Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Rielle and K.C. make a trip to spend Thanksgiving in Denver with their families.

This chapter is a little long but I didn't want to split it up so get comfy and enjoy.

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 47 

School finished half day on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and Rielle drove to her house with just enough time to shower and change clothes by the time K.C. picked her and Chris up on his way down the hill in the Rover.

The arrangements for Thanksgiving had been finalized two weeks ago and Carmel and Godfrey would arrive in Denver around mid-morning from Las Vegas. 

K.C., Rielle and Chris met Magdalena, Graham, Marielena and Carlos at the airport and the Aurora Enterprise G-5 jet took off at one thirty for the nearly six hour flight to Denver.

~*~

Frank had picked up Carmel and Godfrey Hall already at Denver International and taken them to his sister's home. Frederika had, not surprisingly broken down when she had finally seen the older but still familiar faces.

The educational system had been smaller when the Leon siblings were going to school and Rielle’s grandmother had been one of the younger more popular educators at the time.

Miss Carmel had been in the minority of people who had not judged her during the whole terrible ordeal. She had almost been fired from her position for her trouble and Frederika had always been grateful for Carmel’s support.

Tropical Delights had been a feature of the island’s schoolchild’s afternoon for many years and Mr. Godfrey as he was still called even to this day had been a big reason why. With his booming voice and rich laugh the big man had been nearly as popular as his wonderful ice cream.

Frederika and Frank had been no different except they had gone to the store on the occasional Saturday afternoon when their mother had finished shopping at the market. He had been one of Frank’s basketball coaches and inspired the young man so much that he had joined the service, something that had given him a sense of who he was.

K.C. had spoken to his father while waiting for Gabrielle and was relieved to hear that his mom had recovered from the emotional upset and was back to her normal self.

Frederika and Colton would be hosting the elders of the Hall/Lopez clan at their home and K.C. would have Gabrielle and Chris as well as his siblings at his home which was about a fifteen minute drive from his parents place.

~*~

The group had been a little quiet after the jet first took off until K.C. had mentioned that his mother would be surprised by the ice cream that the Halls had made especially for her. He knew his mother would appreciate it as well as the rest of his family.

The group on the jet was a well travelled bunch but this was a new experience for all of them all. The G-5 had overnighted at the airport and the crew had stayed at the Royal Poinciana Hotel while K.C. had called in a big favor with Mrs. Mac’s daughter.

He had asked her to make the pelau dish that he’d first had at Jarrod’s house which the male steward served halfway through the flight. The food really helped to break the ice especially for Carlos and Marielena who hadn’t tasted such a meal in a while.

“K.C. that was delicious and very thoughtful of you, thank you.” Marielena told the fair haired young man. 

Marielena

Magdalena had shared the details of his mother’s situation with Marielena last night and now she carefully watched K.C. who had captured her granddaughter’s heart and was fast doing the same for her.

She had never met his mother but she remembered how the island was back then. The population was West Indian by virtue of location but American too and straddling those two different cultures was not  easy. People always wanted to blame the victim in a case of sexual abuse however regardless and she could only imagine what Frederika Leon-Whitfield had endured as a young woman.

~*~

K.C. talked a little about his birthplace and Magdelena observed him closely to see any signs of homesickness but there were none. He wasn’t afraid to show his emotions and did so whether he was talking about football season which was really heating up now or giving Graham, Carlos and Chris stats about the aircraft.

Magdalena and K.C.'s relationship was doing well and she knew he and Graham were still feeling their way. It didn't hurt that he had apologized for not telling them that his mother was actually from the island.

She had told him that she understood the circumstances had made it difficult for him to speak about the situation considering how little information he had. She had graciously accepted K.C.'s apology but he had used his free pass with her and Magdalena had let him know that. 

Magdalena

Now she felt like she could turn her attention to getting Chris to settle down with a nice girl. She wanted her son to experience what real love was. She and Graham weren't quite ready for grandchildren yet, but she knew if Rielle and K.C. became even more serious and got married she wouldn't be adverse to the idea. 

~*~

Carlos also paid attention and he had seen the discreet glances that his granddaughter and Whitfield shared. He had talked to his son-in-law and grandson to get their thoughts on the young man who had made such an impression on his granddaughter.

Carlos had talked to Gabrielle a little during the time the couple was apart and he knew where her heart was and he only prayed that he was reading the look in K.C.’s blue eyes correctly and this relationship was something lasting.

He did not take lightly the fact that they were on a jet owned by Aurora Enterprise going to the States to spend Thanksgiving with his family. This was a very big gesture for a man to make and Carlos wondered what it would all lead to.

