Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
stories/537/images/adena2.jpgstories/537/images/craig2.jpgstories/537/images/missy2.jpgstories/537/images/felicia3.jpgstories/537/images/ron2.jpg


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Dislikes
* untidiness
* being teased
* familiarity
* surprises
* new ideas
* loneliness
* being made to feel useless
* being embarrassed in public

*

"So she aint at her parents place?"Missy asked Kim. Missy was at club Fever with some friends when Kim called her. Again it was about Adena's "disappearance". Supposedly Taye called her parents and told them everything that happened, which surprised her, only a REAL MAN would do that. But it wasn't even his place to do so. However, they told him she wasn't there. Now both Kim and Taye were freaking out and Kim was asking her if she has even seen her still. "Well no girl I haven't seen her, she hasn't called me or anything. She's probably hiding out with someone else"

"Not to be rude Missy, but who else can she run to? I mean who else does she know? I mean you know she only has us as close friends-"

"Well I don't know Kim. I mean maybe she found a new boyfriend? Maybe she ran into an old friend and is hiding out with them? Or a cousin? I don't know but obviously she doesn't want any of us to know"Missy said to her

"Well that's rude! And dangerous! Its been 24 hours. We are thinking about calling the police"Kim said worriedly. She was sick of worrying herself sick about this.

"Fuck the police Kim!"Missy said,"Girl it aint that serious. Shes fine. I know she is. She will show up. I mean its the weekend. She probably went away, alone...to the beach...somewhere..."

"Its January. Its 10 degrees out right now. Why would she be at the beach?"

"I'm just saying. And she doesn't have to be at the Hamptons. She could be in Jamaica for all we know. Just calm down, wherever she is, she doesn't want us worrying about her"Missy said

"Well if she does call you, call me"Kim said sternly

"Ok girl damn!-"

"No Missy, I'm serious. She could be dead somewhere and you don't care!"

"She aint dead nowhere. Adena aint that stupid"Missy said,"I do care, I just aint freaking out and don't pull that reverse psychology bullshit on me"

"Ok Missy...I'm sorry...I'm just worried..."

"Get some fucking sleep girl ok? Call me only when you are calmed down"she said to her and then hung up. She was worried, a little bit, but she had a feeling that wherever Adena was, she was ok. "I need a fucking drink girl"Missy said to her friend

"I got a shot of Patron right here"her friend said to her

"Yeah bitch! Thank you"Missy said as she downed the shot like a pro. The DJ put on another song and she moved to the music. They both got on the floor and she started dancing with various guys, girls too, she didn't discriminate.

Then the DJ started playing rock and techno. Missy rolled her eyes. Club Fever was a mixed club so the DJ always tried to play every kind of music for every kind of person and all the white people were feeling it but she sure as hell wasn't. "What the fuck is this shit!?"she said to her friend as she stood there on the dance floor with her arms crossed.

"You know they play this shit for the white people. See?"she said as most of them were jumping up and down and waving around glow sticks,"They like this shit"

"Well I don't, I need another shot and I need him to change the music"Missy said. She smiled at the cute DJ and said,"You get the drinks. I'm gonna talk to that fine ass"she said as she worked her way toward the DJ booth.

*

* Capricornean style of walking: swift and sure because all typical Capricorns take great care of where they put their feet when they take each step.

*

Adena started to laugh as Craig played techno music. At her high school, a lot of the white kids loved this music. This took her back to prom and all the high school parties that she went to.

"Whats so funny miss lady?"Craig asked as he stood next to her and leaned against the wall and drank his Heineken. He programmed the songs so that they would play on their own, which gave him a small break

"This music is just funny to me"Adena said to him,"My friends in high school loved this but I could never feel it like they could. They would dance just like them"she said as she pointed to the people that were jumping around and dancing to it

"So you never jumped around and danced to it? Not once?"he asked her

"I mean I have..."

"Show me"

"No....no way"

"Come on, believe me, no one is watching you, they cant see you. Its just me"Craig said,"Come on"he said to her

Adena just laughed, he could tell that she had more Cosmos than he had beer. But he liked it, she wasn't as uptight and self conscious when she was inebriated. Then surprisingly she got up and started to jump around and dance. He laughed. Then they both heard someone shout,"ADENA?!"

