don't agree with what he's done. I have to consider everything-"

"What's there to consider?" Matheson snarled angrily. "Tameka was raped, Pop! Gramps was behind it! I had my suspicions that he was involved somehow before you even came over here, but I wasn't sure!

“When Tameka was in the hospital, she was terrified when they told her that Mr. Hendricks was there to see her. When she found out that I was the one coming to see her, she was relieved; I wondered which 'Mr. Hendricks' she was afraid of. I couldn't believe that you would do anything to harm her; I felt that you had accepted our marriage. That only leaves Gramps! He must have been the one to do all this to her! I just can't understand why; it doesn't make sense."

"Perhaps both of us should talk to her now," Gregory replied. "Maybe she can fill in some of the blanks."

"He's going to pay for this, Pop," Matheson snapped angrily. "I don't care that he's my grandfather; he's going to pay."

"Matheson, please. I know you're upset," Gregory replied. "I have to think about Mama-"

"Pop, he's got to pay for what he did," Matheson replied, interrupting him. "I don't know just yet what that will be, but he's going to pay." Matheson got up and opened the door. "Let's go. We have some unfinished business to take care of."

"Where are we going?" Gregory asked, following him. "We should call Detective Grant before we go to the police station."

"We're not going to the police, just yet. We're going to talk to Tameka!" Matheson replied as he led his father out of the apartment.

((***))

Hannah headed back to her room at the Omni after finishing her morning workout. Exercise invigorated her, and she wanted to be at her best for the dinner that night. Gregory had insisted that she bring Emilio over that night for dinner.

Hannah would have protested, but Emily had insisted that Matheson would want to meet Emilio, so she had reluctantly agreed. She wasn't sure that she was ready to spring him on her entire family- but then again, hadn't he done the same thing to her at dinner in the Chinese restaurant? Fair was fair.

She headed for the elevator, and was startled when a hand came between the doors, stopping them from closing. She was shocked to see her father get on the elevator.

"Good morning, Hannah." He said, looking at her.

"Papa, what are you doing here? I thought you were staying with Gregory and Emily," she said, pushing the button to her floor.

"I am. I came here to see you," William replied.

"Me?" Hannah responded. "Why didn't you call? Is Mama alright?"

"Your mother is fine," He said, as the doors opened on her floor.

Hannah walked to her room, and he followed her in. What could this be about? She directed him to a chair, then sat down across from him.

"Alright, Papa," She said, eying him. "What brings you here so early in the morning?"

"I hear you're seeing some man now," Her father said, looking around. "Gregory and Emily told me that they met him at dinner the other night."

"Well, yes. I am seeing someone," She replied cautiously.

"Gregory said his name was Jose- or Julio -or something. What is he, a Mexican?" William snapped.

"Papa!" Hannah replied angrily. "His name is Emilio, and he's from Argentina!"

"Hell, Argentina, Mexico, whatever! He's a foreigner! What the hell were you thinking, Hannah? Aren't there any American men you can date? He probably wants to swindle you out your money and bring all of his other Mexican relatives over here!"

"Papa, it's not like that," Hannah replied. "Why can't you be happy for me?"

"Happy? Have you lost your mind, girl? First, Matheson hooks up with this…this colored girl, and now you go and get yourself an Argentina wetback! Our family is not the United Nations!"

"Papa, that's enough!" Hannah replied, standing. "Emilio is a hardworking man, and he's an American citizen."

William laughed mockingly. "Sure he is…and I'm a half-breed Hebe!"

"Papa, really!" Hannah snapped. "Why are you so upset? I'm sixty years old, for god’s sake! You ought to be happy for me!"

William grunted. "What have I to be happy about, Hannah? I tried to do right by you; I tried to introduce you to decent men, and you would have none of it! I guess white men aren't good enough for you!"

"You were paying those men to take me out, remember?" Hannah snapped angrily. "I didn't want that!"

"What's the difference, now?" her father growled. "You're seeing this foreigner, and he knows you have money. I'm sure it still adds up the same way!"

"Are you saying that I can't get a man, unless I pay him, Papa?" Hannah hissed. "That's really what you mean, isn't it?"

Her father looked at her, giving her the once-over. "Of course you've fixed yourself up now, and that's an improvement," William replied, not noticing his daughter's distress. "All I'm saying is that you need to be careful. Most men want a young girl- not someone your age, Hannah -unless they're eighty! I doubt that's the case, here. You need to be realistic; you're too old to be acting so foolish!"

"Foolish?" Hannah said, choking back tears. "Is it foolish to fall in love, Papa? Is it foolish to enjoy a man's attentions? Is it foolish not to want to be alone?"

"Hannah, really," Her father said, waving a dismissive hand at her. "You've never needed anybody! You're hard as nails, and strong-willed. You got that from me! You were always independent, even if you were always a little on the shy side. That's why you never dated! What's really going on with you; a midlife crisis, perhaps?"

Hannah stared at her father. What did he think she was, a zombie with no feelings? Did he and Billy really think that she didn't need anybody, as she had often heard them say? Did Gregory feel the same way? She quickly stood up, filled with rage at her own father's perception of her.

"Papa, I am not having a midlife crisis. I'm having a wonderful, glorious love affair with Emilio." She looked at him, her face hard. "You all think that I don't need anyone, do you? Well I’ve got news for all of you: I am a woman! I need love, just like anybody else. I need attention, just like other people. You and Mama and Billy could never see that. Not a one of you paid the slightest bit of attention to me after the age of ten, and even before that, I had to share the little attention I did receive with Billy.

“No one saw the real pain I was carrying around- no one but Matheson! Matheson was the only one who really cared enough about me to help me see myself as I really am, and I almost lost that! I don't know how much longer I have here on this earth, Papa, but I'm going to live! I'm going to love, and I'm going to throw you out of my room, right now!"

She marched over to the door and opened it. "Get out, Papa!" she hissed.

William looked at her in disbelief. Why was she getting upset, when he was just looking out for her best interests? "Hannah, you're getting yourself riled up for what? You don't know anything about this Julio you're professing to love."

"Get out Papa!" she shrieked. "His name is Emilio Juarez!"

He stared at her a moment, shaking his head, and then walked out of the door. She slammed it hard behind him.

((***))

Tameka sat on the bed looking at her hand, which was shaking uncontrollably. She had to get herself together. She had taken a few pills in hopes of calming herself down, however it didn’t appear to be working. Maybe she would beg off from the wedding, tomorrow. After all, she had a perfectly legitimate excuse, considering what she had been through. She did not want to face William Hendricks, and she knew that he'd be there.

She took the sleeping pills out of the cabinet and quickly downed a few. What did she have to live for? Her grandmother hated her, her mother had left her, and there was no one who really cared for her right now…except Val. Once she found out what Tameka had done, she knew that Val would cut her off and she wouldn't have anyone.

She stared in the mirror at her reflection. Dark circles were under her eyes, due to lack of sleep. She had not slept well since the rape, and it had taken a toll on her. Val had told her once, when they were young, that she was lucky to be so beautiful; that she wished that she was light, like Tameka, with long, pretty hair. Tameka had never thought herself lucky or pretty. If only she could have been strong, like Val. If only she had been smart like her cousin, or had someone that cared about her. But that didn't matter, now. She felt that she had nothing to look forward to.

She thought back to the night that she’d approached Val about going to the club. If only Val had said no to her; had blown her off that fateful night, like she had in the past. Tameka wished that she hadn't listened to William Hendricks. He knew about all the debt she was in. He knew that she was about to lose her car and apartment. She didn't know how he knew so much, but he had used what he knew to gain what he wanted. She wished, now, that she had let them repossess the car and put her out of the apartment. Living with her grandmother again would not have been as bad as the pickle she was in now.

She glared at her reflection, and was filled with self loathing. "You're nothing but the piece of trash Nana always said you were," she said aloud to her reflection. Her reflection grimaced back at her.

Just then there was a knock on the door, and she wondered who it could be. She put on a robe before heading to the door to look out.

"Who is it?" she asked, trying to calm the nervousness in her voice.

"It's Matheson."

Matheson! Why was he coming over, the day before his wedding? She opened the door, with the chain still secure, and peeped out. Matheson was standing there with another man.

"Tameka, open the door. We need to talk," he said, looking at her.

She opened the door and stepped back as he and the other man stepped into the apartment.

"What do you want, Matheson?" she asked, leading them into the living room.

"This is my father, Gregory Hendricks." Matheson said, nodding towards his father as they both sat down. He noticed that Tameka was shaking.

"Are you alright?" Matheson asked, watching her. "You're shaking like a leaf!"

Tameka nodded and sat down across from him. She wished that she had a joint; maybe that would calm her nerves.

"Tameka, do know my father?" Gregory asked. He watched as her head snapped to attention before she looked away, unable to meet his gaze.

Tameka cleared her throat and picked at a string on her robe. "Why would you think that I know your father?"

"Because I can tell that you're hiding something," Matheson replied, pulling her to her feet. "My father and I know for a fact that Gramps had something to do with what happened to you and Val. I need you to tell what you know. You were terrified in the hospital when Detective Grant told you that Mr. Hendricks was visiting you, and then you were relieved when you found out it was me. Come clean Tameka."

Tameka looked from one to another. She found herself standing between the two of them and she was unsure what to do.

"He'll kill me," she whispered finally, her eyes glued to the carpet.

"Who? My father?" Gregory asked, surprised. He grabbed her arm, as she seemed unsteady on her feet. She was still shaking, and it seemed that her knees were about to buckle.

Tameka jumped back, her face filled with fear. "I-I think you'd better leave."

"Tameka, you have to tell us what's going on," Matheson said, grabbing her arm again. "Did my grandfather threaten you?"

Tameka stared at them and didn't reply. She was still shaking, and suddenly began to cry. She couldn't tell them! He would kill her for sure!

"Tameka, we can help you," Gregory said, pleading. "You have to trust somebody."

She looked at Gregory. "You look like him; how can I trust you?" She then looked at Matheson. "He's your family, how can I trust you?”

She looked away, her voice rising an octave. "It's all my fault and I know I have to pay for what I did, but how I pay is my decision, not his."

"What are you talking about?" Matheson snapped. "Just tell us what's going on!"

She snatched her arm from him and ran into the bedroom. She returned with a letter in her hand. "Here! It's all in here. I was going to leave it for Val, but you two knocked on my door. I'm not going to let him do it; I'm going to do it myself!" she said, sobbing. She threw the letter at them and it fell to the floor.

"Tameka, you're hysterical!" Matheson said, picking up the letter.

She didn't reply, but turned and ran into the bathroom, slamming the door. "Get out and leave me alone!" she yelled from the other side of the door.

The envelope was sealed with a piece of tape; Matheson stared at it, and then back at the bathroom door.

"What did she mean?" Gregory asked, puzzled. "What's she going to do?"

"Maybe the letter will explain," Matheson replied, opening it.

Dear Val:
I am so sorry for all I put you through. It didn't seem like such a bad idea at the time. He said he wanted to help me with my financial situation and all I had to do was to get you to the club. He didn't want you marrying Matheson and said that he just wanted a few pictures of you in a compromising position so that Matheson would leave you.

I knew it was selfish of me, but I was desperate. I was about to lose everything. I know that it's no excuse and know that you will hate me after reading this. I guess I deserved what I got both times.

I've got to end this thing before he does. He already tried to kill me once, and I'm not giving him a second opportunity. Go and live your Cinderella dream. It was always meant for you to be happy. Watch out for him though. I don't know what else he may try to do once you two get married. Matheson seems nice, but his family is evil, so be careful.

Tameka

Matheson looked up from the letter to his father, who was reading it over his shoulder.

"She didn't actually say it was Gramps," he said, obviously puzzled. "But who else could she be talking about?"

