Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hola kids! It's been a long couple of months...in regards to my writing life and my real life. I've got a new job, I'm back in school gettin' that masters ;) and I've moved. A lot is going on with me, so your patience is much appreciated. I'll allow everyone to throw one stone at me because I probably deserve it. I'm going to try to do better with my updating and not keeping everyone waiting. I hope you enjoy and excuse any mistakes. Happy reading!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Kaleesa

The remaining wedding guests had filtered out of the party and into the parking-lot to send off the happy couple. I waved enthusiastically, even though I was anything but, as Tayla and James’s car speed off into the darkness. I was tired. Honestly, tired didn’t even cover the spectrum of things I was feeling at the moment.

I was plum tuckered out! And there was still straightening up to do in the banquet hall. I pulled my cell phone from my clutch and checked the time.

Midnight.

I groaned as I listened to the blaring music coming from the non-stop reception. I was never going to get out of here before twelve-thirty.

“Not having a good time?” I was startled by Jonathan’s voice. I turned and noticed that he’d taken off his tie and had discarded of his jacket. He had a relaxed grin on his face as if he hadn’t a care in the world.

God, how I envied him.

“I’m having a great time. I’m just dreading having to possibly kick out some rowdy drunken folks. We only reserved this place for another thirty minutes.”

“Don’t worry about it. If you’re tired, you should go home.”

I shook my head and rubbed my shoulder to help release some of the tension I was feeling. “Can’t. It’s my job to—”

“You’re only job tonight is to have fun. It was deemed so by boss lady.” His grin widened.

I chuckled. “Is that so? I didn’t get that memo.”

“I have a written deposition. It’s all legal and such. Nothing you should concern yourself with. The only thing you need to worry about is...” Without warning, he took my hand, spun me and dipped. “Having a good time.”

I couldn’t contain my laughter as he held me in place for a moment, searching my eyes.

“You have very beautiful almond-shaped eyes, Miss Blake.”

I sobered and gave a sly smile. “You have very nice teeth, Mister Denson.”

He chuckled, allowing me to straighten but continued to hold me around the waist. “I have nice teeth? That’s definitely a new line.”

“My dad was a dentist. I had the cleanest teeth of all my friends. Most people had yearly check-ups, whereas my sister and I had daily ones.”

He nodded, putting space between us. “Ah, I see. No wonder why you have such a great smile.”

“Now, that’s a line.” But I smiled despite myself and began to make my way back to the reception.

“I noticed you said ‘was’. So, he’s retired then?” He asked as he caught up to me and matched my pace. “I was really hoping to get a friend discount.”

I felt a quick stab to the heart and suddenly I wasn’t so exhausted or jovial, but I answered. “He’s dead. Both of my parents, in fact.”

He touched my shoulder comfortingly and made me halt. “That was insensitive of me.” His eyes held an understanding I hadn’t expected to find. I was relieved to see anything but sympathy.

“It’s alright. You couldn’t have known.” I offered a reassuring smile and began to walk again.

Though the car accident had happened a couple of years ago, the hurt was still fresh. I wasn’t able to speak of them without becoming emotional, up until a few months ago. I’d had a difficult time remembering anything but all of the times I wished I could have taken back before they’d died. My sister had recommended I see someone but I wasn’t quite ready to open up to a stranger...so why was I so compelled to tell John everything?

I began to slow my pace as we moved closer to the sounds of jubilant intoxication. I really wasn’t in the mood to be harassed by all of James’s single buddies or ‘Uncle Charlie’ again.

“I think I’m going to take a walk.” I turned sharply and looked up into John’s handsome face. “I think my brain is going to rattle out of my ears if I have to listen to all the commotion. I’ll see you later.” I began to walk in the opposite direction.

I was about twenty yards away when John called out to me. I whipped around and watched him jog closer.

“Would you like company?”

I wasn’t so sure I wanted or needed company.

“Do you think I need protecting, Mister Denson?” I raised an eyebrow as I eyed him carefully. The man had fantastic bone structure.

He shook his head. “Excuse me for being presumptuous, but if I was a man on the prowl and I saw you alone, I’d go after you.”

“I should not be flattered by that comment.” I laughed nervously and wrung out my hands. “You’re quite strange, Jonathan.”

“You’re very beautiful, Kaleesa.” He said with unabashed conviction. My eyes widened in surprise. I wasn’t completely sure if he was trying to flirt with me or if he was on some kind of honesty kick.

