Harmless Moments by pokerdiva01
Summary:

This is a story about a woman and a man who have come to a crossroad in theiir relationship. He is ready to get married and doesn't realize his relationship of three years has been unraveling. She is tired of being a trophy on his arm.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: General
Genre: Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 8494 Read: 27582 Published: 13/08/11 Updated: 14/09/11
Story Notes:

This is an original fanfiction the characters are all mine.

1. Chapter 1 Wide awake by pokerdiva01

2. Chapter 2 Ice Breaker by pokerdiva01

3. Chapter 3 Tomorrow is a new day by pokerdiva01

4. Chapter 4 Change of Plans by pokerdiva01

5. Chapter 5 Girls Night Out by pokerdiva01

6. Chapter 6 V.I.P room by pokerdiva01

7. Chapter 7 Its Complicated by pokerdiva01

8. Chapter 8 Checking In or Out ? by pokerdiva01

Chapter 1 Wide awake by pokerdiva01
Author's Notes:

This is the being of the harmlees moments?  Character names to be introduced in chapter two.

Its midnight and I should be sleeping but sleep is invading me. I want some loving but I m pissed at my boyfriend of two years. My friends told me by the third year this could happen. You start to drift apart. We are fighting more and more each day. I no longer try and look beautiful for you instead I walk around with in sweats and I have my hair pulled back in a messy pony tail. Its pretty cold sitting here looking at the skyline. We have the best view in New York city. Its sucks right now because its raining. I turned to look over my shoulder to see you sleeping soundly.

I shake and shiver as I make my way across the street to the café which is 24 hours. Someone knew what they were doing because the place is packed believe it or not. It is a Friday night or should I say early Saturday morning. I look around there are a lot of drunk people who look like they just left the club. I shake my head remembering those days of being carefree and no boyfriend to worry about disappointing by staying out late with the girls. I shake the thought away heading toward the counter to order. I didn’t notice him but he noticed me he would share this with me later.

Its 1:00 am and I m sitting in the corner of this café watching the drunk people around me laughing feeling no pain but trying to sober up with coffee. I hear the door chimes and look up to see the her. She is beautiful even with the sweats and a baseball cap. I notice her shiver and shake the rain off its still drizzling outside, She definitely isn’t coming from a club which makes me wonder why she would be out at this time of night. I look away before she sees me staring at her but out of the corner of my eye I watch for her .

I place my order and pay. While waiting I notice it starts to down pour. And I didn’t bring my umbrella. I will be soaked before I cross the street and walk home. .I take a moment to look around hoping there may be an empty seat where I could drink my tea and eat my muffin. There was one seat towards the back it was across from a man who looked preoccupied with his newspaper. I turned back to get my order when my number was called and made my way back to the vacant seat. I place my order down and shrugged off my damp jacket. I tried to be as nonchalant as possible not drawing any attention to myself except I forgot I was wearing my Victoria Secret pink suede sweat suit which said Pink across the bottom.

I pull my newspaper down when I hear a whistle coming from one of the drunk patrons. I look up to see and it’s the girl I was admiring earlier. I see her began to blush and try to act unaffected not wanting to draw attention to herself. I notice a guy making his way over to her and he is a big guy. I don’t now this woman but I feel the need to protect her. I put my paper down and put my plan into motion. I stand up and walk the short distance to her table. She is startled at first but I mouth follow my lead. “ Hey love our table is over here I guess you didn’t see me when you came in because I was reading the paper.” I took her jacket off the chair and moved her to my table. The drunk guy stopped in his tracks in his tracks apologizing not realizing we were together and told me I was one lucky dude before heading back over to his friends,

Wow is all I could think in my head as this total stranger saved me. He pulled my seat out for me before returning to his. I notice a few things about my knight in shining armor. He was handsome and very tall I would guess about 6’5 compared to my 5’7 height which is slightly above average for women. He had dirty blonde hair I wasn’t sure of the eye color and he smelled good, If you must know I m a sucker for cologne. He looks like Halle Berry’s baby’s daddy which means he is fine. Ok let me stop looking at this man like a piece of meat and focus on the fact I have a boyfriend and I would not be sitting at this table with a total stranger if weren’t having problems in our relationship.

I made my way back to my seat wondering what my next move would be. If you asked me earlier tonight what I would be doing it definitely would have not included sitting across from this gorgeous woman who looks better up close. She didn’t have on any make up. If I had to guess maybe some lip gloss or did her lips always look so shiny and kissable. She has a gray or green eyes they remind me of a mood ring. Her skin is light like caramel if I had to describe her she reminds me of a younger Vanessa Williams. When it comes to dating race isn’t a issue its about having chemistry and be compatible. I know I m getting ahead of myself because what are the chances she is single most likely not and the last thing I should be thinking about is dating.

End Notes:

Good morning chamber family. I love this website. This is only my second time posting a story. I hope you give it a chance. Feedback is helpful as I try to develop as a writer. Have a great weekend. 

Chapter 2 Ice Breaker by pokerdiva01
Author's Notes:

Landan and Mizani get to know each other.