"Maybe she's gone over the edge," Gregory speculated. "Let's try to talk some sense into her. This letter just raises more questions!"

They knocked on the bathroom door, but didn't receive a response. Gregory looked at his son, and Matheson banged harder on the door.

"Tameka?" Matheson yelled loudly. "Open this door!"

He turned the knob when she didn't respond, and when the door only opened an inch, he realized that something was blocking it. He shoved himself against it, and saw that Tameka was on the floor.

Matheson pushed the door open enough to squeeze through, and found Tameka face-down on the floor. An empty pill bottle was beside her, and she was unconscious.

"Pop, call 911!" he yelled over his shoulder. He sat Tameka up and opened her mouth to see if she had swallowed all of the pills. Finding nothing, he picked up the bottle and put it on the sink. He then picked her up in his arms.

"Why did you do this, Meka?" he whispered, totally shocked and choking on his words. He put her on the bed and saw that his father was on the phone. He quickly got a wet washcloth to wipe her face. As he left the bathroom, he took the pill bottle off of the sink, putting it in his pocket to give to the doctor that would treat her.

"The ambulance is on its way," Gregory said, looking at her. He wondered if she would make it. Her skin was pale, and he could hardly see the rise and fall of her chest.

"She's barely breathing," Matheson replied, checking her pulse. He could hear the ambulance in the distance. He looked at Tameka, wondering how he was going to tell Val about this latest development, on the eve of their wedding day.

((***))

Chapter 42 The Eye of the Beholder by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Val and Tameka talk.  Ethel and Val faceoff!

The Eye of the Beholder

Val sat in the waiting area and reread the letter that Matheson had given her for the fifteenth time.  She couldn’t understand it.  Nothing about this whole mess made any sense. 

 

Tameka had tried to kill herself.  Tameka…the brave one!  Tameka, the one who had always been confident and bossy when they were growing up!  When had all that changed?  The fact that her cousin had tried to break up her relationship with Matheson at first had galled and angered her.  The hussy!  But then when she read the part of the letter about losing everything, Val's heart softened a bit.  She couldn’t imagine returning to that hellhole her Nana was in charge of.  But didn’t Nana always prefer Tameka?  Didn’t that woman always say that Tameka was beautiful while  Val was black and ugly?  Why would Tameka not go back?  Did Ethel hurt Tameka the way she had hurt Val when she was younger?  Val shuddered at the thought.  There were no answers, only more questions.

 

Matheson had left to take his father back to his car and she was glad for the quiet time to reflect and try to figure things out.  The three of them had sat there for almost three hours waiting to hear something until Matheson had offered to take his father home.

 

Val looked up as the doctor approached, dreading what he was going to say 

“Miss Chamberlayne?”  he asked walking up to her.

 

“Yes”  she replied shakily.

 

The doctor sat down beside her.  “ I’m Dr. VanHorne. I’m the psychiatrist here. When your cousin was here last, she signed papers allowing the hospital to disclose to you and only you her medical information. I just need you to sign this form first and follow me to a private conference area. 

 

Val quickly signed it and got up and followed the doctor as he led them into a small room.  She then looked at the doctor expectantly.

 

“How is she?”

 

“I’m afraid not so good.”  Dr. VanHorne replied.  “We pumped her stomach and administered an antidote for the overdose.”  He looked at his notes.  “I was afraid something like this might happen.   Your cousin was administered a strong overdose of drugs when she was kidnapped which has affected her mental state.  We had hoped that therapy would help her…that is if she had been going.  I’m not sure if she was following my directives. I fear that she may have had anxiety attacks whenever she attempted to leave her apartment…flashbacks to her attack.”

 

“What are you going to do?”  Val asked. 

 

“I feel that she needs some time in a facility where her meds can be administered as well as her mental state monitored.  We suggested such before, but she refused.  Now since she has attempted suicide and she has listed you as her next of kin, we are asking you to sign the papers.

  

Val was shocked.  What about Meka’s mother, Tina?  What about her grandmother?  Why would Tameka list her and not them?

 

“Of course I’ll sign them.”  She responded.  She looked at the doctor.  “Do you think she’ll recover?  Can I see her?”

 

“I think she has a good chance.  She has to want it though.  She has to fight back against this depression that is consuming her.  It appears to me she has given up and that she doesn’t care if she lives or dies.  I don’t know what’s going on.  I felt at one time she was getting better.   She won’t talk to me and I hope that perhaps you can get her to open up. I need to know if her latest setback is just the trauma of the rape and kidnapping, or if something else is going on.  Do you have any idea what led to this suicide attempt?”

 

Val shook her head.  “I don’t know…I mean, we just reconnected so to speak.  She lived with our grandmother for years.  I don’t understand why she would do such a thing!  Can I see her?”

“She’s still somewhat sedated, but yes you can see her.”  The doctor replied. 

 

Val got up and followed him to Tameka’s room. He pointed to the door and she watched him walk down the hall before she braced herself and walked in.  She tried not to look shocked at her cousin’s appearance.  Tameka was pale, almost gray looking.  There were dark circles under her eyes.  She looked at Val and then turned to the wall away from her.

 

“I never took you to be a coward and a quitter, Meka” she hissed angrily at her cousin’s back.  “What the hell were you trying to do?”

 

Tameka swallowed and wouldn’t turn over.  “I’m not strong like you, Val.  I thought everyone would be happy that I was gone.” 

Her words angered Val more that she cared to admit.  Where was her cousin’s spunk?  Where was her sass and confidence Val had always admired?  She didn’t recognize this woman at all. He voice was lifeless and defeated.  Where was the real Tameka?

“Well you thought wrong, wench!” Val said leaning down over the bed, using the word that they used to call each other when they would fight. “I ought to take you outside and kick your ass for pulling this stunt!”

 

Tameka started to cry.  “Please Val-“

 

“No Meka, I’m not having this!” Val snapped interrupting her.  “If you needed money, why didn’t you ask me for it?  Why would you try to break up me and Matheson?  I would have expected this shit from Nana, but not from you!  Was it Matheson’s grandfather that gave you the money or not?”

 

“Yes” Tameka said turning back to the wall.  “I know you hate me.  I know I messed up.   I was desperate.  I thought I could handle it, but then afterwards…I just wanted to-“ 

 

“You wanted to run away like a coward” Val said turning Tameka's face back towards her. “You didn’t want to face me or Matheson when your guilty conscience was bothering you, so you took the coward’s way out after I asked you over and over again what was wrong!  What happened to that shit you were talking about us becoming close again and not letting Nana separate us? What happened to us being the two amigos?  Was that all just bullshit?  Did you prostitute my childhood memories of us in order to get me to go out with you that night?”

 

Val knew that Tameka was weak and vulnerable lying there, but she was mad! She resisted the urge to shake her.

 

“I meant it…”  Tameka whimpered.  “Things just got out of hand…”

 

“No shit….”  Val replied sarcastically.  She hadn’t cussed like this in years.  She knew, however that this was the only way she was going to get through to her cousin.  She was going to have to go ghetto on her and dominate her in order to get the old Tameka back...make her talk!

 

“Going back to Nana couldn’t have been all that bad.”  Val continued.  “She loved you!  You were the light and bright one with light eyes and long flowing hair, remember?  If you had been treated half as bad as I was, I might understand why you would dime me out rather than to return to her house!  I believe you just couldn’t stand to see me happy!  You’re no better than Nana!”

 

Tameka laughed bitterly and then began to cough.  Val walked around the bed and got a tissue and wiped her mouth and gave her some water.  Tameka released the straw and fell back on the bed as Val set the cup on the table.

 

“Nana hated me too!”  Tameka groaned covering her eyes with her arm.  Val quickly snatched Tameka’s arm away from her face, and Tameka glared at her.

 

“She hated you and she hated me too!”  Tameka snapped her voice cracking. 

 

“Yeah right!”  Val replied in disbelief.  “You were the pretty one, remember?  You were the one with the lovely light skin and beautiful hazel eyes.  You were the one with the long flowing hair.  I was the black, big lipped ugly-“

 

“Stop it!”  Tameka hissed.  “She only said those things to YOU about me!  She never said them to me!  I’ve been called whore and slut since I was eight!  I’ve been punished for having big breasts since I was ten!  That’s when men started to look at me!  Every time a man would turn around and look at me, I was hit and called a slut! You thought I was lucky, huh? You were the lucky one!  You had Mavis! Mama was always gone and Nana hated me! I had no one except you and you believed her lies! I loved you!  I never said you were ugly!  I told you that I never said those nasty things about you, but you didn’t believe me!”

 

“Then why did you turn around and have sex when you were thirteen, Meka!”  Val snapped.  “Seemed to me you’d want to prove her wrong, not turn around and do exactly what she said you’d do!” 

“At least the men acted like they cared about me, at least for a little while!  You changed after your Papa died!  You didn’t want to be around me!”

She looked at Val accusingly.  “You know that you were all I had!  You were the only one who loved me and you left me there in that hell hole!  You looked down on me like the trash that Nana always said I was! She was so happy that you and I were no longer close like sisters!  You left me and I had no one…no one! I kept hoping that you’d come back and things could be like they were before, but that didn’t happen.  I had no one else but you and you hated me too!”

 

Val was stunned as she watched her cousin break down in sobs, her loud wailing revealing the depth of her pain and despair.  Unable to digest all that Tameka had revealed, she just stood there staring at her in disbelief.   The nurse came quickly into the room and took in the scene.

 

“I’m going to have to ask you to leave now” she said firmly.  “Miss Chamberlayne needs her rest.”

 

Val nodded woodenly and walked out the room. A memory flashed through her mind.  The memory of Mavis coming to get her from visiting Nana that last time she was there as a child after Val had called Mavis and told her the mean things Nana had said to her.  Mavis had promised her that day that they were never going back there and she remembered looking back as she got in the car and seeing Tameka watching her from the porch, her expression sad.

 

 She spotted Matheson sitting in the waiting room.  He got up and walked over to her.

 

“How’s Tameka?  Are you alright?” he asked taking her hand.

 

She looked up at Matheson, his ocean eyes full of love and concern. She realized Tameka was right.  She was the lucky one.

 

“No Matheson, I’m not alright.”  She replied angrily.  “I need you to come with me.”

 

“Where to?”  he asked kissing her hand.

 

 She looked up at him.  “To Nana’s.”

 

((***))

 

Matheson watched Val out of the corner of her eye as she drove out of the parking lot.  Her lips were pressed together and he knew that she was upset.

 

“Val I thought you never wanted to go back there-“

 

“This is something I have to do!”  Val said.  “I have to face her one last time…for Tameka!”

 

Matheson was surprised.  He thought that she’d be angry and never want to see her cousin again after the stunt she’d pulled and he wondered what happened after he left to take his father to his car.

 

They pulled up to the door of Ethel Chamberlayne’s house and Val slammed on the breaks causing the car to jerk at the sudden stop. She jumped out of the car with a determination that Matheson didn’t recognize.  He followed her to the door and was shocked as she took out a set of keys and opened the door.  She shoved it opened causing the door to bang against the wall.

 

Matheson followed her as she marched into the house and began to look around.

 

“Nana!” she shouted barely controlling her anger.

 

Matheson watched as she began to go from room to room.  Ethel Chamberlayne came out of the kitchen with a man following close behind. Val’s stance softened a bit as she let her eyes rest on him.

 

“Uncle Buddy!”  she gasped, surprised.

 

“Hey there, VaLysia” the man replied grinning.

 

“Who the hell do you think you are busting into my home like the police?”  Ethel snapped angrily.  “What do you want?  Who gave you keys, Tameka I suppose!”

 

Val glared at her grandmother and Matheson watched this transformed woman he was about to marry.  He knew that she was high on anger and adrenalin as she marched over to her grandmother pointing her finger in her face.

