Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
stories/537/images/adena2.jpgstories/537/images/craig2.jpg


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Compatibility
Capricorn with Capricorn: Harmonious
Capricorn with Aquarius: Harmonious
Capricorn with Pisces: Harmonious
Capricorn with Aries: Difficult
Capricorn with Taurus: Harmonious
Capricorn with Gemini: Turbulent
Capricorn with Cancer: Difficult
Capricorn with Leo: Turbulent
Capricorn with Virgo: Harmonious
Capricorn with Libra: Difficult
Capricorn with Scorpio: Harmonious
Capricorn with Sagittarius: Harmonious

*

Adena accepted defeat and walked out of the art gallery,with her coat and purse still in hand.She walked down the street in the cold 20 degree weather in her black turtleneck sweater, coat, black leather skirt,black pantyhose and matching black leather boots.She put her black shades back on since the sun reflecting off of last nights snow was too bright.You could say that it looked like she was going to a funeral.And she felt that she was,her own.

She didnt know where to go.She was going to go to her car and go back to Kim's place but she didnt want to.Then she saw a bar called East Village and she walked in. She sat down at the bar and saw there were only 4 other men inside,not including the bartender,they were sitting at various places at the bar.

"What can I get ya?"the bartender asked her

Adena sighed,what should she get?Why was she even here?She wasnt a bar person.Then she said the first thing that came to mind,"Scotch...on the rocks"she said quietly.She sat there and looked at the tv's at the bar,one showed ESPN,another showed music videos.She looked away and sniffled.

"Got laid off too huh?"someone asked her.She looked to see a light skinned guy a few stools down from her.

She coughed,"Excuse me...."she said covering her mouth,then she looked at him,"Excuse me?"

"I usually dont drink anything at 8am"he said to her,"But now I am.I got laid off too.I still have a job but...that job paid the bills"he said,"Everyone in here got laid off"he said as he looked around the room,"Those guys too.The only person here who still has a job is the bartender...thank God"he said as the bartender gave her the scotch

Adena looked at the drink and back at him,"Well Im sorry you got laid off.But Im not"she said and then she stopped.Did Donatella really give her time to grieve?Or did she really lay her off? "I think...."she said

"What do you mean you think?"he asked her,"Its Tuesday,8:09 am.Everyone is at work or at least on their way.Not in a bar.If so then you got laid off.Its a rule"he said

Adena gasped,she didnt know what to think.She drank the scotch down fast and coughed.First Taye was gone,and now her job?She started to cry without meaning to.

The guy got up and sat next to her and gave her a few napkins,"Hey Im sorry.I was rude about it,I mean some people cant be openly bitter and can talk about it like me"he said to her,"Coke and rum for the lady please"he said to the bartender

"Thanks"Adena said as she took the napkins from him and blew her nose.She was really stuffed up,she realized.Her throat was burning even before she took the scotch to the head.She wiped her eyes,"Im just a little confused I guess"she said to him,"I went to work today and....well my boss told me to go home after hearing about my divorce.She said she didnt want her best worker feeling and looking like shit.Now at first I thought that maybe she is just giving me all my sick days that I havent used but.....I dont know"

The guy smiled,"Well did she say 'Your fired' or 'You will never work in this town again'?"he asked her

"No.She said to rest...."

"Well that was nice of her then"he said to her as the bartender set the coke and rum in front of them,"I wish my boss did that"he said,"Im sorry about your divorce"

"Yeah me too"she said and sniffled.She took a few sips of the coke and rum,it was good,not as strong as the scotch.He ordered one for himself.

"I think you'll be fine"he said to her.He looked at her and then said,"Now tell me where I have seen you before.It has been bothering me ever since you walked in here"

She looked at him,she didnt know what he was talking about.She has never seen him before in her life."Um....you must be mistaken"

"No.I have.And its gonna bother me"he said as he looked at her,"Do you come here often?"

"No I pass by everyday though"she said as she sipped

"Is there a restaurant that you dine in daily?Or every now and then?"he asked her

"Well on my lunch break my friends and I always go to Dominic's on W. 127th"she said

He sighed,"Never been there,so that cant be it.Do you go to clubs?"

