Love Is Never Gone by pinkrose
Summary:

banner 

This is a General Hospital fan fic that takes place in 2014.  When Keesha Ward left the show in 1998, she returned to Philadelphia to tend to her sick father.  In my story, Keesha also found out she was pregnant by A.J. Quartermaine.  She gave birth to a daughter, Julianna Mae Ward, and has remained in her family home all this time.  She studied to become a nurse and had a successful career until a diseased liver brings her closer to death than life, and she decides it's time to let A.J. know he has a daughter.

Other PCers are also in this story.  Sonny and Carly Corinthos have died.


Categories: Daytime Television, General Hospital Characters: Keesha Ward
Classification: Alternate Universe
Genre: Drama, Family, Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: Original Characters
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 64 Completed: Yes Word count: 151015 Read: 363554 Published: 15/07/08 Updated: 26/08/08
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1 by pinkrose

2. Chapter 2 by pinkrose

3. Chapter 3 by pinkrose

4. Chapter 4 by pinkrose

5. Chapter 5 by pinkrose

6. Chapter 6 by pinkrose

7. Chapter 7 by pinkrose

8. Chapter 8 by pinkrose

9. Chapter 9 by pinkrose

10. Chapter 10 by pinkrose

11. Chapter 11 by pinkrose

12. Chapter 12 by pinkrose

13. Chapter 13 by pinkrose

14. Chapter 14 by pinkrose

15. Chapter 15 by pinkrose

16. Chapter 16 by pinkrose

17. Chapter 17 by pinkrose

18. Chapter 18 by pinkrose

19. Chapter 19 by pinkrose

20. Chapter 20 by pinkrose

21. Chapter 21 by pinkrose

22. Chapter 22 by pinkrose

23. Chapter 23 by pinkrose

24. Chapter 24 by pinkrose

25. Chapter 25 by pinkrose

26. Chapter 26 by pinkrose

27. Chapter 27 by pinkrose

28. Chapter 28 by pinkrose

29. Chapter 29 by pinkrose

30. Chapter 30 by pinkrose

31. Chapter 31 by pinkrose

32. Chapter 32 by pinkrose

33. Chapter 33 by pinkrose

34. Chapter 34 by pinkrose

35. Chapter 35 by pinkrose

36. Chapter 36 by pinkrose

37. Chapter 37 by pinkrose

38. Chapter 38 by pinkrose

39. Chapter 39 by pinkrose

40. Chapter 40 by pinkrose

41. Chapter 41 by pinkrose

42. Chapter 42 by pinkrose

43. Chapter 43 by pinkrose

44. Chapter 44 by pinkrose

45. Chapter 45 by pinkrose

46. Chapter 46 by pinkrose

47. Chapter 47 by pinkrose

48. Chapter 48 by pinkrose

49. Chapter 49 by pinkrose

50. Chapter 50 by pinkrose

51. Chapter 51 by pinkrose

52. Chapter 52 by pinkrose

53. Chapter 53 by pinkrose

54. Chapter 54 by pinkrose

55. Chapter 55 by pinkrose

56. Chapter 56 - Part 1 by pinkrose

57. Chapter 56 - Part 2 by pinkrose

58. Chapter 57 by pinkrose

59. Chapter 58 by pinkrose

60. Chapter 59 by pinkrose

61. Chapter 60 by pinkrose

62. Chapter 61 by pinkrose

63. Epilogue - Part 1 by pinkrose

64. Epilogue - Part 2 by pinkrose

Chapter 1 by pinkrose

LOVE IS NEVER GONE

The Year: 2014

Chapter 1

A.J. Quartermaine released a deep breath and rubbed his sweaty palms together as he observed the modest, two-story house on the corner of Arch and Spruce Streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He tried to tell himself the humidity of the hot summer day was causing him to perspire, but he knew better. He'd had a feeling of unease and restlessness since receiving her letter.

Now, staring at the light blue house with dark blue trim, a well-kept lawn and a hedge that seemed to divide the property line, he wondered if he'd made the right choice. He questioned, for what seemed like the hundredth time, whether or not he'd read her letter correctly. She did want him to visit, didn't she?

Before climbing the four concrete steps which would lead him to her door, he pulled the envelope from his jacket pocket and read the address on the return label one more time to make sure he had the right house: 2501 Arch Street. He had the right address. But did he have the right to show up so unexpectedly?

He pulled the letter from the envelope, read her handwritten words one more time, and told himself she was expecting him. True, he hadn't called her first, but that was because she had not provided a phone number, only an address. He could have called information to find out if she was listed, but he took her not providing a phone number to mean she wanted to see him. Bolstered once more by his own deductive reasoning, faulty though it may be, he returned the letter to its envelope and the envelope to his pocket, released one more deep breath, and then, before any more doubts could assail his already overworked and overwrought mind, he rang the doorbell. Anxiety and a sense of dread filled every ounce of his body, but somewhere, deep down, he knew excitement waited to make itself known. If only the letter he possessed meant what he thought, no make that hoped, it might.

At least ten different greetings swam through his mind as he waited for someone, anyone, to arrive. When the door, painted the same light blue as the rest of the outside of the house, was finally pulled back, all thought left his brain. His mouth turned to cotton. He could utter no sound.

"Yes?" an attractive young female, with flawless skin the color of caramel, asked. "May I help you?"

A.J. did not recognize the face or the voice, but he would know those eyes anywhere. They mirrored his own. Was it possible? Could it be? Was this the reason she had written him a letter?

The teen-ager, who looked to be about sixteen, waited for her guest to identify himself.

"May I help you?" she asked again, starting to sound bored when no words were forthcoming from A.J.

"I-I'm sorry. I-I'm here to see Keesha Ward. Is she available?"

"May I tell her who you are?"

"Yes. Please do. My name is A.J. Quarter-"

A.J. had no sooner started to say his last name when the door slammed shut in his stunned face.

Chapter 2 by pinkrose

Chapter 2

"Julianna," said a weak female voice from a room near the back of the house that had been converted into a bedroom, "who was at the door?"

"Just a neighbor asking how you were feeling," Julianna said, unwilling to tell her mother the truth.

She approached Keesha's bedroom and stepped inside.

"I said you were resting."

Keesha nodded. Julianna crossed to her mother's bed and fluffed her pillows.

"Are you comfortable, Mama? Can I get you anything?"

"I'm fine," she assured her anxious daughter. "If you want to go out with your friends, go ahead. I want you to enjoy your summer. I plan to read for a little bit, and then I'm going to rest."

"I don't want to leave you. I'll be upstairs in my room. If you need anything, let me know. My door will be open, so I can hear you."

"That's fine. I have everything I need."

If that were true, Julianna thought as she climbed the stairs to her bedroom, then why did you contact A.J. Quartermaine and tell him to come here?

*~*

Julianna's four-poster bed, covered with a vibrant patchwork quilt Keesha had made for her when she turned thirteen, greeted her as she entered the spacious bedroom. The light pink curtains, which matched what color one could see of the picture-covered walls, danced as a mild breeze cooled the area. Passing shelves filled with her favorite books and stuffed animals, she reached the padded window seat and lifted the lid to retrieve her favorite pen and her jonquil-covered journal. Her best friend Shelly, knowing that jonquils were her favorite flower, had given her the diary last Christmas. Since her birthday fell so close to Christmas, December 29th to be exact, Shelly had also given her matching stationery as a birthday present. Julianna used the stationery once in a while, but she wrote in her cherished journal every day, sometimes more than once.

With her slender legs crossed, she positioned a cushion pillow behind her back so she could lean against the wall and write. The breeze refreshed her. She opened her journal and with pen in hand, she poured her thoughts onto the waiting pages.

He showed up today, she began. Why did Mama have to contact him? Why now? Why ever?

Julianna ceased writing and took a moment to stare reflectively out the window. It was the first time she'd ever seen his face. At various times, her mother had wanted to show her a picture or two, but Julianna always refused. Keesha never pushed. She knew where her mother kept the photos, but she'd never even wanted so much as to take a peek. And now she had seen him. She knew his face. She'd heard his husky voice. She knew what he looked and sounded like. He would never be just a name to her again. It was as though his face and his voice were burned in her mind. She hated it, but one look at him told her what she'd always known to be true. She had his eyes. Everyone commented on how pretty her thick-lashed hazel eyes were, especially against her darker skin tone. Should she thank him for giving her what a lot of people considered to be her best feature? She laughed bitterly, but she knew she couldn't deny the truth any longer. Today, for the first time, she had seen her father in person. And she couldn't have been ruder.

He is rather handsome, though, she reluctantly acknowledged in her journal. But that doesn't mean he's a good person. He's not. I know he's not. I wish Mama had never contacted him. I know I shouldn't have slammed the door in his face, but I don't want him coming any closer. He's not going to leave us alone, she acknowledged, feeling a mix of sadness and anger. I just know he's going to try again. What am I going to do? How can I keep him away from us?

Julianna had no sooner written the words than the phone rang. She grabbed it on the first ring, afraid it would be him. Thankful her mother hadn't asked for the cordless phone to be brought into her room, Julianna said a hushed "hello."

"May I speak to Keesha Ward, please?"

She recognized the voice. She knew who it was. Without saying another word, she hung up and prayed he wouldn't call again.

*~*

From his hotel room in the center of town, A.J. stared at the phone in dismay. The young girl who had shut the door in his face had just hung up in his ear.

After A.J. had recovered from the door-slamming incident, he'd returned to his hotel room at the Hilton. Even though Keesha had not given him her phone number, he took a chance she might be in the directory. He'd found a K&J Ward listed with no address and decided to call. Recognizing the teen-ager's voice, he knew he had the right number. The fact that she slammed the phone down much the same way she had the door confirmed it for him.

Keesha wanted to see him or so A.J. believed. Sitting on the bed in his hotel room, he vowed he would not give up until he'd at least had a chance to talk to her. He had to know if that young lady was indeed his daughter. And if she was, he would not leave Philadelphia until he knew why he had been kept from her for the past fifteen years!

Chapter 3 by pinkrose

Chapter 3

Keesha waited until her daughter returned downstairs before asking about the earlier phone call.

"It was the wrong number," Julianna said, as she handed her mother a glass of water and two pills.

After swallowing her medication, Keesha asked what she had planned for the evening.

"Nothing. I made vegetable soup and a green salad with Jell-O for dessert. I'll bring you a tray, and then I'll eat."

"Julianna," Keesha said, reaching out to hold her daughter's hand, "I don't want you to spend all your time taking care of me. I can walk to the kitchen, and I can eat dinner at the table."

"No. After your last trip to the Emergency Room, Dr. Williams said you have to have absolute bed rest. I don't mind taking care of you."

For a split second, Keesha saw something flash in her daughter's eyes. The look so reminded her of A.J. She also sensed the tension in her daughter as she held her hand. Julianna was hiding something. Keesha always knew when her daughter was distressed.

"Okay," she agreed. "I'll eat my dinner here, provided you join me. Let's not eat alone."

Julianna's sweet smile never failed to make her mother smile, no matter how badly she felt.

"I'll bring dinner soon," she promised. "You rest."

"When you come back," Keesha called out because her daughter had already left the room, "bring the cordless phone with you so we can answer it in here. I may even be up for a game of Scrabble."

Julianna pretended not to hear the part about the phone. There was no way she was giving her mother direct access to A.J. Quartermaine, should he dare try to call again.

*~*

As A.J. ate dinner alone in his hotel room with the TV turned on for background noise, he let his mind wander back to May 1998. That was the last time he had seen or spoken to Keesha. They had resumed their romantic relationship and had been together for a few months when an urgent call about her father's failing health had sent her to Philadelphia. They'd promised to keep in touch, but his life got complicated as soon as she left.

Believing he was the biological father of Michael, the son of the late Carly Corinthos, A.J. had done everything in his power to try to find out for sure. He was also reeling from the fact that Carly had drugged him, left him in an alley, and tried to make it seem as though he had started drinking again. Things really became tangled when his brother, Jason Morgan, got involved. Carly claimed Jason was the boy's father. A.J. had been stunned.

When the truth, or what A.J. thought was the truth at the time, finally came out, there wasn't time to think about Keesha. A.J. wanted his son with him. He and Carly tried marriage, but as with most everything in his life back then, it ended in disaster.

While A.J. continued to struggle with his very real problem of alcoholism, his ex-wife had taken up with the resident mobster, Sonny Corinthos. Sonny blackmailed A.J. into giving up total custody of his child. He spent the next few years hell bent on revenge, which ended up costing him dearly and making his life more miserable than it already was. Again, Keesha did not enter his mind.

Thinking he had found the ultimate revenge on his nemesis, A.J. became romantically involved with Sonny's half-sister, Courtney Mathews-Morgan. Somewhere along the line, he actually developed deep feelings for the young blonde, but once again, his brother Jason, who could do no wrong in his family's eyes, ended up with his ex-wife.

The next few years saw A.J. trying to come to grips with what had become of his life. He'd finally made strides by getting the help he knew he needed, and his life had meaning once again. He'd been about to hire a high-priced New York lawyer to fight Carly and Sonny for joint custody of a much older and more aware Michael when tragedy struck. The limousine Carly and Sonny had been riding in exploded. Sonny was killed instantly; Carly managed to hang on for a few days before her ultimate demise. The bedside confession she made to her mother changed a lot of people's lives forever, especially her son's. Michael Corinthos was really Tony Jones' son. Once Jason knew that Carly had signed a written confession, he told the affected parties, excluding Michael, how he had switched the test results at Carly's urging.

If A.J. hadn't been in a good place in his life, he knew her confession would've sent him into a tailspin. Even on her deathbed, she made sure A.J. knew the only reason she said he was the boy's father was because she knew she would always win against him since he was such a pathetic loser.

Once Sonny and Carly were gone, Jason and Courtney began to receive more and more death threats. They finally went into hiding. To this day, A.J. didn't know where they were. He had to admit they were becoming nothing more than a faded memory.

He finally managed, with a lot of help from some good people, to put much of the past with all its hurts and disappointments behind him and had moved on with his life.

Now, as he sat in the darkening room with a half-eaten steak on his plate, he wondered how different these past years might have been if, somewhere along the way, he had thought to contact Keesha. He also wondered what had caused her to be silent all these years if, indeed, the young lady he'd had contact with was his daughter.

*~*

After they'd each won a game of Scrabble, Julianna could tell her mother wanted to sleep.

"I'm going to say goodnight," she said to Keesha. "I'll be in the living room watching TV. I won't have it loud."

She kissed her mother's cheek and started to turn off her bedside lamp when Keesha stopped her.

"I want to read for a little bit. I'll turn out the light later."

Julianna nodded and after wishing her mother a restful sleep, she left the room.

Once Keesha knew she was alone, she opened her nightstand drawer and pulled out the first draft of the letter she had written to A.J. She looked at the date and realized that he'd had plenty of time to receive it. The unexpected visitor at the door and the mysterious phone call Julianna had briskly taken care of made Keesha suspicious. While she knew she hadn't given A.J. her phone number, she had no doubt he could've found it in the directory or by calling information. She knew her daughter did not want to talk about her biological father, but Keesha needed and wanted to see him. After reading the letter one more time, she returned it to the drawer for safekeeping.

With some difficulty, she managed to lay on her right side. She reached up and turned off the light. As she tried to get comfortable to go to sleep, only one thought occupied her mind.

My time is running out, A.J., and it's imperative that I talk to you.

Chapter 4 by pinkrose

Chapter 4

"Good morning, Mama," Julianna said as she walked into her mother’s room and pulled the shade halfway up the window to let in the early morning sunlight. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes, I did. Did you?"

Julianna turned to face her mother and nodded.

"I can make pancakes if you want."

"I think I’ll just have cereal and herbal tea. I need you to go to the store for me later."

"Okay. Let me go prepare your breakfast."

Julianna left the room, wondering how she could prevent A.J. from calling while she was out of the house. Short of unplugging the phones, Julianna was at a loss as to what to do.

About to put the breakfast items on a tray to bring to Keesha’s room, Julianna was surprised to find her mother standing behind her.

"Mama! I didn’t hear you."

"Sorry, sweetie. I needed to get out of bed."

"But do you feel okay? Sit down."

She pulled out a chair and helped her mother to sit down. She placed the bowl of cereal and cup of hot tea on the table.

"Sit with me and eat," Keesha said.

Julianna grabbed an apple from the refrigerator and sat next to her mother.

"Is everything okay?" Keesha asked.

"Yes, Mama. Why?"

"Last night while we were playing Scrabble, you seemed agitated like something was troubling you. I also noticed you frowned a lot. When I came in here, you were frowning again. Is something wrong, Julianna? If there is, I want you to tell me."

"No," she said, not ready to tell her mother about A.J.’s visit and phone call or to ask her why she had contacted him after all this time. "I’m just concerned about you."

Keesha gently squeezed her daughter’s hand. "I’m feeling better."

"I’m so happy to hear that, but what about the next..."

Julianna stopped. She knew how serious her mother’s illness was. They’d discussed it, but that didn’t mean she was ready to accept the inevitable.

"The next what?" Keesha pressed, wanting her daughter to discuss her fears with her. "You know you can talk to me about anything, Julianna. I want you to."

She nodded but didn’t say any more. Instead, she bit into her apple and took her time chewing.

"I understand you may not be ready to voice your concerns, but please don’t withdraw from me," Keesha continued. "I want you to confide in me. Okay?"

"Yes, Mama," she said, once she had swallowed. "I just...I need to sort out my thoughts. That’s all."

Keesha knew it was more than that, but she respected her daughter’s words and didn’t venture further.

"I made a list of things I need at the store."

"I was thinking about that. I can ask Shelly to go to the store for me. She won’t mind."

"No, Julianna." Keesha’s voice was firm. "I want you to go to the store. You need to get out, get some fresh air. I’ll be fine."

"What if I ask Shelly to stay with you while I’m gone?"

"Honey, I don’t need anyone to stay with me. And just to prove it to you, my doubting darling daughter, I will rinse the dishes while you go get ready. Go on. While you’re out, why don’t you stop at ‘Carla’s Fashion Boutique’ and see if you like any of her new outfits. Take your time. I’ll be fine."

Julianna realized her mother would not let her get out of going to the store, but there was no way she was making any unnecessary stops, even though that meant passing up a chance to peek into her favorite clothing store.

*~*

Sitting on her bed, Keesha shook her head and sighed. Getting her daughter out of the house had zapped most of what little energy she had. But she needed to have the house to herself. An idea had come to her in the middle of the night, and she knew she had to act on it. Reaching for the cordless phone she had insisted Julianna bring to her, she punched in the numbers for information and when the operator answered, Keesha asked for the phone number of the Hilton Hotel. She jotted the numbers down and thanked the woman.

Keesha knew the Hilton Hotel wasn’t too far from her house. If it had been A.J. at the door yesterday, maybe he was staying there? If he wasn’t at the Hilton, she would try the next hotel and the next one until she’d exhausted them all. She thought about waiting for the phone or the doorbell to ring again, but she couldn’t be certain it would happen. She needed to take action. Now.

Please let him be staying at this hotel, she prayed silently, as she punched in the numbers she had written down.

"Hilton Hotel. How may I help you?"

"Is there an A.J. Quartermaine registered there?"

"One moment. Let me check."

She could hear the sound of typing on a keyboard while she hoped for the best.

"Yes, there is. Would you like me to ring his room?"

"Yes!" Keesha said, relief evident in her voice. "Please do."

Now to cross the next hurdle: would he be there?

Her question was answered on the second ring.

"Hello?"

Keesha’s heart skipped a beat when she heard his voice.

"A.J."

It was a statement, not a question.

"Keesha?!" A.J. sounded incredulous. "Is this really you?"

"Yes," she said, relieved to have finally made the connection. "It’s me."

"How did you know I’m staying here?"

"I didn’t. I took a chance."

"I received your letter and came as soon as I could. I’ve tried to contact you several times."

"I thought so."

"Keesha, I have to know. The young girl who answered the door and the phone. Is she...is she your daughter? Is she...*our* daughter?"

"Yes," Keesha answered, her grip on the receiver tightening. "We need to talk, A.J. Soon."

"I agree," A.J. said, his mind racing with questions he wanted answers to.

NOW.

"I’ll talk to Julianna when she comes back from the store. I’ll make her understand why I contacted you after all this time. I’ll call you later today to come over."

"Her name is Julianna. I like that. Very pretty."

"Julianna Mae Ward," Keesha said, her heart and her voice filled with love.

"I have a lot of questions, Keesha."

"I know. I have answers for you, A.J. I do."

"I’m staying by this phone. Please call me. Soon."

"I will. I have to go now. I’m spent."

He’d noticed her labored breathing and that her voice had grown weak.

"Keesha, are you ill?"

"Yes, A.J., I am."

He struggled with his next question, but he had to ask. He had to know what he was dealing with so he could prepare himself to the best of his ability for what might lie ahead.

"Keesha, are you...are you...dying?"

"Yes," she answered, her voice breaking. "And I don’t know how much time I have left."

Chapter 5 by pinkrose

Chapter 5

Julianna returned and was surprised to find her mother sitting at the kitchen table, drinking a cup of tea.

"You should be resting in bed," she gently admonished.

"I have been. I got up a few minutes ago. After you put the groceries away, we need to have a serious talk."

Julianna recognized her mother’s set jaw and grim expression and swallowed her contradictory words. She knew, as fragile as her mother seemed lately, a fierce determination still remained. She feared "the talk" had something to do with A.J. Quartermaine and her behavior towards him, but she didn’t voice those concerns. She simply acknowledged her mother’s request with a nod.

Julianna willed herself to remain calm as she told Keesha she was ready. Taking a seat next to her mother, she waited anxiously for her to begin. Keesha took a moment to brush her daughter’s ebony locks away from her attractive face and gave her a wan smile.

"I know this isn’t going to be easy for you to hear, baby girl, but the time has come, and we must talk about it. You know I’ve contacted your father. He’s been here, hasn’t he? He’s tried to call, too. Isn’t that the truth, Julianna?"

Julianna felt the heat rising to her cheeks as her lies were so methodically exposed by her mother. She did not dare continue in her deception.

"Yes, Mama," she admitted ruefully. Then she rushed on. "But we don’t need him. We don’t!"

"*I* need him," Keesha stated. "Don’t you see, sweetheart. I need to explain everything to him, and I need to see you and your father together. I’ve put this off for far too long. It has to happen, Julianna. It will happen."

"What if I don’t want to meet him?" she asked, tears of frustration and a sense of loss filling her eyes. "He never cared about us. He never tried to contact you! Why, Mama? Why do we have to let him into our lives? Cousin Justus and Dara will take care of me if it comes to that. You told me that! And they confirmed it!"

"I know we all talked about that situation, but you need more than Justus and Dara. You need your father, baby. And he needs you, too."

She squeezed her daughter’s hands, her heart breaking at the anguish she saw on her lovely face.

"Honey, you know why I need to do this. I’m not doing this to hurt you. I’m not. Cousin Justus talked to you about this not so very long ago. I’m not getting any better. We both know what’s going to happen. A.J. is your father. It’s time, way past time, that the two of you got to know one another. This has to be done, Julianna."

"But Mama..."

Keesha shook her head.

"This is happening, Julianna. No more slamming doors in his face or hanging up on him when he calls."

The fifteen year old, who looked so much younger at that moment, turned her head away. Her mother knew everything.

"Yes, I know what you did, and I know why you did it, but it won’t happen again. A.J. is coming here tonight after supper. I expect you to be on your best behavior."

She whipped her head around to stare at her mother. "Tonight?! But that’s too soon!!" she cried.

"No, Julianna," Keesha said, her voice filled with sadness and regret. "This meeting is happening fourteen years too late. I won’t put it off another day."

*~*

After helping her mother get ready for A.J.’s visit, Julianna withdrew into the privacy of her room while Keesha rested.

With fear and anxiety gripping her from every side, she couldn’t sit still long enough to write in her journal, even though she had a million thoughts swimming through her mind that she wanted to get down on paper. Instead of writing, she turned on her computer and Web cam.

"Please be there," she hoped out loud.

She heard his voice through her speakers and despite how badly she felt, a small smile managed to ease some of the tension from her face.

"Hello, Michael."

"Hey, Jule. How’s it goin’?"

He was the only one she allowed to call her Jule. She didn’t know why, except that she liked the way he said the name. It sounded, to her, as though he were calling her a "jewel."

"Lousy," she admitted.

He could see her scowl and told her to talk to him.

"He’s coming here," she said, without preamble. "Tonight. I hate this, Michael. I really hate this!"

She never identified her father by name, but whenever she said "he," Michael knew she was talking about her father. They’d had an agreement from the very beginning that they wouldn’t share their last names, places of residence or phone numbers. They wanted to keep things as simple as possible. Somehow, it worked for them.

The teen-ager, with the reddish-brown hair and pale complexion, saw Julianna jump up from her chair and begin to pace the room as though she were looking for a way out. Which, he concluded, she probably was.

"No escaping out the window," he teased, trying to lighten the mood.

His efforts were rewarded with her sticking her tongue out at him.

"O-kay. Talk to me, Jule," he encouraged.

"He’s coming, Michael. My father is coming here. Mere hours from now he will be in this house. How can I be civil to him? How?!"

"Remember when I told you about my situation? Look how many fathers I’ve had. At least your mom didn’t subject you to a bunch of different guys and tell you to call them ‘uncle’ or ‘daddy.’ Your mom wants you to know your true father, Jule. Is that *so* bad?"

"I don’t know," she answered and sniffled, hating it when her friend made sense. "I’m scared about what this means. I’m looking at the big picture, and I don’t like what it’s showing me."

"You mean about your mom’s declining health?"

"Yeah. I won’t go with him, and he can’t make me!"

"Whoa, Jule. You are getting way ahead of yourself. I think your mom just wants the two of you to meet. Get to know one another. I highly doubt your mom is ready to give you up or to give up on herself. Didn’t you tell me she’s a fighter? And a brave one at that?"

"Yes, but you should see her, Michael. She’s so frail. I know her liver is getting worse. I can see it."

"Then you know what, Jule? You need to help make this meeting go well. I’m sure your mother is agonizing over this. Help her. Okay?"

"For being sixteen and male, how did you get to be so wise?"

Michael laughed. She loved hearing it.

"First of all, I’m almost seventeen."

"Not until December 29th. Don’t forget we share the same birth date. You’re just a year older."

"I’d never forget that. Isn’t that one of the reasons we decided to chat?"

"Yeah," she said, her voice softening. "It was. Along with the fact that we have only one parent."

"That’s right. You know my story, Jule. I lost my mom and every dad or uncle I thought I had. I live with my grandmother, but I’ve gotten to know my dad, my *real* dad, and he’s an okay guy. If you give your father a chance, I bet you’ll find out he’s okay, too."

"Promise me one thing?" she asked, knowing she had to sign off to prepare dinner.

He gave her a crooked grin. "What?"

"Be here late tonight. I have a feeling I’m going to need you."

"I’ll be here," he assured her. "I wish I could give you a hug. Know I’ll be thinking of you, Jule."

"Thank you," she said, and pressed two fingers against the camera to give him a cyber kiss.

Chapter 6 by pinkrose

Chapter 6

With her stomach in knots, Julianna took two bites of her tuna salad and declared she couldn't eat any more. She covered the bowl and placed it on a shelf in the refrigerator. Keesha fared little better with her vegetable soup. She glanced at the wall clock and realized A.J. would be there in less than an hour.

"Do we have anything to serve A.J. when he arrives?" Keesha asked.

"I made a tray with ham, cheese and crackers.  I also cut up some raw vegetables. There are some brownies left, too, that I baked yesterday."

"That sounds wonderful. Thank you for doing all this work, sweetheart. I appreciate it. I guess we should put on a pot of coffee."

"Okay. There's iced tea, too, if he drinks that."

"Sounds like we're ready."

Not really, Julianna wanted to say, but kept the thought to herself.

"I'd like us to talk in the living room," Keesha continued. "I'm going to use my walker and head that way."

Julianna nodded and watched to make sure her mother was steady on her feet before she began to measure the coffee grounds.

*~*

Taking her time, Keesha shuffled down the long, narrow, carpeted hallway to the front of the house, where the living room was located. Once she entered, she stopped to look around at her modest but comfortable furnishings. At one time, when she was healthier, this room had been her favorite. As she moved to her recliner, she recalled, with fondness, the evenings she had sat near the window and watched her young daughter play with her friends in the front yard. When Julianna got older, she entertained her mother by playing the piano and singing. The music, and her daughter's melodious voice, had allowed Keesha to recall sweet memories of her grandmother, Mary Mae.

Keesha had also spent many hours in her favorite chair with her feet propped up after a long day at the hospital, watching television, reading a good book, or just letting her mind wander.

Those were the times she let herself think about A.J., she realized now, as she tried to get comfortable in her chair, and had wondered whether or not she'd made the right decision in not telling him about his daughter. She had called him, several times, and each time she tried and failed to reach him because of one reason or another, her resolve grew stronger that she was better off not involving him in her life or the life of her daughter. But as she soon learned, fate had a way of stepping in and taking control. Her illness was definite proof of that.

Her daughter's appearance in the room broke Keesha's reverie. She placed the serving tray onto the glass-topped coffee table and then turned on the two lamps that sat on either side of the light blue sofa. Even though there was still daylight, Julianna also turned on the porch light.

"Thank you, baby."

Julianna nodded. Taking a seat on the edge of the sofa, she jumped up every time an automobile whizzed by. When she heard a car slow down and saw that it was parked in front of their house, she peeked through the curtain and knew it was A.J.

"He's here," she said, her voice solemn.

"Open the door for him, please."

"Yes, Mama."

With nervous energy, Julianna opened the door and waited for A.J. to make his appearance. When she saw him climbing the few steps, she gasped in surprise. He carried two beautiful bouquets: one of pink roses and one of yellow jonquils.

"Hello," she greeted somberly when he reached her.

"Hello, Julianna?"

He said it as a question, as if he wasn't sure he should call her by her name.

"Please come in," she said politely, if not stiffly, moving to one side so he could enter. "My mother is in the living room."

A.J. stepped where Julianna motioned. Keesha saw the gorgeous flowers before she actually saw him. But A.J. had a clear view of Keesha. He'd tried to steel himself for what she might look like, but nothing could have prepared him for how bad she looked. His heart lurched, and any cross words or accusations he might have thrown at her melted away. Never heavy to begin with, she was sickly thin. Her face was drawn; the vibrant brown eyes he remembered nearly vacant. Yet, when she indicated for him to enter the room, he did see life in her, and for that he was grateful.

"Hello, A.J.," she said, well aware that he had been taking inventory of her appearance.

Her voice was softer, weaker, but still managed to get his attention.

"Hello, Keesha," he returned.

"The flowers are beautiful," she said. "Thank you. We'll leave them in here to enjoy while we talk."

Taking her cue from her mother, Julianna arranged the two bouquets to sit on top of the black Steinway piano. She wanted to ask A.J. how he knew jonquils were her favorite flower, but one look at her mother's face, and she had her answer. He'd asked about her favorite things, Julianna realized, or her mother had told him. She vowed not to be affected.

"Sit down on the couch," Keesha said.

Her instructions included both of them.

Julianna let A.J. sit first, and then she purposely chose the opposite end. She sat perched on the edge, ready for a quick escape if need be, although with her mother's watchful eye on her, she knew she wouldn't be going far.

"Are you hungry?" Keesha asked. "If so, help yourself."

"No, thank you. I ate dinner at the hotel."

"Would you like a cup of coffee?" Julianna asked.

"Sure," A.J. said, turning to look at his daughter since she'd spoken directly to him. "That would be nice. Thank you."

She asked because his answer gave her a chance to leave the room. Keesha told her to bring everything in the living room, and they would help themselves.

"I look pretty bad, don't I?" Keesha finally asked.

A.J. had not stopped frowning since he'd laid eyes on her. He shook his head.

"I told myself you're not well, but Keesha..."

"I know," she said. "But you, on the other hand, look wonderful."

She appraised him and nodded approvingly.

"I see some gray in your hair and a few more lines around your eyes, but other than that, you look good."

"Thank you. May I...may I ask what happened to make you sick?"

"Let's talk about that later. Right now, I'd like us to concentrate on Julianna."

A.J. nodded. "She doesn't like me much, does she?"

"She's holding some things against you," Keesha admitted. "If you could tell us about your life and the choices you've made these past years, maybe she'll begin to see you in a new light."

"Does she...does she know about my past? About what I am?"

"You mean, do I know you're an alcoholic?" Julianna challenged, returning to the room just as A.J. voiced his question.

She added the Sterling silver tray with its contents to the coffee table and then turned to face her father.

"Yes, A.J.," she said, fire blazing in her hazel eyes, "I know what you are. And it's just one of the many, many reasons I begged my mother not to involve you in our lives. We don't need you!"

"Julianna!" Keesha severely admonished.

"I'm sorry, Mama, but he asked the question!"

"Can you let him explain about that? I told you he's sober now."

"How would you know? You're not with him day in and day out. You don't know that he's not drinking."

"If you had read any of the articles I've kept for you, Julianna, you would know the path your father's life has taken these past ten years. Please, A.J. Tell us about it."

"I am an alcoholic, Julianna. Actually, I'm a recovering alcoholic. As your mother indicated, I've been sober for eleven years. Years ago, I did a lot of things I'm not proud of, while under the influence of alcohol and while I was on the so-called wagon, but when I finally decided to get help, really get help, I became involved in a wonderful program. It literally changed my life."

"What happened?" Julianna asked, not wanting to be interested but realizing she was.

She had returned to her seat.

Encouraged by her question and the fact she was actually looking at him, A.J. happily continued.

"The program is in Manhattan. I moved there and have lived there ever since. 'Changes' is the name of the program, and it's a non-profit organization. When I saw how well 'Changes' worked and had been sober for a while, I started to think about expanding on its mission. With the help of a lot of good people, we developed a company called 'Goals, Achievements and Successes.' It's a program that gives people an opportunity once they've taken back control of their lives, no matter what they've been addicted to. There's a chapter in New York City and one in Port Charles. We're actually looking to set up a chapter here in Philadelphia."

"I think the work you're doing is wonderful, A.J. You make the newspapers and some magazines quite often. I've saved all the articles, Julianna, if you would like to read them."

"It's nice that you're helping all these people," she said, an anger building inside of her that she didn't know how to squelch, "but how is it you never thought to find out how my mother was doing?!"

Before A.J. could answer, Julianna ran from the room. With Keesha's permission, A.J. left in search of his daughter.

Unfamiliar with his surroundings, he walked down the long hallway and heard muffled sounds. He followed them and found Julianna with her back to him, sobbing quietly as she rinsed the dishes at the kitchen sink.

"Julianna?" he said her name tentatively.

She didn't turn to look at him, but when she spoke, she sounded tired and drained. "Go away. Please. Just go away."

"I don't think that's what your mother wants, and it's certainly not what I want. I know a bouquet of flowers and some measly explanation from me are not going to make the past fifteen years right, but we have to start somewhere, don't we?"

"Why?" she asked, wiping her eyes and then turning to look at him. "Are my mother and I your next challenge? Will you get written up in some newspaper or national magazine if you do something heroic for us? Spare me. Don't you get that I don't want anything to do with you?! Why can't you just leave me alone?!"

With fresh tears spilling down her cheeks, she rushed past him and ran towards the living room.

"Can we not talk any more tonight?" she asked Keesha. "Please."

"All right," she conceded. "I am getting tired. But I'm going to ask A.J. to spend the night on the sofa. There's so much more we need to discuss."

"You and A.J. talk tomorrow. Without me."

"That's not possible. What we need to discuss is your future, Julianna."

"I know my future, Mama," she said as A.J. stood at the doorway, uncertain whether or not he should enter. "If I lose you, I'm going with Cousin Justus and Dara. I'm not going with him, Mama. I won't! And no one can make me! No one!"

Chapter 7 by pinkrose

Chapter 7

A.J. spent most of the night lying wide awake on the sofa. He had no idea how to reach his daughter, and he still needed to find out what was wrong with Keesha. As the room began to lighten with the dawn of a new day, he heard rustling further down the hall, from the kitchen he believed, and decided to investigate. He discovered Keesha standing at the stove, with her walker, heating a kettle.

"Good morning. Need some help?" he asked.

She turned and offered him a seat at the table.

"Good morning to you. I felt like drinking a cup of tea. Care for one?"

"Sure. I can do that if you'd like."

"I need to do as much as I can for myself."

"I understand."

"Did you sleep?"

"Not much," he admitted. "How about you?"

"I did, but then again, I have medication that helps me."

"Is it too early for you to talk about your illness?"

Keesha nodded. "Later, A.J. Let's enjoy the quiet of the new day as we sip our tea."

A.J. carried the cups to the table and helped Keesha into her chair before taking the seat next to her.

"Can we talk about Julianna?" he asked, after they'd savored the lemon-flavored brew.

"Of course."

"She mentioned Justus and Dara. Do they know everything?"

Keesha nodded. "Justus is my lawyer and my confidante. Dara is my confidante, too. It helps that they're married. It just makes things easier. Everything is spelled out in my Will, A.J. My stipulation is that you not be kept from Julianna nor she from you, but primary custody of Julianna will go to Justus and Dara. I had to protect my daughter. She needs to be with people she knows, trusts and loves when I'm...no longer...around."

Keesha looked away as unwanted tears filled her eyes.

"I understand," A.J. said, placing a gentle hand on Keesha's forearm.

Grateful she didn't recoil from his touch, he continued. "I know you didn't have to include me at all. I have no excuse for never contacting you."

"You were drinking," she said, turning to look at him. But there was no accusation in her eyes. "I know that, A.J., because I called. Several times. I wouldn't have allowed you into my life or that of my daughter's had you continued to drink. Justus told me about your marriage to Carly and your marriage to Courtney whatever her last name is."

"Morgan," A.J. supplied.

When Keesha looked at him in surprise, he nodded.

"Yes, as in Jason."

The irony of that fact did not escape either of them.

"Regardless," she continued, "once I knew about those marriages, keeping Julianna from you became easier and easier. I had just about given up on you completely when I started seeing your name in the newspaper. I asked Justus to keep track of you again, and he confirmed your remarkable turnaround to me. I still had my doubts, but when I read about the wonderful outreach program you had started and the results it was producing, some of my hope returned. But by then, Julianna was old enough to voice an opinion on the matter of her father. And her opinion was that she wanted nothing whatsoever to do with you. I honored her wish until I got sick."

"How did you get sick, Keesha?"

She sighed as she stared into her tea cup. She knew, sooner or later, she had to talk about herself.

"My father died shortly after I arrived here. I mourned his loss deeply but, of course, I also discovered I had a new life growing inside me. I realized I had a chance to start over. To do or to be whatever I wanted. I felt a sense of freedom. As I said, I did try to contact you, but never succeeded in actually telling you who I was. I started to believe that was for the best. I mapped out a course for my life. I decided, after the birth of Julianna, that I wanted to be a nurse. I was fortunate. I was able to take a lot of the beginning courses at home, so I could be with my baby. At the college, I discovered there were other single moms doing the same thing I was. We networked to help each other study, to baby-sit our kids while we worked, or to just give one another a break if we needed it. With a lot of hard work, I made it through nursing school with my certificate.

"I loved the career I had chosen until I became infected by a drug user who fought with us in the hospital. My doctors thought they had caught it and treated it in time, but when I started not to feel well a few months ago, they ran more tests and discovered the infection had spread to my liver. They tried to treat it with drugs, but when I failed to improve, they informed me I'm now a candidate for a liver transplant. I'm on the waiting list for a donor, but so far..."

"Wow, Keesha, I am so very sorry to hear this. I can't even begin to imagine what you and Julianna have been going through. But you know what? I have a lot of connections with various medical groups and organizations. Why don't you let me make a few phone calls to see if I can find a donor or at least get you moved up higher on the list?"

"I appreciate what you're saying and what you're trying to do, but it's more complicated than that, A.J. I'm still undergoing tests. My doctors haven't given up on the medication I'm taking. It's a relatively new drug, but it has helped others like me."

"That's fine, Keesha, but why not have all the help you can get? Later on, when the office in NYC is open, I'm going to call a few people who work for me. I just want to make some inquiries. Will you at least let me do that much? Please?"

"Okay," she acquiesced because she didn't have the energy to fight him. "But you have to know that my doctors *must* be involved in anything you may want to do."

"I understand. I have a great staff. A few names you would recognize from Port Charles work with me. I know they'll want to do this."

"Please, A.J. Do not tell anybody this is for me. You have to promise me that."

"I promise. I won't mention your name. I just want to help you and Julianna if I can."

Unbeknownst to Keesha and A.J., Julianna heard a good portion of their conversation when she noiselessly descended the staircase. She had to grudgingly admit that A.J. sounded as though he cared. His concern for their welfare, especially her mother's, seemed genuine. Doubts about how she'd been treating him began to surface. Could she have misjudged him? Was he here because he truly cared about them? Was he trying to make amends for not being there for her mother when she'd needed him? Did he really want to help them with no ulterior motive, no need for recognition and fame? Did he just want to get to know her as his daughter? And the most important question, as far as Julianna was concerned, was would A.J. really be able to play a part in helping to keep her mother alive?

Chapter 8 by pinkrose

Chapter 8

Julianna retreated to her room without being seen or heard. She crossed to the window seat but didn't reach for her diary. Instead, she sat down, leaned her head against the wall, and closed her eyes to listen to the sparrows chirping merrily while she let the conversation she'd just heard play in her mind.

She hugged her middle and tried to make sense of it all, but confusion reigned. She needed to talk to someone. Moving to sit at her computer, she flipped the switches to turn on her computer and Web cam. Moments later, she found herself saying a subdued "hello" to Michael.

"Hey," he said, turning so he could see her. "I waited for you last night."

"Sorry. I was so agitated, I spent half the night typing out my thoughts on my computer. I didn't go online. I didn't feel like talking."

"It didn't go well?"

"I tried, but I couldn't be as civil as I know my mom wanted me to be. Michael?"

"Yeah, Jule?"

"Tell me what you experienced, what you felt when your mom died. You never talk about it."

"Are you sure you wanna hear?"

"Yes. I need to know what to expect or at least what I may experience should my mom...well, you know."

"Yeah, I know. Should I be brutally honest?"

"Please."

"Okay, here goes. It's horrible, Jule. If your mom should lose her battle, it'll be one of the worst experiences of your life. You're gonna feel like shit. Probably for a very long time."

"How did you cope?" she asked, her mood darkening. "How did you survive the loss of your family?"

"I almost didn't. I got into some bad stuff after my mom and step-father died because I didn't care. I saw a lot as a kid about the way some adults handle bad situations in their lives, and I thought the way you let out your anger was by having tantrums, throwing objects, yelling at everyone around you until they did what you wanted them to do. I think I broke every vase, every glass, every dish in my grandmother's house. I yelled and screamed constantly. I didn't know what a normal tone of voice was. I had so much anger and resentment in me, Jule. I loved my mom, but she and I were not as close as I know you are to your mom. Let's just say, we had issues. Unresolved issues, unfortunately.

"My grandmother helped me, even when I didn't want to be helped. I had horrendous nightmares. My grandmother held me and stayed with me. She wouldn't let me go even when I told her I wanted to be alone. She kept telling me how much she loved me. She didn't give up on me. Neither did my dad. I didn't know it at the time, or much care, but I had a support system. They came to me because I certainly had no plans to go to any of them. I did what I wanted to do. I didn't care what they said or did unless they tried to stop me. Then I got angry. My family, and even some of my friends, saw the path I was taking, and they did everything they could, short of tying me up in my room so I couldn't leave the house to buy drugs, to help me. They encouraged me, Jule. They spent time with me, even though I hated hearing the things they had to say. They told me I could make it through the darkest period of my life. I guess, even for someone as dumb or as stubborn as me, their words began to sink in. I started to reach out more to them and not to the drugs I had been taking. I had to test what they were telling me. I had to know if they would really be there for me the way they'd said they would be. I had to have something to believe in. I'd been numb for a long time, Jule. I'd numbed myself because it was the only way I knew how to get through the day. But as time went on, I slowly let myself feel again. I hated it because I didn't like a lot of what I was feeling, but I knew it meant I was alive.

"It's not easy, Jule, and if, by some unfortunate twist of fate, you have to go through it, don't let anyone push you in your grieving. Only you know how you feel. No one else does. I learned that from a man who, believe me, knows what he's talking about."

"You sound very courageous and mature to me," she said. "I know it's been less than four years since you lost your parents. I admire you. I'm glad you're my friend, Michael."

"I'm kinda glad we hooked up, too."

"Can I ask you another question?"

"Yep."

"I know you said you had a parade of fathers and uncles in your life. Did they do DNA testing on this father? Is he really your father?"

"Yes, he is. The true records were found from my birth, but we also did more testing. He is my father."

"Did you accept him right away? Did you feel any anger or resentment?"

"Nah. I could've been mad at my mother, but what good would it have done? After my mother's death, I got to know the man she claimed was my biological father but who she never let into my life. You know what I discovered? He's an okay guy. He helped me. He's the one I was talking about earlier who taught me a few things about not denying your feelings. When I first found out who my real father was, I didn't let myself think about him. I didn't know him, and finding out he was my father came at a time when I couldn't have cared less. But, over time, we managed to get to know one another, and at least we have a relationship. He's in my life, Jule, and I'm grateful and happy he is."

"My father seems sincere in wanting to help my mom. I'm so confused, Michael. I keep thinking things would be better if he just left us alone, but now...now I'm not so sure. My mom seemed really happy to see him. She asked him to stay over last night. She wants to talk more. I don't understand it. Why doesn't my mom care that he never called her? He obviously didn't think about her all these years. Is it fair that he just gets to waltz back into her life, and my life, and take over? I don't like this, and yet, I get the feeling he's not a bad guy. What should I do?"

"Just my opinion, 'kay?"

She nodded.

"I think you need to let him be there for you guys. Especially for your mom. She probably doesn't have time to feel resentment over the past, Jule. She's fighting for her life. I bet he feels pretty guilty."

"He doesn't act like it," she said, some of her unresolved anger coming through.

"Okay, so even if he doesn't feel guilty, at least he wants to help. Why would you not let him or not want him to?"

"You make me sound like a selfish brat. I hate this, Michael. But I can't help what I feel, can I?"

"Hey, you're the one who likes to analyze everything down to the last minute detail. Why do *you* think you feel that way? And you called yourself a selfish brat. I didn't."

"Sometimes I hate you, you know that?"

He laughed. "Yeah, Jule. I know. I gotta go. Catch you later?"

"Sure. Bye, Michael. Thanks."

"Anytime."

*~*

Still feeling overwhelmed, Julianna returned downstairs and saw A.J. sitting at the kitchen table, her mother's laptop in front of him.

"Good morning," he said when he saw her.

"Hi."

"Your mom is sleeping."

"I know. I just looked in her room. Did you eat?"

"Your mother and I had toast and tea. She told me where her computer was and that she wanted me to use it to check my e-mails."

She nodded and pulled a bottled water from the fridge. Positioning herself against the counter, she observed him as he worked.

"Your business must keep you very busy."

He stopped typing and turned to look at her.

"It does, but I love it. It doesn't feel like a job to me, most of the time."

"Do you have to work long hours?"

"Sometimes. It depends what we have going on. Would you like to see our Web site? I can show you what it looks like."

"Maybe some other time." Part of her felt guilty about wanting to keep her distance from him, but another part of her felt she had to in order to keep her sanity. "I have a computer in my room." She gave in to the pull to offer him an explanation. "I can see it there."

A.J. nodded. A few awkward moments passed with neither of them saying anything.

"I get the feeling you want to say something to me. Am I right, Julianna?"

"No," she said, a sudden need to leave the room enveloping her. "I'm going to see if the mail has been delivered."

She knew it was too early for the mail, but she needed space, so she stepped outside for some fresh air. She realized she didn't have to worry about her mother being alone in the house because she wasn't. Her father was there, and she knew he would help Keesha if she needed it. The thought struck her again. He would help them. They were no longer alone. Her mother had someone else in her life who seemed to care about her. Who would probably do things for her if she asked. The more she thought about A.J., the more real he became to her. For better or for worse and through no wish of her own, he was now a part of their lives, and she was going to have to get used to him. After all this time, the father she'd never wanted to know was a very real and commanding presence in her life.

She took a few minutes to walk around the block before she returned to the house. When she did, she heard A.J., in the kitchen, talking to someone. The words he spoke caught her attention. She stopped in her tracks to listen.

"I need you to work with me on this, Skye. Yes, this is part of the reason why I came to Philadelphia. No, I can't tell you who this is for, but I need you and a few others, maybe Elizabeth and Emily, to search our databases for doctors' names, hospitals, organizations, anything you can find out regarding liver transplants. I have access to my e-mail. Send me names, phones numbers, good contacts I can call. I need this information as quickly as possible. I know we have other projects going on, but I am making this a number one priority. Pass that along to anyone you recruit to help. If anyone there has questions about this or wants confirmation that I have issued this directive, tell them to call me on my cell or send me an e-mail. I'll answer them as soon as I can. I'm counting on you, Skye. I need this information ASAP. Keep in touch, okay. Thanks."

Julianna leaned against the wall in the hallway and closed her eyes. Her father had kept his promise. He'd told her mother he would call his office and he had. He had his staff gathering information for him at this very moment. He sounded so authoritative, so in control, so in charge of the situation. She never believed her father was that kind of man. From the little she knew and what she had schooled herself to believe, she'd formed a very negative opinion of him. She saw him as a weakling, a coward, a man who couldn't, or wouldn't, face up to his responsibilities. But, somehow, listening to him just now, she saw a man very different than the one she had built up in her mind. She saw a man who was not unreasonable but who expected his requests to be fulfilled. She imagined the workers in his office complying as swiftly as they could with his request, not because they feared him but because they respected him. What did that say about her? she asked herself. She knew she had shown her father little or no respect. Guilt consumed her as she realized she never planned to give him a chance. Never wanted to. She'd wanted to forget he existed. But now, now that he was following through with what he'd told her mother he would do, how could she continue to treat him as if he didn't matter to her? And yet, she knew, deep down, she was nowhere near ready to accept him as her father. And even if he managed, somehow, to help save her mother's life, she wasn't sure she would ever be able to call him "Dad."

Chapter 9 by pinkrose

Chapter 9

Julianna bypassed A.J. without letting him know she'd heard his conversation and walked into her mother's room.

"Hello, Mama," she said, pleased to see her mother had awakened from her nap.

"Hello. Did you sleep late? I thought I'd see you earlier."

"I stayed upstairs for awhile, but when I came down before, you were sleeping."

"A.J. and I had an early morning conversation over tea and toast. Have you seen him?"

"Yes, I saw him. I think he's in the kitchen. Do you want me to get him?"

"No. He said he needed to do some work. He was going to get his laptop from the hotel room. I told him to use mine."

"He is."

Keesha patted her mattress; Julianna sat down.

"You seem happier this morning, Mama. You like having him here, don't you?"

"I'm relieved that he knows the truth and that he wants to be here. You didn't stay in your room because of him, did you?"

"Partly," she admitted, "but it's not because I was avoiding him. I just...I didn't sleep well, and I needed some time to myself."

Keesha nodded in understanding.

"How long will he be staying?"

"I'm not sure. Why don't you ask him?"

Her daughter shook her head. "I don't want to. But I was thinking that now we have someone else to help you. I know Lisa comes three times a week to help out, but this feels different."

"Because he's your father?" Keesha inquired.

Julianna shrugged. "Maybe. I'm not sure. I just know things have changed."

Keesha brushed a strand of hair from her daughter's face.

"This could be positive if you'd give it a chance. I know you've been carrying a heavy burden, and you know I appreciate everything you do for me."

"I know."

"But you're right. A.J. is here. Why don't you take advantage of that? Call Shelly and go to the mall or see a movie. Take a break, sweetheart. I'll be fine."

"You wouldn't mind?"

"Of course not. I'll talk to A.J. He knows how much you do for me, Julianna. I'm sure he won't mind staying with me."

"If it's really okay, then I would like to go out."

"It's fine, sweetheart. Go. Have a good time. Take all the time you need."

"Thanks, Mama. I love you. I'll have my phone with me. Call me if you need anything. Okay?"

"I will. Enjoy. Don't worry about me."

After Julianna left the room, A.J. knocked softly on Keesha's open door.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes. Julianna is taking a much-needed and much-deserved break. You don't mind staying with me, do you?"

"No. In fact, I just finished checking my e-mails. I'm waiting for a phone call, but my cell is on. Is there anything in particular you'd like to do?"

"Yes. Please ask Julianna to bring down one of the boxes from my room upstairs. She'll know which ones I'm talking about."

A.J.'s voice carried to Julianna's room. She walked into her mother's old room and retrieved one of the lighter boxes. She knew what her mother wanted to do. She wanted A.J. to see pictures of her as she was growing up. She also had lots of DVDs that she was sure her mother would mention to A.J. She supposed he had a right to see what he had missed, but she was very relieved she didn't have to be around to hear her mother reminisce. Especially not with her father.

*~*

After Julianna left the house, Keesha invited A.J. to pull up a chair so he could sit next to her bed.

"I thought you might like to see Julianna through the years," she said, opening the first photo album and placing it across her lap. "If you want any of the pictures, they're yours, A.J."

She guided him through the photo album. She shared some funny anecdotes and some serious ones as she turned page after page of wonderful memories.

"Julianna looks very happy in these pictures," A.J. said. "I know it's because you've done such a fantastic job raising her."

"She's been my life," Keesha admitted, as she closed the cover of the album. "I thought about you a lot during the years, A.J."

Pangs of guilt assaulted his insides at Keesha's gently spoken words.

"I know you didn't think about me," she said, without a trace of malice. "And I also know if it weren't for Julianna, you wouldn't be here. I just want you to know I'm okay with that."

"Keesha, I didn't know about Julianna when I received your letter, but I came. I came because you wrote that you needed me."

"I wanted you and Julianna to get to know each other. I know she's not being very cooperative but give her time. She's very passionate and she cares deeply. She also hurts deeply, too. It wasn't until her friends at school began asking her about her father that she questioned me. She asked me if I'd seen you since I left Port Charles, and I told her no. Then she asked me if I'd heard from you since I left. I wasn't going to lie to my child, A.J. I felt she was old enough to understand, so I began to spoon feed her bits of information about you. She listened in the beginning, but then she began to tune me out. Eventually, she asked me not to mention your name ever again. Her impression was that you didn't care about us, so she was certainly not going to waste any of her time thinking about you."

The truth hurt, but A.J. knew he had to hear it. He also knew he had to continue to try to reach his daughter.

"Was there...was there ever anyone in your life that she did think of as her father or step-father?"

"I've had a few relationships, only one serious. Once I began working at the hospital, I dated a doctor or an intern here and there. Mostly to attend social functions that the hospital was sponsoring."

"What about the *one* serious relationship?" A.J. asked, his eyes twinkling.

Keesha laughed. "I was engaged to a man who was a schoolteacher. Julianna was mortified. She really liked him, but she said she didn't want her mother to be married to one of her teachers. She said the kids would never let her forget it. I told her we planned to wait until she was no longer going to the school where he taught. That appeased her. Somewhat."

"So what happened?"

"He took a sabbatical from teaching and went to Europe to study. I couldn't go with him, and when he came back, well, let's just say things were never the same between us. Eventually, we parted ways. I don't think Julianna was too upset that her mother didn't marry him."

"What about you? Do you regret not marrying him?"

"No, not really. I'm not sure how well he would've coped with my illness. I think, in the end, things work out the way they're supposed to."

She looked at A.J. Their eyes locked, and then A.J. reached to clasp Keesha's soft hand in between both of his.

"Your getting sick is one thing that should never have happened," he said, his voice thick with emotion.

"But if I hadn't gotten sick, A.J., you wouldn't be here."

The ringing of his cell phone broke the moment.

"I have to take this."

She nodded.

He left her room and spoke from the kitchen. Skye Chandler-Cudahy told him to check his e-mail in an hour. They'd found some useful information, as well as two contacts who would be willing to talk to him.

"Thanks, Skye. I knew you'd come through for me. You're the best."

"Any idea when you might return to the office?" she asked, although she'd assured him, when they'd talked earlier, that things were running smoothly without him.

"No. I'm in Philadelphia for the foreseeable future. But you and the others know how to reach me."

"That we do. Let me know if you need anything else."

"I will. Thanks again. Tell the others I really appreciate their help and their quickness in getting this information to me. You wonderful people may have just played a major role in saving someone's life."

Chapter 10 by pinkrose

Chapter 10

That evening, when Julianna returned, she found Keesha and A.J. in her mother’s room, laughing while they watched a DVD of her when she was nine years old.

"Mama!" she cried, indignation consuming her when she saw which DVD it was. "No fair! You told me you got rid of that."

Keesha stopped the machine and composed herself.

"I’m sorry, baby. But it’s so funny. I just had to show it to A.J."

"So now you know I’m the world’s worst softball player," she said, her voice glum as she turned away from her father.

"I didn’t think you were that bad," he offered.

"Are you kidding?" she exclaimed, his words forcing her to look at him. "Did you not pay attention to what you were watching? The coach *made* me bat until I hit at least one ball. Don’t tell me you didn’t notice how bright and sunny it was when I started and how night was falling when the coach finally gave up."

"I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration," Keesha said.

"Well, that’s what it felt like to me. Mama, can we *please* destroy that DVD?"

"But you looked soooo adorable in your blue and gold uniform," Keesha protested.

Julianna rolled her eyes; Keesha and A.J. shared a laugh.

"Julianna," A.J. said, "if it makes you feel any better, there are a lot worse things you could fail at. Believe me."

The tone of his voice caught her attention. She saw the look of compassion and understanding in his eyes and, without her wanting it to, the ice around her heart melted just a little bit more.

She nodded her thanks and turned her attention to her mother.

"Because you showed A.J. that DVD, I’m not going to tell you what I brought for you."

"Oh, please tell me. You know I love it when you surprise me."

"Okay," she relented, never able to stay cross with her mother for long. "I brought some of your favorite ice cream."

"Mocha almond fudge?" Keesha squealed in delight.

Her daughter nodded and smiled. She couldn’t help but notice that her mother’s eyes were brighter than they had been in weeks. "Would you like a bowl?"

"Yes! Don’t make me wait."

"Mocha almond fudge." A.J. said the words with fondness. "Could I tell you a story about your mom and mocha almond fudge."

"A.J.," Keesha warned, "don’t you dare!"

"I wanna hear," Julianna said. "Mama, you showed A.J. one of my most embarrassing moments. As payback, I get to hear a story about you."

"Well..." Keesha said, knowing she couldn’t argue with her daughter’s logic.

She just hoped A.J. knew what he was doing.

"Go ahead, A.J.," Julianna said, taking a seat on the end of her mother’s bed. "Tell me."

Keesha shook her head but didn’t try to stop him, even though she would wonder later if she should have.

"This happened many years ago," he began, pleased he had his daughter’s full attention for the first time. "Your mom had come to the Quartermaine mansion to visit. After we’d been playing tennis for a while, your mother said she was hungry. We returned to the main house, and Keesha announced she wanted some mocha almond fudge ice cream. I told her I would call Cook in the kitchen and let her know what we wanted. Well, your mother thought that was absurd. She said she was perfectly capable of scooping ice cream into a dish. I told her she didn’t understand. In our house, you didn't just *walk* into the kitchen, unannounced, to serve yourself. It was forbidden."

"Isn’t that ridiculous?" Keesha asked her daughter.

"Kinda," she agreed. "Why couldn’t you go into your own kitchen?"

"Your mother found out why," A.J. teased, a grin spreading across his handsome features at the memory.

Keesha wanted to crawl under her covers.

"What happened?" Julianna asked, her voice animated. "Don’t keep me in suspense!"

"Your mother, who told me I just didn’t want her to have any ice cream, marched boldly into our kitchen in search of mocha almond fudge. I waited for the inevitable yells, the sounds of pots and pans crashing to the floor, and I was not disappointed."

"Mama, what did you do?"

"I invaded Cook’s territory," she said, looking sheepish.

"Major mistake," A.J. said. "I tried to warn her, but she wouldn’t listen."

"What did this Cook person do?" Julianna asked, almost afraid to hear the answer.

"She ordered me out of *her* kitchen. Can you believe that? When I tried to reason with her..."

"Keesha," A.J. interrupted, "I told you. You don’t try to reason with a 300-pound woman, who has flaming red hair, and is chasing you around the house with a frying pan aimed at your head!"

"Mama, she didn’t!"

The image that sprang into Julianna’s mind horrified her and almost made her laugh at the same time.

"She did. She told me never to come back into her kitchen again. Ever! I ran for my life when she grabbed that heavy skillet."

"Then what happened?" Julianna asked, clearly interested in the outcome of this tale.

"Your mom made it to the back of the house. I thought I saw a flash of someone in white running by the rose garden. I raced to see if I could help, and I’ll never forget what your mother did."

"What did you do?" Julianna asked.

"A.J., please," Keesha begged, fearing that time had caused him to forget the outcome. "Everything turned out fine, sweetheart."

"But, Mama, I wanna hear what you did. How did you escape?"

"I’ll tell you what your mother did," A.J. said.

Keesha tried to warn him not to go any further, but he was too engrossed in the story and too pleased that he’d finally been able to share something with his daughter, that he didn’t heed her advice.

"To escape Cook," A.J. said, his eyes dancing, "your mother jumped, I kid you not, fully clothed, into our Olympic size swimming pool."

"Mama, you didn’t!"

Julianna couldn’t help but to laugh as she pictured her mother diving head first into a swimming pool, wearing her tennis outfit.

"Guilty as charged," she admitted. "Shoes and all."

"Did Cook relent or did you have to spend hours in the pool avoiding her wrath?"

Julianna giggled at the thought.

What happened after that came back to A.J. with a vengeance. He suddenly realized why Keesha had been silently advising him not to continue with the saga. He swiftly made the decision to finish the story. He’d brought them to this point. He knew he owed it to his daughter, and to Keesha, to tell what happened.

"My brother Jason rescued your mother. He saved the day, not to mention your mother from Cook’s frying pan."

"But I thought you were on your way to save my mom?"

"I got there too late," A.J. admitted. "When I arrived at the pool, your mother was safely in Jason’s arms. Soaking wet, and more than a little embarrassed, but safe, nonetheless."

"Jason just happened to be there," Keesha said, trying to downplay his part in her rescue. "It was no big deal. I was fine."

How many times, over the years, had A.J. heard those words: Jason just happened to be there?

"Mama," Julianna asked because she’d heard Jason’s name in conversations her mother would have, but his role in her mother’s life was never fully explained, "what is the story with Jason?"

"Sweetheart, talking about Jason will have to wait for another time. I want my ice cream!"

"But, Mama, I’ve heard his name. You have talked about him. Why won’t you tell me about him?"

"Because he’s in the past, and my relationship with Jason has no bearing on what’s going on now."

"Keesha," A.J. said, his voice quiet, "that’s not exactly true."

"See?" Julianna said. "I know something went on with Jason. I’d like to know about him. He is my uncle, right?"

"Yes, baby, but he’s not part of our lives. He’s not part of A.J.’s life. I think we need to table this discussion. Who else wants ice cream?"

"Keesha," A.J. said, knowing he had started Julianna’s questions and realizing Keesha had never shared the details of the accident he had caused with their daughter. He wanted the truth about Jason to be told. "If it’s okay with you, I think our daughter should be told about Jason and how I changed his life and his relationship with you forever."

Chapter 11 by pinkrose

Chapter 11

After Julianna had served each of them a dish of ice cream, she returned to her seat and told them she wanted to hear about Jason.

"A.J., you don’t have to do this," Keesha said. "I can talk to Julianna about Jason some other time."

"No, Keesha," he said, his resolve firm. "I think she should hear what happened from me."

"What’s the big mystery?" she asked, definitely intrigued.

"Jason Quartermaine," A.J. began, "was everything I wasn’t. We couldn’t have been more different if we’d tried."

"They’re half brothers," Keesha clarified, trying to help A.J.

"True," A.J. said, "but it was more than that. I developed my drinking habit pretty early in life. I had the spoiled rich kid routine down to a science."

"A.J.," Keesha gently admonished, "you’re not giving yourself a fair shake."

"I’m being honest," he said. "Yes, there were other factors involved, family was a major one, but still, the choices I made were my own, and I had to live with the consequences. I didn’t do too well in that department for a long time," he went on to explain to his daughter.

"So Jason is the good son," Julianna deducted.

"Oh, yes. Even to this day, as far as I know, although the family hasn’t seen him in a very long time."

"Why haven’t they?" she asked.

"Because one night, while I’d been heavily under the influence of alcohol, I did a very stupid thing which changed my brother’s life forever. By extension, it also changed your mother’s life forever, too."

"What did you do?"

"I got behind the wheel of my car."

"Oh, no!"

"Yes, I did. Jason jumped in the passenger seat."

"Why would he do that? He knew you had been drinking?"

"Yes. He thought he could stop me or save me, but he couldn’t. I took off, with him still in the car, and ended up crashing."

Julianna’s hand flew to her mouth.

"My brother suffered severe brain damage. He’d been studying to be a doctor, to follow in our father’s footsteps, but of course that dream came to a crashing halt. No pun intended."

"Your family must have been devastated."

"Oh, they were. They most definitely were."

"But it was an accident," she said. "You didn’t mean to do it, right?"

"To hurt my brother? No, I didn’t. But that didn’t matter. What mattered was I had harmed him. He had no memory of Jason Quartermaine, so he gave himself a new identity. He became known as Jason Morgan, which he is, as far as I know, to this day."

"How did that affect you, Mama?"

"Jason Quartermaine and I had been together prior to that fateful night. Afterwards, he didn’t remember who I was."

"Mama, that must have been horrible for you!"

"It was," she acknowledged. "But after a time, when I realized he wasn’t going to regain his memory, I got over it and moved on with my life."

"To A.J.," Julianna said, shaking her head. "The one who had caused you to lose the man you loved."

"Baby, you said it yourself earlier. It was an accident. And Jason had no business being in that car."

"So you forgave A.J. just like that?!" she asked, her voice incredulous as she snapped two fingers together. "Why would you take up with him, knowing he had a drinking problem. Mama, it could have been *you* in that car!"

"Julianna, I know this is a lot for you to hear," Keesha said, "but I would prefer if you would concentrate on the present. I really wish you would read an article or two. Your father truly has turned his life around. He talks about his struggles in some of the interviews. He’s not hiding any of this from you. What happened to Jason is unfortunate, yes, but it can’t be undone. Jason has gone on with his life. Would you have wanted your father to never have moved on? I saw how he suffered because of what happened. I witnessed the way his family treated him. Let me tell you, sweetheart, he has paid for that accident. Jason Morgan, who chose a much different life than the one he had, has done some very horrible things, yet, at least while I was living in Port Charles, he was still considered the golden boy. I got involved with A.J. again because I was attracted to him. Yes, Julianna, that’s right. I liked him, and then I fell in love with him. Did I approve of everything he did? No. And I would call him on it. But I enjoyed being with him."

"I loved your mother, too, Julianna, very much."

"But you never once thought about her after she left Port Charles. I sure hope no one ever loves *me* the way you loved my mother."

"Just like Jason that night, Julianna," Keesha said, trying desperately to help her daughter understand, "I made a choice, too. I chose to be with A.J. and to give myself to him, and I don’t regret that decision because it brought you into my life. Was I disappointed that he didn’t keep in touch? Of course I was. Was I distraught when I learned he was drinking again? Yes, very much so. Would I have kept him out of your life and mine? In a heartbeat. But that was fifteen years ago. A lot of things have changed, baby, and now is the right time, in my view, for your father to be in your life. Did I think this was going to be easy? No way. I knew how strongly you felt about your father not being in your life. But do I regret that he’s here? No, because he has shown me he cares about us, wants to be with us, help us, and most importantly, Julianna, he has shown me that we can trust him. One day, baby girl, you are going to understand what I’m saying. It is my fervent wish and prayer that I am still alive to see that day because I know, when you finally realize that you have *your* father in your life and decide to accept, and yes love him, for who he is, it’s going to be one of the happiest and most cherished days of your life and your parents’ lives.

"Your father is right there, Julianna. Don’t you see, sweetheart, that he’s been willing to put himself on the line for you. He wants you to question him, he wants to help erase your doubts, your fears, he wants to open up to you, but he also wants you to open up to him. He wants to be here for us. Can you let him? If not for yourself or your father, then for me? Please?"

Julianna had tears in her eyes by the time her mother finished her impassioned and heartfelt speech.

"Mama, you know how much I love you and how I would do anything for you, but you seem to have unconditional trust in A.J. and unconditional forgiveness towards him. I don’t. I’m sorry, A.J.," she said, turning to look at her father, "but I don’t see you as worthy of forgiveness. I think my mother should be livid with you for abandoning her, but that’s not the kind of person she is. You single-handedly ruined her relationship with Jason. Who knows what would have happened? Yes, maybe they wouldn’t be together to this day, but that choice was taken from her. By you and your stupid drinking problem! Who knows what else you have destroyed with your drinking, not only for my mother, but also for other people. My mother thinks you have paid, but I’m not convinced that’s true. I think my mother has been way too easy on you. My mother is tired. I think you should go now."

"Yes," A.J. said, rising from his chair. "I think you’re right. I have some things to take care of in the morning," he said to Keesha, "but I’ll call to see how you’re doing."

"I’d like that," Keesha said. "I’m sorry this turned into such a rough night for you."

"I value what our daughter has to say," he said, his eyes encompassing both Keesha and Julianna. "Like you, Keesha, I knew this wasn’t going to be easy. If you never accept me, Julianna, I will learn to live with your decision. Goodnight. I’ll call you tomorrow."

"Julianna, please walk your father to the door. I’m going to say goodnight, too."

"Goodnight, Mama," Julianna said, her voice subdued. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

*~*

Julianna and A.J. walked silently down the long corridor to the front of the house where she turned on the porch light and unlocked the door.

"May I tell you something?" A.J. asked.

Julianna nodded.

"Tomorrow morning I’m meeting with two consultants who may be able to help me with your mother’s pending liver transplant."

"Does my mother know?"

"No. I thought it best not to tell her until I know for sure what these gentlemen may be able to do. Once I know what I’m dealing with, I want to tell your mother. I’d like for her and me to meet with her doctors if there’s something that can be done that isn’t already being done or considered."

"That sounds like a good plan," Julianna acknowledged.

"You’re welcome to be as involved as you would like. I don’t want to leave you out of anything."

"I want to be there if you meet with Mama’s doctors."

"That’s fine. I’ll let you know the latest when I call tomorrow."

Julianna nodded again. A.J. opened the door and stepped out into the warm, breezy night.

"Goodnight," he said, and then turned to descend the steps.

"A.J.?" his daughter said, causing him to cease walking.

"Yes?"

She swallowed hard before speaking. "I...I know my mother appreciates everything you’re doing for her."

He nodded. "I know she does, too."

He had taken another step when his daughter’s voice stopped him again.

"A.J.?"

He turned and waited to hear what she had to say.

She fumbled with the doorknob as she spoke. "Instead of...instead of calling, why don’t you...you know...come by to tell us what you found out. I...I can make us something tasty for lunch. Okay?"

"Okay," he said, his voice not revealing anything of what he was feeling. "I’ll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah. And A.J.?"

"Yes?"

"Drive safely, okay?"

He allowed her a small smile. "I will. I promise."

Chapter 12 by pinkrose

Chapter 12

Thankful he had thought to pack a couple of business suits along with his causal clothes, A.J., wearing a light gray suit with a matching color tie, stepped off the elevator into the hotel lobby. He saw two gentlemen standing off to the side and approached them.

"Phillip Connors?" he asked, looking from one distinguished-looking man to the other.

"Yes," a tall man with salt and pepper hair responded. "A.J. Quartermaine?"

"Yes."

They shook hands, and then Phillip introduced A.J. to his business partner, Daniel Rodriguez.

"Pleased to meet both of you," A.J. said, after shaking hands with the dark-haired Daniel. "Why don’t we go into the hotel restaurant to talk? I’ll buy you breakfast."

After coffee had been served and the waitress had taken their orders, they got down to business.

"One of your associates, Skye Chandler-Cudahy, contacted us and said you’re looking for some information about a liver transplant for someone."

"That’s correct. The person lives here in Philadelphia and is on a waiting list. But the doctors are also trying out a new drug. I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes, but I would like to learn as much as I can about this process, and I’d also like to know if there’s anything I may be able to do or that you or someone you may know who deals with this type of illness and surgery may be able to do."

Daniel spoke up. "I can tell you that it’s a very straightforward process. If the person is on the waiting list, the doctors on the case will be notified when a liver that matches this person’s information becomes available. At that point, the doctors will tell your friend what needs to be done. We can tell you that one of the major factors is that the person has to be ready to go where the liver is. Depending where this person is on the list, if other candidates for the liver are not in a position to have the surgery, they are bypassed to the next name on the list. There is a very short window of opportunity once a liver does become available, but the medical people do try to help in any way they can. People can be ahead of your friend on the list, but if there is a mismatch of any kind with the size or the blood type or their availability, they won’t be getting that particular liver."

"Also," Phillip added, "were you aware that General Hospital in Port Charles is now capable of doing liver transplants?"

"No," A.J. admitted, "I wasn’t aware of that. I never thought about this until just a few days ago."

"You might want to check with them. You can contact the administrative director, Nikolas Cassadine, for information. Ask him if you can consult with their chief of staff, Dr. Ellen Burgess-Harmon. She is the one responsible for having General Hospital become one of the few hospitals in the area that can perform this type of surgery. She and Nikolas will be advised of any livers which may become available."

"That’s fantastic," A.J. said. "Thank you very much for sharing this information with me."

"It’s our pleasure," Daniel said. "Your organization has helped us many times as we try to make more people aware of the programs that are available in their areas and to get the younger people to start thinking more about the effects drinking and taking drugs will have on their health. We’re happy to assist you any time, A.J. I hope you know that."

"I do. And believe me, this morning, you have helped me immeasurably."

*~*

As soon as A.J. returned to his hotel room, he got on the phone and shortly thereafter, he heard Nikolas Cassadine’s voice in his ear.

"Nikolas! This is A.J. Quartermaine."

"A.J.?! Wow, it’s been a long time."

"Yes, it has. How are you?"

"Fine. I guess I don’t have to ask how you’re doing. I see your name in print all the time. I think it’s great."

"Thanks."

"Is this a business call? Do you have a program or a service you want to offer to us?"

"No, it’s actually a personal business call if that makes sense."

Nikolas chuckled. "No, that doesn’t make sense. Explain, please."

A.J. laughed, too. "Yes, I guess I’d better."

He relayed the details of Keesha’s condition, without mentioning her name, and also what he had learned earlier that morning.

"Is it possible to meet with Dr. Burgess-Harmon? After we consult with my friend’s doctors, of course."

"I’m sure Ellen would be more than happy to meet with you. Let me give you her direct number, and once you’ve worked out the details there, call her. I’m positive something can be arranged. She is very proud of her program and the fact that GH is able to assist in keeping even more people alive."

"Thanks very much, Nikolas. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate this. I’ll be in touch soon."

"Good. If things work out, it sounds as though you might be making an appearance here. You’d better stop by my office to say ‘hello’."

"I will," he assured him. "I definitely will. Thanks again."

"No problem. Good luck. I hope everything works out for your friend."

"Me, too, Nikolas. Me, too."

*~*

Julianna greeted A.J. cordially when he arrived that afternoon.

"Mama had a bad night," she informed him, as soon as he stepped inside. "Michelle, the home care nurse, just left."

"What did she say?" A.J. asked, concerned. "Do we need to do something for your mother?"

"No. Michelle talked to Dr. Williams. He told her to increase Mama’s medication. She’s resting now."

"Did you or your mother talk to the doctor?"

"No. He’ll probably call later to find out how Mama’s doing. A.J.?" she said, as they began to walk towards Keesha’s room.

"Yes?"

"Mama was happy when I told her you were coming. I know you’re helping her. I need to learn to keep how I feel about you to myself."

"I don’t think that’s the answer. I think we both just have to remember to put your mother’s needs above our own."

Julianna nodded as they entered the room. She hung back while A.J. approached the bed.

"Are you feeling better?"

"A little."

"Can we get you anything or do anything for you?"

"Michelle said she was going to call Dr. Williams with an update. She said he might prescribe a stronger medication for me."

"I’ll call his office, Mama," Julianna volunteered. "If he did call in a prescription, I can pick it up."

"Thank you, sweetheart. I’d appreciate that."

Julianna left the room. Keesha reached for A.J.’s hand and squeezed it.

"Last night’s pain terrified me," she confided. "It reminded me how close to the end I really am."

"Keesha, don’t," he said, reaching out to gently stroke her hair and her face. "Do you think maybe your pain was caused by our conversation? Julianna and I agreed not to cause you any stress."

"I got sick, A.J., because I’m not well. My body chose a very effective way to remind me of that fact."

Julianna returned and found her parents sharing a very close and tender moment. She witnessed her father wiping a tear from her mother’s cheek with the pad of this thumb. She heard her mother asking A.J. to hold her, for just a little while, and she watched, with mist-filled eyes, as her father gently enveloped her mother into his strong arms. He seemed to treat her as if she were a precious gift he was afraid would break. Unable to look away, she observed, mesmerized, as her mother laid her head on A.J.’s shoulder and allowed him to offer her the comfort and solace she so obviously needed.

"For however long you need," she heard her father say, "let me be your strength, Keesha. Please let me do this for you."

Julianna silently retreated from the room. She acknowledged her mother needed this time alone with A.J. She left the house to go pick up the medication, believing they wouldn’t even realize she had gone.

*~*

When A.J. heard Keesha’s quiet sobs against his chest, his heart ached for all that he knew Keesha had been shouldering and had been carrying. Alone.

"Go ahead, sweetheart," he whispered against her neck. "Let it out. Let it all out. It’s okay. I’m here for you, Keesha. I’m here."

She continued to cry softly, and he continued to comfort her as best he could.

"Tell me what else you need," he said, when her tears had stopped.

"Hold me closer," she instructed. "Let me feel your warmth, A.J."

He did as she asked. He whispered soothing words in her ear and lovingly massaged her back. Keesha closed her eyes and let his nearness and his words console her. She finally let herself relax completely in his arms. She felt safe. She felt protected. She felt as though she could keep the demons that threatened to possess her at bay. Her head began to clear, and the pain in her body began to ease.

"Thank you," she said, in no hurry to leave his wonderful embrace.

"Keesha, I will do this and more for you anytime you want me to."

She lifted her head and gazed into his worried hazel eyes.

"My time is running out, A.J., and I have a few more things I want to share with you. May I?"

"Certainly, but only if you feel strong enough. I don’t want you to overdo it."

"I feel better," she said.

She leaned back against the propped up pillows but continued to hold A.J.’s hand.

"What do you want to tell me?" he asked, caressing the inside of her wrist with his smooth fingers.

"It’s about Julianna."

"I’m listening."

"As you’ve probably noticed, jewelry is one of our daughter’s main weaknesses. Chocolate is another, but we won’t get into that."

"Noooo," he said and chuckled, glad the mood had lightened a bit. "I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve seen one, maybe even two fingers, that didn’t have a ring on it."

"That child," Keesha said, shaking her head. "She even wears toe rings and must have at least fifty bracelets. I swear sometimes she wears them all. On one wrist!"

A.J. laughed. "At least her jewelry is very tasteful."

"She’s worn jewelry since she was about three. She used to go into my room. She knew exactly where my jewelry box was. She would dress up and be so proud of herself. I couldn’t help but laugh at how she would look sometimes. I have pictures of her in one of the albums upstairs. I’d like you to see them."

"I will," he promised. "I’d love to see what she looked like."

"Because she loves jewelry so much, I decided to purchase a few necklaces, bracelets, rings, and earrings as gifts for her to commemorate special occasions in her life. I also bought cards to go along with each gift, and I’ve written letters to her. The jewelry, cards, and letters are in the bottom drawer of my dresser upstairs. Justus and Dara know about it. In fact, Dara was kind enough to pick up the items I’d selected from a jewelry catalog, and she has my list of when to give Julianna certain items. I want you to know about this, too. Again, everything is included in my Will, but I don’t want Julianna to know. I want my gifts to be surprises for her. Doing this was my way of being able to give to her after I’m gone. She’ll know that I was always thinking about her and that I wanted to be a part of every milestone event in her life. I never want her to forget me, A.J."

"Sweetheart, she won’t. Julianna will never forget you. Never!"

"I think about the things in her life I won’t be a part of, and my heart shatters. The way I felt last night, I don’t think I’m going to make it to see her turn sixteen. I may not even make it through the summer."

Keesha’s voice broke, and she reached for a tissue to dry her eyes.

"Don’t think that way, Keesha. I believe you have every reason to hope for the future."

"Why?" she asked, trying to pull herself together.

"I found out a few things this morning that encouraged me. Do you feel up to hearing about them?"

Keesha nodded.

"Julianna should be a part of this. Would you mind if I go get her?"

"No. If she’s not in the kitchen or the living room, she’s probably upstairs in her room."

"I’ll be right back."

A few minutes later, a concerned A.J. returned to Keesha’s room.

"I looked everywhere I could think of," he said, "but I couldn’t find our daughter. Keesha, I think she’s gone."

Chapter 13 by pinkrose

Chapter 13

When Julianna arrived at the drugstore to pick up her mother's prescription, she stopped at the magazine rack to check out the latest fashion and teen magazines. As she scanned the various covers, a national periodical that advertised an interview with her father caught her eye. On impulse, she grabbed the publication and headed for the counter to pay for her items.

Once outside, she decided to walk a few blocks to a nearby park. She stopped at one of the vendor carts and purchased a diet soda and a bag of hot buttered popcorn. Spotting an oak tree that offered refuge from the blazing sun, she plopped herself down on the dry grass.

After taking a gulp of the refreshing beverage and munching on a handful of popcorn, she bent her legs at the knees and spread the magazine across her jean-clad thighs. She thumbed through the magazine until she reached her father's interview and was treated to a full-page color photo of him. She stared at his picture for a long moment, her mother's words echoing in her mind.

"Your father is right here," she heard her mother say. "Talk to him, Julianna. Ask him whatever questions you want."

Julianna shook her head as if to free herself from her mother's words and began to read the accompanying interview. What she learned astounded her. A.J. had talked openly to the interviewer about his days as an active alcoholic. He mentioned how he had been to rehab three times and how it wasn't until he'd attended "Changes" that any real, lasting progress had taken place in his life. The descriptions of his hospitalizations and the treatments he'd undergone made her physically ill. He talked about going through detox and how his own family had had to tie him down in the hospital bed several times. He talked candidly about how terrifying withdrawal is. The article depicted a man who said he felt as though he were going to die and sometimes wished he had.

The positive spin on the very graphic and detailed interview was that he got to talk about the company he had founded and the strides they were making towards helping others, especially teens, to understand that there was a better answer than drinking and taking drugs.

The article concluded with A.J. proclaiming that people do have a choice and that his program seeks to help them stay on the right course.

When Julianna finished reading the intense article, she leaned her head back against the tall oak and closed her eyes. She tried to imagine what her father must have gone through and knew she couldn't fathom an ordeal such as the one he'd described. The images that flashed in her mind of what his life must have been like back then made her shiver despite the 80 degree weather. After a few moments, she opened her eyes and turned back to the page that contained the photo of A.J.

Would anyone, looking at you now, she thought, believe what you have endured? I have to talk to you.

Once her decision had been made, she ran, not walked, all the way home.

*~*

A.J. and Keesha breathed a collective sigh of relief when they heard Julianna come through the front door. A.J. stood at the end of the hallway.

"How come you left without telling us?" he asked, before he noticed her labored breathing as she reached him. "Why are you out of breath?"

"I...ran...all the way...home."

She leaned against the wall to slow down her heart rate and to catch her breath.

"Why?" A.J. asked, thinking the worst. "Was someone after you?"

She shook her head.

A.J. let her calm down so she could answer him.

"I need...to talk...to you."

"Okay."

"In the kitchen," she said.

"All right, but visit with your mother first."

Julianna, her breathing returning to normal, nodded and entered her mother's room.

"I'm sorry if I worried you," she said.

"You didn't," Keesha assured her daughter. "I thought you probably went to pick up my prescription. I told A.J. you knew he was here."

"Before I left, you two seemed to be sharing...a moment," she said, looking uncomfortable. "I didn't want to interrupt. I thought I'd be back before you noticed I was gone."

"I understand."

"At the drugstore, there...there was a magazine that caught my attention. It has an interview with A.J. I bought it, Mama, and I read it. I...I'd like to talk to him about it. Is that okay?"

"Of course it's okay. Go ahead. A.J. wants to talk to us, too, about something he found out about my condition, but right now, I'm ready to take a nap. When I wake up, the three of us will talk."

"Okay. I'll tell A.J. Sleep well, Mama. I'm glad you're feeling better."

"Thank you."

Julianna pulled the covers tighter around her mother's body and kissed her cheek. Keesha reached to hold her daughter's hand.

"I'm glad you read that magazine."

Julianna smiled. "Me, too."

*~*

When Julianna entered the kitchen, she saw that A.J. had poured them each a tall glass of lemonade and had placed a few homemade chocolate chip cookies on a plate.

"Thank you," she said, taking a seat across from him. "You're getting to know your way around this kitchen."

A.J. nodded and smiled. "I guess I am. You sounded serious. I thought this might take a while. What do you want to talk about?"

"This," Julianna said, placing the publication on the table and turning it to the interview with A.J. "I saw this at the drugstore, and I bought it. I read the entire article. A.J., is what you say in here true?"

"Mind if I glance through the article?" he asked. "I want to make sure I wasn't misquoted."

She nodded and pushed the magazine towards him. While he quickly read it, she drank some of her lemonade and ate a cookie.

"Yes," he said, looking at her after he'd finished reading the interview. "It's true. Why?"

"Because it's horrible!" she exclaimed. "Your own family had you tied down in a hospital bed! That's just cruel!"

"Maybe," he said, "but it was also necessary."

"Why? If you're already in a hospital bed with railings, I presume, why would you have to be tied down?"

"Because of the threat a person heavily intoxicated is to himself or herself and others. Railings wouldn't have kept me in that bed if that's not where I wanted to be."

"But your own family ordered you to be tied to the bed? Why? Why did it have to be them? There must have been other medical personnel who could have looked after you. Did they want to see you strapped down? Did they take some kind of perverse pleasure in treating you like an animal? Is that why? Were they that angry with you? I don't understand, A.J. Help me to understand."

"Sweetheart, I put my family through a lot of agony when I was drinking. Both of my parents are doctors. My father was the chief of staff. I kept messing up. Big time. When they would have to admit me to the hospital, they would have to tie me down. It's standard procedure for a person who is at risk to harm himself or others."

Julianna, in obvious distress, shook her head. "I couldn't imagine ever having to do that to someone. Especially not someone in my family. I can't imagine you having to be strapped to a hospital bed. It sounds like something out of a horror movie."

"That's what it felt like during those demonic times, Julianna. I felt as if I was in a horror movie, and I had been cast as the lead monster."

"Is that why you said...I mean, did you...were you...did you really want to...die? Why would you say that, A.J.? Were you really that miserable that you...that you would have rather been...dead?"

Julianna's voice caught on the last word. She jumped up from her chair, almost knocking it over, and turned away from her father as tears of heartfelt anguish filled her eyes. A.J. stood and crossed to stand behind her. He wanted to touch her, to hold her, but he didn't know if she would flee. Instead he spoke softly.

"Too much alcohol distorts your thinking, your feelings. It blurs the line between reality and fiction. When I was drinking, Julianna, I didn't care about anything or anybody. All I wanted was that next fix. I had to have a drink, no matter what the cost, to myself or to others. I led a miserable life, and yes, sweetheart, sometimes I did believe I would be better off, and everybody else would be, too, if I were no longer around. But once I came out of my alcohol-induced stupor, then I would begin to feel better about myself and my life until something would happen that I would use as an excuse to start drinking again. It's a vicious circle, Julianna, and I don't wish it on anybody."

She turned and stared at her father.

"You talk so clinically about all of this, and yet, what's printed on those pages is your life. How...how can you put yourself on the line like that? How can you be so open about the things you did when you were drinking? Don't you fear ridicule or that people won't want to be associated with you? You must have shocked the man who interviewed you."

"I probably did. I hope I shock more than him, Julianna. If I can't be honest about what I went through, then I can't help anybody. People have to know there's hope. I want people to read what I went through to know they are not alone and to know that someone else has been where they are and has survived and even thrived. I want people, kids especially, who may think drinking is no big deal to read the truth from someone who's been through it. Drinking is advertised as being glamorous. It's supposed to make you popular and fun-loving, but it doesn't, Julianna. The trail of ugliness it leaves in its wake when too much alcohol is consumed is brutal."

"Does your family care about you now that you're sober?"

"For a lot of reasons, Julianna, I'm not in touch with my family. I haven't been since I moved to Manhattan. It just works better for all of us."

"But they know about this, right? They know what you've accomplished and what you're doing, don't they?"

A.J. shrugged. "I honestly don't know."

"But that's terrible! How can you not know what they think, what they feel, whether or not they care about you?"

"Because in order to get sober, I had to make some very difficult choices. My family disowned me. To them, I was never going to get any better. I left Port Charles a broken man. I didn't know what I was going to do or where I was going to go, but my family said they wanted nothing more to do with me, and I knew they meant it. It's true that you have to hit rock bottom. I did."