 

“No, I used MY key!”  she hissed.  “I haven’t used it in years, but I had it.  I’ve almost tossed it out numerous times, but I’m glad I never did.  I put it on my key ring months ago because I felt that when I was strong enough to confront you, I’d throw it in your face!”

 

Ethel crossed her arms across her chest and looked from her granddaughter to Matheson.

 

“I suppose your white lover here gave you that strength, huh?” Ethel replied sarcastically.

 

“No” Val replied.  “It was Tameka.”

 

For once Ethel looked surprised.  “Tameka? Hmph!”

 

Uncle Buddy spoke up.  “What in the world is going on, Ethel?”

 

“Nothing that concerns you, Buddy.  Go on back in the kitchen”  Ethel replied.

 

“Why do you hate us so much” Val’s voice was a deadly calm.  “Why do you hate Tameka?  You told me that I was ugly and Tameka was beautiful, but when I wasn’t around, you called her a slut.”

 

Ethel chuckled.  “That was to keep the little bitch in line.  You ARE ugly, VaLysia.  Accept that fact.  You’re black as tar with those big lips and nappy hair.  God played a joke on you for sure.”

 

“You’re a sick woman!”  Matheson snapped angrily at her.  He was surprised when Val raised her hand for him to be quiet.  She then turned back to Ethel.

 

“So what was Tameka’s problem?  I was black and ugly so you hated me!  What caused you to hate Tameka?” Val asked crossing her arms in the same manner as her grandmother.

 

“I don’t have to answer to you!” Ethel spat.  “You’d better mind your manners, girl!”

 

“Too cowardly to tell me, huh?”  Val replied, her voice dripping acid.  “Tell me, Nana…how could Tameka be a whore and slut at age ten?”

 

Ethel drew herself up and flipped her long ponytail. 

 

“She was a slut because her mother was a slut and her father-“

 

“You know who her father is?”  Val asked shocked.  “All these years….you’ve known and didn’t tell her?”

 

“Of course I’ve known!”  Ethel said smugly. “She looks just like him!  She’s better off not knowing.”

 

Val was stunned.  What was wrong with this woman?  Ethel had always told Tameka that her mother slept with a lot of men and didn’t know who her father was.  Perhaps that was a lie.

 

“She didn’t tell her because she was angry and jealous!”  Uncle Buddy replied speaking up. “I had no idea that Tameka didn’t know who her father was.  You told me that they didn’t want anything to do with Tameka, Ethel”

 

“Be quiet Buddy!”  Ethel hissed.

 

“I may just be your husband’s brother, Ethel but I’m telling the truth even if I have to catch a train back to Mississippi today.”  Buddy replied as Ethel glared at him.  He turned back to Val.

 

“My sister in law was in love with this boy named Jonathan Brown.  He was a handsome fella, real light, bright and damn near white.  I think his daddy was white in fact.”  Buddy said sitting down in a nearby chair.  “Well Jonathan was hot after this dark skinned girl named Mary-“

 

“Buddy I’m warning you!”  Ethel threatened but Buddy continued his story ignoring her.

 

“Anyway long story short, he married Mary and she had a son.  Ethel here married too, to my brother in fact,  but I don’t think she ever got over Jonathan.  Jonathan and Mary had a son and he was just as bright as his daddy.  In fact, he was the spitting image of Jon, but he had his mother’s eyes.  Then the unthinkable happened.  Tina, Tameka’s mom fell in love with Jonathan’s son.  Tina got pregnant, and I’m sure you can figure out the rest.”

 

Val gasped and looked at her grandmother.  “Why?  Why would you punish Tameka like that?  It wasn’t her fault!”

 

“He was mines!  Mines!”  Ethel snapped angrily.  “I had to look at that little bitch every day and see him.  It wasn’t fair!”

 

Matheson had been watching the exchange and was totally floored.  He felt that Ethel had some serious mental issues.  He wanted to intervene, but he was proud that Val was holding her own with her grandmother.  He watched the scene continue as the Uncle was now shaking his head.

 

“He was never yours, Ethel.”  Uncle Buddy said sadly.  He looked at Val.  “I’m sorry, VaLysia.  I had no idea.  I had my own family to tend to.  I had no idea this was going on.  I didn’t come up here to Baltimore but every other year or so to visit.”

 

Val walked over and hugged her Uncle.  “It’s not your fault, Uncle Buddy” she replied.

 

She looked at Ethel.  “So you punished Tameka because she looked like a man that didn’t want you!  How pathetic!  Your granddaughter is lying in the hospital and you wouldn’t even come to see her!  Now I understand why you didn’t visit.  You want her to die, don’t you so that you don’t have to look at her face and see Jonathan Brown.”

 

Ethel glared at her. “Shut your mouth! You think you know everything, don’t you? She doesn’t just look like him; she has the body of that whorish grandmother of hers who stole him from me!  I knew that she’d turn out to be the slut she is today!”

 

“She’s your daughter’s child” Val cried.  “Did you ever see Aunt Tina when you looked at her?  What about that?  How could a ten year old be a slut?  You were supposed to protect her and you abused me and you abused her!  How could you?  How could Aunt Tina just leave her here?” 

 

“She had no choice” Ethel replied smugly.  “I made her sign over her rights to me when the little bitch was born.  I wanted to be sure that Jonathan and his wife didn’t get their hands on her!  Tina did what I told her, and I sent her away until Tameka was born. Tina knew that she couldn’t take care of her alone and she had no one else to turn to but her mother!  Tameka's father had enlisted into the Marines before she found out that she was pregnant,  and he wasn’t one of the lucky ones to make it back to the states alive.  I was delighted that Jonathan got to feel the pain that I had felt when he rejected me.”

 

“You’re sick!”  Val said sadly.  “I never knew that before, but you are one sick, pathetic woman! How could you compare a man losing his son to your stupid infatuation? You are insane!”

 

“I’m as sane as you are” Ethel argued.

 

“You’d like to think so” Matheson said finally.  He had heard enough.  He turned to Val.

 

“Have you heard enough?  Let’s go.”

 

“Not yet” Val said looking back at Ethel.  “So what’s my story?  Is it just because I’m dark?”

 

Ethel grunted.  “I don’t owe you any explanations”

 

She started to walk off and Val grabbed her forcing her to turn around.

 

“I think you do” she hissed. 

 

“You little black tar baby!”  Ethel snapped.  “Take your hands off of me!”

 

Uncle Buddy walked over to his sister in law.

 

“Ethel, what’s wrong with you?  Don’t talk to VaLysia like that!”

 

“Shut up Buddy!”  Ethel said snatching herself from Val’s grasp and glaring angrily at her brother in law.  “Get your things and get out!  I don’t want you here!  Your visit is over! I only asked you here because you remind me of Herbert, but if you're taking her side, you can get the hell out of my house right along with them!”

 

Buddy looked at Matheson.  “Can you give me a few minutes and take me by the train station?”

 

“Nonsense, Uncle Buddy” Matheson replied glaring at Ethel over her brother in law’s head. “You can stay with me and attend our wedding tomorrow.  Get your things.  We’ll wait for you!”

 

“Get out!”  she hissed at Val.  “I’m through talking!”

 

“You are a sad excuse for a human being!”  Val said her voice cracking. “My father-“

 

Ethel slapped Val hard taking her by surprise.  Matheson started to intervene, but Val surprised him by shoving her grandmother away from her causing her to stumble backwards. Ethels chest was heaving as she pointed her finger in Val's face.

 

“Your father was weak!  He had me!  He didn’t need your mother! How could he just kill himself over her?”  Ethel’s voice raised an octave and Matheson thought she really did look insane. “I put up with her stealing my son and I put up with you, but no more!  Now get out of my house! Tell that slut Tameka I don’t want her back here either!”  She glanced out of the window as she sat down in a nearby chair.

 

“Jonathan, I would have been good to you!”  she spat angrily, more to herself than to those in the room.  “You should have given me a chance!”

 

Val stared at her grandmother a moment rubbing her face and Matheson walked over and put his arm around her.  “Let’s go.” He watched as Val tossed the door key on the table still staring at her grandmother. “Let’s go, Val” he whispered softly turning her towards the door.

 

Val nodded and followed him outside.

 

“Are you alright?”  he asked watching her.

 

Val smiled up at him.  “This will be the first time leaving my grandmother’s house that I can honestly say, ‘Yes, I’m just fine.’”

 

((***))

  

Val watched Matheson drive off as he and Uncle Buddy got into his car, heading to Matheson's apartment.   She sat in her car a moment thinking about all that had happened.  Never did she realize how sick her grandmother was until that day.  A part of her wanted to be mad at Tameka, but her heart hurt for her cousin instead

 

She had always thought that Tameka was the pretty one, the special one, the one who got all her grandmother’s love when in fact she was treated worse than Val. It had all been an elaborate farce to destroy Val’s self esteem.  Beauty, Val now realized was in the eye of the beholder.  Val had always thought her grandmother was beautiful, but now she felt that she was the ugliest person she had ever seen.  Val thought that Tameka was beautiful, but to Ethel,  Tameka’s looks had been a curse, a constant reminder of a man that didn’t want her.  Val had always thought herself plain, but Matheson and her grandmother Mavis had always told her that she was beautiful. 

 

Val got out of the car and walked into the hospital.  She walked quietly into Tameka’s room and stared down at her.  She was asleep, her face pale, her body lifeless except for the rise and fall of her chest.   Her small arms were by her sides and she lay on her back, reminding her of a corpse. Val was so thankful. She was thankful for Mavis and thankful for Matheson.  There was no anger in her heart about what Tameka had done.  She had Matheson’s love and she knew that his love for her wasn’t going to change.  Tameka was the last connection she had to her father that she could bear to be around.  She couldn’t lose that now. She couldn’t let Ethel Chamberlayne win this fight.

 

Tameka opened her eyes surprised to see Val standing there.

 

“Val” she whispered, her voice filled with wonder. “You came back.”

 

The words hit Val like a ton of bricks as she thought about what Tameka had said to her earlier that day.  She came back.  She looked at Tameka’s face, full of apprehension.  Yes, she had come back.

 

Val fell on the bed and embraced her cousin and Tameka began to cry, her body shook as she sobbed.  “I-I’m so sorry, Val.”

 

“Meka” Val sniffed unable to hold back her own tears.   She kissed her cousin’s cheek.

 

“I love you, Meka.  I want you to get well.  We’re family.  You’re all I have left of my Daddy.”  Tameka continued to sob and Val placed her hands on either side of her face, forcing her to meet her gaze

 

“Fight this fight, Meka.  I need you.  We’re still the two amigos, right?” she looked at Tameka’s wary expression and touched her forehead to hers.  “Right?”

 

Tameka nodded, unable to answer for the sobs that escaped her throat.

 

“Nana can’t win.  We’ve got to stick together, right?”  Val insisted, wiping the tears from her cousin’s face while her own ran from her eyes.  “I want her to see us like we were before.  I want her to see that she didn’t break me and she didn’t break you either. You can beat this thing, Meka.  You have to want to live, and I want you to live because I need you!”

 

Tameka nodded and grinned slightly at Val.  “Two amigos?”  she asked hopefully.

 

“To the end!” Val whispered, hugging her tightly.

 

((***))

Chapter 43 A Taste of Insanity and Obsession by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson confronts his grandfather!

A Taste of Insanity and Obsession

 

 

Matheson had always considered himself to be a reasonable man.  He felt that he had always tried to be fair and considerate of others.  He’d tried to be a good son and an outstanding member of the business community. He had poured his life into Hannah’s in order for it to become a success, even at the expense of his own health.  His efforts reminded him of what his mother had once told him, that she had poured all she could into Hannah’s because she had been obsessed with his father.  He now understood obsession.