Aurora g-5 

The three women discussed the shopping they would be able to do at the Cherry Creek Mall and Rielle consulted her laptop to check store hours. They would be leaving Denver around mid afternoon on Sunday and any shopping would be done on Saturday.

Travelling to the States at this time of the year meant that they would have to wear heavier clothing but Rielle and her mother had deliberately packed lightly with lots of thin layers.

When they were an hour away from their destination one by one they all made the trip to the bathroom to put on their thermal underwear.

Rielle had gotten teased when she was going to college and her roommate who was from Chicago had seen her in the long johns but they had helped to keep her warm during many a cold winter.

~*~

K.C. had only walked with his laptop in a backpack along with a change of clothes and his wool jacket which he had brought down with him. He had no need to bring clothes since most of what he had on St. Sebastian was t-shirts and shorts. A far cry from the sweaters and heavy coats he would be wearing for the next few days.

“We’ll be going to my parent’s home which is in an area called Hamilton to have supper there. The drive is about a forty-five minutes from the airport to the house.” He told the group as the announcement was made that they were going to be landing in fifteen minutes.

The flight had been helped along by the fact that the private jet could fly higher than regular commercial air traffic so they arrived almost forty-five minutes earlier than was scheduled.

Colton and Marcus were kept informed of the plane’s progress by the pilots and would be waiting when the plane arrived with a burgundy Escalade and K.C.’s navy Range Rover to take their guests and luggage to their respective destinations.

The cold air slapped the group wide awake and even K.C. who had spent most of his life in Denver shivered when he felt the first blast as he stepped off the plane and helped Marielena off as well.

“I’m afraid that this may be one of the colder Thanksgivings we’ve had.” K.C. said as they walked the short distance to where the cars were waiting on the tarmack and they could all see their breaths.

~*~

Rielle shivered, the cold having crept into her bones even as she shouldered her overnight bag and drew the faux fur hood of her white coat closer to her face. While she was happy to have a change of scenery she couldn’t wait to get to the house and out of the cold which felt like it was seeping into her bones.

Rielle

K.C. kept it short when he made the introductions and his father and brother greeted Gabrielle with hugs and kisses and the rest of the group with handshakes. Two porters brought their luggage which was divided between the two cars and soon they were leaving the airport.

They drove through the busy streets of Denver and K.C. pointed out a few famous buildings.

Marcus who was driving had been playing a Bernie Williams CD softly and K.C. and Rielle were sitting in the back with Chris in the front passenger seat and Rielle watched her brother’s head bob to the salsa beat.  

Rielle was very thankful for the warmth in the Range Rover as well as the heated seats but she was still a little cold when they finally passed through a security gate.

“Mom had the chef make your favorite meal so the prodigal son will be eating the fatted calf tonight.” Marcus said jokingly as he drove.

Marcus

“Wait you mean they got Dani out of the kitchen? How did they manage that feat?” K.C. asked in surprise.

His sister's passion had always been cooking and she had been underfoot in the kitchen almost from the time she could walk. Dani had spent a few summers going to various countries including France and Italy to learn her craft and she was well on her way to becoming a chef of renown.

~*~

Rielle began to get excited hoping she would be able to get warm even if it meant finally meeting the rest of his family including his sister and grandparents. While David Sr. and Rae Whitfield sounded like a fun pair she was dating their grandson and she could only imagine what they would think of her.

Rielle realized that they had come off of the asphalt and were driving on cobblestone and she knew that K.C. could feel the shaking of her hands. It wasn’t from the cold because she had warmed up during the drive and had even loosened the grey cashmere scarf from around her throat although she still had on her matching grey gloves.

He gave her a reassuring squeeze and smile as they slowed to drive through a pair of tall wrought iron gates and Rielle was surprised by the sight of the huge house as they drove up behind the other vehicle. It looked more like something found in Europe with two wings flanking the main building, a large drive encircling a fountain and a landscaped front garden.

Whitfield house

The front double doors were hung with two large pine wreathes opened and closed as two men in coats came out. Rielle recognized Frank Leon but not the younger man.

The women were ushered into the house while the men would bring in their bags but Rielle wished she could have stayed to see the reunion of her father and Frank.

Frederika, Carmel Hall, an older white haired couple and a young woman who could only be Frederika and Colton Whitfield daughter were waiting in a large marble foyer.

The Whitfield's Foyer

The foyer was bright, warm and decorated with a large Christmas tree below a big, red bow centered at the top of a beautiful wrought iron double stair case that was draped with pine garland. 

“Welcome to Denver and our home. We're so happy to have you.” Frederika said warmly.