"You mean you could've ended up, maybe in a gutter somewhere, all alone?"

The thought sent chills down Julianna's spine. She would have never wanted that to happen!

"That could've happened, but for a man who was passing out pamphlets on a street corner."

"About 'Changes'?" she asked.

"Yes. I had nothing, except the clothes on my back when I went to them. They give you shelter, at first, and then, once the alcohol is out of your system, they tell you some very hard, cold facts about what your life has become."

"What made you stick with them? Didn't you want a drink?"

"Julianna, all I wanted was a drink."

"So how did they help you? How did you not drink?"

"I went to a lot of meetings. I still go to AA meetings. I worked with my counselor. I had no family or friends, to speak of, but the people at 'Changes' convinced me I could still have a productive life. They were right."

Julianna shook her head at her own stubbornness. "I was wrong not to have read any of those articles about you. Mama is right, A.J. It took reading about your life for myself to see how far you've come. I realize I could have and should have asked you questions instead of just assuming that your life had been easy. I understand now that it hasn't been easy at all."

"I'm glad you took the time to read that article, and I'm pleased you wanted to ask me these questions. I want you to ask me anything, Julianna. Otherwise, I know you'll continue to have doubts, and I don't want that."

She nodded.

His winsome smile managed to chip away more of the ice that had gathered around her heart. She decided it was time to make him an offer, too.

"I want to tell you something, A.J."

"I'm listening."

"It goes both ways. I want you to feel free to ask me about my life, too. I think it's only fair."

"I have so many questions I want to ask you. It might take all night."

"That's okay," she said, realizing she wanted to spend more time with A.J. "If Mama is still asleep, let's continue to talk."

 

Chapter 14 by pinkrose

Chapter 14

Keesha's piercing cry of pain ended any further conversation. A.J. and Julianna raced to her room and gasped at what they saw. Drenched in perspiration and yet shivering uncontrollably, Keesha told them her pain had returned in full force. A.J. wasted no time calling 911.

"The paramedics are on their way," he informed them when he returned to the room.

"So...co-cold," Keesha whispered, her teeth chattering.

"It's the fever, Mama. Help is on the way."

A few minutes later, A.J. heard the wail of the siren and headed for the front door to show the EMTs to Keesha's room.

One immediately began to examine her while another set up the machine to take an EKG.

"Her temperature's 104," the first one announced. "Get an IV going, stat," he told his younger partner.

"Do you know what happened?" the first one asked A.J. and Julianna.

"She wasn't feeling well last night and this morning," A.J. answered. "She has a diseased liver. The home care nurse gave her some medication."

"Can you show me her medications?"

"I'll get them for you," Julianna said.

She returned with her mother's medicine bottles and handed them to the paramedic. He jotted down all the information and gave them back to her. He saw that Keesha almost convulsed in the bed.

"I'm going to give her something that will relieve the pain, and then we'll get her to the hospital. She has an infection somewhere in her body. If it attacks her liver..."

He let the remainder of his sentence hang in the air when he saw Julianna's eyes widen in alarm.

"Why don't you wait outside?" he advised them. "We're going to get your mother to the hospital as quickly as we can."

"Come on, Julianna," A.J. said. "We need to let them tend to your mother."

As soon as they stepped outside, the paramedic closed the door.

"This can't be it," Julianna said, shaking her head. "Dr. Williams warned us about possible infections and how dangerous they were because of Mama's weakened immune system, but this can't be it, A.J. That infection, whatever it is, can't be in Mama's liver. It can't be! It just can't!"

Another cry of pain sent Julianna to her mother's door. A.J. had to restrain her.

"I want to be in there, A.J.! Mama needs me! Mama needs us!!"

"I know you want to be in there, but you can't, sweetheart. Not right now."

"But Mama is in pain! Don't you care?!"

"Of course I care, but we have to let the EMTs do their job. Right now, we'd only be in the way."

"I feel so helpless. I want Mama to know she's not alone."

"She knows, Julianna. Your mother knows we're not going to leave her."

She nodded but didn't say anything. When she heard the click of the door opening, she knew she had to be strong for her mother, who was being wheeled out of the room on a stretcher.

"I'm going with you in the ambulance, Mama," Julianna announced. "I'll be with you. I'm not going to leave you."

"I'm sorry, miss," the younger paramedic said, "but we're going to be monitoring and continuing to work on your mother in the ambulance. Your presence would hinder us."

"I'll take you, Julianna," A.J. said.

The EMTs continued to wheel Keesha down the hallway as they spoke. Julianna followed her out to the ambulance and told her mother that she loved her and that they would be at the hospital soon to be with her.

*~*

"We need to pack some things," Julianna said.

Nervous energy made her scurry around Keesha's room.

"I'll help," A.J. said. "Tell me what she needs."

"Mama likes to have her Bible with her. It's in the nightstand drawer. She also keeps a list of her medications in there. We should bring that, too. I'll pack everything else. I know what she needs."

A.J. walked to the nightstand and opened the drawer. He saw the blue leather-bound Bible lying in the drawer. He withdrew it and placed it on the mattress. He unfolded several pieces of paper, thinking he might find the list of medications. What he saw lying in the back of the drawer surprised him. Along with various papers, Keesha had kept a photograph. It was a picture of her and A.J., taken in front of the Quartermaine Christmas tree in 1997. A.J. stared at it in wonder. He planned to return it to her, but for just a little while, he wanted to keep it. He tucked it into his shirt pocket and continued to look for the medication list.

"Do we have everything?" he asked his daughter a few minutes later, when he saw her zipping up the overnight bag.

"I think so."

Julianna, who had been racing to get the items packed into the bag, took a moment to glance around the room. When her eyes fell on her mother's empty bed, her chest became heavy. She suddenly found it hard to breathe.

"Mama's really sick," she said, speaking as if to herself. "She's in so much pain. This is what Dr. Williams said would happen. He tried to prepare us for this, but now that it's actually happening..."

Her voice shook as she began to tremble with fear. She tried to stop the tears, but they came anyway. Without realizing what she was doing, she reached out for her father. A.J. embraced her lovingly and whispered words of comfort and encouragement. She buried her face in the fabric of his shirt and allowed herself to be consoled by him. A.J. gave her all the time she needed.

"Thank you," she said, when she had calmed down. "I...I guess you can tell I'm feeling overwhelmed."

"We both are," he assured her. "But I'll be here for you and your mother, Julianna. I want you to know that."

"I do," she said and offered him a weak smile.

She grabbed the strap of the overnight bag.

"We need to get to the hospital," she said, not wanting to give herself a chance to think about what had just taken place.

*~*

Once they arrived and found out that Dr. Williams was examining Keesha, they took a seat in the waiting room and filled out the required forms.

"When can we see her?" Julianna asked the nurse on duty when she returned the clipboard, pen and completed forms.

"Dr. Williams knows you're here. He'll talk to you soon. Just take a seat in the waiting room, please."

"What did the nurse say?" A.J. asked.

"She said Dr. Williams knows we're here, and he'll see us soon."

"And Justus? What did he say?"

Julianna had called him on her cell phone from A.J.'s car.

"He said he and Dara will be here by tonight."

A.J. nodded.

As the minutes slowly ticked by, Julianna and A.J. became lost in their own thoughts. Julianna jumped up when she saw Dr. Williams approaching them.

"Is my mother okay?" she asked, as soon as he reached them.

"She's asleep," he informed them.

"What's the diagnosis?" A.J. asked.

"Keesha does have an infection. The good news is it has not spread to her liver. The bad news is she is not strong enough right now to undergo surgery should a liver become available."

"When can we see her, Doctor?" Julianna asked.

"I'm keeping her in the ER for a while longer to monitor her condition. Later on, she'll be moved to ICU. You'll each be able to visit her for ten minutes. She needs her rest and antibiotics. I'll let you know when she's been moved."

"Thank you," A.J. said.

A.J. and Julianna returned to their seats in the waiting room.

"That's good the infection isn't in her liver," Julianna said.

A.J. agreed.

"But I know Mama's getting weaker," she added. "That's why she's so sick. If Mama doesn't get better, then she won't be able to have the operation, which means Mama will..."

Her voice trailed off. She couldn't bring herself to say the word.

Encouraged that she had turned to him earlier, A.J. tentatively placed his arm around her shoulders and was heartened when, instead of pulling away as he feared she might, she laid her head on his shoulder.

"We need more time," she said, her voice filled with sadness. "Mama has to recover from this. She has to!"

Julianna closed her eyes, wanting to block out everything. A.J. held her and let her rest, hoping she was drawing some comfort from him.

*~*

Two hours later, A.J. saw Dr. Williams heading their way. He gently tapped Julianna's arm to wake her up. Groggy and disoriented, it took her a few seconds to remember where she was. She stood up when the doctor arrived.

"Keesha has been moved to ICU," he told them. "You can go to the fifth floor. One visitor at a time for ten minutes only."

"Okay. Thank you, Dr. Williams."

They rode the elevator to the fifth floor and then approached the nurses' station.

"We'd like to see Keesha Ward," A.J. said.

The nurse checked her computer and then nodded.

"Who wants to go first?"

"Her daughter would," A.J. said.

"Okay. Follow me, please."

Julianna smiled gratefully at A.J. and then followed the nurse into Keesha's room. Her mother had been in the hospital before, but this was the first time she'd been in ICU. Julianna tried not to freak when she saw how many machines were hooked up to her mother. She took a seat next to the bed and gently held Keesha's warm hand in her own. Her mother seemed to be breathing normally. Julianna knew that was a good sign.

"I know you need your rest, Mama, so I don't want to disturb you. I just hope you can feel my presence and all the love I'm sending your way. I know you're going to get better. I have to believe that, and I do."

Julianna tenderly caressed her mother's hand as she watched her sleep.

"We brought a few things from home that I know you like to have with you. I'll unpack them and I'll tell the nurse so she knows what you have."

Julianna made quick work of the few items she had packed, and then she carefully placed her mother's cherished Bible on top of the table next to her bed.

"I know you will appreciate seeing that when you wake up. I hope you're resting comfortably. I'm sorry you've been in such pain. Feel better, Mama. I love you so much."

Julianna stood over her mother and stroked Keesha's hair with her fingers. She entwined her fingers with her mother's and pressed them together.

"I hope you can feel that, Mama. I'm here with you. Always."

The nurse entered the room. Julianna nodded, knowing it meant her time was up.

"A.J. is going to visit you. Justus and Dara are arriving tonight. I'll visit you again, Mama, as soon as they let me. I love you."

Julianna kissed her mother's cheek and then exited the room.

*~*

"Please do me a favor?" Julianna asked A.J. before he entered Keesha's room.

"What do you need?"

"Will you...will you read Mama the Twenty-Third Psalm before you leave? It's her favorite one, and I think she would really like to hear you recite it to her. I left her Bible on the table next to her bed."

"Sure," he said, familiar with the Psalm. "I can do that."

"Thank you."

A.J. walked into Keesha's room and was immediately reminded just how sick she was. She looked like a waif lying in the bed. But her face was not contorted in pain for which he was thankful. She seemed to be at peace.

He sat where Julianna had and held her hand in his. He also brushed the hair from her forehead.

"Like Julianna, I am hoping we have more time together. I know just how strong you are, sweetheart, and I know you can rebound from this. There is a liver out there for you, Keesha. I believe that with everything I am. We just have to get you well so you can receive it. I know you need to rest, so I'm not going to say too much. Just know I am here and that I will be with you and our daughter for as long as you need me. You are one incredible lady, Keesha Ward, and I know you have more time left on this Earth."

He spent the next few minutes watching her sleep and holding her hand, and then his eyes traveled to the Bible sitting on her table.

"Julianna asked me to read you the Twenty-Third Psalm," he said, picking up the Book. "I don't have much practice at this, as you probably know, but as soon as I locate the Psalm, I'll read it to you. I hope this brings you comfort, Keesha."

He found the Psalm and after clearing his throat, he began to recite the words of the beloved and probably most well-known Psalm out loud. When he finished, he reverently closed the Bible and returned it to the table. He reached for Keesha's hand once more.

"I know with the way you've been feeling, you probably would rather be beside those still waters, sweetheart, and I know you fear no evil. I also know that you believe you will be going to a better place when you leave this Earth. Call me selfish, Keesha, but I don't want you going there for a long, long time. Sleep, sweetheart. And when you feel better, come back to us. Because we need you. So very, very much."

 

Chapter 15 by pinkrose

Chapter 15

"Are you hungry?" A.J. asked Julianna once they had driven away from the hospital. "Should we stop somewhere to eat?"

"I can cook something at the house," she said without enthusiasm.

"I don't want you to have to do that. Do you like Chinese food? We can get take-out if you want."

"Sure. That's fine."

She directed A.J. to the nearest Chinese restaurant and stayed in the car after telling him what she wanted. When he returned, she was sound asleep. He didn't wake her until they arrived at the house.

"I don't feel like eating," she said. "I just want to go upstairs."

"All right. When you're hungry, the food will be here."

She nodded and then left A.J. alone in the kitchen.

He ate some of the food and then put the remainder in the refrigerator. He'd bought extra in case Justus and Dara were hungry when they arrived.

He returned to his seat at the kitchen table and thought about their impending arrival. It had been a long time since he'd seen either of them. He hadn't wanted to ask Keesha, but he assumed they wouldn't be too tolerant of him. He'd managed, through his own choices as well as those of other people's, to avoid having much contact with anyone from Port Charles. He realized that was probably about to change.

Thinking about Port Charles led him to pull the picture from his pocket. He took the time to study it more closely and realized he and Keesha looked happy, even though his world had just been turned upside down because Carly had announced that Jason was the father of her unborn baby.

Looking at the picture, he was reminded of how unwavering and committed Keesha had been in her support of him. She had been the only one on his side. Even Robin Scorpio had kept Jason and Carly's secret for far too long, and only when she realized her relationship with Jason was over, did she tell A.J. what she had believed to be the truth at that time.

"Why *didn't* I ever call you?"

He spoke softly to the picture as he touched Keesha's face.

Hearing Julianna's footsteps on the stairs, he returned the picture to his pocket and waited for her to enter.

"Did you sleep?" he asked.

"A little," she said, sliding onto a chair. "Mostly, I wrote in my journal."

"You keep a diary," he said. "That's nice."

"I like to write down my thoughts while they're fresh in my mind," she elaborated.

A.J. nodded. "How long have you kept a journal?"

"Mama gave me my first one when I was ten. She said she was tired of seeing me writing on napkins and scraps of paper."

Julianna chuckled at the memory of her mother shaking her head at her daughter's writing habits.

"Sounds like maybe you're going to be a writer."

"Not stories," she clarified. "But I do write poems, and I'm starting to learn how to write my own songs."

"Really?" A.J. said.

Julianna could tell he was impressed.

"I'm not very good," she admitted, "but I want to learn the craft. It's fun."

"Has your mother ever seen any of your songs?"

"A few. Mama thinks it's great that I want to become a songwriter, but she loves it when I play the piano and sing. Those are some of her favorite and our most special times."

"I would love to hear you play and sing some time, too," A.J. ventured. "I'd like to see the songs you've written, too, *if* you ever want to share them with me."

"I keep my songs pretty much to myself," she said. "My best friend Shelly doesn't even know I've written any. I know they're not that good, but they're very private to me."

"I understand."

"But," she offered, truly not wanting to hurt him, "I will play the piano and sing a song for you some time. When I'm in a better mood. Okay?"

"That would be wonderful," A.J. said and smiled. "Whenever you feel like it, Julianna. No pressure."

"No pressure," she repeated.

"Are you sure you don't want to eat?"

"Well," she said, realizing her stomach was growling. "Maybe I will have some chow mein."

A.J. warmed a dish of chicken chow mein in the microwave and sat with her while she ate.

"Can we call the hospital after I've eaten?" she asked. "I want to find out how Mama's doing and when we can see her again."

"Of course. You call while I clean up."

"A.J., you don't have to wait on me. I can rinse my dishes."

"I know, but I want to."

"Where do you live in Manhattan?" she suddenly asked.

"I live in a penthouse apartment on Park Avenue overlooking Central Park."

"Ritzy area," Julianna said.

She seemed amused more than anything.

A.J. shrugged and then gave her a small smile. "You could say that."

"Mama and I always planned to go to Manhattan to stay for the weekend, but we never made it."

"You should still plan on it. I believe your mother is going to get better and is going to get a new liver. And just think. Now you and your mother will have a place to stay."

"With you?" she asked, trying to wrap her mind around *that* concept.

"Of course. You're welcome any time, Julianna, and so is your mother."

"A.J., I have to be honest. I haven't thought much about the future. I know you're here now, but down the road? I don't view you as my father, and I don't think I ever will. I see you as someone who is just making a stop in my life at this particular time. I don't mean to hurt you, really I don't, but when you start talking about the future, well, frankly, it scares me because all I care about is that my mother survives."

"I guess I got carried away with the idea that you would want to see where I lived. I understand it's not a priority in your life."

"I just think we need to take things one day at a time. We don't know what's going to happen with Mama, and that's where my concern is."

"You're right. Let's just concentrate on Keesha getting well."

*~*

When Julianna called ICU, the nurse on duty told her there had been no change in her mother's condition.

"When can we see her again?"

"Tomorrow morning. Dr. Williams left instructions that you can visit her in the morning for ten minutes and in the afternoon for ten minutes."

"Okay. Thank you."

As soon as Julianna relayed the message to A.J., the doorbell rang. Julianna answered it, and seconds later heartfelt hugs ensued.

"I'm so glad you're here," Julianna gushed. "I know Mama appreciates it, too."

"Is your father here?" Justus asked.

Julianna nodded. "He's in the kitchen."

"How's your mother doing?" Dara asked, as they headed in that direction.

"I just called the hospital. The nurse said she's the same. She has an infection, but it hasn't gone to her liver, thank goodness. She's in ICU."

"She's never been in ICU before," Dara said, alarmed.

"I know." Julianna frowned. "Mama is really sick. I'm so afraid she's not going to make it."

Dara and Justus shared a concerned look before Dara took Julianna into her arms and hugged her again.

"We have to stay positive," she said to the young girl. "Keep the faith, baby girl. Okay?"

"I've been trying to," Julianna said. "I'm so glad you guys are here."

"And we're going to stay for as long as you and your mother need us," Justus said.

They reached the kitchen and saw A.J.

"Hello, A.J.," Justus said, keeping his voice neutral.

"Hi, Justus, Dara. It's been a long time."

"Hi, A.J.," Dara said, following her husband's lead.

"Sit down," Julianna said. "We have Chinese food, if you would like some, or I can cook you something."

"We're fine," Dara assured her. "We ate on the way here."

"Can we get you something to drink?" A.J. offered.

"Maybe later," Justus said. "Right now, we want to hear about Keesha."

Julianna told them what had happened.

"What is her doctor saying?" Dara asked.

"He said the infection isn't in her liver but that Mama couldn't undergo surgery if a liver became available because she's too weak."

"I'd like to talk to Dr. Williams tomorrow," Justus said.

"I want to go to the hospital in the morning," Julianna said. "The nurse said we can visit for ten minutes. Maybe he'll be there?"

"Maybe. If not, I'll call his office."

A.J. saw an opening and decided to take it. "Before Keesha got sick, I was trying to find out as much as I could about liver transplants. I never got a chance to mention this to Keesha or Julianna, for that matter, but General Hospital in Port Charles has the capability to perform liver transplants. I realize Keesha couldn't have one done now, but I'm believing she's going to pull through this."

"We all are," Dara said.

"So if the opportunity presents itself, maybe we could mention this to Dr. Williams, too, just so he's aware of another possible avenue?"

"I guess it wouldn't hurt. He never mentioned GH to us when we talked about Keesha being on the list for a new liver."

"Mama would have to go to Port Charles if she were to have the surgery?"

"That's one of the possibilities," Justus said, "but it does make sense."

"Keesha asked me not to mention her name, but I've talked with Nikolas Cassadine. He was very helpful. I was going to try to set up a meeting with Dr. Ellen Burgess-Harmon, the chief of staff, if Keesha said she wanted to proceed, but with her getting sick..."

"That changed everything," Dara said.

A.J. nodded.

"Maybe we should still mention it to her doctor," Justus decided. "The more options the better at this point."

"That's how I was viewing it, too," A.J. said.

"Is there anything you need, Julianna?" Dara asked.

She shook her head. "Just for Mama to get well."

Dara nodded, smiled and tenderly brushed Julianna's hair with her fingers.

"We got a suite at a nearby hotel," she said. "You're welcome to stay with us, Julianna."

"Thank you, but I think I'll stay here."

"A.J., where have you been staying?" Justus asked.

"I have a room at the Hilton, but I've stayed here a couple of nights, too."

When Justus' eyebrows shot up, A.J. quickly explained.

"I slept on the couch in the living room."

"Where are you staying tonight?" Justus wanted to know.

"I hadn't thought about it," A.J. admitted. "If Julianna wants to be alone, I could go back to the hotel."

"You don't have to," Julianna spoke up. Her words surprised Justus and Dara. "I'd like it if A.J. stayed here."

"Is that really what you want, Julianna?" Justus asked.

"Yes," she said. "Plus, I think Mama would be happy knowing that A.J. was here. Mama has enjoyed having A.J. here. I can tell. It's okay with me if he stays. We can keep each other company."

"If you're sure..." Justus said, still perplexed by Julianna's decision but not wanting to cause trouble.

"I'm sure."

"Well," Dara said, "it's been a long day for us. If you don't need anything, we're going to head for the hotel."

"I'm fine," Julianna said, rising from the chair to give each of them a hug and a kiss. "Thank you so much for being here. I love you."

"We love you, too, baby girl," Dara said. "We'll call you in the morning to find out what time you want to go to the hospital."

"Okay."

They said goodnight to A.J. and then Julianna walked them to the door.

"We'll talk more tomorrow, okay?"

She nodded.

"I almost forgot," Dara said.

She pulled out a business card from the hotel and handed it to Julianna.

"There's the phone number. We're in Room 515. If you need anything at all, you call us. We don't care what time it is. Got that?"

"I got it. Thank you so much."

"We love you," Justus said, enveloping her into his muscled arms. "We're going to take good care of you and your mother."

"I know."

They said their good-byes. Once the car had pulled away, Julianna locked up the front door and then returned to the kitchen.

"They're very protective of me," she said, by way of explanation.

"I think it's great," A.J. said.

"They only want what's best for me."

"I saw that. Believe it or not, Julianna, I want what's best for you, too."

"I know," she said, "that's why I told them it was okay if you stayed here."

"Is that really what you want?"

"Yes. If it wasn't, I would have said so."

"Okay. I just wanted to be sure."

"I knew this was going to be awkward, but they are my family, A.J. They're Mama's family, too. I know Justus is your cousin," she added. "Mama explained the relationship to me, but he will go along with what I want as long as he knows I won't be hurt. Maybe you and Justus can work out your differences."

"Maybe," A.J. said, although he didn't feel hopeful at that moment.

"He only wants to see Mama and me happy. That's all he's ever wanted."

A.J. nodded. "I'm grateful for him and Dara. Truly I am."

Julianna smirked. "You don't look very grateful, but what about this? How about if I play a song on the piano for you? I might even sing."

"Do you feel up to it?"

"Yes. Music helps me to relax. C'mon," she said, walking out of the kitchen. "Let's go into the living room."

While A.J. sat across from her so he could watch her fingers as they flew across the keys, she turned on a few lights, and then she lifted the top of the piano bench and removed some sheet music. She placed in on the holder in front of her, got comfortable on the bench, and began to warm up her nimble fingers and her voice. When she felt confident, she turned to her father.

"This is one of my mother's favorite songs," she said, her voice suddenly quiet. "I think I'm beginning to understand why."

She began to play and sing. Her lilting voice amazed A.J. He couldn't believe what a lovely singing voice his own daughter possessed. She sang with passion. She sang with feeling. If A.J. closed his eyes, he could almost see Keesha's grandmother, Mary Mae. The strength, conviction and the purity of Julianna's voice mesmerized A.J. When he finally realized what a beautiful singer his daughter was, the song was almost half over. It was then that the words hit him, and suddenly, he knew why Julianna had said it was one of her mother's favorite songs and that she was beginning to understand why. He realized it epitomized everything Keesha stood for and believed in. He couldn't help but to believe that Keesha thought about him when she heard the song. He listened carefully as Julianna sang the song one more time. Just for him.

*~*
Kiss today goodbye,
The sweetness and the sorrow
Wish me luck, the same to you
But I can't regret
What I did for love, what I did for love
*~*
Look my eyes are dry
The gift was ours to borrow
It's as if we always knew,
And I won't forget what I did for love,
What I did for love
*~*
Gone,
Love is never gone
As we travel on,
Love's what we'll remember
*~*
Kiss today goodbye,
And point me t'ward tomorrow.
We did what we had to do
Won't forget, can't regret
What I did for
Love

*~*

When Julianna had finished the song, she closed the cover on the piano keys and turned to look at her father. The tears in his eyes surprised her.

"That was absolutely beautiful, Julianna. You have a wonderful voice. Thank you for sharing your gift with me."

Emotional herself, she nodded and stood to go to her room. She was exhausted and hoped sleep would come. At the doorway, she stopped and looked at her father.

"Can I tell you something, A.J.?"

"Yes."

"Mama loved you, and I'm beginning to think she still does. Why didn't you ever think about her?"

Julianna left A.J. wondering if those words were going to haunt him for the rest of his life. Alone in the room and with the lyrics to the song his daughter had so brilliantly sang still swimming in his head, he pulled the picture from his pocket and stared at it for the longest time. He could draw only one conclusion.

"I have to be the biggest idiot who was ever born."

(Song credit: "What I Did For Love" - from the musical "A Chorus Line")

Chapter 16 by pinkrose

Chapter 16

A.J. woke to the smell of French Roast coffee. He entered the kitchen and saw his daughter at the stove, cooking what looked to be a ham and cheese omelet.

"Good morning," he said.

"Mornin’," she returned. "There’s coffee if you want a cup."

"I do," he said, opening the cupboard to retrieve a mug. "That omelet looks and smells delicious. How long have you known how to cook?"

"Several years," she replied as she served the breakfast. "I love to cook. Mama and I enjoy baking, too."

They sat at the table and ate their food.

"I bet you are a fast-food junkie," she said and laughed.

"No," A.J. defended. "Not really. I do eat out a lot, that’s true, but I try to eat healthy."

"Maybe you should have someone like that Cook person to make your meals."

A.J. shook his head. "One Cook in my lifetime is enough for me."

"I’m surprised kitchens don’t terrify you."

He laughed. "I think they did for a while."

"So you don’t have anyone who cooks for you?"

A.J. shook his head.

"How about a live-in maid or a cleaning lady?"

"I have neither. I am proud to say I take care of my own apartment. I even do windows."

Julianna laughed. A.J. loved hearing the sweet sound.

"I actually don’t mind cleaning," he continued. "It’s therapeutic. I can take out my aggressions on the vacuum cleaner."

"Do you have a lot? Of aggressions, I mean."

"No. I have a few, now and then, but compared to twelve years ago, I live a pretty normal life."

"Are you a loner?" she asked, her eyes peering at him over her glass of orange juice.

"If you mean am I alone, the answer is yes. But I have managed to form a few good friendships. I socialize. I also have business functions I have to attend. I keep very busy."

"So you’re alone but not lonely."

"May I be honest with you?"

She nodded.

"Until I came here, I didn’t think I was lonely. But now that I know I have a daughter, I’ll never look at my life the same way again. I love you, Julianna. I know you may never love me, and I can respect that, but please believe me when I tell you that there will never be a day or even an hour that goes by when I won’t wonder what you are doing and if you’re all right."

"But, A.J...." she said, unprepared for this declaration from him.

He cut her off. His tone was firm. "It’s my right as a father to care about you and to wonder how you are. No one can take that away from me. No one."

*~*

Julianna thought about her father’s impassioned words while she got ready to go to the hospital. She realized she liked knowing that A.J. would always care about her and want the best for her. It comforted her to know she had someone else on her side, looking out for her best interests. She had no doubt that A.J. was in her corner and probably always would be.

When Julianna came downstairs, she was surprised to see that Dara and Justus had arrived. After they hugged, Dara told her they would be taking her to the hospital to see her mother, and then they were treating her to a nice, leisurely lunch.

Julianna thanked them, and then she glanced at A.J. He saw the puzzled look on her face and was quick to reassure her.

"It’s okay, Julianna. I’m going to head back to the hotel. I need to return a few business calls and check my e-mail. If your mother is awake, please tell her I'm thinking of her, and I hope she's feeling better. I’ll visit her tonight."

"All right."

The disappointment she felt that he wouldn't be accompanying them amazed her. She started to walk towards the front door with Justus and Dara when she abruptly turned around and ran back to her father. She gave him a quick hug.

"I’m going to miss you," she said, surprising herself even as she knew the words were true.

A.J.’s heart soared, but he didn’t let his happiness show.

"I’m going to miss you, too," he told her, "but it’s only fair that Dara and Justus get some alone time with you."

She nodded and said good-bye, only after he assured her that he would see her later.

*~*

After A.J. had showered and dressed in his hotel room, he used his cell phone to call Skye.

"A.J.!" she said, happy to hear from him. "What’s going on?"

"I’m still in Philadelphia and will probably be here even longer than I originally thought."

"Is everything okay?" she asked, immediately concerned.

"Not really, but I’m hoping for the best."

"I’m sorry to hear that," she said sincerely.

"Thanks. Bring me up to date. What’s the latest?"

Skye began to fill him in on the deadlines they’d met, new ones that had been issued, and the budget projections for various programs. When he asked what calls he needed to return, she ran down the list of names and phones numbers. After she had to repeat one name and number four times, she stopped.

"A.J., are you even listening to me?"

"Yes, I am. I just want to make sure I have the right information. Tell it to me again."

"You’re distracted," she declared and wouldn’t give him anymore messages.

"I’m not distracted," he retorted. "My pen ran out of ink. That’s all."

"Yeah, right," she said and snickered. "It’s a woman, isn’t it, A.J.? Whatever this is you’re doing in Philly involves a woman, doesn’t it?"

"Skye, please, I told you I can’t talk about it."

"Because it involves a woman," she insisted. "C’mon, A.J. We’ve shared a lot over the years. You can confide in me. You know I’m trustworthy."

"Where’s your husband?" he asked, exasperated. "I need those messages, Skye!"

"All right, all right," she said, knowing how far to push him. "You obviously are not paying attention, so I will send them to you via e-mail. Okay?"

"Yes, that will be fine. Any other pressing issues I should be aware of?"

"Not that I can think of. If something comes up, I’ll be in touch."

"Sounds good."

"I didn’t mean to push, A.J., but I am concerned."

"I know. You care about me. I care about you, too. And you’re right. This situation does involve a woman, but it’s not what you think."

"If you do need to talk, I’m here."

"Thanks. I'll be able to tell you about this some day, just not right now. I appreciate your concern. I know you guys are doing a great job. Give my best to everyone there and don’t forget to send me those messages!"

Skye laughed. "Yes, sir, Mr. Quartermaine, sir! I’m typing an e-mail to you as we speak. See how multi-talented I am."

A.J. rolled his eyes, but he had to laugh. "Good-bye, my dearest Skye."

"Bye, sweetie. Take care of yourself, okay?"

"I will. You take care, too, and give my best to Tom."

*~*

Later that afternoon, A.J. was surprised when he heard a knock on his hotel room door. Not expecting a maid or room service, he looked through the peephole and was pleased to see Julianna’s face. He opened the door and welcomed her, Dara and Justus into his room.

"How’s Keesha?" he immediately asked.

"Mama’s better, A.J.!" Julianna gushed. "Her fever broke, and Dr. Williams said the medicine is working. Isn’t that great news?!"

"It sure is."

"Her liver was unaffected by this illness," Justus said. "If Keesha continues to improve, they’ll move her out of ICU tomorrow."

"That’s excellent. Was she awake? Did you get to talk to her?"

"That’s the only bad part," Julianna said. "Mama was sleeping, but the doctor said she needed it, so we didn’t disturb her. Maybe she’ll be awake tonight! You’re still going to the hospital, right?"

"Yes, I was planning to."

"We were going to take Julianna grocery shopping," Dara said, "and then head back to the hospital. Afterwards, we thought we’d go to dinner. You’re more than welcome to join us, A.J."

"Yes," Justus affirmed. "It’s no problem if you would like to come with us."

"If you’re sure I’m not intruding..."

"You’re not," Dara confirmed.

"Then I would like to," A.J. said.

Julianna’s smile was all the encouragement A.J. needed to know he had made the right decision.

Chapter 17 by pinkrose

Chapter 17

An awake and somewhat alert Keesha greeted her daughter when she entered the room.

"Mama! I'm so happy you're awake. Are you feeling better?"

"Yes."

Julianna gently hugged her mother before taking a seat.

"Dr. Williams said you'll be out of ICU tomorrow."

"I heard that, too, from one of the nurses."

"Maybe you'll be able to come home soon."

"I hope so. Have you been staying at the house by yourself?"

Julianna shook her head. "A.J. stayed with me last night. Dara and Justus are here, too."

"How's that going?" Keesha asked, her brow furrowing.

Her daughter shrugged. "Not too bad, considering. We're all going to dinner after we leave here."

Keesha couldn't hide her surprise.

"You are our main concern, Mama."

*~*

Julianna's words were confirmed by Dara and Justus when they each spent a few minutes with her. Dara assured her dearest friend that Justus and A.J. were on their best behavior, for her sake and the sake of her daughter.

"You're not going to fight with A.J., right?" Keesha asked Justus, when it was his turn to visit.

Justus laughed. "There will be no fighting."

"I'm serious," she said, with a spurt of energy that surprised them both. "You know how I feel, Justus. I need you to respect my wishes."

"I do, Keesha. Besides, he doesn't seem to be causing any trouble. He actually appears to be helping."

"Don't sound so shocked."

"But I am. I have to be honest, don't I?"

"I suppose. I just want things to be calm for Julianna's sake."

"They are. You don't have to worry, Keesha. We all want the same thing: for you to get better."

*~*

A.J. smiled when he entered Keesha's room and saw that she was feeling better. At her request, he reassured her that everything was fine on the home front.

"Julianna played the piano and sang for me last night."

Again, Keesha couldn't hide her surprise.

"She did? A.J., that's wonderful. She must be feeling comfortable around you. She doesn't sing for just anybody. I think she really likes you."

"We have been getting to know each other better. She's asking me questions and letting me ask her questions."

"She told me she read a magazine that had an interview with you. I think it must have made a huge impact on her."

"We talked about it. What she read bothered her."

"What did the article say?"

"The guy wanted me to talk candidly about my alcoholism and what I went through, so I did. I think some of the images and scenes I described disturbed Julianna a lot, but they were all true, and I told her that."

"It seems to have brought her closer to you and for that, I'm grateful."

"Me, too. I love her, Keesha. I know she may never love me, but I cannot imagine her not being in my life. When I found out that Michael wasn't my son, I gave up hope of ever becoming a father. I just figured it wasn't meant to be, and that the world would probably be better off if I didn't father any children."

"That sounds like the old A.J. talking," Keesha gently admonished.

"Yeah, I know, but I can't help it. He surfaces every once in a while. Finding out about Julianna has been one of the best things to ever happen to me. When she answered the door that first time, somehow I knew she was mine, even though I had no confirmation. I just knew Julianna was my daughter. Thank you, Keesha, for allowing me into her life."

"I didn't know what to expect," Keesha admitted. "I struggled with my guilt for so many years, but I told myself I was doing the right thing. You had moved on, and I needed to do the same. When Justus told me about what happened to Sonny and Carly and how the rumor around town was that you were not Michael's father, I figured you would be devastated. I wondered if news like that would make you start drinking again. I was happy for you, A.J., when Justus told me you seemed to be taking the truth in stride. But I still didn't know if I should bring you into Julianna's life. When I got sick, then I knew I had to."

"I've come to terms with your reasons, Keesha. I wish I could've been a part of Julianna's life earlier, but I know I wasn't in a good place for a long time. I wouldn't have wanted her to have witnessed that part of my life. I'm sorry it took you getting sick to give me this chance, but I am grateful for every moment I have. With both of you."

"I have a confession to make. One thing I never told Julianna about was Michael. I thought it would only add to her resentment of you. But now I think it would help her to understand you even more if you told her about Michael. She would see that you have always wanted to be a father, and she'll know, without a doubt, that she is the one who has made that possible for you. What do you think, A.J.? I think Julianna should know about Michael. Don't you?"

Chapter 18 by pinkrose

Chapter 18

Julianna and A.J. left Dara and Justus after agreeing to meet at the hospital the following morning. Justus said that since Keesha was feeling better, maybe they could talk to her doctor about her liver transplant.

"What about you, Julianna?" A.J. asked when they arrived at the house. "Do you want me to stay tonight or go back to my hotel?"

"Would you mind staying with me?" she asked.

"Of course not."

Once they were inside, Julianna told A.J. she needed to do a few things in her room.

"That's fine. I need to check my e-mails."

After entering her room and turning on a light, she started up her computer and the Web cam. She realized it had been a couple of days since she'd chatted with Michael. She smiled when she saw him and said "hello."

"Hey, stranger," he responded. "I thought maybe you ran away or somethin'."

"No, I'm still here. Mama had to go to the hospital. She was in ICU, but she's feeling better."

"I'm sorry she's sick, but I'm glad she's feeling better."

"Me, too. I hope she can come home soon."

"So you have the house all to yourself?"

"Nah. My father is staying here. Two of my cousins are here, too, but they're at a hotel."

"Are things going okay with you and your father?"

"Yeah, they are. I never thought I would say this, Michael, but I like him. A lot."

"Really?" he asked, teasing her by sounding shocked.

"Yes, really," she said and giggled. "Why do I think you're not surprised to hear me say that?"

"Cause you don't look miserable, Jule. I'm sure you've already won him over. What do you think it's gonna take for him to completely win you over?"

"You think he's gonna be able to do that to me?"

"Yep, I do. Face it, Jule. You are not unhappy. If you didn't like your father or didn't want to be around him, it would show. Tell me what you guys have been doing."

"Talking mostly," she admitted. "I thought my father was a jerk," she continued, her voice growing quiet, "but he's not, Michael. He's really not. I had a distorted view of him, mostly because I didn't want to like him, and he's shown me different sides of his personality. He really cares about Mama. I still don't know why he never contacted her, but I'm trying to live in the present, the way Mama asked me to. He's here now, and that seems to be enough for my mother. It's beginning to be enough for me, too."

"Wow, Jule, I am impressed. I remember our previous conversations about our parents. We both had so much bitterness and resentment. I never thought you would give your father a fair chance. You never fail to amaze me, lady."

Julianna smiled shyly at his compliment.

"I didn't know I amaze you," she said.

"Are you kidding?" He almost shrieked. "You always amaze me, Jule. You know you're too damn smart for your own good. Tell me more about your father."

"Well, you said you never thought I would give him a chance, and to be honest, I never thought I would either. I didn't want to. I hated that he was here, that he just showed up and expected to be accepted into our lives, but I realized last night that wasn't what he expected at all. I could see he just wants to be a part of our lives, whatever part we allow him. My cousins are not too fond of him because of how he treated Mama, and I could tell he was uncomfortable around them last night because of how they feel about him. He wanted to make things easy for me. He graciously stepped aside and let them have their time with me. He didn't make demands. I'm really starting to admire him. I thought he was coasting through his life while Mama fought for everything she has, but I know now how wrong that thinking was. He's overcome a lot of personal battles."

"You know what, Jule?"

"What?"

"Forget my earlier question. I think he already *has* won you over."

"In some ways, yes," she acknowledged, "but Michael, I don't think of him as my father and I haven't addressed him as my father. I don't know if I can do that. That part doesn't feel right to me."

"But in every way that counts, Jule, isn't he doing what a father is supposed to do?"

*~*

After she finished talking with Michael, Julianna sat on her bed and wrote in her journal. Michael had given her a lot to think about.

He's so wise, she wrote. I love talking with him. He gives me such great advice and a different perspective. I can't believe he's only sixteen, but I guess you grow up fast when you witness murders and kidnappings and bombs exploding. Last year, we wished each other a Happy Birthday. This year, I would like to give him a present, but since we haven't exchanged addresses, I have no idea where to send his gift. But that doesn't mean I can't work on one.

She began to jot down a few lines of a poem that came to her mind. She thought maybe she could write a song for him that would show him just how much he meant to her and record it somehow. She stopped writing and let the images for the song form in her mind. Michael's smiling, compassionate face popped into her head.

I really like him, she wrote a few minutes later when she had gathered her thoughts for the song she wanted to write. I hope we can meet in person some day. I want to ask him about possible girlfriends, but I can't make myself. This was part of our agreement. What we didn't know about the other wouldn't cloud our friendship. But, for me, I think this is turning into more than a friendship.

I'm really starting to like him, she reiterated to her journal. I wonder if he spends any of his free time thinking about me?

*~*

After chatting with Julianna, Michael called his father, on a whim, and asked if they could meet.

"Sure. Do you want to come to my place or meet somewhere?"

"Your place is fine. I'll let Grandma know. I'll be there in a few."

When Dr. Tony Jones learned that his ex-wife Bobbie had been granted full custody of Michael, he found a house in the same neighborhood so he could be close to his son. He wanted them to be able to spend time together so they could get to know each other and bond.

Tony wasn't without sympathy for A.J.'s plight, but he felt he had come full circle since he originally thought, and Carly had led him to believe, that he was Michael's father.

When Michael arrived at Tony's house, a combination pizza was waiting for him.

"I knew you would order a pizza," he said and laughed. "Thanks, Dad."

"You're welcome. You sounded like you had something on your mind. I thought reinforcements were in order."

"I do. You know me so well."

Tony wasn't sure that was true, but he appreciated every compliment Michael gave him.

They sat down on the sofa, and after eating three slices of pizza and chugging a can of soda, Michael was ready to talk.

"I have a friend, who's a girl, but she's not my girlfriend," Michael began.

Tony couldn't hide his smile.

"Dad!" Michael said and blushed. "Don't look at me like that!"

"Sorry. Go ahead. You have a friend who's a girl..."

"Yes, but she's not my girlfriend. We talk a lot and share ideas. We have a lot in common, and I think she's great. But we've never, you know..."

"Dated?" Tony guessed.

"Yeah. We have an unusual relationship, but it works for us. Or, at least, it used to work."

"But now it doesn't because you want to ask her out."

"Well, I don't really know how she feels about me, other than I know she's my friend. How do guys know, Dad? I mean, would there be signs? Could I be missing something? Or does she just not like me that way?"

"What about you?" his father asked. "Have you been giving her any signals? Do you think she knows how you feel about her? You need to make the first move, Michael. If you like this girl, you need to let her know."

"She's younger than me, but only by a year. To the day. We share the same birth date. But she's so smart and funny and kind. I love talking with her. We can spend hours together, and we never run out of things to say."

"She sounds very special."

"She is, Dad. Man, is she ever special."

"Then what are you waiting for? Ask her to go on a date."

"There are a couple of complications," Michael admitted.

He knew he was about to break one of his and Julianna's rules, but he really wanted his father's advice.

"Tell me what they are," Tony encouraged. "Maybe I can help."

"One of them is a rule between her and me, so if I tell you, Dad, you have to promise me you won't tell anybody. Not even Grandma. Please. Swear to me you will keep my confidence."

"Michael, you're scaring me."

"Please, Dad. Promise. It's nothing bad, I swear, but I need to know what I'm about to tell you will stay between us."

"As long as you promise you're not doing anything illegal, I'll keep your secret."

"It's not illegal, Dad. It's just that, well, we haven't actually met. We talk via the computer, the Web cam. We see each other, all the time, but when we first started chatting, we decided to keep things simple between us. I don't know her last name, where she lives, or any of her friends' and relatives' names. The same thing applies to her about me."

"In a way, I think you guys were wise to set the boundaries for chatting on the Internet, but now, it may come back to haunt you. You don't know anything about her. I think, if you really want to get to know her on another level, you're going to have to change your rules. What if she's halfway across the world?"

"I doubt she is because we chat all the time. I think she's in the same time zone as me."

"But what I'm saying is that you don't know that for sure."

"You're right. I don't."

"Would she be upset if you wanted to modify some things about your online relationship?"

"I don't know. I guess I can ask her. She's under a lot of stress right now so I think I better wait. The last thing I want to do is freak her out."

"I can tell you really like this girl, Michael. Your eyes lit up while you were talking about her. I hope this is something you can make work, son, but I think you better find out more about her."

Michael nodded. "There's one other thing. It doesn't bother me in the least, but I want to get your perspective. She told me, right up front, she's biracial. She's beautiful, Dad. Her skin is the color of caramel, and her eyes. Dad, her eyes hypnotize me. They are absolutely gorgeous. The fact that she's biracial shouldn't be a problem, right? If I like her and I find out she likes me, that's all that matters, right?"

"That's all that should matter, son, but we both know that's not always the case."

"Yeah, I guess so, but I don't care. I really want to give this a chance. I keep thinking what it would be like if we met in person. I want that chance, as long as she feels the same way. If she does and we hit it off, then I don't care what anybody thinks or says. I know she's a good person, and that's all that matters to me."

Chapter 19 by pinkrose

Chapter 19

When the foursome arrived at the hospital the next morning, they learned that Keesha had been moved to a regular room. Julianna visited first, followed by Dara and Justus, and then A.J.

"You're looking better and better," he marveled.

"I'm feeling much better. Now I just want to go home."

A.J. nodded in understanding.

"Justus mentioned about us talking to my doctor regarding my liver transplant. He said GH is doing them?"

"Yes. We never got to discuss it, but the contacts I met with told me GH has the capability, and when I talked to Nikolas Cassadine, he confirmed it. I didn't mention your name, but I explained the situation to him. He said GH could accommodate you."

"What does that mean for the hospital in Manhattan that Dr. Williams is associated with? This all seems so weird."

"The decision is yours, Keesha, but at least you would be in familiar surroundings, and it would give you another option. I think the hospital in Manhattan would still be a choice, too."

"That's what Justus said, too. He liked the idea of including GH since he and Dara live there, but I don't know..."

"Do you want to talk to your doctor about it?"

"I guess we should," she decided. "Wow, Port Charles. I never thought I would ever go back there, but if it's a viable option, I know I can't rule it out."

Dr. Williams' arrival ended their conversation. After he examined Keesha, she told him she and her family would like to talk to him about her liver transplant. He said he had some time right then, and he called the others into the room.

Justus explained about General Hospital being able to perform liver transplants and asked for the doctor's advice.

"It's imperative that we explore every avenue," he said. "Knowing that another hospital would be available to Keesha helps her chances. I have to admit that the hospital I am associated with in Manhattan has Keesha on a waiting list to be admitted for the transplant in addition to being on the list for a new liver. There just are not that many livers that become available."

"I believe," A.J. spoke up, "General Hospital would be able to accommodate her immediately if a liver became available and she was a match."

"That's good to know," Dr. Williams said. "I can tell you, however, that at this moment, Keesha is not strong enough to travel and certainly not strong enough to withstand the operation. Having said that, I don't mind calling General Hospital and talking to the one in charge. If we can work something out and the person is aware that Keesha is a candidate, I have no problem with her going to Port Charles if she is strong enough. What do you think, Keesha? Should I call General Hospital and let them know you would like to be considered as a candidate?"

All eyes turned to Keesha, who still was not comfortable with the idea of traveling to Port Charles. But, she reasoned, what choice did she have?

"Yes," she finally said. "I think I shouldn't pass up this opportunity."

"Very well. Give me the name and the number of who I need to talk to, and I will let that person know Keesha's decision. I'll let you know what I find out."

Once Dr. Williams had left the room, Dara approached her friend's bedside.

"I think you made the right decision, girlfriend. Manhattan is a crazy place. Who knows if you would even be admitted to the hospital if they told you they have a liver? I think GH will take good care of you."

"I hope you're right," she said, her doubts lingering. "I wanted this done privately, but I don't think that's possible in Port Charles."

*~*

When Dr. Williams checked on Keesha that afternoon, he told her he had talked to Dr. Ellen Burgess-Harmon, who said she would add Keesha's name to their list.

"I told her about your latest infection and the overall condition of your health," he continued. "She had a suggestion that I think you should consider."

"What did she say?"

"She said that, if you wanted, she would be agreeable to taking over as your primary physician through your transplant procedure. She suggested that once you were stronger and able to travel, it might be a good idea to move to Port Charles temporarily so that you would already be there if and when a liver became available. How do you feel about that?"

"Scared," Keesha said. "I know you, Doctor. You've been treating me since day one. While I'm sure Dr. Burgess-Harmon is excellent, I don't know her. I like my home, too. I really don't want to live in a hotel for who knows how long. What if a liver doesn't become available for months? I have to come back here. This is my home. This is where my daughter goes to school. We have no promises that I will ever have the operation, do we?"

"No, Keesha, I'm afraid we don't. But I think you need to look at this from a more positive angle. If one does become available from anywhere, you're there. The liver will be waiting for you. And as long as your health is stable, Dr. Burgess-Harmon can perform the surgery immediately. It can make a big difference."

"Do you think I should transfer my care to another physician?"

"Dr. Burgess-Harmon and I talked at length. She has a handle on your situation. Once you sign a release, I can send her your file. She would have access to the same information I've been working from. And I told her I'm available to consult."

"Going to Port Charles for surgery is one thing, but to move there, in the hopes that I will get a new liver, I don't know, Doctor. I just don't know how well I would do in that situation."

"Think about it," he advised. "You don't have to make a decision right this moment. Talk it over with your family. If you want to talk to Dr. Burgess-Harmon, she's available by phone. She also said she would be available for a video conference if you'd like to talk to her that way. You do have options, Keesha. I want to stress that as much as I can. This decision is yours. You need to do what will make you feel comfortable."

"I understand. Thank you, Dr. Williams. I appreciate everything you've done for me. I'll let you know what I decide."

"Sounds good. In the meantime, I can tell you that you're going to be released from here tomorrow."

"That's wonderful. Thank you."

"But you know the rules. You have to take it easy and get plenty of rest."

"I have been doing that, I promise I have."

"I believe you have, but I have to keep stressing it. If you're too weak, Keesha, no one is going to be able to perform surgery on you. And I definitely want you to have a transplant if that choice becomes available."

"Thank you. You know I want that, too."

He nodded. "Think about what I've said and talk to your family. I know they care about you and want only the best for you."

*~*

A week later, after much discussion with Dr. Williams, Dr. Burgess-Harmon, Julianna, Justus, Dara and A.J., Keesha made her decision. As soon as Dr. Williams gave her the okay, she and Julianna would be moving to Port Charles and staying with Dara and Justus until, hopefully soon, she would have the new liver she so desperately needed.

Chapter 20 by pinkrose

Chapter 20

"Tell me, honestly, Julianna, how you feel about this move to Port Charles," Keesha said to her daughter, a day after the decision had been made, as they chatted in Keesha's bedroom.

"Mama, I want to do what's best for you. If that means living in Port Charles for a while, I can do that. It'll be nice to be with Dara and Justus. Are you unhappy with your decision?"

"No, I just wish I felt better about it. There's so much we need to do."

"I've already started taking care of a few things," she said. "A.J. has been helping me."

"You know you're too efficient for your own good."

Julianna laughed, and Keesha couldn't help but smile. Then her expression turned serious.

"Let's just hope this will all have been worth it in the end."

*~*

That night, after her mother had gone to sleep and A.J. had left to go to the hotel, Julianna and Michael chatted.

"You disappeared again," he said, relieved when he'd seen her face. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. I've been busy with my mother. I have some news for you."

"Tell me."

"I'm not sure when, but probably soon, we're going to be leaving here."

"What? Why? Where are you going?"

"Another doctor is taking over my mother's care, and we'll be moving to that town. I won't have access like I have here, but we can e-mail. I'll miss seeing you and talking with you, Michael."

"Julianna," he said, not willing to lose this precious connection in his life, "I know we said no names and places, but this is different. I'd like to know where you're going to be. I understand your mother's health comes first, but I'm really going to miss you. I don't want you to forget about me."

Julianna's sweet smile made Michael realize just how much he was going to miss seeing her lovely face and hearing her soft voice.

"I will never forget you, Michael," she assured him.

"Well, with moving to a new town, anything is possible. Jule, tell me where you're going. Please?"

"You're adorable when you beg," she teased. "It's a small town in upstate New York. I bet you've never heard of it."

"Try me. Believe it or not, I am familiar with upstate New York."

"Okay, how about this? Mama and I will soon be living in a town called Port Charles."

Michael almost fell off his chair.

"Port Charles?" he repeated, wanting to make sure he had heard correctly and was not hallucinating that she had said that name.

"Yes. See, I knew you wouldn't have heard of it. I guess I should look it up on the Internet to see what it has to offer."

"Um, Jule," he said, having recovered enough from the shock to speak, "you don't have to do that."

"Why? Oh, because it's probably too small to even be listed?"

"No, it's there, but you have an even better source than the Internet for this one."

"I do?"

"Yes," he said, taking a deep breath, "me."

"You? What do you mean, Michael? Are you an expert on small towns or something or just an expert at knowing things about Port Charles?"

"Considering I've lived in Port Charles all my life, you could say I am somewhat of an expert, yes."

Now it was Julianna who almost fell off her chair.

"Michael, you don't!"

"Julianna, I do!"

"But Michael...how...what...how is this possible?"

"Like they say, Jule, it's a small world."

"But...but...this changes everything!" she cried.

"What do you mean? Talk to me."

"I can't," she said, feeling herself growing numb. "This is too weird. If I had known...Michael, you probably know my family. You...you probably know my father!"

"Not if you don't want to tell me who they are. The same rules can apply."

But she was shaking her head. "I don't believe they can. Michael, this is...this is...so strange. I...I don't know what to say."

"Please say that you'll still be my friend."

She started thinking about what it would be like not to have Michael in her life, even as just an Internet pal, and she knew she couldn't do it. But at the same time, she wasn't ready to have all her secrets spilled to someone who more than likely knew her cousin, her mother's friends, her father, and possibly even her mother.

"I want to continue to be your friend, Michael."

She heard his sigh of relief.

"Thank you," he said.

She knew that he meant it.

"What should we do?" she asked. "How do we make this work?"

"I have an idea, Jule. Please think about it before you say 'yes' or 'no'."

"What's your idea?"

"Would it be so bad if, after you arrive in Port Charles, we make plans to meet?"

Chapter 21 by pinkrose

Chapter 21

Michael wants us to meet, Julianna wrote in her journal later that night when she couldn't sleep. I can't believe he lives in Port Charles. How strange is that? It wasn't until recently that I realized I do want to meet him in person, but in Port Charles? Diary, I have no idea what to do.

*~*

Julianna didn't have time to think about Michael or much else in the days that followed. She began to organize things for their move to the new town. A.J. had taken Keesha to her doctor's appointment. If Dr. Williams said she could travel, Dr. Burgess-Harmon was prepared to accept her as a patient.

Dara and Justus had returned to their home and told them their house was ready for their arrival.

The one thing Julianna wasn't certain about was where A.J. fit into their plans. She couldn't know that A.J. and Keesha were discussing that very issue.

*~*

"I plan to travel with you and Julianna to Port Charles," A.J. said to Keesha.

They had stopped at a nearby diner for a quick lunch after her appointment. Dr. Williams had given her the go ahead to travel.

"I appreciate that," Keesha said. "I know it's probably the last place you want to visit, too."

A.J. couldn't deny the truth but didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

"I'll make the best of it. I just hope a lot of the old ghosts have disappeared. How about you? Are you feeling more comfortable with your decision?"

"A little. I like the idea that we'll be with Dara and Justus. I think I'm more concerned about the hospital. People I know still work there, A.J. I don't want everybody to know my business."

"Dr. Burgess-Harmon has to guarantee you patient confidentiality, right?"

"Yes, but she can't do anything if someone sees me."

"But they don't have to know why you're there."

Keesha shook her head. "Either your memory is gone or you're just choosing not to remember. Rumors and gossip, A.J. What about those?"

"Yeah," he said, realizing Keesha had a valid point. "I guess I wasn't thinking."

She reached for his hand and held it in hers.

"The fact that I'm scared half out of my mind about the whole surgery thing isn't helping. I felt somewhat reassured with Dr. Williams. But now...it's like I found out about my condition all over again. I just wish it were over, one way or the other."

"Well, you know which way we are all rooting for, Keesha. You're going to have people who love you around you at all times."

"What about you, A.J.?" she asked, staring into his eyes. "Where will you be?"

"I...I'm not sure, Keesha. I know I can't stay in Port Charles indefinitely. It's not my home."

He saw something, maybe sadness, cloud her eyes. He quickly amended his statement.

"But if you need and want me to be there, I'm sure I can work something out."

"You've been putting your life on hold for me," she said. "I can't ask you to continue doing that when I have no guarantee of anything."

"I don't mind in the least," he assured her. "Keesha, I wasn't there for you for fifteen years. This is the least I can do."

"I just want you to know how much it means to me to have you here now. I am terrified, A.J., but when I look at you, somehow, things don't seem quite so scary."

"I want to make things as easy as possible for you and Julianna. I know that's what you need, Keesha, and it's what I want to do. For you and for our daughter."

*~*

Ten days later, with everything having been taken care of in Philadelphia, Keesha, Julianna, and A.J. arrived in Port Charles. Keesha felt as though she had gone back in time. Excitement and a bit of nervousness about the unknown and her mother's future consumed Julianna. A.J. hoped things would go smoothly and that a liver would be found for Keesha. Soon.

Dara and Justus welcomed all three into their home.

"This is lovely," Keesha said as Dara gave her and Julianna the grand tour of their two-story house in the middle of town.

Justus and A.J. remained in the living room.

"Keesha seems on edge," Justus said.

"She is. She knows this is probably it, Justus. How long can she stay here if no liver is found? Yet, she knows what her ultimate fate will be if one isn't."

"I would give anything for Keesha not to have to be going through this. Have you thought about the irony of this situation, A.J.?"

"You mean about Keesha being the one to need a new liver?"

"Yes."

"Yeah, I have thought about it. I don't want her to be going through this any more than you do."

"I'm going to take her and Julianna to GH tomorrow."

"Okay."

"What about you? I can't imagine you want to spend too much time in this town."

"I don't," A.J. admitted, "but I will if Keesha and my daughter need me to."

"Are you at the PC Hotel?"

A.J. nodded.

"What about Skye and Tom?" he asked. "Can't you stay with them?"

"I can, but I don't want to. Keesha wants things low key. I haven't mentioned this to anyone. I know it's not going to stay a secret, but I want to make this as stress free for Keesha and Julianna as I can."

Justus nodded. "That's what Dara and I want, too."

The men stopped speaking when the women returned to the room.

"Do you like your rooms?" Justus asked Keesha and Julianna.

"Yes!" Julianna said. "Mine is very nice and decorated so pretty."

"Mine is great, too," Keesha assured them.

"We planned a light meal," Dara said. "A.J., you're welcome to join us."

"Thank you, Dara, but I think I'd better check in at the hotel. I have some things I need to do for work, too. Enjoy your meal and your evening," he said, his eyes darting from Keesha to his daughter.

"I'll call you tomorrow?" Keesha said.

"I look forward to it."

Dara and Justus started to walk him to the door when Julianna stopped them. She gave A.J. a big hug and thanked him for all he had done.

"You're welcome, sweetheart," he said, touched by the gratitude he saw in her eyes. "You have fun and take good care of your mother."

"I will."

A.J. waved to them and then sped off, heading in the direction of the hotel. As he took in the familiar sights, his insides began to churn. The closer he got to the hotel, the worse he felt. By the time he had pulled into the hotel parking garage, he couldn't help but feel he had made the biggest mistake by returning to the town that had never been kind to him.

Chapter 22 by pinkrose

Chapter 22

And so it begins, Keesha thought. Early the next morning, she and Julianna had no sooner stepped off the elevator onto the Second Floor at General Hospital than Bobbie saw them and did a triple take before rushing to greet them.

"Keesha! It's been way too many years. How are you?"

Keesha and Julianna had seen the concerned look on Bobbie's face at Keesha's appearance and her use of a walker when she'd first approached them.

"I'm okay," was all Keesha said and Bobbie didn't press.

"Is this your daughter?" Bobbie asked.

She smiled warmly at Julianna.

"Yes. Julianna, this is Bobbie."

"Nice to meet you," Julianna said.

"Same here. You are a lovely young lady."

"Thank you."

Keesha desired to move on but didn't want to be impolite. "How have you been? I...I heard about Carly and Sonny. I'm sorry for your loss."

"Thank you," Bobbie said, her eyes revealing the depth of her pain. "It's been a very difficult time. Having Michael with me is helping. Both of us, I think."

Julianna's interest piqued when she heard the name "Michael." Keesha glanced at her daughter and was surprised to see that she seemed to perk up at hearing Bobbie mention Michael. Keesha wondered if A.J. had talked to her. She didn't think he had because he hadn't said anything to her. And neither had Julianna.

"Julianna," Keesha explained, "Bobbie is Michael's grandmother. Her daughter Carly, Michael's mother, was killed, along with her husband, in a very tragic way."

Julianna nodded and offered her condolences. The story sounded way too familiar. The Michael she knew and Bobbie's grandson had to be the same person. She was sure of it.

"How is Lucas?" Keesha asked. "Lucas is Bobbie's son," Keesha explained to her daughter.

"He's fine," Bobbie said. "He's attending NYU, but he's here for the summer. He's mostly with his Dad, but we're spending time together. It's nice."

"How is Tony?"

"He's doing well," Bobbie answered, deciding not to venture into the subject of A.J. not being Michael's father. She assumed Keesha and A.J. weren't in contact, but the more she looked at Julianna, the more she couldn't help but wonder if A.J. were her father. She could see some resemblance, especially around the young girl's eyes. "You might run into him. He's around. Well, I should get back to work. It's wonderful to see you again. You take care. I enjoyed meeting you, Julianna. If you're going to be in town for a while, let's get together for lunch. I may even be able to persuade Michael to join us."

Julianna's heart lurched at Bobbie's suggestion. Would that be how her and Michael's paths would cross? She hadn't stopped thinking about his suggestion to meet since he'd mentioned it, but she had no idea how she actually wanted it to happen.

Keesha said she would be in touch, and then she and Julianna headed to Dr. Burgess-Harmon's office while Bobbie walked towards the nurses' station.

*~*

The knock on the door caused Nikolas to look up, in surprise, from the mounds of paperwork piled on his desk. He blinked twice to make sure he wasn't seeing things.

"A.J.! Come in, come in."

"I hope I'm not disturbing you."

"You're not. It's been too long since we've seen each other. Have a seat. Can I get you anything?"

"No, thanks."

After they shook hands, A.J. sat down in a black leather swivel guest chair across from Nikolas' large and somewhat disheveled oak desk.

"How do you like being the hospital administrator?"

"There's so much paperwork as you can see," Nik lamented. "But, overall, it's satisfying. How about you? You must deal with a lot of paperwork, too."

"I do, but since I generate most of it..."

Nik laughed, and then his expression turned serious.

"Ellen talked to me."

A.J. nodded. "I figured she would have to. That's why I'm here. Keesha and I talked, and I told her I wanted to make certain things would be as stress free and smooth running for her as they can be."

"I was shocked and saddened when Ellen told me. How is Keesha doing?"

"She's hanging in there. Keesha is one amazing woman. I know she will be fine if a liver can be found for her. Soon."

"We're going to do everything we can for her," Nikolas assured A.J.

"I believe that you will. Thank you."

"Does it seem strange to be here?"

"Very," A.J. admitted. "Almost surreal."

Nik sat back in his black leather chair, looking thoughtful. "Planning any reunions while you're here?"

"I don't know," A.J. answered honestly.

"I can't imagine that your family wouldn't be thrilled to see you."

A.J. shrugged. "Maybe. I haven't let myself think about it. I live by the code of taking one day at a time. That's especially true in this situation. But speaking of family, how are Gia and the children?"

Nikolas' dark eyes lit up like a Christmas tree as he handed A.J. a framed portrait of his family that he proudly displayed on his desk.

"They're my sanity," he acknowledged.

A.J. studied the picture for a few moments. The daughter had Nikolas' strong features while the son looked more like Gia. "Your family is beautiful," he told Nik, with sincerity in his voice.

"Thank you."

"How old are Sonya and Nikolas, Jr.?"

Nik looked at A.J. in surprise. "You've been keeping in touch with someone."

"Emily tells me some of what's going on, just not about our family, unless I specifically ask. I know her and Zander's twins are close to your children."

"That's true. So are Liz and Lucky's children. To answer your question, Sonya is seven and Nikolas is nine."

"Very nice. You should be proud."

"I am. Gia and I both are."

As A.J. handed the silver frame back to Nikolas, he couldn't help but wonder if he would ever have a portrait of his family. The temptation to tell Nikolas about Julianna was strong, but A.J. decided against it. He didn't feel the time was right.

"How is Stefan?" he asked instead.

"He's fine. He took Alexis and Ned's daughter, Kristina, to visit Greece for a few weeks."

"Do you see much of them?" A.J. couldn't help but ask.

Nik nodded. "We're close, and I'm happy about that. Gia is pretty much running L&B Records. Brooke Lynn is helping her. Lesley Lu wants to get involved, too."

"Good for them," A.J. said sincerely. "I know Ned must be ecstatic to be running ELQ the way he wants to."

"He is," Nik confirmed, "but I believe he misses you."

"No way," A.J. said.

His chuckle didn't hold much mirth.

Nik shrugged. "People and situations change in eleven years."

"How true that is," he said, taking a moment to reflect on his own life.

"Maybe you'll be able to make peace with some things and some people while you're here."

"Maybe. But my main concern is taking care of Keesha."

"I understand. We're going to do everything we possibly can for her."

"That gives me hope, Nikolas. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Tell Keesha I plan to see her."

"I will."

"And I'd like to see you again. Perhaps in a social situation such as dinner at the house with Gia and the children?"

"I'll see how it goes."

"I understand."

*~*

Ellen put Keesha and Julianna at ease the minute they walked into her plush office.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, after she had done a preliminary examination.

"Today, I feel pretty good."

"Traveling to Port Charles wasn't too much for you?"

"No, it wasn't bad."

"Excellent. I am thoroughly familiar with your file, so I'm ready for any questions you may have."

"My main concern is staying healthy enough so I can have the operation if a liver becomes available."

"I understand that concern. I'm going to give you a prescription to help your immune system. I'd like to see you weekly so that I can closely monitor your vital signs and any symptoms you may have which might indicate there's an infection somewhere in your body."

Keesha nodded.

"Other than that, I think you should continue to do what you have been. Eat sensibly, get plenty of rest, don't do anything strenuous."

"My mother knows how to do all those things well."

Ellen's dimples emerged when she offered Julianna a gentle smile.

"And I know you help her."

"I try."

"I have a great support system," Keesha said. "My daughter is at the top of the list."

"That's great to hear," Ellen said. "It's what you need."

She wrote out the prescription and handed it to Keesha.

"You can have that filled here at the pharmacy and start taking the pills tomorrow."

"Okay. Thank you."

"I'd like to see you next week at the same time."

Julianna wrote down the appointment.

"We'll be here," Keesha said.

"If you think of anything you want to ask me, don't hesitate to call."

Ellen gave Keesha and Julianna her business card.

"Thank you," Keesha said as she and her daughter stood to leave.

"You're welcome. I'll let Dr. Williams know we had our first consult."

"Okay."

"Remember you can call me any time. I'll see you next week."

*~*

Since Dara and Justus needed to be at the courthouse, A.J. met Keesha and Julianna when they exited Ellen's office.

"How did it go?" he asked, his voice anxious.

"Very well," Keesha said, relieved the first meeting was over.

"You like your doctor?"

Both Keesha and Julianna nodded.

"Good. I'm glad to hear that."

"We need to stop at the pharmacy to get a prescription filled."

As the trio walked towards the elevator bank, Monica Quartermaine rounded the corner and caught a glimpse of someone she believed could be her son. Stunned that it might indeed be A.J., she tried to call out to him before he stepped into the elevator, but her voice failed her. Watching the doors close, she could only stare and wonder if that had actually been her estranged son. And if it had been, what was he doing at General Hospital with a woman and a young girl?

Chapter 23 by pinkrose

Chapter 23

Bobbie saw a dazed Monica leaning against the wall near the elevators. She approached her and asked if she was all right.

"Yes," Monica said, shaking her head as if to clear it. "I just saw the strangest thing."

"What?"

"I could have sworn I saw A.J. get into this elevator with a woman and a young girl. Alan's right. It must be time for a vacation."

"Weelll," Bobbie said, "I do have some news for you."

"What? You saw A.J., too?!"

"No, but I did see someone from the past earlier."

"Who?" Monica demanded, her nerves frazzled.

"Keesha. And she was with her lovely teen-age daughter."

"Keesha! That's who A.J. was with. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, but it makes sense now. What are they doing here? Are they together?"

Bobbie shook her head. "I wish I could tell you more, but Keesha wasn't very forthcoming, and I didn't want to push. A.J.'s name never came up, but I can tell you that Keesha did not look well. If you saw her daughter, Monica, I believe you would definitely see a resemblance to your son."

"Are you serious?" Monica asked, her eyes wide with curiosity and wonder.

"I am."

Monica looked once more to the elevator. She thought about chasing after them but realized how futile that would be.

"He's kept his distance this long," she told Bobbie. "I wonder if he plans to contact us at all?"

*~*

After A.J. dropped Keesha and Julianna off at Dara and Justus' house, he returned to his hotel room and after checking his e-mail, he telephoned Skye.

"Can you get away for lunch?" he asked.

"Sure. Where are you?"

"In my hotel room. I'll order room service. It'll be here by the time you arrive. What do you want?"

"Order me a Chef's salad and an iced tea. I'm on my way."

*~*

At his grandmother's house, Michael was pleasantly surprised when Lucas arrived for a visit.

"How's it goin'?" Michael asked, after handing Lucas a soda and popping open a can for himself.

They sat in Michael's room.

"Great. I heard from Dad that you went to him for advice about a girl?"

"Yeah."

"Talk to me."

"I feel kinda silly now. I'm not even sure she wants to meet me."

"Details, bro, I need details."

"You really wanna hear this?"

"Yes!"

"Okay. Well, after I went through all that crazy stuff when my mom died, I spent a lot of time online. I found this one Web site that catered to teen-agers who have only one parent. There was a quiz you could take to see how well you matched up with others. Several people were recommended to me based on my answers, but only one of them really clicked with me."

"This girl you now want to meet," Lucas guessed.

"Yeah. We became fast friends. It's been so incredible. She's going through a lot of heavy stuff now, but when we first started chatting, she was there for me. I want to be there for her, but I don't really know how to do it. We were fine when we were e-mailing and chatting with our Web cams, but I found out that she moved here because of her mother's illness. Is that wild or what?"

"Very wild. How come you don't know more about her if you guys are such good friends?"

"We wanted it that way. We were just going to be cyber pals, with no strings attached. But I've fallen for her, Lucas. I can't help it. She's funny, she's intelligent, she has a great heart, and she's beautiful. I really want to meet her."

"But she doesn't want to?"

"I'm not sure. She freaked out when I told her I live in Port Charles. We can't communicate by Web cam while she's here, but we said we'd e-mail."

"You haven't heard from her?"

Michael shook his head.

"Why don't you send her a note?" Lucas suggested. "Let her know you're thinking about her and her mom. Maybe mention a neutral place where the two of you can meet."

"Like where?"

"How about the restaurant near the PCU campus? I doubt you would run into people you know."

"Yeah," Michael said, his mood brightening. "Thanks, Lucas. That's a great idea."

"But if she turns you down or gives you the brush off," he warned, "I don't think you should push. Let her set the pace. Hopefully, she'll keep in touch with you, but if she doesn't..."

"I know," Michael said, feeling dejected again. "I think that's why I haven't written to her. If she doesn't respond, then I'll know for sure she's not interested."

"Or she could just be really busy settling into a new place. Don't write her off too quickly, okay?"

"I won't. I'll send her an e-mail tonight after I think about what I want to say. Thanks for helping me!"

Lucas smiled. "Any time."

*~*

"I wondered when I was going to hear from you," Skye said to A.J. after they shared an affectionate embrace.

"Things have been a little hectic," he said as he led her to the table where the food had been arranged.

"Are you finally going to tell me what's going on?" she asked, after taking a bite of her salad and a swallow of her beverage.

"Yes."

She waited intently for him to begin.

"Should I drop the bombshell on you or would you rather have all the particulars first?"

"Considering the way I just dropped into your life unannounced with a major chip on my shoulder, I think you owe me a bombshell. Go ahead. I can handle it."

"Are you sure?"

She nodded. "I'm sure."

"A few weeks ago, I found out I have a fifteen-year-old daughter."

Skye almost choked on her iced tea. When A.J. tried to help her, she waved him off. After composing herself, she stared at him, a hundred questions swimming through her mind.

"You have a fifteen-year-old daughter whom you knew nothing about until a few weeks ago?!"

"That's right."

"Okay," she said, pushing away her meal. "Now I need, no, I *demand* the particulars."

"Keesha Ward, a woman I was involved with here in Port Charles, left town in 1998 to care for her ailing father. She found out she was pregnant..."

"With your child," Skye said, wanting to make sure she was following every detail.

"Yes, with my daughter. Julianna."

"And you just happened to find this out, how?"

"Keesha wrote and asked me to come to Philadelphia. She said she had something very important to tell me."

"And this something very important was the news that you have a daughter?!"

"Yes."

"You mean to tell me you had no contact with this woman for fifteen years?"

"No, I didn't."

"And she never thought to contact you?"

"She did contact me or at least she tried to, but she knew I had started drinking again. She also knew about my subsequent marriages to Carly and Courtney."

"Incredible. Absolutely incredible. Why did she decide to contact you now?"

"Because she is very sick, and she wanted my daughter and me to meet while she was still alive."

"She's dying?" Skye asked, her voice low and serious.

A.J. nodded. Some things began to make sense to Skye.

"The liver transplant information," she said. "Keesha needs a new liver."

"Yes, she does."

"And now you've brought her here to GH?"

"Their program is very good."

"What about your daughter, A.J.? I can't believe I just spoke that sentence. What kind of a relationship have you been able to form with her?"

"A very tenuous one at best," he admitted.

"Does she acknowledge you at all?"

"As someone who is trying to help her mother, yes. As her father, no."

"Give her time, A.J. I can relate to how hard it is to come into your father's life or have him come into yours so unexpectedly."

"I plan to give her all the time she needs. I just don't know if there will ever be enough time. Sometimes, I think she's ready to accept me into her life, and then other times, I tell myself it's never going to happen. She resents me, Skye, because of the fact I never contacted Keesha after she left town. Julianna has a very valid reason for not wanting me in her life, and I have to respect that."

"Why didn't you ever call Keesha? You must have cared for her."

"I did," A.J. asserted. "I still do. Keesha was one of the best things that ever happened to me."

"So you just let her walk away and never looked back?"

"Yeah," A.J. said, his voice filled with sadness and regret. "That's exactly what I did."

"Why? Why would you do that? Tell me, A.J. I want to know. I need to know."

"Because I wanted to drink. Drinking meant more to me at that time than anything."

"Not Michael."

"Don't you see the irony in this situation, Skye? I couldn't have Michael so I drank because of the rotten deal I thought life had given me. If I had just thought beyond the bottle, for once, beyond my own selfish needs, beyond my stupid plans for revenge, I might have been a part of Keesha's life and our daughter's life way before now. But I never stopped to think. I never took the time to think about the one woman who had stood by me and supported me the way no one else had. I just wanted to be miserable and wallow in self-pity, and I was and I did."

"Have you explained any of this to Julianna?"

"Some. She came to me with questions, and I gladly answered them. That's when I thought we were growing closer, but I still see the doubt and the uncertainty in her eyes. I believe she wants to trust me and on some level wants to accept me, but she's wary, and I don't blame her."

"It sounds like you just need to keep the lines of communication open. Something will happen that will make her see you as her father. I'd love to meet her, A.J. I still can't believe you have a daughter. After all you went through with Carly and Sonny, I'm thrilled you have a child of your own. I'd love to meet Keesha, too."

"Thanks. I'm not sure I deserve to have a child, but Keesha has done an amazing job of raising her. If the time is ever right, I would love for you to meet her and Keesha."

*~*

For the remainder of the afternoon, Michael thought about the e-mail he would write to Julianna, so when he went online that evening, he was surprised to see that Julianna had sent him one. She apologized for not writing sooner and told him what had been happening since they'd arrived in Port Charles. Her last sentence filled him with hope. She wrote that she wanted to meet him and since he was the resident, asked him to choose the time and the place.

Chapter 24 by pinkrose

Chapter 24

When Dara returned home from work, she found Keesha sitting on the patio, sipping lemonade while enjoying the early evening breeze.

"Where are Justus and Julianna?" Dara asked, after taking a seat and pouring herself a tall, cool glass of the refreshing beverage.

"Justus had to run a few errands, and Julianna went with him. They mentioned stopping at the grocery store. Julianna wanted to buy a few things so she could cook dinner."

"That child does not have to cook for us," Dara said. "I'll call Justus and tell him to pick something up from the Grille."

Dara returned a few minutes later and said that dinner was taken care of.

"Julianna loves to cook," Keesha reminded her best friend with a smile.

"I know, but I want her to relax as much as she can. I know this has not been easy on her."

"No, it hasn't," Keesha said and sighed. "She's been such a wonderful daughter. Sometimes, I can't believe how lucky I am."

"Luck has nothing to do with this," Dara declared. "Julianna is an exceptional girl because you raised her that way. Justus and I know how hard being a single parent has been for you, especially now, but you never wavered in your commitment and your love for your daughter. Julianna knows how much you love her, and that love and your strength are getting her through this."

"You and Justus being there for us has helped tremendously," Keesha said. "Especially since I know how much heartache you two have had to endure."

Dara took a moment to reflect on Keesha's words before she spoke. "I will admit that third miscarriage almost did me in. Almost did in our marriage. I was so depressed and so sick after it happened. I wasn't sure I would ever recover or feel normal again, whatever that is."

"I remember Justus calling to give me the sad news. I couldn't believe it. He was sooo worried about you, Dara, and he was grieving as well. I wish I could've done more."

"You were there for us, Keesha. You always have been. I've been wanting to tell you some news, but the time hasn't seemed right."

"I hope this is good news."

"It is," Dara said, her voice growing in excitement. "Justus and I have decided to adopt."

"Dara, that's wonderful! I'm so happy for you and my cousin. I wondered if that would be an option, but I knew you had to heal, physically and emotionally, from the miscarriages."

"You're right. I did have to heal. I told Justus I couldn't let myself get pregnant again. He totally understood. So a couple of weeks ago, we went to an adoption agency. We'll probably go to a few more. We also know an attorney who handles private adoptions, but we're not sure yet how we want to accomplish our goal. We just know we want to give a child, or maybe two, a good home."

Even in her weakened state, Keesha beamed. "I can't think of two people who deserve to be parents more than you and Justus. You don't know how happy this news makes me. My heart is filled with joy and love just thinking about the two of you becoming parents."

"We were honored and overwhelmed when you said you wanted Julianna to be with us. That's really when we start talking seriously about adoption. If I could have a daughter just like Julianna, I would be in heaven."

"You're so sweet," Keesha said.

"And I'm serious," Dara said, arching one eyebrow. "Has A.J. realized just how wonderful his daughter is, thanks to her mother's tireless work?"

"He does," Keesha said. "He loves her, Dara. He told me that, and I can also see it. I'm just wondering what it's going to take for Julianna to realize that she has a father who loves her and wants to be in her life."

*~*

Monica and Alan were eating a late dinner when she decided to broach the subject of A.J. and Keesha.

"You'll never guess who Bobbie talked to at the hospital today."

"Who?" Alan asked, mildly interested.

Being semi-retired, he didn't follow hospital gossip.

"Keesha."

"Really?" he said, showing some interest. "Is she living here?"

"Bobbie didn't know. Keesha didn't offer much in the way of explaining why she was at the hospital."

"That sounds like the Keesha I remember."

"Bobbie did meet her daughter, though."

"How wonderful that Keesha married and has a child. How old is her daughter?"

"Bobbie didn't say specifically, but she's a teen-ager. No mention of a husband, though."

"Doesn't mean she's not married."

"That's true. I believe I saw Keesha, too."

"You didn't get to talk to her?"

"No. She was walking away from me. But Alan, it was the strangest thing."

"What was?"

"I could have sworn I saw her walking with A.J.!"

"A.J., our son, A.J.?" Alan asked, his voice disbelieving.

"Yes!"

"And you didn't say anything, Monica?"

"I couldn't. I was so shocked, when I went to speak, no words would come out of my mouth."

Alan leaned in closer to his wife. "Do you really believe A.J. is here, in Port Charles, with Keesha and her daughter?"

Monica nodded emphatically. "I truly do."

"I wish there was some way we could confirm this news. I know Skye won't tell us anything."

"Neither will Justus nor Dara."

"I wish Bobbie or Tony had seen him."

"Me, too."

"We could hire someone to check it out for us."

"No, Alan. I want A.J. to contact us on his own. If he finds out we've been prying into his business, it's just going to make things worse. Don't you think, at some point, if he really is here, he'll *want* to see us?"

*~*

After the others had gone to bed for the night, Julianna used the computer in the den to check her e-mail. With excitement and a small amount of fear coursing through her, she opened the e-mail from Michael and quickly scanned it. She laughed at his humor and hit the "reply" button.

"You are so funny," she typed. "I miss seeing you. Meeting at the 'Chow Time' cafe sounds good. Thanks for the directions. Thanks for your cell phone number, too. Michael, I'm excited, nervous, anxious and a little scared to actually meet you. I hope you understand. If I can't make it, I'll call you on your cell phone. If you don't hear from me, that means I plan to be at the cafe near the university at 1:00 p.m. tomorrow. Goodnight."

And then she wrote a postscript.

"Just in case you need to call me, here is my cell phone number."

She typed in the number, read the e-mail one more time, and then hit "send," with the strongest feeling that nothing would be the same once she met her cyber pal, Michael.

Chapter 25 by pinkrose

Chapter 25

"Wow, I'm popular today," Emily said when she heard A.J.'s voice in her ear.

"What does that mean?" he asked.

"Do you really wanna know?"

"Yes. You sound excited. What's going on?"

"I heard you've been spotted in Port Charles. Is it true you're here?"

"Who told you that?" A.J. asked, thinking and hoping Skye wouldn't have said anything.

"Mom," Emily responded, knowing her answer would shock A.J.

She wasn't disappointed.

"I haven't seen Mom!" he retorted. "I haven't contacted her at all."

"I know, and she's very upset about that. Mom is almost one hundred percent sure she saw you at the hospital yesterday, possibly with Keesha and a teen-aged girl, but Mom is looking for confirmation. Are you here, A.J.? I know Keesha is because Bobbie spoke to her."

That stunned A.J., too. Keesha hadn't mentioned talking to Bobbie. The feeling that he was beginning to lose control over a very guarded situation unsettled him.

"Please, Em, I don't want you to say anything to anyone."

"So you are here," she surmised. "A.J., what's going on?"

"I really don't want to talk about it. Especially over the phone."

"Can I at least tell Zander?"

"If he promises not to tell anyone."

"He won't. Are we going to see you while you're here? And Keesha? Are you *with* Keesha? If you are, you have a lot of explaining to do."

"I am, but it's not what you think. That's why I'm calling, Em. I wanted to let you know I'm not at the Manhattan office. Vincent is handling the day-to-day operation for me."

"Okay. That's good to know. I've received several e-mails from him."

"I'm reachable, though, by e-mail and cell phone."

"That's good to know, too. A.J., I hope everything is all right. Can you at least assure me of that?"

"Things are as well as they can be. I want to see you, Em, I really do. I'd love to see Zander and the twins, too, but I have some things I need to take care of that are demanding my attention."

"I understand," Emily said. "Please, A.J. Don't leave town without at least visiting me. I know we talk a lot, but it's not the same. I'd like to see you. If I can help, I want to. Okay?"

"Okay. I appreciate that."

"What about Mom? She and Dad are not going to rest until they know for sure it was you she saw."

"I'm thinking about it," was all A.J. would commit to. "I just don't know if I'm ready, or ever will be ready, to see them."

*~*

Julianna hated lying to her mother, but she wasn't ready to tell her about Michael, especially after her conversation with Bobbie at the hospital. She was afraid Keesha wouldn't let her meet Michael, and this was something she wanted to do while she still had the courage. So that her reason for leaving Dara and Keesha alone wouldn't be a total lie, Julianna stopped by the mall Justus had shown her the previous day and looked around before following Michael's directions to get to the cafe near the university.

By the time she arrived, giant butterflies had taken up residence in the pit of her stomach. She felt flushed and out of breath. The summer heat wasn't helping. She wanted to find shade, but she also wanted to stay close to the restaurant. If Michael didn't show up soon...

She never got to complete that thought. Michael had arrived. She watched as he quickly made his way to her. She saw him pause as he drew nearer, and then she smiled as he sprinted to close the distance between them. With each step he took, Julianna’s heart beat faster. Even though she knew what he looked like, she didn't realize how tall he would be or that he would be so much better looking in person. His auburn hair needed to be combed, but she actually liked the disheveled look on him. His faded blue jeans and white t-shirt outlined his very fit physique. She found herself moving in his direction to help close the gap.

When they finally stood face to face, neither one spoke. Julianna because she wanted to take in every detail of his appearance, and Michael because he was awestruck. He knew how lovely Julianna was, but to actually be standing in front of her amazed him. He wanted to pinch himself to make sure this was real. She looked regal, like a princess. He saw her beautiful gold-flecked hazel eyes assessing him, and he wondered what she was thinking. He wanted to reach out and brush a stray dark curl from her cheek, but he knew he couldn’t. He saw her looking at him expectantly, her eyes trying to read what he was thinking. When Michael still didn’t speak, she broke the ice by offering him a shy smile and saying "hello."

"Hi," he finally said, finding his voice. "I'm sorry I've just been staring, but you look incredible. The scent you're wearing is incredible, too."

Julianna beamed at his compliments. After changing clothes three times, she had finally decided to wear black jeans and a short-sleeve turquoise top. She accessorized her outfit with a turquoise necklace, bracelet and earrings. After applying eye shadow and blush to her smooth, flawless skin, she added berry lip color, and at the last second, decided to dab a bit of her mother's favorite, and most expensive, perfume on her pulse points.

"Thank you," she said. "I'm guilty of staring at you, too. I feel like I know you so well, and yet, at the same time, you seem like a stranger to me."

"I kinda feel that way, too," Michael admitted.

His boyish grin disarmed her, and she found herself very attracted to his charm.

"Shall we head inside the cafe?" he asked.

"You know what. I honestly don't think I could eat a thing. Would you mind if we didn't go to the restaurant?"

He grinned again, and she found herself relaxing. A little.

"I guess it wouldn’t hurt me to miss one meal."

She laughed, and the melodious sound thrilled Michael.

"C'mon," he said, encouraged by her smile. "How 'bout if we head to park and just sit and talk? If you get hungry, food vendors are everywhere."

"I'd like that," she said. "Thanks for understanding."

"No problem."

They strolled leisurely towards the park. Halfway there, Michael reached for Julianna's hand. She nodded and allowed him to entwine his warm fingers with hers. His touch sent tingles of excitement and pleasure coursing through her.

"You seem a lot more reserved in person than you do online," Michael commented.

"Remember how I would hardly talk when we first met online? I’m sorta shy. I have to get to know a person before I open up. I liked that you were so gregarious and upfront about things. You were the one who kept our connection alive in the early days."

"Is that what I was?" Michael asked and laughed. "I thought I was a pest. I didn't think you wanted to talk to me, but I really wanted to talk to you. I didn't want you to disappear on me."

"I was too captivated by you not to continue talking to you online. I'd never met anyone with such refreshing honesty. I enjoyed your sense of humor, too. I was amazed you could find a reason to laugh at all when you finally confided in me about your home life. I still don't know how you survived, Michael."

They had reached the park. Michael found a spot where they would have some shade and privacy. They sat on the dark green grass and faced each other.

"I don't know how I survived either," he admitted. "I'm just thankful those days are behind me. So tell me how you like living in Port Charles. Don’t I live in *the* most exciting town?"

Michael rolled his expressive brown eyes; Julianna grinned and shook her head. "You make me laugh. I’m not sure what kind of a town you live in, but it’s been rather exciting since I’ve been here. Michael, I believe I met your grandmother yesterday."

"You did? How? Where?"

"At the hospital. I went with my mother. She had an appointment with her new doctor. Your grandmother, Bobbie is her first name?"

Michael nodded.

"She recognized my mother. We were introduced. They talked for a little bit."

"How incredible. What did my grandmother say? What did your mother say?"

"Not too much, but my mom did offer her condolences about your mom and her husband. I think your grandmother appreciated my mom acknowledging your mom’s death. I wonder if they knew each other? I didn’t think to ask my mom."

Michael lowered his head and ran his fingers through the dry grass. "My mom didn’t have many friends," he admitted. "If your mom and my mom had known each other, chances are, they weren’t friends."

Julianna reached out to still Michael’s hands.

"I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you sad."

He watched her tapered brown fingers touching his light-colored skin and felt the gentleness and generosity of her spirit. He hoped that if they got to know each other better, he wouldn’t do something to scare her away.

