Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This story is based on the fact of how illogical it was for Dean to go see Lisa in 99 Problems it could be considered a Tag fic to that but it is so much deeper. Enjoy.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Dean was on the elevator in Cassie’s building before he realized he had made a decision. The first few hours after Sam had fallen into the large hole in the ground, Dean had been numb. Castiel had tried to talk Dean into going to stay with Bobby for a while. Neither of the other men thought it was safe or a good idea for Dean to be alone. Dean was admittedly a bit angry as he told them he would be fine. He drove away as the gravel flew in all directions behind the Impala.
Castiel had gone off back to heaven while Bobby back to South Dakota after he couldn’t convince Dean to go with him.
---
The over six hundred miles from Detroit to New York Dean drove on adrenaline alone. His entire body was in over drive. There were parts of him that didn’t’ want Cassie to find out about the earthquake that had been caused by the ground that opened up to swallow Sam. He was certain that the reports were on the news but she had no way to know that it involved the Winchesters. It wasn't a part of the story he planned on revealing.

He didn’t want her to think that he had been killed or that he had forgotten her. There were other parts of him, that is most of him, that wanted to jump into the ground with his brother. His logic allowed him to keep the Impala pointed in Cassie’s direction to fulfill his brother’s dying wish; that was for Dean to live a normal life.

Sam never knew that Dean had gone to see Cassie before when he disappeared. He had blown off all questions his little brother had thrown at him over interim weeks. He had not spoken to Cassie since then but they had played phone tag with voice mails. Cassie was a busy reporter and for him that would be one thing about normal life that appealed to him. As much as he loved her he didn’t think he would enjoy being smothered suddenly by womanly attention.

He already appreciated Cassie’s choice of residences. She lived in the small town of Tuckahoe, New York just over a half hour from Grand Central terminal and Manhattan. The place was quaint and surprisingly a bit ritzy. Dean didn’t think he could have chosen a better place to come to try to be normal. It would be all about being anonymous which was nice for a man who had been recenly on the hit list of heaven.
---
Dean ran into Sharon as she left the condo; he smiled awkwardly at her.
“Hey,” he said almost shyly with his hands in his pockets as he unconsciously channeled Sam.
“Hi, you are Dean, right?”
He nodded.
“Cas is still at work; you want to go on you can. I have plans so I will be out of you guys way,” she said with a smile and a tilt of the head.
“Okay.”
“You okay?”
“I’ll be fine,” he said with a slight smile before Sharon closed the door.
He wasn’t sure if he would ever be truly fine again as he headed to the bedroom to strip and lie down.

--Cassie found Dean in her bed asleep several hours later. Sharon had called her with a heads up to keep her from working late into the night the way she did at times. Sharon thought too many times. Cassie was sick in love with Dean and her work was a testament to her will power to not give in to the many men that wanted to go out with her.


Cassie bit her lip as she glanced over at him while she undressed to take a quick shower. He seemed dead to the world as he softly snored in his sleep. She would try not to wake him she thought as she slid in under the spray of water.

--Twenty minutes later, Cassie felt refreshed as she wrapped the orange terry towel around her. She sighed before she stepped into her bedroom to find Dean awake. His smirk was missing from his face; a sign that things had not gone well.
“Babe, what happened? Don’t lie to me I can see in your face that something is terribly wrong,” she said before she sat on the bed.
“Sam is gone,” he stated before he pulled her to him.
She wrapped her arms tight around his body as she moved closer to him while the towel fell.
“I’m sorry,” she said as she put her head against his.
Dean leaned into her as he tried not to lose himself to the tears that eventually would come. He was surprised he had slept at all but his body had been tired just as his heart was broken for his brother.


Dean was quiet though Cassie didn’t expect him to say much she did want to know what he planned to do. She hesitated to ask right away.
“You can stay here as long as you want,” she leaned away from him as she looked into his sad eyes, “I won’t ask questions, Dean, but I hope in a while you will tell me what happened, okay.”
He leaned up to kiss her with a nod. He felt lucky to have Cassie. Sometimes a man just needed to be babied a bit but mostly understood.

---It was the first time that the two of them had slept in the same bed without having sex and Cassie liked it. They spooned together and slept for almost three hours. Cassie had no idea that she was so bone tired. Dean awakened before her to watch her sleep because he didn’t want to wake her.
Finally she rubbed her eyes and woke up complaining.
“I’m so hungry,” she said as though it was something that never happened to her.
Dean smiled, “Let’s go get something to eat.”
“I have food here, there’s leftover Chinese and pizza,” she said with a grin at him as she pushed him down then ran toward the kitchen as though they were children and she wanted her pick first.
Dean followed her with a grin on his face, “I think you are ashamed to be seen with me.”
She shook her head, “Yeah that makes sense,” she said as she put the pizza in the microwave then set the button.
He raised his eyebrow at her, “I get the Chinese?”
“No, I’m warming the pizza for you silly,” she said before she pushed him against the counter.
“Oh I like the way you think,” he replied before he kissed her waiting lips.

---Dean tried to be cheerful that day with Cassie but even after they made love that night and she lie soundly asleep in his arms he couldn’t turn off the memory of Sam falling into the pit. He wanted to do his best to honor his brother’s wishes for him. He wanted to enjoy the woman he loved that had taken him in without question but it would take time. He had time.
---Meanwhile----
Lucifer wanted to enjoy his torture of Sam but Sam didn’t break easily. He hadn’t screamed once in all the hours he had been beaten, torn to bits and reanimated. It had been more than a week in hell time for Sam. There was nothing for him to do but to resist the temptation to cry out in pain. He went to a place in his mind were no one could harm him. He went to a time when his brother held him in his arms and rescued him from the Fire. It was all he needed to frustrate the one who had turned on him as soon as he said yes.
---

End Part one






Chapter End Notes:
I possibly might tweak this chapter but for now, let me know what you think.