Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Frederika Whitfield extends an invitation to Gabrielle. Rielle tries to make sense of what is going on and makes a decision.

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Rielle looked at Marcus’ retreating back with a stricken expression on her face. She had not expected him to attack her like that and she frowned wondering if he was right. Was she making too big of a deal about this whole thing?

~*~

“Gabrielle don’t let what Marcus said upset you. You are entitled to your feelings but don’t let that stand in the way if you really do love my nephew. Keep an open mind when you do speak with K.C. and remember that he was in the dark about what happened on St. Sebastian.” Frank told her wisely before leaving.

~*~

Rielle leaned against the door looking across the room at the bed she and K.C. had shared this morning. She had been so happy and oblivious she thought as the air conditioning cooled her skin.

Her emotions were all over the place and she didn’t know what to think as she walked over to the window to stare out at the Detroit Riverfront.

Detroit

It wasn’t the same as being able to look out at the turquoise water of the Caribbean Sea instead this water reminded her of the blue of K.C.’s darkened eyes after they had made love and she felt a tear slide down her cheek.

Her heart was heavy as she wiped at her face. K.C. could have told her the truth about his mother right off the bat and there wouldn’t have been any of this drama. But if he had told her then what would her reaction have been?

Rielle knew she hadn’t been looking for a relationship and if K.C. had told her everything at that point she might have chosen not to even give him a chance. Their relationship hadn’t been all milk and honey but the major philosophies of their lives meshed and one of the things that she loved about him had been how close he was to his family.

She liked that they all called each other for not only work related issues but personal ones as well several times a week. Rielle had overheard him talking to both of his grandparents on a number of occasions as well as Marcus who was house-sitting for him.

She had even spoken to his sister briefly once when he had been in the shower and he had told her to answer his cell phone. The sound of a light feminine voice had been enough to cause a surge of jealousy to course through her until the caller had asked to speak to her brother.

She had spoken to the other woman about the island and the different culinary events that took place and Rielle had told her that she should really come down for a visit. There had been a slight pause before Danni had replied that maybe she would when she finished culinary school and K.C. had come out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his lean waist and that had been the end of their conversation.

In hindsight she might have pressed the issue more but she had let the opportunities slip through her fingers and now she didn’t know what to think. So Rielle did the only thing she could think of and walked back into the room grabbed her cell and called her mother.

~*~

It was a Saturday which was usually one of the busier days for the ice cream store and today was no exception but when Magdalena heard her daughter’s voice she left the front counter where she was and went out into the small courtyard area behind the store.

“Mi hija what’s wrong?” she asked and that was all Gabrielle needed to pour out the entire story.

~*~

When she revealed who K.C. mother was she heard her swift inhale but nothing else until she had finished and she was glad her mother was such a good listener. There was silence for a moment as her mother digested what Rielle had told her and then Magdalena finally spoke.

~*~

“Well this is something I never expected to hear. You say his mother is Frederika Leon, I would never have guessed that. So what are you going to do? You still haven’t spoken to K.C. and it wouldn’t be right if you didn’t give him a chance to explain.” Her mother said in a logical tone of voice which shocked her.

~*~

Rielle had thought for sure that her mother would take her side in this situation and she was even more confused now.

“Mama I thought you would be going crazy, cursing him out in English and Spanish. K.C. may self identify as white because of his appearance but he is just like me and he didn’t say anything about it." Rielle said angrily.

"I’ve said repeatedly since he suggested I meet his parents that I was nervous and he could have eased my mind considerably. That is lying by any definition right or did I miss something? Am I wrong to be angry?” she asked puzzled by this turnabout.

~*~

“On the matter of his mother and by extension K.C. being biracial I can understand why he might have hesitated to mention it when you were first dating. After seeing how we live though I’m not quite sure why he kept it to himself, St. Sebastian is a melting pot of races and most of our family and friends are mixed also." Magdalena told her daughter. 

"I’m not really sure what his thinking was on the issue but remember he’s lived in the States all his life where people hold a more ‘traditional’ view on race and I’m sure he’s seen for himself just how cruel people can be.” Magdalena said sympathetically.

She had a few experiences of her own as a Puerto Rican woman when she and Graham had lived in Savannah and even though he had been a big basketball star she had heard comments by even some of the staff about their marriage.