He looked at her and gave her assurance. "You didn’t. The images are always with me, Jule. Once your life has been shattered the way mine was, it’s hard, sometimes, to have any kind of hope. I’d hate for the same thing to happen to you. Tell me how your mom is doing."

"My mom is okay. She seems to be adjusting well to being back in Port Charles."

"Now that you know who my grandmother is, would you care to tell me your mom’s name?"

"Sure. My mom’s name is Keesha Ward."

"So, you’re Julianna Ward?"

"Yes. Julianna Mae Ward. The middle name is for my maternal grandmother."

"I’ve heard the name Keesha," Michael said, "but I don’t know who she is."

Julianna nodded. "You haven’t told me your last name."

Michael gave her a crooked grin. "I bet you wouldn’t have believed me if I had told you this online."

"What?"

"Would you believe Michael Jones?"

He shook his head; Julianna laughed.

"You’re right. I would have thought that was definitely a made-up name."

"How ordinary, huh?" Michael said. "But that doesn’t mean I haven’t had my share of last names because I have."

"Because of your mom’s deception?" Julianna asked, her voice quiet.

"Yeah, and the fact that she was married to Sonny Corinthos."

"So at one time you were Michael Corinthos? Sounds way more exciting than Jones," she admitted.

"And my life was way more exciting then, too, not to mention dangerous."

"How could so many things happen to you at the same time?"

"It’s because my mom lived a lie," Michael said. "It still hurts to talk about it, Jule, but we’ve always had intense conversations, right?"

She nodded. That statement was very true.

"Well, I was always destined to be a ‘Jones,’ I guess, but somewhere in the middle of my mother’s pregnancy, so I’ve been told, she decided to name someone else as my father. For the first year or so of my life, I was known as Michael Morgan."

"Morgan?" Julianna questioned. Hadn’t she heard that name? "I think I know that name."

"I’m not surprised. Jason Morgan was very well known in this town. I'm sure your mother knew him."

Julianna’s eyes widened in shock. "Your mother named Jason Morgan as your father?!"

The same Jason who used to be a Quartermaine who was involved with her mother at one point and was her father's half brother? Was it even possible? But didn't he change his name to Morgan? Why couldn't she remember the details?

"Yes."

"Why? Why would she want someone else to be your father? And why Jason Morgan?"

Michael snickered. "My mother liked things to be complicated. The more complicated, the better."

"Why did she give up on that charade?"

Michael shrugged. "I’ve heard various things, but the one that makes the most sense to me, as I consider my mother’s point of view and not my own, please understand, is that she panicked. My mother was very good at coming up with schemes and plans, but her follow through, well, let’s just say it didn’t always work."

"So she had a plan for your life?"

"Yes. But the plan wasn’t just for my life. That would’ve been too easy. My understanding is that my mom had a plan for my life and her life and Jason’s life. The problem was her scheme involved destroying someone’s else life to make this all possible. And to make my real father a non-factor."

"You’re kidding?! Michael, I hope that plan failed, too."

"In some ways it did," he said, his voice filled with repulsion as the memories of what he’d been told his mother had tried to do flooded his mind, "but I’m sorry to say, in some ways, my mother’s plan succeeded. Way too well."

"Your mother was actually able to ruin someone’s else life? How is that possible?"

"When someone was in my mother’s way of what she wanted, she could make your life miserable. I witnessed that, unfortunately."

"How could your mother do that to somebody? How could your mother do that to you, Michael?"

"I don’t understand it either, Jule, but it happened. For more than half my life, I was led to believe that a bad man, a *very* bad man by the name of A.J. Quartermaine was my father. And now, Jule, even though he’s not my father, he’s someone I’ve really come to like and respect. My mom would be having a fit if she knew how things had turned out after her death. Life is funny that way, don’t you think?"

Chapter 26 by pinkrose

Chapter 26

Julianna did not hear anything else Michael said once he spoke the name "A.J. Quartermaine." Michael finally caught on to the fact that Julianna's mind was miles away.

"Jule? Jule, what's wrong?"

"That name," she finally said, her eyes still glazed. "Repeat that name."

"What name?"

"The one you said you thought was your father. Michael, say his name again!"

"A.J.?" he asked, confused. "Is that who you mean?"

Julianna nodded. "A.J. Quartermaine. That's what you said. Right?"

"Yes, that's what I said. Why is his name so important to you? Do you know him? Does your mother?"

Julianna laughed, but it was one of hysteria, not humor.

"Do I know him?!" she practically shrieked. "Michael, you may have thought A.J. was your father for a good portion of your life, but guess what? He *is* my father!"

Stunned by her declaration, Michael could only stare at his friend as she tried to make sense out of something that made absolutely no sense at all.

"How? How is that possible?"

Julianna looked at him with disdain.

"Okay, I know *how*," he amended, "but I mean, Jule, this...this is major. This is...this is..."

"Too weird and crazy for words," she finished for him.

"Yeah," Michael agreed sadly. "I guess it is."

"Please, Michael," Julianna pleaded, not knowing what else to do, "you're my friend, right?"

"Yes, I am."

"Then you have to tell me everything. I need to know what happened in this town, between my father and your mother, almost seventeen years ago. Please. Tell me."

"I only know bits and pieces."

"Tell me what you know. Please!"

"Let me ask you a question first."

"Okay."

"You said you were getting to know your father in Philadelphia, right?"

"Yes."

"And that he's here with you now, correct?"

She nodded.

"Then I think you should go to him, Jule, and find out the true story. Every detail. I don't want to say the wrong thing and mislead you. I would rather you hear the whole story from the one who knows everything that went down."

"I can't," she said, shaking her head defiantly.

"Why not?" he asked, but his tone was gentle.

"I don't trust him enough," she said, looking at Michael with tears in her eyes. "I trust you, Michael. I know you'll tell me the truth as you know it."

Michael reached for her hands and squeezed them. "But I don't know everything that happened, Jule. Your father does."

"I'm scared," she said, looking at their joined hands.

"Of what?" he asked, wishing he could hold her.

"Of my father. Of our relationship. Of what this all means. I knew he hurt my mother. I knew it! I was right not to trust him in the beginning. I was right to try to keep him out of our lives. How could he be with my mother and your mother at the same time? My mother must have believed he could have been your father. That's probably one of the reasons why Mama left this town and why it was so easy for my father to dismiss her!"

"This is exactly why you need to talk to your father. You don't know if any of that is true, Jule. Please. Talk to A.J. Why would he lie to you? You're his daughter."

"As if that means anything," she scoffed, knowing she was probably being unreasonable but not caring at that moment. "I wish he'd stayed out of our lives!"

"I don't think you mean that," Michael challenged.

"Yes, I do!"

"Jule, you were beginning to like your father. You can't tell me you weren't."

"I was, and every time I let him get a little close to me, I end up regretting it. Not this time," she said, pulling her hands away from Michael. Ready for battle, she stood up and brushed the grass off of her jeans. "I will go to him, Michael, and I will tell him exactly what I think of him!"

With determined steps, she marched towards the nearest park exit. Michael dashed to catch up with her. He knew anger and adrenaline fueled her steps.

"Julianna, wait," he said, standing in front of her.

"Get out of my way, Michael. You're right. I need to settle this with my father once and for all."

"I know you’re going to do this," Michael said, seeing the tenacity in her eyes. "Please let me go with you."

"You like him, Michael. Right now, I don’t. You may not like what I’m going to say to him, and I won’t like it if you try to defend him."

"It’s not my place to defend him. I want to be there for you, Jule. My big mouth is what started this. Wouldn’t you like to have a friend with you?"

"Is that what you’ll be?" she asked, her tone wary and uncertain.

"Yes. Absolutely. Jule, I hate that I’ve done this to you."

But she was shaking her head. "You didn’t do anything. My father did. I’m off to his hotel room. I want to know everything that happened. If you come with me, you’re doing it at your own risk."

"It’s a risk I’m willing to take."

*~*

The harsh raps on his door startled A.J. who was on the phone.

"Skye, I have to go. Someone's at my door."

A.J. ended the call and walked to the door. Peering through the peephole to see who had knocked, he was surprised to see Julianna. Someone was with her, but he couldn't see enough to determine who it might be. When he opened the door and saw who was waiting on the other side, his face turned as white as the walls of his hotel room.

"We need to talk," Julianna said, striding purposefully into his room.

Michael followed.

A.J. closed the door and his eyes. He asked himself when he was ever going to learn to listen to Keesha. He turned around, hoping he had been dreaming that Julianna and Michael had just walked into his room, but he knew it was real. They were both looking at him, their expressions far too serious for their young ages.

"I know you have questions about seeing us together," Julianna began, "but I need to have my say first."

A.J. agreed.

"I know some things about your relationship with Michael," she began, her voice shaking. "I want you to tell me everything."

"That could take a while," A.J. said, his insides churning. "Why don't we sit down?"

Julianna sat on the divan; Michael sat next to her. A.J. pulled up a chair and sat close to his daughter.

"Tell me about your relationship with Michael's deceased mother."

A.J. had to give his daughter credit. She had the ability to get to the heart of the matter, much the same way her mother did.

"Carly, Michael's deceased mother, and I started out as friends and lovers and ended up bitter enemies."

"Were you with her and my mother at the same time?" demanded Julianna.

"No, Julianna, I wasn't. Your mother and I were not together. I had been drinking heavily the night I thought I might have fathered Michael."

"But you and Carly were together?"

"No, not really. I hate having to tell you all this, Julianna."

"I want to hear it. I don't care how sordid it is. I want the truth."

"Carly was with Michael's father. They'd had a fight. She came to the bar looking for Jason and found me instead."

"That's disgusting!" Julianna cried.

"I know, but that's how it happened. Carly ended up pregnant. She told me Tony was the father, and I had no reason to doubt her until she started playing games with me."

"What kinds of games?"

"After that night, I went back on the wagon. I'd had a blackout. I didn't remember what had happened, and it scared me. I was really trying to get my act together. Your mother was helping me."

"How could my mother have ever been involved with someone like you?!"

She jumped up from the sofa and walked to the bay window. She looked out, unseeing, at the clear blue sky. Thoughts of her mother and A.J. and Carly repulsed her. Her mother was a better person than that. Why had she wanted to be with him?

"I've asked myself that same question many times," A.J. said, standing a few feet behind her. "Keesha was, and I hope still is, my friend. She's the best, Julianna. You don't think I know she deserved someone much, much better than me."

"Why did you get involved with her again?" she asked, keeping her back to her father. "I would've thought you would have been busy with Michael's mother."

"I wanted to be a father to my child, if it turned out I was indeed Michael's father, but Carly and I were adversaries at that point. After that drunken night, I made the statement that if I fell off the wagon one more time, I would go into rehab somewhere far away from Port Charles. When Carly thought I could be the father of her baby, she drugged me, Julianna, left me in an alley for my family to find me, and made me believe I had started drinking again. I was on my way to a rehab clinic when your mother began helping me sort out the details about that night. She helped me, Julianna. She was the one who put the pieces of the puzzle together and figured out Carly's scheme. I hadn't taken a drink. My family was ready to write me off, again. I tried to tell them that my sobriety was still intact, but the damage had already been done. My mother believed me, but I was still viewed as a drunken loser. Your mother was the only true ally I had, Julianna."

"And we know how well you treat your friends," Julianna said snidely, still keeping her back to A.J.

"I know how bad this sounds, but I was fighting for my rights as a possible father to Michael, and Keesha was helping me. We were friends, Julianna, and friendship turned to love."

She whirled around to face her father. "For about all of five minutes! Was it really because my grandfather was sick that Mama left town or was it because of you?!"

"We were together when your mother left here, Julianna. She said she needed to return to Philadelphia because her father was ill. She didn't plan to be away long."

"What did you do as soon as my mother was gone? Hook up with Michael's mom again? Or were you already on to someone new?"

"No, I wasn't with anyone, Julianna. I was trying to get my life together. I was learning to live with the fact that Jason was Michael's father. Yes, I did some horrible things that your mother knew about. She didn't like that I was so obsessed with Michael, but Keesha was still my friend. She got me through some of my darkest days. I'll never forget that, Julianna. I loved your mother. I wish you could believe at least that much."

"Why? Because the evidence of your love is so overwhelming?!"

"Our love produced you," A.J. said quietly.

Julianna turned away from her father. Michael saw that her shoulders were shaking, and he believed she was quietly sobbing. He had remained silent, as he'd promised her he would, but when he thought she might be crying, he moved to place his hands on her shoulders and gently massaged them.

"It's me," he whispered. "It's okay, Jule. It's okay."

"None of this makes much sense," A.J. said. "I know that, Julianna. For the next several years, things did not get better. They got progressively worse. I had to make a decision. I had to get away from this town. If I hadn't, I don't believe I would be standing here today, talking to you."

"Why did you continue to drink?" she asked, even though she didn't really want to know the answer to that question.

"Because I was miserable," A.J. admitted. "I lived down to everyone's expectations of me. I know now that their opinions shouldn't have mattered, but back then, Julianna, I placed way too much emphasis on what my family thought of me. And I continued to fight for Michael because Carly told me I was his father. I believed her. I wanted to *be* Michael's father. I would have tried to be in your life, too, Julianna, if I had known of your existence."

"You would have never gotten me," she said, her tone icy. "I would have never chosen you over my mother! Never!"

"I wouldn't have asked you to," A.J. said. "But I would have wanted to be in your life."

"You wouldn't have even cared that I existed," she accused, turning to face her father once more. "You were too wrapped up worrying about Michael and getting revenge. You think my mother would have let me anywhere near you while you were drinking?! My mother would have never done that!"

"I know that. We talked about that. But, Julianna, I swear to you I haven't had a drink in eleven years. I hit rock bottom, and I knew I had to make changes in my life. I was on the path to total destruction. I would've died. I know that."

"You let Carly and your family bring you to that point?"

"Yes, I did. I'm not proud of any of this, Julianna, but it's the truth. I led a very self-destructive life. I couldn't run the family business the way my grandfather wanted me to. I couldn't be a part of Michael's life because his mother married a mobster who made sure my life was a living hell. I wanted revenge so badly I could taste it. I married Sonny's sister, mostly out of spite, and when I went too far with that plan, I lost her to Jason. I thought I was losing my mind, Julianna, and I decided there had to be something better out there. Somewhere. Anywhere. Just not in this town.

"I found the help I needed, and I started making decisions for myself. My failures were my failures, but my successes were my successes, too. I saw many things through a different perspective, a different mind set. I had peace within myself for the very first time. I wish I could describe this to you so you would understand my transition, but I'm not sure I can. All I can tell you, Julianna, is I did some really horrible things, and I had some very horrible and humiliating things done to me. I survived, and I'm here today, ready and willing to have whatever part of your life you want to give me. Am I asking for too much?"

When Julianna didn't answer, A.J. continued. He had to find a way to reach her. He just had to.

"Your mother told me to tell you about Michael. I still don't listen very well. Keesha was right about this, and she's been right about so many things. I didn't tell you because I didn't know how to. I really want you to see me as the person I am today. I'm not blotting out my mistakes or trying to minimize them, but I have made changes in my life. Real changes, Julianna. Changes that, I hope, have made me a better person and that will make me a better father to you. Should I even try any more or have you already written me off as someone who you will never allow to be your father?"

"I don't know," Julianna said, her voice and body trembling. "How many more bombshells are going to be dropped on me?"

"None, I hope. The secrets are out. Yes, there's more I could tell you about what I did and what was done to me, but what I've told you, Julianna, are the lowlights of a very bad time in my life. I'm not that person any more, at least I haven't been in a long time. I struggle every day not to take a drink, but I take care of myself and I do what I know I need to do to get me through each day, one day at a time. It's worked for me, and my goal is for my program to continue to work for me. Will you ever be able to give me a chance?"

"I was giving you a chance," Julianna said, "and then I find out about you and Michael's mom!"

"I should have told you, Julianna. That was my mistake, and I apologize for not telling you. But I had no way of knowing you and Michael knew each other."

"I realize that. I thought you were going to faint when you opened up the door and saw us standing there."

"I almost did."

"A.J., I know none of us is perfect, but I love my mother so much that I can't bear the thought of all that she must have gone through in the names of friendship and love. I can't understand why you would put someone you say you loved through all that turmoil."

"I did it because I was a self-centered jerk. I was. I can admit that now because I've been through enough counseling to know what to call my behavior. I excelled at "Jerk 101," along with "Downtrodden 101," but I had some great people who got me started on a different, and much better, path."

A.J. breathed an inward sigh of relief when he saw his daughter crack a smile.

"You like those terms I used to describe myself, I can tell."

Julianna shook her head. "I don't know what to think anymore," she admitted.

Michael had ceased massaging her shoulders and stood next to her.

"Before today, I think you were willing to give me a chance," A.J. said.

"I was."

She glanced at Michael who was looking at her with hope on his face.

"And I guess I still am," she said grudgingly. "But only because of my mother."

"I understand."

"Can I talk to Julianna alone for a minute?" Michael asked.

A.J. looked to his daughter who nodded.

"I'll be in the bedroom. Knock on the door when you're through."

Michael waited until he'd heard the click of the door closing, and then he turned to look at Julianna.

"I know I said I wouldn't defend the guy, but Julianna, I have to tell you that there was a lot more he could've said in his own defense. I believe he's really trying to be the father he thinks you want him to be."

"How can he do that when *I* don't even know what kind of a father I want him to be?"

"That's just it. He's playing it very safe because he's not sure, at all, where he stands with you."

"Good. I want him to be guessing about that."

"Why, Julianna? What has he done to you since coming into your life except not be upfront about his past?"

"Isn't that enough?"

"No," Michael said, shaking his head. "I don't think it is. I believe he would've told you everything. Eventually. I think he needs some encouragement, Julianna. And he needs to receive it from you."

"Encouragement for what?" she asked, puzzled.

"Encouragement that you and he will have some kind of a relationship at some point in your life."

"I'm not ready to give him that kind of encouragement," she said, digging in her heels.

"I know you're not, and I'm not saying it has to be today. But you know what would be nice?"

"What?"

"If you gave him a hug when we leave here."

"I've hugged him before," she said, uncomfortable with Michael's suggestion.

"Then it should be easy to do it again," he said and grinned.

In spite of her mood, she found herself smiling.

"C'mon," he cajoled. "You know you wanna. Let's leave here on a somewhat positive note. Okay?"

"Is that what we're doing? Leaving?"

"Unless you want to go a few more rounds."

"No," she said, "I don't. Not today."

"Can I tell him to come out?"

"Sure," she said, lifting her shoulders in a shrug. "Why not."

"Your enthusiasm overwhelms me."

"Go get A.J."

"Yes, Ma'am."

When A.J. returned to the main room of his suite, he waited expectantly for Julianna to speak.

"Michael and I are going to leave," she said.

"Okay. I still would like to know how the two of you know each other."

"We'll tell you," Michael said. "Another time."

"I'm going to talk to my mother, too," Julianna said. "Mama doesn't know that Michael and I are friends."

"Your mother doesn't know you were coming here today?"

"No. I had no intention of coming here until I found out about your relationship with Michael. I wanted Michael to tell me everything, but he said I needed to hear it from you. He was right. I did need to hear this in your words. I'm not cold-hearted, A.J. I saw the pain in your eyes. I can tell that you've suffered, but it also sounds like you made some of the people around you suffer, too. Especially my mother. That's what I can't get past. I'm sorry, but I can't."

"I keep telling myself that when you voice these concerns, they're valid, and I respect them. You know, when I was born, my father didn't believe I was his son. Consequently, there was always something off about our relationship. I knew I had disappointed him many times. When I was trying my best to stay sober, he told me it didn't matter to him. That basically I didn't matter to him. It was just the way he felt. He said his love for Jason came more naturally to him than any love he may have felt for me. That's one of the main reasons I fought so hard for Michael, and why I tried to make things easy for him when he was born. Because I didn't want him to ever doubt that his father loved him. I don't want you to doubt it either, Julianna. I know these words are coming almost sixteen years too late, but I'm speaking from my heart. I love you, Julianna, as your father. I always will. I've never had any reservations that I could love you and care for you from the moment I found out you were my daughter. I wouldn't wish my father's words on anyone. I fought to be somebody in my own family, to be accepted for who I was, flaws and all, but it was never meant to be. I just want you to know that you will always have a place in my life. I will never shut you out, and I will try my best to always be there for you. I mean that, Julianna. I mean that from the bottom of my heart."

Before A.J. had finished speaking, his daughter was in his arms. He held her and stroked the back of her hair as she clung to him, his heartfelt words still running through her mind.

"You're my daughter," he said, his voice thick with emotion, "and nothing is ever going to change that. Please, Julianna. Someway, someday, please find it in your heart to let me be your father."

Chapter 27 by pinkrose

Chapter 27

"I'm not ready to go home," Julianna said to Michael once they had left A.J.'s hotel room.

"Are you hungry?"

"No. My stomach is upset, and I have a headache. Can we go somewhere so I can get something to drink? I'd like to take some aspirin."

"There's a store down the street."

After Julianna took her aspirin, she and Michael resumed walking.

"I should call my mom," she said, pulling her cell phone from her purse.

Dara answered and told her Keesha was sleeping. Julianna told her she would be home soon.

"Do you want to head for the house?" Michael asked.

"I guess we should. I have to face my mother some time and tell her about my talk with A.J. If she's awake, would you like to meet her?"

"I'd love to."

"I bet you know who were staying with."

"Let me guess. Are you with Justus and Dara?"

Julianna nodded.

"When you said your last name was 'Ward,' I had a feeling. I don't know them that well, but, man, can Dara sing."

"You've heard her?"

"Yeah. There's a place called 'The Outback' that's really neat. I guess I shouldn't hang out there because I'm underage, but I don't drink. My cousins are there some times. Their parents own the place. It's fun. Maybe you'd like to go some time?" he ventured.

"I don't know."

Michael heard the lack of enthusiasm in her voice and didn't press.

"Is your headache easing up?"

"Not really. Michael, I have to know. How did you accept all those different fathers into your life? I don't get it."

He knew her mind was still on her conversation with A.J. He wanted to help her if he could.

"I didn't have much choice. My mother chose my fathers for me. I didn't really know any different until I would hear my mother and Sonny arguing, sometimes, about Jason and A.J. Jason was always a presence in my life. He's the one I was the closest to. I never got to see A.J., so I didn't think about him, and I didn't even know my real dad existed until the accident."

"Sonny thought A.J. was your father?"

"He did. I don't think my mother ever told him about my dad. Remember when your father said there was more he could have told you about his life back then?"

Julianna nodded.

"I can fill you in on some things if you want me to."

"Do I really want to hear more?" she asked and sighed.

"It's up to you, Jule."

"Go ahead," she said, sounding drained. "You might as well tell me."

"Well, according to what my grandmother told me, by the time Sonny entered the picture, my mom and I were living with A.J. at the Quartermaine mansion. He and my mom had married."

"I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but your mom did some strange things, Michael. Why would she marry the man she knew wasn't your father? It certainly didn't seem as though she ever loved A.J. Didn't my father say they ended up bitter enemies?"

"Yeah, he said that because they were. I'm not really sure why my mother married your father, but I know nothing good came out of it. The reason Sonny remained in our lives is because my mom was pregnant with his child. I've heard that she tried to pass off the baby as your father's. But when that failed, Sonny basically took control of my mother's life. That's when we left A.J. and moved in with Sonny."

"And you were how old then?" Julianna asked, her head pounding.

She wondered how much more she could stand to hear.

"I was about 2-1/2 years old."

"And you were already on to your third father?!"

"Yeah. I know it's crazy, Jule, but I didn't really know what was going on. The one person I knew the best was Jason. He was always around."

"I don't get why your mother didn't just marry him."

Michael chuckled. "My grandmother said the same thing. I think it had more to do with Jason, but whatever. It doesn't really matter now."

"No, I suppose it doesn't. Was my father still living here when your mother died?"

Michael shook his head. "He was already living in Manhattan."

"Then how did you and he become friends?"

"A few weeks after the funeral, when things had started to somewhat calm down, my dad told me he had talked to A.J. He suggested we go visit him."

"Were you with your dad?"

"No. I was with my grandmother and my brother."

"We really haven't told each other a lot about ourselves, have we? I didn't know you have a brother."

They found themselves strolling through the park.

"We're taking the long way to your house. Is that okay?"

"Yeah."

"Until I knew who my real father was, I didn't know I had a brother either."

"So this wasn't your mother's child?"

"No. My mom lost that baby."

He chose not to tell her that it was due to an altercation with a drunken A.J. on the staircase at the Quartermaine mansion.

"So your dad has another son?"

"Yes. This is going to get even weirder, Jule, but my dad and my grandmother were once married."

"I don't even want to know the details about that."

"Well, they adopted Lucas. They lost a daughter before I was born. Her name was B.J. My cousin Maxie has her heart."

"Now that's tragic," Julianna said, "but I can relate to that. I mean, in order for my mother to get a new liver, I know it means someone else will have to die. I hate that thought, but if my mother doesn't get a new liver then she will die. That's so sad, Michael. I feel bad for your grandmother. She's lost two children. I feel bad for your father, too, but some of this other stuff is just too out there for me. I don't know what I would have done if my mother hadn't kept things structured for me."

"That's what my dad and my grandmother tried to do for me, but my grandmother was grieving. I'm ashamed to say this, but I took advantage of that fact. Big time. I'm surprised she didn't kick me out of her house."

"Your grandmother loves you, Michael. She knew you were hurting, too. Did she go with you and your dad when to went to visit A.J. in Manhattan?"

"No. Jason wanted to go, but my dad said 'no way.' At the time, I was very upset, and I told him if Jason didn't go, then I didn't want to go. My dad was strict, but he was right. Jason didn't need to be there. Plus, he was a marked man, and my father wanted to make sure I was as far away from him as I could be."

A sobering thought suddenly occurred to Julianna.

"Are you safe, Michael? Is it okay for you to be walking around like this?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Those guys got who they wanted, for the most part. The fact that Jason hasn't been seen around here in a few years has cooled their interest in this town."

"What happened?"

"It was all mob- and territory-related. I don't know the particulars, and I told my dad and my grandmother that I don't want to know. I have enough images in my mind without adding more."

"What happened when you went to Manhattan?"

"I can tell you that A.J. was devastated when my dad told him what had taken place in the hospital with my mom's deathbed confession. But my dad was prepared. He was able to answer all of A.J.'s questions, and he produced every bit of evidence A.J. asked for. In the end, your father had to accept the truth. That doesn't mean it was easy for him because I know it wasn't. He offered for us to stay with him for a few days. Unfortunately, he sometimes witnessed me at my worst. I didn't really want to be with my dad, Jule. I wanted Jason. He was the one I felt the most comfortable with. I know now how much that must have upset your father. I was also having terrifying nightmares. I still have them," he added quietly.

"I would be shocked if you didn't," Julianna said, empathy present in her voice.

"A.J. tried to talk to me, to counsel me, but I didn't want to hear what he had to say. I didn't want to hear what anyone had to say. Not then. The pain and my grief were too fresh. I really didn't know what was going to happen to me. When my dad and I got back to Port Charles, they made me go to counseling. I hated it. I just wanted to be left alone. I refused to talk. The summer after I turned fourteen, my dad called A.J. and told him about my drug and behavioral habits. He asked A.J. to help me. I agreed to go to Manhattan because I thought it would be cool to see what damage I could do there with no parental control. A.J. wouldn't let me. I lived with him, Jule, and he placed me in one of the newer programs he had just started for teen-agers who were grieving and who were on drugs and/or drinking. He called it 'The Michael' program."

"How can you smile when you say that?" Julianna asked, her tone serious.

"Sometimes you just have to laugh. I knew I was a mess; A.J. knew I was a mess, but that summer I lived with him changed my life. He spent a lot of time with me, whether I wanted him to or not. He didn't care. He was just there for me. I knew I was getting special treatment, but you know what? I loved it. He was tough on me, and so were my counselors, but he and I had a lot of fun, too. He took me places, he showed me all around Manhattan, we went to baseball games, he listened to me when I really needed to talk. He knew I hadn't completely kicked the drug habit, but he told me, in no uncertain terms, what would happen to me if he found drugs in his penthouse. You talked about structure. That's what your father gave me. Before the end of that summer, I had come to respect him. Grudgingly, but I really did respect and like him. As a person. When I was getting ready to return here, he told me it was up to me. I had to be the one to say I didn't need the drugs anymore. The only thing he made me promise was that I would continue to go to therapy and attend NA meetings. I told him I would, and I did, Jule. By the time my fifteen birthday arrived, I was happy to say I was drug free. Your father called me that day, and we had a great talk. He always calls me on my birthday. I'll never forget that summer I spent with him, Jule. He helped me so much."

"When you talk about my father like that, I ask myself why I'm so reluctant to give him a chance. But then when I think about the other stuff he's done..."

"I know it's hard, but sometimes, you just gotta let the bad things go, or at least not dwell on them so much."

"I guess," she said, but Michael could tell he had not been able to convince her.

"Are you feeling any better?" he asked as they reached Dara and Justus' house.

"Not really."

"If you'd rather I didn't go inside, I understand."

"Maybe another time would be better."

"No problem. Will you call me or send me an e-mail?"

"Yeah. I'll be in touch."

"If I don't hear from you, I'm going to have to be a pest again."

Julianna offered him a weak smile. "You've never been a pest," she assured him. "You're my friend, Michael. And I'm very glad you are."

Chapter 28 by pinkrose

Chapter 28

Julianna woke up late the next morning. Dara and Justus had already left for work when she entered the kitchen to cook breakfast for Keesha and herself. When she carried the tray into her mother's bedroom, Keesha asked her if she was feeling better.

"Yes," she said but her voice belied her answer.

"Are you ready to tell me what happened?"

Julianna nodded as she sat on her mother's bed and spread strawberry jam on a piece of wheat toast.

"I didn't tell you everything I had planned yesterday," she began. "Mama, I've been chatting with someone online who I found out lives in this town. His name is Michael."

"Michael?" Keesha repeated, her dark eyes scrutinizing her daughter's face.

Of course, there was more than one Michael in any town, even Port Charles. However...

"Yes. And it's the Michael you're probably thinking it might be. Mama, I know pretty much everything, I think."

Keesha let her fork clatter onto the plate.

"Who told you everything?"

Her tone demanded an immediate answer.

"A.J. and Michael. Mama, I had no idea until Michael and I met and started talking. I never knew any of his history when we chatted online. I freaked out when he told me. I wanted him to tell me the story because I'm sorry, but I trust him more than A.J., but he said I needed to go to my father. So we did. Michael and I confronted A.J. in his hotel room yesterday."

Keesha let her head fall back against the pillows as she closed her eyes and tried to absorb her daughter's words.

"I'm dazed at your revelation. You and Michael showing up unexpectedly at A.J.'s hotel room must have almost given him a heart attack. Your father must have been astounded," she whispered.

"He did almost faint at the sight of us," Julianna admitted.

Keesha took a moment to try to put herself in A.J.'s position. She inwardly cringed as she thought about what he might have endured.

"I hope you let him talk once he recovered from the shock," she said, when she finally opened her eyes. "And I also hope you gave him the courtesy of listening very carefully."

"I did. I wanted to know the truth. But I...I couldn't stomach a lot of what I was hearing. Mama, I have to ask you. Why did you ever get involved with A.J.? Why would you want to be with someone like him? I don't understand."

Their food almost untouched and forgotten, mother and daughter stared at each other for a long moment before Keesha attempted to answer Julianna's questions.

"I need to establish something here," she told her daughter. "Whatever you may think of your father, he is not a monster. When we were much younger, we had a lot of good times together. We were friends. The drinking and how much it ended up costing A.J. bothered me. I'm not going to lie about that. But there is so much more to your father than the fact he is a recovering alcoholic. We loved each other once upon a time. Circumstances intervened, and we both made choices, but I don't regret the time I spent with him. I need you to understand that. There is a lot of good in your father, Julianna. A lot of good."

"Were you and Michael's mother friends?"

"No," Keesha answered without hesitation. "When Carly first came to town, I thought maybe we could be friends, but I quickly changed my mind. I'm sorry she's dead, but I'm not going to canonize her. She was a very unhappy woman who caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people. She made your father's life hell. I hope he told you that."

"I sorta knew that was the case. Did A.J. love Carly?"

"He had feelings for her. He probably did love her. But she didn't love him. She wanted him out of her life. Permanently."

"A.J. said you helped him figure out Carly's schemes."

"I did and, Julianna, I would've kept on helping A.J. if I had stayed in Port Charles. Carly viciously taunted him about Michael. She used that poor baby as a pawn in her lies and her schemes. I had absolutely no reason to doubt him when he said if Michael was his son, he wanted to be a father to him. I was ready to help him gain custody of Michael. I felt that strongly about how Carly had used and abused your father. He tried to be a friend to her. She treated him horribly. I was on his side one hundred percent, and I don't regret anything I did during that time. His persistence when it came to Michael made me struggle that much more with the decision I had made not to tell him about you. Julianna, the last sixteen years have not been easy ones for me. But watching you grow up is what has made my life worthwhile."

"Mama, you made the right choice. A.J. ended up marrying Carly!"

Keesha closed her eyes for a moment. When she opened them, she spoke patiently. "I know he did. And it ended in disaster. Not for Carly, but for your father. He lost Michael, who he thought was his son. I admit that knowing he had married Carly and that he had Michael with him made my decision easier. I believed I'd made the right choice based on what I knew, but I also realized A.J. had a right to know about you."

"He told me about his own situation when he was born. He said he didn't want Michael to suffer the way he has throughout his life. He said he wouldn't have wanted me to suffer either."

"A.J. has not had an easy life, Julianna. Can you at least acknowledge that much?"

"But he hurt you. That's what I can't forgive. I'm sorry, but I can't. You didn't deserve to be so callously tossed aside once you left Port Charles. A.J. should have thought about you, Mama!"

Keesha reached for her daughter's hand and clasped their fingers together. "Julianna, I need to tell you something. A.J. did not hurt me. Jason was the one who broke my heart, baby girl, not your father."

Julianna's hazel eyes clouded with confusion.

"I don't understand."

"I'm trying to tell you, sweetheart. A.J. and I were friends. Yes, there was an attraction there, more so on his part than mine in the early days, but the one I fell hard for was Jason. We were together, and we were in love. We were young, but we knew what we were doing. He was my first lover, Julianna. I wanted to spend my life with him."

"But then he got into the accident with A.J."

"That's right. He had no memory of me. I could've lived with that, but he took it too far. He dismissed me as if I meant absolutely nothing to him. I realize he didn't know who I was, but he didn't have to be so cruel. He never tried to find out who I was, the very important part I played in his life, what we had meant to each other. He woke up a different man, and he broke my heart. He wasted no time getting involved with a friend of mine, Robin Scorpio. I could've lived with that, too, if I'd had some closure, but Jason never gave me that. Your father was the one who was there for me, Julianna. He helped me just as much as I helped him. I came to love him, but I was also very protective of my heart. A.J. knew that and respected my needs. When he stopped drinking, we reconnected on a very deep level. We were older, we'd both been through a lot, and we were ready for some happiness and love.

"I'll give you an example. One day I'll never forget was my birthday in 1998. I'd had a horrible day. I'd had arguments with people at the hospital, I'd had a heated run-in with Jason about some things that were going on that I didn't approve of. By the time I finally left work, all I wanted to do was climb under my covers and forget it was my birthday. I lived in a room above a popular diner named 'Kelly's,' and I couldn't figure out why it had closed so early in the evening. When I walked in, Julianna, I saw what your father had done for me. He had rented the entire restaurant for just the two of us. So we could celebrate my birthday. Together. By ourselves. With no outside interference. Beautiful decorations hung everywhere, music was playing, and when he stepped into the dining area from the kitchen, my heart soared. I couldn't stop smiling. He amazed me. I had no idea he was going to acknowledge my birthday in any way. And then to make it so special. He knew how to please me, Julianna. We talked, we laughed, we toasted. He even poured me a glass of champagne with no problem, and then he poured himself a non-alcoholic beverage. We ate, we danced, and we kissed. He was trying, really trying, to put a lot of bad things behind him. He said he was ready to make a fresh start. With me. He wanted us to try again. I wanted it, Julianna. I wanted it so much. I was so ready to be with him. I'd been wanting to be with him, but I wasn't going to compete with Carly because, frankly, she was not worth it. Her name never came up. We just talked about us and our future. It was one of the most beautiful and special birthdays I'd ever had. I fell in love with your father that night, Julianna. I wanted to be with him. Only him."

"Thinking about that night is making you happy. I can tell. Mama, are you still in love with A.J.?"

Keesha considered her words before she answered.

"I care about him a lot," she said. "So much time has passed, and we haven't been together. But when I started reading about how wonderfully he was doing, I wanted to see him, Julianna. I wanted to tell him, in person, that the A.J. I've been reading about is the one I always believed he could be."

"You had more faith in him than he had in himself, didn't you?"

"I guess I did. I'm very happy for him, Julianna. I still need to see my fondest wish come true, however. Someday, baby girl, I want *you* to be happy and proud that A.J. Quartermaine, Jr., is your father. Am I getting any closer to having that wish come true?"

*~*

Bobbie didn't have to be at the hospital until early afternoon, allowing her and Michael to spend some quality time together.

"You were busy yesterday," she said to her grandson as they ate waffles at the kitchen table. "I didn't see you at all."

"I know. Sorry 'bout that."

"Were you with your father or Lucas?"

"No. Grandma, I have something to tell you."

Bobbie prayed it wouldn't be something bad.

"Go ahead," she said, her voice wary.

"I know that you met Keesha and Julianna Ward at the hospital the other day."

Surprise registered on Bobbie's face.

"How would you know something like that?" she asked. "And how do you even know who they are?"

"Grandma, I've been talking with Julianna online for over a year. But I never knew who she was, and she didn't know who I was. We finally met yesterday."

"That's amazing," Bobbie said. "How could you not know who she was?"

"We decided to keep things simple between us," Michael explained, "so we didn't talk about our families. It just seemed like an easy thing to do."

"I was going to invite you to join us for lunch if Keesha called me. I told her I'd like to see them again. I thought about you when I met Julianna. She seems like a lovely girl. Is she?"

"Oh, yeah, Grandma, she is. She definitely is."

"Wow. You and Keesha Ward's daughter are friends. I didn't even know she had a daughter until I saw her at the hospital. Are they living here?"

"They're staying with Justus and Dara, but it's just temporary. Grandma, if I tell you a couple of really important things, will you promise me that you won't say anything to anyone. Not even Dad or Lucas. And especially not Jerry Jacks. Please?"

"Of course. I *can* keep a secret, Michael."

"I know. I just want to make sure that I don't blow this for Julianna and Keesha. Grandma, Keesha is here in Port Charles because she needs a liver transplant. They're hoping she'll be able to have one at GH."

"How awful," Bobbie said, concerned. "Keesha didn't look that well when I saw her, but she didn't say anything, so I didn't ask any questions. She and Julianna must be going out of their minds with worry."

"They are worried, but Grandma, for the most part, Julianna has it together. I haven't met Keesha, but I know she's got to be a great lady."

"She is. Is Keesha married? I've been thinking about that since I saw her."

"No, she isn't. That's the other secret I wanted to share with you. Julianna and I shocked each other yesterday when we started talking. Grandma, Julianna's father is A.J. Quartermaine."

Bobbie sank back in her chair. "You know, I had a feeling that was a strong possibility. Oh my. Is he here, Michael? Is A.J. in Port Charles?"

Michael nodded. "We saw him yesterday. Julianna has so many questions and fears. I really feel bad for her."

"You two must have shocked that poor man into next week!"

"We did. I was the one who opened my big mouth and mentioned his name. Julianna demanded answers from me, but I thought she should get them from her father."

"Julianna knows about your mother?" Bobbie asked, her voice low.

"Yes, Grandma, she does. But A.J. was cool. He didn't diss Mama that much at all. He wants to be in Julianna's life."

"She doesn't want that?"

"Not in the same way A.J. does."

"I wonder what Keesha thinks of all this."

"Julianna was going to talk to her. When we left A.J.'s hotel room, she asked me if I would like to meet her mom. I said I would, but when we reached the house, Julianna was out of it. So, I told her I would meet Keesha some other time. I hope I hear from her soon."

"You really like this girl, don't you?"

Michael gave her his boyish grin. "I do, Grandma. I like her a lot."

"Was A.J. happy to see you after the shock wore off?"

Michael smiled. "Yeah, he was. We didn't talk when Julianna was there because I told her I wouldn't defend A.J., even though I had to bite my tongue several times while they were talking. But after I left Julianna, I went back to see him. He wanted to know how we met, so I told him."

"You know what this means, don't you?"

"Well, I think a lot of stuff is going on, but what are you referring to?"

"Monica and Alan. Michael, they have a granddaughter. Do you think they'll ever get to meet her?"

"I honestly don't know."

"Do you realize how incredible this all is?"

"Yeah, I do. I could hardly sleep last night. I'm sure Julianna was the same way."

At that moment, their conversation was interrupted by the ringing of Michael's cell phone. He hoped it was Julianna, and it was.

"Hey," he said, moving away from his grandmother so he could have a little privacy. "How are you?"

"I'm okay," she said. "I told Mama everything this morning."

"I was just telling my grandmother about it. I told her she had to keep the news to herself. She promised me she would."

"Thank you. I appreciate that. I'm sure my mother and A.J. appreciate it, too."

"How did your mom take the news?"

"Pretty well. She explained her feelings to me. My mother really cares about A.J., and I know you do, too, Michael. Maybe I just need to spend more time with him."

"That sounds like a good idea. Are you going to see him today?"

"Maybe later. I haven't talked to him. Michael, I'd like to see you. Can we get together?"

"Sure. You tell me when."

"Can you believe I haven't really eaten anything since yesterday morning. I tried to eat breakfast today, but once my mom and I started talking, the food was pretty much forgotten."

"I know a fun place we could go to for lunch. Would you like me to come get you? Maybe I could meet your mom."

"I'll have to ask her if it's okay to leave her alone for a while, but yeah, Michael, why don't you come by? I would like you to meet my mom. She remembers when you were baby. I know she'd like to see you again."

"Great. I'll be there in a couple of hours."

"Sounds good."

"Jule?"

"Yeah?"

"Call A.J. Okay? I know hearing from you would make his day."

Chapter 29 by pinkrose

Chapter 29

Julianna was still thinking about Michael's suggestion when A.J. arrived unexpectedly at the house. She ushered him into the living room.

"I'll tell Mama you're here."

"I hope it's okay that I didn’t call first. I wanted to see how you and Keesha were doing."

"It's fine. Do you want coffee?"

"No, thanks."

Julianna left the room to help her mother get ready to visit with A.J. As soon as A.J. saw Keesha, he rose from his chair and assisted her into the most comfortable chair in the room.

"You look good," he told her.

Keesha gave him a warm smile. "Thanks. I've been feeling better. I think the medication Dr. Burgess-Harmon gave me is helping."

He returned her smile. "Excellent. Have you heard anything from her?"

"No. I have another appointment next week."

"You didn't tell me you talked to Bobbie," he gently chided.

"I know. I wasn't sure if I should tell you. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. My mother *thinks* she saw us at the hospital."

"Who told you that?" Keesha asked.

"Emily. I called to tell her I wasn't in Manhattan. She told me that my mom asked if I was here."

"Are you going to visit your family?"

"I don't know. Emily asked me the same question."

"Who is Emily?" Julianna asked.

"Emily is my younger sister," A.J. explained. "My parents adopted her when her mother died from breast cancer. My mom, your grandmother, battled breast cancer, too, and she became friends with Emily's mom."

Julianna nodded.

"A.J.," Keesha said, "could Julianna meet Emily? I think it would be nice for her to know some of her relatives."

A.J. looked at his daughter. "Do you want to meet my family, Julianna? If you say 'yes,' then I will get in touch with them."

"You would do that for me?" she asked, truly touched.

"Yes, I would. The only one who knows about you is one of my best friends, Skye. I would love for both of you to meet her and her husband, Tom. We're all recovering alcoholics, and we have a lot in common. Skye and Tom have pretty much taken over managing the Port Charles office. I trust both of them implicitly. Emily knows about you, Keesha, because Bobbie told my mom she talked with you. They know you have a teen-age daughter, but they don't know I'm the father. Julianna, if you want to meet my family, I'd like the part about my being your father to remain a secret. For now. Until they’ve had a chance to meet you."

"I understand."

"Julianna, honey," Keesha asked, "what do you think?"

"I don't know," she said. "You haven't had a relationship with your family in a long time, A.J."

"No, I haven't, but that doesn't mean you automatically get shut out of their lives or that they get shut out of yours. If you're curious about them, then I think you should meet."

"Do I have to decide right now?"

"No, of course not," Keesha said.

"Okay. Then I'd like to think about it. I'll let you know, A.J."

"That's fine."

"We should tell you that Michael will be here soon," Keesha said. "I heard about your surprise visitors yesterday. I'm amazed you didn't pass out from shock."

"I'm amazed I didn't faint, too. I thought I was dreaming when the two of them walked into my suite. We had a very intense and emotional conversation. I don't know if Julianna told you the details, but that's one of the reasons I stopped by. I wanted to make sure she was okay."

"I'm better," Julianna said. "I'm still trying to understand all that you told me, but at least my head isn't pounding anymore."

The doorbell chime interrupted their conversation.

"That's probably Michael," Julianna said. "I'll be right back."

When she opened the door and saw Michael's friendly face, she breathed an audible sigh of relief.

"I'm so glad you're here. Come in. A.J. is visiting with us."

"You called him!" Michael said, pleased.

"No. He showed up before I could. He wanted to see how Mama and I were doing. They're in the living room. It's this way. Mama can't wait to see you."

They crossed the carpeted hallway and entered the living room. Michael said "hi" to A.J. and then he let Julianna introduce him to her mother. Michael saw her frailty, but he also saw her beauty and her strength.

"Mama, this is Michael."

"It's been such a long time," Keesha said, shaking her head in wonder. "You weren't even talking the last time I saw you."

"And now I never shut up," Michael said and laughed.

Taking in his appearance, Keesha’s face lit up and tears sprang to her eyes.

"Michael, you look wonderful!"

"Thank you. I've heard a lot about you, Ms. Ward. I'm so happy to finally meet you or would that be meet you again?"

"Please call me Keesha. I saw your grandmother the other day. I know she's been through a lot, but she looks good. I was sorry to hear about your mother and Sonny."

"Thank you. It's been a rough few years. I told Julianna how much A.J. has helped me. His program really works. At least it did for me."

"I think it's fantastic," she said. "I'm sorry you ended up having to go there, but I'm thrilled A.J. was able to help you."

"It wasn't just me," A.J. said.

"There were other counselors," Michael said, "and meetings that I had to attend, but A.J. was the one I spent the most time with. He helped me, and I'll never forget that."

Keesha reached for A.J.'s hand and clasped it in her own. She looked at him and smiled.

"I knew you would find a way to help people, A.J. I just knew it."

"Yes, A.J.," Julianna concurred. "I think what you're doing for people who are where you've been is wonderful. I'm not just saying that because Michael is my friend, and you've helped him. I...I've been reading more of the articles and interviews from the magazines. Mama asked me earlier if I would be willing to acknowledge that you haven't had an easy life. I am willing to acknowledge that. Because my mother loves me so much, I can't imagine what it must be like to feel unloved and unwanted, but you turned your life around, A.J. You took a horrible situation and made something positive out of it. I hope I have inherited that trait. I think it's a great one."

"Thank you, Julianna," A.J. said, his voice thick with emotion. "You don't know what it means to me to hear you say that."

"I think I do," she said, her voice filled with emotion, too.

A.J. had to admit that his daughter never ceased to amaze him. She never failed to amaze Keesha either. Michael reached for her hand and tenderly squeezed it.

"Mama, is it okay if Michael and I go out for a while?"

"Yes."

"I'll stay with your mother," A.J. offered.

"Where are you going?" Keesha asked.

"I thought we'd go some place nearby for lunch."

"Sounds good. I don't think Julianna has eaten much the last couple of days."

"I thought I might introduce her to some friends and cousins. Is that okay?"

"That's fine," Keesha said. "It'll be nice for you to meet new people, Julianna."

"May I ask one favor?" A.J. interjected.

Michael nodded.

"Please don't tell anyone I'm your father."

"I understand," Julianna said. "I won't say anything."

"Michael, it was such a treat to see you again," Keesha said and smiled.

She held out her arms and Michael gave her a hug.

"Please tell your family I said 'hello'."

"I will. My grandmother said to say 'hi', too."

"Enjoy yourselves," A.J. said.

"We will."

After Julianna and Michael left, A.J. and Keesha looked at each other and shook their heads.

"There hasn't been a dull moment since we arrived," Keesha said.

"Tell me about it," A.J. agreed.

Keesha reached for his hand once more.

"It seems you handled yourself very well when Michael and Julianna showed up at the hotel."

"I didn't have much choice. All I kept thinking was why hadn’t I listened to you. I should've told Julianna about Michael."

"Well, she knows now, and I think she's going to be okay with it. I really do."

"I can't believe they're friends!"

"I couldn't believe it either. When she said the name 'Michael,' I just could not let my mind go there. But he seems like a nice enough young man. I can see your influence in him, A.J. I really can."

When A.J. started to protest, Keesha hushed him.

"Will you *please* let me give you a compliment? Just one? That's all I'm asking for, A.J."

"I appreciate it, Keesha, I do, but I don't want to take away what Michael has done to get his life back on track. He's in a much better place, but I still worry about him."

"Why?"

"Because there are residual effects from what he went through. How can there not be? That boy has not had a normal life in any sense of the word."

"Do you think he's going to go back to drugs?" she asked, concerned.

"No. I think if that were going to happen, it already would have. What I look for are signs that he still has unresolved anger and resentment. One never knows when or how that may manifest itself."

"Julianna's safe with him, isn't she?" Keesha demanded to know.

"Yes, I believe she is. I just can't help wondering, and to a lesser extent worrying, about just how close those two have become."

*~*

While walking to the restaurant Michael had chosen, Julianna filled him in on her conversations with her mother and with A.J.

"My father totally surprised me this morning," she said. "Michael, can you believe he offered to get in touch with his family if I decide I want to meet them?"

"Wow, Jule, that's fantastic!"

"He mentioned a few names. Skye and her husband Tom and Emily, who is my father's sister."

"I know Emily. She's always been an aunt to me. You'll like her, Jule. I definitely think you should meet her. Of course, I think you should meet your grandparents, too."

"Do you know them? What are they like?"

"They're nice people. I know bad things have gone down between them and A.J., but I can't imagine they wouldn't be ecstatic to meet you. My grandmother asked me about that this morning. I told her I didn't know if they would ever meet you."

"What if things don't go well for my father? I would hate it if I caused more problems."

"I don't think you could ever cause problems for anyone, Jule. I think they will love you on sight."

"Is it fair of me to put my father in that position?"

"A.J. offered. Maybe you should just make sure he's really okay with it. If he is, I say go for it."

They'd reached the diner. The neon sign caught Julianna’s attention, and she looked up at it. She couldn't believe her eyes.

"'Kelly's'?" she squealed. "This is 'Kelly's"?!"

"I knew it was popular, but c'mon, Jule. There's no way you've heard of this restaurant."

"I have so," she said. She stuck her tongue out at him which made him laugh. "Mama told me about it this morning. She lived here. Well, in a room above the diner, I guess. Do you think I could see the upstairs? Are there still rooms up there?"

"As far as I know. Let's go in and find out, shall we?"

As soon as they stepped inside the small but bustling diner, people began waving and calling out to Michael. Julianna was a bit taken aback at how popular he was.

"Let me introduce you to some friends of mine, and then we'll ask about going upstairs."

"Okay."

Michael escorted Julianna to Brooke Lynn and Lesley Lu's table.

"Michael!" Lesley Lu greeted. "Sweetie, how are you?"

"Fine. I'd like to introduce you to a good friend of mine. Brooke Lynn Ashton and Lesley Lu Spencer, this is Julianna Ward."

"Ward?" Brooke Lynn asked. "As in Justus and Dara Ward?"

"Justus is a relative," Michael said. "Julianna is Keesha's daughter."

"Keesha!" Brooke Lynn exclaimed. "I know about Keesha. Hello, Julianna. Nice to meet you."

"Hi," she said, staying close to Michael. "It's nice to meet both of you."

"Lesley Lu is my cousin on my mom's side, and Brooke Lynn is her best friend and one of my good friends, too, even though they're older than me."

"Not that much older!" Lesley Lu protested. "Hi, Julianna. It's nice to meet you."

Julianna and Michael chatted with the two brunettes for a few minutes, and then he told them they were going to eat.

"I'll introduce you to another cousin and his wife. Lucky Spencer is Lesley Lu's older brother. Liz is his wife. They have the cutest kids."

"Hey, Mikey," Lucky said.

"You know I hate that name," Michael grumbled.

"Be nice, Lucky," Liz teased. "He has a young lady with him."

"That's why I came here. I wanted to introduce you. Lucky and Liz Spencer, this is Julianna Ward. She's Keesha's daughter."

"Keesha! Oh wow," Liz said. "She hasn't been around here in years. Are you living here?"

"For the time being."

"Is Keesha here?" Lucky asked.

"Yes, she is."

"I hope we can see her," Liz said.

"Maybe you will," Michael said, speaking for Julianna.

"Well, it was very nice meeting you, Julianna," Lucky said.

"Yes," Liz echoed. "Very nice. Tell your mom we said 'hi', okay?"

"I will. Thank you. It was nice meeting both of you, too."

"Stay outta trouble, Mikey," Lucky teased.

"Shut up," Michael said, but then he laughed, too.

"Let's ask Serena Baldwin, one of the waitresses who happens to be my friend, if we can go upstairs."

Michael introduced the cheerful blonde to Julianna who told them they could take a quick tour of the upstairs.

"But don’t disturb anyone," she cautioned.

"We won’t. Thanks, Serena."

Julianna looked at the staircase and began to imagine her mother having to climb those stairs every single day. She thought about their small but cozy house in Philadelphia and felt a pang of homesickness. She wondered if they would ever live in that house again. My mother has come so far and has accomplished so much, she thought, as they ascended the stairs. Thinking of how much her mother had managed to do on her own made her love and respect Keesha that much more.

She and Michael looked around at the small rooms.

"I wonder which one was my mother’s? I’ll have to tell her we came here. I’d like to know which room was hers."

"I know a lot of residents have lived in these rooms."

"I’m proud that we have our own house in Philadelphia," Julianna said as they descended. "I was just wondering if we’re ever going to move back there."

"Would it be self-centered of me if I said I hope you and your mother stay here?"

"That’s sweet, Michael, but Port Charles doesn’t feel like home."

"You have to give it more time, Jule. Can I tell you something?" he asked as they sat at a table and ordered hamburgers and French fries.

"Sure."

"Brooke Lynn? The one I introduced you to earlier?"

Julianna nodded.

"She’s your cousin."

"Really?"

"Yes. Her father and A.J. are cousins. You could get to know her. Become friends with her and Lesley Lu. You could hang out with some of my cousins. We could have a blast."

"I can’t forget why we’re here, Michael. My mother is still my first priority."

"Of course she is. I didn’t mean to minimize that. I’m sorry."

"No, it’s okay. A part of me would like to do all those things, but I just don’t know."

"I think you need to take A.J. up on his offer, Jule. I think you need to meet your grandparents. Maybe some things will make more sense to you if you meet them."

"I’ve been thinking about my father’s offer. I just don’t think I have the right to put him through that kind of stress."

Their food arrived. Julianna was hungry, but it seemed as though other concerns always took precedence over eating.

"You are going to eat, aren’t you?" Michael asked.

"Yeah. After I call my mom."

Keesha answered the phone and after a brief conversation with her daughter, she handed the receiver to A.J.

"It’s Julianna. She wants to talk to you."

"Hey."

"Hi, A.J. I’ve been thinking about what you said at the house."

"About meeting my family?"

"Yes. A.J., are you sure it won’t be too much for you?"

"Yes, Julianna, I’m sure."

"Then I would like to meet your side of the family."

Chapter 30 by pinkrose

Chapter 30

"What did Julianna say?" Keesha asked when the call ended.

"She said she wants to meet my family."

"A.J., that's wonderful."

Now that their daughter had voiced her desire, an uneasiness enveloped A.J. He stood from the chair and ran his fingers through his hair while he paced the room.

"I’m not quite sure what it means," he admitted. "I’m in touch with Emily, but I haven’t seen her or my parents since I left eleven years ago. Not even my grandparents’ deaths could bring me back to this town. I just couldn’t do it, Keesha. But finding out I have a daughter has changed everything. Now *I* have a family, too, more or less. And I don’t want to keep our daughter from her relatives if she wants to meet them."

"A.J.," Keesha said, taking her time as she rose from her chair. She sensed his struggle and wanted to be near him. "I think Julianna can help you. Maybe she can be the bridge that reconnects you to your family. I believe in my heart she’s doing this for you. I want to be a part of this, too. There is no reason you have to face your family alone. You’ve been there for Julianna and me. Now it’s our turn to be there for you."

Their eyes met and held, and an understanding passed between them. Needing to feel connected, A.J. framed Keesha’s heart-shaped face between the palms of his hands and rested his forehead on hers.

"You would do that for me?" he asked in a whisper.

Wanting him to feel her touch, she trailed his cheek with the pad of her index finger. "Yes, A.J., I would," she said, her voice soft.

"I have absolutely no idea what to expect from my parents."

"I know. But whatever happens, you will be all right."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because it’s who you are. Your parents are the ones who are in for a major surprise. They are going to take one look at you and know you are not the same son who left this town. You’re strong and you’re capable, and I have every belief you will know what to say and how to say it the minute you see them."

He brushed the pads of his thumbs against her soft cheeks. "If you knew how much I’m already dreading this, you wouldn’t have so much confidence in me."

"Yes, I would," she insisted, trying not to be distracted by his gentle caresses against her skin. "But A.J., none of this has to happen today or tomorrow. You take as much time as you need."

"Time is one luxury I don’t believe we have."

"For this," she said, continuing to enjoy his touch as he moved to smooth her brow and then her hair, "we do."

As the conversation ceased, both realized how close their mouths were and how much they wanted to kiss. After a beat, they spoke at the same time.

"A.J."

"Keesha."

"You go first," she said, her eyes never leaving his handsome face.

A.J. continued to cradle her head as he voiced the only thought which consumed him. "Is it wrong that all I want to do at this moment is kiss you?"

"I want the same thing," she said, placing her hands on top of his to draw his mouth closer to hers.

Filled with anticipation and a yearning she didn’t realize existed, Keesha leaned forward, inclined her head and then closed her eyes to savor the moment when A.J. gently brushed, nipped, teased and finally claimed her soft lips with his. As soon as she tasted him, she returned his kiss with a passion that stunned them both. Running her fingers through his thick hair, she realized she hungered for him. Her appetite had been whetted. Desire consumed her and grew. She needed to be closer to him, to feel him, to touch him. She shivered with delight when he parted her lips and slipped his tongue inside her mouth, teasing and tantalizing her tongue while she continued to enjoy the taste and the feel of him as he thoroughly explored her mouth. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she held him close, wanting to feel him against her. Every inch of him. She parted her legs to allow A.J. to sidle against her. Letting all other thoughts and concerns go, she fully experienced the thrill of having his lips on hers once more as they continued to share and explore and pleasure each other with their first kiss in almost sixteen years. He could still cause her knees to go weak and her pulse to race. He knew just where to touch her and how to excite her, igniting the fire in her belly she thought had long been extinguished. Pulling him even closer, she deftly slid her warm hands underneath his shirt and ran her palms along the corded muscles of his back as she enjoyed every second that their tongues tangled and danced.

They stared at each other when the kiss finally ended, both thirsting for more. A.J. whispered her name reverently and a bit breathlessly as he continued to hold her in his strong arms. They fit together perfectly.

"I know," she said. She whispered her words while trying to get her heartbeat under control. "Time hasn’t changed everything."

After a few moments of reflective silence, A.J. spoke.

"What would our daughter say if she saw us?"

"I would hope she would understand. I told her you were not the one who hurt me this last time. Do you remember the night of my birthday when you told me you wanted us to be together again?"

"Yes, I do," A.J. said, his voice low and serious. "I meant every word I said that night."

"I know you did," she said, brushing his dark hair. She needed more of him. She didn't know if she would ever be ready to let him go. "I wanted it, too, A.J. I fell in love with you all over again that night. You made it so easy for me to love you. I didn’t want to leave Port Charles. I wanted to stay. I wanted to be with you."

"Keesha, I let so many people and things come between us. I don’t know what would have happened if you had stayed or if I had called but, somehow, we always seem to end up back in each other’s lives. That has to mean something, doesn’t it?"

"I think it does, too. I have to tell you, A.J. I’ve never needed you more than I need you now. I’m so thankful you’re back in my life and in Julianna’s."

"I’m not going anywhere," he assured her.

She closed her eyes as she let his words sink in. He took the opportunity to place feather light kisses on either of her eyelids.

"I know," she said, opening her eyes as tears of joy welled. "And hearing you say that fills me with happiness and a contentment I haven’t known in a long time. Kiss me again, A.J. Please. I need you. So much."

Wanting nothing more than to oblige the lovely lady he held protectively in his arms, he angled his head and soon had covered her mouth with his. He picked up where the first kiss left off, but with an urgency he hadn't realized he possessed until he tasted her warm softness once more. He couldn't get enough of her, and he smiled to himself when he felt her pulling him closer. With her insides tingling from pure pleasure at A.J.'s full cooperation, she took control of the kiss, making sure he knew just how much she wanted and needed him. A.J. did know, and he found himself holding her in his arms long after their second searing kiss had ended. Nestled against the steady rise and fall of his sturdy chest and feeling protected and cherished, Keesha knew there was no place else she would rather be.

*~*

"Zander!" Emily called out as soon as she arrived home from work. "I have exciting news for you!"

Zander darted in from the kitchen, where he had been preparing a snack for their five-year-old twins, Brianna and Brian, to greet his wife.

"What?" he asked, his dark eyes taking in her flushed face. "What’s the big news? Are you pregnant?"

She laughed and gave him a big hug and kiss. "No, silly. I wouldn’t tell you *that* kind of news by screaming in the hallway."

"Then what’s up?" he asked as they walked into the kitchen.

Emily immediately opened the freezer door to see what she could prepare for dinner. She wanted the meal to be a special one.

"We’re having company for dinner."

"Is that all?" he asked and shook his head. "Oh, wait a minute. Is it the Queen? I hope not because I think my tux is at the cleaners."

Emily turned and stroked her husband’s handsome face as he grinned. "You don’t even own a tux. And it’s not the Queen."

"Em, honey, are you going to tell me or are we going to play ‘guess who’s coming to dinner’? I was fixing a snack for our children."

"I see that," she said, looking at the counter. She popped a grape into her mouth.

Crossing his arms in front of him, Zander leaned against the counter and waited for her to tell him who was coming for dinner.

"I’m sorry," she said and kissed him again. "I’m just really excited. A.J. is coming for dinner!"

"A.J.?" Zander said, pushing himself away from the counter. "A.J., as in your brother A.J.?"

"The same one," she confirmed. "Isn’t it fantastic?"

"Yeah, sure, I guess, but why? I mean, it’s not that he’s not welcome here, but isn’t this sudden?"

"Very. I couldn’t believe it when he called me and asked if he could see us tonight. I don’t know what it’s all about, but I told him to come for dinner. He’ll be here in an hour. Zander, help me figure out what to cook!"

*~*

A.J., dressed in black, looked at the picture Keesha had given him of her and Julianna one more time before he rang the doorbell to Emily and Zander’s house. This is it, he told himself as he waited to be admitted. Once he shared his news with them, he knew the next step would be to tell his parents. One thing at a time, he reminded himself. A moment later, he came face to face with his sister who pulled him into a loving embrace the second he stepped inside her house and had put down the shopping bag he held in his hand.

"A.J.," she said, staring at him. "I can’t believe you’re actually in our home. Do you know how many times I’ve thought about this meeting? Every time I talk to you on the phone, I hang up wondering if you would ever come back here. I’m so glad to see you."

The pert brunette hugged him again and then let Zander say "hello." The two men shook hands. Emily led A.J. into the family room, where Brianna and Brian waited anxiously to meet the uncle they had only heard about but had never seen.

"Hello," A.J. said, kneeling down to greet his nephew and his niece.

Brian walked right up to him; Brianna held back.

"You two are so adorable and look just like your parents! May I have a hug?"

Brian giggled when A.J. hugged and tickled him. Brianna, who loved hugs, ran into her uncle’s arms the second he turned his attention to her. A.J. felt a pang of sadness as he realized he would never know what it would have felt like to hold his own daughter when she was that age. He quickly pushed the thought from his mind as he concentrated on the present.

"There’s a shopping bag near the front door," he told them with a wink. "I think there may be something in there for each of you."

"Oh boy!" they squealed in unison, clapping their hands in glee.

The twins disappeared before A.J. could straighten up. Zander laughed.

"You definitely got their attention."

"A.J., that was so sweet of you, but you didn’t have to bring them presents."

"I wanted to," he said. "I haven’t been a very good uncle."

"Yes, you have," Emily said. "You always remember their birthdays and Christmas."

"Yes, but they don’t know who I am."

"Now they do," Zander said. "Have a seat, A.J. Can I get you something to drink?"

"Club soda if you have it."

"We do. Em, how about you?"

"Club soda for me, too."

"I’ll be right back."

A.J. and Emily sat on the sofa. She kept staring at her brother as if she expected him to evaporate any moment.

"You look so healthy and happy," she said.

"Thanks. So do you. I’m very glad you are working at the Port Charles center."

"It just seemed like a natural fit with all I’ve been through. Those kids, and the adults, need our help, A.J. I’m proud to be a part of what you are doing. I wish you would visit our center some time."

"Maybe down the road. Right now, I can’t. But I know Skye and Tom are doing a wonderful job. I have every faith in them."

"They are managing it very well. I really like working for them. So does everyone else."

"I love hearing that," he said and smiled.

Zander returned with their drinks and took a seat across from the sofa.

"Welcome to our home," he said, and they toasted.

"I’ll show you the rest of the place after we eat," Emily said.

"I’ll enjoy seeing it," he assured them.

"Mommy, Mommy! Look what Unca A.J. gave me!"

Brianna squealed with delight as she ran to her mother and showed her the bright pink box containing a Barbie doll and two outfits.

"Ooo, Bri, how nice!" Emily gushed. "What do you say, sweetheart?"

"Thank you, Unca A.J.," Brianna said.

Her shyness gone, Brianna climbed onto his lap and wrapped her small arms around his neck. "She’s so pretty!"

"You’re welcome," he said, overcome with emotion at how loving his niece was. "I'm happy you like her."

Brianna contented herself on A.J.’s lap as she watched her father open the box for her. Zander handed his darling daughter her Barbie. With a big smile on her face, she showed the doll to A.J. and then played with it while she remained on his lap.

Brian had opened his box by himself and raced in soon afterward to thank his uncle for the neat set of cars.

"I love these," he said. "How'd ya know?"

"I took a chance," A.J. said. "I liked cars when I was your age, so I figured you probably did, too."

It helped that he remembered how much Michael had enjoyed playing with cars.

Emily moved over so Brian could sit next to his uncle.

"Thank you!"

"You’re very welcome," A.J. said, kissing the top of his nephew’s dark hair.

As they sat in the family room, A.J. began to realize he was doing the right thing. He knew Julianna should know her family. This meeting gave him hope.

*~*

Once Brian and Brianna had been tucked in for the night, the adults moved to the living room so they could talk. A.J. pulled the picture from his shirt pocket and held it in his hands.

"I have something to show you," he said to the loving couple. "After you see it, I’ll explain."

Curious, Emily took the photograph A.J. held out and scrutinized it closely.

"It’s Keesha," she finally said.

"Yes, it is."

"Is that her daughter?" Emily asked as she handed the photo to her husband for him to look at. "The one who was at the hospital? My goodness, she's beautiful."

"That is Julianna," A.J. said, with a catch in his voice. "She is Keesha’s daughter."

They looked at him anxiously as they waited for the rest of his explanation.

"Julianna is also my daughter."

"A.J.!" his sister exclaimed, reaching for the photo once more. "What?! Are you serious?"

"I’m very serious."

"She’s your daughter?" Zander asked, as if needing confirmation.

"Yes, she is. I just found out a few weeks ago."

"What?!" Emily cried. "No way. A.J., if you had a daughter with Keesha, she would’ve told you long before now. I know she would have."

"If things had been different, I agree. Keesha would have told me. She did try to contact me, but I didn’t exactly make it easy for her. Julianna is my daughter, Em. But I didn’t know about her until recently."

"Why did Keesha choose to tell you now?" Zander asked, still trying to wrap his mind around the fact that his brother-in-law had a child. A teen-ager at that.

"Keesha is very sick," A.J. said, his voice subdued. "She wanted me to know I had a daughter before her life ended."

"A.J.," Emily said, shocked, "what’s wrong with Keesha?"

"She needs a liver transplant. That’s why we’re here in Port Charles."

"Is she going to have one?" Zander asked.

"We hope so, but nothing’s come through. Yet."

"Poor Keesha," Emily said, looking at the picture once more. "Poor Julianna. Poor you!"

Emily looked at her brother. She now saw how worried and concerned he was.

"What have you been doing since you found out?" Zander asked.

"Supporting Keesha mostly. And trying to get to know my daughter."

"Julianna," Emily said. "How...how does she feel about you?"

"She hasn’t accepted me as her father," he sadly admitted. "But that doesn’t mean I’ve given up."

"Good for you," Emily said.

"She knows and appreciates that I’m trying to help her mother."

"That’s a start," Zander said.

A.J. nodded. "I agree. Just today, Julianna told me that she wants to meet my family."

"That’s wonderful!" Emily said. "You know we want to support all of you any way we can. It'll be great to see Keesha again and meet Julianna."

"Thanks, Em. I'm glad to hear you say that because I have a big favor to ask both of you."

"Ask," his younger sibling encouraged.

"I would like it very much if Julianna could meet you guys first. And since I don’t feel as though time is my friend, I’m hoping this meeting can take place soon."

Chapter 31 by pinkrose

Chapter 31

Dara woke up early Saturday morning and decided to cook breakfast before Julianna beat her to it. She loved Keesha's daughter and wanted her to have a break from feeling like she had to run the household. She had never known such a mature and responsible fifteen year old. She thought about herself at fifteen and had to chuckle at the vast difference. But she understood it was overwhelming love for her mother that drove Julianna. Dara had nothing but admiration for the young girl.

As Dara cinched her maroon velour robe around her waist, she looked at her husband, who was still in dreamland. If we are fortunate enough to adopt, she told him silently, I pray we do as good a job raising our child or children as Keesha has done raising Julianna. She placed a soft kiss on her husband's cheek and whispered "I love you" before heading downstairs to the kitchen.

A surprise awaited Dara when she entered. Keesha, dressed in jeans and a print top, stood at the counter, without her walker, stirring pancake batter. The smell of freshly brewed coffee enticed her.

"What is this?" Dara asked in amazement, standing next to her friend.

"Good morning," Keesha said.

Her chocolate eyes twinkled when she smiled.

"Okay, girlfriend, you need to spill. That same goofy smile was on your face last night when I came home from work and all through dinner. And now, you are absolutely glowing. What is going on around here?"

"Pour yourself a cup of coffee, and I'll tell you."

The two sat at the kitchen table. Keesha took a sip of tea and then laughed when Dara arched one dark eyebrow as she waited impatiently for the details.

"This is crazy," Keesha said. "I know it is."

But she couldn't stop smiling.

"I feel like a schoolgirl."

"Because?" her friend asked, waiting for more.

Keesha gripped her mug with both hands as she spoke.

"A.J. came to see Julianna and me yesterday, and then we were alone for a while. Dara, our visit was...magical. I didn't realize it until yesterday, at least not fully, but I still have deep feelings for him. I just...I want to be with him. I told you, it's crazy. But he's awakened something in me I thought I had buried a long time ago."

"But, Keesha, is it wise to let yourself feel this way?"

"I'm sure it isn't," she said, staring at the amber liquid in her cup. "But I can't help what I feel. Or more to the point, I don't want to *change* what I feel."

"What about A.J.?" Dara asked. "What about Julianna?"

"A.J. was the one who asked me if it was wrong to feel the way he did. I told him it wasn't because I felt the same way. He also asked about what Julianna would think. I said I hoped she would understand."

"I'm happy for you," Dara said. "Please don't misunderstand me, Keesha. I know you and A.J. were once in love. I know that because of Julianna. But I also know what you're dealing with. Won't things get too complicated? For you?"

"I don't believe so. No one knows better than I do what I'm facing," Keesha said, her voice subdued. "And that's why yesterday was so special to me, and that's also why I want to spend as much time as I am physically able to with A.J. And my daughter. I want to live the rest of my life, Dara. And I want to share as much of it as I can with A.J."

Dara squeezed her friend's hand. "I understand, girlfriend. Believe me, I do."

*~*

A.J. called later that morning and spoke to Keesha and Julianna.

"If you would like to meet Emily and Zander and their kids, we have an invitation for dinner. Tonight."

"So soon?" Keesha asked. "Are you sure you're ready for this?"

"Yes. I visited them last night. Emily was great. Zander was a little cool towards me, but I understand. We never were what you would call friends. Their children are adorable. I think we'll have a nice time. What do you think? How are you feeling?"

"I feel pretty good," Keesha said.

"I don't want to cause you any stress," A.J. insisted.

"You're not. If Julianna wants to go, I say we plan to have dinner with Emily and Zander and their children. Tonight."

*~*

After writing in her journal that afternoon, Julianna called Michael on his cell phone.

"Hey," he said, happy to hear her voice. "Where are you?"

"At home. How about you?"

"I'm at my dad's."

"You must be busy. Call me later."

"No, it's fine. I'm here by myself. My dad's working, but Lucas is supposed to come by. We talked about going to see a movie. You sound weird, Jule. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. I wanted you to know that I'm going to meet my aunt Emily and her family tonight. My mom, A.J. and I are going to their house for dinner."

"That is so awesome!" he said.

She could tell he was happy.

"You will like Emily. I guarantee it. Zander's pretty cool, too. And their kids are great. Bri is shy, but once she gets to know you, she'll follow you everywhere and ask you a million questions. About everything. Are you excited?"

"A little. Mostly, I'm nervous."

"Don't be nervous, Jule. Emily's the best. She'll love you. I know she will."

"I wish you were going to be there."

"You'll be fine," Michael encouraged. "I'm so happy for you that you get to meet Emily and her family. I'll be around, though, and I'll have my cell phone with me. If you need to talk, call me. Okay?"

"I will. Thanks, Michael. Thanks for being there for me."

"You're welcome. Call me when you get home, if you're not too tired. I want to hear all about it."

"I will. I'll probably be wired. Don't be surprised if you hear from me while we're still at Emily's."

"No problem. If you need to talk, Jule, for whatever reason, I want you to call me. Any time."

*~*

Looking very handsome wearing gray slacks, a white shirt, and a gray dinner jacket, A.J. arrived to pick up Keesha and Julianna. Keesha had opted to wear a mauve-colored dress while Julianna chose to wear a jean skirt with a white gauze top. She accessorized with gold hoop earrings and several gold bracelets. Both had curled their dark tresses.

"You both look lovely," A.J. complimented, his eyes shining brightly as he took in the appearances of Keesha and his daughter.

A.J. held Keesha's hands in his and kissed her lightly on the cheek.

The intimate gesture did not escape Julianna's questioning eyes.

"You look very nice, too," Keesha said.

The smile she had worn since A.J.'s previous visit grew wider. She couldn't help it. She enjoyed being around him.

"Are we leaving now?" Julianna asked.

"Whenever you're ready," A.J. said. "If Dara and Justus are here, I'd like to say 'hello'."

"They went out to dinner," Keesha explained. "They said to tell you 'hi'. I think we're ready."

"I am," Julianna said. "I just have to get the cake that I baked. I hope they all like chocolate."

"I know Emily does," A.J. said and laughed. "I'm sure the others do, too, especially the kids. Making dessert was so thoughtful of you, Julianna."

"Mama said she wanted to bring something to them, so I offered to bake."

A.J. carried the cake container to the car, and then he came back and assisted Keesha. Julianna followed. Once they had settled in, A.J. drove off. A little while later, they had arrived on Emily and Zander's doorstep.

Emily had been anticipating this dinner since the arrangements had been made the previous night, but when she opened the door to welcome them, she couldn't quite believe that A.J., Keesha, and Julianna were standing on her front porch, waiting to be escorted into her home.

It wasn't until they had been seated in the living room and the introductions had been made that Emily believed they were in her house.

"Keesha, it's been so long. I'm having trouble with the concept that you are actually here. Please forgive me for staring. It's just so good to see you again. You, too, Julianna. I honestly don't mean to stare, but my gosh, you are one beautiful young lady."

"Thank you," Julianna said demurely.

She liked Emily on sight, and she thought Zander was very nice, not to mention *very* good looking. She approved of her aunt's taste in men. As Michael had predicted, Brianna stayed close to her mother and didn't venture near them, except to give her uncle A.J. a hug when she first saw him. Brian, Mr. Curiosity, as Zander nicknamed him, walked right up to Keesha and let her give him a big hug. When Julianna offered her hand to him so he could walk her into the living room, he took it without question.

"We know why you're here in Port Charles," Zander said. "A.J. told us about it last night. We were so sorry to hear the news, Keesha."

"Thank you. Every time the phone rings, I wonder if it's going to be my doctor calling from the hospital to tell me they have a liver. Sometimes, I hate to admit it, I'm relieved when it isn't."

Sitting next to each other on the couch, A.J. reached for Keesha's hand and held it in his. Julianna didn't miss that move either.

"Julianna," Emily said, turning to look at the young girl who sat next to her mother, "I would love to get to know you better. I hope you will come to think of me as your aunt. You are welcome in our home any time. Please feel free to call me any time, too. Okay?"

"Okay," Julianna said, liking Emily more and more. "Michael said you guys would be great, and I have to say you are."

"You know Michael?" Emily asked.

Julianna nodded. She had thought A.J. might have mentioned it, but now she realized he hadn't.

"I didn't tell you about that last night," A.J. said. "Go ahead, Julianna. Tell them how you and Michael met."

"Please do," Zander said. "We're definitely intrigued."

After Julianna related the details of how she and Michael had come to be friends, she told them she knew the history between Michael and A.J.

"He talks about you all the time," Emily said to A.J.

"I can vouch for that," Zander said with a laugh. "I think he wants to live with you again, A.J."

"I would welcome him any time," A.J. assured them. "But I think he's doing fine with his family right here in Port Charles."

*~*

"You made this cake?" Brianna asked Julianna, when dessert was served in the dining room a little while later.

"Yes, I did."

"It's good!" Brian said, chocolate frosting and vanilla ice cream covering the outline of his mouth and most of his hands.

"It's not good, it's great!" Brianna said, trying to outdo her brother.

During dinner, Bri had warmed up to their guests. She decided Keesha was friendly while Julianna was her new favorite person. Especially because they shared part of the same name.

Julianna smiled at the adorable dark-haired children who sat across from her. "I'm glad you like it."

"We do!" they said in unison, which made A.J. and Keesha laugh.

Julianna looked at her parents, who had not left each other's sides all evening. Mama looks so happy, she thought, as she ate a piece of her cake. So does, A.J., for that matter. When she saw A.J. steal another kiss when he thought no one was watching and then whisper something in her mother's ear that made her smile, Julianna knew a shift had occurred in their relationship. But she found she couldn't be upset about it because they both looked so happy.

"C'mon, you two," Zander said to his twins, when dessert had been consumed, "let's get you washed up and ready for bed."

"Not yet!" they both protested.

"You don't have to go to bed," Emily said. "But let Daddy clean you and put your jammies on. Okay?"

"Okay," they both agreed, reluctantly.

Emily laughed and shook her head as Zander carted them off. She rose and began to clear the table.

"I'll clean up," Julianna offered, standing as well to help her aunt.

"You will do no such thing," Emily said. "You are our guest. I just want to stack the dishes. Zander and I will rinse them later. A.J., you can help. I no longer consider you a guest."

"Gee, thanks, Em," he said and then grinned.

He didn't mind. While Julianna helped her mother get settled in the living room, A.J. and Emily cleared the table. When they were alone in the kitchen, she turned to her brother and asked him the question he had been dreading.

"I think this was a success," she said.

"I agree."

"So, A.J. When are you going to do it? When are you going to let Mom and Dad know that you and Keesha are the parents of that beautiful and sweet-natured young lady? And when do they get to see you and Keesha again and meet your wonderful daughter?"

Chapter 32 by pinkrose

Chapter 32

When Michael's cell phone rang well past midnight, he knew it was Julianna. Sitting on his bed, he said a cheery "hello."

"Am I calling too late?" Julianna asked, realizing he knew it would be her.

"Nope. I told you to call me any time."

"But you do need to sleep," she pointed out.

"Sleep is highly overrated," he said and laughed.

"Michael, how can you be so cheerful this late at night?"

"I'm not usually," he admitted. "But I had a good feeling about your visit with Emily and her family. Did it go well?"

"Yeah, it did," she said.

"But?" he asked, sensing she wanted to say more.

"Things were going well, very well actually, and then Emily asked my father when he was going to arrange for me to meet my grandparents. The evening sorta went downhill from there."

"Why?"

"Because I don't think A.J. is ready yet, and I guess Emily pushed too hard. She's offering to run interference, but I don't think that's what he wants."

"Maybe after he thinks about it, he'll realize it probably won't be as bad as he's imagining."

"That's just it, Michael. What if it is that bad? What if...what if it's worse?"

"You guys don't have to stick around, right?"

"Yeah," she said sadly, "but I think by then it would be too late. The damage would have already been done. There's another thing, too."

"What?"

"Something very strange is going on with my mom and A.J."

"Strange, like what?"

"Strange like they can't keep their hands off each other."

She sounded repulsed; Michael gave a hearty laugh.

"What?" she asked, feeling indignant. "What's so funny, Michael?"

"You," he said, trying to contain himself. "Jule, your parents obviously like each other. They did years ago. Why wouldn't they now?"

"I don't know, but I wish I didn't have to see it."

"I think it's great," Michael said.

"How can you say that?"

Now she really was annoyed with her overly positive-sounding friend.

"Did your mother look happy?" he asked. "Did A.J.?"

"Yeah," she grumbled, hating to have to admit the truth. "They did."

"That's why I think it's great. You know, Jule, my mom was never happy. Not really. She seemed to come to life only when Jason was around. She married Sonny. I suppose she loved him, in her own way. And I guess he loved her, too, in his own way, but I don't have many memories of happy family times. I'm not saying I wanted a sit-com type atmosphere, but some calmness and routine would have been nice. We always seemed to be in crisis mode and survival mode. I hated it. I had to go off to Sonny's island more times than I can remember to feel 'safe.' What a joke. I never felt 'safe.' Never. And I was hardly with my family. I was with Leticia, my nanny, who I sometimes thought was my real mother. I hated feeling scared and alone, Jule, wondering what was going to happen. I hated having to worry who was after Sonny and would they get him? Would they get my mom? Would they get Jason or his wife Courtney? Would they get me? One place I never want to see again is Puerto Rico. I hate even saying the name. Is it so wrong that your parents are finding themselves attracted to each other again? At least, Jule, your father and your mother seem to want to be together. I'm not trying to preach or lecture, but I think you should be thankful they found each other again. And that they're getting along so well. Can't you be happy for them? At least a little?"

*~*

After a sleepless night, A.J. called Skye to see if they could meet.

"Sure. Tom and I were thinking of going to the Grille for brunch. Join us?"

"If you and Tom wouldn't mind."

"Of course not. We probably should discuss some things about the office anyway."

"Okay. See you in a bit."

*~*

Dara and Justus lingered in bed on a lazy Sunday morning with the sun streaming into their room through the curtains.

"Do you think we're doing the right thing by trying to adopt?" Justus asked as he drew his wife closer to his side and began to caress her bare shoulder.

"Definitely. Why? Don't you?"

"I go back and forth," he admitted. "I want children, Dara, I do. But I'm just wondering if we should try to adopt a baby or a young child. Should we adopt a boy or a girl? Will we make good parents? Will the child be happy and feel loved in our home? Are we really ready for this?"

"That's way too many serious questions for a Sunday morning before I've had my coffee," Dara said.

She stroked his chest and tried to kiss away his worries, but he had one more he needed to voice.

"There's also the situation with Keesha," he said quietly.

Dara nestled closer and encouraged him to continue. She saw his brow furrowed in consternation and knew he had to get his concern out in the open.

"Tell me," she said, entwining her slender fingers with his much larger ones.

"Should Keesha not get a new liver and that causes her to die," he said, choking back his emotion, "Julianna becomes a part of our lives. I want nothing more than to see that she is with us, but it would change our dynamics, don't you think?"

"You're right, it would, although should something happen to Keesha, and I pray every night for her to get a new liver so she can live a long, healthy life, maybe it would be good for Julianna to have a younger child or children around her. Maybe it would help to ease the grieving process."

"You could be right. I admit I haven't thought about it in those terms. I've just been focusing on the huge void that is going to be in all of our lives should a liver not be found for Keesha. I can't imagine her not being around."

"I try not to let myself think about it," Dara admitted, "because it only makes me weepy, but you're right, baby. It is something we need to consider very carefully. Although with what I've seen lately, I think there's something else we need to start thinking about."

"What?" Justus asked, brushing the hair away from his wife's lovely face.

"The way A.J. and Keesha have been getting along the past few days, I think there's a very real possibility that Keesha would want A.J. to have the option of gaining full custody of Julianna should she succumb to her illness."

Justus had to admit that thought had never occurred to him. And now that it had, he knew he had to have a long, serious talk with his cousin.

*~*

"I heard great things about you two from Emily," A.J. said to Skye and Tom as they sat in a corner booth at the Port Charles Grille.

"A.J.! You saw Emily. How wonderful."

"Actually, the three of us, Keesha, Julianna and I had dinner at their house last night."

"Wow," Skye said and chuckled. "I wasn't expecting to hear that. How did it go?"

"It went well until..."

"Until what?" Tom asked, his sapphire eyes quizzing A.J.

A.J. cleared his throat. "Until Emily asked me when I was going to contact my parents."

Skye and Tom shared a knowing glance. Skye placed her hand on top of A.J.'s.

"You don't have to until you believe you can handle it."

A.J. frowned. "That means I'd never contact them, so I can't wait that long."

Skye glanced at her husband who encouraged her to state her offer to A.J.

"Would you like me to talk to them?" she asked. "You know I would, A.J. For you."

He smiled in humble appreciation. "Thanks. I really appreciate the offer, but I can't accept it."

"Why not?" Tom asked.

"Because my parents would accuse me of using Skye. I can hear the conversation now. I have to face them. On my own. Or what I'm trying to accomplish will mean absolutely nothing."

"But that doesn't mean you can't have help," Skye insisted.

"Yes, it does. Skye, you lived with them. You know how my family is. Maybe they have changed, but I can't take that chance. I know what I have to do. I'm just not ready to do it."

"What about Keesha and Julianna? They can help you, right?"

"Yes, and they want to, or at least Keesha does."

"You know, A.J.," Tom offered, "I think the more you stew about this, the more daunting it's going to become. I know, from Skye, how bad things were between you and your family when you left, but it has been eleven years. Surely some of that animosity has passed. Won't they be thrilled to know they have a granddaughter?"

A.J. looked at Skye. "What do you think? Remember how warm and fuzzy your welcome was when my father thought you were his daughter?"

Skye shuddered. Tom wrapped his arm protectively around his wife's shoulders. "Please, don't remind me," she said. "But A.J., you *are* their child. And Julianna *is* your daughter. There's no disputing those two facts."

A.J. stared at his water glass and gripped it so tightly he thought it would shatter. "I need to say this. I need to get this out of me before I explode. I haven't said this to anyone. I've barely given myself a chance to think about it. I keep trying and trying to push the thought from my mind, but it won't go away."

"What, A.J.?" Skye asked, forcing him to look at her. "What is it that has you so scared?"

He swallowed hard and then nodded. He knew he could tell them. He had to tell someone. His voice was quiet when he spoke. "When I finally do contact my parents and Julianna meets them, I keep thinking that my mom, and especially my dad, are going to be wishing that it were Jason who had come back and that they were being introduced to his daughter or son."

"Oh, A.J.," Skye said, tears filling her eyes at the thought of how one of her dearest friends had been torturing himself.

"I don't know what I would do if Julianna were to suffer at the hands of *my* family all because she has the misfortune of being my child and not Jason's."

Chapter 33 by pinkrose

Chapter 33

After Ellen had examined Keesha at her next appointment, she met with her and Julianna in her office.

"I noted an improvement in your condition from your last visit," Ellen said when they had all been seated. "The medicine I prescribed is helping. I hope you've noticed a difference, too."

"I have. I feel better now than I have in a long time."

"Good. That means you're getting stronger and will be able to withstand surgery. We need to keep you that way."

"Have you heard anything?" Keesha asked, her tone hesitant.

Ellen shook her head. "No, I haven't. But we could be sitting here talking, and the phone will ring with news about a liver becoming available. That's how quickly it happens."

Keesha and Julianna nodded.

"How are you holding up?" Ellen asked Julianna.

"I'm okay," she answered.

Ellen sat back in her black leather chair and steepled her fingers. "I've been thinking about something since your last visit," she finally said. "I know how difficult waiting can be. It's very stressful. So I would like to make a suggestion, and I hope you won't dismiss it lightly. If either of you ever needs to talk to someone, I can refer you."