Chapter 2

Talk about awkward moments I sat there waiting for this total stranger to take his seat across from. me He slid into his seat and flashed me a million dollar smile and then he spoke. “ Hi Landan Jacobs,” he extended a hand towards me. I took it,” my name is Mizani and thanks for the save..” Do you make it a point to save damsel in distress at 1;30 am ?,” I asked raising my cup to take a sip of my tea. He sat back in his seat and laughed the ice was definitely broken. His response was only beautiful ones that are Mets fans. He was referring to her baseball cap. She laughed taking another sip of her tea Landan took a sip of his coffee.

The conversation began to flow. “ If you don’t mind me asking what brings you out in the middle of the night or earlier morning?,” Landan asked. He saw her smile fade. Mizani thought about his question. He wasn’t sure if she would answer seeing how they didn’t know each other but he sensed she wanted to share, He was good at reading people which was important in his profession. Mizani wasn’t sure why but she find herself opening up to Landan. He made her comfortable for some reason.

Landan listen attentively finding Mizani quite fascinating.” I been with my boyfriend almost three years. It seems all we do lately is fight about dumb things.” He is a lawyer trying to make partner which means he is always working.” If we do spending anytime together its usually at a business function. I own my own Interior Design business.” She explained that is how they met when she was doing a job for his firm. Mizani made it a point to mention they didn’t start dating until months after the project was complete. “ I don’t believe in mixing business with pleasure.” She took a moment to sip her tea and take a bite of her muffin. After chewing she said enough about me , “What’s your story?,” she asked.

He took a sip of his coffee before answering with a smart remark,” I was waiting to save you,” Landan told her with a big smirk on his face. “ So somebody has jokes,” Mizani commented back with a smirk of her own. Landan stretched then leaned forward to get comfortable. “ I could not sleep and this place is 24 hours and no one knows me here,” he sat back in his chair studying her. Mizani found his last statement of no one knowing him interesting. She took a moment to study his appearance. He was dressed casual but he looked well groomed and smelled incredible. He had on a Rolex but his shirt sleeve had hidden it. Mizani began to wonder what he did for a living. He interrupted her thoughts. “ I travel a lot for business,” he didn’t share anything else.

Landan like Mizani but he had to be cautious about disclosing to much information about himself. He shared he had not been in a relationship in over a year. He explained his last relationship ended badly and he didn’t want to be involved with anyone anytime soon. Mizani shook her head understanding where he was coming from because she didn’t know how her current relationship was going to turn out. Mizani took a look at the clock on the wall realizing she had been sitting talking to Landan for hour and a half. She wondered if Maddox knew she was missing. Landan notice her looking at the time. “ I can’t believe we been sitting here for an hour and half. “ I have to get going,” she stood up to leave. Landan got up to help with her jacket.

“ Well my mother raised a gentleman and I m going to escort you home. I don’t care how close your apartment”, he told her. Mizani noticed the look he sent her know he wouldn’t take no for an answer. “You promise you aren’t a stalker,” she said jokingly. Landan placed his hand at the small of her back as they left the café. It truly was a short walk around the corner. “ Well thanks for listening Landan and hopefully I’ll see you at the café.”Mizani turned and went inside. Landan turned to walk back to his car. A few more pictures were taken and then the individual drove off,

Landan sat in his car thinking of Mizani they hadn’t exchanged numbers. But he did know where she lived and the name of her business Designs by Mizani. Their paths would cross again he just didn’t know how soon.

End Notes:

Here is chapter two excuse any errors I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 3 Tomorrow is a new day by pokerdiva01
Author's Notes:

We get some Maddox in this chapter and Mizani and Landan think about their meeting

Chapter 3

Mizani entered the apartment quietly hoping Maddox was still sleeping soundly. She put her jacket away and went to the bathroom to get ready for bed. When she entered their bedroom he was sleeping. She went to her side of the bed and pulled the covers back slipping in hoping she didn’t disturb him, She scooted to the edge not waiting to be close to him. Her thoughts were still on the conversation and time she had spent with Landan. It was nice to have someone listen and make her laugh. She missed that about her and Maddox. Mizani yawned and finally gave into the sleep knowing tomorrow was a new day.

Maddox felt the shift in the bed from the weight of Mizani getting into the bed. He pretended to be sleep. He knew she had left the apartment and was gone for awhile. He remained still hoping she might snuggle against him. But she did the exact opposite and moved away from him. He knew there was tension between them. He planned on taking her away for the weekend figuring they could address their issues. Maddox remained awake waiting for Mizani to fall asleep. Once he knew she was a sleep he moved over to her side of the bed to snuggle up against her. He snuggled his head into her neck loving her scent of jasmine. He then whispered into her ear,” I love you.”. He hoped she heard him before drifting back to sleep.

Landan drove checking his rearview mirror at times making sure he wasn’t being followed. His job caused him to be paranoid at times. He finally reached his destination . When he entered he felt the coldness of the room. He looked back to see the elevator doors shut behind him. This was part of the job he hated coming home to an empty place. It was furnished by none it reflected his taste in furniture. But then again this was temporary. He went into the kitchen to grab a water before heading to the bedroom.