 

 

Matheson had always wondered if he had inherited any of his mother’s traits. It didn’t upset him now to realize that he was a lot like his mother.  His father and grandfather had often told him that he was a Hendricks through and through.  He looked like the Hendricks, he sounded like them and he was told that he only had a hint of his mother in him, and that was in his eyes.  He realized now something that he hadn’t thought about before.  He was also a Matheson.  His mother had named him Matheson to preserve her family name, and he laughed to himself at the irony of it all.  He looked like the Hendricks on the outside, but inside his head he was all Matheson and the Matheson’s were a crazy and obsessive family.

 

He was a history buff, and he had learned a lot by researching his family tree over the last few years, and also by talking to his mother’s older cousins. Recently he had even talked to  Mavis’ brother after he had learned of his connection to the family.  He learned from his sources that the Matheson’s did whatever they had to do when it came to love.  They loved obsessively and when they became fixated on something, Lord help anyone who got in their way.

He and Uncle Buddy had talked and he had learned even more about Val’s family.  He stored the information away for future use.  He took Buddy to the Omni and put him up in the best suite that they had available.  He told Buddy that he really didn’t have any food in his apartment and that he felt that he would be more comfortable at the Omni.

 

Buddy had reluctantly agreed after they had argued back and forth about who would pay for it.  Matheson had finally won the argument and Buddy had agreed to stay for two nights. Matheson had decided not to put him up at his place, because he had a plan.

 

He had then returned to the hospital after talking to Val on the phone, after finding out that she was still with Tameka. He was surprised that Val had forgiven Tameka so quickly even though she had played a role in the mess that had occurred.   He understood Val’s reasons for forgiving her cousin and didn’t debate with her on it.  If she was fine with it, so was he.  Matheson had walked into Tameka’s room unsure of what to expect.  He had found Tameka sitting up in the bed and Val was holding her hand.  He realized that she had lost at least thirty pounds and was a shell of the woman who had sprawled herself across his car and demanded that he take her picture with her phone.  That day seemed so long ago, another Tameka , another lifetime.  He realized that she had paid heavily for her betrayal.

 

He had talked to her and she had answered all of his questions and provided all the details she knew about her rape and abduction.  He couldn’t believe that his grandfather would go to such lengths to keep her quiet.  Matheson had made up in his mind that he would handle William Hendricks and he would do it his way.

 

He decided to call his grandfather on the phone, careful to keep his tone light and his voice casual and asked him if he would meet him at his apartment so that they could talk before he made this important decision to marry.  He had lied and told Gramps that he had been thinking about what he had said to him earlier and told him that he was still distraught about the pictures he had mysteriously received in the mail. His grandfather had readily agreed to come over and console him.  After that, he had called his mother, instinctly knowing that she would understand what he was about to do.  He quickly explained to her all that his grandfather had done and told her that he would handle it.  Emily had started to protest, but he told her that this was “Matheson” business not “Hendricks” business and she hadn’t argued with him.

 

“You understand that I have to handle this my way, don’t you Ma?” he asked quietly.

 

“You sound like my Papa” his mother had murmured, referring to her grandfather Emitt.

 

“Yeah, and I have to handle this like a Matheson.”  Matheson had responded, hanging up the phone.

 

 Matheson smiled to himself and looked at his watch.  It was half past three in the afternoon.  The dinner his mother was hosting was at eight.  He had all the time he needed.

 

((***))

 William Hendricks was surprised when Matheson called and asked him to meet him at his apartment to discuss his marriage.  Perhaps the boy was getting cold feet!  He was glad that he was getting something for the money he had shelled out!

 

William checked himself in the mirror, and told his wife Jessica that he would be back shortly.  Gregory was at his office and he noticed Emily watching him from the foyer as he was about to leave.  He was surprised when she didn’t ask him where he was going, but didn’t think twice about it and walked out the door.  He left when the cab pulled up to the door and gave them Matheson’s address.

The ride was about thirty minutes and he wondered if the pictures alone caused Matheson to have second thoughts.  Maybe the boy was coming to his senses and wanted his grandfather’s advice on how to let the girl down easily.  He smiled to himself.

 

He knocked on the door and Matheson opened it immediately.

 

“Come in Gramps”  Matheson said pointing to the sofa.  William Hendricks looked at his grandson and then walked over to the sofa and sat down.

 

“I was glad when you called me, Matheson” he said as he watched Matheson lock the door.  The room was dim and William wondered why the curtains were shut.  Matheson stood before him.

 

“I don’t think you’ll be so happy once you know why I asked you here, Gramps.”  Matheson replied, his voice like ice.

 

Gramps looked at him surprised. “What do you mean?”

 

He watched as Matheson picked up a knife from a nearby table.  It was a hunting knife, and it glistened in the small amount of light that came through the crack in the curtains. He was puzzled because he didn’t know that Matheson hunted, and wondered what he was going to do with it.  He watched as his grandson twirled the knife in his hands and was watching him with steely blue eyes, which was making him uneasy.

 

“You know Gramps”  Matheson said calmly walking over to him.  “You always prided yourself in telling me that I was a Hendricks through and through.”

Gramps looked up at him as Matheson continued to finger the knife.

 

“You are, my boy” Gramps remarked nervously, wondering what was going on and why he was playing with that very large and sharp looking knife.

 

Matheson chuckled.  “Oh really?  Do you think that I have any of my mother’s traits?”

 

Gramps watched him as he ran his finger along the sharp edge of the blade, never taking his eyes off his him.  Matheson was making him nervous and he wished that he would tell him what this was all about.

 

“What are you doing with that knife, Matheson?  Put it down!  You’re making me nervous!”  Gramps said with more bravado than he felt. “I thought you asked me over here for advice on ending this wedding with that colored girl!”

 

Before he knew what was happening, Matheson quickly pinned him back on the sofa and put the tip of the blade to his throat. Gramps looked up at his grandson, clearly shocked.  His grandson’s eyes were hard and he pushed the tip of the knife against his neck.

 

“You, old man are going to listen to what I have to say.”  Matheson growled angrily. He pushed the knife a little more and Gramps gasped at the pain.  “If you move, I’ll slit your throat.”  Matheson hissed.

 

Gramps was frozen on the spot, the knife pressing into his flesh.  Matheson looked at him with such hatred that his breath was taken away. 

 

“Why are you doing this?  Are you crazy?”  Gramps gasped, as fear took control of him. 

 

“Shut up!”  Matheson growled and Gramps could do nothing but comply. 

 

“Now as I was saying” Matheson calmly continued, releasing his grip on his grandfather.  Gramps began to cough, causing Matheson to pause.  Gramps looked up as Matheson still held the knife inches from him, and he wondered if there was any way he could escape. He looked around the room trying to think clearly.

“Don’t

even think about it.”  Matheson replied coldly, reading his thoughts.

 

“Why are you doing this, son?”  Gramps replied, trying to reason with him.  “What do you want from me?  Maybe we can talk this thing out…”  His voice trailed off as it appeared that Matheson was getting angrier with every word he spoke. He watched as Matheson fingered the knife, his eyes never leaving Gramps’ face.

 

“You will listen to me.  You say that I look like a Hendricks, but do you realize that I am also a Matheson?  I have the Matheson name and I have some of their family traits also.” Matheson replied calmly.   He fingered the knife some more and chuckled.  “You realize Gramps,  that everyone knows that my mother is a little off and maybe, just maybe I’ve inherited some of her tendencies.”

 

Gramps laughed nervously.  “Don’t say that! You’re not like her. I love Emily to death-“

 

“Sure you do.”  Matheson interrupted sarcastically.  “You loved that Matheson money she brought in.  You sold your son to her, didn’t you?”


“Now wait just a minute!”  Gramps snapped offended. He was about to stand before Matheson quickly put the knife to his throat again, drawing blood as the knife nicked his adam’s apple.

 

“Sit down”  Matheson hissed angrily.

 

Gramps sat back down and stared at his grandson.  He noticed that Matheson’ eyes were wild, which reminded him of Emily. He touched his neck, realizing that Matheson had broken the skin, and was thankful that the wound was a minor one.  He wouldn’t make that mistake again.

 

“Now I’m not complaining about what you did to get your business off the ground.”  Matheson continued.  “However seeing that you have dealt with my mother for years, I would think that you would realize that she would do bodily harm to anyone that tried to take my father from her.” He glared at Gramps.  “Remember, I am my mother’s son!”

 

He twirled the knife and Gramps wondered what point he was trying to make.

 

“Now you realize of course, that I poured myself into Hannah’s.”  Matheson continued, eying Gramps while still fingering the knife. “I worked my ass off, lost sleep, energy and sacrificed my manhood.”  He pointed the knife at his grandfather.  “I did it for the family business. The family has profited from my sweat, Gramps and that includes you!  I couldn’t function like a normal twenty something male because I overworked myself! I know for a fact that you learned of my shortcomings from Iris, since you sent her back here to attempt to seduce me. All work and no play made an impotent boy, Gramps.” His eyes narrowed to slits.  “I felt like less than a man because of the sacrifices I made for Hannah’s. I did everything I had to in order to help the business flourish.  All I wanted from you was acceptance of my choice of a wife.  Dad came to accept my decision as well as Mom, but not you!”

 

Gramps cleared his throat.  “I was only trying-“

 

“I know what you were trying to do!”  Matheson snapped putting the knife to his throat and nicking him again.  “So shut up! You were trying to make the woman I love, the woman who gave the me the one thing any man would prize from a woman, her virginity,  look like a slut.  I don’t appreciate that, Gramps! So shut up, and listen for once in your miserable life!”

 

Gramps complied, not knowing what else to do. He sat back on the sofa trying to get as far away from the knife as he could.  He watched as Matheson continued to run his finger along the blade.

 

“Anyway, I met VaLysia and I discovered that she WAS the one.  She’s my soul mate.  She completes me. It bothers me that you would try to ruin that for me. She’s mine and now I’ve become a little bit obsessive about her.” He wiped the blood that was on the knife onto his pants.  “I don’t expect you to understand that, old man, because all you see is the color of her skin. But I want you to understand this:  Not you or nor anyone else is going to stop me from marrying that woman.  She’s mine! Every luscious chocolate inch of her belongs to me and only me. After all, I am my mother’s son and I will do some serious harm to anyone who tries to hurt her or keep her from me.”

 

He stared at Gramps stunned face and put the knife back to his throat. He pressed it just a bit, causing his grandfather to squeal.

 

“Please, Matheson!” he begged.

 

“You’ve caused enough heartache and trouble, old man.  I could slit your throat for what you did to Val and Tameka and not shed a tear of regret!” he growled angrily.

 

“I didn’t-“ Gramps stammered fearing for his life.

 

“Don’t lie to me!  I know what you did!”  Matheson snapped.

 

“Ma-Matheson…”  Gramps stammered, attempting to reason with his grandson. “You don’t have to marry this girl!  I mean you could still have her like you say, but find a good and decent girl to marry. You’re the last of our male line.  Surely you understand that!  I realize now that have a thing for the darker breed, but you don’t have to give her your name!”

 

“You know, if you weren’t so pathetic, I’d slit your throat right now for saying that!”  Matheson replied calmly.  He pulled up a chair close to his grandfather and sat in it.  He leaned forward into Gramps personal space and touched his nose with the knife.

 

“Val is a good and decent girl, Gramps.  All you see is black girl.  I see a woman…a woman who helped me regain what I’d lost…a woman who satisfies all of my needs and desires.  She loves me, Gramps.  I love her.  I crave her!  Do you remember what that was like, to crave a woman…to crave the smell of her, to hunger for the taste her, to almost cum when she screams your name because you’re devouring her and can’t get enough of her sweet tasting pussy?  Do you, Gramps?”

 

“Sure, Matheson” Gramps gasped as the knife nicked his throat again.

 

“Well if you truly remembered what it was like,” Matheson growled “then you’d know that not just any old pussy will do.”