"You mean like counseling?" Keesha asked.

"Yes. Sometimes it helps to talk to someone who is impartial. I'm thinking particularly of Julianna, who may benefit from knowing she has a professional she can confide in."

"I don't need to talk to anyone," Julianna stated, her voice firm.

Keesha gently squeezed her daughter's hand. "It's just a thought, sweetheart. I think I know what Dr. Burgess-Harmon means."

"I just wanted to give you another option," Ellen said.

Her dimpled smile softened her next words.

"You and your mom probably do a lot of talking, right? But, most likely, you don't want to say anything that will upset her. Keesha, I'm thinking you may feel the same way towards your daughter and maybe other relatives, too. A professional counselor's job is to listen to people talk about their desires, their fears, their struggles, their hopes. I just thought maybe it would be a relief if you knew you could talk to someone like that."

"I don't want to," Julianna said, adamantly shaking her head.

"We appreciate the suggestion," Keesha said, "but, for now, I think we're fine."

"Okay," Ellen said, not wanting to push. "Do you have any other questions?"

Keesha couldn't think of anything.

"Then I will see you at the same time in one week."

When Keesha and Julianna stood, Ellen spoke.

"If you aren't too tired, Nikolas Cassadine asked if you wouldn't mind stopping by to see him."

"I'd like that," Keesha said.

"Great. His is the corner office, down the corridor from mine. I'm glad you feel up to visiting him. He's been looking forward to seeing you."

*~*

Nikolas embraced Keesha the moment she stepped into his office.

"It's so good to see you," he said when they had pulled away. "I'm so sorry, though, for the reason you are here."

"Thanks. It's good to see you again, too."

"Is this lovely young lady your daughter?" Nikolas asked.

He and Julianna smiled at each other as Keesha introduced them.

One thing Julianna had to admit was that Port Charles had many fine looking men.

Nikolas seated both of them and then sat behind his desk.

"I wanted to say 'hello' and welcome back to Port Charles. I also wanted to make sure you're comfortable with Ellen. If you have any questions or concerns, please tell me."

"Everything is fine," Keesha assured him. "I like Ellen very much. Her care and manner have been terrific."

"Good. I'm always glad to hear that."

"How about you? Do you like being the administrator of GH?"

"It's hectic, but yes, I do enjoy it."

"Good for you. How are Stefan and Alexis?"

"They're fine. Stefan is in Greece right now with Alexis and Ned's daughter Kristina. I just talked to Alexis earlier. Everyone is doing well."

Keesha nodded. "A.J. told me that you're married and have two children. I think that's wonderful."

Nikolas couldn't keep the smile from his face as he handed Keesha the framed picture he had showed to A.J.

"My wife's name is Gia. My son's name is Nikolas, Jr., and my daughter's is Sonya."

"What a handsome family," Keesha gushed.

She handed the picture to her daughter.

"Thanks. It was great to see A.J. last week. It's hard for me to believe he's here."

Keesha gave a small laugh. "I think he doesn't quite believe either, but he's doing well."

"I would love for both of you to meet my family. A.J. knows Gia, but he hasn't seen my children. Whenever you feel up to it, I'd like to invite you and Julianna and A.J. to our house for dinner."

"Nikolas, that would be lovely. Thank you. I'll talk to A.J. about it. I would like to meet your wife and children."

"Excellent. I hope you'll come for dinner soon."

*~*

Hoping to be able to talk to his cousin, Justus didn't return to work once he had picked up Keesha and Julianna from the hospital. But as soon as they arrived home, Keesha announced she wanted to take a nap. Justus knew their talk would have to wait.

"Mama, since Justus is here, is it okay if I go out for a little while?"

"Sure. Are you meeting Michael?" Keesha asked and smiled.

Julianna blushed. "Yeah. He asked if I could meet him at the park."

"That sounds fine. Enjoy."

*~*

"You're very quiet," Michael commented to Julianna, after they had walked around the park.

"I'm sorry. I have a lot on my mind."

"Didn't your mom's appointment go well?" he asked, concerned.

"It was okay, but Dr. Burgess-Harmon said something that really bothered me."

"What?"

"She offered professional counseling for my mom and me, but she said she was thinking especially for me. Why, Michael? Why would she suggest counseling?"

Michael shrugged. "I don't know, Jule. Maybe you seemed stressed to her? Maybe she just thought she should mention it."

"I think there was a very definite purpose to her mentioning it."

"Why do you think she brought it up?"

They were standing close together under a birch tree, which provided them much-needed shade.

"I think she recommended it because she knows my mother isn't going to make it."

"No, Jule," Michael said, instinctively reaching out to massage her bare arms with the palms of his hands, "I don't think that's the reason. Not at all."

"Then why else would she mention it?!" Julianna demanded. "She wants me to get used to the idea of 'talking to a professional' because just like they did with you, Michael, they're going to force me to go to grief counseling if my mother dies. But I won't go! I won't!"

Michael saw the tears welling in Julianna's beautiful eyes, and his heart grew heavy. Without either of them realizing what they were doing, Michael pulled her into his arms and held her close as she quietly sobbed against his chest.

"Shhh," he whispered as he stroked her hair. "It's okay, Jule. No one is going to make you go to counseling if you don't want to."

"They made you," she said. "And you said you hated it. I'll hate it, too. I know I will!"

She gulped as she tried to swallow her tears.

"My family forced me to go because they didn't know how to handle my anger. I didn't know how to handle my anger. I was on a very destructive path, Jule. You're not. I doubt anyone in your family would make you do something you didn't want to do."

"But you didn't know you were angry until you lost your mom and Sonny, right?" she asked, looking up at his compassionate face.

"That's true, but there had been signs. My grandmother knew."

"I can't think about my life without my mother in it," Julianna said, continuing to let Michael comfort her. "So how will I know how I'll react?"

"Can you see yourself throwing objects against the walls and breaking glass at every turn?"

Julianna shook her head. "No. I think I'll just be extremely sad and cry all the time."

"That's the difference," Michael said. "I had no sadness in me, Jule, and I couldn't or wouldn't cry. I just wanted to lash out at everyone around me, and I wanted to throw things. I wanted to hurt people. I wanted to hurt myself. That's why I was forced to seek professional help."

He pulled back and gazed into her wet, glistening eyes.

"I can't imagine you ever doing anything so destructive, to yourself or to anyone else."

"I can't picture you like that either, but if you say it happened, I have to believe you."

"Being on drugs didn't help. You don't have that worry either. You're going to be fine. I hope your mom does not die, Jule, but if she should, you will have a wonderful support system. I hope I'm included on that list."

"You," she said, losing some of her inhibition and stroking his auburn hair, "are right at the top of the list. How did I get so lucky to find a friend like you?"

Michael continued to gaze into her eyes. "I was just thinking the same thing."

Their hands stilled as they stared at each other. Making sure it was okay with Julianna, Michael brought his mouth closer to hers. When he saw a flicker of hesitation in her eyes, he drew back.

"Is it okay, Jule?" he asked, his voice barely audible. "Is it okay if I kiss you?"

"I've never been kissed," she admitted, her heart pounding against her ribs from excitement and a little bit of fear.

She wanted Michael to kiss her, but she didn't know what to expect if he did.

He grinned. "Then we'll call this a practice one. If I'm a lousy kisser, it won't count, and you can tell the next guy who wants to kiss you that you've never been kissed."

Despite her agitation, she had to smile. "You never fail to make me feel better. How do you do it?"

He shrugged and laughed. "What can I say? It's a gift."

She stood on her toes and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I would like it very much if you would kiss me. For real."

"Are you sure?" he asked.

Anticipation consumed Julianna at the thought of experiencing her first kiss. The fact that Michael would be the one only made it that much more special.

"Yes," she said, leaning in closer. "I want you to kiss me."

Michael cradled her face in his hands and slowly brought his lips to mesh with hers. She tasted sweet, like very ripe strawberries. He had experience, but never had a first kiss meant more to him. He drew her closer as she ran her fingers through his hair. He felt her stiffen in his arms when he parted her lips, and then he felt her relax when she realized he wouldn't do anything she didn't want.

Julianna knew Michael wouldn't push her, and he didn't. She felt safe in his arms and the feel of his warm, moist lips on hers made her body tingle. The reality of their first kiss was far better than anything she could have imagined. She didn't want it to end.

"Are you okay?" Michael asked, still framing her face with the palms of his hands when the kiss ended.

"I'm fine," Julianna said, still reeling from his nearness and the erratic beating of her heart.

She reached for his hand and pulled him with her to the ground. She sat with her back leaning against him. He draped one arm over her shoulder and clasped her fingers in his. As she sighed contentedly, he kissed the top of her hair.

"I really like you, Julianna," he said, hugging her closer.

"I really like you, too, Michael. This isn't too weird, right?"

"I don't think so."

She turned in his arms so she could look at him. "Your life has been a lot different than mine. But that's okay, isn't it?"

"I think so. I still have times, Jule, when I'm angry. But the episodes are few and farther between. I would never want to scare you."

"As long as you tell me what's going on, I don't think you'll scare me."

Their heads had been moving closer to each other until they were mere inches apart.

"I want to kiss you again," Michael said.

As soon as the words had been spoken, Julianna gladly obliged.

*~*

When Justus peeked in on Keesha a few hours later, he saw that she was awake.

"May I come in?" he asked from the doorway.

She nodded.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay. The nap helped."

"Good."

He pulled the chair from the vanity table and straddled it next to her bed.

"I need to talk to you about something serious. Is now a good time?"

"Sure."

"Unless my guess is wrong, you and A.J. have been getting along lately."

Keesha smiled and lowered her eyes. "You're not wrong."

"He's been treating you well?"

"Very well. I'm enjoying spending time with him."

Justus nodded. "What about Julianna? Have her feelings changed?"

"I think they're in the process of changing," Keesha said. "She doesn't hate him, but she hasn't accepted him as her father. Yet."

"But you seem to think she will."

"I do. I don't know when or how it will happen, but I'm confident it will. She likes A.J. She's just not ready to acknowledge him as her father."

"If that should happen," Justus said, "what will you do?"

"What do you mean?"

Justus rubbed his forehead with his hand. "I *really* hate talking about this, but it's something I don't want to leave unresolved. If something should happen to you, Lil Bit, do you still want the stipulations in your Will to take place regarding custody of Julianna? Or will you be making a change if Julianna tells you she's accepted A.J. as her father?"

"I have to be honest, Justus. My fondest wish is that Julianna will accept A.J. as her father. I'm believing in my heart it will happen, but when it might, I have no idea. A.J. understands and respects the decisions I have made, especially regarding our daughter. He's not pushing for more than either of us is willing to give him. For now, I want my Will left the way it is. If something were to happen to me tonight or tomorrow, I know Julianna would want to be with you and Dara. And I know, as things stand right now, living with you and Dara is what would be best for her. But you have to promise me something, Justus."

"Anything," he said, moving closer to his cousin.

"If something should happen to me, please don't make things difficult for A.J. Please."

"I won't. If you say he understands and accepts the terms of your Will, then I believe you."

"But you can't keep him away from Julianna either. If she doesn't want to see him, that's one thing. But I want him to have as much access to her as he wants and needs. Promise me that you will accommodate him. Promise me that you won't purposely keep A.J. from seeing his daughter."

"I won't, Keesha," he said, his tone serious. "I promise you I won't."

*~*

Later that evening, A.J. dropped by unexpectedly. Keesha was happy to see him.

"How was your appointment?" he asked, after taking a seat on the edge of her mattress.

He'd had a mixed reaction when he asked about Julianna, and Keesha told him their daughter was having dinner with Michael at "Kelly's."

"It went well, although I think Ellen upset Julianna. I haven't had a chance to talk to her about it."

"Why? What did Ellen say?"

"She suggested we may want to go to counseling. Especially Julianna. Our daughter was not happy about that idea."

A.J. frowned. "Do you know why Ellen suggested it?"

"Mostly because of the stress we've been under."

"Do you think it would be a good idea for you or Julianna to seek professional help?"

"No," Keesha said, reaching out to hold A.J.'s hand. "I don't want counseling, and I know Julianna doesn't either. We're fine, A.J., and we will continue to be okay."

He nodded, accepting her wishes. "Did you see anybody you knew at the hospital?"

Keesha smiled. "Yes, but it was on purpose."

"Who did you talk to?"

"Nikolas. He looks wonderful. He invited Julianna, you and me to have dinner with him and his family. I'd like to go."

"I would, too. Let me know when you think you'll be up to it, and I'll call him."

"Maybe this weekend. How about Saturday night?"

"If you're sure."

"I think I'll be okay. I'll just make sure I rest a lot that day. Mention Saturday to him and see if that would work."

"I'll call him tomorrow." After a slight pause, A.J. spoke. "Keesha, there's something else I need to talk to you about."

By the tone of his voice and the tightening of his hold on her hand, she knew the topic would be a serious one.

"What is it?" she asked, brushing the hair away from his forehead.

"I've made a decision about contacting my parents. Keesha, I need to do it as soon as possible."

Chapter 34 by pinkrose

Chapter 34

"Emily! What a nice surprise."

Monica kissed her daughter's cheek and then offered her a seat. Emily had decided to visit her mom in her office at the hospital.

"It's good to see you," she continued. "How are Zander and the twins?"

"Everyone's fine. How about you and Dad?"

"We're doing well. Your father is getting restless, though. We'll probably take a vacation soon."

Emily smiled her approval. "Good for you guys."

"So what's new with you? Are you still enjoying your job?"

Emily's brown eyes lit up. "I love it," she gushed. "I recently had my mid-year evaluation with Skye and Tom, and they said if I was interested, they would recommend me to go through their program to become a counselor. I told them I'd have to think about it and discuss it with Zander, but if it's at all possible, I've pretty much decided I'd like to do it. It's so rewarding to work with the teen-agers at the Center. Being a counselor would give me a chance to work with them one-on-one or in small groups."

"Sounds very worthwhile. Your father and I are proud of you. I hope you know that. Paige would be proud of you, too."

Emily's expression turned somber. "I do know that. Mom, do you and Dad realize there's another sibling you should be *very* proud of?"

Monica clasped her hands together on her desk blotter and sat up straighter in her high-back chair.

"You're talking about A.J."

"Yes," the brunette said. "That's exactly who I'm talking about."

Monica nodded. "I want to be proud of him, Em, but he hasn't given us a chance to *be* proud of him. He lit into all of us that fateful night, over Courtney and Jason, no less, and then he stormed out of the house and out of our lives. Do you know how many nights I worried myself sick and cried myself to sleep wondering if he were dead or alive? He never called, Em. He left, and it was as though we never existed."

"He left because Dad threw him out of the house. What was he supposed to do?" Emily insisted. "And besides, not long after, you knew he was all right."

"Sure. Because he finally got in touch with you and Skye. I'm his mother, Em, and I stood up for him many, many times. I tried to reason with everyone that night. I pleaded with A.J. to get help, but I didn't tell him to leave. I didn't automatically take my husband's side when he told our son to leave. But your brother was drinking again. It got to be too much. After he cooled off, he should have had the decency to at least call *me*."

Emily couldn't argue with her mother's reasoning because she knew how devastated she would be if her children were to ever disappear from her life without a trace. But she also prayed she would never treat her children the way the Quartermaines had treated A.J.

"Is A.J. out of chances as far as you're concerned?"

"I didn't say that," Monica defended. "But A.J. certainly doesn't seem interested in a possible reconciliation. His silence all these years is proof positive of that."

"I wouldn't be so sure."

Monica narrowed her gaze. "What does that mean?"

Emily steeled herself for her mother's reaction.

"A.J.'s back in Port Charles. And he wants to see you and Dad."

*~*

"A.J.," Keesha admonished, "stand still. You are a nervous wreck!"

In her bedroom, Keesha tried to help him with his tie. He had arrived a few minutes earlier to take her and Julianna to the Quartermaine mansion for what he hoped would be a clearing of the air and a fresh start for everyone.

"Tell me something I don't know!" he snapped, and then immediately apologized.

She pushed his hands away so she could straighten his dark blue tie and shirt collar.

"A.J., you can't let your parents do this to you. You've come too far to backtrack. Answer me honestly. Are you craving alcohol?"

"No," he said, clasping her hands in his after she'd finished with his shirt and tie. "I promise you I don't want a drink. I don't. I did go to three AA meetings today, I'm constantly reciting the Serenity Prayer in my mind, and I've got my sponsor's phone number ready on my cell phone, but I don't want a drink, Keesha. I just want this to be over."

"I know you do," she said in a sympathetic voice.

A soft knock on the door interrupted their conversation.

"Do I look presentable?" Julianna asked, stepping into the room.

"You look beautiful," A.J. said, his fatherly pride showing.

Julianna had chosen to wear a pastel print skirt with a magenta short-sleeve top. She wore a gold necklace and one gold bracelet. Her mahogany curls cascaded about her shoulders.

"Your father's right," Keesha said. "You look lovely, sweetheart."

"Are you okay, A.J.?" Julianna asked. "You look a little pale."

"I'll be fine," he said and offered her a warm smile.

"I'm ready whenever you are," she said, and then left them alone.

A.J. wiped his sweaty palms on a towel in Keesha's bathroom and cursed himself for letting this meeting get to him. He kept telling himself everything would be okay. When he returned to the bedroom, Keesha had finished putting on her make-up.

"You look lovely, too," he told her, coming to stand behind her at the vanity table.

He placed his, for the moment, dry hands on her shoulders and gently squeezed them.

Keesha, dressed in a white linen pantsuit, smiled at him in the mirror.

"Have I told you how very thankful I am that you and Julianna are going to be with me?"

"Yes," she said, turning to look at him. "But I wouldn't mind hearing it again."

"Keesha."

He said her name almost as a reverent sigh. She rose from the chair and stepped into his waiting arms.

"I wouldn't even be doing this if it weren't for you. And Julianna. I have absolutely no idea what to expect from my parents, but knowing you and our daughter are going to be with me, I know I can do this. And I know I can be successful."

"I know you can, too," she said. "But how about some reassurance?"

"I won't turn it down," he said.

She embraced him and told him she had every confidence in him.

"Just keep your cool," she advised. "Don't let them rattle you."

"I'll try to remember that," he said and smiled.

"Remember this, too," she said.

Keesha pulled A.J. closer and initiated a searing, passionate kiss that left them both dazed when it was over.

"I'll definitely remember that," he said, his voice husky with a growing desire he knew he would, unfortunately, have to find a way to quell. Eventually.

Because with a fire having been ignited by Keesha's kiss, A.J. couldn't resist the temptation to draw her into his arms and kiss her again, slowly, teasingly and oh so thoroughly, and then wait with a smile on his face as she gathered herself and reapplied her plum-colored lipstick.

"It's now or never," he said when he knew there was no further reason to delay the inevitable.

*~*

Julianna couldn't help but be impressed when A.J. drove onto the sprawling grounds of the estate and navigated the car along the stretch of winding pavement that led to the main driveway. A.J. couldn't help but notice that his late grandmother's rose bushes were still kept neat and tidy. Keesha had trouble believing they were actually minutes away from entering the Quartermaine mansion.

A.J. parked the car and killed the engine. He used a towel he had brought to wipe his hands and his face. Keesha reached over to give his thigh a loving squeeze. Julianna waited anxiously to exit the vehicle.

AJ. looked out the car window to inspect the rambling house he had once called home. Not that many happy memories came flooding back, even though the mansion hadn't changed much in eleven years. He sensed Keesha's watchful eyes on him and turned his attention to her and to Julianna, who was sitting in the back seat. He pasted on a brave smile.

"Are we ready?" he asked.

"Are *you* ready?" Keesha asked, sincerely wanting to know.

A.J. nodded. "I am. I'm ready to get this over with."

*~*

Reginald was very businesslike towards A.J. when he opened the door and ushered the Quartermaines' guests into the marble-floored foyer, but his expression softened when he saw Keesha and especially Julianna. A.J. thought there might have even been a hint of a smile on his face.

He escorted them into the living room and told them to make themselves comfortable.

"Comfortable?" A.J. said and gave a bitter laugh. "Yeah, right."

"A.J.," Keesha quietly chided.

"I'm okay," he whispered.

He held out his hand to show her he wasn't shaking. But when his eyes spotted the crystal decanters displaying several kinds of liquor, he quickly looked away and began to silently recite the Serenity Prayer once more.

Keesha noticed that Julianna had crossed the room to look at the family photographs proudly displayed on a round, lace-covered table near the fireplace.

"I met her the other day at 'Kelly's,'" Julianna told her mother.

"Oh my, is that Brooke Lynn?" Keesha asked. "Wow, she's so grown up. She's your cousin, Julianna."

"That's what Michael told me. She was with someone named Lesley Lu."

"I'd love to see her, too," Keesha said. "I forgot to ask Nikolas about her. She's his younger sister."

"They both seemed very nice."

Keesha's ever-perceptive eyes fell to the 8x10 silver framed photograph of Jason and, she assumed, Courtney. She tried to picture the woman with A.J., but somehow, she couldn't. When A.J. approached the table a few moments later, Julianna wore a frown.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

She looked at her father with sadness. "I...I don't see your picture, A.J."

He laughed sardonically. "Why am I not surprised?"

Julianna thought it was very unfair; A.J. told her he was okay with it.

A moment later, the trio heard a click and turned as a group to face the double oak doors. They held their collective breaths as the doors opened wider and Monica and Alan, looking older but still attractive, stepped into the room. The tension grew. They all stared at each other, but no one spoke until Keesha covertly nudged A.J., who finally took a step forward. After clearing his throat, he attempted to speak.

"Mom. Dad. I know it's been a long time."

"Too long," Monica said, wondering if she was doing the right thing by restraining herself from running to her only son and embracing him with all her might.

She felt she needed to give him more time even as she longed to tell him how wonderful she thought he looked.

A.J. did not let his father’s stony expression deter him.

"I know there are many things you probably want to discuss, but first, I need to tell you the main reason I'm here. The *only* reason I'm back in Port Charles for that matter."

A.J. motioned for Keesha and Julianna to stand on either side of him. He placed his arms around their backs.

"Mom, Dad," he said, trying unsuccessfully to keep his voice steady, "I want...I want you to meet Keesha's and my daughter, Julianna Mae Ward."

"Your...daughter?" Alan inquired, his tone skeptical.

Tears of joy gathered in Monica's eyes.

"Yes," Julianna spoke up. "I am A.J.'s daughter."

"A.J., this is wonderful!" Monica exclaimed. "Julianna, hello! I'm so happy to meet you."

But Alan had a different take.

"If Julianna is your daughter, how come her last name isn't Quartermaine?"

"I can explain that," A.J. said. "It's true that Julianna is my daughter, but I didn't find out until recently."

Alan snickered. "See, A.J. Keesha knew better, too, than to let you be a part of your child's life."

"Alan!" Monica scolded.

"Whoa, wait a minute," Keesha said. "Yes, it's true that A.J. didn't know about Julianna until recently, but there were many factors involved in my decision. I know A.J. has gotten his act together. I want him to be a part of Julianna's life."

"I'm the reason my mother didn't tell A.J. sooner," Julianna said, her voice soft and subdued.

"You call him A.J.?" Alan questioned. "You don't refer to him as your father? Oh, this is priceless."

"We're in the process of getting to know one another," A.J. said. "I'm okay with Julianna not readily accepting me as her father."

"Because you didn't have anything to do with her upbringing anyway," Alan said dismissively.

"But now that A.J. knows he has a daughter," Keesha said, quickly growing exasperated, "he's willing to do whatever he can to be a good father to Julianna."

"Are the three of you together?" Monica asked.

"Not in the strictest sense," A.J. replied. "Keesha and Julianna are staying with Dara and Justus. I'm at the Port Charles Hotel. But we've been spending a lot of time together."

"And still your daughter refuses to acknowledge you as her father," Alan said, shaking his head in disgust. "Can't you do anything right, A.J.?"

"I'm trying," A.J. said, his patience growing thin. "Julianna has a lot going on right now. It's okay that I'm not her first priority."

"Alan," Monica chided her husband, "have you listened to one thing your son has said? He's okay with this situation. He's accepting it the way he should be. Why can't you give him the benefit of the doubt? Just this one time?"

"Benefit of the doubt about what?" Alan asked. "I think Keesha's actions, and Julianna's, speak volumes. Just because A.J. is no longer drinking doesn't mean he automatically gets to be Julianna's father. I applaud Keesha's decision. I'm sure she made the right one."

A.J. gave up. He thought he had a real chance to make a connection with his parents, but he realized his father held a grudge against him a mile long.

"It's comforting for me to know you're getting so much pleasure out of the fact I was kept from my daughter for almost sixteen years," he said, his voice filled with sarcasm. "Maybe it will also please you to know that I came here because Julianna wanted to meet you. That's right. She wanted to meet *my* family. Well, Julianna, you've met them. What do you think?"

"A.J., that's not fair," Monica protested. "I want Julianna to give us a chance. I want to get to know her."

"I have a question for you," Julianna said, speaking more to Monica than to Alan.

"Of course," Monica said. "Ask me anything."

"Why don't you have a picture of my father on your family photograph table?"

"Julianna," Keesha cautioned, afraid her daughter was about to cross a line.

"I'll answer that," Alan said. "The reason is simple, Julianna. For the past eleven years, we haven't had a son."

"I left because you ordered me to!" A.J. yelled.

Any restraint he thought he had was gone.

"You told me I was no longer welcome in your home. You told me to get help and to get a life. That’s exactly what I did."

"I told you to leave because you were causing nothing but trouble for this family," Alan said. "You couldn't even be civil to your brother and his wife."

"You mean the wife he stole from me! Jason never cared about this family, but the minute he could flaunt his relationship with my ex-wife in my face, he chooses to start coming around? And nobody questions him?! Yes, I had too much to drink that night and I should have left, but not one of you ever saw the irony of the situation. When I was married to Courtney, you didn't want to be around her, but suddenly, she's Jason's wife, so that makes her special? Someone to be loved and respected? You know what? I'm not doing this. I'm not getting into all of this with you again. I have my own life now, and I am very happy. I have Keesha in my life again, and now I have a beautiful, sweet daughter who does not need to witness anymore of this. I tried. Dammit, don't ever tell me I didn't try. But this is not worth it. Mom, I'm sorry, but it's eleven years later. I'm older. I have my own things that I'm dealing with, and I will not go through this again. I won't. And I will not *let* you put Keesha and Julianna through any of this. Come on," he said, turning to look at Keesha and Julianna with determination in his eyes. "We're out of here."

"Not yet," Julianna said.

A.J. looked at her in surprise when she reached out to hold his hand.

"I need to say something," she said, tears gathering in her eyes. "I am the one who asked to meet you, and my father arranged this, even though he must have known this meeting wouldn't be a pleasant one. I'm guilty of not wanting my father in my life, but it was because I was scared. I was frightened of the man I thought he was. I was scared for my mother. I didn't want her to get hurt again. But ever since A.J. has come into our lives, he's brought us happiness. Mama has never smiled as much as she has these past few weeks. I've gotten to know my father, and I think he's wonderful. He makes me laugh, and he laughs at himself."

She turned her attention to her grandfather.

"You seem to want something from your son, but I don't think you're doing a very good job explaining what it is you think he owes you. He came here, wanting to see you, and talk to you, but that's not what you want. You just want him to feel guilty, all over again, for something that happened so many years ago."

She looked at both of her grandparents.

"When my father arrived at our house in Philadelphia, after my mother had written to him, he didn't make my mother pay for keeping me away from him for all these years. He didn't stress my mom out with questions and accusations about why he didn't know about me sooner. He came, ready to help us, and wanting to know me. On our terms, not his. My father has the biggest heart. He told me he loved me, unconditionally, because I was his daughter. He made no demands on me or on my mother. He just wanted to be in our lives. He told me he would never cut me out of his life or not be there for me. I took those words for granted because I wasn't ready to hear them, but now, after witnessing this scene, my father's words are precious to me. All he's ever asked of me is that I give him a chance."

She turned tear-filled hazel eyes towards her father.

"I'm ready to give you that chance, Daddy. I love you so much. I didn't realize how much I loved you until I saw how a father can so cruelly treat a child he can't or won't love. You told me that about your father, but I didn't truly believe it. Now, I do. I love you," she said, throwing her arms around a very shocked but ecstatic A.J. and giving him a giant hug. "And I thank you for loving me the way that you do."

Keesha let the tears fall freely from her eyes as she watched father and daughter come together for the very first time as parent and child. Her heart was ready to burst. She had never been prouder of her daughter, or of A.J., for that matter. It had taken Julianna a long time, but she had finally accepted her father into her heart and into her life. Keesha had never been happier.

Alan and Monica looked on in stunned silence.

"Thank you," A.J. said when father and daughter had gotten their emotions under control. "All I ever wanted was for you to accept me as your father."

Julianna nodded. "I know. And I do, Dad. I do accept you as my father. I love you."

Feeling as though he were walking on air, A.J. looked at his parents. He had no anger or regret in his heart, only sadness. "This didn't go as I had hoped it might, but I'll be in Port Charles for a while. Call me at the Port Charles Hotel if you want to talk. I'm not leaving this time because I've been thrown out. I'm leaving because my daughter has made me the happiest man alive, and I want to celebrate with *my* family. And the irony of this is: I have you to thank for helping make this happen for me. Thanks. Dad."

Chapter 35 by pinkrose

Chapter 35

"So how did it go?" Dara asked as soon as Keesha and Julianna arrived at the house.

Justus was curious, too.

"It was...interesting," Keesha said. "Monica seemed too reserved; Alan was unbelievable."

"It was horrible," Julianna spoke up. "If that's the kind of treatment my father endured all the time, then I can see why he hasn't been back in so long. I'm glad he got us out of there."

Dara saw spunk and anger spilling out of Julianna.

"Are you A.J.'s new champion?" she couldn't help but ask.

"He's my father," Julianna said, speaking in a lower voice. "And tonight made me realize how fortunate I am to have a father who just wants to love me. His father ridiculed him in front of us. My father didn't deserve that, not when he was doing this because I asked him to. I felt so bad for him."

"Sounds like you've softened where A.J. is concerned," Justus said, eyeing her with interest as he waited for an answer.

"I have," she said, looking from Justus to Dara. "I realized tonight that I love him. I'm happy he's my father. I didn't want to let myself feel anything for him, but I do."

"Are you sure it's not just pity?" Justus asked, needing to make certain of the young girl's feelings.

"No. If it were pity, I could almost understand what my grandfather was saying to him. He’s living in the past. I know the type of man my father is today. He's not at all how they described him. I think his father wanted him to grovel or something. My father didn't make any demands on Mama or me when he showed up in Philadelphia. The difference I saw between my father and his father shocked me. Mama and Michael kept asking me to give Daddy a chance, but I didn't want to because I thought if I did, then he would change and start making demands on me, too. But I realized tonight that's never what he wanted. All he wanted was to love me and to make sure I knew he loved me. He may not have the love of his parents, or at least his father, but my father will always have my love."

"Sweetheart," Keesha said, hugging her daughter, "I couldn't be prouder of you. Thank you, baby girl. I know your father is one happy man."

"I'm happy, too, despite our visit," Julianna said. "I hope you're happy."

"I am. I admit I'm still stunned by Alan's reaction to seeing A.J. after all this time, but I was very proud of A.J., too. He wasn’t arrogant or defensive. He didn't make any cutting remarks. He didn't play their game, but he didn't leave without offering an olive branch. They're welcome to contact him any time. I just don't think he'll be paying any more visits to the mansion. At least not any time soon."

"Mama, is it okay if I go to my room?"

"Of course, sweetheart. I know you must be tired."

"I am. I think I might call Michael, though, and Shelly, too. Is that all right?"

"It's fine. Just make sure you're not on the phone all night, okay?"

Julianna smiled. "Okay. I love all of you."

"We love you, too," Dara said, after Julianna hugged her mother.

The trio headed to the kitchen once Julianna had gone upstairs.

"You got your wish, girlfriend," Dara said as she poured tea into mugs.

"None for me, honey," Justus said. "I...I have an errand to run."

"Now?" Dara questioned.

"Yes. It's something I need to do. I shouldn't be long."

"You're not going to the Quartermaines, are you?" Keesha asked, ready to talk her cousin out of that idea.

"No," Justus said. "I'm not going to the Quartermaines. This is just something that I thought about and have to take care of. I'll see you soon."

"What do you suppose *that* was about?" Keesha asked.

"Keesha," Dara said, looking perplexed, "I have *no* idea."

*~*

The moment A.J. admitted Justus into his suite, he inquired if Keesha and Julianna were all right.

"They're fine," Justus assured an anxious A.J.

He pointed to the chair at the table.

"Go ahead," A.J. said.

Justus sat down at the glass-topped table; A.J. took a seat across from him.

"I heard things got dicey at the mansion."

"Of course they did," A.J. said.

He gave a small, bittersweet laugh.

"It would've been too easy if things had gone smoothly. Those types of visits are for the prodigal son, right? And we both know that's not me."

"A.J...."

"I'm fine with the outcome. Really I am. I don't need my parents' approval, and now I have a chance to build a solid relationship with my daughter. I'm happy. My happiness would be complete if Keesha could get a new liver. That's where my focus is. On Keesha and Julianna."

"I can see that," Justus said, gaining new respect for his cousin. "And that's why I'm here. I need to tell you something, and then I need to give you something."

A.J.'s gaze narrowed. "What do you have to tell me?"

"I hope you'll hear me out because what I have to say isn't easy but very necessary."

"I'm listening."

"Your family was sorely disappointed when you didn't come home for your grandmother's funeral. They thought sure Lila's death would have brought you back to Port Charles, and they knew Emily had told you she had passed on."

"Em did tell me," A.J. acknowledged. "And I struggled with guilt for a long time about my decision not to return. It was one of the hardest decisions I'd ever had to make. But I knew I wasn't strong enough. I knew the emotion and the sadness and the grief would be more than I could handle. I also couldn't handle the questions and the curious looks I'm sure I would have received. I wasn't ready to answer to anyone. I knew the whole scene would most likely have sent me back to the bottle, and I could not afford another slip. Especially in front of my family. If that makes me weak or a coward, then so be it. I loved my grandmother with all my heart. But my love for her wasn't going to be enough to get me through what I knew I would have to face."

Justus nodded. "Believe it or not, one family member understood that. And when he was dying, he begged me to find you so he could talk to you, Grandfather to Grandson."

Justus couldn't have shocked A.J. more.

"Grandfather wanted to see me?"

"Yes, A.J., he did."

"Why?" he asked, unable to believe that Edward would have understood his position. "To berate me for not being at Grandmother's funeral? And for not rushing to his side when I knew he was ill?"

Justus shook his head. "No, A.J. To tell you that he understood why you had to leave and why you had to stay away."

"Grandfather told you this?" A.J. asked, incredulous.

"Yes, he did. When he was in the hospital, he kept asking me to find you, to bring you to him. He said he had so much to tell you. He wanted to know how you were handling the news that Michael wasn't your son. I told him I couldn't bring you to him. He was so angry with me. Right after Edward had gone into the hospital, Keesha contacted me and told me she had been put on the waiting list for a new liver. She asked to see me. She said she needed to decide about Julianna and you. She said she also needed to finalize the papers for Dara and me to receive full custody of Julianna if she didn’t make it. I felt as though I were losing family all around me, so without telling anyone, I took a liberty that I hope you can forgive me for."

"What did you do?"

Instead of answering, Justus stood from the chair and walked to the bay window. He stared unseeingly at the view of the Port Charles skyline in the late afternoon sun. A.J. rose and moved to stand behind his cousin, listening intently to every word he spoke.

"I knew it was only a matter of time before you found out about Julianna. Keesha was determined that you learn about your daughter and that you meet her, and you know how Lil Bit can be when she's determined."

"Yes, I do."

"I couldn't bring you to Grandfather, and I couldn't convince him that you hadn't suffered a setback after learning that Michael wasn't your son, but I told him from everything I knew, you were doing fine with the news. Grandfather needed more. He needed a reason to hold on for just a little bit longer. I hope my decision helped him in some way to hold on and to also find a little peace where you were concerned."

"What did you do, Justus?" A.J. asked again.

He turned around and faced his cousin. "I told him about Julianna. And then I showed him pictures of her. I showed him pictures of Keesha, too, but I didn't tell him about her illness."

"Grandfather knew I had a daughter before he died?"

"Yes, A.J., he did. Like I said, I hope you won't be too upset with me. Keesha doesn't know what I did. If you want to tell her, it's up to you. I can tell you that Edward was beyond thrilled. He started bellowing at me that you had to know you had a daughter. That's when I knew he would be able to hold on for a little bit longer because there was something he had to do."

"What was that?" A.J. asked, still stunned that his grandfather had known about Julianna.

"He wanted to write this to you."

Justus produced a bulky, sealed white envelope from his shirt pocket and handed it to A.J.

"Edward asked me to give this to you if you ever returned to Port Charles and saw your parents. Since both of those events have occurred, I see no reason to continue holding on to it. It's for you, A.J. Grandfather wanted you to have it. I have no idea what he might have said to you. I've just been abiding by his wishes."

A.J. turned the envelope over in his hands. "I'll open it soon."

"If you need anything after you read the contents, let me know."

"Thanks. I will."

"I'll leave you alone. I didn't want too much time to go by before I gave that to you."

"I appreciate this, Justus. I really do."

"No problem."

A.J. walked him to the door.

"Justus," he said, when his cousin had stepped outside the suite.

He turned to look at A.J.

"I'm glad you told Grandfather about Julianna."

Justus smiled, nodded and left A.J. alone.

*~*

A.J. sat in the chair his cousin had vacated and stared, for several long moments, at the sealed envelope. He thought he would feel as though it were mocking him, but he didn’t. He felt his grandfather prodding him to open the envelope.

With trembling fingers, A.J. finally did. He pulled out several folded sheets of personalized beige stationery and straightened them on the table. He recognized his grandfather’s scrawl, and as he began to read the contents of the letter, it was as though Edward’s booming voice were present with him in the room.

"My Dearest A.J.," the letter began, "if you are reading this that means you have finally returned to Port Charles and have seen your parents. I know this to be true because Justus gave me his word he would not give you this letter until those two things had occurred.

"So much has happened in the years since you left our family and our home. Your darling grandmother has passed on, and I am writing this from a confounded contraption in General Hospital. I know I will never see my bedroom again, and I’ve made my peace with that. What I haven’t made peace with is what has happened to you.

"I cannot believe that Michael is not your son. Life dealt you many a cruel blow, A.J., and no one knows that more than I do. I know you probably just read that line and thought, no one was harder on you than I was. That’s true, A.J., but it was because I never wanted to see you give up. I loved it when you would want to fight for little Michael, who by the way, is no longer so little. Whatever you may think of me, I loved my family very much. And you were always a part of my family, despite the fallings out we had and the ones you had with your father, Jason and Ned. I tried to keep you in the game. I wanted you to compete with them, to show them what you were made of, but I also understand that alcohol had you in its grips and would not let you go.

"Your parents were very angry with you, young man, when you did not show up or call when your Grandmother passed away. But Lila and I had talked, and she said she didn’t expect you would show. She knew how hard it was for you to be around the family. She just wanted you to be happy, my son. She wanted you to finally have the peace and contentment that she knew you deserved. In the end, A.J., that’s all I’ve ever wanted for you, too."

There was more to read, but A.J. needed to stop. He couldn’t believe this was the same grandfather who had hardly ever given him a break.

"I can’t believe you mellowed this much. And that I missed it."

He spoke his words to the letter he held in his hands.

After letting his grandfather’s words sink in, he resumed reading.

"One of my last wishes was that I would get to see you, but alas, it was not meant to be. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t kept up with the wonderful work you are doing. I wish I could give you a big hug. You have done exactly what we all said you could never do. I know I’ve been guilty of it, too, even when I wanted nothing more than to see you succeed. You made it hard for us to root for you sometimes, but I know your arrogant attitude and your 'I don’t-give-a-damn' mentality was to cover a lot of hurt and bitter disappointment. You made us all take notice, A.J., and you proved to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you most certainly did give a damn. I say bravo and that it’s about time."

A.J. allowed himself a smile.

"I’m staring at your picture that accompanied an interview you gave to a magazine that Justus brought me. You look healthy, my son. I’m damn proud of you, and I don’t care who knows it. Everyone in this hospital, who has been in my room, knows you are my grandson. They think I’m old and senile, so they humor me, but believe me, A.J., my faculties have never been sharper. I *know* what you have accomplished, and I know you had to leave your family in order to do it. I also know it couldn’t have been easy, but you finally managed to shut all of us up.

"If your parents were hard on you when you saw them, and I imagine they probably were, at least your father, anyway, don’t be hard on them, A.J. They’re still mourning the loss of four members of their family, six if you count Jason’s wife and Michael. We’ve had our share of problems, I am not going to deny you that, but since you are back in Port Charles, please, A.J., make peace with your family, and yes, I’m including Ned.

"Justus has just finished telling me about your daughter. Oh, how I want you to know her. I begged Justus to call Keesha so I could talk some sense into her, but he will not get involved in helping me find you or Keesha. He showed me pictures of Julianna and Keesha. She is absolutely beautiful, and she is your daughter, A.J. There is no mistaking that. I pray you two will find each other, and that you will be able to accept each other into your hearts and your lives. Don’t be a stubborn fool the way your father was. I’m asking you to accept your daughter into your life. There will always be time for questions. But you don’t know what the future holds. You have a chance, A.J., a chance for a real family. I can’t get Justus to do my bidding, but son, you had better find Keesha and your daughter. And if you’re lucky, maybe you and Keesha will find your way back to each other. It would do my heart good if I knew the three of you were a family. A real family. The way you could never be with Michael. Everyone deserves a family, A.J. We’ve all had a turn. Now it’s your turn. Go, A.J. Find them. Bring them into your life and into your heart. In the end, love is what matters. And believe me when I tell you, love is never gone."

The tears fell freely down A.J.’s cheeks when he had finished that portion of the letter. There was another note, but he couldn’t read it. All he wanted to do at that moment was to visit his grandmother and his grandfather.

"I owe you at least that much," he said, still believing his grandfather’s presence was with him in the suite.

*~*

A.J. arrived at the mausoleum and placed a bouquet of colorful roses on Lila’s crypt. He read the inscriptions and then said a silent prayer for each of them. Grateful to be alone, he spoke his thoughts out loud.

"I read your letter, Grandfather. Somehow, I think you know that, but I wanted to say it anyway. I will always cherish your words and the love I could feel as I was reading them. There were times when I thought you hated me," he said with a small laugh, "but never you, Grandmother. I knew you loved me in spite of the mess I always managed to make of my life. It was never in me, I guess, to be the Quartermaine everyone expected. In Manhattan, I am known as A.J. Quartermaine, but the name does not come with any preconceived notions. I guess that’s one of the major reasons I’ve done as well as I have.

"Yet, I know any success I may have achieved would not have been possible if I weren’t a part of this family, despite how much of an outcast I felt at times. When things got too heated for me, I headed for the bottle. I figured it was what everyone expected me to do, and I had no reason to try to live up to anything else. I never helped anybody, that’s for sure.

"The best thing Dad ever did was to throw me out. I’d already been cut off financially, but as long as I had one more scheme left in me, that wouldn’t have mattered. I couldn’t tell anybody how much it hurt me to see Jason and Courtney together because I thought no one truly cared about my feelings. I’m sorry, Grandmother, but I felt this about you, too, at the time. I know I got involved with Courtney for all the wrong reasons, as is my nature, but somewhere along the line, I did fall in love with her. But like everything else in my life at that time, I handled it very, very badly. I panicked, and I made a bunch of stupid decisions. So Jason came to her rescue. It took me a long time to get over that, but I did. I have. I hope they’re happy, wherever they are.

"I blew it big time when I never contacted Keesha after she left Port Charles. But, you see, the problem was I would’ve used her, and I would’ve hated myself for that. I can hear you now, Grandfather, and I’m so glad you can’t lecture me. Julianna is beautiful and sensitive and caring. She is her mother’s daughter. I just got lucky but, believe me, I know how fortunate I am. Keesha and Julianna make an awesome, unbeatable team, and I’m thankful they are on my side.

"I won’t blow this chance I’ve been given, Grandfather. I swear I won’t. I don’t know what’s going to happen to Keesha, but I am going to do everything within my power to make sure she lives a long, healthy and happy life if she is given that chance.

"I love both of you so much. I thought about you a lot after I left town, but I knew I had to keep my distance. It just had to be that way, for everyone’s sake. I know I caused a lot of hurt and a lot of disappointment. My only hope is that I’m helping others not to make the same mistakes I made.

"You’re absolutely right, Grandfather. Love is never gone. And as we travel on, love’s what we’ll remember. Julianna sang those words to me a few weeks ago. She has a lovely voice. I remember both of you, and I think of you often. I pray you’re resting in peace."

A.J. placed his hands against both crypts and bowed his head for a moment. He nearly jumped out of his skin when he felt a strong hand gripping his right shoulder. He turned and looked into the eyes of his father.

"I think it’s time we had a long overdue talk," Alan said.

A.J. simply nodded.

Chapter 36 by pinkrose

Chapter 36

"I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw you at the mausoleum," Alan said.

Father and son had returned to A.J.'s hotel suite.

"You almost had to put your CPR skills to work," A.J. said.

"I'm sorry I spooked you. I heard some of what you were saying, and I instinctively reached out to touch you."

"It's the most contact we've had in eleven years."

Alan nodded as he took a seat on the divan. A.J. sat next to him. Now that he had a closer look at him, A.J. couldn't help but notice that his father had aged. His hair was mostly gray, and his worry lines had increased and deepened.

"After you left the house, your mother and I got into a huge fight. I needed to get away. I guess it was fate that led me to where you were."

A.J.'s eyes roamed to the papers that lay on the table.

"I was there because Justus gave me a letter that Grandfather had written to me before he died. I just...I needed to reach out to Grandfather and Grandmother."

"You know, A.J., your mother and I thought for sure you would come back or at least call us when you found out your grandmother had died. She never treated you badly. How could you not honor her life and her memory?"

"I did honor Grandmother's life. In my own way."

"But not with your family, A.J. You should have been at her funeral."

"Would you have let me, Dad?" A.J. asked pointedly.

At Alan’s perplexed look, A.J. continued. "I'm asking an honest question. If I had come back for Grandmother's services, would you have let me mourn like everyone else? Would you have allowed me my time of sorrow and grief or would you have jumped on me the minute you found the opportunity, the circumstances be damned?"

"Your mother and I, as well as other family members, especially your grandfather, would have had questions for you but, of course, we would have allowed you to grieve. What kind of a question is that?"

"A very valid one as far as I'm concerned. Let me ask you this. Why didn't you give me a chance to explain my situation to you when Keesha, Julianna and I were in your home? I had no sooner introduced you and Mom to my daughter than you had to start in with the derogatory remarks. Why, Dad? Am I still that easy of a target for you? You didn't want to listen to anything I had to say. You still don’t know why I’m even here. And I bet you don’t care. All you want is to make sure I know, once more, what a disappointment I am to the family."

"You are a disappointment, A.J. You could have and should have handled this whole situation very differently. Your mother and I should have met Julianna after we’d had a chance to talk to you. Alone. We couldn't talk about the issues between us with your daughter and Keesha present in the room."

"You didn't seem to have a problem letting my daughter know exactly what you think of me!"

A.J. jumped up from the sofa and began to pace the room.

"Is this how it's going to be every time our paths cross?" he demanded. "Are we never going to get past any of our issues to forge any kind of a relationship or at least a truce?"

"You tell me," Alan said, now standing. "You seem to be the one with all the answers these days."

A.J.'s eyes narrowed. "What the hell does that mean?"

"Oh, come on, A.J. You think I don't read newspapers and magazines. I know you've been interviewed by the best reporters out there."

"And that has what exactly to do with this conversation?"

"You're a big shot now. Isn't that what you've always wanted and what you thought the family was holding you back from? You have it all, A.J. And now you have a ready-made family to go along with your monumental success. Congratulations to you."

As A.J. took a moment to study his father, really study him, a light began to dawn. Was it possible his father was envious of him? But how could that be? And yet...

"I know I have no right to ask that you be happy for me," A.J. said, "but I would like to know why you sound so bitter. What is it I've done? Do you know how hard it is for me to hear you talk that way to me? How hard it’s always been to be on the receiving end of your wrath? It gets old, Dad. It gets very old very quickly."

"Do *you* know how hard it is to try to explain to people that your son, who is so successful helping other people, can't even find the time to be with his own family during their time of grief?!"

"You want to know why I didn't come back for Grandmother's funeral?"

"Yes, A.J.," Alan said, exasperated. "I damn well do want to know why. And why you couldn't even spare a moment for your own grandfather, too!"

A.J.'s eyes never left his father's face. "Right before Emily told me that grandmother had passed away, I'd had to go back for more help. I hadn't taken a drink, but I was thisclose to losing everything I had fought so hard for. When Emily told me that grandmother was ailing, I'd made arrangements to come here. I did. You can ask her. You can ask Skye. But I still harbored so much anger and resentment that when I thought about returning, it literally made me sick. My counselor admitted me, very discreetly, into the hospital so I could get the help I needed. I swear I never took that drink, but that didn't mean I didn't know how much I had let the family down. I knew you and Mom were expecting me. I know I should've been here. But it wasn't worth it to me if I started drinking again. That's all you and Mom and the others would have seen. I come home, after six years of sobriety and making it on my own, and in one or two days, I go right back to being the Quartermaine drunk? I couldn't do it, Dad. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't do it."

"A.J.," Alan said, his tone softer, "we could've helped you. We would've helped you."

"You couldn't have helped me. If I had taken a drink, that would've been the end. There would have been no going back, and I would've given up. I almost had given up in Manhattan, but thank goodness I had the sense to call my counselor instead of heading for the nearest bar. I don't know what you feel towards me, Dad. I don't know if you want to throttle me or punish me in some way or if you can finally let some of this resentment go, but I can't play the games anymore. I can't. And more importantly, I won't."

"I feel as though you brought Julianna into our home to flaunt her in front of your mother and me, especially me. I was angry at the situation, and I took it out on you. I never should have done that. But you don't know the hell your mother and I went through all those years ago."

"What was I supposed to do? I'm pleading for an answer, Dad. Tell me what I should have done after you threw me out of the house in front of everyone, including Jason and Courtney. You don't think I was humiliated?"

"See, that's one of the problems I've always had. You get to feel put upon and upset and humiliated and all those other emotions, but you have never once stopped to think what your drunken behavior has caused your family to feel. Do you think Courtney enjoyed being taunted by you that night? Do you think Jason appreciated the accusations and insults you hurled at him? I'm not talking about right and wrong here, A.J., I'm talking about entitlement. It was fine when *you* decided to disrupt our lives with one of your liquored-up outbursts, but how dare we say or feel anything in return? It doesn't work like that. I'm sorry, but it doesn't."

"You're right. I know that now. Dad, I'm not excusing my behavior back then. I'm not. But what I'm asking of you now is what is it you want me to do? Do you want me to stay away? I can do that. Do you want me to call or come by? I can do that, too. But I refuse to play these useless mind games. I don't know what you're feeling or thinking. You're my father, but you're unreadable to me. What is it you want from me, Dad? Please, tell me."

"For starters, I want you to come to the house. Alone. And I want you to apologize to your mother for never having contacted her this whole time. And I want the apology to be a sincere one."

"I can do that," A.J. said. "I know I've hurt Mom. I’ll talk to her. But where does that leave you and me?"

"It leaves us still needing to work through some major issues. I was also going to demand that you visit your grandfather and your grandmother, but you accomplished that on your own. I want to hear you apologize to your mother, and I want you to listen carefully to what your mother has to say to you. This is it as far as I'm concerned, A.J. You are either going to be a part of this family and know that you have certain obligations, or you can just forget about us entirely, and we'll gladly do the same."

"Julianna thought you already had when she looked at the photograph table," A.J. said quietly.

"That was done for a reason," Alan said. "I wanted to shock you."

"I wasn't all that surprised to be honest," A.J. said. "But I was surprised Mom went along with it."

"Your mother didn't know I had done it until Julianna mentioned it."

"Do you really despise me that much?"

A.J. hated that he was letting his father get to him, but he didn't know how else he was supposed to feel.

"I'm disappointed in you, A.J. And I need you to understand the depth of that disappointment. My father wasn't an easy man to get along with either, and we had our share of problems, but we stood by each other and we fought our way through our battles."

"You wanted me to stay so you and I could fight?"

"No, A.J. I wanted you to stay because you are my son."

"Then why did you order me to leave?" he asked, genuinely confused.

"I wanted you out of the house for that night and possibly the next, but dammit, A.J., I didn't expect to go eleven years without seeing you!"

A.J. saw his father's face crumble, and he realized he had finally witnessed one moment of unveiled truth concerning his father's emotional state.

"You didn't really want things to change, did you?" A.J. asked, his voice low. "And you never thought I would be the one who would or could change them. Isn't that right, Dad?"

Alan pulled himself together and headed for the door without answering his son's question. "Tomorrow morning," Alan said, his hand on the doorknob. "I expect to see you at the house."

"I’ll be there," he said.

He even managed a small smile.

*~*

Ready to call it a night, A.J. heard a knock on his door. He looked out and saw Julianna. He opened the door and quickly ushered her in.

"Is everything okay?" he asked.

"Yes. Everything’s fine."

A.J. gave her a stern look. "It’s late. Why aren’t you home?"

Julianna smiled. "It’s okay. Mama knows I’m here."

"How did you get here?"

"Michael and I went to see a movie. He walked me to the hotel. I thought maybe you wouldn’t mind taking me home?"

"Of course not. Sit down. Are you thirsty? Hungry?"

"No. The buttered popcorn tasted sooo good. So did the M&Ms that Michael and I shared. He was happy we finally got to eat some food. We never seem to eat when we're together."

"I still can’t believe you and Michael know each other."

"Isn’t it weird? That’s one of the reasons I came to see you. Michael and I were talking about the last time I was here. I came down on you pretty hard, Dad, and I wanted to apologize."

"Julianna, you have nothing to apologize for. You had every right to question me the way you did."

"I accused you of a lot of very bad things."

"And, unfortunately, many of them were true."

"I...I want you to know that when I told you that I love you and that I accept you as my father, I wasn’t putting on a show for your parents. I meant what I said."

"I never doubted it, sweetheart," he said, stroking her curly hair. "I’ve learned that you don’t say things unless you mean them and that you definitely mean what you say. You are sooo much like your mother, it scares me. But it gives me a lot of comfort, too."

Julianna laughed. "When Mama’s upset with me, she says I’m just like my father. That used to bother me, but now, if Mama should say that to me, I think it will make me happy."

A.J. laughed. "I think it will depend on why your mother is saying that. She knows my very bad traits, and I’m sure she’s hoping you haven’t inherited them."

"Have you noticed any of your characteristics, good or bad, in me?" Julianna asked, sincerely wanting to know.

"Well, there’s no mistaking your eyes."

"I know. People compliment me about my eyes. I used to hate it, but it’s something else I’m learning to appreciate."

"I’m happy to say I think you’ve inherited all of your mother’s wonderful traits. A little stubbornness, but between your mother and me, I think there was no way you could avoid that one."

"I know! When Mama accuses me of being stubborn, I tell her she’s stubborn, too, but she doesn’t listen to me. Mama blames that part of my nature on you."

A.J. smiled. "I’m not surprised. Your mother will always stand up for what she believes in. And if Keesha thinks I’m to blame, well, I’m afraid we can’t argue with her."

"Daddy," Julianna said, her voice breaking, "what are we going to do if Mama doesn’t get a new liver?"

A.J. saw his daughter’s eyes start to mist, and a second later, he was holding her in his arms. "I can’t stop thinking about it," she said, drawing strength from her father.

"I know, Julianna. I think about it all the time, too. We can’t give up hope, and we can’t let your mother see how worried we are."

"I try not to," Julianna said, "but sometimes it’s hard, especially when I know Mama isn’t feeling well."

"Is your mother not feeling well?" A.J. asked, alarmed.

"Mama said she needs to get more rest."

Julianna lifted her head and looked at her father.

"Mama wants to be with you more. Can you spend the day with us tomorrow?"

"Sure. I have one thing I need to do in the morning, but after that, I can come by. Would that work?"

"That would be nice," she said.

She wanted to smile but instead she yawned.

"C’mon, sweetheart. I’m taking you home."

*~*

When they arrived at Dara and Justus’ house, Julianna noticed her mother’s light was still on.

"Mama must be waiting up for me."

"I’d like to go inside with you. To make sure everything is all right."

Julianna nodded.

They entered the house and walked down the hallway towards the guest room Keesha was using. Julianna peeked in and saw that her mother was awake.

"Hi."

"Hey. How was the movie? And how was your visit with your father?"

"Both were great. We saw your light on so Dad asked if he could come in. He’s here."

Julianna hid a smile as she noticed her mother sitting up straighter in the bed and quickly finger combing her hair.

"Tell him to get in here."

Julianna turned and smiled at her father. "You heard Mama. She wants to see you."

"And I better not keep her waiting, right?"

Julianna giggled. Keesha wanted to know what was so funny. Father and daughter shared a knowing look, and then A.J. said goodnight to her.

"I can't believe you two are keeping secrets from me," Keesha accused A.J.

But there was no malice in her tone.

"Julianna and I did a little note comparing tonight, that’s all."

Keesha eyed him skeptically but didn’t press. A.J. laughed.

"Keesha, I can tell you right now that I will never, ever get tired of hearing our daughter call me ‘Dad.' I don’t think there’s a more wonderful word in the dictionary."

"I’m so happy for you," Keesha said. "I really am. Sit down," she said, motioning to the chaise lounge near her bed. "You look beat."

"I am," he admitted, leaning back and stretching out his legs. "It’s been a long day. How come you’re still awake? I hope you weren’t worried about Julianna."

"No," Keesha said, pretending to straighten the bed covers, "I knew she was with you. She called and told me."

"And?" A.J. asked.

He sat up and stilled her hands by covering them with his own.

"And what?" she asked, not looking at him.

"And why was your light still on, Ms. Ward?" he teased.

She gave him a sheepish look. "I did that on purpose," she admitted. "I was hoping it would get you inside so I could see you."

"Keesha Ward, you did not have to resort to such underhanded tactics."

He laughed when she looked properly chastised.

"You could’ve told our daughter you wanted to see me."

Keesha’s brow furrowed. "Julianna’s already giving me strange looks. I didn’t want to add fuel to the fire."

"She knows anyway. I’m here, aren’t I?"

Keesha gazed at him with adoring eyes. "Yes, you are here, A.J. And I have a big favor to ask you."

"Ask me anything," he said, leaning in closer while continuing to hold her hands.

"If you wouldn’t mind sleeping on that chaise lounge, could you stay with me tonight? Please?"

A.J. tenderly stroked Keesha’s satiny cheek with the pad of his thumb.

"I’d be happy to stay with you, sweetheart. There’s no other place I’d rather be."

As a comfortable silence filled the room, they found themselves inching closer to each other until their mouths finally came together for a kiss that spoke loudly and fervently of their awakened and renewed intensity for each other. A.J. held Keesha close as she arched forward to taste more of him when he began to probe her mouth with his tongue. He continued to savor the feel of being able to touch her, to caress her, to make her moan with pleasure as they both satisfied a need that was growing deeper.

When they finally broke apart, Keesha kept her arms draped around A.J.'s shoulders. She couldn't stop smiling. He made her happy. Very happy. He returned her smile and then cupped her chin with the palm of his hand while kissing her once more with an urgency he knew they both felt and could not and did not want to restrain.

"I could so easily get used to this," Keesha told him, her voice soft against his ear in the quiet of the night.

"I have news for you, Keesha," he whispered against her neck. "I already *am* used to this."

"I think I am, too," she said and grinned.

She reached for his hand and held it in her own as she laid her head back on her pillows and sighed contentedly after A.J. had delighted her with one more kiss and then assured her he would be there when she woke up in the morning.

She hadn't heard such comforting words in a very long time.

 

Chapter 37 by pinkrose

Chapter 37

A.J. awoke early the next morning, surprised to see Keesha sitting up in bed staring at him.

"Good morning," he said, tossing back the covers and moving to a sitting position on the makeshift bed.

"Morning," she returned, her voice soft.

"Were you watching me sleep?" he asked, a teasing glint in his eyes.

Keesha held up her right hand and smiled unabashedly. "Guilty as charged, Mr. Quartermaine. And may I say you looked absolutely adorable."

He laughed and then returned her smile. "You're in good spirits."

"I guess I am," she agreed. "I slept very well. Thank you for staying with me. I liked knowing you were here."

"I'm glad I could help," he said sincerely.

"Did you sleep okay?" she asked.

"I slept just fine. I was so tired I think I could've slept standing up."

He rose from the chaise lounge and stretched his muscles.

"All I need is a cup of strong coffee and a hot shower, and I'll be fully awake."

"I hope you're not rushing off."

"Unfortunately, I am," he said, his voice conveying his disappointment.

"Why?"

"I have to give a command performance at my parents' house."

"You talked to them?" Keesha asked, surprised.

"I went to visit my grandparents at the cemetery. Dad showed up. He almost scared me to death. Literally. We went back to the hotel and did some more talking. I'm not really sure what's going on, Keesha, but I need to try to make peace with my mom."

"What about your father?"

"I want to make peace with him, too, or at least come to some kind of a truce, but whether that will be possible, I have no idea."

"Come back here when you're through."

"I plan to. Julianna extended your invitation last night. I'd love to spend the day with you and our daughter."

"We'd love it, too," she assured him with a smile.

He hated leaving her, especially so early in the morning, but after giving her a lingering good-bye kiss, he told her he would see her soon.

*~*

After returning to his hotel room to freshen up, A.J. arrived at the mansion as scheduled. Reginald admitted and ushered him into the living room where the usual breakfast buffet awaited.

"Some things never change, hey, Reg," A.J. said and laughed.

"Whatever you say, Mr. Quartermaine."

Reginald rolled his eyes as he left the room.

A.J. shrugged and after pouring a cup of coffee, he helped himself to an apple danish. He had just taken a seat on the couch when his parents walked in.

"Good morning," he said, rising to greet them.

He warmly embraced his mother and nodded towards his father.

"I'm happy you're here, A.J.," Monica said, sitting next to him on the sofa.

Alan sat on the arm.

"I know you're upset with me, too," A.J. acknowledged. "I want to try to make things right between us. All of us."

"Even though your reason for returning to Port Charles wasn’t to see us?"

Monica couldn't keep the hurt from her voice.

"Yes. I admit I had serious reservations about contacting you and Dad, even though I was in town, but thanks to my daughter, we are in touch. You probably know Dad and I talked last night. We didn't come to any agreements but, Mom, I am deeply sorry that I never called you after I left. A lot of it was my stupid pride, but some of it was genuine anger, too. I honestly wasn't sure I could be civil to you, and especially to Dad, if I did call. And I didn't want to use any sort of a confrontation as an excuse to start drinking again. I was scared. I was afraid we would get into an argument and that would make me turn to alcohol. I was still struggling a lot with my newfound sobriety and, believe me, it wouldn't have taken much for me to fall off the wagon. I really wanted to change. For myself. Not for anybody else. That's why I didn't come back, and that's why I didn't call. I wish I could have been stronger, but I wasn't. Can you forgive me?"

"That's my goal, A.J. I want to be able to forgive you. Totally and completely. I understand what you're saying. I do. But you need to realize what your father and I went through after you left."

"Tell me," A.J. said, sincerely wanting to hear his mother's side of the events that had occurred.

"It's true I didn't stop your father from throwing you out of this house, but that didn't mean I agreed with his decision. If you remember correctly, you know I tried to get everyone to calm down that night and listen to reason. I wanted us to work out our differences, especially where Jason and Courtney were concerned. I was angry with Alan for a long time, especially when the days turned into weeks and we had no word from you. A.J., I tortured myself wondering where and how you were. I couldn't keep the thought at bay that maybe you were lying hurt somewhere unable to ask for help or even worse, that maybe you were...dead. It's a parent's worst nightmare, and now that you have a daughter, I hope you can appreciate the hell your father and I went through."

"I'm sorry, Mom. I really am. Those first few weeks, I wasn't thinking coherently, if at all. It wasn't until after I'd been through detox and had started to feel somewhat better that I realized I hadn't been in touch with anybody. I knew you must have been worried. The only ones I felt even remotely safe contacting were Skye and Emily. And even then, my counselor was with me when I made the phone calls, so that he could monitor my reaction."

"Shouldn't he have encouraged you to call your parents?" Alan asked.

A.J. looked at his father. "He said the decision was up to me, and I did what I could handle."

"You mean to tell me that in eleven years, you never felt ready to contact us?!" Alan asked, incensed.

A.J. stood and crossed to stand near the fireplace. "The honest answer is no, I didn't. Yesterday, before Keesha, Julianna and I came here, I went to three AA meetings. I can tell you the last time I'd had to do that. It was when I found out that Grandmother was ailing and wasn't going to make it."

"A.J.," Monica said, looking at her husband before she rose to stand in front of her son. "You didn't have to go through that time alone."

"Yes, I did. Hearing about Grandmother's failing health was the first major threat I had experienced to my sobriety. To come back here would have been suicide. I'm sorry, but I will believe that until my dying day. I was trying to do the best I knew how, and I was trying to make sure the Manhattan Center became a bona fide success. I put all my efforts and all my energy into making sure I didn't fail. My project was starting to get noticed and influential people wanted to get on board with my vision. I had no room for error, but one night, after learning about Grandmother, I almost slipped. I hadn't been feeling well since Emily had called with the news, and I thought vodka would help. Where that thought came from I have no idea, but it got a hold of me and wouldn't let go. Instead of drinking, I called my counselor. He came to my apartment, took one look at me, and made arrangements to have me admitted to a hospital."

"A.J!" Monica exclaimed.

"It worked out, Mom. I needed the help. I needed to break the cycle of thinking I wanted a drink. But after that episode, I had to put thoughts of you and Dad and the rest of the family out of my mind. I just couldn't let myself concentrate on anything other than what I was trying to accomplish. Seeing my vision become a reality, and a successful reality at that, became my sole focus in life. I wanted my idea to work. I wanted to help people. If that makes me a bastard in your eyes or Dad's eyes or anyone else's eyes, then so be it. But what I'm saying is the truth. I don't need to tell lies and make up stories anymore. I will not minimize or try to gloss over how much damage I did when I was drinking, but I will not allow anyone to make me wallow in my past mistakes, without acknowledging that I have changed. Because I have."

"Yes, A.J.," Monica said, able to admit the truth when she saw it. "I can tell that you've changed. A lot. I saw it yesterday, and I am not trying to undermine you in any way. I just want you to understand that in the process of you changing your life, you left us twisting in the wind. Your father and I did not deserve that. Not for that length of time. And even now, if it weren't for your daughter, you said you probably wouldn't have contacted us. Can you acknowledge how much that hurts, A.J.? Can you try to understand what your father and I have endured as we tried to cope with the real possibility we would never see you again?"

"Yes," A.J. said, thinking about the lost years with his own daughter, "I do understand. And I am very sorry I caused so much hurt and disappointment. To you and to Dad. I'm also sorry I was never able to find a way to contact you without thinking it would cost me too much. Am I forgiven?"

"Yes," Monica said, pulling her son into a tight hug. "I forgive you, A.J., and I want you to know I am very proud of you."

"Thanks, Mom," A.J. said, looking at his father.

Alan was still unreadable to him, but he thought he caught a glimpse of something other than disdain coming from him.

"Dad?" A.J. asked, when Monica had released him. "Is there any chance you can forgive me?"

"I can't deny that you have changed," Alan said. "And I don't doubt your sincerity, but I do have a question for you."

"Ask me."

"Do you plan to stay in our lives, and are we going to be allowed to be in Julianna's life?"

*~*

"You survived!" Keesha said, when A.J. and Julianna walked into her room.

"I did," he acknowledged with a smile.

"Was it bad?" Julianna asked.

"No," he said, looking from his daughter to Keesha. "It actually went pretty well. We have an open invitation to visit any time. Your grandparents would like to get to know you, Julianna. And there is the bonus of having access to the pool, the tennis courts, the hot tub, the sauna..."

"What about the kitchen?" Julianna asked and then giggled.

"Ah, you’ll have to ask your mother about that."

Keesha shook her head at both of them, but then she laughed, too.

"It’s up to you, Julianna," she said, "but I would think twice, three times, four times before I stepped foot in the Quartermaine kitchen."

"I can give you a guided tour," A.J. offered.

"I think I’d like that," Julianna said sincerely. "It’s such a nice day. Let’s sit outside on the patio. I’ve set up a pitcher of iced tea and slices of a lemon bundt cake I made."

"Sounds good to me," A.J. said, looking at Keesha.

"I’d like to sit outside, too," she said. "I need the fresh air."

*~*

"You are such a wonderful hostess," A.J. said to his daughter once they had been seated and served.

"Thank you."

"When Julianna was little, she used to have the best tea parties in the neighborhood, didn’t you, honey?"

"Mama," Julianna said, embarrassed.

"Tell me about them," A.J. encouraged his daughter. "Please."

"All right," she said, not looking directly at either parent. "When I was six, I started a tradition. Once a month, on a Saturday, I used to invite three friends over for a tea party. They could bring one stuffed animal or one doll, but they couldn’t bring both. Mama would help me set up the family room with a table and chairs and some decorations, usually balloons. I called it a tea party, but we usually drank some kind of fruit punch and ate cookies or cupcakes. And then we would play together. It was fun."

"Everyone couldn’t wait for their turn to be invited," Keesha added. "And Julianna usually baked the treat herself."

"With your help."

"It sounds like a wonderful time," A.J. said.

"Yeah," Julianna said, thinking back to how much fun she used to have and how much her mother had always helped and encouraged her, "it was. It really was."

"So you’ve been baking and cooking since you were six?" A.J. asked.

"With Mama helping me. I didn’t start doing any cooking on my own until Mama got sick. But I would bake sometimes when I got home from school and surprise Mama with dessert when she got home from work."

"You’re so thoughtful," A.J. said, squeezing his daughter’s hand.

"We had a pretty good routine," Keesha said. "We would do a lot of the cooking on the weekends. I was fortunate to have a Monday through Friday schedule, unless I was called in to cover someone’s shift at the hospital. Julianna would get dinner started when she came home from school. There wasn’t much for me to do by the time I got home."

"Do you miss working at the hospital?" A.J. asked Keesha.

"Not really. In the beginning, I did, but then I got so sick, I knew there was no way I could even think about going back, so I didn’t let myself dwell on what couldn’t be. I just wanted to feel better and get well."

A.J. nodded in understanding. "Do you two miss Philadelphia?"

"I do," Julianna said. "I mean, I like it here, but it’s not our home. I love our house. And I miss my friends."

"It’s been nice to come back here," Keesha said. "It hasn’t been as bad as I had feared. But like Julianna said, this isn’t our home. You must feel the same way, A.J. Especially staying at the hotel."

"I do miss Manhattan and my apartment," A.J. acknowledged. "But I’m not sorry I came here. Yet," he added with a small laugh.

"You just have to stay out of trouble, Mr. Quartermaine," Keesha teased.

A.J. laughed. "I’m trying my best, Ms. Ward."

Julianna couldn’t help but notice the looks her parents were giving each other. If I weren’t sitting here, she thought, I bet they’d be kissing. After several moments had passed without conversation, Julianna decided to break the silence.

"Michael invited us to a barbecue."

Keesha and A.J. stopped gazing at each other and turned their attention towards their daughter.

"He did?" A.J. asked.

Julianna nodded. "Well, actually, he’s invited, too. His cousins’ parents are having a barbecue, and they’ve invited us. That’s what Michael said."

"Which cousins?" A.J. asked.

"Maxie and Georgie. Mac and Felicia are having the party."

"How nice," Keesha said. "When is it?"

"Tomorrow night."

Keesha frowned. "I think I’m going to pass. I want to make sure I can make dinner at Nikolas and Gia’s the following night. What about you, A.J.?"

"I think I’m going to have to say ‘no,’ too. But if you want to go, Julianna, I think you should."

"I agree," Keesha said. "It’ll be fun for you, sweetheart."

"Michael said Dara and Justus were invited, too. If they go, you’ll be by yourself, Mama."

Keesha and A.J. shared a look.

"Don’t worry about your mother," A.J. said, his eyes twinkling. "I’ll make sure she is definitely not alone."

Chapter 38 by pinkrose

Chapter 38

"Tom and I are looking forward to meeting your daughter tonight," Skye said to A.J. as she and Emily helped him decorate the suite for his evening with Keesha.

"I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to introduce you," he said. "I'm glad you guys will be at the barbecue."

"Brianna can't wait to see Julianna," Emily said. "We wish you and Keesha were going."

"Spending the evening here will be less stressful, I hope," A.J. said. "But I'm glad Julianna will have family and friends watching out for her."

"She will," Skye assured him.

"Is it okay if people know she's your daughter?" Emily asked.

"Yes," A.J. said. "I think it's fine if she chooses to tell them."

"How does it feel," his sister asked, "to know that your daughter wants you in her life?"

"It's the best feeling," he said, beaming at both Emily and Skye.

Emily returned his smile.

"I know how devastated you were about Michael," she said. "Not just when you found out he wasn't your son, but ever since he was born. I also know I wasn't very supportive of you with regard to Michael when you were trying to be in his life."

"It's okay, Em," A.J. assured his sister. "I know you had your loyalties and your reasons. I'm the one who messed up. I didn't give anyone a reason to support me. I know that now."

"Well, I just want you to know that I do support you and Julianna. And Keesha. I think it's great you two have found each other again. And if these decorations are any indication..."

Emily and Skye looked around at the strategically placed candles, that for the moment were unlit, and bouquets of red, pink, yellow, and white roses that filled the room.

"I want to do something special for Keesha," A.J. said.

The two ladies winked and nodded at each other and then Emily looked at her watch.

"I hate to cut out on you guys, but I gotta go. Bri and Brian are at the mansion. I need to get them cleaned up in time for the barbecue."

"No problem," A.J. said. "Thanks for all your help."

"You're welcome," Emily said, giving her brother a hug. "If Brianna hasn't already told them, is it okay if I tell Mom and Dad that Julianna will be at Mac and Felicia's? Maybe they'll stop by."

"It's okay to tell them. I'll let Julianna know."

"Great." Emily couldn't help but grin. "Enjoy your evening with Keesha. See you later, Skye."

After Emily left, Skye continued working on the decorations while A.J. confirmed his dinner menu with the hotel chef.

"Even though I don't know her, I can see that Keesha is one lucky lady," Skye said approvingly.

"No, Skye," A.J. quickly corrected. "I'm the one who's *very* fortunate."

"Since you're okay with Emily telling Alan and Monica about Julianna being at the barbecue, I take it things went well?"

"They did. I'm okay with where we are right now. I think they are, too."

"What about the Jason factor?"

A.J.'s expression turned serious. "You know, Skye, I've decided not to dwell on him anymore. I was doing great in that department until I found out about Julianna. So many insecurities about being a parent, being a good father and comparing myself to Jason came flooding back to me. I had to stop and remind myself that I can't change the way anyone feels about my brother as opposed to me, so what's the point? Julianna is my daughter, and I love her. We're trying to build a relationship. One of my main problems when Michael was a baby was that I talked about him as if he were a possession. Something that was mine. That I could present as a trophy. It wasn't the way I felt, not deep down inside, but that's how I thought he needed to be viewed and how I needed to be viewed in order to gain my family's respect and support.

"I did not agree with the way Jason and Carly handled the situation, and I definitely did not agree with what Jason was doing, but I have to give him credit for two things. One, I know he loved Michael. That was the bottom line for him. Two, he saw Michael as a person, as a human being in his own right. I know everyone thought I wanted Michael just because Jason had him and then Sonny, but I believed he was my son, and I wanted to be in his life. I made so many mistakes, Skye. I don't want to make those same mistakes with Julianna."

"I doubt you will," Skye said, her voice soft.

"Maybe not, but I know I will make some because I'm human. But the one thing I will not stand for is her feeling second best to anyone because of my family. That is an absolute. My family can feel any way they care to about me, but when it comes to Julianna, I will not allow it. At all. Period."

Skye smiled at A.J. "Julianna is one young girl who I can tell is loved very much. By both her parents. I can't wait to tell her how terrific I think her father is."

*~*

"I'm a little nervous about tonight," Julianna admitted to her parents.

"Why?" Keesha asked.

"Because I won't know hardly anyone."

"Dara and Justus are going to be there," Keesha said.

"Emily and her family will be there, too," A.J. added. "Emily said Brianna is looking forward to seeing you. Skye plans to introduce herself and Tom to you. Your grandparents might be there, too."

"What about the people I don't know?" Julianna asked.

"I'm sure Michael will make you feel comfortable," Keesha said. "And I think his grandmother Bobbie will be there. She and Felicia are very good friends, at least they were."

"I think they still are," A.J. said.

Julianna frowned as she looked from her mother to her father.

"What is it, sweetheart?" A.J. asked.

"I...I wanted to ask you if it would be okay, like say Brooke Lynn is there, can I tell her that she and I are cousins? Can I say you're my father?"

"Yes," A.J. said and smiled at his daughter. "It's your call, Julianna. If you feel comfortable letting people know I'm your father, I'm fine with that. Does that sound okay, Keesha?"

"Yes," she agreed. "I think it would be good for you to tell those you feel comfortable with."

"I don't want it to be a big deal," Julianna rushed to tell them, "but I also don't want it to be something I'm hiding."

Both parents assured her they trusted her judgment. When Dara peeked in and said they were ready to leave, Keesha and A.J. wished their daughter a wonderful time and told her to have fun.

*~*

From his vantage point in the living room, Michael spotted Julianna the moment she arrived with Dara and Justus. He wasted no time crossing the room to greet her.

"Hey! I’m glad you made it."

"Hi, Michael," she said, her eyes darting across the room at all the unfamiliar faces.

"Looks like everyone who lives in PC is here," Justus said with a laugh.

"There are more people in the backyard, too," Michael told them.

"Shall we head outside?" Justus asked.

"Sure," Dara said.

"If it’s okay, I’ll introduce Julianna to some people in here, and then we can join you."

"Okay."

Dara and Justus were headed for the backyard when Mac saw them and said "hello." He gave Dara a kiss on her cheek and shook hands with Justus.

"I heard Keesha’s daughter was coming," Mac said. "I’d like to meet her."

"She’s here," Dara told him. "Julianna is standing next to Michael. It looks like he’s introducing her to Maxie and Georgie."

"I’ll go introduce myself," Mac said. "Drinks and snacks are outside and so is Felicia."

Mac arrived just as Georgie was introducing Julianna to her fiancé Dillon.

"Nice to meet you," Dillon said.

"And I want to introduce myself," Mac said. "I’m Mac Scorpio, your host for this evening. My wife Felicia is outside. I know she’s looking forward to meeting you."

"Hi. I’m Julianna Ward."

"I’m so glad you could come. I’m sorry your mom and A.J. couldn’t make it."

"My mom has to take it easy. But they send their regards to everyone."

"A.J.?" Dillon spoke up. "As in A.J. Quartermaine?"

"That’s the one," Julianna answered.

"He’s here in Port Charles?"

"Yes. He’s here with my mom and me."

"Cool. I’ve heard of him, but we’ve never met. He’s my cousin."

Julianna looked at Michael who, with an overt nod, encouraged her to say whatever was on her mind.

"Well, then," she said quickly before she lost her nerve, "that means you and I are related, too."

*~*

Keesha’s eyes lit up with pleasure and excitement when A.J. escorted her into his suite and she saw how lovely it was decorated. She inhaled the sweet aroma of the roses and smiled.

"You did all this for me?"

"Well, I did have some help," A.J. confessed.

"But still. This was your idea?"

"Yes, it was."

"I love it, A.J. I really do."

Keesha helped him light the candles, and then they sat down on the divan. A.J. poured each of them a glass of sparkling cider and handed one to Keesha.

"I would like to propose a toast to you and to our daughter," A.J. said. "Thank you, Keesha, for raising Julianna to be so loving and caring and yet independent and strong, too. I see all of your amazing qualities in her, and I know that means she will be okay in this world."

"Don’t forget she’s inherited your amazing qualities, too."

A.J. laughed. "I don’t know what amazing qualities I have, but whatever they are, I hope those are the *only* ones she has inherited."

"I see a lot of you in her," Keesha insisted. "And as she got older, it was that much more difficult not to tell you she was your daughter. I wanted you to see her, A.J. I wanted you to know you had a daughter. But Julianna was so insistent that I not tell you, to the point of defiance. I would get upset with her, but when she would let her guard down, I saw how scared she was, and I would relent. I tried to find out why she was so fearful, but she would clam up. I couldn’t get a word out of her."

"It’s okay, Keesha. We’re in each other’s lives now. That’s all that matters."

"Do you think she’s doing okay at the barbecue? How do you think people will react if she does tell them you’re her father?"

"I believe our daughter is having a great time. I’m sure there will be gasps of shock and questions people will want to ask, but maybe some of them have suspected it, too."

"I wondered about that after seeing the questioning look on Bobbie’s face when she met us at the hospital."

"I have a confession to make. When I found out Julianna was my daughter, a lot of my old insecurities that I thought I had buried a long time ago, resurfaced. I began to question whether I would make a good father. I even questioned whether I deserved to be in her life. I wanted to get to know her, but I also wanted to shield her from having to deal with the fact that she was my daughter. Especially from my family."

"After all you’ve accomplished, A.J., why would you have those kinds of thoughts?"

"Because of Jason," he admitted honestly. "When Carly married me and then became pregnant by Sonny, everyone in my family knew the baby wasn’t mine. Do you know how that made me feel? Yes, part of it was because we lived with them and they saw our marriage for the sham it was, but another part of it, the bigger part, was that they *wanted* the baby Carly was carrying to be Jason’s, even though she was my wife."

"A.J., that’s horrible."

"But it’s also the truth. When we stepped into my parents’ home, I truly felt that they would be wishing it were Jason who had returned with Courtney and a child or two that they could fawn over. I feared how Julianna would be treated, and I vowed that she would never be considered second best by anybody, especially my family."

"You have to give Julianna the benefit of the doubt," Keesha said. "She’s smart, A.J., and she knows who she can trust. She can also take care of herself."

"I came to realize that very quickly, and that’s why I’m okay with her choosing to tell people she’s my daughter."

"Julianna loves you, A.J. I hope that’s enough for you."

"It is. Believe me, Keesha, knowing my daughter loves me and wants me to be in her life is more than I ever thought I would have. I will always be grateful to you and to our daughter. I hope you believe me. I don’t want you to feel guilty about *any* of the choices you have made."

Keesha nodded as she set her glass on the coffee table in front of her.

"I’m letting more and more of it go every day," she assured him. "I’m very grateful for the way things are working out. As much as Julianna was scared to have you in her life, I was just as frightened. You could’ve hated me, A.J., and you could’ve made our lives miserable. Thank you for being so understanding."

A.J. set his glass on the table and drew Keesha into the comfort of his strong arms. He kissed the top of her hair and then nestled her closer to him.

"I could never, ever hate you. You were the only friend I had when my world was crashing down around me. More than once. I will never forget all those times you were there for me. I’m just sorry I couldn’t be there for you when you needed me. But I also know I would’ve used you."

"I wouldn’t have let you use me. And believe *me* when I tell you that I have never needed you more than I do right now, and you are here for me. So neither one of us needs to feel guilty, okay?"

"Okay," A.J. agreed.

And then, by mutual agreement, they sealed their conversation with a slow, passionate, lingering kiss.

*~*

"Are you having a good time?" Skye asked Julianna.

She and Tom sat at one of the picnic tables with Julianna and Michael. Michael was enjoying his ribs; Julianna had taken several bites of her hamburger.

"Yes, I am. My father has told Mama and me about you and Tom. I’m glad we finally got to meet."

"We are, too," Skye assured the young girl. "You are every bit as lovely as your father told us you were."

Julianna lowered her eyes. "Thank you."

Just then, Brianna ran up to Julianna and began tugging on her arm.

"C’mon, Julianna. We’re gonna play hide and seek, and we want you to find us."

"Sweetie," Skye said, "Julianna hasn’t finished eating."

"Oh," Bri said, backing away. "Sorry."

"It’s okay," Julianna said, Brianna’s crestfallen face getting to her. "I’m full. I can eat more later."

"Really?" Brianna said, her dark eyes lighting up. "You’ll play with us?"

Julianna laughed. "Sure. Why not?"

Brianna grabbed her hand and began to race. "There’s about ten of us to find."

"Ten?!" Julianna exclaimed. "Michael! Help me!"

Skye and Tom laughed as Michael shook his head.

"I never get to finish a meal when I’m with her. What is up with that?"

*~*

"That was delicious," Keesha said, as A.J. poured her a cup of hot tea. "How did you know I’d been wanting filet mignon?"

"I didn’t, but when I saw it on the menu, I remembered how much you liked it. I checked the entire menu with Ellen, and she said you could eat the food I had selected and to enjoy it."

"I did. Every morsel, down to the last crumb of my New York style cheesecake. Thank you, A.J. This has been a perfect evening."

"You’re welcome. It’s been perfect for me, too."

"We’ve been having a great time keeping things light throughout dinner, but there is something serious I need to tell you."

"Go ahead."

"After talking with Julianna and Justus, I’ve added a codicil to my Will."

"Regarding me?"

Keesha nodded. "I’ve added a stipulation that if Julianna decides to be with you, at any time while she is still a minor, she will be allowed to live with you. Dara and Justus understand, and they won’t stand in her way."

"You know I would love to have our daughter with me, but what I really want, Keesha, is for you to pull through this."

"I know. But I have to make sure my affairs are in order, just in case."

A.J. nodded. "You amaze me, Keesha Ward. I’m very thankful I have this chance to be with you again."

"What did you think when you received my letter? You never told me."

"My first thought was that I was too shocked to think."

They shared a laugh.

"But once I realized the letter really was from you, memories like you wouldn’t believe came flooding back. I was truly overwhelmed. I remembered your passion for causes, and I thought, even hoped, that maybe you wanted to be a part of the Center I want to build in Philadelphia. When I arrived on your doorstep that day, that’s pretty much what I had on my mind. Plus, the whole idea of seeing you again after so many years did cause me to be a little apprehensive. But when that door opened, my life changed forever. And I knew you had sent me your letter for an entirely different reason."

"I’m so grateful you came to us, A.J."

"How could I not?" he asked, his voice husky with emotion. "You always gave to me, Keesha. You never took. How could I not honor the one request you ever made of me?"

"One request?" Keesha teased.

"Yes."

"Well, then, is it okay if I make another?"

"Make as many as your heart desires."

"Play some soft romantic music, A.J., and then dance with me. Please?"

*~*

"Julianna fits right in with everyone, doesn’t she?" Bobbie asked Monica as the two women helped Felicia clean up.

"It seems that way," Monica said, her voice wistful.

"What?" Bobbie asked. "I saw her talking to you and Alan earlier, so I just assumed..."

"No, she was fine with us. She’s such a darling girl. I just wish we could spend more time with her."

"What’s stopping you? Ask her out to lunch or to shop. Invite her over."

"I did, but I know Keesha is her first priority. She doesn’t want to commit to anything she might not be able to do."

"I know Keesha has a standing appointment with Ellen on Tuesday mornings. But other than that..."

"She said she would let me know. I think she wants to make sure Keesha is okay or that Keesha will be able to come."

"I think her reasons are legitimate. If she can do it, I bet she will spend more time with you."

"I hope you’re right. I really want to get to know my granddaughter. I think she’s a wonderful young girl."

"That’s the consensus," Emily said, joining the other ladies in the kitchen.

"Was there much talk about Julianna being A.J.’s daughter?" Monica asked, concern in her voice.

"Not that I heard. I think some people suspected."

"I started thinking that, too," Monica said.

"Mommy!" Brianna yelled, coming out of the family room. "You should hear Julianna. She’s singing to us!"

The adults converged on the family room and heard the dulcet tones coming from Julianna. She was entertaining the group of kids with songs she remembered when she was their ages. No one was more in awe of her talent than Michael.

"You’ve been holding out on me," he told her when they were alone.

"I didn’t mean to start singing," she confessed. "It just sorta came out when I heard the kids."

"You have a lovely voice," he complimented her.

"Thank you."

"You should talk to Brooke Lynn. It’s too bad she couldn’t be here. She might have signed you to a contract on the spot."

"I don’t want that!" Julianna said, horrified. "I sing purely for pleasure. It’s not what I want to do with my life."

"But if you have such a magnificent, God-given talent," Michael reasoned, "shouldn’t you share it with the world?"

*~*

"This has been wonderful," Keesha said.

She sighed contentedly as A.J. held her in his arms while they swayed to the soft jazzy beat of the music.

"I agree."

"But," she said, her tone conveying her disappointment, "I should be heading back to the house. I’m getting tired, and I want to make sure I can go to dinner tomorrow night."

"Then to the house you shall go."

They danced until the song ended, and then Keesha pulled back to look into A.J.’s compassionate eyes.

"One more request, if I may?"

"Of course you may."

"Stay with me again tonight?"

He smiled and cupped her face with his hands. "I’ll gladly grant you that request, Ms. Ward."