“What Frederika Leon suffered was heartbreaking and you tell me that K.C. didn’t know until around Carnival time that means he’s just barely had time to face the fact that his mother was raped as a young woman. I would imagine that he wanted to speak with her before he even broached the subject with you, so I can understand that point. For that reason alone I’d think you’d be willing to hear K.C. out.” Magdalena replied reasonably.

She was attempting to play Devil’s advocate and not be reactionary in the midst of a situation that did not need more fuel thrown on the fire.

~*~

Just then there was a knock on the door startling Rielle who had been totally absorbed in the conversation with her mother.

“Mama there’s someone at the door give me a minute.” She said and went to answer the door.

It was a shock to see K.C. standing there looking down at her his expression grim and his blue eyes looked not only stormy but suspiciously red while his hair looked like it had been run through by impatient hands a lot.

Rielle told her mother she would call her back absently closing the phone with a snap her hand holding onto the doorknob for dear life. She could see the pain in his eyes and her heart ached for him especially after the conversation with her mother.

She stepped back silently so that he could enter the room, but he shook his head and Rielle felt her heart drop unsure what his refusal meant.

~*~

“My mother would like you to have dinner with us tonight at seven if you don’t have any plans and afterwards she’d like to speak to you privately.” He told her and not only did he look rough but his voice did too.

~*~

Rielle couldn’t make her own voice work and she nodded her head jerkily before he turned to walk away.

“K.C. please wait, can we talk?” she forced out, her eyes pleading with him.

~*~

He swung back around to face her, saw the expression on her face and wanted to, but after talking with his Uncle Frank decided that the best time to talk would be after she’d heard all of the facts. 

K.C. shoved his hands into his jeans pockets fighting the urge to touch her which would just be a distraction from the issues they had and he didn’t want to do that anymore. He needed to man up and face the fact that he was responsible for possibly sabotaging the best relationship he’d ever had in his life.

“Let’s just wait until after you speak with my Mom or we’ll keep rehashing the same issues. We will be having drinks in the Presidential suite first and we can talk after dinner if you still want to.” He said quietly.

He tried to ignore the way hope dimmed in her eyes and he wanted to tell her that he loved her but didn’t think it would be a good idea and might actually just anger her.

K.C. had talked to his parents for hours after he went upstairs earlier and he had told them about meeting Gabrielle and except for the intimate details they knew everything about the relationship. They also now knew how serious their oldest son was about Gabrielle and were very interested in spending some time with the young woman.

He had hesitated to talk about how much he enjoyed life on the island but his mother didn’t seem to be surprised.

“I’ll call to make sure you’re ready before I come down to get you. I’ll see you later.” He said and this time she didn’t try to stop him from leaving.

~*~

Rielle closed the door when he rounded the corner out of sight his easy athletic gait making that quick and she exhaled wondering as she went to sit on the bed if they could get past this.

She didn’t want this awkwardness between them and she hated seeing the sadness in his eyes and not being able to comfort him.

Rielle sad

She undressed and sat on the bed, going over what had happened today and fell into a restless sleep. She woke with the beginnings of a headache caused by the emotions that was still pent up inside and knew that if she wasn’t careful it might turn into on a blinding one.

 Rielle checked the time and saw that she’d slept for about two hours and it was now a little after five.

Angel in the blue dressShe went to her suitcase and pulled out the one outfit that she hadn’t worn which was a navy matte jersey one shoulder dress with shirring around the waist that she hadn’t gotten to wear.

She took a warm shower hoping that it would help to alleviate some of her stress and tried to do something to her hair before deciding to leave it long and loose. Rielle applied blush, lipstick along with eye shadow and a light coat of mascara before spraying on her favorite beachy fragrance. She put on her black peep toe pumps and slid gold hoops into her ears.

Rielle had just finished when she heard the ringtone for K.C. and she hurried to answer it taking a second to compose herself before she pressed the button.

“Hello?” she said softly and there was a pause for a moment before she heard K.C.’s voice.

~*~

“Are you ready Gabrielle?” K.C. asked and his voice sounded a little strained.

“Yes, you don’t have to come for me. I can make my way up.” She offered not wanting to take him from his family.

