Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Jason stayed with Cassie and Dean for almost a month until Courtney was well enough to fly in to pick him up. Cassie had agreed to let her stay the night instead of taking Jason to the airport to go back with his mother since the idea seemed so insensitive. Dee Dee heard the doorbell and was excited with the thought that it was her uncle.

"Uncle Sam, uncle Sam," she cried as she ran to the door.

"No Sweetie Uncle Sam isn't coming until next month, settle down now," Cassie said as she pulled her daughter away from the door.

Courtney stood there with a frown on her face as she openly looked at Cassie's stomach. "Come in," Cassie said as she moved Deana out of the way.

"Thanks," was all Courtney said as she dragged her overnight bag.

Cassie wanted to be nice to the woman that seemed to have nothing but anger for her.

"I'm not pregnant so you can stop staring, I am not a freaking baby making machine," she said as she walked back to the kitchen leaving Courtney to dump her bag in the entryway.

Courtney didn't apologize but felt justified in getting Cassie angry.

"Where should I put the bag," she asked when she finally showed up in the kitchen a moment later to see her son happily eating a snack in the high chair while Marty played in the play pin. Deanna came in and just stared at the lady who stood awkwardly in her kitchen, why are you here? Cassie had hoped Courtney would show up after Dean was off work. She had no patience to deal with the woman who seemed determined to cause a rift if not completely break up her happy home.

"Look, I am sorry that you were ill but I will not put up with your indifference to my place in Jason's life. I am Dean's wife and you Damn well need to respect that," Cassie said as she glared at Courtney who only looked at her like she had no idea why she was upset.

"I get that, you have told me in a hundred ways," she replied as she rolled her eyes at Cassie.

Cassie felt like kicking her sorry butt out of her house, if it weren't for the sweet little kid who sat ignoring his mother as he enjoyed his crackers. She had to relax, pregnant or not she would not let Courtney push her over the edge. She loved her husband and since Jason was a part of their lives then she would try to be civil if only to spite Courtney.

She took a deep breath.

"Would you like some lunch?" she asked as kindly as she could muster.

Courtney nodded as she took a chair closest to Jason.

"Hey Sweetie, " she said to the little boy who only at the moment acknowledged her presence.

"Mama, mama," he said as he reached out his dirty hands toward her.

Cassie brought her a towel to wipe his hands off with.

"Thanks."

Dean showed up on time after work and seemed surprised to see Courtney in the living room with the children while Cassie worked on dinner in the kitchen.

"When did she get here?" he asked as he kissed Cassie.

She told him around lunch as she scrunched up her face like she wanted to strangle Courtney.

"Sorry about that," he said as he pulled her to him gently as he avoided getting oil on her.

"It's not your fault she is acting like a slutty home wrecker."

"It doesn't matter how she acts but how you respond, that is what some wise woman once told me."

"Maybe that woman hadn't had to deal with her adversary very often," she replied with a grin.

"Try not to let her get to you its only overnight and its for Jason, okay." With another kiss Dean headed for the shower.

Damn Courtney, why was she always pushing Cassie's buttons? He couldn't be any clearer about the fact that he was where he wanted to be. He had never allowed Courtney to believe anything else. He closed his eyes as the warm water washed the kinks from his stiff arms. Being under a car for hours at a time made him feel like he needed to get more exercise. He had began to work out with some of the guys from work a few weeks before Jason arrived but afterward he felt he needed to be home after work to help Cassie with the kids. He missed that time but now that Jason was leaving he would be able to resume his workouts, at least occasionally. If Cassie thought he had only been coming home on time because of Jason she would be livid because he needed to be around for their children too.

Courtney could tell Dee Dee had finally begun to accept Jason in her house though she still seemed stand offish toward her. The little girl tentatively leaned against the sofa near Courtney before she saw her daddy come in the room.

"Daddy," she said as Dean caught her up in his arms.

"Hey Sweetie," he said before he kissed her and acknowledged Courtney with a nod as he went to hug his sons.

Marty went immediately back to play when Dean sat him back down but Jason clung to him a bit longer as he looked at his mother across the room.

"Daddy," he said to Dean who was going to miss having the kid around.

He gave Jason to Courtney just before Cassie came in the room to let them know supper was ready though she had only ordered a pizza today to go along with a hand made salad. The children all had their own foods to eat, especially Marty who still drank breast milk as a supplement to his cereals and organic foods.

At the airport the next day Jason cried when Dean handed him over to his mother; Dean was unexpectantly sad himself to watch his son leave. Maybe having him around hadn't been a great idea after all. Cassie watched him as he tried to make Jason understand that they would see each other soon. She felt sorry for her husband it seemed each time he attempted to do the right thing it blew up in his face. She prayed some day things would be right the way they were before Courtney knocked on their front door.

John showed up for a surprise visit the week before Sam and Sara were scheduled to arrive for the summer. He knocked on the door on a windy Thursday afternoon, once again Dee Dee expected it to be her uncle Sam.

"John, oh my gosh, come in," an elated Cassie said to the older man.

"Hey Cassie," he said as he hugged her and Dee Dee too who seemed to be standing between them.

"Papa," she said with a grin as her grandfather held her.

Deanna had only seen John a few times over the years since he had gone to Europe for a long vacation after the Demon was killed. He told Sam and Dean he just needed some time to think about his life. He called in frequently but sent post cards from all over. Cassie was glad to see him and broke down in tears once Dee Dee wondered off to play.