As Keesha continued to stare into his eyes, it took every ounce of her willpower not to tell him just how much she had fallen in love with him. Again. Or maybe still. It wouldn’t be fair, her mind cautioned, if she could never follow through after making such a declaration. But just because she determined not to utter the words at this particular time didn’t make them any less true. Would he ever know, she mused, and what would he do or say if she ever did get a chance to tell him?

Chapter 39 by pinkrose

Chapter 39

After spending most of the day with Julianna and Keesha, A.J. returned to the hotel to get ready for dinner at Nikolas and Gia's. About to leave the suite, he spotted Edward's letter on the counter. Folding the pages to return them to the envelope for safekeeping, A.J. remembered the one-page note he had not previously read. His eyes quickly scanned the familiar handwriting. After reading the words one more time slowly and deliberately, a perplexed and agitated A.J. stuffed the paper inside the envelope.

"*Why* did you have to do this, Grandfather?" he asked rhetorically and then sighed heavily. "You couldn't leave well enough alone, could you?"

A.J. reached for his cell phone to call Keesha.

"I have to make a phone call before I pick up you and Julianna. I'm sorry."

"That's okay. You sound upset. Is everything all right?"

"Not really. Remember the letter I told you my grandfather wrote to me?"

"Yes."

"I was putting it away, and I found another note I had seen but hadn't bother to read. Well, I just read it. You will not believe what I have to do."

"What is Edward making you do, A.J.?"

"His note stipulates that I have to get in touch with Ned. He has some important information for me."

"Do you have to do that tonight?"

"Now that I know about the note, I want to take care of whatever this is right away. I hope you understand."

"I do. I just don't want your night to be ruined."

"It won't," he assured her. "This will be the briefest conversation on record. I plan to be with you and our daughter within the hour."

"Good luck, A.J.," Keesha said sincerely.

"Thanks. I *know* I'm gonna need it."

A.J. didn't have Ned's phone number, but he got it from a shocked Emily, who couldn't believe her brother was actually going to call Ned.

"I can't believe I'm about to do this either."

"What's it all about?"

"I wish I knew, Em. Grandfather set this up. I just want it to be over."

"Call me if you need me."

"Thanks."

After punching in the numbers, A.J. cleared his throat and wore a path in the plush beige carpet as he waited for Ned or Alexis to answer the phone. When he finally heard his cousin's voice, he almost hung up.

"Hello?" Ned said for the second time, sounding impatient.

"Ned, this is A.J."

Silence passed between the line as A.J. waited for a response.

"Let me guess," Ned said. "You read Grandfather's note."

"Yes, I did."

"I heard you were in town. I wondered whether I would actually hear from you."

"I don't know what this is all about, but I don't want anything hanging over my head where you're concerned. So if you'll kindly tell me what Grandfather is talking about in his note..."

"Calm down, Junior."

A.J. started to bristle at his cousin's dismissive tone and then caught himself. Ned would not upset him. A.J. would not allow him to.

"What did Grandfather do?" A.J. asked.

"Something very nice, actually, considering the circumstances," Ned said. "But this isn't something we can talk about on the phone. Alexis and I need to see you."

"Why you and Alexis? What does Alexis have to do with any of this?"

"She helped Grandfather with something he wanted to do. If you can come to the house, we'll explain everything."

"I have a dinner engagement. How long will this take?" A.J. asked, suspicious.

"Not that long. It's not going to cause you any pain."

Having to be in Ned and Alexis' presence didn't exactly fill A.J. with joy.

"Fine. Are you available now? Give me directions to your place, and I'll be there soon."

In less than fifteen minutes, A.J. had arrived at Ned and Alexis' house. Their reunion was an awkward one, even if he could admit that his cousin and Alexis looked happy and in love. Grateful the quips were kept to a minimum, A.J. followed Alexis into the dining room where he saw a manila folder with his name on it. She put on her glasses and sat next to him at the cherry wood table.

"I know you're in a hurry," she began, "but this won't take long."

Ned took a seat next to his wife. They glanced at each other; Alexis nodded.

"A.J.," Ned began, "Alexis and I, we...we know about Julianna."

"Grandfather told you?" A.J. asked, sounding incredulous.

Ned nodded.

"Why?" A.J.’s tone demanded an answer.

"Because he wanted to take care of his great-granddaughter," Alexis explained. "And you and Keesha, too."

"How was he going to take care of us? And why did he come to you? I thought Justus handled his affairs?"

"Most of them," Ned acknowledged. "But Grandfather was thrilled to learn you had a daughter, A.J. I think he wanted someone else in the family to know the news."

"So he chose to tell you?!" A.J. exclaimed.

"We haven’t said a word to anyone," Alexis assured a seething A.J.

"Let’s get this over with," A.J. said, his blood pressure rising. "What did Grandfather say to you?"

Alexis slid the file folder in front of A.J.

"Read it for yourself. It’s all there in black and white. Maybe you’ll understand better why Edward chose to confide in Ned and me."

After casting a suspicious glance in their direction, A.J. sat back in the chair and opened the file. It turned out his grandfather had several more surprises for him.

"Julianna has a trust fund?"

"Yes, she does," Alexis confirmed. "She will get what Edward stipulated to starting when she’s eighteen."

"Julianna has a position waiting for her at ELQ, too," Ned said, "if she wants it. You and your daughter also have a place on the Board of Directors if either of you wants it."

"I can’t believe this," A.J. said, truly stunned. "Grandfather took care of everything, right down to making monthly donations to my Centers and providing anything Keesha needs."

"Grandfather wanted to make sure you and your family were well taken care of."

"I’ll have to think about this," A.J. said, running his fingers through his hair. "I haven’t taken one penny of the family’s money in a very long time. Considering that Grandfather was the one who cut me off to begin with..."

"He was very proud of you in the end, A.J."

"I don’t know if Keesha will want any of this. I have to tell her about this."

"The money is there, A.J.," Alexis said. "It will always be there. It’s for your daughter, Keesha and you."

Dazed, A.J. nodded and rose from the chair. "I have to think about this," he said, realizing he was repeating himself but still too stunned to say anything more coherent. "I have to talk to Keesha."

"The donations to your Centers will begin the moment you give us the word," Ned said. "And if Keesha needs anything..."

"I’ll be in touch," A.J. said, walking towards the front door.

"A.J.," Alexis said, catching up to him. "For better or worse, we are family, and you and Ned both have daughters. Brooke Lynn is here. Wouldn’t it be nice for her and Julianna to get to know each other as family? And when Kristina gets back from Greece, we’d like to get together with you and Keesha and Julianna. Don’t you think it’s time for Ned’s daughters and your daughter to get to know each other?"

*~*

"A.J., why are you so preoccupied?" Keesha asked.

They stood in the hallway waiting for Julianna.

"I have to tell you about my conversation with Ned, but it’ll have to wait until later."

"Was it that bad?"

"No, it wasn’t bad, just...shocking."

"I can’t wait to hear about it."

As soon as Julianna joined them, A.J.’s cell phone rang.

"Excuse me," he said, recognizing the number. "It’s Vincent. I’d better take this call."

"Of course," Keesha said.

"Hey, Vincent. What’s goin’ on?"

"I hate to bother you, A.J., but we have a situation brewing here in NYC."

"What’s the problem?"

"It’s a public relations nightmare."

"Can’t the PR department handle it?"

"They’ve been trying, A.J., but I’m afraid this needs your immediate attention. Is there any way you can come to Manhattan tonight or tomorrow?"

"This weekend?" he asked, looking at Keesha and Julianna. "To be honest, I’d rather not. Why don’t you tell me what the problem is? Maybe I can handle it from here."

"It concerns you, A.J., that’s why we really need you to be here."

"What are you talking about?"

"If you don’t do some quick and major damage control, boss, a New York Times reporter is ready to print a story in next Sunday’s edition claiming that the reason you have been MIA at the Center lately is because you’re back in rehab. And that your family is covering for you in Port Charles."

"What?!" A.J. yelled and then caught himself. "Look, I can’t discuss this right now. Tell Carol and Charlie to fax me everything they have on this to the Port Charles Hotel. Send me everything you can via e-mail, too. Tell Carol to try to set up a conference call, a video one if possible, for tomorrow with this so-called reporter. I want to know what caused this person to target me. Is it a man or a woman?"

"It’s a woman, and she’s claiming every time she’s asked you for an interview, you’ve declined or been suddenly unavailable."

"Have the PR department send me everything they can on this person. Find out if those allegations are true, and if they are, why was I shielded from this person? This is the last thing I need, Vincent."

"I know, but the truth will win out, right? I mean, it has to."

"We can only hope."

*~*

"You’re going to be up all night, aren’t you?" Keesha asked A.J. as he drove them to Nikolas and Gia’s house.

"I hope not. I want to believe it’s just a misunderstanding that can be cleared up without too much time and effort on my part."

"Did you know that your PR department wasn’t telling you about all the interviews?" Julianna asked.

"My staff does a good job at keeping things reasonable for me. I know we don’t honor every request, but I don’t know why this particular reporter from the New York Times would be on their ‘grant no interviews’ list."

"And that’s why you’ll be up all night," Keesha said. "Because you have to get to the bottom of this, A.J. You cannot let *anyone* think for a moment you’ve been in rehab this whole time."

"I’ll take care of it," he said, squeezing her hand. "Believe me, I will."

*~*

"Your house is beautiful," Keesha gushed, after Nikolas and Gia and the children gave them the grand tour.

"Thank you," Gia said and smiled.

"It’s not Wyndemere," A.J. said, "but then again, I doubt you would want it to be, right?"

"What’s Wyndemere?" Julianna asked.

"Can we tell her, Papa?" Nikolas’ son asked his father.

"Yes, please, Papa," Sonya chimed in. "We have pictures and everything!"

Nikolas laughed. "Are you sure you want to know about Wyndemere?" he asked Julianna, his dark eyes teasing.

"Yes," she said and laughed. "It sounds intriguing."

"It is that," Gia said and shook her head.

"Come on," Sonya said, reaching for Julianna’s hand. "Nicky and I will tell you all about our grandfather’s home."

"And about our father’s horse Sheba, too!"

"Okay," Julianna said, letting the children lead her into their father’s den, where they knew they could sit on the floor near the fireplace and look at the photo albums as long as they didn’t disturb anything on his desk.

"They are so adorable," Keesha said.

"They’re very close to Stefan," Nikolas explained. "For which I’m grateful."

"So they spend a lot of time at Wyndemere?" A.J. asked.

"A fair amount," Gia said. "Enough so that they like talking about it, and it doesn’t spook them."

The adults had retreated to the living room and were making themselves comfortable.

"Keesha," Gia said, "I’m so happy I finally got to meet you. But I’m sorry about your illness."

"Thank you. It’s nice to meet you, too. Nikolas’ eyes just lit up when he talked about you and the children. I’m glad we could get together."

"And you," Gia said, turning her attention to A.J. "I can’t believe you didn’t keep in touch with us."

"I couldn’t, Gia. I’m sorry. I hope you understand."

"Yeah, I do," she said, her features softening into a smile. "Your daughter is so beautiful," she continued, directing her comment to Keesha and A.J. "Nikolas and I wondered how you were faring after the news about Sonny and Carly and then Michael’s paternity. We’re glad you came back, A.J., even if you don’t stay."

"Thanks."

"Even under the circumstances, Keesha, I hope you’re able to enjoy spending time with Dara and Justus," Nikolas said.

"I am. It’s been better than I thought it would be, but I have to be honest. Port Charles doesn’t feel like home. I miss Philadelphia. I hope to return to my house. One of these days."

"I talked to Ellen yesterday, but there’s no news, Keesha. I’m sorry."

"It’s not your fault, Nikolas. I understand it’s all about timing."

"Speaking of timing," Gia said, "I’d better check on dinner."

"I can help," Keesha offered.

"Thank you, but you sit there and relax. I have everything under control."

Just then the children came bursting into the living room, followed by Julianna, wanting to know if she could ride a horse with them some time.

"Do you ride, Julianna?" Nikolas asked.

"No, but Sonya said I could ride a calm horse."

"Starlight, Papa. Can’t Julianna ride her?"

"We have to get her used to the idea of being around horses first," he explained.

"Do you wanna?" Nicky asked, his dark eyes so much like his father’s pleading with her.

She smiled. "I’d like to try."

"After dinner," Nikolas said, "we’ll show Julianna the stables and the horses for just a little while."

"Then you come back and ride with us," Sonya said, clapping her hands together in delight.

"I’ll see if I can," Julianna said.

"C’mon," Nicky said, leading the charge. "We’ll show you pictures of Starlight. You’ll love her."

"That's great you're able to have horses on your property with enough room to ride. Maybe our daughter will become an equestrian," A.J. quipped.

Keesha laughed, but she couldn’t help but notice the worry on A.J.’s face. She wished there was something she could do to help him. Since she didn’t know what she could do to ease his stress, she squeezed his arm to let him know she was there for him. A.J. smiled to let her know he appreciated and understood the gesture.

*~*

Light conversation took place at the dining room table, which helped to keep the mood jovial.

"A little birdie told me you are a wonderful singer," Gia said to Julianna, halfway through the meal.

Julianna lowered her head in embarrassment.

"Was this little birdie at the barbecue last night?" Keesha asked.

Gia nodded and laughed.

"But seriously, I’d love to hear you sing."

"We would, too," Nicky and Sonya said in unison.

"No, please, don’t ask me," Julianna said. "I’m never singing in public again."

"Nikolas said you’re practically running L&B Records," A.J. said to Gia.

"I am, and I love every minute of it, except when I have to be away from my family."

"Do you travel much?" Keesha asked.

"More than I want to," Gia said. "But it’s exciting when we discover new talent."

"Brooke Lynn is learning more and more about the business," Nikolas said. "Gia’s going to have her do more of the traveling."

"Yes," Gia said. "I’m getting too old for this."

Nikolas laughed and affectionately rubbed his wife’s back.

"You’re not old," he said, giving her a kiss on her cheek.

"Some days I feel old," she said.

"I can relate to that," Keesha said, her voice more somber than she intended.

A.J. drew Keesha closer to him. She looked at him and smiled.

"What about you, Julianna?" Nikolas asked. "Do you think you’ll follow in your mother’s footsteps and become a nurse? I’ll make sure you have a job at GH if you do.  Or maybe you'll follow in your paternal grandparents' footsteps and become a doctor?"

"No way!" Julianna said, shaking her head in disgust.

The look of horror on her face made the adults laugh.

"Why so adamant?" Gia asked, her curiosity genuine.

"I admire my mother for becoming a nurse, but I don’t want anything to do with hospitals, doctors, Emergency Rooms, blood, needles. None of that gory stuff. My mother’s illness has just reinforced my distaste for anything to do with pain and sickness. I can’t stand any of it."

"And yet, you have to depend on all of that so your mother can get well," Gia said, understanding the irony of Julianna's feelings.

"Right. But once my mother is well, I never want to see a hospital again!"

"I understand," Nikolas said.

A.J. had a sudden flashback of Jason saying the same thing after the accident that had caused his brain damage and then another time after he had been shot. He didn’t allow himself to dwell on Jason’s words or how much his daughter had sounded like her uncle at that moment.

"Do you know what you might like to do for a career?" Gia asked.

"I want to work with children," Julianna said, looking at Nikolas and Sonya and smiling at them. "That much I do know."

"I think that’s wonderful," Gia said.

Nikolas quickly agreed.

"I can tell you that our children adore you," Gia said. "I can see it in their eyes."

"They are great kids," Julianna said, her voice wistful.

Nikolas and Sonya looked at each other and giggled.

"You hafta spend more time with us," Sonya declared.

"I’d like that," Julianna said, ruffling Nicky's dark hair with her slender fingers. "I’d like that very much."

*~*

After dinner, Gia stayed with Keesha and A.J. while Nikolas and the children escorted Julianna to the stables. They hadn’t been out there very long when the phone rang.

"Excuse me," Gia said.

"Of course."

She returned a moment later, looking concerned.

"I have to get Nikolas. That call is for him."

"Sure," A.J. said.

Gia raced to the stables and told her husband he had a phone call. A few minutes later, Nikolas hung up the phone and walked into the living room, looking very serious.

"What is it?" A.J. asked. "Is everything okay?"

"That was Ellen," Nik said. "She’s on her way to the hospital. A liver has just become available and, Keesha, you are the most likely candidate on the list to be a match."

Chapter 40 by pinkrose

Chapter 40

Keesha, A.J. and Julianna arrived at General Hospital in record time. Julianna had called Dara and Justus, who appeared shortly after with Keesha's bag. As soon as a baby-sitter could be arranged, Nikolas and Gia planned to be at the hospital.

Ellen greeted and led them to the room she had reserved for Keesha. Two nurses, two orderlies and a doctor, who was in a wheelchair, waited for them.

"This is Dr. Matt Harmon," Ellen said, unable to keep the pride from her voice. "He assists me with any liver transplant operation, and he just happens to be my husband."

"Hello," he greeted them.

"We're going to give you some privacy with Regina and Katie," Ellen said. "Then we need to run a few tests to see if you're a match."

"And if I am?" Keesha asked, finally voicing the question that had been plaguing her since Ellen's phone call.

"We get you ready for surgery," Ellen said. "I know that statement is over-simplified. I will answer all your questions once we know if you are a match, okay?"

Keesha nodded.

Ellen asked that the room be cleared except for the nurses. Julianna hugged and kissed her mother and told her she had a good feeling about all of this.

A.J. squeezed Keesha's hand and gave her a kiss on her cheek. Keesha reluctantly let go of his hand and watched him and their daughter leave the room.

A few minutes later, the orderlies wheeled Keesha to the lab for her tests. Julianna, A.J., Dara and Justus waited anxiously for her return. Nikolas and Gia caught up with them after Nikolas had spoken briefly to Ellen while the technician was working on Keesha.

"According to Ellen, everything is on track," Nik told them.

"Mama's going to be fine," Julianna said. "I don't know why I feel that way, but I do."

A.J. smiled at his daughter and told her to keep the positive thoughts flowing.

"Ellen asked me to tell you that you'll be able to stay with Keesha until she goes in to surgery if she's a match. We have a room set up for people who are waiting while the transplant surgery is taking place. It's equipped with long couches so you can sleep if you want to. There's a TV in there and all the snacks and beverages you want."

"That's pretty amazing," A.J. said. "I was expecting to have to sit on one of those hard plastic chairs for a few hours."

"Not for these kinds of operations. Ellen has thought of everything for this program."

*~*

Within the hour, the orderlies returned Keesha to her room. Julianna and A.J. stepped inside after Ellen told them they should know the results very soon.

"You rest, okay?" Ellen said, placing her hand on Keesha's shoulder.

She nodded.

"I still can't believe this is actually happening," Keesha said to her daughter and A.J., once they were alone. "I feel like I'm dreaming and any second I'll wake up in my bed."

"This is real, Mama," Julianna said, squeezing her hand. "You might be getting a new liver!"

Keesha looked at A.J., who noticed that idea didn't seem to be comforting her.

"I have so many questions," she finally said. "I thought I was prepared for this, but now I realize I'm not. The tests to determine if I'll be able to receive the liver were relatively simple, and yet, my life hangs in the balance. A big dose of reality hit me in the lab. This may be my only chance. What happens if it doesn't work?"

A.J. hated seeing Keesha torture herself when he knew she didn't have all the information she needed.

"Do you want me to get Ellen?" he asked. "I'll demand that she answer all your questions, whether or not you go in for surgery. You should know everything about what you're facing, Keesha. You shouldn't have to be guessing like this."

"No, it's okay," Keesha said. "I was just thinking out loud. I know Ellen will explain everything to me when the time is right."

*~*

Justus spotted Ellen walking briskly down the corridor holding a file folder in her hand. He thought he saw the beginnings of a smile on her face.

"You have the results?" Nikolas asked as soon as she got near enough to hear him.

"Yes."

She waved the file folder in the air.

"It's a go. I'm going to answer all of Keesha's questions and then get her ready for surgery. Matt is already preparing the operating room."

With broad smiles on their faces even as they knew there were risks involved, Dara and Justus hugged each other; Nikolas and Gia did the same.

"Keesha gets her second chance," Dara said to her husband, who continued to hold his wife in his arms.

"No one deserves it more," he said. "C'mon, Lil Bit. We know you can do this. We're all pulling for you."

*~*

Ellen entered Keesha's room and delivered the good news to her.

"Mama!" Julianna exclaimed. "The transplant is really going to happen!"

"That's wonderful news," A.J. said, looking at Keesha whose reaction concerned him very much.

"I'm going to answer all of your questions," Ellen said to Keesha, "and then the nurses will get you ready for surgery. You'll have some time to spend with your family in between. Okay?"

Keesha nodded.

Ellen pulled up a chair and sat next to her anxious patient's bed.

"Ask me whatever questions are on your mind."

"A while back, Dr. Williams mentioned that if I had a liver transplant, I'd have to be on anti-rejection medication immediately following the surgery."

"That's true. We get you started on that medication as soon as you come out of the operating room."

"How long do I have to take it?"

"In one form or another, you'll be on the medication the rest of your life."

"What...what if it doesn't work? What if my body rejects the new liver?"

"That could, and I should tell you, probably will happen. Your immune system won't recognize the new organ. It'll think it's a foreign body and will try to destroy it. That's why we start you on the medication as soon as the operation is over. Once the medication gets into your body, your immune system will realize what's happening and will accept the new liver. At least, that is always our hope and our goal."

"How long will I be in the hospital?"

"It varies, depending on how well and how soon you recover, but I would plan to be here at least two weeks following the surgery. Three weeks is not unreasonable, but hopefully, you will not have to be in the transplant recovery unit for that amount of time. That is where you will be taken after the surgery. Regina and Katie are two of my best nurses. They are very familiar with liver transplant operations, and they know how to monitor you and what to look for. You will have a nurse with you at all times the first few days of your recovery. There will be other nurses who will be with you. They all have experience in transplant surgery."

"Will my family be able to visit me?"

"Once you're coherent. You are going to be out of it for the first few days, Keesha, and we will be closely monitoring you. Your visitations will be very limited if they occur at all."

Keesha nodded. "I understand."

"The surgery itself will take anywhere from six to twelve hours, depending on how it goes once we get you on the operating table."

Keesha's body shuddered at the thought; Ellen immediately massaged her back to try to calm her.

"I know it's scary to hear the details of what you will be enduring, but this operation is your best chance of survival."

"I guess I'm having a hard time letting myself imagine that I will actually be in an operating room. Every time I've let myself think about having a transplant, I always stopped my mind before it could think about what I would have to endure. Hearing you talk about the operating room caused me to shiver. I've never let myself picture it, and now I'll be in there. Soon. I know that anything can happen on that table, too. I...I've been thinking about death a lot lately, for whatever reason. I'm afraid I'm not going to..." Keesha choked on the words but she had to get one of her utmost fears out in to the open. "I'm terrified I'm going to die on the operating table. What assurances can you give me that won't happen?"

"Mama!!" Julianna exclaimed, hating that her mother had been carrying around that horrible fear.

Now A.J. understood the terror he saw on Keesha's face at Nikolas' house and since she'd been in the hospital.

"It's a valid question, Julianna," Ellen explained. "I would question you not having that concern," she said, returning her attention to her patient. "You're right, Keesha. Anything can happen once you're on the operating table, but there are many things working in your favor. You have a top-notch medical team performing this surgery. I'm proud to say we know what we're doing and we have had successful transplant surgeries where the patients have gone on to live long, healthy, productive lives. You will be monitored at all times, at all times, while you are in the operating room and in the recovery unit. You will not be left alone, and the nurses will know how to take care of any need that may arise. This is what they are trained to do. The other biggest factor in your favor is you. You have managed to keep yourself as healthy as you could, under the circumstances, and I am pleased to say you are very strong right now and very ready to endure this operation. If I thought there was any weakness in your body or your mind that would hinder us or that would prevent you from having the best chance of survival, I would have bypassed you. Physically, you are in the best shape you can be. I also believe, despite the very normal fears and doubts you are expressing, you are mentally and emotionally ready as you ever will be to have this operation. Am I wrong? If I am, you need to tell me now."

"No," Keesha said, realizing she did want to have this operation, "you are not wrong. I do want this operation. I want this chance to have my life back and to be healthy again."

Ellen smiled and patted Keesha's arm. "That's what I thought, but I needed you to say it. Any other questions?"

"No. Let's get me prepared to receive a new liver."

"That's what I like to hear. I'm going to give Regina and Katie their instructions. They're going to take your vitals so we know everything is on track before we start, and then they'll start the sedation process. When they see that you are starting to relax but not going to sleep, they'll inform the anesthesiologist who will be in to talk with you. When he's answered any questions you may have, he'll complete your sedation, monitor you for a few minutes to make sure your heartbeat and breathing are normal, and then the orderlies will take you to the operating room."

"Will I see you again before I'm taken into surgery?"

"Yes. I'll be here with the anesthesiologist."

Keesha nodded and thanked Ellen for helping to put her at ease.

"No problem. Visit with your family while I get things organized."

"I'm guessing things will start to happen pretty fast," Keesha said, still not comfortable with what she was facing.

Uncertainty loomed before her and she didn't like it. Not one bit.

After A.J. left the room to give mother and daughter time alone, Julianna sat on the edge of Keesha's bed and held her hands. "Are you okay with this, Mama? I hate that you're scared."

"I'm okay," she tried to reassure her daughter. "I've just lived with this for so long. I let my mind go places it never should've been allowed to go."

"I love you so much," Julianna said, drawing her mother into a loving embrace. She never wanted to let her go. "I wish I could be with you in the operating room so I could tell you that everything will be okay. Because I believe it will be. I'm going to be sending you my positive, loving thoughts. Take my love for you with you into the operating room, okay? I'm always with you, Mama. Never forget that. Please."

"My beautiful daughter," Keesha said, hugging her tightly to her. "I don't want you to ever forget how very much you mean to me. I love you so much, Julianna. I want only the best for you. Never let anyone take away your dreams, baby girl. And always be true to yourself. I know there are great things in store for you, sweetheart, and I want you to experience every last one of them. Never, ever, ever forget how much I love you and how much you mean to me. You'll always be with me, Julianna. Wherever I am. You'll be there. I'll always watch over you. I promise you I will."

Keesha let Julianna's strength and love minister to her. Julianna allowed herself a few precious moments to bask in her mother's pure and genuine love for her. When they broke apart, Julianna dabbed at her mother's eyes with a tissue.

"You need one, too," Keesha said.

"I know. I'll be right back, Mama. I promise I will."

Julianna fled the room, needing fresh air.

Dara and Justus walked into Keesha's room to wish her the very best and to make sure she knew that they would be watching out for Julianna while A.J. went in search of his daughter. He found her outside, near the Emergency Room entrance, leaning back against the concrete wall.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

She turned to look at him and nodded.

"Why did you leave your mother's room so abruptly?"

"Hearing Mama talk about her fears made me realize this is really happening. This is it, Daddy. This is the chance we've prayed for, and yet, what if…what if it doesn't work?"

"Come here, sweetheart," he said, holding out his arms so he could hold her close to him. "You've been so positive throughout this ordeal. You need to keep that attitude, Julianna. This is when your mom needs our support the most. We have to will her to make it through the operation and to make sure her body accepts the new liver. We can't give up now. This is when we have to be at our strongest."

She nodded and looked at her father with love shining in her eyes. "When we first found out about Mama's condition, I never thought you would be a part of this," she admitted. "And now I can't imagine you not being with us. Go see her, Daddy. I know Mama wants to see you before she goes into surgery. I just want a few minutes alone, but I'm fine. Really. I am. I know everything is going to be fine. Tell Mama I love her. So very, very much."

*~*

After Justus and Dara shared heartfelt hugs and words of encouragement and love with Keesha, they left to allow A.J. a few minutes alone with her.

"Julianna is fine," he said as soon as he entered Keesha's room. "I don't want you to worry for one second about her, okay? She said to tell you she loves you very, very, very much."

Keesha nodded and motioned for A.J. to sit on her bed.

"Thank you for that," she said. "Justus and Dara have assured me they are going to keep a close eye on her. I know you're going to watch out for her, too, while I'm in surgery."

"And beyond," he said, taking her hand and intertwining it with his. "I'm going to take care of both of you."

She smiled. "That sounds nice."

Suddenly, her expression turned serious as she studied his handsome face. "A.J., I need to say something before they put me out, and I don't want you to stop me. I have to say this in case I don't make it. Don't," she said, when she knew he would protest her choice of words. "Please, honey. Let me say the words."

A.J. nodded even as he reminded himself they would have plenty of time for heartfelt, and hopefully lighthearted, conversations after her surgery.

"Even though I have not been feeling my best since you arrived, I have thoroughly enjoyed the time we've spent together. Thank you for all the special things you have done for me and Julianna since you've been here. I've loved each and every one of them. Having you here has made such a difference in my life and in Julianna's. Whenever I would imagine my future and dealing with the possibility that has been afforded to me now, I never allowed myself to think you might be a part of this. And yet, here you are. You have come to mean so much to me. Again. Or maybe still. I don't know. I go back and forth on that one. All I know is that you have made things so much easier for me and our daughter. I can never repay you for that, A.J. All I can do is thank you from the bottom of my heart and hope you know how very much you mean to me."

She stopped short of declaring her love for him only because she didn't honestly know what the future held. She hated the uncertainty, but she loved the hope she felt in her heart. She prayed A.J. could see beyond her words and know what was written on her heart. She had never loved him more.

"Hold me," she said, knowing that any moment they would tell her it was time to go to surgery.

She needed to feel his strong, protective arms around her one more time. She needed to draw from his strength and know that he understood what she had been trying to say.

Wordlessly, he gently held her in his loving arms, wishing they could freeze time so she would never leave him. He made a decision and when he spoke, it was as if he were whispering in her ear so only she could hear.

"I have something I need to say to you, too."

"What is it?" she asked, clinging tighter to him.

"These circumstances are not the way I would have imagined any possible reunion for us, but since this is the reality, I'm thankful I'm here and that you let me back into your life and Julianna's. I love you, Keesha Ward, and this time, I am not letting you go."

"You love me," she said.

Happiness consumed her even as the tears spilled down each cheek.

"With all my heart," he confirmed.

Keesha let the tears fall as she decided no other words needed to be spoken. She needed this release, and she knew A.J. understood. She rested in his arms, knowing that no matter what the future held, she could honestly say everything she had done she had done for love. And she could also freely and honestly admit she knew she had the love of a good man. Despite what she would soon be facing, she realized her world had never looked brighter.

 

Chapter 41 by pinkrose

Chapter 41

After sealing their conversation with a soulful kiss that made Keesha sigh with contentment, she tensed, for just a moment in A.J.'s arms, when she saw Regina and Katie enter the room, but then, knowing what was about to happen, she resigned herself to the inevitable. She reluctantly pulled away from A.J., who turned at the sound of Katie's voice.

"Sorry to interrupt," the petite, dark-haired Asian woman said, "but we need to take your vitals. Regina will be recording them for Dr. Burgess-Harmon."

Keesha nodded. A.J. was about to leave the room when Keesha asked Regina if he could stay. She looked to Katie who nodded her assent.

"You're going to sedate me after you take my vitals, right?" Keesha asked.

"That's right," Regina, a young nurse with skin the color of milk chocolate and red highlights in her neatly styled hair, answered.

"Then I know my daughter won't come near my room," she said with a small laugh.

"If the nurses will let me, I'll stay," A.J. offered.

"You can stay," Katie confirmed.

Half an hour later, Keesha's body began to feel very light and very relaxed.

"Is the medication taking effect?" Katie asked.

Keesha nodded.

"Good. I'll let Dr. Burgess-Harmon know."

Regina stayed with Keesha and checked her pulse while Katie informed Ellen that the sedation process had begun. Ellen entered the room with the anesthesiologist, a tall, handsome man with cat green eyes and graying temples.

"Keesha, this is Dr. Brad Lyons. He's your anesthesiologist."

"Nice to meet you, Keesha," he said.

He offered a kind smile to her and to A.J.

"You look very relaxed," he said.

"I am," Keesha confirmed.

"Excellent. I'm going to make sure the medicine is not having any adverse effects on you. Under my supervision, the nurses will give you one more dose that will put you completely out. I'll monitor you for a few minutes, and then the orderlies will wheel you into the OR. I will be with you at all times. You will never be awake while on the operating table, and you will feel no pain at any time during the operation."

Keesha nodded.

"Are you ready?" Ellen asked.

"May I see my daughter one more time before you put me out?"

"Of course," Ellen said.

A.J. escorted a visibly anxious Julianna into the room. She stood next to her mother's bed. Keesha reached for her hands and held them tightly in hers.

"I just had to see you one more time. Keep those positive thoughts flowing for me, baby girl. I love you, Julianna. With all my heart."

"I love you, too, Mama," she said, and kissed her mother's hands. "Take good care of my mother," she ordered the medical personnel in the room.

"We will," Ellen said, giving Julianna's shoulders a gentle squeeze.

"Come on, sweetheart," A.J said, placing his arm around his daughter's back. "We need to let them get your mother into surgery."

"We love you, Mama," Julianna said, after she and A.J. stopped at the doorway to look at Keesha one more time.

"Yes, we do," A.J. confirmed. "So very much."

Keesha waved to both of them as they left the room.

A few minutes later, her world went dark.

*~*

Julianna stayed by her father's side as Nikolas led the group to the waiting room that had been set up for them. As they settled in for the long wait, conversation was almost nil. Thoughts and hopes for Keesha occupied their thoughts.

After an hour had passed, one of the longest any of them could remember, A.J. motioned to Nikolas that he wanted to talk to him privately.

"I'll be right back, Julianna," he assured his daughter. "I just want to ask Nikolas a question."

*~*

"What's up?" Nik asked once they had stepped outside the room.

"I know the hospital has patient confidentiality laws, but will Keesha ever know whose liver she has?"

"No, she won't. At least, she won't learn that information from us. If Keesha wants to know about her liver donor, we can tell her only very minimal information."

The beep of Nikolas' Blackberry interrupted their conversation. He quickly scanned the text and frowned.

"I need to run to my office for a minute. I'll be right back. Something else has just come up."

A.J. nodded.

*~*

Nikolas entered his office and reached for the phone to dial the "212" area code phone number the answering service had given him.

"Vincent Martinez," a strong male voice said.

"Mr. Martinez, this is Nikolas Cassadine, administrator for General Hospital, returning your call. What can I do for you?"

"Mr. Cassadine, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I'm the director for the Goals, Achievements and Successes Center in Manhattan. I work for A.J. Quartermaine, and I need your help."

"A.J. is here at the hospital. Do you need to talk to him?"

"Actually, I'd rather not bother him if I don't have to. My understanding is that very soon, probably as early as Monday morning, you are going to be served with a subpoena for A.J.'s medical records. Is there any way you can quash that legal document?"

"Yes," Nik answered without hesitation. "Medical records are private unless the person involved has signed a release. To my knowledge, A.J. has not signed any such release. I can take care of any subpoena that crosses my desk."

"Thank you, Mr. Cassadine. This is a big relief to me."

"No problem. Thank you for giving me warning about this situation. I am curious, though. If I may ask, who is interested in A.J.'s medical records? Does this person realize he hasn't lived here in eleven years?"

"Yes. There's a story brewing that the reason A.J. returned to Port Charles is because he started drinking again. A certain newspaper reporter believes his family hospitalized him at General Hospital and is keeping the truth from everyone. This vindictive person is determined to find some dirt on A.J. to discredit him. Why, I have no idea. But this situation is rapidly getting out of control. When I heard about the subpoena..."

"You can rest assured I will take care of it. You should tell this reporter to find some real news to write about."

Vincent sighed. "I'd like to tell her more than that."

"I can imagine," Nik empathized.

"Speaking of being curious, you mentioned A.J. being at the hospital. I hope everything's okay."

"Do you know about Keesha?"

"Yes, I do. Did something happen to her?"

"At this moment, she is undergoing her liver transplant."

"Oh, man. That's excellent. But I'm sure very nerve-wracking, too. I'll let A.J. get in touch with me when he can. Thanks for your help, Mr. Cassadine. I appreciate it very much."

"You're welcome. Since I believe we will be talking again, please call me Nikolas. Let me give you my private number, too."

Nikolas recited the phone number.

"Great. I got it. And, please, call me Vincent."

"Will do. I'll be in touch."

"Thanks again."

After hesitating for a few minutes, Nikolas made the difficult decision. He grabbed the receiver and quickly punched in the numbers from his Rolodex.

"Dr. Quartermaine? This is Nikolas at GH."

"Nikolas!" Alan said, his voice frantic. "I'm so glad you called. Bobbie just told us that Keesha is having her liver transplant operation. Monica and I tried to call A.J. on his cell, but, of course, if he's at the hospital, which I presume he is, the call wouldn't go through. We left him a message, but..."

"A.J. is here. I'm calling on another matter, actually, but yes, Keesha is in the OR and so far, things are going fine. Are you and Monica on your way here?"

"We'd like to be there, but we weren't sure if we should show up unannounced."

"I'm sure it's fine," Nikolas said. "When you arrive, though, I'd like to see you and your wife in my office first. There's an urgent matter I need to discuss with you."

"We're on our way."

*~*

"Do you think that text Nikolas got was about Mama, and he didn't want to say anything?" Julianna asked A.J., her voice anxious. "He's been gone for a while."

"I'm sure it wasn't," Gia rushed to assure a very concerned Julianna. "Do you want me to go to his office to find out what's going on?" she asked the others.

"No, it's okay," Justus said. "I'm sure Nikolas is always putting out fires. If something bad were going on with Keesha, I know he would be here."

Dara and A.J. nodded in agreement.

"Why don't we go for a walk?" A.J. suggested to his daughter. "I'd like to step outside for a minute and check my cell phone. Come with me?"

Julianna nodded. "Let's go to the patio. Please come get us if you hear any news," she urged Dara and Justus.

"We will, honey," Dara said. "Enjoy the fresh air."

*~*

As soon as A.J. and Julianna stepped onto the patio, the refreshing warm night air hit both of them.

"It's such a beautiful night," Julianna said, looking up at the hundreds of stars that seemed to be twinkling at her against the black velvet sky.

She refused to give up hope. She continued to hold steadfast to the belief that her mother's operation was going well.

A.J. agreed, but when Julianna looked at him, she could tell he was distracted.

"Are you calling your office in Manhattan?" she asked.

"Yes. I'm canceling the video conference for tomorrow. That reporter can say or print whatever she wants. Defending my sobriety is not my priority right now."

"But it should be, Dad," Julianna said seriously. "Mama wouldn't want you to not follow through with your plan of action."

"I'm not giving up or in," he assured her, "but this situation can wait another day or two. The truth is on my side, sweetheart. For once in my life, I have absolutely nothing to hide."

Julianna could tell how much it meant to her father to be able to say those words. She smiled at him as he talked with Vincent, who understood completely.

"I didn't expect this to be so easy," A.J. said.

"I'm working on a couple of things at this end," Vincent said. "I tried to call you earlier, but it went right to your voice mail."

"I'm at the hospital. Keesha is having her liver transplant operation. I'll try to check my cell as much as I can, but I can't promise it'll be often."

"No problem. I understand. You just be there for Keesha and your daughter. I'll take care of things here."

"Thanks, Vincent. I really appreciate all you are doing for me and the Center."

"No problem. I know you're going to reward me handsomely."

Vincent laughed, but A.J. assured him he planned to do exactly that.

"Just concentrate on Keesha and Julianna. The rest will take care of itself."

While A.J. had a moment, he decided to call Skye and Emily to let them know about Keesha. Skye told A.J. she and Tom were on their way to the hospital. Emily told A.J. she and Zander would be there, too, since the twins were spending the night at Liz and Lucky's house.

"We're going to be having more company," A.J. said to his daughter when he ended his calls. "Skye and Tom and Emily and Zander are on their way."

"That's so nice they want to be with us. I just checked my cell phone. Michael left me a message. Is it okay if he comes, too?"

"Is that what he said? He wants to be here?"

"Sort of. He said Bobbie called him at his dad's place. They were just hanging out with Lucas. Michael said his father wanted to come here, and Michael asked me if it would be okay if he came, too. Is it okay, Daddy? Can I tell him he can come?"

A.J. smiled at his daughter and smoothed her hair. "You really like him, don't you?"

"Yeah, I do. As a friend," she quickly clarified, unwilling to discuss her deepening and confusing feelings for Michael with her father. "He makes me laugh, and he's been a great friend to me."

"I think it would be nice if he were here."

"Thanks. I'm going to call him now. Is it okay if I wait for him here?"

"Sure. I'll head back to the waiting room. If there's any news, I'll let you know."

*~*

Once Julianna was alone, she quickly called Michael at his father's house and smiled when she heard his voice.

"Hey," she said, trying to sound upbeat. "I got your message."

"Jule! I'm so glad you called me back. I didn't think I'd hear from you for a while. How's your mom?"

"She's in the operating room. I'm believing everything is going well, and since we haven't heard anything to the contrary..."

"I hope it was okay that my grandmother told us."

"It's fine. If you still want to come here, Michael, my dad said it's okay."

"Yeah," Michael said, even as a few of his own fears took root, "I'd like to be there with you. At least for a while."

"I'd like it if you were here," she said sincerely.

"I'll let my dad know. We'll probably leave in a little bit."

"Okay. Do you know where the patio is near the cafeteria?"

"I think I do. If I don't, my dad does. Is that where you are?"

"Yes."

"I'll see you soon."

"Thanks, Michael."

After Julianna turned off her cell phone, she held it against her heart for a few moments while she took the time to look up at the star-filled night sky.

"You guys are still twinkling at me," she said. "I'm taking that as a good sign. Michael's going to be here soon. I can't wait."

Then she offered up a silent prayer of thanks.

"I know You're watching out for Mama. Otherwise, I know I wouldn't be feeling this peaceful. Thank you."

*~*

"You're sure about this?" Tony asked his son as they readied themselves to make the trek to the hospital.

"Yes. I want to be there for Julianna."

"Even though you're working yourself into a major panic attack right before my eyes."

"I know I said I would never step foot into GH again after Mom died, but I just...I want to be there for Julianna."

"She must be one very special young lady."

"She is. You have to meet her tonight."

"I'd like to very much, but my first priority is making sure you are okay."

"I'll be all right," he assured his dad.

"Remember to keep breathing," Tony said as he followed his son out the door.

*~*

Thinking it was going to be Monica and Alan when there was a knock on his door, Nikolas stood up from his chair. He smiled when he saw his wife walk in.

"Nikolas," Gia said and pouted, "we feel abandoned by you. What's going on? Is there something happening with Keesha that you don't want us to know about?"

"No," Nikolas said, taking his concerned wife into his arms and holding her while they kissed.

He continued to answer her question after their all-too-brief kiss ended.

"Right now, I'm involved in a situation concerning A.J. I'm waiting for Alan and Monica to arrive."

"What's going on with A.J.?"

"A newspaper reporter has it in for him, apparently. She's threatening to write a story that A.J. has taken up drinking again and that his family is hiding him here in the hospital."

"Nikolas, that's horrible!"

"I know. And the timing couldn't be worse. With Ellen working on Keesha, I made the decision to call Alan. He's no longer chief of staff, but he is still tied to this hospital. Maybe among Alan, Monica and me, we can figure out the best course of action to take. I haven't said anything to A.J., and I don't want you to either."

"Don't worry, honey. I won't. Let me go back upstairs, so they'll know everything is okay."

"Thanks for checking on me," Nik said. "I appreciate it."

They shared another kiss, which only left both of them wanting more.

"I hope you make it back to the waiting room soon," Gia said, brushing his hair.

"Me, too. This is the last thing I expected to be dealing with tonight."

Gia had no sooner left than Monica and Alan arrived. Nikolas greeted and showed them to their seats.

"How is Keesha?" Monica immediately asked, still catching her breath from the long trot they had from the parking lot. "Any word on how the operation is progressing?"

"No. I haven't heard anything from Ellen or the nurses. I'm taking it as no news is good news."

Alan nodded. "How are A.J. and Julianna holding up?"

"Fine, from what I can tell. Unfortunately, I've had another situation arise that's taken my attention away from them. That's why I wanted to see both of you."

"What's going on?" Monica asked.

"It's about A.J."

Monica and Alan shared a concerned look.

"What about our son?" Alan asked.

"I got a call from the director of his Manhattan Center. A reporter is trying to publish an article saying that A.J. has started drinking again. Vincent Martinez is the director's name. Anyway, he warned me that GH is probably going to be served with a subpoena, as early as Monday morning, demanding A.J.'s records."

"That's absurd," Alan scoffed. "They can serve all the subpoenas they want on us, we have absolutely no obligation to provide any records."

"That's what I told Vincent. He was very relieved to hear that. One of his concerns, and the more I'm thinking about it the more it's becoming my concern, too, is that this 'rumor' seems to be taking on a life of its own. I really do not want to bother Ellen with any of this, but at the same time, I hate to see A.J. and the hospital be connected to anything this reporter may decide to write. I know you've had experience with these types of issues before, Alan. Is there anything I can do to stop this nonsense before it's too late?"

Alan's answer was interrupted by the ringing of Nikolas' private line. He answered it on the first ring and said a curt "hello."

"Vincent. Sorry I was so short. I'm realizing my nerves are getting somewhat frazzled."

"My nerves just got a lot more frazzled, too," Vincent admitted.

"You have more information?"

"Yes. When I told our PR department that we didn't have to worry about this reporter or newspaper getting hold of A.J.'s records, they decided to level with me. They'd been trying to do some behind-the-scenes work, but they realized their efforts are failing, so now the gloves have come off."

"What, or should I say who, are we dealing with, Vincent?"

"I just found out the reporter in question is none other than A.J.'s ex-wife, Courtney Matthews."

Chapter 42 by pinkrose

Chapter 42

After talking for a few more minutes to Vincent, Nikolas hung up the phone and rubbed his face with his hands.

"The reporter has been identified," he said, his voice grim.

"Who is it?" Alan demanded.

"You're not going to believe this," Nik said, looking from Alan to Monica. "It's Courtney."

"As in A.J.'s ex-wife, Courtney?" Alan asked, confused.

Nikolas nodded.

"What?!" Monica exclaimed. "That's not possible. She's not a newspaper reporter! She's been in hiding with Jason. No one has seen or heard from either of them in years. Something very strange is going on here."

"I agree with my wife," Alan said. "Why would Courtney do something like this? It doesn't make any sense!"

Nikolas shrugged. "That's what the PR department in Manhattan has uncovered. As to whether it's really Courtney or someone saying she's Courtney or whatever the truth is, I still have to find a way to handle this situation before it becomes any more explosive."

"I say we call this person, *whomever* she is, on her bluff. Make her show herself. If my son says he hasn't had a drink in eleven years, I believe him."

"I believe him, too," Monica asserted.

"Well, so do I," Nikolas said. "And I'm not withholding anything here. A.J. has not been in this hospital. There are no records I can produce anywhere, no matter who demands them."

Monica and Alan shared a worried look.

"He did have a hospitalization a few years ago," Alan admitted. "But he said it wasn't because of alcohol, and I have no reason to doubt him."

"Hopefully, Courtney or whoever is doing this doesn't know about that," Nik said.

"She or whoever she works for wouldn't be able to get their hands on the records anyway, but you're right," Alan said. "I'd hate to see that hospital stay come to light now."

"She must not know about it or she would've gone after them, too, don't you think? Or at least put the word out that A.J. *had* been in the hospital?" Nik suggested.

"Probably," Alan said. "Unless there's something very specific this woman, whom I refuse to believe is Courtney, is after, and she doesn't want to play her entire hand yet."

"What do you think this woman is after?" Monica asked her husband.

"I have no idea," he replied. "But what I would like to do, Nikolas, with your permission and Ellen's, of course, is to hold a press conference at the Port Charles Hotel. Ideally, it should be done here on the front steps of the hospital, but given what's going on with Keesha, I don't want the hospital to be the focus."

"I don't either," Nik concurred.

"As soon as we know that Keesha is all right, we can set something up at the hotel. I'd like to set the record straight about my son, once and for all. I don't mind speaking on the hospital's behalf if you and Ellen think it would work. This situation is ridiculous, and it needs to be dealt with, so A.J. can concentrate on what's really important. This should not be happening to him. If the press, especially this so-called reporter, wants to fire questions at me, I'm ready to take on all of them."

"Sounds good to me," Nik said. "I'll be in touch as soon as I work things out from here. Come on. We've spent enough time in this stuffy office. I'll take you to the waiting room so you can see your son and your granddaughter."

*~*

A shocked A.J. sprang from the couch when he saw Nikolas enter the room with Monica and Alan.

"Mom! Dad! What are you doing here?"

"We came to see how you're doing," Alan said, hugging his son.

Monica followed.

"Where's Julianna?" she asked, when they had pulled apart.

"She's in the courtyard waiting for Tony and Michael. Have a seat."

Monica and Alan said "hello" to Dara, Justus, and Gia and sat across from them.

"You haven't heard anything?" Justus asked Nikolas.

Nikolas shook his head. "To me, that's a good sign. I think everything must be going well."

"That's what we were saying, too," Gia said.

"How did you know this was going on?" A.J. asked his parents. "I called Skye and Emily, but I didn't want to bother you because it was so late. I was going to call you in the morning."

"Bobbie phoned us," Monica said. "She thought we would want to know."

"I tried to call you," Alan said to A.J.

"I haven't checked my messages," A.J. admitted. "I didn't mean to not include you."

"It's okay," Monica said. "I hope it's all right that we plan to stay."

"It's fine," A.J. said and smiled at his parents. "I'm glad you're here. I know Julianna will be, too."

*~*

When Tony parked the car in his assigned stall at General Hospital, Michael's stomach lurched.

"Are you sure you're going to be able to do this?" Tony asked, concerned.

"Yeah," Michael said, a bit testy. "Just give me a minute."

Tony followed Michael when he finally emerged from the car. The night air felt good against his flushed face.

"Julianna said she'd be on the patio by the cafeteria."

"Let's walk this way, then."

Tony led his son to a side entrance. He saw a brick wall lined with rose bushes.

"The terrace is around that wall, isn't it?" Michael asked.

Tony nodded.

Even though he was relieved they would be outside for a little while longer, Michael still had to pause before he actually reached the courtyard. Just seeing the hospital looming in front of him made him nauseous. Once the feeling had passed, they continued. Knowing Julianna waited for him on the other side propelled him forward.

Julianna, who had found a tablet in her backpack, had been writing down her thoughts when she heard footsteps ascending the stairs. Hoping it would be Michael, she returned pen and paper to her bag and rose from the chair.

She was not disappointed. When Michael had climbed the last stair, Julianna was waiting for him.

"Hey!" he said.

Although he hadn't stopped to consider how she would look, he realized he hadn't expected her to greet him with a smile, but she did.

"Hey, yourself," she returned.

"How's your mom?" he asked.

"I think my mom is doing fine," she said. "I haven't heard anything, and I know my dad or someone would come get me if there was news."

"I hope everything is going well," Michael said. "Julianna, I want to introduce you to my dad, Dr. Tony Jones. Dad, this is Julianna Ward."

"Hello," Tony said, reaching to shake Julianna's hand. "It's so nice to finally meet you."

"Same here. I was looking forward to meeting you at the barbecue, but Michael told me you got called to the hospital."

"I heard it was a fun time. I'm sorry I missed it. You know, years ago," Tony said, "your mom, Dad and I were all good friends. My thoughts are with you and your mom. I hope Keesha's transplant is successful. I'm pulling for her."

"Thank you so much," Julianna said.

She had taken an instant liking to Michael's father.

"I'm going to find your grandmother," Tony said to Michael. "I need to talk to her about something, and then I want to see A.J. I'll catch up with you either in the waiting room or in my office."

"Okay."

Michael still looked shaky to Tony.

"Are you sure you're all right?" he asked one more time.

Michael nodded.

"Remember to take deep breaths," Tony said. "Julianna, it was so nice to meet you. I'll see you again before we leave."

"Okay. Nice to meet you, too."

"Let's sit on this marble bench," Michael suggested, once they were alone.

"Your dad seems like a real nice guy," Julianna said once they had sat down. "I like him."

"Thanks. I could tell he liked you, too. He's pretty cool, most of the time."

"What did he mean when he told you to take deep breaths?"

Michael shook his head. "I wish he hadn't said that in front of you or that you hadn't heard what he said, but I should've known better. About both of you."

"What does it mean?" she asked again. "Are you feeling all right?"

Michael sighed. "It's not easy for me to be here," he admitted. "In fact, I'm not at all sure I can actually step inside that hospital. Unfortunately, I have some horrific memories of this place."

"Of course!" Julianna said, the light dawning. "Because of your mother dying here, right? Michael, I'm so sorry. Why didn't you say something? I would've understood. Totally!"

"I wanted to be with you."

Julianna smiled at his thoughtfulness.

"And I wanted to be here for the very different outcome I'm expecting for your mom. Maybe it will ease some of what I'm feeling to know that not everyone who comes here...dies."

"Michael..." Julianna said, and then realized she didn't quite know what to say.

"I know," he said. "No one could explain it to me for a long time, but it's getting easier."

"But if this place causes you stress..."

"It's okay," Michael said, reaching for Julianna's hands. "Like my father said, I just have to remember to breathe."

"Do you get like a panic attack or something?"

"Yeah. Something like that."

"That must be awful for you!"

"I actually had my first one at the penthouse when my grandmother came to get me to bring me here. I knew something bad, really bad, had happened. I never went back to the penthouse after that fateful night. I couldn't. The thought of it made me sick. Literally. I kept getting sick here, too, but I had to stay. I couldn't leave my mother until she...well, you know. But when my mom died, I vowed I would never, ever return to this place!"

"Michael, what you've lived through sounds like something that would happen in a movie, not in real life. I can't imagine what it must have been like for you."

Julianna shuddered even though the air was still relatively warm, despite the late hour.

Memories of another time and place began to consume Michael. He stood up abruptly from the bench and walked to lean over the railing. Julianna was quickly at his side.

"Are you going to be sick?" she asked, brushing his unruly auburn hair.

He shook his head. "I'm just remembering a lot of things I don't usually allow myself to think about."

He turned to look at her.

"I'm sorry. I want to be here for you."

"No, Michael," she said. "Please don't be sorry. You are here with me."

Even though he hadn't spent much time with Keesha, Julianna reminded him very much of her mother at that moment.

"If you want to share some of what you're thinking about, I'm here and ready to listen."

"I'd rather talk about your mom," he insisted. "I feel as though your mom is going to be able to do what my mom couldn't: survive."

Julianna saw the tears welling in Michael's brown eyes just before he looked away.

"I'm so sorry you lost your mother," she said. "I know we've talked about a lot of family stuff, but you've never told me much about what your mom was like. For you. Tell me some things you remember about her. Nice memories that you have. Talk about things the two of you did together. Fun things. You'll be helping me, Michael. It'll keep my mind off the fact that my mom is lying on an operating table. I haven't let myself dwell on that fact too much these past few hours. But when the idea does enter my mind, I tell myself that Mama is surrounded by angels who are watching over her. That thought comforts me."

"And that's the basic difference between your mom and my mom," Michael said. "My mom was always surrounded by darkness and violence and evil."

He gave a bitter laugh. "Can you imagine me picturing my mom being surrounded by angels when *she* was in the operating room fighting for her life?! I was just hoping no one would come in and shoot up the damn hospital!!"

Julianna jumped back at the rage she heard in Michael's voice. Immediately contrite, he tried to smooth things.

"I'm sorry, Jule. I just...sometimes I think it didn't have to end the way it did. And when I think about the games my mother played with respect to who my father was, it just makes me angrier. She told me that A.J. didn't care about me and that's why he left town. I didn't know any better, so I believed her. My mom promised me, over and over and over again, that she and Sonny and Jason would never leave me, but they did. They *all* did! My mom left me alone to find out the truth, the real truth, about who my father was. Do you know how many years I spent hating your father, Jule? And he had absolutely nothing to do with any of this. I have so many questions that will never be answered because the people who could answer them for me are gone. All gone!"

"What about Jason?" Julianna asked, her heart aching at the anguish she saw on her friend's face. "Maybe he will come back some day and answer your questions."

Michael shrugged. "Most days, I don't even care," he said. "I just know my life is better now than it has been in a long time, and I have my family and friends to thank for that. Being here just reminded me of some things I really wish I could forget."

"If you ever want to talk about them..." Julianna offered.

"Thanks," he said.

He gave her a wan smile. "I need to tell you something, Jule, that I've been thinking about for a while. Actually, I need to tell you a couple of things."

"What are they?" she asked, looking into his eyes.

"I've been hesitant to mention this because I didn't want to scare you, but you have a right to know. I'm still seeing a counselor for my anger. The outbursts aren't nearly so bad or so frequent as they used to be, but I still do have them. I saw the look on your face earlier, and I know I scared you. I'm sorry. The anger just comes out of me sometimes. I try to control it, but I'm not always successful as you just witnessed. Now that you know this about me, I'll understand if you don't want to be around me."

"I want to be with you," she said. "It's okay that you're still going to therapy. I understand, Michael. Really. I do."

"I'm not sure you can understand," he said sadly. "And I'm not sure I'd want you to. It's scary some times, Jule. I have nightmares, and I wake up in a cold sweat. I haven't thrown anything in almost two years, but that tendency is there. I wish, more than anything, I had grown up in a less violent environment. There are too many images I know will be with me for the rest of my life. I doubt I'll ever be able to shake them. One thing I am certain of, though, is that my children are going to be raised much, much differently than I was. They won't be allowed to own so much as a toy gun!"

Without saying anything because she didn't know what to say to make things better, Julianna pulled Michael into a hug. They clung to each other for a long time, lost in their own thoughts. When they finally separated, Michael ran the pad of his index finger down Julianna's soft cheek.

"Help me, Julianna," he whispered. "Help me to walk into that hospital without feeling like I'm going to pass out. You need to get back to the waiting room, and I need to prove to myself, if no one else, that I can do this. Will you help me? Please?"

"I can do that, Michael. I *want* to do that. For you."

And then she held out her hand for him to take.

They took their time walking across the courtyard.

"Are you feeling okay?" Julianna asked periodically.

Michael indicated he was fine, but she noticed his grip on her hand tightened the closer they came to the entrance. She stopped to let him get his breathing under control.

They stood at the automatic doors.

"If we take another step," Julianna said, "the doors will open, and we'll have to walk through."

"Yeah, I know," Michael said.

"If you're not ready, we won't do it. I don't mind waiting, Michael. For however long it takes."

"No," he insisted. "I need to do this. You need to be with your dad and your family. You need to find out how your mom is doing. I *can* do this. I *will* do this."

"You tell me when you're ready to walk."

He squeezed her hand almost to the point of pain, but Julianna didn't complain.

"I'm ready," he announced.

Together, they took a step and the automatic glass doors opened, welcoming them into the hospital.

"You did it!" Julianna exclaimed, throwing her arms around Michael's neck. "You entered the hospital, Michael. You're inside!"

"And now I need to sit down before I faint."

They found two chairs and sat near the entrance.

"Are you okay?" Julianna asked, continuing to hold his hand.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," he assured her. "The hard part is over, right? I'm inside, and I don't feel sick."

"Really? You feel all right? You don't feel like you're going to faint?"

"No," Michael said, looking at Julianna and giving her a wide smile. "Thanks to you, I'm fine. It's the first time I've been in here without having a panic attack."

"It's those angels," Julianna said and smiled. "They're watching out for you, too."

"I know one angel in particular who is really watching out for me," Michael said, his voice serious. "Thank you, Julianna."

She smiled. Despite everything that was going on around her, she felt at peace.

"You're welcome."

A.J.'s sudden arrival interrupted their moment.

"I'm glad I found you," he said, a bit breathless. "You need to come to the waiting room. Nikolas has news about your mother."

Chapter 43 by pinkrose

Chapter 43

"I talked briefly to Ellen," Nikolas told the anxious group assembled in the waiting room. "She said the surgery is progressing as expected but that Keesha will be in the OR for several more hours."

"As long as Mama's doing okay," Julianna said to A.J. "That's the main thing."

"I agree."

"Thanks for the update," Justus said to Nikolas.

The others nodded their thanks.

"You're welcome."

Emily and Skye approached Julianna and asked her how she was doing.

"I'm fine," she told them. "Thank you for coming."

"You're welcome, sweetie," Skye said and smiled.

Emily hugged Michael.

"I swear you're at least an inch taller every time I see you."

"No, I'm not," Michael said and blushed.

"Well, I think it's great you're here for A.J. and Julianna. I know they appreciate the support. And someday," she said, lowering her voice so only he could hear, "you're going to have to tell me how you managed to make it inside this place."

Zander and Tom said their "hellos" to Julianna and Michael.

"After you had dinner at our house the other night, Brianna asked me to give you this," Zander said to Julianna.

He handed her a miniature stuffed puppy.

"Bri said it helps her when she's scared, and she wanted you to have it."

"Oh that's so sweet!" Julianna gushed. "Please tell her I said thank you and that I'm looking forward to seeing her and Brian again."

"I will," Zander said and smiled.

After conversing with Michael, Monica and Alan waited until the others had talked with Julianna before they approached her.

"Hi," Julianna said, when they sat next to her. "It's nice that you're here."

"We very much want this operation to be successful," Monica said.

Julianna nodded. "I know."

She looked around the room at all the concerned faces.

"It's great that so many people care about my parents. I never gave much thought to my father's family," she admitted. "I just knew my mother and I were together and that was enough for me. Seeing all of you in this room is a little overwhelming, but in a good way."

"We care about your mother," Alan said. "And we care about you and your father, too."

"I know."

"I know it, too, Dad," A.J. said.

The four of them shared an understanding smile.

*~*

A few minutes later, Bobbie and Tony entered the room. Bobbie gave Michael a hug, and then he filled them in on Nikolas' news.

Bobbie said "hello" to everyone, and after she and Monica hugged, her eyes locked on A.J.'s. They hadn't seen each other since he had left town.

"Can we talk in the hallway for a minute?" she asked.

A.J. nodded.

Curious eyes watched them as they left the room.

"Let's sit over here," Bobbie said, pointing to a maroon-colored divan near the elevator bank. "I've been rehearsing what I wanted to say to you once I saw you again, and now..."

Shaking her head, Bobbie let the words trail off. A.J. made it very easy for her.

"You don't have to say anything. You didn't know what Carly and Jason had done."

"I came down on you pretty hard, more than once. I applauded Carly keeping you away from Michael. If I had only known..."

"But you didn't," A.J. reiterated. "That's the key. She fooled all of us. And only she, and maybe Jason, knew the real reason why she chose the path she did. I don't blame you, Bobbie. You were protecting your daughter. I understood that, even when I didn't think it was right or fair."

"There were so many times when things would get out of control at the penthouse that I asked her, no begged her, to let me keep Michael. But she was so stubborn. She refused to acknowledge that her lifestyle was affecting her son. It terrified me to see how much Michael was hurting, but the more I argued with her, the less contact we had. I had to stop before my daughter cut me out of her life completely, which she threatened to do on more than one occasion if I didn't shut up about her marriage to Sonny."

A.J. gave a bitter laugh as he shook his head. "That certainly sounds like Carly."

"She chose the lifestyle. That's what I had to keep reminding myself. I pleaded with her to leave Sonny. I told her things would only get worse, not better. But she said she couldn't. She said she had grown accustomed to the life and to the danger. She foolishly thought Michael had, too. How could he have? When that call came into the hospital..."

Bobbie stood and turned away from A.J. He rose and placed gentle hands on her shoulders.

"I can't imagine what you must have gone through. I don't know how anyone survives the loss of two children in a lifetime."

She turned and gave A.J. a small smile.

"Michael was spared. I will be forever grateful for that. He's been through so much, as you well know, but he seems to be able to enjoy the idea of being alive again. He looks forward to events. His interests are picking up. He cares about what's going on around him. Thank you, A.J. Thank you for being there for him when neither Tony nor I could reach him. I should've gone with Tony and Michael to see you in Manhattan, but I just couldn't. I didn't know how to face you, given everything that had happened through the years. I'll never forget what you did for Michael."

"It wasn't just me," A.J. told her honestly. "But you're welcome. I'm glad the program worked."

"And now Michael and Julianna are friends. Can you believe it?"

A.J. chuckled. "No, I can't. It's amazing, isn't it?"

"Very much so. I haven't spent much time with Julianna, but from the little bit I have, I like her. A lot. I think she's inherited the best from both of her parents."

"That's kind of you to say, but Keesha gets all the credit for Julianna. Keesha is one incredible lady, and she's raising Julianna to be the same way. I just sit and marvel at the two of them and wonder how I got to be so fortunate."

"You have that look in your eyes when you talk about Keesha," Bobbie said, her own dark eyes twinkling. "I hope her operation works so that the two of you can have that second, or would this be the third, chance that you both deserve."

"Thanks, Bobbie. I appreciate the support."

"Thank *you*," she said as they started to return to the room, "for being so understanding. I didn't know how I was going to face you. Thank you for making it easy."

"No problem. Believe me, I know a thing or two, and hopefully have learned some things, too, about having to face unpleasant issues from the past. I'm glad we talked."

Bobbie smiled. "Me, too, A.J. Me, too."

*~*

When they returned to the room, several people had fallen asleep. Tony chatted with Monica, Alan, and Nikolas. Michael and Julianna had their heads together. Bobbie looked at them and smiled.

"I think they've become inseparable," she said.

"I think you're right."

"I can tell you that this is the first time Michael has been inside this hospital since his mother died. Tony and I worried about him so much. When he told his father he wanted to be here tonight for Julianna and you, Tony couldn't believe it. He thought for sure he would find Michael outside, unable to come in here. But look. There he is. And he's fine. That's the most amazing part of all."

"I'm glad he was able to get past his fear. Now that he's here, maybe he'll find out it's not so bad and go on to follow in his father's footsteps. Maybe we're looking at the future Dr. Michael Jones."

Bobbie chuckled. "I don't think so, but it's not a bad thought."

"Does Michael talk about what he'd like to do with his life?"

"Not too much. He talks about taking business administration courses in college, but that's about it. At one time, I think he wanted to be an airline pilot, but with travel and security the way it is these days, I'm not sure that career choice still appeals to him."

"Whatever he decides to do," A.J. said, "I know he'll be successful."

*~*

Two hours later, Bobbie, Tony and a reluctant Michael left the hospital after telling A.J. to call them with any news. The others, with the exception of A.J. and Julianna, and Nikolas who had gone to his office, decided to go to a nearby twenty-four hour cafe for some hot food.

"I have my cell," Alan said to his son. "Call us."

"I will."

"We'll bring you and your dad something delicious," Emily said to Julianna.

"Well, edible," Zander corrected with a laugh.

Once A.J. and Julianna were alone, he encouraged his daughter to sleep.

"I'll just lay on the couch and close my eyes for a few minutes," she said.

Within fifteen minutes, she was sleeping soundly. A.J. smiled as he watched her.

Plopping down on the sofa across from his daughter, A.J. let his mind wander. He tried to keep his thoughts focused on Keesha and Julianna, but he couldn't help thinking about the reporter who was threatening to print lies about him. Puzzled, he tried to recall whom he might have offended or slighted in the past or who had asked for an interview and had been denied, but no one came to mind. He wanted the situation to be resolved, but he knew nothing was more important than Keesha and Julianna.

In the quiet of the room, he leaned his head back against the wall, and within minutes, had fallen into a dreamless sleep.

*~*

About an hour later, the sound of voices woke A.J. and Julianna. They both stood and said "hello" to the ones who had returned from the diner.

"We brought you both a pancake breakfast with sausages and eggs," Emily said.

"That sounds good," Julianna said, still trying to wake up. "Thank you."

She and A.J. sat at the table and ate.

"I'm glad you got some sleep," he said.

"I'm surprised I was able to."

She looked out the window.

"It's morning," she said. "Shouldn't we be hearing something about Mama?"

"I was thinking the same thing. When I finish eating, I'll go down to Nikolas' office."

"I want to go, too."

"Of course."

*~*

A.J. was about to knock on Nikolas' door when it opened.

"A.J., Julianna. I was just on my way upstairs. Come in."

They stepped inside his office. Nikolas closed the door. When he turned to face them, he couldn't keep the huge smile from his face.

"You have good news?" A.J. asked, hope present in his voice.

"The best," Nikolas said. "I just heard from Ellen. Keesha is out of surgery. She's in the transplant urgent care unit. She made it through the operation!"

"I knew Mama would make it!" Julianna cried with relief and jubilation. "I knew she wasn't going to die!"

She and A.J. embraced each other as they absorbed Nikolas' words.

"Your mother made it, Julianna. Keesha has a healthy liver once more."

"This is the best news ever!"

Julianna let the tears of relief and happiness spill down her cheeks.

"I'm so happy," she said. "Mama didn't die. She's alive, and she's going to be healthy again. I can't believe it. Mama's been sick for so long. There were times when I thought for sure I was going to lose my mother."

"I know, sweetheart. I know."

A.J. held his daughter once more.

"Thank you," she said, clinging to him. "Thank you for being with us. A few months ago, I didn't know who you were, and I couldn't have cared less. Now I can't imagine you not being in my life and Mama's. We need you, Daddy. So much. I love you."

"I love you, too, Julianna," A.J. said, with a catch in his voice. "I love you and your mother so very, very much. Thank you for letting me be here."

While father and daughter rejoiced at the good news, Nikolas slipped quietly from the room to give them the privacy he knew they needed.

Chapter 44 by pinkrose

Chapter 44

Smiles and hugs ensued when A.J. and Julianna entered the waiting room.

"We’re so happy and relieved Keesha made it," Monica said to her son as she hugged him.

Dara and Justus embraced Julianna.

"Thank you for everything," Julianna told them, her voice filled with emotion. "Mama and I love both of you so much."

"We love you, too," Justus said.

He kept her in his arms for a little while longer. She had become someone very special to him. Dara looked on with a smile. He’s going to make a great father, she thought. She realized she was ready to pursue their adoption plans. Soon.

A few minutes later, a tired but happy Ellen walked in to address the group.

"I know Nikolas told you the good news. I just want to confirm it. Keesha came through the surgery in good condition. She has her new liver. She’s still in recovery. The anti-rejection medication has been started. She’s being monitored very closely.

"At this time, I am saying no visitors for the next twelve hours. That could extend to twenty-four hours, depending on her recovery. However, there is a window in her room so you can look at her for a few minutes just to assure yourselves she is okay. My hope is that you will all go home and get some much-needed sleep."

Justus and A.J. thanked Ellen.

"As of this moment, I have no reason to believe Keesha’s recovery will not be on track," she told them. "She did very well in the OR. We ran into very minor complications, nothing unusual and nothing that threatened her life or the operation. Here’s the phone number for the nurses’ station in the transplant recovery unit. Feel free to call anytime. The nurse on duty will give you updates and let you know when you might be able to see Keesha for a few minutes. I’ll be in touch, as well, over the next few days. Okay?"

"Sounds good," Justus said. "Thank you again."

She smiled. "You’re very welcome."

After Ellen said good-bye to everyone, Justus suggested to A.J. that he and Julianna go see Keesha.

"Dara and I will join you in a few minutes."

"Okay."

A.J. crossed to his daughter and asked if she was ready to see her mother. Julianna nodded enthusiastically.

They were ready to leave the room when Monica and Alan approached them.

"We just wanted to tell you how happy we are for your mother and you," Alan said to Julianna.

She smiled at them. "Thank you."

"Would it be okay if I gave you a hug?" Monica asked.

Julianna nodded.

Monica gently embraced the lovely young girl she had quickly come to think of as her granddaughter in every way, despite having spent so little time with her.

For the first time, Julianna realized her grandmother was hugging her. She’d never known her maternal grandparents. She decided it was time she acknowledged their place in her life.

"Thank you for staying with us, Grandma Monica. I appreciate it very much."

Monica held her tighter as tears filled her eyes. Julianna had referred to her as her grandmother. Monica’s heart swelled with love.

Before Alan could hug his granddaughter, she embraced him.

"Thank you, too, Grandpa Alan. It meant a lot to me to have you here."

"You’re welcome, sweetheart. Thank you for acknowledging us as your grandparents. Please, Julianna. Come to us if you need anything. Okay?"

Julianna pulled away and nodded. She smiled at them and then left the room with her father.

"I’m so proud of you," A.J. said to her as they walked towards the elevators.

She shrugged. "I realized it’s nice to know I have grandparents. The time seemed right to tell them.."

"So young," A.J. marveled, "and yet so wise."

Julianna laughed. "Yeah, right."

*~*

"If there are no setbacks with Keesha today," Nikolas said to Alan to Monica, "do you want to set the press conference for tomorrow morning?"

"Yes," Alan replied.

Nikolas nodded. "I’ll talk to Ellen. I’ll be in touch."

"Thanks, Nikolas," Alan said. "I look forward to putting this hideous situation behind us as quickly as possible. My son has way more important things to concentrate on."

"I understand," Nik said.

*~*

Regina greeted A.J. and Julianna when they arrived at the nurses’ station.

"Keesha is doing very well," she informed them. "Take a look for yourselves."

She led them to Keesha’s room so they could see her through the window, and then she left them alone.

"Mama looks peaceful," Julianna said. She laid her head on her father’s shoulder. "Frail, but peaceful."

"I was thinking the same thing. I wish we could be with her so she would know she’s not alone."

"I’d like to hold her," Julianna said.

So would I, A.J. thought.

She looked at her father.

"We’ll be able to visit with Mama soon, right?"

"Very soon, sweetheart. These hours will fly by."

"I hope so."

Dara and Justus arrived a few minutes later. Dara held Julianna close as they looked at Keesha.

"Regina said she’s doing well," A.J. told them.

"We heard that, too," Justus said.

"I know you’ll feel better when you can be with her," Dara said to Julianna, who nodded.

"Soon," Justus said, "your mother will know we are with her."

"I know."

Julianna tried to stifle a yawn but couldn’t.

"Come on, honey," Dara said. "Let’s go home so you can get some sleep. We’ll call here later to find out how Keesha is doing."

"Okay."

"I’ll tell the others you said good-bye," A.J. said to his daughter.

She hugged and thanked him.

"You need sleep, too."

A.J. laughed. "I know. After I stop off downstairs, I’m heading straight for my hotel room."

"I’ll call you later?"

"Please do."

"I’m going to stop at the chapel," Julianna told him. "I have so much to be thankful for."

"That’s nice," A.J. said.

Julianna studied her father’s tired face.

"I don’t know why, but I feel the need to say a prayer for you. Maybe it’s because of this reporter situation, but I feel like you’re going to need help, Daddy."

"I hope you’re wrong, but I appreciate you looking out for me." He smiled. "It’s wonderful having my daughter on my side."

Julianna returned his smile and said good-bye after taking one more long look at her mother, who was sleeping soundly.

*~*

It was late afternoon when Julianna woke up. After spending some time writing in her diary, she decided to call Michael. She also wanted to call her best friend Shelly to tell her the good news.

Julianna smiled when she heard Michael’s cheery "hello."

"Hi, Michael."

"Jule! Man, I’ve been waiting for you to call. We heard the excellent news about your mom. I wanted to call you, but Dara said you were sleeping. Are you okay?"

"I’m still a little out of it," she admitted, "but I’m very happy and very relieved."

"I can understand that. Dara said you guys can’t go into your mom’s room, but you saw her through a window?"

"Yeah. Mama looked very frail but also peaceful. I can’t wait until we can be in the room with her."

"I’m sure it will be soon."

"Probably tomorrow."

"I’m sooo happy for you, Jule."

She smiled into the phone. "Thanks, Michael. And thank you for being with me last night. I liked knowing you were there. It meant a lot to me."

"Thank you, Jule!" Michael said seriously. "If it wasn’t for your help and your patience, I wouldn’t have been able to be there. I’ll never forget what you did for me."

"I’ll never forget all the things you’ve done for me either," she said, her voice sounding melancholy.

"Why do you suddenly sound sad?" Michael asked.

"I was just thinking that we’ll probably be leaving soon to return to Philadelphia. I’m going to miss you, Michael."

"I didn’t think about that," he admitted. "It’s going to seem weird if you leave, Jule. I like having you here."

"But this isn’t our home. I want to return to Philadelphia."

"I understand," Michael said, but he wasn’t sure he did.

"Will we still keep in touch?" she asked.

"I’d like to if you want to," Michael said, surprised she had asked that question.

He’d just assumed they would always keep in touch, but now he realized maybe that wouldn’t be the case.

"I want us to keep in touch, too," she said.

But, somehow, her words did little to convince Michael they would stay in touch.

"Is there something going on, Jule?" he asked. "You sound different."

"No," she said. "I just...I just realized how much my life might change now that Mama will be well again. Shelly and I talked about all the things we would do in high school, but I wasn’t able to participate in much because my mother needed me. If Mama is well, maybe I can do some of those things. Won’t that be fantastic?"

"Yes, it will," Michael said. "You deserve to have some fun, Julianna. I hope it works out for you."

"Thanks, Michael. I’m going to call Shelly to let her know the good news!"

"Okay. Call me later."

Michael hung up the phone and realized what Julianna had been trying to convey. She’d been trying to tell him that she would no longer have time for him. Once she returned to Philadelphia, he began to doubt he would ever hear from her. When her mother was sick, he had been a means of escape for her, but now that her mother would be healthy, she had other plans. Plans that seemed not to include keeping in touch with him. And that made him sad.

"How do I begin to get over you, Jule?"

*~*

"Shelly?" Julianna asked because she wasn’t sure she’d called the right number.

"Yeah, it’s me. Julianna? How the hell are you?"

Julianna looked at her phone. Her petite best friend with long blonde hair and big round emerald eyes never talked like that.

"I’m fine. How are *you*?"

Shelly laughed. "Couldn’t be better. What’s goin’ on?"

"I wanted to share some good news with you, but I’m not sure now is the time. What’s going on there? I hear loud music and talking."

"Frank and Diego are here. We’re hangin’ out. Gwen is here, too."

"Gwen?!" Julianna couldn’t keep the surprise from her voice. "Since when did you start hanging out with Gwen?"

Shelly laughed. "I know, I know. We always thought she was a bitch. But you know what? She’s not so bad once you get to know her."

"If you say so," Julianna said, unconvinced.

"Diego wants to talk to you. Here, talk to him."

"No, Shelly, I don’t want to talk to...Diego. Hi. How are you?"

"I’m doin’ good, babe. Real good. But I miss you. I can’t wait until you return to Philly. You owe me a date, you know. I have plans for us, babe. Big plans."

"I’m not your ‘babe’," Julianna said, wishing Shelly would take back the phone.

"You are soooo hot," Diego continued, undaunted. His words sounded slurred. "I bet you got hotter and sexier over the summer. I can’t *wait* to see you."

"Put Shelly back on the phone. Now!"

"Sure, babe. Whatever you say. See you soon."

That’s what you think.

"What did you say to Diego?" Shelly demanded.

"Nothing. Look, Shelly, I don’t know what’s going on there, but I don’t appreciate you giving the phone to Diego. You know I can’t stand that guy."

"He likes you, Julianna."

"He’s a pig!"

"Only after he’s had a couple of beers. When he’s sober, he’s a really great guy."

"Is that what’s going on there? You guys are drinking?"

Shelly giggled. "You really wanna know what’s going on here?"

"No," Julianna said. "I don’t. Don’t tell me any of the sordid details, Shelly. I gotta go."

"Call me tomorrow and tell me your news," she said. "I’ll be sober then. Hungover, but sober."

"Yeah, whatever."

Julianna ended the call. She couldn’t believe her best friend since kindergarten was drinking, entertaining guys in her home and who knows what else.

"What is going on with you, Shelly?"

Diego’s lewd comments made her skin crawl and made her appreciate Michael that much more.

"But it’s not fair of me to keep depending on Michael when he’s here and I’m in Philadelphia."

Yet, she knew Michael was the only guy she felt comfortable enough with to depend on. How I wish you lived in Philadelphia, Michael. What am I going to do without you?

Chapter 45 by pinkrose

Chapter 45

"Dad!" Julianna said when A.J. answered the phone the next morning. "Do you have your TV on?"

"No. Why? What’s going on?"

"Grandfather is talking about you to the press."

"What?!"

A.J. found his remote and clicked on the TV. He saw and heard his father defending his sobriety and his accomplishments. A.J. couldn’t believe how convincing Alan sounded.

"Isn’t it wonderful?" Julianna said.

"Yes," A.J. said, unable to remove his eyes from the screen. "It’s incredible. My mother is standing beside my father. Nikolas and Ellen are there, too."

"That reporter doesn’t have a chance of discrediting you," Julianna said, her voice animated. "Grandfather is making sure of that, isn’t he?"

"He certainly is."

"We’re going to the hospital in a little while. Want us to pick you up?"

"Sure. I’d like that."

"Mama can have visitors; your situation is being taken care of. Things are just falling into place, aren’t they?"

A.J. wasn’t so sure but, outwardly, he agreed with his daughter.

"I love you, Dad. We’ll see you soon."

"Love you, too, sweetheart."

As soon as A.J. ended the call, he turned up the volume on the TV to hear what his father had to say. He would have rather been told what was going on prior to witnessing it on television, but given the circumstances with Keesha, he understood why he hadn’t been informed.

He thought about heading downstairs to make his presence known when he heard Alan single out the reporter responsible for the lies about his sobriety: Courtney Matthews.

"Courtney!" A.J. yelled at the TV. "What the hell does she have to do with this?!"

A few minutes later, A.J.’s cell phone rang. He answered it and said a brusque "hello."

"A.J., it’s Vincent."

"Sorry. I didn’t mean to sound so rude, but you would not believe what’s going on here."

"Actually, I would. I’m downstairs in the lobby. Courtney is with me. I think you need to see her, A.J."

"No way! Don’t bring her to my room. I *don’t* want to see her. We have nothing to say to each other!"

"I think you’re gonna want to hear what she has to say."

A.J. made a derisive sound as he ran his hand through his hair.

"Why are you doing this to me?" he asked. "I *really* don’t want to see her."

"You’ll understand when she comes to your room. We’re on our way, okay?"

A.J. sighed. "No, it’s not okay, but bring her here. I’ll tell her what I think of her when I see her. I’m in Room 617."

*~*

"Hello," Julianna said when she answered her cell phone.

"Hey, Julianna. It’s Shelly."

"Hi, Shelly," Julianna said, her voice cool.

"I know that tone. You’re upset with me. I’m calling to apologize."

"*What* was going on yesterday?"

"I did something really stupid, okay? This hasn’t been the best summer for me. My parents split up, and I’m trying to deal. I miss having you here to talk to."

"Oh, wow. I’m sorry to hear that. Why didn’t you tell me sooner?"

"We haven’t talked. I know you have your own stuff going on."

"What happened?"

"My mom found out my dad’s been cheating on her, and she threw him out. But now all my mother does is cry. When she’s not doing that, she’s not here. I’m not sure where she goes. We’re barely talking."

"I’m so sorry, Shelly."

"Thanks. Frank’s been keeping me company. He told me if I drink a couple of beers, I’ll feel better. Yeah, I feel great until the next morning. Then, oh man. And the worst part is he gave me something stronger than beer last night. I can’t remember a lot of what happened, and that scares me."

"Shelly, why are you letting Frank influence you like that?"

"I don’t know. I’m bored and lonely. And scared and depressed. When are you coming home, Julianna? I need my best friend."

"Probably soon."

"Really?" Shelly’s voice brightened. "Because of school? Is your mom okay?"

"That’s why I called yesterday. I wanted to tell you that my mom had her liver transplant, and so far it’s successful."

"That’s great! Finally, some good news. I’m happy for your mom and you, Julianna. Really I am."

"Thanks. I’m sorry for you and your parents. Maybe they can work things out."

"Maybe. I don’t really know. I haven’t been in touch with my dad since he left. I don’t know where he is."

"Can you call him at his office?"

"I probably could, but I haven’t wanted to. I’m angry with him, too."

"I know that feeling," Julianna said, "but don’t let too much time go by without talking to him."

"You mean like fifteen years?"

Julianna cringed. "I deserve that, I guess."

"No, you don’t. Our situations are totally different. I’m sorry, Julianna. I’m just frustrated, and I have a killer headache. I’d better hang up before I say anything else stupid. I just really wanted to apologize for yesterday."

"It’s okay. I’ll call you later."

Thinking about how things were working out for her parents, Julianna couldn’t help but to be thankful.

*~*

When he heard the knock on his door, A.J. steeled himself, as best he could, for what awaited him on the other side. When he opened the door, he expected a brash, smug Courtney to come waltzing into his room. What he saw instead shocked him. A pale, frightened shell of a woman stood before him, holding a small, dark-haired boy tightly in her arms.

"Come in," he said, after they’d stared at each other for a long moment.

He still wasn’t sure what to make of the scene in front of him.

Vincent, a dark-haired, dark-eyed man of medium height with an athlete's build, followed Courtney and the young boy into the room.

"I’m sorry for the trouble I’m causing you," Courtney began. "I just...I didn’t know what else to do. I need your help, A.J."

"Passing yourself off as a reporter and making up lies about me are such great ways to get my help," he snapped.

"It finally got me to see you. I’ve been trying for a while. Your staff protects you something fierce."

A.J. narrowed his gaze. "Why have you been trying to see me? I can’t imagine what *I* could help you with."

"I need you to help me with my son."

"Why should I assist you with anything?"

"I’m desperate, A.J. I’ve made so many mistakes. I want a chance to start over with my son. I can’t live like this anymore. My son Jesse. He saw Jason kill a man, and he’s been traumatized ever since. He won’t talk. I need to get him help, A.J. I know this isn’t your problem, and you can throw me out if you want, but I’m willing to get down on my hands and knees and beg you for your help."

A.J. saw and heard Courtney’s anguish and instinctively chose to believe her. He focused on the child and realized Jesse hadn’t uttered a sound since they’d entered the room. A.J. brushed the boy’s coarse hair with his hand. His blue eyes stared at A.J. and after a few minutes, he held out his chubby arms to him.

"He wants you to hold him," Courtney said.

When Jesse tried to reach for A.J., he took him from Courtney and held him. Jesse wrapped his arms around A.J.’s neck and laid his head on his shoulder as if he’d known him all of his young life.

Even though he did not see a resemblance, A.J. had to ask the question. "Am I...am I holding my brother’s son?"

Courtney shook her head as she smiled at her child. "No. Jesse is not Jason’s son, and I have proof if you want to see it."

"I believe you. I don’t know why I should, but I do."

"Will you help us, A.J.? Please."

"Why did you come here, Courtney? Why are you involving me in your life? And why are you lying about being some reporter and making my family have to defend me? How did you even know I was here?"

"I’ll answer your questions, I will."

She took her son from A.J. and sat him on the divan and then took a seat next to him. A.J. and Vincent remained standing.

"Let’s start with how you came to be a reporter for the New York Times," A.J. said.

He turned to look at his right-hand man. "This should be good."

Courtney lowered her eyes. "A friend helped me with that idea," she admitted. She lifted her head to look at the man she had once been married to. "I needed to see you, A.J. Everything else I tried didn’t work. My friend, who does work for the newspaper, told me you would probably go public if a rumor began circulating about you. He planted it for me. I’m sorry. I know what I did was wrong, but I was desperate to see you. When my friend told me there was a press conference today, I saw my chance, and I came. I saw your parents, but they didn’t see me. I wore a disguise. My friend recognized Vincent from having toured your Center in Manhattan, and he introduced me to him. Once I’m gone, my friend will explain everything to your parents if you want him to."

"You are so proud of yourself that you got to see me, aren’t you?"

"Not proud, A.J.," she said, her voice breaking. "Relieved. Very relieved and grateful."

"Why? What is it you *think* I’m going to help you with? I don’t owe you anything, Courtney, and, years ago, you made it damn clear to me that you wanted nothing to do with me, so what kind of a sick game are you playing? And why are you using your son as a pawn?!"

"Jesse is not a pawn," she defended, lifting her son into her arms and holding him protectively. "He means the world to me, A.J. I will not let my son grow up the way Michael did. I think about Michael every day. I think about how my brother and his wife died. I think about the guilt I know Jason carries with him every day. Do you remember when we first got together how you kept that check for me and how you told me that all I had to do was take it if I ever needed it? That I was free to leave at any time? You even gave me a key to the drawer. Do you remember that, A.J.? Do you?!"

A.J. nodded. "I did that to assuage my guilt at the way I was using you at that time."

"I wish I had that check right now. I wish it could be that easy. I wish I could unlock a drawer, take the damn check, and forget I ever saw this place. I need to get help for my son, A.J. My mother is in Europe. She’s waiting for me. If I had that check, I would disappear. Forever."

A.J. folded his arms across his chest. "You want me to give you money. That’s what this is all about."

"Yes," Courtney said, wiping the tears from her eyes. "I do need money."

"Why me? If you have a friend who’s on the staff of the New York Times and Jason is still in the picture and obviously, your son has a father, why the hell do you need money from me?!"

"My friend cannot help me with money," she said, shaking her head sadly. "I gave him some information one time, and he’s helped keep me safe and out of the line of fire, but that’s all. Jason and I are divorced, and my son’s father is dead."

"Is Jason alive?" A.J. asked, a sickening feeling beginning to take root in the pit of his stomach.

Courtney nodded. "I don't know why I care, but I do. He’s in trouble, A.J. He needs your help, too, but I need to get out of the country first."

"What happened to him?!" A.J. demanded.