As usual she was tall and elegant, this time she was dressed in a simple dark chocolate  vest over a white shirt and black slacks.

Frederika

They took off their coats and two uniformed maids hung them up in a large closet beneath one of the staircases.

Rielle and her family greeted her grandparents whom she hadn't seen since her birthday and hugs and kisses were shared.

Frederika began making the introductions and Rielle met Dani who was about average height with long golden brown hair, dark blue eyes and a golden complexion who gave her a warm hug. She wore a simple bronze sweater with black pants and again Rielle saw how well they all wore their clothes.

"It's so great to finally meet you." she told Rielle with a smile on her pretty face.

Danni

The smile that had been on Rielle’s face faded slowly when she finally met K.C.’s grandparents both of whom looked at her with a knowing expression on their faces.

Rae had short white hair and bright blue eyes and was Dani’s height while David Sr. was tall with gray hair and glasses that did nothing to minimize his sharp expression.

Rae looked her up and down taking in the grey cashmere cowl necked sweater and black jeans tucked into black knee high leather boots.

“So Gabrielle, you’re the young woman who had my poor K.C. moping like his heart was going to break a couple of months ago. I’ve never seen him behave like that and now I can understand why because you’re absolutely gorgeous.” Rae Whitfield began just as the doors opened and the men walked in with the luggage.

Rae Whitfield

“So are you planning on trapping my grandson and giving me some great-grandbabies like that crazy Tiffani Hudson said? Because I gotta tell you I’m not getting any younger toots and I know after seeing you that the rugrats will be adorable.” She finished just as K.C. came to stand beside her.

Rielle was shocked and so was everyone else as they all stood looking at the smiling older woman in her hot pink tracksuit, everyone that is except her husband.

David Sr.

“I second that motion K.C., when are you gonna put a ring on it?” David Sr. asked fixing his grandson with a stern glare.

All eyes swung to K.C. who was about to say something when he got the most unexpected rescue.  

“I think K.C. will make the correct decision when the time is right won’t you son?” Godfrey answered in his deep voice as he dropped a heavy hand on the young man’s shoulders.

Godfrey Hall

He and Carmel had gotten to spend some time talking to David and Rae and found that they had common values even if they didn’t share the same economic circumstances.

Godrey and David Sr. were both former Navy sailors and they had briefly talked about their experiences. Carmel and Rae didn't really have much in the way of life experience to share but they both loved their families and had a zest for life. 

“K.C. knows what he has in Gabrielle and we can’t expect him to work on our timetable.” Carlos agreed as he dropped one of his hands on K.C.’s other shoulder.

Carlos Lopez

Rielle's gaze bounce between the hazel eyes of her Grandfather Godfrey and the blue eyes of her Grandfather Carlos wondering what was going on. She had hoped that they would eventually come to appreciate K.C. and what he brought to her life but she hadn't expected their support this quickly.

Her grandmothers had forged a deep and abiding bond years ago when their only children got married and she noted varying degrees of encouragement on their beautiful faces. 

Carmel

K.C. wondered if he was in the twilight zone and couldn’t believe that his grandmother had just done that to him after all of the long conversations he’d had with her about Gabrielle and their situation. He’d poured his heart out to her and for her to throw him under the bus like that in front of Gabrielle and her family was unbelievable.

“Mother, you’ll have our guests thinking we are a bunch of uncivilized people who eat our young. Please refrain from asking K.C. or any of the kids personal question at least until after Thanksgiving. You too Dad, you know better than to encourage her.” Colton said smoothly looking at his parents.

Colton Whitfield

He began escorting his grumbling parents into the family room where the meal was set up in a more informal setting than the dining room.

K.C. looked down at Gabrielle to see how she was taking all of this and was relieved to see that she seemed fine.

“I’m sorry about that, but my Grandma Rae is known for speaking her mind and there isn’t much that anyone can do to stop her.” K.C. said regretfully as he pulled off his gloves.

“I don’t need you apologizing for me K.C., I can do it myself.” Rae turned around to say when her sharp ears picked up her grandson’s words.

“I’m sorry if I made everyone uncomfortable asking the question that we all want to know. If my grandson can get his act together we will really have something to be grateful for besides the fact that he didn’t marry Tiffani, what did you call her Gabrielle, the muff muncher?” the feisty woman said and that was the final straw.

Rielle started laughing as this was said with a straight face by Rae and soon they were all laughing at this outrageous turn.

All of them except for K.C., who was now thoroughly pissed with his grandmother, he had told her all of that with the expectation that she would keep it to herself not tell everyone.