Adena turned around sharply and saw Missy standing there! She forgot that she was here! Shit..

"Girl where have you been!?"Missy said to her,"Kim has been getting on my goddamn nerves looking for your ass!"

"Missy, I can explain"Adena said as she walked over to her

"Whatever, explain it to Kim cuz I'm calling her"Missy said as she got out her phone

"No, I'm fine really-"

"No she asked me to call her when I found you safe and sound and you are-"

"Well she isn't my mom so she is fine!"Adena said to her. But Missy wasn't hearing her. She started to walk away,"Excuse me"she said quickly to Craig as she gave him her Cosmo and got down from the DJ booth and pushed through the crowd to get to Missy.She pulled her by the arm,"Missy don't!"

"Well look at you!"Missy said as she pulled her arm away,"Being all aggressive and shit...and hanging out and drinking with the hot DJ too huh? Girl you have only been divorced for like a few days and you already acting out"

"Missy its not like that-"

"Then what is it like?"Missy asked her,"Where have you been? Huh? You know that Taye and Kim are hitting my phone up every hour on the hour looking for your ass? Your parents are worried and they are thinking about calling the police-"

"My parents?"

"Yeah your parents, Taye freaked out last night and called them and told them everything"

"Everything?"

"Yeah everything. So they aint a big fan of Taye's either and they worried about you too"Missy said,"Here call them yourself and tell them your ok. Ok? So they wont bother me"

"No I cant...I need more time"Adena said, starting to panic. Why did Taye have to call her parents? She didn't want to tell them yet. Not like this. This was too embarrassing, she couldn't deal with all of this, not yet.

"What the fuck you mean, you need more time?"Missy asked her

"I need more time. I need more time away from everyone ok? I need time to think"

"Well what the fuck am I supposed to do then? Where have you been staying?"

"With Craig"

"Craig? Craig who?"

Adena nodded her head toward the DJ booth,"The DJ"

"You fucking the cute DJ?!"Missy said in shock as a girl came up to her with some shots

"No we aren't...doing that...he's just a friend"

"When was one of the hottest DJ's in New York just a friend of yours?"she asked her

"Since yesterday...its a long story...and I cant tell you everything right now, I will tell you everything when I'm ready ok?"Adena said to her

"Fine whateva"Missy said as she downed a shot

"Whats that?"Adena asked her

"Patron. Its the strongest liquor girl. It will get you fucked up and help you forget everything"Missy said with a laugh as she downed another one."Its too strong for you though"

"It helps you forget everything?"Adena asked her.Missy nodded,"Ok...Missy? I need a favor"

"What?"Missy asked her with a sigh, half annoyed, half tipsy

"I need you to call Kim and tell her that I'm fine. Tell her that I called you and told you that I went away ok? To think ok? Can you do that for me? Now?"she asked her

"Fine"Missy said,"I gotta go to the bathroom and do it. She cant hear me out here"Missy said. Craig started playing more popular music now and she said,"Its about fucking time!"

"You never saw me ok?"Adena asked her

"Ok...but when will I see you?"she asked her

"In a few days, when I get everything sorted out"Adena said,"Thanks"she said and gave her a hug and worked her way through the crowd back to Craig.

*

On the whole, Capricorns are not jealous people; nor are the quarrelsome, unless someone is trying to give them orders.

*

"She said what?!"Kim said to Missy once she heard the news,"That's it? That's all she told you?"

"Yeah, now call Taye and tell him so you all can leave me alone"Missy told her

"Well did she sound ok? Could you hear anything in the background? Was she calling from her cell phone?"

"She didn't sound too good, I could hear some guy whispering in her ear and she was calling from a private number"

"WHAT?"

"I'm kidding Kim, damn"Missy said,"She sounded normal ok?The background was quiet I guess, I wasn't paying attention and she called from her cell"

"Well why couldn't she call me?"

"I don't know Kim, she didn't have much to say and then she rushed me off the phone. That's all I can tell you"

Kim sighed,"Well I'm still worried but at least shes still alive.."

