Love Takes Time by chocolate470
Summary:

Banner

Evangeline is a woman uncertain of her future plans and her fledgling relationship with RJ is not going as expected. On the other hand Todd wants to break free from his destructive relationship with Blair. “Destined to be together” These two own this phrase but there are always obstacles to overcome before this becomes a reality.  

 


Categories: Daytime Television, One Life to Live Characters: Evangeline Williamson
Classification: Cannon, Off Cannon
Genre: Drama, Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: Tangeline (One Life to Live)
Warnings: Adult Situations, Extreme Language, Strong Sexual Content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: Yes Word count: 60419 Read: 13490 Published: 15/06/09 Updated: 07/10/09

1. Chapter 1 by chocolate470

2. Chapter 2 by chocolate470

3. Chapter 3 by chocolate470

4. Chapter 4 by chocolate470

5. Chapter 5 by chocolate470

6. Chapter 6 by chocolate470

7. Chapter 7 by chocolate470

8. Chapter 8 by chocolate470

9. Chapter 9 by chocolate470

10. Chapter 10 by chocolate470

11. Chapter 11 by chocolate470

12. Chapter 12 by chocolate470

13. Chapter 13 by chocolate470

14. Chapter 14 by chocolate470

15. Chapter 15 by chocolate470

16. Chapter 16 by chocolate470

17. Chapter 17 by chocolate470

Chapter 1 by chocolate470

MAIN CHARACTERS 

 

Evangeline

 

EVANGELINE

 

 

Todd 

 

TODD

 

 

RJ 

 

RJ 

 

 

Compared to all she endured at the hands of one Mr. Todd Manning the cab ride home was quite uneventful which suited her just fine. She ran delicate fingers through her smooth tresses easing back into the leather seating. The cab driver maintained his focus on the road ahead while she turned her head sideways catching glimpses of the outside world.

 

Llanview city streets appeared quiet on a Thursday evening. The illuminated high rises streamed past her cab window and few pedestrians traversed the sidewalks. Everyone appeared restrained probably anticipating the weekend when they could finally let loose before that dreaded Monday morning came around again. 

 

It had been six months since she left her childhood home in Atlanta. Her mother warned her about the pitfalls of branching out on her own and at first she was fearful of accepting Nora’s invitation to join her in Llanview. You see Evangeline had come to a crossroads in her life. Attending law school seemed to be the right choice after all hadn’t she dreamed of becoming a lawyer in the same way her father once was. Now she wasn’t sure about her career path or where her future plans might lead her.  

 

What was that exquisite aroma? It was lulling her senses. Hmmm…she couldn’t wait to get home, shower, light her scented candles and crawl into bed. The events of this evening were being pushed aside. Although helpful she hoped not to come across that Manning character ever again. Cute but way too conceited for her sensibilities. She smirked at their brief encounter but recalled those blue eyes gazing at her intently…She immediately cleared away that thought. Concentrating on RJ’s Las Vegas weekend getaway was much better – hanging out by the pool at the Marriott, sipping champagne and who could forget about the nightlife and after. Her body became nervous with anticipation.

 

***

 

Soon the cab braked in front of her apartment building. She requested the cab fare.

 

“There’s no charge. The ride has already been paid for.”

 

“Humph…must be that Manning guy,” she speculated, twisting her mouth. She thought hard about paying the fare regardless but then thought better of it. If Manning wanted to spread his money around so be it.

 

The taxi man gave her a warm smile, opening the door. “Have a good evening.”

 

Edging her way across the seat the jacket partially slipped from her shoulders. When she adjusted its position it dawned on her that she had failed to return Todd’s jacket.

 

“Shit!”

 

“Is there something wrong?” he asked concerned, offering his hand which she accepted.

 

“No…Oh…no…How much…how much is the fare again?” she asked confused.

 

“Ms. I told you that it has already been taken care of.” He shook his head.

 

“Sorry…”

 

“I understand – one of those nights,” he chuckled.

 

“Yeah one of those nights,” she whispered to herself.

 

***

 

The jacket hung loosely from her shoulders as she made her way through the doors of the Omni Apartment Complex. There was that suspicion that Todd would use it as an excuse to get in contact with her. What could she do? Her pulse rate accelerated and she chewed on her bottom lip, pushing the elevator door button. Tomorrow she could have it delivered. Damn! They met at a club and he was such a nice bastard – she resigned to the fact that she didn’t know that much about him. Although they knew each other asking RJ would be inconceivable. Her only other option was Nora. Yeah Nora could help. She lived in Llanview long enough to know most of the jokers who hang around town. She took in a deep breath and exhaled. For now she had found a workable solution that she was happy with.

 

She turned the key in her lock, opened the door and flicked on the lights. Her cozy, one bedroom apartment was revealed. Living room furnishings represented her simple elegance with its mixture of earthy colors for the sofa, chairs and coffee table while the artwork displayed on her walls reflected her modern style. Her small kitchen was situated just a few feet away. The only disappointment was the absence of a terrace where she could relax and enjoy the evening. All in all it was a pleasant, affordable apartment and RJ wasn’t paying the rent. Even though he offered she usually declined.

 

The jacket she placed carefully on her chaise. She caught herself staring at it, stroking it lightly, that fragrant smell again. The jacket you fool her mind screamed. His scent was all over her. Evangeline…She kicked off her shoes stripped away her clothing, tied her hair into a ponytail then disappeared into the bathroom.

 

***

Meanwhile… 

 

The elevator doors retreated. A short walk through the entranceway to his penthouse door but someone was waiting to greet him. He expected to find her standing by the center table. The security downstairs informed him about his uninvited guest.

 

“Blair,” he said dryly.

 

She was dressed in a black trousers, black sweater, hair straggly from her periodically running her fingers through it. She appeared to be very upset but he certainly didn’t care.

 

“Where is she?” she asked bluntly.

 

Todd strolled past her then looked at his Cartier. “Did I miss curfew?” he smiled.

 

“No you’re missing a date,” she shot back. Todd’s face wrinkled in disgust. CSI Blair would be a thorn in his side. “She probably freaked when you told her about yourself.”

 

“Just the part when I explained the type of woman I have for an ex-wife. I told her you only get crazy when there’s a full moon but since isn’t one out tonight…,” Todd shrugged, taking out his keys.

 

Blair simmered. “You should have told her that you bring out the beast in me.” Todd was unresponsive – finding his front door key was more of a priority. “Why did you have your locks changed?”

 

Earlier she tried her key to his penthouse and was caught off guard when the door didn’t open. That small change gave her an ominous feeling. Todd was making small changes in his life without her input.

 

“Simply put Blair I’m tired of you interfering in my life!” he announced.

 

“Yet you allowed me to get pass security…”

 

“Shouldn’t you be at home with our daughter?”

 

“Starr is fine. She’s at her Aunt Dorian’s.”

 

“Another nut job,” he muttered, unlocking the door.

 

“What did you say?”

 

“I said Go Home Blair.”

 

“I’m going to find out who she is.”

 

He blocked her from stepping inside. “I’m warning you if you pull this shit again…I swear you won’t be able to sniff the fucking side of the building,” he growled

 

“The mother of your daughter deserves to know the type of women her daddy is messing with.”

 

He grabbed her arm. “My life is my life. Don’t fuck around in my business! Get out of here!” He pushed her away.

 

“We are two halves of a whole Todd. Two peas in a pod… I’m the only…” He slammed the door in her face and made his way through the semi-darkness.  

 

TODD! TODD!  She pounded on the door.

 

Blair was a fucking nuisance. Her unannounced visits to the penthouse needed to be halted immediately.  His cell phone came to life. Sensing who it was he threw it violently across the floor. The battery popped out but otherwise it remained intact. 

 

He ran up the stairs making a beeline for his bedroom. Once inside he perched on the edge of his bed trying to forget this last run-in with Blair. These frustrating encounters frequently ended in a passion-filled evening but he was about to turn over a new leaf in his life which meant doing away with some bad habits.

 

Ordinarily he removed his shoes first then his jacket but… where was his jacket.

 

“Where is it? Where is it?” he reiterated, scratching his head. “Ah.” Now he remembered. “Evangeline Williamson.”

 

His mind swelled with possibilities as a wry smile spread across his lips. He continued undressing. Before proceeding to the shower he switched on his entertainment system. Bon Jovi’s Bed Of Roses started to play.

 

Sitting here wasted and wounded at this old piano
Trying hard to capture the moment this morning I don't know
'Cause a bottle of vodka is still lodged in my head
And some blond gave me nightmares, think that she's still in my bed
As I dream about movies
They won't make of me when I'm dead

 

He increased the volume… stared in the mirror. Clearly he wanted another man’s woman….he wanted RJ’s Evangeline. What would be the dangers involved in pursuing her?

 

***

 

Evangeline stooped down retrieving her discarded clothing and depositing them into her laundry basket and the shoes she stashed away in her closet. However where could she place Todd’s jacket. It being so visible was nerve-racking. She debated taking it into her room but envisioned him with a wicked smile on his face, adding a smug comment like, My jacket can go into your room why cant I. Why did it matter? Forget about Todd! It was time to light her candles and get some rest.

 

She heard an unexpected knock at her door – either security wasn’t doing their job or it was RJ coming over to spend the evening. RJ!

 

“Come on babe. Open up.”

 

“What are you doing here?” she asked a little nervous.

 

“What do you mean what am I doing here. My woman lives here.”

 

“Didn’t know you were coming over? You never called.”

 

“I promised to call you didn’t I. Sorry about that baby. I’ve really messed up this evening but I’ve brought a little something to make it up to you. Your man is getting lonely out here. Open Up!”

 

“Just a minute!”

 

She was running around with the jacket in her hand. It seemed juvenile but who wanted to be questioned about another man’s jacket. The same man who rudely interrupted their evening together. In vain she searched for a discreet hiding spot but then reluctantly decided to hide it in her closet.

 

“Hey what took you so long?” he asked stroking her arms then kissing her.

 

“Maybe that was your punishment for breaking your promises,” she explained in a breathy voice. He gave her a box filled with gold-wrapped chocolates. “Ohh…rochets...my favorite chocolates...”

 

“RJ scores some major points,” he laughed. She set the box on the end table. He sniffed the air. “I smell something…different.”

 

She quickly improvised. “Maybe it’s my new body lotion. I hope you like it.”

 

“Hmmm…it could be.” Her untied bathrobe exposed enough of her toned body to ignite his arousal.  “Girl you smell good enough to eat.” His arms encircled her waist, drew her closer and kissed the side her neck.

 

Evangeline moaned saying, “Let’s get it started.”

 

He lifted her into his arms and carried her off to the bedroom.

 

***

 

Water cascaded over his chiseled frame. He leaned forward both hands placed against the shower’s walls. Bed of Roses played on in the background.

Well this hotel bar's hangover whiskey's gone dry
The barkeeper's wig's crooked
And she's giving me the eye
Well I might have said yeah
But I laughed so hard I think I died
Ooh yeah 

The image popped out of nowhere – Evangeline standing before him naked. His eyes had never come across saw such beautiful woman. She tossed her hair from side to side then gazed at him – her left hand gentle squeezed those lovely breasts pinching her erect nipples while her right hand traveled downwards. Her eyes closed while her mouth uttered inaudible sounds, caressing her secret cove.

 

He longed to hold her in his arms but she was only a creation from deep inside his subconscious and yet he couldn’t resist the imagery. He moved his right hand up and down his growing arousal, whispering her name. He threw his head back. The droplets of water came down forcefully stinging his forehead, heightening his intense experience. A loud groan pushed passed his lips and his breathing came out in short spurts.

 

The minutes ticked slowly by. He stroked himself faster and faster searching for that sweet release. Finally he exploded, sliding down to the ground, catching his breath.

 

The sounds of the water and his own breathing brought him back to reality. Another song was playing – Bruce Springsteen’s I’m On Fire.

At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet
And a freight train running through the
Middle of my head
Only you can cool my desire
I’m on fire  

He seemed powerless against the surge of emotions he was experiencing. One meeting and Evangeline was having a major affect on his conscious. Part of him hated losing this amount of control and another part wanted to know the woman he was falling for. Falling for? This couldn’t possibly be happening this quickly. He turned off the shower, grabbing a towel. After he got some rest his thoughts would return to normal.

 

***

 

By the time morning arrived RJ had already showered. She stayed under the covers, resting on her side, watching him dress beside the bed. Urgent business was the reason for his leaving. Just add it on to the number of excuses she had been receiving for the last month and a half. It was her fault for accepting them without much explanation.

 

From the first time they met there was that physically attraction but so far nothing else. The sex was great but a significant relationship wasn’t in the offing she surmised. It upset her greatly. One area of her life where she couldn’t succeed was her personal relationships. They burned hot with passion but flamed out in the end.

 

“Just remember to have your things packed because this afternoon we’re jetting off to Las Vegas!” Evangeline only smiled. “You’ll have me all to yourself.”

 

“All to myself,” she sighed.

 

“Do you want me to send you some breakfast?” He asked, sliding his hand along her thigh.

 

“Actually I’m having breakfast with Nora.”

 

RJ shook his head and got up to leave. He refused to talk about Nora because he knew that it would result in an argument.

 

“See you later.” He kissed her goodbye.

Instantly her mind drifted to the jacket in the closet. After RJ had fallen asleep she barely slept. She sensed another man in the room, watching her. A very creepy feeling that brought goose bumps up and down her arms. The sooner she got rid of the jacket the better for her physique. 

Chapter 2 by chocolate470

The atmosphere in his office could be described as serene in Todd terms. There he sat around his desk, an index finger on his cheek and his left hand crisscrossing his laptop’s keyboard. His work did serve a purpose and so did his little detour to Sunset Club last night. Since his date wasn’t going particularly well he attempted to get in contact with one of his sources and thought that maybe he would be hanging out at the club but nada – a total waste of time but…Evangeline made it time well spent.

 

Sweet, gorgeous Evangeline but last night was an anomaly. Call it the Blair Effect or Blair withdrawal syndrome - BWS. From the first moment Caroline stepped into the restaurant he was horny. A beautiful woman like Evangeline only exasperated his condition further. Yeah that’s what it was - BWS. Where the hell was Jessica with his breakfast? Speak of the devil. With Gina’s assistance a blonde head popped through the door.

 

“Here’s breakfast.”

 

“Yeah…thanks…”

 

Jessica carefully set down a steaming cup of black coffee and a glazed donut on top of his desk. He was more interested in the coffee but his eyes remained focused on the screen – intermittently his fingers hit the keyboard.

 

“What are you working on?”

 

“Don’t worry about it.”

 

“Uncle Todd!”

 

“Jessica, trust me I can’t get you involved.”

 

His tone was serious but she didn’t back down. “But aren’t you working on a story. I’ll see it eventually,” she whined.

 

Todd frowned. “Look it has to be this way.”

 

“Sounds troublesome...”

 

“Better for the both of us if you don’t comment about it any further.”

 

The statement astounded her but she didn’t press the issue instead headed towards the sofa slowly chewing on her last piece donut.

 

Disappointed he never let her into the loop about stories that he was working on. So what if she never went to journalism school… neither did he. He brought the newspaper to prove a point to Vicki and now she was being placed in the same predicament. To top it off his date with Caroline went horribly.

 

“So your date last night wasn’t what you expected. Why do I have to bare the brunt of your resentment?” Her huge eyes peaked across at him.

 

“Because you made the suggestion...” Todd raised the cup to his mouth. “Damnit! Why didn’t you tell me it was fucking hot?!” His lips turned bright red and his scalded tongue felt like sandpaper.

 

“I forgot,” she responded nonchalant. “It slipped my mind...really.”

 

He suspected that she did it intentionally. “Yeah I believe you. Why don’t you go and do your assignment.”

 

“The Secret lives of Llanview’s societal women...oh joy.” Her brow furrowed. “I’m better than this!”

 

“It’s a good story. These women have loads to tell you about each other.”

 

He stifled a laugh – his last bit of punishment. She branded herself a serious journalist and wanted no part of writing gossip news items.

 

“You win Uncle Todd,” she conceded, “No longer will I interfere in your personal issues.”

 

“I always win.” His gaze returned to the words spread across his screen. A few more loose ends to tie up and this story is going nail your ass against the wall. He smiled happily.

                                                  

***

 

She hesitated by the café doors, bag on her shoulder and the jacket resting neatly on top of her arm. Spying Nora with a fork in her mouth she considered going back to her apartment. Nora has always been her level-headed best friend – never shy in giving her opinion as she saw fit. She once told her that her father’s untimely death caused her decent into bad relationships – she called it lowering her drawbridge for beasts to enter.

 

“Morning No-…”

 

“What do have on your arm?”

 

Evangeline sat in the seat next to her laying the jacket on an unoccupied chair. “Sometimes you’re too straightforward”

 

“Isn’t that what best friends do – cut pass the bullshit.”

 

“May I take your order?” A bright, young waitress named Molly asked – pen and paper in hand.

 

“An omelette and a cup of coffee please…”

  

“Tell me already.”

 

“Last night I was at the club with RJ.”

 

“Do I need to hear that romantic tale,” she sighed. “Get to the good stuff.”

 

“An asshole named Todd Manning interrupted our date but was kind enough to lend a lady his jacket and hail a cab for me.”

 

Nora choked at the mention of Todd’s name, her face red.

 

“Are you alright?” Instantly she handed her a glass of water which Nora guzzled down. Cough – cough… “You know him?”

 

“Me and the whole Llanview Police Department” …cough… “You’re always attracting these snakes that want to slitter their way into your life.”

 

“RJ is not a snake unlike this Manning guy. So can you help me? I don’t want him to come looking for me because of this jacket.”

 

“Yeah I can help by throwing it in the garbage or down the cesspool.” Her color was returning to normal.

 

“If you’re not going to help then I’ll find him myself. The least you could do is clue me in on where he works?”

 

“Evangeline, I’m not going to tell you where he works.” Evangeline slumped her shoulders, eyes pleaded. “Alright I’ll give him back his lousy jacket. Let me warn you that Todd is a sleazy bastard that will do anything to get what he wants.”

 

“His behavior last night made that fact perfectly clear. I’ll do my utmost to stay away from him.”

 

“Now that’s settle let’s talk about getting you away from that other bozo RJ. I’m losing my best law researcher because of a stupid weekend getaway.”

 

“Please don’t start… eat your breakfast...”As Nora bit into her toast Molly returned with her order. She took up her knife and fork and started eating. “It’s just…one day...hmmm.” She dabbed the sides of her mouth with her napkin.

 

It was more than her one day off from work that bothered Nora. She had to disclose her growing suspicions. “I believe that RJ is involved in some criminal activities. Before long you could be in the middle of some serious shit.”

 

“If that were true the Commissioner’s office especially your boyfriend Detective Bo Buchanan would have had him under investigation. Am I correct?”

 

“How do you know that he isn’t under investigation?” she parried.

 

“You would have said something a long time ago.”

 

Nora sighed, leaning back in her chair. A person like Evangeline always needed the facts – dates, places, meetings; not conjecture – your man is a criminal get away from him.

 

“It doesn’t mean that it’s not true Evangeline. If you’re not going to listen to me right now I want you to be careful. Heed the warning bells. Being new in this town, guys tend to take advantage of an attractive woman.”

 

Evangeline smiled at her friend’s compliment. “That’s why it’s so great to have great friends like you. But so far RJ hasn’t given me a glaring reason to be suspicious,” she replied, sipping her coffee.

 

“Does Lisa know about this new boyfriend of yours? How serious are you two?”

 

“No I haven’t besides we’re casually dating. What my mother doesn’t know won’t bring her to town.”

 

“Indeed.” Nora understood Lisa could be overprotective her daughters. “So RJ casually knows your bed I suppose…”

 

“Intimately,” she bragged, laughing.

 

***

 

“Your sister Vicki is here to see you Mr. Manning.” Gina announced on the phone speaker.

 

“What the hell does she want this early?” Jessica looked disinterested in the question. She lingered hoping Todd would change his mind about her new assignment but he gave no inclination that he would.

 

“Send her in.”

 

“Good Morning Todd.”

 

“Yeah morning…”

 

“Be careful mom – Uncle Todd is not having the best morning.”

 

“I heard you had a date last night. How did it go?” She sat down.

 

Like she didn’t know…The tag team of Blair and Jessica probably filled her in on all the forgettable details. “Let’s say if I need a drinking partner I know who to call. But it wasn’t all that bad.” Not with a certain Ms. Evangeline Williamson floating through his mind.

 

“Oh tell us more,” Jessica remarked.

 

“Why don’t you go and start doing what I told you to do.”

 

“Mom! He wants me to go digging into societal women’s secret lives.”

 

Vicki raised her shoulders. “You work for him sweetheart. There’s nothing I can do.”

 

“Ugh!” She sprang to her feet, exiting the room.

 

“Don’t want to hear it Vicki.”

 

“Have I said anything?”

 

Todd sighed heavily and swept a hand over his face. It seemed no matter how hard he tried a certain woman kept creeping into his mind.

 

“Do you know a woman named Evangeline Williamson?”

 

“I know of her,” she said, “She works for Nora Hanen.”

 

One of Llanview’s upcoming prosecutors – shit! That was intriguing. What could she possibly be doing hanging out with scum like RJ while working for Nora? Possibly carrying out an investigation? Nah he was getting way ahead of himself.

 

“Have you met her?” he asked.

 

“Once and she’s a very lovely, charming, intelligent young woman. Why are you suddenly interested?”

 

“No reason.” His chin creased. After a bit of silence he switched off his laptop, looking at his sister. “What does Blair want to tell me?”

 

“She wanted me to talk to you.”

 

“Fuck!” Blair knew how to get Vicki to see things her way – utilizing their daughter wasn’t beyond her.

 

“Don’t be so disrespectful.”

 

“Vicki she’s playing you for a sucker,” he explained, leaning forward. “She’s told you of Starr’s birthday wish.”

 

“She wants her mommy and daddy to be together. It’s so sweet.”

 

Blair had Vicki in lala land he surmised. “Starr doesn’t understand all her daddy has to endure at the hands of her mother.”

 

“You must still have some emotions….some feeling,” she declared, waving her arm. “They couldn’t have gone away that quickly.”

 

“Of course I feel something – like killing somebody when she’s around me. As far as us getting back together – nada, zilch, when hell freezes over.”

 

“You ought to know.”

 

“So I’m the devil and she’s Mother Theresa.”

 

“Alright I’ll leave it alone. By the way this weekend I’m having a family get together.”

 

It figures. “No can do Vicki,” he said rising from his chair. I’m going on a business trip this weekend. Give Blair my apologies…not.”

 

“I didn’t mention Blair’s name.”

 

“Anyone can see what you’re trying to do. I’ve got somewhere that I want to be. I’ll escort you out.”

 

***

 

“Are you satisfied? It arrived safely at my office.”

 

“I can see that now.”

 

“Evangeline you didn’t need to follow me. Why are you so concerned about this stupid jacket?”

 

“It’s not the jacket’s fault that it has a terrible owner. Besides I don’t want that owner tracking me down because of it.”

 

***

15 minutes later…

 

“Mr. Manning?”

 

Somehow Todd managed to bypass their security measures.

 

“Grace, tell Nora that I want to see her.”

 

“That’s not possible.”

 

“The hell it isn’t!”

 

“Mr. Manning! Mr. Manning! I’m calling security! ” But Todd marched down the short corridor.

 

***

“Have a safe trip.” 

 

“See you on Monday.”

 

She took a step outside when she stumbled into the fast approaching Todd. Both were a bit stunned. His piercing blues eyes traveled along her length. Her brown eyes swept over him in the same regard. Evangeline appeared fabulous clad in her red halter top and jeans, sleek hair clasped at the back, face devoid of makeup – it wasn’t necessary. Todd was equally handsome in his crisp white shirt and dark slacks, sandy blonde hair trimmed neatly.

 

Invisible sparks was emanating between the two and she became very uncomfortable.

 

“Todd…” She massaged the back of her neck. What in the world was Todd doing at Nora’s office unless he was following her as she feared.

 

“Evangeline..,” he cleared his throat. “I see that you are…well.”

There was a confident air about her that impressed him a great deal. Earlier he put himself under the pretext that last night was an anomaly but seeing her now it certainly wasn’t the case. She simply took his breath away. Down Boy… 

His searching eyes transfixed upon her caused her to ask, “Why are you staring at me?” It was hard to explain. She felt like he was staring deep into her soul.

  

“Evangeline, why are you still here? Who are you talking to?” When she saw who it was she yelled, “You!” then she disappeared into her office again.

  

“Come on Manning. Time to leave...” The guard came up from behind and grabbed his left arm.

 

“Let go of my arm Leo!” he responded angrily.

 

Nora reappeared again and said, “You have some nerve showing up at my office.” She tossed the jacket at him. “There’s your property. Satisfied!”

 

“Evangeline thank you for taking such good care of it,” he remarked slyly.

 

Unsure if she should respond Evangeline stood frozen to the floor clutching the strap of her bag.

 

“Evangeline, wait for me in my office. This rat needs to crawl back into the hole he came from.”

 

She looked at him one last time before going back to Nora’s office. 

 

“You first,” he snarled.

 

“Get him out of here Leo! I should have you fired for allowing this maniac to get inside.”

 

“I’m sorry Ms. Hanen. It won’t happen again.”

 

“He should be fired for being such a stupid idiot. The prosecutor’s office ought to be protected by more qualified security officers.”

 

“Shut Up Todd! For the last time Leo Get Him Out Of Here!”

 

“Come on.”

 

“I know the fucking way!”

 

While he walked away he sniffed his jacket, inhaling a hint of lavender.

 

***

 

She found a seated Evangeline looking down at her fingernails.

 

“Todd is very interested in you.”

 

“Please,” she said dismissive. She patted down gently on the side of her head..

 

“He’s handsome, rich, whatever but he’s also dangerous. He also has a crazy ex-wife, a daughter…”

 

“Why are you telling all this about Todd? I consider him to be a pain in the ass.”

 

“I thought you would have been more upset to see him than you were.”

 

Immediately she stood up. “Look Nora I was just surprised that he showed up here...that’s all. RJ is my boyfriend and I stay true to my commitments. I’ve got to get back to the apartment and pack. Call you when I get to Vegas,” she ended as she exited the room.

 

“Humph.” Was she lying to herself? She only caught a glimpse of what was happening between the two of them. “Oh Evangeline...”

 

***

 

You have got to be kidding – Todd scrutinizing her black Nissan 300zx.

 

“Would you please stop following me?”

 

“Do you see me following you?” He asked with a smile.

 

“And stop being such a wise ass,” she sighed.

 

“Nice wheels.”

 

“A gift from my boyfriend,” she said proudly. “You on the other hand probably give women a lot of headaches. Since you’re divorce don’t you have a girlfriend that you can run off and play it? And if you do have a girlfriend does the poor woman know what you do in your spare time?”

 

“Chase after gorgeous women.”

 

Evangeline rolled her eyes. “Excuse me I’ve got things to do…”

 

“It may come as a shock to you but currently I don’t have a girlfriend but I am looking.”

 

“Believe me – it’s not shocking,” she replied in a curt tone, retrieving her keys.

She went to open her car door. Naturally he prevented her from doing so by grasping her hand and naturally she gasped. The nerve and yet his aggressive style seemed to excite a part of her…Oh Boy… 

“Who knows maybe I’ve found her already.” He caressed her hand which she abruptly pulled away.

 

“Are you deaf?” she asked annoyed. “I have a BOYFRIEND!” Finally she was able to open her door.

 

“Tell me why you are with RJ? He’s a pretty dangerous guy.”

 

“Funny I heard the same thing about you.” She slid into her driver’s seat.

 

He prevented her from closing the door and whispered, “Stop pretending we both know what you truly desire.”

 

“Not you between the sheets asshole!” She slammed her door shut.

 

“Fantasy Evangeline would certainly disagree with that statement,” he muttered to himself.

 

She turned on the engine and drove out of the parking lot. An amused Todd almost got ran over by her speedy exit.

 

“I like her…a lot.”

 

He turned on his phone which displayed probably a hundred missing calls from you know who. Immediately he dialed a set of numbers.

 

“Hey I’m coming out this weekend. Better be prepared. I’m not sending you fucking snitch money for nothing.”

 

He ended the call and stood thinking. Too bad he had to go out of town on business.

 

“Business is business but pleasure will soon come…”

 

Evangeline took patience and to a certain point he was prepared to go that route. She possessed all the qualities that he wanted in his woman. Even if she didn’t consciously acknowledge it there was an invitation in her eyes. He donned his shades and strolled confidently to his BMW.

 

***

 

Being what she considered a safe distance away she turned on the radio exhaling. There wasn’t much she could do about Todd’s persistence and the more she overreacted the more it seemed to spur him on. The nature of a man who is accustomed to getting what he wants she supposed. What if RJ found out about this? Would Todd even care? No, she sighed. This weekend away would do her some good but she feared the after. An image of Nora’s annoyed features came into her mind. Suddenly her cell phone came to life…RJ.

 

“Hey baby. I’m going back to the apartment to pack.”

Pack only lingerie. 

Evangeline laughed seductively. “That means we won’t be seeing the sights.”

 

 

Your lovely naked body is the only sightseeing I need for a couple of days.   

Chapter 3 by chocolate470

Unexpectedly RJ changed hotel reservations from the Marriott Hotel to Mandalay Bay. She marveled at his ability to switch on such short notice but he explained that he was on good terms with one of the business partners. After a limo ride from the airport they took the elevator to their room located on the 23rd floor. Some of the room amenities included a mini-bar, cable/satellite tv and a whirlpool bathtub with separate shower. It also provided great views of the mountains and the pool area. On Friday evening they enjoyed a relaxing soak in the marble tub sipping on complimentary champagne. Perfect room, perfect setting, RJ generous with his time – romance maybe, passion definitely.

 

However the bright lights of the Vegas Strip weren’t enough to erase the vision of that smug bastard Todd bothering her that Friday morning. More than a few times RJ queried about her being somewhat distant to which she either replied that there was nothing wrong or that the flight made her a little tired. His huge rod thrusting in and out of her cove made it all go away for that evening but morning light brought memories of Todd again. Irksome because it actually felt like another person was looking over her shoulder and it prevented her from enjoying her time with RJ.

 

“Damnit!”

 

“Evangeline is it that time of the month?”

 

An insensitive question from a guy trying to be funny…she didn’t bother to respond. Soon he held her tightly against his chest, head on her shoulder, apologetic...

 

“Continue to get dress…” She was clad in a black camisole.

 

“Where are you going? I thought we were going out – sort of our last hooray before getting on our flight tomorrow.” Most of their weekend getaway had been spent in the room.

 

“The night is still young. I need to check on something important.” The manner in which he spoke made her believe that he planned a special evening for the both of them. She smiled and stroked his arms. “Take your time.” He kissed her neck then left.

 

***

 

Her knee-length, twist-neck silk black dress stretched across the top of the bed. Far from extravagant but she loved the feel of the material draped over her body. She flipped open her phone and called Nora.

 

“Hi Nora.”

“You sound bored. Where’s lover boy? Not living up to your expectations?” 

“I didn’t call to hear insults about RJ,” she said somewhat peeved.

 

“Alright I’m backing off. Thank goodness you called because I’m having trouble locating the Lacey file.”

 

Isn’t that like Nora working late on the weekends…

 

“Bo must be ecstatic.”

“Believe me he understands. He’s a detective for crying out loud. About that file?” 

“It’s on your desk probably buried under a pile of paperwork.”

 

The Lacey case had a sensational plot line…Mr. Peter Lacey, successful business man, society wife Katherine, two boys Jake and Thomas. Yet one day he wakes up and butchers his family to death while they were asleep. His lawyers were putting forward an insanity defense but Nora countered with one of the seven deadly sins… greed – a 1 million dollar insurance policy that had been increased to 5 million a year ago. This case had the possibilities of assuring Nora’s assent into the ADA’s seat.

“Hold on.” She heard Nora shuffling papers around. You know once you become a lawyer it’s good to have a cop for a boyfriend. Best to share ideas between each other instead of defending them in a court of law.” 

“Is that so?” Evangeline laughed.

 

Sometimes Nora wondered if she would ever get through to Evangeline about these boyfriends.

 

***

 

“You wanted to see me?”

 

“I’ve wanted to see you for a long time RJ. Have a seat.”

 

A private poker game was broken up by his entrance. Turk tapped his cigar against the crystal ashtray. This black jackass was running wild in that bourgeoisie town called Llanview but down here he was seen as a small goldfish in a fast moving stream. Palmer would assuredly to give him props for taking care of business.

 

Turk gave him a discerning eye as he took a seat. RJ instructed the attendant to pour him a glass of cognac. He knew the purpose of the meeting. The fat bastard wouldn’t be given the satisfaction or hint of fear from his side – for a small time hood that did Palmer’s bidding and also craved a bigger slice of the pie…never.

 

He placed the glass to his lips and drank the cognac down slowly. This aggravated the hell out of Turk but he chose to puff hard on his cigar. In the old days RJ would have been punched for such disrespect to his superior.

 

“Word is that you’ve been skimming part of the profits from our business arrangement.”

 

“Who told you this bullshit?” he asked calmly.

 

“True or not true,” he growled.

 

“You guys wanted to run part of your operation through a nondescript location.”

 

“Of which you’ve benefited handsomely. Maybe seeing all that loot makes you want more of the action.”

 

Turk blew a cloud of smoke in his direction. RJ remained still unaffected by this small insult.

 

“Maybe you’re the one that’s causing Palmer a lot of grief.”

 

Instantly Turk leaned across the table and grabbed him around the neck. His two associates standing behind him remained unmoved.

 

“Kill me…kill…your…cash…cow.”

 

The fucker was right. Being in the business long enough gave RJ many privileges besides the fact that he made them a lot of money. Palmer would be very upset if they had to start all over again. Reluctantly he let him go. RJ massaged his neck.

 

“Get out of my sight!”

 

“As you wish…” RJ straightened his tie and drank the remainder of his drink…again slowly. This wasn’t his first confrontation with Turk and he figured it wouldn’t be his last. “You can never replace the irreplaceable,” he bragged.

 

***

 

Why did shitty meetings have to occur in seedy bars? –hard luck patrons matching the down trodden environment. Vinny’s bar wasn’t all that unappealing he had been in much worst but there were two complaints – flat beer and his source was thirty minutes late. In the interim there was a small commotion in the bar. The bartender barely flinched until his glasses and furniture were being broken. Todd sat in his dark corner and gave Mickey another five minutes to show his handsome face. A strange fixation for strip clubs and loose women – Mickey was going to show.

 

A stranger walked into the bar with a baseball cap hung low over his brow – Mickey incognito.

 

“What the fuck took you so long?”

 

“Thinking...”

 

“One thing you should be thinking about is giving me those damn pics.”

 

“Mr. Manning the pics are worth more than ten grand.”

 

“Mickey you ought to be fucking grateful that I’m paying you this much.”

 

“It could be more.”

 

“We have an agreed upon price and there’s no fucking way that I’m giving you another dime.”

 

“Sorry Mr. Manning but...”

 

“You are the one that’s going to be fucking sorry making me come all the way down here for nothing. Which would be easier?” he whispered. “Having someone come and break your arms or telling your associates that you’ve been spilling your guts to the newspaper guy from Llanview.” Mickey swallowed hard. Todd smiled. They’re always surprised to find out about what Mr. Manning is capable of doing. “I see that we have a deal.”

 

***

 

“Wondered when you’d call.”

 

“A slight delay but you look amazing.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

The lights downstairs brought out the jewel that floated into his arms. A sexy black dress that hugged her curves, hair in an up do and just enough makeup to accent her flawless face. He felt the jealous stares on the both of them. They kissed then held hands.

 

“Give me a hint as to where you’re taking me?”

 

“Out on the town then to a special place...”

 

“I can’t wait,” she said excited, squeezing his hand.

 

“Then let’s go.”

 

***

 

Outside people continued to stream in and out of the hotel’s promenade. The bright lights of the strip added an intense excitement to the atmosphere. Yeah this was Vegas baby and who could be depressed surrounded by such glitter and glamour.

 

The valet handed him the keys to his rental and as he escorted Evangeline to the passenger side two men dressed in black accosted them. Their faces partially concealed by worn Yankee baseball caps.

 

“RJ...” She clung to him a little frightened. He patted her hand seemingly ignorant of the danger.

 

“What is this about?” he asked in a relaxed tone.

 

“We came to deliver a message.”

 

“If its money you want…,” she interjected.

 

“Shut the Fuck Up Lady. This is none of your business!”

 

“Hold on…”

 

But he was unable to complete his sentence. He sank down to one knee, clutching the right side of his abdomen, shirt beginning to stain rapidly with blood. The two men ran off.

 

“Baby?”

                                                                                                              

“Ca-ca-call 911…”

 

He tumbled to the ground breathing erratic – blood seeping from the knife wound to his stomach. Evangeline let out a bloodcurdling scream that caught the attention of the passersby.

 

“HELP ME! CALL AN AMBULANCE! HELP ME!”

 

She stooped down next to him completely helpless – crying. “Hold on. Somebody please help us!”

 

A Good Samaritan came to her side – then another – then another. RJ moved his head from side to side while she tearfully spoke encouraging words to him, holding his hand.

 

“Where is the damn ambulance?” Their final evening was turning into the darkest. Minutes seemed like hours.

Help is on the way. Someone told her placing a comforting hand on her shoulders. Keep talking to him. 

“Baby you hear that…help is on the way. Baby…” She heard the ambulance and police sirens going off in the short distance.

 

“Evangeline…humph…where did they go?”

 

“I don’t know. Don’t worry about that right now. Oh...” Blood began trickling from the side of his mouth.

 

***

 

The police were the first to arrive and began cording off the area. Her whole body was shaking when a female officer approached.

 

“Ma’am I know this is very difficult…”

 

“Officer I can’t speak to you right now,” she replied distraught. “I just can’t. Where are the paramedics? ”

 

“They’re on their way. Could you please tell us what type of injury he sustained? It would greatly assist the paramedics.”

 

She racked her brain. “I believe it may be a stab wound. I didn’t hear a gunshot. Honestly I don’t know,” she said tearfully.

Meanwhile… 

Todd really wanted a decent drink and shower after being down in what felt like the boondocks. Driving up he was surprised to come across the flashing lights of the police and ambulance vehicles along with spectators assembled in front of his hotel. Vegas Baby... The newspaper man inside of him itched to take a peak on what was happening. Eventually he did go up to the scene.

 

He strolled around and obtained snippets of information – random incident, black man hurt really bad, did you see his lady…pretty hot….poor thing…they really need to do something about security in this area.

 

***

 

She continuously stared at the EMTs feverishly working on RJ. A couple of times he yelled out in pain when they probed the area of the wound. Soon after they inserted an IV into his arm and placed an oxygen mask over his face before transferring him to a spine board then on to the stretcher.

 

“I must go along with him.”

 

“No ma’am. You can’t come along,” he replied pushing the stretcher inside the ambulance.

 

The EMT tone sounded grave. “At least tell me where you’re taking him,” she entreated.

 

“University Medical Center,” he responded then closed the ambulance doors.