"Barely,and when I do,I dont stay long"she said

He sat there and laughed a little,"I dont want to be so nosy but Im gonna solve this mystery"he said to her,"You still in school?"he asked her

"No I graduated last year from Columbia"

"I went there too"he said to her,"But I dropped out after my first semester...which was long ago.But that cant be it.It was recent when I saw you"he said to her

She laughed a little,"Maybe I just look like someone you know?"she asked him

"Yeah...."he said and then smiled,"You look like an older and mature version of my little sisters"he said,"Maybe thats it"he said as he drank a huge gulp of his coke and rum.

Then Adena gasped.Some guy at Fever told her that she reminded him of his sisters and thats why he had saved her from the hornball.Was that him?She couldnt tell because it was dark in the club."Do you go to Fever?The nightclub?"

He smiled and looked at her,"Yeah.I work there.Thats the only job I have left actually"he said,"You been there?"he asked her

"I was there a few nights ago....did....I dont know if you remember..but some guy saved me from some ghetto hornball trying to-"

"Hit on you right?"he asked,finishing her sentence,"Thats where I have seen you"he said,"I told you that you looked like my little sisters"

"Yeah you did"Adena said with a little laugh as she finished the drink

"He did leave you alone afterwards right?"he asked her

"Yeah but I left right after that.It just didnt feel right being there after everything that I have been going through that week"she said with a sigh

"You look so young.I never would have thought that you were married"he said to her,"How old are you?"he asked her

"You dont ask a girl her age"Adena said to him

"Sorry"he said shaking his head,"That slipped my mind.You just look so young..."he said and then saw the bartender take the empty glass,"You want another?"

She coughed,"Yes please"she said to him as she pushed the used napkins aside and took some hand sanitizer out of her purse to clean her hands."Im Adena"she said to him

"Thats a beautiful name.Craig"he said to her with a smile.He then laughed,"Wow a lot happens in 15 minutes"

"Excuse me?"she asked him

"Oh that didnt sound right did it?Even though its true"he said and laughed,"No I was saying a lot happens in 15 minutes because I know your name,that you went to NYU but you dont go to clubs except for that one time last week where I saved you from a hornball,you love your job but your boss gave you a break but you dont like it,and thats because of your recent divorce which you also dont like,you love to go to Dominc's-whatever that is-with your friends....and you dont drink much"he said with a laugh.He could tell,women let loose a little and relax once they have reached their usual limit,and hers wasnt a lot.

"Wow you described me perfect"Adena said with a laugh."But there are still a lot of things you dont know...."she said as she sipped on the new coke and rum set in front of her.

"Just give me another 15 minutes and I will....Adena"he added

She laughed,"23"she said and sipped

"Huh?"he asked her

"Thats how old I am"she said and smiled

*

Cancer is the complementary opposite sign to Capricorn. Both are strong willed and may battle for supremacy concerning organization.

*

"Im a Capricorn.My birthday is this weekend"Adena told Craig.Once Adena got to know Craig,she didnt want to leave the bar.It was better than cleaning and being alone at Kim's.

"I think Im a Cancer....yeah Im a Cancer"he said,"But what are you going to do?"he asked her,"You gotta celebrate big for that big 24"

"I dont know.Go over divorce papers?"she asked out loud.Then she sighed and immediately got depressed again.She just realized that this would be her first birthday in a long time that didnt involve Taye.

"Hey come on now....dont think like that ok?"Craig said to her,"But since you are going through something big,difficult,life changing and not very positive then you need to celebrate big this year"

"I dont know what I want to do"she said quietly

"Aww come on.Your birthday only comes once a year.Do you really want to wait another whole year to make up for this year?"he asked her

"You love birthdays dont you?"she asked him

"Yeah,who doesnt?Its more than presents and cakes.Its being thankful for being alive another year.Lots of people dont get that.Lots of people dont get to see their 24th birthdays"he said,then he sighed.

Adena noticed a small change in him.A part of that statement really meant something to him or was too true for him."Hey you ok?"she asked him

He looked at her quickly,like he just came back to earth from another planet,"Yeah...yeah I am"he said and he soon recovered and his smile was back,"Anyway,you gotta plan big for that birthday of yours"

"I'll think about it"she said with a sigh.

"Its snowing again"Craig said as he saw snow falling outside of the bar,"Doesnt snow make you wanna just curl up in front of a fireplace with a book and hot chocolate?"he asked her

"Yeah that sounds good"she said to him and then started coughing.