Landan sat on the bed.. He removed his watch placing it on the night stand. He then went into the bathroom and decided he would take a shower. He stood under the shower letting the water beat down on him. He remembered feeling defeated earlier until his encounter with Mizani. He felt himself getting aroused as he thought about her. He had gone to the Café to escape for a few hours. But fate had other plans and he spent the rest of the night focused on her problems which gave him a break from his. Landan turned on the cold water. He needed to get his focus back he had a job to do and didn’t need any distractions.

The next morning Maddox woke up earlier to surprise Mizani. He made her breakfast and wanted to let her know about him taking her away for the weekend. He had checked with her assistant to make sure she would be available. Mizani woke up to the smell of coffee and was that bacon she smelled. She looked over at the clock and it was 6:30 am and Maddox was usually gone. “ Good morning love,” Maddox entered carry a tray heading over to her side of the bed. Mizani closed her eyes and opened them again to make sure she wasn’t hallucinating.

He set the tray down to take her hands in his. “ Listen I know things haven’t been great between us for a few months and I think its because I haven’t paid any attention to you and I have been making being partner a focus.” So with that said I m taking you away for the weekend. I want us to talk and focus on us.” he told her place a kiss on her forehead then her lips. Mizani was in shock. The thought in her head was “ What aliens have taken my boyfriend.” She felt guilty because maybe she had been a little to hard on him. She notice him look at the clock. “Baby I have to go but I hope you like the idea of going away,” Maddox left for the office. Mizani ate the breakfast and then got ready for work. Things seemed to be heading in a new directions.

Landan didn’t sleep well because his dreams were consumed by a certain woman he just met. He had done well these past months because no one had caught his attention like Mizani. He kept telling himself it was a chance encounter and she wasn’t even available. He was brought out his thoughts by his phone ringing. He went into the temporary office to take the call. He was on the call for hour and would need to leave in the next hour. The private jet was fueled and waiting his arrival. He grabbed a brief case and other necessary items and left.

The individuals keeping tabs on Landan never saw him leave because he had left out of a secret exit. After sitting outside for several hours they left. The associate following him last night assured his boss Landan was last seen at this location. The individual left to follow up with employer. “ Damn how could you have lost him.?,” his boss asked. I never took my eye off the entrance and no one left out of the back either .Both entrances where being watched. The boss turned looking out of the window. “ Follow the young woman he was with last night. You better not screw that up,” failure wasn’t an option.

End Notes:

I hope you like the update. Things are going to get real interesting. I dd my best to look for edits and errors. I use the microsoft words and it seems to help. Thanks for stick with me.

Chapter 4 Change of Plans by pokerdiva01
Author's Notes:

Hi chamber family. I had to work six days straight and get the kiddies ready for school. Sorry for the delay with an update. I hope you stick with me. Sorry for any edit or errors my microsoft program helps.

Chapter 4


Maddox sat at his desk wondering how he would tell Mizani they wouldn’t be going away for the weekend. He had just returned from a meeting with the senior partners of the firm. They needed Maddox to leave on a business trip later that evening. The firm would be handling a high profile case and Maddox needed to meet with the client. The partners assured him if successful he would make partner. Those were the words Maddox’s had been waiting to hear. He picked up the phone to call Mizani but it went straight to voicemail. He didn’t leave a message because he realized he needed to talk to her in person.

Mizani was reviewing samples for one of her current projects. She was trying to be productive because she would be gone for a few days. Her thoughts were broken by the buzz of a intercom. It was her assistant advising her she had a guest. Maddox gripped the flowers a little tighter than necessary before entering the office. Mizani looked up when she heard the door open. “ What a nice surprise baby and you brought my favorite flowers,” she came from around her desk to greet her boyfriend. Mizani notices Maddox seems distracted, She walks over and grabs his hand and heads to the couch.

Maddox realizes he has been too quiet and speaks. “ Listen I don’t know how to tell you so I m just going to say it. “ The partners made me an offer I can’t refuse.” They need me on this high profile case out in California.” They informed me if I win this case I will make partner.” He starts to smile and then continues. “ We could have the wedding of our dreams and you wouldn’t have to work long hours.,” our dreams will come true. Maddox stared into her eyes looking for a response. When she didn’t respond he continue informing Mizani they would have to postpone their trip and he would be leaving that evening.

Mizani was stunned because she was still on a high from this morning. She thought they had made some progress.“ Wow honey thats great and I m excited for you,” she told him while hugging him. “ You have worked really hard these past few months and its finally going to pay off,” she was smiling hope it looked genuine because inside she was dying. “ Baby you really mean it? He asked because lately Mizani wasn’t happy with the state of their relationship. “ ‘Listen I m your biggest fan and there will be other weekends,” she said while stoking his arms.