 

“Ma’am we’ll need a statement from you.”

 

“Well I can’t give you one tonight maybe tomorrow morning.” She and the female officer exchanged contact information.

 

***

 

A surreal moment standing there alone – the police, the unfamiliar faces, the media vans coming into the area…the media she had to get away and find transportation to the emergency hospital immediately.

 

***

 

He glimpsed a woman rush past him. It couldn’t be?

 

“Evangeline!”                 

 

She spun around. There was blood on her hands, hair disheveled, face marked with sadness. Evangeline is the woman – RJ the injured man.  “I don’t have fucking time for this!” Like the belief that he was intruding on her date with RJ.

 

There was no time to argue with him. She had been identified and two reporters were coming.

 

“Where’s your car?” she asked frantic. He pointed where it was. “Take me to University Medical Center now!” The least he could do. They both sprinted to his vehicle.

 

***

 

He handed her a moist towelette. Why? She gazed downwards. She hadn’t notice that RJ’s was blood on her hands. Carefully she wiped it away.

 

“Evangeline believe me… I wasn’t following you. I’m here on business.”

 

“Right now I have a more important person to worry about than what you’re doing in Vegas.”

 

“Can I ask what happened?”

 

“No!” she replied emphatically. Conversation ended for the time being his eyes shifted to the road.

 

***

 

He placed a call and they were able to access the hospital through the back entrance.

 

“Thanks for the ride but you can go back. There’s no love lost between you and RJ. He’s not your concern.”

 

“But you’re my concern.” He grabbed her shoulder. “Regardless of what you may think about me I can help you. I know a couple of people that can give you some answers.”

 

Once again he offered assistance that she needed. “Alright…,” she breathed.

 

***

 

An eerie silence lay between them as they stood on the opposite ends of the private waiting area – different thoughts, different emotions. Through Todd’s connections she was able to learn that RJ was undergoing a surgical procedure to stop the bleeding – the stab wound had punctured one of his organs.

 

She found it difficult to wait around for the impending news. She recalled standing around with her mother, sister, and uncle anxious to hear some good news but it never came. Vance Williamson died at 1:05 a.m.

 

“Take me back to the hotel.”

 

“Ok.” He would take her to the moon if she asked him to. He sensed a connection with Evangeline. He wouldn’t go so far as calling it love but it was getting there.

 

Even though Todd turned out to be her knight in shining armor this harrowing night she couldn’t complain. It felt right that he was there for her…strange.

 

                                                                     ***

 

So they were both had rooms at THEhotel tower but he was staying in the more upscale H suite.

 

“Do you want me to escort you to your room door?”

 

“I don’t think I can go to my room…” It would bring back reminders of RJ’s ordeal.

 

“Then come to mine.” She looked at him puzzled. “I’m sure you don’t want to be alone right now. Given the circumstances I promise to behave,” he said sincere. She consented.

 

***

 

She barely paid attention to Todd’s sensational living area which was enormous for one person but everything else was spectacular. With her head leaned against the wall she gazed at him intently. Soon after they entered through his door he dialed a number. Her body felt numb. She wanted to feel something…anything except this sense of despondency.

 

“RJ is still in surgery. If you like I can take you back to the hospital.”

 

“But we just got here.” She almost believed that Todd was nervous especially in her state. “I’ll see him in the morning. The doctors are doing their jobs. I just need to wait and pray that everything is ok.”

 

“Do you need anything? A drink…” He was being so helpful and looked very handsome.

 

“No – but I do want something from you.”

 

“Name it – I’ll give you anything.”

 

“Are you sure?” She sashayed towards him.

 

“You still haven’t told…”

 

He took in a sharp breath as she glided her right hand from his upper to his lower torso. Her touch elicited a moan from his lips.

 

“Evangeline no…” Did he just say those words? He understood – RJ’s plight made her vulnerable.

 

“Come on Todd. This is so unlike the man that wanted me to be his lady.”

 

She unbuttoned his trousers pulling down the zipper. Again he sucked in a breath reluctantly stopping her from going any further.

 

“You need to take a hot shower and lie down,” he insisted.

 

She whispered, “I know what I need right now. I need you.”  

 

She slipped her hand through the opening and stroked him through his boxers. What man could resist. His shaft grew rigid. Warmth pooled around her center.

“E-Evangeli…” He was unable to speak. He wanted her so much but it didn’t feel right. Resist her – his brain screamed. This person wasn’t the Evangeline that you’ve come to know. 

“Let’s see if you’re vanilla chocolate swirl or just plain vanilla,” she said seductively. She pulled out his erect shaft. Her eyes widened at the sheer size and width of his impressive member – its tip glisten with pre-cum. She smiled. “You do have a condom.”

 

“Hmmm…in-in my wallet.” So weak.

 

“I can wait,” she remarked slyly taking off her thong. “But don’t take too long.” She threw the thong at his face and he smelled the sweet scent of her vaginal fluid. 

 

Quickly he retrieved his wallet and removed the condom from a side opening. “Your turn…”

 

She smiled ripping it open and gently sliding it down the length of his aching shaft. Another deep moan with his eyes closed. She pulled him along until her back was against the wall.

 

“No kissing, no touching, just…”

 

“Fucking…”

 

But Todd was never a person to follow instructions because soon his mouth was pressed hard against hers. Initially she struggled but then gave in – opening her mouth…their tongues sucking hard. He lifted her up and her legs wrapped around his waist.

 

“You’re so wet,” he whispered on her lips, kissing her again, thrusting slowly into her sex. Evangeline moved her hips faster because she wanted it over. Todd’s body responded to this aggressive style and drove into her harder and deeper.

 

“Yes…Ahhh…”

 

Her body felt alive. The scent of their sex wafting in the air – the sound of their bodies repeatedly slammed into each other... for just this moment to take away the anguish. “SHIT!” she screamed. His body stiffened feeling her walls constrict around his hard-on. He climaxed. Her legs fell downwards and she pushed him away. He knew this moment would come.

 

“I’m going back to my apartment.”

 

“But I thought you said that you weren’t comfortable going there.”

 

“Well I’m comfortable now.” It was hard speaking to him with his shaft dangling in the open. “Please put that thing back inside.”

 

“It needs a shower first,” he joked.

 

“Whatever,” she said retrieving her thong.

 

“Evangeline wait...”

 

“Todd we both got what we wanted. Leave it at that.”

 

“I can’t leave it alone not after what just happened.”

 

 “RJ is in the hospital.”

 

“If you thought about him that much then we wouldn’t have had sex.”

 

“Thanks for reminded me that I’m a bad girlfriend. Leave me the HELL ALONE!” She opened the door and slammed it behind her.

 

***

 

Strolling down the hallway she started to cry. “Todd is right RJ is in the hospital and here I am having sex with another man. What the hell is wrong with me?”

  

He didn’t want to go after her because he knew that she was crying. Todd you’re getting soft. Evangeline is turning you into a marshmallow.

 

“Evangeline is turning me into a man in love.” He will be imagining this brief encounter for quite a while. “I can’t leave you alone Evangeline. I’ll do whatever it takes to have you in my life.”  

Chapter 4 by chocolate470
There weren’t anymore tears left to be shed. She showered, draped herself in a bathrobe then stood in front of the mirror. Puffy, red eyes greeted her then she went on to brush her teeth. Her mind wandered back and forth between RJ fighting for his life at the hospital and Todd fucking some of the hurt away. The two didn’t mesh especially allowing Todd into her personal zone.  

 

Naughty Evangeline…who was the greatest? Two men on the same date…One black – one white…day…night. Todd’s rod…surprisingly huge for a white guy…Had she physically seen one before his? 

 

“UGH! I should be concentrating on RJ and what he is going through not Todd’s…thing!” She berated herself spitting out the last bit of mouthwash. “Maybe I should call the hospital and find out what’s going on.”

 

But immediately she presumed that type of information wouldn’t be given over the phone. What if he died during surgery? Would she rather be in the hotel room or at the hospital? In the hotel room, she concluded. She wanted no part of fretting in the waiting room only to receive bad news. A sleepless of night lied ahead of her fraught with much anxiety.

 

One good thing – Todd didn’t knock on her door to talk about it. Frankly there was nothing to talk about. Although foolish to believe that Todd would just let it go – doesn’t fit his character.

Evangeline this is the worst decision you have ever made in your life. Now you must deal with the consequences. 

***

 

Lying comfortably in his bed hands, cradling the back of his neck, Todd imagined happy thoughts.  Evangeline in his arms, tasting her sweet lips, thrusting between her legs. Junior twitched. He hated that she anguished over that scum. Random incident my ass… RJ ticked off the wrong associate risking Evangeline’s life. She could have been the one fighting for her life then RJ would wish he never crossed Todd Manning’s path. Todd blew out a breath. Tomorrow he had an afternoon flight back to Llanview that he couldn’t miss.

 

***

 

After three hours of continuous sleep Evangeline woke up, prepared and mustered up the strength to go up to University Medical Center.

 

Doctors, nurses and visitors alike walked past her and she experienced a nervous tension as she approached the front desk.

 

“G-Good Morning my name is Evangeline Williamson. My boyfriend RJ Gannon had surgery last night for a stab wound. What is his condition?” She cleared her throat fingers clinging to her bag straps.

 

The nurse turned her eyes to the board then searched among her papers. “Ms. Williamson I see that Mr. Gannon shows steady improvement and is upstairs in the Recovery Unit.”

 

“What room?”

 

“Room 6B…second door on your left hand side,” she ended with a bright smile.

 

Definitely new – working long hours in an emergency setting doesn’t produce 100 watt smiles.

 

“Thanks.”

 

***

 

“Alright Evangeline time to see the boyfriend you betrayed…hiyah…”

 

She took a deep breath and counted to ten. It didn’t seem to quiet her fast beating heart but she opened the door anyway.

 

The room was bright with the sun ray’s peeking through the light blue curtains. Considering his ordeal RJ indeed appeared to be in excellent condition – an IV in his left arm, lower abdomen bandaged and his neatly braided dreads spread against his pillow…very handsome. There was a faint smell of hospital cleaner fluid that invaded her nostrils. She truly loathed being inside a hospital.

 

“Evangeline, you don’t look very happy to see me…understandable because of last night.”

 

“Yeah last night was something,” she replied wary.

 

“I don’t remember all that happened but I think I lost sight of you.”

 

“Since my father died in one I’ve dreaded having to go to any hospital. Forgive me.” That’s not all you should be asking forgiveness for.

 

“That’s alright you’re here now and as you can see I’m definitely alive.” He arched his eyebrows. “Come give your man a taste of your brown sugar.” She stepped cautiously to his side and gave him a peck on the lips. “Wow I really do need to get out of here fast.”

 

“What are the doctors saying?” She changed the focus, caressing his forearm.

 

“Observation for the next two days,” he sighed, “but fuck that I want to get out of here tonight.”

 

“If possible…RJ hours ago you were in surgery. They need to be careful and so do you.”

 

“Have you talked to the police as yet?”

 

“No,” her eyes lowered, “I’m thinking about going down to the station this morning before they call.”

 

“Well they spoke to me earlier this morning. Evangeline do me a favor and tell them that it was a robbery attempt.”

 

His request caught her by surprise. “RJ I don’t know if it was or wasn’t a robbery especially when that guy said something about sending you a message. Do you have any idea what that’s about?”

 

“No clue,” he brushed the question aside. “Vegas has an above average crime rate and the cops are needed elsewhere.”

 

“Baby you were almost killed of course the police are going to pay this special attention,” she protested.

 

“Baby,” he placed her hand to his lips, “I need to get out of Vegas. What is there to tell? Their faces were obscure so we didn’t get a good look of who those bastards were. Chalk it up to a bad Vegas experience. We’ll choose a more quiet and romantic spot for our next getaway.”

 

RJ certainly was cavalier about almost getting murdered. She also perceived that RJ was asking her to lie to the cops or at least leave out key details. On the other hand Vegas held some bad memories – his stabbing, her cheating on her boyfriend while he was close to death. That tipped the scales in his favor. She nodded in agreement.

 

RJ’s features suddenly brighten when a pretty young nurse entered the room with a small medicine tray. Her caramel skin glowed in her plain white nurse’s uniform. He let her hand go and Evangeline gazed at the bubbly vixen with disgust…not that she had the right to be jealous.

 

“Time for your meds Mr. Gannon…”

 

“Didn’t I tell you to call me Randall.” He flashed his pearly whites.

 

“Alright Mr. Randall – I see you have a visitor.”

 

“Nurse Olivia, meet Evangeline Williamson...” These two were being awfully congenial.

 

“His girlfriend,” she remarked quickly.

 

Evangeline’s proclamation drew no grudging stare. “Nice to meet you…” There’s another 100 watt smile.

 

“Evangeline has to go and take care of some pressing business…don’t you Evangeline.”

 

There was no recollection of her telling him that she was leaving – men always wanted to make an impression on these young prizes. It wasn’t the first time he openly flirted in her presence.

 

“Yes I do but I’m glad to see that my man is doing well. The hospital’s staff is taking such excellent care of him.”

 

“We are here to give our patients the best care possible.” She and RJ smiled at one another.

 

Score one for the nursing profession and Nurse Olivia Smiley Face – impossible for her to complain now.

 

“I need to get going. See you later babe,” she said, kissing his cheek.

 

“I’ll call you.”

 

“Sure.”

 

She paused at the door long enough to witness more flirtatious behavior between her supposed beau and the pretty young nurse. She wondered if they really were in a committed relationship.

 

***

 

He only ventured into the restaurant to grab a bite to eat prior to catching his flight. Evangeline never left his thoughts and again he wondered how she was coping. He considered last night a very special moment. She relied on him to help her make it through a difficult night. Behind her sensual play laid a deep sadness…a sadness that he never wanted to see in her eyes again.

 

And how did he rate the sex? On the scale of 1-10 he scored it a reasonable 7. Loved her aggressive style but he never got an opportunity to utilize his foreplay techniques – junior enjoyed the ride… short as it was. A sly smile etched across his face imagining ways of building upon this experience with Evangeline.

 

“Your burger and fries sir...” along with a coke…

 

More like overpriced fast food although it looked hefty enough for a man’s appetite. He peeled open the packets of mayonnaise and ketchup then spread them over his fare before taking a juicy bite…delicious.

 

A few minutes into his culinary experience a party of four moved away from the seat in front of him. He glimpsed Evangeline sitting inconspicuously at the far end picking at the sides of her half-eaten sandwich; a half-glass of ice tea stood alongside her plate. Her dark tresses hung loosely at the side of her face. She appeared troubled.

 

***

 

An uneasy interview at the police station... When asked about it being a robbery she stated that she believed that it was and for some unknown reason the muggers became spooked and in their bid to get away they injured RJ. She and RJ are visiting from Llanview and had never been robbed so it was a frightful encounter. No she couldn’t identify the assailants because of the baseball caps neither could she recall all that was said except that it was a robbery. RJ’s bleeding on the ground and the whole incident caused her a lot of mental confusion. That was that. With no true eyewitnesses the case would be harder to solve. The police were still checking the security cameras and will contact them if any new leads surface.

 

Her heart not her head ached. She so wanted to get out of Vegas and return to some sense of normalcy probably paying her mother a visit in Atlanta. Lisa requested a visit many times before but she usually offered excuses. Calling Nora was the furthest thing from her mind. I told you he was a waste of time.

 

As far as going back to the hospital – Nurse Olivia should continue caring for her exceptional patient. She guessed when he wanted to leave he would give her a call.

 

She felt someone standing behind her…the familiar scent – Todd’s cologne (Polo).

 

“How are you doing?” A quiet hand touched her shoulder.

 

“Good until you showed up.” She wriggled free from his grasp.

 

“Let’s not fight,” he mocked, settling into the chair beside her. “I’ve brought you a peace offering. I said something last night that was very thoughtless.” He placed a red gift bag on top of her table.

 

“RJ wouldn’t appreciate me receiving gifts from another man especially you.”

 

He wouldn’t appreciate you fucking him either. Todd, hold your tongue. “What RJ doesn’t know he won’t know…unless you tell him,” he countered.

 

“A round about way of reminding me of my great sin...”

 

“Last night wasn’t a sin. You were hurt and you reached out to me.”

 

“Ok Dr. Freud. Our afternoon session is over now we can both go our separate ways forever.”

 

No for the time being... “Accept the gift first then I’ll leave,” he persisted.

 

“And if I won’t.” She tucked her hair behind her ear glaring at him.

 

“Why aren’t you with RJ giving him some TLC? For you to be sitting here must mean that the jerk has made it.” He rested his chin in the palm of his left hand. “Evangeline agonizing over what we did while RJ is in the hospital giving…”

 

“Don’t you dare say it?” she warned.

 

“Or you’ll slap me.”

 

“No…this…”

 

Evangeline poured ice tea all over him then moved away from the table. The cold brown liquid drenched his head and poured down unto his new blue shirt. A collective gasp came from the restaurant’s patrons.

  

“Are you alright sir,” a concerned waitress rushed to his aid handing him a paper towel.

 

“Everything is peachy,” he replied dabbing his head, face ands arms. “A small disagreement between lovers – that’s the way it goes sometimes.”

 

The waitress shrugged her shoulders. He retrieved his wallet and paid for both their lunches leaving a generous tip. He grabbed the gift bag and trailed after her. He found her waiting impatiently by the elevator doors. When she saw him she turned away in disgust.

 

“Evangeline you’ve ruined a pretty nice shirt.”

 

“Send it to the drycleaners. You’re wealthy enough to pay such a pittance.”

 

“Oh so you’re checking me out. Never knew you cared.”

 

“That oversized room upstairs matches your oversized ego. You must be a very insecure man.”

 

“Ouch…” Todd mockingly clutched his heart. “Why would you say such things about someone who’s trying to be your friend?”

 

“Friend my ass,” she muttered. “More like a stalker.” The elevator doors weren’t opening. “Shit! Just get the hell away from me,” she said as she hastily walked away. Again he followed. She stopped. “Can’t you take a hint – I don’t need your friendship anymore. I don’t want you anywhere around me.”

 

“When I came up to your table it wasn’t about getting into any confrontation. After last night I was very concerned about you. I left you alone but it seems that you are still dealing with shit.” His blue hues scanned her face for a reaction. “Is it so wrong for me to ask how you’re doing?” He played up the kinder and gentler Todd.

 

The way he looked at her made her heart quiver – so many emotions behind those penetrating blues she shifted her eyes away. “I guess not,” she replied softly. “I must admit that you have helped me through this sad experience…given that I don’t know anyone in Vegas.”

 

“And our confrontational relationship...” He extended the gift bag hoping she would accept it this time. She did and smiled when she saw what was inside – a cd, gold and red circular tin probably chocolates and a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. It bordered on a romantic gesture but what else could she have expected from Mr. Manning.

 

He so wanted to cancel his flight but he did make a promise to his little girl.  “Keep smiling. You look very beautiful when you smile,” he said in a low tone. His voice made a shiver pass over her. She felt her cheeks grow intensely warm and the way he stared at her… Was she starting to have interest in Todd…no!

 

“Sorry about…”

 

“Drenching me with ice tea...another cold shower,” he assisted with a smile.

 

“Yes but you asked for it,” she laughed. “Sometimes it seems like you and RJ have the same irritating personality.”

 

Perhaps trouble in paradise? “That may be true but there’s one difference.” He stroked her hair, cupped her chin then proceeded to kiss her luscious lips…a gentle kiss not overtly passionate. “I know how to take care of my woman’s needs. She would be by my side…not sitting alone in a restaurant.” She stood frozen. He brushed his thumb against her lips and said, “Don’t want to leave but I promised to take my daughter out for ice cream.” Of course he also needed to take another shower.

 

“Ok.” Is that all you can say Evangeline? She was melting under this handsome devil’s charms. Perhaps RJ’s predicament took more out of her than she first realized. Coupled with thoughts about the night her father died…where was the real Evangeline? She’s disappeared.

 

“See you back in Llanview sweetness.”

 

Precious seconds ticked by until she was able to recover. “Todd! Come back! No…wait…we are not…like that…” But he already turned the corner. “Shit! Shit!” She opened this Pandora’s Box. That trip to visit her mother was looking quite necessary. RJ could take care of himself. There weren’t any thoughts of playing his damn nursemaid even if she had betrayed him. She hoped Nora would understand her needing to take a longer vacation.

 

***

 

Of course he heard her calling after him but he wouldn’t allow her to explain away what happened last night or what was happening to them now. RJ better not fuck with him or his plans! A part of him found the thought of sneaking around intriguing. Whatever works but she will be mine. One step at a time Todd…One step at a time…He congratulated himself today was the first breakthrough.

 

***

 Llanfair…       

 

“He could at least call to check on his daughter.”

 

Another one of these Blair bemoans that she heaped upon Vicki from time to time. Todd gone for 1½ days and you’d think the world is coming to an end. She just happened to stop by for Sunday lunch but Todd hadn’t return as yet. Usually he parked his red BMW in the driveway when he went on trips.

 

“Blair these things take time. The both of you have been through this before.”

 

“Yes Blair we have all been through this before,” Jessica remarked sarcastic.

 

Blair shot her a blunt look. “Don’t think that I’m unaware that you set Todd up on that stupid blind date.”

 

“Jessica?” Vicki questioned.

 

“Both Uncle Todd and I are tired of the Blair merry-go-round.”

 

“You have no right to interfere in our personal business. Starr’s welfare is also at stake. Todd and I need to get back together to raise our family.”

 

“I don’t want to hear anymore,” she said rising from the table. “Excuse me I’m going to look for my niece.”

  

“Vicki you must speak to Jessica. She and Todd are very close and to have her against me kills my dream of getting back together with Todd,” she cried.

 

“Calm down Blair. I’ll have a word with her but have some faith alright. It’s not the end of the world. You should be concentrating on Starr.”

 

“You’re right Vicki but sometimes it’s so hard to raise a child like this. She loves her daddy so much and often asks why he isn’t at home with us.”

 

“Oh Blair...”

 

***

 

With one headache gone she took the time to finally relax but not before an irritated RJ called saying that the doctors weren’t going to be releasing him until tomorrow morning. He asked her to pack their stuff and schedule an early morning flight…done.

 

Todd’s gift bag sat in the middle of the bed teasing her. She easily could have left it outside or thrown it away but she didn’t. The cd heightened her curiosity and it would be very foolish if she threw away cabernet and chocolates. Her cell phone whirred on the nightstand.

 

“Cookie what’s wrong?”

“Mom what are you talking about?” Her fingers raked through her hair. Speak very relax. Don’t give Lisa any hints.  

“Last night my motherly instincts went into overdrive. Are you sure that you’re alright?”

 

“Everything is fine mom. Working hard as usual and right now I’m taking time out to relax.”

 

“Sure everything is fine baby?”

 

“Yes mom.”

 

“Have you given much thought to pursuing your Law Degree?” It always came back to that question. “It’s coming close to that time.”

 

“I’m still thinking about it.”

 

“And?”

“No decision as yet.”

 

“Evangeline don’t procrastinate on this decision. You’re a highly intelligent woman. This has always been your dream and your father would have wanted this for you.”

 

“I know that mom. Please don’t pressure me.” she sighed.

 

“I’m not pressuring you. I want what’s best for my daughter. Are you coming home to see me?”

 

“I may be paying you a visit very shortly.”

 

“Hope so because I’ve been missing my girl. Love you Cookie.”

 

“Love you too mom! Bye.”

 

A trip down to the hotel’s gym should clear her mind.

 

***

 

“Daddy!”

 

“My Shining Starr!” He lifted her into his arms and gave her a huge kiss. “What are you doing at your Aunt Vicki’s?”

 

“Playing... Can we go out for ice cream now?”

 

“After I take a breath and say hello to your Aunt and Cousin,” he laughed.

 

“Mom’s here too.”

 

He knew that as well but he wouldn’t allow her to put a damper on his happy mood. He set her down.

 

“Uncle Todd!”

 

“Hey Jessica.”

 

“Wondered where Starr disappeared. How was your trip?”

 

“Wonderful, exciting, extremely productive – one of the best weekends I’ve ever had.”

 

“Wow that good.”

 

“Daddy can we go now?” she asked, tugging on his sleeve.

 

“You’re being very persistent today.”

 

“Todd…” Vicki and Blair both said entering the hallway.

 

“Hi everyone. Starr really wants to go out for ice cream so we’re leaving.”

 

“May I join you?” Blair asked too hopeful.

 

“Please daddy?” Starr pleaded.

 

Either Starr was being genuine or Blair had put her up to this. He figured it to be a little bit of both. He didn’t want to disappoint Starr. “Ok your mother can come along,” he sighed.

 

“I’m coming too,” Jessica remarked.

 

“No you’re not. Remember you promised to help plan the charity ball. It’s time for us to go to the Llanview Country Club. Come on grab your bag and let’s go.”

 

“Well I guess I’ll see you guys later.”

  

“So it’s just you, me and Starr,” Blair announced.

 

“Don’t get your hopes up.” He turned his attention to Starr holding her hand. “Starr what is your favorite ice cream?”

 

“Strawberry!” she yelled.

 

“Do you know that your daddy is in love with a new flavor.”

 

“What is it daddy?”

 

“Dreams of chocolate…its chocolate ice cream smothered with dark chocolate syrup.”

 

“Sprinkles too?”

 

“Loads of sprinkles,” he laughed. “Hmmm….very delicious.”

 

Blair wasn’t sure if he was talking about ice cream or something else.

 

“Go wait for us by the car Short Stuff your mommy and I need to have a little chat.”

 

“Alright daddy...”

 

Blair leaned her head to one side and folded her arms.

 

“Let’s get one thing clear. This is my time with Starr. Don’t want to hear any of your wishes of us getting back and being together. When I wanted us to be a “family” you wanted to play the fucking field. Frankly I got tired of that bullshit. If you ever stray the conversation in that direction I’m going to get up and take Starr with me.”

 

“I understand perfectly,” she said between clenched teeth.

 

Todd walked away while Blair followed scratching her forehead.

 

***

Evening… 

 

The intense workout proved beneficial for her mind, body and spirit unfortunately not the condition of her hair. She spent some time deep conditioning, blow drying and flat-ironing out her tresses. A tedious task that drove her to bed next to Todd’s bag of goodies... What the hell – no harm in partaking in what’s mine. First she went to the mini bar to grab a wine glass and a corkscrew. A few minutes later her head tilted against the pillow feasting on bon bons, drinking Cabernet.

 

“This is so nice…” But something was missing. The room was too quiet. “Music...” namely Todd’s cd…

 

She opened the case and a note slipped out. A beautiful woman can never enjoy fine wine and chocolates without the perfect melody. She almost heard his suave voice saying the words. She slipped the cd into the entertainment system and stepped back. She couldn’t believe he ears…that bastard! It was also one of her favorite songs.

ba da ba da da da ah ya ya
ba da da da ba ba ee ah
Ba ya ya ba ba de ba da da da ah ya ya

ba da ba da da da ah ya ya
ba da da da ba ba ee ah
Ba ya ya ba ba de ba da da da ah ya ya
Ba ya ha ya ah ah ah ah ah ba ba ya ya
ha ah ah ah ah ah ah
 There used to be a greying tower alone on the sea.
You became the light on the dark side of me.
Love remained a drug that's the high and not the pill.

But did you know,
That when it snows,
My eyes become large and,
The light that you shine can be seen.

Baby,
I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grey.
Ooh,
The more I get of you
Stranger it feels, yeah.
And now that your rose is in bloom,
A light hits the gloom on the grey.

Her cell phone rang. The screen displayed unknown number. She answered anyway.

“Hello?”

“Hey beautiful...” 

“How did you get this number?”

“Wealthy men have connections.” 

“Well I could easily cut you off.”

“Not yet. I’m sure you’re enjoying my gifts.” 

“Todd you pretend that we are something that we’re not.”

“My dear your actions betray your proclamation. Have a good evening – dream about me because I’ll be having sweet dreams about you.” 

“Todd!” The phone went off. She flopped down on the bed.

 

Baby, to me you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny
Won't you tell me is that healthy, baby?
But did you know,
That when it snows,
My eyes become large and the light that you shine can be seen.

Chapter 5 by chocolate470

Damn RJ made her reschedule their return flight two different times. And what were the justifications? The first explanation involved a delay in his hospital’s release papers; maybe that she could swallow, but the next appeared to be some mix up with his prescriptions; in her mind an unlikely occurrence. Reluctantly she waited and waited at the hotel until finally he called her to pick him up for their 10:00 a.m. flight. Good because hotel check out time was 11:00 a.m. She informed a peeved Nora about her late arrival.

 

Her icy behavior on the flight and the drive from the airport made him question why she was treated him so coldly.

 

“What did I really do? I told you what happened.”

 

“Why didn’t you want me at the hospital?”

 

“Because I know how much you hate being in one.”

 

“”So you were doing me a favor….I can’t believe this bullshit!” She shook her head. He needed to shut up with these lame-ass excuses. They were even now. Vegas lived up to its Sin City moniker for the both of them.

 

“Is this about what went on with Nurse Olivia?” he speculated. “I hope you don’t believe…”

 

“Let it go RJ because I refuse to talk anymore about it,” she declared.

 

Evangeline stared outside at the fleeting images – familiar buildings and landmarks. Good to finally be home again. First stop – the Omni Apartment Complex.  She requested it as soon as they entered the car. It gave RJ an idea of her sour mood. He moved his hand towards hers and began playing with her fingers.

 

“You should be coming back to my apartment instead of going to work. Nora will understand.”

 

“My decision… besides she needs my help right now.”

 

“Baby your man needs you more.” She pulled her hand away. “Come on Evangeline whatever I’m being accused of doing isn’t true,” he said in a sincere tone.

 

“Clearly this relationship doesn’t mean much to any of us.”

 

All the accumulated guilt she felt about her encounters with Todd dissipated. Why should she take the relationship seriously when he didn’t.

 

“You mean a lot to me Evangeline. Our relationship has a great deal of potential.”

 

The car braked and she proceeded to open her passenger side door.

 

“How about dinner tonight…please. King’s Garden...”

 

Llanview’s most exclusive and hard to get a reservation restaurant unless you knew the owner personally or had dirt on him – plenty of rumors about Mr. Dan Richards’ personal affairs.

 

“Dinner? You need to take your medication and go to bed.”

 

“I’m feeling fine. Let’s make a clean start Evangeline. Tonight I want to make things right again.”

 

She paused momentarily then said, “There’s one way you can start making things right.” RJ gazed at her puzzled. “Hand over one of your cards. My wardrobe is boring and I must look my best if I decide to go out with you.”

 

RJ chucked and Evangeline extended her hand. He opened his wallet giving her a gold Visa card. “Don’t use it up all at once.”

 

***

 

“Layla, don’t leave like that.”

“Vange I’m tired of sticking around. Mom’s totalitarian rules are driving me up the wall.” 

She knew exactly how Lisa could be with those “rules for living under her roof”.

 

Balancing the phone between her ear and left shoulder she strapped her shoes.

“The college thing isn’t my style. Mom doesn’t get that I’m different from you.” 

“Just hold on for one more year and think hard about what you really want to do with your life. Hollywood has a quota system on black female actresses. Having your little friends and boyfriends say how beautiful you are doesn’t mean a thing. Becoming an actor takes a hard work and sacrifice.”

“Thanks a lot. I thought you of all people would give me support other than tearing down my dreams.” 

“That’s not what I’m trying to do. I’ve heard the horror stories and I don’t want anything to happen to my little sister.” She heard Layla blow out a breath. She also heard a knock at the door. “Could you please hold on? There’s someone at the door.”

“Yeah…”  

“Flowers…” she spied red roses through her peep-hole.

 

When she unlocked the door a dozen long stem red roses standing tall in vase were given to her by the delivery man. She inhaled its fragrant scent. RJ being romantic…the thought never crossed her mind until now – the beginning of a new chapter on their relationship.

 

“Hold on…”

 

“The tip is already taken care of ma’am.”

 

“Hmmm…”

  

“Oh… Layla, are you still there?”

“Did I hear you say something about flowers? Evangeline’s got a boyfriend,” she sang. 

“I’ll call you back later. I’m already late for work.”

“Whatever…”  

She couldn’t concentrate on Layla. There was an attached card that she had to read.

 

A rose by any other name wouldn’t sound or smell as sweet as you. Lame right. Todd!

 

Her heart sank. She placed the flowers on the coffee table and sat down on the sofa disappointed. She expected an immediate call from the bastard himself. Then it came.

 

“Yes I’ve received your flowers. Beautiful as they are you really shouldn’t have. This game of yours has got to end,” she said harshly.

“I’m not playing a game beautiful I like you very much.” 

“What type of person do you think I am? A slut hopping from one man’s bed to another...”

“Whoa Evangeline I’ve never considered you to be a slut…you’re beautiful, intelligent, unique. I want know more about you. We’ve already gone past that point of me knowing you in the biblical sense,” he laughed. 

“Not funny Todd…”

 

“Sorry…bad habit...”

 

Todd apologizing…wonders never cease. “Look Todd while I’m grateful that you were there for me.”

 

“Always,” he interrupted.

 

“What I’m saying is that…shit!” His sudden proclamation made her lose her train of thought.

“Have dinner with me tonight.” 

“No! I’ve already made plans with RJ.”

“Cancel them!” 

“Todd you don’t have the right to tell me to change my plans because you say so.”

 

“Pick you up at 8.”  He was gone.

  

“Such a PIGHEADED, STUBBORN, CHAUVINISTIC UGH! I’ll show him…” Immediately she dialed RJ’s number.

 

“Baby, are you settling in alright?”

“Yeah but I’m missing you being here.” 

“I know baby but you’ll see me all dressed up for you tonight...promise.”

 

***

 

Her focus work – when it needed to get done it got done accurately and efficiently. Her mind drifted when Nora pulled her in on one of her brainstorming sessions. More and more the Lacey case brought out Nora’s uncertainty. At that particularly moment Evangeline barely paid attention. She had her own issue – Todd Manning that never takes no for an answer. He’s planning something.

 

Nora shook her arm. “Have you been listening to a word I’ve said?”

 

“What were you saying again?” Her eyes refocused.

 

“It seems like Vegas is still on your mind. Don’t look at me like that…you know I know,” she replied, perching on the arm of the chair.

 

She wanted to say something but changed her tongue. “Strange that I haven’t received a lecture as yet…”

 

“Strange that you’re not at RJ’s apartment cuddling him...”

 

“Before you go there I’m not leaving him.”

 

“A stabbing hasn’t brought you back to your senses,” she said aghast.

 

“The stabbing wasn’t his fault. Nora he almost died and you want me to leave him after that experience.”

 

“You should have been running away. Trouble follows this guy everywhere.”

 

 “Nora let’s cease the arguing and go shopping.”

 

“Now?”

 

“Why not? Shopping does the mind good. Plus I’ve got a card that isn’t mine.” She waved the card in front of her.

 

“Interesting development...” She tapped her pencil against her cheek. “As your friend may I choose a selection for my wardrobe?”

 

“If you refrain from speaking against my relationship with RJ for the rest of the day then certainly I will.”

 

“Just one day?” Evangeline nodded her head. “I can do that. You promise that I won’t be taken to court for fraudulent charges?”

 

“Definitely not,” she smiled.

 

***

Stylz Boutique 45 minutes later… 

 

 

“That was so relaxing and liberating at the same time,” Evangeline said carrying her bags to the car. “Spending without care of the enormous bill later…”

 

“Especially when I was able to purchase this guilt free suit...”

 

“Sure to be the star at the Lacey summation.”

 

“Why did you have to remind me about work and how far behind I am in getting it completed?” she agonized.

 

“Nora, Nora.” Evangeline wrapped an arm around her friend. “You are Llanview’s best prosecutor. After closing arguments the jury will find that bastard guilty. Justice will be served because of you. The decedents’ family can rest easy.”

 

“What do you want?”

 

Guess she laid it on too thick. “One week to visit my mom,” Evangeline responded quickly.

 

“Starting?”

 

“Next week…”

 

“No can do Evangeline I really really need you.”

 

“I haven’t seen her in a long while. Do you want my mother coming to Llanview?”

 

“Yeah if it means that my case preparations are complete.”

 

Suddenly Evangeline’s eyes shifted to a figure moving a short distance away. “Who’s that little girl?”

 

“Who?”

 

Nora’s eyes glimpsed the cute blond-haired little girl with a purple Barbie blouse and jeans, wandering aimlessly between the parked cars.

 

“That little girl looks very familiar,” Nora observed.

 

“She also looks very sad…like she’s looking for someone. Let’s go and help her.”

 

They strolled towards her cautiously. She stopped and looked at the two adults a little apprehensive.

 

“Hey sweetheart, what are you doing out here by yourself?”

 

Evangeline’s voice soothed her. “I’m looking for my mommy,” …came a sad little voice...

 

“What’s your name?” Nora asked.

 

“Starr Manning. Please help me find my mommy.”

 

“Todd’s daughter...” They said together.

 

“She must have slipped away from Blair.”

 

Immediately Evangeline noticed the striking resemblance. “We should take her inside.” Evangeline held out her right hand and Starr grabbed it tightly. “Sweetheart let’s go inside and see if your mommy is in there…alright.”

 

“Ok,” she said meekly.

 

“Told you Todd’s ex-wife is loopy,” Nora whispered on her other side. “How could she lose sight of her daughter?”

 

“I’m sure this Blair isn’t a bad mother,” she whispered back.

 

“Then why is her daughter alone outside.”

 

“Maybe she’s sick with worry inside.”

 

“If Todd ever finds out about this he’ll want to strangle her. Another high profile case to prosecute...”

 

***

 

As soon as they entered past the doors Starr rushed into her mother’s arms holding her tightly around the waist. Blair had just finished paying for her purchase.

 

“Mommy!” she cried.

 

“Starr? Why are you so upset? I told you stay in the car.”

 

“I’m sorry mommy but I was scared being alone.”

 

“I didn’t take that long. Next time do as I say.”

 

“Yes mommy.”

 

With Starr at her side Blair strolled past them without any acknowledgement.

 

“That’s gratitude for you,” Nora said.

 

“Thank God she’s safe.”

 

“I feel sorry for a kid who has parents like Todd Manning and Blair Cramer. Blair behaves like something is always stuck up her ass while Todd is the biggest jerk this side of the Mississippi.”

 

“We can’t choose our parents,” Evangeline said as they exited.  

 

“I know that to be the truth.” The conversation stirred her memory. “Since the last time at my office has Todd tried to get in contact with you.”

 

“No.” A lie that needed to be told.

 

“You would tell me if he did?”

 

“What difference does it make?”

 

“A lot – one jerk to another. You have one of the worst track records in your choice of men.”

 

“Nora, can you please refrain from commenting negatively on my personal life! Your words can be so mean-spirited that I wonder if it’s my friend or my enemy speaking.”

 

She was caught off guard by her statement. “I’m sorry that I’ve hurt you Evangeline. I don’t mean to. You’re such a wonderful person and deserve the best in everything.”

 

“What’s that old saying – you have to kiss a lot of frogs before your prince comes along.”

 

“Here’s hoping that he comes along soon,” she smiled.

 

“Maybe he already has.”