“I thought you would say that.” He replied and hung up the phone.

It shouldn’t have surprised her when there was a knock on the door; she grabbed her purse and shawl before opening the door to find K.C. standing there.

He wore a black long sleeved shirt and grey pants, his shoulders had never seemed so broad and his blonde hair still was tamed but his expression was resolute.

“Hi.” she said quietly as his eyes took in her appearance and she saw his mouth tighten as he took her in.

“Let’s go.” he finally replied his blue eyes unreadable.

She had thought of something while getting dressed and went to the small desk to pick up the bag with the presents for his parents.

“I’m ready now.” Rielle told him with a brave smile.

~*~

He was silent as they walked the long hallway to the elevator and K.C. kept his hands in his pockets until he needed to press a button on the elevator pad because she was too tempting by far.

Gabrielle

The dress clung in all the right places and the color was incredible on her. He knew it hadn’t been her intention to remind him of what he could be losing but that was the effect all the same.

K.C. couldn’t even begin to think of what he would do if she left him.

~*~

Rielle had seen his eyes narrow when she opened the door and she had felt a tug in her heart but also a little lower seeing how handsome he looked, the attraction that had brought them together very much evident.

Her stomach was tied in knots by the time they arrived at the penthouse suite and her tentative smile faltered a little when Marcus was the one to open the door.

He looked at her with a serious expression and Rielle knew he had not changed his opinion; he was firmly on his brother’s side as he stepped back for her to enter.

~*~

“Hi Gabrielle.” He said in greeting.

He had finally been told by his father what had occurred to Frederika as a young woman and he was even angrier than before.

His mother would not be happy to know that he had acted like a jerk to his brother’s girlfriend however and he had to remedy that quickly. He did not want to be the cause of anymore pain for his mother.

~*~ 

“Hello Marcus.” She replied walking into the spacious suite.

Marcus

He looked very handsome in a maroon shirt and grey pants and she saw two jackets tossed onto chairs in the living area.

The room took advantage of the beautiful city of Detroit below with large windows. There were several different styles of chairs in ecru and pale teal suede, a thick carpet that repeated those colors and low walnut tables with heavy looking crystal figures.

the room

~*~

“My parents will be here in a moment but before they join us I wanted to apologize for going off on you earlier. I saw how happy K.C. was when he came back stateside in May and I just want my brother to be happy like he was then.” He concluded heavily indicating that she should sit.

~*~

Rielle nodded in understanding knowing that she would be the same if it was her brother. K.C. had gotten her a soda water and caught the tail end of what his brother was saying and frowned at Marcus, but didn’t make a comment.

~*~

“Uncle Frank will be here shortly.” He told her when he saw her eyes wander around.

K.C. in black 

She took the glass from him gingerly afraid to touch him and he frowned down at her for a moment.

They heard a door open and close and the trio turned to see Frederika and Colton come out of what she assumed was a bedroom and Rielle was once again in awe of the gorgeous older couple.

Frederika wore a beautiful high halter necked purple satin dress that showed off her still youthful figure with bronze high heeled sandals and her husband was handsome if a little worried looking in a charcoal suit with a grey linen shirt that made his eyes seem bluer.

Rielle was glad she had chosen to dress up; next to the effortlessly stylish Frederika she didn’t feel so plain.

"That purple is beautiful with your complexion Mrs. Whitfield." Rielle told the other woman appreciatively.

“Thank you, K.C. told me it was your favorite color and I can see why although that blue is beautiful on you Gabrielle, you look lovely.” Frederika replied with a genuinely pleasant smile.

Colton & Frederika

Rielle thanked her for the sentiment and remembered that she had the gift bag sitting on the chair and quickly handed it to K.C.’s mother.

There was a knock on the door and Marcus went to let Frank in while K.C. who was acting as bartender got drinks for his uncle and parents.

They were very pleased with the gifts that she had picked, both expressing their thanks and Frederika slipped the gold bracelet on her wrist, showing it off to her husband, younger son and brother before they all sat down.

~*~

“So Gabrielle, Frank and K.C. have been telling me that life on St. Sebastian has changed but I see Gold Coast Jewelers standards have remained high. I remember wishing I could get just about anything in their beautiful window display. Do they still decorate the inkberry tree for Christmas and give out the hard candy?” she asked with a smile.