Maddox wasn’t expecting this reaction. He felt a sense of relief and suggested they spend the rest of the day together because he would be leaving later that evening. Mizani rescheduled the rest of her appointments. She made a silent promise to herself things were going to change when he returned from his trip.’ I m going to be the supportive girlfriend was the message that she kept repeating in her head.”


Mean while

Landan was making finally preparation for his meeting. He had done this countless times but not on such short notice. He checked his watch one finally time and then left. He normally worked alone but this was a special circumstance and support was needed. He reviewed the information while in-flight. He knew when a reward of six figures was offered information seemed to flow out of people.s mouths like river . Once in position he signaled to his partner to get ready to move because they didn’t have much time and it was a matter of life and death. He heard the count and everything went black.

Landan held his side. He knew his ribs were bruised but it was worth it. He leaned his head back against the leather seat of the plane. They had been successful and even recovered the reward money. Landan looked forward to getting back to the city. He looked out the plane window and it was drizzling which made him wondered what Mizani was doing. He wondered why he cared. He fall a sleep once the plane was airborne.

Mizani found herself sitting in the café after dropping Maddox off at the airport. She called her girls and they made plans to go tomorrow. She sipped her coffee thinking a night out with the girls was long over due. Mizani looked up when she heard the door chimes but it wasn’t anyone she knew. She had stopped in a few times hoping to see him but he was never there. It was almost 11:00 pm and she decided to leave figuring he wasn’t coming. Mizani crossed the street to head back to her apartment. She stop and turned back feeling as though she was being watched but no one was there. “ Just me being paranoid she thought and walked home.

It was 11:30pm and Landan found himself going to the café. He was wide awake because he slept the entire flight back to the city. The café wasn’t too busy and he looked around hoping to see Mizani but she wasn’t there. He got to the counter and ordered. Landan knew where she lived but there was one problem she lived with her boyfriend. It wouldn’t look too good if he showed up on her doorstep. He took his coffee to go.


End Notes:

The story is developing slowly but I want to do it justice. Its only my second attempt but I having fun doing it. I love the comments and feedback it keeps me inspired.

Chapter 5 Girls Night Out by pokerdiva01
Author's Notes:

Hey chamber family love all the reviews. You are about to meet two of Mizani girls from college. Skylar and Kayla they are all best friends.



Mizani shut off the lights and locked the door to her office. She was headed downtown to meet her girls Kayla and Skylar for happy hour. It was a Friday night in New York city and she felt free. It was the ding of the elevator that brought her out of deep thought. “ I m going to party like a rock star.” she thought to herself smiling.

Skylar and Kayla found a seat at the bar and order drinks.” I m so excited that Mizani is coming out with us tonight,” Skylar shared. “ I know we haven’t been out on a Friday night together for sometime,” Kayla remarked. “ Well every since she started dating Maddox she become a home body,” Skylar responded. Kayla shook her head in agreement. The bartender finally made his way over to them. “ Welcome to Rocco’s and what are you lovely ladies drinking this evening.?” he asked. They both laughed. “ Someone is working hard for his tips,” Skylar joked. “ Two apple martini’s ,” Wait make that three,” they heard a familiar voice behind them it was Mizani. They hugged while waiting for their drinks to arrive.

When their drinks arrived Kayla paid the bartender. She gave him a nice tip and a card with her number on it. While walking away she made the call me sign with her hand.” Girl you are still crazy as I remember”, Mizani told her friend. “ Tell me he wasn’t fine,” she responded back. It didn’t take them long to catch up. They order another round of martinis and kept reminiscing about their days in college. “ Now Mizani you need to share what’s been going on with you and Maddox?,” Skylar inquired. She took a moment to gather her thoughts. “ Ok listen tonight is about us reconnecting and I don’t want to dwell on my relationship issues.” Everyone raise your glass and repeat after me.” We are going to party like rock stars,” they all agreed and busted out laughing. The girls ordered one more round of drinks and appetizers before heading to their destination which was a new dance club called Omni.

The club was packed especially because it was Friday night, however. Skylar was a VIP because she is an executive for a top public relations firm in New York. They entered through the private entrance. The music was pumping and you could look down from the VIP lounge and see all the bodies grinding on the dance floor. The lounge offered privacy but it was designed with an glass dance floor that extended out over the crowd. Mizani looked around admiring the designers choices. Who ever designed this place had skills she thought. Kayla snapped her fingers in front of Mizani to bring her back. Let’s go girl their playing our song.” All you single ladies,” Technically I m not single she told her friend.,” but you are tonight and she was dragged on to the dance floor with her friends.

“ I can’t believe I let you talk me into this man,” you going to pay bro. Mike just laughed at his older brother. “Dude you don’t know how to have fun anymore. “ You are always disappearing and then reappearing.” Mom is always calling wanting to know where you are as if I m your babysitter or something.” You need to call her especially with her annual charity ball coming up.” Mike reminded him. “Damn its been a year already?” Landan remarked. He wasn’t in town 24 hours and his mother was already hunting him down. You need to thank me for saving you tonight,” Mike told him. I told mom about the Omni opening and you would be celebrating my success with me.” Landan was proud of Mike because he was a successful architect and had landed this million dollar project. “Besides how much trouble can we get in if we are in the VIP lounge?.” Mike asked. “ Not just anybody can get in,” they enter the club through the private entrance. Landan followed his brother thinking he would keep a open mind and try to enjoy himself. Mizani and her girls were drinking and dancing. She couldn’t remember the last time she had this much fun.