 

***

King’s Garden… 

 

Dinner was going smoothly – an ensemble played romantic instrumentals in the foreground. Some diners danced while others carried on light conversation at the tables surrounding them. 

 

RJ kept peeking at her through his bites of beef tenderloin while she chewed on grilled salmon and steamed vegetables.

 

“You took exceptional advantage of the card...I see.”

 

After coxing Nora into an early exit she embarked on a trip to the hair salon that included hair, manicure, pedicure and a facial.

 

“Do you want it returned to you?” she asked.

 

“Keep it…it’s probably maxed anyway.”

 

“What type of woman do you think I am?” She tasted her white wine.

 

“Shrewd when crossed.”

 

“I’m curious…what do you do when someone crosses you.”

 

“Your friend Nora has been putting things into your head again. She should stay out of our business.”

 

Why was he being so defensive? “I am the one who recognizes that I really don’t know much about you at all.”

 

“Baby you know me where it counts,” he winked. That’s the problem – he still didn’t appreciate that there was more to a relationship than just sex. “Shit!”

 

“What is it?” It became clear when he answered his cell. She leaned back folding her arms…upset. “You said no cell phones tonight.”

 

“Honey I’m a business man. Things are bound to happen at the club when I’m not around. I told them only call me when it’s an emergency.”

 

“Deal with your fucking emergency I’m going to the ladies room.” She threw down her napkin on the table, stood up abruptly and left.

 

Fresh start he says – RJ is not really ready for a serious commitment she mentally told herself.

 

***

 

She locked herself in the stall for five minutes to calm herself before returning to an empty table. Surprising no but it renewed her frustration with RJ. Soon a waiter approached.

 

“Mr. Gannon said to inform you that he’ll be back shortly. He apologizes for leaving so abruptly but there seems to be an emergency at his club. I also have a note for you.”

 

“A note?” She opened it – an invitation to another section of the restaurant – A Room with a View.

 

“Excuse me sir.” The waiter turned to face her. “Where is this room with a view?”

 

“Follow me.”

 

They strolled past the restaurant’s main seating area to the rear of the building. He escorted her along a straight corridor that led to different private dining rooms. RWV lied at the furthest end. The waiter knocked then left her standing at the door’s entrance.

The candle lit room as advertised had an excellent view of downtown LLanview. Instead of cushioned chairs it featured a sofa whose color coordinated with the beige carpeting underneath. The height of the white linen covered table was equivalent to the sofa’s elevation. Red rose petals laid strewn between two crystallize champagne glasses. An opened bottle of champagne nestled in a bucket of ice at the side. This man definitely knew how to create a romantic setting. 

“You do have an unhealthy obsession with me.”

 

Her stunning appearance knocked him out – hair amassed with tight curls, body dressed in a plunging neckline, beaded, platinum thigh-length dress; stiletto heels and a gold clutch under her arm.

 

He moistened his lips. “Believe me obsession is the wrong word to describe how I’m feeling about you.” He stood with one hand shoved into his slack’s pockets looking relaxed and handsome in his tan, leather jacket. “A different look for you…”

 

“Sometimes a woman needs a change once in a while...if only for one night.”

 

“Why don’t you come join me on the sofa?” He poured her a glass of champagne.

 

“I’m still on my date with RJ. Sorry for you that I can’t stay for long,” she said strolling inside.

 

“We also have a date remember.” He handed her the glass. “You’ll go back to a date where a man leaves in the middle of dinner.”

 

“He had an emergency at the club but I guess you knew that already,” she replied, taking a sip of champagne. “A glass of martini is more my taste.”

 

“If you bother to show up for our next date you can have any drink you desire.”

 

She ignored him, stepping towards the glass window. “The view is breathtaking.”

 

“And so is the female company,” he muttered. He scanned her form watching as she tossed her head slightly, shifting her weight from one foot to the other. “Do I scare you Evangeline?”

 

That question made her spin around. “Do I look like someone that’s easily frightened? Obviously you want to relive that night in your Vegas apartment.” She observed the bulge in his trousers center.

 

“Yes I’m physically attracted to you. Any man would be. Damn look at you. I’m practically using my sheer will to calm junior.”

 

“Junior? You call your thing junior?” she laughed.

 

He laughed as well at what she may be thinking at that point. “Seriously Evangeline I would love to get become more acquainted with the amazing woman that is standing before me. Is that alright?”

 

Evangeline relaxed her position.

  

“Come, sit with me.” He took her by the hand – a heat surged from her fingertips through her entirety. “You know I have a better idea.” His other hand crept around her waist.

 

“Which is?” she breathed.

 

“Let’s go for a drive in my car.” He moved in closer. Their foreheads touch.  

 

“It seems that you enjoy taking advantage of my emotions.”

 

This latest comment pissed him off. Was she implying that he took advantage of her in his Vegas hotel room? He backed away from her. “If you feel that way get the hell out of here!”

 

“What’s wrong Todd did I hit a nerve? Don’t you want me straddling your waist – that huge rod of yours buried inside me…fucking my brains out!” Where was this anger coming from? “That’s all you men think about these days…a booty call.”

 

She drank the last smidgen of champagne, set the glass on the table and headed towards the door. Todd grabbed her from behind and pulled her against his chest. “Stop fighting me! I’m not that dumb fuck RJ that doesn’t know what he has and how to treat this special lady in his life.”

 

She wriggled free from his hold. “And what makes you think that you can do a better job?”

 

“Because…because I sense a strong connection between us and I know you feel it too or you would have never stepped into this room.”

 

“Do you hear yourself…strong connection?” Evangeline asked in disbelief.

 

“Loud and clear…”

 

“Alright Todd I’ll admit that I’m attracted to you but I’ve been down this road before…with RJ. Attraction don’t mean shit. Just a fancy word for lust.”

 

“You don’t want to see it do you?”

 

“See what?”

 

“That you and I are destined to be together.” He clasped her face between his hands. She felt entranced by his intense stare. He pressed his lips against hers, kissing her sweetly. “Let’s get out of here.”

 

“No Todd,” She turned away from him. “You’re trying to sell me a dream that doesn’t exist. I have a boyfriend. You have an ex-wife and a daughter. There’s too much drama.”

 

“Just give me one chance,” he said, wrapping his arms around her.

  

 

 

“Evangeline… Todd? What the fuck is going on here!”

 

“RJ!” Evangeline felt caught and quickly pushed Todd aside.

 

“You sneaky sonofabitch!” he growled after Todd.

 

But before Todd could respond RJ leapt at him, connecting with a punch across his left cheek. The blow rocked him backwards and he dragged RJ with him as they both fell hard against the table causing it break; champagne, glasses crashing to the floor. Momentarily the fall knocked the wind out of both of them but ultimately the tide turned when Todd regained his momentum flipping him over. RJ landed on his back in obvious pain.

 

“ARGGH!”

 

Todd jumped on his torso punching him repeatedly in the face. “You…you want a fucking piece of me… RJ! COME ON!”  

 

“Todd that’s enough! Get off HIM!”

 

“He attacked me first!” He yelled, eyes never leaving RJ’s bloodied features.

 

“Please Todd…,” she pleaded.

 

He looked up and saw her staring at him with a mixture of fear and sadness. Only then did he slowly rise, breathing heavily. With his adrenaline gone his body ached all over and his jaw swelled. He staggered to the edge of the sofa and flopped down.

Todd surveyed the scene. The room was turned upside down – champagne and blood staining the carpet, broken table, glasses. It could have been worst. He’d be receiving a hefty bill and banishment together. He watched helplessly as she helped RJ to his feet and lightly touched his bruise face - a bitter pill he had to swallow. He won the battle but had lost Evangeline…for now. This wasn’t the end just the beginning. 

Chapter 6 by chocolate470

“Destined to be together”

 

Did Todd consider her to be a stupid eighteen year old that falls for such clichés? She remembered back in high school when Derek Walker, captain of the football team called her his “dark angel”. Immediately she fell hard for him (puppy love) – his model looks…dark brown skin, brown eyes that twinkled when he smiled. Sadly she was merely another notch on his belt. It crushed her to be so used and thought of as a piece of flesh. Luckily she didn’t get pregnant or heaven forbid caught a disease. She wised up after an experience that highlighted her immaturity. It was during that time that she missed her daddy so much. He would have taken care of Derek and told her to forget about that jerk because she always had his love.

 

***

 

Nursemaid after all

 

She applied a cold compress to his black eye and cleaned away the blood from his bruised lip. He resisted going to the emergency room. She ran him a hot bath then helped him into his bed. The pain medication started to take effect. He became less irritated but immediately went into the questioning.      

 

“Why were you with Todd?”

 

“Got tired of waiting at that table alone,” she replied coolly, fluffing his pillows.

 

“So you happen to run into Todd at the restaurant. Knowing how much I despise that bastard I was surprised to find you in his arms! Looks like you are trying to make me jealous. But I feel there’s something more going on.”

 

“Are you finished accusing me?” she asked frustrated.

 

“What do you expect me to believe when I go searching for my girlfriend and find her having a splendid time with of all people…Todd? Explain to me Evangeline… was this your first time hanging out with Todd?”

 

“You interrogating me is so damn funny. I should be the one asking you a lot of questions.”

 

“This is totally different. Todd and I have a long miserable history. For my woman to be chumming around with him looks mighty suspicious.”

 

Evangeline threw up her arms in disdain. “Leaving now.” RJ grabbed her arm squeezing it tightly. “Let me go right now or I swear what Todd did to you will pale in comparison to what I’m capable of doing,” she warned with a fiery glare. He released her arm.

 

“I want my stuff back.”

 

“You can have it all back! Lose my number because we’re through!” She sprinted towards the door.

 

“That’s ok. For a time you were a great ass!”

 

She spun around. “I feel the same way. The only good thing about you is lying dead between your legs stupid, brainless ass! I should have left you there for Todd to humiliate you even more!”

 

“I hope you enjoy being in the middle of the Todd and Blair circus.”

 

She slammed the bedroom door. What words he said or what he threw against the wall she could care less. Hastily she collected her jacket and clutch from the sofa then called Nora. She needed a ride home.

 

***

 Llanfair… 

 

“Vicki, open up!”

 

He pounded on the door for a time but either Vicki didn’t hear him or she didn’t want to hear him. He sat down on the concrete staircase. He still ached but nothing compared to the heartache. Evangeline must be thinking he was some sort of uncontrollable monster. He blamed himself for pushing her back into RJ’s arms.  I was so close.

 

“Uncle Todd?” Jessica and her date Antonio stumbled upon an unexpected guest.

 

“What?”

 

“What happened to you?” His red, swollen jaw, bruised hand and unkempt appearance sent off internal alarm bells. “What are you doing here?” She gazed around the grounds. “Where’s your car?”

 

“Geez… one question at a time…”

 

“Antonio he’s hurt,” she said her tone laced with concern. “Look at his face, hand.”

 

“He must have been involved in a fight,” he pointed out.

 

“Or he fought off robbers. Maybe we should call the police.”

 

“Hell No Jessica! Your Latin lover is right.” Antonio’s face twisted into a scowl.

 

“Then we’ll take you to the emergency room.”

 

“Jessica I just want to get inside… alright.”

 

Antonio pulled her aside. “I believe Todd is a little drunk.”

 

“There’s no such thing as a little drunk,” she argued.

  

Todd stood up balancing on the rail. “Jessica!”

 

“I’m coming!”

 

“Say goodnight to Mr. Machismo. He’s had you for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I’m sure you can give him dessert some other time.”

 

“Your Uncle is something.”

 

“Well right now he’s in a real bad state so don’t pay any attention to him.” She kissed him. “See you tomorrow.”

 

“Yeah for dessert.... Good night.”

 

***

 

Jessica flicked on the hallway lights – he looked the same…no worst than he first appeared.

 

“Will you tell me what you were fighting about?”

 

“A woman… I don’t understand women. You give them what they want; you try to be a gentleman and still it’s not good enough,” he grumbled.

 

A lecture from Vicki made her hold her tongue about the subject. She hoped he wasn’t talking about Blair. “I’m going to wake mom.”

 

“Don’t bother Vicki. I’m alright.”

 

“You can barely walk straight.”

 

“Nothing that Clint’s whiskey collection won’t fix.”

 

“Oh no…,” she grabbed his arm, “No more beer or women for you. You’re going to sleep in one of the bedrooms.”

 

“Don’t rain down on my parade when it’s just getting started.”

 

“The parade has come to an end, let’s go.”

 

A determined Jessica pushed him up the stairs.

 

***

 

Nora scarcely said anything when she picked her up and dropped her off. She was clever enough to read between the lines.

That night Evangeline spent a couple of hours clearing any memories of RJ out of her life for good. Whatever jewelry, mementos, cards, love notes and articles of clothing were all boxed and stored in that Nissan of hers that she planned to return to him in the morning. Neither sweet words, promises nor his amazing rod could persuade or to go back to that doomed relationship. Time to stop running away from my life... 

***

Llanfair… 

 

Despite Todd’s earlier declaration Jessica woke her mother who called Dr. Foster immediately much to Todd’s consternation. He became one of his more difficult borderline intoxicated patients. A threatened call for the ambulance seemed to quiet him down.

 

Later he spoke to Vicki and Jessica who were standing outside Todd’s room. “He has quite a few bruises over his body. You said he was involved in a fight.”

 

“That’s what he told me.”

 

“I hope the bruising isn’t too serious,” Vicki’s voice tinged with worry.

 

“No…rest and medication should be able to take care of whatever ails him. He’ll be back to his old self. Heaven help us.” They all chuckled.

 

“Thank you Dr. Foster for coming out at this hour.”

 

“Well it helps when you live two houses down. My bill will arrive in the morning. I’ll show myself out.”

  

Jessica decided to tell Vicki her other concern. “Mom I don’t know the whereabouts of his car.”

 

“I’ll call Bo in the morning. Todd promised that he’d never go over the edge like this again. Let’s pray he didn’t hurt someone in the process.”

 

***

Next morning… 

 

“How are you feeling?”

 

“Half dead…” His head laid flat on the kitchen table, mouth dry, head throbbing. “Ah…could you please take off that coffee grinder?”

 

She pressed the off button. “It’s the juicer.”

 

“Thank you whatever it was.”

 

“Want some breakfast?”

 

“I want a liter of black coffee and a ride home.” He managed to balance his chin in the palm of his left hand.

 

Vicki let out a long breath. “So tell me how it happened.”

 

“Well you know me Vicki I have to defend my white ass every now and again.”

 

The small joke didn’t come across well. “You promised.”

 

“One slip up after so many years...”

 

“What if Starr …”

 

“That’s not fair! I wouldn’t do that again!” He got up from the table and walked away.

 

One night he was driving Blair home. They were both drunk and involved in a heated argument. He lost control of the car and it flipped a couple of times before coming to rest in a ditch. Blair had to be flown by air ambulance to Llanview hospital. Later the doctors found out that she was four weeks pregnant. The guilt of almost killing his unborn child made him stay with her for a long time.

 

“What about your coffee?”

 

“Forget it I’m going home with or without your help.” He walked into the living room yelling, “JESSICA!”

 

“Its 10 a.m. Jessica is already at the office holding over,” Vicki said behind him.

 

“I recall taking a cab ride. My car is at King’s garden. Don’t worry I wasn’t so reckless this time around.”

 

“That’s good to hear Todd.”

 

***

 

Evangeline rapped at Nora’s office door – something she needed to tell her best friend.

 

“I did it.”

 

“Other than dumping that jerk RJ.”

 

“Yes other than that. I’ve sent in my acceptance letter to NYU Law School.”

 

“Congratulations,” she said a little wary – a pretty expensive university. One of the top law schools in the nation. Evangeline was intelligent enough to get in but did she have the finances.

 

“They’ve granted me a scholarship. I guess my grades, legal and community work in Atlanta and of course my good looks just blew them away.”

 

“CONGRATULATIONS!” She rushed to embrace her. “So when will you be leaving?”

 

“Fall semester. I’m sure three years will go by quickly.”

 

“I’m going to miss you so much.”

 

“Nora you’ve been such an inspiration to me. By the time I’ve established my own career you’ll be Llanview’s first female DA.”

 

“Then you’ll come join me as an ADA.”

 

“Are you sure you’ll want me to? I may be after your job.”

 

“Bring it on Evangeline.” They both laughed. “May I give you my observation?” Evangeline nodded her head. “You seem sad.”

 

“It’s probably because of everything that’s going on in my life and not because of RJ. Although I wish things would have worked out differently. Another failed relationship.”

 

“Don’t give up Evangeline.”

 

“Going into another relationship is the last thing on my mind right now. Law school will take up a whole chunk of my life. That’s what I’m good at and I’m going to succeed.”

 

“A weekend celebration…”

 

“If you don’t have work or Bo on your agenda,” she smiled.

 

***

 

A frustrated Todd said, “It was right here Vicki. I’m telling you the truth.”

 

But it seemed to have vanished into thin air. They were standing outside of King’s Garden. Vicki called Bo’s cell and received some vital information.

 

“Todd I’ve got some bad news.”

 

“About?” he swerved her direction.

 

“Bo said that your BMW was towed away to the junkyard. It seems that somebody took a bat to it last night.” Todd’s features turned bright red. “Probably the same person from last night.”

 

“Must have been,” he seethed. He’ll be dealt with soon enough. He calmed himself.

 

“You’re going to file a report?”

 

“With those police knuckleheads…nah…I’ll buy a new car. No big deal.”

 

***

 

Three days later and RJ drove up in that same black Nissan as she exited her building to go to work. At first he startled her but she tried her best to ignore him.

 

“Evangeline let’s get back together. Baby I’m sorry never meant to go at you like that. Just upset that I allowed Todd to beat me up. It affected my pride.” RJ stopped the engine and exited his car.

 

“RJ it’s over! Get away from me!” She walked increased her pace.

 

“Baby, come on! I’m missing you so much!”

 

“Well I don’t miss you! Leave me alone!”

 

“You can have the car. I don’t need it.”

 

“Neither do I!” She turned around then smacked him across the injured side of his face. He flinched.

 

“That’s no way to show your affection.”

 

He grabbed both her arms. Evangeline lifted her right leg and kneed him in the groin. RJ dropped to the sidewalk in a fetal position.

 

“You Bitch!” he yelled out in pain.

 

“I told you not to mess with me!”

 

A red Volkswagen screeched violently next to the sidewalk diverting her attention. The tinted windows rolled down and she heard the doors unlock.

 

“Get In!” Todd’s unmistakable voice yelled. Designer shades shielded his eyes from view. She hesitated. “Get in before we have another situation like what happened at the garden.” No way RJ was going to put his hands on her again.

 

She got inside then said, “You know where I work…drive.”

 

“Good Morning to you too Ms. Williamson. Didn’t your mother teach you manners?” He put the car in reverse.

 

“Are you going to take me to work or not?”

 

“Not with that attitude sweetheart besides work can wait. Breakfast is calling. I’m hungry.” He looked at her with a toothy grin. She gathered her tresses together then let them go. No use arguing Todd being his usual self. “Then again I should be scared of you.”

 

Evangeline smirked.

 

Witnessing RJ rolling on the ground made his morning. Good things come to those who wait. That sucker had another thing coming for busting up his ride. He had a good long chat with the inspector seems that his club isn’t up to code and that liquor license is going to be reviewed – Sunset closed down for weeks. He should be grateful he was being this lenient.

 

“A choice between Denny’s maybe I-Hop.”

 

“Not playing your stupid game.” She started texting on her new cell. Nora needed to know about her late arrival or her being taken as a hostage.

 

“You got a new phone. Don’t think I don’t know that number.”

 

“Astonishing you didn’t call,” she said sarcastic.

 

“Sounds like you wanted me to. Missed hearing my voice?”

 

For the past two days it was difficult trying to impede himself from getting in contact with her. Two days of terrorizing his staff and Jessica eyeing him suspiciously. He missed everything about her but didn’t want her to feel smothered by his persistence. The first time he was being considerate of a woman’s emotions. Evangeline didn’t know that she had him twisted up.

 

“I’ve got better things to think about.” Those damn shades made him look extra delicious.

 

“But I’m sure you thought about me a little.” More than a little but she’d never admit it to his face. “Here we are – I-Hop.”

 

“Good for you. I’ve already had breakfast so you can go inside alone.”

 

“You’re coming with me or I’ll lock you in this car until I return. Who knows how long that’ll be?”

 

“I’ll call the police and they’ll charge you with false imprisonment.”

 

“Go ahead.” The Llanview dingbats couldn’t find a bat in a cave. “Won’t Nora be thrilled to find you hanging out with the other bastard.”

 

Evangeline tossed her head and stepped out of the car. She made sure to stay one step ahead of him. Todd took off his shades admiring the woman in front of him…even though she was dressed in jacket and pants she still looked hot!

Inside… 

“Order something.”

 

“No thank you I’ve already eaten.”

 

An impatient waitress waited for them to resolve whatever issue they were having.

 

Todd ignored her and ordered. “We’ll have the blueberry waffles with whip cream on top plus two cups of black coffee.” The waitress left quickly.

 

“I told you that I didn’t want anything,” she expressed in a rigid tone.

 

“Don’t do it Evangeline.” He spied the bottle of syrup. “I really love this blue shirt.”

 

That made her crack a smile. “Sorry but I’m not up for paying any dry cleaning bill,” she said playful. It amazed her how he turn their exchanges around to his advantage. Their eyes connected and her heart fluttered. She shifted them away.

Fight all you want Evangeline but its real. 

***

 

“Starr and I love lots of whip cream on our waffles.”

 

She almost forgot that he was a father. To hear him speak about his daughter was refreshing. “How is Starr?” She asked tearing open a packet of sweet and low.

 

“You’ve met my daughter?” he asked in mid-chew.

 

“I met her one day while shopping at Stylz. She’s so cute and adorable. Doubt if she’ll remember me.”

 

“I’m sure she will. You’re an unforgettable woman.” Her heart skipped a beat when he glance her way again. “Starr is my little angel. Best thing going in my life.” He stuck a finger in her whip cream took it out and popped it into his mouth.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“I told you I love whip cream.”

 

“That’s bad manners.”

 

“Really Ms. Prim and Proper…” He dabbed a little on her nose.

 

“You didn’t just do that,” she said cleaning the tip of her nose with a napkin.

 

“I did Ms. Williamson,” he replied boldly.

 

She scooped up an amount and smeared it over his face. His reaction made her laugh until he did the same to her. It threatened to get out of hand until the waitress admonished both of them.

 

“Your fault,” he teased.

 

“How could it be my fault when you started this?” Vigorously wiping her face couldn’t remove the oily film. “Excuse me I need to go and wash my face.” She set aside her napkin and rose from her chair.

 

“You do know that I’m not taking you to work today,” he said grasping her hand.

 

“I figured that out from the moment I entered your car. I know you by now Manning.”

 

“Not everything.” he said, caressing her hand. “You’ll never know someone unless you open up your mind to the possibility...”

 

“In this instance do I have a choice?”

 

“Not really,” he said smugly. She eased her hand out from his and strolled away.

 

Remarkably the idea of not taking her to work just popped into his head. He had no clues on the places she might enjoy but that was of little consequence to Todd Manning.

 

***

***

 

Twenty minutes into the drive she asked, “Where are you taking me?”

 

“I’m not sure. Where would you like to go?”

 

Unbelievable “Thought you had this all worked out.”

 

He shrugged his shoulders. “When I’m in the company of a beautiful woman can’t think straight. So I ask again…where would you like to go?”

 

She bit her bottom lip while shifting in her seat. When he spoke in that silky voice it brought shivers down her spine. Her mind went blank.

 

“Uh…just drive. Anywhere is fine.”

 

“Anywhere she says.”

 

***

 

First stop the Wallenberg museum – smaller in scale than the Museum of Modern Arts. It displayed creations both inside and outside on the grounds. 

 

“So you believe this is more along my style.”

 

“I don’t know…maybe…You’re an intellectual woman.”

 

“A museum is nice but I prefer simpler things like grabbing a beer and playing a pool game.”

 

A pleasant surprise…Todd linked their fingers as they strolled along. “Since we’re already here let’s go on a tour. We can do what we both enjoy later.”

 

***

 

It became a fun-filled activity pointing out and sometimes laughing at art in the modern era. Sculptures of pigs wallowing in the mud, cows moving across the stone path, sheep basking on the sun drenched lawn and other animal themes dotted the landscape. Reminded Evangeline of an eclectic barnyard frozen in time. Todd kept her in stitches by making funny faces at the sculptures and doing weird poses. She wished she had brought along a camera to blackmail him in the future.

  

Lunch consisted of chips, hotdogs and soda. Later they relaxed in the backseat listening to classic Billie Holiday jazz from his cd player. She didn’t know where they were but she felt secure.

 

“This has been an enjoyable day. By far the best time I’ve spent in Llanview.”

 

“I bet you never thought it would be.”

 

“I most certainly did not. I guess you proved me wrong…again.”   

 

He gently moved aside a lock of hair lightly touching her cheek.

 

“May I kiss you?” It seemed the appropriate moment. She arched a curious eyebrow. The question astonished her. “Still waiting for your answer...”

 

Eyelids lowered, slightly parting lips – a definite invitation… He tilted his head forward proceeding to suck on her bottom lip before sliding his tongue into the warmth of her mouth. Their beating hearts shut out all other sounds surrounding them. Soon arms wrapped into a passionate embrace drawing their bodies closer. She felt Todd’s growing erection on the base of her stomach and wetness pooling at her center.

 

“Hmmm,” she moaned as their lips parted.

 

One hand rested at the back of her neck while the other cupped her face. His eyes couldn’t hide his desire but then again neither could hers. “Have you ever made love in the backseat of a car?”

 

“Yeah,” she responded unabashed.

 

Todd smiled wickedly. “Was it in the backseat of a red Volkswagen?”

 

“No,” she whispered licking her lips.

 

“There’s always a first time.”

 

“You know the rules.”

 

“No kissing, no touching, just…”

 

“Shut up Todd.” She pulled him into a kiss.

 

***

 

Such a struggle to remove clothing in a small space – the process took some effort but the reward at the end made it all worthwhile. Not that there wasn’t some hesitation on her side.

 

“What’s wrong?” he asked concerned.

 

Momentarily she prevented him from savoring her erect chocolate nipples, gliding his hands down those shapely legs then entering her sweet center – his shaft throbbed.

 

“Maybe we shouldn’t be doing this here or maybe… not at all…”

 

Her words deflated him a little. “Evangeline, why are you so afraid of us?”

 

“There’s no us Todd,” she pointed out.

 

“Yes there is.” He brushed his lips against hers whispering again, “Yes there is.”

 

He inserted two fingers into her moist center. “Ohhh…” A soft moan exited her lips.  She slanted her head and back against the passenger seat. He nibbled on her neck, fondling and tweaking her left breast. Small cries of pleasure and harsh breathing bounced around the car’s interior. Magically fingers stroke deep inside of her while his thumb massage her swollen clit making little circles.

 

Suddenly his left hand shifted her to the top of the leather seat allowing his mouth to explore those two chocolate delights.

 

“Sooo damn good. You make me feel so…ahhh!” Her walls tightened around his fingers. She gripped his hair tightly. “OH! OHHhhhh!” Warm liquid coated his fingers filling the air with the scent of her sweetness.

  

“Sweet,” he said moving his fingers towards his mouth enjoying her sweetness.

 

“Get off me.”

“What?” It was just getting started and now she wanted to end it. 

“My turn to take control…can you handle that,” her eyes sparkled.

 

“As long as you’re that woman...”  He gently kissed her lips allowing her to taste some of her sweetness before he moved away.

 

***

 

An awesome body – blond brownish hairs spread out across his lean torso and “junior” protruding straight up, its pink tip slick with pre-cum. He groaned closing his eyes as her warm mouth covered the tip while her tongue methodically licked. He fought off the strong urge to slam junior against the back of her throat.

 

“Evangeline…,” he barely whispered through glazed over eyes. “I need to be inside you.”

 

Poor Todd must not have been getting any in a while. “Condom?”

 

He pointed, “Over there.”

She winced as he smacked her firm ass. He’ll pay for that. After tearing away the packaging she deliberately slid the condom down over his pulsating member. Another groan escaped his lips when she bit and sucked hard on the side of his neck His employees will know exactly what he’s been up… skipping work. 

She was taking too long. “Evangeline…” His head moved from side to side.

 

“Say you want me now Todd.”

 

“I want you…I want you – I want you…now…”

 

She straddled his lap, spreading her thighs, easing down on his thick shaft. Grabbing her hips he let out a breath…finally. He thrust into her harder, deeper feeling her fingers clawing at his bare shoulders. They were one in mind and pleasure. The fact that they were inside a car parked on the side of who the hell cared easily forgotten. The atmosphere in the car steamed with sweat and sex. Their bodies bounced up and down rocking the car. 

 

Her walls squeezed his shaft. “OH Yes!” – “Ahh…” His body went rigid. Sweet release… They fell away in opposite directions chests heaving.

 

***

15 minutes later… 

Afterglow – his remained as they sat in the front seat car – his body facing her stroking her damp tresses.

 

“I’m thinking we should go back to my place; take a shower, cuddle in bed, talk about our relationship.”

 

Evangeline’s sighed as she straightened her jacket. A prospective relationship was out of the question. “Todd a relationship is not possible…”

 

“FUCK!” He slammed his hands down on the steering wheel. “It’s like I’m hitting my head against a fucking brick wall. You’re asking me to forget – move on. Cant…” he shook his head.

 

“I enjoy hanging out; being with you but I can’t get myself involved in a long term relationship.”

 

“Why?”

 

“In the fall I’m leaving Llanview to attend NYU law school for three years.”

 

For a brief second the announcement shook his core. As if she had it planned all the while. He wondered if she would ever want to be love or give of her love. “You let guys come into your life then push them away. We never had a chance. That’s how I see it.”

 

“That’s so not fair Todd. I have a right to go for my dreams.”

 

“Yeah but me allowing you to walk out of my life is not an option,” he ended emphatically.

He donned his shades, revved up the engine and took off down the road. Whether she wanted to or not they were going to go to his damn apartment and talk things over. 

Chapter 7 by chocolate470
Todd and Evangeline 

  

“You’re not being reasonable.”

 

I’m being unreasonable,” he said incredulous. “That relationship with RJ was a joke.”

 

“And you’re a great judge of relationships.”

 

A disagreement that moved from the car into the lobby of his complex without much room for compromise…

 

“I guess what we did in the backseat was just a sexual thank you for being a good shoulder to cry on!”

 

“Would you please keep your voice down,” she stressed hoping he’d hurry up and punch the elevator button.

 

“Honey the hickey on my neck shows a lot.”

 

Definitely bright red and a weird circular shape…She gave him a “did I do that” look then folded her arms. “Push the damn button.”

 

“Your wish is my command madam,” he bowed.

 

“Asshole,” she muttered.

 

Those who were coming to the ground floor exited whilst others joined them on the upward ride. They stood by themselves at the back hardly acknowledging each other’s presence. Periodically the doors opened and one by one their traveling companions departed. Before long they were the only two remaining.

 

“What are you going to do now?” he asked turning towards her. “Runaway. Pretend like there’s nothing real going on between us.”

 

“I’m not running away. I’m still here.”

 

***

The Penthouse… 

 

Could her eyes get any wider? Todd’s living space tripled her apartment floor plan…if left alone she may get lost in one area. The decorating and furnishing impressed her but doubted that he did it on his own.

 

“I’m going upstairs to shower. Coming?” he asked removing his shirt.

 

She mentally noted the conversation change. “And what am I going to wear afterwards?”

 

“I have shirts, boxers. You can throw your clothes in the washer. I have a laundry room at the back,” he replied walking up the staircase. “Unless…”

 

“Shut up.” Although upset she followed him up the stairs into his master bedroom.

Again her eyes surveyed his bedroom – king size bed, flat screen tv, massive entertainment system. Todd undressed and entered his walk-in closet. Suddenly she felt visible and sat uneasily on the edge of his bed. Leave now while you still have some dignity. 

“Is this alright?”

 

“W-What?”

 

He showed her a black silk shirt and boxers. What were those from his pimp days? She said, “Fine.”

 

“What’s wrong now?” Him all exposed and being casual about it… “Do whatever you want. I’m going to soak in my tub. It seems like the strong-willed Evangeline has been replaced with a timid version.”

 

“It won’t work Manning. I know what you’re trying to do.”

 

“Do you? I calls them as I sees them. You’re afraid of a man that genuinely cares for you.”

 

“You are the one that’s desperate! Why chase after a woman who already has a man.”

 

Todd threw up his arms in disbelief. Their argument started anew. Evangeline was fiery while Todd brought in the usual smug commentary. At this juncture she forgot about her earlier reservation and began undressing – something to do in the midst of a storm.

 

“Word on the street is that you’ve been stuck with Blair for so long that you need a pickaxe to pry yourself away from her.”

 

“Is that so,” he scratched his chin.

 

“Maybe you’re the one that’s afraid. Afraid that you don’t have the guts to get away from the shrew called Blair. You were the bitch in that relationship and now you are trying to use me to regain control over your manhood!”

 

What a way to end an argument. Well on her way to becoming a shrewd attorney. “You really know how to hurt a guy when it suits your case Ms. Williamson,” he said softly. He excused himself and calmly strolled into the bathroom.

 

His words shocked her at first but then guilt set in. Why did she need to go there? Todd didn’t say anything that warranted such a backhanded comment. Unsure of what to do or where to go next she remained standing, massaging her forehead, listening to water pouring into the tub.

 

***

 

She brought to light an insecurity that he struggled with – the fear he couldn’t move on with life without Blair. Enduring a never-ending cycle of a volatile relationship with Starr stuck in the middle of it all.  It irked him that Evangeline witnessed his vulnerability. Above all else her accusation made him walk away.

 

He settled inside the tub splattering sudsy water over his arms and chest. He lowered his eyelids thinking why go through this…Its clear that she wants to have her cake and eat it too; sex – sure but a relationship – never. I’ll never give up on us.

 

“I shouldn’t have said those words.” 

 

He elevated his eyes to see his naked dark angel perched on the edge of the black marble tub. Hair gathered in an up-do. Instantly he became aroused. “Forget about it.”

 

“Todd you have become a friend...”

 

I’m more than your friend. “Water under the bridge, don’t dwell on it. You bested me at my own game.”

 

“But I really want to make it up to you.” His attention peaked when she displayed a condom then read, “Ultra-ribbed for maximum pleasure during those intimate moments,” she said seductive. “Finding this makes me wonder.”

 

“Who else has been sleeping in my bed? Just one usual suspect that you know by now,” he smiled. “Evangeline let’s get one thing clear,” he said rising, “I’m not using you to get over nobody. Blair is Starr’s mother otherwise she’s dead to me.”

 

Water fell away from his skin. Evangeline swallowed eyeing his perfectly cut body as well as his enlarged shaft sticking straight out. “Ok,” she breathed.

 

As his hands crept up her smooth legs their lips pressed together into a passionate kiss. Penetrating her center he found her to be wet and ready. He tore away the condom wrapping and slid it over his throbbing member. He lifted her slightly easing into her opening.

 

“Ah,” she moaned running her fingers through his hair while he feasted on her breasts.

 

The water noisily splashed around his legs as he barreled into her faster and deeper. The intense encounter caused Evangeline to arch her back gripping the tub’s edge as best as she could. She screamed when a powerful climax ripped through her body. Todd continued on extending his pleasure then, “Huh…huh…” he collapsed on her shoulder.

 

***

 

“Hungry?” he asked nestled behind her in the tub.

 

“I’m starving.”

 

“We could order some Chinese, Italian.” he replied kissing her cheek.

 

“Sounds good but I prefer throwing something together from your fridge.”

 

“There’s nothing worthwhile in there except beer, milk, juice - the basics.”

 

“Figures Mr. Big Shot. Italian…”

 

***

On the carpeted floor of his den they feasted on pasta along with breadsticks, drinking cold beer – great start to the evening. The silk outfit felt nice and fit her perfectly – too perfectly.

 

“I get it now.”

 

“Get what?”

 

“Am I that easy or are you that confident?”

 

Todd took a swig. “Have no idea what you’re talking about.”

 

“This getup...You must have bought it recently thinking I’ll end up at your place eventually.”

 

“I’ve always been a confident man,” he winked.

 

“Hmmm...” Evangeline bopped her head to the smooth sounds of Cole Porter playing in the background. “Jazz is your favorite type of musical genre?”

 

“Always has been.”

 

“We share that in common.”

 

He clinched a fist. “Finally we share a similar taste in something other than sex.”

 

“Yeah,” she smiled, wiping the sides of her mouth.

 

“Tell me about NYU and your plans.”

 

Evangeline fidgeted uncomfortably. This issue between them needed to be resolved one way or another. “NYU is challenging, stressful and takes away a lot of time from friends, family including yourself. On the other hand it’s exhilarating and in the end very rewarding because I would’ve realized my dream of becoming a lawyer.”

 

“Doubt that I can take up this challenge.”

 

“Why would anyone? Many times I’ll need to turn down your invitation or not return your call. The Todd Manning I know won’t take that supposed rejection lightly – showing up at my dorm room demanding my attention.”

 

“Come on Evangeline have some faith in me. I can accept that focusing on your education will be top priority.”

 

“Trust you?” she scoffed at the idea. “For pete’s sake we’re scarcely involved. My heart is not something you can play with. I’m not putting it out there to be hurt again.”

 

“Talking about me or some ghost from your past?” She refused to respond. Where were the words to counteract her negative connotation? “Wanting to be with you is also a risk for me.”

 

“It’s more of a risk for me,” she stressed, “Your ex-wife, daughter – too much all at once.”

 

“Part of me wishes that I’d met you sooner. Sure my life would’ve been different but my daughter...”

 

“Todd, please let’s stop talking about this. Why can’t things remain as they are – no promises, no emotional connection?” She covered his hands with hers. “We’re having so much fun.”

 

It became imperative that he convince her of agreeing to a relationship before she left for school.

 

“Because I want more than this,” he stared down at her hands and gently caressed them. “The best thing for my wellbeing may be to walk away from you but I can’t. I’m never a person that gives up easily. Evangeline it hurts that you don’t want to open up your heart to the possibility of us. We have more than sex in the hotel room, in the car, in that bathtub. I feel it inside of me and I know that you do too. Why come to me? Be with me if it weren’t so.” Evangeline averted her eyes. “Sweetheart look at me…say something.”

 

What could she say? A weary silence permeated the room. Their faces bore the signs of an emotionally draining discussion.

 

“Don’t want you to put your life on hold because of me. I’ll be so far away from you. Probably missing out on that special lady that may come your way because you’re waiting for what may never be.”

 

“I’m ready to take that chance.” He clasped her chin. “You are that special someone. You going away for three years is miniscule compared to all that I’ve endured in my life. I should be satisfied, contented with owning a newspaper, the penthouse, my riches. I have a wonderful relationship with my little girl but someone is missing.” 

 

Piercing blue eyes captured her soul. Sincere words coming from a sincere heart. Hard to remember the last time she experienced such a deep emotional connection with a man. “I feel so alive when I’m around you,” he said then gently kissed her. “Search your heart.”