 

“Ma-Matheson, you’ve never talked like this to me before!”  Gramps gasped horrified.

 

“I am after all my mother’s son.”  Matheson replied chuckling. “My mother never minced words when it came to sex if that’s what it took to get her point across. We’re two men. You remember what it was like to want a woman and only that woman, don’t you? I don’t have to be shy around you, do I Gramps?”  He took the knife and touched his Grandfather’s throat again.

 

“Of course not, Matheson” was all Gramps could say. He watched as Matheson wiped the knife on his pants again and wondered how he was going to get out of there.

 

“Well I’m taking my time to explain a few things to you, because you’re from ancient times, Jim Crow I think they called it, and you just don’t seem to get it. You think that because she’s black, that I should just ignore my feelings and marry white regardless of the fact that I’m in love with Val.”  Matheson continued.  “You have been meddling in my life and I don’t appreciate it!”  He pointed the knife.  “I’ve tried to reason with you, but you are not a reasonable man and as you say, extreme situations calls for extreme actions, right?”

He grinned at Gramps, but he narrowed his eyes causing the old man to sweat more than he had when the knife was placed to his throat. His mind raced as he wondered what Matheson wanted from him.

 

“Wha-what  are you going to do?” Gramps whispered, clearly shaken.

 

“Do?”  Matheson asked twirling the knife.  “I just wanted to have a friendly conversation with my grandfather…you know, make him understand my point of view. I wanted you to understand that when you love a woman like I love Val and someone tries to come between us, it makes me a little bit unstable …and insane.”

 

He laughed, twirling the knife.  “My behavior must be the end result of two cousins marrying. Mom can get a little crazy and as you can see, I can too.”

 

“Ok…I get it.  You’re marrying her.  Can I go now?”  Gramps pleaded.

 

“No.”  Matheson replied calmly still twirling the knife.  “We have to discuss Val’s cousin, Tameka and you providing adequate compensation for the damage you caused!”

 

“Compensation?”  Gramps replied raising his voice.  “That little whore-“

 

Matheson quickly put the knife to his grandfather’s throat again.  “That little whore, as you put it” he hissed at Gramps “will be paid.  After all, whores do get paid, don’t they, Gramps?”

 

He wiggled his eyebrows mockingly at him, and Gramps thought that he had gone mad for sure.

 

“I gave her money!”  Gramps protested feebly.

 

“Money that you took back.”  Matheson reminded him.  He grinned at Gramps shocked expression.  “Oh yes, she told me.  You see, she remembers everything.”

 

He pointed the knife at Gramps.  “Your little mind potion didn’t cause her to lose her memory after all.  All it did was cause her to become suicidal and paranoid, and for that she will be compensated.  Also, I’m holding you responsible for the rape as well as for what happened to Val.”  He eyed his Grandfather and then pressed the knife into his throat again.  “How much did you pay those men for their little job at the club?”

 

“Pay?  What are you talking about?”  Gramps cried.

 

Matheson pressed the knife harder causing him to cry out.  The nick was a little deeper this time and he watched the blood pool on the knife.  “Don’t play with me, old man!”

 

“Ten thousand apiece!”  Gramps responded. “Please, Matheson…”

 

Matheson removed the knife and watched as Gramps rubbed his neck.  “You’re crazy.”

 

“Ah, well we all have our little quirks, don’t we?”  Matheson chuckled.  “Like for instance, I learned that Emitt Matheson, Mom’s grandfather loved knives.”  He twirled the knife.  “Did you know that Gramps?”

 

Gramps shook his head negatively, watching Matheson fingering the knife.

 

“Well I did a little research on both sides of my family after a particularly revealing conversation I had with Mavis. Now the Hendricks men tend to be manipulators…but the Mathesons…they cut.  My grandfather would hit women…but he’d cut men….must be a family thing.” He chuckled again.

 

He twirled the knife some more, his eyes never leaving Gramps.

 

“So you see, Gramps you have some making up to do unless you want some more of my little friend here.  You will pay all of Tameka’s medical bills.  You will compensate her for her lost wages.  You will buy her a nice condo to live in and give her $15,000.”

 

“You’re crazy!”  Gramps snapped. “I will do no such thing!”

 

Matheson patted the knife in his palm, ignoring the outburst.

 

“I would have made it $30 thousand, but she did bring some of this upon herself.  So to be fair, I will only require half of that.”  Matheson replied coldly.

 

“I’ll tell Gregory and Emily!”  Gramps threatened.  “They’ll have you committed. You’ve gone mad for sure!”

 

Matheson laughed.  “If I’m mad, then you’ve pushed me to that point! I don’t think you’ll be telling anybody anything.  Do you want Tameka to go to the police?  Do you want Tameka to tell them how you enlisted her help to try to set Val up, resulting in her rape?  Do you want her to tell all about her kidnapping?” 

 

“It’s her word against mine!”  Gramps snapped.  “No one will believe a lying little whore.”

 

Matheson pointed the knife at him.  “I don’t appreciate you talking about my wife’s family like that, Gramps. You realize of course, that her apartment complex has video cameras.”  He laughed at the surprised look on his grandfather’s face.

 

“Oh yes.” Matheson continued.  “Your men were careful to conceal their faces when they kidnapped her, but you Gramps, were not so subtle when you came to Tameka’s to give her that money. I’m surprised that you delivered it yourself…a big mistake!”

 

“You’re lying!  That rathole she lives in doesn’t have any cameras!” Gramps snapped, trying not to panic.

 

“Sure it does.”  Matheson continued, calmly twirling the knife.  “The police set up cameras due to the drug activity there…you know to keep the riff raff out.  I’m sure that if I give them the date that you came by there...and  Gramps, Tameka does remember the date, they will be happy to investigate her story.”

 

“What do you want from me?”  Gramps replied grumbling in defeat.

 

“You will tell Val that you have decided to accept our marriage with your blessing at the dinner tonight.  You will fulfill your requirements that I have given you for compensating Tameka.  This conversation, this bonding time between the two of us is just that, between the two of us.  If I even get a hint of you telling anybody, I’m going to the police and I mean it.”

 

Gramps looked at him.  “How do you know that girl won’t say anything?”

 

“I’ve talked to Tameka.”  Matheson replied.  “I promised her that I would get you to leave her alone, that’s all she wants. The compensation is all my idea.  I’m sure she will be pleased by your generous gesture.”  He pointed the knife again.  “And you will leave her alone, won’t you Gramps?”

 

Gramps rubbed his neck where Matheson had nicked with the knife.  “Of course…whatever you say, Matheson. Can I go now?”

 

Matheson grinned and stood up and unlocked the door.  “Of course.  I expect you to wire me the money we discussed by next week. I’ll see you at dinner tonight.  Shall I call you a cab?”

 

Gramps hands shook with fear, happy that his grandson was allowing him to leave.  “No..no..I’ll take care of it” he responded, quickly exiting the apartment.

He stepped outside of the apartment still shaking and Matheson slammed the door behind him.

 

 

 

Hunting Knife

Chapter 44 Dinner and Destiny by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

The family gets together on the eve of the wedding for dinner!

Dinner and Destiny

 

 Matheson dressed in the black suit and white bow tie and shirt that his mother had instructed him to wear, still thinking about his interaction with his grandfather.  He knew that things had gotten way out of hand; however, his grandfather had to learn a lesson.  There were some people who would not listen to reason and they had to be shown that he was serious.  He felt pretty sure that his grandfather now understood him quite well.

 

He smiled to himself.  His mother had called him worried about what was going on and he had assured her that everything was fine.  He looked at his watch.  He needed to leave the apartment now in order to pick up Val on time.

 

He quickly drove to her apartment and he was pleasantly surprised when she came outside dressed in a shimmery navy blue dress that was low in the front and hugged her hips.  Matheson’s mouth began to water. It has been a while since they had been together, and he missed her.  Well she would be all his in another day and he tried to calm himself.

 

“You look beautiful” he said opening the door for her.  “If I didn’t think my mother would kick down the door of my apartment, I’d take you back there and have my way with you right now.” He leaned into the back of her neck and inhales her scent before giving her a quick kiss.

 

Val smiled.  “Well there’s always after dinner. Maybe I can work something out.”

 

It didn’t take him long to arrive at his parents home and they walked into the front door, knowing that the kitchen was most likely overrun with the hired help his mother had there.

 

Mavis and Langston were in the den with his father as well as his grandparents.  Matheson spoke and smiled and his grandfather wouldn’t meet his gaze.

 

“Your mother has gone all out” Gregory said shaking his head.  “I’m almost afraid to go in there and check on her.”

 

“Chicken!”  Matheson replied laughing.

 

“Cluck! Cluck!” Gregory answered.

 

“How are you doing, Mavis?”  Matheson asked grinning at her. He bent down and kissed her cheek.

 

“I’m fine Matheson.”  She turned to Val.  “Baby you look beautiful!”

 

“You certainly do!”  Langston agreed nodding.

 

“Thank you Langston”  Val replied.  “Thanks for bringing Grandma.”

 

“No problem”  he replied crossing his legs.  “I’m just happy to be included.”

 

“Val wouldn’t have it any other way” Mavis insisted.  “She’s beautiful on the inside as well as the outside!”

 

“Thanks, Grandma” Val replied. She looked at Matheson’s grandparents.

 

“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Hendricks” she said timidly.  “I’m glad that you could be here to help me and Matheson celebrate.”

 

Gramps glanced at her.  “Well I know that the boy really loves you, so I guess that’s all that matters.” He said finally.

 

“Well thank you Gramps” Matheson replied.

 

Just then Hannah walked in with her arm linked in a man’s who was obviously her date. Matheson raised his eyebrow as all eyes were on the two of them.

 

“Hello everyone, this is Emilio” she said staring defiantly at her father.  She walked over to Matheson. “This is my nephew and his bride to be” she said to Emilio who grinned at them.

 

“Hello” Emilio said smiling. “Congratulations. Your aunt has told me of her fondness for her favorite nephew.”

 

Val was taken aback.  Emilio was devilishly handsome and she was surprised when he took her hand and kissed it.  His voice was a smooth and deep and extremely sexy with his Hispanic accent.  Where did Hannah get this one from?

 

Hannah walked over to her mother holding Emilio’s hand.  “This is my mother.”

 

“Mrs. Hendricks.  It is a pleasure” Emilio murmured.  “I can see where your daughter gets her beauty.”

 

He kissed her hand and Matheson’s Grandmother blushed and giggled like a schoolgirl, already taken in by Emilio’s charm.

 

Matheson smiled. Oh this one was a smooth talker for sure! He knew that he had to be in order to win over his aunt! This was going to be an interesting dinner for sure!

 

Hannah watched as Emilio introduced himself to her father.  She had told him about the argument that she had with her father earlier, but Emilio seemed unfazed by it.  Her father seemed somewhat subdued, which surprised her.  She wondered what was up.

 

The doorbell rang and Matheson went to answer it.  It was his uncle Billy and his wife Felecia and he quickly led them into the den where the rest of the family was.  He then decided to go check on his mother and see how much longer dinner would be.

 

His mother was rushing around in a beautiful green evening dress.  Her red hair was piled high on her head and Matheson thought that she looked as if she was ready to go to the prom. 

 

“Ma, really” he said shaking his head.  “I don’t know why you demanded that everyone dress up for this.  It’s just a simple dinner.” He looked around the table that was set.

 

She had replaced the dining table with one that seated twenty people.  Luckily the room was big enough to allow it.  The table was lavishing set with the best of her crystal and place settings that belonged to her mother.    She had hired  several waiters to help serve the guests as well as a chef to prepare the food.

 

“Indulge me, Matheson” she said pointing to her cheek for him to kiss.  “I see you have on your suit and tie.  I didn’t demand that you wear a tux.  Be grateful for that!”