I’d had a few men in my life call me hot, sexy, thick, and a few other endearments I’d like to forget but I’d never been called beautiful by anyone other than my daddy. I could feel heat rising in my cheeks as he continued to grin down at me.

Wordlessly, I turned and began walking. My heels clicked against the brick pathway, filling the warm night air. When I didn’t hear his accompanying footsteps, I looked over my shoulder and asked, “Are you coming?”

His smile was slow as he caught up and we strolled into the darkness together.

****

Rochelle

The aspirin Beverly had given me did nothing to sate the pounding in my head. I’d have cut out earlier but it was my job to see that everyone made it home safely and that the venue was back in its rightful place before I left.

It’d already been a long night and my so called date had proven himself quite useless, dancing with other women before he even thought to ask me to accompany him on the dance floor. I could see the self-righteous twinkle in his eye when the women began flocking his way once they discovered he’d trained in ballroom dancing. I practically had to book a reservation to dance with my own date, and he happily put me on his list. I should have seen the pretentious son of a bitch coming a mile away. I almost convinced myself that he was worth a second date. The loser hadn’t even been worth a first.

Kaleesa Blake had been the first of his dance partners and I couldn’t help but pin all of my misfortune of the night on her. I couldn’t see what everyone else saw in her. She wasn’t anything special. Yes, she was educated and thankfully competent in her job but what was the real hoopla? I was determined to keep close watch of her…and maybe do a little more than keep a close watch.

I shook my head of thoughts of Miss Blake and concentrated on massaging my terrible headache away. It was nothing short of amazing that, in a room full of people, I could feel so alone. This night just had to end and it had to end now. I reached for my clutch and pulled out my BlackBerry; something I knew would keep me distracted. Self-pity was a pet peeve of mine, I couldn’t stand other’s wallowing in it and I’d be damned if I did.

“Excuse me, is this seat taken?”

I looked up, making sure I put on my best “fuck off” face. The pristinely clear hazel eyes had my glare faltering just a bit. Once I pulled my gaze away from his, I noticed he was tall in stature, giving me the impression that he was probably one of James’ professional athlete friends. His skin was a deep coffee color and absolutely flawless. Under any other circumstances, I’d have regarded him with indifference and let him sit in any of the vacant seats. But just as well, these weren’t any other circumstances and I was tired of men with that pretentious gleam in their eyes.

“As a matter of fact…” I trailed off, hoping he’d catch the hint and go the hell away.

“I’ll just be a second. I need to rest my feet.” He pulled out the chair across from me with the same friendly grin plastered on his face, which annoyed me.

Anyone that happy all the time had issues they were trying to conceal, in my opinion. I chose to continue to check for messages and missed calls that I knew didn’t exist. I’d told everyone that I was going to be consumed by this wedding for the next few days, and not to disturb me.

“My name is Kameron, I’m—”

The poor bastard had no idea what he’d just done. I’d almost felt sorry for him…almost.

“Look, whoever you are, I can’t honestly say I give a damn at the moment. I’ve had a hell of a day with a date who would rather sale raffle tickets to every available female in the room for his affection than spend a single solitary second with me. I can’t breathe in this dress, my feet have blisters the size of moon craters on them and I have a migraine that could rival blunt force trauma to the head. You’ll have to excuse me if I could care less who you are in relation to anyone.”

I took a deep breath and studied his surprised expression. I’d never been so overtly rude to a complete stranger before but he’d picked the worst time to test his flirtation skills. The only ounce of satisfaction I felt was in the fact that I’d wiped that annoying smile clean off his face. For that, I was truly proud of myself.

“You know, it’s alright if you put away the penis repellant.”

“Excuse me?” I asked in disgusted.

“You heard me. I only came over to rest my feet, as I told you. So, please don’t flatter yourself on my account. It’s no wonder your date would rather have roaming eyes then continue to wait around for that cold exterior to melt. A word of advice the next time some poor soul tries being friendly with you: be a decent human being and not a frigid bitch. Enjoy the rest of the wedding,” he sneered and rolled his eyes.

I shut my eyes as I listened to the harsh scraping of his chair against the hardwood floor, indicating that he was leaving me alone. When I was sure he was within a safe distance, I opened my lids to watch his retreating back.

I stood slowly, trying to maintain some kind of dignity as my vision became blurred with unshed tears. I wasn’t easily broken by anyone but I’d had a hell of a day and the fact that a stranger had called me a proverbial ice queen cut right to the core.