 

Their foreheads linked she said, “Todd you’re right I’m really scared. I don’t know.”

 

“Feel my heart,” he said placing her hand on the side of his chest. “Baby I’m scared too. You’re a scary woman. Not only are you smart, beautiful but you can kick my ass too,” he chuckled. A small smile etched across her face then she embraced him. “So does this mean anything for us?”

 

“You’ve convinced me. I’m going to give us a chance. We’re officially a couple.”

 

“Woo Hoo!” He squeezed her tightly laughing. “Never worked so hard for anything in my life but it was worth it!” he kissed her again. “Stay with me tonight.”

 

“I’m up for cuddling in bed with my vanilla, chocolate swirl.”

 

Todd started laughing. “Is that my new nickname?”

 

“In bed…”

 

“I can accept that my ebony goddess,” he replied scooping her up in his arms. “From now on I’ll cherish every moment that we spend together.”

  

***

 

He dropped off Evangeline earlier that morning and got a head start to his day. Although bumping into RJ at the entrance of his building wasn’t part of the plan.

 

“You fucking bastard you did this!” RJ yelled throwing a bunch papers that scattered at his feet.

 

“Did what?” he responded coolly.

 

“Don’t play coy. My club has to be shut down for weeks because of some stupid code violations.”

 

“Not my problem. You have other financial resources. Move out of my fucking way. Unlike you I have work to do.”

 

RJ stepped aside. “You feel proud of yourself stealing Evangeline away from me!”

 

“Now we see the real reason why you’re here – to wallow in self pity over a woman who was never yours. Don’t get upset with me that you cracked under the pressure of having a beautiful, intelligent woman at your side. You treated her like one of your bimbos.”

 

“She’ll learn the hard way about life with Todd Manning. Bet she doesn’t know all of your demons.”

 

“Get off my fucking property. Next time you try to interfere with Evangeline…you’re dead.”

 

“I can hold my ground against you Manning”

 

“And I can fuck you up in so many ways so don’t fuck with me. Security! Get this filth out of here!”

 

***

 

“So you were able to make it to work on time.” He was talking to Evangeline while riding the elevator.

“Of course I’m a stickler for time.” 

“This can’t go on for long.”

“What does that mean?” 

 

“Evangeline you had me sick with worry yesterday.”

“Gotta go.” 

“First you told you’re going to be late. Then you didn’t show up at all. What’s going on?”

 

“Nothing…just wasn’t feeling stellar and decided to lie down. Sorry I forgot to call you.”

 

“If I knew I would have been there to keep up your spirits except for this damn case. Today you look alright which is good because we have a lot of work to do.”

 

“I’m ready, willing and able.”

 

***

 

“Humph she must have run into Nora.” He strolled happily to his office. “Good morning Sheila,” he said to his assistant.

 

“G-Good…Good Morning Mr. Manning.” Sheila adjusted her prescription glasses. The collar of his green shirt barely concealed the red distraction on his neck.

 

“Where’s Jessica?”

 

“I-I believe she went to the break room.”

 

 “Alright. How’s my schedule looking today?”

 

“Not real busy.” Sheila kept eyes focused on her planner. “Within the next hour you have a staff meeting. There’s also an appointment with Larry Turner this afternoon.”

 

“Good old Larry we have a lot to talk about. Other than Blair did I miss any important calls?”

 

“Terry from the Mayor’s Office called a number of times yesterday. Of course you weren’t here.”

 

That call had been expected. “I’ll tell you when to call them back. Please get me my morning brew.”

 

“Right away Mr. Manning.”

 

***

 

“Has my Uncle arrived as yet?”

 

“Yes and he’s in a pretty good mood. Compared to the days prior something has changed. Maybe it has to do with that mark on his neck.”

 

Jessica gave her a look. “Sheila, what are you talking about?”

 

“You’ll see for yourself. Your Uncle has never been shy about anything.”

 

“Not in his makeup,” she said walking towards Todd’s office door. She had to unravel this new mystery.

 

***

 

“Good Morning. How was your day off?”

 

“Splendid.” When his head rose from the screen she saw the “distraction”.

 

“Have you gotten back with Blair?!” she exploded.

 

“Wait a minute.”

 

“Someone gave you that mark on your neck,” she remarked in an accusatory tone.

 

“Well that someone isn’t the Blair Witch Project. Calm down.”

 

“Oh,” she said unsure taking a seat. “It’s obvious what you’ve been up to during your day off. Who is it? Have I met her?”

 

“In due course...”

 

She gave him a hi-five. “Way to go Uncle Todd! I’m happy for you. In fact I’m happy for all of us. By the way Blair has a doctor’s appointment at 1:00 so she’ll be dropping Starr off around elevenish. Better cover up that love bite.”

 

“She’s not the boss of me. Doing no such thing…” His eyes returned to the screen.

 

“Guess we should all stay tuned.”

 

***

11:00 a.m. 

 

“We’re still on for lunch?”

“Sure but I’m bringing Starr along seems Blair has this doctor’s appointment.” 

A second meeting with Starr but this time as her potential step-daughter – a tension went through her body.

“It won’t be a problem?” 

“Of course it’s not a problem,” she laughed it off.

“Great. If I can’t make it then I’ll call you.” 

“Sure bye baby.”

“Bye beautiful.” 

That uneasy feeling remained. So many things may go wrong – Starr seeing her as an obstacle to her parents’ potential reunion and hating her because of it. Little girls are very protective of their fathers especially those who don’t spend a lot of time with them. What have I gotten myself into? Can I really do this? 

***

 

“Late as usual.”

 

“Hi daddy!”

 

Smack He lifted her into his arms. “Hi my little princess.”

 

Her eyes wandered to the side of his neck. “Daddy what happened to your neck?”

 

Blair’s eyes narrowed in disgust. “Todd, tell your daughter what happened,” she scowled.

 

“This has happened to your mommy before. She can tell you all about it.”

 

“Mommy?”

 

Bastard…she mouthed at Todd who smiled wickedly. Blair cleared her throat and quickly said, “Your father got bitten by a big spider.”

 

“Does it hurt?”

 

“Only in the beginning but it’s alright now. It was a cute black spider wearing high heels.”

 

Starr giggled. “You’re funny daddy.”

 

“You don’t believe you father,” he tickled her.

 

“No!” She squealed.

 

“You and your lady friend can have fun for now,” Blair interjected.

 

“Tell your mommy lighten up.”

 

“Lighten up mommy.”

 

The unshed tears in Blair’s eyes made him pause.

 

“Starr…”

 

“You and mommy want to talk.”

 

“Smart girl. Go wait outside by Sheila.”

 

“Ok.”

 

***

 

He leaned against the edge of his desk watching as she paced the floor for a little bit then shook out her loose strands. In the past Blair’s emotional rollercoaster would have him on edge but he was definitely over it.  

 

“Using your new girlfriend to get back at me,” she sniffed.

 

“Humph…” He recalled Evangeline implying that exact statement. “Sorry toots but I’m far removed from our childish games. I wasn’t aware that you were stopping by until Jessica told me.”

 

“Does this new girlfriend of yours know about me or our daughter?”

 

“Yeah. What’s your point? I’ve moved on with my life and I suggest you do the same.”

 

“How can I move on when I’m still in love with you Todd,” she cried.

 

Abruptly he stood. “Quit boohooing!” He yelled contemptuously. “Without you my life has changed for the better. There are no romantic feelings between us. For better or worse Starr is the only thing that binds us together.”

 

“And Starr will bring her family back together.”

 

“I’m warning you Blair don’t interfere in my personal life.”

 

“Eventually you’ll scare her away and I’ll be right here waiting to pick up the pieces.” A self-assured Blair walked to the door.

 

“You’re fucking clueless!”

 

“No your girlfriend is.” She opened the door and walked out.

 

“Shit!” He needed to do something about Blair or she might ruin his chance at happiness.

Chapter 8 by chocolate470

Through no real fault of hers Evangeline kept Todd waiting an extra thirty minutes. The missed day cost her in terms of work accumulating on the top of her desk. The world doesn’t stop for lovers at play. An apologetic Evangeline slid into the car seat, brushing her lips against his. “Sorry I kept you waiting.”

 

“No problem,” he responded dryly.

 

So he’s in a foul mood. She turned slightly depositing her purse on the back seat only to find that a certain little girl wasn’t present. “Where’s Starr? I thought you said…”

 

Todd’s hands gripped the steering wheel and looked at her. “I thought so too. Blair and I had a discussion.”

 

“About that thing on your neck,” she quickly inferred, “Should have been more considerate about your daughter.”

 

“Hey their visit was unexpected. We were both caught up in the heat of the moment.” He reached out stroking the side of her face. “No one is to blame.”

 

“So what did she do?”

 

“She left and took Starr along with her. Thought I would have some time with my daughter before the weekend but I guess not.”

 

“I can see how much you love your daughter. Have things always been this way?”

 

“Pretty much – either she uses Starr to get me back or to get back at me. I hate what its doing to me but I especially hate what its doing to Starr.” Evangeline became silent – not her place to offer advice on this situation. It didn’t sit well that his problems with Blair were invading a conversation between him and his girlfriend. He’ll try his best not to make it a habit. “Think we better get going.”

 

“Sure. Hope we’re not making a detour to your place.”

 

“Don’t you want to console your man? There is…one way.”

 

The mischievous glint in his eyes mingled with his soft tone drove her wild. “Our little rendezvous yesterday put me way behind in my work.”

 

“Doesn’t Nora have other legal assistants?”

 

“As you are well aware, I’m the best baby,” she prided herself then laughed.

 

Todd laughed as well and said, “There’s a simple solution – come work for me. Rest assured I’ll give you all the time off you need.”

 

“A tempting offer but it won’t prepare me for NYU.”

 

NYU – the elephant in the relationship that grew larger each passing day. He perceived a way of spending more quality time with her.

 

“Maybe lunch at Lane’s will ease this rejection.”

 

Lane’s another exclusive eatery. “Lane’s huh…you’re spoiling me.”

 “You deserved to be spoiled.” And to be loved 

***

 

An irritated Blair coupled with a disappointed Starr sauntered into Dorian’s lavish dining room.

 

Dorian’s eyes rose from her bowl of soup asking, “What happened to your appointment?”

 

“Todd – who else!”

 

“Auntie Dorian, daddy had a spider bite on his neck.” Starr eagerly demonstrated on which side it was.

 

“What in the world are you talking about?” Dorian chuckled.

 

“I asked daddy what it was and he said to ask mommy because she knew about it. Mommy said that a spider bite daddy.”

 

Dorian contorted her facial features attempting to visualize the scene.

 

“Starr, go up to your room and take out your coloring book.”

 

“But mommy why can’t I stay and color downstairs with you and Auntie Dorian?”

 

“Because your Aunt Dorian and I are going to talk grown up stuff,” she argued. “Now scoot.”

 

“Daddy is more fun!” She stomped out of the room.

 

“Because he doesn’t have to deal with you everyday!”

 

***

 

Blair massaged her temples saying, “Everyday she acts more and more like Todd.”

 

“She’s upset for a reason.”

 

“She’ll spend time with Todd over the weekend. It’s not like I’m forever keeping them apart.”

 

“I can ask Estella to bring you a bowl of soup.”

 

“No thanks… we had a quick bite before coming,” she replied in a depressed tone.

 

“Why do you allow Todd to affect your attitude like this?”

 

“He’s got a girlfriend!”

 

Dorian began laughing. “The spider bite made you figure it out.”

 

“It’s not funny. At the moment it was the best explanation I could come up with. Todd put me in an awkward spot.” She couldn’t ignore Dorian’s snickering. “Please stop laughing. I’m having a crisis.”

 

“When it comes to Todd you always have a “crisis”. So what if Todd has a girlfriend. You should follow his lead and get a boyfriend.”

 

“And be like you going from relationship to relationship.”

 

“Don’t knock me because I want to have some fun. Life is too short. Maybe Starr is right about you after all…Ms. Boring.”

 

“Todd and I work well together.”

 

“In the bedroom or when the both of you are planning some sort of revenge.”

 

She flashed her a glance. “You’re not being helpful.”

 

“Your latest blunder certainly changed his opinion about you and the marriage.”

 

“Todd wasn’t blameless in our failed marriage!”

 

“But he’s shouting I didn’t do it!”

 

“ENOUGH!” She pounded the table. “You should be on my side.”

 

“Darling I am on your side but if you can’t stay faithful to Todd something must be wrong. He’s not the right guy for you.”

 

“You should be the last person talking to me about “faithfulness.” Blair stood up abruptly and left the room.

 

Dorian returned to sipping her soup - just another squabble with Blair. “Damn my soup is cold. Estella!”

 

***

 

“Behave I need to get back,” she breathed.

 

Todd’s lips were sucking the side of her neck while his hand stroked up and down her thigh resulting in a moist center. Whoever invented the pantyliner and feminine wipes deserved a medal.

 

“I’m still hungry. Tonight is too far away.”

 

During lunch Evangeline sprung the bad news that she was going to be working late. She didn’t know how late but promised to call him.

 

“If you want me to get off work sooner...”

 

“Alright – I’ll let you go. First…” a lingering kiss from her one and only... “I needed one for the road.”

 

Evangeline fanned herself. “I’ll remember that one all afternoon.”

 

***

Later on… 

Bang…Bang…Bang 

On the way to her office Jessica overheard a noise coming from the copy room.

Bang 

“Work you stupid machine!”

 

“It’s not the machine’s fault that you don’t know how to use it.”

 

“Raise the cover. Put the paper on the glass. Close the cover. Press start. I’ve got things covered.”

 

“Unless there’s a noticeable paper jam sign flashing on the screen…” Todd smirked. “Why didn’t you just give this job to Mason?”

 

“Because I couldn’t find the little creep and I need to get this copied.”

 

“Oh so you’re worried about work.”

 

“Don’t start.”

 

Planning ways of removing Blair totally from his life dominated his afternoon thoughts but it was unrealistic. Blair expertly used Starr to tolerate her presence. And Vicki – he couldn’t explain how she garnered her support in all of this but it seems that his sister fell under the spell of her forced tears.

  

“Mr. Manning? I heard you were looking for me.” A freckled-face teenager stepped into the room.

 

“Yeah!”

 

Jessica placed a hand on Todd’s shoulder. “The machine has a paper jam and Mr. Manning wants this document copied right away.”

 

“Right away Mr. Manning.”

 

After walking outside Todd grumbled, “Jessica I don’t like you usurping my authority,”

 

“I stopped you from yelling at Mason for nothing. You and girlfriend fighting already?”

 

“No. I’m expecting a visit from Vicki.”

 

“Well here she comes. Good luck,” she whispered. “Hi Mom,” she said as she hustled away.

 

Todd really wasn’t in the mood – Vicki intruding into his personal life again at Blair’s behest. “I guess Blair got to you.”

 

Vicki cocked her head back rolling her eyes in the process. “This has nothing to do with Blair. How could you do that to Starr?” She pointed directly at the hickey.

 

“Vicki what did I do wrong?” He walked into his office with Vicki trailing behind, closing the door.

 

“At least have the decency to cover it up.”

 

Vicki’s posturing moment – brow furrowed, lips stern, a hand on her hip.

 

“Decency? Your word or hers because…”

 

“Be serious!”

 

“Believe me I am being serious. First off I didn’t know they were stopping by today. Blair always does this and as usual I end up looking like the bad guy in your eyes.”

 

“Fine if you want to show everyone that you’ve moved on but remember you are a father first.”

 

“Blair should have thought about her motherly and wifely duties when she opened up her legs for that creep!” Vicki sighed, closing then opening her eyes. “You should have told her that instead of marching over her and attacking my responsibility as a father! I love my daughter and I take good care of her including forking over outrageous alimony payments to her mother. Have a good day Vicki. We’re done here!”

 

***

 

He drank more than one cup of water trying to resist the idea of calling Evangeline – to hear her voice.

 

“Hey beautiful.”

 

“Hey sexy I’m reporting progress.” Hearing her voice did his soul good.

 

“Cool. Then I won’t need to show up at Nora’s office.”

“If you do that then I’ll kick your ass.” 

“Let’s make love not war.”

 

“You would tell me if something is bothering you.” She sensed something wasn’t right with him.

 

“Baby I wanted to hear your sweet voice in my ear.”

 

“I have this feeling that you called for another reason.”

 

He sensed her concern as a sign of their deep connection. “Tell your feelings to chill.”

“Then tell me everything is alright,” her voice pleaded. 

“Sweetness everything is A-ok.”

“I’ll take your word for it.” Not really. “Work is calling.” 

“Bye baby.”

 

***

 

Evening rolled in and her trepidations settled. That strange sensation of Todd being under some type of stress came out of nowhere and it rattled her a bit. But maybe the workload and wanting to go out with Todd on a Friday night brought it on.

 

“I should be out with my man not cooped up in this office...Ugh.”

 

Despite her early progress work slowed – research needed to be carried out accurately and meticulously. Her thoughtful beau sent her dinner consisting of teriyaki chicken and chocolate mouse for dessert. He called ensuring she received her meal and checking that everything was alright. These small gestures created a belief of a lasting relationship. So many things to learn – likes and dislikes, good and bad habits, sifting through his multifaceted personality. Being around Todd became equivalent to having a wonderful picnic on a cool summer afternoon – you never wanted that day to end yet on the other hand it also felt like a train speeding down the tracks - conflicting qualities that worked for him.

 

***

 

The evening dragged on and time’s importance was lost. Fellow colleagues trickled out of the office until she and Nora were alone with the glare from their computer screens and legal papers spread out on the desks. She wearily rubbed her tired eyes stretching her arms overhead. What time is it? Her eyes searched for the office clock. “Damnit! 10:00 p.m.!”  She called Todd.

 

                                                                     ***

 

She knocked softly at Nora’s partially opened office door. “Nora I’m calling it a night.”

 

Nora peeked from underneath her stodgy spectacles. “You’re finished?”

 

“Not really. There are still a few areas left to be covered but I’m too tired to function at my best.”

 

“Then let me give you a ride home,” she offered.

 

“Thanks but a friend of mine is coming to get me.”

 

“Who is this friend?”   

 

She debated telling Nora. He is the man I want to be with. I shouldn’t be ashamed of him.

 

She cleared her throat. “Todd is coming for me.”

 

Nora took off her glasses and tossed them aside. “As in Todd Manning?”

 

“He’s my boyfriend.”

 

Nora stood and pounded a fist on the desk. “Evangeline no…no…no…NO! You’ve just ended a relationship and now you’re starting a new one with Todd Manning!”

 

“Nora whatever lecture, discussion, advice or outrage that you against Todd and I being together can wait for another day. Good night,” She ended softly then slowly walked away.

 

“At what cost Evangeline!” She heard Nora yell after her.

 

Following a brisk walk to the building’s entrance Evangeline stood solemnly on the top stair awaiting Todd’s arrival. A full moon seemed to be drifting across the sky. The city lights dulled the few stars that were visible.

 

“Nora will never understand why being with you feels so right.”

 

***

 

Evangeline barely uttered a sentence on the drive home. Work must have really bogged her down and affected her mentally.

 

“Tell me about it.”

 

“I told Nora about us,” she revealed keeping her eyes focused ahead.

 

Now her mood really concerned him. “What did she say?”

 

“Nothing much…I didn’t give her the chance. But Nora is my friend and she wants the best for me.”

 

“She’ll probably tell you that I’m the rottenest in the bunch.”

 

“Well I’ve tasted the fruit and found him exquisite.”

 

The corners of his lips curved upward. “Nora isn’t going to let you get off so easily.”

 

“So…” She turned towards him with a smile stroking the back of his neck. “You’ve become a very important part of my life.”

 

Todd inhaled savoring the sensation of her fingers – Love absolutely wonderful when it’s new – difficult when outsiders intrude on the developing relationship.  “I feel the same way about you. There’ll be many who don’t want us to be.”

 

“I care about us and the success of this relationship.”

 

He hoped she meant those words because he couldn’t imagine his life without her. She eased over to his driver’s side resting her head on his shoulder.

 

They went over to her apartment to pack a small bag…she’ll be spending the night and morning at his penthouse.

 

***

 

After a refreshing shower it was off to his candlelit bedroom where they dressed for bed.

 

A cool breeze circulated the room and the glare of city lights streamed through the window. No music or tv just the two of them snuggled up together.

 

“Sorry for being a bad girlfriend tonight.” Referring to their lack of intimacy but he understood.

 

“It’s not a requirement every night but I’m sure I’ll be a happy man when morning comes,” he smiled kissing her. “You are going to stay tomorrow? I would love for you and Starr to meet and get to know one another.” He smoothed out her tresses while Evangeline furrowed her brow. “Baby you shouldn’t be against meeting Starr.”

 

“I’m the other woman…taking away dreams of her family getting back together – taking over her father’s affections.”

 

“I’m the one giving it away freely,” he teased.

 

Evangeline moved her head from side to side. “You keep rushing things. What if she hates me?”

 

“She won’t hate you. Baby I’m not asking you to be her mother.” He linked their foreheads. His minty breath covered her face then his lips met hers in a passionate kiss. “I fear time is running out.”

 

“When I go to New York it’s going to be very hard on the both of us.”

 

“Yeah but I look at it this way – three years is a small price to pay for a lifelong commitment – a true test for our relationship but I believe in the end we’ll succeed.”

 

“I adore your positive thinking. Truthfully I still have some underlying doubts. Part of me wishes you didn’t have this other life. That we’ll go together to New York – rent an apartment in the area…I go to school while you operate another newspaper. It sounds very selfish.”

 

“Better watch it Ms. Williamson you’re crossing over to the dark side.”

“Shut up Manning,” she swatted him with a pillow. Todd laughed lifting his arms in defense. She surprised him when she laid her head on his chest and began singing, “When I was young I never needed anyone and making love was just for fun. Those days are gone.” 

The sweet resonance of her voice and the meaning behind the words of the song captured his soul. “You are amazing,” he whispered caressing her back. Soon she had fallen asleep.

 

***

The next morning… 

 

Evangeline did indeed make Todd a very happy man that morning including preparing a nice breakfast of eggs, bacon and toast.

 

They relaxed on the living room sofa with Evangeline resting comfortably against his torso flipping through the special sports issue of a GQ magazine.

 

“Find any interesting articles?”

 

“Quite a few…” Todd snatched it away. “Todd!”

 

“I’m more interesting and better looking than these brainless jocks.”

 

“It’s not like there’s something else to read,” she pouted, “Give it back.”

 

“You weren’t reading – you were admiring the landscape.”

 

Evangeline started laughing. “Todd you’re jealous.”

 

“How could I be jealous of airbrushed pictures?” Todd pulled her into a sweet kiss. “Besides I know you love my body.”

 

“You’re a sexy beast. One of these nights you need to perform for me so I can show you how much I appreciate …hmmm.” The sound of the door bell interrupted their kiss.

 

***

 

“Good Morn…Oh I see you have company.” Blair scooped the dark beauty from head to toe – young, attractive, bimbo.

 

Evangeline and Starr’s eyes connected and there was an instant recognition. Starr looked adorable dressed in her pink outfit complete with a Barbie backpack. She watched as father and daughter warmly embraced.

 

“Your new girlfriend I suppose,” she hissed.

 

“In every way...”

 

Ignoring Todd’s comment she turned her attention to Evangeline “Haven’t we met before?”

 

“We’ve seen each other in passing,” Evangeline responded coolly.

 

“Blair you can leave now.”

 

“No I would love to have a chat with...what’s your name?”

 

“Evangeline.”

 

“I’m asking you nicely. Please leave,” he gritted his teeth.

 

She touched his arm. “Todd’s its ok. I can handle this.” Blair folded her arms displaying a menacing look. “Take Starr away from this drama.”

 

“Sweetheart you don’t need to talk with her. I’m making sure that this is the last time she bothers us.”

 

“Your ex-wife believes she can scare me off. I’ll show her that I don’t scare easily. We’re just going to talk things over…right Blair.”

 

“Right,” she agreed condescendingly. “Goodbye baby.” But Starr didn’t respond.

 

Todd kissed her cheek. The small moment nauseated Blair.   

 

***

 

“Quite a nice gesture you left on my ex-husband’s neck.”

 

“By far my best artistry on a man and Todd enjoyed it very much among other things.”

 

Bitch. “Look Evangheline Todd and I have a long history together. There isn’t anything or anyone that can separate us for too long. Enjoy the ride because it won’t last.” She flipped her blonde locks to the back of her shoulders.

 

Evangeline chuckled to herself.  “Ancient history. Todd and I are creating new and lasting memories. He wants to forget about you and all the pain you’ve caused him over the years.”

 

Blair’s face grew bright red and she pointed an accusatory finger. “Don’t talk what you don’t know,” she said in a deep tone.

 

“I know he wants you gone from his life. You are like milk that goes bad. You have to throw it away or it will poison your whole system.” Evangeline grabbed the hand that was about to strike her. “This is not the place! Think about your daughter upstairs. Oh I forgot you only think about yourself.”

 

“Shut Up Bitch!”

 

Todd scurried down the stairs in time to put a halt to the fray.

 

“Thought you said you were only talking things over.”

 

“She tried to hit me.”

 

“Your girlfriend has a filthy mouth!”

 

“Look who’s talking. If you laid a finger on her I wouldn’t be responsible for my actions.”

 

“Being the mother of your daughter doesn’t count for much anymore.”

 

***

 

Evangeline escaped from the drama heading upstairs to Starr’s bedroom. The room was far enough away from the noise of any drama going on downstairs. She found her sitting around her small table drawing a picture.

 

“Starr, are you alright?”

 

“Thanks for helping me.”

 

“You’re welcome.” Evangeline stooped down next to her. “What are you doing?”

 

“Drawing a picture of me and daddy playing in the park...” Evangeline could make out the sun, the trees and now she was drawing Todd.

 

“It looks very beautiful.”

 

“Would you like to draw too?”

 

“Sure.”

 

***

 

“Starr should spend time with her father…not her father and his girlfriend. Why do you continue to punish me?”

 

“Its not about you – It’s about me. Stop using my sister and Starr to get to me because I don’t want you.”

 

“Todd, please. You don’t mean…” He grabbed both her arms. “Todd I have something to tell you.” He opened the door. “Todd I- I might be pregnant.”

 

Todd smiled. “Got to hand it to you Blair you’ve pulled a lot of shit in the past but this is a doozy.”

 

“I’m telling you the truth!”

 

“There’s no fucking way you’re carrying any child of mine again,” he whispered harshly then pushed her outside, “Fucking Desperate!” The door slammed in her face.

 

The few times they slept together after the divorce he made sure to use a condom unless…HELL NO! He briefly paused. She did say might which means she isn’t sure. Even if she is pregnant 100% guaranteed that he isn’t the father. Fucking Blair! She always finds a way to mess up his life. Then a horrible thought crossed his mind. He picked up the phone and called security downstairs.

 

“Have my ex-wife arrested for assault and refusing to leave the premises….She’s pounding on my door as we speak.”

Chapter 9 by chocolate470

“TODD! TODD!”

 

She finally decided to give up her fixation with getting Todd to reopen the door – yelling, pounding and kicking failed miserably.

 

She had expected a better reaction from Todd. During the past three days she was feeling under the weather hence the reason for her scheduled doctor’s appointment. In the past her pregnancy had changed his heart towards her. She had to be pregnant. She needed to be pregnant. That witch Evangeline cast a spell over her Todd that had to be broken.

 

“Evangeline...” She clinched her fists.

  

“Ma’am, get up.”

 

It surprised her to see two of Llanview’s finest, a male and female officer. She slowly rose to her stocking feet – the black high heels rested on their sides at the edge of Todd’s front door.

 

“Officers, what are you doing here?”  She pretended like they hadn’t come across a disturbing scene. She swept back her hair, brushed off her suit and collected her shoes.

 

The female officer replied,” Ma’am we’ve received a call from the downstairs security regarding a domestic dispute and someone failing to leave the premises.” Both officers scanned her frazzled appearance.

 

“This is a huge misunderstanding,” she countered, “Yes, my ex-husband and I did have a minor disagreement but nothing to warrant me getting arrested. There’s no reason for police involvement.”

 

“We’ll be the judge of that ma’am,” the male officer responded. He knocked at the door while the female officer kept careful watch on Blair.

  

“Officer you’re finally here…” Todd said appearing to be very relieved. “Have you arrested my ex-wife as yet?”

 

“Your name sir…”

 

“Todd Manning and my ex-wife’s name is Blair Cramer.”

 

“We’re still assessing the situation.”

 

“Todd, I can’t believe you’re doing this?” Blair yelled in the background.

 

“Assessing the situation? I told her to leave so many times and she has refused. When my girlfriend attempted to talk with her she tried to assault her.”

 

“Todd Stop Lying!” Blair managed to rush to the front door but the male officer blocked her from stepping inside until the female officer came to assist.

 

“Ma’am you need to calm down.”

 

“Officer this is what I’ve been dealing with! Look at my door!”

 

“Look at my arms you bastard!”

 

“She had to be restrained just to get her out of my house! Arrest her now for harassment and damage to property.”

 

The male officer wrote down his final notes on the police report. “Officer Roland, arrest her.”

 

Blair stared at Todd in disbelief while Officer Roland placed her in plastic handcuffs. “That Witch put you up to this but she’s going to get hers in the end!”

 

“Officer I’m suggesting that my ex-wife get a psychological examination as soon as possible.” Officer Mallard nodded his head.

 

***

Meanwhile… 

 

Evangeline’s divided her mind between two places – upstairs drawing rainbows with Starr and downstairs wondering what the hell was going on with Todd and Blair.

 

“What’s your name?” Starr asked casually.

 

“My name is Evangeline Williamson”

 

“That’s a long name.”

 

“But you can call me Evangeline.”

 

She replied, “Evangeline you can call me Starr,” with a bright smile.

 

***

Downstairs… 

 

Todd had one of his many internal connections on the cell phone doling out instructions.

“I’m telling you to fucking do it! You owe me big time! ...Her rights what about my right to some peace for a couple of days. …FUCK YOU!” He tossed the phone aside and took a moment to breathe. But no need to get too upset he had ways of dealing with dissenters. As for Blair – Nah …if she was really pregnant she’d be waving the results like a victory flag. The announcement made to disrupt his new relationship. But you’re too late Blair Evangeline has become my heart and soul. 

***

 user posted image

 

 

“I wonder why your daddy is taking so long.”

 

“Talking to mommy,” Starr said without blinking.

  

Speak of the devil and he appears remarkably composed.

 

“What have my two beautiful ladies been up to while I was distracted?”

 

“Drawing pictures...” “Coloring...”

 

“Look what I’ve got.”

 

“Oreo cookies and milk!” Starr yelled.

 

“This early Todd,” Evangeline questioned.

 

“A special treat… there’s enough cookies to go around.”

 

“Hmm…yum...yummie.” Starr feasted.

 

Evangeline sampled an Oreo and asked, “Everything cool?”

 

“As cool as a cucumber.”  He lifted Starr up to his lap and sat down.  “What a beautiful picture.”

 

Starr beamed. “It’s you and me in the park.”

 

“Yep it’s me alright with that yellow hair and those blue eyes – looking good in my green shirt and jeans holding my princess’ hand.” Suddenly Starr whispered in Todd’s ears which made him laugh and gaze at Evangeline.

 

“What?”

 

“Let’s see your drawing.”

 

“It’s a castle with a rainbow and a beautiful little princess in the tower.”

 

“Beautiful as well… I’m blessed with talented women,” he smiled at Evangeline and she smiled back.

  

“Do you like my daddy a lot?”

 

Evangeline almost choked. Ahem “Yes.” Trading verbal jabs with Blair was much easier than a four year old inquisitiveness.

 

“Daddy likes you a whole lot too.” Todd winked at her.

 

“How do you know?”

 

“When he looks at you he has a big smile on his face.” Evangeline smiled sheepishly. “And so do you.”

 

“You’re evil Todd,” she said softly.

 

“I wondered how I could get the totally in control Evangeline to squirm in her seat.”

 

“Daddy is she coming with us?”

 

“What are you talking about?” Evangeline was curious as well.

 

“You forgot,” Starr said disappointed, “We always go to the lake house.”

 

“Oh yes the lake house.” Todd explained, “Starr and I usually go to this house I own by Beaver’s lake on alternate weekends.”

 

“My friends Sandy and Jake live there. Can we still go daddy…please…pretty please.”

 

“Of course we’re going,” he said kissing her cheek, “I can’t let down my princess.”

 

“Can…Evangeline come?”

 

Evangeline mouthed no way but Todd said, “Sure she can.”

 

When did Todd ever take no for an answer? Instead of protesting she casually extended the palm of her left hand.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Keys to whatever ride you’re going to lend me.”

 

“Why?” he asked pushing a hand inside his pocket.

 

“I need to go home and pack a weekend bag.”

 

“Let’s see I have keys to my brand new convertible. It’s not too much for you handle?” he cocked his head and asked slyly.

 

“Piece of cake,” she reassured, “Hey I can help with the shopping so…” He went into his wallet and gave her a platinum Visa card.

 

“You can do whatever you want with it. Buy something special for the both of us.” Evangeline stood idly by. “Starr, close your eyes.” She did as instructed. It was safe to give her that goodbye kiss. Holding her hand he said, “Don’t take too long or I’ll come looking for you.”

 

“I won’t.” He admired her swaying hips leaving him behind.

 

“Daddy can I open my eyes now?”

 

“Yes baby.”

 

***

 

“Hasn’t my lawyer posted bail as yet?” Blair asked irritated from behind the bars of her holding cell.

 

“Blair, relax.”

 

Bo knew how she could be and hoped his presence would keep her calm for the most part.

 

“Bo I shouldn’t be in here.”

 

“And I shouldn’t be working on the weekend. You’re not the only one with a complaint. You were wrong Blair for behaving like a mad woman.”

 

“I was upset not crazy.”

 

“My officers said that Todd requested a psych examination and Officer Mallard was in total agreement. I know you’re not ‘crazy’ but if you really want Manning back then try another tactic because this one isn’t working well.”

 

***

 

It seemed the perfect time for the two of them to have a talk about his developing relationship with Evangeline.

 

“Starr you understand that your mommy and daddy aren’t going to be together anymore.”

 

“Yeah,” she replied shyly.

 

He didn’t know if she understood. “When mommy and daddy are together we are not happy. We make each other very sad.”

 

“I always want you to be happy daddy,” she replied with the sincerest look in her eyes.

 

Todd exhaled a short breath. “Evangeline really makes me happy.”

 

“I know daddy. She is very pretty and I like her a lot.”

 

Todd wrapped his arms around her saying, “I love you very much.”

 

“I love you too daddy.” She gave him a big smooch. “Time for our tea party…”

 

Oh no… Todd chuckled while Starr gathered the guests – Mr. Bear, Mrs. Rabbit and Little Cluckie. He wished she would stay this sweet and loving and not be greatly affected by her parent’s turmoil. Only a dream…Right now he’ll enjoy these few precious moments and her unconditional love.

 

***

 

She never really shopped for others before. She basically took care of her own needs. Although it only constituted a weekend getaway the feeling was new and wonderful. She adored Todd and his little girl and someday soon they might become a bigger part of her life…she smiled.

 

“Let me see I have chips, popcorn, soda, cookies.” She tried not to go overboard on the shopping. She also thought about preparing dinner and decided to head for the vegetable aisle.

 

Low and behold she came across her ex ‘shopping’ with two scantly-clad ladies – one on each arm…always the pimp at heart. Turn around…hell no. He was free to do whatever he wanted and so was she. While watching her steady approach RJ dismissed the two eye-candies and waited.

 

“RJ I don’t have the time or the energy to deal with you.”

 

“Can’t an ex say hi and ask how you’re doing,” he commented rubbing his hands together, smiling. “Still look amazing. I’m broken up over the way things ended between us.” 

 

“You seem to have gotten over it pretty quickly. I’m sure those skin blankets keep you warm on cold evenings.”

 

The comment tickled him a little. “Those are my assistants. They’re helping me shop for…supplies. Looks like you’re doing some shopping as well…going away this weekend?”

 

“None of your damn business,” she seethed, “I don’t have to explain my actions to you.”

 

“Alright Evangeline you win. I was wrong for the way I treated you but Todd isn’t a better option.”

 

“Time for us to end this cordial visit...”

 

“I’m not here to argue with you baby but I do have a message for white boy. Tell him to keep his nose out of my business.”

 

Add RJ to the growing list of haters. Imagine him throwing out a statement like that and expecting a reaction. She wasn’t about to give him the satisfaction.

 

“RJ I’m not your fucking messenger.”

 

“True…true but you were something else…once.” He moved beside her. “Have you missed me lately baby?”

 

Evangeline sighed. “Hardly… Todd knows his way around every part of me.” RJ smirked dismissive of her comment. “You should be taking some lessons from ‘white boy’.”

 

“There’s nothing Manning can teach me that I don’t already know.”

 

“Todd understands how to satisfy a woman in ways you haven’t learnt. By the way he’s got it going on for a ‘white boy’.”

 

“So it’s you and Manning together forever.”

 

“Goodbye RJ, have a nice life but don’t interfere in mine’s ever again. I know Todd has already warned you about doing that.”

  

***

 

After storing away her groceries in the trunk of the car she checked the black convertible for any surface dings or scratches. Yeah RJ’s skanks would do just that; either to get back at her for merely speaking to their meal ticket or otherwise instructed. She didn’t believe RJ’s tale about ‘shopping for supplies’ …who would. When was the last time RJ shopped for anything? except maybe another female prize. Thankfully there were no scratches.

 

She buckled up breathing in the scent of the new car, gliding her fingers over the leather seating. Her mind needed to unwind. How did that commercial go? Goes from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds… She curled her fingers over the steering wheel. She knew an area where she could test out that idea.

  

***

 

Todd dialed Evangeline’s cell again and found it was still busy. He and Starr were packed and ready to go.

 

“We can’t leave without Evangeline.”

 

“I know short stuff. We are going to look for her.”

 

***

 

Evangeline stood in the Todd’s personal parking area; bags surrounding her feet, talking away on her phone.

 

“What do you mean you can’t do it that fast? You are my last hope I’ve been calling all over town and…What if I paid you double for the job. …What? It’s going to cost me how much to start with?”

  

“Evangeline I’ve been calling you.”

 

She clicked off her cell. “Todd!” she yelled then softened her voice. “I ran into a bit of trouble – my own fault.”

 

“What sort of trouble?” he cocked his eyebrows.

 

“I took the car for a quick spin and side swiped a guard rail. It was very very stupid of me which resulted in damage to your beautiful new car. Don’t worry I’ll pay for the repairs.”

 

He quickly took her into his arms. “Are you hurt?”

 

“A little shaken but I’m alright. You’re not upset?”

 

He gently kissed her cheek. “What’s a stupid car compared to your wellbeing? Next time I’ll buy you a nice compact,” he joked.

 

His meaning registered a little. “That’s my car?”

 

“Sweetheart, don’t look so shocked.”

 

Evangeline stepped away from him folding her arms, “I don’t want it.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“While I’m grateful, I’ll buy my own car when the time is right.”

