Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Capricorn as a Parent
* is strict but always fair
* takes parenthood seriously
* has an ironic sense of humor
* provides the very best for the children
* is tender and sensitive
* has difficulty relating to young children, but will find it easier as they get older
* will teach the children good manners
* provides plenty of educational stimulation

*

The big day finally came, but when Adena woke up, she felt like shit. All she could think about was what happened last year. She decided to sleep on the couch the night before and it was a good thing that she did because she heard Craig's new girlfriend call him every now and then. She slept in his bed most of the time but not anymore. She sighed as she got out of the pull out bed and rolled it back into the couch. She looked toward Craig's room and saw that he was gone. Where was he? The apartment was quiet, Ron was probably out too.

She turned on the weather channel and saw that it was going to be 20 degrees today and sunny, no clouds. Her mood wasn't the same way however. She turned to the news and saw that the big story was the upcoming election and the current fear of a recession in the economy. She sighed. The stocks felt the same way she did, like they needed a big something to make them better. And again- all she could think about, when it came to feeling better, was what happened last year...this time....

*Flashback
January 16th, 2007

"Adena? Adena?"was the sound she heard that pulled her out of a dream. She looked up and saw Taye smiling down at her,"Morning beautiful"

"Morning"she said and yawned,"Oh I need to brush"she said as she covered her mouth quickly

Taye laughed,"Don't worry about it. You know what today is right?"he asked her

She laughed,"Of course I know what today is-"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"he shouted as he picked up a breakfast tray from off the floor. It had coffee, the morning paper, a red rose and a plate full of blueberry waffles.

"Oh Taye, you didn't have to-"

"Of course I had to. No, I wanted to, I'm your fiance"he said as he kissed her,"Get used to it, this is the first of many kick ass birthdays"

"Yo...Adena?...Earth to Adena?"was the sound she heard that pulled her out of her flashback. She looked up and saw Ron. He smiled,"Happy birthday girl"

"Thanks"she said simply

"Your welcome, get dressed"Ron said to her

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me, get dressed. Craig was tied with some other things, but wanted you to have fun. Hes gonna be meeting us back here later"

"Oh whats he doing?"Adena asked

"Hell if I know. He said something about meeting someone and....I dunno I wasn't paying attention"Ron said, he kept forgetting that he wasn't a good liar so he decided to tell half truths. He was meeting someone, that fine best friend of hers. His job was to get her out of the apartment. "Now get in the shower, I'm gonna take you to breakfast-"

"Ron you don't have to, you don't have to baby sit me for Craig-"

"I'm not babysitting you Adena. Besides we haven't hung out at all since you crashed the place"he said

"Oh well...I cant eat breakfast just yet, I have an appointment"

"Ok we can go after"he said,"I'll be waiting out here. Don't take too long"he said

Adena walked into Craig's empty room and longed for him to be there. Making her breakfast in bed... She got in the shower and got lost in her memories again....

*Flashback

"Oh really? A first of many?"she asked him

"Yeah, when your turning 83, you'll be getting the same thing"Taye said

"Sounds lovely"she said as she started to eat. She ate her waffles and looked through the paper and did the crossword puzzle and read the headlines. Stock market was at an all time high, some Barack Obama guy was gaining a lot of attention as the black democratic candidate for president. It would be awesome if he won, she thought. She finished and set the tray aside and got out of bed.

"What are you doing?"Taye asked as he ran to her

"I'm walking-"

"No your not!"he said as he picked her up,"I just swiffered this entire apartment and you haven't bathed, no dirty feet on my hardwood floors"

She laughed with delight,"You swiffered? The whole apartment? Whats wrong with you?"

"Its your birthday! That's whats wrong!"he said as they laughed and he carried her into the bathroom. She gasped when she saw a bath already made with her favorite pina colada bubble bath, candles surrounded their old fashioned claw footed tub and some old school r&b was playing.

"Taye...."

"I know I didn't have to"he said as he set her down and slowly started taking off her clothes,"But I want to"he said and kissed her gently on the lips

"Yo! Adena! You alright in there!?"Ron asked as he banged on the bathroom door.