To hell with the party and the guests, I thought. I’m outta here.

****

Jonathan

“Carson Palmer is a terrible quarterback.”

I gasped and laid a hand over my heart. “To make such statements is just…it’s…completely true. He is pretty terrible.” I chuckled and dropped my hands to my sides.

“I was about to wonder about you, but I’m happy to see I won’t have to have you committed.”

“Aw, I didn’t know you cared.” I batted my eyes and watched a brilliant smile engulf her face, illuminating her syrup colored eyes.

“I don’t,” she shrugged dismissively. “It’d be a civic duty I do, putting you away.”

“I guess it’s a good thing we have the same views then; although, I could probably find more clients in a psych ward. You’d be surprised how many times a day I end up being someone’s therapist.” I shuffled my feet as our pace slowed and we rounded a corner.

“Boy, you have no idea. I’ve dealt with crazy. If you ever meet my sister…well, let’s hope you don’t meet my sister. If there ever was a physical definition of crazy, she’s it.” Kaleesa giggled and it brought a smile to my own lips.

We’d been walking for a good twenty minutes before we fell into an uncomfortable silence. I hadn’t spent this much time with another female that I wasn’t related to or in love with in months. It was refreshing to be able to have a simple conversation with someone of the opposite sex without all the innuendos that would have thwarted getting to know each other.

“Ah, so you’re an identical twin then?” Bringing into question her sanity seemed to be another ice breaker. I tried to hide my smile but the disapproving look she gave me was too much.

“Very funny.” She rolled her eyes but that infectious smile wasn’t far behind.

“I have my moments.” I said proudly.

“Too bad this isn’t one of them.” She retorted.

I snorted and tucked my hands in my pockets as we began to head toward the back of the building where a fully flourishing garden sat unoccupied.

“Genes are a funny thing. I mean, look at me and James. Obviously we have similar features but our personalities couldn’t be more opposite.”

“I’ve noticed. He’s very…”

“Abrasive? Pompous? Reckless? Any number of these adjectives would describe my brother without being the least bit out of line.”

“I was going to say different,” Kaleesa laughed and sped up her pace in the direction of a gazebo fitted with soft hanging lights. When she reached the arch entryway, she turned and titled her head slightly. “But of course you do know him better than I do.”

“That I do, but it’s you I’d like to get to know.” I stopped in front of her and gave her my most charming smile. That was one thing I would agree to having in common with James: charisma. Although, I knew in which circumstances my allure was appropriate, unlike my brother.

“What is it you want to know?” She didn’t seem very thrilled with having me poke around in her personal life.

“Whatever you’d like to share.” I gave her a reassuring grin, hoping to calm her nerves.

“I’m not accustomed to telling my life story to a complete stranger.”

“Alright, well, my name is Jonathan Denson. I’m twenty-nine years old and my birthday is January 22nd, which makes me Aquarius. I graduated from Ohio State with a business degree and a business law degree. I love dogs and thought about getting one this past year—”

She waved her hands to stop my confessions and gave me a confused look. “Wait, wait, I thought you wanted to know about me.”

“I thought if I told you things about myself first, you wouldn’t think of me as a stranger.”

I would never get tired of watching that smile begin to form, brightening up her entire face.

“You’re a smooth operator.” Kaleesa shook her head but continued to grin.

“Are you a Sade fan?” I inquired, hoping to back into this getting-to-know-you game another way.

She raised an eyebrow. “What do you know about some Sade?”

“I know all about Sade! We go way back.” I began to side step back and forth, doing my best rendition of Sade’s hit song, Smooth Operator. Kaleesa could no longer contain her laughter as I did a spin and attempted to grab her to join me.

“Oh, no!” She began to back away with her hands up in warning. “You and those moves need to back up before you hurt someone.”

“Bet you’ve never seen moves like this.” I began to do the snake, snapping to a nonexistent beat. I was sure I looked as uncoordinated as Jackie Chan in Rush Hour, maybe even worse — but I didn’t care. The only thing that concerned me was making Kaleesa, who was double over in hysterics, feel comfortable. She was at the point where her laugh was completely inaudible and her body shook with laughter. Her eyes were closed, her arms were wrapped around her stomach and large tears were cascading down her rounded cheeks.

“Stop…stop, please. I can…can’t…can’t breathe.” She managed to wheeze out through her fits of laughter.