 

Ms. Independent or maybe that experience with RJ’s ‘gift’ put a bad taste in her mouth about accepting these types of gifts from men. “Then consider it as a loan. When you go to New York I’ll get it back. Do we have an agreement Counselor?”

 

“Hmm…let me think.” Evangeline looked too cute thinking. Todd had to quell his rising manhood. “It’s a deal. Let’s shake on it.”

 

“No… let’s seal it with a kiss. Starr…”

 

“I’ll close my eyes daddy.” She peaked between her sprawled fingers.

 

“Since you are a strong, independent-minded woman, I’ll allow you to take care of the repair costs.”

 

“Can we come to another agreement?”

 

He smiled wickedly. “I’m all ears.”  

 

***

 

The lake house accommodated five bedrooms, 3 ½ baths and featured an upper level deck by the master bedroom. A husband and wife team kept the grounds and the house maintained but usually left when he visited unless he requested them to stay.

Todd and Starr went off to visit her friends leaving Evangeline alone to prepare dinner. So he isn’t perfect but who is. Ask her a month ago if she saw herself dating a white guy with an ex-wife and daughter – Are you out of your freaking mind? It showed life was full of unexpected surprises. Her run-ins with Blair, RJ and upcoming battle with Nora also warned of the gathering storm clouds. If it is meant to be then we’ll make it. 

***

 

“Mrs. Williamson, how are you doing?”

“Skip the pleasantries Nora. What’s going on with Evangeline?” 

“She’s making poor choices in her personal life that could affect her future.”

“So she’s not sticking to her bargain with me.” 

“I wouldn’t go that far. She’s not being wise and won’t listen to my advice.”

“Evangeline can be stubborn. I’ll book a flight to Llanview first thing tomorrow.” 

***

 

Todd stared at her after swallowing the final morsels of her beef and vegetable stir fry.

 

“Are you going to say something about my cooking?”

 

“I believe my clean plate says it all. And Starr begging for seconds – I’ve never seen her do that.”

 

Starr drank down her juice and said, “All done. Movie time…movie time…”

 

“First say thank you Evangeline for cooking us such a delicious meal.”

 

She climbed off her chair. “Thanks Evangeline,” she said giving her a hug.


“You’re welcome sweetheart.”

 

“Daddy and I are going to watch a movie...coming along?”

Something about her that draws you into her presence. 

“Sorry I’ve got kitchen duties but I’ll pop you guys some popcorn.”

 

“Evangeline I didn’t bring you here to be stuck in the kitchen,” Todd protested.

 

“I’ll come by in a minute alright.”

 

***

Evangeline hung around in the living room for a little while but soon excused herself complaining of being a little tired. Todd and Starr continued watching ‘Under the Sea’ before she fell asleep and he carried her off to bed. Later on… I wanna run to you.

I wanna run to you.
Won't you hold me in your arms
and keep me safe from harm
I wanna run to you,
but if I come to you
Tell me, will you stay?
or will you run away?

Whitney Houston belting out her hit song greeted him upon his entry into the master bedroom but where was his dark beauty. The unlocked sliding glass door revealed Evangeline dressed in black baby doll lingerie reclining against the terrace’s railing. Approaching from behind he unbuttoned his shirt.

“How’s Starr?”

 

“Asleep.” He eased his arms around her slender waist.

 

She took in a sharp breath when his fingers began stroking her covered mound.  “I guess you like what you see? I-I bought it especially for you…hmmm.” She felt his growing arousal pressing hard against her back.

 

“You know what I like,” his hot breath whispered on her cheek. The initial foreplay suddenly stopped and he turned her around. “Dance with me,” he said. Evangeline adapted to the sudden change encircling his neck with her arms.

 

They danced cheek to cheek under the starry lit sky with a gentle breeze blowing from across the lake.

 

He studied her countenance. “There’s so much I want to say to you,” he said in his deliberate tone. It seemed like his eyes were staring into her soul. “My love, will you allow me to say it?” She averted her gaze, closing her eyes sensing a deeper meaning behind his words. Todd you stupid fool. She’s not ready. “I-I didn’t mean to put you on the spot...sorry.”

 

Then she lifted her face and their eyes met once again. His eyes lingered questioning her quiet mood. That gorgeous smile put his heart at ease. As he brushed his lips on the tip of her nose she said, “You’re so damn impossible. Now I’m about to break one of my rules.” 

 

He sneaked a kiss and softly said, “Usually I’m the one breaking all the rules.”

“I can’t be…,” her voice trailed off. The simplest words are the hardest to say because once said you can never take back their implication.  

“You can’t be what sweetheart?” He asked with a wry smile yet his intense blues waited for her response – waiting for words he yearned to hear from the first time they kissed. “Baby…” His masculine scent, his warm breath on her face and the closeness of his body heighten her senses. “Say it…”

 

Say it…but did she really want to say it. Her accelerating pulse almost took her breath away. She took a deep breath to calm her emotions. “I’m…I’m falling… I’m in love with you.”

 

“Oh Baby. My heart... I love you so much,” he said without any hesitation in his voice. Their lips surrendered into a kiss that went on and on…and on…and on…

 

“Ohhh…let me catch my breath.”

 

The break didn’t last long because he lifted her to his waist and carried her off to the bedroom.

 

***

 

“OHHH! Ohhhh!” her only audible expressions with Todd’s mouth and tongue licking and sucking hard on her clitoris while his fingers squeezed her erect nipples. He took pride in being the one to give her the pleasure she craved. Any second now his mouth will be covered with her sweet perfume. The smell of it about to break free spurred him on, licking her faster. “Uh…uh…uh…” One hand running through his blonde locks while the other gripped the bed sheet tightly… Her hips bucked hard against his mouth. “Ahhhh,” she released.

 

“You’re always so delicious,” he said lapping of her juices.

 

He inched his way upwards until they came face to face where he softly kissed her. The weight of his rigid shaft rested on her stomach.  She moaned feeling the wetness from his precum. “I want to taste you,” she kissed him, “A small taste...”

 

“Only for a moment.” because it was dangling on the edge of no return. At the same time he positioned his shaft by her mouth, he reached over to grab the condom from the nightstand.

 

While she licked off the precum, her hands gently moved up and down its length. “Oh Baby you taste so good.”

 

“Hmmm…” Todd groaned, caressing behind her ear.  but this couldn’t go on…she had her taste but I need to be inside.  He moved away from her and slipped on the condom. Before she could utter another word his shaft penetrated.

 

“OH!” she cried. It felt amazing – like a key unlocking her hidden desires.

 

His mouth buried on her swollen lips; then her neck and finally feasted on her erect nipples. She spread her legs further apart urging him to go deeper clawing at his back with her fingernails.

 

“I’ll give you more my love,” he panted then began thrusting faster and deeper. He also angled his shaft in a way to give her greater pleasure.

 

“Oh Todd I love you,” she said through quickening breaths.

 

“I love you too…Shit!” Her sex wrapped tightly around his pulsating shaft and it moved faster and faster until…”AHHH!” “UHHH!”   

 

“Was it good for you?” he teased kissing her sweetly.

 

“The best...”

 

“You are the best.”

 

He eased out of her and disappeared into the bathroom.

 

He returned to an empty bed but knew where she might have gone. After retrieving his boxers he went to check on Starr.

 

***

 

He found her outside lying on the sofa dressed in a black cami and boy shorts; her long legs beckoning to be touched.

 

“May I join you?”

 

She stretched out a welcoming arm. “Of course you don’t need to ask.”

 

He sensed her lingering doubts – She sensed his fear of losing her.

 

He joined her positioning himself underneath while she relaxed against his bare chest.

 

“Honestly falling in love with you wasn’t part of my plans but you are certainly Mr. Persistent.”

 

“I get what I want,” he expressed with quiet confidence.

 

She quickly added, “You’re lucky I wanted you.”

 

“Please you couldn’t pass on the sexiness and charm.”

 

“You should add wiseass and cockiness to that list.”

 

“But you love it.”

 

“Lord knows I do love you,” she smiled.

 

“And I love everything about you. I love you so much and we will make it work my love. I won’t let anyone come between us.”

Maybe being in such a peaceful setting affected her perspective but she believed his words.  

Chapter 10 by chocolate470

Dorian periodically glanced at her niece sideways sighing through pursed lips. This situation between her and Todd bordered on insanity mainly because of Blair’s outrageous conduct. Following a quiet dinner she retreated to the confines of her bedroom. Dorian wasn’t about to let it go. She came upon a distressed Blair sitting beside her bed.

 

“Blair, what’s going on with you?” she asked standing by the doorway.

 

“What do you mean what’s going on?” She gazed upwards. “Todd had me arrested. The father of our daughter had me throw in jail. Now Ted is telling me about a court appearance for a restraining order. Well I’m not going.”

 

“Then Todd will get his restraining order.”

 

“Doesn’t matter… Todd will soften his approach once he finds out that I’m pregnant.”

 

Dorian’s mouth fell open. “Pregnant? Why is this the first time I’m hearing about this?” Blair stared at her indifferent. “Even if you are pregnant…”

 

“This baby will be Todd’s!” She announced.

 

Her new tactic became clear. “Blair, don’t trap Todd because it will backfire.”

 

“Dorian, please leave me alone.” She turned away.

 

“I’ll leave you alone but the worst thing to do is trap that man. Heed my warning.”

 

“I know what I’m doing.”

 

Blair employing the oldest trick in the book certainly wouldn’t fly with Todd. At this rate he’ll have her committed and take Starr away.

“Looks like your daughter is slowly coming to join you Addie.” 

***

Next morning… 

 

Evangeline lay asleep snuggling under the covers. No sense in waking sleeping beauty especially after their rocking evening and morning – boy was it rocking. A grin crisscrossed his lips just thinking about all the ways they were able to satisfy one another.

“I love taking control.” She guided his shaft into her moist center. Moist yet so tight – this beautiful dark beauty titillated his five senses. “Almost forgot what riding a horse felt like.” She bounced up and down while he gripped her ass. “Do you enjoy riding…uh…ah...this white stallion?” “You know I do my love,” she said nipping on his bottom lip. 

A small knock on his door interrupted his intimate thoughts. She stirred as he played with her delicate fingers.

 

“Todd,” she murmured her eyes heavy with slumber.

 

He leaned forward kissing her lightly. “Baby, go back to sleep.”

 

How could I have known you’d have my heart at a glance? The hard part is yet to come. One time he hoped his past wouldn’t derail his future.

Should have thought about it before now...You need to tell her the truth before Nora does. 

“Yes but not here. This place will always hold special memories.”

  

“Daddy!” Starr muffled voice yelled from outside.

 

 

Ah…the joys of fatherhood.

 

***

45 minutes later… 

“Ow…dad…you’re hurting me.” Todd attempted to brush her hair however it kept getting tangled between the bristles. “Stop!”

 

He exhaled and threw the brush at the corner of the bed. Not like Blair combed her hair either. As a father sometimes he stunk at the basics in any case he tried. Must be the wrong brush or the wrong shampoo. “Come let’s get you some breakfast.”

 

***

 

“Cereal and milk dad?” He noticed her calling him dad since that morning. “Sandy says her dad sometimes make them pancakes.”

 

“What else does Sandy’s dad do?” He asked inquisitive but paying attention to his bowl of cornflakes.

 

She immediately said, “A lot of stuff.”

 

“Like brush her hair.”

 

She slurped a small amount of cereal and replied, “Sometimes when her mom has a lot of work.”

 

“Well Sandy’s dad isn’t a cazillionaire who runs a newspaper like I am.”  And he certainly wasn’t competition in the looks department. Bill was out of shape, balding and in need of a good tan. Todd believed he overindulged his children as often as he could. “We’re going to enjoy eating our cereal and milk,” he replied a little irritated.

 

“Is Evangeline asleep?” She shifted as many of her loose strands behind her ears. They kept falling over when she tipped her head to eat – a great show of his failure.

 

“Yes,” he responded in mid-chew.

 

“Maybe when she wakes up she can help me comb my hair since you can’t.”

 

“You scream when I brushed your hair.”

 

“Because you brush it too hard,” she protested, “Sandy says a girl needs to brush her hair to make it glossy.”

 

He wondered if she understood the meaning of the word ‘glossy’. “Eat your cereal before it gets soggy. I’m thinking Sandy talks way too much and is having a bad influence on you. Perhaps I shouldn’t take you over there today.”

 

“Daddy, please take me. Today is the last day. I promise to be good and not say anything else.”

 

“Alright… no more Sandy says.”

 

“No more” she twisted her head back and forth.

 

***

Damnit her legs ached, getting out of the bed turned out to be a major hurdle. Were they going at it that hard? One...two...three…lift. Shit! Easy to spread your legs wide to enjoy that exquisite sensation but shit!  

“Ow – Ow…ow…ow…” Every little step felt a sharp knife sticking between her thighs. “White chocolate cannot touch me for a week until I recover,” she proclaimed.

 

After creeping to the bathroom she prepared her bath for what seemed like hours. Finally she was able to crawl into the tub. When the warm water settled over her body she breathed, “Hmmm…this feels so wonderful.” Then a funny thought entered her mind. “Todd bigger, badder than any other man she dated.”

 

And yet he was more. He imparted upon her the greatest gift - love. In his eyes she saw a future with limitless possibilities for the both of them.

Then why do you doubt his love for you. 

“I fear eventually it will be taken away from me. I wish I didn’t have this fear my love.”

 

***

“Trust in my love for you.” 

“Daddy?” The fingers of his right hand curled loosely around the spoon’s handle while his left hand balanced his clean shaven chin. “Daddy someone’s at the door. Daddy!”

 

Starr tugged at Todd’s sleeve until he responded, “Huh? What?”

 

“Someone’s knocking at the door.”

 

“Let’s see who it is,” he said grabbing a hold her hand.

  

The unwanted visitor proved to be Sandy’s ‘super dad’. What a coincidence. Bill gave him a warm greeting and Todd mumbled a good morning.

 

“The carnival is in town and my family and I were wondering if you and Starr would join us.”

 

“I’m not sure Bill. My girlfriend is here with me and we’ve already made plans so…” Spending the waning hours with Bill and his family definitely not in his plans for their last day at the lake – a boat ride seemed more appropriate.

 

“Girlfriend…,” he winked at Todd. Who does this guy think he is? They weren’t buddies.

 

“Daddy I want to go!” she briskly shook his arm. “I want to go on the rides and eat cotton candy and…”

 

“Starr, enough,” he warned.

 

“We’re leaving in about an hour or so… if you change your mind give me a holler. We can take care of Starr if you need some alone time,” he winked again.

 

“Thanks Bill,” he grimaced, “I’ll think about it,” he ended closing the door.

 

***

 

“Mom we shouldn’t be busting in on Evangeline,” Layla said, “She’s not a teenager that you want to catch red-handed doing something wrong.”

 

“You don’t have to come along if you don’t want to.”

 

Nora was kind enough to offer her spare bedroom and couch (if necessary) for their short stay. Uncle Clay was away on business therefore Layla was handed the task of supporting her mother.

 

“We should at least give her a call.” She tried all morning but Evangeline’s phone kept going to voice mail – typical when Vange disappeared for the weekend.

 

“That’ll give her an opportunity to make up excuses. According to Nora she’s involved with someone that’s very dangerous.”

 

“Nora could be wrong about this guy.”

 

“I don’t think so. Nora is a prosecutor and Evangeline’s best friend. She wouldn’t have called if she didn’t have concerns. Your sister should be concentrating on attending law school not involving herself with a thug. She has the potential of going far in her life.”

 

“Unlike her dimwitted baby sister I suppose,” Layla retorted. Long time ago she had strayed from her mom’s aspirations much to Lisa’s dismay.

 

Lisa paused in her packing to gaze at her. “Layla you know I don’t have that assessment about you.”

 

“I realized Evangeline has it just as hard as I do. Mom, stop interfering in Vange’s life. She has been a good daughter and lived up to your lofty expectations. It’s time for her to make her own decisions regarding her life.”

 

“Don’t speak to me in that manner young lady. Evangeline is my daughter and I know what’s best for her.”

 

***

“Daddy, please…” 

“I told you I’ll think about it.” 

Strolling down the stairs she heard Starr’s pleas and Todd’s exasperated tone. After her soothing bath she had regained the ability to walk freely although a slight dull ache remained – no trouble. Clad in designer skinny jeans with a stripped pink blouse, gold necklace around her neck, hair tied in a pony tail Evangeline appeared energized for the day.

 

“Good Morning everyone. What’s going on down here?”

 

“Baby.” Todd greeted her with a warm embrace and kiss. She looked like a model stepping off the runway “Hmmm,” he squeezed her. She smelled so good. “Did you sleep well?”

 

“Perfectly well…Starr is everything alright?” She asked easing out of the embrace. Besides the pouting her hair was a mess.

 

“Daddy doesn’t want to take me to the carnival.”

 

Evangeline didn’t fully understand. Todd began pleading his case filled with Starr wanting to hang out with the Mitchells instead of them, the problem of Starr not wanting to come home from the carnival which would ultimately create a scene and the last… their needing to go back to Llanview at a specific time. All lame excuses Evangeline surmised. He wanted just the three of them to spend time together.

 

“I see no problem in her going. Let’s have a vote to resolve this issue.”

 

“Does Starr have a vote?”

 

“She’s an integral part of this process. This weekend is about her.”

 

“Do I get to go daddy?” Starr asked enthused.

 

“Yeah,” he relented.

 

“Yes!” Starr yelled jumping in the air. “Thank you Evangeline,” she hugged her.

 

“Hey don’t I get a hug as well.”

 

“Of course daddy,” she said hugging and kissing him. “After breakfast can you brush my hair?”

 

“Certainly sweetheart...” Starr ran upstairs to get her brush. “Did you do that to her hair?”

 

“She complains I brush it too hard.”

 

“Well you can’t be perfect at everything,” she whispered drawing him close.

 

He cradled her face between his hands saying, “I’m perfect at making you happy.”

 

“So far so damn good.”

 

He teased her bottom lip sliding his tongue along the supple pink surface. “Everyday I’ll tell you how much I love you – how much joy you’ve brought to my life.”

 

“Everyday I’ll accept your love and…”

  

“I’ve got my brush!” Starr announced.

 

“That was quick. Talk about coming in at the wrong time.” Starr squealed as Todd hoisted her high into the air and they spun around. Evangeline both admired and envied the father and daughter bond between them.

 

***

 

For her breakfast Evangeline prepared chocolate waffles from scratch – hard to not ask for a sample with its marvelous scent invading their nostrils. Evangeline indulged their request. Todd and Starr relished partaking of a second breakfast.

 

“Excellent!” Todd gave her a strong thumb’s up.

 

“Mmhmm!” Starr added.

 

***

 

Satisfied with Evangeline’s excellent fare everyone strolled over to the spacious living room that had a great view of the lake.

 

“I love the way you brush my hair.”

 

“Feels good?”

 

“Ah Huh… Can you teach daddy?”

 

“I’ll try my best but you know your daddy,” she joked.

 

“What about me?” He asked switching on the television. No games on that early just Sunday political shows.

 

“Hard headed when it comes to these things...”

 

“I’ll leave that one alone before I get into more trouble.”

 

“Where’s your daddy Evangeline?”

 

“In heaven,” she said abruptly. “Sweetie how many braids do you want?”

 

“Two…”

 

After all these years the mere mention of her father was still a sore point.  

 

***

Later on… 

They barely finished eating lunch at the picnic table when Sandy came over calling for Starr to join her. She hastily took off and Evangeline halted Todd reeling her in.

 

“It was a bad idea bringing her here. When Starr’s with me she’s my responsibility.”

 

“But you can’t stop her from being a Manning. Going out – spreading her wings a little. She’s with friends in the company of caring adults.”

 

“Part of me wishes she’ll always be by my side. Stay this loving forever.”

 

She started massaging his tense shoulders which made him relax. “Already afraid of those upcoming teenage years?”

 

“Hardly, I’ve got the rules mapped out… no dating only homework.” He turned towards her. “Evangeline I can’t help thinking about your reaction when Starr asked you about your father.”

 

She hadn’t realized he’d paid attention. “Goodness Todd I still miss him a lot.”

 

“I sense he might have been a great father. You should be proud of talking about him with anyone.”

 

“It’s not that easy. Could we please talk about something else?”

 

“We need to start sharing more about ourselves. Case in point – Vicki and I have the same father but different mothers.  My father was an evil, fucked up monster – cold, distant …my mother a passive soul who didn’t have the strength to walk away.”

 

“So you had to be strong.”

 

“Strong for the both of us…If a heart attack didn’t take his worthless life then I would’ve killed him with my bare hands…no regrets. He helped create this sonofabitch. In some ways he still affects my life. Nurturing Starr I try desperately not to emulate my father but I don’t know really.”

 

“My father was kind, loving, and very intelligent. The best man that everyone knew except his daughter…Todd I can’t talk about this not here…not right now.”

Her comment made him begin to understand the different sides of Evangeline. Men had always been a disappointment in her life.  If you don’t tell her Nora will  

“Daddy, Evangeline come see!” An excited Starr appeared before them along with her friend Sandy.

 

Evangeline put on a happy face. “Sweetie what’s going on?”

 

“Come and see,” she beckoned them to come along.

 

“Well come on Todd.”  Rising from the table Todd kept a wary eye on his beloved.

 

***

 

“Llanview looks so boring,” Layla complained inside Nora’s spare room. The ever busy Nora needed to go by the office to catch up on some work. Her mother didn’t seem ready to confront Evangeline just yet.

 

“It is Sunday.” Suddenly Layla grabbed her purse. “Layla where do you think you’re going?”

 

“Out mom. Don’t worry what sort of trouble can I get into?”

 

She observed the residents as a mixture of elites and middle-class white folks barely a minority in the bunch. Probably Saturday featured more delights. Doubtful they would stay that long.

 

“See you later mom.” She was on a mission to find her people.

 

“Layla! Layla! That child…”

 

***

 

And what was Starr’s surprise? showing them her improved capabilities of riding a horse without much assistance. During the summer Dorian took her to the ‘Elwood Stables’ for riding lessons.

 

“Quite a reference isn’t it.” Todd said positioned behind her. “You’re next up to take that ride,” he said kissing her ear.

 

“Todd…not here…,” she said embarrassed. 

 

Starr’s impressive display ended and a proud father ran up to congratulate her. “Great job sweetheart...”

 

“Thanks daddy.”

 

Evangeline gave her a hi-five and said, “It’s time for us to take in more of this carnival experience.”

  

Todd tolerated hanging around with the Mitchells mostly because Evangeline and Starr were having a lot of fun. They went on rides, ate cotton candy and ice cream, took pictures and Todd won them stuffed animals and a charm bracelet for Starr. Evangeline counted it as one of the best days and so did Todd.

 

“I’m sort of sad that it’s coming to an end,” Evangeline said as they walked arm in arm to the car.

 

“Me too but we can do this again...some time.”

 

“I hope so.”  

 

***

 

“Excuse me.”

 

“You’re talking to me?” Layla asked the intrusive stranger. She finally stumbled into a fashionable boutique which caught her attention only to be bothered.

 

“Who else would I be talking to… dark beauty?” He asked flashing a perfect set of pearly whites, handsomely dressed in casual attire with dreads spread out across his shoulders.

 

Flattery would get this chocolate dream nowhere. “I’m not from around here so get lost bozo!”

 

RJ laughed. She reminded him of Evangeline. “Forgive me if I’m being annoying but it’s rare to see beautiful women as yourself around here.”

 

“Why do you live here?”

 

“Because I have the right to live anywhere… I see that you’re busy so…”

 

As he stepped away she said, “Hey I won’t in Llanview for very long so can you take me on a tour.”

 

“Didn’t your mother tell you not to go off with strangers,” he joked.

 

“She has but I’m sure we’ll have plenty of witnesses wherever we go. Besides if you try anything then you’ll get the sense of who I am.”

 

Definitely she reminded him of Evangeline. “I promise to be on my best behavior.”

*** 

Evening… 

It seemed like the day’s activities and the return trip home exhausted Starr. On the elevator ride she rested her head on Todd’s shoulder at the same time letting out huge yawns. She was able to cradle one of her new teddy bears close to her chest. Evangeline brought along the remainder of their prizes in a bag.   

 

Entering the penthouse and turning on the lights he said, “I’m going to take you to bed.”

 

“No daddy… yawn I’m not sleepy. I want to stay with you and Evangeline.”

 

“Time for bed,” he insisted, “Say goodnight to Evangeline...”

 

“Goodnight Evangeline.”

 

“Goodnight sweetheart.” She kissed her cheek.

 

***

 

He eased down beside her on the couch draping an arm across her shoulder. She nuzzled his neck then closed her eyes.

 

“I’m so tired of arguing with people about our relationship. They will never understand us. But we love and understand each other.”

 

She opened the door – time for him to walk through it even if…he sighed, “There’s something I must tell you Evangeline.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“Something from my past…”

 

“The past is dead and buried.”

 

“Nora will use it against me,” he persisted, “Baby, listen to me. If I don’t come clean now it will tear me up inside especially if she is the one to tell you.” She lifted her head staring at him. The look in his eyes made her heart skip a beat. She saw indecision. “I have a pretty fucked up past.”

 

“You’ve told me that.” She gently squeezed his hand.

 

“When I was a junior  in college I-I shit! I raped a female classmate.”

 

That is pretty fucked up. “Come again.” Rape – not the Todd she knew – not the man she loves. Todd a rapist kept churning in her mind.

 

“I raped a young woman. Nora was my defense attorney and at the time and I lied to her.” Nora his defense attorney – it’s a small world after all. “When she found out she turned over the evidence to the prosecutors… ”

 

“Good!” she stood up abruptly. “She did the right thing.”

 

“Baby…”

 

“Todd, please give me a moment to digest everything you’ve just told me.”

 

The man she loved was a rapist. – Her best friend his defense attorney. Told you this would happen… her mind screamed. Nora’s reservations were justified but she should have told her sooner instead of being so fucking cryptic. What would it have mattered? She was falling in love.

 

“Evangeline…,” he spoke quietly grateful she hadn’t bolted through the door.

 

“I’m aware loving you wasn’t going to be easy. You’re far from being a saint.”

 

“But I’ve learnt a valuable lesson.”

 

“What did you learn?” she asked softly.

 

“Forcing myself upon a woman doesn’t make me a big man. It makes me the worst kind of low life slime ball that ever existed.” Those crystal blues peered at her. “Trust that I have…never will…do anything so perverted again.”

 

“Although I could never condone such a heinous act I’m convinced that the man standing before me isn’t the same person who raped that woman. He’s grown into being a great father and the man that I love.” His heart was relieved.  

 

“I love you.”

 

Her lips parted receiving a sweet kiss. It would take more that his past indiscretions to make her walk away from him. Suddenly her cell phone started ringing.

 

***

“Cookie….”

 

“Mom…”

“I’ve been trying to contact you since my arrival.” 

“You’re here in Llanview?”

“Don’t be surprised. You and I need to talk now.” 

“Mom I can’t talk to you right now.”

“Why? Are you too busy shacking up with that white devil.” 

“MOM!” How did she know? Who told her about Todd? Only one person…

“If you don’t come to me then I’ll come to you.” 

“You can’t… not tonight…I’ll see you tomorrow.” Evangeline switched off the phone burying her face in her hand. Lisa will be pissed but at that moment she didn’t give.

 

“I take it your mother isn’t pleased with our relationship either.”

 

“You think,” she responded miffed raking trough her hair. “How could Nora do this to me? Best friend indeed,” she said disappointed. Would they have any peace? She felt his strong arms encircling her. “My mother won’t let this go. She’ll make sure that I’m on a flight to Atlanta.”

  

“Baby you’re a grown woman. Your mother cannot still have the same influence on your decision making.”

 

“My mother and I had a deal. It’s like I’m breaking a promise. I’ve never intentionally lied to my mother before coming to Llanview.”

 

“We can’t let anyone take control of our emotions. It’s about us…not them…not them.”

“Why is loving you so wrong?” She’d go into work tomorrow and confront Nora about betraying a trust. She guessed her mother would be there waiting – a great start to the week. 

Chapter 11 by chocolate470

“Could you believe she hung up on me,” a disgruntled Lisa commented to Nora, “My own daughter. I’m going to call her again.”

 

“She’s not going to pick up,” Nora said from her seat on the living room sofa.

 

“We’ll see about that.” A few seconds later Lisa received her answer. “Voicemail! Evangeline has never acted like this back home. What has Llanview done to my baby? Nora you said that this arrangement had no drawbacks because you were going to keep her inline.”

 

Nora let out an astonished groan. “Mrs. Williamson I didn’t say anything about keeping Evangeline inline. After all she’s your daughter.” Lisa glanced at her annoyed. “I simply called to give you an update on Evangeline’s situation.”

 

“Don’t back track now Nora. You know how I am when it comes to my daughters and so does Evangeline.”

 

“Yes I’m cognizant of your direct approach but you mustn’t come down hard on her. Evangeline has one bad thing going on.”

 

“The rapist Todd Manning... What does my baby see in this man?”

 

“He’s very charming; owns and runs a successful newspaper, sits on the board of Llanview Hospital.”

 

She lifted a hand in disgust. “Stop! Stop! Don’t want to hear anymore accolades about this wolf in sheep’s clothing. Evangeline dating a convicted felon. I should go over there right now!”

 

“Waste of energy,” Nora counseled rising to her feet. Calling Lisa wasn’t a straightforward decision considering the risks involved – losing her best legal assistant and her best friend. It was necessary to counteract Todd’s involvement in her life….wasn’t it?

 

“True he’s certain to have a list of those who can and cannot enter his castle in the sky.”  Layla’s absence quickly entered her mind. “One day in Llanview…Layla where the hell are you?”

 

***

 

The upcoming meeting with her mother made Evangeline cogitative on a time not so long ago when Lisa was an indelible presence in her life.

 

“My mother held us together when dad died,” she explained laying her head against his shoulder. “She gave up her life to take care of us. I believe I have a picture with the three of us in my bag.”

 

“So you are a close knit family. Here comes the big, bad Todd to blow the house down.”

 

She briefly stopped digging through her bag. “So I’m little Red Riding Hood all alone in the dark forest.”

 

“Wrong fairytale baby…” Todd laughed then ducked away from a flying cushion aimed at his head. “I was only making a correction.”

 

“And laughing at the same time…lucky you have quick reflexes.” She plopped down beside him. “Here…,” she said handing him the photo.

 

Todd’s eyes scanned the image with great fascination. “Your mother is a very stunning woman.”

 

“Most men want to date her but she just laughs them off. My father will always be her only love.”

 

The mention of her father reminded him of their conversation at the carnival. “I don’t understand your father’s treatment of you.”

 

“He loved me in his own way. When I was born he wished for a son to carry on his name. He would often say the house was filled with too much women. Most of his weekends were spent either at his office or hanging out with friends.”

 

“His lost for missing out on his daughters lives.”

 

“Can’t blame the man for wanting a son,” she conceded.

 

“Are you kidding me?” He squeezed her firmly. “You’re greater than any son. Beautiful, strong, independent, intelligent, creative…,” he said placing soft pecks on her lips.

 

Her body grew warm with each kiss and compliment. “Handsome, sexy, magnanimous...,” she countered.

 

“Go on…”

 

“I can see why Blair wants to hold on to you.”

 

He sighed, eyes reflective. “Out of spite and the need to have control over my life… ”

 

“I believe she likes putting herself out like that – hunting down and dissuading any rivals for your affection.”

 

“Once I liked that about her. I thought it showed how much she cared about me. That’s not love. We need to move beyond that shit because of Starr.” Tracing imaginary circles around her cheeks he calmly whispered. “Now I know what how true love is suppose to feel. Your coming to Llanview wasn’t by chance.”

 

“The planets were aligned huh,” she smiled.

 

“Yeah something like that...You still don’t believe in our destiny.”

 

She didn’t wish upon a star either. Destinies were created through hard work not blind luck. “I believe in you and me,” she borrowed from a Whitney Houston song.

 

He simply adored her mini breakout into song considering how the evening back at the penthouse began. “Let’s go upstairs.”

 

***

Outside Nora’s apartment building… 

 

RJ retied his braids and asked, “When will I see you again?”

 

“Never!” Layla uttered a curt response.

 

The guided tour turned into a tour of RJ’s collection of admirers. Not that he deflected their unwelcome attention. Layla wanted to slap the stupid grin off his face every time one of those skanks accidentally brushed against him or whispered a secret code.

 

“Baby didn’t I make a good impression.” He attempted to caress her hand but she snatched it away.

 

“You call women falling over you the right impression.”

 

“Not like you’re my girlfriend,” he grinned.

 

“Not like you’re God’s gift to all women.”

 

“So that’s the thanks I get.”

 

“I expected to see the sights not to see and hear the sounds of desperate women. You didn’t even have the courtesy to acknowledge my presence. Thanks for the lift but…”

 

“You’re right I behaved like a total jerk,” he expressed remorse. “It’s difficult when you own a club and you constantly need to be a salesman to keep people coming through those doors. Very difficult for women in my life...”

 

“A man like you doesn’t have a girlfriend?” She asked folding her arms across her chest.

 

“I had a girlfriend but she cheated on me. When I attempted to get the relationship back on track she turned be down. It signaled that I needed to move on.” His confessions from the heart seemed to be changing her hard stance. “Again I’m really sorry that I caused you to have an unpleasant experience. Do you accept my apology?”

 

“Apology accepted. I’d love to stay and chat some more but my mom is probably wondering about my whereabouts.” More like fuming.

 

“Seriously Layla when can I see you again?”

 

“I don’t know. We’ll probably be leaving Llanview tomorrow.”

 

“Let me have your digits and I’ll give you a call later. Who knows maybe I can take some time off and pay you a visit in Atlanta.”

 

“Sounds like a plan….damnit this is so embarrassing. I forgot your name.”

 

“It happens,” he remarked with a wry smile, “The name is Rayford but you can call me Ray.”

 

***

 

Evangeline’s head throbbed – the onset of a headache. A muted Todd lay spooned against her body in the dimly lit room. He thought it better to listen to the aerial resonates than disturb his lover...the sensation of her silky skin underneath his fingers and her sweet scent permeating the room satisfied him presently. She hid her inner concerns quite well but he sensed their existence.

 

“Just say the word and I’ll whisk you away on my private jet.”

 

“What don’t you have?” You living here with me.  “Even if we were to fly away we’ll come back to the same problems.”

 

“Who said anything about coming back?”

 

She pretended to give his idea careful consideration. “I actually like the idea but I prefer a massage. After last night I’m still a little sore.”

 

“Uh Oh does that mean junior goes unsatisfied tonight?”

 

“Always thinking about your needs,” she smacked him playfully on his chest. “It all depends on how good a masseuse you are.” Todd climbed off the bed. “Where are you going?”

 

“I’ll be back shortly,” he said licking his bottom lip, “Prepare yourself.”  

 

She felt a little moistness between her legs. “Hurry back.”

 

***

 

A few minutes later he reappeared to find Evangeline lying on the bed stripped of any visible signs of clothing. His shaft twitched beneath the boxers from lustful thoughts steaming through his mind.

 

“Well you said to prepare myself,” she grinned reveling in his reaction.  “Take off your t-shirt,” she commanded.

 

He took it off revealing his lean muscular chest with straight brown hairs scattered along its surface. Her gorgeous hunk of man, she blew out a satisfied breath. “Tell me how you keep that sexy body in shape.”

 

“All natural, sweetheart,” his eyes sparkled, “Just for you.” His suave voice made her tingle all over.

 

An exquisite aroma awakened her senses. Todd poured massage oil into his palms rubbing them together in a slow circular motion. She closed her eyes whispering, “Oh yeah…” He climbed back into bed. “So tell me where it hurts,” he said lifting both her legs on his shoulders.

 

“Everywhere,” she moaned, “You can start at the bottom and work your way up.”

 

With every delicate stroke of his hands the heat from the massage oil penetrated her skin. He trailed soft kisses starting from her toes, to her ankles, her calves, knees…”Ohhh…,” he reached her sensitive thighs causing a heightened sensation to spread across her entire body.

 

“Aaaahhh…” She felt him slide two fingers deep inside her wet, swollen center. His tongue began sucking and pulling at her sensitive core.

 

“So wet my love.”

 

She was powerless to speak directly gripping the sheet as her hips moved rhythmically with the motion of his tongue and fingers. “Oh Baby…yesss…baby.”

 

He grasped her ass continuing the merciless onslaught at a faster pace. Her body thrashed about searching for that sensuous release. “Todd!” she finally cried out. “Baby,” she meekly said shifting her head from side to side. He continued feasting; enjoying every last bit of her juices until thoroughly satisfied.

 

***

 

“Your massage isn’t quite finished.” His tongue pushed through her parted lips and she tasted her sweetness. Heavy, pleasurable moans emanated from their mouths while his hands played with her sensitive tips. “I love you so much.”

 

“I love you too…hmmm…”

 

His lips massaged the contours of her neck then made its way to her chocolate areoles giving each equal attention. Another orgasmic wave washed over her and he removed his boxers releasing his throbbing need. Breathing heavily he took a moment to sheathed his huge length. Much to her delight he flipped her over hoisting her ass over his erection.

 

At first he gradually moved inside of her then “Yes…aaahhh…yes.” She spread her legs further accommodating more of his length.

 

Rising to her knees she reached over cradling the back of his neck. “You’re mine forever,” he whispered through harsh breaths. His shaft hammered into her at the same time gently squeezing her breasts.

 

Minds lost in a sea of desire – the sounds of perspiring bodies slapping against each other and groans of pleasure echoing. Suddenly her walls clamped around his erection. He managed a few more thrusts until they climaxed together. Her upper body fell forward and his followed on top of her before rolling away both breathing heavily.

 

Although tired he was ready to go at it again and much to his pleasure she acquiesced.

 

***

 

The shower provided its share of excitement along with an unfortunate slip for Todd. Evangeline couldn’t help but needle him about the incident while changing into her camisole.

 

“A classic Todd moment – you literally and figuratively falling flat on your ass,” she taunted.

 

“You won’t let me live that one down,” he replied drawing her nearer. “But I also have a classic Evangeline moment – you screaming out my name afterwards…Oh Todd, please don’t stop.” She grinned and he slid his tongue between her parted lips.

 

He determined now to be the perfect time to offer up an opinion. “Baby it’s not wise to go over to Nora’s office. After what she did to you I doubt that you can work for her again.”

 

She realized that. “Don’t think about calling one of your ‘friends’. I can get another job on my own.”

 

“That’s not I was going to say,” he lied.  

 

“I know.” She knew he was lying. “You must allow me to do things for myself. No one is going to say that I’m with you because of your money.”

 

“Don’t give a fuck what people say. I care about your happiness.”

 

“I know that too.”

 

It was impossible for him to shake the feeling of not doing enough.  “When a man loves a woman the way that I love you he wants to give her the world. Let me give you the world.”

 

“Oh Todd…Baby,” she put her arms around his neck. “All I need is your love. All I want is you.”

 

“As long as I have you...I have everything.” Tender lips pressed together into an ardent kiss that lasted a few moments until gently releasing.

