Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Most of this story is written from Sam Winchester's point of view. This story is completed and it has ten chapters. 
   




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, I am not sure that is of comfort now.  I sat fluctuating between tears and curses as I watched my wife of five years fight for her life.  She looked pale beneath the white sheets despite her naturally tan skin.  The tubes in her arms pumped life-giving medicines through out her body.  But the sun outside the window mocked my sadness, my anger, my frustration and my attempt at calmness. I longed to kiss her soft full lips, to look into her golden hazel eyes.   I paced a few moments as I waited for Cassie and Dean to return my only child, one year old, Mackey to me.  I felt like I might suffocate when the thought of my three year old’s lifeless body came to mind.  Logan, my handsome son died in the car crash that put my wife, Lydia, in the hospital near death.  My heart raced when the anger built up inside me again, idiot drunk drivers.  I was about to take a seat again when my brother strode in the door with a determined look on his face.

    “Hey, we can keep Mackenzie overnight man, let us know.”
“Okay, I will maybe I will have her grandmother drop her off later.  Thanks,” I said as I attempted to smile at my older brother though there was no reason for a smile.  
Cassie came in with my daughter by the hand.  Dean and Cassie loved to practice with my children, now that they had one on the way.
“Thanks,” I said again as she gave me a hug.”
“Lydia will come out of this fine, you will see,” she encouraged me.  
The two of them had handled all the details for my son’s funeral the week before.  I still could not believe it had been a week since my child died, since my wife had lain in a coma on the edge of life, as we know it.

    My little sweetheart toddled to me with her hands out.  Her green eyes aglow with life and love.  Her little feet not quite steady as she got ahead of herself and almost fell.
“Daddy,” she said as I tried not to cry again for her mother, her dead brother.
My poor baby girl had no idea what has happening.  She just wanted me to hold her.  So I did. I held her close to my heart as I swore that we would all be all right.  We had to be.  If there were a God in heaven, he would do something to make up for what I had lost, though I had doubts lately.  I still prayed but I wondered if the prayers hit the ceiling now and again.  My child needed me to be strong; my wife needed me to be close.  I needed to live and give strength to those left behind.  But how did a father just let go of his son?  How did he move on when the love of his life was fighting for her every breath?

    Dean cleared his throat.
“So how is she?” he said as he brought a chair closer to the other side of the bed.
He could see in my face I had endured a long sleepless night, though all I could do was wait for the results from the doctors and the the medicine to do their work.  
“They say she is a fighter.  Her internal wounds seem to be healing slowly but they have hope.”
“That’s good news,” Cassie said as she looked down at her sister in law, a kindred spirit.  Not just because they were both of mixed racial heritage but they had become like sisters over the years.  Both having to deal with Dean and my long held attitudes about things.  

    The door opened again and it was Lydia’s mother, Kara, a tall dark woman with dreadlocks and a kind smile.  She had been a widow for over fifteen years and reminded me of Missouri with her wise eyes.  
“Hey Mom,” I said as Mackey, wiggled in my lap.
“Hey Sam, how you holding up?”
I nodded, “I’m good.”
Kara believed in the Supernatural because her youngest had been able to see ghosts as child.  She had done lots of study on the spiritual world and taught Lydia about it when she was young.  Lydia’s sister, Minnie, a psychic worked for the local police department in the small town in Arizona where they were raised.  Kara had told me after I met her that I was just what stubborn daughter needed in her life, a man that understood what she was all about.  

    We all talked for a bit about old times before the nurses decided the room was too full of people and they all had to leave.  I said my good byes and allowed Kara to take Macky home with her for the night, but Cassie and Dean would pick her up in the morning.  When the room was empty again I sighed.  Maybe I was a curse to all those around me.  Why had I taken the step into never land and gotten involved?  But I know why, I had fallen head over heels for a beautiful huntress, Lydia Evonne Caldwell.

***
    Five Years Before
    Dean and I had argued because I finally put my foot down about our wasting our lives by living in the past.  At first he had disagreed angrily, he yelled about how we were needed and the service we provided was vital.  When he ran out of steam it hit him that if I had no interest in continuing the fight he could go back to be with Cassie.  I shrugged at his revelation with the thought that he had to be joking.  The next thing I knew he had packed his bags and was headed out the door.
“You coming?” he asked as he stood by the Impala.”
I could only laugh.
“No I think I will catch a bus to New York maybe see Sarah.”
“Good idea bro, catch you on the flip side.”
I shook my head as he left, maybe I was dreaming because it all seemed surreal.  Mr. No Chick Flick moments, I do not need all the drama had jumped at the chance to head back to his old love.  I woke up the next morning to find that Dean was gone and I was truly alone.  It wasn’t a dream, where do I start?

