Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Luke’s conversation with Dani had him thinking. He knew he wanted to ‘make something happen,’ as Dani had put it, but he did not know where to start. In his previous run-ins with Cassie, he had not asked for any type of contact information, which made it kind of hard for him to ‘make something happen.’ He sat contemplating ways to get off his ass and put things in motion. Luke considered spending every lunch hour at ‘their deli,’ but he wondered if that would be considered stalking. I just need fate, or coincidence to step in one more time so I can take advantage of the opportunity.

Instead of fate or coincidence, Luke got a couple of meddling friends.

It was another late night at the office for Luke. Stacks of folders sat on his desk waiting to be reviewed. He let his office phone ring twice before answering.

“Carrington,” he said rubbing his eyes; he really did not want to be at his office at that moment.

“Another late night?” Dani asked.

“Yeah Dee, another late night. What’s up?”

“Two weeks from yesterday what are your plans?”

“My plans?” Luke asked. “I guess my plans have already been made for me haven’t they?”

Dani laughed into the phone. “Not necessarily, but you should have your assistant keep that evening blocked off. Alex has finished working on some new items for the menu, and you know the drill.” She explained.

“I know, I know. I’ll inform Sherri to put it in my schedule.” Luke said exasperatedly as he scrolled through his already full calendar on the computer.

“How are you doing Luke?” Dani asked concerned. “We haven’t really talked in about a week.”

“Work controls my life.”

“I think you let it control your life. You should take an evening off for once. How long has it been since you went out with Alex and the guys?”

“It hasn’t been that long only a couple of weeks. But some nights it feels longer than that.”

“You need to relax Luke.”

“Dani, I don’t have time to do that.”

“Right. I was just calling to let you know about the dinner invitation.” Dani explained.

“Yeah, thanks for telling me. I’ll call you soon.”

“You better, or else I’m revoking your godfather title.” Dani threatened.

Luke smiled, “Whatever you say. Good night Dani.”

Both Luke and Dani hung up the phone. Luke looked around his office. Work really was starting to consume him. From the open blinds of his glass walled office, Luke could tell he was one of the only people left at the office. Everyone else seemed to have plans. They seemed to have families to whom they went home. After signing off on a few files, Luke decided it was time to call it a night. He gathered his things and flipped the light switch, clothing the room in darkness.


Across town Cassie and Jade were spending the evening at Cassie’s apartment having drinks and catching up with the happenings of the past week.

“So, did you do anything interesting this week, other than our meeting with Sean and Dani of course?” Jade asked as she sipped a martini.

“I finished the book I was reading.” Cassie supplied.

“Okay, that doesn’t sound interesting at all. You’re telling me you sat here in this apartment by yourself reading a book all week.”

“Jade, you make it sound like a bad thing.”

“When did you become so boring?” Jade asked.

“I’m not boring. I just...” Cassie trailed off; she was not sure how she wanted to finish the sentence.

“You just what, Cassie?” Jade asked. “Ever since you’ve been home, you haven’t done anything. The only time you go out is to eat, or to attend the foundation meetings. It’s almost like you had your world adventures and then came home only to be stuck in the same place you were before you left. I thought you were moving forward.”

“I am. I just haven’t found anything that I’m interested in anymore. And at least I’m not still grieving Christian.”

“Yeah, instead you push people away because he broke your heart,” mumbled Jade.

Cassie shot a look Jade’s way that would have set her on fire if Cassie had telekinetic abilities. “I do not push people away!”

“Of course you don’t, Cassie,” said Jade sarcastically. “What about the friends you had before you left? They sure as hell aren’t here. You know as well as I do that it’s not because they don’t want to be, but because you won’t let them.”

“I can’t be around them. They remind me of what I can’t do anymore. I can’t sing; I can’t write!”

“You can’t or you won’t?!” Jade asked. She was getting tired of this game.

Cassie looked into her glass and swirled the contents around. The sound of the ice as it clinked against the glass reverberated throughout the apartment.

Jade rolled her eyes, “okay then forget about them. What about Luke and Dani? All they want is...” Jade stopped mid-sentence. “You know what, forget it.”

The two friends sat in silence, neither dared to say a word. Cassie had no response, and Jade was frustrated.

When the silence became too much for Jade, she decided to start a different conversation. “I talked to Dani last night.”

“Oh, were you discussing ideas for the foundation?” Cassie asked.

“No, she was telling me Alex has a few new recipes for the menu he wants to try out. Dani invited us to a get-together in a couple of weeks. It’s kind of like a tasting.” Jade explained, conveniently leaving out the fact Luke would also be at the tasting event. The two had already argued enough for the night.

“That sounds fun. I’m always up for trying new things,” Cassie said.

“Right, if that’s so, then why aren’t you up for trying new relationships?” Jade asked.

Cassie narrowed her eyes.

“Right, we shelved that conversation,” said Jade closing her eyes trying to remain calm. “Does that mean you’re going to come?” She asked instead of diving back into their earlier conversation.

“Yes, that means I’m going to come. Why wouldn’t I?” Cassie asked not thinking about who else might be in attendance.

Only because you obviously don’t want to let new people into your life, Jade thought to herself. “No reason,” said Jade Instead of voicing her opinion. She finished off her martini. “I’m going to make myself another drink. Do you want one?” She asked standing up from where she was sitting on the couch.

“No, I’m fine,” said Cassie as she watched her friend leave the room for more alcohol. While she waited for Jade to return Cassie began to seriously think about their earlier conversation. Despite what Jade said, Cassie had begun to realize how much she missed the company of others. Maybe Jade was right; Cassie was pushing people away and punishing them for what Christian did. But she only did it to protect herself, to protect her heart. Cassie refused to be hurt again.






Chapter End Notes:

To those who are still reading, thanks for still sticking with me.