 

“Hold on I have something to give you.” He walked over and opened the nightstand’s upper drawer taking out a rectangle, black jewelry case.

 

“Baby,” she smiled happily accepting the gift.

 

“I hope you like it.” On Friday he agonized over purchasing the piece unsure of her tastes in jewelry unsure of the right time to give it to her. She opened the case to find a platinum necklace with a combination platinum diamond heart pendant attached.

 

“I love it. It’s beautiful...you’re beautiful.” She leaned forward kissing him.

 

***

Next morning… 

 

“I don’t want to go!” Starr screamed.

 

“Let’s not start this again.”

 

Like having to explain why she needed to go back to her mommy. Evangeline observed the drama being played out in the living room. From early that morning Starr behaved sourly throwing little tantrums here and there.

 

He explained, “We’ll see each other from time to time before our next weekend together.”

 

“That’s not enough!”

 

Todd sat down on bended knees twisting the charm bracelet on her hand. “What can I do?” At the time he thought he made the best decision for her… his life is still unstable.

 

Suddenly she embraced him and said, “I’m going to miss you and Evangeline.”

 

“We’re going to miss you too.” She tugged at his heart strings every time they said goodbye. “Let’s go.”

 

***

 

While Todd walked Starr over to Dorian’s front door Evangeline called her mother insisting that they meet over at the Sun newspaper if she wanted to talk. Lisa objected the venue but following a heated discussion she grudgingly accepted the arrangement. She threw her head back exhaling…a battle with her mother that she didn’t want to fight.

Meanwhile…  

A composed Blair greeted them at the door. Seeing Todd meant a great deal.

 

“Bye daddy,” Starr hugged and kissed him.

 

“Bye Short Stuff.”

  

Todd drifted down the short front steps. “I forgive you,” she said in a hopeful voice.

 

He quickly spun around anger visible on his face. “Save your fucking absolution because I would have done it again. Take care of our daughter but stay far away from me and Evangeline.”

 

She watched helpless as he exited pass the iron gates and entered his BMW. That bitch must be sitting inside waiting for him. She slammed the door unable to witness anymore of Todd’s new life without her. How much more could she endure? Tomorrow marked her rescheduled doctor’s appointment. The answer will soon come.

 

***

Sun Newspaper 

“Hey get back to work!” he yelled at the inquisitive onlookers. The male employees’ stares bothered him the most. “I’m not paying you for gawking. You’d think you haven’t seen a beautiful woman in here before.” He gazed intently at Evangeline. “You could have worn another dress.” The printed black and white knee-length dress hugged her curves.

 

“Are you sure it’s the dress?” Probably seeing their boss stroll arm in arm with a woman other than Blair caused some commotion unless some of them were bigoted as well.

 

Todd’s eyes scanned her from head to toe. “It’s the dress,” he determined.

 

“The next time I come over to your office I’ll wear a muumuu …not…” 

  

“Good morning Uncle Todd,” Jessica’s bright smile greeted.

 

“Good morning Jessica I’ll like to introduce Ms. Evangeline Williamson – the new woman in my life.”

 

She extended her right hand. “Finally I have a chance to meet you.”

 

“Happy to meet you as well,” Evangeline replied.

 

“My uncle has been keeping you under wraps.”

 

“As you can see the beautiful secret is out.”

 

Indeed she was a beauty. The usual questions filled her mind – how, where, why but Todd looked the happiest she’d ever seen him. “I can take you on a tour…”

 

“I’ll take her on the tour,” Todd chimed in, “I’m sure you have some work to catch up on.”

 

“Right. Well Evangeline I’ll see you later,” she waved.

  

“Todd…,” she said a bit irritated by his behavior, “That wasn’t nice considering she’s your favorite niece.”

 

“Evangeline you can chat with her later.”

 

“We’ll certainly have loads to talk about.”

 

***

 

Lisa scarcely believed Evangeline demanded her presence on enemy territory. It appeared Todd’s influence was more than she first imagined. He’s probably telling her what to eat, what to wear with my poor baby hanging on his every word – money and power.  She rode the elevator alone – Layla refused to be involved in ‘the drama’ as she termed it and Nora had work. Not that she needed an entourage as her mother she wielded greater influence than this snake.

 

***

 

“Please let me stay with you,” Todd gripped her hands pleading.

 

They were standing in one of his vacant rooms – two doors down from his main office. It contained a desk and three chairs.

                                     

“Baby I must face her alone.”

 

“We’re in this together,” he stressed.

 

“My mother and I have other things to discuss. It’s not just about our relationship.”

 

He smirked and said, “Damnit Evangeline you always want to stand on your own! Sometimes I wonder if I’m really that important to you.” He gazed at her with a sad expression. “Maybe our relationship means more to me,” then he walked out.

 

“Todd!”

 

Couldn’t he understand it was hard for her to break a habit in such a short space of time? In her adult life she learned to face many obstacles by herself. It made her strong, independent. Some of the same qualities he admired.

He loves you. Your battles are his battles and vice versa. 

She feared that given their strong personalities any argument between them would get out of control. She made the right decision.

 

***

 

She heard the door knob turned and assumed, “Todd…”

 

“No it’s your mother,” she announced coming inside. Internally she mustered the courage to stand against this great imposing figure clad in a navy blue dress, hair piled neatly at the top. A woman she both loved and respected although Lisa was now seeking to control her future.

 

“How dare you treat me like this? I’m your mother not some aunt visiting from out of state.”

 

“Mom I don’t want us to get into another argument.”

 

“If you plan on staying in a relationship with that rapist then we are going to battle it out.”

 

“T-That’s all in the past. He’s a different person!”

 

Damn bastard pre-empted her strike. “How long have you known this man…humph? I’ve raised you to make better choices. He’s a convicted felon!”

 

“And you’ve also raised me to give people second chances. Is it because he’s white that you can’t see another side to him?”

 

Lisa chuckled. “What more do you want me to see? He’s a rich, white, rapist, con artist that is a jackass with everyone except around you...right. In addition he has an ex-wife and daughter,” she rattled off. “Any woman would run far away. Why would you want to take on so much drama when you’re just starting to live your life? Cookie, don’t waste your time with someone who is playing you.”

 

“He’s not playing me,” she countered.

 

“Beautiful necklace,” she observed walking towards her.

 

“A beautiful gift from Todd...,” she replied staring down.

 

“Buying your affections? You can let this go. Chalk it up to a summer fling. Soon you’re going away to NYU and won’t have time for a relationship. The books will keep you warm at night.”

 

“So Nora told you,” she said quietly.

 

“A friend told me but I was hoping you’d surprise me on your planned visit back home.”

 

“You see this is how you are. It’s my life and Todd is a part of my life. He’s more than just a ‘summer fling’. I love him and he loves me,” she declared.

 

Lisa slapped her hard. Evangeline’s eyes became glassy with tears. “Stop this foolishness right now! What do you know about love and its consequences?” Inside she felt like a little girl being put to shame by a wise mother. She was too young to know about life, love. How much had she really experienced? Certainly not more than her mother... “We’re going back to your apartment and pack. I’m taking you home.”

 

No…no…she’s not a child anymore. She’s a woman. She recovered saying, “Mom I can’t go with you. I’m staying in Llanview until it’s time to go to NYU. I’m not a baby anymore! Allow me to stand on my own!”

  

“Evangeline…” He’d just entered the room. Their eyes locked sending secret messages. 

 

“Stay out of this Mr. Manning!”

 

“Like it or not Evangeline is my concern Mrs. Williamson.”

 

“She’s my daughter!”

 

“She’s the woman I love!”

 

“I can speak for myself,” Evangeline interjected.

 

“Then speak. It’s either him or me. Choose wisely.”

 

“Why would you ask your daughter to do something like that? Sounds asinine to me…”

 

“Why don’t you just shut up! You claim to love my daughter but yet you place her in the middle of all your baggage. Eventually you’ll break her heart with that ex-wife of yours.” She turned to Evangeline. “He’s been around the block with that woman so much that the sidewalks have cracked.”

 

“I love your daughter. I’d rather cut my heart out than go back with Blair because Evangeline has my heart and soul.”

 

“Oh really…The devil has a heart and soul.” Todd chuckled lightly.

 

“Mom, please go…”

 

“Baby I’m not leaving without you.”

 

“Well I choose to stay with the man I love. How can I explain how much I need him? He’s been there for me through some rough moments. He’s more than my lover. He’s also my best friend.”

 

“Cue up the damn violins. Your friendship with Nora gets thrown away because of…this,” she said pointing in Todd’s direction. “Stop talking nonsense and let’s go.”

 

Todd stepped between them. “She doesn’t want to go with you. Stop hurting your daughter.”

 

“I’m hurting my daughter?!” she shouted incredulous. “Get out of my way bastard!”

 

As usual Lisa ignored her opinion…time for her to show some assertiveness. “MOM GO! LEAVE US ALONE!”

 

Finally Evangeline’s words registered loud and clear. Lisa took a step back to regain her poise then cautioned, “Mark my words you’ll regret this decision. Don’t look for me to pick up the pieces.”

 

“Nice meeting you Mrs. Williamson,” he said coolly.

 

“Can’t say the same about you...,” she hissed throwing darts with her eyes. On her way out she slammed the door shut.

  

“One day your mother and I will break bread together at the same table.” She gave him a weak smile. “I guess you want to be alone now.”

 

“Aren’t we in this together?”

 

“For as long as you’ll have me… I’m here for you.”

 

“Hold me.” He wrapped her securely in his arms concentrating on her soft sobs. “I shouldn’t be crying.”

 

“No shame in crying. It took a lot standing up to a force like your mother. Sweetheart, I’m so happy you chose me.”

 

You’re a fine catch Todd Manning. Little by little Evangeline is losing her friends and family because of you,” he told himself. Did he deserve her love and sacrifice? The insecurities were slowly seeping through.    

Chapter 12 by chocolate470

Other than distancing herself from the “drama” Layla had another reason for not tagging along with Lisa – RJ’s invitation to Max’s café – a cozy corner café known for its lattes and glazed donuts.

 

RJ’s attention thrilled her beyond words. In Atlanta she usually dated guys her age that fell into on or two of the following categories:- mama’s boys, gangsta wannabes, worked at minimum wage jobs or didn’t have a job at all. Here is Ray a man who owned and operated a business; knowledgeable of the world and last but certainly not the least…interested in her.

 

“Hey Layla.”

 

“What?” her eyes sparkled.

 

“For a second there you seemed to have left me.”

 

“Sorry my mind tends to wonder.” especially in the company of a man like you.

 

“So tell me about your plans for the future.”

 

“My plans for the future,” she repeated, “first off don’t include college.”

 

“No biggie I didn’t go to college either,” His fingers hugged the coffee cup, “but look at where I am.”

 

“Easier for a man,” she scowled twisting her cup, “than a young black woman.”

 

“All you need is an idea…a dream. This country was built on dreams. With some guidance I’m sure you can succeed.”

 

“I do have a dream but my family is unsupportive. In fact they believe that I’m pretty stupid.”

 

He tugged on his ear. “I’m willing to listen. I’m sure I’ve heard wilder dreams in my lifetime.”

 

Layla felt safe in telling him about her dreams of going to Hollywood and becoming an actress. She did have a plan B if it failed. “Opening a boutique featuring my own creations… So what do you think? I know the Hollywood dream seems way out there.”

 

RJ shook his head and said, “I haven’t a clue what your family is talking about because you’re a woman that has a good head on your shoulders.” I’m a woman. “You’re right in saying you need a support system.”

 

“Are you offering your services?”

 

“Gladly...”

 

“Doubt I’ll use it after my mother gets through with roasting my older sister Evangeline.” His right eyelid twitched at the sound of her name. He quickly sipped his latte. “We’ll be hoping on a plan back to Atlanta,” she complained, “I’ve already packed my bag.”

 

“Your mother is that upset?”

 

“She wants to control our lives wherever and whenever she can. I’m wrong mainly Evangeline’s life. Maybe you’ve met my sister. She’s been here for quite some time – dark brown complexion, charming smile, works for Nora…”

 

“Come to think of it I am acquainted with her,” he said casually. Wow she’s met a man that her stunning sister didn’t make weak in the knees…surprising. “While your sister is stunning she’s not my type more like a prude.”

 

His comment made her smirk. “Is it because she works in the prosecutor’s office? Believe me my sister is far from being a prude as you say.”

 

“No matter because I find the younger sister very appealing,” he said in a low tone. Layla blushed averting her eyes. “So tell me why is your sister being roasted?”

 

“Over some guy named Todd Manning but I’ve tried to tell my mom its Vange’s life.”

 

“Now I can see your mother’s concern.”

 

“You’re taking her side?”

 

“That guy Todd is the biggest fuck up in Llanview… excuse my language. It would be advisable that your sister stay as far away from him as possible.”

 

His comment tweaked her interest but, “Like I said it’s her life. She doesn’t give up on a relationship easily unless it’s unfixable.”

 

“Definitely your sister is going to get hurt real bad.”

 

***

 

Todd blew off appointments, staff meetings, phone calls and all things work related to remain in the terrible atmosphere Evangeline refused to leave. He imagined her to be processing everything that happened. He tried desperately to shake the awful feeling of having failed her but to no avail. Staying in the room made it worst. Both stood side by side staring out the window at nothing in particular.

 

“Sorry…”

 

“There’s nothing we should be sorry about. My mother always wants things her way and when they don’t go her way…well you saw for yourself,” she replied without looking in his direction.

 

“Did I tell you I have a way of fucking up my life as well as those of the people that love me?”

 

This time she faced him noticing pain in his crystal blues. She adored him in every way and regretted that her mother’s action brought forth his insecurities. After what he revealed about his childhood she knew they existed. There were so many sides to a man. “Did I tell you that I’m pretty fucked up myself? Don’t let my fashionable attire fool you.”

 

“How about the pretty face, beautiful eyes, sweet lips…” they both chuckled which eased the tension in the air. “So what are two fuck ups going to do?”

 

“Love each other…Be there for one another,” her soft voice replied as her fingers faintly brushed back his loose strands. “I can’t pretend that it’s going to be smooth sailing given what we’ve been through so far but I’m willing to stay the course if you are.”

 

“I am,” he breathed showing her a small smile. It all turned around so quickly – she recovered her strength while his control left him.

 

But she sensed his strong urge to escape from the room...some sort of underlying anxiety that wouldn’t go away. “I’ve gotta run.”

 

Todd watched her puzzled. “Where?”

 

“I have an appointment with a friend of mine about a job.”

 

“Why am I just hearing about this?”

 

“Because it slipped my mind alright... Baby I’m not making it up just to get away from you.”

 

“Sweetheart I believe you but the timing threw me… that’s all...”

 

Actually she had an hour and thirty minutes to spare but she wasn’t about to divulge that tidbit.

 

Todd scratched his forehead saying, “Then I’ll take you.”

 

Time for her to come clean about here leaving. She sighed, “Todd I want to be alone for a little bit.”

 

This admission struck his heart. “Ok,” he said quietly. She took hold of his hands squeezing them.. 

 

“I hope you don’t take it the wrong way.”

 

“I’m trying hard not to,” he responded truthfully.

 

Best way to ease his mind – pull him into her arms, cover his mouth with her full lips. Slow tongue action that deepened with each moan. As their lips drew apart he whispered, “I’m still unconvinced.”

 

“Thought you would say that,” she smiled kissing him again. “Walk me out.” His arm slid around her waist and they walked outside. Everything appeared to be right in their world.

 

***

Meanwhile… 

 

“How did it go?”

 

“It went…” Lisa said plopping down on Nora’s office couch. “He already told her about the rape and everything else.”

 

Damnit! “Coffee?”

 

“Not strong enough I need a drink.”

 

Nora opened the bottom drawer of her desk taking out a bottle of scotch and a glass. What was it with lawyers? Lisa thought. Her husband had the same habit.

 

She poured out the dark liquid saying, “Seems I’ve lost my best legal assistant.”

 

“That’s pittance compared to what I’ve lost. Isn’t he under some investigation?” she asked taking a small sip. It burned going down…good. “What about the woman he raped? Who is she?”

 

“Mrs. Williamson you’re going too far besides those records have been sealed under court order.”

 

“Nora I’m just grasping at straws,” she explained, “Evangeline refuses to listen to reason. Heaven forbid that snake becomes my son-in-law. Wheel me over to the psychiatric ward if that happens.”

 

“Now I know you’re reading too much into their relationship.”

 

“She loves him,” she said candidly.

 

“What?”

 

“She told me they’re “in love” and for me to butt out. Me her mother who only wants what’s best for her…Todd is not what’s best for her!” Nora’s turn to retrieve her coffee cup and pour herself a drink... “Maybe I should be happy that she still plans on attending NYU…”

 

“You know about NYU?”

 

“Nora, stay on topic. Work with me. How do you get Evangeline away from that bastard?”

 

“I can’t help you. You see how he is – one step ahead.”

 

“What about that ex-wife of his?”

 

“I suggest you don’t mess with that woman. When it comes to Todd she’s a loose cannon.”

 

Lisa looked at her alarmed. “Are you saying this woman will hurt my baby?”

 

“I’m saying she’ll prove to be a lethal liability if you enlist her help.”

 

Lisa sighed rising, “You probably have a lot of work to do and I’ve got a flight to catch.”

 

“Leaving already...”

 

“I need to get out of Llanview before I go insane.”

 

***

 

She made quite an impression on her friend Marian Thompson, an up and coming defense attorney whom she met through Nora about five months ago. They stayed in contact with Evangeline seeking her advice on various legal career options.

 

Marian needed the short term help since her clerk was on an extended vacation and her replacement lagged behind on the workload. Evangeline would start first thing in the morning.

 

Immediately she called Todd to share the wonderful news. He heard the joy in her voice and offered his congratulations.

“I knew my baby could do it!” he cheered, “So when are you coming back? I want us to start celebrating early.” 

 

“Well… I need to go over to my apartment for a bit.”

“Why doesn’t that surprise me?” 

“I’m coming back don’t worry. Don’t come over,” she implored, “I’ve got some work to do. I see a taxi. TAXI! I’ll call you when I get home. I love you bye.”

“I love you too.”  

***

 

Might as well call Sheila to bring my fifth cup of black coffee… What did she mean by don’t come over? Dwelling on the question a little more he finally understood her meaning. Couldn’t deny those intimate thoughts of riding and stroking her naked body stretched out on top of his desk…

 

“Oh yeah that’s how we should start our celebrations. Congratulations baby.” His lips curled while his erection grew. Work Manning.

 

“Sheila ahem,” he picked up his receiver, “Bring me a cup of coffee.”

“Right away Mr. Manning...” 

He needed to get caught up with work. This week the long awaited headline story was going to be revealed. More papers sold and some revenge on the Llanview Police Department – Manning journalistic ability at its best.

 

“If you live in a glass house don’t throw stones Commissioner.”

 

 

***

 

Two minutes later Jessica brought in his steaming cup of joe. What did she want to talk about? like he didn’t know.

 

“I don’t like this iciness between you and my mother.” Maybe he didn’t know. “Now that you’re in a relationship don’t you think it should end?”

 

“Stay out of it.”

 

“How can I not get involved?”

 

“Easy… stay out of it,” his eyes widened, “Its between me and Vicki. Not the first battle and it won’t be the last. Doesn’t that Mexican boyfriend of yours need your attention?”

 

“For the hundredth time he’s not Mexican…he’s Puerto Rican.”

 

“Whatever…”

 

“By the way where’s Evangeline I thought we’d get the chance to talk but Sheila told me she left.”

 

“She had some important business to take care of,” he said sharply.

 

“There’s a rumor going around that Evangeline’s mother...”

 

“I wish everyone would stay out of my fucking business!”

 

“I should go… now…,” Jessica stuttered, “Sorry…”

  

“Jessica…wait…” He took a breath to calm himself. “I didn’t mean to go off on you. I’m just fucking frustrated with myself,” he said covering his face with both hands. “Fuck!”

 

Unlike other memorable Todd meltdowns this somehow seemed unexpected. “Why aren’t you happy? Earlier I saw it on your face when you were with Evangeline. Did her mother change things between the two of you?”

 

“Her mother hates me for good reason – she knows about my criminal past and she told Evangeline as much. She feels I’ll ruin her daughter’s life. Because of me there’s a rift in their relationship.”

 

“Come on Uncle Todd. These sorts of things always happen,” she said taking a seat on the edge of his desk. “You usually never bring home a guy that your mother likes.”

 

“I love her Jessica! Everyday I fall more and more in love with her.”

 

“That’s wonderful!” she said delighted. “How does she feel?”

 

“She loves me too yet her closest family and friends are trying to rip us apart. Deep down I know I’m going to do something to fuck it up. If I hold her too tightly I’ll suffocate her – If I don’t I fear losing her.” She stroked the side of his arm reassuringly. “In the Fall she’ll be leaving for Law school – three years.”

 

The announcement rendered her speechless for a second. “That’s rough. Uncle Todd, are you sure you can handle a long separation?”

 

“Without her in my life I’m lost. Starr keeps me grounded but I want more for myself. You saw what my life was like before. I can’t go back to that instability.”

 

“Guess you’re thinking about going away with her.”

 

“One of the possibilities...”

 

“What about Starr?”

 

“I’m not saying that my mind is made up as yet.”

 

She rose from the desk, walked the length of the room and came back again.

 

“I see that you love her very deeply. Not many people get to experience that type of love. I say go for it. Do whatever it takes. When it comes to Starr you’ll figure something out,” she said giving him a wink and a smile.

 

“I really do appreciate your support for us.”

 

“Join us for Sunday dinner. I’ll make sure its Blair free.”

 

“Wanna bet. I’ll think about it and talk to Evangeline of course.”

 

***

 

She was delighted when Layla called her then gave her directions to the apartment complex. When she stepped into the lobby she saw Layla looking very glamorous in designer jeans, boots, brown halter top, loved the multi-layered bangles with a LV bag by her side.

 

“Thought you’d be flying the friendly skies with mom,” she said hugging her sister. “It’s so good to see you after all this time. Let me look at you – cute and stylish as ever.”

 

“While you are looking radiant as ever…”

 

Finding happiness can do that for you. “How did you con mom into letting you stay?”

 

“Well after the fiasco with you she decided to give me a breather for her own sanity. Thought I could crash on your couch for about a week if it’s alright...”

 

“Of course it is. I barely spend time here anyways since,” she blushed.

 

“The white knight swept you off your feet.” They strolled inside the elevator. “Other than the necklace what else did he buy you?”

 

“Layla…our relationship isn’t based on the superficial. It’s based on love and a genuine caring for each other.”

 

A bit of envy passed through her mind. Things always appeared to go Evangeline’s way while she fought for everything but her luck might be changing. “Vange save the romantic dramatics. Manning is a rich guy. I’m imagining weekend getaways, cars, jewelry…” Evangeline started laughing as the elevator doors opened. “What?”

 

“I’m not attracted to Todd because of his riches. Yes he can give me all of those things and more but why.”

 

“Something is wrong with you.”

 

“Nothing is wrong with me,” she said turning the key in her lock. “Since he knows the type of person I am when he does give me something, like this necklace, I appreciate it more. You’ll learn.”

  

“Nice little apartment,” she said nonchalantly depositing her bag on the floor. “But I’m sure it doesn’t compare to his penthouse.”

 

“Lay off my man’s riches,” she joked. “As you can see my couch is very comfortable. Everything is relatively clean but it needs some dusting. I’m off to my bedroom to change so you can look around and make yourself comfortable.”

 

What was there really to see in her one bedroom – the kitchen, the living room, terrace…done. Damn the apartment felt dead without some music to listen to. She went over to Evangeline’s cd collection and at first found nothing interesting – Ode to the divas…Whitney, Patti Labelle, Aretha Mariah. It’s a wonder Evangeline was attracted to bad guys. Aaliyah…good one sis.

 

Baby you don't know
What you do to me
between me and you I feel a chemistry.
I won't let no one come and take your place
Cause the love you give it can't be replaced.
see No one else loves me like you do.

 

Evangeline emerged from her bedroom dressed in jean shorts and t-shirt carrying a laundry basket, talking on her cell.

                                                                                                               

“Layla is over at my apartment so I won’t see you until this evening for our little celebration dinner. Yeah I won’t let her sleep alone in the apartment…Fine time for you to come down from that tower anyway,” she laughed, “See you later…Love you more…bye.”

 

“Well I see you are making yourself comfortable.” She watched as Layla danced to the rhythm. “Just don’t blast out the neighbors while I’m gone.”

 

***

 

“Hey Ray I’m still in Llanview.”

“For how long?” 

“A week. I’m crashing at Vange’s apartment. So what are you doing?”

“I’m swamped in paperwork.” 

“Bummer so when can I see you again.”

“Don’t worry beautiful I’ll call yo. I enjoy our little chats.” 

“I enjoy them too. Remember I’m only spending a week in Llanview so before you know it I’ll be gone.”

“We’ll meet up before that time. I promise.”  

***

 

The rays of the sun were fading below the horizon as two sisters conversed about their lives during Evangeline’s stay in Llanview – some rewarding moments while others were frustrating mainly because of Lisa’s influence. Even though they were grown she sought to push forward her opinions. Layla thought she figured out a way to get Lisa off their backs.

 

“She needs to get a man and stop thinking about daddy. He’s been dead and gone for so many years. Mom is still a very beautiful woman. He wouldn’t want to see her pining away for a ghost.”

 

“Well she doesn’t feel that she needs one...her decision not ours.”

 

“Speaking of decisions I’ve heard a lot of bad things about this Todd guy.”

 

“Not you too Layla,” she replied irritated. She was growing weary of others questioning her relationship. “I’m capable of making decisions about my life, love! I wish my family and friends would back off and give me a chance to grow up!”

 

“Vange we don’t want to see you get hurt.”

 

“It’s a part of life. Damnit!” That stupid headache was returning. “I’m going to lie down before Todd comes over.”

 

“I’ll bring you some tea.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

***

6:45 p.m. 

 

 

Exiting the flower shop Todd spied RJ walking away from his car in the opposite direction. He couldn’t pass on an opportunity.

 

“RJ!”

 

RJ stopped dead in his tracks and spun around. “What the fuck you want Manning?”

 

Todd approached saying, “Just the man I wanted to see.”

 

“Flowers for me I never thought you cared.”

 

“Shut the fuck up because you’re far from funny. Whatever it is you’re plotting stop it right now,” his eyes warned.

 

“Look Manning I’ve gotten over you stealing my girl away,” he responded, his eyebrows furrowed.

 

Todd’s right hand grabbed his jacket’s lapel. “Let’s get one thing perfectly clear. I never stole Evangeline away from you. She’s a jewel for any man but you treated her like garbage.”

 

RJ pushed his hand away. “Lay off me man! I’m doing nothing!”

 

“Keep it that way or else.”

 

“Or else what! You’re going to dismember me, kill me…”

 

Todd found his suggestion comical. “There are many ways to complicate your miserable existence without me laying a finger on your sorry ass.”

 

“Go to Hell Manning!” he yelled turning his back.

 

“After you asshole!”

 

***

 

While flipping through the channels Layla heard a distinct knocking at the front door. Immediately she arose. Glancing through the peep hole she saw a handsome white man… Todd. She unlocked the door.

 

“You must be Todd.”

 

“Layla…right,” he smiled.

 

“Right...”

 

She found him extremely handsome, charming with the most amazing pair of blue eyes….dangerous. He stood before her clad in a brown leather jacket, dark slacks holding a bouquet of red roses.

 

“Evangeline must have forgotten you’re stopping by because she’s sleeping.”

 

“It doesn’t matter I’ll see her anyway.”

 

“Todd, would you please allow my sister to get some rest.”

 

He wasn’t in the mood for little sister bodyguard.  “Are you trying to prevent me from seeing your sister?”

 

“How can I do that? I’m only one person. Vange’s had a pretty rough day. Give her some space.”

 

“Haven’t you heard? Absolutely no one tells me what to do.”

 

“Does that include my sister?”

 

“She’s always an exception. Don’t play games with me little girl.” It infuriated Layla to be referred to as a ‘little girl’. “Excuse me.” He pushed past her.

  

“Layla, who are you…” They were both surprised to see Evangeline coming towards them in a vision of purple – dress, heels, earrings and clutch.

 

Todd’s countenance brightened…Wow. “Baby you look amazing.” She went into his arms and they kissed. Layla averted her eyes.

 

“So do you baby,” she kissed his cheek. “Roses…they’re lovely.”

 

“Not as lovely as you tonight,” he said caressing her cheek.

 

“Cheap,” Layla murmured.

 

“What did you say?” Todd asked suspicious.

 

Evangeline interjected, “I guess you two have spoken to each other.”

 

“Charming guy…”

 

“Yeah she told me you were sleeping and that I shouldn’t bother you.”

 

“Well I did go and lie down but I couldn’t forget about our date. Layla, could you please put these flowers in a vase for me,” she said handing her the bouquet.

 

“Sure,” she responded dryly. “Vange I’m getting real hungry but there’s nothing in the fridge.”

 

Todd took out a wad of cash pulling out $50. “Don’t spend it all at once.”

 

“I sure won’t,” she replied in a terse tone accepting the bill. “Should I keep the change?”

 

Todd glared at her…Ungrateful brat! “Come on baby let’s go,” Evangeline pulled him along.

 

“How long is your sister going to stay again?”

 

“A week…”

“Good…” Yet he doubted she would only stay a week. 

Chapter 13 by chocolate470

His choice Trendy’s Restaurant, a scenic, upscale eatery located on the eastside of Llanview that featured an amazing garden retreat at its rear. Normally a select VIP clientele would be traversing along the garden paths dotted with contrasting flower arrangements or sauntering over the boardwalk which overlooked a tiny stream but Todd paid a tidy sum to have the romantic setting all to themselves. She appreciated his effort – a way to break free from the maddening decriers of their burgeoning relationship. The moon hung high in the cloudless sky and arm in arm they strolled basking in the peacefulness.

 

She caught herself gazing at him intently. How long did it take her to find such an amazing love? Many years she mentally responded. As a child she battled for her father’s affection with modest success. Vance never expressed much affection except through a quiet nod or a congratulatory handshake. So when she grew older she moved on but countless relationships ended in the inevitable heartbreak. Sometimes the crushing disappointments left her feeling unworthy of love. She accomplished her other goals but why did love elude her? Why put your heart on the line time and time again? The question dominated her life until Todd came along. Definitely couldn’t ignore his unconventional methods for winning her over. He made her laugh; provided her a shoulder to lean on and above all showed her unconditional love.

 

But all relationships including theirs needed time to grow – to heal from mistakes of the past.

 

“Earlier were you thinking of breaking up with me?”

 

“Ah…” The question seemed to throw him off.

 

“So what’s your answer?” she asked determined to get a response either way.

 

He blew out a long breath then said, “I was going to give you the option of walking away.”

 

“And what if I walked away what would you have done? Could you have stayed away?” She snuggled beside him. “See me in the arms of another man?”

 

He didn’t need to think – wanting to be noble would be usurped by his desire to be with her. “Never my love but at the time I thought I meant it.” She turned her face aside disguising a wry smile. A satisfied moan emanated passed her lips as he began tracing soft kisses from her bare shoulder to her slender neck, sliding his arms around her waist. “Why are you asking these questions my love?” his hot breath whispered close to her ear.

 

“Turn about is fair play,” she responded, recalling her conversation with Starr.

 

Todd let loose a hearty chuckle. “You’re so good for me. Damn you look so amazing tonight.” And her fragrance aroused his growing need “You’re going home with me tonight,” he said nipping at her earlobe.

 

“Mhmmm…what about Layla?”

 

“She’s a big girl.”

 

“You said you didn’t mind coming over to my place.”

 

“I can’t stand your sister and vice versa. Don’t want her upsetting my good mood.”

 

Waves of sensual emotions caused her mind to lose some of its control. “Baby it’s not right…to leave her alone…I’ve got work in the morning,” she remembered but her moist center distracted her resolve.

 

Todd pointedly ignored her trepidations and said, “Too bad…I’ll have to cancel our reservations at the Llanview Towers.”

 

“Reservations to Llanview Towers?”

 

“Since I consider tonight our first official date and we are celebrating I’ve booked the presidential suite to be arranged with scented candles; flowers, chocolates, champagne and my favorite…whip cream. Everything is covered except you and me.” Evangeline swallowed hard anticipating another passionate evening in Todd’s company. “Tell me what to do?” He stepped away from her and she experienced a sense of loss.

 

“You’re right… Layla is a big girl. I’ll call her.”

 

***

 

The news didn’t go across well, not that she expected it to. Layla wanted her to come home but Evangeline refused.

“Some type of sister you are.”  

“Layla I resent you speaking to me that way. Todd made plans long before you came to stay with me.”

“Surely Sir Todd can change those plans.” 

“I don’t want him to…ok.  Have a good night,” she said then clicked off the phone.

  

“Layla didn’t take it well?”

 

Evangeline shook her head no. “But I’m tired of worrying about other people. You’re the one I want to be with tonight and if she doesn’t understand that…tough,” she said going into his arms.

 

He lifted her chin, planting a wet kiss on her lips. “Have I told you tonight how much I love you?” She responded with a lingering kiss of her own.

 

***

 

The week progressed and during the daytime Layla meandered around Llanview without her trusty guide. She grew tired of walking down the same avenues but feared straying faraway from the apartment. In the meantime RJ called to enquire how she was but never to set up a real date although he kept promising he would.

 

Evangeline spent her evenings at Todd’s penthouse much to Layla’s chagrin. Naturally she provided her with the necessities to make her stay comfortable but they hardly interacted. The apartment became Evangeline’s secondary dwelling. She practically lived at his residence. Layla thought Todd’s dominance over her sister was almost complete.

 

***

Thursday… 

“Why are we meeting in the shadows?”

 

“I wouldn’t call this ‘the shadows’,” he said, smiling. Sure she was happy when he finally called but meeting in the back room of his friend’s club wasn’t her idea of a good time. “Are you scared of being alone with me?”

 

“It’s being here that I find strange. Anyways I’m glad you called. I was getting tired of having the apartment all to myself. Todd is very possessive of Vange’s time. She goes right along forgetting that she has a sister visiting,” she said in an angry tone, “I know what she sees in the guy but she’s not even taking advantage of his wealth…”

 

RJ rasped, “I didn’t bring you over here to pout over Manning and his riches.”

 

“I don’t like staying in a boring room either,” she snapped back.

 

He chuckled, trailing his fingers along her arms. “Just a temporary stop baby, my friend has some connections with the Hollywood scene.”

 

Her eyes glowed, thinking about the possibilities but then she said, “What’s the catch?”

 

“It’s a first step…dipping your toe in the Hollywood pool so to speak.”

 

“Hmmm,” she replied wearily, rubbing her forehead.

 

“You’ve got to start somewhere.”

 

Somewhere but why did it feel like Evangeline was miles ahead while she flounders at the starting line. “Alright I’m ready.”

 

***

 

Starr made herself quite a nuisance, disturbing Blair over and over about wanting to see her father. Blair quietly denied her request but she was persistent. She went into the kitchen and poured herself a glass of ice tea.

 

“Do you want something to drink?”

 

“No mommy I want to see daddy today.”

 

“Starr I’ve already told you no,” she replied, sitting around the kitchen island. “Your daddy is working and mommy has a terrible headache.”

 

“Mommy please…please mommy.”

 

“Didn’t you call him earlier?”

 

“But I want to see him. Mommy…mommy…”

 

STARR!” Starr flinched from her sudden outburst then ran away. “Starr I’m…Shit!”

 

She drank down half her tea. Useless to dwell on it…a once promising week had gone horribly wrong…she wasn’t pregnant.

 

When she first heard the news she wanted to scream and tear apart the clinic. She insisted the test be redone but the results were still the same….not pregnant. Didn’t she tell them how she felt? Doctors and their damn scientific methodology weren’t everything. The simple home pregnancy kits would work just fine. She drove over to the nearby pharmacy and purchased three pregnancy tests. Three seemed the perfect number. One of them was sure to give her the welcomed news then Todd would come back to take care of her and their children,

 

The unlucky three – not pregnant, not pregnant, NOT PREGNANT! She squeezed the glass so firmly that it shattered within her palm, spilling the remaining contents. There was no sense of pain or the blood dripping downwards. She could fake the pregnancy. Another drastic measures because of that bitch Evangeline. If only there was a way to travel back in time and undo everything. Oh Todd! She began weeping.

  

“Ms. Cramer!” Estela yelled horrified, “What happened here? You’re bleeding!”

 

“I’m bleeding.” Blair looked at her injured hand and the broken pieces of glass on the table. It scared her back to reality. “AH! Ow…”

 

“I think I should call a doctor or the ambulance,” Estela said with nervous tension

 

“Estela, get me the first aid kit. You and I can take care of this.”

 

“But Ms. Cramer…”

 

“I said we can take care of this!” She paused momentarily and said. “And don’t say a word about this to Dorian.”

 

“Yes Ms. Cramer.”

 

Estela peeked over her shoulder as she left room observing Blair pick up the broken shards of glass. She couldn’t be losing her mind.

 

***

Evening…  

 

“Where is she?” Evangeline said after searching around her apartment.

 

“Are you her babysitter?”

 

“Baby not now... And yes I do feel responsible for my baby sister while she is in Llanview. I should have been spending more time with her.”

 

“Instead of with your man? You know your mother set her up to put a dent in our relationship.”

 

“Pure speculation on your part…What really has she done?”

 

“We didn’t give her the chance,” he said kissing her.

 

She scarcely felt his lips. “Maybe we should go look for her…”

 

“And maybe you should stop worrying. Night after night you’ve been at the penthouse. Why are you suddenly concerned?”

 

“I have this gut feeling alright.”

 

He shrugged, “Fine,” and dropped into the couch.

 

Her eyes widened and she shouted. “Get off her bed!”

 

“In the real world this is a couch,” he replied pulling her on top of him, “We can get it on right here.”

 

“Todd, behave,” she giggled. His blues eyes scanned her face and she quietly absorbed his stare.

 

“Behave with the most beautiful woman in my arms,” he said brushing her bottom lip with his tongue. “I love you so much,” he whispered. The emotion she saw in his eyes made her heart quiver and her lips covered his.

  

“Evangeline has got a bedroom you know.”

 

Her voice surprised them both and the intimate moment came to an abrupt end. “Remember the couch is on loan.” Evangeline glared at him as she got up.

 

“Then give me some cash to rent my own place.”

 

“It won’t be necessary since you are leaving in a matter of days. Where’s my change from the last time?”

 

“Sorry I spent it all.”

 

“Both of you stop it.”

  

“Vange what are you doing over here since Mr. Charming has you under lock and key.”

 

“Layla Todd doesn’t have me under lock and key,” she declared, “I’m surprised that you would say something like that to me.”

 

“Sorry ok,” she muttered. Regardless Evangeline took good care of her otherwise.

 

“Actually I’m here to invite you to dinner.”

 

She glared at Todd then said, “I’m sure threes a crowd.”

 

“That’s what I told her. See… we can agree,” he said placing both arms at the back of his neck. Layla smirked back at him.

 

“Todd,” Evangeline admonished, “Baby, get up...please.”