Courtney’s blue eyes flashed with anger and then with regret. "He came back here to avenge Sonny’s and Carly’s deaths," she said, her voice low. "He thought my son was his child. I told him I had proof he wasn’t the father, but he didn’t believe me." She rocked Jesse as she relived the nightmare in her mind. "He went after my son’s father. He shot and killed him. I couldn’t stop him, A.J. I tried, but I couldn’t stop him from killing my son’s father!"

A.J. ran a frustrated hand over his mouth. "Were you with a rival? Is that who you were with, Courtney?!"

She nodded as tears spilled down her cheeks. "Jason didn’t want me anymore. He said when we went into hiding, I was on my own. He was going to meet up with Brenda somewhere. At least, that’s what he told me. I never left. Right after Sonny and Carly died, I found out I was pregnant. I told Jason not to worry about me. That I would take care of myself. I said I was severing all ties with him, and whatever happened, it wouldn’t be on him. I told him I wanted a divorce. He didn’t fight me. He took care of it very quickly and quietly. I’m sure he was glad to be rid of me."

"But he didn’t know you were pregnant," A.J. guessed.

Courtney shook her head.

"So he comes back and finds you with a child and thinks you’re lying to him. Plus, why would he allow a mob rival to raise his son when he wouldn’t let *me* near the boy I believed was my own son?!"

"Yes, okay!" Courtney yelled, and then immediately cuddled her son and rubbed his back to soothe him. "That’s what happened. I was with the man responsible for Sonny’s and Carly’s deaths, but I didn’t realize it until Jason accused him of having planted the bomb in their limo. When Jesse’s father taunted Jason with that fact and then boasted that his ex-wife was with him and that I had given him a son, Jason lost it. He killed Jesse’s father right in front of me and my child. I’ll never forget that night for as long as I live! It haunts me day and night, and my son is paying too high a price! I just want my freedom! Please, A.J.! Help me! Help Jesse!"

Courtney held her son closer as loud sobs escaped her throat. A.J. brought her a glass of water and some tissues and held Jesse in his arms while she pulled herself together.

"I know I have absolutely no right to ask this, but will you help us, A.J.?" she pleaded, looking older than her years when she stared up at him.

A.J. looked from Jesse to Courtney to Vincent and then up at the ceiling before he replied.

"Does Jason know you’re here?"

"Yes. I told him I would tell you that he needs help, too. I’ll call him," she said, pulling out her cell phone from her purse and punching in his cell phone number.

She took Jesse from A.J. and then handed the phone to him. A.J. didn’t know what to say when he heard his brother’s voice for the first time in eleven years.

"Hello?! Courtney, is that you?"

"No, Jason," A.J. said, amazed at how just hearing his brother’s voice could affect him. "It’s A.J. Courtney’s here with her son, and she wants me to help her get out of the country."

"Will you help her, A.J.? I messed up big time. Her son is paying for my stupidity. It shouldn’t be that way. She needs to get out of this mess. She has a son to raise."

"Yes, she does," A.J. agreed, thinking about how Keesha had raised their daughter all by herself for almost sixteen years and how grateful he was that she hadn’t faced the problems he knew Courtney was already dealing with. "I’ll help her," he continued, staring at his ex-wife to make sure she heard his words, "but I want it understood that I’m doing this for Jesse. And only Jesse."

"Thank you, A.J.," Jason said. "I mean that."

"You don’t sound too good," A.J. said, realizing that later, much later, he would reflect on the words Jason had said to him about how badly he had messed up. "Where are you? I’ll tell Dad. I’m sure he’ll come help you."

"I’m in an abandoned warehouse near the end of the pier. If Alan could come, I’d appreciate it."

Before A.J. could say anything else, he heard the phone drop to the floor. A few seconds later, the connection went dead.

Chapter 46 by pinkrose

Chapter 46

A.J. pulled Vincent aside and talked to him in private about how to handle the situation with Courtney.

"Nothing can be traced back to me," A.J. told him.

The dark-haired man nodded. "I understand."

"Make sure she and Jesse get on the plane and make certain you are not being followed."

"Will do."

"Call me on my cell if you run into any problems. Once the plane has taken off, call me. Okay?"

Vincent nodded.

"Put your disguise back on," A.J. instructed Courtney. "Vincent knows what to do. If you try *anything*, Courtney, you will be sorry. Very sorry."

She shook her head. Her voice sounded drained when she spoke. "I just want to get on that plane."

"Let's go then," Vincent said, nodding towards A.J. to let him know he had the situation under control.

"There's one more thing I should tell you," Courtney said, looking at A.J. "Once I've contacted my friend at the Times, he's going to print a story announcing that Jesse and I have died."

A.J. couldn't hide his shock.

"It's the only way to end this," she said, sounding defeated. "There's not much left of any of us, which is probably a good thing. If you see Jason, you'll know what I'm talking about. Thank you, A.J. I know I don't deserve your help, and there's no way I can repay you, so..."

"You told me about Jason," A.J. said. "I witnessed, first hand, what Sonny's and Carly's deaths did to Michael. I wouldn't wish that kind of grief and despair on anyone. Not even you or Jason."

Courtney nodded. When she would have reached out to touch him, A.J. backed away.

"This is strictly business. I'm doing this for your son. And this is it, Courtney. I never want to see or hear from you again. If you think my staff was protective before, you'd better believe you will never get near me again. Ever!"

*~*

A.J. answered the knock on his door a few minutes later and admitted his father into the room.

"Vincent said you needed to see me. What's going on?"

"First of all, I want to thank you for what you did this morning. Facing the press couldn't have been easy, and I would've never asked you to do that for me."

"I know, but I wanted to. I know how hard you've worked to maintain your sobriety. I wanted to do something *for* you, A.J."

"That means a lot to me. Thank you."

Alan smiled at his son. "You're welcome."

"The other reason I wanted to see you was to tell you that Courtney was here. She needed help, so I did what I could. She has a young son, who is not Jason's by the way. He witnessed something horrific, and it traumatized him. I couldn't not help him."

"She's not with Jason anymore?"

A.J. shook his head. "Apparently, they're divorced. I talked to Jason, briefly. Very briefly. I'm not sure what's going on with him, Dad, but he needs you. He's in an abandoned warehouse near the end of the pier."

"He's here?!" Alan exclaimed.

"Yes. I'll tell you the rest of what I know later, but right now, you should go to him."

"What am I going to encounter?"

"I honestly don't know."

"Should I call Mac?"

"It's up to you, Dad. I don't want to make that decision."

"Good thing I have my medical bag in the car. I'm on my way."

"Call me later," A.J. said.

"I will."

A.J. couldn't bring himself to tell his father that he didn't know whether he would find Jason dead or alive.

*~*

Alone in his hotel room, as A.J. tried unsuccessfully to erase the image of the haunting look in Courtney's eyes and the sound of Jason's weary, pained voice, a sudden and intense craving for alcohol consumed him. He wanted nothing more than to savor the taste of the smooth vodka as it slid down his throat. He saw himself at the bar, holding a glass in his hand. Trying to shake off the mental image, he gripped the counter and forced himself to concentrate on something else. Anything else. But the need grew stronger. He wanted vodka, and he wanted it now!

A.J. called on everything he had ever learned in AA and had preached to others in a desperate attempt to will himself *not* to give in to his craving. Glancing at the table, he saw his cell phone. He grabbed it and within seconds, he had made the call. Help was on the way, and it couldn't get there a moment too soon.

*~*

Skye and Tom arrived a short time later, ready to do whatever was required to help A.J.

"Are you doing any better?" Skye asked, grabbing A.J.'s hands to stop them from shaking.

"Not really. I would give anything for a drink."

"We're going to get you to a meeting."

"No! I can't do that. I have to stay here. Julianna is coming. We're going to the hospital to see Keesha."

"Do you really want your daughter to see you like this?" Skye asked pointedly.

"Just talk me through this. I need to get my mind off of liquor."

"You need a meeting," Tom said matter of factly.

"Julianna will understand," Skye said. "I'll take you to the meeting. Tom will stay here. If Julianna arrives, he'll explain the situation to her."

"She won't know why this happened. I want to be the one to talk to her."

"That's fine," Tom said. "I'll keep her company until you get your craving under control. That's your first priority, A.J."

"Tom's right," Skye said. "Your daughter will understand."

After his weak protests fell on deaf ears, A.J. agreed to attend a meeting.

"I need to take my cell phone," he told them. "I'm expecting a couple of very important calls. If Julianna wants to go to the hospital without me, that's fine, but tell her I'll call her."

"I'll let her know," Tom assured his friend.

"Thank you," Skye said to her husband after she kissed him.

"He's in pretty bad shape," Tom said. "If he doesn't show improvement after one meeting, I'd stay for another."

"That's what I plan to do. There is no way he's losing his sobriety after all this time. I don't care if we have to stay for fifty meetings."

*~*

Tom saw the look of confusion on Julianna's face when he admitted her into A.J.'s hotel room.

"Where's my father?" she asked, looking around.

"Let's sit down," Tom suggested.

Instantly on alert, Julianna took a seat on the couch. Tom sat next to her.

"What's going on?" she asked. "We're ready to go to the hospital."

Tom rubbed his hands together as he spoke. "Julianna, your father is at an AA meeting."

"AA meeting? Why? What happened? I talked to him this morning and he seemed okay. Is this because of that reporter?!"

"We're not really sure what triggered his alcohol craving, but Skye is with him, and she's going to make sure he gets past this without taking a drink."

"I don't understand," Julianna said, rising from the sofa. "He seemed to be doing so well. He never talks about wanting a drink. He never talks about alcohol at all. I just assumed..."

Tom rose to stand in front of the young girl who looked puzzled and lost. "You can't assume," he gently explained, his blue eyes filled with compassion. "Not with a recovering alcoholic, no matter how long he or she has been sober."

"Is this because of Mama? Was it too much for him? Are we causing him stress?"

"I honestly don't know what happened, but even if I did, it's not my place to tell. Your father wants to explain this to you, Julianna. But first, he has to get his craving under control."

She nodded. "Of course. I understand."

"Do you want to go to the hospital with Dara and Justus?"

"Yes. I want to see my mother. But tell my father to call me. I have to know he's okay."

Tom smiled. "I think your father is going to be just fine."

*~*

"Are you feeling better?" Skye asked A.J., after they had attended their second AA meeting.

They sat in a nearby coffee shop.

A.J. took a sip of the strong coffee and nodded. "I think the worst is over."

"You finally stopped shaking halfway through this last meeting. Do you want to attend one more?"

A.J. shook his head. "I'll be all right."

"I'm not leaving you until you are."

A.J. leaned back in his chair. "What is it about this town, Skye? Why do I let it affect me so much?"

"Isn't this where it all started for you?"

"In some ways, but actually, I started drinking when I was in boarding school."

"But it began because of your family, right?"

"Yeah, that's true."

"What caused the craving today? I thought you would be ecstatic about how well Keesha is doing. Although I know being happy doesn't mean you can't want a drink."

"I am very happy about Keesha, and I want more than anything to be with her right now. I had an unexpected visitor this morning."

"Who?"

"Courtney."

"What?! Courtney?! A.J., what are you talking about?"

"She wanted to see me, and she found a way."

"Why, A.J.? Why is she bothering you?"

"Courtney needed my help if you can believe that. She's divorced from Jason, or so she says, and she has a young son by another man. Jesse is the boy's name. He was traumatized by something Jason did. I had to help them, Skye."

She looked at him with skeptical, cynical eyes. "What did she want from you?"

"Money. To get on a plane and meet her mother in Europe."

"And you did that for her?"

"No," A.J. said, making sure his friend understood his reasons. "I did it for her son. I talked to Jason, too."

Skye almost choked on her coffee.

"And you're wondering *why* you had a craving for vodka?! I'm surprised Tom and I didn't find you at the hotel bar!"

"The good thing is the need for alcohol paralyzed me or that's exactly where you may have found me, and it would've been too late. I thought I would be stronger by now, you know? I expected more from myself. I really believed I could handle anything. But I guess I'd better start accepting the fact that I will always have hills to climb and issues to deal with."

"Do you think coming back here has helped or hindered you? You’ve been dealing with a lot of things since returning. It’s not unrealistic to expect that you would want alcohol."

"I’m not sure, but there’s one thing I know, Skye. These last eleven years *cannot* have been in vain. I cannot lose everything I’ve achieved, and I’m not just talking about my work and my reputation. I’m talking about my sanity, my peace of mind, my relationships with Julianna and Keesha. I need my sobriety now more than ever. If these cravings continue, I know I’ll go out of my mind."

"I won’t let that happen, A.J., and neither will Tom."

"I appreciate that very much," he said sincerely, "but I have to be honest with you. I don’t plan to spend much more time in this town."

"What about Keesha and Julianna?"

"I can’t see Keesha wanting to stay here once she’s back on her feet."

"But what if she does, A.J.? What will you do if Keesha and Julianna decide to stay here?"

*~*

Julianna tiptoed into Keesha’s room. She smiled when she saw her mother was awake and looking at her.

"Hi," Keesha said, her voice sounding weak.

"Hi, Mama," Julianna said, sitting down next to her bed. "How are you?"

"I’m pretty out of it," Keesha said. "The morphine drip is wonderful."

Julianna chuckled. "My mother the druggie."

"For now."

"I know you need it. I’m glad it’s helping."

"How are you?"

"I’m fine. When Nikolas told Daddy and me that you’d made it through the operation, I don’t think I’ve ever been happier. Mama, you’re going to be healthy again! Isn’t that wonderful?"

"Yes, it is. I can’t wait until I start to feel better."

"You will, Mama. Soon."

Keesha nodded. "I’m thankful I’m alive and that I get to spend time with you. I was so afraid I was going to..."

"I know, Mama," Julianna said, smoothing her mother’s brow. "But don’t talk about that. I’m here, and I’ll stay with you as much as the nurses will allow."

"Thank you. I like knowing you’re here."

Julianna clasped her mother’s hand in hers. Keesha felt her daughter’s warmth and within minutes was sound asleep.

*~*

After A.J. received the call from Vincent letting him know that everything went smoothly with Courtney and Jesse, Skye called Tom and found out that Julianna had gone to the hospital.

"Do you want to go to the hospital?" Skye asked A.J.

He nodded.

"Meet us at GH," Skye said to her husband. "We’re on our way."

*~*

Julianna spotted Skye and A.J. as soon as they stepped off the elevator. She raced to them and threw her arms around her father.

"Are you all right?"

"Yes," A.J. said, hugging her. "I’m okay."

"You didn’t drink, did you, Daddy?"

A.J. heard the concern in his daughter’s voice, and his heart constricted. He pulled away from her so he could look into her eyes and so she could know he was telling the truth.

"I didn’t drink a sip of alcohol, Julianna. I wanted to, but I didn’t. Skye and I went to two AA meetings instead."

Julianna nodded and hugged her father once more.

"I’m glad you didn’t drink, Daddy. I’m thankful you got the help you needed."

A.J. looked at Skye and smiled in appreciation. "So am I, baby girl. So am I."

*~*

After talking with Dara, Justus and Tom, A.J. headed for Keesha’s room and was stopped by his father, who looked very somber.

"Dad! I've been waiting for your call."

"The news isn’t good, A.J."

He tensed as he prepared himself for the worst. "Is Jason dead?"

"No."

A.J. breathed a sigh of relief.

"But he is very out of it. Disoriented. Going on and on about how Sonny and Carly dying was all his fault and how he messed up trying to avenge their deaths. I finally sedated him but not before Mac and Taggert showed up to arrest him for murder."

"Where is he?"

"He’s here, in a secluded room with a guard posted outside. When he comes to and is a little more coherent, he’s going to be given a psychiatric examination. I don’t believe he’s competent enough to stand trial, should it come to that. In my opinion, he needs a long rest somewhere."

A.J.’s gaze narrowed. "Are you talking about Ferncliffe?"

"Yes, except I wouldn’t send him to Ferncliffe. He needs to be out of the country."

"Like a clinic in Switzerland?"

"Yes," Alan said. "Something like that. I’ll let you know if and when Jason is lucid. I’d like you to see him."

A.J. nodded, grateful for the reprieve. He knew there was no way he could’ve handled visiting his brother. All A.J. wanted to do was to spend time with Keesha. He needed the tranquility she never failed to provide.

*~*

"Hi," Keesha said softly when A.J. entered her room. "I’ve been waiting for you."

"How are you?" he asked, taking a seat next to her bed.

"I’m using the morphine drip, and I feel wonderful. Our daughter called me a druggie."

They shared a laugh. A.J. couldn’t believe how much better he felt after hearing her melodious sound.

I need you so much, he thought.

Out loud he said, "I’m glad you’re able to control your pain."

"Me, too. The pain has been unbearable a couple of times when I tried to go without the morphine."

A.J. brushed her hair. "I hate that you’re suffering."

"I expected it, but I hope it eases up in intensity soon."

"I do, too."

"Ellen said everything I’m experiencing is normal. My body is trying to reject the liver, but the anti-rejection medication is doing its job."

"Thank goodness for that," A.J. said.

He reached for Keesha’s hand and held it in his own. The words ceased. They simply gazed at each other for a long moment.

"I love you so much, Keesha," A.J. finally said. "Every time I’m with you I realize more and more what a serious mistake I made in not contacting you. And not just because of Julianna. But because of all I have missed out on by not being with you. You have a way of making things easier, better and more tolerable. I did so many stupid, hurtful things after you left. I tried to justify them, which only made me look even more pathetic."

"I thought we weren’t going to have these kinds of conversations anymore. I thought we moved past the recriminations, the regrets and the ‘what ifs’."

"We did. We have. But I need you to know that I fully realize I’m a better person when I’m with you. And I want you to know that I’m planning to spend as much time with you and our daughter as you’ll allow me. I love you, Keesha, and I want to be in your life."

Hearing his second declaration of love buoyed Keesha into admitting her own feelings for him.

"A.J., I have something I need to tell you, and this is not the morphine talking, so please believe me when you hear what I have to say. Okay?"

Perched on the edge of his seat waiting to hear what she had to say, he nodded.

"I love you. I know you told me you loved me before I went into surgery, and I didn't respond in kind. But you couldn't have given me a better gift to take with me into that operating room. I just couldn't bring myself to voice my love for you until I knew I had some semblance of a future to look forward to. I know there are no guarantees, but I needed to have hope. Something to hold on to. My fears and the unknown kept me from uttering the words, but I prayed you would know what was in my heart. What I was feeling. I love you so much, A.J. I want us to be together. To be a family. That’s all I’ve been dreaming and thinking about since you told me you loved me."

A.J. returned her smile as he tenderly stroked her cheek. "Thank you for loving me. Your soulful eyes convey so much of what you are feeling, sweetheart. I saw your love for me in them, but hearing you say the words is like a balm to my soul. And now, I want you to tell me your dreams, Keesha. All of them. I want to make them come true. For you. I want you to know how very much I love you. I want you to know from this time forward you can count on me."

"I already know that, silly," she said and laughed.

"But your dreams, sweetheart. Tell me about your dreams."

Keesha gazed at him with serious brown eyes. "My dream is that we will always be together, no matter what. Can you make that happen for me, baby?"

"Yes, my darling," A.J. said, kissing her lightly on the forehead when she closed her eyes. "I *want* to make that dream come true. For you. For me. For Julianna. For the three of us. And I want to make it happen soon."

Chapter 47 by pinkrose

Chapter 47

"You can’t sleep?" Julianna asked her father when she saw him sitting at the glass-topped table with only the overhead light turned on.

"Sorry," he said, looking at her. "Did I wake you?"

"No," she answered, sliding into the chair across from him. "I couldn’t sleep either."

"I appreciate you staying with me tonight."

"I wanted to. Dara and Justus understood. Daddy, what happened? Why did you want a drink?"

"I had a visitor, sweetheart. A very unexpected visitor. I didn’t realize how much seeing this person had affected me until she was gone."

"She?" Julianna questioned. "Who was here, Daddy?"

"My ex-wife Courtney."

"She’s the one Grandfather mentioned on TV!"

A.J. nodded. "That was a set up for her to get to me."

"I don’t understand," Julianna said, shaking her head. "She’s married to your brother, right? I thought they were in hiding somewhere."

"According to her, she and my brother are divorced. Apparently, Jason went into hiding, but Courtney didn’t. She has a young son by another man."

"Why did she want to see you, Daddy? Is she causing trouble?"

A.J. shook his head. "No, just the opposite, I do believe. She needed my help. I wanted nothing to do with her, but her little boy, he...he got to me. I thought about all that Michael has endured, and I just...I couldn’t let another child suffer needlessly if I could help him."

"What did you do?"

"I gave her money. Vincent made sure she and Jesse, that’s her son, got on a plane without incident. She’s supposedly meeting her mother in Europe and will get help for her son. I hope that’s what she does."

Julianna stood from her chair and crossed to kneel in front of her father.

"I think what you did is admirable," she said, her eyes shining with love. "You helped someone who needed it--that little boy. You thought about Michael, Daddy. He is so grateful you helped him. I’m sure Jesse would be, too, if his mother ever tells him about you."

"I wish I hadn’t let Courtney get to me, though. Your father is not as strong as he likes to think he is. I talked to Jason on the phone, too. It was too much for me in one day."

"Did Jason say something to upset you? Was he angry that you were helping Courtney?"

"No. He agreed she needed my help. He’s mostly the cause of why she came to me, as ironic as that sounds. Your grandfather went to him and brought him to the hospital. He’s at GH, but he’s not doing very well from what I understand. It’s been quite a day."

"Michael has so many questions. Do you think he will ever be able to talk to Jason to find out why he and Carly played those stupid, hurtful games with his paternity?"

"From what your grandfather said, I don’t believe Michael will be able to talk to Jason any time soon. And I’m not sure Tony would want him to."

Julianna nodded. "What about you, Daddy? Are you going to see your brother while he’s in the hospital?"

"Your grandfather wants me to if Jason is lucid enough."

"Do you think you can handle it?" she asked, not wanting to be unkind but wanting to show her concern.

A.J. smiled. "I know what you’re asking, sweetheart, and the truth is I don’t know. I’m terrified my cravings for alcohol aren’t going to disappear, and yet I know I can’t stop living. I have things I need to do. I love your mother, Julianna, and I want us to be together. All three of us. A real family. I want you and your mom to know that I will be there for you. I cannot give in to my want for alcohol. It would kill me if I did."

"You have to keep going to meetings," Julianna urged.

"You’re right. I do."

"And you have to call on Skye and Tom. They said any time. Remember?"

"I remember, and I will call them if I get too bad."

"I want to help, too, Daddy. I’ll do whatever I can. Tell me what I can do."

"Don’t give up on your old man, okay, sweetheart? I haven’t lost the battle yet, and I pray I won’t. I have way too much to lose, and I would never be able to face you or your mother again. Right now, I’m taking it one minute at a time."

"I believe in you, Daddy," Julianna said, hugging him. "Just like I had faith Mama wasn’t going to die, I have faith you won’t take a drink. We love you so much. We’re here for you, okay? Even though Mama can’t help you right now, know that she loves you and wants you to make it through this."

"Thank you for reminding me," he told his daughter, as he held on to her and thought, once again, how very fortunate he was.

*~*

Since neither one had to be in court until the afternoon and since Julianna was with her father, Dara and Justus decided to linger in bed until mid-morning. But the ringing of the phone disturbed their plans. Justus reached for the cordless phone and said a sleepy "hello."

"Mr. Ward? Mr. Justus Ward?" a female voice asked.

"Yes, this is Justus Ward."

"Mr. Ward, this is Camille Liden of the Weston Adoption Agency."

"Oh, yes, Mrs. Liden. How are you?"

"Very well, thank you. I have a situation I’d like to discuss with you and your wife. Is it possible you could come to my office later this morning. Say around 11:00 a.m.?"

"Let me check with my wife."

Justus covered the receiver with his hand. "It’s Mrs. Liden from the adoption agency. She wants to see us today at eleven."

"Sure."

"Yes, Mrs. Liden. Dara and I can make that appointment."

"Excellent. I look forward to seeing you."

"What do you think it means?" Dara asked, having sat up in the bed.

"I’m not sure. We told that agency we were interested in adopting, but it couldn’t be happening this fast, could it?"

Dara shrugged. "I don’t know, but I’m excited."

"I am, too," Justus said and then frowned. "I think."

*~*

"Are you doing okay?" Julianna asked her father as they ate breakfast at the Grille.

A.J. knew he had to make things as normal as possible for himself. Hiding out in his hotel room was not an option.

"Yes. I’m fine."

Julianna smiled. "Good. Are we going to see Mama after we eat?"

"That’s the plan."

His cell phone rang; he answered it on the first ring.

"Dad! What’s going on?"

Julianna perked up even though she could only hear A.J.’s side of the conversation.

"Jason is a little more coherent this morning," Alan said. "He’s not so edgy. The psychiatric exam is happening this afternoon. Is it possible you could see him this morning? He says he needs to see you. He sounds desperate, A.J."

A.J. checked his watch. "Julianna and I are heading for the hospital in a little while to see Keesha. I suppose I could see him then. Will that work?"

"That’s fine, son. Come to my office. I’ll take you to him."

"Okay. See you soon."

"You’re going to see Jason?" Julianna asked when her father had pocketed his cell phone.

He took a long swallow of his coffee. "It looks that way."

"Dad, can you handle this? I mean, really handle this? Does Grandfather know what happened to you yesterday?"

"No, and I don’t want him to know. I’ll be okay. I can handle this."

I hope, A.J. added silently, realizing he had no idea what waited for him.

*~*

Camille Liden, who looked to be in her thirties with light brown hair, coal black eyes, and skin color a shade lighter than her eyes greeted and seated Dara and Justus in her office and closed the door so they would not be interrupted.

"A situation has arisen," Camille began, "and I decided to discuss it with the two of you."

"Is this about our adoption proceedings?" Justus asked.

"Yes. A few days ago, two black siblings, a boy who is ten years old and a girl who is seven, became orphans. Social services is still investigating, but at present, we cannot find any relatives for these children."

"What happened to the parents?" Dara asked.

"As far as we can tell, their mother was a widow. They were in a car accident. The children survived, but their mother did not, unfortunately."

Dara’s hand flew to her mouth.

"That’s horrible," Justus said.

"Yes, it is. The children, Matthew and Veronica, are at General Hospital. They’ll go into foster care once they’re released. After social services completes its investigation, the children will be put up for adoption if no relative comes forward or wants to raise them."

"Do they know their mother died?" Dara asked, her voice shaking.

Camille nodded somberly. "I visited them and told them the news. Veronica couldn’t stop crying, but Matthew was very brave and said something so awe-inspiring, it brought tears to my eyes."

"What did he say?"

Both Dara and Justus wanted to know.

Camille smiled. "He said his mother was an organ donor, so his mother hadn’t really died. He seemed convinced some part of his mother was living on in someone else. Isn’t that incredible?"

"Yes," Dara said, sharing a questioning look with her husband, "that is extraordinary."

"They seem like great kids, although I haven’t spent as much time with them as I would like to. I’ve been going through our files, and I see that most of our potential adopters would prefer babies or toddlers, and most are looking to adopt one child. I have to do more research, but when I came across your file, I saw that you don’t necessarily want a baby and that you are considering the possibility of adopting more than one child. Are those statements still valid? Have you changed your mind?"

Dara and Justus looked at each other.

"No," Justus answered. "We feel the same way as when we first met with this agency."

Dara nodded her concurrence.

"If the conclusion is that Matthew and Veronica no longer have a place to call home and you and your wife meet all of our qualifications and requirements, would you consider adopting Matthew and Veronica?"

*~*

"I’ll come to your mother’s room once I’ve seen Jason," A.J. said to Julianna when they arrived at the hospital.

She nodded. "Good luck, Dad. I hope it goes well."

"Me too."

A.J. waited until Julianna had disappeared from his view before he headed to his father’s office.

Alan greeted A.J. and motioned for him to have a seat.

"How is Jason?" A.J. asked, his voice anxious.

"He has moments where he is very aware of what’s going on around him, and then he seems to retreat into his own private, dark world."

"Should I visit him, Dad? What if seeing me makes him worse?"

"He’s been very adamant about wanting to see you. I think you can help him, A.J."

"How?" A.J. asked, clearly at a loss.

"By listening to him and hearing what he has to say."

"Okay," A.J. said, sounding resigned. "I’ll see what I can do."

*~*

Jason opened his eyes when he heard footsteps in his room.

"A.J.?" he questioned.

"Yes, Jason," A.J. answered, "it’s me."

Whatever emotions or feelings A.J. thought he would experience at seeing his brother after all this time never materialized, for which he was grateful.  He felt he had control of the situation and could handle whatever Jason had to say.  He willed himself to hold on to whatever it was that gave him this feeling of serenity.

"Thank you for coming."

"You’re welcome. Dad said you wanted to see me."

"Did you take care of things for Courtney?"

"Yes. She and her son should be in Europe."

"Good. I did a terrible thing to her son."

"I know. She told me. Why did you kill that boy’s father?"

"He was responsible for Sonny’s and Carly’s deaths! I couldn’t believe that’s who Courtney was involved with. It was my fault they died, though. It was my responsibility to make sure they were safe. I didn’t do my job. I let Lorenzo Alcazar get too close. I should’ve killed him a long time ago, but Sonny and Carly wouldn’t let me. Why didn’t they let me kill him?! Why did they let that man live?!"

Jason kicked off the blankets as if he were ready to escape from his bed. He talked as though he were reliving the last few years of his life and as though Sonny and Carly were in the room with him. He seemed to have forgotten his brother. A.J. went for help. Bobbie came in and tried to calm Jason down.

"Michael," Jason said.

Seeing Bobbie reminded Jason of Michael.

He looked from her to A.J. "Everything that’s happened to him has been my fault. I caused him to lose Sonny and Carly. Because of my actions he found out what Carly never wanted him to know. I ruined his life!"

"Far from it," Bobbie said. "Michael is doing very well. He has a whole new life, and he’s happy Tony is his father."

"But he went crazy when Sonny and Carly died! I remember that much."

"Yes, he did," Bobbie agreed.

She looked at A.J. and smiled gratefully. "A.J. helped Michael."

Jason stared at his brother.

"You?" he questioned. "You helped Michael?"

"I and many others," A.J. clarified.

"I can’t believe it," Jason said. "Sonny and Carly would hate that you had any part in Michael’s life. Who asked you to help him?"

"I did," Bobbie answered. "And so did Tony. And we would do it again in a heartbeat. Michael and A.J. are friends, and there’s nothing you can do about that, Jason. Nothing at all."

Jason turned his attention to Bobbie. "You haven’t done a very good job of respecting your daughter’s last wishes," he accused.

"Michael is alive, Jason," Bobbie countered. "Sonny and Carly are not. He has a different life now. A much safer one, I’m pleased to say."

"I want to see him," Jason demanded. "I need to tell him how sorry I am that I couldn’t protect his mother and his father."

"I’m not going to let Michael anywhere near you," Bobbie stated. "And I highly doubt his *father* would want him to see you either."

Jason turned pleading blue eyes towards his brother. "A.J. You have to help me. I need to see Michael."

A.J. held up his hands. "I have nothing to do with any of this. If Bobbie and Tony don’t want you near Michael, I totally respect that."

"No!" Jason said, struggling once more in his bed. "You don’t understand! I have to talk to Michael. He needs to know that I didn’t mean for him to lose his parents!"

"He didn’t lose both of his parents," Bobbie said. "He still has his father."

"NO!" Jason yelled. "That’s not what I’m talking about, and you know it! Bobbie, you have to let me see him. You have to!!"

"No, I don’t," she said. "Just like you and Sonny and Carly never let A.J. see him and never so much as thought about telling Tony that Michael was his son, I have absolutely no obligation to let you see Michael. Ever. It’s over, Jason. Michael has a new life. One that will never include you."

"But it’s not the same!" Jason protested.

He tried to get out of the bed. Bobbie held him down.

"I have to make him understand!!"

"He understands, Jason," Bobbie said.

She removed her hands and when Jason didn’t try to get up, she quickly added a sedative to his IV.

"Don’t give me anymore drugs!" Jason protested. "You’re trying to make me go out of my mind, but it won’t work!"

"I have to. You need to calm down."

"I need to see Michael! I’ve got to make him understand!"

"No, you don’t. What Michael understands is that most of his early life was a lie. He’s not being lied to now, and he’s very grateful for that. I will not have you disrupting his life."

"But Bobbie..."

"No, Jason. That’s the end of this discussion as far as I’m concerned. Consider yourself out of Michael’s life. Permanently!"

Bobbie left the room to tend to other patients. When A.J. would have followed, Jason grabbed his wrist and wouldn’t let go.

"You think you won, don’t you?" Jason asked, his eyes and his voice as hard as granite.

A.J. witnessed the 180-degree change in Jason’s demeanor and knew this was what his father meant. He watched, with fascination, sadness and some anger, as his brother rapidly descended into his own private hell.

"None of us has won, Jason. We’re all just surviving and doing the best we can."

A.J. tried to shake loose from his brother’s hold, but he couldn’t. Jason tightened his grip.

"This is not over, A.J. Sonny and Carly don’t want it to be over. They want me to make sure you stay the hell out of Michael’s life!"

"Sonny and Carly are dead, Jason! Let it go! Let me go!!"

"Not until you promise me you'll stay away from Michael! They don’t want you near him!! You’re poison to him! You always have been, and you always will be!! You shouldn’t have inserted yourself into his life."

A.J. saw pure hate on his brother’s face, and delusional or not, he knew it was an image he would never forget.

"You really do hate me, don’t you, Jase?"

A.J.’s honestly spoken words snapped Jason back to the present. He saw that he held his brother’s wrist in a vise grip; he immediately let go.

"A.J., what did I say?" he asked, clearly confused. "What did I do?"

"Nothing that hasn’t been said or thought before," A.J. answered, his voice conveying his disgust as he rubbed his wrist. "I hope you get the help you need. I’m out of here."

After exiting the room, A.J. leaned his back against the wall and continued to rub his sore wrist. He closed his eyes and tried to get his ragged breathing under control.

"Bobbie told me about Jason’s episode," Alan said. "I’m so sorry."

A.J. opened his eyes at the sound of his father’s voice. "He needs help, Dad. He definitely needs help."

"Did he hurt you?" Alan asked, looking at his son’s wrist.

"He grabbed me and wouldn’t let go. I’ll be fine."

"I’m writing up this incident to go along with his psych evaluation this afternoon. I want him to get the help he needs."

A.J. turned back to look at his brother who had his eyes closed. "I have no idea why he was okay with me helping Courtney and Jesse, and yet, he resents the fact that Michael and I are friends. I don’t get it, Dad."

"It’s part of his illness," Alan said, his voice filled with sadness. "He’s not thinking rationally, son."

"Rational or not, I finally have to admit it. I’m sorry, but I have to. Jason and I will never be brothers again. And this time, *I’m* making the choice. I want him out of *my* life. For good."

Chapter 48 by pinkrose

Chapter 48

After leaving work, Dara and Justus arrived at the hospital to see Keesha and also to meet Matthew and Veronica. They walked into Keesha’s room and saw that she seemed more alert.

"Hello," she said, her voice sounding stronger.

"Wow, Keesha," Justus couldn’t help commenting. "You look so much better."

"She’s coming out of her fog," Katie informed them.

"That’s fantastic!" Dara said.

"Are you in much pain?" Justus asked.

"At times," Keesha admitted. "I’m slowly being weaned off the morphine."

"Keesha’s recovering very well," Katie said and smiled. "She may be moved out of urgent care in two days."

"Keesha, we’re so happy for you," Dara said.

"Thanks. Sometimes, I still think this is all a dream, but everyone assures me it isn’t."

"Add us to the list of people who want to assure you this is no dream," Justus said, lovingly squeezing his cousin’s hand.

"You two look a little preoccupied," Keesha said, her eyes darting from Justus to Dara.

"You *are* feeling better," Dara said, amazed at her best friend’s perceptiveness.

"What’s going on?" Keesha asked, sincerely wanting to know the latest.

"We met with the adoption agency again today at their request," Justus explained.

"Did you get good news?" Keesha asked.

"Maybe," Justus said. "Two young children recently became orphans when their mother died in an auto accident. They’re here at the hospital recovering from their injuries. We’re going to visit them."

"That’s so sad," Keesha said, "but if anyone can give them a good, stable home, it’s you two. Good luck. I hope the meeting goes well."

"Thanks," Dara said.

Keesha sensed her friend’s nervousness.

"Just be your wonderful selves," Keesha said. "It won’t be easy, but it’ll be great for those two children to know they have people on their side."

"You’re right," Justus said. "We want to visit them to offer our support, even if we’re not the ones who end up adopting them."

"You guys are the best," Keesha said. "I know things will work out for all of you."

*~*

When Bobbie heard loud music coming from Michael’s room, she thought it was safe to talk to her dinner companion Jerry Jacks about what happened at the hospital with Jason. Jerry couldn’t believe how cruel Jason had been to Bobbie.

"What is his problem?" Jerry asked.

"Well, to be fair, he is going through a major trauma."

"Then why didn’t he keep his mouth shut and not say anything?"

"I guess he felt he had to tell me what he thinks."

"But to accuse you of not doing right by Michael is ridiculous. Tony knows about this, right?"

"Yes, he does. I told him immediately."

"Good."

Jerry gazed into Bobbie’s dark eyes and trailed the pad of his index finger along her cheek.

"I don’t want you taking care of Jason. Let some other nurse take his abuse. You don’t need it, love."

Bobbie smiled and kissed him.

"I like it when you’re concerned about me."

"I’m *always* concerned about you," he said, scooting closer to her on the sofa. "Haven’t you learned that yet?"

*~*

"Julianna?"

Michael turned down his music so he didn’t have to yell into his cell phone.

"Hi, Michael," Julianna said, happy to hear his voice. "How are you?"

"I’m not sure. I just heard something very disturbing."

"What?" she asked, involuntarily tensing.

"I can’t go into the details, but could you do me a big favor?"

"I guess so. What is it?"

"Could you meet me at the hospital around one tomorrow afternoon?"

"Okay, but why?"

"There’s somebody I need to see."

"Why do I get the feeling you’re not talking about my mother?"

"I’m not," Michael said and explained his situation. "Jason is in the hospital, Julianna. And I need to see him."

*~*

"What are you doing here?" Jason asked Monica, after she had entered his room.

"I came to see how you're feeling. Is that not allowed?"

"I already told Alan I don't want any visitors. Don't tell anyone I'm here, Monica. I mean it."

She took several steps closer to his bed. "Not even Emily? I'm sure she would like to see you."

"Before I get shipped off to a mental institution? I don't think so."

Jason sat up straighter in the bed and turned his head away from Monica.

"Alan was speculating about that," she informed her son. "Dr. Lewis hasn't talked to you since your evaluation, has he?"

"No, but I suppose being in some clinic until I'm analyzed to death would be better than rotting in a jail cell. Maybe."

"It would be, Jason. You would have a chance to get well."

He turned steely blue eyes in her direction. "Who says I'm sick?"

Monica stared back just as determined. "I heard you were undeniably cruel to Bobbie earlier. Carly was her daughter, you know."

"Like she ever cared!"

"Who are you to make that kind of a judgment?"

"I know how Bobbie treated Carly. I was there, Monica. You weren't."

"And what about how Carly treated Bobbie?"

"That was Carly's business," Jason defended. "She had her reasons."

"That's how you explained everything, isn't it? Sonny and Carly, and you, and even Courtney, had a reason for everything you did, so how dare anyone else find fault with your lifestyle, your choices."

"That's right," Jason said. "We were a family. It's the only world I've ever felt comfortable in."

"Well, now, you're going to have to find a way to make yourself comfortable in a totally different world."

"Don't you think I know that?!" he yelled. "Tell Alan they can send me off tomorrow. I don't care!"

"It's not Alan's call to make, but I can pass on your sentiment to him."

"Go ahead. I'm sure it's just a matter of time anyway."

Monica's features softened when she saw a flicker of fear enter her son's eyes.

"Getting professional help is what you need. Sonny and Carly are gone, and there is nothing you can do to bring them back. You have to let them go, Jason. You have to."

"Yeah, okay. I get the point."

Jason turned on his side, facing away from Monica.

"Go away, Monica. Just go away and leave me alone."

"I will," Monica said, wanting to place a reassuring hand on her son’s shoulder but feeling as though he would shrug it off, "for now. But I will see you again."

*~*

Carrying a bag that contained several puzzles and coloring books and crayons, Justus spotted Camille standing in front of Matthew and Veronica's hospital room. He and Dara reached her with several quick strides.

"Hello."

"Hi," Camille said, noticing the contents of the plastic bag. "Are those for the children?"

"Yes," Dara answered.

She smiled approvingly. "How thoughtful. I talked with them, and they are agreeable to meeting you. We'll make this visit a short one."

Justus and Dara nodded in understanding. A mixture of nervousness and excitement claimed both of them when Camille opened the door and allowed them entry.

The adorable young children were huddled together on one bed. Their dark eyes conveyed their wariness, along with some measure of curiosity. Justus and Dara remained at the foot of the bed while Camille stood next to the children.

"Matthew. Veronica. I'd like you to meet Dara and Justus Ward."

"Hi," Matthew said, and then quickly looked away.

Veronica didn't say anything, but she looked at Dara for a long time.

Dara smiled and said a pleasant "hello."

"Mr. and Mrs. Ward brought you a few goodies," Camille said. "Would you like to see what's in the bag?"

Matthew nodded; Veronica shrugged.

Dara and Justus took a few steps closer and handed the bag to Camille who placed it on the bed.

"Go ahead and open it," she encouraged both children.

Veronica nudged her older brother to see what was inside.

"Oh, wow!" Matthew exclaimed excitedly.

He pulled out a box that showed a picture of the Statue of Liberty.

"I love puzzles. Especially 3-D ones. How did you know?"

His eyes shone brightly as he carefully examined the box.

"Mrs. Liden was kind enough to tell us about some of your interests."

"Can I work on it in here?" he asked Camille. "I get bored sometimes."

"May I work on it in here," Camille gently corrected. "And, yes, Matthew, you may, as long as it's all right with the nurses."

"I'll ask them," he promised.

"I don't like puzzles," Veronica said unhappily.

"That's okay, sweetheart," Dara found herself saying as she moved closer to the young girl who looked so lost. "What about coloring?"

"I like that, I guess," she said and sighed.

"Here's a coloring book," Matthew said, pulling out an activity book. "And crayons."

Veronica flipped through the book with a smile on her face and then placed it on her lap. She carefully opened the box of crayons. Her black as coal eyes lit up when she saw the vibrant colors.

"I like this," she said and smiled at both Dara and Justus. "Thank you."

"Yeah," Matthew chimed in. "Thanks a lot!"

"You're both very welcome," Justus said.

"May I give each of you a hug?" Dara asked.

Overcome with emotion when the children looked at each other and then nodded, Dara held Veronica tightly to her and then lovingly embraced Matthew.

"Would it be all right if Dara and Justus visited you again tomorrow?" Camille asked.

"Yes," Matthew answered for himself and his sister. "We'd like that."

"Excellent," Camille said. "If you can come in the afternoon," she said to Dara and Justus, "maybe we could arrange for you to spend time with the children on the patio or in the children's play room."

"That sounds great," Justus said. "We'll call you in the morning to set up a time."

"Okay."

"Goodnight," Dara said to Matthew and Veronica.

"We'll see you tomorrow," Justus said.

They nodded.

After the adults had left the room, Veronica took her book and crayons and climbed into her own bed.

"I miss Mama so much," she said, trying not to cry.

"Me, too," Matthew said. "But Mr. and Mrs. Ward seem very nice."

Veronica nodded. "But will they want us to be their children, Matty? Cause if they don’t, what’s gonna happen to us?"

Chapter 49 by pinkrose

Chapter 49

"Hello," A.J. said, walking into Keesha's room. "You look a lot better. How are you feeling?"

Keesha smiled and motioned for him to sit next to her.

"I'm feeling better," she said. "I think I'm moving to a regular room tomorrow."

"That's fantastic!"

They shared a tender smile.

"I think so, too. I missed you yesterday, but Julianna told me you had some things you needed to take care of."

"I wanted to visit," A.J. assured her, reaching for her hand, "but the day got away from me. I'm so sorry."

"No need to apologize. Julianna told me she spent the previous night with you. I was happy to hear that. If you need her to stay with you, tell her, A.J., and she will. She said she liked spending time with you."

"I'm very pleased and relieved to hear that. I'll see how things go. I know this isn't an easy time for her. I don't want our daughter to worry about me."

"I'd like to hear what happened," Keesha said.

"And I'd like to tell you," A.J. said, "but not now. It can wait. I want to concentrate on you and how wonderful your recovery has been. Julianna told me how much better you looked and felt, but I'm still amazed at your rapid progress."

"I am, too," Keesha admitted. "I'm afraid to let myself believe I'm on the road to recovery, but I'm grateful to be feeling so much better. I thought maybe Julianna would be with you. Where is our daughter?"

A.J. smiled. "Our daughter said she needed to help Michael with something. She said to tell you she will definitely see you later."

"I look forward to it. And, Mr. Quartermaine, I hope you don't plan to rush out of here. You can stay with me for a while, right?"

"I can stay for as long as you want me to."

Keesha grinned which made A.J.'s heart soar. "I like the sound of that."

*~*

"Thank you so much for meeting me here," Michael said to Julianna when he reached her.

She had been standing on the front steps of General Hospital, awaiting his arrival.

"No problem. Have you thought about what you're going to say to Jason?"

"A little," he said, taking her hand and leading her into the hospital.

"You're doing this like an old pro," she marveled.

"Because you're with me," he responded truthfully.

"Do you think you'll get past the guard?" she asked as they rode the elevator to the seventh floor.

"I'm going to tell him who I am. I guess it'll be up to Jason, but he better want to see me."

*~*

Dara and Justus stepped onto the patio and warmly greeted Camille, Matthew and Veronica, who had been awaiting their arrival. They sat at a round table, covered by an umbrella. Seeing the pitcher of ice water on the table, Justus poured the clear liquid into glasses for Dara and himself. Veronica and Matthew had juice, and Camille had her glass of water in front of her.

"Did you sleep well?" Dara asked the children.

They both nodded shyly.

"Sandy, our nurse, said I could work on the puzzle," Matthew offered, with no prompting. "She liked the picture."

"That's great," Justus said.

"I made this for you, Mrs. Ward," Veronica said, pushing a page from the coloring book towards Dara.

"Thank you, sweetheart," Dara said, genuinely touched. "And please. Call me Dara."

Veronica gave her a cute smile and then hid her face.

"The children received some very good news today," Camille said. "The doctor said their injuries are healing nicely and that they'll be released from the hospital very soon."

Matthew and Veronica exchanged worried glances. They weren't so sure that was good news. Where would they go? What would happen to them?

"We're glad to hear you're getting better," Justus said, speaking for himself and Dara.

"We want to get out of the hospital," Matthew said, with his sister nodding in agreement, "but where will we live?"

The three adults looked at each other. With Camille's silent consent, Dara decided to ask the defining question.

"Do you think you might like to try living with us?"

*~*

The tall, well-built guard, with blonde hair and blue eyes, entered Jason's room and announced Michael as a visitor. Jason couldn't believe it. Had Bobbie or Tony relented and allowed Michael to see him?

"Send him in."

"He's got a girl with him."

"Fine. She can come in, too."

Firmly clasping Julianna's hand in his, Michael took several deep breaths and then entered Jason's room, ready to speak his mind, but Jason asked the first question.

"How did you know I was here? Your grandmother told me she would never let me see you. Michael, I'm so relieved I get a chance to tell you how sorry I am about your parents dying while on my watch."

"You mean my mother, don't you? Sonny was *never* my father. But that doesn't matter," Michael said. "What does matter is that I need some answers, Jason. From you."

He gave him a guarded look. "What kind of answers?"

"I need to know why you and my mother covered up and outright lied about my paternity. Why did you do it, Jason? Why did my mother do it?!"

Jason turned his head away from Michael's accusing stare.

"The truth is out," he said. "There's no need to discuss that topic."

"No need?!" Michael practically yelled.

He stormed closer to the bed and forced Jason to look at him.

"You never cared about me, did you? Every last thing you, my mother and Sonny said to me was a damn lie, wasn't it? Wasn't it?!"

Jason sat up straighter in the bed. "Michael, how can you say that? Everything we did, we did for you. To protect you. To keep you with your mother! To keep you with the only family you had ever known."

Michael balked. "That's a laugh. The only family *I'd* ever known? Don't you mean the only family you and my mother ever let me know?! Who the hell were you to decide who my family was going to be?!"

"That was your mother's decision."

"Because she had some sick fantasy that you were really my father! How could you have gone along with that?!"

Jason shrugged. "Your mother made some bad choices, men wise. She tried to rectify one of them."

"By letting A.J. believe he was my father with no right to me. Ever. Because you and Sonny made damn sure of that, didn't you?!"

"I told you, Michael, it's what your mother wanted. I don't see why you're so upset. You're with your father now, and I understand A.J. is in your life. You made out all right."

Michael wasn't sure if he wanted to punch Jason, the wall, or both. All he knew was this conversation was definitely testing his anger management. But he needed to see it through. He had to.

"Let me tell you something, Jason. My father, my real father, is in my life, and I couldn't be happier. It's nice to finally understand what 'normal' is. Why am I not surprised you can't understand that. Oh look, my father doesn't carry a gun and go around shooting people. What's up with that? He doesn't throw temper tantrums either or break expensive glassware every two seconds when something upsets him. How abnormal can someone be?"

Jason pointed an accusing finger in Michael's direction. "You don't know what I've lost, Michael. You don't know what we've all lost. Yes, you lost your mother and Sonny, and I'll never be able to forgive myself for that, but we've all suffered. Not just you."

Julianna could no longer hold her tongue. "You are unbelievable. You are going to lie there and make Michael feel guilty for what you caused him to lose?!"

"Julianna, it's okay," Michael said, placing his hand on her arm.

But it wasn't all right with her, and she was going to let her uncle know about it.

"Who are you?" Jason asked, his tone icy, which matched his stare.

"Under any other circumstances, maybe we could've gotten to know each other, even become friends, but it's way too late for that."

"That doesn't answer my question."

"This is Julianna Ward," Michael said. "She's my best friend, and she just happens to be Keesha and A.J.'s daughter."

"Keesha? And A.J.?"

"Yes," Julianna said, squaring her shoulders. "I just met my father recently, but I've come to love him. I know about your history with my father, but I also know how much he's helped Michael. He loves Michael as if he were his own son, despite everything you guys tried to do to him. Just for the record, the things you and Michael's mother and Sonny did to Michael and my father were vile and disgusting! And your treatment of my mother after your accident was absolutely despicable!"

"So A.J. has another champion. Why am I not surprised? And it's Keesha's daughter, no less. How convenient. Michael, there's nothing I can do about your relationships now, but you'd better think about the consequences of allowing A.J. into your life. As well as his daughter."

"Oh, you mean like actually being happy for the first time in my life? Or having something to look forward to besides more sadness and senseless tragedies? A.J. has been wonderful to me, and so has Julianna. I couldn't imagine two better people to 'allow' into my life. Keesha is great, too. But really, Jason, I *so* appreciate your concern about my welfare. Too bad you never thought about it when it really counted!"

"You're scaring me, Michael. You sound like A.J. You had a good life. You were surrounded by people who loved you and cared about you until, unfortunately, it all fell apart."

"I'm scaring *you*?!" Michael said, incredulous. "This is the first time in my life I haven't been scared! But I really wouldn't expect you to understand that. In fact, I'm sure you haven't comprehended much of this conversation. That's fine. You want to think I'm in danger now, fine. Think it. I couldn't care less. You don't want to answer my questions. That's fine, too. But this is it, Jason. I am stating, right here, right now, that you are out of my life. I never want to see you again! Don't you *ever* dare try to contact me because I will not acknowledge you. And don't you dare try to hurt anyone in my family, my *real* family. Do us all a favor and leave us the hell alone!"

Michael fled the room, followed closely by Julianna, who took a shaking Michael into her arms and held him while he calmed down.

"I have come to loathe that man," Michael said, when he had composed himself. "How could I have ever thought he was cool? Why did I ever think he was someone to be admired and emulated? And how could I have treated A.J. so badly when I was younger?"

"Because you believed in Jason. You listened to your mother go on and on about how wonderful and perfect he was. Isn't that what you told me?"

"Yeah, but how could I not have seen how cold and ruthless he could be?"

"Probably because he never showed that side of himself to you."

"But your father was treated to that side of him on more than one occasion. Sonny treated him horribly, too. How could my mother have aligned herself with these reprehensible men?"

Unfortunately, Michael knew the answer to that question.

"Because she was no better than either of them," he said, with a bitter laugh. "What a great team they made, huh? And once they added Courtney to the mix, things just got so much better. Not. At least, she escaped them."

"Sort of," Julianna said.

Michael looked at her in surprise. "What do you mean?"

"She came to my father for help."

"She did?!"

Julianna nodded.

"And let me guess," Michael said. "Your father helped her."

"Yeah, he did."

"Does Jason know?"

"Yes. My father said Jason's actually the reason Courtney called him, but do you want to know why my father agreed to help her?"

"Why?"

Julianna smiled and reached for Michael's hands. "Because of you, Michael."

"Me?"

"That's right. Courtney has a small son who apparently had a very traumatic experience. I'm not sure what happened to him, but my dad said the little boy needs help. That's why he assisted Courtney. He thought about all you've endured, Michael, and he didn't want another child to suffer the way you had if he could help it."

"I hope he told Jason."

"He was going to see Jason yesterday, but I'm not sure what happened between them."

Michael gave Julianna a heartfelt hug.

"I'm so glad you and A.J. and Keesha are in my life. C'mon. Let's go see your mom."

*~*

Keesha's dark eyes lit up when Julianna and Michael walked into her room. A.J. smiled at them, too.

"Dad! I didn't know you were going to be here."

"Your father and I are having a nice, long visit. It's been wonderful."

Julianna kissed her mother on her cheek.

"You look better than you did yesterday."

"Your mother is a remarkable woman," A.J. said.

"You do look well, Keesha," Michael said. "I'm so glad the transplant is a success."

"Thank you, Michael."

"Did you two take care of whatever the pressing matter was?" A.J. asked his daughter.

Julianna and Michael shared a guilty look.

"Should we tell them?" Julianna asked him.

"Sure. Why not. It's over now."

Michael and Julianna held hands as they told Keesha and A.J. about their visit with Jason.

"Jason is here?!" Keesha exclaimed. "In this hospital?!"

"Yes, Mama, he is."

"I can't believe you saw him," A.J. said. "Does your grandmother know? What about your father?"

"They don't know," Michael said. "It's something I had to do. I'll tell them. Later."

"How did you find out he was here?" A.J. asked, hoping his daughter hadn't been the one to tell him.

"I overheard my grandmother talking to Jerry about him being in this hospital."

"He knows about you?" Keesha asked Julianna.

She nodded, her head held high. "I was proud to tell him who my parents are. He didn't like it, but I truly don't care what he thinks. Not after the way he treated Michael and the way he's treated you and Daddy."

Keesha held out her hand towards Julianna. "Baby girl, I never wanted you to get in the middle of things with...Jason. Of all people."

"It's okay, Mama. He didn't upset me that much. I told him a few things. You should've heard the way he was talking to Michael just because he dared to ask Jason about the lies he and his mother told him."

A.J. clasped Michael's shoulder. "Seeing Jason couldn't have been easy for you. Are you all right?"

"I will be," Michael said. "As long as I never have to see his face again!"

Chapter 50 by pinkrose

Chapter 50

"May we enter to tell all of you some good news?" Justus asked the group still assembled in Keesha’s room.

"Of course," Keesha said. "Come in."

Dara and Justus walked into the room and shared their news about Matthew and Veronica.

"That’s wonderful," Keesha said.

"I agree," Julianna said, hugging Dara and then Justus.

"Congratulations," A.J. said, shaking his cousin’s hand.

Michael offered his congratulations, too.

"Nothing is official," Dara cautioned. "But the children will be released from here soon, and those poor babies have no place to go. So, at least for the time being, they'll be living with us."

"I can’t think of two better people for them to be with," Keesha said, her voice sincere. "You must have a million things to do before their arrival, so Julianna, you should plan to stay with your dad at the hotel. Is that okay, A.J.?"

"Sure. I’d love to have Julianna stay with me."

"Actually," Dara spoke up, "we were hoping Julianna would continue to stay with us. At least in the beginning. We thought the children might like a young person around them. Is that okay?"

"Are you sure?" Keesha asked.

Dara and Justus looked at each other and nodded.

"Okay, then. Julianna, do you mind?" Keesha asked.

"No. I’ll do whatever’s best."

Dara smiled and squeezed Julianna’s arm. "Thank you. We were hoping you wouldn’t mind coming with us to meet Matthew and Veronica."

"I’d like that," she assured them. "Can Michael come, too?"

"Sure. Would you like to meet them, Michael?" Justus asked.

"Yeah."

"Will you excuse us while we steal your daughter and Michael for a few minutes?" Justus asked A.J. and Keesha.

"No problem. See you later."

"Mama," Julianna said, "we’ll come back here afterwards."

"Okay, sweetheart. I look forward to hearing about the kids."

After the room cleared, Keesha motioned for A.J. to sit in the chair next to her.

"What’s up?" he asked, even though he knew what Keesha was going to ask him.

"Jason," she said, "is the reason you didn’t visit me yesterday, isn’t he?"

"Yes," A.J. admitted, "but it wasn’t only Jason."

"I cannot believe he is here in this hospital. What I wouldn’t do to give that man a piece of my mind."

"Keesha," A.J. said, reaching to hold her hand in his, "please don’t do anything foolish. You have to promise me you will stay out of this."

She looked at their joined hands and then smiled at him. "Sweetheart, I can’t get out of this bed. There’s no way I can make it to Jason’s room. Besides, I’m sure there’s a guard or two posted. You know he would never agree to see me."

"There is a guard, and for just this moment, I’m glad you can’t get out of bed."

She frowned at the troubled expression he wore. "I really hate that Jason manages to do this to you every time. And I want to know exactly what he said to Julianna, too, because he had no right to speak to her at all!"

A.J. brushed her hair. "Now who’s getting worked up?" he gently chided.

"I hate that things are going on around me that I can’t be a part of."

"You just need to concentrate on continuing to get better, Ms. Ward. Please, sweetheart," he added in a softer tone, "leave Jason to me. Please."

After a moment, she nodded. "I trust you, A.J. You know that."

"Thank you," he said, and planted a soft kiss on her lips.

"But as soon as I’m completely well," she quickly added, "you are going to tell me everything."

"I promise, I will."

"I love you so much."

A.J. pressed his lips against the back of her hand that he still held in his. "I love you, too."

*~*

"Hello, again," Dara said, after the four of them had entered Matthew and Veronica’s room, "we thought you might like to meet a young lady who is temporarily staying with us. Her name is Julianna Ward. And this is her good friend, Michael Jones."

"Ward?" Matthew questioned.

"Yes," Julianna said, tentatively approaching his bed. "I’m Justus’ cousin."

"Where’s your mommy?" Veronica asked, her voice small.

Julianna turned her attention to the petite child with the big brown eyes. "My mother is in this hospital, too."

"She is?" Veronica asked, her eyes growing wider.

Julianna nodded. "My mother’s been sick, but she’s getting better."

"That’s good," Veronica said, her voice sad. "Our mother died."

Julianna knelt in front of the little girl’s bed. "I know she did, honey. I’m so sorry for your loss."

Veronica tried to keep the tears from spilling down her mahogany cheeks, but she couldn’t do it. Matthew jumped out of his bed and tried to comfort his sister.

"Don’t cry, Ronnie. Please don’t cry."

"Would it be okay if I held her?" Julianna asked Matthew.

"Ronnie, do you want her to hold you?"

Veronica nodded in between sniffles.

"Come here, sweetheart," Julianna said.

She sat on Veronica’s bed and held the trembling child in her lap. Dara bent down and gently rubbed her back while Julianna rocked her and sang a soft lullaby.

"Are you okay?" Matthew asked his sister a little while later.

He still hovered over her.

Veronica nodded. She liked being in Julianna’s arms.

"You sing real good," Matthew said to Julianna.

She smiled and patted his head. "Thank you."

"Can we get you anything?" Dara asked Veronica.

She shook her head.

"How about if Dara tucks you in?" Julianna suggested.

"Okay," she said, willingly leaving Julianna’s arms and letting Dara help her get back into bed.

Dara helped Veronica while Justus assisted Matthew.

"Thank you," both children said simultaneously.

Veronica snuggled in her bed with her favorite stuffed animal while Matthew sat up in his bed to work on his puzzle.

"You’re welcome," Dara said and kissed Veronica on her forehead. "We’re going to leave so you can get some sleep. Okay?"

"I’m not tired," Matthew spoke up. "I wanna work on my puzzle."

"That’s fine," Justus said. "But if you see that your sister is sleeping, don’t make too much noise, all right?"

"All right," Matthew whispered and then giggled.

Justus shook his head, but he laughed, too.

Veronica reached for Dara’s hand. "Will you stay with me until I fall asleep?"

"Of course," Dara said, tears springing to her eyes. "Justus and I will stay for as long as both of you need us."

*~*

"You are amazing," Michael said to Julianna.

They held hands as they headed down the corridor towards Keesha's room.

"How did you know what Veronica needed?"

"I learned from my mother," Julianna replied. "That’s how she comforted me."

"I can’t imagine it," Michael said sadly.

Julianna stopped their progress but continued to hold Michael’s hand. "You mean to tell me your mother never held you in her arms or sang you a lullaby?"

"I’m sure she must have, but I have no memory of it. Actually, Leticia probably did, but again, nothing is coming to my mind."

"Michael, that’s horrible! How could you not have any memories of ever being comforted?"

"Maybe the more violent ones pushed the nicer ones out of my memory bank."

He tried to joke with Julianna, but she wasn’t buying it.

"This isn’t funny, Michael."

"I know, but what can I do? I can’t talk about memories I don’t have. I just hope Matthew and Veronica have some wonderful remembrances of their mother. Those moments need to be kept alive and vivid for them."

*~*

"How did the visit go?" Keesha asked Julianna and Michael when they returned to her room.

"It was very nice," Julianna answered. "Those children are precious, Mama, but so sad and broken. She was crying, so I held her in my arms and sang."

"That’s so sweet," A.J. said.

"You should have seen her," Michael said. "She knew exactly what to do to comfort Veronica."

"Because of you, Mama," Julianna said, reaching for Keesha’s hand. "Thank you."

"You’re welcome."

"Is it okay if I go to Michael’s father’s house with him?"

"I guess so," Keesha said.

"Thanks. Dad, I talked to Dara and Justus and told them I would be staying with you tonight. Is that okay?"

"Of course, sweetheart. You can stay with me anytime."

"Thank you."

She hugged her father and kissed her mother’s cheek.

"I won’t be late," she said.

"I’ll make sure she gets to the hotel safely," Michael said.

"You’re going to your father’s house," A.J. said. "Does that mean you’re going to tell him about Jason?"

Michael nodded. "Yeah. I’m ready to tell him what happened."

*~*

When Michael and Julianna arrived at Tony’s house, Bobbie was there, too.

"Grandma," Michael said, after kissing her cheek, "I...I wasn’t expecting you to be here."

"I needed to discuss something with your father. I’m glad you arrived before I left."

After they all exchanged greetings, Michael told Tony and Bobbie he had something he needed to tell them.

"Of course," Tony said, motioning for everyone to take a seat in the living room, "what is it?"

Michael reached for Julianna’s hand before he spoke. "I did something today that I know neither of you is going to like, but it happened, and I’m not sorry I did it."

"What did you do?" Bobbie asked, her suspicions aroused.

Michael took a deep breath. "I visited Jason at the hospital."

Bobbie and Tony exchanged puzzled and worried glances.

"How did you know Jason was in the hospital?" Tony asked.

Michael looked down at his hand clasped in Julianna’s. "I...I overheard Grandma talking to Jerry about it last night."

He looked at his grandmother, who sat with her mouth open.

"I’m sorry, Grandma. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop on your conversation, but when I heard Jason’s name, I had to know what was going on."

"That was a private conversation," Bobbie scolded her grandson. "You had no business listening in on it."

"I know, but you both know how many unanswered questions I’ve had that only Jason could answer."

"And I told him not to see you!" Bobbie exclaimed.

Tony stood from the couch and ran a hand through his hair. "Like Jason ever listens to what other people tell him."

Michael stood, too. "He better have listened to me because I told him I never wanted to see him again. I meant it, too. I really think he’s flipped out."

"He has, son," Tony said, placing a hand on Michael’s shoulder. "Why do you think we were trying to protect you from seeing him?"

"It doesn’t matter," Michael said. "Mentally unstable or not, he said some pretty cruel things. I told him never to contact me again. He wouldn’t give me what I needed, but he wanted to defend Sonny and my mother to me. You should have heard him. He even went after Julianna."

"You were there, too?" Bobbie asked.

Julianna nodded. "I wanted to be there for Michael, but I had a few things I wanted to say to Jason, too."

Bobbie rose from the sofa and stood next to Tony.

"Michael, I wish you would have told us what you planned to do."

"I couldn’t. You guys would’ve stopped me. I had to do this, Grandma. I wish you could understand that."

"I do," Bobbie said, brushing the hair away from Michael’s eyes. "But what I’m concerned about is the effect this visit is going to have on you."

"I’m fine," he insisted.

"Are you?" Bobbie questioned. "Really?"

"Yes."

"Unfortunately," Tony said, "only time will tell. Your grandmother was just telling me that the nightmares have started to cease."

"They have."

"And you don’t think this visit will cause them to return?" Bobbie asked, not convinced her grandson had thought through the consequences of his visit.

"I’ll make sure they don’t," he said, with more bravado than he felt.

Tony gave his son a sad smile. "You can’t control your dreams, son."

"But I don’t want you guys to start sedating me again," Michael said, his brown eyes darting wildly from Bobbie to Tony.

"We hope we won’t have to," Bobbie said. "When’s your next counseling session?"

"Tomorrow."

"You’re going to tell the counselor about this visit," Tony said.

"Okay," he agreed.

"And we’re going to monitor you," Bobbie said.

"Starting tonight," Tony added. "So why don’t you plan to sleep here?"

"All right," he said, knowing he didn’t have any choice. "I’ll stay here."

"Michael," Bobbie said, lovingly embracing her grandson, "we know what you were trying to do. We’re just concerned that you never stopped to consider how much seeing Jason might end up costing you."

Chapter 51 by pinkrose

Chapter 51

"Whoa, Julianna," A.J. said the next morning as they ate breakfast in his hotel room, "I know you like maple syrup, but please, save some for me."

"What?" she asked, looking and sounding distracted.

A.J. pointed to her plate.

"Oh no!" she cried, seeing the sticky liquid all over, not only on her pancakes, but also on her scrambled eggs and fresh fruit. "What a mess. I’m sorry."

"It’s okay. Here, take my plate."

"No, that’s all right. I’ll just eat my toast."

She pushed the unappetizing plate away from her and then began to nibble on a piece of dry wheat toast.

"Why so out of it this morning?" A.J. asked.

"I was thinking about Michael," she admitted.

"He had a rough day yesterday, didn’t he?"

"Daddy, he’s had a horrible life! But yeah," she continued in a softer tone, "yesterday was pretty bad."

"Did Tony come down hard on him?"

"His grandmother was there, too. They were upset with him for seeing Jason, but their concern was more about how it would affect him than the fact he saw Jason without telling them."

"They have every right to be concerned."

"His dad told him he was spending the night with him. They talked about him having nightmares and having to be monitored and possibly sedated. When Michael and I were alone, I asked him about the nightmares, but he wouldn’t tell me. Do you know, Daddy? Are they really bad?"

A.J. set down his fork and steepled his fingers together.

"Before I attempt to answer your question, I need to ask you one of my own."

"Okay."

"Just how serious are you and Michael?"

*~*

Tony sat at the kitchen table, drinking his coffee, when Michael entered, looking haggard.

"Rough night," Tony said.

It was a statement, not a question.

Michael nodded and poured himself a glass of orange juice before taking a seat across from his father.

"I’m never going to know what ‘normal’ is, am I?"

"Of course you will, son. You were on that road. This is a setback. But it doesn’t mean it won’t ever happen."

"What if it’s too little, too late?"

"What do you mean?"

Michael sighed and slumped in his chair. "I’ve told Julianna a lot of stuff about my past. She asked me about the nightmares last night. I didn’t want to talk about them, so I brushed her off."

"I think that’s well within your rights."

"But don’t you see, Dad? The more things I don’t talk about, the more she thinks I have to hide, and the more frightened of me she’ll become. I’m already bummed that she’ll be leaving as soon as Keesha is able to travel. I wanted to at least maintain our friendship. But I have to be honest with her, too. She’s dealing with a freak, and so is anyone else who gets close to me!"

Michael jumped up from his chair, almost knocking it over, and headed for his room, but Tony got to him before he could slam the door and sat him down on his bed.

"You are *not* a freak, and I will not have you calling yourself one, do you hear me?"

"Then what am I, Dad? You tell me because I’ve run out of adjectives."

"You are a strong young man who has suffered more than his share of grief, and you’re still coping with some devastating losses. That does not make you a freak."

Michael’s voice broke. "How is it that I don’t even have a memory of my mother ever holding me? Ever playing with me? Ever reading to me or singing me to sleep?"

"Michael," Tony said, placing an arm around his son and drawing him nearer, "I’m sure your mother did all of those things. It’s just that you didn’t have that kind of a lifestyle, so other memories are more vivid for you. That’s all."

But Michael was shaking his head. "My mother didn’t have time for me. She didn’t care about me. That’s why I had Leticia. I loved Leticia, and some times, I wished she were my mother! Or at least that she would take me away from that insane asylum called Penthouse 4 so we could live someplace where it was safe! Really safe!"

"I understand that, Michael. I do. And that’s what you have now. That kind of a life is what your grandmother and I want for you, more than anything."

Michael shrugged out of his father’s hold and rose from the bed.

"What if it’s too late?" he asked, his voice low.

Tony stood up and crossed to stand behind his son.

"What do you mean?"

With tears in his eyes, Michael turned to face his father.

"What if I’m never able to have a normal life? Dad, you should have seen Julianna with those children who lost their mother and are in the hospital. She was so natural with them, so giving. Veronica took right to her and even let Julianna hold her. She knew what to do because her mother had shown her. What do I have to offer? I know how to break glassware and throw temper tantrums with the best of them? Oh, I know. I can give lessons on how to punch your fist through a wall when something doesn’t go your way and then blame everyone around you. What if I find out I don’t know how or can’t bring myself to love a woman the way she should be loved? Sometimes, I feel so empty inside it scares me more than anything I’ve witnessed in my life."

*~*

"Daddy, Michael and I are very good friends. You know that."

"Yes. And I don’t mean to embarrass you, but I also see how your face lights up when you’re around him or whenever you talk about him."

"Daddy!" Julianna said, lowering her head.

She couldn’t help but be embarrassed.

"It’s okay, sweetheart," he said, reaching for her hand. "Your mother and I have talked about this."

Julianna looked up. "You and Mama have talked about Michael and me. Why?"

"Because, as your parents, we’re concerned about your social life."

"Dad, I don’t have a social life."

"But you have your friendship with Michael. You two having been spending an inordinate amount of time together."

"But we’re not doing anything, except talking and having a good time."

For the most part, she added silently, fondly recalling the kisses they’d shared that time in the park.

"We believe that, we do. We’re just concerned that other feelings may be emerging as well. Feelings you may not even be aware of."

"Dad, please," Julianna begged. "I don’t want to be having this conversation with you."

"But you do want to know about Michael’s emotional state."

"Because I care about him. Because I hate what he’s been through."

"I understand that."

"I want to help him, if I can."

"I think that’s admirable, sweetheart, but Michael needs to continue with his professional help."

"He said he has a counseling session today."

"Good. I’m glad to hear that. Julianna, you know I think the world of Michael and would do anything for him."

She nodded.

"Then, knowing I feel that way about him, may I give you a piece of advice?"

"Yes," she said, making eye contact with her father.

"Be there for Michael, but don’t push him. If he wants to talk or wants to share an experience with you, let him. But if he wants or needs to be alone, let him be. Michael is still healing. Only he knows how he truly feels and what he can handle. I think it’s great you two want to spend so much time together and enjoy each other’s company, but you’re both very young. Too young to be dealing with issues that only a professional is truly capable of handling. Do you understand what I’m trying to say?"

Julianna nodded. "I need to stop pushing Michael and asking him questions that are none of my business."

"But it’s okay to be there for him."

"I understand. Thank you, Daddy. I’m sorry I put you on the spot by asking you to tell me about Michael’s nightmares."

"It’s okay, Julianna. I know you asked because you care, but sharing the details of those dreams is Michael’s call and no one else’s. I know you respect that, right?"

"Yes," she said earnestly, promising herself she would be there for Michael but not push him. "I do."

*~*

"I talked to our daughter this morning," A.J. said to Keesha, when he visited her that afternoon.

"About Michael?"

"Yes."

"So what is going on between the two of them?"

"She said they’re just very good friends, but she’s worried about him. She was asking me for information about his psyche. I told her it was great she was so concerned about him, but she needs to leave his mental and emotional health to the professionals."

"She cares way too much some times," Keesha acknowledged.

"And she’s too young to try to help Michael carry the burden of his earlier lifestyle."

"Do you still feel uneasy about the amount of time they’re spending together?"

"A little. I was relieved when Julianna said Michael had a counseling session today and that Tony is monitoring him. I don’t want to scare our daughter, Keesha, but Michael’s emotional stability has always concerned me."

"I know."

"I tried to tell Julianna not to push Michael. That if he says he wants to be alone or doesn’t want to talk about something, she needs to respect that."

"She understood what you were saying, right?"

"She did."

"As much as I like Michael," Keesha mused, "maybe it will be a good thing when Julianna and I are back in Philadelphia."

*~*

As they had agreed the previous night, Julianna was waiting for Michael when he finished his therapy session.

"Are you all right?" she asked as they took their time strolling through the park.

Michael told her he’d needed fresh air.

"Yeah, I’m okay," he said, his voice quiet. "But I’m back to seeing my therapist twice a week, at least for the next few weeks."

"It’s okay, Michael," she tried to assure him. "As long as he helps you. That’s the main thing, right?"

"I know. I just...I felt so good when he said I only had to see him once every two weeks. And now..."

"I’m sorry, Michael."

"I have only myself to blame," he said, kicking some sand as they walked through the playground. "I should’ve never visited Jason. I really thought I had my anger under control, but seeing him brought it all to the surface again."

"You’ll get it under control again," she tried to encourage him.

"Hopefully," he said. "Julianna, can we sit on this bench for a minute?"

"Sure."

As they sat together, Michael stared at Julianna’s lovely face as if he were trying to memorize every tiny detail of it.

"What’s wrong?" she asked, feeling uncomfortable under his intense scrutiny.

"I’m sorry," he said, averting his eyes. "I didn’t mean to stare."

"It’s okay," she said, reaching for his hand. "Just talk to me, Michael. Tell me what’s going on."

Then her father’s words came back to her.

"If you want to, that is," she quickly added. "If you’d rather just sit and not talk, that’s fine, too."

"I know you have questions about the scene at my father’s house last night. Julianna, I wish I could tell you that everything is fine, that I’m fine, that I’m as normal as the next guy. But the truth is, I’m not. And I don’t know if I’ll ever be normal, or at least society’s definition of the word ‘normal.’"

"I’m okay with who and what you are, Michael," Julianna said, willing him to believe that.

"You are so incredibly sweet," he said, knowing she was not going to make this easy for him. "But what if...what if I’m not okay with who I am?"

"You mean, right now? Because of seeing Jason?"

"No, just in general. What if I’ve realized I need a lot of work?"

"Michael, what are you trying to tell me?"

"I’m scared, Julianna," he said, trusting her enough to be able to confess one of his innermost fears. "There are times when I don’t feel like a whole person. I like you so much, but this latest incident has made me realize that I may never feel like I’ll be a productive human being. Every time I think I’m making great strides, something happens, and I’m back at square one."

"What if I don’t mind? What if I’m willing to take a chance on you?"

Michael brushed Julianna’s dark locks. "What if I hurt you in the process? Julianna, I’d never be able to forgive myself if I did something that messed you up. You are so beautiful and caring and kind."

"And you’re handsome and caring and kind."

"No," he said, shaking his head. "I’m not, Julianna. I’m confused and angry and capable of throwing things against the wall. That’s who I am."

"Michael, do you not want to hang out anymore? Is that what you’re trying to tell me?"

"It’s not what I want, Jule, but yeah," he admitted, his voice conveying his sadness and regret. "I think it would be for the best if we didn’t see or talk to each other anymore. I’m sorry, Julianna. I’m so sorry."

"I am, too," she said, trying to keep her tears in check, "but I guess this is what my father was trying to tell me this morning."

"What do you mean?"

"My father told me that you might need your space and that you might prefer to be alone. He told me not to push you. I just wanted to be there for you, Michael, because I like you so much, but if you want to be alone, I respect that."

"I hate this, Jule," he said, his resolve weakening when he saw her crestfallen face, "I hate that it’s come to this, but isn’t it better that we part as friends now, before I do something that will make you despise me forever?"

"I don’t know what that would be," Julianna said, wiping a tear from her eye. "I love being with you, Michael. You’re my best friend. You’ve never done anything to hurt me."

"And I want to keep it that way."

Julianna reached out to hug Michael. As he held her close, she let the tears flow freely.

"We were going to be separated anyway," he said, trying to ease the immense sadness he knew both of them felt. "When you go back to Philadelphia, you get to start a whole new phase of your life. You’re going to be so busy, you’ll forget all about me."

"No," she said, her voice defiant as she pulled away to look him in the eye, "I will never, ever forget you, Michael. I won’t. I can’t. I care about you too much."

"I’ll never forget you either, Jule. You’ll always be my best friend. But this is something I have to do."

"Michael, I won’t know what to do if I don’t have you to talk to, so you have to help me. You have to tell me how to get over losing you because I don’t know how to do this."

Chapter 52 by pinkrose

Chapter 52

Julianna tried to compose herself before she entered her mother’s room, but the moment Keesha saw her daughter, she knew something was terribly wrong.

"Julianna, what’s happened? Talk to me."

Her mother’s compassion and immediate concern caused Julianna to dissolve into tears.

"Honey, come here," Keesha said, holding out her arms to her daughter, who was in obvious distress.

Julianna sat on the edge of her mother’s mattress and gingerly hugged her.

"It’s Michael," she said, in between sobs.

"What happened to Michael?" Keesha asked, instantly on alert.

"He...he told me we shouldn’t...shouldn’t see each other anymore. Why would he do that to me, Mama? Why?"

"Oh, baby girl, I am so sorry. I don’t know why Michael would say that. Why don’t you start at the beginning?"

Julianna pulled herself away from Keesha and wiped her eyes and cheeks with tissues from her mother’s bedside box.

"Last night, he asked me to meet him after his therapy session today, so I did. He was quieter than usual, but I knew he had a lot on his mind. He said he needed air, so we walked through the park. He talked some, and then he wanted to sit on a bench, so we did. He started telling me how he doesn’t feel like a whole person and how he never wants to hurt me. Then, he said maybe it would be better if we never saw or spoke to each other again! I told him that wasn’t what I wanted, but it’s what he wants or thinks he needs to do to protect me. Mama, what am I going to do without him?"

Hot, salty tears ran unchecked down Julianna’s mocha cheeks as Keesha held her and tried to offer comfort.

"Michael is going through some things right now," Keesha said. "I bet this will only be temporary. Once he feels he has things under control, he’ll probably call you, sweetheart. Maybe you just need to give him this time."

"Daddy said you and he talked about Michael and me."

"Yes, we did."

Julianna lifted her head to look at her mother’s face.

"You and Daddy don’t like me spending so much time with Michael, do you?"

"No, sweetheart," Keesha said, stroking her daughter’s hair, "that’s not the issue at all."

"I really like him, Mama, and I’m going to miss him so much!"

"I know you do. I truly don’t think he will cut you out of his life forever."

"What’s going on?" A.J. asked, stepping into the room.

Julianna rose from the bed and dried her eyes before facing her father.

"Michael just told me he doesn’t want us to hang out together anymore. He’s scared he’s going to do something to hurt me."

"I’m sorry this happened, but I can’t help believing this is for the best."

Julianna narrowed her gaze. "Did you talk to Michael, Daddy? Did you tell him to stay away from me?"

A.J. couldn’t have been more shocked. "No," he defended, willing his daughter to believe him. "I did not say anything to Michael. I haven’t talked to him, Julianna. I promise you I haven’t."

"You’d better not have," she warned, ready to flee the room as fresh tears threatened to spill, "because I’ll *never* forgive you if you’re the reason he doesn’t want to see me ever again!"

As Julianna ran past him, a helpless and perplexed A.J. looked to Keesha for answers.

"You believe me, don’t you? I swear I did not say anything to Michael about not seeing Julianna any more."

"I believe you," Keesha said, an urgency in her tone, "but, A.J., please. Go find our daughter!"

*~*

After combing the hospital and nearby grounds and even managing to discreetly check Jason’s room, A.J. reached the sad conclusion that his daughter did not want to be found. Dejected and worried, he returned to Keesha’s room.

"Did you find her?" she immediately asked.

"No, Keesha, I didn’t. I’m sorry. I looked everywhere I could think of. But I’m sure she’s okay," he quickly added, trying to ease her fears. "She probably just wanted to be by herself. Maybe she’s on her way to Dara and Justus’."

"Call them, please," Keesha said, pointing toward the phone on the table next to her. "Tell them to call here the minute they see her."

"All right. I’ll call right now. Please, Keesha, you need to calm down."

She nodded and closed her eyes as she tried to get her heart rate under control. When she opened her eyes, A.J. was staring at her, the receiver in his hand.

"You know our daughter’s feelings for Michael run deeper than friendship, right?"

"I know. She loves him. As much as an almost sixteen-year-old can love or have deep feelings for a member of the opposite sex."

"I’m struggling with the concept, but that doesn’t mean I would order Michael to stay away from Julianna."

"I know that, too, A.J., and deep down, so does Julianna. She’ll realize you had nothing to do with this, but we need to find her. I don’t like the idea she’s run off somewhere by herself."

A.J. left messages for Dara and Justus on their home answering machine and on their cell phones.

"They’re probably busy getting things ready for Matthew and Veronica," Keesha said.

A.J. snapped his fingers. "Matthew and Veronica. I forgot about them. Do you know what room they’re in? Maybe Julianna is visiting them."

"I don’t recall Dara or Justus telling us their room number, but there’s got to be a way for you to find out."

"There is," A.J. said.

He gave Keesha a quick kiss on her cheek and told her he hoped to return to her room soon. With their daughter.

*~*

Lesley Lu saw Julianna huddled in the far corner of the hospital courtyard, her eyes hidden by sunglasses. She approached her and asked how she was.

"I’m okay," she answered. "How are you?"

"I’m fine. Mind if I sit down?"

"Go ahead."

Lesley Lu took a seat next to Julianna at the table. She couldn’t help but notice the wad of tissue Julianna fiddled with in her hands.

"Nikolas told me your father is looking for you. He’s very worried."

Julianna nodded. "I’ll see my mother before I leave. I promise."

"So what’s going on?" Lu asked, genuinely concerned.

"Nothing," Julianna lied.

"Really?" Lesley Lu questioned. "Then why are you covering your eyes when the sun is nowhere to be found?"

"I guess that doesn’t make much sense, does it?"

Lu shook her head. "No, not really."

Seeing Lesley Lu’s concerned face, Julianna slowly removed her glasses to reveal her red, puffy eyes. She gasped when she saw how bad Julianna looked.

"Julianna, what’s wrong? It’s not your mother, is it?"

The young girl shook her head. "Mama’s getting better, thank God. It’s Michael."

"Michael? What happened to Michael?"

"We...we’re not seeing each other anymore."

"Are you kidding? You guys have been as thick as thieves."

Julianna shrugged. "He doesn’t want to hang out anymore."

Lesley Lu placed a comforting arm around Julianna’s shoulders. "I’m so sorry. Maybe he’ll change his mind."

"That’s what my mom said, but he sounded pretty definite to me."

"I heard he saw Jason."

Julianna looked at her with surprise. "How did you hear that?"

Lu chuckled. "Believe me, Julianna, *nothing* that happens around here is a secret for very long."

Based on her mother’s experience, Julianna knew that was true.

"But," Lu continued, "you have to remember that Michael’s grandmother is my aunt."

"She’s upset, isn’t she?"

"Yes. She told me Michael will be staying with his dad for a while. Aunt Bobbie loves Michael so much, but she can’t always handle him."

Julianna continued to toy with the tissue in her hands. "Do you think Michael is going to get worse?"

Lu gave her a thoughtful look. "I’m not sure, but I know Aunt Bobbie is counting heavily on Tony to keep Michael from backsliding to where he was a couple of years ago."

Tears sprang to Julianna’s hazel eyes. "I feel so badly for Michael. I wanted to be there for him, but he won’t let me. This is so unfair!"

"I hate to say this, Julianna, but Michael may have done you a huge favor."

Julianna didn’t agree, but she refrained from commenting.

"Hey, how about getting together with Brooke Lynn and me tonight? We’re going to kick back with a pizza and a movie. Would you like to join us?"

"That would be nice. Thank you."

Lesley Lu smiled. "No problem. We can get to know one another better. Tell me what topping you like on your pizza and what your favorite movie is."

"I like pepperoni and any comedy would be great. I need a good laugh."

Lesley Lu rolled her brown eyes. "You and Brooke Lynn and your precious pepperoni. Be adventurous. How about pineapple or anchovies?"

Julianna scrunched her nose; Lesley Lu laughed.

"Okay, okay. Half pepperoni, and half mushroom and sausage it is. Is that okay?"

"That’s fine."

"Come to the apartment around seven."

"Okay. Give me directions from here. I’ll spend some time with my mom and then head to your place."

"Sounds good. See you later. And don’t worry, Julianna. Michael will be in your life again."

She gave her a knowing smile. "I can almost guarantee it."

*~*

"Dad said you’re going to be staying here for a while."

"Yeah."

When Michael returned to his father’s house, Lucas was waiting for him.

"Wanna talk about what’s going on?"

"I messed up, Lucas," Michael said, throwing his jacket onto the sofa. "So what else is new, right?"

"Messed up how?"

"I thought I could handle it. I really thought I could handle it."

"Handle what?"

Michael sat on the arm of the couch and faced his brother. "Seeing Jason. But I was wrong. I was so incredibly wrong and stupid."

"What happened?"

"I wanted him to help me, but he was so smug with me. All he wanted to do was to warn me about A.J. Can you believe that? Julianna told me that A.J. helped Courtney. You’d think Jason could at least acknowledge that. But no. He had to make sure I knew how dangerous A.J. could be, and by extension, his daughter. The man has really lost it."

"So why don’t you accept that and move on? Why do you still care about Jason? Your life does not involve him anymore. Let it go."

"Easier said than done. It’s not even about Jason anymore. It’s about the anger I thought I had resolved only to find out it’s all still there, Lucas, just waiting to ruin my life!"

"Only if you let it."

"Well, I almost lost it in Jason’s room. I was thisclose to punching him. Can you imagine what that would have done to Julianna?"

"I have a feeling she would have applauded. It sounds like Jason was a total jerk."

"Julianna would not have applauded. She would have been horrified. I would have caused that."

"But it didn’t happen, Michael. You managed to keep your anger in check."

"That time. But I have no guarantee it won’t happen somewhere down the road. I can’t take the risk. Not with Julianna."

"Let me get this straight. You’re willing to give up every good thing you have with Julianna on the chance, the chance, that somewhere along the line you might, *might*, lose your temper or lash out at someone in anger?"

"Yes," Michael said, his resolve absolute. "I won’t risk scaring or hurting Julianna. I can’t do it, Lucas."

Michael’s brother shook his head. "I don’t get it."

"There’s a lot about my life I don’t get either."

"So what are you going to do? How do you figure all this out?"

"With Dr. Kevin Collins’ help, I guess. I’m back to seeing him twice a week instead of once every two weeks. Some progress I’ve made, huh?" he said disgustedly.

Lucas scooted closer to him and gave him a serious look. "You know what, Michael? I think you already know what the real problem is that, for some reason, you are unwilling or unable to face. You just have to start digging deeper inside yourself for the solution that will finally free you from all of this."

*~*

"I’m sorry I worried you, Mama," Julianna said as soon as she stepped inside Keesha’s room.

"You worried your father, too," Keesha admonished, even as the relief at seeing her daughter was evident.

"I know. I’ll call or see him later."

"You accused him of something he did not do, young lady. I expect you to apologize to him."

"I will."

"Where did you go? Your father looked everywhere."

"I was in the courtyard. I saw him, and I hid. I’m sorry, Mama. I just didn’t want to talk to him."

"Julianna, your father is not responsible for Michael’s actions."

"If you say that, I believe you. But you have the admit, the timing was weird."

"The timing coincides with you and Michael visiting Jason," Keesha reminded her daughter.

"Yeah, I know. I saw Lesley Lu in the courtyard. She mentioned that."

"You have to consider it, Julianna. I’m sure it’s what triggered Michael’s fears."

"You guys are probably right," she said and sighed. "But that doesn’t make things any easier for me."

"I know, sweetheart, but you can’t fight Michael on this, and I won’t have you pining away for him. You need to spend time with people who want to be around you. Go to dinner with your father or spend time with Dara and Justus. I’m sure they could use your help and would like to tell you more about Veronica and Matthew."