"Hey you ok?"he asked her.He noticed that she was sweating a little and her coughs were pretty bad,he could hear her wheeze a little,"Geez,you really dont drink too much do you?"

"No...its not that.I have been feeling down these days"she said as she coughed some more."Oh that hurt"she said to herself.

"You might have a cold"he said to her as he put his hand to her forehead,she was burning up."You know its less than 20 out...maybe its the skirt?"

"Yeah, kinda stupid I guess"she said as she coughed

"You should get out of here"he said to her.He took out his wallet and threw a few bills down,"Thanks guy"he said to the bartender,"That should cover it"he said as he got up,"Come on,Im gonna take you home...where do you stay?"

"Well Im staying with a friend,I left my husband..."she said as he helped her put on her coat and buttoned it up.She held her purse and tried to walk out.It didnt help that she was a little drunk.How did she get drunk so fast?

"Ok well where does she stay?"he asked as he put his jacket on and toboggan as he opened the door and walked outside

"Um.....shit"Adena said

"You dont know where she lives?"he asked her with a smile

"I do.But....I never paid attention to the details you know?I can show you how to get there but I dont know what the street is or the apartment number..."

"Ok then show me"he said to her.He saw her take car keys out of her coat pocket."Oh you got a ride?"

"Yeah"she said.Taye gave it to her,she realized that she had to get rid of it."But I cant drive it"

"I will.Unless you dont trust me"

"I do....I mean I let you get me drunk at 8 this morning"she said to him with a laugh which led to more heavy coughs.They walked to the parking lot near the art gallery and she pointed to a black BMW,"There she is"

"Damn"he said as he unlocked the car and helped her in,"This is nice"he said as he got in and turned the car on and put the heat on high.He then got back out and wiped the snow off of all the windows."Ok show me where your friend lives"he said as he got back in.He then looked at her and saw that she was asleep."Shit"he said with a laugh,"Adena?You gotta wake up....I dont know where to take you"he said to her.He looked at her concerned.She was really sick.He hoped that she was right and hoped it wasnt the alcohol and that it was something else.He felt guilty since he paid for the alcohol.He tapped her and shook her but she didnt wake up.She was still breathing but it was raspy.He put the car in drive and sped out of the parking lot.

*

Other sicknesses linked to Capricorn are rheumatism, bone diseases, sterility, damage to leg and knees, skin problems, and depression.

*

Craig never believed in hospitals or doctors but he was very tempted to take Adena to one.However,he had a doctor at his disposal,his roommate.He was an intern at the Manhattan hospital and luckily he had the morning off.

"She obviously hasnt been taking care of herself.She is probably overworked,stressed and hasnt been dressing for the weather.She has the flu"Ron, his roommate,said to him as he inspected Adena as she laid in Craig's bed."She'll need to rest and she needs antibiotics.No more drinking,strictly fluids,water and soup if she can stomach those.She wont want to eat anything"

"She just went through a divorce.Her boss refused her to work today or any day until she is over it,which depresses her.Shes stressed out by both situations,she cried about it"Craig said to him

"So which strip club does she work at?I havent seen her at any"Ron asked him.Lately Craig has brought home dancers and strippers or just random girls from Fever.

"She doesnt work at a strip club asshole"Craig said,"Shes an art dealer"

"Wow,well did you meet her at a strip club?"

"No!I met her a few hours ago at East Village"

"You just met her?And you already know her life story?"he asked him

"Yeah,I was laid off and I went to the bar to drink the sorrow away and she comes in and we get to talking-"

"Wait you were laid off?"Ron asked,"From the mailroom?Im sorry man"

"Yeah,downsizing"Craig said with a sigh,"So is it normal that she passed out?"

"I wouldnt necessarily say that she passed out.She was already tired and since you said that she doesnt drink much....the warmth of the car,the way she was feeling and the alcohol made her fall asleep like that.You sleep deeper when you have the flu.I wish I had the flu.It was the best sleep and diet I ever went on"Ron said

"Ok...."Craig said as he looked at her,"What should I give her?"he asked her

"Try a little tenderness!"Ron sang and then laughed.He was saying that stupid line from Shrek all week.Craig couldnt wait until he got a quote from another movie,"Im kidding but um yeah.Ibuprofen should help,you can get it from Duane Reeds"he said referring to the pharmacy down the street."Or you can wait until I get back from work and I can pick up stuff"

"No I'll go ahead and get some of that.But I'll call you if it gets worse ok?"he asked him

"Ok"Ron said,"See you later man"he said as he put on his jacket and left.