    I paid online for tickets on Greyhound then went to diner for breakfast.  I spotted a small table near the back so I headed for it without paying much attention to the other diners.  Actually so much so that I bumped into the waitress.  
“I’m sorry,” I apologized to the tall auburn haired beauty that stared hesitantly at me as she righted her tray before the cereal bowl fell off.
“No problem,” she said before she passed me.
I felt light headed after the incident so I was glad to sit down.  I watched the waitress as she took care of the other table before she came to mine.  I realized right away that her hair was more brown than red but what held my gaze was her eyes.  Her golden green eyes that were prevalent among those of mixed race. Or so I had noticed.  
“Can I get you some coffee?” she asked as she held a pot in each hand.
“Sure, regular.  Thanks,” I said with a smile.
She poured the coffee quickly and accurately before she sat down the other pot long enough to put a menu in front of me.
“I’ll be back for your order in a sec,” she said before she walked off.  

    I read the local paper I had grabbed on the way in as I waited for my meal after I gave my order.  My mind kept wandering to the waitress; ever few seconds I looked up to see what she was doing.  She was slim, buxom and moved with grace.  She was friendly and easy going as she helped the other customers.  I bit my lip as I tried to be nonchalant in my observance of her.  Finally something in the news caught my eye.

HE’S BACK, THE SERIAL KILLER IS BACK
It has been six weeks since the last mysterious murder but last night they found a freshly mutilated cow in the woods.  Sheriff, Nathan Woodard, says he has no idea what to make of the latest victim.  This is the tenth cattle mutilation where no clues have been left that point to the perpetrator.  There are no prints, of any kind present at these scenes.  Local farmers are frantic.  More on the nightly news.


I was startled to find that the waitress was looking over my shoulder at the article.  She held my plate in one hand while the other was on her hip.
“Sorry,” she said when I looked up at her.
“No problem.  It is um disturbing to the locals no doubt,” I said to her.
“Yeah, everyone is afraid whoever is doing this will turn to humans next,” she said as she bit her lip showing even white teeth, though she had a slight overbite it didn’t deter from her beauty.  I tried not to stare.  
“I can imagine,” I replied as I salted my food after she sat it in front of me.
“I am sorry about earlier,” I added.
“Don’t worry about it,” she said with a smile as she left to go take her of the other diners.
Lydia, that was her name on the tag.  

    I hesitated as I pulled out my cell to call Dean.  He would want to know what was happening, I was sure of it.  He would see the same thing I had seen immediately, this could be a sign of the yellow-eyed demon.  We could not stop hunting if he was near.  I tried his cell several times but continued to get out of service messages.  I bit my lip as I considered phoning Cassie.  What if Dean was kidding, if he had not headed her way would it be cruel to call her only to find out he had changed his mind?  I took a deep breath as I took a chance.
“Hey Cassie.”
“Hey is this Sam?”
“Yeah.”
“What’s up Sam, do you need to talk to Dean?”
“Yes is he there?”
“Hold on.”
I sighed as I waited for what seemed forever.

    “Missing me already, Sammy?”
“You wish, hey Dean I have some news.”
“What’s up?”
“Cattle mutilations here where you left me, man.  A lot of them.”
We had only stayed the night there on the way back from California.  He was quiet for a long time.
“You there?”
“Yeah.  Are there any other of the signs?”
 “Not sure yet.”
“Let me know and I will come back, okay.”
“What about Cassie?”
“We are only just beginning to figure this out, but I think she would understand.”
“Good man, I hate to do this to you.”
“No, this has been our life; if we can end this by killing that damn thing then we have to do that.”
“Later.”

    That night I headed to the woods instead of taking the Greyhound to New York.  The desire to get the demon was fresh in my mind though I had a few doubts about going at it alone.  I took a deep breath before I stood on the edge of the area where the last cow was found when I heard something ahead of me.  I stopped behind a tree to see someone tall, but shorter than me, creep forward. The figure seemed slim and almost feminine.  They carried a backpack of some sort but it did not appear to slow them down.  Cat woman came to mind, maybe it was the all the black.  Black boots, black jacket, black jeans, black pack.  I stayed a few trees behind as I made sure I was the only one following the person in black.  

    Suddenly, there was a flash ahead of us, it was grey or it seemed to be.  Whatever it was had yellow eyes and was gone in an instant.  The person I had begun to follow stooped low, for a moment I thought they were in pain.  Then I saw there was something lying motionless on the ground.  He or she looked at the dead animal, that I could see now was another cow without touching it.  A second later, the person went flying against the large tree in front of her, before it hit the ground.  I pulled out my gun and raised it as I quickly checked the area.  No other movement, no more flashed of color.  What the hell was that?  Whatever it was had thrown the other person with some invisible force.  We both needed to be careful.  I went to them without another thought but kept an eye out as looked around aware that my EMF meter had not gone off.  This was odd considering the strange occurrence.   I checked the pulse of what I could see clearly now was a woman as she lie on the ground.  The woman was Lydia, the waitress from the diner.  I had hoped to go back the next morning to talk to her again because I had been attracted to her, immediately.  