"Ugh....yeah. I'm fine!"Adena said startled. Then realized she had been washing the same spot for awhile.

"You've been in there for almost a half hour"he said

"Oh shit"she said to herself as she turned off the water,"Thank you!"she said. She got out the shower, brushed her teeth and brushed her hair and picked out something business casual for her appointment. She wore a black pants suit with a gray glittery top and black boots.

"Oooh, you look all professional"Ron said with a smile as she finally emerged,he sniffed,"Is that pina coloda?"he asked her

*

Capricorns of both sexes find it hard to replace their partner and will tend to draw within themselves

*

"So...where are we going?"Ron asked her. He was supposed to be the one surprising her and taking her around, not vice versa.

"I have some appointments with some apartments. Just to look at them. Its a gift for myself"

"Your finding a new place?"Ron asked her, shocked. This was totally different than the conversation he had with Craig that morning.

*Flashback
Earlier that day, 10:38 am

"You what?"Ron asked Craig

"You think that's too fast?"Craig asked him

"Hell yeah its too fast! Its also wrong!"

"How is it wrong?"

"Because this isn't the Craig that I know! What happened to the Craig that would trip on double stacks of X and take strippers home?"Ron asked

"That's not me anymore. Come on, I'm 25 now. That's all out of my system. I gotta grow up. Please tell me you don't do that...well the X I mean"he said,he knew Ron still saw strippers or any random girl.

"So growing up means asking a girl to move in after knowing her for a little over one week?"Ron asked,"Have you two been fucking? Is it that good?"

"NO!"Craig said and then quickly shut up.Adena was still asleep."It was just a hypothetical question. I was thinking about asking her, yes. Shes been going through a lot and feels she has no one to turn to. I wanna be the person who she can turn to"

"She doesn't have to live here to turn to you. There's phones, text messaging, IM's, she can come over anytime"

"You know what I mean"

"No I don't"Ron said,"Craig, you cant be this Captain Save-A-Hoe character ok?"

"Adena is not a hoe"

"I'm not calling her one but you have the save-a-hoe syndrome. Adena has other friends that she can turn to, you don't have to do everything for her. You don't have to be the one that saves the day and gets her into bed. I mean is that what this is all about?"

"Its not like that"Craig groaned,"I shouldn't have asked you, of course you wouldn't understand. But are you going to take her out though? I made a list of stuff she likes, just keep her out of the apartment until 8, can you do that?"

"Museums?"Ron asked,"I haven't been to one since the 6th grade!"

"Its only one day Ron it wont kill you"Craig said

"Why are you finding a new place?"Ron asked Adena

"Because I cant mooch off of the two of you forever"she said as they walked in,"Its been fun Ron really and I thank you. I know it was an inconvenience, especially for you, since you barely know me. But I had a life before this. A job, a husband..."

"But things have changed. We aren't kicking you out you know. I mean, did Craig say something to scare you off?"he asked. Maybe Craig did ask her to move in and scared her, if he were her, he would be.

"No...."she lied. She knew deep inside that she would have stayed if this new girlfriend of his didn't show up. Ron saw that she was lying, something happened. But decided not to press further. The surprise party would turn everything around, girls loved surprises.

They looked at two apartment complexes and both were very nice. He even found one that he liked. Once he wasn't an intern at the hospital, he would be getting mad paper. Then he could have the ultimate bachelor pad. "These places are expensive..compared to our place. Now I know why you wanna leave"

"Its not like that"Adena said sincerely and he knew it. So that wasn't it then...

"What do you do for a living?"he asked her. They probably talked about it before but he couldn't remember.

"I'm an art dealer at Donatella's Gallery. You heard of her?"

"Versace's daughter has a gallery?"he asked. He knew about Versace since one of his last girlfriends was an aspiring model.

"No its another one. But this Donatella is very talented at art, not fashion"she said

"So what do you do?"he asked her

"I sell her art. Help run her gallery. I get salary and commission for every painting sold. Set up shows and things like that"she said, she started to miss it.