Landan and Mike found their way to the bar to get a drink. Once they were served they found a table and decided to watch the people around them. The music was loud but you still could have a conversation. Landan told his brother he was impressed with the design and he had done a great job. Mike was excited to get the approval from his older brother. He had idolized him while growing up. While they were talking the owner came over them. “ Hey Mike I m glad you could make it,” Dave told him. Mike introduced him to his brother Landan. ” I was wondering if I could introduce you to somebody.” Landan told him to go ahead he would be fine.

Mizani finally felt the drinks taking its toll on her bladder and told her friends she was going to the restroom. Landan wasn’t paying much attention until he felt the bass and the music get louder. Then he heard a group of ladies yell,” Their playing our sang where’s Mizani?” Landan turned his head towards the group of ladies when he heard the name because it wasn’t a common name. Mizani checked her make up and touched up her lip gloss. She was having a ball and hadn’t thought of Maddox until this moment and it was just that a moment. She left to go join her girls.

Mizani heard Pinks Why so serious and raise your glass and made her way back over to the girls. Landan saw her but she didn’t see him. She looked even more beautiful than when he had last seen her. She wearing a sleeveless zebra print top with a pair of black designer jeans with 3”zebra print heel shoes that matched her top. Her hair was down with ringlets cascading around her face. She took his breath away as she danced twirling and shaking her body not knowing it was in his direction. He was fascinated and continued to watch her dance among her friends.

Kayla was the first to notice they had a audience or should she say Mizani did. “ Hey girl she nudged Mizani it looks like you have a fan.” Girl please she didn’t turn around at first figuring her girl was messing around.” No really this guy over in the lounge is watching you,” Skylar said it too. Mizani decided maybe she would turning around. She didn’t want to be obvious and did a dance move and that’s when her eyes landed on Landan Jakobs. He did what the song said raised his glass and then winked at her.

End Notes:

The next chapter will pick up in the club and let the fireworks begin. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Chapter 6 V.I.P room by pokerdiva01
Author's Notes:

Hi chamber family here is another update please enjoy.



Mizani couldn’t believe her eyes and blinked twice hoping her eyes were deceiving her. Landan was here in club Omni watching her dance or was he stalking her. “No he didn’t have a clue she would be here tonight. But there he was In the flesh watching her with the biggest grin on his face. Her mind began to race with thought. “ Does she pretend she doesn’t know him” Or does she introduce him to her friends..” While lost in thought she took in his appearance. He looked like he just stepped out of GQ photo shoot. He was wearing a blue shirt which accented his eyes with designer jeans. Landan put his drink down and decided to go have a little fun with Mizani and her friends. “Mizani turned around and continued to dance with her friends.

Mizani’s back was facing him as he approached and her friends made a path for him to enter the lion’s den. “Evening ladies I couldn’t help but notice you were having a good time over here. “I want to buy you gals a round of drinks By the way my name is Landan,”he told them. Everyone introduced themselves and then went to order drinks. Mizani decided to remain dancing. “Ladies go ahead we’ll join you shortly,” he said. Landan turned his attention to Mizani who seemed to be ignoring him.“ Its a nice surprise seeing you here,” he whispered against her ear. Mizani smiled to herself. He remained behind her placing his hands on her hips and then started dancing. “He’s got game for a white guy Mizani s girlfriends joked as they watched them dance. The D.J decided to slow things down. Mizani turned around to face him.” May I have this dance? “she asked smirking. They began swaying to the music.

Skylar and Kayla stood at the bar watching Mizani with Landan who they thought was a stranger. “ Well I’ll be damn I didn’t think she had it in her” Kayla commented watching her friend enjoy herself. “ I know what you mean.” Do you think she even realizes she smiling in the arms of man that’s not her boyfriend.” Skylar said taking a sip of her drink. Two good looking men approached the two of them standing at the bar.“ Now why aren’t you two lovely ladies out there enjoying yourself ? My friend and I having been watching you all night be the life of the party.” Skylar and Kayla looked at each other and then the fine ass men in front of them. They both took a tie in their hand. “ Right this way gentleman.” the two guys looked at each other smiling all the way to the dance floor.

Mizani enjoyed the warmth of Landan body as they danced. She wasn’t sure way she didn’t feel guilty. Landan inhaled her scent of jasmine enjoying it.. Her hair was soft against his skin. She fit comfortably in his arms especially with her heels on. “ I needed this Mizani thought to herself.’ She tried to reason it out in her head was it because she finally had the full attention of someone or was it the need to feel wanted.” She closed her eyes and decided not to dwell on it and snuggled closer to him. Landan wasn’t sure what to make of the situation. He wasn’t trying to put a label on it. They were friends sharing a dance. ”Right?,” he thought to himself. They continued dancing when another slow song came on.