 

“Alright…I’ll wait for you in your bedroom. Too much unwanted company.”

 

***

 

“Look Todd and I aren’t going out tonight.”

 

“Then why is the white shadow here?”

 

“He can’t get enough of this brown sugar,” she smiled. Layla showed her a half smile. “So what do you say to tonight the Williamson sisters go out on the town.”

 

“I can’t. I have a date tonight.”

 

“You have a date…date?”

 

“With a special man named Rayford. He owns a club on the Eastside of town.”

 

“Rayford…” The name failed to register. “So what else should I know about this guy?”

 

“Come on Evangeline it’s nothing serious. I only have a couple of days left in my stay. Besides we didn’t get to chance to learn about Todd either until the call.”

 

She had a point and Evangeline decided to back off. “Have a good time.”

 

“I’m sure I will.”

 

***

 

“What are you doing on my bed?”

 

“Inhaling your sweetness...” It appeared like he was making out with her pillow. “Come join me.” She hopped on the bed, lying next to him. “Did the little pain in the neck accept your offer?” he asked, running his hands along her back.

 

“I wish you stop teasing her but I think the both of you enjoy these verbal jabs at one another.” Todd lifted his shoulders. “Unfortunately for me she’s got a date.”

 

“Then can we go out tonight?”

 

“No,” she said softly but her mind lay elsewhere. For some unknown reason Layla’s upcoming date didn’t sit well with her. Rayford…club…frustrating that she couldn’t make the connection.

 

Todd started massaging her right thigh, kissing the side of her neck. She twisted away from him, resting on her forearms.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Layla’s date….are you sure you don’t know this Rayford guy?”

 

“Never heard of the dude... Can we get back to more important things like…”

 

“Todd I’m serious. I have a funny feeling about this guy.”

 

“I’m guessing we have about an hour Inspector Williamson,” Todd said peeking at his watch.

 

“Shut up,” she laughed. Her soft hands went around his neck and his squeezed her derriere.

 

“I can do so many things in an hour.”

 

“Then…hmmmm…”

 

***

“Why are you in such a hurry?” 

“Don’t want to waste time sitting in your sister’s boring apartment when the whole of LLanview is waiting.” 

“It looks like I’m in for a great time.” 

“I’m always a man to give a woman a great time.” 

Todd’s prediction about the time turned out to be right. Alone she crept along the wall listening intently to the distinct voices coming from her living room. The man’s voice sounded very familiar…way too familiar. No fucking way! The sound of her beating heart resonated loudly in her ear. She rushed out to allay those fears but they proved to be spot on – RJ with a smug look on his face, standing in the middle of her hallway, stroking Layla’s shoulders.

 

“FUCKING BASTARD!” She yelled at the top of her lungs. The bastard planned to get back at her through Layla. Both Layla and RJ spun around in her direction. “Get Out Of My Apartment Now!”

 

“Evangeline, are you going crazy?” Layla asked while RJ remained humble.

 

“Are you trying to do get back at me for dumping you? With my sister…My sister!” RJ took a step backward and she smacked him hard across the face. Confusion splashed across Layla’s face. “You are the lowest asshole! I wish I had never met you or allowed you to touch me,” she growled.

 

“Somebody please tell me what’s going on?”

 

“Not long ago RJ and I dated.” Layla’s body went numb.

 

“I swear I didn’t know Layla was your sister.”

 

“I don’t fucking believe you!”

 

“Ray, why are you lying? You said you knew Evangeline.”

  

“What the fuck are you doing here?” Todd’s eyes flared. He heard Evangeline yelling but didn’t expect to see of all people RJ. “Didn’t I tell you to stay the fuck away from Evangeline?”

 

“Guess I didn’t listen to your punk ass,” he replied in a brash manner, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand.

 

Todd flew at him with fists flying, connecting first with the right side of his jaw then the left, knocking him to the floor. Before Todd could make another punch RJ side swiped his legs from under him causing him to fall face first on the carpeted floor.

 

“Ready for you this time you motherfucker!” RJ yelled rising from the ground, “Ahh…,” Evangeline jumped on his back, clawing at the side of his face. “Bitch!” He banged her against the wall a couple of times until she finally slid off.

 

“Evangeline…,” Todd said slowly rising from the floor.

 

Seeing Evangeline disoriented sprung Layla into action. “Don’t hurt my sister!”

 

RJ grabbed hold of her arms. “What are you going to do with these little mitts?” he snarled. “Both of you are a couple of black bitches. Too bad I didn’t get the chance to have my two for one meal.” Layla kicked him solidly in the groin and he let out a blood curdling scream dropping down to his knees.

 

They heard a banging on the door. “Security! Ms. Williamson, open up the door!” 

 

“This black bitch knows some shit!” She kicked him in the face. When he toppled over sideways she kicked him again in the stomach.

“Open Up Security!” 

Layla went and opened the front door. Two burly security guards stepped inside and began questioning. Layla responded as best as she could periodically pointing in their direction.

 

Todd rushed over to Evangeline’s side. “Evangeline?” Yeah RJ was going to pay for hurting her.

 

“Hmm…,” she coughed. “This going to hurt in the morning,” she let out a small smile. “Honey I’m alright.” Still he lifted her into his arms carrying her off to her room.

 

                                                               ***

 

“I need to check on Layla and see how she’s doing.”

 

“You need to take care of yourself first. Does this hurt?” He asked Evangeline gently squeezing different sections of her spine.

 

“A little,” She couldn’t make out his response but quietly said, “Don’t kill him. I know you plan on doing something.”

 

“Absolutely no one hurts the woman I love and fucking gets away with it,” he responded dryly then added. “I won’t kill him.” This protective side of Todd was scary and endearing at the same time.

 

“I have an ice pack in the fridge.”

 

“I’ll go get it.” He carefully climbed off the bed. While unlocking the door he said, “You should think about moving in with me. I feel better when you’re around me…”

 

***

 

RJ was gone. The slight cracks in the wall and dark smudges on the carpet told of the earlier pandemonium. Layla, her mind seemingly in shambles, stood in the kitchen preparing herself a cup of tea.

 

“Security hauled his ass away,” she offered, “How is Evangeline?”

 

“She’s doing fine. Just need to get her an ice pack,” he responded, opening the fridge door.

 

“What an evening…finding out that you’re being used to get back at your sister is hard to imagine but it’s happening to me.”

 

Small talk with Layla wasn’t happening. “Yeah...” Todd found what he was looking for.

 

“Todd may I ask you a personal question?”

 

“It depends on how personal it is.”

 

“Say you and Vange weren’t dating. Would you go out with me?”

 

He wondered about the question but responded, “That’s a mute point because Evangeline and I are more than dating. We’re deeply in love.”

 

“Do you find me beautiful like my sister?” she continued.

 

“Layla what sort of games are you playing?” He sensed Layla was setting a small trap for him…amateurish at best.

 

“I don’t want you if that’s what you’re thinking.”

 

He grabbed her chin. “I know you don’t want me but you’re not going break up my relationship with Evangeline! You fail to understand the type of person I am.” Tonight wasn’t the time to be messing with his emotions. “Stay out of my fucking way and I’ll stay out of yours. Heed my warning little girl,” he pointed at her and stomped away.

She finally exhaled. She just experienced Todd’s dangerous side. “Damnit!” Mom I can’t and won’t do this to Evangeline.

Chapter 14 by chocolate470

He chose to keep the incident between himself and Layla private. Nothing to let Evangeline get worked up about since he’d dealt with the situation quite handily …she got the point loud and clear.

 

Evangeline stretched out flat on her stomach and he lay beside her, lifting her cami delicately kissing her spine. “My Shero…”

                                            

“The least I could do for the man that’s changed my heart for the best.”

 

“While you have completed mine...”

 

“Hmmm…,” she sighed as he set the ice pack on her back, “Feels so good.”

 

“Are you referring to the ice pack or to my kisses?”

 

She turned and gazed at him. “Both,” she replied with a small smile.

 

His fingers played with her long tresses. The love he felt for her was immeasurable. “Have you thought about what I said?”

 

“What?” She asked coy.

 

So in a way she’d made up her mind already. “I understand why you don’t want to live with but time is of the essence.”

 

Not that she wanted him to but these days he always reminded her of what was to come.

 

“Baby I can’t.”

 

“Why…humph?” he asked in a low tone.

 

“Because it will make it harder for me to leave you…”

 

 Her response made him pause. “I won’t let you give up on going to NYU.”

 

“Then don’t ask me to live with you.” His eyes displayed signs of disappointment. “I’m sorry my love but it has to be this way for now.”

 

“But you practically live at the penthouse,” he explained, “You go to sleep and wake up in my arms. I don’t see why we cannot officially take the next step when we’re already there.”

 

“Why do you have to be so damn impossible sometimes?”

 

“Counselor I have a strong case but I want to hear your rebuttal just for fun.”

 

She playfully slapped his cheek. “You’ve caught me unprepared.”

 

“Admit that your general argument doesn’t hold much weight.”

 

“A Williamson never admits defeat,” she countered.

 

Todd nodded, “Can a Williamson accept a sentence of living with her man until the appropriate time?” He leaned in and their brows joined. Both closed their eyes and he asked, “Can she?”

 

“3/4 of the closet is mine.”

 

“Done,” he smiled kissing her. “We won’t be walking away from each other.”

 

“I understand that.” It also wasn’t the issue. There will be many times when her schoolwork demands will trump his need to speak to her or see her on his stops in New York especially during her first year.  If only he would come with her to New York.

 

***

 

Hours passed by yet Layla couldn’t sleep. She spent her time on the terrace listening to the night sounds of Llanview and thinking once again she morphed into the ‘Invisible Sister’.

 

“Hey…”

 

“Shit Vange you scared me half to death,” she said placing her right hand on her heart.

 

“Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you. How are you feeling?” she asked softly.

 

Guess Todd didn’t tell her about their encounter. “Better I guess. You live and learn.”

 

“It happens to all of us but seeing by little sister go through it makes it difficult. I haven’t been much of a support to you,” she lowered her gaze, “Wrapped up in my own thing.” She sat next to her in the adjoining chair. “A lot of men these days are dirty dogs who don’t care about a woman’s emotions. It’s hard to sift through the garbage before finding a real gem.”

 

“Vange really I’m fine. There wasn’t anything serious with ‘RJ’.”

 

“Layla it’s me… your sister. Part of you must feel disappointed.”

 

“Mostly embarrassed that I ate up all the crap he was feeding me. Next time you should warn me about your ex-boyfriends.”

 

She smiled, “You know the type of guys I’m attracted to.”

 

“And yet you want to become a lawyer definitely not for the prosecution.”

 

“Maybe I’ll stick to corporate law. Layla I’m here to support you in whatever it is you need.”

 

“At this point I want to go back home to Atlanta and get my mind straight. Gosh soon you will be going away. If you don’t mind me asking – how are you and Todd going to deal with it?”

 

Her eyes stared off into the distant skyline. How does one deal with being separated from the man she loved? “Spending more time together…”

 

“And after?”

 

“After is the tricky part. My head says one thing yet my heart says something completely different but enough about my relationship. I’ll go inside and make you some tea.”

 

Her heart ached for Evangeline’s predicament. She found love at a very peculiar stage in her life. Although she didn’t care too much for her choice she saw the love and felt it was real.

 

***

  

A harrowing nightmare invaded Todd’s dreams and his body twisted around the bed from side to side.

He drove on a deserted, darkened highway with an eerie silence infecting the car’s atmosphere. Evangeline sat subdued in the passenger seat apparently deep in thought. 

“Evangeline,” he said in a barely audible tone. It appeared they had an argument earlier; about what he did not know. 

While his confused mind searched for a plausible explanation she replied, “I shouldn’t have rushed into a relationship with you.”

He suddenly felt like she didn’t want to build a future with him. “You’re regretting falling in love with me?” he asked anxiously. 

“Yes I do! I wish I had never met you!” she cried. He reached out trying to comfort her. “Don’t touch me!” She yelled pushing him, flinging the car door open, escaping through its side. 

What was he guilty of? He brought the car to a screeching halt and quickly exited. Running up and down the road he gazed around in different directions but he couldn’t see her. She had simply disappeared into thin air. The darkness was everywhere overshadowing everything in its path including Evangeline.                                      

“EVANGELINE DON’T LEAVE ME! I LOVE YOU!” 

So this is what the end of a dream feels like – dark, cold, hollow. In a short time his self-fulfilling prophecy had come true. He found himself walking down the middle of the highway not caring what happened next. Love hurts especially when you are the one responsible for fucking things up. He lost her. He lost her.   

“No…no…no…” The unusual nightmare roused him in a cold sweat and not finding Evangeline next to him sent him over to the partially opened window to catch a breath. It was only a bad dream.

 

He remained there awhile with his mind reflecting on the past; the mistakes that were made and not to have them repeated. Another side reflected on Evangeline, his world, the love of his life and how very special she is.  Her upcoming departure loomed and weighed heavily on his mind. Choices needed to be made.

 

Suddenly he sensed her approaching and felt soft arms wrapping around his waist.

 

Calmly she asked, “Couldn’t sleep my love?” 

 

He rested his hands upon hers as she leaned her body against him. “Impossible to sleep well without you next to me. Where were you?”

 

“Talking with Layla...She’s a little stunned with what happened.”

 

Amongst other things… “Oh,” but he really didn’t want to talk about Layla. “Soon I’ll need to choose whether to stay in Llanview or leave with you, live in New York.”

 

“You and Starr are coming to live with me and you’re going to make it happen,” she said without hesitation. Her serious tone compelled him to turn around. “Time for you to get full custody of Starr, I see the unhappiness in her eyes and so do you. That bitch is unstable and the sooner you start the process the better it will be for Starr.”

 

Was it the finally the right time for him to take on full responsibility as Starr’s father? Evangeline’s love gave him that confidence. His right knuckles caressed her cheek. “I see your point clearly.”

 

“Then do it,” she quietly commanded.

 

“Tomorrow I’ll get in contact with my lawyers but first things first,” he said taking her up into his arms. “Some loving and sleep...”

 

“I’m more looking forward to sleep,” she laughed.

 

“Don’t believe you,” he said capturing her lips.

 

***

 

Friday the shit hit the fan. The Sun’s Friday edition bold headline read: Commissioner Edwards Vegas Adventures. This quite titillating article brought to light juicy details of the Commissioner’s sexcapades with various Vegas strippers and prostitutes – shocking behavior from a married, upholder of the law and protector of the public peace. If the reader took the story lightly, take a gander at the images provided on the front page. Tabloid journalism at its best but there was much more. Todd would leave it up to the law to dig further.

 

Members of Todd’s rival press descended on the steps of City Hall and the Llanview Police Department with cameras, microphones and the burning questions. Edwards hold up in his office refuse to answer those questions. The Mayor deferred comment until after a thorough investigation into the Sun’s accusations. Nora’s upcoming ‘Trial of the Llanview Century’ was about to be pulled off the front page.

 

***


In the comfort of his office Todd leaned back in his chair and put his feet up. He relished killing two birds with one stone – upstaging Nora and in the end costing Commissioner Edwards his job would go down in the Todd’s annals. Outside the lines kept ringing off the hook. He instructed Sheila to disconnect the phone line and security downstairs to turn away any unwanted visitors with notable exceptions.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Evangeline asked strolling in with a brown paper bag containing sandwiches, potato chips, a salad and beverages. They shared an embrace and a small kiss before relaxing on his office couch.

 

He slyly replied, “You have never asked about my work.”

 

“Humph…your story is the talk of the town,” she said handing him his sandwich, chips along with a coke. “You’ve also stolen the spotlight away from a certain prosecutor.”

 

“That’s the plan.”

 

“As well as getting back at Commissioner Edwards?” she enquired flipping open the salad container.

 

“Don’t you think I should be congratulated for exposing another corrupt city official?”

 

“Congratulations then but I believe this goes way deeper than you are letting on.”

 

He paused in his eating and chuckled, “Baby what are you accusing me of?”

 

“I’m accusing you of being Todd Manning... standing in the midst of a gathering storm of your own creation… But let’s leave my synopsis alone and eat.”

 

“Great idea…”

 

***

 

Back at the Evangeline’s apartment Layla decided to make the call rather than waiting around and thinking about it.

 

“Hello mom.”

“Hey baby what’s up.” 

“Mom I’m coming home tomorrow.”

“But it’s not time yet,” she replied in an anxious tone. “Layla are you backing out of our deal?” 

The deal – Lisa financing her dream trip to California in addition to paying six months on the lease to a reasonable apartment. What did she have to do? Simple – break apart Vange and Todd’s relationship… easier said than done. Last night proved to her that Todd wasn’t a person to be taken lightly. Yeah he loved Evangeline and he was also capable of doing whatever was necessary to hold on to their relationship...taking care of anyone who stood in the way of their happiness.  She didn’t want to stick around to experience whatever lengths he was willing to go.

 

“Why don’t you allow the relationship to run its course? Sometimes things that start off hot quickly go cold.”

“Todd is a beast and his claws will sink deeper into Evangeline. Even if she wanted to walk away she may not be able to.” 

“Right now she considers Todd to be the best man for her. They’re in love mom. I’ve seen it with my two eyes.”

“Layla you’re too young to understand...” 

“Stop it mom! You always say that. When will we be old enough to understand? We are not your little girls anymore. We are your grown daughters.”

“I know that!” 

“From the way you treat us I don’t think you do. Evangeline loves you but she also loves Todd. She feels torn about this whole situation. For both our sakes let it go.”

“I can’t let it go. I just can’t. She’s making a huge mistake being with this man.” 

“I know it’s hard but mom, please try.”

"Alright I’ll try. Come home, baby.” 

She hoped Lisa was being sincere. “Thanks mom.”

 

***

 

The ending of her lunch hour was 15 minutes away. Evangeline sat enjoying a nice foot massage. Sure the world outside of their comfort zone spun differently. This headline grabbing news story would circulate for a week or two and then disappear.   

 

“I’m looking forward to Sunday night dinner at Llanfair.” Todd continued massaging but stayed relatively quiet. “Baby, haven’t you told Jessica that we’ve accepted the invitation?”

 

“Yeah but I believe we shouldn’t go and risk a setup.”

 

“I don’t care if Blair shows up.”

 

“She’ll be showing up to confront us about this custody battle. It’s better that we spend Sunday night at the penthouse.”

 

“No Todd we’re going and that’s final,” she said pulling her foot away and strapping on her shoes, “I’ve gotta go.”

 

“Alright we’ll go.” He opened up his arms saying, “You forgot something,” and pressed their lips together.

 

Letting go she softly said, “Remember your battles are my battles as well.”

 

“Give me some time to realize that fact.” She gave him a wink and stood ready to leave. “Don’t go,” he pleaded, grabbing around her thighs. “I’ve got this fantasy…”

 

“Not this afternoon,” she teased playfully pushing him aside. “I’ve got other priorities pending.”

 

***

 

There was no getting away from the hottest topic of the day. It could be seen with people speaking amongst themselves or TVs tuned in to the latest updated broadcasts. The biggest question being who’d step in to assume the LPD leadership because Commissioner Edwards career had presumably ended.

 

“Nora…,” she said dryly.

 

Nora was the last person she expected to see on her way into the office. In fact she didn’t want to see her at all. The effects of her betrayal were still being played out.

 

“Evangeline…I hoped to see you for lunch.”

 

“These days I usually make other plans.”

 

“Marian tells me that you’ve been a great addition to her office.”

 

She forgot Marian and Nora were good friends. “Are you checking up on me?” her eyes narrowed, “Regretting what you’ve lost in an assistant.”

 

Yes she regretted losing her most capable assistant and something else…her best friend.

 

“No…no…I’m escaping from the latest firestorm. Todd really knows how to stir things up.”

 

“Don’t talk to me about Todd,” she warned sharply, “You are the last person that I want to have a discussion with about Todd.”

 

“Evangeline I-I didn’t come over here to argue of fight about Todd.”

 

“Then go.” She briskly walked past her and Nora touched her elbow.

 

“Evangeline I’m truly sorry about what happened. I miss our friendship.”

 

“Calling my mother was pretty lowdown for a person I once considered my best friend. You totally discredited my faith and trust in you. And for what reason? Because you want to rescue me from my poor decisions in my personal life. My life Nora not yours…not my mother’s…mine. You’re lucky I still have an ounce of respect for you or we wouldn’t be talking right now.”

 

“Will we ever be friends again?”

 

“Excuse me but I have work to do….just leave.”

 

***

 

Nighttime and Todd was faraway from the lights of downtown Llanview in the middle of nowhere on a seemingly deserted property off Exit 22. Just another unfinished business to take care of involving a couple of his disreputable associates. In the future these sorts of actions wouldn’t be necessary unless required.

 

“Yeah he’s in there,” Pete responded with a crooked smile, “Tied up like the rat he is. Me and Jake knocked him around a couple of times. He’s still breathing.”

 

“Bring him out. I want him to see my handsome face.”

 

Pete laughed, “Yeah boss.”

 

***

 

Evangeline stepped out of the car, “And I want him to see mine.”

 

“You don’t need to do this.” He felt uneasy exposing her to this dark side but she insisted on coming along after he revealed his plan.

 

“He hurt my sister,” she whispered harshly. She stood beside him and said, “In some ways you and I are the same. Just this once then I’ll return to my clean-cut way of living. I promise.”

 

They both smiled creating a slight ease in tensions until they saw a bond and battered RJ being brought towards them. The bruises on his face were glaring, busted lip, swollen jaw, his right eye half-way closed. He was too busy struggling with his captors to notice them at first. 

 

“Get your fucking hands off …,” then instant recognition. “What the fuck is going on here?” His captors pushed him down to his knees.

 

“Payback Bastard!” she yelled giving him a hard backhanded smack.

 

RJ’s head flopped over to his right hand side. “Bitch that’s the best you can do,” he muttered, spitting out some blood. “Never send a weak woman to do a man’s job you hear me Todd.”

 

Todd was ready to end this once and for all. Evangeline kept him at bay. “I’ll show him what I can do.”

 

She kicked him hard in the stomach then punched him in the face. “AHHH!” he yelled then fell back on the ground. The heel of her shoe crushed down on his torso and he yelled again.

 

“Give it to me.” Todd hesitated and she said again, “Todd, give me the gun.” Todd handed her his chrome 9 mm. She felt no qualms in pointing the gun at the center of his forehead. RJ’s left eye widened in surprise, fear. “Y-You’re not… going to kill me,” he said nervously.

 

“Why the hell not? she asked. No compunction in her finger caressing the trigger of the gun. “I won’t miss you plus there’s no one around to help your sorry ass.”

 

“It will eat away at your conscious. You’re not like us!”

 

“When you hurt someone in my family I become the biggest, baddest bitch you’ve ever seen. You made a huge mistake when you brought Layla into our shit!”

 

“I loved you Evangeline,” he cried. He would have put up his hands in surrender if they weren’t tied behind his back. “When I lost you it messed me up and clouded my judgment. Please…please don’t kill me.”

 

She experienced a rush of exhilaration. “Beg Harder!”

 

“SHIT I’M SORRY! PLEASE DON’T KILL ME!”

 

“Too Late!” Evangeline squeezed the trigger and the bullet whizzed inches past his ear into the ground. RJ peed in his pants and went unconscious. The men started laughing. “What a piece of shit!”  

 

“Take him inside,” Todd instructed, “Tomorrow deliver him to Turk in Vegas. He’ll know what to do with his former protégé.”

 

“Yes Mr. Manning.” Both men responded.

 

***

 

“Impressive.” It surprised him that Evangeline was a crack shot. “A great performance…”

 

Soon the high dissipated. “I’m just glad it’s over,” she said returning the gun. “Let’s get out of this place.”

Chapter 15 by chocolate470

Upon their arrival at the penthouse they decided to partake in a drink or two before going upstairs with Todd taking on the role of bartender.

 

“Here you go my lady,” he said from behind the mini bar, “Your pleasure…a dirty martini.”

 

She took a short swallow then popped an olive into her mouth leisurely chewing. Staring at him she gauged his disposition as he intermittently gulped down his beer. “Did I surprise you tonight?” 

 

“A bit… so tell me again how many times you’ve handled a gun?”

 

“I never said,” she cleverly responded, “Tonight you’ve seen for yourself what I’m capable of doing…better watch your step,” she teased while lifting the glass to her lips eyeing him under lowered eyelids.

 

He exited from behind the bar. His sexy blues revealed one thing and so did the growing bulge in the center of his slacks. “How should I watch my step?” Her pulse accelerated and the taste of martini was soon forgotten, watching him massage his erection. A sudden sexual current flowed through the air. He could turn her off and on like a damn switch. “Baby…baby…”

 

“Oh,” she quietly moaned when his fingers brushed against her sensitive tips. He moved in closer allowing her body to sense his growing need while tasting his hot kisses on her lips. She cooed, “Oh my love tonight belongs to me,” then zipped down his fly. “Huh…” her hand slipped inside his boxer caressing his thick, rigid, fully erect shaft. “Yeah…my pleasure...”

 

Separated lips invited her into a lingering kiss until she descended downwards. “Ah…” She released his confined shaft and housed it in the warmth of her mouth – sucking, licking, while supple hands loosely encircled his erection sliding up and down.  

 

“Shit…ah… yeah…” Her actions were making him weak and he leaned back against the facing of the bar riding her mouth to ecstasy. His right hand stroked her hair and his left holding steady on the bar’s crest. His body screamed for his shaft to be buried inside her – hammering over and over again inside that sweet, sweet cove that must be so wet for him but tonight she rendered him powerless. Powerless to resist her skilled tongue that stroked him mercilessly, desirous of taking him where she had been guided by his foreplay on so many pleasurable nights.

 

“Hmmm…,” she moaned, taking in all of him.

 

He whispered, “Evangeline….,” through closed eyes and quickened breaths. 

 

No she wasn’t going to release him. She methodically accelerated her strokes holding on to his shaft with one hand, squeezing her breast with the other, body bouncing rhythmically. “I’m cumming! Shit! SHIT! ” He exploded then slipped down to the base of the bar, breathing heavily quite exhausted.   

 

Some of his cum drizzled down the sides of her mouth and she wiped it away, sensuously licking it off her fingers. It was so good. Satisfied she rose to her feet shedding her blouse, pants, bra…

 

She said, “I’m going upstairs to take a shower,” and strolled away. Todd almost lost his balance hurriedly rising to his feet. “Too slow,” she teased already half-way up the staircase. He hastily discarded his remaining clothing and rushed towards her. She shrieked and he scooped her up into his arms. Their passionate had night just started with Evangeline assuming full control.

 

***

Morning and sunlight shines upon your sleepy face. 

 

By early morning Evangeline was already up and dressed for the day. After washing his face and brushing his teeth Todd immediately crawled back into bed. She smiled tracing an index finger along his brow and kissing it. With everything within her she adored him

 

“Baby you knocked me out last night,” he admitted without embarrassment, “Last night you behaved like lioness and I was your willing prey.”

 

His back did have some long scratches. She speculated that the evening’s events affected her in more ways than one. “And yet you’re still breathing.”

 

He chuckled, “So you can feast on me again but I thoroughly enjoyed being your snack.”

 

She laughed saying, “Shut up and give me a kiss before I go.”

 

He happily acquiesced with a soft kiss. “I forgot where you’re going.”

 

“Layla is flying home this afternoon and I plan on spending that time with her.”

 

Oh happy day Layla was leaving yet he mumbled, “Bummer…” As usual he wanted Evangeline for himself regardless of Layla.

 

She said, “Todd, don’t be like that. Her flight leaves at 2:30.”

 

“That’s a relief. Alright you can go.”

 

“Thanks for giving me permission,” she eyed him, “I’ll be taking the BMW ok.”

 

“What’s wrong with your car?!” he asked suspicious.

 

“It’s in the shop and I don’t say a word,” she warned.

 

“I wasn’t going to say anything except I’m wondering…” Whack…a pillow hit against his face. “Ow…what did I do?” he asked, rubbing his tingling nose.

 

She eased her way off the bed saying, “Serves you right…I’m not a bad driver,” then grabbed her bag and the car keys. “I finally have the finances to fix that stupid dent in the car,” she explained and waited for a sarcastic comment but he wisely kept his mouth closed. “Whenever you manage to get out of bed, breakfast is waiting downstairs….just heat it up. I’ve gotta go.”

 

“Thanks babe.” He reached out and caressed the palm of her hand. “I love you.”

 

“I love you too,” she replied and kissed him goodbye.

 

He regarded Evangeline until the door closed behind her reckoned he couldn’t stay in bed much longer. That morning he had an appointment with his lawyers to plan out a strategy for his custody battle to be resolved expeditiously. Neither himself, Evangeline and most importantly Starr wanted a long, drawn out court battle.

 

***

Stylz… 

 

Evangeline recalled the sorted memories of her last visit to Stylz Boutique. She and Nora were still close friends and were blowing part of RJ’s credit card on high fashion. It was also her first time meeting adorable little Starr and the disturbed Blair. But today it became the perfect setting for two sisters doing some last minute shopping.

 

“Did you warn Todd about spending time with me?” She asked a not too amused Evangeline, “Just making a small joke,” she immediately explained.

 

“We’re here to shop for some cute outfits. How does this look?” she asked pulling a black printed dress from the rack.

 

“Vange sometimes your fashion sense can be downright drab. How about…this dress?”

 

The purple, blue, red combination of triangles baffled her mind. “No way…I prefer this one better.” She showed her a dark brown silk dress.

 

“Boring…” Layla countered with a brown leather dress.

 

Evangeline felt her skin chafing. “Absolutely not!”

 

Layla had an idea. “Maybe today we can meet in the middle. I do realize that we have different tastes in clothes and men but I wonder how you would look in something I like.”

 

Evangeline placed her right hand firmly on her hip. “How is that compromising?”

 

Layla opened her mouth to respond but suddenly she averted her eyes.  

  

“Layla what is it?”

 

Then she inhaled the familiar scent. Strong arms encircled her waist and he whispered, “I feel the hours tick by when you’re not by my side my love,” and kissed her cheek.

 

Todd trailed Evangeline like a Doberman pinscher Layla thought.

 

“Baby,” she brightened turning slightly, “How did your meeting go?”

 

“I told them to get my daughter back or they’re fired... simple as that. Have you finished with shopping?”

 

“Not quite and you’re not going to interfere by rushing us along either.”

 

Layla sensed Todd leering at her which made her uncomfortable. “Vange I think we should go.”

 

“Are you sure? We haven’t really finished.”

 

“I skipped breakfast this morning so right now I’m pretty hungry.”

 

“I know a nice place where we can have your final meal in Llanview,” he offered.

 

In a past life Todd must have been an executioner. “I’m sure you do,” she curtly responded and hastily walked passed them.

 

“Should I ask what’s going on between the two of you?”

 

Todd shrugged, “The usual,” and left it at that.

 

***

 

They ate at a cozy Italian restaurant dining on individualized pizzas, sipping white wine.  Evangeline and Todd carried on an interesting conversation while Layla remained subdued for the most part. She only spoke briefly whenever Evangeline joined her in the conversation. Todd’s intrusion killed the enjoyment of her waning hours in Llanview..

 

She listened intently to Evangeline’s unfolding future. From an outsider’s prospective these two were moving way too fast but Evangeline always felt capable of taking on whatever challenges came her way unlike her. For now her future plans appeared to be either on hold or more worryingly out of reach.

Airport… 

Evangeline and Layla embraced as their eyes filled with tears. It would be awhile before they would see each other again. In a way she was glad to be getting the hell away from Llanview especially Todd Manning but she’d miss Evangeline.

 

“I’m really going to miss you.”

 

“I pray we won’t lose touch when I go away to law school.”

 

“Nah…I won’t let it happen. We’ll probably be emailing and sharing gossip on the phone. Whenever possible I’ll come and see you and I’m pretty sure that mom will too.”

 

Evangeline let out a heavy sigh. “I won’t hold my breath on that one.”

 

“I’ll work on it. Maybe as time goes on we’ll all come to accept Todd’s part in your life. Vange, don’t lose connection with your family back home.”

 

“I’ll try my best not to,” she replied wiping the tears from her eyes, “We’re the Williamson sisters…a couple of strong black women who can take on the world.”

 

“You really think so?” Layla asked skeptical. 

 

“By the time I’m finished with law school you’ll be miles ahead of me…opening another branch of your business.” She gently squeezed her hand. “You can and will do it Layla,” she encouraged her with confident head nod.

 

She hugged Evangeline again. The most awesome feeling Evangeline believing in her. She’ll need to work on believing in herself.

 

***

 

“What’s on the agenda?” she asked on the drive back to town. “Anywhere special you’ve planned for us?”

 

He replied, “Since Layla is gone we can go over to your place and start packing.”

 

Evangeline rolled her eyes. “Maybe its better I call Jessica to help me.” Todd helping her pack…bad idea.

 

“I’m going to help you,” he insisted.

 

Evangeline attempted to discourage him. “It may take a while.”

 

“No problem I have all the time in the world.”

 

***

 

As she expected no real packing got done that afternoon. She only managed to pack two suitcases when Todd proclaimed that the balance of her clothing should be thrown in the garbage. Evangeline preferred it to be donated to the Salvation Army.

 

“I’m going to buy you a new wardrobe you for the fall season,” he said, sitting on the edge of the bed, “My baby is going to look great in New York. Pick a card, gold, platinum or do you want cash?”

 

Evangeline shook her head and said, “Hold on Richie Rich…I’ve got a small present for you.” She searched the top shelf inside her closet. “Just know that it comes from the heart. Here…” She handed him 

 

He opened it to a black colored album with his name capitalized in gold lettering on the front cover and below a few lines read:

The sunshine through the rain

The light at the end of my dark tunnel

Words cannot express how much you mean to me. Evangeline 

“Oh wow. I love it.”

 

Inside the album there were various images chronicling their weekend at the lake house. One image in particular caught his attention. “When did you take this?” An image of him sleeping the caption at the bottom read: My sexy babe at rest

 

“At the perfect moment and that’s all I’m saying.”

 

“You’re so amazing,” He pulled her on top of him, kissing her then pulled off her blouse, loosening her bra…time for love in the afternoon.

 

***

 

Evening hadn’t yet cast its long shadow over the Llanview landscape. Evangeline propped up in bed stroking the back of Todd’s head as it rested in between her breasts. With her mother and sister gone her focus shifted to the volatile Blair Cramer ex Mrs. Todd Manning.

“Todd and I have a long history together. There isn’t anything or anyone that can separate us for too long. Enjoy the ride because it won’t last.”  

The question popped in her mind. “What did you see in her?”

 

“Huh…”

 

“Blair… Why did you keep going back to her? You knew what would happen in the end.”

 

He lifted his head thoughtfully then replied, “Well for many years I saw myself in her. We were two mixed up peas in a rotten pod and I probably felt at home in that mess. So easy to go back Starr was the only good that came out of our relationship. Of course I mainly went back because of Starr but I also thought…humph…someone like me couldn’t attract someone like you. Someone who is classy, intelligent, understands who I am…”

 

She was indifferent to his last comment and quietly asked, “Did you love her the way you love me now?”

 

He stared lovingly into her chocolate irises filled with so much emotion. “Nothing before compares with the love I feel for you,” he stressed in a suave tone, “But baby… you know how much I love you... I don’t understand.”

 

“I do but you’re my first love and…Am I your first love? I know it sounds foolish,” she half-smiled, “Forget I ask…,” she said dismissive. If Blair was his first love then she has something over me that I can never take away. I shouldn’t be jealous of that witch.

 

“Sweetheart it’s not a stupid question.” He briefly paused then continued, “If I die tomorrow I would die knowing that at last I’d found my one true love.” His right hand clasped her chin and his blue eyes gazed into hers so deeply that it touched her soul. “Every moment I’m with you my heart overflows with happiness. You’ve become an important part of me. This love I have for you will never go away.” It almost felt like the perfect moment to ask her but instead he enclosed her lips with a slow, deep, emotional kiss. His heartfelt words expressed very powerfully to her that his heart belonged to her alone.  

 

***

Evening… 

Blackstone Tavern where the beer is cold and the wings are hot! 

Certainly it was quite a departure from the elegant restaurants where they usually dined but he recalled the time at the museum when she said she’d prefer a beer and a pool game. He considered Blackstone Tavern to be the best option. It contained a couple of gimmicks such as the wide screen and the jukebox in the corner belting out classic rock hits but most customers enjoyed the atmosphere and of course the juicy buffalo wings smothered in Bill’s secret sauce.

 

***

 

Most of the regular male patrons gave Evangeline the once over. She strolled in confidently dressed in a burgundy wrapped around dress with four inch heels; hair amassed in tight curls and low-key makeup. Todd’s presence kept them respectful and he approached the bar with an arm around her waist.

 

“Hey Bill!”

 

“Hey Todd!” He and Bill shared a mutual respect for one another over many years. He would also be regarded as the only other man Todd gave a damn about. Bill put a burly arm around his shoulders then his eyes focused on Evangeline. “Who is this radiant beauty?”

“The woman I adore who has made my life complete.” Evangeline blushed at his compliment.  

Bill’s eyes brightened and he said, “Nice to meet you Todd’s sparkling, sensational...”

 

“Bill, please kill the cheesy adjectives.”

 

“Alright…what’s your name toots?”

 

“I didn’t say that you should talk out of your ass either.”

 

Evangeline laughed at the comical exchange. She extended a hand in greeting. “My name is Evangeline Williamson.”

 

“Bill Duncan, owner of this fine establishment.” He wiped his hands repeatedly before shaking her hand.

 

The handshake went on a bit too long for Todd. “Bill, cool it and get us a couple of beers and a plate of your hot wings.”

 

“I believe the beautiful lady deserves a glass of bubbly.”

 

Todd glared at him. “Beer, wings. We’ll be over in that corner.”

 

“Ms. Williamson, have a good evening,” he smiled.

 

“Thanks and have a wonderful evening yourself.”

 

“I didn’t know you had friends like Bill?”

“Well we’ve known each other for a long time. He’s more like an older brother.” It amazed Evangeline to hear him speak so well of another man. This Bill must be a pretty special guy. 

At the corner of his eyes Todd spied trouble in the form of a familiar red-head coming their way. Shit.

 

“Todd…Todd… Manning…it is you. I haven’t seen you in a long time.”

 

Todd’s features changed and Evangeline queried the red head. “Who are you?”

 

“The name’s Caroline. Todd and I dated…”

 

“One time,” he interjected, “and it was pretty horrible. The night we first met.” Caroline appeared to be a little tipsy precariously holding on to a beer bottle.

 

“Oh…”

 

“I believed I got dumped that same night too because you never called…I think. That night is so fuzzy… I don’t quite remember,” she giggled.

 

“She needs to stay away from the liquor,” Todd added, “Nice seeing you again but my girlfriend and I are on a date.”

 

“Do you mind girlfriend Todd owes me a kiss. Todd don’t you remember…,” she said reaching out to him. “That’s what a man gives a woman at the end of a date and you didn’t give me one,” she ended in a high pitched tone.

 

Todd sighed, “Oh Boy…”

 

“I don’t think I heard this bitch correctly,” an agitated Evangeline said with clinched fists.