“Yes they do. Nowadays they also host an annual party the first Saturday in December and they have a raffle that everyone hopes to win. The parish decoration competition has gotten to the point that they have an outside judge come in. All of the vendors on the island do something special and we make a peppermint ice cream at my parent’s store that everyone loves.” Rielle told her proudly.

“I remember Tropical Delights having the best coconut ice cream and your Dad working there as a kid, so he took over from Mr. Godfrey after he retired from the NBA. How are your grandparents by the way?” She asked with a smile that reminded Rielle of her son.

She was relieved that Frederika had some good memories of her home and Colton finally said they needed to go.

~*~

The polite conversation continued over dinner and Rielle did not suffer any repercussions from the incident earlier. It was difficult to fully enjoy the delicious meal though considering the undercurrents in the air but she did her her part to keep the mood pleasant.

It was as they were going back up in the elevator the silence was broken by an unexpected person.

~*~

“I think I’d like to spend a Christmas on St. Sebastian again.” Frederika announced in a quiet voice.

The men were as surprised by her announcement as Rielle was and no one reacted at first.

“The hotel should be open for business by then maybe we can take a trip and make it a family Christmas vacation. Melina has been asking about going to the island for a while. And I know the kids would love it. But are you sure this is what you want?” Frank said recovering first.

He turned to look down at his sister with an encouraging smile on his  handsome brown face remembering how they had left everything they owned on St. Sebastian as well as distant relatives and friends.

Frank

He had wanted to take a trip back home for years but would never do so without telling Frederika and she had never seemed receptive to the idea.

~*~

Frederika

“I think I’ve let my past dictate enough of my life. It’s time to really start moving forward and the only way to do that is to confront this issue." she said focusing on her brother.  

Frederika could see now that she had wronged all of them by not facing the rape sooner. She had inadvertantly robbed them all of the beauty that was St. Sebastian, from its people to the diverse and rich culture. 

It was something that they would all have to face however and there was no time like the present to start the journey.

"I need to speak to Gabrielle now.” Frederika replied bravely seeing the concern on the faces of the men around her.

~*~

The men went to the suite where Frank was staying while the two women took over the Presidential suite and Rielle followed Frederika to the teal sofa.

She tried to keep her face neutral as the older woman began to speak almost like someone reporting a story.

“Frank and I were raised by a single mother in Wickham Parish and I can still remember our little gold house on the corner. My mother, Miss Ramona was really strict and I guess she felt she had to be since my father had come to the States and never returned. We were never sure what happened to him and even after Colton and I were married and I was able to do so I couldn’t find him. I was kept close to home and only really allowed to go out to church and the occasional school program." K.C.'s mom began softly.

Rielle smiled knowing that was how some of her students were still being raised.

"It was my senior year and I pleaded for months before the graduation party to be able to go. I hadn’t been allowed to go to prom and I even got Frank and my favorite teacher in on the asking hoping it would make my mom let me go. Needless to say my grades were the best and I babysat for months just to be able to pay for a store bought dress, but my Mom had final approval. We finally settled on this green and blue plaid dress with puffy sleeves. ” Frederika related quietly smiling softly with memory.

“I was over the moon when she finally said yes and all of my friends knew. I wasn’t allowed to socialize a lot but Patrick Roebuck was my polar opposite. His family was well off, his father was actually a high government official with some serious ties in the community and he was white." her voice and expression was now neutral.

"There was never any doubt as to what happened although I have no memories past arriving at the school cafeteria; there were even witnesses that saw Patrick slipping something into my fruit punch at the graduation party. Apparently he had not been happy that we shared the top honors at school and he was determined to get back at me. He got me drunk and took me to his cousin’s house. He- he raped me.” She said haltingly her eyes a dark chocolate.

~*~ 

Rielle went to the bar on shaky legs, got a bottle of water and a glass and took it back to Frederika. She took a long drink and then stared down at the glass before she rested it on the table in front of her.

“All I could remember was waking up in the speeding police car on the way to the hospital wrapped in a blanket. I was so sore between my legs and I was still groggy but I remember the female police officer looking at me with pity. She knew that I would be blamed for this, even though he had boasted to some of his white football teammates that he would get me back. I was the nobody black girl who had edged him out of valedictorian.” She whispered shaking her head in disbelief.

