Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Time for the gang to mingle and of course eat. We get a glimpse into the dynamics of several relationships. 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.  

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 19 

“Camille can you show Rielle where she can leave her things and maybe give her a little tour of this wing of the house?” Jarrod asked cordially.

Rielle felt the other woman tense when their host said her name and looked over at her curiously not seeing anything unseemly in his request. She went with the other woman unaware of the turmoil she had left behind in K.C. Georgie tagged along and the two women took Rielle to a spacious cream and aqua decorated bedroom with a large mahogany bed.

On their return they met Michael dressed in a yellow camp shirt with palm fronds and white shorts coming out of what she now knew was the kitchen with two glasses filled with what looked like fruit punch.

“Hey guys drink up Mrs. Mac wouldn’t let me spike it so you don’t have to worry about driving afterwards.” He said laughing and K.C. did the introductions.

Michael Hernandez proved to be a big flirt showing off cute dimples as he charmed all of the ladies and Rielle caught a sideways look that Georgie sent him as he talked about how much he was enjoying the island and wanted to get some snorkling and scuba diving in before he had to leave.

"You really need to talk to Bryan, Camille's brother was practically born in the sea." Georgie offered.

 Michael's eyes warmed as he looked down at the beautiful blonde who looked like a goddess in her red dress.

"That sounds like a plan." he replied showing off his sexy dimples while flashing a white toothed smile. 

His tall muscular frame and dark good looks were very appealing and Georgie who hadn’t been involved with anyone in six months was not subtle in her appreciation. She had been focused on helping her sister to plan and execute her wedding which had been quite the production and that had consumed the rest of her time when she wasn’t at work.

They had all been concentrating on their careers and just enjoying hanging out with each and dating occasionally. It was ironic that things seemed to be changing for all of them except Camille in the relationship department.

K.C. had been correct when he said Jarrod was not into formality and they were witness to this when they met the petite woman who reigned over the state of the art kitchen.

Between the commercial grade appliances, travertine floors and granite counter tops in the large kitchen Mrs. Gwen MacFarlande known as Mrs. Mac was queen of all she surveyed. The sixty something year old woman was originally from Trinidad and had immigrated to the island with her husband to better their lives as well as those of their children.

Mr. Mac had died several years ago and the children were now grown and having children of their own. Mrs. Mac had  become an institution on the island, famous for her West Indian cooking. Jarrod had met her on one of his trips to the island before he made it his home base and once he did knew he had found the perfect person to look after his home when he was absent and cook when he was there.

Jarrod had become not only an employer but like a member of her family, it was so funny to see the big man being bossed around in his own kitchen by the petite general. All of the men were roped into taking the aromatic food in colorful stoneware bowls to the large mahogany table set up on the wide patio. A fabulous view of the ocean was framed by a lower level garden of orange and hot pink bougainvillea, palm trees and local sea grapes.

The view

While they were doing that Jarrod left to let in Andrea who looked cool in an emerald green batik print short dress, gold ball studs in her ears and brown thong sandals. Several more people showed up including Bryan and Rielle looked at Camille who was failing miserably to appear innocent of any matchmaking.

Bryan

Rielle had always considered him sexy, with a smooth brown complexion,  shaved head, slanting eyebrows over dark brown eyes and a broad mouth that had the girls in school going crazy when he pick up Camille in the afternoons. The small diamond earring in his left ear and well muscled body had given all of her friends something to talk about.

He was more than a handsome face and proved that when he came back after college at UNLV with his degree in hotel management and his internship completed in Hawaii just as they were getting ready to go away to college.

The girls had returned every holiday and Bryan had never made a move but Rielle got the feeling that he wasn’t going to wait any longer as he stared at the lovely young woman.

She mingled with the other guests and Rielle found herself in the same circle with K.C. and she tried not to stare too hard at him when he laughed at some joke Georgie made. Rielle envied the blonde beauty her ability to be comfortable in any social setting but then she had come from a long line of hostesses.