 

“I am” he replied chuckling.  He watched as one of the waiters came out of the kitchen carrying a tray with wine and another had a tray of food that they took into the den to serve the guests.

 

“Is everyone here?” she asked looking around and checking the place settings for the third time since he came into the room.  She had place cards on the table indicating where everyone was seated.

 

“We’re waiting on Val’s uncle. He was supposed to arrive in  a cab”  Matheson replied just as the doorbell rang again.  “Well that must be him.”

 

Emily quickly grabbed her son by the arm and pulled him aside. “What happened with Papa, Matheson.”  She whispered.  “He appeared to be quite shaken when he returned.”

 

“I introduced him to my little friend”  Matheson admitted sheepishly. “The one that belonged to you father.”

 

“You didn’t cut him, did you” she asked shocked.  “Papa used to love to cut people.”

 

“I nicked him a bit, but he’s fine.”  Matheson chuckled.

 

“That wasn’t very nice, Matheson”  she scolded. “Even though I understand your logic.”

 

“He had it coming”  Matheson replied.  “He tried to break up me and Val.  I’m not having that and I was tired of his meddling.”

 

Emily smiled.  “Well I’m glad that he came to his senses.”

 

“With the help of my little friend.”  Matheson replied firmly.

 

Emily looked around again.  “Well it’s time.  Go and get everyone and tell them dinner is served.”

 

“Where’s Dad?”  Matheson asked looking around.

 

“I made him change his tie.”  Emily said walking around the table and checking it again. “It had a spot on it.”

 

Matheson left the dining room and returned to the den which was now crowded.

 

“Dinner is served” he announced and everyone followed him to the dining room.

 

Matheson helped Mavis to her seat and then pulled out the chair for Val who was seated next to her grandmother. Langston sat next to Mavis and Matheson then sat down beside Val.

 

Emily stood at the head of the table beaming after everyone had been seated.

 

“Good evening, family” she said smiling.  “We are celebrating the union of my son Matheson to VaLysia whose grandmother has been a mother to me all my life!”  Her voice cracked with emotion.  “Now we are really going to be a family!  I can’t wait for grandbabies!”

 

Gregory laughed.  “Let’s get through the ceremony first, can we?”

 

“I am sure that everyone wants to give well wishes to the happy couple” Emily continued.  “So before we eat, we will go around the table and give everyone a chance to say something.”

 

Matheson listened intently as his Aunt Hannah started things off.

 

“I love you Matheson” she said warmly.  “You are the best nephew any woman could ask for.  I’m happy for you and VaLysia and I wish you all the best.”

 

“Thank you Aunt Hannah” Matheson replied.

 

“Well Matheson, my boy” Billy said.  “I am so happy for you.  You have found something that a lot of people are still searching for…your soul mate.  I wish you all the best.”

 

Matheson listened as good sentiments were offered up from around the table.  His grandfather sat there staring off into space until Gregory called his name.

 

“Alright Pop” Gregory said expectantly.  “Do you have something you wish to say?”

 

William Hendricks eyes went around the table.  What was wrong with these people?  Matheson was a lunatic that had almost killed him! They were now congratulating him on his foolish decision!  Imbeciles!

 

“I think this entire family has gone mad” Gramps snapped angrily. “Matheson is seriously unbalanced!  He tried to kill me today!” 

 

Everyone gasped in disbelief at Gramps outburst.

 

“As for my daughter, she has lowered herself and picked up some Mexican gigilo and I’m supposed to be happy about it?  I have nothing to be happy about tonight.” Gramps replied.  “Matheson may end my life tonight because I spoke my mind, but so be it.  At least I’ll go telling you all the truth!”

 

Jessica looked at her husband.  “Really William, must you be so dramatic?  This is a happy occasion.  Matheson is getting married and there’s nothing you can do about it. Don’t start making up stuff to get back at him just because he won’t do what you ask!”

 

William leaned on the table and fixed his gaze on Val.  “He’s crazy, you know.  He tried to kill me today because he’s so in love with you!  You had better watch out because he’ll probably be following you everywhere you go!  He’ll most likely accuse you of cheating every time you’re five minutes late coming home, and then he’ll put a knife to your throat too.”

 

Val gasped and looked at Matheson whose face had taken on a deadly expression.  She felt herself shudder.

 

“You know I’m telling the truth, girl”  he continued, pointing to Val.  “He’s mad I tell you, a lunatic in hiding!”

 

“Really, Pop.”  Gregory replied disgusted.  “I can’t believe that you’d make up these lies to try to cause trouble!”  He looked at Matheson.  “What do you have to say about his outrageous accusations, son?”

 

“What can I say?” Matheson replied,  still staring at Gramps. “Gramps lives in his world, and I live in mine!’

 

“Exactly!”  Gregory replied. “He’s gone over the deep end for sure!”

 

“Matheson’s right! Our father came to my room and threatened me!”  Hannah accused.  “I think Papa is losing his mind.  Must be old age.”

 

“You will be taken for every cent you’ve got!”  William snapped at Hannah before turning to Matheson.  “And you have ruined my family marrying this colored girl who is well beneath you!  There I’ve said it!  I’m an old man and I don’t have that much longer anyway, so go ahead and kill me, Matheson!”

 

Everyone around the table was staring at William as if he had lost his mind.

 

“Ma, I think we need to call someone” Gregory said looking at his mother. “Obviously Pop is not well.”

 

“I agree” Billy said.  “Maybe he needs some time to rest…in a quiet place.”

 

“You’re not putting me in a nuthouse!” William protested.  “I’m perfectly sane.  Tell them Jessica!”

 

Jessica looked at him confused.  “You have been behaving strangely lately, William” she confessed.  “Matheson is the most caring and gentle soul I have ever seen-“

 

“He had me fooled too!”  William insisted.  “He’s a murderer!  He’s insane, not me!”

 

“That’s enough.”  Billy said looking at Gregory.  “I know someone I can call.”

 

“Who are you going to call?”  William insisted.   “I’m not the one crazy, Matheson is!  He tried to stab me with a knife!”  He pointed to Val.  “He’ll probably try to kill you in your sleep, girl.”

 

Val gasped.  “I doubt that, Mr. Hendricks!”

 

“He’s worse than I thought.”  Hannah said to Gregory. “What should we do?” 

 

“I’ve called someone.”  Billy replied returning to the table.   He looked at his father.  “We’re going to eat together now, Papa…and you’re going to stay calm and enjoy your dinner, understand?”

 

“What are you talking about, Billy?” he snapped.  “Why won’t anyone listen to me?”

 

“Pop, you need to calm down.”  Gregory replied.  He looked at Emily.  “Let’s not let his outbursts ruin the evening.  Help is on the way.  Let’s eat.”

 

“There’s nothing wrong with me!”  William insisted looking at his wife.  “Tell them Jessica.”

 

“You have been acting quite strange, dear” Jessica admitted.  She looked at Gregory.  “You and Billy do what you feel is best.  I will cooperate in whatever you say.”

 

“Gramps” Matheson said fingering the dinner knife.  “You will behave, or I’ll have to escort you to your room until the help you need arrives.  I will even sit with you there, if necessary.”

 

The hidden meaning of Matheson’s words was clear to William Hendricks.

 

Gramps saw Matheson fingering the butter knife on the table and looked around the table.  No one else seemed to notice.  He swallowed hard and looked down at his plate.

 

“Let’s eat” he mumbled in defeat.

 

Dinner continued without further incident and everyone was quiet around the table.  Matheson glanced at Val whose eyes were on her plate.

 

“Alright everyone” Emily said standing.  “This is not a funeral. This is a celebration, so we’ll go around the table and we are going to tell one intimate truth we’ve learned by being in a relationship that will help Val and Matheson with their relationship.  That should lighten things up.”

 

“You’re not going to talk about sex are you?” Hannah asked.  “Really Emily, it’s not appropriate!”

 

“Can you contribute anything Hannah?”  Emily replied grinning. “It doesn’t have to be sexual, but I’m all ears.”

 

Hannah’s face turned red and she continued to eat.

 

“Alright, one intimate truth.  No one can pass on this.  Let’s get started.”  She looked around the table.  “I’ll take volunteers, but if you don’t volunteer, I’m going to draft you.”

 

No one said anything and everyone looked around at each other.

 

“Fine!”  Emily replied.  “We’ll start with Felecia.  Felecia, tell us one intimate truth that will help Matheson and Val.”

 

Felecia stared at Emily a moment with her mouth open.

 

“I-I don’t know Emily…”

 

“Don’t be shy!”  Emily insisted.  “Surely Billy does something right in bed!  C’mon now!”

 

“Don’t you say a word!” Billy insisted.

 

“Your turn is coming up!”  Emily warned looking at Billy.

 

“Well” Felecia said thoughtfully.  “My advice for Val is to try to be patient when you want sex and they don’t and for Matheson try to give it when he doesn’t feel like it.”

 

“Felicia!”  Billy snapped appalled.

 

“Now Billy, no one feels like it all the time.”  Emily said.  “Don’t be so defensive.”  She looked at Matheson.  “Did you get anything out of that, son?”

 

“Of course.”  He looked at Felicia.  “Thanks, Aunt Felicia.”

 

“Alright then” Emily continued.  “Billy it’s your turn.”

 

Billy grunted.  “I’m not participating in this asinine game!”

 

“Well if you don’t, I’ll just get Felicia to go again.”  Emily replied calmly.

 

“Fine!”  Billy grumbled looking around.

 

“Matheson, even when they don’t fix themselves up, try to concentrate on what she looked like the day you married her and then maybe you’ll be able to keep it up long enough to get through the sex!”

 

Felicia gasped.  “What the hell does that mean?”

 

“Now Felicia, we can’t go getting defensive!”  Emily replied.  “None of us look good all the time.”

 

“Val’s Uncle Buddy, do you have something?”  Emily asked looking at the old man.

 

“Yes” Buddy replied.  “Hold her tight, especially at night.”

 

Everyone laughed at Buddy’s comment.

 

“Gregory, you go next” Emily instructed looking at her husband.

 

“Son” he said looking at Matheson.  “If they talk too much…stick something in their mouth.”

 

Matheson chuckled and Emily glared at her husband.

 

“You’d better be glad I like you sticking that something in my mouth” she hissed.

 

“Too much information!”  Hannah snapped.  “Emily let’s stop this game!  You’re embarrassing my mother!”

 

“Are you embarrassed?”  Emily asked looking at Jessica.

 

“Not at all” Jessica replied grinning. “Please continue.”

 

Emily looked around the table.  “Emilio, can you offer some words of wisdom?”

 

“Ah” Emilio said grinning.  “Try to discover something new about her everyday.  Try to locate some sensitive spot and keep it in your memory for future use, especially when she is being disobedient.”  He looked at Hannah and grinned and Hannah rolled her eyes.

 

Emily smiled.  “Hannah”

 

Hannah glared at her and remained silent.

 

“If you don’t participate, we’ll go back to Emilio for seconds” Emily warned.

 

“Be patient with each other” Hannah said still glaring at Emily.  “Remember that intimacy takes time and is a learned thing between a man and woman.”

 

“Excellent advice!”  Emily squealed.  She looked at Emilio.  “My hat is off to you, Emilio!”

 

“Langston, your turn” Emily said nodding.

 

“Well…enjoy each day with each other like it is your last” he said glancing at Mavis.  “Because you never know if it is…and tell her you love her every day.”

 

“Mavis” Emily said nodding.

 

“Keep God in everything” Mavis replied.  “Even in your bedroom because he created everything and nothing is new to him.  It was God who created the desires you have for each other and he ordained it when he clearly said that it wasn’t good for man to be alone.   So you become one in more ways than just when you have sex.  You are one in everything.”

 

She glanced at Matheson whose face was red and he looked at Val who was still looking down at her plate.

 

“Mama Jessica” Emily said looking at Jessica.