“My mother went to the police station early the next morning when I missed curfew. The police got pointed towards Patrick after a few people remembered seeing us leaving together. They couldn’t find him at his parents’ home and they tracked us to his cousin’s house and broke into the bedroom he had me in." she stopped to take a sip of her water her throat dry like dust.

"Patrick was coming out of the bathroom and I was passed out on the bed and the police woman told my mother that he had a smirk still on his face while he was being handcuffed.” Frederika said and Rielle’s heart broke as two  tears trailed down her lovely brown face.

“That police officer was threatened and badgered until she left the island afraid for her life. We were all afraid to leave the house and I would go to the beach early in the morning with Frank as my protector. He’d grown up a lot that summer and was getting into a lot of fights because the other boys were calling me names. Even some adults did, and on island there's nowhere to go, everyone had heard what happened to me." Frederika said tightly and Rielle nodded knowing just what she meant.

"I almost walked into the water one morning just to make it all stop. I was so ashamed and then I got a letter from the school I wanted to go to saying that my scholarship had been revoked. I knew I couldn’t stay. Patrick was slowly taking everything from me and I couldn’t handle it any longer I ran away. After I talked to my mother, I went to my favorite teacher who helped us to get one way tickets to Florida to some people she knew. We left before the trial even started.” Frederika recounted and Rielle was crying when she finally looked up.

“I wanted to start over but I see now a part of me is still on St. Sebastian and always will be. I’m glad that K.C. found you Gabrielle. You are what he needs, I'm sorry I didn't see that before and I’m even more sorry I didn’t give you a chance.” She acknowledged softly.

~*~

Rielle felt the tears falling faster the more she tried to hold them back and she finally caved in allowing all of the bottled up emotion to escape.

Frederika opened her arms to embrace Gabrielle and both women cried, sharing what was a cathartic moment.

~*~

Rielle cried for Frederika who had been brutally violated just as she was going from girlhood to womanhood. She must have felt like all of her hopes and dreams had evaporated with that act.

The young woman who had left the only home she had known to go with her family to the States had valiantly tried to keep her past a secret from everyone. She had succeeded in making something of her life and found love and had a family but she had never come to terms with what had occurred.

Rielle's tears were for the people that loved Frederika and had watched her suffer and had endured with her even though they didn't know the nature of her pain.

Rielle cried for K.C. who had found out the secret his mother had kept for years and been put in an untenable position. And finally she cried for herself because she had made a hard decision and would have to tell K.C. in a little while.

~*~

The women were sitting composed, talking quietly Rielle’s red eyes and Frederika’s husky voice the sole indications that something momentous had occurred when the men finally ventured into the room. 

~*~

FrederikaFrederika hugged the younger woman and whispered for her ears only.

“I don’t want to influence your decision, but remember take your time Rielle.”

~*~

K.C. saw that a bond had been forged between the two females and his hopes rose that he had not torpedoed his relationship with Gabrielle as he walked her back to the room.

He sat straddling the chair facing her while she perched on the bed with her hands knotted in her lap and he could see the exhaustion in her beautiful face.

K.C. stared at her pensively for a moment before he started speaking.

“I was afraid that if I told you the truth you would reject me. I’d had it happen before. People that I thought I could trust would disappear when they found out. It was wrong - I knew that it was as I got to know you better but despite all that I learned about you and your family I couldn’t shake the fear that I would lose you if you knew.” He finally said reaching out to touch her.

Having Gabrielle pull away from him made his heart sink to the pit of his stomach and he watched her get up jerkily from the corner of the bed.

~*~

She stood watching his distraught face and could read his mind and a small part of her wanted him to suffer for a second but he was doing that already without her adding to it.

“I understand now K.C., better than you think. I don’t blame you for not telling me what was going on because your hands were tied with the delicate nature of the situation.” She began reasonably holding his troubled gaze with hers.

~*~

“You can forgive me that easily?” K.C. asked with a frown.

He saw her shake her head, her long dark hair sliding like black silk over her slim tanned shoulders.