He stalked off to go into the game room rather than stay and say something he would surely regret. He didn't want to be disrespectful to his grandmother but she had gone too far.

Frederika wanted to go after him but Rielle stopped her before following him slowly looking around. This was another large room that had pictures of the family hung on the walls.

She found him looking down at the fireplace that was lit and decorated with garland, his hands shoved into his coat pockets and she went to stand by his side.

K.C. looked to see who it was and turned his face when he saw her.

“Your grandmother is every bit as feisty as you said she was.” Rielle said softly as he continued to stare into the fire silently after a few minutes.

“That’s one way to put it.” He said wryly drawing his hands from his pockets to pull off his black wool jacket.

K.C.

K.C. wore a hunter green cable knit sweater that made his eyes even bluer and a long sleeved black t-shirt beneath it with dark blue jeans and his hiking boots. The fire light brought out his tan and made his fair hair seem highlighted with gold.

“Did she give you the idea to write me the letter?” she asked turning to stare up at his profile and watched as he sighed deeply.

“Yeah, she told me how Grandpa wrote her letters during the war and it was what kept their love alive while he was stationed overseas. I wanted to give you something that you would remember as fondly as she remembers those letters." K.C. admitted looking at her with shadowed blue eyes.

"I told her everything about what had happened between us and I didn’t think she’d do me dirty like that or at least she would give me some kind of warning first, not just broadside me like that in front of everyone.” He said in disbelief.

Rielle raised her hand to rub his back in a comforting gesture and he turned to pull her into his arms as she waited for him to speak.

“I love you Gabrielle, more than I’ve loved anyone in my life before. I know what I had with Tiffani looked good on paper and seeing it from the outside it seemed good, but it wasn’t real. I also learned some things about myself since this relationship began and I know what I want.” K.C. said pulling back to search her green eyes intently.

“I want a woman who loves me for who I am, with or without all of the trappings and has my back through thick and thin. I made a stupid mistake and almost lost you and your love. But now that you’ve given me a second chance I don’t want to do anything that might scare you off.” He said taking a deep breath as she ran her hands over his chest.

“As long as you talk to me and don’t hide anything from me we will always be good. That’s the only time you scare me is when you internalize what’s happening and you get all silent and broody. I only want to help you.” Rielle said earnestly.

Rielle

K.C. raised his big hands to cup her face seeing the difference between their skin tones and thinking that it was amazing that this incredible woman could love him.

“I don’t want to rush you into anything but if I thought you would say yes I would have asked you to marry me when I went back to St. Sebastian and you forgave me for being such an asshole. Don’t ever think that I don’t want you to be my wife because I do.” He said quietly.

His heart was in his eyes as K.C. stared down at her and Rielle nodded; a small smile on her face as he bent slowly to kiss her plump lips and she raised herself onto her tiptoes. Their lips had barely touched and the fact that they were in his parents’ home was barely a factor for them.

~*~

“K.C., I think you are almost as good as your grandfather was with the words.” They heard a familiar voice say, interrupting their kiss.

Rielle heard him groan as he pulled away before his forehead dropped to hers in frustration and his arms tightened about her slim form.

“Grandma haven’t you done enough damage for the night? Are you trying to break us up or are you playing devil’s advocate because we could really do without the interference.” He said in a very put upon tone of voice.

He turned to find his grandmother in the doorway and he wrapped his arms around Rielle as he looked at the white haired imp who seemed determined to torture him.

“That’s what I came to tell you. I’m sorry K.C, Gabrielle; it was wrong of me to air your dirty laundry with the red headed witch, at least not before everyone had eaten their dinner. Then again it’s a good thing I got that off my chest. You know how holding stuff in gives me indigestion.” She said almost to herself before she remembered that she was apologizing.

Rae

She came further into the room and K.C. looked down, seeing the woman who had kissed his cuts and scrapes when he was a little boy and showed him how to dance, ski downhill and so many other things.

Rae and David Sr. had been a big part of his life and he was the man he was today because of all of his family but especially her. He sighed, not able to remain angry with her as she looked up at him with innocent eyes.

K.C. understood that while she was still a feisty old broad she was aware that she was closer to the end of her life than the beginning. Rae wanted him to be settled with a family of his own and he wanted to give that to her but he needed Gabrielle to be sure and he wouldn’t rush that process for anyone not even his beloved grandparents.

“Yes, Grandma and I wouldn’t want my second favorite girl to feel poorly.” He finally agreed with a twinkle in his blue eyes.

K.C.

He released Gabrielle and bent to give his Grandma a hug and she held on tightly for a few extra seconds before she let him go.