 

“Well…”  Matheson’s grandmother said thoughtfully.  “Don’t go to bed angry.  Get it straight before you go to sleep.”

 

Everyone nodded in agreement.  Emily decided not to ask Gregory’s father since he had been so disagreeable.  She looked around the table a moment and then looked at Matheson and Val.

 

“OK, it’s my turn” she said grinning.

 

“Try new things.  I have a copy of my pleasure book that I’m presenting to both on you on the eve of your wedding.”  She said grinning. “All I have to say is be loving towards each other and everything will work out.”

 

She looked at Matheson and Val.  “Now that wasn’t so bad was it?”

 

“No.” Matheson replied grinning.  “Thank you all for some excellent advice.”

 

“Thank you for the book, Emily” Val said flipping through it.  “I’m sure we will put it to good use.”

 

“All of you are damn fools!”  William replied disgusted.  “Talking about sex at the dinner table, racial mixing, and interracial marriage! The whole damn world’s gone mad!”

 

“No, Pop” Gregory responded.  “Times are changing and we have to change with them”

 

Dessert was served and the conversation continued.  William got up and left the table.  He couldn’t take another moment of this so called dinner.  He returned to his room and planned on packing and preparing to return to Florida.

 

There was a knock on the door and Billy came into the room.

 

“Papa, I’ve made arrangements for you to check into the Mayo Clinic.  We think you need to be checked out.”  Billy said.  “We all agree and it’s all set.”

 

“I’m not going anywhere!”  William protested.

 

“You will go” Billy replied.  “Remember you signed over Power of Attorney for you and Mama if something should happen.  I’m admitting you when we return home.”

 

“You can’t do that!”  William insisted.

 

“You will agree to it, Papa” he stressed.  “Matheson told us what you did to that young lady.  We don’t want to see you in jail so this is the next best thing.  I convinced Matheson that it must be mental and he agreed with me, so you will go and get treatment.”

 

“He tried to kill me!”  William protested. “What about that?”

 

“Really Papa, you expect me to believe that Matheson tried to take your life?  What’s wrong with you?  Matheson wouldn’t hurt a fly.”  Billy said shaking his head.

 

“That colored girl has gotten into his head!  He’ll do anything for her.  Don’t you understand?”  William protested.

 

“I understand that you need help and you’re going to get it.”  Billy replied.  “Either you go voluntarily or I will commit you myself.”  He stared at his father.  “I will do it.  Believe me, I will!”

 

William sat on the bed defeated.  “What about Jessica?  She needs taking care of.”

 

“She will stay with me and Felicia until you get better.”  Billy replied.

 

He patted his father on the shoulder.  “Believe me, Papa.  It’s for the best.”

 

Everyone had retired to the music room and Matheson played some jazz music.

 

“Tomorrow you’ll be my wife” he said pulling Val into his arms.

 

“I know” she replied. “You know it’s bad luck for the groom to see the bride the day of the wedding, so after I leave here, I’m going home alone.”

 

Matheson looked surprised.  “I wanted you to come over my place.”

 

“Nope” Val replied.

 

“But it’s been like forever!”  he protested.  “I need a fix.”

 

“Not tonight” she said grinning. “I have to be home before midnight or else the bad luck will come.”

 

Matheson looked at his watch.  “It’s only a little after nine.  Can’t I get a quickie?”

 

Val shook her head.  “And where will you get this quickie, Mr. Hendricks? We’re in your parent’s house you know…full of our family!”

 

Matheson was quiet a moment and she walked over to Mavis and Langston and sat down and began to talk to them.  He tried not to be frustrated, but tomorrow was going to be a long day and it would be late before they would be alone.  His mind raced as he tried to think of something.

 

That dress she was wearing was giving him a hard on in the worst way and he tried to think of something else other than pushing it up and having his way with her.  It was a difficult task.  He went into the kitchen to get a drink.

 

“Matheson, is everything alright?”  his mother asked when she came into the kitchen.

 

“I’m fine, Ma” he said giving her a weak smile.  “I’m just getting something to drink.”

 

Emily stared at him a moment.

 

“You’re not getting nervous are you?”  she asked anxiously.

 

“Of course not!”  he replied.  “I can’t wait to be married.”

 

“I see” Emily said studying him.

 

“What?”  he snapped unable to take any more of her scrutiny.

 

“I need you to take Val up to your old room and see if she wants the quilt that Mavis made for you.”  Emily replied. “It’s at the foot of your bed.”

 

“Ma, we don’t have time for that!”  he objected.

 

“Oh I think you do” Emily said looking at him with a slight smile on her face. “In fact, I’ll tell her myself. You go on up and I’ll send her to you and keep everyone busy down here.”

 

Matheson ran his hand through his hair and wondered if his mother was having one of her moments.  He then remembered how his mother had looked at him sort of up and down, and he realized that she knew!  His face flushed realizing that his mother had figured out that he was horny as hell!  He didn’t know whether to kiss her for sending Val up to his room, or to go and hide under a rock somewhere.

 

He went up the back steps and opened the door to his old room.  The quilt that Mavis had made for him was at the foot of the bed like she said.

 

Matheson heard a light tap on the door and Val opened it up and came in.

 

“So what’s the emergency?”  she asked looking at him.

 

“I think my mother was trying to help me out with my problem” Matheson replied sheepishly.  “I didn’t realize that it was so obvious how horny I am.”

 

Val laughed.  “Your mother is something else.  You have been looking a little frustrated lately. That’s probably how she put it together.”

 

He pulled her into his arms.  “I can wait.  We can’t do it with all those people downstairs even though Ma said that she would hold them at bay. “

 

Val kissed him.  “Well I could meet you halfway” she said unzipping his pants. “It has been a while for us.  Just don’t mess up my hair!”

 

She made him sit on the bed and took him into her mouth and he groaned.  His hand was itching to hold her head as she moved up and down his shaft, but he resisted the urge.  Instead he talked to her telling her how much he loved her and what he was going to do to her after they were married.

 

“Val…I’m cumming” he hissed as she continued to move up and down him rapidly, sucking hard.

 

Matheson soon stiffened with his release and tried not to make too much noise.  He fell back on the bed and Val then quickly kissed him, giving him the remainder of the contents in her mouth that she hadn’t swallowed which took him by surprise.  She broke the kiss and grinned at him.

 

“Alright husband almost” she said giggling.  “We’d better go back downstairs.”

 

“Where did you learn that little trick” he asked wiping his mouth.

 

“From your mother’s Pleasure Book” she said straightening her dress.  “I took a peek”

 

Matheson made a mental note to thank his mother for her gift and tried not to think about her doing that to his father.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 45 To Love and To Cherish by Brenda1257
Author's Notes:

Matheson and Val's wedding.  Not for the faint at heart or for the sexually conservative.   You have been warned!!!! 

To Love and to Cherish

 

Matheson stood in front of the church perfectly calm.  The day had finally arrived and he was going to claim his bride. He wasn’t the least bit nervous and he looked at Gary who was his best man, and smiled.

 

Matheson glanced around the church as he stood next to Reverend Williamson at the small crowd of friends and family.    Since he and Val had insisted on a small wedding, his mother had gotten around them by throwing a huge reception, and he knew that there were over three hundred people awaiting their arrival.

 

He smiled as Val came in with Mavis by her side.  He thought she looked beautiful in her long traditional white gown and veil.  She came and stood beside him as they both stood in front of Rev. Williamson.

 

Val tried not to stare at Matheson as she walked in with her grandmother.  He had on a black tux with a white tie and she thought that he was very handsome.  He was finally going to be hers and she was going to be Mrs. Matheson Hendricks.  She smiled as tried to concentrate on what Reverend Williamson was saying.

 

Emily sat next to Gregory and could hardly keep still.  They were finally going to be a real family!  She couldn’t wait until the babies started coming.  She hoped that Val and Matheson would have more than just one.  A boy and a girl would be nice.  She hoped that Matheson had read the pleasure book.  She wanted her son to have a fantastic honeymoon and she wanted both of them to have multiple orgasms.  She felt tears in her eyes as she stared at them.  She looked at Gregory and squeezed his leg, smiling.

 

Gregory looked at his wife who was shifting nervously in her seat.  He knew that she was excited about this wedding.  Their only son was getting married and Gregory had to admit that he was happy.  He knew that Matheson and Val loved each other and that was the most important thing.  It was funny how things can grow on you.  He had been against this interracial union at first, but he couldn’t argue with the love he saw between them.  He just wanted his boy to be happy.

 

Hannah squeezed Emilio’s hand. Her nephew was getting married to the love of his life!  She was so happy for him.  So proud of the integrity he had shown in the midst of adversity.  She was so glad that they were closer now than they had ever been and that she was a part of his life.  She and Emily had made a truce of sorts for Matheson’s sake.  She tried not to look too smug when Emily confessed to her that one of the things that irritated her was that Matheson looked a lot like her when she smiled, which was why she had always tried to provoke her.  Secretly Hannah was pleased with Emily’s confession.

 

Billy stared at the couple wondering how long the marital bliss would last.  He didn’t wish to be cynical, but most marriages didn’t last very long these days.  Still if Matheson was anything like his mother, he would do everything possible to make the marriage work.  He didn’t doubt that one bit.  He glanced over at his sister in law and saw that she was on the edge of her seat watching her son and his new bride.  He smirked remembering how she had called Felicia and instructed her to give him a blow job.  He had to admit that it was very erotic and even returning the favor hadn’t been all that bad.  Felecia had cooked him dinner every night that week, after she told him that his oral performance had given her the best orgasm she had in years.  He wished he had talked to Emily years ago!

 

Mavis stood next to Val and then stepped back and nodded to Langston who walked over to the pianist that was playing music softly.

 

He stood next to the piano and began singing the Lord’s Prayer.  Val was surprised as she didn’t know that Langston could sing and she realized that her Grandmother must have put him up to it.  He had a nice tenor voice and she tried not to cry as she listened to the words.

 

“Our Father…

 

“Which art in heaven…

 

“Hallowed be….thy name….

 

“Thy kingdom come….

 

“Thy will be  done…

 

“On earth…as it is…in heaven…

 

“Give us this day…

 

“Our daily bread…

 

“And forgive us our debts…

 

“As we forgive our debtors….

 

“And lead us not into temptation…

 

“But deliver us from evil…

 

“For thine is the kingdom…

 

“And the power….

 

“And the glory….

 

“Forever…..

 

“Amen…..

 

Val felt the tears threatened to fall as she listened to Langston sing.  She looked at Matheson who was smiling at her.  Gary, Matheson’s friend and co worker stood by his side as his best man.  Everything was perfect.

 

Langston finished the song and looked at the bride and groom and immediately thought about his father and Lilly.  Such unions had been illegal during their time and he couldn’t help but wonder what his life would have been like if his father had been able to be with the woman he loved.  He was glad that he now had a sister and a friend.  They had grown closer with the writing of the book, and Mavis had told him that she was glad that she now had a brother in her life.

 

Reverend Williamson continued with the ceremony and they recited the vows that each of them had written, and Val felt herself choke as she listened to Matheson declare his undying love and faithfulness to her.  She felt that she was the luckiest woman alive and knew that she would do whatever she could to make him happy. His eyes bore into her as she declared her love for him and her promise of fidelity.  She knew that he was memorizing every word and she knew that he would hold her to all she had promised before all of their family and God.

 

Gary handed Matheson her ring and he slipped the band on her finger and she did the same for him.  He held her hand a moment and squeezed it, smiling at her and she knew that he was thinking about all that their rings represented.

 

When it came time to kiss the bride, he kissed her passionately.  “You’re mine forever” he whispered before letting her go. They turned and faced the clapping crowd of well-wishers.

 

They were man and wife.  They were now one, and nothing was going to come between them.  Matheson clutched her possessively around her waist and smiled. This was the happiest day of his life.