I stopped long enough to allow her to catch her breath and moved closer to her. “It was too much for you, huh?”

“Something like that.” She said as her laughter completely subsided and she whipped at the moisture on her cheeks. “I haven’t laughed that hard in…ages.”

Internally I was beaming with pride, but externally I kept my composure and gave her a small smile. “I’m happy to oblige if you need a laugh at someone else’s expense or you’re ever having a bad day.”

“You did prove yourself to very useful—” She was cut off by the slamming of an adjacent door and what sounded like a muffled growl in the distance. We both stopped and looked at one another. “Sounds like someone else isn’t having much fun.” She whispered as we continued to listen.

I was about to reply when the disgruntled person began talking to themselves in fast disjointed Spanish. I recognized the voice immediately and felt a surge of guilt. I hadn’t thought of Rochelle in the last hour since I’d been with Kaleesa. Even though I wasn’t on the best of terms with Rochelle, she was still my best friend and I couldn’t just abandon her when was obviously in need.

“It’s probably best to stay out of that person’s way.” She grimaced and turned to me for agreement.

Only half listening to Kaleesa, I turned and gave an apologetic look. “I should see if she’s alright. Could be a cousin with too many drinks in her.”

“You have a cousin who’s fluent in Spanish?” She gave me a knowing look that told me she knew who the person was and why I was so concerned. “I should head back anyway, about time to shut this baby down.”

I wasn’t sure if it was the change in mood but I thought I detected some disappointment in her voice. Mutely, I turned and headed in the direction of Rochelle’s bevy of muffled cursing and pacing. I stopped short when I heard her sniffle and treaded carefully as she came into full view. She began angrily wiping at tears she was unable to control. I knew this must have pissed her off more, besides whatever had offended her in the first place. The fact that she couldn’t control the emotions brought on by its catalyst was a trait in her I had always been baffled and annoyed by. It was ironic to me she couldn’t understand my feelings for her were uncontrollable and, at times, unwanted.

“Rochelle.” I said cautiously, so as not to scare her.

She whipped around quickly, her dark eyes ablaze and ready for a fight. When she realized it was only me, her gaze relaxed but turned cold and unfriendly.

“Yes, Jonathan?” She tried to hide her face.

“I heard you over here…wanted to make sure you were alright.” I looked around, possibly expecting to see Lamar somewhere in the vicinity but I was happily disappointed. “Where’s your date?”

She cleared her throat and wiped idly at a stray tear. “I’m fine. And as for Lamar, he’s really none of your concern.”

I nodded in understanding. I knew the guy was an idiot, I’d seen it the moment I’d laid eyes on him. Whatever he’d had inadvertently created the perfect situation for me. Although I never enjoyed seeing the people I cared about in pain, this was an opportunity to show Rochelle I was the better man.

“I’m sorry.” I tried to muster up some kind of sympathy for her state of distress, but honestly, all I wanted to do was say, “told ya so.”

Fortunately for her, I kept that to myself.

“No you’re not. Just stop acting like you’re sorry he turned out to be a complete waste of time. I’ve known you most of my life Jonathan. I can tell when you’re gloating.”

It was at times like this that I remembered Rochelle wasn’t just any old girl I was trying to impress or who didn’t know me well. She was my best friend. She knew me as well as a person could know another. I couldn’t hide my emotions from her, so why was I even trying?

“If you know me so well, why would you bother brining him at all? To my brother’s wedding? Really Rochelle?”

“Stop making this about you!” She shouted into the night air. “I didn’t invite him here to hurt you. I wanted a companion who wouldn’t suffocate me. I wanted to be around someone who didn’t make me feel like I’m in the wrong for not reciprocating his feelings. Just…just go away.” She waved me off and turned her back.

Her words had cut deep. I’d never asked her to reciprocate my feelings, only to give them a chance. Although, I guess I hadn’t really waited for her to get used to any of it. I’d been carrying around twenty years of pent of frustration and now that everything was out in the open, I should have been relieved. But all I felt was more guilt.

“I never pushed you! For twenty years, I kept my distance. I’m sorry about how it came to a head but I’m not sorry I got it out there. I’m not pushing you to do anything. I just want you to see that you don’t have to go looking for a good man. I’m right here.” I took a deep breath and deleted the pace between us, making sure to get close enough so that she would hear me as I spoke lowly. “Make sure you know what you’re doing, Rochelle. Keep pushing me away like this and you’ll get just what you ask for.”