Mike returned to the table to find his brother was no longer there. Hopefully, Landan hadn’t left they were suppose to be celebrating. He went to the bar to get a fresh drink. When he turned back around he scanned the dance floor for his brother. Mike didn’t expect to see his brother dancing. However, there he was dancing with this beautiful woman. He laughed to himself because he remembered how girls were always crushing on his big brother. Mike took his drink and went to mingle again.

The slow music finally stopped. Landan leaned down and whispered something into Mizani ear that made her laugh. She looked up nodding her head yes and followed. Landan lead the way guiding her by the hand. Skylar and Kayla were dancing with their new friends when they saw Mizani leaving with Landan. Mizani stopped and looked back when she heard her name. She told Landan to wait and went to talk to her friends. “ Listen I’m going to step out for a moment.” she told them. Her friends looked at her wondering how she knew him. Mizani assured them it was ok and to have fun and she had her phone on her. I’m not abandoning you guys,” she then headed back over to Landan who was now talking to his brother Mike. “ Mizani this is my brother Mike,” nice to meet you.” No the pleasure is all mine,” he said kissing her hand. Landan gave his brother a death stare and he backed off.

The Omni had a terrace and Landan wanted to talk to Mizani in private. It late in the evening and a bit chilly outside. He took his jacket off laying it across her shoulders.” Thanks for your jacket aren’t you going to be cold she asked. “ Not if you shield me from the wind,” he told her. They stood looking out at the skyline and he wrapped his arms around her to share body heat.. He was the first to speak. “ How are you doing?” I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you since meeting you a few days ago.” he shared. Mizani thought for a moment about what to share. “ Well I thought things were going to change when my boyfriend made me breakfast in bed and told me he was taking me away this weekend.” However, he had to go out of town on business for a few weeks and I m trying to be the supportive girlfriend.” He wants to make partner really bad and they promised him the promotion if his trip is successful.” He says he doing it for our future.” she shared. Mizani pressed her head back into his shoulder.

“ You don’t sound convinced ,” Landan told her. He stopped back to turn her around to face him. He placed his finger under her chin to look her in the eyes. “ What are you afraid of Mizani,?” She didn’t answer at first because she was finally going to voice her biggest fear. “ I don’t think I’m going to ever be enough and he’ll always have an excuse or reason for working or postponing trips like this weekend.” Mizani hadn’t planned on crying but the tears started flowing down her check. Landan hated when woman cried. He placed both hands on the side of her face. He traced the tears with his thumb. “ I didn’t mean to upset you sweetheart.” He brought her close and kissed her forehead trying to comfort her. Mizani wasn’t a crier and besides she was happy five minutes ago. “ Landan continued caressing her checks with his thumbs. Her skin felt soft like silk against his fingers.

“ Please don’t cry he whispered against her cheek.“ Then Landan found himself kissing the tears where they had fallen. Mizani found her hands moving up to his shoulders. He sensed a calm coming over her. Mizani found herself responding to his gentleness and understanding. She turned her lips in his direction. They could feel the warmth of each others breaths. Their lips were seconds from touching when they heard their names being called. Someone yelled out here. They both quickly stepped away from each other. “ Hey guys what’s going on out here? Skylar asked. Mizani was facing away trying to hide her face which felt flush. “ We came out here to get some fresh air but the wind is starting to make our eyes water because we were to close to the edge.” Landan explained it sounded reasonable to him. “Excuse me guys I m going to go freshen up,” Mizani made her way to the bathroom thankful it was dark on the terrace. “ It is chilly out here lets go in,” everyone agreed. I can use a scotch Landan thought to himself. The group headed back to the bar and everyone ordered drinks. The girls had a apple martini waiting for Mizani. When she returned. “Just what I needed ” she couldn’t believe what happened on the terrace.

Mizani felt ashamed of her behavior. He probably thinks I m a tramp who cheats on her boyfriend,” she thought to herself. Landan left before Mizani came back from the restroom. He felt like a loser for almost taking advantage of her on the terrace when she was vulnerable. Plus it didn’t help he knew she wasn’t available. He told Skylar and Kayla to let Mizani know he would be in touch. Mizani wasn’t sure if she should be relieved or disappoint when she learned Landan had left and would be in touch. Her girls rallied around reminding her she wasn’t single anyways. They dragged her back to the floor to dance. They didn’t end up leaving Omni until 2 am. Maddox tried Mizani cell again. It was 11pm in California which made it 2 am in New York. He wondered where the hell was Mizani ?

End Notes:

Thanks for all the reviews.

Chapter 7 Its Complicated by pokerdiva01
Author's Notes:

Things are going to continue to get complicated. I hope you like the update.  You will be hearing more from Landan's brother Mike.