Rielle

~*~

“I can’t say yes to that as much as I want to. I like to think I would have been able to give you some information you might not have been able to get being that you aren’t from the island. Patrick Roebuck became an alcoholic and he slowly spiraled out of control before he eventually hanged himself about seven years ago and I don’t think anyone showed up to his funeral but his family.” Rielle informed him and watched the shock on his face.

~*~

“Does my mother know that?” he asked his mind racing with the implications.

“No, I didn’t think it was my place to tell her that the man who took away something very precious from her was so destroyed by his guilt that he took his own life. I thought it would be too much to burden her with that information.” Rielle said showing her sensitivity.

K.C. looked at her with appreciation, once again thankful that she was a part of his life. He could talk to his father and Uncle Frank about when his mother could be told her nemesis was no longer alive.

~*~

“K.C., I think you need to spend some time with your mother – your family period. Your Mom is really going to need your support and I think we need some time apart so that we can decide where we go from here.” Rielle told him breaking into his musings and all K.C. heard was time apart.

“I thought you said you could forgive me?” he said confused by her words.

K.C. serious

“I can forgive you but it will be hard to forget that you didn’t trust me with who you really are. I’m sorry K.C. but we need this time apart to – to decide what we really want out of this relationship.” She replied firmly.

~*~

"Hell no! I don't need any fucking time to know what I want! I love you!" he protested angrily.

K.C. got up and flung the chair out of his way, his eyes blazing as he advanced on her. His large hands had closed into big fists and he looked like ready to spit nails.

Gabrielle backed away from him warily having never seen this kind of behavior from him. She had seen him angry of course but it had never been directed at her.

K.C. saw her back up every time he moved closer and her green eyes were huge in a face that looked a little pale. He could also see the pulse beating wildly in her slim throat as she actually looked at the room door quickly before she refocused on his face.

~*~

Rielle had never been subjected to confrontational behavior like this before and even in school when she had broken up fights at school another teacher or a school monitor had helped her break them up.

Rielle

She was now very afraid that she had made a mistake by agreeing to meet him in her room without witnesses around. Especially since she was telling him something she had been fairly sure he would not want to hear.

~*~

K.C. realized that he was really frightening her and stopped moving taking a deep breath to calm himself before he destroyed what little faith Gabrielle had left in him.

"Gabrielle, I'm not going to hurt you. Look I'll stay right here." he said, his voice rough with emotion.

He had only wanted to touch her but he could see that was not what she thought as she continued to watch him warily. That knowledge caused any remaining anger to drain out of him just as quickly to be replaced by hurt.

"I would never hurt you Gabrielle. That would make me no better than the animal that forced himself on my mother. How could you think that of me?" he asked totally deflated that they had reached such a point.

K.C. held up his hands, just now realizing when he relaxed them that he'd formed fists. He could only imagine that he must look like a wild man, capable of anything if she was so afraid of him.

~*~

Her fear dissolved as she recognized that he was really hurt by this, but she was going to have to remain firm on this issue.

"K.C. I'm sorry but you were very angry with me and I had a right to be afraid. I think you should leave now." Rielle finally got out passed the lump in her throat.

~*~

Looking into his darkened eyes she knew he wanted to say something more, but seeing her face made him hold it in. He walked towards the door picking up the chair and righting it as he went.

He opened the door and turned to look at Gabrielle who hadn't moved from where she was with her back literally against the wall and she saw him blink as if he was seeing her for the first time. 

"I'm sorry too Gabrielle. I - I'm just so damned sorry." K.C. finally got out.

His blue eyes seemed to devour her as she stood there before he turned and left quietly closing the door behind him.

~*~

Rielle had thought she had no tears left but found that was not true as her vision became blurry. She cried because she was unsure where her relationship with K.C. would go now.

He was not the only one who had some things to work out. She did too.

There was one thing she knew and that was she wanted to go home and she wanted her family and friends. 

 






Chapter End Notes:

Did Rielle made the right decision? K.C. doesn't seem to think so but he will have to respect that she meant what she said.

Thanks for having patience with me and the next chapter won't take nearly this long... I promise. Speaking of too long I hope the chapter wasn't too much. I did try to break it up without doing a part one and two. Thanks to everyone that left a review it helped me to start the process of moving this story along.