Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I didn't mention I was on a little bit of a role there did I? This one is short. 


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


After Jade left the restaurant, Dani spent a couple of hours helping out the staff. When she arrived home, after picking up AJ from the sitter, Dani gave Luke a call. She first tried his home phone, but there was no answer. She then attempted to reach him on his cell phone, and again she was unsuccessful. Her final resort was to call his office.

It was one of those evenings for Luke. Less than a week ago, the firm acquired a new high profile client who was in the process of merging with another large company. Throughout the process the two organizations were using in-house lawyers, which was not something Luke, or any law firm that dealt with mergers, would suggest companies do. There are a lot of nuances to the law that in-house lawyers just do not understand. Having just received the last bit of paperwork from the two companies, Luke was working through the night to finish the work that needed to be done. The firm’s new client wanted to have everything neatly wrapped up by the end of the month, an almost impossible task.

Normally, this type of challenge was something Luke thrived on. But lately, his heart had not been in his work like it used to be. He knew he was up for a promotion soon, but the past few weeks Luke had been distracted. It was only after his night out with his friends that he came up with a reasonable excuse for the distraction. Well, a reasonable excuse to him.

Luke always knew he wanted a family. He came from a large close extended family. Luke wanted the whole thing the wife, the 2.5 kids, the dog and the white picket fence. Maybe not the fence, he lived in the city. But being who he was, a firm believer in fate, Luke never laid out any plans or a timetable that would help him accomplish those goals. He wanted everything to magically just land in front of him.

Luke was busy being distracted by his thoughts when his office phone rang.

“Carrington,” he said into the phone.

“Luke, what the hell are you still doing at the office. It’s almost ten.” Dani asked.

“New client with a speedy timetable. What’s up Dee?” He asked grateful for the distraction from his distraction.

“Guess who I’m working with for the whole foundation thing?”

“Umm... Jade?” Luke said.

“Well, of course. I already told you that. But her friend, the one I told you she was going to try and get to work with us. Her friend is Cassie.”

“Cassie?” Luke asked, maybe fate was telling him something. He shook his head. Luke definitely wanted to help Cassie, but that was all he wanted. Or at least that was what he kept telling himself.

“Yeah, Cassie. We are going to work together. The four of us had a pretty good meeting this afternoon.”

“That’s interesting. What did she say?”

“She remembered me and I suggested we get together and catch-up. Her response was very much a noncommittal brush off.”

“Oh.” Luke was slightly disappointed that he did not come up in the conversation and it showed in his response.

Dani smiled to herself. Maybe it would not be as hard as she previously thought it would to push her friend in a certain direction. “I told her that you mentioned your run-ins with her and she made a comment about your whole fate thing.”

“She did.”

“Yeah Luke she did. Seems like I’m not the only one who doesn’t buy your whole ‘belief in fate’ thing you’ve got going on.”

“Oh come on Dani. I honestly believe that coincidences are more than just coincidences. Fate makes things happen.”

“No Luke, people make things happen. Sometimes coincidences are just coincidences, and  sometimes they are more than that.  At the same time Luke, you can’t depend on fate to get things done. Maybe fate does exist to bring people together. But you have to make something of that. If you sit around waiting for signs from all sorts of coincidences, you’ll end up confused and alone. Or worse, confused and with some gold-digging slut who doesn’t realize what a great guy you are.”

“Dani...”

“Luke, just think about it okay. Stop waiting for things to happen and take action. You say you want to help Cassie, but you’re sitting on your ass waiting for the next time you just happen to run into each other. Life does not work like that.” Dani explained.

“Maybe you’re right.” Luke conceded.

“I am right. And another thing, stop saying you just want to ‘help’ Cassie. There is more to that. You are just too afraid to look deeper and figure out what you really feel, what you really want. Maybe it’s not love, maybe it is. Maybe it’s curiosity. Or maybe you just want a friend, a second shot at a missed connection. I can’t tell you what it is, but it’s obvious you want more than to just ‘help Cassie.’ Man-up, face yourself and make something happen, Luke.”

“Why are you so adamant about this, Dee?” Luke asked.

“Because, I know you are not where you want to be in life. And maybe Cassie is supposed to only be a friend. But knowing that and knowing how to make things happen for yourself, will help get you to where you want to go. I just want you to be happy Luke. And it would be nice for AJ to have some little friends to play with. I’m just saying...” Dani said to lighten the mood.

Luke smiled, Dani was right. “Thanks Dee.”

“Not a problem. I’m here if you need me. Anyway I have to go. Hubby coming home early from the restaurant tonight. Need to go get ready. I’m going to...”

“Dani please do not finish that sentence. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Alright. Goodnight Luke.”

Luke hung up the phone. Make something happen, he thought. He could do that.





Chapter End Notes:
This one might be the last for a while. Classes start back next week and I'm doing some work this week so... We'll see about more chapters. Thanks for reading!