Rae peered around her grandson’s torso to look up at his beautiful, dark haired girlfriend and saw the young woman’s smile and returned it knowing that this was one to keep; she hadn’t taken any exception to her words in the foyer.

“I was always his favorite girl, even when he was engaged to Tiffani.” Rae said in a loud whisper giving Gabrielle a big wink.

“And I think I know why. I'll bet you encouraged that sweet tooth of his no end.” Rielle said in the same manner.

Rae’s smile widened and K.C. seeing it stiffened.

“Oh yes, I didn’t really like the red licorice, but chocolate is another story and I made sure he knew which was the difference between Godiva and Goobers. Now come on and eat so you two can go to K.C.’s house. I’m still hoping for some grandkids sooner rather than later whether from you, Marcus or Dani and that isn’t going to happen if you’re talking to me.” Rae said turning to leave the room. 

“Grandma, stop saying stuff like that will you. I’m gonna have a serious talk with Grandpa if you keep this up and have him take you over his knee.” He groused and wondered what incorrigible thing she would say next.

K.C. saw her turn and knew he had walked right into whatever it was. His grandmother was as sharp as they came and most of what she had said had gone right over Tiffani and her mother’s head. That would not be the same with Rielle and his grandmother seemed to be on a particularly raunchy tack.

“I’m so glad your Grandfather warms his hands before he applies the punishment now, although there is something to be said for a love tap from hands cold as ice.” She delivered smoothly before leaving.

Rielle choked on her laughter as she looked at K.C. noting the mortification on his red face.

“I think you need to let your grandmother win the battle and possibly the war.” Rielle advised wisely.

“Yeah, come on let’s go eat so I can get you to my house. I can’t wait to see how you look spread out on my bed. She is right about one thing though you are the best.” K.C. whispered his eyes darkening.

He bent to place what was supposed to be a quick kiss on her mouth but quickly changed into something more when her lips parted beneath his. If she had still been a little cold that was all gone now as she was warmed by K.C.’s kiss and Rielle felt her nipples getting hard again not from the cold but from the heat between them.

“If the two of you want I can always stand guard while you get it on.” said an amused male voice.

David Sr.

The pair sprang apart guiltily as they turned to see David Sr. standing in the door, a broad smile on his face. Rielle glanced up at K.C. and wiped at his mouth with her thumbs removing her lip gloss before they turned to leave.

They walked to the family room and she saw it too was decorated for the season and there was enough room for thirty people to sit comfortably.

Everyone was eating when they came into the room and Rielle and K.C. each grabbed a plate off of the table that was set up with the soup, salad and sandwiches. They put half of a gruyere cheese, tomato and basil sandwich along with a salad and a mug filled with corn and lobster chowder or potato and leek soup before turning to look for somewhere to sit.

Soup/salad/sandwich

There was a small table with two chairs vacant and the couple headed towards it as different snippets of conversation were going on around the large room.

Rielle was taking a bite of her sandwich when she noticed the look Chris was giving Dani and she glanced around to find David Sr. smiling at her. He apparently was of the same opinion as his wife with wanting great-grandchildren.

Frederika, Rae and Dani talked about what would happen tomorrow including the time and menu while they finished eating. Holidays were a big deal for the family and they spent most of the morning between the television watching the various parades or football coverage and cooking in the kitchen.

Each family contributed a few signature dishes that they made before coming over around noon to Frederika and Colton’s house which was big enough to hold the large family for the main meal.

It would have been easy for the families to hire a catering company to deliver the meal for that day but Rae had started the tradition with her sons and they continued it with their families.

Rielle saw David Sr. cover a yawn around 11:30 and soon the various boisterous conversations started to break up.

Frank who was making a lamb dish said he had to get some rest for all of the cooking he would be doing the next day.

Frank

Graham and Frank had been talking mostly to each other since they came into the house and Rielle was thrilled at the way the two men had reconnected.

Graham

Graham had managed to sneak the ice cream into a large freezer in the kitchen with the help of Frank and his oldest son Mariano who distracted his aunt when they first entered the house. Colton was now in on the surprise and he would somehow keep his wife from that particular freezer until after the meal tomorrow.

Rielle was also thankful that Frederika seemed to be coping so well with seeing a few familiar faces from her past and hoped that it would help for the upcoming trip to St. Sebastian to bolster her confidence.






Chapter End Notes:

Well I know Rielle and K.C. are both breathing a sigh of relief that so far this trip is going so well. Hopefully it will continue to be an enjoyable Thanksgiving.

With his grandparents around it will certainly be a very interesting holiday because apparently no one can rein them in!

Not even me! They are just running wild!

Enjoy and please by all means review.