"Did you get fired?"

"No...Donatella heard about our separation the day after and said don''t come back until everything's resolved. She didn't want a heartbroken art dealer making her look bad"

"That sucks...but at least you get to go back"he said. She nodded,"I say you should take this one"he said

She shrugged as she took a picture of the view with her camera phone. "I'm gonna think about it. I say we should get some breakfast before my next appointment"

"Good!"he said, he was starving."Wait another one?"

"Got a full schedule"she said,"You don't mind?"

"Naw"he said with a shrug. He could be with his girl right now, but then he could be in a boring museum, so this was better than nothing.

They headed outside and the lady from the rental office suggested a restaurant across the street. She said they had the best bagels in town but every bagel place in New York said that. It was right next to a Party City store and she stopped when she saw Craig and Missy playing with some party favors. They were having a great time. Great....she wanted to cry.

*

Capricorns are not very good judges of character

*

Ron could sense that something was wrong with Adena, but he couldn't ask her because he probably couldn't help her. He just prayed that the surprise party would fix everything, but why did he have a bad feeling about it?

He wasn't alone. Kim had the same feeling, she felt bad as she walked around Craig's apartment. It was decked out with decorations, homemade food, alcohol and he set up a small DJ system as well. This party was going to be a waste once she gets here,she said with a sigh. "This is Kim, Adena's 2nd best friend"Missy said introducing Craig to her.

"2nd best?"she asked and laughed,"Nice to finally meet you Craig"she said to him

"Thank you for coming"Craig said excitedly to her. Then the doorbell rang and a few more people came in,an older couple came in which surprised him but he didn't have time to ask, Ron just sent a text message that they were minutes away."Attention everyone! The birthday girl is a block away so get your noise makers and find a hiding spot"he said as a man with a bald head walked in,"What's up, the birthday girl is on her way"he said hurriedly and rushed to get everything ready.

Taye frowned."That must be him"he said jealously as he put his jacket in a bedroom with all the others. He saw Adena's parents and made his way over to them,"I'm glad you two made it"

"Us too. Who's the host?"Gladys asked, while her husband looked very grim with his sharp, penetrating eyes.

"That light skinned guy running around like a chicken with his head cut off"he said nastily.

"Oh I wonder how she knows him"she said

"ATTENTION EVERYONE, SHES IN THE ELEVATOR AS WE SPEAK"the light skinned guy said as he turned off the music and turned off the lights

Missy and Kim gasped, they just noticed who came in.

"What the fuck is Taye doing here!?"Missy said

"What the hell are her parents doing here?"Kim said at the same time.

Then everything went in slow motion. The door opened, they all heard a voice, they saw a silhouette of a tall and lanky guy and Adena, the lights came on, people jumped out of their hiding spots and shouted surprise, confetti was thrown, everyone applauded, Adena looked shocked, then scared, then angry and then stomped toward a bedroom and shut the door.

"Fuck. I knew this was going to happen"Kim said

"Of course it would! Her fucking cheating ex is here! He ruined everything!"Missy said,"How did he find out!?"

"I told him-"

"WHAT!?"

"I figured the best present would be for them to patch things up-"

"KIM! YOU RUINED EVERYTHING! HE'S THE LAST PERSON SHE WANTS TO SEE!"Missy yelled at her over the music, which was very loud. "I'm gonna see if shes ok"she said as Kim started to go with her,"You stay here, you did enough damage"

"You did enough damage Missy"Kim said to her,"You knew Adena didn't like surprise parties!"

"She doesn't?"Craig asked as he walked up to her,he looked at Missy,"Why? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought she would be over it"

"That's why she looked at me like she wanted to kill me!"Craig said,"I gotta talk to her"he said as he went toward his bedroom. Missy following him.

"I knew this would happen"Rick said as he stood next to Gladys,"We should go to her. She needs to speak with us anyway, this silent treatment has gone on far enough"he said as he walked toward the bedroom that Adena disappeared into. Taye followed with his bouquet of flowers.

Meanwhile...behind closed doors...