"What is it? Is it Dean? He isn't being his old unemotional self is he?" John asked as they both sat down at the kitchen table.

"No, no,….I'm sorry I shouldn't have done that."

"What? You mean get emotional at seeing your father in law?" John teased her.

She shook her head then tried to smile before getting up to get them a beer. But after she had the drink in front of her she shook her head and pushed it aside while John took a long swig of his. He looked in her troubled eyes and knew something was very wrong.

"Cassie you can talk to me, spill your guts it will between us if you want."

No, first she confided in Sam now John, she couldn't do it she needed to talk to Dean. She hated being weepy and she knew that was a good sign of what she was hoping wasn't true. She bit her lip as John's look of concern almost made her confess; then the back door opened and Dean walked in early from work.

"Dad?"

"Hey son," John said before Dean engulfed him in a hug.

Dean smiled at Cassie as she stood beside him.

"Go ahead kiss your bride, I don't mind," John teased.

He hoped that Cassie would get some release from what ever was bothering her; she probably didn't realize her smile didn't quite reach her eyes. Dean held her close and he knew she was unhappy about something. He looked in her face before he kissed her and a tear fell on his cheek.

"Cas?"

"I'm sorry," she said as she ran from the room.

Dean looked at John who motioned for him to go after her. On his way out to the kitchen Dee Dee saw him and ran to hug him. After a moment John took her from Dean to go check on Marty.

"Go on son," I think she needs to tell you something.

Cassie stood in the closet as Dean opened the door. She tried to dry her eyes just before he put his hand around her waist. God help me know what to do?

"Cas, what's wrong? Please don't start hiding things from me."

She just stood with her back to him. He took a step back to get out of his oily clothes as he waited for her to respond. Once he had on his lounge pants and a clean shirt he turned her to face him.

"Cas, I know you are pregnant."

"I can't be its too much, I can't do it."

Dean frowned, " What do you mean?"

In the back of her mind she knew she could never have an abortion but she had also wanted to believe that their precautions would be enough.

"It's too much; too many babies."

"You would consider getting rid of our child? I love you, what the hell is too many? You thought Courtney was bad, she didn't have anyone to help her, to love her," he yelled.

She swallowed as tears flowed from her eyes. Dean knew his being angry wasn't helping, why did she always push him away when they were close? Why would she ever consider not having her husband's child? That was unacceptable to him. He didn't care how much he heard the media say it's the woman's body. Well she was his wife that had to mean something. He wanted to shake some sense into her but he wouldn't hurt her, he couldn't he loved her too much. He used to think she loved him too. Instead he left the room and the house as his father stared after him.

John watched Dean leave the house to go sit outside in the shade. Dee Dee stood at the door as she watched her daddy. Daddy don't be sad. Dean turned around to see the little girl at the door and motioned that she could come out. Once he held her in his lap he started to cry too. John watched from the window in shock that Dean would allow himself to lose his emotions so fully. He was uneasy with watching his son so he thought he should go check on daughter in law.

Cassie was in the nursery playing with Marty in the floor. She seemed to be okay but the sadness was still in her eyes. Marty smiled up at John as he reached to pick up his grandson.

"Did Dean tell you he has another child?"

John's jaw dropped as Cassie began to tell him the story of Jason and Courtney. Cassie ran to get the phone just as she finished the story.

"That was Sammy he and Sara are on the way here from the airport and they are a week early," Cassie said as she stopped by the nursery to tell John before she went to find Dee Dee.

John shook his head, Winchester timing was never the best why should today be any different. Dean has another child?

Cassie watched Dee Dee and Dean from the window. Why was she torturing her husband? Why was she pregnant again, she had taken the pill? Maybe God knew better than them that he wanted them to be fruitful? She laughed, but she wasn't wonder woman and she really had hoped to go back to writing soon. Maybe she was being selfish. Dean looked up to see her watching him. He didn't smile and it frightened her. She was pushing him too far, once again she was pushing him away. Why was being happy so undesirable to her? They were doing so well, even the thing with Jason was coming along nicely. She had decided to go outside to talk to him when he came in the door and handed her Dee Dee as he headed toward their bedroom.

"Dean, Sam and Sara are on their way here."

"Good then you will have someone to talk to while I am gone," he said as he changed into his jeans then grabbed his jacket on the way to the door.

She followed him and he stopped for a moment to look at her.

"Dean?"

"Yes, Cassandra," he said as he looked into her sad eyes, but it wasn't enough for him to stay.

It was all he said before he walked out.

He didn't know what else to do but remove himself from her presence before he lost control. John touched Cassie on the shoulder as she watched Dean leave.

"Give him some time to get over what ever you told him, Cassie, you know he will be back."

" I don't know, John, I think if my husband believes I would get rid of his baby that would be the last straw."

Sam knew Cassie had told Dean as soon as he walked in the door. She went into his arms.

"Sam, I am worse than Courtney. I love Dean why would he believe I don't want our baby? I am an idiot, once again, could he really think I would do anything but love our child? He mis-understood my hesitancy."

"I think he should have discussed it with you and try to convince you, not walk out. You know Dean he just pig headed. I will go find him."

"No, Sam he may just need some time alone." John suggested as they headed to the sofa to get out of the front door.

"I think he is right Sam he may need to go through this on his own for a while," Sara insisted.

"Yeah, but Dean will just get "wasted" he won't actually think," Sam said as he ran his hands through his long brown hair.

"I hope he only gets "wasted" last time he was angry with me, he sired Jason. I should go find him before he does something he will regret." Cassie said.

TBC