I was tempted to touch her naked shoulder but resisted and stepped back to make my way to the front of the building. The urge to see Kaleesa’s face and hear her soothing voice came suddenly but passed quickly.

Tonight, I was going home alone.

****

Kaleesa

At twelve thirty on the dot, I did a quick dance when the last guest’s car taillights rounded the corner and disappeared. Thank you, God, I cheered silently.

Dios mio, is that the last of them?” I turned to see Rochelle exiting through the front doors of the reception hall, which was now completely silent. I could see no evidence of her having cried, of which I was relieved.

How could I pretend to care about the emotions of someone I knew didn’t much care for me at all?

“It is indeed.” I nodded and turned away.

“The clean-up crew will get anything we missed.” She said and stood next to me.

I wasn’t accustomed to having to speak to her one-on-one. Since my initial interview months ago, she’d pretty much kept her distance and I did the same. If we spoke it was usually business related and indirect.

I had no problems with Rochelle, at least until she turned those glaring eyes on me. I wasn’t sure of the cause of the contempt between us but if she wanted to play nice today then I could play nice as well.

“That’s good.” I waited a beat, wondering if we were going to make small talk.

“Everything went off without a hitch and I have to partially thank you.”

My eyes widened. This was more than she had ever said to me since I’d started working for Tayla. And I’d never heard her utter a single nice thing to anyone…let alone me. Maybe I’d been wrong about her. The stress of a wedding can put people in strange moods. Maybe she’s not so bad after all, I thought as I turned to face her.

“I was happy to help. Tayla’s a great boss and friend.” I smiled softly and was met with a pleasant surprise — her own smile.

“I know this is long overdue but I wanted to apologize to you for my rudeness during your interview. It was out of line and completely unprofessional.” She said apologetically.

I waved her off. “Completely forgotten. We all have those days.”

“You don’t even know the half of it,” she chuckled. “But I really do apologize. I hope that we can become…friends.” The way she’d said ‘friends’ had made me feel a little uneasy but I pushed the feeling away.

I hadn’t wanted to hold a grudge against Rochelle but somewhere deep inside of me I was a little disappointed that she was extending an olive branch. I’d gotten the impression the first time we’d met that once you got on Rochelle’s bad side, you pretty much had no hope of ever getting back into her good graces. Seeing as I’d never actually done anything to offend her, I could only assume she was just a straight bitch. Now, I was mentally recanting all of the mean things I’d ever thought about her.

“Of course.” I nodded and felt suddenly lighter. This was going to be a good thing, especially with Tayla gone the next week. We no longer needed her as a buffer.

“Good.” She smiled and began heading toward her car. “Well, I think it’s time for me to head home. We have some Maxwell business to discuss in the next few days but that can wait. Have a good night, Kaleesa.”

“You too, Rochelle. Good night.” I waved as I watched her saunter toward her car and get in.

When her engine roared to life and her vehicle began to move, I pulled my car keys out of my clutch and pressed the unlock button. I was about to reach for the handle when a hand cupped my elbow. I let out a quick shriek and whipped around to see John standing there.

“Jesus, John! You scared me half to death!”

He held up his palms in surrender. “Sorry. I just wanted to say good night before you left. Don’t go Taebo on me.”

I rolled my eyes and pressed my back against my car door. “You’re lucky I don’t know martial arts or it would have been your head buddy.”

“I don’t doubt that you could kick my ass.” He grinned and gently moved me aside to open the driver’s side door.

I paused, not sure what his angle was. “What are you doing?”

“Holding the door open for you. Making sure you get inside your vehicle safely. Being a gentleman. Take your pick.”

“You’re just too much.” I shook my head in amusement and finally settled into the seat. I reached out to close the door without a word. I stuck the key in the ignition and waited for the car to come to life, all the while averting my eyes away from his probing gaze through the glass.

Finally having had enough of being scrutinized, I rolled down my window and stuck my head out. “Thank you, John. Good night.”

“Good night, Kaleesa. See you soon.”

I bit my bottom lip and contemplated whether or not to reply as an attractive single woman would to an attractive single man.

What the hell, I thought. You only live once.

“Looking forward to it.” With that, I put the car in drive and eased out of the parking spot. Once I was a good distance away, I took a look in my rearview mirror and could still see his pristine smile as I drove off into the night.