 

Todd hugged her waist and whispered, “Evangeline relax. Obviously she’s drunk.” She took a long deep breath…obviously.

 

Caroline puckered up her lips and said, “Todd I’m waiting…”

 

“Drunk my ass…”

 

Todd steered Evangeline over to their table and yelled, “Bill, get her out of here!”

“I’ll take care of it. Paul!”  

She folded her arms and said, “I hope I don’t see anymore of your drunken ex-girlfriends tonight.”

 

“She’s not my ex-girlfriend,” he stated emphatically.

“Hey get your paws off me…Todd…call me…” 

Luckily Donna brought over their beers and explained that the wings would be ready in a few. In the meantime they were provided with nachos and dip to tide them over.

 

***

 

Meanwhile at Llanfair Vicki received an unforeseen phone call from Blair. 

Although Vicki tried to dissuade her Blair was persistent. “Vicki, why I can’t I come over this Sunday? It has never been a problem before.” 

“This Sunday won’t be good because… we’re entertaining other guests.”

“You’re having a party? Who is it for?” 

“No I’m not having a party just dinner for a couple of people.”

“Then I can still come. I promise not to interfere in whatever discussion...” 

“Blair, please…you can come over next Sunday,” she iterated.

“Something doesn’t seem right. It’s like you’re keeping something from me.” 

She calmly responded, “I’m not hiding anything.”

“Then we’ll see each other tomorrow night.”  

 

“Blair…” Vicki said, “Blair…hello…Blair…,” but she was gone. “Jessica! Jessica!”

 

***

 

The wings were very delicious however the Caroline incident changed her earlier upbeat attitude. Todd aimed to get their evening back on track.

 

“You know Bill has a private game room in the back.”

 

“Why doesn’t that surprise me,” she replied casually.

 

Todd massaged her shoulders and said, “It has a pool table in the center. I promise to spot you a game…”

 

Was he challenging her? “You’re not going to beat me in a pool game,” she gazed at him over her shoulder drinking her beer.

 

“Baby you can’t beat me at pool,” he replied confidently. “I grew up in pool halls while you were running around with ken and barbie.”

 

Uh…I never played with dolls. “It’s on now Manning.”

 

He sneaked in a kiss and softly said, “Yeah it’s going to be on all night long.”

 

“Baby that may be the case but first I’m going to beat your ass at pool,” she said rising.

He entwined their fingers responding, “We’ll see…” 

End Notes:
Sorry about the delay but work was calling. I believe I have one or two chapters left...I think...:)
Chapter 16 by chocolate470

Naturally Todd won the game…so he boasted. “Baby I told you about my mad skills… can’t keep a good man down.”

 

“Because you were such a big cheat,” she complained, “I had this game won until you distracted me.”

 

Todd stared at her flabbergasted. “By standing behind you, I cheated?”

 

Evangeline gripped the cue stick firmly. “Clearly you wanted to gain every advantage to prove your point.”

 

Todd put up his hands defensively. “I wanted to see the position of the balls. Clearly I could have done something else but I only walked past you to take a peak. What’s wrong with that? Am I in violation of some rule?”

 

“Admit it Todd you cheated.”

 

“I so did not cheat.”

 

“Yes you did.”

 

Todd shook his head. “No I did not. But I see what this is. Caroline got under your skin.”

 

Evangeline smirked, “Whatever…”

 

“You’re still upset that I stopped you from giving her a beat down,” he challenged, folding his arms, “Now you know how I feel when guys are gawking at you.”

 

She replied dismissively, “Oh please. I’m upset about a game which in my mind I won and…” A sweet kiss immediately silenced her. His lips were so soft…a damn good kisser.   “Hmmm…”

 

“What were you saying?”

 

“If you weren’t the love of my life…”

 

“Oh but I am…,” he replied with a wry smile, kissing her once more. “You’re so beautiful even when you want to beat my ass.” He smacked her ass hard causing her to flinch but it made mind reflect. “Wait here…I’ll be back shortly. We need a refill.” He grabbed the beer bottles and walked away. He felt her eyes on him. “Admiring the landscape?”

 

She sucked on her index finger. “Especially when it’s all mine...”

 

“All yours baby,” he winked at her over his shoulder.

 

***

 

While Todd was away, she spent her time idly playing a game. It brought back memories of hanging out in the Atlanta pool halls with her ex-boyfriend Darius. He considered himself the best damn pool player in Atlanta and made a living hustling his craft. He thought her some of the tricks promising that some day they’ll be the greatest tag team. Yeah the money would be rolling in. Soon he and his fake dreams disappeared from the scene and her life returned to normal.

 

“Baby…” Her eyes looked up to see him cradling a bouquet of red roses.

 

“Are you trying to make things up to me?”

 

“I’m not. You’ve already done that,” he smiled

 

“Then what’s the occasion?” Her eyes questioned.

 

“Come from behind the pool table and I’ll tell you.”

 

“Alright…” She carefully set the cue stick down. Suddenly she discovered a slight tension within herself.  “So what’s going on?” she asked as she approached him.

 

“Perhaps you may have an idea about what I’m going to ask you.”

 

“Perhaps but I’m not sure. This place is so different compared to what I might have expected.”

 

“When you look at it you see a game room but this place is very special to me. It’s where I found peace during much turmoil in my life. Call it my sanctuary and Bill my quiet observer through it all. When I was going through shit he gave me the space,” he said gazing around.

 

She added, “Inside this room.”     

 

“Yes. Look around and you’ll see. The walls carry many scars. Blair doesn’t know of this place. I have never brought her here.”

 

She gave the room a second look and did observe the many cracks and indentations scattered here and there. His life with Blair must have been pure hell. She said, “I could only imagine what you were going through,” and touched his cheek.

 

“Although we’ve come from different backgrounds, we’ve both been through much in our lives. Tonight everything is about to change for us,” he said offering her the bouquet. She inhaled its scent and her eyes smiled at him.  “Now I want this room to be remembered not for my sorrows but a triumph. I’ve finally moved on and found the woman with whom I want to share my world. Take away everything,” he said with eyes becoming full with tears, “but leave behind the two women that have made me the happiest man in this world.”

 

No use in wiping away the tears that were steadily rolling down her cheeks. Through the tears she whispered I love you so much. He was everything she wanted, needed, loved in a man. Yeah arrogant, white but include in that characterization sincerity, gentleness, pleasurable, loving.

 

He dropped to one knee and removed a gold Tiffany box from his breast pocket. “Uhmm…” His palms were sweaty which caused him a little trouble opening the box. Her heart eagerly waited for the next moment. Finally he succeeded and asked “Evangeline Williamson, will you do me honor of becoming my wife?” Her eyes widened at the sight of a huge pink diamond engagement ring surrounded by tiny white diamonds – the most beautiful ring she’d ever seen. “Baby…”

 

“Yes…yes…YES!” she happily exclaimed. He kissed her hand then slid the ring down her trembling finger. She was overcome with excitement – crying, laughing. He cried and laughed along with her. “My dreams are coming true.”

 

“Baby this is you and me…destiny,” he laughed passionately embracing and kissing her. He lifted her high in the air and spun her around the room. “Tell me you believe in our destiny.”

 

“Destiny!” she yelled.

 

“I love you…only you.” His mouth found hers again and their hearts were complete.

 

***

 

They went outside and were greeted by the steady sounds of applause coming from the tavern’s patrons. Evangeline somewhat embarrassed leaned against Todd who stood behind her with his arms encircling her waist.

 

Bill said, “Congratulations to the both of you,” and presented each with a glass of champagne. “I’m sure this isn’t quite the romantic setting that you had in mind for a proposal but we’re all pleased that Todd chose this place.”

 

“Wherever my future husband is that’s where I’m happiest.”

 

Aw!  Some nearby patrons expressed.

 

“And I’m happy when she’s happy.”

 

“Oh that ring is gorgeous!” Donna exclaimed, pressing a hand to her chest. “May I take a look at it?”

 

“Sure,” Evangeline acquiesced.

 

Donna took her hand and surveyed the ring closely. “Todd you’ve outdone yourself.”

 

He replied, “Only the best for my love,” and kissed the side of her forehead.

 

“Everyone raise their glasses! Bill toasted, “To Todd and Evangeline spend the rest of your days making each other happy!”

Here! Here! 

“Another round of drinks for everyone!” The crowd cheered again and many rushed to the front of the bar. “Of course our man Todd will take care of the tab,” he laughed.

 

“Yeah why not…,” he replied nonchalantly.

 

“Evangeline this guy truly loves you so much so that he’s made me insert a certain song into my jukebox.”

 

“Todd you didn’t?”

 

“Let’s just say I owe Bill big time.”

 

“Since you’re such a lovely woman I’ll give him a pass on this one. Here’s your coin... time to take a twirl.”

ba da ba da da da ah ya ya
ba da da da ba ba ee ah
Ba ya ya ba ba de ba da da da ah ya ya

ba da ba da da da ah ya ya
ba da da da ba ba ee ah
Ba ya ya ba ba de ba da da da ah ya ya
Ba ya ha ya ah ah ah ah ah ba ba ya ya
ha ah ah ah ah ah ah
 

There used to be a greying tower alone on the sea.
You became the light on the dark side of me.
Love remained a drug that's the high and not the pill
 

Todd sang along off key but Evangeline didn’t notice - tonight he had the most amazing voice.  

Donna said, “I almost gave up hope believing Todd would find love. But look at him.”

 

“Look at the both of them,” Bill replied, “Right now they are the only two people in the world to each other. I remember that feeling once.”

 

***

 

“Once again you know how to impress a lady my love.”

 

“My lady…,” he clarified, “After we leave here we’ll stop by the penthouse for an overnight bag then we’ll see where the night takes us.”

 

“I’m sure it will be exciting.”

 

***

 

He reserved a suite at the Great Inn located one mile outside of the Llanview suburbs – known for its exclusivity, intimate setting and luxurious rooms.

 

Their suite decorated with a variety of summer flowers, aromatic candles and red rose petals scattered over the bed…romantic instrumentals played softly in the background. After satisfying their hunger for one another, they drank more champagne and feasted on chocolate-covered strawberries.

 

“Your body…” The words fell from his lips as his eyes scanned the contours of her naked form.

 

“Admiring it before it get’s old and wrinkly,” she said from underneath, “I’ve got news for you…black don’t crack. We age like fine wine.”

 

He chuckled, “And what happens when my perfect body loses its luster.”

 

“I’ll remember the good times,” she laughed.

 

“But I promise to keep junior vigorous through our golden years.”

 

Her mind went in a different direction and she burst out laughing but then, “Ahhhh…hmmm…ohhhh.” She closed her eyes while his tongue sucked on the side of her neck and his shaft moved inside her.

 

“Evangeline, I love you always,” he softly said, hovering above her, preparing to penetrate even more deeply.

 

“Oh…Oh…,” Her legs gripped around his waist and her hands stroked his back as they rode into ecstasy. “I love you. I’ll never stop loving you.”

 

“Oh yeah...” he felt every muscle tightened with his thrusts becoming faster and deeper. Her walls increasingly molded itself around his erection while her moans and shallow breathing equaled his own.

 

“That’s it baby…I love how to you put it on me…hmmm…”

 

“Fuck!”

 

“AH!” “OH!” An intense orgasm rocked their bodies and she fell back stretching out her legs and arms with Todd breathing deeply on her left shoulder.

 

Being in love is such an awesome feeling and the promise of forever made it more wonderful. After a few moments they shared a smile and pressed swollen lips together into a soft kiss.

 

She said, “Thank you for coming into my life and fighting for us to be together.”

 

He replied, “Thank you for accepting and loving me.”

 

Everything had been accomplished for one evening and they soon feel asleep.

 

***

 

Sunday morning his eyelids fluttered half-open to see Evangeline lovingly staring at him. The sunlight streaming from outside haloed her face – she looked like an angel.

 

“Uhmmm….Morning my beautiful angel…,” he smiled and stirred himself awake.

 

“Good morning sexy,” she kissed him, “What do you want for breakfast?”

 

“You,” he seriously replied, drawing her closer.

 

“That can be arranged for later but I’m starving.”

 

“But I’m starving for you. Don’t deny me,” he whispered, “You know how much I need you...especially now.” His right hand massaged her inner thighs and his mouth latched on to a swollen nipple.

 

“Todd...,” she said in a breathy tone succumbing to his sexual onslaught. Breakfast would have to wait but she hoped not too long.

 

***

 

La Boulaie

 

During the week Starr avoided her mother as much as possible – terrified of her unpredictable mood swings. When she called her father, she pretended like everything was fine – making him laugh, telling him fictionalize stories about her day. With Evangeline in his life Todd seemed to be giddy with happiness and she didn’t want to bring him down with more bad news about her mother. Having atypical parents like Todd and Blair made her wise beyond her years and to the drama that surrounded their lives. Her father wanted out of the relationship while her mother wanted him to stay. He loved her once but not anymore and often complained about Blair’s propensity for ruining his few happy moments. Somewhere her daddy was happy and she didn’t want to ruin it for him not like her mother has done.

 

Today of all days she wished Dorian hadn’t gone away for the weekend. After receiving a call Blair lit into her about her messy room, how she needed to clean it up right away and what would happen if she refused to do so.

 

***

 

Shower, dress, breakfast – egg omelets, toast and freshly squeezed orange juice. Todd commented about the juice and she quipped, “I don’t like too many things artificial if you get my meaning.”

 

“Hey I’ve just realized that we haven’t set a date. I know how you women are.”

 

“Exactly how are we women.”

 

“The fairytale weddings sort of like Princess Diana and Prince Charles…the perfect dress…”

 

“Excuse me… I consider myself a Queen.”

 

“So that makes me your King right…right.”

 

“No it makes you Prince Phillip,” she teased. Todd shook his head in dismay. “Oh come on baby you’re the King of my heart.”

 

He replied in an Elvis-like tone, “Thank you…thank you very much.”

 

“To be honest… I haven’t thought about it. I got caught up in the now and not what happens after,” she said, sipping her juice.

 

Todd sensed a little sadness. “Babe, what’s up?”

 

“One of the happiest moments in my life and we really don’t have anyone to share it with,” she explained with downcast eyes.

 

He gave her hand a reassuring squeeze and said, “For the time being all we have is each other. Eventually your family will come to realize that you made the right choice. I’ll prove it to them.”

 

“You don’t need to prove anything. My heart…”

His cell phone went off – an incoming message. “This better be important.” His eyes read the surprising message. It read: your daughter needs you right now. 

Evangeline gave him a perplexed look. “We’ve gotta leave,” he said anxiously, “Something is going on with Starr.”

 

***

 

“Starr, what are you doing?”

 

“I’m…”

 

She barely gave Starr an opportunity to respond when she said, “Look at this mess,” picking up some toys strewn across the floor.

 

“But mom I’m doing what you told me.”

 

“Well you’re not doing it fast enough.” Then she quickly changed her train of thought. “Do you know what your father is trying to do?” Starr shook her head. “He’s trying to take you away from me…calling me an unfit mother…the nerve of your father. I’m not a bad mother. I’m trying the best I can,” she cried and tossed one of the toys against the floor. “He’s not here day after day to understand.”

 

Starr stood silent unsure of what to do or how to comfort her mother.

 

“I know you miss your father. I-I miss him too. Here he is running around with that slut.” She gripped Starr’s tiny hands. “He doesn’t care. He’s stop caring about us but it’s because of her. Evangeline has done this to us. She has destroyed our chance of a happy family.”

 

***

 

Todd sped through the quiet neighborhoods not knowing what to expect when they arrived. It wasn’t clear who sent the message or why the message was sent. Was it real or was someone playing a sick joke? Yet his heart couldn’t take if anything happened to Starr and he took the words seriously.

 

Periodically he’d glimpsed at Evangeline – her serene countenance calmed his anxiety a little. She said, “Baby, I’m sure she’s alright.”

 

“For Blair’s sake she better be,” he replied.

 

Upon their arrival he rushed up to the front door. He didn’t ring the bell instead pounded on the door shouting for someone to let him in.

 

When Estella opened the door she said, “Mr. Manning…”

 

“Where’s Starr?” he asked angrily.

 

“Upstairs in her room with her mother,” she replied.

 

“Baby, wait down here,” he said and raced up the stairs.

 

***

 

Todd knocked at her bedroom door. “Starr…sweetheart…I’m here. Open up the door for daddy.”

 

Blair glared at her saying, “You called your father.”

 

“No…” but she immediately left her mother’s side and opened the door. “Daddy…” 

 

He lifted her into his arms, embracing her tightly then checked for any visible signs of bruising. He let out a sigh of relief when he didn’t find any but was still resigned to take her away with him. “I’m taking her to my penthouse.”

 

“Todd, what are you doing here? You can’t take her anywhere. We made a deal!”

 

His eyes briefly studied Blair’s unkempt appearance – tousled hair, tear-stained face, and the bandage on her hand. Something was going on in the room before he came.

 

“I don’t care about any deals. I’m not getting into any arguments with you about our daughter. She’s leaving with me.”

 

“Starr tell your father that you want to stay with me,” her eyes pleaded, “Please…tell him everything is ok and that he’s overreacting as usual.”

 

Starr replied, “I-I want to go with daddy.”

 

“Don’t you love me Starr?”

 

“Blair, enough of this...”

 

“I love you mom but something is wrong with you.” She leaned her head against his shoulder.

 

Blair gathered her tresses and said, “Nothing is wrong with me. You can’t do this Todd. I am her mother and I know my rights.”

 

“And I’m her father and I have a right to protect her.”

 

“Protect her from what?!”

 

“Starr wants to go with me.”

 

“We’ll just see about that. I’m going downstairs to call my lawyer,” she ended and walked out.

 

***

 

Starr worryingly gazed at her father. “Don’t listen to your mother,” he reassured her, “I’ll make sure you’re safe and away from this place. Let’s grab some of your things and get out of here.”

 

***

 

Evangeline was left alone in the entryway while Estela returned to her duties. She could only assume what was happening upstairs especially with Todd and Blair battling out. Although she wanted to join in the fray, she cared too much about Starr’s well-being. But the eerie silence downstairs didn’t make her wait any easier so she decided to go into the living room. As long as the bitch didn’t come down and attack her then she’d allow Todd to take care of it.

 

***

 

She lied instead of calling her lawyer she stood at the foot of the stairs, planning her next move. She had little to no options. In a matter of months the bitch Evangeline had taken away from her what took years to create – her family.

 

She heard them coming down the stairs and turned to face them. “Todd I’m not going to allow you to break apart our family.”

 

“Get out of my way Blair.”

 

“NO!” she screamed in an irrational tone

 

“Daddy…” Starr said frightened.

 

“Everything is going to be alright Starr…go upstairs…go to your room and I’ll come get you.” Starr slowly crept back up the stairs.

  

“So what are you going to do?”

 

“Say you’ll come back to me and nothing will happen,” she said tearfully. He couldn’t fathom why the hell she was referring to until she pulled out a small hand gun. “Stay right where you are or I’ll shoot.”

 

Blair has a gun…so what. He doubted she really planned on using it. “This is what you want Starr to remember…you killing her father,” he said coolly.

 

“It doesn’t matter. She already hates me. At least that bitch won’t have you. She’s ruined my life with you. She’s ruined our future together.”

 

“Blair, give me the gun,” he commanded.

 

“NO! Blair shot a round past him showing that she meant business then placed the muzzle to her temple.

 

The sudden noise alerted Evangeline and she crept up to the doorway, peeking outside.

 

“Is this better Todd? Will it be better for you if I killed myself then all your troubles will be over?”

 

“Don’t do it Blair. You’re still Starr’s mother. She loves you.”

 

“But you want to take her away forever because of that bitch.” Again she pointed the gun at him. “I love you Todd. Why can’t you love me anymore? Don’t tell me you love her more than you love me.”

 

“I’ve moved on with my life and you need to do the same.”

 

She started to cry uncontrollably. “We shared some good times and you want to wipe away that history because of her but she can never….”  Bang! Evangeline hit her over the head with a vase which caused the gun to simultaneously go off, shooting a bullet up into the ceiling. Blair lay on the floor moaning, bleeding from her head wound.

 

“Baby, are you alright?”

 

“Come here…” She went into his warm embrace. “Huh ….that was close and me without my bullet proof vest.”

 

She half-smiled, “Not funny Todd,” and gently kissed him.  

 

“Thankfully you were here as my lovely bodyguard.”

 

“Yes indeed. Where’s Starr?”

 

“Shit I’ve got to go and check on her.”

 

“I’ll take care of things down here.”

 

***

 

“Starr…”

 

“Daddy…you’re ok.

 

“Yes baby.”

 

“How’s mommy?”

 

“Don’t worry Starr. She’s going to be fine. She’s going to get the help she needs.”

End Notes:
Only one more chapter left then you'll be rid of me...LOL!
Chapter 17 by chocolate470

The gravity of Blair’s mental crisis became clearer to Todd as the morning unfolded and when the ambulance arrived he decided to tag along. Starr’s care was entrusted to a supportive Evangeline.

“How are you doing Starr?” Evangeline asked while driving towards the direction of the Penthouse. Starr was much too quiet in the backseat.

She replied, “Ok,” and held on to her teddy bear more closely.

What to say to a little girl who must be inwardly devastated by her mother’s situation? Should she say anything? Starr put forward a brave front; not asking about the details as if she understood what needed to be accomplished. Earlier she stood silently gazing at the departing ambulance. Clearly she’d been through much in her four years on earth than she ever did. She recalled telling Nora that you can’t choose your parents.

“Evangeline, you have a pretty ring on your finger.”

So she noticed. Evangeline saw her eyes light up in the overhead mirror. “Your father gave it to me.”

“Are you two getting married?” This kid is way too smart. Since she has known her this is the second time she has thrown her a curve ball. She didn’t know how to respond. She always thought that she and Todd would tell her…together. “It’s on that finger.”

“Well…”

“I know my daddy will ask you because you make him happy.”

“He makes me happy too,” she smiled.

Then suddenly Starr altered her countenance. “Mommy is so unhappy. I know one day she’ll be happy too just like you and daddy.”

“I’m sure she will,” she replied sincerely.

***

Privacy would be his parting gift to her. The treatments and its inevitable costs he would handle discreetly not only for her sake but primarily because of Starr. Regardless of his disgust for the woman, she was still Starr’s mother.

“Todd you’re here.” Blair woke up bright, alert. Todd had on a crisp blue shirt that brought out his eyes. Reality soon set in – the white walls, hospital bed, bandage on around her head and the IV drip in her arm. “Where am I?” she asked horrified.

“Where you need to be,” he responded dryly.

“Why?”

Was she fucking kidding him? Well either she couldn’t remember or was trying her best not to. Whatever it was he had little sympathy. “Because once again Blair you’ve fucked up.” Blair stared at him quite confused. “Don’t tell me you don’t remember what you did?”

“I don’t remember!”

“Then let me enlighten you.” He paced the floor back and forth recounting the events that brought them to this point. “I received an urgent text message about Starr and when I arrived I told you that I was taking her back to the penthouse. We got into it but then you told me you were going downstairs to call your lawyer but instead of calling your lawyer,” He positioned himself to face Blair. “You tried to kill me, then yourself, then me again. You even shot at me.”

“Impossible,” she smirked, “Then why am I the one laying in this hospital bed.”

“Evangeline saved me.”

“That bitch again. She’s always butting into our lives. Why haven’t you told her?”

“What the fuck are you talking about now?”

“That we’ve gotten back together.”

Definitely she needed psychiatric help. “Blair we’re not back together. Evangeline and I are getting married.”

“The Hell You Are!” She gave him a fiery stare but Todd stood stoic. “You Fucking Bastard Say Something!” But when he refused to say anything more Blair went psychotic – tearing off her IV, leaping off the bed yelling, “You can’t do this to me! I know what you’re trying to do you bastard!” Todd pressed a button and two nurses rushed into the room, grabbing her, preventing her from attacking Todd. He pushed aside a stray hair, watching Blair’s hysteria. “Let me go! I’m not crazy,” she struggled, “You’re not going to lock me away! Let me go!”

“I haven’t done this to you. You’ve done this to yourself.”


Then her face turned. “You…” Evangeline appeared out of nowhere.

Surprised to see me bitch? I’m grateful for everything you’ve given me – Todd and that cute little daughter of yours.

“No…no…no…”

Yes…yes…yes…my new family. You need to figure it out Blair or you’re going to be strapped to a bed for a long, long time.

“NO!” One of the nurses gave her an injection to quiet her down. “You can’t…huh…” They helped her to the bed and reattached her IV. That was enough Blair drama and he gave her one last disgusted look before exiting the room.

***

He arrived at the penthouse mentally fatigued. He endured a long session with her attending physician and was also introduced to the psychiatrist that would be her primary caregiver at St. Ann’s Hospital.

“Evangeline, Starr…,” he called out to no one. Where were they? He needed a quick reminder of how much his life had changed and to look ahead to the future. He soon found them asleep on the living room couch – Evangeline’s arms draped around Starr’s shoulders. Mr. Bear, Mrs. Rabbit and Starr’s tea set lay on the floor. He marveled at the adorable scene…no need to disturb them. He took off his shoes and approached, giving them each small pecks on the cheeks.

He unbuttoned his shirt half-way and strolled to his balcony. Outside the once blue skies turned grey and after a short time it started raining. He closed his eyes, inhaling the fresh scent, running his hands through his hair. When was the last time he actually took the time to breathe? ...To really enjoy his new found love and happiness without others interference? Maybe this was the beginning. He sensed her presence.

Lay your troubles on my shoulders
Put your worries in my pocket
Rest your love on me awhile


She asked, “How did it go?” and snuggled close to him.

He moved her in front him and said, “The doctors finally saw for themselves what I was talking about. In the end she discovered what I was doing but by that time it was too late. How is my little sweetheart coping?”

“She understands that her daddy will take care of everything. Hey you missed out on a great tea party. We had imaginary cookies and ice cream but the tea was the most important part.”

“Starr really knows how to throw a tea party,” then he briefly paused, “I called Jessica and told her what went on.”

“I guess dinner’s off.”

“No she said she still planned on having dinner and asked if we would still come. I told her I’ll ask you.”

“It’ll be great to go out and interact with the rest of your family.”

“Doubt my sister will be around. As we speak, she’s probably rushing over to Blair’s side when she has a brother and niece that need her.”

Deep down she knew Todd craved his sister’s approval and it irked him when Blair seemed to get the attention he deserved. “Baby I’m here,” she said, gliding her fingers along his forearms.

He whispered, “I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

“You should know Starr has figured out that we’re getting married.”

“The ring…”

“Well she noticed it on my finger and quickly made the assumption.”

“Smart kid… I wonder if she’ll grow up to be a smart ass like her father.”

Evangeline kept mum with a wry smile on her lips. Todd lightly kissed her shoulder. The rain was really coming down and she stared at it reflectively. The last days of summer were swiftly approaching. “We need to talk to her about New York.”

“She’ll be happy to get out of Llanview. I know I am. Honey when will we get married?”

Todd sounded anxious and she said, “My love it seems you’ve set a date.”

“A week from today...if it’s possible…” He leaned his head over and kissed her lips emphatically.

“Done…”

“I love it when we can agree.”

***

If Starr was still broken up about her mother’s situation she did her best to keep it hidden. Father, daughter and Evangeline played games on the beige, carpeted living room floor with plenty of squeals and giggles in between.

“Sweetheart, Evangeline and I need to talk to you real serious.”

“About what daddy?”

“Soon you, me and Evangeline are going to live in New York. We won’t be staying in Llanview for a long time.”

“Oh…How far away is New York?”

“Not that far baby,” Evangeline replied, “It’s a big city with bright lights. There are many things to do and places to go.”

“You’ll never get bored,” Todd added, “I’ll show you where it is on a map.” He searched amongst the scattered periodicals on the coffee table and found a guide to New York.

“Whoa,” she said when she viewed some of the colorful pictures, “It’s beautiful.”

“That’s Times Square,” Evangeline pointed out.

“Do people sleep with so many lights?”

“Yeah I guess they’re used to it by now.”

“Daddy, will we come back to see mommy sometimes?”

“Sure…we’ll come back to visit your mommy,” he assured her.

“Ok.” She seemed satisfied. “Evangeline tell me more about New York.”

***

Evening…

Llanfair…


“Congratulations.” Jessica hugged them both as they entered through the doors. She too gushed over the size and coloring of Evangeline’s ring, speculating how much her Uncle actually paid for it. “It must have cost you a small fortune.”

“I’m not telling,” he smiled.

For Starr she had an especially long, warm hug. “How are you?”

“Fine,” Starr replied, “We’re going to live in New York.”

“I’m already jealous,” Jessica teased.

“I’m going to miss you Cousin Jessica.”

“Oh I’ll miss you too but I’m sure we’ll see each other again.”

“Yes daddy promised.”

“Dinner isn’t quite ready as yet but we can all wait in the living room.”

All walked towards the living room. Immediately Starr grabbed the remote, sat on the couch and tuned into her favorite Disney Channel.

“Jessica, I really need your help. Your Uncle wants me to plan this wedding within a week.”

“Hey you agreed,” Todd interjected.

“I’m surprised he waited this long.” Both women laughed. “I’ll give you whatever help you need.”

“Thanks so much. I’m also asking if you could be… my Maid of Honor. After all the support you have shown us, I feel like it’s an appropriate request.”

“Of course.” She hugged her again. “It will be a great honor.”

“Alright my love now that we’ve gotten that cleared, I need to speak to my niece.”

“Excuse me Jessica I forgot something in the car.” It was a little surprise that she and Todd had picked out especially for Jessica.


***

“I’m surprised the Mexican isn’t here.”

“Uncle Todd, he’s not a Mexican, he’s Puerto Rican. Right now he’s working. I didn’t have this dinner because of Antonio if that’s what you’re insinuating. What do you want to tell me?”

“First I want to say thanks. It feels good knowing we have someone on our side for a change.”

“Family supports family and you’re the most fun Uncle except when you’re testing my patience,” she smiled.

“Secondly and most importantly while I’m away, you’ll be in charge of the Sun.” She looked at him stunned. “I know I haven’t shown it much but I trust your judgment. Just don’t change it too much.” His way of saying he was giving her permission to do whatever the hell she wanted with it.

“What about Dave?” Todd’s Senior Editor…

“He and I will have a talk.” It wouldn’t be easy but he had way of convincing.

She embraced him and said, “Thanks for believing in me Uncle Todd.”

“Understand Jessica that this is very hard for me.” The Sun had become a vital part of his life – one of the few things he got right. “I’m willing to make this sacrifice for her but I expect you make damn sure that it stays on top.”

“Promise I won’t let you down.”

***

Meanwhile…

It surprised her to see Vicki coming up the driveway.

“Evangeline…”

“Vicki…” She saw confliction in her eyes.

“Jessica told me about Todd’s proposal…congratulations.” Her eyes briefly scanned her left hand.

“Thanks,” she replied dryly – a forced congratulation.

“With Blair’s downward spiral I’m sure the decision to live in New York became quite easy,” she said in a terse tone. “I hope you allow Starr to visit from time to time.”

Evangeline bit her tongue and said, “I know you have mixed feelings about my relationship with Todd.”

“True,” she said interlocking her fingers. “You must understand that I’ve been through a lot of these breakups and make ups between the two of them.”

She replied, “Humph…,” and looked at her. “You must also understand that the era of Todd and Blair is over,” she said plainly, “We are very much in love and are committed to creating a new future together. You and I may never like each other but because you are Todd’s sister I’ll have a measure of respect for you. I hope you give me that same sort of respect.” Vicki thought about it for a moment and gave her a quick nod in agreement.

***

The two developed a formal truce and dinner proceeded accordingly. The gift of a diamond bracelet was a hit with Jessica. Todd and Vicki uttered a few words between each other and the subject of Blair was never brought up. For the most part the adults paid Starr much attention. She enjoyed telling them her fantastic fairytales – signs of a future career in writing Todd thought.

***

Their sunset wedding took place on the beautiful lawns of the Llanview Country Club and featured a private gathering of Todd’s closest associates, family and staff from the Sun. “At Last” played as Evangeline strolled down the aisle alone in a Vera Wang strapless, wedding gown with a fitted bodice that flared at the bottom. Her hair styled in a French bon with curls accenting her face. Makeup – earthy tones except for her cranberry, cocktail lip color. The necklace that he gave her sparkled in the waning sunlight. When they gazed into each other’s emotion-filled eyes their hearts felt complete. Love is such a splendid thing when it’s so right.

Starr stood between them as they expressed their vows of love, devotion and commitment.

You know how hard I tried to runaway from your love because I was afraid of experiencing heartbreak. Still you loved me when sometimes I couldn’t see what you saw in me. We are one love, one heart, one family. Absolutely no one can take that away from us. I can never love any other man the way that I love you.

From the moment I first saw you I knew... I knew. I felt that connection. There were those who wanted us to end before we ever started but they never had a chance because you stood up for us against friends, family who didn’t want to see what we saw, what we felt in our hearts. Everyday that passes I love you even more. Today when I place this ring on your finger consider it forever.


Reception…

Jessica did a superb job with the decorations and floral arrangements in the club’s ballroom. The guests dined on a four-course meal and were treated with champagne and chocolate fountains flowing in the center of the hall.

Todd and Evangeline took to the floor for their First Dance as a married couple. “Endless Love” was the chosen tune. The song expressed their deepest emotions towards each other.

After taking a myriad of pictures, dancing and speaking with invited guests, they retreated to a private room on the second floor decorated for the special occasion with classic romantic tunes playing in the background.

No more lonely nights
No more lonely nights
You’re my guiding light
Day or night I’m always there


She plopped down on the couch. A quiet Todd affectionately stared at her while removing her heels and massaging her tired feet.

She happily sighed and reached out to him. “Mr. Manning you’re looking quite dashing this evening.”

“Mrs. Manning you look absolutely exquisite.” They shared a sweet kiss. “My love I’m having a hard time…”

“Be patient my love. Soon the night will be ours. Your guests will be long gone.”

The fact didn’t escape him that they were mainly his guests…her choice not to invite her family. “When do you plan on telling them?”

It hurt that fear precluded her from inviting them. Lisa would be so pissed off but she couldn’t think about it. Their happiness superseded anything else. “I don’t know. Maybe after six months,” she smiled, “Or maybe they’ll find out on their own. I didn’t want my mother to interfere or express her feelings. This day belongs to you and me.”

“And our love…be patient you say.”

“Yeah,” but again she was giving in to his tongue parting her lips and his hands lifting her dress.

May I never miss the thrill nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah
Of being near you nahnahnahnahnahnahnah
And if it takes a couple of years to turn you tears to laughter
I will do, What I feel, to be right


Suddenly there was a small knock on the door. “Daddy, Evangeline…Cousin Jessica says time to cut the cake.”

“Saved by the knocking of our little Princess. Let’s go.”

“Very ingenious of Jessica to send our baby upstairs to get us but I’m not going to let you.”


“Daddy…*knock, knock, knock* daddy…I want to eat cake.”

***

They honeymooned in the Hamptons and she considered it their last hooray before the real task of beginning part of their lives in New York. The future both thrilled and frightened her but with Todd by her side there were limitless possibilities.

***

Three months later and they adjusted to life in New York. They rented an upscale, three- bedroom penthouse located two blocks away from the University. While Starr attended Catherine’s Academy, Todd worked on a new internet business venture. Time was divided between school, work, and their family.

In the beginning it was quite the rollercoaster but things gradually settled into a routine as time went on. She looked forward to the end of the Fall semester and her first Christmas with Todd and Starr. They already gave each other the perfect gift.

***

It’s been a while since the trees lost their remaining foliage and New York turned into a winter wonderland but today the rays of the sun peeked out long enough for them to venture on a family outing.

From an adjacent bleacher, she kept an inquisitive eye on Todd teaching Starr how to skate on the outdoor rink.

“Evangeline…”

Her face turned towards a familiar voice. “Bryce…It’s so good to see you.” Bryce was one of her better ex-boyfriends from Atlanta – not too bad of a record. He had a smile to warm your heart but there were two sides to his personality.

“It’s great to see you too. You’re looking gorgeous.” Evangeline reluctantly smiled. “Your mom tells me that you’re studying to be a lawyer. How is it going?” He asked as he took a seat beside her.

“The work is challenging but I’m up to the task…so far so good. What are you doing in New York?”

“A little of this, a little of that, hoping to get my life and trace and back in contact with you. Never knew that I’d find you all bundled up out here. Want to go for a skate?”

This conversation was suddenly turning awkward. “No I can’t…”


“Hey! Who the hell are you?” Todd’s irritated voice came from a short distance away. He quickly skated towards the barrier and hoisted Starr over to where Evangeline was seated.

Bryce stood up abruptly. “What do you mean who the hell I am white boy? Evangeline and I go way back. She was once my girl. ” Todd raised an eyebrow.

“Bryce, settle down.”

“And I’m her husband who doesn’t like old boyfriends getting cozy with his wife!” Todd replied angrily. Evangeline covered her face and prayed the situation didn’t get out of control.

“Married? Your moms didn’t tell me you were married,” he said in an incredulous voice.

My mother is involved in this? “She doesn’t know everything about my life. Did she set you up to do this?”

“Nah…,” he replied not too convincingly, “Your moms is good people. Evangeline I’m disappointed in you.”

“Bryce, leave now before I set my husband after your sorry ass.”

Bryce straightened his coat and tipped his head.

“Get outta of here!” Todd yelled.

***

The whole Bryce incident upset Evangeline so much that she immediately called Lisa.

“Hello mom…”

“Cookie…it’s good to hear your voice.”

Todd took the phone away. “Mrs. Williamson, your son-in-law wants to remind you to stop butting in our lives because we are very, very happy.”

“Bastard! Put my daughter back on the phone!”

“We plan on visiting you real soon to give you a happy surprise.”

“WHAT! I don’t want to see…”

“Mom, stop doing this because you’re hurting me. I love Todd and your interference isn’t going to change that fact.”

“He’s not right for you.”

“Bye mom…”

Seeing her unhappiness, Starr embraced her warmly. She placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head. This sweet angel was her daughter and no one could tell her differently.

“I hope, as time goes by, I don’t behave like my mother,” she said soberly.

Todd cupped her chin and said, “Baby, you will always be the most amazing wife and mother.”

“You’re so sweet,” she brightened.

He kissed her softly then said, “It’s the truth and I believe it with all my heart. I love you.”

“I love you so much and I love our family. We are each other’s destiny.”


Sent from heaven

When love won't let you, walk away
And you can't help who you love
And you find yourself giving it away
When you think you're in love

I wanna be the one who you believe
In your heart is sent from (sent from heaven)
There's a piece of me who leaves when you gone
Because you're sent from (sent from heaven)
I wanna be the one who you believe
In your heart is sent from (sent from heaven)
There's a piece of me who leaves when you gone
Because you're sent from (sent from heaven)

End Notes:

So I had an image thanking all those who supported this story but at work they have taken off a lot of things off the computer...so sorry!

I WANT TO THANKS FOR SUPPORTING! THANKS FOR READING! THANKS FOR POSTING A REVIEW!

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=600