 

They took pictures and greeted all of the guests before they headed to the reception.  They stopped and hugged all of their family members and waved as they left the church.

 

Val was surprised that Matheson had ordered an open carriage for them to ride to the reception in.  It was being pulled by four white horses and she wondered how they were going to get there in one piece.   She then discovered that they had a police escort.  She felt like a princess and waved happily at the crowd as they departed.

 

They arrived at the reception which was held at the Harbor Court Baltimore which was on the waterfront.  Emily had outdone herself and had invited half of Baltimore it seemed.  Emily has also reserved their best room for Matheson and Val  to stay in before they left for their honeymoon.

 

It was after midnight before the guests began to thin out and Matheson looked around for Val.  He spotted her talking to her boss, as he and his wife were about to leave.

 

He walked up to her and put his arm around her waist.

 

“I’m ready to check out our suite, Mrs. Hendricks” he growled in her ear.

 

She looked at him.  “Oh really?”

 

“Yeah, now!”  he demanded leading her to the elevator.

 

“I’m surprised you lasted this long” she replied giggling.

 

He quickly ushered her onto the elevator and pushed the button to the penthouse.

 

He quickly picked her up when they reached the door and walked in.  He kicked the door shut behind him and looked around.  The suite was huge, but he didn’t care about anything but the bedroom.

 

“Get undressed”  he said quickly dumping her on the bed.

 

“Give me a minute” Val said grabbing her bag and going into the bathroom.

 

Matheson quickly removed his tie and then he heard a knock on the door.

 

“Damn!  Who could that be?” he mumbled to himself.

 

He opened the door and saw a bucket of champagne sitting at the door and caught a glimpse of his mother as she quickly got on the elevator.  He chuckled to himself as he read the note attached.

 

“I love you both.  Now go and enjoy each other.  Mom”

 

He picked the bucket up and brought it to the bedroom.  Val was still in the bathroom and he finished undressing and lounged naked on the bed.

 

“Do you need some help? “ he asked loudly.

 

“No” she replied.

 

He waited and stroked himself as he was already hard.  He had waited so long for this, but he could be patient a little longer.

 

She walked out of the bathroom wearing a thin, gold shimmery night gown with no underpants.  He stared at her, his mouth dry.

 

“You like?”  she asked climbing on the bed.

 

He lifted the thin gown and noticed that she had shaved off all her hair.

 

“I liked the hair” he complained.  “I told you not to do this.”

 

“I wanted nothing to block that hot tongue of yours” she admitted.  “I wanted to do something different. It’ll grow back.  Try the bald pussy….you may like it.”

 

He stared at her already wet sex and had to admit that it looked very tempting all bare and juicy.

 

He lowered his mouth to her, and she moaned his name.  He sucked on her smooth sex, amazed at the feel of her.  He could eat her forever and never get tired of her taste.  It was just as sweet as the first time he tasted her.  He could tell when she was about to cum, because her taste changed slightly.  He felt her stiffen and she involuntarily raised her hips off of the bed as her orgasm approached.    Her juices gushed out of her, and he greedily lapped them up.

 

“I’m cumming”  she moaned. He then sucked her engorged clit and he heard her scream his name causing his erection to ache all the more.  He loved making her cum, especially when he was eating her because it was the biggest turn on for him.

 

He released her sopping sex and quickly turned her over.  He had to have her now before he exploded.

 

“Get on your knees” he commanded.

 

She quickly obeyed, and he rubbed his stiff erection between her cheeks.

 

“I’ve been waiting for this, Mrs. Hendricks.”  He croaked his voice a guttural whisper.

 

He parted her cheeks, quickly licking her.  “This is mines tonight. “  He declared.

 

Val could feel him poised at her virgin entrance.  She hadn’t expected him to do this right away, and she wondered if she could handle him. 

 

“Relax, baby” he whispered pushing into her slowly. “I’ve wanted this for a while, wife. Oh, god you’re so tight….”

 

“Matheson..” she moaned as she felt her body trying to accommodate him.

 

“Shhhhh” he commanded trying to control the urge to push himself in quicker.

 

He could feel her trying to adjust to his intrusion.  “All of you belongs to me now, baby.  All of this is mine now.  I want everything” he declared.

 

Val had to admit that it was a bit painful, yet she was also excited and aching at the same time. 

 

“There are no more secrets” he hissed.   “No more hidden places.  All of you will know me”

 

He continued to push himself slowly inside her, allowing her body to adjust to his intrusion.

 

“Touch yourself while I fuck this ass” he commanded.

 

Val moaned, but complied with his request.  She found that as she did it, she became more excited and his anal invasion didn’t hurt as much.  She could feel another orgasm approaching as he continued to move inside her, filling her causing the ache to increase.    Her sex was dripping, and Matheson began to pump a little faster, causing her to moan at the sensations he was creating.

 

“You like it, baby?”  he moaned. “You like me in this ass?”

 

“It hurts some at first” she admitted.  “But, god now I feel like I’m going to cum!”

 

“I’ve got to have all of you, Val” he hissed, moving in and out.  “Oh baby all of you”

 

“Me too” Val hissed still fingering her sex.  “I want all of you too.”

 

“Oh god!”  she exclaimed as she felt her orgasm spasm with even her muscles in her anus contracting hard.

 

  Matheson felt her contractions which were much stronger than those from her pussy, milking him hard.  He squeezed her cheeks as his seed filled her rear and then fell on the bed breathing hard.

 

“You alright?”  he asked. “I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

 

“I think I’m going to be walking funny tomorrow” she replied, breathing hard.

 

Matheson chuckled and kissed her, pulling her closer.

 

“Now I want some of your sweet coochie”  he confessed.

 

“Go and shower” she instructed.  “You can’t go in there once you’ve been in the back door you know.  You need to wash up.”

 

“Care to join me?”  he asked getting off of the bed.

 

“No. I need to rest a bit” she admitted.

 

Matheson quickly showered and expected to find her asleep.  Instead he found her sitting up on the bed.

 

“All clean?”  she asked slyly.

 

“Yeah” he replied wondering what she was up to.

 

“Good” she said staring at him. “Now it’s your turn.  Get on the bed and get on your knees!”

 

“What?”  he asked surprised.

 

“Get on your knees and put that ass up in the air” she commanded sternly.

 

He stared at her dumbfounded.

 

“You’ve had your fantasy, now it’s my turn” she said seriously.  “Get on the bed.”

 

Matheson did as she asked, and bent forward with his head in the pillow.

 

“This is not a manly position” he complained from the bed as he had his face in the pillow wondering what she was planning.

 

“I’m your wife.  Don’t you trust me?”  she asked coming behind him.

 

“I trust you” he responded meekly.

 

She looked at him on his knees, bent over with his face in the pillow and felt herself go wet at the sight.  She ran her hand along his back down to his butt cheeks.  She had imagined this scenario and never knew how to broach the subject with him.

 

“I’ve been reading the pleasure book.”  She admitted. “I had thought of this on my own…but then I picked up a few pointers.”

 

She then spread his cheeks and sniffed.  She could smell the soap he had used and she stared at his tight opening. She didn’t know why looking at him like this excited her, but it did. 

 

“Your ass really turns me on” she admitted to him. 

 

“Really?”  he responded.  “You’re not going to spank me are you?”

 

“Don’t give me ideas” she teased.  “Right now I just want to kiss it.”

 

“You’re all mine too” she said running her finger over his hole.  She felt his muscles constrict under her exploration.

 

“You’re not afraid are you?” she asking pausing.

 

“What are you going to do?”  he asked.

 

“Nothing you won’t like”  she whispered laughing.

 

She ran her tongue over the opening, laving it with her tongue.  She enjoyed the feel of his muscles constricting each time she licked the virgin area.

 

“You like me licking this ass?”  she asked seductively.

 

“ I do”  he admitted, moaning as she continued.

 

 She then took his balls into her mouth and began to suck.  She used her finger and rubbed it against his opening while she continued to lick the area.  She then pressed her fingertip into the opening, penetrating him.

 

Matheson moaned louder and began to masturbate.

 

“Oh no you don’t buster” she snapped, slapping his hand away from his penis.

 

“Val please” he begged.

 

“Not yet.  You can’t cum yet” she said returning to her torture. “I don’t want you to touch yourself.  Concentrate on what I’m doing.”

 

She continued to lick and suck him and Matheson thought that he was going to go crazy if he didn’t fuck her soon.  She pushed her finger inside him further and wiggled it.

 

“Val..oh god…I’m gonna cum”  he said grabbing his member again.

 

Val slapped his hand away again.   “No, not yet” she commanded.  She liked being in control and quickly kissed his cheeks.

 

“You need a distraction.  Turn over”

 

He turned over on his back and she climbed up to his face.

 

“Eat this pussy.”  She hissed placing her dripping sex over his face.

 

He gladly obliged her, and she closed her eyes as his tongue lapped her.

 

Val gripped the bedpost as the spasms shook her and she heard Matheson gasp as he tried to gulp all she gave him.  She then slid down his body and kissed his wet mouth.

 

“Pussy good?’ she asked smiling.

 

“Excellent” he replied grinning.

 

“Now I want to get on my knees and you will fuck me like it’s your last time, husband!” she commanded.

 

Matheson roughly turned her over and quickly slammed into her like a mad man.

 

“Is this what you want, wife?”  he growled banging into her hard.

 

“Yes!”  she shrieked.  She could hardly stay on her knees from the force of his thrusts.  Val closed her eyes enjoying him to the utmost.  His grip tightened as he grasped her, his flesh smacking against hers.  She moved in rhythm with him and knew he was about to explode inside her.

 

“Here is that baby my Mama wants so much” he growled as he came hard inside her.  Spent, he fell on the bed beside her breathing hard.

 

“Damn, that was good” he gasped. “You’re a certified freak, you know.”

 

“It takes one, to know one” she replied.

 

He pulled her close kissing her.  “I love you, Mrs. Hendricks”

 

“I love you too, Mr. Hendricks” she replied grinning.

 

((***))

 

Emily walked out of the Hotel with Langston and Mavis.  She looked at her watch and realized that it is almost two in the morning.

 

“You know the two of them are creating our grandbaby as we speak!”  she said grinning at Mavis.

 

Mavis laughed.  “Miss Emily, you’re a mess for sure!”

 

Emily hugged Mavis happily.  “I think I’m going to cry.”

 

“Cry all you want to baby”  Mavis replied patting her on the back.

 

“We’re a family, Mavis.”  She declared looking at Gregory.

 

Gregory put his arm around Mavis. “Yes, dear.  We are a family.  Now let’s get Mavis home.  It’s way past her bedtime.”

 

“Don’t worry about me!”  Mavis declared.  “My brother will take me home, won’t you Langston.”

 

“Of course”  Langston replied grinning.  “Rowena had to get home with the boys and Mavis and I are going to spend the rest of the weekend together at our family estate.

 

Mavis grinned at Langston.

 

“Our parents would have wanted it that way, don’t you think Mavis?”

 

“Of course, Langston” she said patting his arm.

 

He helped her into the car and got in.

 

Emily watched as the two of them pulled off, her heart full.  Everything had turned out beautifully and her boy was married.  Now she could go home and secretly make plans for the baby shower.  She hoped that Matheson and Val wouldn’t wait too long to get started making babies.

 

“Woman, what are you planning now?”  Gregory asked eying her as she got into their car.

 

“I’m thinking about what I’m going to do to you when we get home” she lied grinning at him.

 

“Well let’s get going then” Gregory laughed, pulling off.

 

Emily closed her eyes and laid her head back on the seat, thinking that the day was the happiest day of her life.

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

Well this is the final chapter of this story that I started in August 2010.  Thanks for all the wonderful reviews.  Who knows, maybe there will be a sequel or series in the future.

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=1764