"Missy, you knew I hated surprise parties!"Adena yelled at her,"Especially if my ex husband and my parents are here!"

"I didn't invite them. Kim invited Taye....I don't know who told your parents"Missy said

"Where's Kim, get her in here"Adena said as she blew her nose,"This is the worst day ever"

Missy opened the door to find Kim, Craig, Taye, Mr and Mrs. Capricorn. "She wants Kim"she said as she pulled her in and shut the door.Kim ran to Adena and hugged her but Adena pushed her away.

"How could you bring him here? This was the only place where I could get away from all of you and you find a way to ruin it!"

"Grow up Adena!"Kim shouted back at her,"Do you know how worried we all have been? You cant ever run away from your problems! You know this! You had to face all of us one of these days! I'm sorry! Taye has been calling me non stop about how he still loves you, how he wants to get back together, isn't that what you wanted? Or have you changed into a child now?"

"I don't need to hear this"Adena said as she picked up her purse. She still had her jacket on.

"That's right, run away again! Run Adena, but where the fuck are you going to go?"

"Adena come on, Craig and I spent a lot of money on this party, don't waste it"Missy said

"Well get a refund and plan your fucking wedding together!"Adena said angrily and then opened the door and ran out

"Wait...what?"then Missy figured it out,"Adena!"she shouted after her,"it aint even like that!"she sighed,"She likes him. She's jealous"

Mr. and Mrs. Capricorn, Taye and Craig didn't notice Adena run out of the bedroom and out the front door. Some of the partiers didn't notice. "Don't bother, shes on her disappearing spree again, she doesn't want to be found"Kim said sadly to them. But Craig wasn't having it and he left and went after her as Taye and her parents questioned Kim.

Missy went over to the alcohol and made herself a concoction and then downed all of it almost. She was gonna need a drink. All the money she spent on this party, wasted.

"Hey slow down babe, whats the rush?"someone asked her. She turned and saw the tall and lanky guy that Adena came in with, must be Craig's roommate.

"This party is over. The birthday girl is crying and having a fucking hissy fit"

"Hey, its her party and she can cry if she wants to"he said,"Doesn't mean the party is over though"he said as he downed another beer."I own this place, so I have the right to kick everyone out. Your not going nowhere"

"Fine I wont"Missy said with a smile

"I'm a doctor you know"he said with a smile. Missy smiled as well and her eyes sparkled with the images of dollar signs dancing in her head.

*

Capricorns are not jealous people; nor are the quarrelsome, unless someone is trying to give them orders

*

"Adena! Wait!"Craig said as he grabbed her arm before she got into the elevator. "Whats wrong? Where are you going?"

"Away! From you!"she said,"I cant believe you going behind my back about this!"

"Its a surprise party! That's how it works!"

"Well I don't like surprises!"

"I know that now! But I didn't know that"he said to her. "I'm not going to apologize for the fact that I went out of my way to do something for you! That's what Ive been doing! Ive been hiding you away from all your friends, taking you out, trying to cheer you up. All day, every day I'm worried about whether your ok or whether you are gonna get sick and have a nervous breakdown. I wanted you to have the best birthday, something that could help forget last year. Obviously that's fucked up but I did it. All for you. And no thank you at all. What is up Adena, this aint like you"

"You don't even know what I'm like, obviously!"she yelled back at him,"You didn't know that I liked surprise parties and the fact that maybe inviting my ex husband would make it worse"

"What?"Craig asked and then, speaking of the devil.

"Adena, we need to talk, this has gone on far enough"Taye said as he walked up to them

"Your Taye?"Craig asked

"Yeah and your-"

"THERE YOU ARE, YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKERS!"a girl said as she came out of the elevator."You two are gonna listen to me, and your gonna listen now! You have to choose between me and that bitch Adena!"

"Excuse me!"Adena said angrily,"I'm Adena, who the hell are you?"she said as Craig attempted to hold her back

The woman looked at her, startled that THE Adena was standing there, then she gave an evil smirk,"Im Craig's girlfriend....and Taye's too"she said

*

Typical Capricorns do not have casual affairs

*