Chapter 7 Its Complicated


Landan hated the way he left things with Mizani and decided to go see her. She wasn’t home from the club when he arrived. He checked his watch it was 2:30am hopefully she would be home soon. Landan made himself comfortable in his car. It was the slamming of a car door that woke him up. He must have dozed off for a few minutes. Landan sat up and noticed a female getting out of a taxi it was her. Mizani paid the cab driver. He waited wanting to be sure she got in safely.

Landan rushed out of his car hoping to catch her before going inside because it was a secured door. “ Mizani wait,” he called after her. She stopped not seeing anyone at first thinking she was hearing things.” I am definitely drunk she giggled to herself. He knocked on the door to get her attention. “Landan is that you?,” she asked. Mizani realized it was him and opened the door,” Hey I was wondering if I could talk to you?,” I’ll understand if you don’t feel comfortable inviting me in,” he said standing with his hands in his pockets. Mizani told him it was fine. The shutter of the camera couldn’t go fast enough as they watched Landan enter the building.

They walked in silence. “ What the hell am I thinking? She thought to herself. “ It must be pretty important,” Mizani said laughing. “ Maybe this wasn’t a good idea after all,” he told her. “No what are you talking about were friends,” she grabbed his hand dragging him into the elevator. Once inside the apartment she told him to make himself at home. She went into the other room yelling she was going to get comfortable. He walked around the room admiring how it was decorated. He could see her in everything. He was checking out the view when she returned wearing a sweat suit. “ I don’t know about you but drinking makes me hungry,” she almost tripped when heading to the kitchen. Luckily he was able to catch her.” Listen why don’t you take a seat and let me work my magic.” I m tipsy not drunk she informed him. ”Yeah whatever you say.”

He started searching her fridge for something to cook. He pulled out a bunch of ingredients. She pulled out a bottle of wine and poured two glasses. Mizani sat on a stool to watch Landan cook. He decided omelets would be quick and easy. Landan looked like a professional slicing and dicing the vegetables.” Hey where did you learn how to do that?,” she asked sipping her wine. “If I told you I would have to kill you,” he said jokingly taking a sip of wine. Mizani found herself laughing. “ Ok killer,” Why don’t I make myself useful and get us some plates,” she informed him. They decided to eat in the leaving room grabbing their wine and plates.

Mizani found herself relaxed and enjoying his company. They sat eating and talking about different subjects. Their conversation came easily. In fact at one point Mizani poured them more wine. Landan decided to talk about what happened at Omni..” I really like you and I hope you know I never meant to take advantage of you tonight.” He tried to maintain eye contact with her. Mizani put her plate down.” First of all you weren’t the only adult on that terrace tonight,” she began.“ If I do recall I was dumping my relationship problems on you again. “ Though we haven’t know each other long you were there to listen.” I get you were trying to comfort me and we had a moment.” I would be lying if I didn’t acknowledge the attraction between us.” I couldn’t even look at myself in the mirror after I left you out there,“ she confessed. Landan wasn’t sure when his plate had joined Mizani’s on the coffee table or when she was sitting on his lap. This wasn’t going as planned he thought. He found himself lost in the soulful eyes again. His hands remained at his side not daring to touch her.

“ I have a boyfriend and shouldn’t be feeling this way,” she touched his forehead to his. He didn’t move a muscle afraid the bulge in his pants would grow. She caressed his face with her fingers studying his facial features. He had strong cheek bones. His eyes were blue gray or maybe it depended on what color he wore. She ran her fingers through his hair which lead to her fingers massaging the back of his neck. Landan closed his eyes getting lost in her touch. He found his hands involuntary caressing her back. This was wrong but felt so right. When he opened his eyes they were looking directly into each other. She placed her finger to his mouth not wanting him to speak. Mizani removed herself from his lap. Then taking him by the hand led him to the door. “ Thanks for tonight and an apology wasn’t necessary,” If anything I owe you one,” she told him. He kissed her cheek and left. When the door was shut they both leaned against it thinking this was getting complicated.





End Notes:

I want to say thank you to everyone who reads my story and thank you for the reviews because feedback is good and it triggers ideas. Everyone have a great weekend.

 

Chapter 8 Checking In or Out ? by pokerdiva01
Author's Notes:

Hey I finally got another chapter written. Please enjoy and I hope people are still interested in Landan and Mizani story.





Mizani woke up with a hangover. It was the phone ringing not her ears. “ Hello?,” she asked while holding her head. “ Mizani why haven’t you answered your phone?.” the bass of Maddox’s voiced caused her head to hurt more. “Babe tone it done,” was her response. Maddox stared at the phone puzzled. “ Look I was out with my girls last night and we didn’t get in until early this morning.” I have a hangover and I don’t want to argue.” she informed him early on in the conversation. There was silence on the other end of the phone which gave her a moment to try and compose her thoughts. Maddox took a deep breath before speaking knowing he better choose his words wisely. “ Look babe I was concerned and hated how we left things.” He gave her a moment to respond but she remained listening. “ I know a lot of our problems are my fault and I want to work on those issues and with me being away that’s going to be hard,” he said.