Rielle’s resolve firmed that she would go out with K.C. and enjoy herself right then and there because life was really too short. After the breast cancer episode with her mother she knew that better than anyone.

The twenty or so other people had arrived fifteen minutes later and Jarrod used a spoon against a large white mug to get his guests attention. 

“I want to thank all of you for coming to welcome two of my closest friends K.C. and Michael to the island of St. Sebastian. I remember coming here myself for the first time and thinking that I had never met so many genuine, kind people and I know that you will treat them with the same hospitality that you showed a wandering soul.” He said meeting all of his assembled guests’ eyes.

"Oh no he didn't." Rielle heard Camille whisper over the cheering of the group. Her behavior was no longer bordering on strange it was strange and Rielle didn't know what to make of Camille.  

Mrs. Mac served them and the creamy roasted pumpkin soup in large mugs was a flavorful starter and everyone milled about whether at one of the tables scattered on the spacious pool deck area or inside by the dining room.

The soup was followed by a delicious pelau which was a Trinidadian take on a jambalaya with chicken, brown rice, pigeon peas, coconut milk, carrots, pumpkin, curry and a little Scotch bonnet pepper.

“Just enough pepper to let you know you’re alive but not enough to put hair on your chest.” Mrs. Mac said with a sly smile as they stood with their plates obediently waiting their turns.

“I have it on good authority that the ladies don’t like hair on the chest Mrs. Mac.” Michael protested and everyone laughed. This was served with a shrimp, mango, and jicama salad with pineapple vinaigrette and people were seated outside on various pieces of lounge furniture taking in the glorious sunset and eating.

Gabrielle and K.C. exchanged a secret smile at the similarity of the meal to what they prepared for lunch and that gesture was seen by a few people. Rielle had to smile again when she saw for desert they had a choice of mango, pineapple, passion fruit or coconut ice cream from her parents’ store and everyone clamored for their favorite flavor.

K.C., Michael and Jarrod did get to talk to Bryan about setting up a dive and Rielle looked across the pool to the ocean where she could see lightning flashing on the dark water.

Rielle had wandered down to the waterfall enjoying the night sounds and the smell of the ocean wafting on the breeze. A set of steps led down to a stretch of golden sand on one of the few private beaches on the island. 

“There’s nothing like picking a ripe banana or pineapple fresh from the orchard and enjoying it for breakfast on the patio.” Jarrod said coming to stand behind her.

“It must be really nice. The property is breathtaking Mr. – Jarrod thank you again for inviting me to your home.” She said turning to meet the gaze of her handsome host bathed in the light of the full moon.

Jarrod looked down into the open face of the young woman that K.C. had shown such an interest in, glad that his friend was moving on from that tramp Tiffani. There had been a coldness that the other woman had kept well hidden from everyone but Jarrod had observed it when they had their engagement party and when no one was looking her mask had slipped.

He was very much a people watcher and what he had seen in Gabrielle Hall previously made him feel confident in his friend’s choice this time.

“I’m glad you're enjoying yourself Rielle. I ordered that sunset just for you since I understand you like them so much.” He said offering her a friendly lopsided smile.

“I wonder who could have told you that?” she replied cheekily and he saw past her obvious physical beauty to her lively spirit.

“K.C. is good people and so are you. I think you’ll be very good for one another.” He whispered conspiratorially as K.C. stalked over to them.

The look on his face said that Jarrod should get his own woman and leave his alone and Rielle watched the unspoken communication between the two men as Jarrod walked back up the steps to the main wing of the house. 

"I thought the two of you were close?" she said with an expressive eyebrow arched as she reached out to touch his chest and saw him inhale.

"We are, but that doesn't mean  I'm going to let him romance my woman with his big pool and bigger house." K.C. answered and  Rielle's laughter floated back to the house.






Chapter End Notes:

Things seem to be going well for everyone but Camille. There will be a confrontation between two of the women and a few questions are finally answered.