"Bye"Craig said.He tucked Adena into his bed and wrote her a note in case she woke up.

'Adena,you passed out in your car and I brought you back to my place since my roommate is an intern at the hospital.He advised me to give you plenty of rest,thats why I didnt wake you,and to go to the store and pick up a few antibiotics,if Im not here when you wake,thats where I am.- Craig'

He put the note next to her on the bed,put on his jacket and walked out.He hoped that he wouldnt get arrested for kidnapping when he got back.

*

To Cancers friends are, in many ways, regarded as family possessions themselves and are treated as such, with loving care, protective hospitality, sensitive consideration, and great tenderness.

*

Craig picked up some Ibuprofen pills,lots of water,soup,crackers,tissues,an extra blanket,hot chocolate and some magazines,even though he didnt know if Adena would like them.He wasnt even sure if she was going to stay but Ron said that she needed rest and if she needed rest at his place then thats what she can get.

He came back home and was surprised to find Adena still sleeping.He put the bag in the kitchen and brought the pills and some water into the bedroom.Ron said she would need some antibiotics immediately.He didnt want to disturb her and sat there and watched her sleep for a little and then said,"Adena?............Adena?"

She stirred a little,"Adena?"he asked again.He then tapped her a little and she then opened her eyes,"Hey"he said with a smile

She quickly sat up,"Where am I?"

"Your at my place-"

"What!?Was I that drunk!?"she asked him and got up quickly,"Ohmygod,why am I so stupid!?Why do I always do this!?"she said out loud as she found her jacket and started coughing again.

"Wait,what are you talking about?"Craig asked as he walked up to her,"Adena you cant leave,you need to rest a little you have the-"

"I can leave if I want to leave!I cant believe you took advantage of me-"she said and then sneezed,"Shit"she said as she saw a box of tissues and wiped her face and hand.

"Adena what the hell are you talking about?I didnt take-"then he stopped and laughed,"Did you think that we fucked or something?"

"Hey!"she said to him,"Do you have to be so....."she coughed and then wheezed a little,"Vulgar?"she asked as she put her heels back on

"Adena,calm down.We didnt....have sex ok?"he asked her,"Sorry for being so vulgar"he said to her,"You passed out in your car and I didnt know where to take you.I brought you here because my roommate is an intern at the hospital and he told me that you have the flu and that you need to rest and you need this"he said as he showed her the pills and water,"I was letting you sleep in my bed,thats it"he said to her

Adena coughed and then looked at him.He was right.Why did she always jump to conclusions?"Oh...."she said and sat down on the edge of the bed,"Im sorry-"

"Its fine.I mean you were drunk too.When you wake up in someone else's bed you always jump to that conclusion....even though you were fully clothed"Craig said to her with a laugh.That little scene that she made was cute."Now I can take you home if you want me to,or you can feel free to stay here,I got you some stuff"he said to her as he held up the bag of stuff.

"Oh thanks..."she said and then started coughing and then ran to the bathroom and coughed up in the toilet and flushed it."Shit"

"You ok?You didnt throw up did you?"

"No....mucus,phlegm whatever you wanna call it"she said,"I feel so hot"she said as she took off the coat,"Where are those pills?"she asked him.He gave her the pills and the bottled water and she swallowed them down and drank the water

"Im gonna make you some soup,but heres some bread to fill up your stomach for now"he said as he gave her some cinnamon raisin bread."I know you arent hungry but we dont want those pills to give you an upset stomach"he said to her

"You dont need to make me any soup.I'll just have the bread"she said as she walked back in his room and sat on the bed and then laid down

"Do you want me to take you home?"he asked her

"Can I stay here?Just for a few?Til I feel a little more better?"she asked him.He nodded and tucked her back in.As she ate the bread,they talked some more about interests and what was going on in their lives,mostly hers.He wanted to know more about her.

*

Cancer can teach Capricorn how to sense other people's needs and feelings, and how to express his or her own emotions.

*