Mizani laid in bed trying to concentrate on the conversation but the pounding of head was making it impossible. “ Listen Maddox I appreciate you acknowledging that you are responsible for a lot of problems but this isn’t a conversation I want to have over the phone.” In fact I’m not being fair laying here and only half listening.” Why don’t I call you back after I am showered and have taken something for this headache,” Mizani informed him before preparing to hang up. Maddox was silent then agreed and hang up first. He stared at the phone wondering what just happened. Mizani placed the phone back in the cradle and pulled the cover her head wishing the pounding would just stop.


Landan was laying in bed wondering how Mizani was feeling this morning. When he left her place he knew she would have quite the hangover. He played the nights events over in his head. He could still feel the weight of her body against his when she straddled his lap and placed his forehead against his and the softness of her skin when he caressed her back. He wanted her in the worst way but he followed her lead. Landan was glad he didn’t take advantage of the situation. He looked at the clock and noticed it was 10 am and decided he had slept long enough. He figured he would have a quick work out and pay his mother a visit which was long over due.

Mizani showered and took aspirins before venturing into the kitchen to see the mess from the previous night. When she entered she was surprised it wasn’t dirty. The only dishes she had to worry about were their plates and wine glasses. Her thoughts were disturbed by the ringing of her door bell. Mizani wondered who it could be because she wasn’t expecting company. It a delivery guy with a floral arrangement. She signed for it and then begin to wonder who they were from. They were gorgeous and smelled delightful. Place them on the counter and reached for the card.

Mizani,
I hope you like my choices in flowers. I wasn’t sure what you liked. I picked a variety of flowers hoping one of them might be your favorite. I had a good time last night.

Landan

Mizani placed the card by the flowers and began to straighten up her apartment. Her thoughts going to Landan and their budding friendship. It was an hour later when she got a text from Kayla and Skylar asking her to join them for dinner. Mizani agreed to meet them later because she didn’t have any plans besides calling Maddox.

Landan pulled into his parents sprawling estate and notice several cars where parked in the driveway. He decided to drive around to the back of the mansion. Landon enter through a side entrance. Landan made his way to the kitchen where he heard his mom’s voice. His mother back was too him and he decided to cover her eyes. “ Guess who?,” he asked. Helen Jakobs knew who it was immediately. “ Landan darling,” she turned to hug and kiss him. “ Well isn’t this a wonderful surprise.” I’m so glad to see you are still among the living,” she pinched his cheek as she said it. Landan rubbed his cheek. “ Yeah he still among the living,” his brother Mike chimed in. “ Ask him about the hot chick he was with last night?,” he loved getting a rise out of his brother when their mother was around.

Landan grabbed a dinner roll off a tray and throw it at his brother.” You two stop that. We have company in the next room,” she informed them. It turns out his mother was having a meeting for her annual charity ball. “ Well do I know this young lady who is monopolizing my son’s time?” she asked. “ No, and don’t you have some guests to attend too.” Landan told her trying to change the subject..” Well don’t think this is the end of our conversation. I should be done in hour and you better still be here.” Helen left to continue her meeting. Once she was out of the kitchen Landan started in on his brother. “ Thanks a lot Mike,” Hey I try was his response. “ Is she going to be your date for the ball?,” was his brother next question.

Landan stopped to think how he would answer. “ First of all its complicated and we are just friends.” She has a boyfriend,” he explained. “ I wish we could have met under different circumstance. “ Well you looked pretty cozy to me last night,” Mike told him. “ I know what it may have looked like but we talked and we having an understanding.” Well that’s to bad because she is super hot,” his brother slapped him on the shoulder before getting ready to leave. “ Hey I won’t give you hard time and I’ll tell mom I was mistaken.” Mike then left. Landan looked at his watch and decided he would go for a swim and headed to the pool house to change knowing he had some time to kill before talking to his mom.

Mizani knew she should call Maddox but she didn’t want to be emotionally drained when she met up with the girls for dinner. She continued to clean her apartment. Landan swam a few laps in the pool and then showered. He went to find his mother she was still in her meeting. He decided he would call Mizani to check on her. Landan called directory assistance and her number was listed.

The phone rang before answering it she checked the caller I.D but the number came up private. Thinking it could be Maddox she answered it. “ Hello, who’s calling,” she asked. “ Mizani hi its Landan I just wanted to see how you were doing,” he told her. Mizani found herself getting giddy. “ Well, considering how much I drank last night I’m feeling ok.” she shared. “ But do you want to know what really made me feel better?.” she asked. Sure was his response. “ It was that beautiful arrangement of flowers you sent me.” Landan got a sick feeling in his stomach after hearing those words. “ Don’t get all shy on me now,” she told him.
“ Listen Mizani as much as I would like to take credit for the flowers I didn’t send you any flowers.” he confided to her. “ Well according to the card their from you.” He could hear the annoyance in her voice. “ Mizani I’m on my way over and don’t open your door until I get there,” then the phone line went dead.

End Notes:

I m excited to have the time to start writing now that the kids are back in school. Sorry for any errors. Comments and feedback are welcomed. Thanks for sticking with me and reading.

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=1770