Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Bill stood motionless on Sookie's front porch, his fingers hovering over the door bell. His stomach churned with dread.

She told him to stay away. And he did for exactly three nights, four hours, twenty-three minutes and sixteen seconds. He attempted to go see her at Merlotte's the other night. When he got there, Sam was standing at the entrance with a stake in his hand, telling him he was no longer welcome in his establishment. He also called her on the phone countless times, begging for her forgiveness, only to hear the deafening sound of the dial tone seconds later. Bill could not bear it any longer. He had to see her, talk to her, even if all she did was curse at him and slam the door in his face. Anything would be better than total avoidance.

They had disagreements and separations before, but nothing like this. When Eric forced him to reveal his true motives for coming to Bon Temps, his heart broke, knowing each word that fell from his lips was killing her... Killing their love. She rescinded his invitation and told him she never wanted to see him again. All humanity had left him that night. He was filled with a black rage so great that he wanted to rip both Eric and the Queen of Louisiana limb from limb. He succeeded in killing the Queen, but Eric had proven to be a much more elusive target. He would deal with him later, but for now he was here, waiting, hoping…

He pressed the door bell, once, twice, a third time... Silence. Using his keen hearing, he listened for any sign of movement inside. Faintly, he could hear the shuffling of feet, slow, but purposeful. It was a woman's stride, similar in height and weight, but obviously not his Sookie. Bill could recognize Sookie's footsteps in a crowded room with his eyes closed. The door opened and he came face to face with Tara Thornton, his former lover's roommate and closest confidant.

"What the fuck do you want?" She said, her big brown eyes glaring at him with contempt.

Bill was not put off by this terse greeting. He'd come to expect it from Tara, who made no secret of her disgust for him and all his kind. He didn't blame her after the ordeal she'd suffered at the hands of Franklin Mott, an obsessed psychopath who had kidnapped and tried to coerce her into being his vampire bride.

He gave her a stiff nod. "I have come to call on Sookie. Is she here?"

Her nostrils flared and her arched brows drew in. She planted a hand on her hip. "No, she ain't here, which I'm sure you already know, seeing as you vamps can track us by our blood. Lord knows you and Sookie have exchanged enough of it."

Bill touched the frame of the door. He could feel an electric buzz from the invisible barrier that now barred him from entering his former lover's home.

"Do you know when she will return?"

Tara crossed her arms over her small, pert breasts in a purple tank top that molded to her curves. Bill had always thought the color complimented her dark complexion.

"You think I would fuckin' tell you if I did?"

"No, considering your loyalty to Sookie, I expect that you would not."

"Good, I'm glad we got that straight." She moved to shut the door in his face.

"Wait, please. I have something I would like to give to Sookie… And to you."

Tara paused, her dark eyes narrowed. "I ain't lettin' you into this house."

"I am not asking you too." He took the thick envelope from his inside jacket pocket.

"I know that things have been…" He tried to think of appropriate word, "…traumatic for you and Sookie. And you both had to take time off work. I realize you have suffered financially as well, so I would like to give you this as a way of …"

"That better not be what I think it is." She said, cutting him off. She stared at the envelope as if it were covered in maggots.

"I been saving it up for some time now and thought that you may have a more practical need for it."

Tara's gaze met his. His spine stiffened. "You really think that we would take one penny of your fuckin' money after what you did… To her? To me?"

Bill's unbeating heart twisted in his chest. Of course Sookie would have confided in her best friend. Tara's heated look confirmed it. There was no doubt in his mind that she knew of his betrayal; how he had allowed the Rattrays to viciously attack Sookie so he could feed her his blood. More proof of what she considered his true nature. Ruthless. Evil.

"Please…" his voice choked as he spoke, "let me explain. I was under the direct orders of my Queen. I didn't know-."

"I don't give a fuck whose orders you were under. You let my friend get hurt. You used and manipulated her, and when she was crazy enough to put her life, our lives, on the line to save your worthless ass, you almost killed her for her trouble. I told her you were no different than Franklin, and I was right. You're all evil, soulless motherfuckers draining the life out us. I'd be happy when the day comes when we're all rid of you."

He was not surprised by her reaction, but the venom of her words still wounded him. Tears tinged with red blurred his vision, but he would not allow them to fall. He swallowed the acid burning his throat and grappled for the right words. "I am truly sorry for the pain I caused. I know I never apologized to you directly, but you must believe me. I wanted to help you, Tara, but there was nothing I could do. I was outnumbered by vampires much older and stronger than I. I would have been overpowered within seconds if I had attempted to rescue you. Lorena would have killed you instantly if she knew how important you are to Sookie… And to me."

"So you left me to that psycho…" Her eyes widened with each word. He could hear her heart beat racing, and the rush of blood in her veins as her anger poured out. "… Let him tie me up, torture and rape me?"

He started to reach for her, but the charge from the barrier intensified. He dropped his hand back to his side. "I-I am so, so sorry, Tara, for everything. If I could take it all back…make it so it never happened, I would." His tears broke free like an opened spigot. He wiped the bloody liquid from his cheeks, not caring that it smeared his face and fingers. "Please, just take it," he said, holding the envelope out for her. "It's the only other way I know to make amends."

She snatched it from his hands and threw it out into the yard. It landed in the graveled driveway, the bills spilling out onto the ground. "I don't want your fuckin' charity!"

Her chin quivered and eyes liquid with unshed tears. "We don't ever wanna see you 'round here again. You got that?"

"Please, Tara, if you would just listen…"

"No, you listen! I may not have killed you the first time, but don't think for a second I won't find a way to finish the job. Now get the hell out of here, before I borrow Jason's gun and put a wooden bullet in your ass!"

The door slammed. Bill let out a breathless sigh. What more could he do? He bounded down the steps, moving slower than usual. He picked up the money and shoved it back in the envelope. He glanced over his shoulder one last time before heading back to his home, which now felt more like a tomb.






Chapter End Notes:
Ahhh, poor Bill. Maybe you can cheer him up by leaving a review!