"Ok well I gotta go ok? See I told you, shes fine. Now go to sleep or something, well call Taye and then go to sleep"

They said their goodbyes and then hung up.However Kim still had a feeling that Missy wasn't telling her everything, like there was more to the story.

*

The need for public recognition is basic to Capricornean well-being.

*

"Oooh that Patron was strong"Adena said with a laugh as she and Craig left the club later that night. Adena kind of freaked out after she saw Missy but she figured those shots would help her forget everything and she needed to forget what just happened.

"Ok well can you please, kindly tell me whats going on? You seem different"Craig asked her,"Was that blond a friend of yours?"

"Yes, shes one of my best friends"

"One of the people that has been looking for you?"

"Yes"she said quickly,"Do you mind if I stay with you? Just a little bit longer? Im not ready...I need to think..."

"Yeah its fine..."Craig said,"But what about your friend?"

"I told her I was fine and to tell everyone that's been calling me that Im ok. That I'm away and that I needed time to think"Adena said as she and Craig entered his place."I'm gonna need to get some clothes. I'm gonna need to go home"

Craig nodded,"Are you sure that you can drive? I mean you are kind of...inebriated"

"But I'm not drunk.I'll be back"Adena said quickly as she got her keys

"Do you need me to come with you?"he asked her

"Nope"she said quickly on her way out and then shut the door behind her.

Craig just stood there in shock. He took off his jacket and gloves and just sat on the couch. He wondered what was really wrong with her and if she would open up to him and tell him. He sat down and laid his head against the couch and closed his eyes, then a few minutes later, well it seemed, he heard the door open. "What you forget?"he asked without opening his eyes,thinking it was Adena

"Got a light?"a female voice asked him

He opened his eyes and it was Felicia, his ex...well kind of."Um,hey...whats up?"

"You got a light?"she asked him. He nodded and got one of Ron's matchbooks and handed it to her."Thanks, how you been baby?"she asked him as she lit a cigarette and inhaled

"Fine but what are you doing here?"he asked her

She sighed,"I cant just come and see you and say hi? Its been awhile"

"Well no you cant Felicia. Its kind of different now. You found some new guy and you have been spending every waking moment with him. You dropped me like a bad habit"

"Well if it makes you feel better that bastard hasn't called me in 3 days"

"Actually no it doesn't, that just tells me that you are only paying me attention because he isn't paying attention to you"

"Well fuck, Craig! I cant ever do anything right can I?"Felicia said to him

Craig sighed, he didn't need another fight with her, not now. Not while he was worrying about Adena. "Felicia, besides a light, what else can I do for you?"

"I miss you Craig"Felicia said as she sat next to him on the couch,"I really do, I haven't stopped thinking about you over the past few days"

"And again the only reason why you have been thinking about me is because your new man aint giving you the time of day. 'Licia you haven't changed"

"Well you cant change me ok?"Felicia said angrily

"I'm not trying to-"

"Yes you have! You make such....demands upon me! Like we were in a relationship-"

"Well excuse me Felicia but when a woman sleeps here 6 out of the 7 days of the week, is always by my side and claims that she loves me? Well that sounds like a relationship right there"

"Well see that's your problem, you thought we were in a relationship when we weren't"Felicia said,but then she quieted down,"But lets try again...ok?-"

"No Felicia, I don't know if you are high or drunk or both but its not gonna happen. We aren't getting back together ok? Im through with you"Craig said to her just as Ron walked in from a long shift at the hospital

"Oh uh...hey Felicia"Ron said,knowing the awkward situation he just walked in on

"Mhmmm"she said in response,not looking at him, just glaring at Craig with hateful eyes. Ron just shrugged and walked into his room and closed the door.

Craig sighed,"There's nothing else to say-"

"Fine"Felicia said,"But you'll miss me, and you'll come back. I'm sure of it"she said and then walked out and slammed the door behind her.

"Wow"Ron said as he walked out of his bedroom,"I just um...ordered some Chinese cause I had a long day and it seems like you are...or starting to. I'm gonna go to the corner store and get some beers and maybe a dime aight?"he asked him

"Yeah whatever"Craig said as he sat back down on the couch and put his head in his hands

*

Cancerians often feel they are not loved enough, and so make draining demands on any partner who seems to have become uninterested.

*