"Actually, Lesley Lu invited me to spend the evening with her and Brooke Lynn at their apartment. I told her I would. Is that okay?"

Keesha smiled. "That’s fine. You should get to know your cousin. And Lesley Lu seems very nice. You can spend the evening with them. Let Dara and Justus know. And, Julianna, call your father. Soon."

*~*

Brooke Lynn opened the door and greeted her cousin with a hug.

"Come in. I’m glad Lesley Lu saw you at the hospital and invited you over. Let me give you a mini tour."

After showing Julianna around their small but cozy apartment, Brooke Lynn offered her a soda from their mini fridge and opened one for herself.

"Make yourself comfortable," she said, pointing to the living room area that had handmade throw pillows everywhere. "Lesley Lu will be here shortly with the pizza and the movie."

"I’ll sit on the floor if that’s okay."

"Suit yourself."

Brooke Lynn, wearing a light pink sweat suit, curled up on the sofa and hugged one of Lesley Lu’s pillows to her stomach. "Lu said you were in pretty bad shape at the hospital. Sorry to hear about the Michael situation."

"Thanks. I keep telling myself it’s going to be okay. It has to be."

"He’s a great guy, but you probably know that better than me. I missed a lot of his early life, but I’ve heard the stories. I know he hasn’t had it easy."

Julianna nodded. "I agree. We communicated by Web cam for a long time. Even though I had actually never met him, I knew he was a good guy. I also knew he was going through a bunch of really bad things. He told me he’s not caring or kind, but I know differently. He must have forgotten how he was there for me when I really needed him. That’s why I wanted to be there for him, but, unfortunately, I won’t have that chance."

"Jason is bad news," Brooke Lynn declared upon seeing Julianna’s sadness. "I know, technically, he’s family, but you know he doesn’t acknowledge the Quartermaines at all. Once our great-grandmother died, he disassociated himself from us totally and completely."

"He told the family that?"

"My dad told me that’s what he said. I’ve never seen the man or not that I remember, anyway."

"I was with Michael when he confronted Jason. I couldn’t believe the things he said."

Brooke Lynn’s dark eyes flashed with excitement. "I heard Michael really told him off."

"Yeah," Julianna said, looking at her cousin as she spoke with a voice filled with sadness. "He did. And look where it got him. And me."

Chapter 53 by pinkrose

Chapter 53

The next morning when A.J. opened his hotel room door, he saw his daughter standing on the other side, looking contrite.

"Good morning," she said. "May I come in?"

"Of course," he replied, standing aside to let her enter.

"Daddy, I’m so sorry," she said, once A.J. had closed the door. "I shouldn’t have accused you of going to Michael behind my back."

"You were upset, Julianna. I understood."

"You forgive me?"

"Absolutely. I’m just glad you’re all right. And that you believe me."

They shared a heartfelt hug and then sat on the divan.

"Are you feeling better?" A.J. asked, studying his daughter’s face.

"I guess," she said, without much enthusiasm.

"Give yourself time. It’ll get easier. We have some good news to celebrate today, you know."

Julianna’s expression brightened. "You mean about Mama being moved into a regular room?"

"Yes. You’re going to the hospital soon, right?"

She nodded.

"Good. How about if we go together? I think your mother would like to see the two of us."

"Sure. That’s fine."

"I need to finish getting ready."

"Go ahead," Julianna said. "I’ll be fine."

A.J. smiled at his daughter, who he knew was anything but fine.

*~*

A smiling Ellen entered Keesha’s room and asked her if she was ready for the big move.

"Yes," Keesha said. "I know getting out of urgent care means I really am doing better."

"You are doing amazingly well," Ellen confirmed, automatically reaching for Keesha’s wrist to take her pulse.

"Can we talk about my getting out of the hospital or is it still too early?"

"No, not at all," Ellen said, after listening to her patient’s heartbeat. "I would say after another week to ten days, if you have no major setbacks, you should be ready to be sprung."

Keesha beamed. "I like hearing that kind of news."

"With lots of restrictions, of course," Ellen cautioned.

"I understand. Is one of those restrictions traveling?"

"Yes. At least, until you have your first complete post-op outpatient exam in my office. There are many variables involved, but one of the most important is that you are taking the correct anti-rejection medication. I need to monitor your reaction carefully. Then, maybe we can talk about traveling. I assume you mean back to Philadelphia?"

"I do."

"I’ve been in constant contact with your doctor, so he is up to speed with your remarkable recovery. If everything is fine, your transition back to his care should be a smooth one."

"Thank you so much."

Ellen squeezed Keesha’s hand. "You’re very welcome."

"Could I ask a favor of you?"

"Maybe," she answered, giving her a cagey look. "Depends on what it is."

Keesha pulled a sealed white envelope from atop the bedside table. "I asked Katie for some paper, a pen, and an envelope. This is a very important letter that needs to reach another patient in this hospital. Could you possibly deliver it for me or at least make sure it gets to him?"

"Who’s the patient?"

"Jason Morgan."

Ellen nodded. "I know who that is."

"Would you do that for me? Only make sure he doesn’t know it’s from me."

Ellen raised one eyebrow but didn’t question her patient further as she took the envelope.

"This envelope to Jason Morgan."

"Yes. I would really appreciate it."

"Consider it done."

"Thank you. Thank you very much."

As Keesha watched Ellen leave her room, a feeling of immense satisfaction filled her as she realized she had finally told Jason Quartermaine/Morgan exactly what she thought of him. Whether or not he ever read her letter wasn’t as important as the fact she had *finally* put her thoughts into words. Telling Jason off, even in written form, had felt so liberating she wondered why she hadn’t done it years ago.

"I *love* seeing that smile on your beautiful face."

A startled Keesha looked at the foot of her bed and saw A.J. and Julianna standing there, smiling at her.

"I’m having an excellent morning," she said. Her dark eyes twinkled. "And seeing the two of you together, and smiling, has just improved it a thousandfold. Come here. I need my hugs."

"We saw Ellen," A.J. said, after the requisite hugs were given and received. "The orderlies are here to move you."

"I am *so* ready. What are you waiting for, A.J.? Tell them to get in here. NOW."

Julianna laughed as A.J. saluted one feisty Keesha Ward and dutifully relayed her message to the orderlies who quickly followed him into the room.

Half an hour later, Keesha was settled into her room, more than ready to begin the next phase of her recovery, which would, hopefully, ultimately, lead to her discharge. That day couldn’t come soon enough for her, and she vowed to do everything within her power to make sure it happened sooner rather than later.

*~*

"What do you say you help me clean out the garage?" Tony said to Michael. "I packed up so many boxes, but never really went through them. I feel like I need to get rid of some stuff and better organize what I’m keeping. We can talk while we work, if you want."

"I’ll help you," Michael said, knowing he didn’t have anything better to do. "But you do the talking."

"Fair enough."

After changing into grubby clothes, they headed for the basement where several stacks of boxes waited for them.

"Where should we start?" Michael asked.

"It doesn’t matter. Pick a box and see what’s inside. If it looks like it contains only books or reference material, keep it. But if it looks like junk, set it aside so I can go through it. I brought a marker so I can label the boxes I’m keeping and list what’s inside them."

Michael gave his father a sarcastic grin. "It would’ve helped if you had done that in the first place."

Tony ruffled his son’s hair. "Just shut up and help me go through them."

They worked quietly, side by side, opening boxes and sorting through the contents. Michael stacked medical and reference books into several boxes while Tony sorted through old papers, photographs and letters. He stopped when he spotted a cassette tape that had Carly’s name on the label.

"What’s that?" Michael asked, seeing the stunned expression on his father’s face.

"This?" Tony said, tossing the tape aside. "It’s nothing. Nothing at all."

"It must be something. Your whole demeanor has changed. What is it, Dad? Tell me, please. I want to know."

"It’s something stupid, Michael, that needs to be thrown in the trash. Come on. We have a lot more boxes to sort through."

But Michael remained obstinate. "I’m not boxing up anymore books until you tell me what you found."

Tony shook his head. At the moment, all he saw was Carly’s fierce determination and stubbornness in his son. So he did the only thing he could. He told him what he had found.

"It’s a tape I made for your mother another lifetime ago. There. Are you happy?"

"What kind of a tape?"

Tony sighed. "I wrote a song for your mother, and I recorded it onto a tape. Now can you get back to my books, please?"

"Wait a minute. You wrote a song for my mother?"

"Yes. Like I said, it was a stupid thing to do. That tape is going in the trash."

"No," Michael said, reaching for it. "I wanna hear it."

"Why?" Tony asked, growing impatient. "It doesn’t mean anything."

"Yes, it does. You wrote a song for my mother. Of course that means something."

"You do remember how things turned out between your mother and me, right, Michael?"

Michael rolled his eyes. "And you wonder where I get my sarcasm from? It’s not all from my mother. Yes, I know what happened between you and Mom, but still. This is a part of your history. I want to hear the song. Please?"

Off his father’s concerned look, Michael asked, "Or don’t you think I can handle it? Is that it? You think hearing a song you wrote for my mother is going to send me even further over the edge? If that’s possible."

In disgust, Michael threw the tape, which bounced onto the concrete floor and landed at Tony’s feet.

"Fine. Forget it. I don’t need to listen to some dumb love song about an adulterer and a woman who didn’t even know who had fathered her baby and then decided to name the only man she hadn’t slept with as my precious daddy. I’m out of here."

Michael had reached the front door when Tony stopped him.

"Am I part of the problem?" Tony asked his son pointedly. "All this anger and hurt you keep saying is directed at Sonny and Jason and your mother. Am I in there, too, son? Because if I am, then you and I need to have a long talk."

*~*

"Well, well, well. Look who I get to take care of."

Carrying a towel-covered tray, Bobbie entered Keesha’s room and gave the three of them a warm greeting.

"Hi, Bobbie," Keesha said. "It’ll be nice to see a familiar face."

"Ellen says you are doing unbelievably well."

She turned her attention to A.J. and Julianna.

"I just need to take a fresh set of vitals for Keesha’s chart, check her IV and change her bandages. Give us half an hour?"

"Of course," A.J. said, placing a hand on his daughter’s back to usher her from the room.

"How’s Michael doing?" Julianna blurted out before she could stop herself.

Bobbie gave her a tender smile. "As far as I know, he’s okay. He’s staying with his father."

"I know. I saw Lesley Lu. She told me. I hope...I hope he’s all right."

Bobbie set the tray on Keesha’s table and then patted Julianna’s hand. "You are so sweet. I’ll be sure to let his father know you asked about him."

"Come on, sweetheart," A.J. said. "Bobbie needs to be alone with your mother."

"A.J. and I hope Michael will be all right, too," Keesha said, once the thermometer had been removed from her mouth.

Bobbie looked up from the chart where she had been recording Keesha’s vitals. "I wish I had never mentioned Jason being here to Jerry. It’s my fault Michael found out. The last thing I wanted him to do was to see Jason. I knew he couldn’t handle it."

"If you don’t mind my asking, why did Michael want to see Jason so badly?"

Bobbie pressed the file against her chest and heaved a troubled sigh. "Ever since Sonny and Carly died, Michael has had it in his head that Jason would give him the answers he thinks he needs regarding the paternity switch. Tony and I have tried to tell him that he needs to put that behind him and move on. But he is my daughter’s son. He wants to know why they played this cruel trick on him and Tony and A.J. Jason will not talk about it. I told him that but, unfortunately, he had to find out for himself. And now he has to deal with the consequences of that ill-advised visit. I hate what my grandson is going through. I want to throttle Jason for ever being in that boy’s life. But at one time, Michael idolized him. It’s a horrible situation, Keesha, and I don’t see any quick fix in sight."

*~*

"Why would I be angry at you?" Michael asked, his tone evasive. "You were a victim of Jason and my mom, just like A.J. and I were."

Tony searched his son’s face and then proceeded to voice a thought he had long held. "You could be, subconsciously, resenting the fact that I’m your father. Let’s face it, Michael. For the first twelve years of your life, you didn’t even know I existed. One tragic night changes everything and, suddenly, you have yet another father. If there is resentment or anger, let it out, son. I want to know so we can deal with it."

"No," Michael said, pacing the length of the living room. "You’ve got it all wrong. I don’t resent you. I don’t!"

"Not even a little?" Tony pressed, wanting Michael to air his thoughts, his concerns.

Michael stared at his father as if seeing him for the first time. "Okay," he acknowledged, thrusting his hands inside his pants pockets and shrugging his shoulders, "maybe I do feel resentment. But only a little."

"Because?"

"Because you cheated on Grandma with my mother who was her daughter! How sick is that?! Why did *you* have to get involved with my mother? Why did you let my mother use you in her psycho scheme to get revenge on her birth mother?! Why didn’t you stay with Grandma and raise Lucas, who, thanks to you and my mother, is both my brother and my uncle?! The dynamics of this family are crazy. There, I said it. Are you happy?!"

"Yes," Tony said. "I am happy you are talking to me and telling me how you feel. I knew you accepted a few things too easily after the explosion. I’ve been waiting for this."

"But my stating how I feel doesn’t change anything. You’re my father. I have to accept that. What else can I do?"

"You can be wishing things were different and then resenting me in the meantime because they aren’t. Michael, I need to know something. Deep down, way deep down inside yourself, there’s a part of you, maybe a big part, who wishes Jason were your father, isn’t there?"

"I can’t answer that question," Michael said, turning away from his father.

But Tony’s hands on his son’s shoulders turned him around. "Yes, you can. And I want you to."

"Jason never was my father," Michael maintained. "He was my mother’s sick fantasy. That’s all."

"No, that’s not all. Jason was good to you. I know you loved him, Michael. We all know you loved him. When your mother and Sonny died, you wanted to go with Jason when he left town. Didn’t you?"

"No!" Michael vehemently denied, but the truth was written all over his young face.

"I think you’re lying to yourself, son."

"Okay!" Michael yelled. "Yes! Yes! I’ve always wanted to be with Jason. For years, I waited for him to come get me, but he never did. He let Sonny control my mother. He never helped her. He never helped me. He wouldn’t take me away even though I begged him to. I wanted Jason to be my savior, but he wasn’t. When I needed him the most, he wasn’t there for me. I hated Sonny! He caused nothing but problems between my mother and me. She never listened to me when he was around! The night he and my mother died I was planning to run away. I was so angry at both of them. I wished my mother were with Jason and that Sonny were dead!"

The room became suddenly, eerily quiet as Michael thought about what he had just screamed. With a faraway look in his chocolate eyes, he repeated the words to make sure he had heard himself correctly.

"I wished Sonny dead, and then, a few hours later, he died."

Tony caught Michael in his arms right before the young man fainted.

Chapter 54 by pinkrose

Chapter 54

When Michael came to, he saw his father and Dr. Kevin Collins, still a handsome man with graying hair, and then realized he was in his bed.

"What happened?" he asked, trying to remember.

"You fainted," Tony said.

"Am I all right?"

"You will be," Kevin said. "Your father thinks you might have remembered something you’ve been blocking about the night your mother and Sonny died."

"What did I say?" Michael asked, looking at his father.

Tony glanced at Kevin.

"You don’t remember?" Kevin asked Michael.

He shook his head. "No. I don’t. I really don’t. What did I say?"

Kevin pulled a chair from the desk and straddled it as he continued to gauge Michael’s reactions.

"I would rather you remember what you said on your own. With no prompting from anyone else."

"Great," Michael said, throwing his arms up in the air. "Now I’m remembering things but can’t remember what it is I said. This is just great!"

"It is, Michael," Kevin encouraged. "It means you are allowing yourself the possibility of having memories come to the surface about things you have previously buried deep inside yourself. But the recall needs to happen naturally. It cannot be forced."

"But now you and my father know what I said, and I don’t. How is that suppose to help me?!"

"If you remembered it once, the chances of you recalling it again are excellent."

"And," Tony added, "now that you’ve experienced the idea of remembering something, you probably won’t react so strongly if more memories begin to surface."

"You mean I won’t faint next time and wake up not knowing what the heck I said?"

"Exactly," Kevin said. "But don’t dwell on this, Michael. I don’t want you forcing any memories. Do you understand me?"

Michael nodded.

"Physically," Tony asked, "how do you feel?"

He shrugged. "I feel all right."

"Well enough to eat some Chinese food and challenge your old man to a rousing game of Monopoly?"

Even though more questions plagued him, Michael couldn’t help but chuckle at his father’s attempt to make the evening a "normal" one. And then he remembered the party for Georgie and Dillon they were supposed to attend and that he had planned to ask Julianna to. That last thought made him sad.

"What about Ned and Alexis’ party?"

"I called and gave them our regrets. Alexis understood."

"I guess it’s better we stay here," he decided. And then he gave his father the answer he was looking for. "Sure, Dad. Eating Chinese food and playing Monopoly sounds like fun."

*~*

After spending most of the afternoon with her parents, Julianna told them that Ned and Alexis were having a party for Georgie and Dillon to celebrate their upcoming wedding.

"Is it okay if I go?" she asked. "Brooke Lynn invited me last night."

"Sure," Keesha said.

A.J. agreed. "It’ll be nice for you to spend some time with your family."

Julianna grinned. "You’re invited, too, Daddy."

A.J. looked at Keesha and winked.

"I’ll pass," he said to his daughter. "Ellen gave me permission to bring in a light dinner from the Grille for your mother and me, so I will be right here all evening if anyone needs me."

Julianna smiled and hugged her father. "Enjoy."

"We plan to," Keesha said, holding out her arms to receive her daughter’s affectionate hug.

"I want you to have fun, too," Keesha said to Julianna as she smoothed her hair. "The only thing I would caution you is to be prepared in case Michael is there. Okay?"

Julianna nodded. "Brooke Lynn and I talked about that. She said she would watch out for me."

Keesha nodded. "Sounds good. Have fun."

"You, too," Julianna said, addressing both of her parents.

"One thing, Julianna," A.J said, sounding conspiratorial as he placed an arm around her and walked with her to the door.

"What?" she asked, looking at him in confusion.

"Don’t believe anything, and I mean anything, Ned may say about me. It’s all lies. He’s making everything up. Unless, of course, he happens to compliment me or says something nice. That you can totally believe."

He glanced at Keesha who was suppressing a laugh.

"Yeah, I know," he said. "Like that would ever happen."

Julianna laughed and hugged her father again. "I love you. Both. Good-bye."

"Love you, too," A.J. and Keesha said in unison.

"She’s going to be all right, isn’t she?" Keesha asked.

He reached for her hand and held it in his own. "With time, I think our daughter is going to be just fine."

*~*

Brooke Lynn, wearing a navy blue and white halter sundress with white sandals, and her long chestnut hair twisted into a French braid, complimented Julianna on her choice of attire when she arrived to pick her up for the party.

Julianna had decided to wear a dark print skirt with a sleeveless teal-colored top and black-heeled sandals. Gold hoop earrings, a gold heart pendant and rings on four of her fingers completed the outfit. After being scrutinized for several long moments, Julianna gazed quizzically at her cousin, who looked as though she were plotting something.

"What?" the younger girl finally asked, looking down to make sure she hadn’t spilled anything on her clothes.

"I heard you have an excellent singing voice. I just realized what a great stage presence you would have."

Julianna laughed and then shook her head at her cousin’s foolishness. "Yeah, right."

She grabbed her black tote from the table near the door.

"C’mon," she said, pushing Brooke Lynn. "We’re running late."

Most of the guests were already there when the two cousins arrived. Greeting people she knew along the way and introducing them to Julianna, Brooke Lynn finally found her father and step-mother in the kitchen, where they were supervising the waiters.

"Dad, Alexis," she said, after the servers had been sent into the living room and hugs had been exchanged among the three of them, "there’s someone I want you to meet."

Ned gave his daughter a dimpled smile as he held out his hand to Julianna.

"Let me guess," he said, "you’re Julianna."

"Yes, I am," she said.

"It’s so nice to finally meet you," Ned said, his voice as warm as honey.

"Nice to meet you, too," she said, relaxing in his and Alexis’ presence. "I kinda feel like I know you and Alexis since I’ve seen pictures."

"We’re so glad you could come," Alexis said, giving Julianna a hug. "And we think it’s great you and Brooke Lynn have become friends."

"Is your father here?" Ned asked.

"No. He and my mother said to say ‘hi’ to everyone. He’s spending the evening with my mom at the hospital."

"Good for him and Keesha," Alexis said. "We’re happy everything is going so well for your mom."

Julianna smiled. "Thanks."

"Your grandparents are here," Ned said. "I’m sure they’d like to see you."

"I’ll be sure to spend some time with them."

"Help yourself to something to drink and whatever you want to eat. We have plenty of everything," Alexis said and laughed.

"Thanks," Brooke Lynn said. "We will. There are more people I want to introduce Julianna to. By the way, is Michael here?"

Brooke Lynn decided they might as well know, upfront, whether or not to expect to run into him.

"No," Ned said. "Tony called. They won’t be coming."

"Is Michael all right?" Julianna asked before Brooke Lynn could even form the question.

"He’s not having an easy time," Alexis said. "But Tony said he’s getting the best care."

"We’d better go be good hosts," Ned said.

"Sure, Dad. Catch up with you later. By the way," she said, addressing both of them, "everything looks great."

"Thanks," Alexis said as she and Ned headed for the living room.

Brooke Lynn absent-mindedly munched on a potato chip and then grabbed a bottled water for herself and her cousin.

"You’re looking sullen again," she gently admonished Julianna. "I know it’s hard, but you gotta stop thinking about Michael."

"I wish I could," Julianna said, untwisting the cap on her bottle. "Got any pointers that would help?"

*~*

"That was delicious," Keesha said, sitting up in her hospital bed while A.J. cleaned up from their dinner. "I have to remember to thank Ellen for allowing you to bring in dinner. I’ll never be able to go back to hospital food. I’m spoiled."

"It won’t be long before eating hospital food will be just a distant memory."

Keesha sighed. "That sounds wonderful. Say that again."

A.J. smiled as he sat on the edge of her bed. "You’re going to be out of here soon, my lovely lady. You’d better get used to the idea."

"Are you kidding? I am used to the idea. I can’t wait! If I had a calendar, I’d be crossing off the days like I did when I was a kid waiting for my birthday or Christmas."

"You’re anxious to get back to Philly?" he asked.

"Yes and no," Keesha admitted. "Yes, because it’s my home and Julianna’s, and no, because I have no clue what will happen when we do return to Philadelphia. It seems as though all of our lives have changed since we came to Port Charles. What about you, A.J.? What are you going to do? What’s going on with your centers?"

"I talked to Vincent this morning. The Philadelphia center is still a go. A few more things need to be worked out, but everyone involved wants it to be built and up and running as soon as it can be. I want to oversee the project, and yes, I have selfish reasons, along with sound business reasons, for wanting to be in Philly."

Keesha stroked his cheek with her slender finger. "It would be wonderful if you lived in Philadelphia. How soon do you think it will happen?"

"That I’m not sure about. I may have to go to Manhattan for a few days, but I won’t leave here until you’re out of the hospital, and I know you’re well on your way to a full recovery."

"Have I told you how much I appreciate you being with me and Julianna through all of this? I mean it, A.J. I don’t think I could’ve made it without you."

A.J. tenderly caressed her cheek. "You tell me every day," he assured her.

"Can I ask you something?" she said, her expression turning serious.

"Ask me anything."

"Are you attending daily AA meetings?"

A.J. had to chuckle. "Nothing gets by you, does it?" he marveled.

"You’ve developed a pattern," she explained. "Whenever you’re here in the afternoon, you excuse yourself at the same time, yet you’re never gone for more than an hour. I just figured the hospital must have a meeting room and that’s where you’ve been going. Am I right?"

"You’re right," he said. "And just for the record, I’m not surprised. I never could keep anything from you. And now I don’t want to."

"You don’t know how happy that makes me. I don’t want to keep anything from you either. So I’m going to tell you what I did."

"Oh no," he said, half teasing. "What did you do?"

Keesha gave him a wide grin. "I finally told Jason exactly what I think of him."

"You saw him?!"

"No, silly," she said, patting his arm to calm him down. "I wrote him a letter and told him a little about what happened to me. I didn't go into a lot of detail, but I gave him enough information so that he would know how sick I was. I don't think he'll care, but that wasn't my point anyway. The reason I explained my situation to him was to let him know that I had a lot of time to think and reflect on my life and the choices that we all made and while I wouldn't wish the accident that happened to you and him on anyone, ultimately, I believe things are working out the way they were supposed to. At least as far as you and I are concerned. I told him about Julianna. I also told him I knew he had met her and was less than kind to her. I told him as her parents, you and I did not appreciate the way he addressed her. I made sure he knew, A.J., that Julianna is the best gift you could have ever given me. And how grateful I am that she is your daughter, A.J. I've loved her from the moment I found out I was pregnant. If I couldn't have you, I knew at least I would have a very special part of you. She was born from our love. I have never regretted that. Not for one single moment. You believe me, right?"

"Yes," he said, brushing her satiny cheek with his knuckles. "And you don't know how happy it makes me to know that you have never regretted that I am Julianna's father even though I wasn't a part of your lives. You have given me the very best gift, too, sweetheart. What else did you tell my brother?"

"Just that he needs to let Michael live his own life and be his own person the way he preached to you over and over again all those years ago. He's a hypocrite, A.J. I know he's not in his right frame of mind now, but he was when he let Sonny control him. I told him they all couldn't have been any crueler to Michael and to you and to Tony. I reminded him how he tried to control Justus and what it ended up costing him and my cousin. I just think he needed to be reminded of a few things."

"And who better to tell him than you, my darling?"

Keesha lowered her eyes. "I don’t know if he’ll ever read what I wrote or be able to comprehend it, but Ellen assured me he would receive it. That’s good enough for me."

"I love that you expressed your long-held feelings to him," A.J. said, "but Keesha, you shouldn’t be wasting your valuable energy on Jason."

"I expended very little energy on him, but believe me, it was well worth it. I should have done it a long time ago. And, Mr. Quartermaine, you should take your own advice. You shouldn’t be worrying about Jason either. Is he the reason you have to attend daily meetings again?"

"No, not totally. I have something to tell you, too. I saw my ex-wife Courtney."

Keesha sat up straighter in the bed. "What?! When?!"

"A few days ago. She was a mess, Keesha. She has a small son, who is not Jason’s, according to her. She needed money to get out of the country. Jason shot and killed the boy’s father. It traumatized him. He won’t speak. He just stares at you. It was really creepy and very sad. He’s such a cute little boy. All I could think about was Michael. I couldn’t let that little boy suffer needlessly. So I gave her the money and got her and Jesse, her son, to Europe."

"Wow, A.J., I’m impressed."

"That I could actually help someone," he said, in a self-deprecating tone.

"No," she scolded, "that you faced Courtney and Jason. I know that couldn’t have been easy."

"Which is why I’m now attending daily meetings. And some times I attend two or three a day."

"But you did a good thing, sweetheart. You also did the right thing."

"Do you think it would kill Jason to admit that? Don’t answer that. You’re right. It probably would kill him to admit that. Literally. But you know what. It doesn’t matter anymore."

"Are you sure about that?" she questioned.

A.J. nodded. "Absolutely. My brother has made his choices, just like I’ve made mine. I hope he gets the help he needs because he is in bad shape, but other than that, I can’t spend any more of my life fretting over Jason. I have too many good things going on to dwell on things I can’t change."

"I agree," Keesha said and smiled.

"What do you know?" A.J. said and laughed. "I think the Serenity Prayer has finally sank in. After how many years of reciting it? There may be hope for me yet."

Keesha squeezed A.J.’s hand and gave him a tender smile. "I see nothing but hope. For all of us."

*~*

"I’ve spent half the game in jail," Michael grumbled as he watched his father shake and roll the dice.

Just as the dice hit the board, a flash of Sonny sitting in a jail cell crossed Michael’s mind.

"Michael, what is it?" Tony asked, immediately concerned.

The faraway look had returned to Michael’s dark eyes.

The young man shook his head as if to clear it. "I’m not sure. I saw the image for only a second."

"Image of what?" Tony asked, the game forgotten.

Michael stood up from his seat on the floor at the coffee table and ran his fingers through his hair. "I don’t know. Sonny. In jail. But why? What does it mean?"

With his back to his father, he gripped the counter that separated the living room from the kitchen as another memory invaded his mind. This one was of his mother crying and pleading with Jason, who was as stoic as ever. But what Carly was saying eluded Michael. He was getting pictures but no sounds.

When Tony placed a comforting hand on Michael’s back, he jumped.

"Michael, what is it?" Tony asked. "What’s going on?"

He turned and faced his father. "Images, Dad. My mind is flashing tons of images, but they don’t make sense. Sonny in jail. My mother crying and begging Jason for something, but what I don’t know. Jason looking as hard as stone. Unmoving. What does it all mean? I’m getting pictures but no words."

"Do you want me to call Kevin?"

Michael plopped down on the sofa and grabbed a throw pillow, holding it against his chest.

"I don’t know. I don’t know what this all means."

As the two sat in silence, Michael saw more fragments.

"Everything is Jason, my mom and Sonny, but what exactly am I remembering or trying to remember? I have no idea."

"Kevin can help you," Tony said.

Michael shook his head. "Don’t call him, Dad. At least, not yet. The pictures seem harmless. They’re not scaring me."

"I think you should continue to let them come and write down exactly what you’re seeing."

Michael nodded. "Is it okay if I lay on the couch for a while?"

"Of course. I’ll get you a pillow and a blanket."

After placing a pad of paper and a pen on the coffee table and handing him a pillow, Tony covered his son with a heavy blanket and told him to rest.

"Thanks, Dad."

"You’re welcome. I’ll be in my study if you need me."

Michael wrote down the images he had recalled and then closed his eyes and tried to sleep. But more pictures flashed across his mind. He saw the penthouse, his mother yelling at Sonny and pushing him away, Sonny reaching for a glass to throw it and Jason taking it from him. Michael saw himself huddled on the staircase, covering his ears and crying as he watched his mother, with tears streaming down her face, flee the penthouse while Jason and Sonny argued. And then, just as he was about to drift off, he allowed an image to surface that he knew he had blocked time and time again because he thought he wasn’t strong enough to let it ever reach his consciousness.

Moments later, Tony heard screams of agony and reached his son in record time. He found Michael sitting up on the sofa, his eyes wild, rocking back and forth, holding onto the blanket for dear life. Sweat poured down his face as he focused on the wall, seeing nothing. Tony knelt beside him and after placing an arm across his back, asked what he remembered.

"I saw it, Dad," Michael said, his voice devoid of emotion. "I saw all of it. I finally let the memory surface. It was horrible. But I saw it."

"What, Michael?" Tony asked, his voice soft. "What did you allow yourself to recall?"

"I was there, Dad. I was with Jason. I broke free from Jason and had run after my mom, screaming for her not to go with Sonny. I didn’t want her to leave me. I didn’t want her to go. She was upset. They had been arguing. About me. She was crying, but she still left with that bastard. I saw it. I was there. I saw the explosion. I saw the limo being blown to bits. And I remember thinking how happy the three of us would be now that Sonny was dead."

Michael looked at his father, still without any emotion on his face. "That’s what I remembered earlier, isn’t it? I wanted Sonny to die. Dad, how could I have wished someone dead? What is wrong with me? But I did, didn’t I? I wanted him dead, and then he died."

"Yes, Michael," Tony confirmed. "You said you remembered wanting Sonny to die."

Michael stood from the sofa, still clutching the blanket.

"I need help, Dad," Michael said, his voice shaking.

The floodgates had been opened. The memories threatened to overwhelm him and render him helpless.

"I can’t handle this. There are too many memories. They’re all crashing in on me. Make them stop, Dad. Please. Make them stop!!"

"I will, son. I’m getting you help right now."

Within half an hour, Kevin Collins had arrived. Tony explained the situation. Kevin looked in on Michael, who was sleeping in his bed.

"It seems as though he’s remembering everything he’s blocked since the night of the explosion," Tony said. "All at one time. He can’t handle it."

"He’s going to have to be in a controlled environment where I can monitor him," Kevin said. "I want him to remember everything so he can get past this part of his life, but it has to be done carefully."

"I agree."

"Would you and Bobbie agree to it if I highly recommended that Michael be hospitalized at GH?"

Chapter 55 by pinkrose

Chapter 55

"I knew I would end up here," Michael said.

Bobbie, who had left Georgie and Dillon's party with Jerry the second she received Tony's phone call, tended to her grandson.

"We're going to take excellent care of you," she assured him. "There's nothing to be afraid of."

"I know, Grandma. I'm not scared to be in the hospital."

Thanks to Julianna, he added silently.

Kevin entered the room a moment later and told Tony and Bobbie he had left instructions at the nurses' station for a sedative to be given to Michael.

"I'm on it," Bobbie said and exited the room.

Kevin stood next to Tony and addressed Michael.

"I want you to get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow, our work will begin. We'll take it nice and slow, but I want you to tell me everything you remember, so we can begin to put all the pieces of this puzzle together and make some sense out of it."

Michael nodded.

"I've left a notepad and pen on your table. If you have a dream, see an image, recall a memory, or have a flashback of any kind, write it down. Okay?"

"I will."

"Your grandmother and I will be here throughout the night," Tony said to his son. "If you need anything, let us know."

"Thanks, Dad. I just want to sleep."

"As soon as your grandmother hooks up your IV, you should have no problem falling asleep."

*~*

Lesley Lu looked up from her filing at the nurses' station and saw Julianna and Brooke Lynn standing on the other side of the counter, facing her.

"What are you two doing here?" she hissed, looking around to make sure no one saw her talking to them. "Visiting hours have ended."

"We heard Michael's here," Julianna said. "How is he?"

Lesley Lu sighed and turned her attention to her roommate and friend.

"You couldn't keep her from coming here?"

"Are you kidding?" Brooke Lynn replied. "If I didn't drive her here, she was threatening to walk!"

"So why didn't you take a nice little detour away from the hospital?"

"She would've jumped out of the car; I swear she would have."

"You can stop talking about me like I'm not here," Julianna said. "And, yes, I would've gotten out of the car and walked here.
Lesley Lu, how is Michael?"

"I honestly don't know. They brought him in a little while ago. Aunt Bobbie and Tony are with him, along with Dr. Collins. My aunt is giving him something to help him sleep. That's all I know."

"You don't know what happened?" Brooke Lynn asked.

"No, and even if I did, I couldn't tell you guys. Please. You have to leave before we all get in trouble."

"Aren't you going to see him?" Julianna asked.

"Yes, but not tonight. Aunt Bobbie said he needs to sleep. I'll see him tomorrow."

"Can you at least tell me what room he's in?" she pleaded.

"No way!" Leslie Lu said, shaking her head. "You'll want to see him, and you can't, Julianna. I'm sorry, but you can't."

"Come on," Brooke Lynn said, guiding a distraught Julianna away from the nurses' station. "This is just a summer job for Lesley Lu. I don't want her to get into trouble with anyone."

"I don't either," Julianna said.

She turned to face Lesley Lu. "Will you tell me how Michael is doing when you see him?"

"Yes," she assured the young girl. "I will tell you how he's doing when I see him."

"Thank you."

Julianna tried to tell Brooke Lynn that she didn't need a ride, but Brooke Lynn wouldn't take "no" for an answer.

"Tell me where you want to go, and I will drive you there and make sure you are with an adult who can keep an eye on you, missy."

"I want to go to my dad's hotel room," she finally said.

*~*

When A.J. answered his door, he was pleasantly surprised to see Julianna and Brooke Lynn.

"Wow," he said, ushering them inside, "it's been a long time, Brooke Lynn."

They shared an affectionate hug.

"I know. I've been wanting to see you since I heard you were in town."

"It's been hectic. Thank you for bringing Julianna back from the party. How was it?"

"For the time we were there, it was great," Brooke Lynn said.

"Daddy, did you know Michael's in the hospital?" Julianna asked.

"No," A.J. said, looking from his daughter to Brooke Lynn. "I had no idea. Is he all right? What happened?"

"We don't know," Brooke Lynn answered. "Bobbie got a call at the party from Tony and rushed to the hospital. We followed soon after, but they can't or won't tell us anything. I think your daughter would've camped out at GH if I didn't get her out of there. You'd better sleep with one eye open tonight, A.J. I have a feeling Julianna wants to sneak out of here."

"Sweetheart, the nurses are not going to let you see Michael, so you can forget about going to the hospital."

"I know," she said, tossing her purse onto the couch. "Lesley Lu said she would tell me how Michael's doing once she sees him, but that won't be until tomorrow. Isn't there some way you can find out what's going on?"

"I can't talk to anyone tonight either. You'll have to wait until tomorrow."

"I hope he's all right," Julianna lamented.

"We all hope that," Brooke Lynn said. "Try to get some sleep, Julianna. You'll find out what's going on soon."

She nodded. "Thanks, Brooke Lynn. I'll call you tomorrow?"

She smiled. "Sure. Call me anytime."

A.J. walked Brooke Lynn to the door. "Thank you so much for watching out for Julianna and for bringing her here. I appreciate it."

"No problem. I really like her. Even if she is obsessed with all things Michael."

Rolling her brown eyes, Brooke Lynn chuckled and said "goodnight" to A.J.

After he closed and chained the door, he turned and found Julianna talking on the phone. He heard the name "Dara" and surmised she had called to let them know she would be spending the night with him.

"Dara and Justus received some great news," she said, after replacing the receiver.

"About Matthew and Veronica?"

Julianna nodded. "They're going to be at the house tomorrow. Mrs. Liden helped them get things ready for their arrival, and she's going to supervise them for a while until she's sure they feel comfortable in their new surroundings. Dara asked if I could be there."

"I think you should," A.J. encouraged.

"I told her I would. It'll help get my mind off of Michael."

"Which, under the circumstances, makes a lot of sense."

"I know, but I feel so badly for him. He thought he had everything under control. He said he was doing better. Is this all from seeing Jason? I wish he was still talking to me."

"I know you want things to be different, but he had his reasons. You have to respect that."

"I am, or at least, I'm trying to. Maybe you could help him, Daddy."

"I can't get involved unless someone asks me to. I don't think the problem is drugs or alcohol, so it's really out of my area of expertise. He's in the best place, Julianna. Trust me, he is."

"You guys like each other. You could visit him as a friend."

"I can and I will. When Tony or Bobbie tells me the time is right."

Julianna nodded. "I understand. How was your dinner with Mama?"

"Fine. We enjoyed the food, and we talked about Jason and my attending daily AA meetings."

"Mama knows about Courtney?"

A.J. nodded.

"What did she say?"

"Your mother was her usual, amazing self."

"She was happy you helped Jesse?"

"Keesha was impressed that I faced Courtney and Jason and lived to tell about it."

A.J. chuckled; Julianna smiled.

"That sounds like Mama."

A.J. poured water into a glass and offered it to his daughter, who accepted it.

"Your mother wrote a letter to Jason, telling him a few things, and gave it to Ellen, who assured Keesha that Jason would receive it."

Julianna laughed. "That sounds like Mama, too. I can't believe how well she's doing."

Father and daughter shared an understanding look.

"It's been a long time since I've had my mother. My real mother. I'm not going to know how to act around her now that she's healthy and feisty again. I hope you'll help me," Julianna said, only half teasing.

A.J. smoothed his daughter's hair. "Just be the loving daughter you've always been."

Julianna nodded.

"You know what I'm going to do?" A.J. asked, with a twinkle in his expressive hazel eyes.

"What?"

"I'm going to find a calendar for your mother so she can mark off the days until she's released from the hospital."

Julianna smiled. "Did Mama tell you about that?"

"Yes, she did."

"We used to always have a calendar when we wanted to countdown to a special occasion. It was a lot of fun. Some mornings, we would fight for the pen and end up marking each other instead of the calendar."

Julianna chuckled at the memory.

"Mama will like your gift. I know she will."

"Would you like to know what your mother did for me one year?"

"Sure," Julianna said, and then took a long swallow of the refreshing cold water.

"I had a calendar that I was keeping. I marked off each day that I had stayed sober. When I thought I had fallen off the wagon, the time Carly had drugged me, in a fit of anger and self-loathing, I ripped the calendar to shreds because I thought it meant nothing and that my hard-fought sobriety had been nothing but a big, fat lie."

"Dad, that's awful. What did Mama do?"

A.J. smiled at the fond memory. "When we discovered the truth, for my birthday, your mother gave me a brand new calendar, and she had marked off every single day I had remained sober. I still have that calendar, even though I was unable to maintain my sobriety."

"Except for the past eleven years," Julianna gently reminded him. "Think of the collection of calendars you would've had."

"Can I tell you something in all honesty?"

"Of course."

"Without your mother cheering me on, those calendars would have been meaningless to me. I'll always associate calendar-keeping with Keesha. I loved her gift. It meant everything to me that she knew how important my sobriety was to me back then. Your mother was the only one who ever truly understood that about me."

"Because she loves you," Julianna said, her voice soft.

The words were simple, but Julianna knew there was a world of meaning in them.

"Yes," A.J. said, nodding in agreement. "I can appreciate so many things I've previously taken for granted because I know your mother loves me."

*~*

Later that night as Julianna tried to go to sleep, she replayed the question she had written down to enter into her journal and ponder the following day: how did someone know when they were truly in love?

Chapter 56 - Part 1 by pinkrose

Chapter 56 - Part 1

The following morning, after Michael had eaten a less-than-appetizing breakfast, Dr. Kevin Collins entered his room and said a hearty "good morning."

"Morning," Michael replied.

Kevin pulled up a chair and sat next to his patient's bed.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay."

"Did you get a good night's sleep?"

He nodded. Kevin looked at the blank pad on the bedside table.

"No memories or images surfaced during the night?"

"Not that I remember."

"That's fine. I'm going to put this plastic cup and pitcher of water on your food table. As we talk, help yourself to it whenever you want a drink. If you need anything, let me know. Okay?"

"Yes."

Kevin poured cold water into the cup and then looked at Bobbie and Tony who wanted to be there for Michael.

"If it's okay with all three of you, I'm going to record our session."

"That's fine," Michael said.

Bobbie and Tony agreed.

"Excellent," Kevin said.

He set the recording device on the table and pushed the button to start. After crossing his leg, he placed a pad of paper on his lap and readied the pen to write.

"From the beginning, Michael," he said, his voice non-threatening, "tell me what you now remember about the night your mother and Sonny's limo exploded."

After swallowing hard, Michael took a sip of the water. He looked at his father and his grandmother for reassurance and then nodded to indicate he was ready. He sat up straighter in the bed. Bobbie shifted his pillows to give him comfort and support. He placed his hands on the table in front of him to stop them from shaking. He focused his eyes on the light blue water pitcher as he began to speak.

"Earlier that day, my mother and Sonny had gotten into this horrible fight. Over me. I told my mother I didn't want to live with her and Sonny anymore. I wanted to go live with Grandma."

He sneaked a peek at his grandmother and saw she already had tears in her eyes. He quickly looked away and returned his attention to the pitcher.

"There was some dinner they had to go to. Sonny was forcing me to go, but I didn't want to. I told them I wouldn't go and that they couldn't make me. I remember I was being a total brat. Against Sonny's wishes, Mom called Jason. He said he would stay with me. I told my mom I wanted to go to Grandma's, but she said I couldn't because Sonny didn't want me to. I started yelling at them that they never let me do what I wanted to do. My mother told me how ungrateful I was and sent me to my room. I heard Mom and Sonny arguing. Sonny was telling my mother she had no control over me. My mother was defending herself. I remember that. I hated the way Sonny talked to my mother. I remember pulling out my duffel bag. I was throwing things into it. I wanted to run away. When they left, I was going to leave, too. I couldn't take it anymore."

Becoming agitated as the vivid images of that fateful night flooded his mind, Michael gripped the sides of the table and closed his eyes. Kevin placed a gentle hand on his arm and told him to take all the time he needed.

When Michael opened his eyes, he drank more water and then said he was ready to continue. He furrowed his brow as he tried to remember what happened next.

"I was still in my room, and I heard Jason and Sonny arguing. Then I heard my mother screaming at both of them. I really don't know what they were talking about. I just knew I had to get out of there. A while later, Jason came and got me. He told me my mom and Sonny were leaving, and that I needed to say good-bye to them. Jason looked worried. I remember that now. But I still didn't know what they had argued about. I barely spoke to my mom. I hid behind Jason. I didn't talk or even look at Sonny. I was still so angry. My mother tried to hug me, but I pushed her away. I remember she had tears in her eyes when she hugged Jason and told him to keep me safe. I remember thinking that was a strange thing to say since we were home. When they left the penthouse, I remember I felt badly that I hadn't let my mother hug me. I ran to the elevator before Jason or Leticia could catch me. I was too quick for the bodyguard, too. I remember Jason screaming at me not to leave, that it wasn't safe, but I wanted to. I wanted to say a proper good-bye to my mother because I planned to leave that night. I didn't think I'd ever see her again. I remember getting into the elevator. I don't know if Jason followed me in another elevator or whether he went down the stairs on foot. All I remember is going to the garage. The black limo was there. I didn't see Sonny."

Michael began shaking his head wildly.

"I didn't see him at all. But I saw my mom, and she saw me. She saw me. I remember that. We looked at each other. She was about to step inside the car when she spotted me. She stopped, I guess to find out what I wanted, and that's when the car exploded. I remember seeing my mother being thrown high into the air. She landed like a rag doll on the cement. I remember that! I saw it happen!! I tried to run to her, but Jason held me back. He held me and wouldn't let me go. I was screaming. I remember I couldn't stop screaming!"

Unable to stop himself from reliving the most horrible moment of his life, Michael's body convulsed as he let out a piercing scream and squeezed his eyes shut in a desperate attempt to stop the images from flooding his mind.

"Make it stop!! Please!! Make it stop!! I didn't want my mother to die! I didn't!! I swear I never meant for her to die!!"

With a rush of adrenaline, Bobbie pushed the table away from his bed and drew her grandson into her loving arms.

"Shh, Michael," she said, laying her head against his and gently rocking him in her arms as tears rolled down her cheeks. "It's okay. They're only memories. They can't hurt you. None of this is happening. You're just letting your mind recall the details. That's all. You're safe, Michael. No one is going to harm you. Nothing can hurt you. It's okay. You're okay."

Michael let his grandmother comfort him, and then he nodded to show he understood what she was saying.

"Do you want to end this session?" Kevin asked.

"No," Michael said, after a lengthy silence. He had somewhat collected himself. "I need to tell you more."

"When you're ready," Kevin said. "Only if and when you're ready."

Michael nodded.

"It just exploded," he said, his voice quivering as his body still shook in his grandmother's arms. "I heard myself screaming. I heard my mother's screams, too. When I tried to run to her, Jason grabbed me from behind and held me against him. Then, he let me go. I remember seeing him. He got on the phone and called someone. I don't know who. I remember thinking that my mother would be all right and that Sonny had died. I thought Jason and my mom would be together. I thought everything would be okay as long as my mother didn't die. How could I have been so heartless? Why did I not care that Sonny had probably died?! Why didn't I think about Courtney? What was wrong with me?!"

Michael looked up and saw his father watching him. His face was unreadable.

"I know it's horrible," Michael said. "I hate myself for what I thought."

"You were in shock, Michael," Kevin tried to explain. "I'm sure many thoughts went through your mind, but that doesn't mean you're a bad person for having those thoughts or feelings. You were angry in the penthouse, and you just saw a vehicle blow up. There is no way you can say you were thinking rationally."

"But I blocked this for so long," Michael said, his head remaining on his grandmother's shoulder. "Because I was ashamed of what I thought and didn't want to face it, right?"

"Is that what you believe?" Kevin asked.

"It's the only explanation," Michael said dejectedly. "Why else wouldn't I have remembered all this before now?"

"We can explore that later," Kevin advised. "Just know that there could be many reasons you're just now letting yourself recall that night. And know that this is taking a lot of courage. Okay?"

"Okay," Michael said, but he didn't sound very convincing.

"Do you want to continue?"

"Yes. After I had those horrible thoughts, I must have blacked out because the next thing I remember, I was back in the penthouse with Jason."

Kevin interrupted momentarily. "You don't remember anything else after you thought that your mother would be all right and that Sonny had died?"

"No, I don't. I remember sitting on the couch in the penthouse, watching Jason. He looked like a caged animal. He didn't say much, but he told me my grandmother was coming to get me. I kept asking him why he was so nervous, but he wouldn't answer me. He was very agitated. He kept asking me if I remembered anything, and I told him I didn't. I kept asking him what he wanted me to remember, and he said it was better for me not to know."

Drenched in sweat and unable to hold the cup because his hands were trembling, Michael let his grandmother place the cup to his parched lips. He sipped more water, laid his head against Bobbie's shoulder and closed his eyes.

"I can't talk anymore," he said, gripping the back of his grandmother's uniform. "It's too painful to remember."

"Please bring me a warm cloth," Bobbie said to Tony.

Moments later, Tony handed her a washcloth. Bobbie tenderly patted Michael's forehead and his flushed cheeks.

"Thank you," he said, not even bothering to open his eyes.

"I'd like to ask you just one more question," Kevin said.

Michael shook his head. "I can't. Please. No more. Not now."

"I think he's had enough," Tony said.

Kevin nodded. "I'm going to turn off the recorder unless you want to say something else, Michael."

"I don't."

Kevin pressed the "stop" button which officially ended their first session.

"Would you like me to massage your back?" Bobbie asked her grandson.

He shook his head and then lifted it to look at her. "Can I be alone for a while? Please?"

The three adults exchanged uneasy looks.

"I'll leave," Kevin said. "But I don't recommend you leave him alone as long as he's awake."

"Is it okay if I stay with you?" Bobbie asked Michael. "I won't talk. At all. I'll just sit with you. Or continue to hold you if you want me to."

"You can sit with me. I want to lay back in my bed."

"Of course."

Bobbie helped him get comfortable in the bed. She smiled and brushed his hair, wanting him to feel her healing touch.

"I'll be back later," Tony said. "You did very well, Michael. I know this can't be easy for you."

"Thanks. I want to sleep," he said, looking from Bobbie to Kevin. "I know this is going to surprise you since I always fight you when you want to sedate me, but this time, I want you to give me something that will knock me out. Completely and for a long time. I need a break from these memories. Can you give me something? Please?"

"Is it okay?" Bobbie asked Kevin.

"Sure. A mild sedative to calm him down and help him sleep for a while will be fine. Let's talk at the nurses' station."

"I'll stay with him until you return," Tony said.

Bobbie nodded and left the room with Kevin.

"What was so important that you wanted to continue after he said he didn't want to talk anymore?" Bobbie asked Kevin when they were alone.

"I wanted him to confirm that Jason said nothing to him about what he had witnessed."

"I'm sure Jason didn't," Bobbie said. "When I arrived, Michael didn't say anything about having seen the explosion. He seemed to think he had been in the penthouse with Jason the whole time. He was shocked when I told him what had happened."

"What was Jason's state of mind when you arrived?"

"He was distraught, livid, outraged and lost. I could tell he blamed himself. He kept pacing the floor. He couldn't stand still. He kept talking about needing to get revenge and how this should have never happened."

"I wish Michael knew what the earlier argument involved when Jason arrived. I think Jason knew they were in danger."

"I think so, too. He totally blames himself for them dying."

"And yet, he was still willing to put Michael in more danger. I don't get that."

Bobbie shook her head as she made her way to the medicine cabinet to prepare the sedative Kevin had prescribed. "You'd have to get into Jason's psyche for those answers. I wouldn't want to be the one who has to deal with his issues."

*~*

Alan saw A.J. heading for Keesha's room and asked if he could talk to him for a few minutes in his office.

"Sure."

They walked to the office Alan used on a part-time basis; and after closing the door, he offered his son a seat and sat across from him.

"This won't take long, but I wanted to be the one to tell you."

"Is this about Jason?"

Alan nodded. "He's being moved to a facility in Geneva, Switzerland."

"Does he know?"

"Yes. He was told earlier."

"How is he taking it?"

"I don't think he really cares at this point. He's very out of it."

"Has he spoken to you or to Mom?"

"Very briefly. He told us to watch out for Michael. That was about it."

"He doesn't know Michael's here, does he?" A.J. asked, concerned.

"No. And he doesn't need to know about that."

A.J. breathed a sigh of relief. "I agree."

Alan studied his son's face. "Your mother and I were at the party when Bobbie received Tony's phone call. Your daughter was visibly shaken by the news. From what I understand, Michael is dealing with some serious issues. Your mother and I hope you'll keep Julianna away from him."

A.J. nodded. "That's my plan. The question is: will it work?"

*~*

Humming to herself, Julianna removed the tray of peanut butter cookies from the oven and set it on the counter to cool. She had also baked a devil's food cake and now sat at the kitchen table, ready to add chocolate frosting. Dara thanked her for her help before she and Justus had left to drive to the hospital. Soon, they would be returning with Matthew and Veronica.

Julianna had moved her things into the downstairs room her mother had been using. The upstairs room now held twin beds, one with a race car bedspread and one with a Barbie comforter. Dara told Julianna she would let the children decide what decor they wanted for each side of the room.

As Julianna frosted the cake and sang to herself, she realized she had never seen Dara and Justus look happier; she was thrilled for them.

Once the cake had been decorated and put away until after dinner, she placed the cookies on a plate and set it on the kitchen table. Sandwiches had been made. The refrigerator contained fruit juices, water, and homemade lemonade.

Julianna nibbled on a cookie, decided they weren't half bad, placed three of them into a plastic bag and sealed it. If, by some miracle, she was able to find out Michael's room number, she wanted to leave a treat for him.

Glancing at the wall clock in the kitchen, Julianna realized she had time to make a phone call.

"Hey, Brooke Lynn. How are you?"

"Busy but fine. How are you?"

"I'm doin' okay. Are you at L&B?"

"Yeah. But I have a minute to chat."

"Thanks." Julianna decided to get right to the point. "Did Lesley Lu say anything to you about Michael?"

Brooke Lynn chuckled. "Why did I know that's why you were calling? She just told me that Michael had some kind of a meltdown. She's not really sure about the details. She thinks his therapist is working with him."

"I had a feeling it was something like that. Poor Michael. Brooke Lynn, do you think Lesley Lu will tell you what room he's in?"

"Only because I knew you were going to ask me that and would badger us until you found out, I went to GH with Lu this morning. When she wasn't looking, I peeked at his chart. Lucky for you, he's on the same floor as your mother. He's in Room 434."

"Thank you so much!"

"You're on your own now, kiddo," she warned. "If you get caught seeing him, you did not get the info from me. I'll deny everything. I'll tell anyone who asks me that I've never seen you before in my life."

Julianna laughed. "I understand. But thank you. Thank you so much."

"You're so young, Julianna. I know you like Michael, but seriously, sweetie, think about the consequences before you do anything rash. Please?"

"I will. I just want to take a look at him. I need to see for myself that he's all right. That's all."

Brooke Lynn sighed. "I guess I can understand that. Call me later, okay? Maybe we can get together tonight."

"I'd like that. Thanks. I'll talk to you soon."

Still singing to herself, Julianna put the plastic bag into her purse. That evening, she would check out what was going on in Michael's room. If the coast was clear, she would sneak in, check on him, leave the cookies on his table, and sneak out.

"He'll see the treat," she said, out loud. "He just won't know it's from me."

Chapter 56 - Part 2 by pinkrose

Chapter 56 - Part 2

As soon as A.J. entered her room, Keesha's eyes focused on the neatly wrapped present he held in his hand.

"For me?" she asked excitedly.

"Is what for you?" he teased.

He grinned at her childlike delight.

"The gift you're holding in your hand," she said, pointing to the bright pink wrapping paper that was topped with a big white bow.

"This?" A.J. said, holding the package in front of him. "This isn't a gift."

"I see," Keesha said, nodding as she played along with him. "You always carry around beautifully wrapped packages for no good reason?"

A.J. snapped his fingers. "You've uncovered another one of my little quirks."

He had made his way to sit on her bed.

"What am I going to do with you, Ms. Ward?"

"You're going to give me my present."

She reached for it, but he moved it out of her range.

"A little anxious, are we?" he asked and laughed.

She playfully punched his arm and tried to grab her gift.

"Feisty, too," he noted. "I assure you that hitting me will not get you what you want."

She tried to look contrite. "I'm sorry," she said. "Please may I have my gift?"

A.J. considered her request and how adorable she looked while asking it, but he wasn't quite ready to give in. "That's better, but it's still not good enough. Sorry."

"You're just a big ol' meanie," she said, and then they both laughed.

A.J. leaned in closer.

"How about giving this big ol' meanie a kiss?" he asked.

"Okay," she said, feigning disinterest as she rolled her eyes. "If it'll get me my present..."

"Forget it," A.J. said, his eyes still twinkling. "I don't want a pity kiss."

She laughed. "And I wouldn't give you one," she said and smiled. "Come here. I'd love nothing more than to kiss you, but we need to take it slow. I'm in a little more pain than usual, and I'm still not moving very well."

"You should have told me. Is the pain anything to be worried about?"

"No. Ellen said it happens. I just have to be extra careful. But I want my kiss and my gift."

A.J. complied with Keesha's wishes, and soon they were sharing a tender, affectionate kiss.

"Now," he said, "you may have your present."

"Ooo, thank you," she said, carefully removing the bow and the wrapping paper to reveal a pocket calendar with a picture of a beach on Cape Cod at sunset.

Keesha smiled and squeezed A.J.'s hand. "This is perfect," she said. "I can cross off the days until I'm out of here, and I can imagine myself visiting Cape Cod. With you."

A.J. grinned. "I like the sound of that."

"Maybe one of these days?" she asked hopefully.

"Definitely."

She smiled. "Thank you for my gift."

"You're welcome."

It took some creative navigating, but Keesha and A.J. finally managed to hug. She leaned back in her bed and sighed.

"I didn't hurt you, did I?" he asked.

Keesha shook her head. "No. I'm all right. I just have to remember there are certain ways I can't move."

A.J. helped Keesha find her comfortable position again.

"That's better," she said. "So what is our daughter doing today? I haven't heard from her."

"She's at the house with Dara and Justus. They're bringing Matthew and Veronica home."

Keesha's eyes lit up. "That's so great! I hope they like living with Dara and Justus. I'm glad Julianna could be with them. I definitely want to hear every detail of their first day."

*~*

With joined hands, Matthew and Veronica stared wide-eyed in wonder and disbelief at their lavish yet comfortable surroundings after they'd tentatively stepped into Dara and Justus' home. They looked but didn't touch any of the furnishings in the living room and dining room. When they entered the spacious kitchen, they ran to the window that looked out onto the roomy backyard.

"Wow, Matty," Veronica said, her voice conveying her excitement. "Look at that yard!"

"I know," he said, his voice equally as enthusiastic. "It's way huge!"

Dara and Justus shared a smile.

"After you see the rest of the house," Dara said, "you can change into your play clothes and go outside. How about that?"

"Okay," Matthew said.

But Veronica looked sad. "We don't have any play clothes, Matty. We don't have anything."

After looking at Camille, who smiled at her, Dara knelt in front of the little girl and held her small hands.

"Yes, you do. Wait until you see what's in your bedroom."

The light returned to both children's big brown eyes as they followed Dara, Justus and Camille up the stairs.

"Aren't you comin'?" Veronica asked Julianna, who remained at the bottom of the staircase.

"Sure," she said. "I'll be there in a second."

Julianna wanted the family to enjoy the moment when Matthew and Veronica realized some of their own belongings had been delivered to the house, thanks to Mrs. Liden.

When she heard their gasps of surprise and their squeals of delight, she couldn't keep the smile from her face.

"Dara and Justus are going to make this the best possible home they can for you," she whispered as she ascended the stairs, two at a time, to join the newest additions to the Ward family.

*~*

Tony glanced up at the knock on his office door and motioned for Bobbie to enter. Looking worn out, she plopped into the nearest swivel chair and let out a heavy sigh.

"You should go home and get some rest," he advised.

"I will. I feel I should be here for Michael when he wakes up."

"Is he all right?"

"He's fine. I just checked on him. I came by to see how you're doing and to ask a question."

"I've been better," he answered honestly. "What's the question?"

"You seemed distant with your son when he was telling us what he remembered. Why?"

"Even though Kevin recorded it, I wanted to make sure I heard everything he said. There were a few discrepancies from what Michael told me at the house, but overall, everything he said seemed to fit."

"These discrepancies. Which do you think is the true version?"

"The one he told Kevin. I think he was still sorting things out at the house. He seemed to be seeing the memories more clearly when he was talking to Kevin."

"I know you well enough to believe you're holding back on me. Something else is going on. What is it? I want to know."

Tony perched himself on the corner of his oak desk and crossed his arms in front of him.

"To be honest, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop."

Bobbie shook her head. "Other shoe? I don't get it."

"I'm waiting for Michael to say he wishes I weren't his father."

"Oh, Tony. I don't believe Michael feels that way. At all."

"Well, we started to have a dialog the day he remembered the details of the explosion, and he did express some resentment at the situation involving me. Not that I blame him."

"But you've been a wonderful father to him. He knows that."

"What I know is that he loves you unconditionally, and when all is said and done, if he doesn't want me to be in his life, I'm going to have to find some way to accept that."

"I can't believe he would cut you out of his life. He's not like that, Tony. You are his father."

"I may be his father," Tony said sadly, "but there's one person I'm not: Jason."

When Bobbie would have scoffed, Tony stopped her.

"It's true. I can't believe that, once again, I know exactly how A.J. must have felt all those years trying to compete with Jason. I can almost see why he turned to alcohol. Thinking about the huge impact Jason has had on my son makes me want to drink. And that ain't no lie."

*~*

After leaving Tony's office, a more subdued Bobbie returned to Michael's room and saw he was awake.

"Hey," she said. "How are you?"

"I'm okay."

"Can I get you anything?"

"I'm hungry. Can I get an ice cream or a candy bar?"

"Being hungry is a good sign. You did sleep through lunch. I'll look around to see if there's any ice cream. You may have to eat Jell-O or some fruit."

"That's fine."

Bobbie smiled at her grandson. "I'll be right back."

Lesley Lu saw her aunt heading for the food cart.

"Do you want a snack? I have fruit at the nurses' station."

"Michael wants ice cream."

"I'll get it for him. I'd like to see him."

Bobbie smiled. "Thanks, Lu. I think he'd like that."

A few minutes later, Lesley Lu entered Michael's room, carrying an ice cream sundae in a plastic container and a small wooden spoon.

"Hi," Michael said, surprised, but pleased, to see his cousin.

"Hi, yourself," she said.

After rolling the food table in front of him and setting the plastic cup and spoon on it, she took a seat next to his bed.

Michael grinned. "I haven't seen this kind of ice cream in years."

"I hope it tastes good."

"I'm sure it will. I'm hungry."

"I can get you another one if you want."

"Nah, that's okay. I think I'm getting dinner soon, right?"

"Right."

"Did Grandma tell you to come see me?"

Lu shook her head. "I wanted to. I know we don't see a lot of each other, but I care about you, Michael. We all do. It's time you saw more of the Spencers. Lucky and Liz are going to visit you soon. And when my parents return from their trip, I'll make sure they see you, too."

"I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I'm not comfortable with everyone knowing I'm in the hospital. Especially because of why I'm here. This is not something I'm proud of."

"But it's not your fault. You're getting the help you need. That's the main thing."

"I guess."

"You're not discouraged, are you, Michael?"

His cousin's obvious concern made him smile.

"A little," he said, and shrugged as he scooped more vanilla ice cream mixed with chocolate syrup onto his spoon. "It's hard not to be."

"But you're remembering stuff, right? Isn't that good?"

"Yeah, I suppose it is. It's just that I thought I had put a lot of this behind me."

"Well, maybe this time you will."

She gave him an encouraging smile and then winked. "Don't tell your grandmother, but I'm going to get you another ice cream. You look like you need one."

"You're spoiling me," Michael said, and then he laughed. "But don't stop because I like it."

*~*

"Is that calendar from Dad?" Julianna asked Keesha.

She'd spotted it on the table while carefully hugging her mother.

Keesha smiled. "Yes. Isn't it beautiful? Your father and I want to visit Cape Cod some day."

Julianna's eyes widened in surprise. "You and Daddy are making those kinds of plans? Wow."

Keesha laughed. "I'm sure it won't happen for a long time, but be happy for me, baby girl. At least, I'm making plans to travel. Isn't that better than planning for my death?"

"Yes. Definitely. I am happy for you, Mama. And Daddy, too. I think it's great."

Keesha squeezed her daughter's hand. "Thank you. And now, I want to hear all about Matthew and Veronica. How are they? How are Dara and Justus?"

"Everyone is fine. The children love the house, especially the backyard. They played out there for hours. They really have fun together. It doesn't seem to take much to entertain them. They were thrilled that Mrs. Liden had been able to arrange for some of their belongings to be waiting for them."

"That must have been a great treat for them. Justus told me about that."

"He is on Cloud Nine, Mama. Dara is, too. I know they are going to make wonderful parents to those precious children."

Keesha stroked her daughter's hair. "I agree. Now you see why I wanted you to be with them if anything had happened to me?"

Julianna nodded. "I'm so glad they're in my life. But what I'm most thankful for is that I have you and Daddy. I can't believe I ever thought it didn't matter if I knew my father. After what's happened to Michael and now Matthew and Veronica, I'll never take either of you for granted again. I swear I won't."

"I believe you, sweetheart. I know you appreciate both your father and me."

"I do. And I love you both, too. So much."

"We love you, too. And you know that will never change."

Julianna nodded.

"So what do you have planned for tonight?" Keesha asked.

"Brooke Lynn mentioned getting together. I need to call her."

"You two have been getting along okay?"

"Very much. I like her and Lesley Lu. A lot."

Keesha gave a happy sigh.

"What's that for?" Julianna asked and then chuckled.

"It's nice to know there won't be a repeat of your father and Ned's tiresome rivalry. I don't think I could have stood that. Thank you for getting along with your cousin and for actually liking her. It just makes things easier and so much more pleasant. Maybe your father and Ned can learn a thing or two from their daughters about getting along. My motto is: it's never too late."

Julianna laughed outright. "Mama, you're silly. But you know. I haven't met Kristina yet."

"Just make sure you like her, too," Keesha said. "I don't care what it takes. Just like her."

"Okay," Julianna said and smiled. "For you, Mama. I'll make sure Kristina and I get along. No matter what she may be like or what she may do to me."

They heard the announcement on the PA system that visiting hours were ending in fifteen minutes.

"I guess I should go," Julianna said. "You'll be going to sleep soon."

Keesha shook her head. "I'm sure I'll be asleep, and then one of the nurses will be in to fuss over me unnecessarily, but eventually, I'll be left alone so I can sleep."

"Now you know how your patients felt when you used to fuss over them," Julianna teased. "And me, too."

Keesha huffed. "Thanks a lot! I took excellent care of you when you were sick, and this is the attitude you give me? You know, you and your father have been ganging up on me all day. What is this?"

Julianna grinned. "I'm sorry, Mama. I take back what I said. Sort of."

Keesha glared good-naturedly at her daughter, who laughed and held up her hands.

"I didn't know Daddy had given you a hard time. I swear I didn't. I'm just happy that you look so well and are so responsive. It's nice to have my mother back."

Her daughter's words appeased Keesha. Somewhat. "Well, you and your father had better remember this day when I get out of here and am feeling one hundred percent again. Because you're both in big trouble."

Julianna laughed as she kissed her mother good-bye. "I'll be sure to tell Daddy."

"And if you tell me he smirked at my comment and/or rolled those gorgeous eyes of his, I'm going to smack him. Hard. Maybe more than once."

"Mama! Are you going to make me have to save Daddy from your wrath? Because I'm not sure I'm up for that daunting task. But I will definitely warn him. He should be warned. Your wrath is brutal."

Julianna didn't know whether to be amused or scared for her father's well-being.

Keesha shrugged, but her eyes were sparkling. "You can try to save him. If you think he's worth it. And most definitely tell him what I said. Fearing my wrath will do him good. But leave out the part about how beautiful I think his eyes are. He doesn't need to hear that. At least, not while he's treating me badly. I want him to think he's on my list. My bad list."

Her daughter laughed. "Okay. I will. And I won't. I'm so confused. I hope you have a good night. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye, sweetheart. I love you."

"Love you, too."

*~*

As soon as Julianna stepped outside her mother's room, she heard the PA warning that visiting hours were ending in five minutes and walked nonchalantly down the corridor towards Michael's room. Looking at the nurses' station, she saw two unfamiliar nurses chatting. They didn't see Julianna head for his room.

Once she arrived at the door, she cracked it slightly and quickly scanned the dimly lit room for visitors. No one was present; Michael lay on his back, sound asleep. With the bag of cookies in her hand, she tiptoed inside and placed it on his bedside table. She told herself she needed to leave, but instead, she found herself standing next to Michael's bed, watching him sleep.

"You look so peaceful," she whispered. "I hope you're okay."

She wished she could spend more time with him, but she knew she was taking too big of a risk.

"I have to leave. I know you don't want me here, and visiting hours are over anyway. I had to see you. I had to see for myself that you're all right. I miss you so much. I'm so sorry you ended up here."

When she would have turned to leave, she stopped herself again and lightly, so as not to wake him, she brushed several strands of auburn hair away from his eyes. Touching him calmed her and satisfied the need she had to be close to him.

"I can leave now," she said, taking in every detail of his appearance and committing it all to memory. "But I can't guarantee I won't return. I have to see you. Maybe I'm being overdramatic, but spending time with you is like breathing for me. I just need to make sure you never find out. Get well soon, Michael. I miss you. I want my best friend back."

Chapter 57 by pinkrose

Chapter 57

When Michael woke up the next morning, he was laying on his right side. He looked at the table and saw the cookies inside the plastic bag. A few minutes later, Bobbie entered his room and said "good morning."

"Morning, Grandma. Did you leave those cookies for me?"

Bobbie looked to where he was pointing. "No. It wasn't me."

"Maybe Lesley Lu did. She said I still looked hungry after eating my ice cream yesterday."

"I didn't see her with any cookies, but maybe she did. How are you feeling?"

"I'm all right."

"Breakfast will be arriving shortly and after you freshen up, Dr. Collins will be here."

"Okay. Would you do me a favor?"

"Of course."

"Ask around to see if anyone knows about these cookies."

Bobbie shook her head and then laughed. "Okay, okay. I'll try to solve the mystery of the cookie caper. Just make sure you eat your breakfast before you get into that bag, young man."

"I will."

When his grandmother had left the room, Michael put the cookies inside his drawer. Just to make sure they didn't disappear as mysteriously as they had appeared.

*~*

Dara looked in on Matthew and Veronica and saw they were awake.

"Good morning," she said, stepping into the room. "Did you two sleep well?"

They nodded.

"Good morning," Matthew said, followed by his sister.

"Do you need help getting dressed?"

They both shook their heads.

Dara smiled. "Okay. When you're ready, come to the kitchen. I think Julianna is cooking you a special breakfast."

"Oh boy!" Veronica squealed. "Matty, we're having pancakes."

"How do you know?" he asked.

"'Cause," she said, with seven-year-old logic, "Julianna asked me what my favorite breakfast food was, and I told her pancakes."

Dara laughed. "If you told her that, then I'm sure we're having pancakes for breakfast."

"With lots of syrup?" Matthew chimed in.

"With plenty of syrup," Dara assured both of them.

"C'mon, Matty," Veronica said, scrambling out of her bed. "We gotta get downstairs."

After breakfast had been heartily consumed, Camille arrived to observe another day at the Ward household.

"Did the children sleep well?" she asked Dara and Justus, after she had watched Matthew and Veronica play on the swings and on the slide in the backyard.

"Yes, they did," Justus answered.

"Did they wake up during the night? If so, were they afraid or asking for their mother?"

"No," Dara replied. "To our knowledge, they slept through the night."

"Did you check on them to make sure they were all right and that they didn't need anything?"

"Yes," Justus admitted. "I did. Several times."

Dara grinned. "I did, too. I think we took turns."

Camille smiled. "So, neither of you got much sleep."

They looked at each other and chuckled.

"I guess not," Justus said.

"But we needed to make sure they were all right," Dara defended.

"I agree," Camille said. "You did the right thing. I'm sure there will be many sleepless nights in your future."

Justus wrapped his arm around his wife's waist and drew her closer to his side.

"It'll be worth it," he said, "to know that those wonderful children feel contented and safe in this home."

*~*

When A.J. entered Keesha's room, he was doubly pleased to see her sitting in a chair and that Nikolas was visiting.

"What's this?" he asked.

Keesha smiled. "I'm going to try walking today, with the assistance of a nurse and a walker."

"And I decided it had been too long since I'd seen Keesha. I get progress reports from Ellen, but I wanted to see for myself how she's doing. You look wonderful."

"Thanks."

"I heard Matthew and Veronica went home with Dara and Justus," Nikolas said.

"They did," Keesha confirmed. "Julianna said they were settling in nicely."

"I hope they'll become friends with Sonya and Nikolas. Do you think it would be okay if Gia called them in a few days and invited them over?"

"I'm sure that would be fine."

"Great. Well, I'll you two visit. I'll see you again soon, Keesha."

She smiled. "I look forward to it."

"When do you walk?" A.J. asked Keesha, once they were alone.

"As soon as the nurse returns with the walker."

"Have you been sitting up long?"

"About twenty minutes."

"How does it feel?"

"It feels great."

"What about that pain you had yesterday?"

"It eased up. Ellen said that would probably happen, but she told me it wouldn't be uncommon if it came back again."

"But the anti-rejection medication is doing its job, right?"

"Yes. Ellen said I am on track."

A.J. smiled. "So this evening, you'll be able to cross off another day on your calendar."

She returned his smile as she squeezed his hand. "Most definitely."

*~*

Later that morning, Kevin entered Michael's room, recording device in hand, and asked his patient if he was up for another session.

"Yes," Michael said.

Bobbie and Tony were present once again.

"Is it okay if we start this session with the question I wanted to ask you yesterday?"

Michael nodded.

Kevin started the recorder and then made his inquiry.

"Michael, at any time, did Jason say anything to you about what you had witnessed? Did he tell you anything about the explosion? Did he lead you to believe you had seen it happen?"

"No."

Michael's answer was definite.

"When we were in the penthouse, he made it seem as though I had always been there. I guess he knew I had no recollection of being in the garage, and he didn't say anything to make me think I had been there or that I had lost time."

"What did he say to you?"

"He told me that something very bad had happened and that he had called my grandmother. He said she was on her way and that she would tell me what was going on."

"Did you ask him what had happened?"

"Yes. But he wouldn't tell me. He just said my grandmother would be there soon."

"What happened when your grandmother arrived?"

Michael looked at Bobbie as his voice grew very quiet. "I could tell she had been crying. She looked at Jason but didn't say anything. She hugged me really tightly and told me we were leaving."

"She didn't talk to you in front of Jason?"

"No. My grandmother and Jason didn't say anything to each other that I remember."

"I just wanted to get Michael out of there," Bobbie said, her voice trembling.

Tony drew her close and gently rubbed her back.

"Then, what happened, Michael? What do you remember?"

"I remember sitting in my grandmother's car. She was crying again and shielding me. Uncle Luke and Lucas were in the car, too. I started getting a weird feeling. They were looking at me with sad faces. I wanted to know what was going on. Grandma talked to me in the backseat while Luke drove. She said we had to go to the hospital. She told me that's where my mother was. I didn't understand. I told her my mother and Sonny had gone to dinner. My grandmother started crying some more. I remember I started to freak. I didn't want to go to GH, but my grandmother said I had to. I remember asking about Sonny. No one would answer me."

"What happened next?"

Michael rubbed his forehead and repositioned himself in the bed before he answered.

"Take your time," Kevin coaxed.

Michael nodded. "We arrived at GH. I remember not wanting to go inside. I knew something bad had happened, but I didn't want to know what it was. Lucas helped me, right, Grandma?"

"Yes, honey, he did."

"He talked to me because my grandmother was being consoled by Uncle Luke. Lucas told me I needed to go inside. I needed to see my mother. I would want to see my mother. No one said anything about the bomb. I thought maybe my mother had gotten sick or something."

"So you finally went inside?" Kevin asked.

"Yes. We were in the ER. So many people were running around. I remember Luke trying to find out what was going on. Grandma was sitting in a chair, trying to talk to me, but I didn't want to hear what she had to say. I remember covering my ears and yelling at my grandmother to stop talking! Finally, Lucas took me aside and told me what had happened. He was the one who told me Sonny had died and that my mother was fighting for her life. I remember that now. It was Lucas who told me what happened!"

"Yes," Bobbie confirmed. "Lucas was the one who told you, Michael."

"What do you remember from that time?" Kevin asked.

"I remember telling Lucas I didn't believe him. I accused him of lying. I tried to run away, but he grabbed me and wouldn't let go. He just held on to me. Everyone around me was crying, but I refused to cry. My mother was not dying. That wasn't possible. It just wasn't possible!"

When Michael's breathing became labored and perspiration appeared on his forehead, Kevin told him to take a break and to drink some water.

"Do you want me to end this session?" Kevin asked, when Michael had calmed down.

"No. I need to keep going. I need to remember everything."

"Do you want anything?" Tony asked.

Michael looked at his father. "Thanks, Dad, but I'm okay."

"What happened next?" Kevin asked, when Michael told him he was ready to continue.

"Uncle Luke told us my mother was in ICU. They were going to operate on her, but the doctor said she wasn't strong enough to survive it. I didn't want to see my mother. Lucas stayed with me while Luke took Grandma to see my mother. I remember Jason arriving and causing a scene. He saw me, and he wanted to know where my grandmother was. Lucas talked to him. I just sat huddled in the chair. I remember being afraid and not wanting to know what was happening. After a while, my grandmother returned and told me that my mom was awake and was asking for me. I couldn't believe it. I thought my grandmother was going to tell me my mother had died. She...she brought me to see my mother."

Michael drank some water and then closed his eyes.

"Should we end this for now?" Kevin asked, concerned about the strain this was causing his patient.

Michael shook his head. He continued to talk with his eyes closed.

"I didn't recognize my mother, but my grandmother helped me to hold her hand. I remember it was cold. There were all these machines, beeping and humming and whirring. I was so scared. The woman in the bed didn't look anything like my mother. I didn't want to believe it was her. But if she wasn't my mother, did that mean my mother was dead? I didn't want to know the answer to that question, so I never voiced it."

Kevin looked at Bobbie, who was now clinging to Tony.

"Did your mother say anything to you?" Kevin asked Michael, his voice low and even.

He nodded and opened his eyes to look at his doctor. "Yes. She said she was sorry for what she was about to put me through but that she loved me and that she never meant to hurt me. She asked Grandma where Jason was. She said she had to talk to Jason. My mom's voice was scaring me. I told Grandma that Jason was in the waiting room. I remember wanting her to go get him so my mother wouldn't be so upset."

"What happened next?"

Michael shook his head. "I don't remember. I wanted to tell my mother I loved her and that I didn't want her to die, but I don't think I did. I think Grandma took me out of the room. The next thing I remember we were sitting in an office, at the hospital, and my grandmother told me she had some news to tell me."

"What was the news, Michael?"

He closed his eyes again, this time to ward off the pain of the memory he was about to recall. His voice cracked when he spoke. "That my whole life had been a lie. That my mother made a confession in front of witnesses that A.J. wasn't my father."

"What did you do?"

"I started throwing things. I was so angry. How could my mother do that to me? How could she lie to me my entire life?! I hated her. I hated Sonny. I hated both of them!!"

"We had to restrain him," Tony said, his voice breaking. "We had to keep Michael sedated for the next two days. His rage was out of control."

"That's right," Michael said, looking at his father. "You were there. We were in your office. You and Jason were arguing while my grandmother was crying and yelling at you to stop fighting!"

Bobbie wiped her eyes. "The truth had come out about Tony being Michael's father."

"And Jason tried to deny it even after Carly signed the confession before she died," Tony supplied.

"Jason said she didn't know what she was signing and that it had been done under duress," Bobbie explained.

"But Carly told Bobbie and me the truth, in front of Jason. He was livid."

"Jason was going to take me away, wasn't he?" Michael asked. "That's why you guys were arguing."

"Yes," Tony said, sitting on the edge of his son's bed. "Jason did not want you to be with me. He was going to fight for you, but I let him know I was going to fight just as hard to keep you in Port Charles. And that this time, the law would be on *my* side. Under the most tragic of circumstances, I finally learned the truth. You were my son. I wanted a chance to be your father."

Michael reached out his arms to hug his father.

"As much as I thought I wanted to go with him, I would have never felt safe if I had gone with Jason," Michael said. "I know that now. I'm sorry I threw Jason in your face the other day. In the end, my mother did the right thing. She finally told the truth about my paternity. Jason would have never done that. I realize that now. What he wanted wasn't right, and I was wrong, very wrong, to worship him the way I did. I wasn't his son, and he shouldn't have tried to keep me from you."

Tony pulled Michael back and studied his face.

"Are you okay, Michael, really okay, with me being your father?"

"Yeah," Michael said and nodded. "I'm really okay with you being my dad. I love you, and I'm glad you're my father. I really am."

Tony hugged his son once more. "I'm so proud to call you my son. I love you, Michael. I'm not innocent in this whole paternity mess, but I've wanted you since the day your mother told me she was pregnant. I don't want you to ever have doubts about whether or not you are wanted and loved because you are. By me, your grandmother, your brother, your many relatives and a host of other people. You're going to be fine, Michael. I know you are."

"I hope you're right about me being fine, Dad. Because that's what I want the most: to be emotionally and mentally healthy."

"We have more work to do in that regard," Kevin said.

Michael nodded in acknowledgement.

"I have one more question for you, and then we'll end today's session. What happened when you woke up after having been sedated?"

Michael looked at his grandmother. "I learned my mother had died."

"What did you do?"

Michael shrugged. "I didn't do anything. I was numb. I had no reaction. I didn't know how I was supposed to feel, what I was supposed to do, so I didn't do anything. And then, as you know, I got angry. At everyone and everything. I started down a very self-destructive path."

"What about now, Michael? How do you feel right now?"

"I feel a sadness I haven't felt in a long time. But I don't feel angry."

"Do you want to explore that now or wait until tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow," Michael said, clearly exhausted.

"Okay. I will abide by your decision."

Kevin stopped the recorder.

"We'll talk more tomorrow."

Michael nodded. "Is it okay if I talk to my grandmother? Alone?"

"Of course," Kevin said.

Tony told his son he would be in the hallway if he needed him.

"Thanks, Dad. I just need to say something to Grandma."

Tony smiled. "I understand."

Bobbie took Tony's place on the bed once they were alone. She stroked her grandson's hair and asked him what was on his mind.

"I need you to be honest with me."

"Okay. About what?"

"About my mother. I really don't remember what happened when I was in her room. Did I tell her I loved her? Did I tell her I didn't want her to die? Because I loved my mother, Grandma, and I didn't want her to die."

"Michael, your mother knew you loved her, and she knew you wanted her to find a way to pull through. But it was not to be."

"But did I tell her, Grandma?" Michael asked, his voice urgent. "Did I say those words in her room? Help me to remember. Please. Did I tell my mother how much I loved her before she died?!"

Bobbie nodded as the tears rolled freely down her cheeks. "Yes, my precious boy. You told your mother you loved her. More than once. She knew it, Michael. If she knew only one thing in her life, it was how much you loved her."

Bobbie drew him into her arms and hugged him.

"We'd had such a terrible fight that night, and I was so frightened to see her in the hospital. I don't remember being restrained and then being knocked out for two days. When you told me my mom had died, anger, and then drugs, soon controlled my life. I never cried for my mother," Michael confessed, remaining in his grandmother's loving arms. "I was so angry and crazy with fury and drugs that I never allowed myself to grieve for her, did I?"

"I wasn't sure," Bobbie said, gently rubbing his back, "but I thought maybe you hadn't yet mourned your mother's death."

"I've been afraid to," he admitted, his voice quiet. "One of the most vivid memories I have of my mother is that she cried all the time. I was scared that if I let myself cry, I'd never stop. I'd be just like my mother."

He pulled back from his grandmother and looked into her eyes.

"My mother did the right thing in the end, didn't she, Grandma? She allowed me to know who my true father was. That's a good thing, right? Jason wasn't going to do that. He was going to be selfish and let me think A.J. was my father, even though he would've never let me see A.J. How mean was that? I should be thanking my mother, right, that she finally told the truth, even if she waited until she knew she was dying to do it?"

"Yes, Michael," Bobbie said, framing his boyishly handsome face with her hands, "your mother did right by you in the end. You know who your father is. Jason didn't want you to know that Tony was your father, but your mother couldn't die knowing she hadn't told you the truth. She knew, in her heart, you had to know who your real father was."

Michael nodded. "That's what I thought. That's what I sorta remembered earlier. I know a lot of people didn't like my mother, and they had their reasons, but Grandma, I miss my mother. I miss her so much. She was my mother. I lost my mother. She's really gone, and she's never coming back!"

"I know, honey, believe me, I know. Not a day goes by that I don't think about my daughter and miss her something fierce."

The tears Michael had held in check for almost four years came spilling down his pale cheeks. But they weren't angry, bitter tears. They were cleansing tears from someone who had lost a very important person in his life and had never had the chance to properly mourn the loss. They were tears of sadness and regret and disappointment of things that would never be. They were tears he'd held on to for far too long. His release was therapeutic and so very necessary. Bobbie knew that, and she was grateful he'd finally allowed himself to cry.

"I loved my mother," Michael said, and then he buried his face in his grandmother's shoulder. "And when I'm strong enough, I'll visit her grave so I can tell her that. And when I'm feeling very strong, I'll visit Sonny's grave. I'm tired of hating him, Grandma. I don't want to do this anymore. I want peace."

*~*

Later that evening, after Julianna had visited her mother, she once again tiptoed into Michael's room and left a treat for him on his table. This time it was their favorite candy: a chocolate almond Hershey's bar.

As she had done the previous night, she stood by his bed and gazed at him while he slept. She noticed the side railings were down, so she sat in the nearby chair to spend a moment or two with him in the stillness of his room. She lightly ran the pad of her tapered index finger down his bare arm, careful not to disturb his IV or wake him.

"I hope you're feeling better and getting the help you need," she whispered. "People are so mean around here. They won't tell me anything about how you're doing. That's why I have to sneak in here, Michael. I couldn't go to sleep if I didn't know you were okay. You look good, and I'm happy about that."

Unable to stop herself, she gently laid her head on the blanket covering his upper torso.

"Do you think about me?" she asked as she watched the medicine slowly drip from the bag attached to his IV. "I think about you all the time. I hope you enjoyed the cookies. I hate to leave you, but I know I have to. Goodnight, Michael. Be well. I know I'll be back tomorrow to see you. I can't help it. It's just the way it has to be."

Chapter 58 by pinkrose

Chapter 58

When A.J. and Julianna entered Keesha's room, she sat on her bed, dressed in a forest green jogging outfit she had asked Bobbie to buy for her, waiting for the physical therapist to arrive.

"Look at you!" A.J. said. He gave her a conspiratorial wink. "Are you getting ready to flee this joint? I can help with your getaway. I know people who work here."

Keesha laughed. "Not quite. But I am going to visit another part of the hospital."

"Where are you going?" Julianna asked.

"To the gym."

It was her turn to wink at A.J.

"You remember the gym, right, A.J.?"

"Ah, yes, the GH gym. I have fond memories of it, actually."

He and Keesha exchanged knowing glances.

"Okay, you two," Julianna said. "I feel like you're talking in code or something. What's so great about the GH gym?"

Keesha smiled but shook her head. "Nothing we can share with you. Just know it holds a special place in your father's heart and mine."

"Oh it certainly does," A.J. confirmed.

Julianna rolled her eyes. "Whatever."

Her parents laughed.

"What's in your hand?" Keesha asked A.J.

"These?" A.J. said, shrugging. "I'm sorry they're not wrapped. I could tell your interest wasn't as piqued since they don't have pretty pink paper and a big bow on them."

"You are so bad," she chided. "I was excited about my own news. But I am interested in what you have there."

A.J. looked at his daughter. "What do you think? On a scale of one to ten, how interested does your mother seem?"

Julianna held up her hands and backed away. "You're not getting me into trouble. No way. I'm staying out of this one."

"A.J. Quartermaine," Keesha said, trying to sound stern, "what is in your hand?"

He laughed and fanned out the pamphlets for her to see. "I know our visit to Cape Cod is way in the future, but I thought you might like to see what's available. It's never too early to make plans, right?"

Keesha's eyes lit up. "That's a great idea. Okay, you're forgiven."

"Forgiven?" A.J. questioned and then laughed. "What do I need to be forgiven for? You're the one who couldn't care less about the pamphlets until a minute ago. Why am I the one who needs forgiveness?"

"Because you just do," Keesha said.

A.J. shook his head. "That's weak, Keesha. Especially for you."

He quickly stepped out of her path when she would have swatted his arm.

"The next time you really do need forgiveness," she warned, "it's not going to come so easily. Trust me."

He handed over the brochures and then kissed her. "But you still love me, right?"

She tried not to give in to his forlorn look, but it wasn't easy. She loved that they could tease each other. "I'm thinking about it."

He placed a hand over his heart. "You wound me, Keesha. You really do."

"Good. Somebody has to keep you in line."

Their banter was interrupted by the arrival of Jeff, an athletic-looking young man, who was the physical therapist. He parked the wheelchair next to her.

"Keesha Ward?"

"That's me."

"I'm here to take you to the gym so we can get you moving well enough to leave this place."

"That sounds good to me," she said.