    I picked her up carefully, she seemed unconscious from being thrown against the tree.  I took her to my rental car.  It was an older mustang, the last available vehicle they had at the rental place.  She began to come around while I attempted to put her in the small back seat.
“What are you doing?” She asked as she struggled in my arms.
“You are hurt, I am trying to help you,” I said softly to avoid agitating her further.
“Hey, you are the guy from the diner,” she said as I put her down.
I was distracted by her beauty all over again.  She looked up at me a bit unsurely.
“Yeah, I’m Sam Winchester,” I said as she looked with recognition into my face.
“Winchester?’
“Yeah, like the gun,” I said with a slight smile though I was uneasy about where we stood.
We needed to get out of the area not stand around talking.
“I can get in on my own,” she said as I helped her stand up.
She rubbed the back of her head.
I have heard of your family,” she said.
“Really?”
“You have a brother named Dean and your father is John.”
“Was…”
“Sorry, I did hear that you father had passed.  John and you boys are legends in the world of ghost hunters.”
I laughed.  Legends, more like causalities.  
“I have my own car, but thanks for the help.” she said as she began to walk away.  I didn’t think she should be alone.  Besides I wanted to talk to her, to find out what she was doing out in the woods.  Was she looking into the cattle mutilations?

    “We should get out of here, but can we meet up to talk about this?” I said as I pointed to where I had seen her.
“Um, I look into the same type of things that you do,” she said.
Of course having seen what she was doing I had figured that.  But I wondered why aloud.
“You do?’
She laughed.
“Well, Sam follow me I know of an all night diner.  Maybe we can compare notes,” she said with a smile before she walked away.

    I followed her to a Denney’s not far from the hotel and we walked in together.  After being seated at a booth toward the back, we both relaxed a minute after the waitress brought our coffee.
“You hunt?’
“Yeah, don’t seem so surprised.  Surely you know of women in the business,” she said with a smile.
“Well, actually I have met only a couple over the years,” I confessed.  
“There are more than you can imagine, Sam.”
She told me about being introduced into things involving the supernatural as a child by her mother.  Her grandparents were into voodoo in the South, though her mother disapproved of that type of spiritualism.  Her father had been a hard working maintenance man at the local high school until his death.  He had not shared his wife’s belief in the supernatural
It all started she shared when her mother’s sister had died in a mysterious fire when her eldest son was six months old.  Afterwards when her younger sister had begun to see things that no one else could and later read thoughts, Lydia had become a true believer.  
“Your Aunt died in a fire above your cousin’s crib?” I asked with the desire to make sure I had heard correctly.
She nodded, sadly.
“Do you know that is the same thing that happened to my mother?”
“I was aware, yes.  It is part of the Winchester story that has been spread about your family.”
I picked up the menu mostly so I could take all the information in.  Rumors of their family, people in the hunting community, I had only recently begun to understand that there were so many out there, knew about them.  The waitress came to stand by their table.
“Ready to order?”

    While they prepared our meal I was lost in my own thoughts when Lydia touched my hand.
“Hey, you okay?”
“Yeah. I was hoping that the cattle mutilations might be a sign we were finally close to the yellow eyed demon that killed my mother.”
“I don’t know did you see the gray flash that I saw out there?” she asked as she tilted her head to the side.  She seemed sympathetic to my silence.
“I did, I think it may have been a wolf.”
“That is what I thought, but they do not move that fast, unless they are somehow possessed.”
I nodded, those were my thoughts exactly.  But why?  A possessed wolf killing cattle?  What would be the purpose if not just to cause fear and panic?   
We sat in a companionable silence until our food arrived.  We had both order breakfast since it was already after one in the morning.  

    “So when did you start hunting?” I asked between bites.
“Well I have done it off and on since I was around seventeen.  It wasn’t a career choice but the more I dug into the information the more I wanted to help.  I mean its stupid really I should have gone to college or moved to New York to act,” she said with a smile.
“Is that what you had planned?”
“Yeah I wanted to model, but like I said I guess I needed to do something I felt that mattered.  It has never been a full time thing neither has waitressing.  I take online classes right now because I have connections at the local college and I plan to teach part time when I receive my certification.”
“For?”
“Computer programming.”
“That sounds like a nice plan.  Would you be able to leave and go hunt?’
“I will have an assistant so that will not be an issue.”
I liked that she had a plan, I wished I had one.  At that moment my thoughts drifted toward her lips again.  My heart had not stopped reacting to her from earlier and it was a bit disconcerting.  

    “So Sam are we going to figure this out together or are you moving on?” she teased me with a grin.
“Oh um, I wouldn’t mind help with this case.  It doesn’t seem like the yellow eyed demon is involved as I thought earlier so I can safely call Dean to tell him to stay put.”
“Sounds like a plan, we should probably get some sleep after this and I can meet you after work to discuss this so we can do some research before we head out again tomorrow night.”
I laughed.  She was a woman who know what she wanted.  I had an idea that meeting her was not an accident.  It could have been fate, kismet or serendipity but not an accident.

TBC