"Is this your family?" he asked, his clear blue eyes looking from A.J. to Julianna.

"Yes. This is my daughter, Julianna, and this is her father, A.J."

"Nice to meet all of you," he said. "You're more than welcome to come with us. I'm going to show Keesha some exercises she can do anytime, and I'm going to get her leg and arm muscles strong again."

"Sure," Julianna said. "We'll go. Is that okay?"

"It's fine with me," Keesha said.

"Me, too," A.J. concurred.

Julianna and A.J. hung back to allow Jeff to assist Keesha into the wheelchair. She leaned in to whisper in her father's ear. "I can't wait to see this gym."

A.J. laughed. "Just remember it's where I used to work."

"If that's what you want to call it," she said, and then heat rushed to her cheeks when her father stared, open-mouthed, at her.

"I'm telling your mother what you said," he teased.

"You just don't want to be the only one in trouble," she retorted.

"This is true," he said and laughed. "This is very true. If I'm going to be on Keesha's list, someone has to be on there with me. Who better to be in trouble with than my own beautiful daughter? What do you say?"

Julianna laughed and shook her head. "I'll think about it," was all she would commit to.

*~*

Michael looked up from the magazine he had been reading when Lucas entered the room.

"Hey," Michael said, happy to see his brother.

"Hey, yourself," Lucas returned, pulling up a chair and straddling it.

"I'm glad you're here."

"I would've visited sooner, but Mom said you were having a rough time. She emphasized you needed your rest."

"The last couple of days have been pretty bad," Michael admitted, "but I think I finally pieced everything together. Why didn't you ever tell me the major part you played? If it hadn't been for you..."

Lucas waved him off. "Mom would've told you if I hadn't."

"But you were so good to me, Lucas. I remembered that. Thank you."

"It was a really rotten time. For all of us. Mom lost her daughter. I, more or less, lost a sister, but you, Michael, you lost your mother. That's rough at any age. Trust me, I know. And it's not just through death that we lose someone."

Michael nodded. "You're right. I'm sorry it took me so long to remember how well you treated me even before you knew I was your brother."

Lucas laughed. "We've always been related. One way or another."

The young man smiled. "I'm glad you're my brother."

Lucas grinned. "You're not so bad yourself."

"Thanks," he said and laughed.

"So," Lucas asked, resting his chin on the back of the chair, "has anyone asked you the $64,000 question?"

"What question?"

"Why did you just happen to choose this particular time to recall the details of that fateful night?"

*~*

"So this is the gym," Julianna said, looking around. "Did you work the whole place by yourself, Dad? It seems big."

"I was in charge of the workout equipment," he said, also looking around. "It doesn't seem to have changed much."

Jeff had taken Keesha to the exercise room. A.J. and Julianna waited in the main area.

"This is so great for Mama," she said. "She really seems to have her spark back."

"Yes, she does," A.J. agreed with a smile. "It's wonderful to see."

Julianna nodded and smiled. "You and Mama may get to take that trip sooner than either of you think."

A.J. looked thoughtful. "Maybe. But there's something I need to do before that happens."

"What?"

A.J. smiled at his daughter. "Can you keep a secret?"

"Sure."

"Soon, Julianna, very soon. I'm going to ask your mother to marry me."

*~*

"Why do you think there's something significant about the timing of my memory recall?"

"Don't you think there is?" Lucas countered.

Michael shrugged. "I haven't stopped to think about it."

"Maybe you should," Lucas hinted.

"I don't get it," he said, clearly confused. "If you know something, tell me."

"Are you sure you want to hear my theory?"

"Yes," Michael said, growing antsy. "What am I missing?"

"I could be totally off base, and if someone with more wisdom and knowledge says I'm out of line, I'll believe them. Otherwise, I don't think anybody can convince me this doesn't relate back to Julianna."

"Huh? Julianna? What does she have to do with this?"

"From where I'm sitting, everything. You told her you couldn't be around her, and then your memories come crashing down around you? I think you couldn't stand the thought of not being with her."

"So I made myself remember?"

"Yes. You were going along fine, Michael, and now, suddenly, the gaps just had to be filled in? I think you finally found someone who made it worth you going through that hell. Because you want to be with her, but you know you need to be emotionally and mentally stable."

Michael sat up in his bed, stunned by his brother's words. "I never thought about it like that."

"Like I said, maybe, just maybe, I'm way off base, but my instincts tell me I'm right. Take it for what it's worth. Especially since I'm not a psychologist."

"You've given me something to think about, that's for sure. I miss Julianna like crazy. I'll admit that. I swear, sometimes, I feel like she's here, and the last couple of mornings, I've woken up and found little treats on my table. If I believed in fairies..."

Lucas laughed. "It's probably Mom who's leaving them, even though she'll deny it."

"She has. So has Lesley Lu."

"Women. Don't you know they're not to be trusted," Lucas said, with mock contempt.

Michael laughed. "Serena better not ever hear you say that. Even in jest."

At the mention of his girlfriend’s name, Lucas smiled. "You’re right. So what do you do around here for fun?"

"Fun?" Michael said, clearly not amused. "What's that? I'm in the hospital, remember? Nothing fun is going on here. Believe me."

"I believe you. I talked to Dad, and guess what? He agreed to let you and me play some one-on-one basketball in the gym. What do you say?"

"I say that sounds good. But what about this?" Michael asked, holding up his right arm where the IV was attached.

"Mom said that was coming out today, according to Dr. Collins."

"Really? That must mean I'm not getting any more sleeping aids. That makes me very happy."

Lucas shrugged. "I don't know about that. I think Mom will be here soon. She'll tell you what's going on. Once the IV's been removed, change into this sweat suit, and let's go."

*~*

Still thinking about her father's announcement and how happy she was about it, Julianna did not see Michael and Lucas when they entered the gym a little while later, but A.J. did. He looked at his daughter; and when he realized she was staring off into space, he waved his hand in front of her face.

"What?" she asked, thinking he had spoken and she hadn't heard.

"Nothing. I didn't say anything. But I wanted you to be aware of something."

"Aware of what? Did Mama come out of the exercise room?"

"No. But Lucas and Michael are shooting hoops on the other side of the gym where the basket is."

Julianna looked over at the same time Lucas brought to Michael's attention that A.J. and Julianna were also in the gym. Their eyes met and held for just a moment before both looked away.

"Did you set this up?" Michael asked his brother, his tone accusatory.

"No way. How would I know where Julianna and A.J. spend their time?"

"Maybe Grandma knew, and she told you."

"Michael, stop with the conspiracy theories. This is purely an accident. I assure you."

He passed the ball for Michael to shoot.

"But now that you two have seen each other..."

Michael eyed the net and aimed the ball. "I'm not going to say anything. I can't. Not yet."

Lucas shrugged. "Whatever."

*~*

"Do you want to talk to him?" A.J. asked his daughter.

"I want to, but I have to respect his wishes. He saw me. If he wants to talk to me, he can."

A.J. placed his hand on Julianna's shoulder. "I understand. Would you mind if I talked to him? I'd like to find out how he's doing."

"Of course. I'm going to step outside. I need air."

"Okay. Meet back here."

"I will."

Julianna started to walk away and then stopped to look at her father. "Tell Michael, and Lucas, I said 'hi'."

A.J. smiled. "I will."

*~*

"Don't look now," Lucas said, "but A.J. is on his way over."

"With Julianna?"

"No. By himself."

Michael found himself breathing a sigh of relief.

"Is it that bad?" Lucas asked and then laughed.

"I just wasn't expecting to see her, that's all."

Lucas nodded. "Silly me."

He turned to greet A.J. as he approached them.

"Mr. Quartermaine. It's nice to see you again."

"Hi, Lucas. It's nice to see you, too. And please. Call me A.J."

"A.J., it is."

"Hi, A.J.," Michael said, holding the basketball against his chest. "How are you?"

"It's good to see you, Michael. I'm fine. How are you?"

"I'm doing okay."

"Good."

"If you two don't mind," Lucas said, after spotting Julianna standing outside the gym but looking at Michael through the window, "I'm going to get some water. Can I get either of you anything?"

A.J. and Michael shook their heads.

"I'll be back in a few."

Michael nodded. "Sure."

He let the basketball fall from his hands.

"You know what's been going on?" Michael asked.

"Some. But don't worry. It's not like everyone knows."

"I'm getting better," Michael said, needing to convince A.J. for reasons he couldn't fully explain.

A.J. smiled. "I'm sure you are."

"Before you leave the hospital today, could you...could you come to my room? There's something I need to talk to you about."

"Sure. Keesha is here for physical therapy. I'm sure she'll be tired once she gets back to her room. When she falls asleep, I'll come by."

"Thanks, A.J. I'd appreciate it."

"No problem. See you later."

*~*

"Julianna, how are you?" Lucas asked the young girl who had continued to stare at Michael through the window as he and her father spoke.

She thought he looked wonderful, even if he was dressed all in gray and his hair wasn't combed.

At the unexpected greeting, she jumped as though she'd been caught cheating on a test. She turned around and gave Lucas a wan smile.

"Hi, Lucas. I...I'm fine."

"It's okay with me if you want to look at Michael. I'm sure you're curious as to how he's doing."

"I am, although to be honest, I sort of know he's okay."

Lucas grinned. "Oh yeah? How is it you know about Michael's progress?"

Julianna hugged herself and turned away from Lucas' piercing gaze.

"Julianna," he said, forcing her to look at him. "Tell me. I'd like to know."

"I've never thought about what I've been doing in this context, but now that you've caught me looking at him, I feel somewhat like a stalker."

"Nah. You'd have to do a lot more than just look at him in a public place to be considered a stalker."

"How about visiting his room every night while he's sleeping, talking to him as if he were awake, and leaving treats on his table?"

Lucas laughed outright. "So you're the one! This is too funny. You have been driving Michael crazy, which I think is good. He needs to be kept guessing."

Julianna gave him a puzzled look. "He mentioned the treats?"

"Oh yeah. He can't figure out who's been leaving them for him, although to be fair, he said he thought you had been in his room, but then he dismissed it. So maybe he's not as sound asleep as you might think."

Julianna felt the heat rising to her cheeks. "I wait until visiting hours are almost over. Whenever I've checked in on him, he appears to be sleeping. I don't stay very long, but I just...I have to know he's all right."

Lucas smiled and patted her arm. "I think my brother is a very lucky guy. And," he added cryptically, "I think he may well be on his way to realizing that."

*~*

A very tired and sore Keesha returned to her room, grateful to climb into bed.

"Do you want us to leave so you can get some sleep?" A.J. asked.

"You don't have to leave, but don't be surprised if I nod off soon."

"If you have something you need to do, Dad, I can stay with Mama until she falls asleep."

"You wouldn't mind?"

"No."

"Thanks. I'll call you tonight, Keesha."

He kissed Keesha and Julianna good-bye and then headed for Michael's room.

*~*

"Hey, A.J.," Michael said, when he entered his room. "Thanks for agreeing to see me."

"Anytime, you know that. Did you and Lucas have fun shooting baskets?"

"Yeah. He always beat me, but that's okay. Sit down."

A.J. sat in a nearby chair and studied Michael's face.

"You look like you have something important to say."

"It's kinda serious," he admitted. "And kinda personal, so if you don't want to answer my question, I'll totally understand. Totally."

"Michael, you know you can ask me anything. What's on your mind?"

He cleared his throat and fiddled with his blankets while thinking how best to pose his question. A.J. smiled inwardly at the young man's nervous habits. Michael finally looked at A.J.

"How...how did you finally learn to forgive yourself for the accident that changed Jason's life? Or have you forgiven yourself?"

A.J. gave a small laugh. "Got an easier question I can answer?"

"It's okay, A.J.," Michael rushed to assure him. "You don't have to tell me. It's none of my business anyway."

"Michael, Michael, I'm going to answer your question because it's a very valid one."

Michael waited with keen interest to hear what the older man had to say.

"I'll answer the second question first. As hard as it is to believe sometimes, yes, I have forgiven myself for that accident. I had to. It was the only way I could've gone on with my life."

"But it took you a long time, right?"

"Yes. It took me many years. Many self-destructive and wasted years, unfortunately."

Michael nodded. "That's what I thought. I'm trying very hard to forgive myself for some very horrific thoughts I’ve had, but I'm not sure I can do it."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"In recalling the events of the night my mom and Sonny died, I remembered that I wished Sonny were dead. And then he died. I know, somewhere in my brain, my wishing did not make it so, but I cringe, A.J., when I think I could be the type of person who could wish someone dead. That's not who I want to be."

"I can understand that. Oh yes, I can."

"The problem, for me, is that I really didn't like Sonny. I did have hate for him. I don't like that trait in myself either, but it's true. I'm trying to work through all that, and come to terms with him, his role in my life, and his death."

"That's what I had to do with Jason. I went through every emotion you can imagine, and I was older than you. You are so wise and mature for your age. It's unbelievable to me when I think how reckless and self-absorbed I was when I was your age. Drinking alcohol meant nothing to me. I did it for sport. Now I admit I have no love for Sonny, but my guess is he would tell you that you wishing he were dead, in what was probably a moment or two of anger, was not what killed him. A lot of factors, of which I am sure you were not a part of, contributed to his ultimate demise."

"I get that. I do. But, A.J., you don't know how much we fought. I went against my mother, too, time and time again. It was getting real ugly, real fast."

"I remember you talking about that when you lived with me. You didn't go into a lot of detail, but I gathered things were pretty bad at home. I worried about that, Michael. For you. Because I remember what happened to me, and I kept thinking, if you don't stop the drugs now, you wouldn't have any hope."

"How did you hold on to your hope when no one was encouraging you?"

Michael sincerely wanted to know.

"It's that point when you come to the end of yourself. I'm sure I would've ended up in the gutter, literally, but something inside of me pushed me on. That voice told me to take one more step and another and another until, finally, I found help. And hope that I could put my life back together. That I could make a difference and that I wanted to make a difference. That I didn’t want to be remembered only as the Quartermaine screw-up, the one who ruined his brother’s life, the one who could never do anything right. Was it easy? No, it wasn't. It was damn hard. It still is. I had a lot of struggles along the way, and I still have them. But I also have my successes, and I know, just for today, I don't need a drink to get by. I have hope."

"Maybe that's what I need to do. Maybe I need to say, just for today, I won't be angry and I won't think hate-filled thoughts about Sonny or anyone."

"That sounds good to me, but remember, Michael. I'm not your therapist."

"No, A.J., you're a lot more than that. You're the man, my very good friend, and the one who helped me find myself when I didn't want to be found. I don't care how many times or how many ways you try to deny it or try to deflect the credit I give you onto other people, you were the one, A.J. The only one who told me the way it was, but also cared enough about me not to abandon me when you knew I had no way out. I'll never, ever forget what you did for me. I don't think I would've ever had the courage to let those memories surface if you hadn't helped me through my darkest time. You gave me that initial hope, A.J., and I know, somehow, someway, it's going to carry me through the rest of my life. One day at a time."

As A.J. looked at the handsome young man who appeared so much older than sixteen, almost seventeen, he couldn't help but wonder if the rest of Michael's life was destined to include his daughter.

Chapter 59 by pinkrose

Chapter 59

The next few days passed in a flurry of activity for the residents of Port Charles, and before A.J. and Julianna fully realized it, Keesha's day to be released from the hospital had arrived.

Since Matthew and Veronica continued to adjust well to living with Dara and Justus, Keesha and Julianna decided to stay with A.J. in his suite.

"Mama, aren't you excited?" Julianna asked, when she and A.J. arrived at the hospital.

Keesha beamed. "Very. I already have my discharge papers. I just need to see Ellen in her office before we leave. There's something I want to ask her."

The orderly arrived with the wheelchair and steered her to Ellen's office. A.J. and Julianna followed.

"I thought you would be long gone," Ellen said, looking genuinely surprised. "I signed your discharge papers right after I examined you early this morning."

"I have them. I thought of something I wanted to ask you after you'd left my room. I decided your office was a better place to voice my question."

"What is it?" Ellen inquired, folding her hands on her desk.

"Is there anyway I will ever know whose liver I have?"

"Because we know the recipients are curious, we do give out information, but it's very limited. We do not reveal the person's identity."

"I understand. What can you tell me?"

Ellen pulled Keesha's file from the drawer and quickly scanned it.

"The donor was a black female, a few years younger than you. She died in an auto accident just outside of Port Charles. General Hospital was the nearest facility. That's how come we were able to receive her liver and process you as a possible match so quickly."

Keesha squeezed A.J.'s hand. "That's so sad. I wonder if she left a husband or children behind?"

"According to what we received on her, she did have two children. We understand she was a very courageous and giving woman."

"Her death allowed me to live," Keesha said in awe. "I don't think I will ever get used to that fact, and in all honesty, I don't want to. I never want to take this precious gift of life for granted."

*~*

When they arrived at A.J.'s suite, bouquets of beautiful and vibrant flowers adorned the living and dining areas.

"From many well-wishers," A.J. said and smiled.

He kissed Keesha and welcomed her and Julianna to his suite.

"The flowers are absolutely stunning," Keesha said.

She inhaled the sweet fragrances as a smile lit up her lovely face. She and Julianna took turns reading the cards from Dara and Justus, Monica and Alan, Skye and Tom, Gia and Nikolas, Emily and Zander, and Alexis and Ned. Bobbie had also sent a lovely bouquet. Julianna read the card from the arrangement sent by Tony and Michael. Seeing Michael's name typewritten gave her pause. She hadn't visited his room since her talk with Lucas. She suddenly felt shy and awkward about seeing him while he was sleeping. She didn't want Michael to think she was hounding him. He'd asked for room to breathe; she knew she had to honor that, even if it meant missing him more than she could have ever imagined.

"Are you tired?" A.J. asked Keesha. "I'll show you where the bedroom is."

"Not yet," she answered. "I want to enjoy this for a little while longer."

With the help of a cane, she slowly made her way to the bay window and looked out at the gorgeous summer day.

"I want to be out there again, embracing life," she said, her tone wistful.

A.J. came up behind her and gently squeezed her shoulders.

"You will," he whispered, his voice husky in her ear. "Sooner than you think. I have a good feeling about this."

Keesha turned her head to smile at him as she tenderly caressed his cheek. "So do I. I just need to give myself time."

When Keesha finally entered the bedroom, she saw vases on both night tables which contained a dozen of the most gorgeous pink roses she had ever seen. She gasped with delight and turned to smile at A.J.

"I know those are from you," she said.

He smiled and kissed her. "You're right. I can't deny it. I don't want to, either."

"A.J., they're beautiful."

"Just like you," he said.

She stepped into his waiting arms and let him hold her tightly.

"I'm so thankful to be here. With you. I love you, A.J."

"I love you, too, sweetheart, and believe me. I am very thankful you are here with me."

*~*

After Keesha had fallen asleep, Julianna asked her father if it was okay for her to go to "Kelly's" to meet up with Brooke Lynn and Lesley Lu. A.J. said it was fine and to have a good time.

As soon as Julianna entered the restaurant, Brooke Lynn waved her to the table.

"You look happy," Brooke Lynn said.

She wore a smile, too.

"Lesley Lu told me the good news. I'm so happy for your mom. How's she doing?"

"My mother is doing great."

"Where are you and your mom staying?"

"With my dad at the hotel."

"That's nice."

"Yeah," Julianna said, "it is."

"Wanna hear some more good news?"

"Sure."

"Lesley Lu said that Michael is going home tomorrow!"

"That's excellent. He's doing much better then, right?"

"I believe so. He'll still be seeing Dr. Collins, of course, but I guess it'll be more the way it was before he was hospitalized."

"I'm so happy for him," Julianna said. "I hope he's happy, too. Or at least satisfied with his progress."

"Lesley Lu said he seems to be feeling a lot better about things."

With so much good news, Julianna knew her heart should be light, but somehow, she didn't feel as good about things as she thought she would.

"As soon as Lu gets here, we'll order," Brooke Lynn said.

At the moment, they both had a glass of iced tea in front of them.

"That's fine. I'm not that hungry."

"Will you be leaving Port Charles soon?" Brooke Lynn asked, realizing how much she was going to miss her younger cousin.

"Probably. Mama has a follow-up appointment next week, and if everything's okay, I think she'll be able to travel."

"Wow. I can't believe you could be gone so soon."

"Me either. In some ways, it feels like I've been here all my life, and in other ways, it seems like I just got here yesterday. It's been a strange summer, no doubt about it. I hope you'll visit us in Philly."

"I would love to. If I can ever get time off, that is."

"Maybe one of the acts you're representing will give a concert in Philadelphia. Then you'd have to be there."

Brooke Lynn's dark eyes twinkled mischievously. "Yeah. I know someone who could make that happen."

"I know you're not talking about me."

"You'd be wrong."

"No way, Brooke Lynn. You haven't even heard me sing. Why are you taking someone else's word that I can sing well enough to be a performer?"

"Because it wasn't just one person. I'd love for you to sing for me. We could do a duet if you'd be more comfortable with that."

Julianna shifted uncomfortably in her chair. "I do have a favor I want to ask you, but why do I think the only way I'll get it is if I agree to this. I haven't had any formal voice training. What I've learned about singing has come from school and the church choir. That's it."

"Honey, if you have natural, God-given talent, it doesn't matter. What's the favor?"

"I...um...I did want to ask you if there was any way I could use your studio to record a couple of songs onto CDs. But they're for my own use," she hastened to add.

Brooke Lynn smiled. "Of course you can. On two conditions."

"I knew it," Julianna said, resigned to the fact that her cousin was going to bribe her into doing something she really didn't want to do.

"They're nothing bad," she said, shaking her head at what she perceived was Julianna's unreasonableness to share her talent with the world. "You can use the studio any time, as long as I get to hear what you're recording, and I get to make a copy of your recordings for myself."

"Why would you want a copy?"

"Just so I can listen to my cousin sing whenever I want to."

"You can't use those copies anywhere without my signed permission, right?"

"Right. And I would never do that anyway. Gia would kill me. That's not the way we run our business."

But, she added silently, that doesn't mean I can't use her CDs to entice Gia into wanting to sign Julianna to a contract if her voice is as good as others have said it is.

*~*

Three days later, Keesha felt well enough to visit Dara and Justus at their home and to meet Matthew and Veronica. She fell in love with them immediately, and they took to her right away, too.

"They have a play date today," Dara said. "Gia invited them to spend time with her and Nikolas, Jr. and Sonya."

"How nice," Keesha said. "Nikolas said he was going to ask you if they could visit."

"I'm driving them," Justus said. "I'll be back later. I want to make sure they feel comfortable."

Over tea, Keesha asked Dara about the children.

"Didn't you say their mother died in an automobile accident?"

Dara nodded.

"Do you know where the accident occurred?" A.J. asked.

He and Keesha had talked about the possibility of Matthew and Veronica's mother having been the liver donor.

"I'm not sure. I know it wasn't right in Port Charles, but nearby."

Keesha and A.J. exchanged wondering glances.

"Do you know any other details?" Keesha pressed.

"Not really. I can ask Mrs. Liden if there's something specific you want to know. Why such an interest in their mother?"

"Ellen told me a little about my liver donor at my request before I left the hospital. I know it's probably a long shot, but some of the details sounded as though Matthew and Veronica's mother could be the one who was the organ donor. I wanted to see if I could get the details to mesh."

"This is really strange. When Justus and I met with Mrs. Liden, she said that Matthew told her his mother was an organ donor and that he just knew some part of his mother lived on in someone else's body. Isn't that weird? Justus and I wondered if she was the one whose liver had been donated."

Keesha reached for A.J.'s hand and held it tightly. "If we're all thinking this, something tells me it must be true."

*~*

Late that afternoon, Julianna, a bundle of nerves mixed with excitement, arrived at L&B records, unsure what to expect. After being greeted warmly by Gia and Brooke Lynn, Julianna followed her cousin into the recording booth.

"This is where you will make your CDs," Brooke Lynn said.

She showed her the various equipment she would need and how to use it.

"I'll be in the sound room," she said. "I can help you with any adjustments you may need. Take all the time you want to practice or relax or whatever until you feel ready to record. Okay?"

Julianna nodded. "Are you really going to record this session for yourself, too?"

She had to ask one more time.

Brooke Lynn smiled. "Oh yes, I am."

Julianna took the time to get familiar with her surroundings and to feel comfortable singing into the microphone with headphones on. The first couple of takes, her voice squeaked and cracked. She was still too nervous. She willed herself to relax, close her eyes, and pretend she was singing in her bedroom by herself.

The next sounds Brooke Lynn and Gia heard were so sweet, harmonious and sultry, they couldn't help but to applaud once Julianna had finished the first song. She looked through the glass and shook her head. She didn't want their accolades; she just wanted to record the second song. These two songs were very special to her. She had written them and had planned to record them as gifts for her father on his birthday and for Michael at Christmas. But she knew using the recording studio and creating CDs would be much more professional and would make better gifts. She just didn't realize exactly how much it was going to cost her.

Gia and Brooke Lynn waited to pounce on her as soon as she exited the studio.

"You are magnificent!" Gia gushed. "Can you imagine what those songs would sound like with a full arrangement behind you?"

"That's not what I want," Julianna protested.

"Julianna, you have to share your gift with the world. You simply have to!" Brooke Lynn said.

"No, I don't," the younger girl maintained, "and I won't. I do not want to sing for commercial success. That's not what I want at all!"

Almost in tears, Julianna was about to flee the studio when Brooke Lynn caught her cousin and calmed her down.

"I'm sorry," she said, sincerely apologizing. She looked to Gia for support. "I had no idea you were that opposed to a possible singing career. I won't mention it again."

"Thank you. It's just...I don't know. I enjoy singing, but it truly isn't what I want to do with my life. To be honest," she said, revealing one of her best-kept secrets, "I'd much rather write songs for other people to sing than sing. But writing music seems to be a lot harder than I ever imagined. Singing seems to come more naturally for me, but writing is what I would rather be doing."

"Have you told anyone this?" Gia asked.

Julianna shook her head. "Who would I tell?"

Brooke Lynn laughed as she brushed her cousin's hair away from her face. "It's good you told us, honey. We can help you."

Julianna looked from Gia to Brooke Lynn. "Really? You can? How?"

"Um," Gia said and smiled, "that's part of what we do, Julianna. We have contacts. Tell us what you want to accomplish, and we'll see what we can do to make it happen."

"Wow, this is great!"

"Write down your goals," Brooke Lynn encouraged, "and what you believe you need to accomplish them, and we'll see what we can do."

"Okay," she said, her voice filled with excitement, "I will. Thank you so much!"

"May I ask you a question?" Gia said.

"Sure."

"Those two songs you just recorded? Did you write those?"

"Yeah," she said, lowering her eyes. "I did. Are they really terrible?"

"They're wonderful," Gia said.

Brooke Lynn agreed. "You're on the right track, Julianna. We'll help you any way we can."

"I appreciate this so much. Thank you!"

Impulsively, she hugged her cousin and then Gia.

"I want music to be a part of my life," she assured them. "But I'd much rather be sitting at a piano writing music for someone else than singing in front of a crowd. It's just not my thing."

Gia nodded. "Understood. There's nothing wrong with preferring to write than to sing. How blessed you have been."

"I know I have," Julianna agreed. "And I know I owe a lot of my ability to my great-grandmother. I would have loved to have met her. Thank goodness for pictures, journals, letters, recordings and, most importantly, Mama's exceptional memory."

"I hope you have your parents' support for this," Gia said.

"My parents know I like to write music. I'll see what their reaction is when I tell them you're willing to help me."

"If you need any help, let me know," Brooke Lynn volunteered.

"Me, too," Gia said. "You know, Justus brought Veronica and Matthew to the house earlier today to play for a while. He mentioned you might be leaving as early as next week. I hope you and your parents will come to our house for dinner one night before you leave."

"I'll mention it to my parents," Julianna said. "Thank you for the invitation."

"No problem."

Gia checked her watch and announced she had to make a phone call.

"I'll see you tomorrow," she said to Brooke Lynn. "Thanks for the special treat, Julianna. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing you sing."

"Thanks."

Julianna waited while Brooke Lynn tidied up her desk before leaving for the day.

"Does leaving next week seem like it's going to happen?" she asked.

"Yeah, it does. Mama's been doing great. She visited Dara and Justus earlier and said she didn't feel tired at all. She looks wonderful."

"Good for her. Bad for me that you'll be leaving. I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you, too, but we have e-mail and the telephone. And you said you would visit me in Philly," Julianna reminded her cousin.

"I know, and I will," she assured the young girl. "I do have one question for you, though."

"What's that?"

"Any plans to see Michael before you leave?"

Chapter 60 by pinkrose

Chapter 60

"It's really happening," Keesha said, her voice filled with wonder. "Julianna and I are returning to our home in Philadelphia. I can't believe it."

After Ellen gave Keesha the good news, she and A.J. and Julianna celebrated with a meal at the Grille. Now, they were in A.J.'s suite, packing for their respective trips.

"Tomorrow at this time, you'll be in your home," he said.

"And missing you," she said, wrapping her arms around his neck and hugging him. "So much."

"I'll be in Manhattan. That seems unreal, too."

"As soon as you find out about the project in Philadelphia, you'll let us know, right?"

"I promise I will."

"I love you, A.J."

He lowered his mouth to give hers a kiss. "I love you, too," he said, after ravishing her lips.

A knock on the door interrupted them.

"I'll get it," Julianna said, from the living room. "It's probably someone else dropping by to say good-bye."

She opened the door and gasped when she saw Michael standing on the other side.

"Hi," he said, feeling unsure of himself now that Julianna had answered the door.

But she looks so beautiful.

"Hi, Michael," she said, trying to get her heartbeat under control. "Come in."

"Thanks."

"How are you?" she asked, thinking he looked wonderful and sexier than ever.

"I'm good," he said, nodding. "How about you?"

"I'm fine."

"I...I heard you were leaving today. I wanted to say good-bye to you and your mom and A.J."

"They're in the bedroom doing some packing. I can get them for you."

"Sure, but in a minute, if you don't mind. I'd...I'd like to talk to you first."

"Of course."

"I...I've been working through some things," he began. "And because of that, I realize I need to apologize to you."

"Apologize? For what?"

Michael stuffed his hands inside the front pockets of his jeans. "I feel like such a fraud."

"What? Michael, what are you talking about?"

"When we first met over the Internet. Julianna, at that time, I felt as though I really had my life together, that I knew what I was doing. I was giving you advice when I should've been keeping my mouth shut. I guess that's the Spencer in me," he said with a self-deprecating chuckle.

"Michael, I don't think of you like that. I loved our talks. Do you know how much I looked forward to them? I couldn't wait to get online so I could see you. We were just stating how we felt about things."

"But you were in a rough place with your mom. I thought, because my mom had died, I knew everything there was to know about death and its consequences. Now I realize I knew nothing, and I certainly wasn't qualified to give you advice. But I'm learning, Julianna. I can honestly say I'm learning."

"Michael, do you think I only talked with you via the Web cam because I wanted advice about my mother? I mean, yes, it was something very important going on in my life, but I liked you. I liked talking with you, even if what we talked about was silly and immaterial. It was you I enjoyed spending my time with."

Michael visibly relaxed as he smiled. "I enjoyed it, too, Julianna. Very much. I let a bunch of stuff get in the way of that, though. The reason I'm telling you all of this is because I've been diligently working through my mother issues and my Sonny issues. When I was in the hospital, I finally allowed myself to cry genuine tears for my mother because of her tragic and unnecessary death and because of my devastating loss. They weren't angry, bitter tears; they were healing tears. I'm slowly learning how to let go of the anger I felt towards Sonny. The man is gone. He can't hurt me anymore, and I don't want to spend anymore of my time feeling angry and resentful towards him. I have a great dad. My grandmother is so special to me. My brother is awesome. My family is great, even if the relationships are wacky at times. My friends mean a lot to me, and you, Julianna, you are the best person to ever enter my life. If I had messed that up, I really would have never been able to forgive myself."

Julianna had tears in her eyes when he finished speaking. "You haven't messed up anything, Michael. I know I'm not supposed to feel this way. I'm too young, I don't know what I'm talking about, however the adults want to phrase it. But I know what I feel. In my heart. I love you, Michael. My feelings of friendship have turned to love. For you. I love you."

"Mine have, too," he said, his voice raw with emotion. "It took Lucas to point it out to me, but yeah. Whatever those feelings are that adults say we can't categorize as love because we're too young and don't know the true meaning, I don't believe them. Because my feelings for you are the most genuine and pure thing in my life. I love you so much, Julianna. I could not let you leave here without knowing that."

Looking at each other through tear-filled eyes, Julianna stepped into Michael's outstretched arms and let him hold her against him.

"I'm so glad you came to see me," she said, through her tears. "Thank you for loving me, Michael."

"I should've come sooner," he said, his own tears getting in the way. "But I was still too afraid. I'm so thankful I have Lucas to talk to. And I'm so very, very thankful that you love me, Julianna."

With tears in their eyes, Keesha and A.J. watched the two young people cling to each other as if their very lives depended on each other. When they finally broke apart, Michael wiped his eyes and pulled out a small wrapped package from his jacket pocket and handed it to Julianna.

"It was supposed to be your Christmas present, but I want you to have it now."

Julianna dried her eyes and then excitedly unwrapped the gift. What she saw when she opened the ring box made her squeal with delight. A ring with two gold hearts intertwined sat in the cushioned box.

"It's a friendship ring," Michael said, gently stroking her hair as she looked up at him adoringly.

"For now. I want to be with you, Julianna. And I don't want anyone coming between us."

She hugged him again. "I want that, too. Thank you, Michael. Thank you so much. I will wear it all the time. I'll never take it off. It's beautiful."

"Just like you, my precious one," Michael said, holding her close and wishing he had the power to make her stay so she would never leave him.

"He stole my line," A.J. whispered, and then chuckled to a weepy Keesha, who wanted to hug both of them.

She told him to hush. "Besides, you never called me your precious one," she said, and then chuckled, too.

"That's because you're my very special angel," he said, and then kissed her temple.

When Julianna and Michael had pulled themselves together, she asked her mother and father to come into the room. She proudly showed off her ring.

"It's beautiful," Keesha said, echoing her daughter's sentiment. "And so very thoughtful of you, Michael."

"Thanks," he said, embarrassed. "I know we won't be living in the same town anymore, but I wanted Julianna to know she's the only one for me."

"I definitely know it," she said. "And I feel the exact same way."

She couldn't stop gazing at her ring.

"I know you have a lot to do," Michael said, "so I'll be going. I just wanted to wish you a great trip. Keesha, I'm so happy that things worked out for you. You look radiant."

"Thank you, Michael. I'm very glad you're doing better, too. Give me a hug."

Michael gladly obliged.

"I know we'll be talking and seeing you," Keesha said. "So this is just good-bye for now."

"Sounds good to me," Michael said.

He looked at A.J. "What about you? Are you heading back to Manhattan?"

"Yes. As soon as I make sure Keesha and Julianna are all right, I'll be heading home."

"It's been so good to see you again," Michael said, his emotions rising to the surface once more. "Thank you, A.J., for everything you have done for me. There's no way I can ever repay you. My only hope is that you know how truly grateful I am that you are in my life. I wouldn't be standing here today if it hadn't been for you. I'll never, ever forget you. I love you."

Michael embraced an extremely emotional A.J.

"I'll never forget you either, Michael. Even though, biologically, you're not my son, you are one in my heart. You always have been, and you always will be. I love you, too, and I wish you nothing but happiness and success in whatever you do."

Too emotional to speak, Michael simply nodded his heartfelt thanks.

After they all took a moment to collect themselves, Michael told them he needed to be going.

"Wait a minute," Julianna said.

She ran into the bedroom and returned carrying a CD case. She handed it to a surprised Michael.

"I'm sorry it's not wrapped," she said. "It was going to be your Christmas present, but I want you to have it now."

"What is it?" he asked.

She looked at three pairs of curious eyes. "It's a CD Brooke Lynn let me record. I wrote a song for you, Michael, and I put it to music. I hope you like it."

"I'm sure I'll love it," he said, overwhelmingly touched by such a thoughtful gift from such a wonderfully thoughtful young lady.

He opened the CD case to look at the recording. She had written the title on it.

"We Were Meant To Be"
"Words and music by Julianna Mae Ward Quartermaine"
"Sung by your special 'Jule'"

"I love it," Michael said. "I'll treasure it always. Thank you so much."

He embraced Julianna one more time and then turned to leave, promising he would listen to the song as soon as he got home.

"I'll send you an e-mail, or better yet a text message, to tell you how much I love it," he said and smiled.

She returned his smile with a soft one of her own. "I can't wait to read it," she assured him.

"Walk me to the elevator?" he asked, reaching for her hand.

"Sure," she answered, already anticipating the kiss she hoped they would share.

She was not disappointed. Once Michael made sure they were alone, he lowered his head and captured her soft pliant lips with his and then wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer. She moaned quietly when he parted her mouth so his tongue could glide into her mouth, which caused her to lean into him more. She loved tasting him again and being in his arms. As the kiss lingered and grew deeper, she knew she had made the right decision. Michael was the only for her. She couldn't imagine being with anyone else.

Framing her lovely face within the palms of his hands, Michael smiled when they finally broke apart.

"I couldn't leave here without kissing you to remind you how much you mean to me. I know we can't be together right now, Julianna, but know in your heart that there's no one else for me. Because there isn't."

"I feel the exact same way," she assured him, and then kissed him again to make sure he knew how much she cared for him.

*~*


When Julianna returned to the suite, she told her parents she needed to say something.

"I hope the two of you don't mind," she began.

"Mind about what?" Keesha asked.

"The title I used for the song I wrote for Michael? The two of you inspired me. After all my fussing and complaining and not wanting to know my father, I've come to realize something very important this summer."

"What's that?" A.J. asked, placing his arms around the two women in his life and holding them close.

She looked at her parents and then graced them with a wide smile. "The two of you were so meant to be."

A.J. turned his attention to Keesha and smiled at her. "We so were," he agreed.

It was Keesha's turn to comment. "If our daughter says it's so, then it's true. You and me, baby. We were definitely meant to be."

Chapter 61 by pinkrose

Chapter 61

During the next few weeks after Keesha and Julianna had returned to Philadelphia and A.J. had made the return trip to Manhattan, plans came together to begin work on opening the Center in Philly. A.J. relayed the good news to Keesha and Julianna.

"When will you be here?" Keesha asked excitedly when they spoke on the phone one Saturday evening.

"How does Monday sound?"

"Fantastic," she said, so ready to be with him again.

He felt the exact same way.

‘You’ll stay with us," Keesha insisted.

A.J. smiled into the phone. "I’d like that. A lot."

When Keesha told Julianna the news, she beamed. She hadn’t realized how much she would miss seeing her father every day. Even though they communicated frequently, it wasn’t the same as having him with them. She knew her mother felt the same way.

The first few weeks back in Philadelphia had turned out to be an awkward time for Julianna, but her friend Shelly’s parents reconciling and vowing to give their marriage another chance helped tremendously. Julianna saw the perkiness in her best friend that had been absent, and even though she missed Michael something fierce, she was grateful to have Shelly to confide in again and to do things with at school and after school.

A.J.’s move into Keesha’s home was fairly seamless. He marveled at how well she was recovering. She and their daughter were very happy he was with them again.

One evening, after dinner had been consumed and the dishes put into the dishwater, Keesha and A.J. sat alone on the comfy sofa in the living room, night just beginning to fall. Julianna had gone to Shelly’s house to study for a test.

"You know, sweetheart," A.J. began, "we have some unfinished business."

"We do?" she asked, gingerly turning to look at him directly.

She still had to be careful how she navigated her body.

"Yes," he said, reaching for her left hand and gently rubbing her ring finger with the pads of his warm fingers.

"What is it?" she asked, a smile beginning to form on her soft lips as she watched A.J. expertly massaged her hand.

"This finger," he said, capturing it and bringing it to his lips for a kiss, "needs a ring on it. A beautiful diamond ring. Now that I’m here, let’s go shopping."

"I’d love to," Keesha said and then moved closer so he could ravish her lips instead of her finger.

A.J. gladly obliged.

*~*

That weekend, Keesha and A.J. bought her engagement ring, a three carat three-diamond gold wedding set that symbolized her past, present and future. They purchased a matching wedding band for A.J. That night, Keesha, Julianna, and A.J. went to dinner at one of Philadelphia’s finest Italian restaurants to celebrate. Keesha couldn’t stop staring at her ring; Julianna thought it was the most gorgeous piece of jewelry she had ever seen. Except for her friendship ring from Michael which she absolutely cherished and never removed.

"Have you set a date?" Julianna asked her parents.

"No," Keesha said. "We decided to wait until Dr. Williams gives me total clearance to resume all activities. I want to do this right."

A.J. reached across the table to hold his intended’s hand in his. "Soon, Keesha, we will be able to make all the plans we want. Which, by the way, brings me to something I’ve been meaning to ask you."

"What’s that?" Keesha asked.

"Have you given any thought to becoming an employee when the Center opens? We can always use great counselors, which I know you will be from your days as a social worker at GH, and with your medical background, you would be a natural in that type of environment."

"Mama, that would be awesome, wouldn’t it?"

Keesha admitted she hadn’t given it any thought but once her fiancé posed the question, she began to think it was a wonderful idea.

"I’ll think about it," she said aloud, "but I have to admit it sounds interesting. I guess I’ll see what Dr. Williams has to say when I see him."

At her next appointment, Dr. Williams gave her clearance to resume some activities but not all. Somewhat discouraged, she told A.J. the news.

"That’s all right, sweetheart. We need to follow your doctor’s orders."

"I know," she said, gazing adoringly at her engagement ring and then at A.J., "but I don’t want to wait until he says I’m okay to make any kind of plans. Let’s set a wedding date. If I’m really not close to being one hundred percent, then I’ll think about rescheduling, but I honestly want to move forward with our lives. You have been so patient…"

"Because you are most definitely worth waiting for. I love you, Keesha, and that is never going to change."

"I love you, too," she said, caressing his cheek with the palm of her hand, "and that’s why I want to move forward. Please? Do this for me?"

A.J. inched his mouth closer to hers and captured her pliant lips in a kiss that soon had them aching for each other.

"When you ask like that," he said, smiling as he held her in his arms after the kiss had ended, "how can I deny you anything?"

So after talking it over with their daughter, who was in total agreement, a wedding date was set for November 22, 2014.

"I have another request," Keesha said, her voice timid.

"What’s that?" A.J. asked, noting her sudden shyness.

"Would you be agreeable if we were to marry at the mansion?"

A.J. studied her face and her demeanor. "Is that what you really want?" he asked, needing to know the truth. "It doesn’t matter to me, Keesha, but I don’t want you to do anything you don’t feel in your heart is right. This is your wedding, darling. I want things to be the way you want them."

"This is what I want," she assured him. "You survived and thrived in your return to Port Charles. It was a triumph for you, baby. You’re on good terms with your parents. I think it would please them to have our wedding in their home, and it would make me very happy, too, because it was the dream I had when I thought we might marry when we got back together the last time. Don’t laugh at me, okay?"

"Never," he said, but there was a gleam in his twinkling hazel eyes.

"Okay, then, I won’t tell you."

"I’m sorry. Tell me, Keesha. I want to know."

"Like I said, don’t laugh, but I’ve had visions of walking down that spiral staircase and seeing you waiting for me. I’d love to be married in your family home, A.J."

A.J. nodded in understanding. "Then that is where our wedding will be. Let’s call my parents. I’m sure, like you said, they will be honored."

And they were. So the plans for a late autumn/early winter wedding began in earnest.

*~*

The day before their wedding date was A.J.’s birthday, but Keesha also received a most welcome gift. Dr. Williams said he wanted to examine her before her wedding day to make sure the excitement and the stress weren’t too much for her. He also wanted to do his best to give her full clearance.

"I have good news," he told Keesha and A.J. as they sat in his private office.

"Everything is one hundred percent normal," he said and smiled. "If you feel fine…"

"I do," Keesha assured him. "I really do. I’m taking my medication, and I’m following your instructions to the letter."

"I can see that from the test results. The news and the prognosis are excellent. I’m pleased to tell you that you may enjoy everything about your wedding day tomorrow, especially the wedding night and the honeymoon."

He winked knowingly. A.J. and Keesha shared a laugh.

"We most definitely will," the groom-to-be told him.

*~*

"This is really happening," Keesha said to A.J. when they returned home. "By this time tomorrow, you and I will be husband and wife, and we’ll be able to celebrate in the best way possible." She threw her arms around him and hugged him close. "I love you so much, darling. I can’t wait to be your wife."

"I can’t wait until we are married," he said, finally allowing his mind to think about their wedding night and how truly special it would be.

*~*

As soon as Julianna arrived home from school, the trio packed up and headed for Port Charles. They arrived early enough in the evening to have a celebratory dinner at the Grille, just the three of them, before they headed to the mansion.

After dinner had been eaten, the waiter brought a small cake that Keesha and Julianna had ordered. The waiter lit the candle and after they sang "Happy Birthday" to him, they told him to make a wish and blow out the candle.

A.J. wished for continued good health for Keesha because he knew that’s where all this had begun. He wanted his fiancée to be healthy and happy.

After Keesha cut and served the cake, she and Julianna placed their wrapped gifts on the table for A.J. to open.

"All this and gifts, too?! You two are spoiling me."

Keesha thought about it for a moment. "It’s okay," she said and gave him a saucy grin. "You’re worth it."

"Most definitely," Julianna agreed. "Daddy, do you realize this is the first birthday I’ve celebrated with you? Mama and I wanted it to be special. For you."

"I do realize that," he said, giving his daughter’s hand a loving squeeze.

He included Keesha and Julianna in his next sentence. "And believe me when I tell you this couldn’t be any more special."

Keesha gave him a knowing smile as she squeezed his hand.

"Since we are celebrating a few milestones for the first time as a family in the next few weeks," Keesha told her daughter, "your father and I have decided to postpone our honeymoon until after the new year."

"Are you sure you want to do that?" Julianna asked. "Don’t you want to take a romantic trip somewhere to be alone?"

A.J. and Keesha shared a smile.

"We want nothing more than to do that, believe me," Keesha said, "but we have our first Thanksgiving next week and we have your Sweet Sixteen party to plan."

"That’s right," A.J. concurred. "We’re going to stay here next week to spend Thanksgiving with the family and to make sure the plans are on track for your party."

"You still want to have it at the PC Hotel, right?"

Julianna nodded. "You guys are the best. Thank you. But you are going to be alone on your wedding night, right?"

Her parents laughed outright as they gazed at each other.

"Oh, we are definitely going to be alone, all alone, on our wedding night," A.J. informed his daughter. "In fact, we may go into hiding for a few days to have some semblance of a honeymoon. You may not see us until Thanksgiving, but we’ll be there for the turkey…or rather the pizza. Actually, I just realized I have no idea what my parents eat on Thanksgiving. Do you think they ever actually had a turkey?"

"No," Keesha said and laughed.

At Julianna’s puzzled look, her father chuckled.

"It’s a long story, baby girl. But we will definitely fill you in when the time is right."

"Speaking of time," Keesha said, "honey, you need to open your gifts."

"Of course."

He opened Keesha’s gift first and his eyes lit up when he saw the handsome eighteen carat gold cufflinks with a diamond stud in the middle.

"Keesha, thank you so much. I will wear them with pride."

"As part of your wedding tux tomorrow?" she asked hopefully.

A.J. gave her a chaste kiss in front of their daughter. "Absolutely. My tux won’t be complete until I am wearing these."

Keesha smiled her appreciation.

Reaching for his daughter’s brightly wrapped gift, A.J. opened it and was almost rendered speechless.

"A recording?" he asked, carefully removing the CD from the box. "For me?"

Julianna nodded happily. "Yes. When you and I began to get close, I started writing things in a notebook that I wanted to remember. About you. And me. Those words, thoughts, ideas--whatever you want to call them evolved into a song that I wanted to compose and sing for you. I recorded it at L&B before we left Port Charles. I hope you like it."

"Julianna, sweetheart, I guarantee you I will love it. This is something I will treasure always. Thank you so very much. I can’t wait to hear it."

"You’re welcome, Dad. I love you so much. I just want you and Mama to be happy. Ecstatically and totally happy."

A.J. and Keesha reached to hold hands.

"We’re going to do our best," Keesha assured their daughter. "You don’t need to worry about that."

A.J. opened the CD case so he could look inside. On the jacket, Julianna had written: "My Father and Me"

Composed and Sung By: Julianna Mae Ward Quartermaine

Happy Birthday, Daddy! I love you with all my heart. I’m proud to be your daughter. Love always and forever, Julianna.

"I’m proud to have you as my daughter," A.J. assured the young girl. "I will never forget this birthday. Thank you so much."

As they headed for the mansion, A.J. realized he couldn’t have asked for a better birthday. It was one that in the coming years he knew he would look upon with fondness. He only hoped there were many more treasured moments to come. For all three of them.

*~*

Alan and Monica greeted their son and his family with hugs and kisses as soon as they entered the mansion. They also wished him a very Happy Birthday.

"Look around," Monica said to the trio. "Make sure everything looks fine for tomorrow. We can’t wait for your wedding."

The living room had been totally rearranged to accommodate the guests and set up in a way where everyone would be able to see Keesha as she descended the stairs and headed towards her groom.

"Mama, this is going to be beautiful," Julianna said her eyes wide with excitement.

"I think you’re right. Thank you so much," she said to Alan and Monica.

"Thank you," Monica said, enveloping her soon-to-be daughter-in-law in a loving hug. "We couldn’t be happier for you and A.J. Be well, Keesha. And enjoy your life together to the fullest."

Keesha looked at A.J. "We plan to do exactly that."

After checking out the formal dining room and adjacent room to see that they had been set up to hold the reception, Keesha admitted she was tired.

"Of course," Alan said. "You and Julianna have rooms in the east wing. Make yourselves at home."

"What about me?" A.J. asked.

"You, my dearest son, will spend the night in the Gatehouse."

"You’re kidding, right?"

"No, I’m not," Alan insisted. "Unless you’d rather spend the night in the pool house or the PC Hotel. We can reserve a room for you, you know."

A.J. shook his head but had to smile. "The Gatehouse, huh? I guess that won’t be so bad."

"You are not to see your bride until the wedding," Monica informed her son.

"Okay, okay. May we have a few minutes alone before you separate us for the night?"

"Of course. We’ll show Julianna to her room."

After their daughter hugged them goodnight, she followed her grandparents up the stairs. A.J. and Keesha waited until they disappeared from their view before they spoke.

"Well, I guess this means we are definitely waiting until our wedding night to be together," A.J. said, holding her hands in his.

"I could sneak into the Gatehouse," Keesha said and gave him a wicked grin.

"You’d better not," A.J. scolded. "I’m sure my parents will have guards on watch or traps set."

Keesha laughed and then her expression turned serious. "I can’t wait to be with you again, darling."

"I can’t either. This is going to be the longest night of my life!"

Keesha nodded. "I think you’re right."

"I love you so much," A.J. said, framing her face with his hands. "Sometimes, I still can’t believe this is actually happening."

"I know," she said, her voice soft and sultry as she leaned in closer. "I feel the same way. But we are going to be married, A.J. In front of all of our friends and family. It’s going to be wonderful and absolutely perfect."

"I agree," he said and then silenced any further words with a kiss that sent them both reeling.

"I—I’d better say goodnight," Keesha said when the fiery union of their lips and tongues finally ended. "I don’t want your parents to have to send you to the hotel. It’s bad enough you’re going to be so far away from the main house."

"But this will be the last time," he assured his bride-to-be, "that we will ever be apart. I plan to make damn sure of that."

Keesha smiled and caressed his cheeks with the palms of her hands. "I like the sound of that, Mr. Quartermaine. Oh yes, I do."

"I love you."

"I love you, too. Goodnight, my love."

A.J. watched as Keesha ascended the stairs and realized in mere hours, she would be walking down those same stairs, ready to become his wife. What a glorious day that will be.

*~*

In no hurry to go to the Gatehouse because he knew sleep would elude him, A.J. lingered in the living room, taking a moment to reflect on his life. He could recall, with vivid clarity, so many conversations and arguments and tender moments that had taken place in this particular room.

As he thought about the guests, mostly residents of Port Charles but friends and employees, too, who would be occupying the chairs set up for the wedding, he realized he had done all right for himself and that being able to spend the rest of his life with Keesha and being in his daughter’s life were the two things he would always treasure, regardless of anything else the future may hold. He had the family he had always dreamed of and no one could take that away from him. No one.

"May we come in?"

He turned at the sound of his mother’s voice and nodded. Alan spoke first.

"We just wanted to tell you how proud we are of you, A.J., and how happy we are that you and Keesha are getting married. Julianna gets lovelier each time we see her. We realize how long it’s taken you to get here and how much hard work you had to do."

"Getting to this moment has taken my whole life," A.J. told them honestly. "But I couldn’t be happier. I’m grateful you’re happy for me. I know that hasn’t always been the case."

"You’ve made the right choice, my darling son," Monica told him. "And you have done this the right way."

"For the first time in my life, right?"

When A.J. would have gone on the defensive, his father stopped him.

"All that matters is that you are happy. We’ve all made mistakes, son. But you have come a long way. We finally recognize and accept that."

"Thank you," A.J. said, inclining his head towards both parents. "That means a lot to me."

Alan and Monica looked at each other and smiled.

"We have something for you," she said. "I guess you could call it a combination birthday/wedding present."

Alan handed the neatly wrapped box to his son.

"Thank you," A.J. said, unwrapping the paper and then removing the lid.

He pulled back the tissue and saw a silver-plated 8x10 photo frame. He lifted it and held it in his hand.

"It’s beautiful. Thank you very much."

"We know there will be a special wedding photo of you and your lovely bride that you’ll want to have framed," his mother said and smiled.

"And placed on that desk of yours in Philadelphia when your newest Center opens," Alan added. "We’re so proud of you, son."

A.J. set down the box and the frame and hugged first his mother and then his father.

"I love you," he told them both.

The words were simple, but he had never meant them more than he did at that moment. He knew his parents felt the same way.

*~*

Still wide awake, Keesha heard the soft knock on her door and told whoever it was to enter. She was not surprised to see her daughter.

"You can’t sleep either," she said to Julianna, and then patted her mattress for her to take a seat.

"I think I can, but I just wanted to talk with you. Alone. Before the wedding."

"Of course. What’s on your mind?"

"You. I know you know this, but I just really needed to tell you how much I love you and how happy I am for you. And Daddy. There was a time when I would have never wanted to see this happen, and now, I can’t imagine the two of you not being together. It’s just so weird."

Keesha smiled and clasped her daughter’s hand in hers. "It’s not weird, sweetheart. It’s life. It’s the journey we end up taking, whether we planned it or not. You’ve had a lot of that in your young life, and you’ll experience more as you go on."

"You’ve been so good to me, Mama. You’re the absolute best. I couldn’t ask for a better mother. I love you so much. I’m glad you and Dad found each other again. I can see how happy you make him. He loves you so much, Mama. I didn’t think that was possible."

"We’ve fallen in love again. And this has been the most joyous time of my life. I love your father with everything I am, baby girl, and I am sooo ready to share the rest of my life with him. I can’t wait to say ‘I do’."

"You are going to be the most beautiful bride ever. I can’t wait to see you descend that staircase. And I’ve never seen Dad in a tux. This is all going to be so unforgettable."

"I agree," Keesha said, her eyes shining. "What about you? You must be excited to see Michael again?"

Julianna’s eyes automatically traveled to her ring. "Yes, Mama. I can’t wait to see him. I hope you and Daddy won’t be upset with us, but we plan to dance to every song. Just the two of us."

Keesha laughed. "That sounds nice, sweetheart, but the reality is, you will dance with other people, your father and grandfather for instance. And Justus. And maybe Michael will want to dance with me."

"So those are more of the plans you were talking about, huh?" she asked and then smiled. "Okay. I guess we won’t be together for every dance."

"Just enjoy yourself, my darling daughter. The rest will take care of itself."

Mother and daughter shared a loving embrace.

"Get some sleep, Mama. I love you so much."

"I love you, too. I’ll see you in the morning. You get some sleep, too."

As Keesha turned out the light, she realized this would be the last night she would be sleeping alone in her bed. Beginning tomorrow night, she would have her husband’s loving arms around her to keep her safe and warm. That comforting thought finally allowed her to drift off into a dreamless sleep.

 

Epilogue - Part 1 by pinkrose

Epilogue - Part 1

 

With soft music playing in the background early in the afternoon the next day, the guests began to assemble in the living room, which had been decorated with beautiful bouquets of flowers and tapered candles lit throughout the room.

 

As bridesmaids dressed in burgundy, Dara, Skye, Emily and Julianna signaled they were ready.  After a few moments to make sure the guests were seated, Emily entered the living room from the foyer, followed by Skye, Dara, and then Julianna, as the maid of honor.  A.J. thought his daughter had never looked more beautiful, as did all the women Keesha had chosen to be in her wedding. 

 

Julianna thought her father had never looked more handsome than he did wearing his black tuxedo, with the cufflinks her mother had given him adorning the sleeves of his white shirt.  She smiled to herself when she saw how proud her grandfather looked standing next to his first-born son as his best man.

 

Sitting in the audience, Michael couldn’t take his eyes off of Julianna.  She looked like a vision in the full-length dark-colored gown that fit her perfectly.

 

A few moments later, the “Wedding March” began to play.  The guests rose and all eyes turned to the staircase where Keesha stood at the top landing, looking absolutely stunning in a floor-length champagne-colored wedding gown, with tiny pearls lining the bodice and the long sleeves.  Her matching color veil framed her curly jet black locks perfectly.  She held a bouquet of pink roses and baby’s breath and after smiling at Justus, who beamed as he waited for her at the bottom of the staircase, she slowly began to descend the stairs, looking every bit as regal as she felt.

 

Halfway down, her eyes met and held A.J.’s, who smiled and nodded encouragingly that she was doing fine, and she knew she had never been happier.  She couldn’t wait to be by his side to exchange sacred vows and rings.  Everything was perfect.

 

Once Keesha reached her groom, she knew this was really happening, and she couldn’t contain her happiness.  She knew it showed on her face, and she didn’t care.  She would be spending the rest of her life with the man she loved.  With all of her heart.  One look into his hazel eyes told her he felt the exact same way.  And he did.

 

When they joined hands to recite their vows, they both knew this would be one of the most important moments in their lives.

 

After they slipped the matching gold bands onto each other’s fingers, A.J. told the minister he had something he needed to say to his bride.

 

Keesha gazed at him with love in her sable eyes that shone so brightly as she waited to hear what her beloved had to say.

 

“Keesha, almost everyone in this room,” he began, gently massaging her fingers with the pads of his, “knows that I have worn two previous wedding rings and that I had never been so miserable in my entire life.  You were out there, Keesha, raising our daughter to be the kind and loving person she is today while I was wallowing in self-pity and drinking myself into the gutter.  Literally.  When I finally got my act together, I was in a much better place, but I knew I still wasn’t complete.  Your letter, Keesha, asking me to come see you is what truly changed my life.  Meeting and getting to know our daughter and being loved by both of you is what has made my life complete.

 

“Yes, Keesha, I have worn a wedding ring before, but only now, because of you, do I understand and truly appreciate what it means to be a husband and a father.  I adore you, Keesha Ward Quartermaine, and I will spend the remainder of my life showing you and telling you just how much you mean to me.  Thank you for giving me this chance, my darling wife, and for loving me.”

 

“Thank you, baby,” Keesha said, her eyes glistening with tears of happiness.  “I love you so much.  And I need you, A.J.  I need the man you are today to be in my life.  Forever and always.  We’ll always be together.  Remember our daughter’s words:  we were so meant to be.”

 

“I love you, Keesha.  So much.”

 

After the minister pronounced them husband and wife, A.J. took an emotional but ecstatic Keesha into his strong arms where they shared a passionate lingering kiss, not caring who was watching them.  The guests applauded when they finally came up for air.

 

*~*

 

During the reception, Dara and Brooke Lynn finally coerced Julianna into singing with them in a tribute to her parents.  She and Michael spent as much time alone as they could.

 

“I’ll be staying here all week,” she told him.  “Let’s plan to see each other a lot while I’m here.”

 

“Sounds good to me,” he said, right before Lesley Lu came by and grabbed his hand for a dance.

 

Julianna laughed at his forlorn look at being taken away from her.  She was sure her parents had something to do with it.  They had not been able to spend as much time together as they would have liked, but she knew, someday, they would be together.  And no one would be able to stand in their way.

 

*~*

 

Ready to leave the reception to begin their wedding night, Keesha threw her bouquet high into the air towards all the single ladies who had gathered.  Serena Baldwin caught it and on Christmas Day, 2014, Lucas Jones proposed to her.  The following October they were married.

 

*~*

 

Amid good wishes and cheers, Reginald drove Keesha and A.J. to the Quartermaine cabin where they would spend the next few days.  Alone.  They thought about staying at the Port Charles Hotel or even somewhere else close by, but when Alan mentioned the cabin, A.J. and Keesha knew that’s where they wanted to spend their time.

 

When they entered the cabin and turned on the lights, they realized a lot of prep work had gone into making this a special place for them.  Bouquets of flowers sat in various parts of the area, along with candles of all different sizes and shapes.  The cupboards and refrigerator had been stocked with food, and chopped wood and kindling had been placed inside the hearth with a ready supply sitting nearby.

 

“We owe some people heartfelt thanks,” Keesha said as she unbuttoned her coat.

 

“I agree.  Let me start the fire so we can warm up.”

 

While A.J. worked on starting the fire, Keesha took their bags into the spacious room.  After removing her coat, she noticed more flowers decorated the dresser, candles sat on either nightstand just waiting to be lit, and the blankets and comforter had been turned down, making the bed look so inviting and ready for them.  Keesha stared at the comfortable bed, knowing she was ready for her wedding night to begin.

 

She could feel the heat from the fire as soon as she returned to the rustic living room.

 

“This is so perfect,” she said, sitting on the throw rug near the fireplace where her husband was.  “What a wonderful wedding day we have had.”

 

“And just think,” he said, his hazel eyes twinkling as they reflected off the amber flames, “the best is yet to come.”

 

“I know,” she said, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him close for a kiss.  “I can’t wait.”

 

As the fire crackled, so did their kisses.  Growing warm from the heat that wasn’t all because of the nearby flames, husband and wife stood as one, their lips still locked together, and made their way to the couch where they could get more comfortable.

 

As they allowed their hands to roam and reacquaint themselves with each other’s bodies, the urgency to come together increased and soon Keesha found herself lying on her back with A.J. on top of her.  His hands had begun to raise her dress past her thighs and towards her waist while she began to lift his shirt out of his pants so she could run her fingers along his well-muscled back.

 

He trailed smooth hands along her shapely thighs and legs and when he began to nip and tease the soft pliant dark flesh of her inner thighs with his teeth, Keesha writhed in pleasure and pulled him closer.  Her insides were turning to jelly, and she knew soon she would be wet and begging for him to take her.  But she wanted their first time in sixteen years to be in their bed.

 

When A.J. finally slowed his movements, she asked him to let her sit up.

 

“I’m not hurting you, am I?” he immediately asked.

 

“No, sweetheart.  This all feels so wonderful.  But again, don’t laugh at me, but I want our first time as husband and wife to be in our bed.  I also want to change into something I bought especially for this occasion.”

 

“Of course,” A.J. said.  “Take all the time you need, sweetheart.”

 

“I won’t be long,” she said, already missing his touches and his kisses.  “Meet me in the bedroom.”

 

A.J. waited impatiently until he heard movement in the room and then he entered and stopped in his tracks when he saw how beautiful his wife looked dressed in a bright red negligee that accented her curves perfectly.

 

“Oh, Keesha.”

 

He could barely catch his breath.

 

“I take it you like?” she teased, seeing how he was already moistening his lips and that his eyes had become hooded.

 

“I love it.  You look beautiful.  Absolutely amazing.  Come here, my darling.”

 

She walked into his arms and let him hold her and caress her and kiss her while she ran her fingers through his hair and captured his lips in a pulsating kiss that had her tingling to her toes. 

 

“Make love to me, A.J.,” she finally said.

 

She felt as though she were going to burst; she knew he had to be feeling the same.

 

“With pleasure,” he said, leading her to the king-size mattress where she sat and immediately reached for his shirt to remove it.

 

Once it had been discarded, she allowed herself the opportunity to appreciate how he had kept himself in shape.  She knew his upper body strength was the result of a lot of hours spent at the gym.

 

“You look as magnificent as I remember,” she said.

 

She had no doubt his lower body would be just as magnificent as she remembered, too.  Not wanting to be kept waiting, she reached for his belt to unbuckle it.  He chuckled softly at how anxious she seemed and decided to make her wait.  Just a little bit longer.

 

He swiftly removed her hands and held them in his own as he pushed her back onto the bed and placed himself on top of her.  When she would have protested his action, he silenced her with kisses that had her almost forgetting her name.  He slowly began to move his mouth towards her throat and her neck, loving the feel of her satiny skin against his lips.  He trailed kisses until he reached the cut of her negligee and began to remove the thin straps from her shoulders so he could see and feel and taste more of her luscious skin. 

 

Keesha emitted a soft gasp of pleasure when A.J. finally exposed her full ebony breasts.  He took a moment just to admire their beauty before he began to fondle and caress one breast and then the other.  He then used his mouth and his tongue to tease and cajole the nipples into hardening while Keesha pulled his head closer so he could continue to pleasure her. 

 

Needing to see and feel more of her soft skin, he swiftly lowered the negligee until she was only half covered.  He rained kisses along her rib cage and her abdomen until he reached her scar.  He stopped and took a moment to lightly touch it.

 

“I try not to dwell on my scar,” she said.

 

“Is it okay that I touched it?” he asked.

 

“Of course.”

 

“I think it only adds to your beauty, my darling wife.”

 

“Well, it’s definitely the reason I’m here today and that we are together.  I try to think of it that way.”

 

“Makes sense to me.”

 

A.J. continued to nip, tease and kiss Keesha’s skin while she enjoyed every second of it.  She let out a gasp of excitement when she felt her husband completely remove her nightgown.

 

“I need to see all of you,” he told her and then allowed himself to feast on her beauty.

 

“I was trying to do that earlier to you but you stopped me,” she said, running her fingers along his bare tanned back.

 

“Patience, my darling wife,” he teased and then worked his way back to her breasts that were aching for his touch.

 

Keesha shifted on the mattress when A.J.’s hands began to massage her shoulders and her arms and then moved to her back.  She bit into the skin of his shoulder and dug her fingers into his back when his hands deftly removed her red lace panties and immediately cupped her well-shaped bottom.  She felt him kneading and squeezing her bare cheeks and then teasing the sensitive flesh by making circular motions with the warm pads of his fingers.  As he continued his excruciating delectable torture, she found herself clinging closer to him, needing the release that only he could provide. 

 

When his hands moved to her core, he smiled to himself when he felt how wet she already was.  Using his fingers to explore her clit, he brought her to the brink time and time again until she was begging him and reaching for his belt buckle again so she could free him from the remainder of his clothes.

 

“I need you inside of me, A.J.,” she cried.  “Now!”

 

He finally let her remove his pants and throw them onto the floor next to his shirt and her negligee.  Keesha reached for the waistband of his briefs, knowing they were the last barrier between them and the climax she so desperately craved.

 

She saw his bulge through the fabric and knew satisfaction wouldn’t be long in coming.  But she took her time lowering his briefs past his lean waist and hips, wanting to enjoy and experience the moment when she would see her husband in all his magnificent glory.  With her pulses throbbing and juices flowing, she let her eyes drink in the sight of his fully erect manhood.  When she reached out to stroke his thick shaft, A.J. shuddered and barely held on as he lowered himself so she could have easier access.  When he slipped his hands behind her shoulder blades to pull her closer, she arched to meet him halfway.  She placed her hands on his well-rounded bottom and used the leverage to move him closer to the center of her being. 

 

“Enter me, A.J.,” she nearly screamed in his ear.  “I need to feel you inside of me, baby.”

 

A.J. complied.  When he moved to her core which was throbbing and soaking wet, she immediately parted her legs wide, so ready to receive him.  He teased her a little bit more and when she cried out for sweet release, he entered her with a force that shook them both.  She grabbed onto him as desire for each other continued to build until it finally consumed them and soon they found their rhythm.  The thrusts became deeper and bolder until Keesha’s body finally shuddered as she came while digging her fingers into A.J.’s pliant backside flesh, which nearly sent him reeling.  He began to remember just how enticing his lover’s touch could be.  His release came soon after, and then they both lay on the bed, their breathing labored and their hearts beating wildly but both feeling oh so very satisfied.

 

After taking time to savor being together and having come together as one, the touching and the kissing began again in earnest and before either of them knew it, their second round of lovemaking had begun.  Still getting used to each other’s moves and likes and pleasures, they took their time, knowing they had all night and the next few days to make sure they made up for sixteen years of not being together.

 

*~*

 

Late that night, exhausted but satiated for the moment and having taken the time to freshen up and eat a light meal, they sat by the fire, enjoying the warmth and each other’s company.

 

“I have something for you, Mrs. Quartermaine,” A.J. said with a wide grin.

 

“You do?  Are you going to tease me again that it’s a present but not a present?”

 

She laughed when he shook his head at her.  “What am I going to do with my saucy wife?”

 

“You’re going to love me, my darling.  And don’t you forget that.”

 

“Yes, ma’am,” he said and gave her a mock salute.

 

“That’s better,” she said and laughed.  “Now what do you have for me?”

 

“Just this,” he said, handing her a wrapped square box that he had earlier hidden behind the chopped wood.

 

Keesha smiled as she carefully unwrapped the present.  Her smile grew wider when she saw the gray velvet jewelry box.

 

“What did you do, Mr. Quartermaine?”

 

“Open and see,” he encouraged, loving how appreciative and excited she was whenever she received a gift from him and knowing this would not be the last present he bestowed upon her.

 

If he had his way, he would shower her with gifts every day, but he knew that wasn’t what she would want.  But he wanted to give her this special wedding gift.

 

She slowly cracked open the top of the case and gasped with awe and pleasure when her eyes beheld the gorgeous diamond necklace and matching earrings twinkling at her.

 

“Oh, A.J.  This is too much.  These are so beautiful, so exquisite.  Oh my.  I love them so much.  Thank you, darling.  Thank you so much!”

 

A.J. laughed as she tried to contain her pleasure at receiving such a stunning gift, but she couldn’t.  She had to try them on.  She just had to.  Her husband told her he understood and clasped the necklace for her.  She rushed to the mirror in the bedroom where she replaced her pearl stud earrings with the diamond teardrops.  She truly felt like royalty even though she wore an old pair of jeans and a comfy sweatshirt. 

 

A few moments later, her husband entered the room and stood behind as she admired her gift in the mirror.  He wrapped his arms around her small waist and rested his chin on her left shoulder.

 

“They were meant for you, my darling wife.  You definitely wear diamonds well.”

 

She turned so she could face him and kiss him and thank him for the loveliest gift she had ever received.  Well, aside from him giving himself to her, she amended.

 

When A.J. would have led her to the bed once more, she stopped him.

 

“Just for a minute.  I have something I want to give to you.”

 

“You’ve already given me everything I need,” he told her honestly.

 

“I think, at least I hope, you’ll like this.”

 

From her bag in the closet, she pulled out a neatly wrapped gift and handed it to him as he took a seat on the mattress.

 

“What could you have done, Mrs. Quartermaine?” he asked, his eyes twinkling with delight.

 

“Open it and find out, Mr. Quartermaine.”

 

He laughed at her feistiness.  She loved that she could totally be herself with him.

 

“Okay, I will,” he said and tore into the wrapping while she shook her head at his messiness.

 

He removed the lid from the box and when he pulled back the tissue, his eyes lit up with surprise and pleasure.

 

“You little tease,” he said, removing the framed photograph so he could look at it more closely.

 

Keesha laughed outright as she threw the box onto the bed and settled herself on his lap.

 

“You were so gullible,” she said, trailing the pad of her tapered index finger along his cheek.

 

A few weeks ago, he, Keesha and Julianna had posed for a family portrait, but Keesha had told him the photographer called and told her something had been wrong with his camera, and the photos didn’t turn out.  A.J. was disappointed but said they would take another family portrait some other time.

 

“I believed you,” he said and laughed.  “Honey, this is such a nice surprise and a wonderful gift.  Thank you so much.  I’m actually relieved we don’t have to go through another sitting.  But it would have been worth it,” he quickly added when she looked ready to chastise him, “so I could have this beautiful photo.”

 

“I think it turned out rather well,” she said, looking at it with him.

 

“It did.  This will sit nicely on my desk, along with a present I received from my parents.”

 

“What did they give you?”

 

“They gave me a silver frame, knowing that I would want to have our wedding photo on my desk in Philadelphia.  Those two pictures will help me get through anything.”

 

“Looks like we’ll probably have matching photos on our desks, then, unless I choose a different wedding pose.”

 

A.J. looked at his wife and smiled.  “Does that mean what I think it means?”

 

“What do you think it means?” she asked and smiled.

 

“You’ve decided to work at the Center?”

 

“Yes, sweetheart.  I’ve decided your Center would be a great place for me to work.”

 

“This is wonderful,” he said, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer once he had returned the frame safely to its box.  “We are going to do such great work together.”

 

“I agree.  I can’t think of any place else I’d rather be and who better to help than my very own husband.  I think it’s going to be a very rewarding experience.  I can’t wait.”

 

“I couldn’t agree more,” he said and then ended any further conversation with a searing kiss that set the tone for the remainder of their wedding night and the next three days as they hid themselves from the world and made passionate love to each other in almost every room in the cabin.

 

They both knew how fortunate they were and they vowed before they left the cabin to return to civilization that they would never, ever take life and each other for granted.  And they knew they had a lifetime together to keep that promise.  

 

Epilogue - Part 2 by pinkrose

Epilogue – Part 2

 

Julianna loved her Sweet Sixteen party.  The fact that all her family and friends were in attendance made the occasion that much more special.  Unlike at her parents’ wedding reception, Julianna and Michael shared almost every dance together.  Michael showed a bit of jealousy when one of Julianna’s athletic-looking schoolmates cut in, and Julianna reluctantly held her tongue when Shelly cut in on them, even though she was pleased her friend had seemed to have gotten her life back on track.  Frank and Diego were nowhere to be found. 

 

*~*

 

Julianna continued to excel in school, and in early June 2016, she graduated from high school.  Many people from Port Charles came to Philadelphia, including Michael, who had just completed his first year at Port Charles University.  Julianna had attended his graduation the prior year, and that’s when she announced to her parents and relatives her plans to attend PCU too.  Michael had decided to gear his studies towards psychology; Julianna planned to continue her goal to work with children. 

 

When Michael and Julianna were alone, after her graduation party at a nearby hotel, he presented her with another wrapped ring box.

 

“This is to replace the friendship ring,” he told her as she excitedly opened the gift.

 

Tears filled her eyes when she saw the sparkling solitaire diamond ring set in gold.

 

“Oh, Michael,” she said when she could finally speak.

 

He carefully removed it from the box and held it up for her inspection.  He took her trembling left hand in his and gazed into her soulful and compassionate hazel eyes.

 

“Julianna, I know we’re young, and I know we have our whole lives ahead of us.  I’ve thought about this and thought about this, and nothing has changed for me.  I love you with everything I am.  We don’t have to do it right away, but darling, will you marry me?”

 

“Yes, oh, yes, Michael!  Definitely yes!!”

 

She cried happy tears as he slipped the ring onto the third finger of her left hand.  She admired it for a few moments, telling herself this was really happening, and then she threw herself into his strong arms and hugged him so tightly he thought she might break his ribs.

 

“I love you so much,” she told him over and over.

 

“I love you, too, baby.  And I know I always will.”

 

Keesha, A.J., Tony and Bobbie were surprised at the engagement but were also happy for the young couple. Knowing they didn't plan to rush into marriage helped ease some of their concerns.

 

*~*

After Michael earned his Bachelor's Degree, he interned at the Port Charles Center while he continued to study for his Master's Degree. When Julianna graduated, she went to work at a day care. She soon realized she would rather run her own center. She used some of the money from the trust fund her great-grandfather had set up for her to start her own business. With so many residents in Port Charles having babies, the need was there. Julianna was determined to fill it. Running her own business also allowed her to work on her music writing career. She had sold several songs to L&B records. She couldn't have been happier or more satisfied with the way her life was going.

 

*~*

On March 10, 2020, Julianna and Michael married at the Quartermaine mansion. It seemed fitting to have the wedding and the reception there. Keesha was the lovely matron of honor. Dara, Brooke Lynn, Lesley Lu, Emily, Gia, Bobbie and Skye were bridesmaids. Tony and Lucas were Michael's best men. Brianna, Brian, Kristina, Sonya, Nikolas, Jr., Matthew and Veronica were candle lighters and readers. Dara and Brooke Lynn took turns singing. Ned sang a romantic duet with his daughter. Everyone in attendance knew just how proud A.J. was of Julianna. No one believed his feet touched the ground as he walked his beautiful daughter, dressed in a long white satin dress with a beaded bodice, and a veil that covered her face, down the aisle towards the man who was about to make her his wife.

The evening ceremony was simple yet elegant. The lit candles gave the room a special glow. Michael and Julianna only had eyes for each other. When the reverend pronounced them husband and wife, Julianna had never been happier.

 

When the groom inclined his head to kiss his wife at the reverend’s instruction, she knew she had married the man of her dreams.  He’s come so far, she thought, as she savored his lips on hers, and she knew she wanted to be by his side as they experienced whatever life had in store for them.

"I love you so much," Michael said, wiping a tear from her cheek as they remained in the aisle.  "Thank you for being in my life."

"Thank you," she said, gazing into his eyes. "Thank you, Michael, for loving me the way you do."


*~*
 

Having taken a liking for winter sports, they honeymooned in the Swiss Alps.  Their suite overlooked the snowcapped mountains.

 

“This is perfect,” Julianna said.

 

“I agree,” Michael said and pulled his wife into his arms for a slow wet lingering kiss.

 

They soon found themselves on the four-poster bed.  They had consummated their relationship soon after her high school graduation, but Julianna still wanted their wedding night to be special.

 

“I’ll be right back,” she said. 

 

“I’ll be here,” Michael said, running his finger along the comforter as he lay on his side, waiting for his bride to return.

 

And return she did, wearing a deep purple baby doll outfit that nearly sucked the breath out of her husband.  Julianna had turned into a woman right before his eyes.  Her luscious curves and shapely long legs enticed him while her full breasts nearly spilled out from the low cut top. 

 

“Come here,” he said, ready to take her right then and there.

 

She laughed as she sashayed towards him and then stopped and then moved again, making him that much hungrier with need and desire.

 

“You are absolutely breathtaking,” he told her when he finally had her next to him on the mattress.

 

“I want this night to be special.  I know we’ve made love before, but not as husband and wife.  I want to remember every detail.”

 

“And so you shall.”

 

With that said Michael placed himself on top of his wife and captured her mouth with his.  Soon their tongues were meeting and dancing while they both ran their fingers along each other’s backs and arms.  Julianna was the first to remove a piece of clothing.  She discarded Michael’s shirt so she could feast her eyes on his well-built upper torso.  She ran the warm palms of her hands along his bare chest while he continued to tease and cajole her mouth, her throat, her neck and her shoulders.

 

He expertly moved his hands to lift the hem of her lace top to reveal her toned belly and abdomen.  Her mocha skin felt satiny against his smooth hands.  He couldn’t get enough of the feel of her smooth skin and soon had raised the top so he could see all of her, including her luscious pert breasts that seemed to be calling his name. 

 

He moved his mouth to suck on one breast and then the other.  With his hands, he fondled and squeezed and brought her dark nipples to harden within the palms of his hands.  Julianna stretched out further on the bed, already wet and needing release.  Her core pulsated from her husband’s delectable movements and when she felt him reach inside for the waistband of her outfit, she emitted a soft cry of pleasure as she automatically parted her shapely legs.

 

Michael teased and nibbled and ran the pads of his fingers all across her soft dark flesh.  Her legs trembled at his touch and his pecks.  He mercilessly teased her inner thighs and when he finally lowered her lace panties, he saw that she was soaking wet. 

 

She writhed and arched when she felt his fingers deftly sliding inside her clit.  So ready to come she nearly screamed for sweet release, but just when she thought he would grant her what she so desperately craved, he removed his fingers and instead rolled her over so she was lying on her stomach.

 

With her belly on fire and her insides clamoring for what only he could give her, he began to slide his tongue across the soft flesh of her bare bottom and hips and then nip at the pliant flesh.  She grabbed the sheets to keep from crying out as she shuddered with pleasure.  She wanted to feel his every move, his every touch.  She loved the way he took his time to please her.  She couldn’t wait until it was her turn to tease and tantalize him.  He knew what she liked and how she liked it.  She knew the same about him.  Her flesh practically molded to his hands as he ran his fingers along the sensitive skin of her curves and the flare of her cheeks as they responded to his touch.

 

“Michael,” she practically groaned, not sure how much more delicious punishment her body could take.  “Baby, I need to feel you inside of me.  Soon.  Very soon.”

 

His hands roaming across the back of her caused her to shiver with anticipation and excitement.  She knew once he moved upward towards her shoulder blades, he would roll her over and see how ready she was to receive him.

 

And he did exactly that.

 

They removed the remaining clothing barriers until all that was left were Michael’s briefs.  His manhood throbbed painfully against the fabric.  With a smile on her face and a glint in her eyes that Michael had come to enjoy, she pulled him closer and then reached for the waistband.  With her fingers resting against the skin of his waist, she waited until he began to squirm from the hotness of her touch.

 

“Julianna...” he ground out.

 

And then she knew what she needed to do.

 

With fingers as deft as his had been she slowly pulled down his briefs, her insides on fire at the thought of seeing her husband fully erect and waiting to enter her.  She was not disappointed.  When she would have reached out to touch him, he pulled away slightly and instead used his fingers to make her even more ready to receive him.  She twisted and turned on the already wrinkled satin sheets and moaned softly with pleasure as he drove her to near madness with his warm fingers adding to the hotness she was already experiencing.   

 

When he knew she couldn’t take another moment of sweet torture, he placed his hands behind her back and drew her closer so she could feel his throbbing shaft against her wet center.

 

She bit her lip to keep from crying out as he worked his way in slowly, ever so slowly, making her desperate to feel him fully inside of her.  When he couldn’t hold back any longer, he entered her and she immediately felt her insides explode. 

 

She cried out his name as he rocked her and held her by her hips as they found their rhythm.  She grabbed his bare bottom and held on tight to his flesh as her core throbbed with the pleasure he was providing her and when he deepened the thrusts and the urgency, she finally came with a cry that shook both of them and the bed.

 

Michael’s completion came soon after and then he lay on top of her but remained inside, not ready to remove himself from her very being.

 

“I love you so much,” she said, wiping the sweat from his face as she pushed his damp hair away from his forehead.

 

“I love you, too, my precious, Jule,” he said, knowing this was the beginning of a whole new way of life for him.

 

Sane and happy and so very much in love.

 

*~*

During a small lull in their honeymoon activities, Michael couldn't help but wonder about Jason.

"Do you think he's still here?" he asked his wife.

She shrugged. "I don't know. Do you want to contact him?"

"I'd like closure. I feel I have that now with my mom and Sonny, but Jason still crosses my mind."

After looking into it, they found out he lived in a chalet not too far from where they were staying. They decided to visit him and discovered he was living there with Brenda. Looking healthier and seeming to have a better attitude, he welcomed them into his home and introduced them to Brenda, who immediately noticed Julianna's beautiful rings.

"You're married!" Brenda exclaimed.

Julianna and Michael couldn't keep the smiles from their faces.

"Yes," he said. "We're on our honeymoon."

"You crazy kids," Jason said. "You're here on your honeymoon, and you come to see me?"

"I need closure," Michael said. "I need to close the book on this chapter of my life, so I can begin my new life with Julianna by my side."

"And I wanted a second chance for you to make a better impression on me," Julianna added, only half kidding.

"Jason wanted to contact you, Michael, he did," Brenda explained. "But he figured you wouldn't have wanted to hear from him."

"I wanted...I wanted to apologize for how I acted at the hospital," Jason said. "You didn't deserve my wrath, Michael. I realized, with a lot of help, that I assumed a position in your life that I never should have. I should have either married your mom and tried to adopt you through legal means or I should have stayed the hell out of your life. The games your mother and I played are unforgivable. I'm sorry. I'm very sorry we messed with you when you were just a baby and you couldn't fend for yourself."

"That sin is forgivable, Jason," Michael said. "Very forgivable. The fact you just said that proves it to me. You finally said what I wanted to hear. What you and my mother did was wrong. You hurt so many people besides me. I'm just thankful my mother told the truth before she died."

"You're right, Michael, and I was wrong not to acknowledge Tony as your father. It took becoming a father myself to make me realize how I would've felt if someone had done that to me. We never should've played the cruel mind games on A.J. either. Julianna, would you tell your father how sorry I am? For everything?"

"I will."

"Would you like to meet our daughter?" Brenda asked.

"Sure," they both said.

With a smile on her face, Brenda went into a nearby room and returned carrying a sleepy little girl who looked to be about one.


"This is Cheyenne Barrett Morgan," Brenda proudly announced.

The little girl with the russet hair giggled when her father tickled her tummy and waved her fists in the air as she kicked.

"She's adorable," Julianna gushed, wanting to hold her.

"Very," Michael agreed.

He couldn't help but notice how natural Julianna seemed while holding her. They'd talked about starting a family. Michael knew he was ready.

"She was a total surprise," Brenda said and smiled at Jason. "But so incredibly wanted and loved."

They visited for a bit longer and then took their leave. As Julianna was about to head out the door, Jason stopped her.

"Tell your mom I got her letter, and let her know I agree with every word she wrote. She'll know what I'm talking about."

Julianna nodded and waved good-bye to Brenda and Cheyenne.

"Thanks for your address," Brenda said. "We'll be in touch."

For whatever reason, Julianna and Michael agreed that night's lovemaking was more incredible than usual.


*~*

On March 26, 2021, with Michael by her side, Julianna gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby boy. Mother and father couldn't have been happier.

"I love you so much," Michael said as he wiped his wife’s damp forehead and watched her hold their son.

"I love you more," she said and leaned in for a kiss.

"Anthony James Ward Quartermaine Jones," Michael said, sounding every bit the proud father he was, "welcome to our lives. We love you, son."

After Julianna and Michael got to spend some quality time with their newborn, Keesha, Bobbie, A.J. and Tony were allowed inside Julianna's room. She held the sleeping baby for all to see while Michael stood beside her, a giddy smile never leaving his face.

"He's so tiny," Keesha gushed. "But so very beautiful."

"Congratulations, you two," Tony said. "I know you're going to make wonderful parents."

"What's his name?" Bobbie asked, pulling back the sky blue blanket so they could see his angelic face better.

Julianna and Michael looked at each other.

"You tell them," Julianna said.

"In honor of our fathers," Michael said, "we've decided to name him Anthony James."

"Hey," Tony said to A.J. "Sounds good to me. What do you think?"

"I like it."

"I like it, too," Keesha said. "It seems very fitting."

Bobbie agreed.

Julianna and Michael exchanged grins.

"We thought when he's being good," Michael teased, "we'll call him Anthony or Tony, for short."

"And when he's being a bad boy," Julianna said, barely able to keep from laughing as she looked at her mother, "we'll call him A.J.!"

"Thanks a lot!" A.J. said, and then joined in the joyous laughter.

Keesha couldn't stop laughing.

"It's not that funny, sweetheart," he gently reprimanded her.

"Yeah," she said, trying to control herself, "it kinda is."

"Don't listen to them, Anthony James," he said to the baby who had not stirred. "They're already trying to turn you against me, but it won't work."

"Dad," Julianna said, her voice taking on a serious tone, "would you...would you like to be the first after Michael and me to hold him?"

"I would be honored," he said, his voice husky with emotion.

The room became suddenly quiet as Michael took the baby from his wife's loving arms and carefully placed him into A.J.'s. Anthony James briefly opened his eyes, looked in his grandfather’s direction, let out a yawn, and then snuggled further into his chest and closed his eyes, looking very content. A.J. thought the tears in his eyes were going to spill onto the newborn.

"Thank you," he said to his daughter, whose eyes were glistening. "I guess you know I never got to hold a baby."

"I knew you never got to hold me," she said, her voice quiet.

"And thanks to certain circumstances," Bobbie said, "A.J. never got to hold Michael either."

Keesha gently massaged her husband’s back as he held the precious infant in his strong arms and looked at him in awe.  She knew what a precious moment this was for him.  For all of them.

"Don't worry, A.J.," Michael said. "Julianna and I will always let you love and hold our children."

*~*

Gone,
Love is never gone
As we travel on,
Love's what we'll remember

Won't forget, can't regret
What I did for
Love

*~*

What I did for
Love

THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

  
End Notes:

Hi!  I finally posted all the chapters to this story! :-)  I hope you will enjoy the remaining chapters.  I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to read this fan fic and who has left me a review.  I've enjoyed reading and responding to all of them. :-)

I thoroughly enjoyed writing this fan fic.  Maybe it's because it gave *me* some badly needed GH closure. *grin*

Thank you again for taking the time to read.  There are soooo many wonderful stories on this site.  I hope, having finished uploading this one, I'll have more time to read more of the stories that are being posted and updated every day! :-)

Take care!!  You guys are awesome!!!

 

 

 

This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=88